PDA

View Full Version : Abridged Post Super Bowl Mock

Paranoidmoonduck
02-06-2008, 01:21 AM
A lot of re-shuffling as occurred recently due to the various offseason bowls and I felt compelled to knock out another two rounder to reflect those changes. A lot of names have changed, but not nearly as many positions have, so I kept analysis to the first ten picks (the entirety of which is changed from my last mock). As always, if you're curious as to why a pick is a certain way, I'll answer any questions.

Enjoy.

Trades
New England send their 2008 1st round pick (7th overall) and 3rd picks (95th overall) to Atlanta for the Falcon’s 2008 1st round pick (5th overall)

Baltimore Ravens send their 2008 2nd round pick (39th overall) and their 2009 3rd round pick to San Diego for the Charger’s 2008 1st round pick (27th overall).

1ST ROUND

1. Miami Dolphins: Chris Long, Linebacker/Defensive End, Virginia
Dorsey has been the selection until this point, but with the Greg Williams to Miami rumor now defunct, I’m warming to the idea of Chris Long. Although it would seem to me that Long would function better at the pro level standing up rather than playing with his hand in the ground, he has a distinct knowledge of the 3-4 defense and could be a tremendously versatile cog in that defense. The Parcells to UVA connections don’t hurt either.

2. St. Louis Rams: Sedrick Ellis, Defensive Tackle, Southern California

Part of me thinks St. Louis won’t go for a defensive tackle in the 1st round for the second year in a row, but Ellis might be too good a value to pass up. He could either line up opposite Adam Carriker (who could also conceivably move outside) to comprise a top notch inside rush, or, should Jim Haslett decide that the 3-4 scheme would be a better route, he could play a disruptive nose tackle. Ellis has done nothing but help himself this offseason, and we should see that continue.

3. Oakland Raiders: Darren McFadden, Runningback, Arkansas
I don’t think that Oakland is going to view Jake Long as a great replacement for Barry Sims, so this essentially comes down to Glenn Dorsey and McFadden. I expect some injury concerns to haunt Dorsey on draft day, and although he looks like the perfect Raider defensive tackle, something tells me Al Davis would have a hard time passing on McFadden. The pivotal tell will be how contract negotiations with Justin Fargas go, but it figures that both Davis and Kiffin recognize the sort of impact McFadden could have in Oakland’s blocking scheme.

4. Kansas City Chiefs: Jake Long, Offensive Tackle, Michigan
With the bevy of defensive talent that could potentially be staring Kansas City in the face when their pick comes, I’m not sure this is as sure a slam dunk as some have been saying, but there’s little doubt that the Chiefs could use Jake Long. With no clear future at quarterback and a recent monster contract for runningback Larry Johnson, Kansas City is fully dedicated to a power running offense. Long is the perfect bulldozing offensive tackle who would help restock an offensive line that has been depleted by retirement.

5. New England Patriots (from Atlanta): Vernon Gholston, Linebacker, Defensive End, Ohio State
The conventional way to go has been to have New England trading down, but for a change let’s have them being proactive. Gholston is shaping into a very attractive 3-4 rush linebacker, and I don’t think that either Adalius Thomas or the oft-injured Roosevelt Colvin are definite answers at the position. Add to the fact that this move would keep a talent like Gholston away from the AFC East rival Jets and that Atlanta’s new front office has definite ties to New England, and I think this move makes a lot of sense.

6. New York Jets: Glenn Dorsey, Defensive End, Louisiana State
I find it a shame that I haven’t placed Dorsey in a nice 4-3 defense in any mock I’ve made in months, but I can’t see the Jets passing him up. While I thought that he could play nose tackle in Miami’s defense, I think he would likely see most of his time at defensive end in Mangini’s 3-4 scheme. Dorsey has the strength and intensity to be an excellent player at the pro level and he has a personality that would thrive in New York City.

7. Atlanta Falcons (from San Francisco via New England): Matt Ryan, Quarterback, Boston College
Atlanta makes a great move here by getting an extra third rounder and picking the player they probably would have picked anyhow. I could definitely see how Thomas Dimitroff would be tempted to pass up on a quarterback when value will likely be there in later rounds, but Ryan seems to be a good value here and could provide immediate relief for a team that could use it.

8. Baltimore Ravens: Ryan Clady, Offensive Tackle, Boise State
I think that Baltimore could use a quarterback, but with Matt Ryan gone, I can’t see them considering any other quarterback quite worth it. Jonathan Ogden’s career is winding down and whoever is going to eventually stand under center for that team is going to need a blindside pass protector. Clady is going this high mostly based on potential, but he could make a first year impact if asked to.

