PDA

View Full Version : Oh, Troy Williamson

the_legend_killer
02-04-2008, 08:06 PM
http://kstp.com/article/stories/S331768.shtml?cat=1

Essentially, Childress says that Williamson will be back. Thoughts?

The_Dude
02-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Boo.

He makes way too much money to suck so bad.

Anyone know the cap-hit for releasing him?

wogitalia
02-04-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm torn, I'd hate to give up on him and have him actually do something decent somewhere else but at the same time he sure looks like he is never going to get it.

One more year cant hurt though, as long as he isn't holding back Rice and that him being here doesn't stop us getting another WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. I mean drops are something that should be correctable, he just needs to work on it and relax a bit.

Still, I think he is firmly in the Erasmus James category now where you keep him around but expect nothing. If he can get 60 catches, its a complete bonus, if he doesn't, at least you planned for it and got a better option. To be honest I'd really like us to have a long hard look at both Roy Williams and Chad Johnson and see how their availability and cost is, they are legit WRs who can bail out a young QB and if they were opposite of Rice I think we have a really nice thing going. Cost of course being the big question.

Crazy_Chris
02-05-2008, 12:58 AM
I think you can forget about Roy Williams. Matt Millen may not be the best GM, but even he knows he would be making an Idotic move for the Lions to trade Roy Williams to the Vikings. I like Chad Johnson but im not completely sure Brad Childress would like him. Larry Fitzgerald makes the most sense for the Vikings.

As for williamson the statement in the article is rather vague on the subject. It doesn't quote childress as saying williamson will be wearing a Viking Jersey in the 08 season. It Just says...

Childress said Williamson is still under contract and part of their off-season plans.

pete_norm
02-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Childress said Williamson is still under contract and part of their off-season plans.

Their off-season plans could be to try to trade him...

Personnaly, i think Childress is using the media to increase his value if they decide to trade him. If he comes right out and say he will be cut, no one would ever trade for him. I'm still not sure anyone would want him though. No one can deny his speed and that he gets open, but damn, those hands are ugly...

BuckNaked
02-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I hope he stumbles off of a steep cliff.

the_legend_killer
02-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Did Troy Williamson play Hot Hands on Little Giants by any chance?

vikes_28
02-06-2008, 11:56 AM
I hope he stumbles off of a steep cliff.

nice...agreed...or maybe tries catching a ball and accidentally falls off

wogitalia
02-08-2008, 01:52 AM
I think you can forget about Roy Williams. Matt Millen may not be the best GM, but even he knows he would be making an Idotic move for the Lions to trade Roy Williams to the Vikings. I like Chad Johnson but im not completely sure Brad Childress would like him. Larry Fitzgerald makes the most sense for the Vikings.

Hey I can dream right? I agree though, i only mention Williams because I heard talk of him being a bit disgruntled in Detroit, I haven't heard anything since though, so that may have been purely a rumour. As for Chad, I can't see Brad wanting him, but the talent is undeniable. I'd love Larry also, but I can't see it happening unfortunately. Would just cost too much, he is what we need though.

swagger
02-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Childress hinted that he might be back, and I thought it was probably just posturing perhaps setting up for a trade.

Then I read this ridiculous article:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/15704672.html

Cunningham
02-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Childress hinted that he might be back, and I thought it was probably just posturing perhaps setting up for a trade.

Then I read this ridiculous article:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/15704672.html
what is he supposed to say, that troy couldn't catch a cold if he wanted to?

lord knows troy williamson sucks and has a 99.9 percent chance of keeping the title as a bust. he's had plenty of opportunities to prove himself and has subsequently embarrassed himself each time.

Crazy_Chris
02-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Well I thought Williamson was going to be making a hell of a lot more than $435,000, but seeing that it isn't wasting too much money I don't have a problem with giving him one more shot. I just won't be expecting anything good so hopefully he will surprise.

I feel bad for the guy becuase by all reports he has one of the best work ethics on the team but for some reason he just doesn't seem to get it game day.

giver17
02-19-2008, 06:23 PM
sure you can feel bad for him all you want, but when it comes down to it he can't catch the damn ball. I know I can't play pro sports, but you wouldn't feel bad for me if I was on the team and got cut for being horrible. it is life, and it is a part of the game and his job.

bringing in a guy like Fitz would be amazing for this team. honestly, that would do us wonders. a guy like CJ would obviously boost our talent pool, but I don't know if there are enough older leaders around to keep him in line and low profile - something he has never been. I love me some ocho cinco once the pads are on, but I just dont know if he is worth all the baggage sometimes

Crazy_Chris
02-19-2008, 06:28 PM
No I feel bad for him becuase he works his ass off and it's seemingly all for nothing(according to what I have read). I won't feel bad if he gets cut.

giver17
02-19-2008, 10:10 PM
No I feel bad for him becuase he works his ass off and it's seemingly all for nothing(according to what I have read). I won't feel bad if he gets cut.

yeah, but if he just doesn't have the talent, he just doesn't have it. its not like he hasn't known since he got in the league

swagger
02-19-2008, 10:49 PM
If Williamson played for free, the Vikings would still be getting ripped off. Before a wide receiver should be able to make a cent in the NFL, he should be able to catch a ball.

