PDA

View Full Version : Boston Red Sox Thread

Jay
02-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Might I add... the defending World Series Champion Boston Red Sox.

Quite off-season, just the way I like it. Today the Sox officially signed Sean Casey and resigned Bobby Kielty to a minor league contract. Pitchers and catchers report in 8 days, so the season will be here soon enough. Don't like opening in Japan, but whatever, they count as Oakland home games so what do I care?

I am really excited to see what Jonathan Lester can do with a full offseason to work out and train, something he didn't have last year. As much as I love Wake, I hope he finds his way in the bullpen and the rotation looks like:

1. Beckett
2. Schilling
3. Matsuzaka
4. Buchholz
5. Lester

I'm still curious as to what will happen with Coco. I think he will be traded before they get to spring training. Hopefully we have a better year from JD Drew, and I've heard Manny had a monster offseason and I expect 40 HR's from him this year. Papi is healthy, Jacoby will win ROY. I think they have a legit shot at repeating, but Detroit looks TOUGH. Should be another fun year!

Don Vito
02-07-2008, 01:02 AM
I expect big things from Bucholz and Lester. Hopefully Daisuke is totally comfortable and plays like he gets paid to, I really like our rotation and our bullpen. Unless the injury bug strikes I think we have the best staff in the bigs and possibly the best team. We really could have an amazing team if we don't get rattled with injuries.

Great news that we re-signed Kielty, he may be playing in the minors but he is an Ole Miss alum!

Jay
02-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Daisuke was quoted during the offseason as being embarassed by some of his performances. Now that he's had a year to let it all digest, has a better command of the English language and knows batters better, I think he could put up 18-20 wins this year, especially lining up against most teams #3's. I'd be happy with 12-15 wins each out of Lester and Buchholz if they start.

Billingsley26
02-07-2008, 10:12 AM
i think that bucholz will be a solid starter. he showed a lot of promise in the latter half of the season. i think we could make a hell of a run again this year. the lineup really looks solid from top to bottom. i dont really care for the sean casey signing. i cant really find a hole anywhere in the team that sticks out.

Jay
02-07-2008, 01:00 PM
The thing I love about Sean Casey is that there isn't a single person in baseball that will ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER have a bad thing to say about him. His reputation is as the most popular teammate in baseball. He'll fit right in...

Jay
02-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Well that didn't take long, looks like Schilling may be done for the year before it even starts...

Im_a_Romosexual
02-08-2008, 12:02 AM
yeah, I hear he'll be back all-star break at best. Anything he gives us this season is a plus, I just hope he can pitch in the playoffs (assuming we get there). Even if he doesnt return, we still have Beckett, Dice-K, Wake, Buchholz and Lester with Tavarez (ugh) making an emergency start if need be, we should be ok.

luckyjackaubrey
02-12-2008, 04:35 PM
I am finding myself intrigued by the Rangers lineup possibilities. I like all of the players except Milton Bradley. they have some really young pitching talent that won't be there for a year or two. I would love to see us package Coco, and some of that young talent we were offering the Twins for either Jarrod Saltalamacchia or better yet Taylor Teagarden as our catcher of the future. That kid was a stud at Texas, and last year he came back from surgery and hit 27 homers. He was always a great defensive catcher, good character and makeup. I would love to see him as Varitek's understudy. I would overpay for him long before I would do the same for Santana.

Catching talent is so hard to come by and we have had it too good with the captain here, and that time will end soon.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
02-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Saltalamacchia is a stud. He would have been great at 1B for Atlanta had they not gone for Teixiera in the playoff run. Salty would be a great pickup for the Red Sox.

Jay
02-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Today the Red Sox signed Bartolo Colon to a minor league contract, and more importantly, extended Terry Francona for three years. Good day. Hopefully we can get Colon to come back and be 75% the pitcher he used to be. I'd settle for that.

Thunder&Lightning
02-28-2008, 08:33 PM
http://detectovision.com/pics/colon_bartolo051011.jpg

first he needs to lose atleast 20lbs

Jay
02-28-2008, 08:44 PM
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/02/27/1204140974_5850.jpg

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/02/27/1204140974_4889.jpg

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2008/02/26/1204059556_9139.jpg

Thunder&Lightning
02-28-2008, 08:46 PM
hahahahaha he needs to get rid of that underbelly under his chin. give him a beard and suit and you got yourself a dominican santa claus.

Bigburt63
02-28-2008, 09:22 PM
He's said that his arm and shoulder feels good. I imagine the sox brass will want him to lose some weight, similar to the way they want schilling to lose weight. Worst case scenario he doesnt make the roster as Buchholtz is major league ready. Best case he can return to be an average to above-average pitcher and take the 5th spot in the rotation while schilling is out.

Jay
02-28-2008, 09:40 PM
He said he needs to lose at least 20 pounds.

Bostonsportlova
03-03-2008, 08:09 PM
I love the Colon signing. If he stinks nothing happens. If he is 1/2 as what he was in his prime he would be a bargain. Helps replace Schill. Groom the youngesters. And they dont have to be thrown in right away

Thunder&Lightning
03-18-2008, 07:18 AM
So what happened to colon yesterday...wasnt very settling...

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
03-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Nice win to open up the season. I now have the lead in my fantasy league thanks to Papelbon, Ramirez, and Ellsbury...even though its just the first game. :)

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Are there any talks of moving Coco Crisp as of late in order to get Ellsbury in the starting lineup everyday? Or will Crisp be kept around and be platooned with Ellsbury in center?

Jay
04-08-2008, 12:14 PM
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/04/08/1207659043_7095.jpg

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/04/08/1207659911_5373.jpg

NICE!!

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Those are some very nice looking rings there.

ImBrotherCain
04-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Woot!! Manny being Manny!!

Nalej
04-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Dice-K's starting off pretty well.
Now if he can stop throwing so many balls
and keep that pitch count down
he'll be a beast.

Jay
04-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Dice-K is the first to 4-0. I am also already convinced that Jed Lowrie is a better offensive and defensive choice at SS then Julio Lugo. Seriously.

proshoota25
04-21-2008, 03:21 PM
those rings are so rediculously amazing its not even funny

but yes, i agree with you jay, i would rather have lowrie be our everyday shortstop already over lugo.... our future is VERY bright

Nalej
04-23-2008, 01:52 PM
We are the king of the comebacks

JJJ888
05-16-2008, 10:15 AM
What's going on with the Sox right now? (that's a serious question...I haven't watched any games within the past week). We do well with Ortiz struggling early in the year, and now, with his newly productive self, we can't find a way to win ballgames. This team is too talented to lose 5 games in a row, and especially such close ballgames.

Bostonsportlova
05-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Player
David Ortiz .239 Batting Average
Julio Lugo 11 Errors
Mike Timlin 8.18 ERA

Team
26th in the MLB in Relievers ERA
20th in the MLB in ERA Away
6th in the AL in Errors

And still tied for first in the AL East

Nalej
05-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Does anyone know what's good with B. Colon?
Last I hear, a couple weeks ago, that he was healthy and doing rehab starts
and was killin it out there in the minors.
Fastball back in the high 90's... he seemed like he was completely healthy
...yet, I stop hearin from him? What's up?
Still havin him do rehab starts or did he re-injure something???

Bostonsportlova
05-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Funny you said that he was just brought up to the majors a couple of days ago. And i heard a rumor that he is starting tuesday i dont no

Nalej
05-28-2008, 11:55 PM
That's what's up. He did pretty good in his first start.
that's what I like to see.
I'ma lil concerned with Dice-K's fatigued shoulder though.
that could be a major blow

Don Vito
08-01-2008, 02:52 PM
First post in quite a while on this Sox thread, but figured I'd just say how dissappointed I am with the Manny trade. Bay is a good player but to see my favorite baseball player leave on such a sour note really sucks. It is going to be really weird not seeing him in the lineup.

luckyjackaubrey
08-02-2008, 07:21 PM
If he was your favorite baseball player, you truly don't understand the game. Manny was a great hitter, a skill that is obviously eroding for him. He is selfish, derisive and lacks any secondary skill beyond his ability to hit that adds anything to the team.