9. Cincinnati Bengals: Rashard Mendenhall, Runningback, Illinois
Although Keith Rivers would have to be tempting at this point, I do like the idea of Cincinnati trying to re-energize that offense with some talent. I have no idea how the Chad Johnson situation will shake out, but that running game could use a boost and I think Mendenhall establishes himself as the second best runningback in this draft.

10. New Orleans Saints: Keith Rivers, Linebacker, Southern California
The Saints have been less than stellar at linebacker for a while now, but it was as apparent as ever last season. The defense could probably use some help everywhere except defensive end, but if Rivers works out well he might be the best value. I really like Rivers and he would be a favorite to join in the ranks of linebackers who recently made big impacts in their rookie years.

11. Buffalo Bills: Leodis McKelvin, Cornerback, Troy
12. Denver Broncos: DeSean Jackson, Wide Receiver, California
13. Carolina Panthers: Chris Williams, Offensive Tackle, Vanderbilt
14. Chicago Bears: Malcolm Kelly, Wide Receiver, Oklahoma
15. Detroit Lions: Jeff Otah, Offensive Tackle, Pittsburgh
16. Arizona Cardinals: Dominique Rodger-Cromartie, Cornerback, Tennessee State
17. Minnesota Vikings: Kenny Phillips, Safety, Miami
18. Houston Texans: Jonathan Stewart, Runningback, Houston
19. Philadelphia Eagles: Derrick Harvey, Defensive End, Florida
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Kentwan Balmer, Defensive Tackle, North Carolina
21. Washington Redskins: Mike Jenkins, Cornerback, South Florida
22. Dallas Cowboys (from Cleveland Browns): Felix Jones, Runningback, Arkansas
23. Pittsburgh Steelers: Ghosder Cherilus, Right Tackle, Boston College
24. Tennessee Titans: Devin Thomas, Wide Receiver, Michigan State
25. Seattle Seahawks: John Carlson, Tight End, Notre Dame
26. Jacksonville Jaguars: Phillip Merling, Defensive End, Clemson
27. Baltimore Ravens (from San Diego): Brian Brohm, Quarterback, Louisville
28. Dallas Cowboys: Aqib Talib, Cornerback, Kansas
29. San Francisco 49ers (from Indianapolis Colts): Pat Sims, Defensive End, Auburn
30. Green Bay Packers: Reggie Smith, Defensive Back, Oklahoma
31. New England Patriots (forfeit due to league violations)
32. New York Giants: Dan Connor, Linebacker, Penn State

2ND ROUND

33. Miami Dolphins: Branden Albert, Offensive Lineman, Virginia
34. St. Louis Rams: DaJuan Morgan, Safety, North Carolina State
35. Kansas City Chiefs: Patrick Lee, Cornerback, Auburn
36. Atlanta Falcons: Sam Baker, Offensive Tackle, Southern California
37. New York Jets: Quentin Groves, Linebacker/Defensive End, Auburn
38. Oakland Raiders: Calais Campbell, Defensive End, Miami
39. San Diego Chargers (from Baltimore): Carl Nicks, Offensive Tackle, Nebraska
40. San Francisco 49ers: Early Doucet, Wide Receiver, Louisiana State
41. New Orleans Saints: Tracy Porter, Cornerback, Indiana
42. Buffalo Bills: Limas Sweed, Wide Receiver, Texas
43. Denver Broncos: Phillip Wheeler, Linebacker, Georgia Tech
44. Carolina Panthers: Thomas DeCoud, Safety, California
45. Chicago Bears: Joe Flacco, Quarterback, Delaware
46. Detroit Lions: Chris Ellis, Defensive End, Virginia Tech
47. Cincinnati Bengals: Ali Highsmith, Linebacker, Louisiana State
48. Minnesota Vikings: Mario Manningham, Wide Receiver, Michigan
49. Atlanta Falcons (from Houston Texans): Oniel Cousins, Offensive Tackle, Texas-El Paso
50. Philadelphia Eagles: James Hardy, Wide Receiver, Indiana
51. Arizona Cardinals: Chris Johnson, Runningback, East Carolina
52. Washington Redskins: Lawrence Jackson, Defensive End, Southern California
53. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Donnie Avery, Wide Reciever, Houston
54. Pittsburgh Steelers: Charles Godfrey, Defensive Back, Iowa
55. Tennessee Titans: Martellus Bennett, Tight End, Texas A&M
56. Seattle Seahawks: Ray Rice, Runningback, Rutgers
57. Cleveland Browns: Curtis Lofton, Linebacker, Oklahoma
58. Miami Dolphins (from San Diego Chargers): Andre Woodson, Quarterback, Kentucky
59. Jacksonville Jaguars: Andre Caldwell, Wide Receiver, Florida
60. Indianapolis Colts: Xavier Adibi, Linebacker, Virginia Tech
61. Green Bay Packers: Martin Rucker, Tight End, Missouri
62. Dallas Cowboys: Lavelle Hawkins, Wide Receiver, California
63. New England Patriots: Jerod Mayo, Linebacker, Tennessee
64. New York Giants: Craig Steltz, Safety, Louisiana State