Williamson doesn't have a case of the drops, he literally can't catch. You don't drop as many wide open passes as Troy does simply with a case of the drops. He lacks hand-eye coordination and body control.

Anybody who wants to give him another chance just because he is making a relatively small amount of money is foolish, IMO. Keeping him on the roster, money or no money, is a huge risk. What if the teams had lost in week 17 that would have enabled us to make the playoffs... and Troy drops a completely wide open bomb for what would have been a sure-thing TD. He could have cost us a playoff spot.

Williamson deserves a 4th year for the Vikings about as much as Ted Kaczynski deserves the right to use the USPS.

Geo
02-19-2008, 11:03 PM
If Williamson played for free, the Vikings would still be getting ripped off.
Wow. This needs to be a sig quote.

Crazy_Chris
02-20-2008, 05:51 PM
I didn't say I wanted him back I said I wouldn't mind it. I would rather have him gone, but if for some reason Childress decides to keep him I really wouldn't care anymore considering he isn't making millions of dollars we could put into a top F/A. Just to emphasize how little he is getting, Ferguson last year(after coming of sub par/injury riddled seasons) got signed to a deal bigger($700,000) than what williamson is scheduled to make.

giver17
02-20-2008, 07:56 PM
If Williamson played for free, the Vikings would still be getting ripped off. Before a wide receiver should be able to make a cent in the NFL, he should be able to catch a ball.

Williamson doesn't have a case of the drops, he literally can't catch. You don't drop as many wide open passes as Troy does simply with a case of the drops. He lacks hand-eye coordination and body control.

Anybody who wants to give him another chance just because he is making a relatively small amount of money is foolish, IMO. Keeping him on the roster, money or no money, is a huge risk. What if the teams had lost in week 17 that would have enabled us to make the playoffs... and Troy drops a completely wide open bomb for what would have been a sure-thing TD. He could have cost us a playoff spot.

Williamson deserves a 4th year for the Vikings about as much as Ted Kaczynski deserves the right to use the USPS.

well actually, troy didn't lose us the season in week 17 because the skins won, which knocked us out. otherwise, I agree with you on the rest

swagger
02-21-2008, 10:35 AM
well actually, troy didn't lose us the season in week 17 because the skins won, which knocked us out. otherwise, I agree with you on the restThat's why I said "What if the teams had lost in week 17 that would have enabled us to make the playoffs..."

Geo
02-21-2008, 10:44 AM
That he hasn't had the same receivers coach for two consecutive years is startling. Still, he's had three years to show if he's worth keeping. Sidney Rice looks to be a very good pick for the Vikes.

pete_norm
02-21-2008, 08:41 PM
From Rotoworld

The Vikings will meet with the agent for Troy Williamson this weekend.

Williamson, coming off a career worst season, will likely be cut this summer.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

giver17
02-22-2008, 03:37 PM
That's why I said "What if the teams had lost in week 17 that would have enabled us to make the playoffs..."

yeah well you can 'what if' about anything, but it doesn't mean it happened. now had he dropped that pass, and as a result we missed the playoffs that is one thing, but to rest our lack of a playoff birth squarely on his shoulders though is overboard.

NFLCommander
02-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Well, there isn't much at the WR position on the Vikes so I could see keeping him as an option, but he shouldn't be moved past either slot or the #3 or #4 WR spots on the depth chart. I could see hi being cut because he isn't worth the contract he has and the more cap space the better this day-in-age in the NFL. I'm not afraid to say I had really high hopes for this kid when we drafted him.

JagHombre22
02-22-2008, 09:02 PM
I read somewhere that the Jaguars are interested in Williamson...I hope they would wait for him to be released but what is his current trade value?

Crazy_Chris
02-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Not much at all I'd be surprised if we were able to get more than a 5th round pick.