He is a great hitter and contributed to some great years, but the fact he wore Dwight Evan's number 24 was a travesty. While Dewey had no skill as high echelon as Manny's ability to hit, he was 10x the teamate, and thus , ten times the player to root for.

Good ridance Manny.

P-L
08-02-2008, 07:25 PM
So, how 'bout that Jason Bay guy?

Don Vito
08-03-2008, 01:13 AM
If he was your favorite baseball player, you truly don't understand the game. Manny was a great hitter, a skill that is obviously eroding for him. He is selfish, derisive and lacks any secondary skill beyond his ability to hit that adds anything to the team.

He is a great hitter and contributed to some great years, but the fact he wore Dwight Evan's number 24 was a travesty. While Dewey had no skill as high echelon as Manny's ability to hit, he was 10x the teamate, and thus , ten times the player to root for.

Good ridance Manny.

He was my favorite player because of his ability, not because of how much of a team player he was. He is gone and I am happy because he was hurting the team, but it sucks to see how he really damaged his legacy in Boston. Buthopefully Jason Bay plays well, he's looked good in his first two games.

Bigburt63
08-04-2008, 09:35 AM
First off, I like the trade because I have been a fan of Bay's since before last season, but also because it is a clear case of addition by subtraction. The whole ordeal with manny was a distraction in the clubhouse, not only to players, but to managers, coaches, ownership as well. Any time veterans, I've heard it was tek, go to management and say that they cant trust a teammate of theirs to play hard and that they want him gone, that player has to go. We will probably never know the true extent that manny was having on the clubhouse, but I like the move for now and the future (Bay is comparable, if not better at THIS POINT in their careers to manny).

On a side note, check out this article on dusty, its hysterical.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3512455

Sniper
08-04-2008, 09:42 AM
98 coming in, 102 coming out. Haha.

Bigburt63
08-07-2008, 01:01 PM
I'd also like to say that Jed Lowrie is a beast, and nobody seems to be missing Lugo. Lowrie already has as many RBIs as Lugo does, and as many HR's (1, mighty powerful SSs we got!)

LuCKy_JuNiOr
08-09-2008, 12:23 PM
I'd also like to say that Jed Lowrie is a beast, and nobody seems to be missing Lugo. Lowrie already has as many RBIs as Lugo does, and as many HR's (1, mighty powerful SSs we got!)

While I do like his OBP and the fact that Lugo hasn't come back yet. We only have a SSS to deal with. His BABIP is extremely high, considering his BA. Something Ellsbury did last year. It's an unsustainable BABIP as long as his BA is under .300.

alca1992
08-14-2008, 07:13 AM
now that lowell is on the DL. who is starting at 3rd?

Im_a_Romosexual
08-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Youk with Casey at first. Maybe Cora for a few games

Bigburt63
08-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Youk with Casey at first. Maybe Cora for a few games

or lowrie w/ cora at SS, or Lugo at SS if/when he comes back

luckyjackaubrey
08-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Lugo has lost his job. He will have to play as a "super sub" and excel in order to get back into the mix next season. Francona is very adept at holding the line on what is best for the team in any given circumstance. This particular circumstance is that the team is deep in playoff contention and the injured player in question has been outperformed by his replacement. There is no skill that Lugo has and has exhibited recently that warrants the removal of Lowrie. He may have better range defensively, but he was having a horrible year in the field. He may be faster on the bases, but that skill is represented by many other in the lineup. Having Lowrie in the lineup has not hindered the won loss totals and he has showed true clutch hitting during his trial. The job was supposed to be shared by Lowrie and Cora and the share has been more like 90%-10% . The kid won the job plain and simple.

ImBrotherCain
10-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Lets Go Sox!!!

luckyjackaubrey
11-06-2008, 12:30 PM
I am finding myself intrigued by the Rangers lineup possibilities. I like all of the players except Milton Bradley. they have some really young pitching talent that won't be there for a year or two. I would love to see us package Coco, and some of that young talent we were offering the Twins for either Jarrod Saltalamacchia or better yet Taylor Teagarden as our catcher of the future. That kid was a stud at Texas, and last year he came back from surgery and hit 27 homers. He was always a great defensive catcher, good character and makeup. I would love to see him as Varitek's understudy. I would overpay for him long before I would do the same for Santana.

Catching talent is so hard to come by and we have had it too good with the captain here, and that time will end soon.

I wanted this guy a year ago !

JJJ888
12-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Time to get this Red Sox discussion started again. I'm already missing baseball season. Issues for the offseason:

1. Sign/go after Texeira? I'm inclined to say yes, because we just don't know what the status of Mike Lowell's hip is. Texeira would add some major power to our lineup, is much younger than Lowell, and we don't lose anything defensively with him playing 1st instead of Youk. And I'm not sure Youk can't be just as good a 3rd baseman as he is at first. The only problem with signing Tex now is that it would block Lars Anderson's path to the majors in a year and a half, and Anderson is supposed to be dominant.

2. 5th starter. I personally like Derek Lowe, who might be willing to give us a home team discount since he likes playing in Boston, specifically because of his durability and consistency. He's an experienced pitcher with the ability to be a clutch starter, as we all know from '04. AJ Burnett I'm not as sold on. He might have the higher ceiling, but he's also less durable. A five year contract to Burnett might be hard to stomach. Nevertheless, if we get either of the two, I'll be more pleased than trying to move Masterson or plug in Bowden or Bucholz, or even Tazawa.

3. Catching situation. I'd like to see Varitek resigned, at least for another 2 years. We have a nice catcher in the system with Luis Exposito, and he should be able to make the bigs by 2011. In the meantime, I find Kevin Cash to be a suitable backup, and obviously he does a nice job catching Wake. I'm disinclined to trade for Salty or Teagarden, since we'd have to give up a top pitching prospect to get one of them. I like Masterson as a dominant setup guy in the pen, the club has already said that Bucholz is here to stay, and after Bowden, we don't have another top starter in the minors, especially at the higher levels (Kelly, Pimentel, and Hagadone may prove to be good, buth they've got a ways to go.)

Bigburt63
12-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Time to get this Red Sox discussion started again. I'm already missing baseball season. Issues for the offseason:

1. Sign/go after Texeira? I'm inclined to say yes, because we just don't know what the status of Mike Lowell's hip is. Texeira would add some major power to our lineup, is much younger than Lowell, and we don't lose anything defensively with him playing 1st instead of Youk. And I'm not sure Youk can't be just as good a 3rd baseman as he is at first. The only problem with signing Tex now is that it would block Lars Anderson's path to the majors in a year and a half, and Anderson is supposed to be dominant.

2. 5th starter. I personally like Derek Lowe, who might be willing to give us a home team discount since he likes playing in Boston, specifically because of his durability and consistency. He's an experienced pitcher with the ability to be a clutch starter, as we all know from '04. AJ Burnett I'm not as sold on. He might have the higher ceiling, but he's also less durable. A five year contract to Burnett might be hard to stomach. Nevertheless, if we get either of the two, I'll be more pleased than trying to move Masterson or plug in Bowden or Bucholz, or even Tazawa.

3. Catching situation. I'd like to see Varitek resigned, at least for another 2 years. We have a nice catcher in the system with Luis Exposito, and he should be able to make the bigs by 2011. In the meantime, I find Kevin Cash to be a suitable backup, and obviously he does a nice job catching Wake. I'm disinclined to trade for Salty or Teagarden, since we'd have to give up a top pitching prospect to get one of them. I like Masterson as a dominant setup guy in the pen, the club has already said that Bucholz is here to stay, and after Bowden, we don't have another top starter in the minors, especially at the higher levels (Kelly, Pimentel, and Hagadone may prove to be good, buth they've got a ways to go.)

I'm not opposed to trading one of our young pitchers for a stud catcher prospect, because even if the pitcher pans out, its still not a guarantee, plus we have enough young arms at the moment that we can trade one to fill a significant hole in our lineup. I love tek, dont get me wrong, but even if he comes back, its for 2 years at the most and his bat is jsut awful right now. I'd like to get salty or another young catcher to groom behind tek for a year or two. what i really like about salty is that tek is his idol, and he has tried to mold himself like tek.

