Ken Lucas (if needed)

Extend:
Julius Peppers
Chris Harris
Matt Moore

Resign:
Jordan Gross
Drew Carter
Damione Lewis (if to expensive then K. Moorhead)
Dante Wesley (or Curtis Deloatch)
RFA Geoff Hangartner
*Mike Rucker

Notable UFA that Panthers let walk:
Nick Goings
Brad Hoover
Keary Colbert
Travelle Wharton
Marquand Manuel
Deke Cooper
*RFA Evan Mathis

Free Agent Targets:

Greg Jones FB/RB Jaguars- 6’1 255lbs- Jones is set to hit the free agent market this offseason and if the Panthers offer Jones more than just the FB role, I believe he would consider Carolina. Still only 26 years old, giving Greg 5-10 carries a game and using him as the short-yardage/goal-line type back would give the Panthers a smash mouth running game that would compliment DeAngelo Williams skills perfectly. Jones is also a Pro-Bowl caliber lead blocker and has the ability to be used in the passing game. Jones has had some injuries in the past but looked to regain strength in his legs as the season progressed this year. Jones proved against the Texans on the last regular season game of the year, if given the opportunity that he can produce in this league as a HB. He ended up rushing for 71 yards on 14 carries. Plus Greg Jones is a great character guy to add to this team and the community.

Bobby McCray DE Jaguars- 6’6 261lbs- McCray would come to the Panthers and give them a veteran presence on the defensive line. McCray is a big physical DE that would bring more toughness to this defense. McCray’s numbers were down this year but he came on during the end of the season and into the playoff’s. A year ago McCray had a 10 sacks season where he started most of the year. Signing McCray would give the Panthers a good veteran presence (ala Al Wallace) on the defensive line that would push the young DE’s for the starting position opposite of Julius Peppers. McCray, 26 years old (just like Greg Jones) is just hitting the prime of his career and signing him could turn out to be a huge steal.

Andre Davis WR Texans- 6’1 195lbs- Davis is not the prototypical #2 receiver and the Panthers don’t have to use him like one. Davis is a speedy playmaker and can be used in many different positions. Davis will come very affordable but will provide this team with another playmaker. Davis also gives the Panthers good depth in the return game, if Ryne Robinson is injured or ineffective. Davis is 28 years old and had a break out year this season with the Texans. I truly believe that Davis can have a huge impact on this offense.

I would consider free agent wide receivers like DJ Hackett-Sea(price may be too high), Jerry Porter-Oak(questionable character concerns/ego), Bryant Johnson-Arz, Ernest Wilford-Jac or Donte Stallworth-NE(if he becomes available).

2008 Carolina Panther Mock Draft

1st –Chris Williams LT Vanderbilt- 6’6 320lbs-Williams possesses surprisingly quick feet, athletic ability and is very intelligent. He has rare agility for someone his size but carries his weight very well. Only allowed 1 sack all year in a tough SEC Conference, so he is battle tested. Williams’ athleticism allows him to translate very well into a zone-blocking scheme at the next level. He is not a dominant run blocker but he did show the aggressiveness and competitiveness that some had questioned at the Senior Bowl. Williams arm length may be a concern but he uses them very effectively because he can lock up and torque ends off their feet. He has great technique and possesses an outstanding kick slide, which allows him to widen the corner for speed rushers. Williams has the ability to play either tackle positions but does a great job in pass protection making him a likely candidate to play LT in the NFL.
Other options: LT Ryan Clady-Boise St, FS Kenny Phillips-Mia, Trading back and selecting S Reggie Smith-Okla. or DT Pat Sims-Aub

2nd – DaJuan Morgan FS North Carolina St.- 6’1 200lbs- Morgan is a safety that does just about everything. He possesses good size, speed, athleticism and the ability to cover. Morgan is good in zone coverage but also has the skills to hold up in man-to-man coverage. He plays very aggressively and is able to lay down the wood with the best of them. Morgan is a hard worker that is willing to do the work necessary to get better. He is able to come up and make hits at the line of scrimmage as he led NC State with 97 tackles on the season. Morgan possesses good ball skills totaling 6 interceptions in his career. Teaming Morgan with SS Chris Harris in the secondary will give the Panthers one of the better safety tandems in the league for many years and in today’s NFL game, good safety play is a must. Morgan is also a good character guy to have in the Panthers locker room and in the community.
Other options: LT Anthony Collins-Kansas, DT Dre Moore-Maryland or FS Thomas DeCoud-Cal