d34ng3l021
02-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Matt Ryan and Chad Henne? This is the 2nd mock today that I have seen a guy give us 2 QBs in the first 2 rounds. 3rd mock in the past like week. Its just a typo right?

1. Matt Ryan. Good pick. I like him at 7, though Clady would be a nice pick.

2. I like Nicks more than Baker right now. Baker is a solid pick, but Nicks seems like a guy who could dominate.

3. Chad Henne. Not a bad pick had we not picked Ryan. Had we picked Ryan, I would like a bigger RB or maybe Mayo or Lofton at that spot.

I really like how the pictures are all the same sizes.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Matt Ryan and Chad Henne? This is the 2nd mock today that I have seen a guy give us 2 QBs in the first 2 rounds. 3rd mock in the past like week. Its just a typo right?

Yes, sorry. The typo has been fixed and a few second round picks changed.

d34ng3l021
02-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Another OT. Hm. I guess thats fine, seeing as how versatile Baker can be in the future and how much OL we need.

Vikes99ej
02-06-2008, 01:35 AM
Beautiful mock draft for the Vikings. Surprised to see Phillips fall that far.

fenikz
02-06-2008, 01:46 AM
I would be happy if those were the Cardinals picks

Addict
02-06-2008, 06:12 AM
this would please me, even though two back-to-back defensive Players would please me more for the lions.

OH and our OC has said he feels a new starter at RB is the biggest priority on Offense, just saying.

02-06-2008, 06:39 AM
whoa, one of the better Raiders draft scenarios!

Thunder&Lightning
02-06-2008, 07:27 AM
Nice chargers trade...getting nicks and a 3rd rounder is a steal!

ABWA757
02-06-2008, 08:02 AM
good bills draft with orginal 1st pick

Bills2083
02-06-2008, 08:33 AM
good bills draft with orginal 1st pick

What was the original 1st round pick?

Gay Ork Wang
02-06-2008, 08:53 AM
No way the Bears would go WR in the first sry.
Give us Otah and Flacco maybe 3rd...give us Woodson

AkiliSmith
02-06-2008, 08:58 AM
I will quit watching football if the Bengals don't draft a defensive lineman with one of the first two picks. Mendenhall is ok with the first pick, far from the biggest need but an elite back is always good. Lawrence Jackson or Dre Moore are much better picks in round 2 and each would fill a HUGE hole.

Diehard
02-06-2008, 10:33 AM
12. Denver Broncos: DeSean Jackson, Wide Receiver, California
43. Denver Broncos: Phillip Wheeler, Linebacker, Georgia Tech

Jackson over Phillips and Williams? Interesting. Shanahan's certainly been burnt enough by opposing KR/PR to be fully aware of their potential impact on a game.

The main concern here would be that taking an offensive weapon is a bit of a luxury pick when you consider the obvious deficiencies along both lines and at S.

Wheeler is a solid choice in the second round.

T-RICH49
02-06-2008, 11:54 AM
I would be happy with that Chiefs mock

TaylorMade
02-06-2008, 12:05 PM
awesome skins draft imo

Paranoidmoonduck
02-06-2008, 12:10 PM
this would please me, even though two back-to-back defensive Players would please me more for the lions.

OH and our OC has said he feels a new starter at RB is the biggest priority on Offense, just saying.

I had Ray Rice going to Detroit in my last mock, but I know it made some people angry, and you figure that the runningback depth is great enough that they could find a solid competitor as late as the 4th round.

No way the Bears would go WR in the first sry.
Give us Otah and Flacco maybe 3rd...give us Woodson

Is this your stance if Benard Berrian signs elsewhere? It seems to me that Chicago is one of those teams looking for a quick fix, and Kelly fits the bill.

I will quit watching football if the Bengals don't draft a defensive lineman with one of the first two picks. Mendenhall is ok with the first pick, far from the biggest need but an elite back is always good. Lawrence Jackson or Dre Moore are much better picks in round 2 and each would fill a HUGE hole.