The fifth starter is less of an issue for me due to our depth of young pitching (masterson, bowden, buchholz, even possibly tazawa, though i dont expect much from him) the rotation,to me, looks as such Beckett, Dice-k, Lester, Wakefield, Buchholz/Bowden/Masterson....the last 4 are some sort of combination.

As far as Texeira goes, I'm all for the signing, as his bat will replace manny's. a lineup of dusty at 2nd, tex at 1st, youk at 3rd, lowry at short, bay, ellsbury, drew, left to right, and papi at dh is really good, and solid defensively. id only say lowell is the odd man out as his age/injury issues are causes for concern.

JJJ888
12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm not opposed to trading one of our young pitchers for a stud catcher prospect, because even if the pitcher pans out, its still not a guarantee, plus we have enough young arms at the moment that we can trade one to fill a significant hole in our lineup. I love tek, dont get me wrong, but even if he comes back, its for 2 years at the most and his bat is jsut awful right now. I'd like to get salty or another young catcher to groom behind tek for a year or two. what i really like about salty is that tek is his idol, and he has tried to mold himself like tek.

The fifth starter is less of an issue for me due to our depth of young pitching (masterson, bowden, buchholz, even possibly tazawa, though i dont expect much from him) the rotation,to me, looks as such Beckett, Dice-k, Lester, Wakefield, Buchholz/Bowden/Masterson....the last 4 are some sort of combination.

As far as Texeira goes, I'm all for the signing, as his bat will replace manny's. a lineup of dusty at 2nd, tex at 1st, youk at 3rd, lowry at short, bay, ellsbury, drew, left to right, and papi at dh is really good, and solid defensively. id only say lowell is the odd man out as his age/injury issues are causes for concern.

Of the three guys you mention as possible 5th starters, I think the only one who is really a candidate to start the season in the rotation is Masterson. Bucholz is going to need some more time to get things sorted out in the minors and Bowden simply doesn't have enough major league experience to be immediately penciled into a rotation like ours. Personally, I like Masterson better in the pen--think his pitch mix is better suited as a setup man--but seeing him in the rotation wouldn't be all bad. I definitely don't expect a guy with zero professional pitching experience (Tazawa) to make the opening day rotation.

As far as trading away Bowden goes (and I think he's the most likely to be shipped to Texas if we do make the trade), I'm also concerned with who the spot starter will be when one of the starters goes down, as is bound to happen. Charlie Zink? Devern Hansack? David Pauley? Kris Johnson might be the top propspect closest to the majors with Bowden's departure. I suppose Bucholz could do it, but if you're trying to return the guy to form, rushing him to the majors doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

The arbitration issue could make the whole Lowe/Burnett signing interesting, as the Sox would then give up their 2009 first round draft pick...

Bigburt63
12-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Of the three guys you mention as possible 5th starters, I think the only one who is really a candidate to start the season in the rotation is Masterson. Bucholz is going to need some more time to get things sorted out in the minors and Bowden simply doesn't have enough major league experience to be immediately penciled into a rotation like ours. Personally, I like Masterson better in the pen--think his pitch mix is better suited as a setup man--but seeing him in the rotation wouldn't be all bad. I definitely don't expect a guy with zero professional pitching experience (Tazawa) to make the opening day rotation.

As far as trading away Bowden goes (and I think he's the most likely to be shipped to Texas if we do make the trade), I'm also concerned with who the spot starter will be when one of the starters goes down, as is bound to happen. Charlie Zink? Devern Hansack? David Pauley? Kris Johnson might be the top propspect closest to the majors with Bowden's departure. I suppose Bucholz could do it, but if you're trying to return the guy to form, rushing him to the majors doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

The arbitration issue could make the whole Lowe/Burnett signing interesting, as the Sox would then give up their 2009 first round draft pick...

no i know tazawa has no experience, thats why i dont expect anything from him this year, it should take at least one year before he has the experience, much less the stuff, to go to the bigs, but he is an interesting developmental pick-up.

the last i heard the sox were open to the idea, if not even leaning towards having masterson return to the rotation as he was very effective at it. they traded for their RHP set-up man in the coco deal, assuming Ramon Ramirez pans out as they hope.

you make a good point about having back-up starters when the inevitable (knock on wood it/they wont happen) injuries occur. i guess it comes down to the loss of a pitcher for those tough spots versus the brass' confidence in our back-up catchers (kottaras,bard,etc.)

luckyjackaubrey
12-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Hot stove baseball ! Nothing better... I can't wait for the signings and trades to heat up. I'll put my Sox GM hat on and toss my plan on the table as well.

1. Sign Texiera. If the Yankees are focused on pitching, no one can compete with Boston financially for him. He wants to come back east, Boston is winning and set up to continue winning where Washington and Baltimore will not have sniffed the playoffs for decades. He returns the lineup to past levels of potency and upgrades the defence. Lowell does get bounced from the lineup but if you believe in pitching depth, you have to believe a guy like him coming off the bench can be a good thing over a 162 game season. Youk's versatility and Papi's health, Drew's problems with Lefties all lend themselves to some bench strength as a neccesity. If it isn't working out, and all guys are healthy and productive, you have a trade deadline commodity to fix other issues. I don't think it is a lock, but I put Boston in the lead for Tex at this point. A ton of money has been shed from the payroll and this is a young, talented, character issue-less guy that makes sense to spend some of that on.
2. Resign Varitek. I don't care if its 1, 2 or 2 and an option. He is very important to this team on multiple levels. His work with the pitchers is his biggest contribution. The league is full of young talented arms, and very few make it to the stardom predicted as they climb the minor league ladder. Pitching is as much mental preparation and attitude as it is ability. This guy gives you a decided advantage with his work with a pitching staff. If he is not the guy back there, you lose not only his skills, but you have pitchers on the hill without their security blanket. He may not hit like he once did, but he may bounce back. There were lots of potential reasons for his big drop (divorce, sick ). I would expect him to rebound somewhat. If you sign Tex, the offence you get from this position is far less important. He needs to be the mentor to whatever young catcher is developed to eventually replace him. On another level, you need Tek on this team for the fans. I am a little older than most of the posters here, I saw Pudge hit the foul pole in "75. I like the 1 team carreer guys. Dwight Evans , Yaz etc... As much as we would all like to win world series after world series, It doesn't work that way very often. Sometimes the joy is found in having your team around for a while. I like to see new kids coming up, trades made. But I also cherish the lifers that my team gets its identity from. Tek is THAT guy for the Red Sox. He needs to go out in this uniform. As a big market team there is plenty of money to pay him well for a year or two and reward him for a carreer devoted to making the Sox winners.
3. Trade for the eventual replacement for Tek. I believe in building up the middle in baseball. You need pitching, defence at cf, ss and catcher. There is no one in the minors who you can say will be the next catcher. I have heard the buzz on Esposito. Well there is buzz on the kid at AA every year. There are on the average 20 catchers in the organization every year and yet we can name 1 in the past 15 years who has made it to the major leagues from this team (Kelly Shoppach). Last year I read stories about Dusty Brown and Mark Wagner. The year before Wells was traded for Kotteras and he was the guy anointed the heir. Catching is a difficult spot to fill. The chance to get a kid who has made it to the threshold of the majors needs to be explored. I like the idea of dealing with Texas for either Saltalamacchia or Teagarden. I like them both very much. I am a realist when it comes to trade proposals and I am at peace with having to give equal talent to aquire quality. If it takes Bucholtz, so be it. I would prefer to package multiple prospects such as Bowden, Hagadone, and Delcarmen. If it took Bucholtz I would try to expand the deal to include Michael Young (ss) from texas and toss in Lowrie (ss). Texas is attempting to build a team to contend 2-3 years from now. Young is a vet in his prime, he will be a below avg SS at the time the team is ready to contend. Lowrie gives them a stop gap to hold ss until texas' #1 prospect Andrus is ready, then Lowrie become a super sub for them. I think Lowrie is a good, not great player. His value is highest now, before you run him out there 145 times to SS and then find he really isn't a 0 error guy. I would not be suprised if he hit .235 next year, or if he hit .295. Young gives you an above average offensive SS, which minimizes the impact of Tek's declining offense. My wish would be for Salty for the 3 man package listed above.
4. 5th starter. Needs to be thought of as the 4th starter. Wake is the guy you anticipate someday not being there. If Buch is indeed who you trade to get the young catcher, then the team has no fallback plan if you lose any of the top 3 starters for any extended period. I go sign Derek Lowe for 3 years if that is the case. YOu know he can deal with the pressure of Boston, he loved it here. He is rubber armed and does not get hurt. And he can pitch in big games and produce. It will cost, yes, but if you are making moves to win titles then you don't go into a season counting on your big 3 to not break down when you have an ace coming off a sub-par season, a #2 who won 18 games but can't pitch more than 5 2/3 innings a game due to walks, and a (god I love this kid) youngster in Lester who just threw 2x as many innings in a year as he had in the previous 3 combined . If the deal for the catcher doesnt cost Bucholtz, I may temper the signing of lowe. I don't think he needs much time to straighten himself out and I think having all spots blocked infront of him would do him more harm than good. I expect Theo to have his fate well figured out before the trade deadline this summer. He will be in the rotation or shipped out while his star stills burns very bright.
5. Bench . Sign Wil Bomquist to replace Cora. Good defence, much better bat. I'll take Rocco Baldelli for the righty bat and outfield depth. And Keep Lugo as a super utility guy. No one is giving us value if we dump him now. If Tito can convince him he will play 3-4 times a week all over the field and he catches a spark, he could be worth much more at the trade deadline.

