PDA

View Full Version : Philip Wheeler / MLB / Georgia Tech / 2nd-3rd Round

TacticaLion
02-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Height: 6-2 | Weight: 230 | 40-Time: 4.50

Strengths:
A great athlete...Excellent timed speed...Good quickness with a burst to close...A very good pass rusher and blitzer...Has sideline-to-sideline range...Big hitter and solid tackler...Terrific instincts...Extremely active...Does okay when dropping into a zone...Smart...Good leader...Versatile...Real productive...Durable and experienced.

Weaknesses:
Undersized and doesn't have the size or bulk that you look for...Too aggressive at times...Has some trouble getting off blocks...Not stout at the point...Questionable man coverage skills...Lacks fluid hips...Displays poor hand use...Must get stronger.

Notes:
A three-year starter in the ACC...Began his career as a defensive end...Played the middle in college but many are projecting him to the weakside at the next level...A talented playmaking linebacker with solid physical tools and a well-rounded game.If we draft a CB or DE in round 1, I'd like to grab Wheeler in round 2. A fast, active, instinctive hitter with sideline to sideline range... sounds like the Snakecharmer.

Any draft that has a CB in round 1 and this guy in round 2 is a solid draft, IMO. (Trading/moving back up and grabbing Godfrey would leave us with 2 talented CBs and a starter at MLB... great first day.)

(Poll note: Instead of selecting your opinion of his value, select your opinion of his priority in the projected round. For example: If you vote 1, he's your highest ranked prospect in the projected round. If you vote 2, there's one better prospect in the projected round. Voting 5 suggests that you have 5 or more prospects ranked above him in the projected round.)

Brothgar
02-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Are we basing this off from scott's mock?

TacticaLion
02-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Are we basing this off from scott's mock?

What part? The poll?

The poll is just your opinion. If you think that we wont (or shouldn't) target MLB in the first round, but want to in the second, this might be your favorite prospect. If it is, select the top option. If there's one other player you'd rather have, select the second option.

The poll is your opinion... your ideal selection.

Brothgar
02-03-2008, 01:02 AM
What part? The poll?

The poll is just your opinion. If you think that we wont (or shouldn't) target MLB in the first round, but want to in the second, this might be your favorite prospect. If it is, select the top option. If there's one other player you'd rather have, select the second option.

The poll is your opinion... your ideal selection.

For example in the Dan Connor question they Scott has Jeff Otah going to Chicago before he gets to Detroit at 15 but I would rather have Otah are we basing players we'd rather have on availability in scotts mock?

TacticaLion
02-03-2008, 01:05 AM
For example in the Dan Connor question they Scott has Jeff Otah going to Chicago before he gets to Detroit at 15 but I would rather have Otah are we basing players we'd rather have on availability in scotts mock?Nope.

If you think Otah could be there at 15 (and he definitely could), you can consider him in your ranking. Hoping that Chris Long drops to 15 is much different story...

If it's within a few picks, it's reasonable. The poll doesn't matter that much... just ball park. Some people know exactly which players they want in each round and some don't.

woodnick
02-03-2008, 10:18 AM
He should be decent, he seemed to do pretty well in the senior bowl and if one of the knocks on him is being too agressive at times than it seems like that could be a good problem to have for a position as physical as MLB. Not a bad option, depending on his combine #'s he might slip to the 3rd.

jason96r
02-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I really like Wheeler he can really blitz and get after the passer. Also, can you put up the information on pass rushers for us to get in the 1st like Phillip Merling from Clemson, also maybe Harvey from Florida.

Addict
02-05-2008, 03:32 PM
I think if wheeler's there, he's definately worth a look...

TacticaLion
02-05-2008, 03:47 PM
I really like Wheeler he can really blitz and get after the passer. Also, can you put up the information on pass rushers for us to get in the 1st like Phillip Merling from Clemson, also maybe Harvey from Florida.

Yep. Once their Scouting Reports come up, I'll post them.

jason96r
02-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks. I knew they weren't up but I thought maybe you knew of another location.

TacticaLion
02-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks. I knew they weren't up but I thought maybe you knew of another location.

Nah... I wish. If anyone knows, I'll add reports to the posts that are up and post the new ones.

Let me know.

Bootland27
02-05-2008, 07:56 PM
The thing about wheeler is that he may be too small to play MLB, and it even says in the report that he's better suited to be a WLB.

jason96r
02-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I thought Wheeler weighed in at 245lb at the Senior Bowl.

Scotty D
02-05-2008, 09:48 PM
I think Wheeler could play any LB position for us. Top prospect for our second round pick.

TacticaLion
02-05-2008, 10:34 PM
I think Wheeler could play any LB position for us. Top prospect for our second round pick.

That's exactly how I feel.

I'm hesitant to call any player "too small" at this point... many of the greatest players were once called "too" something. Talent/instincts/skill win over height/weight.

Addict
02-06-2008, 03:36 AM
That's exactly how I feel.

I'm hesitant to call any player "too small" at this point... many of the greatest players were once called "too" something. Talent/instincts/skill win over height/weight.

Ernie Sims #50 | Linebacker | Detroit Lions
Roster:
Height: 6-0 Weight: 225
Born: Dec 23, 1984 - Tallahassee, FL
College: Florida State
Draft: 2006 - 1st round (9th pick) by the Detroit Lion

Our top defender isn't exactly huge either.

TacticaLion
02-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Our top defender isn't exactly huge either.

Exactly. Sims wouldn't be the same with 50 lbs added...

Addict
02-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Exactly. Sims wouldn't be the same with 50 lbs added...

yeah, and height-wise Wheeler's a more prototypical type as well.