JagHombre22
02-22-2008, 09:37 PM
since I've seen him play very little....what is the knock on him and why hasn't his talent translated into NFL production...

russie
02-22-2008, 10:07 PM
since I've seen him play very little....what is the knock on him and why hasn't his talent translated into NFL production...

the s.o.b. cant catch. he's fast as hell, has great separation speed, but cant catch the ball.

PackerLegend
02-22-2008, 10:21 PM
It sucks that he didnt pan out for u guys, he was supposed to replace Moss. I remember during one of the Packer-Viking games last year him burning everyone and Jackson throwing a perfect pass and him dropping it. It was a sure touchdown, the game turned out 9-7 in favor of the Packers that was a huge drop. Did Moss want out of Minny or did Minny want him out I dont remember? That was a great day for all Packer fans that we didnt have to face him twice a year anymore. He always killed us.

giver17
02-22-2008, 10:57 PM
I read somewhere that the Jaguars are interested in Williamson...I hope they would wait for him to be released but what is his current trade value?

i am not sure, but it can not be much. maybe a 5th or something ******

Crazy_Chris
02-24-2008, 12:35 AM
It sucks that he didnt pan out for u guys, he was supposed to replace Moss. I remember during one of the Packer-Viking games last year him burning everyone and Jackson throwing a perfect pass and him dropping it. It was a sure touchdown, the game turned out 9-7 in favor of the Packers that was a huge drop. Did Moss want out of Minny or did Minny want him out I dont remember? That was a great day for all Packer fans that we didnt have to face him twice a year anymore. He always killed us.

It was Red McCombs going away present more than anything else... I hate that S.O.B.

Crazy_Chris
02-24-2008, 01:47 AM
Just read this...

The Vikings and the agent for Troy Williamson are on the record: The agent can explore trade options for the oft-maligned speed receiver who has struggled to live up to the No. 7 overall pick since the Vikings drafted him as Randy Moss’ replacement in 2005.

Williamson’s agent, David Canter, didn’t initiate the move, according to the Vikings, but he is driving the business.

“We allowed him (Canter) to go out and see what’s out there,” Vikings coach Brad Childress said on Friday. “It’s something that’s got to be satisfactory to us, then we’ll do it. But I’ve said before that he’s under contract with us.”

Childress indicated the Vikings had no real preference if they received a draft pick or a player in return.

Asked what his value might be, he said, “You know, you might be surprised. We’ll see. I just know that when I got out of there (a morning session at the NFL Scouting Combine), I had probably three people grab me. David is keeping in contract with Rick (Spielman, the vice president of player personnel). We’ll just see. I wouldn’t probably venture a guess.”

Childress’ reference of three teams showing interest increased to about a dozen teams, according to Canter, in the hours following.

In 2005, the Vikings got a first- and seventh-round draft pick in trading Randy Moss to the Oakland Raiders. After spending two disappointing seasons in Oakland, the Raiders made a draft-day deal that sent Moss to the New England Patriots for a fourth-round draft pick, showing how value is about perception and timing. The Vikings’ first-round pick in their Moss deal was used on Williamson.

In three seasons with the Vikings, Williamson has 79 receptions, 1,067 yards and only three touchdowns.

The Vikings could end up with a player or a draft pick if they trade him.

“A couple pitches I heard: ‘Are you set and cemented that it’s got to be this and this or it’s got to be this and a player?’ We’re not. We’re just listening,” Childress said Friday morning after other teams were learning of Williamson’s availability. “David is the guy that’s drumming up the business.”

Of course, having teams find out the news at the Combine is convenient and expedite the process. Teams can conduct more face-to-face sessions with the Vikings to gauge their interest in potential deals.

“It saves you a bunch of phone calls when you see them all face to face and the word is out there,” Childress said.

Childress said the move was “a decision we made organizationally.”

“It was a mutually agreeable situation,” Childress said. “David was happy to be able to have that latitude to do that and we wanted to give him the ability to do that.”

The Vikings and Williamson worked together with the Nike Institute in Oregon to correct a problem they spotted with him being able to track the ball in the air. He also spent additional time catching thousands of footballs launched from the JUGS machine after practices and at his home.

“The investment on our part was really more of time and was a Nike investment. … All you’re trying to do is heighten skills and give a guy every tool you can. Nothing ventured, nothing gained,” Childress said. “There are some that will have success with the things that you put in place and there are some that won’t. It doesn’t mean that he won’t if he goes somewhere else. It doesn’t mean he won’t if he stays. You don’t know.”