Love to write more but I got to get to work. I'll add more later.

Bigburt63
12-03-2008, 04:47 PM
sox signed pedroia to 6 year extension, 40.5 mill......love it

JJJ888
12-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Hot stove baseball ! Nothing better... I can't wait for the signings and trades to heat up. I'll put my Sox GM hat on and toss my plan on the table as well.

1. Sign Texiera. If the Yankees are focused on pitching, no one can compete with Boston financially for him. He wants to come back east, Boston is winning and set up to continue winning where Washington and Baltimore will not have sniffed the playoffs for decades. He returns the lineup to past levels of potency and upgrades the defence. Lowell does get bounced from the lineup but if you believe in pitching depth, you have to believe a guy like him coming off the bench can be a good thing over a 162 game season. Youk's versatility and Papi's health, Drew's problems with Lefties all lend themselves to some bench strength as a neccesity. If it isn't working out, and all guys are healthy and productive, you have a trade deadline commodity to fix other issues. I don't think it is a lock, but I put Boston in the lead for Tex at this point. A ton of money has been shed from the payroll and this is a young, talented, character issue-less guy that makes sense to spend some of that on.
2. Resign Varitek. I don't care if its 1, 2 or 2 and an option. He is very important to this team on multiple levels. His work with the pitchers is his biggest contribution. The league is full of young talented arms, and very few make it to the stardom predicted as they climb the minor league ladder. Pitching is as much mental preparation and attitude as it is ability. This guy gives you a decided advantage with his work with a pitching staff. If he is not the guy back there, you lose not only his skills, but you have pitchers on the hill without their security blanket. He may not hit like he once did, but he may bounce back. There were lots of potential reasons for his big drop (divorce, sick ). I would expect him to rebound somewhat. If you sign Tex, the offence you get from this position is far less important. He needs to be the mentor to whatever young catcher is developed to eventually replace him. On another level, you need Tek on this team for the fans. I am a little older than most of the posters here, I saw Pudge hit the foul pole in "75. I like the 1 team carreer guys. Dwight Evans , Yaz etc... As much as we would all like to win world series after world series, It doesn't work that way very often. Sometimes the joy is found in having your team around for a while. I like to see new kids coming up, trades made. But I also cherish the lifers that my team gets its identity from. Tek is THAT guy for the Red Sox. He needs to go out in this uniform. As a big market team there is plenty of money to pay him well for a year or two and reward him for a carreer devoted to making the Sox winners.
3. Trade for the eventual replacement for Tek. I believe in building up the middle in baseball. You need pitching, defence at cf, ss and catcher. There is no one in the minors who you can say will be the next catcher. I have heard the buzz on Esposito. Well there is buzz on the kid at AA every year. There are on the average 20 catchers in the organization every year and yet we can name 1 in the past 15 years who has made it to the major leagues from this team (Kelly Shoppach). Last year I read stories about Dusty Brown and Mark Wagner. The year before Wells was traded for Kotteras and he was the guy anointed the heir. Catching is a difficult spot to fill. The chance to get a kid who has made it to the threshold of the majors needs to be explored. I like the idea of dealing with Texas for either Saltalamacchia or Teagarden. I like them both very much. I am a realist when it comes to trade proposals and I am at peace with having to give equal talent to aquire quality. If it takes Bucholtz, so be it. I would prefer to package multiple prospects such as Bowden, Hagadone, and Delcarmen. If it took Bucholtz I would try to expand the deal to include Michael Young (ss) from texas and toss in Lowrie (ss). Texas is attempting to build a team to contend 2-3 years from now. Young is a vet in his prime, he will be a below avg SS at the time the team is ready to contend. Lowrie gives them a stop gap to hold ss until texas' #1 prospect Andrus is ready, then Lowrie become a super sub for them. I think Lowrie is a good, not great player. His value is highest now, before you run him out there 145 times to SS and then find he really isn't a 0 error guy. I would not be suprised if he hit .235 next year, or if he hit .295. Young gives you an above average offensive SS, which minimizes the impact of Tek's declining offense. My wish would be for Salty for the 3 man package listed above.
4. 5th starter. Needs to be thought of as the 4th starter. Wake is the guy you anticipate someday not being there. If Buch is indeed who you trade to get the young catcher, then the team has no fallback plan if you lose any of the top 3 starters for any extended period. I go sign Derek Lowe for 3 years if that is the case. YOu know he can deal with the pressure of Boston, he loved it here. He is rubber armed and does not get hurt. And he can pitch in big games and produce. It will cost, yes, but if you are making moves to win titles then you don't go into a season counting on your big 3 to not break down when you have an ace coming off a sub-par season, a #2 who won 18 games but can't pitch more than 5 2/3 innings a game due to walks, and a (god I love this kid) youngster in Lester who just threw 2x as many innings in a year as he had in the previous 3 combined . If the deal for the catcher doesnt cost Bucholtz, I may temper the signing of lowe. I don't think he needs much time to straighten himself out and I think having all spots blocked infront of him would do him more harm than good. I expect Theo to have his fate well figured out before the trade deadline this summer. He will be in the rotation or shipped out while his star stills burns very bright.
5. Bench . Sign Wil Bomquist to replace Cora. Good defence, much better bat. I'll take Rocco Baldelli for the righty bat and outfield depth. And Keep Lugo as a super utility guy. No one is giving us value if we dump him now. If Tito can convince him he will play 3-4 times a week all over the field and he catches a spark, he could be worth much more at the trade deadline.

Love to write more but I got to get to work. I'll add more later.

Nice point on the loyalty thing with Varitek. I'd like to see 33 hanging in right field some day.

I think you may be overestimating the amount we'd have to give up for a Texas catcher...a top prospect, super reliable reliever, and a former first-round pick is far too much for either Salty or Teagarden. The Rangers are the ones with the extra catching prospects (there's no way you can get all 4 of their catchers on the field at the same time!), and while I'd like to obtain the catcher of the future, I'm not ready to sacrifice all of the arms with the highest potential in our farm system to get it done. Unfortunately, we're not that loaded any more with top minor league pitchers (Casey Kelly's conversion may help, as well as Tazawa's signing).

JJJ888
12-06-2008, 12:55 AM
sox signed pedroia to 6 year extension, 40.5 mill......love it

You have to love it. Who heard of signing an MVP for less than 7 mill a year?