3rd -Trevor Laws DT Notre Dame-6’0 297lbs- Laws is not the prototypical run stuffing DT nor does he have elite athleticism. Laws does have very good quickness and a non-stop motor. Laws was also an All-State wrestler and understands leverage and how to get under blocks. Laws possesses excellent hand use, he is able to slap away the blockers initial hand push. He has the ability to get small and get between linemen to get into the backfield. Laws can come in and give the Panthers great depth on the interior of the defensive line. More of a 3-technique pass rusher, Laws still has the ability to stop the run but will provide the Panthers defense with a better pass rush from the interior of the line. He led Notre Dame in tackles with 112 on the season, which is incredible for a defensive lineman.
Other options: OT Tony Hills Jr-Tex., DT Red Bryant-TxA&M, or OT /G Duane Brown-VT

4th – Jeremy Zuttah G/T Rutgers-6’3 295lbs- Zuttah would be brought in to play RG here but has the versatility to play the tackle position if needed. His body still has the ability to get a lot bigger as he matures and hits the weight room in the NFL. Zuttah was a great run blocker at Rutgers where he played RT. He is one of the more athletic linemen you will ever see on the field. Zuttah consistently gets to the 2nd level of a defense blocking LB’s and DB’s down field. Zuttah has the power to run block and plays the game with great intensity. He will be very valuable in the screen game, as he can get down field and sustain blocks. Zuttah also has the intelligence to come in and develop rather quickly in the zone-blocking scheme at the NFL level.
Other options: RB Matt Forte-Tul, FB Owen Schmidtt-WV, DT Andre Fluellen-FSU

6th – Xavier Omon RB Northwest Missouri St.-5’11 220lbs- Omon is a 4 time All-American selection in Division 2 where he totaled 98 career total touchdowns. He has a very athletic build and overall good size. Omon is a down hill runner that runs with a low pad level but has deceptive speed for his size. (His 40 time at the combine could dictate where he goes in the draft.) Omon is a patient runner that allows his blockers to set up before he bursts through the hole. He has the ability to make defenders miss and also possesses good vision that will allow him to translate well in a zone-blocking scheme. Omon needs to improve his hands as a receiver out of the backfield but has the skills to pass block. He will provide the Panthers with great depth at the RB position and in time can be a great change of pace back with DeAngelo Williams. Xavier is a high character guy who works hard and is focused so he should fit in well on the Panthers roster.
Other options: RB Allen Patrick-Okl(if available), RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis-Miss or RB Kalvin McRae-Ohio

7th – Kolo Kapanui TE West Texas A&M- 6’3 269lbs- Kapanui would be brought into Carolina to play in an H-Back type role. He has the size and skill to play TE where he excelled in Division 2 at West Texas A&M. Kapanui can also play FB when the Panthers are in their goal line package pounding the ball. Kapanui, a Hawaiian native, was recruited and played at USC before injuring his hip forcing him to transfer. Kapanui will be a good special team player where he can showcase his 4.69 40 time on kick coverage (pre combine). Kapanui is a high character guy that will fit in very well in the Panthers locker room.
Other options: TE Adam Bishop-Nev, FB Mike Cox-GaTech or TE Matt Sherry-Villanova

Notable Rookie Free Agent signings (if available):

*FB Mike Cox- Georgia Tech- 6’0 254lbs
*FS- Dennis Keyes- UCLA- 6’2 195lbs
*WR- Danny Amendola- Texas Tech- 5’11 179lbs
*DT Chris Norwell- Illinois- 6’6 305lbs
*RB Lance Ball- Maryland- 5’9 220lbs

2008 Carolina Panther Depth Chart

(R)=Rookie
(FA)=Free Agent

Offense:
QB: Delhomme / Moore / Basanez
RB: Williams / Foster / Omon (R)
FB: Jones (FA) / Kapanui (R)
WR: Smith / Davis (FA) / Carter / Jarrett / Robinson
TE: King / Rosario / Kapanui (R)
LT: Williams (R) / Omiyale
LG: Wahle / Hangartner
C: Kalil / Hartwig
RG: Zuttah (R) / Hartwig
RT: Gross / Bridges

