PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Jones Wants Out

SillyRyno
02-23-2007, 05:48 PM
According To The Chicago Tribune Thomas Jones Demanded A Trade.
More Carries 4 Cedric Benson. :shock:

Link: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-070222bears,1,6045629.story?coll=cs-bears-headlines

Discuss.

yourfavestoner
02-23-2007, 05:50 PM
It's been an interesting offseason so far, to say the least.

Sveen
02-23-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm thinking the Jets, Giants or Ravens.

02-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Maybe even Detroit, KJ is done for another year with that foot injury.

Number 10
02-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Who wouldn't? That franchise is on the verge of a major downfall.

TitleTown088
02-23-2007, 05:58 PM
hopefully Lovie is next.

yourfavestoner
02-23-2007, 06:00 PM

Huh?

TitleTown088
02-23-2007, 06:04 PM

Huh?

Rivera, Lovie, and Thomas gone= down down down into a burning ring of fire. 8)

bearsfan_51
02-23-2007, 06:04 PM
:lol:

This comment is even more amusing coming from a Giants fan. He wants to be a starter, it has nothing at all to do with the state of the Bears.

"Demanding" is a strong term. He said the exact same thing last year, made a media stink about it, held out of offseason workouts, and then showed up to training camp and ran for over 1,000 yards. I can understand him wanting to have his own show and not having to look over his shoulder. I think if the FO can accomodate him they will, but not at the sake of losing him for no value. It's certainly something to watch this offseason.

02-23-2007, 06:05 PM

Huh?

And with Minnesota having no QB and Detroit obviously being Detroit, Green Bay fans are licking their lips...

bearsfan_51
02-23-2007, 06:06 PM

Huh?

You wish.

Rivera leaving likely has little impact. Lovie and Babich have had just as much input with the defense as he did and anyone that knows anything about the Bears knows that. They fired Ron, he didn't choose to leave.

And Lovie is still our coach, if we don't a deal worked out by September I think it could be considered a bigger deal. Right now it's just the media needing something to talk about and his agent using the media to try to put more pressure on the Bears.

njx9
02-23-2007, 06:06 PM
i wonder what the bears asking price would be if they were going to trade him.

bearsfan_51
02-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Last year Angelo was reportedly asking for a 1st, but I think that was more posturing than anything else.

I'd probably say a 3rd or 4th rounder. Kevin Barlow was had for a 4th rounder after all, and he sucks. I think if they can't get that he'll be back with the Bears.

yourfavestoner
02-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Last year Angelo was reportedly asking for a 1st, but I think that was more posturing than anything else.

I'd probably say a 3rd or 4th rounder. Kevin Barlow was had for a 4th rounder after all, and he sucks. I think if they can't get that he'll be back with the Bears.

He's going to be 29, so his age is going to hurt his value. A 3rd or 4th rounder sounds about right.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Please let it be the Ravens, TJ is the man my favorite back in teh league, UVA represent!!!

bearsfan_51
02-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Please let it be the Ravens, TJ is the man my favorite back in teh league, UVA represent!!!
The Ravens would make a whole lot of sense. Becuase their pick is in the late rounds I'd probably say Jones + Bears 4th for Ravens 3rd. Something like that.

bigbluedefense
02-23-2007, 06:27 PM
As long as the Bears keep Lovie everything is fine. Rivera was very replaceable, and Jones already has his replacement on the pine. No big deal.

And with a solid draft, the team is gonna get even better, in a division thats weak....I don't see the Bears having trouble at all next season. Unless Grossman stinks the joint, but he's on a short leash and Lovie won't hesitate to put in Griese. So I fully expect Chicago to be back next year barring injuries.

EdReedUnstoppable
02-23-2007, 07:07 PM
The Ravens would make a whole lot of sense. Becuase their pick is in the late rounds I'd probably say Jones + Bears 4th for Ravens 3rd. Something like that.

I'd love to see Thomas in black and purple next year, that dude runs hard and he can definitely ball. But I aint gettin my hopes up since we wanna restructure Jamal and Jamal wants to restructure.

toonsterwu
02-23-2007, 07:50 PM
I don't see the Ravens. I think if they add a RB this offseason from outside, it's going to be a youngster.

As for the Bears, Thomas asking out isn't surprising. He hasn't really been given much respect from the leadership, but he's done his job. That said, Jerry isn't going to undersell him. 3rd round value is probably what will be asked for. Personally, I'd prefer getting a 4th this year and another pick next year, depending on production.

njx9
02-23-2007, 07:53 PM
from denver, assuming we can deal t.bell, i would happily give up our late third for him (assuming that lynch and peterson are out of trade-up range). even if he is 29, he's only had over 300 carries once in his career. i don't see the sudden massive breakdown at 30 that a lot of other runners go through.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-23-2007, 08:12 PM
I don't see the Ravens. I think if they add a RB this offseason from outside, it's going to be a youngster.

As for the Bears, Thomas asking out isn't surprising. He hasn't really been given much respect from the leadership, but he's done his job. That said, Jerry isn't going to undersell him. 3rd round value is probably what will be asked for. Personally, I'd prefer getting a 4th this year and another pick next year, depending on production.