Bigburt63
12-06-2008, 10:57 PM
its not even how much we are paying him, thats just a perk to get him for so cheap...his story is awesome, little guy making it big, tito sticking with him his rookie year at the beginning, rookie of the year, gold glove, then mvp th next year, just awesome....that and hes gonna be here for 6+ years is great

luckyjackaubrey
12-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Nice point on the loyalty thing with Varitek. I'd like to see 33 hanging in right field some day.

I think you may be overestimating the amount we'd have to give up for a Texas catcher...a top prospect, super reliable reliever, and a former first-round pick is far too much for either Salty or Teagarden. The Rangers are the ones with the extra catching prospects (there's no way you can get all 4 of their catchers on the field at the same time!), and while I'd like to obtain the catcher of the future, I'm not ready to sacrifice all of the arms with the highest potential in our farm system to get it done. Unfortunately, we're not that loaded any more with top minor league pitchers (Casey Kelly's conversion may help, as well as Tazawa's signing).

I would only do the buch, delcarmen, lowrie package for the catcher of my choice from Teagarden or saltalamacchia, and Young. I don't think Lowrie is going to be a high level ss for long. I think you trade him while others see him as a big value. He will come back to earth as he gets more exposure. If you are a young kid coming up with a team like the Sox, teams are going to pitch to you and not the proven vets around you. He will be an average majorl leaguer when it is all said and done.

If we are just getting the young catcher, I trade EITHER Bucholtz alone ( I would rather not but if they won't budge, I don't go into the spring without the deal done). or Delcarmen and a minor league prospect (Preferably Bowden, Bard if they push for him). I do not trade Masterson. He is your key bullpen arm at this point. Paps is useless if you can't get to him. Oki showed he will have stretches of being hittable, and Delcarmen is loaded with talent, but his results are inconsistent.

I don't want to have to trade any of these kids, but you have to give to get. We have a surplus of talent in the pitching dept and can use it to address the catching situation. As a team with $$$ we can then use FA to patch smaller holes.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
12-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Picking up Saltalamacchia and Young for Lowrie, Buchholz, and Delcarmen would be a great deal for the Sox.

JJJ888
01-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Don't know if you've been following the Hot Stove recently, but there's a lot to be excited about going on in Boston.

1. John Smoltz--Before his injury last year (the Sox don't plan on pitching him until June 1 anyways), Smoltz was one of the best pitchers in the game. He has the ability to still be an ace and is certainly a capable big game pitcher. The addition of Brad Penny means that the Red Sox don't have to rely on Smoltz to be their fifth starter, but he is an incredible luxury.

2. Takashi Saito--No doubt about it, the Sox now have the best bullpen in baseball. Saito, another guy injured in the middle of last season, has a lifetime era of under 2.00, and has a fair amount of experience as a closer. Plus, as another Japanese speaker, he should buddy up with Daisuke and Oki, which may make all three more effective.

3. Rocco Baldelli--Baldelli is certainly a medical risk, but at the price the Sox paid for him (500,000--plus incentives) he's another value pickup. He's got the potential to be a solid starter if the Sox need him to be, and he can play all three outfield positions.

4. Mark Kotsay--Kotsay provides the Sox with a lot of flexibility. He can be the 4th outfielder if Baldelli is suffering (his condition is reportedly a highly treatable form of excessive fatigue), and he can also play first, which gives the Sox a ton of options on the infield.

The Red Sox may not have gotten better as loudly as the Yankees have this offseason, but they certainly are a better team than they fielded in 2008. Catcher is still a worry, but I'm confident that Varitek will be brought back. If not, you can be sure that Epstein and the front office will make sure a viable replacement is found.

Bigburt63
01-10-2009, 10:06 PM
The Red Sox may not have gotten better as loudly as the Yankees have this offseason, but they certainly are a better team than they fielded in 2008. Catcher is still a worry, but I'm confident that Varitek will be brought back. If not, you can be sure that Epstein and the front office will make sure a viable replacement is found.

The yankees really havent gotten that much better. Sure Sabathia and Tex are great pickups, but Burnett hasn't been able to stay healthy for a whole year ever, pitching over 200 innings three times ever. Also, you have to look at what the yankees lost. Mussina retiring is losing a 20 game winner with a 3.37 ERA. Sabathia's stats were 17 wins (combined) with a 2.70 era. Pettitte might not come back, and he won 14 games last year, Burnett won 18 with a similar ERA to Pettitte's. They have gotten younger yes, but not leaps and bounds better than they were the year before. Tex hit 33 HR, 121 RBI...Giambi and Abreu (gone) hit 32 and 96, and 20 and 100 respectively. Again, have they gotten better and younger, absolutely, but not superbly better like some are making the moves out to be.

luckyjackaubrey
01-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Reading the Boston Papers, there is much mixed sentiment regarding all these pickups. Many are frustrated that all we are signing are injured / rehabbing / washed up guys. I think Theo is doing a great job filling in depth. Him bringing in Smoltz to be #6 starter is far different then Them counting on Saberhagen to be #2 back in the day.

He must be lining up a trade of some sort. I can see him now able to get a trade done with Texas or Arizona for a catcher. Maybe he doesn't give either team the one guy they want (BUch) but is now able to give a larger group of prospects, including to guys with major league time ( Delcarmen).

Don Vito
01-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Saito is really an underrated signing, our bullpen should be the best in the league this year. Penny is a real boom or bust signing but we can afford to do that with all of the other starters we have.

Let the Yanks keep going after the big names while we try to win games not sell jerseys.

luckyjackaubrey
01-12-2009, 07:07 AM
just read on baseballtraderumors.com that Michael Young demanded a trade back in December when the team asked him to move to 3rd base for next year. Now with all these depth signings, I can really see us going in for one of their catchers and young for a lesser package than before. Interesting.

Bigburt63
01-17-2009, 04:37 PM
That would be awesome if we could somehow land young, although i am a big fan of lowrie. On a side note, Youk signed a 4 year extension, so he and Pedroia will be around will be around for the near future which is key. Unlike the yankees, the red sox have an emerging young core of cog players (pedroia, youk, ellsbury, lester, even dice-k and beckett). Also, i read on si.com that they are talking with Bay about an extension which would be awesome as he would be alot cheaper than most FA's with his levels of production.

luckyjackaubrey
01-17-2009, 05:52 PM
young has agreed to play 3rd. I have heard nothing but bad things as far as the sox getting him. Glad they did not have the chance.

Nalej
01-17-2009, 06:27 PM
I hope we stick with Lowrie. I think he's headed for big things.

Bigburt63
04-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Opening day officially moved to tomorrow. I have big expectations for this season, I don't know about you guys. Our lineup, although lacking a clear cut huge power guy (unless Ortiz is healthy) is very deep from 2-7 (1-7 if Ellsbury can be more consistent). Bullpen is better than it was last year, and the rotation is 6 or 7 deep.

Let's go Sox!

Don Vito
04-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Opening day officially moved to tomorrow. I have big expectations for this season, I don't know about you guys. Our lineup, although lacking a clear cut huge power guy (unless Ortiz is healthy) is very deep from 2-7 (1-7 if Ellsbury can be more consistent). Bullpen is better than it was last year, and the rotation is 6 or 7 deep.

Let's go Sox!

I agree, I think this is a very well rounded team that will be a contender. We have a great looking rotation and bullpen, we just need everyone to stay healthy. Our lineup looks very solid too, we are very deep as you said. As Nalej said, Jed Lowrie is a guy who excites me a lot. A young, well-rounded SS without a huge contract is something we haven't had in a while.

ElectricEye
04-06-2009, 03:24 PM
I could see our offense sucking, but our pitching is legit. Deep as any rotation I can remember us having. I think we're a bat away from making a deep post season run.

Nalej
04-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I doubt our Offense sucks this year.
Our bullpen is deep as hell. I love it!
I think we have a chance to win 100 games this year.

F the Yanks

nepg
04-07-2009, 08:06 AM
The offense is so deep this year... Injuries won't be nearly as hard to overcome. And if Lowell, Youk, or an OF gets injured, Chris Carter should be an immediate RoY candidate and Lars Anderson isn't far off from being called up.