Childress couldn’t recall a player being allowed to seek a trade and then remaining

http://min.scout.com/a.z?s=63&p=2&c=731240

12 teams interested :| that really surprised me.

crazyisme
02-24-2008, 08:45 AM
hes stilil young and speedy, if if if if if he ever learned to catch the ball, he'd probably be a fairly decent WR....its not going to cost a team much, but maybe just maybe we'll get a 6th rounder for him

Kid_Ego
02-24-2008, 10:43 PM
trade him for two bottles of gatorade and a couple peices of pocket lint

Kid_Ego
02-24-2008, 10:45 PM
wow just think we could trade him for the guy who beat tavaris jackson out at QB at Arkansas wouldnt that be funny WIlliamson for Matt Jones hahahaha then he could beat him out again lol

Vikings4ever
02-25-2008, 08:33 PM
http://www.twincities.com/ci_8360959?source=rss

The Vikings have agreed in principle to trade receiver Troy Williamson to the Jacksonville Jaguars for a second-day draft pick, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

swagger
02-25-2008, 08:53 PM
There.
Is.
A.
God.

the_Kid
02-25-2008, 09:21 PM
I hope we can use the extra pick to trade up and get Devin Thomas if we need to.

Crazy_Chris
02-25-2008, 11:25 PM
We are only going to get a 6th round pick. Thats not going to help us move up very far in round 2.

bearsfan_51
02-25-2008, 11:27 PM
It's probably a 6th rounder in 2009, since it's a conditional pick. I can't see how it would be conditional before the season even starts.

Crazy_Chris
02-25-2008, 11:40 PM
Yea you're right it has to be a 2009 draft pick.

Kid_Ego
02-25-2008, 11:42 PM
With Childress running the show Im not sure the extra picks even help. Good trade of williamson but a blind man could of seen that. What are we doing about the QB WO DE situations

Bucs4242
02-26-2008, 12:38 AM
Trade 1 WR from one team who has no idea how to evaluate WR talent and send him to another one whoh has no idea how to evaluate WR talent. Makes sense. I am just syrprised II didnt see Detroit involved in this

Kid_Ego
02-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Uhm a Bucs fan is critizing our wide out credentials?
Ahmad Rashad
Sammy White
Anthony Carter Vs Joey Galloway?
Chris Carter
Jake Reed
Randy Moss
Uhm..........Tampa has had who??????

akvikefan89
02-26-2008, 06:15 AM
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2139/vnrememberwilliamsonej9.png

the_legend_killer
02-26-2008, 07:24 AM
I'll always remember Troy Williamson as a draft pick the Vikings got in on time. However, with the way their late pick Kevin Williams turned out I kind of wished they would've done it more often. I'll remember Troy as the Hot Hands (From Little Giants) of the Franchise. Best of luck in Jacksonville Troy, hopefully Mike Tice can find your toilet paper.

vikes_28
02-26-2008, 11:57 AM
story of his life...

amesbear
02-27-2008, 10:09 AM
That has to be the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. Glad I can laugh at the vikings every now and then.

swagger
02-27-2008, 12:04 PM
It hasn't sunk in yet that he's gone!!

russie
02-27-2008, 04:21 PM
It hasn't sunk in yet that he's gone!!
i dont think the trade becomes official until the start of the new season(the 29th)

fondoffilm
02-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Well, at least he was more productive than Mike Williams.

swagger
02-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Well, at least he was more productive than Mike Williams.I wouldn't be so sure... something could be said for getting cut and not playing, verses playing and dropping balls and killing your offense.

NFLCommander
02-27-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm sure the 6th round pick we get can do more than he ever could and we can move on to bigger and better things. Like getting rid of Childress and Tarvares.

Kid_Ego
02-28-2008, 10:37 PM
My guess is Childress trades the 6th rounder for Ron Jaworski or Phil Simms because hes already had to get rid of all his ex badger buddys.

Tobzilla
02-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Lets recap here...we now only have a sixth round pick to account for the randy moss trade. Awesome :(

The Dynasty
02-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Lets recap here...we now only have a sixth round pick to account for the randy moss trade. Awesome :(

Tom Brady and Adalius Thomas and The Man in my Sig were once 6th rounders ;). Just Never Know.

Tobzilla
02-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Tom Brady and Adalius Thomas and The Man in my Sig were once 6th rounders ;). Just Never Know.

I think it's karma kicking us in the ass for getting rid of Randy. Let's face it, we deserve it.

MetSox17
03-05-2008, 01:23 PM

That does suck, but hey, at least they made it up by landing sidney rice in the 2nd last year.. boy's gonna be a stud!

btw, who was taken with the pick that was brought
in in the culpepper trade?

Dr. Gonzo
03-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Ryan Cook (WHY????)