I don't know about that they have a youngster in Musa Smith who will probably stay and the Ravens are a team because of age only have 1-2 years left to make a superbowl run before they have to rebuild so they need a real running game next year to have any chance at the Superbowl.

toonsterwu
02-23-2007, 08:13 PM
I will say this. If it's Denver, I'd rather take your 4th and ask for a 2008 pick based on production from Thomas. The consistency of the system would make me prefer that. I think Thomas could really excel in Denver ... but I do expect that they'll add a young back at some point this year as I think they really would like to get a young guy in there to develop with Cutler and Co.

D-Unit
02-23-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm pretty sure the Bears will use all 7 of their draft picks on Defense and they'll be right back in the chase.

I've never thought highly of Thomas Jones. If he ain't good enough for my Fantasy team, he's definately not good enough to be starting for a team hoping to win the SB. :lol:

HawkeyeFan
02-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Wouldn't be suprised to see him being traded to Baltimore. He's the kind of runningback that they like (physical, downhill)

Splat
02-23-2007, 08:37 PM
I would say they would get no more then a 4th maybe a 3rd if a bidding war starts.

RaiderNation
02-23-2007, 08:42 PM
id take him if jordan is out

toonsterwu
02-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Wouldn't be suprised to see him being traded to Baltimore. He's the kind of runningback that they like (physical, downhill)

Thomas is a capable downhill runner, but he's not a great downhill runner. He's more of a cut runner that has good size and can pound it fairly effectively.

regoob2
02-23-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm thinking the Jets, Giants or Ravens.

Will save any of those teams a draft pick in R1-R3

Boston
02-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Can't blame him. I'd want out of Chicago too.

THIZZorDIE
02-23-2007, 11:05 PM

The Bears? Explain. Please.

THIZZorDIE
02-23-2007, 11:14 PM

You'd want out of Chicago too huh? Well they dont want you either, dont trip. But lets say your worth the time of day, by some extreme stretch of the imagination. Youd want off a team that is going to be contending for the NFC title for years to come. As a RB, you'd want to get off a team that is creating TO's for your offense, 3 our 4 times a game. You want off a team that has helped you gain 1000 yards. Smart.

niel89
02-24-2007, 01:13 AM
id defintetly enjoy him in baltimore. he runs hard and give a great effort

The Legend
02-24-2007, 05:22 PM

Link: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-070222bears,1,6045629.story?coll=cs-bears-headlines

Discuss.

the ravens Trade Jamal Lewis and 3rd Round Pick

Boston
02-24-2007, 05:23 PM

You'd want out of Chicago too huh? Well they dont want you either, dont trip. But lets say your worth the time of day, by some extreme stretch of the imagination. Youd want off a team that is going to be contending for the NFC title for years to come. As a RB, you'd want to get off a team that is creating TO's for your offense, 3 our 4 times a game. You want off a team that has helped you gain 1000 yards. Smart.

:lol:

Yeah, you pretty much covered it.

Berrian80
02-24-2007, 09:37 PM
It would be nice to keep Jones to spell Benson, but Cedric has to be the starter. I wish Lovie would have started him at the end of the year.

BlindSite
02-24-2007, 09:43 PM

Huh?

You wish.

Rivera leaving likely has little impact. Lovie and Babich have had just as much input with the defense as he did and anyone that knows anything about the Bears knows that. They fired Ron, he didn't choose to leave.

Well, I think it was probably a case of "Ron, we can't afford to keep you"
"sweat you ***** I'm outta here"
Then someone from chicago spun it to the media.

I agree though, Mike Nolan Leaving Baltimore wasn't the end of their defense, Rivera's leaving won't be the end of chicago's.

niel89
02-24-2007, 10:05 PM

Discuss.

the ravens Trade Jamal Lewis and 3rd Round Pick

jamal and a third? :? thats quite a lot. i would think a third would be more than fare. or i would trade jamal and a fourth or fifth.

ChiFan24
02-24-2007, 10:28 PM
This is stupid on so many levels...

bearsfan_51
02-24-2007, 10:31 PM

Huh?

You wish.

"sweat you *********** I'm outta here"

I agree though, Mike Nolan Leaving Baltimore wasn't the end of their defense, Rivera's leaving won't be the end of chicago's.
Lovie is 100% in charge of who he does and doesn't want on his staff. It was completely his decision.

Lovie not getting an extension so far, however, can be attributed to ownership's frugality.

Young Radio
02-24-2007, 10:44 PM
The Bears would be wise to move Jones and try to acquire a third down type back with good speed and receiving skills in the draft or in free agency.

Benson is the superior runner which became increasingly evident as the season went on. There are not many running backs who wouldn't be successful in Chicago though, that offensive line is built to run block and Desmond Clark is one of the better TEs in the NFL in that regard as well.

Jones I think is the epitome of an average starting NFL running back who will be in the 3's with his ypc on most teams in this league. For everything he does well he doesn't have the speed to turn the corner and does not really finish runs or break tackles in general.

jetsfan3
02-24-2007, 10:52 PM

Does anyone sense the irony that this post is coming from a Giant fan?

BlindSite
02-25-2007, 01:06 AM

Huh?

You wish.

"sweat you *********** I'm outta here"

Lovie is 100% in charge of who he does and doesn't want on his staff. It was completely his decision.

Lovie not getting an extension so far, however, can be attributed to ownership's frugality.

That says something to me though imo. A lot of times if a coach and owner really click and the owner buys into what the coach is doing he won't ever have to ask for a new contract. Look at Billick and Biscotti as a prime example of that, Fox and Richardson.