I do worry about the depth at 2B/SS, but that's it. Everything else is dandy.
________
Iolite packaging (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/)

ElectricEye
04-07-2009, 11:26 AM
I LOVE Lars Anderson, and yeah, he isn't far off...but I think he needs to finish the year in the minors. Good for his development. Then again, maybe a major league strength program can kick start some of that power potential...

Still, while our offense is deep, I could see us having a hard time scoring runs. Chris Carter and Jeff Bailey are two guys who could end up being quality bats for us if Lowell goes down(Which he will. I think it's naive to expect him to last an entire season at this point) I still think we're going to have trouble producing at times. Too many guys with injury problems and not enough big bats to compensate for that. Suppose it depends a lot on how healthy Papi is.

alca1992
04-07-2009, 01:57 PM
im so pumped for this year. i still belive that were on top. rays 2nd. i can tell you know Yankees will finish 3rd five games under.

anyways our pitching is packed. evreyone is capable of winning 15 games. plus we have insurance with smoltz and bucholtz.

P-L
04-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Josh Beckett has been really, really good so far. I don't know if he pitched this well in any game last season. He had a couple of bumps in the third inning, but other than he has been lights out dominant.

7 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 10 K

Don Vito
04-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Beckett was very impressive and the hitting was solid (Pedroia's first at bat homer was awesome), but I am really worried about Okajima. I know it is only the first game but after being unhittable his first year he really hasn't looked good.

Nalej
04-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Beckett was amazing. V-Tek homerin was sweet to see as well.
I'ma lil worried about Oki but I think he'll get it going like he did late last yr
The good thing this year is that our bullpen is so deep- there's really no pressure to force anything with him

P-L
04-07-2009, 06:29 PM
I'ma lil worried about Oki but I think he'll get it going like he did late last yr The good thing this year is that our bullpen is so deep- there's really no pressure to force anything with him
Exactly. I doubt he plays as important of a role in the bullpen as the two years previously. I think Saito is going to be the primary set-up man for Pap and Masterson will probably share that 8th inning role and also be used in the 7th inning. Okajima came in today when we had a four run lead, and a non-save situation. If it was 5-3 at the start of the 8th inning, I think we would've seen Saito or Masterson come in to start the inning.

Bigburt63
04-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Exactly. I doubt he plays as important of a role in the bullpen as the two years previously. I think Saito is going to be the primary set-up man for Pap and Masterson will probably share that 8th inning role and also be used in the 7th inning. Okajima came in today when we had a four run lead, and a non-save situation. If it was 5-3 at the start of the 8th inning, I think we would've seen Saito or Masterson come in to start the inning.

Ya, I think this is a theme for the whole team this year. Our lineup is very deep, not spectacular at any one position (unless Ortiz is heatlhy), but top to bottom is very, very good.

Our rotation is 7 deep, with the top 3 being lights out potentially (Beckett, Dice-K, and Lester). Wakefield, Penny, Smoltz, and Buchholz are all very good 4-5 starters, with Buchholz having the potential to be a 1-2 someday.

JJJ888
04-07-2009, 10:06 PM
I was overall pretty happy with the team's performance today. Beckett showed that he should have his stuff back, it was nice to see Varitek make some nice contact, and I liked seeing Lowell hit the ball well on his double, although he sure did look slow moving down the first baseline.

On the Okajima front...eh. He gave up a walk and a HBP. Big deal. The control will come.

ElectricEye
04-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Good opening day. Beckett was lights out. I think he's finally over the fatigue from propelling us to that title a couple years back. Cy Young contention? I certainly hope so. Could be his year again.

The offense looked really good. Very balanced, very patient. None of those guys strike out very often either. Still, I'm not sold. Very different from the get on so Manny and Ortiz can drive you in for sure days. We'll see. Maybe I'm wrong. I could see this being an above average group, but not a championship caliber one at this point.

Excited for tomorrow. Two of the best young lefty's in baseball going at it. Hopefully Lester starts the year big like Beckett. I'm a bit concerned about his inning workload this season considering how much he threw last year, but he should be fine.

Bigburt63
04-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Good opening day. Beckett was lights out. I think he's finally over the fatigue from propelling us to that title a couple years back. Cy Young contention? I certainly hope so. Could be his year again.

The offense looked really good. Very balanced, very patient. None of those guys strike out very often either. Still, I'm not sold. Very different from the get on so Manny and Ortiz can drive you in for sure days. We'll see. Maybe I'm wrong. I could see this being an above average group, but not a championship caliber one at this point.

Excited for tomorrow. Two of the best young lefty's in baseball going at it. Hopefully Lester starts the year big like Beckett. I'm a bit concerned about his inning workload this season considering how much he threw last year, but he should be fine.

I was thinking about that as well. He threw more last year than every before in his young career. What I hypothesized, however, is that he is still getting stronger, he's only 25 (IIRC), and lost alot of strength in his bout with cancer. He is still gaining that strength back , and improving beyond that, so I think (hope) he is much stronger this year and can hold up the whole season (fingers crossed).

Bigburt63
04-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Eesh, Lester looked ugly tonight. As for the offense, that umpire's strike zone was terrible

alca1992
04-09-2009, 05:05 PM
well 1-2 isnt the greatest start. but hopefully rays wont always beat us

Nalej
04-09-2009, 06:49 PM
smh @ rays

alca1992
04-10-2009, 07:25 PM
we play angles tonight at 9. should be a good series

alca1992
04-11-2009, 12:32 PM
those road jerseys were fly!!

Nalej
04-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Yea, I'ma fan of these jerseys as well

Nalej
04-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Palp def earned that Save today. Scared me there a bit too.
Loading up the bases... Good win though. Well earned.

ElectricEye
04-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Good game. Penny looked pretty good today, actually. If we can get that on a consistent basis from him, it could really help the back end of our rotation. Nice to see Bay start out the year powerfully. We need to get 30+ homeruns out of him this year in order to have an effective offense(IMO). At least injuries aren't much of a concern with him. Oh, and yeah, Paps earned that save today.

Highlight of the minors today was probably Almanzar's day. He was bombing it in Spring Training and he hit his first of hopefully many today. Reddick is also absolutely clobbering the ball. We could see him up towards the end of the year, especially if Drew or Baldelli go down.

Nalej
04-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Highlight of the minors today was probably Almanzar's day. He was bombing it in Spring Training and he hit his first of hopefully many today. Reddick is also absolutely clobbering the ball. We could see him up towards the end of the year, especially if Drew or Baldelli go down.

Thanks for the Minor League update. I don't get NESN :(

Bigburt63
04-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Gotta love Beckett's intensity...if he got thrown out in the first I would have been pissed.

he typed as it became 3-2 angels... :(

alca1992
04-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the Minor League update. I don't get NESN :(

me neither :(

Bigburt63
04-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Eesh, not looking good on this young season. Far from over, but somebody needs to step up and start getting some timely hits. Youk is killing the ball right now, and Bay is off to a very fast start (for him), and a pretty good start overall, but they can't do it alone. We can get guys on base, just have to start knocking them in.

Nalej
04-27-2009, 06:59 PM
We are hot! Ellsbury stole home! We swept the Yankees!
This weekend hasn't been TOO bad lol

ElectricEye
04-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Gotta love the warm weather and winning baseball.

Bigburt63
04-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Jay Ray Bay!!!

ElectricEye
04-27-2009, 09:03 PM
How the hell about Tim Wakefield too? He's been absolutely untouchable this season.

nepg
04-28-2009, 08:16 AM
He'll fall apart later as he always does. Just wait for the weather to change.

ElectricEye
04-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Oh that's an absolute given. Still, it's kind of fun to see Wakefield pitching like a Cy Young candidate.

Nalej
05-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Since when does 0-7, 3K n 12 LOB equal David Ortiz?

Send him to the minors

bored of education
05-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Since when does 0-7, 3K n 12 LOB equal David Ortiz?