Defense and Special Teams:
LE: Peppers / McClover / *Rucker
RE: McCray (FA) / Johnson
DT: Kemoeatu / Laws (R)
DT: Jenkins / Lewis
OLB: Davis / Anderson / Jamison
MLB: Beason / Seward / Shaw
OLB: Diggs / Morgan / Melton
CB: Gamble / Wesley
CB: Marshall / Lucas
FS: Morgan (R) / Salley / Teal
SS: Harris / Wilson

K: Kasey
Kickoffs: Lloyd
P: Baker
LS: Jason Kyle

* If management feels that bringing back Mike Rucker is in their best interest then they could keep 5 DE’s and only 4 DT’s on their final roster but would use either Rucker or Bobby McCray as a DT on 3rd downs as a pass rushing option like the New York Giants used Justin Tuck throughout the season.

Overall I believe this offense would be much improved from last year. The Panthers would have good depth at the QB position with the emergence of Matt Moore along with Delhomme getting healthy. Basanez may be an odd man out of being on the 53 man roster (sign to Practice Squad) as the Panthers might carry just 2 QB's. The running back position would have great depth (ala the New York Giants) in case an injury takes place. The addition of Greg Jones gives the Panthers a smash mouth run game. D.Williams becomes the starting RB for the Panthers but is supported by great depth with Foster and Omon capable of handling the ball. The addition of Andre Davis and the resigning of Drew Carter gives the Panthers two more playmakers to go along with Smitty. Hopefully the improvement of Jarrett gives the Panthers a possession receiver. The Panthers would have a very good receiving corps.(ala the Patriots and Packers.) The TE position would be young but overall very solid. Rosairo showed he can make plays and King has been a good possession receiver. I believe the additions of Chris Williams and Jeremy Zuttah in the draft will provide the Panthers with two starting caliber offensive lineman but also gives them versitle offensive lineman capable of playing other positions if needed. Overall the Panthers offensive line would be a big upgrade over last year and this unit should solitify the line for the Panthers for many years.(Except maybe Wahle.) Overall this offense has many dimesions and I believe it would be a force next year.

As for the defense, there are not too many changes. The addition of DE Bobby McCray and DT Trevor Laws will help make the Panthers defensive line become alot more dynamic but at the same type able to stop the run. Allowing Morgan to compete with Diggs for the starting job in training camp at the WOLB gives the Panthers great depth at the linebacking postion. Beason and Davis are still young and improving. The Panthers secondary is much improved with the addition of DaJuan Morgan in the secondary. He will give the Panthers a legit FS, that defenses need to be aware of and teamed with SS Chris Harris, receivers need to watch their backs. Carolina is very deep at the corner position but making Marshall a full time starter would be in their best interest. Lucas I feel could be a very good nickel cornerback given he excepts his roll because nickel cornerback are on the field alot in todays NFL. Overall I believe this defense has a chance to be alot like the one that helped the Panthers to the Super Bowl a few years ago.

Special teams wise, the Panthers are very solid. Kasey and Lloyd should have an interesting battle in training camp. Whether they decide to keep two kickers or not, things should work itself out. Andre Davis gives the Panthers a very good kick returner and should push Ryne Robinson for his job.

Overall, I believe this is the perfect offseason, an offseason that will make the Panthers a legit contender for a Super Bowl Title next year but also one of the league's elite teams for many years.

Sorry that this is so long.
Any comments are welcome. Thank You

ShutDwn
02-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Nice man, I did a quick read but from what I see I like. I didn't know Jones was a FA, we should really try for him. Jones would bring a ton of power to this offense and I think that he could be a legitimate part of a one two punch next to DeAngelo.

McCray is also a good pickup, but I really would want some more younger talent in there to develop.

Another Jaguar I really want is Wilford. He would be a perfect compliment to Smith. An established possession receiver who I think has not reached his full potential. He is a extremely reliable, hard working guy and would allow for Carter and Jarrett to fight for the 4th spot with Ryne at the 5th. Not to mention he is a big blocker.

I agree with your picks though
1. OT or DE BPA at these positions
2. Safety or DE
3. Safety or DT
4. DT or RB

FirstAndGoal
02-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah that looks good. Jones would be a perfect addition to our backfield.

jdb1972
02-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Morgan will be gone, freeing up $4m or so IIRC.