Send him to the minors

Since the beginning of this year. Big Poopy is sucking balls! Hope that Bay stays hot.

Bigburt63
05-15-2009, 01:28 PM
I don't know what is wrong with ortiz. Aside from last night, he isn't hitting terrible, not good but not terrible. The problem with sitting him or sending him to the minors is that a hitter needs to hit his way out of a slump. Maybe a day or two off, but our lineup is already beat up with Youk out, Dusty being dinged up, same with Lowell. Bay is a man-beast at this point; contract year, shouldn't have expected anything less, which is why he's on the fantasy team :)

Im_a_Romosexual
05-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Sending him to the minors is going overboard. Definately time to move him down the lineup imo.

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Bay
Youkilis
Drew
Lowell
Papi

Bigburt63
05-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Sending him to the minors is going overboard. Definately time to move him down the lineup imo.

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Bay
Youkilis
Drew
Lowell
Papi

That's only when Youk is back though

Don Vito
05-16-2009, 03:50 PM
So who is going to be the DH now since Ortiz ins't starting?

Bigburt63
05-16-2009, 06:16 PM
So who is going to be the DH now since Ortiz ins't starting?

Rocco was the DH last night. Maybe Lugo with Green at SS, or switch those 2?

Bigburt63
07-13-2009, 09:33 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AokN63ZWQ4Tkmd91w9.j3cI5nYcB?slug=jp-kelly071209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

interesting article on Kelley, the first round pick SS/SP. I've never heard anything like this before, at least recently, and thought he had made the switch to SP full-time.

Don Vito
07-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Renfroe, the P/SS third rounder out of South Panola HS (Batesville, MS) is a talented dude who I am really intrigued about. Us and the Yankees were looking at him hard and a lot of people saw him as a first round talent but we got him in the third. I know of him a little since his HS is 20 minutes away from Ole Miss and he planned on going there if he doesn't immediately pursue pro baseball. His high school is a perennial top national football program and he started at QB there, he is quite an athlete.

Bigburt63
07-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Alright, what do you guys think we do today? Any huge moves, minor ones, nothing at all?

Don Vito
07-31-2009, 02:54 PM
We got Victor Martinez officially from what I hear, we gave up Masterson and two prospects. Nothing on ESPN yet but for those of you who go on barstool there is a link there. I am pumped about the move, plus we are still going after Halladay hard.

Nalej
07-31-2009, 04:15 PM
No Halladay- a little disappointing BUT
the Blue Jays wanted Bucholz AND Daniel Bard among others- **** THAT

We got V-Mart and DIDN'T give up Bucholz.
I like it 'cause it gives us a catcher for next year
'cause we probably won't resign V-Tek- I doubt it, at least
We did give up Masterson and 3 other prospects though
My only concern now is that Masterson was a vital part of our bullpen
Bucholz will probably stay with us (not go back to AAA)
and Daniel Bard will probably fill in Masterson part even more now.

I like how we're looking.

We even traded LaRouche back to the Braves for their 1B bc he'd handle being a bench guy more then LaRoche would sooooo... I can understand that

Time for Smoltz, Dice-K, Penny and company to start pitching to their capabilities and we'll be fine.

Nalej
08-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Smoltz got designated for assignment. Thank God!

Matthew Jones
08-09-2009, 10:02 PM
No Halladay- a little disappointing BUT
the Blue Jays wanted Bucholz AND Daniel Bard among others- **** THAT

We got V-Mart and DIDN'T give up Bucholz.
I like it 'cause it gives us a catcher for next year
'cause we probably won't resign V-Tek- I doubt it, at least
We did give up Masterson and 3 other prospects though
My only concern now is that Masterson was a vital part of our bullpen
Bucholz will probably stay with us (not go back to AAA)
and Daniel Bard will probably fill in Masterson part even more now.

I like how we're looking.

We even traded LaRouche back to the Braves for their 1B bc he'd handle being a bench guy more then LaRoche would sooooo... I can understand that

Time for Smoltz, Dice-K, Penny and company to start pitching to their capabilities and we'll be fine.

The only thing I think about Clay is that he's inexplicably an outstanding AAA pitcher, but he can't get anything done in the MLB whatsoever. I can't help but feel like we're going to lose when I see that he's starting. Hopefully that'll change, and I actually do love Daniel Bard ever since I saw him in that national championship game in college, but Roy Halladay is one of the best pitchers in the league and I would have definitely traded Clay and Bard for Halladay. The starting pitching is a mess. Aside from Lester and Beckett, we have a bunch of young, unproven guys, a bunch of old guys, a bunch of injured guys, and a bunch of bad guys. Or some combination of those.

Varitek will be back because IIRC he has a $3m player option. I doubt he gets that much somewhere else, he's pretty much done. I love the guy, and he's the captain, but he's killing the team as well. This lineup is abysmal. It's filled with old guys, injury-prone guys, and a lot of them can't really hit, either. It's time to really clean house with this. Martinez/Pedroia/Youkilis/Bay/Ellsbury, I say we should keep. Other than that, we need four new players. I'd use Youk at third and get a new first baseman because they're easier to find (Martinez behind the plate.)

There's no indication that Lowrie is really the future at SS so I left that open as well. J.D. Drew was someone I didn't want to sign in the first place, he's injury prone and aside from having a nice on-base percentage isn't really a top hitter. I'd replace him if we could, he's too expensive, and he's 33 and not hitting too well. Ortiz should really go, too. The steroid thing coupled with the fact that he's old, expensive, can't hit, and can't play defense means we should just eat his salary.

At some points you just have to admit you messed up, eat the salaries, and start over. That's what Boston should do with Varitek, Ortiz, Drew, etc. Get anything you can, or just cut them and eat the salary. You don't need a bunch of mid-30s guys with big salaries and batting averages ranging from .220 to .250 eating roster spots when those three can be replaced by three players who better fit the team. His value is probably nonexistent now, but I'd try to get rid of Daisuke, too. Is anyone convinced he can be even a good #5 pitcher? I'm not. His fastball is a dud, and he walks everyone. So far, we've paid $104 million (incl. negotiating rights) for one good season, one average one, and one train-wreck. Not worth it.

There's really no way I can see this team winning 4-of-7 from teams like the Yankees at this point - the pitching isn't deep enough and the hitting isn't close to good enough to carry them. This should be one of those years that makes you realize you really have to reload before you can realistically consider yourself a contender. This is a $120 million team, and at least $50 million isn't playing up to their salaries (Drew, Ortiz, Matsuzaka, Smoltz, Penny, Varitek.) You could move Lowell too, and his $12.5 million salary. That's seven overpaid players on the team taking up half of the payroll. Even if it means the team is in cap hell next year, I think they need to cut the fat, bloated contracts off of the team and start over.

Nalej
08-10-2009, 08:17 AM
I agree that Halladay is as good as it gets- I just can't see us giving up THAT much for potentially only 1.5 yrs of service. I just dont like that.
I wouldn't mind if we only gave up ONE of those prospects. *shrug*

As far as a line-up overhaul- I can agree with dumping Drew and Lowell. Call me overly loyal but I think we should honor Ortiz's contract. Jason Bay needs to step up (he's been slumping and now is injured), Dice-K needs to stop playing in the damn WBC and he'll be fine, Wakefield needs to get healthy and Lowrie needs to stay healthy. He's injury prone as hell.

Overall, I'm fine with Beckett, Lester, Dick-K, Wakefield and Bucholz as our starting 5. We can still Penny out there as well. He's been mediocre at best this year. We do have a AAA pitcher with promise as well (Can't think of his name right now)
For this year- as long as we get healthy- I'm sure we'll do better. We're in one our worth slumps I've seen in years.
Next year though- I agree on getting a 1B with a big bat ala what we could of got if we would have signed Texiera. Maybe another 2nd tier starting pitcher for depth but that's all I can think of. Our team really isn't that bad. We're just injured and in a rough slump right now. We'll get out of it though- we're too good to stay this bad this year.

Matthew Jones
08-10-2009, 06:02 PM
I agree that Halladay is as good as it gets- I just can't see us giving up THAT much for potentially only 1.5 yrs of service. I just dont like that.
I wouldn't mind if we only gave up ONE of those prospects. *shrug*

At least in the 1.5 years we're looking at what, 20 wins at the least? Possibly more? I can't imagine Clay Buchholz being a top of the line starter. Right now he doesn't even belong in a major league rotation at all. Daniel Bard is just a relief pitcher. He's generally good, but he's not great. Look at what happened last game.

As far as a line-up overhaul- I can agree with dumping Drew and Lowell. Call me overly loyal but I think we should honor Ortiz's contract.

Think of it this way - is it worth paying a 33 year old guy with steroid allegations surrounding him that's batting .219 and who adds no fielding value whatsoever $13,000,000 a year? In my mind, that's a resounding HELL NO. This team would be better with Ortiz out of the lineup, no question in my mind.

Jason Bay needs to step up (he's been slumping and now is injured), Dice-K needs to stop playing in the damn WBC and he'll be fine, Wakefield needs to get healthy and Lowrie needs to stay healthy. He's injury prone as hell. Overall, I'm fine with Beckett, Lester, Dick-K, Wakefield and Bucholz as our starting 5.

Besides that, Dice-K tries to nibble the corners and gives up way too many home runs and walks. I'm not a fan of the wimpy way he pitches in general. He's a guy with the stuff to absolutely bring it a la Beckett, and he doesn't. He should rack up strikeouts with the types of pitches he has. You could (and I would) argue that the rotation you just named has only three good pitchers in it. And one of those three is 43 years old.

Our team really isn't that bad. We're just injured and in a rough slump right now. We'll get out of it though- we're too good to stay this bad this year.

I agree the team is easy one of the top five in the AL, and could make the playoffs (albeit as a wild card), but this squad doesn't look to have a shot in hell at winning the World Series. You don't spend $120 million a year to maybe make the playoffs. You want to win.

Nalej
08-10-2009, 07:46 PM
At least in the 1.5 years we're looking at what, 20 wins at the least? Possibly more? I can't imagine Clay Buchholz being a top of the line starter. Right now he doesn't even belong in a major league rotation at all. Daniel Bard is just a relief pitcher. He's generally good, but he's not great. Look at what happened last game.

It's too early to call it for Bard. He had a bad game against the Yankees but it was only one game. For the season he's 0-1 with a 2.97 era. Pitched 42 K's in 33.1 IP and only 14 walks. He has a lot of upside and I definitely want him to blossom with us.

Think of it this way - is it worth paying a 33 year old guy with steroid allegations surrounding him that's batting .219 and who adds no fielding value whatsoever $13,000,000 a year? In my mind, that's a resounding HELL NO. This team would be better with Ortiz out of the lineup, no question in my mind.

Of course not. What I'm saying is- the things he's done for ALREADY. All the clutch hits, the HRs- everything. He was under paid back then and now he's obviously overpaid... so it'll eventually even out. That's not good business sense- I understand that

Besides that, Dice-K tries to nibble the corners and gives up way too many home runs and walks. I'm not a fan of the wimpy way he pitches in general. He's a guy with the stuff to absolutely bring it a la Beckett, and he doesn't. He should rack up strikeouts with the types of pitches he has. You could (and I would) argue that the rotation you just named has only three good pitchers in it. And one of those three is 43 years old.

I agree with you on Dice-K. I think he has the ability to be a legit No.1 pitcher but his style is flawed. I think that's on management/catcher/pitching coach to change. He's shown promise. Wakefield is Wakefield. He'll pitch forever and give you double digit wins with an ERA around 4.

I agree the team is easy one of the top five in the AL, and could make the playoffs (albeit as a wild card), but this squad doesn't look to have a shot in hell at winning the World Series. You don't spend $120 million a year to maybe make the playoffs. You want to win.

Another SP, SS and a big bat 1B and we'll be set- NEXT YEAR. I don't know 'bout you guys- but I really hope V-Tek isn't a BoSox next year. Especially if we get that 1B so V-Mart can settle down as the BoSox's catcher of the future.

Nalej
08-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Red Sox aquired A. Gonzalez from the Reds. Defense?
Oh, and Bucholz has been pitching like we all hoped he'd pitch one day.
Is it V-Mart that's bringing it out of him? I don't really care as long as it's happening.

Nalej
12-13-2009, 06:58 AM
M. Lowell to Rangers for a C prospect.
Looks like we're eyeing A. Beltre to replace him at 3rd.
If not... we'll put Youk at 3rd and go after a stud 1st baseman.
J. Bay rejected our 4yr/60 Mill offer... saying he has beter offers
M. Halladay is still in the picture and maybe a trade for Gonzalez(padres) or Cabrera(Tigers)... ???

I love this time of year

Don Vito
12-13-2009, 11:46 AM
I love this time of year if we go out and get some talent, beause right now we certainly need it.

Nalej
12-14-2009, 08:47 PM
J. Lackey ... 5 yrs at 17-18 mill per year...

I like the addition but we overpaid for a 32 yr old guy thats injury prone

Don Vito
12-15-2009, 06:05 AM
Yeah we paid a lot for him but he's a great pitcher, if inuries don't kill us and Dice-K comes back we'll have unreal pitching. Now we just need some more offense.

Nalej
12-15-2009, 07:29 AM
On Mike and Mike in the morning... rumors about us packaging C. Bucholz for A. Gonzalez

I LOVE IT!!!!

Nalej
12-15-2009, 10:53 PM
We signed M. Cameron as well... he'll play CF and Ellsbury will play LF... holla!Now we just need to sign M. Halladay and... CHAMPIONSHIP!

ElectricEye
12-15-2009, 11:00 PM
I doubt Cameron plays CF, despite the fact he's a much better fielder from a statistical standpoint. I love that signing, actually. Cameron is worth just about as much as Jason Bay if you factor in his all around game. The fact we're adding a player like that to the lineup and we're probably still getting a big time bat is exciting. We're a Miguel Cabrera(or Hanley/A Gonzalez at the right price) trade away from me being a very, very happy Red Sox fan.

As far as Lackey goes, for the next three years I like this deal. The last two will probably be a problem, but Lackey has the body type that lends itself well into maintaining semblances of being an effective pitcher into his mid 30's.

Nalej
12-18-2009, 09:41 AM
I heard the BoSox were flirting with putting Pedroia at SS bc 2B are easier to find then SS's... he was an all american at SS before we flipped him to 2B so that could be interesting

ElectricEye
12-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Don't think Dustin has the arm for SS and we signed Scutaro. Scutaro is excellent defensively, so I think that pretty much kills that.

Nalej
12-18-2009, 12:25 PM
I have no clue who Scutaro is but I'll take your word for it

nepg
12-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Scutaro's solid, and will be a nice 7-9 guy in the order. It's a pretty underrated signing, actually. With Jed Lowrie, and the middle INF prospects they have coming up, they've got a lot of depth and options at SS & 2B.

I'm willing to give Lackey a chance, but I think he'll get lit the **** up in Boston. The signing does give them room to move some of their young pitching for an offensive players since they're done with Bay and don't want to deal with Boras for Holliday.

ElectricEye
12-19-2009, 10:23 AM
I have no clue who Scutaro is but I'll take your word for it

Blue Jays SS for the past few years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5217

Study up, he's the starting shortstop going into the year.

Nalej
12-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Yea, I know who he is. Brain fart.
I looked it up yesterday and slapped myself on the forehead.
Not bad-- I still like our young SS though. Too injury prone right now though

ElectricEye
12-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Lowrie is alright, but he won't ever do much with the glove that will wow you. Think he's more of a placeholder for our eventual, nonexistent SS of the future that can field well and isn't 33 years old. Possibly Iglesias in a few years.

ElectricEye
12-19-2009, 08:23 PM
****. Lowell isn't healthy enough to be traded.

Don Vito
04-04-2010, 08:59 PM
It's the bottom of the fifth and we have one hit...sick. OK Drew just got #2.

I got tickets for the Sox/Phillies game on friday night June 11, so pumped.