I wanted to find them d-line talent, but I like Mendenhall in the first and Highsmith seemed like a very good value where they got him. If Justin Smith leaves then I won't have any choice but to give them a defensive lineman on the first day.

Jackson over Phillips and Williams? Interesting. Shanahan's certainly been burnt enough by opposing KR/PR to be fully aware of their potential impact on a game.

The main concern here would be that taking an offensive weapon is a bit of a luxury pick when you consider the obvious deficiencies along both lines and at S.

Wheeler is a solid choice in the second round.

That was pretty much my reasoning. Whether Javon Walker will be a willing participant in Denver's 2008 season or not is a huge factor, but if not it would seem like finding a counterbalance to Brandon Marshall would be high on the list (assuming that Denver's staff values Stokley as a slot option). No team in the NFL save Chicago should better realize the difference that great returners make, and I think Jacksons value could end up being perfect for that selection.

I stayed away from safety because I think Phillips' stock is dropping in the late teens and Chris Williams only went that high here because I could imagine Carolina reaching on a future left tackle. Denver I'm not too sure about.

GDWTheSickness
02-06-2008, 12:36 PM
i really like your mock and your explanations on the top 10. I love hawkins, but Reggie Smith might be the best option at 28, but at least you covered our biggest needs. I'd give it an A- overall

gsorace
02-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Glenn Dorsey to the Jets makes no sense at all and I would bet everything I own that they don't take him unless they suddenly announce they are switching to the 4-3 defense.

thebow305
02-06-2008, 01:42 PM
ok phins draft.... I think I might shank MYSELF if we pass on Calais Campbell in the 2nd for BRANDON ALBERT!

Is that serious?

I guess I won't have to worry about it though because Calais won't make it out of the first.

Don Killuminati
02-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Not really loving Campbell as a RE.

McFadden is a likely pick. But if we don't find 3 new DTs, it won't matter what we do this offseason.

Rich Jr
02-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Saints.

Love the 1st round pick.

2nd Curtis Lofton please.

Gay Ork Wang
02-06-2008, 02:16 PM
its just there will be okay WRs in the draft later on, we can franchise berrian, and well we have far bigger holes than WR

defensiveback23
02-06-2008, 03:06 PM
I don't like that trade because the Chargers aren't getting enough value. If they got fair value, which would mean this year's 3rd, then I could see it. Passing on Reggie Smith for an 09' 3rd makes no sense to me.

toddmlazarchick
02-06-2008, 04:20 PM
i have to agree, great Redskins mock :D

Jay
02-06-2008, 05:57 PM
That's certainly creative, but I think the Pats would stand pat and keep the third and assume the Falcons would take Ryan at 5 and just take whoever is left out of Gholston or Dorsey. I am assuming you have Atlanta scaring the Pats into thinking they will take one of the two instead of Ryan... I certainly like this scenario much more than taking a corner at 7...

Paranoidmoonduck
02-06-2008, 06:02 PM
I don't like that trade because the Chargers aren't getting enough value. If they got fair value, which would mean this year's 3rd, then I could see it. Passing on Reggie Smith for an 09' 3rd makes no sense to me.

Keep in mind that Baltimore doesn't have a 2008 3rd round pick. I like San Diego trading down because it would seem prudent to spend more money on the offensive line and keep that offense clicking than to put yet another player into a secondary which shaped up down the stretch, and the values shake out better with the trade.

BaLLiN
02-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Horrible Giants draft

Paranoidmoonduck
02-06-2008, 06:04 PM
That's certainly creative, but I think the Pats would stand pat and keep the third and assume the Falcons would take Ryan at 5 and just take whoever is left out of Gholston or Dorsey. I am assuming you have Atlanta scaring the Pats into thinking they will take one of the two instead of Ryan... I certainly like this scenario much more than taking a corner at 7...

I don't think the Falcons will have to do much scaring. The Pats are giving up the latter of their two 3rd round picks to keep a potentially dangerous pass rusher off the Jets roster, and the Falcons do the trade cheap because all it does is save them money.

The only loser here is the New York Jets, and that should be very attractive to New England.

LonghornsLegend
02-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Great job, love felix, hawkins, and Talib, id love to have DRC over talib, but i like how the draft went so far

Jay
02-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I don't think the Falcons will have to do much scaring. The Pats are giving up the latter of their two 3rd round picks to keep a potentially dangerous pass rusher off the Jets roster, and the Falcons do the trade cheap because all it does is save them money.

The only loser here is the New York Jets, and that should be very attractive to New England.

That may be true, but at the same time, I think the Pats would be just as content to get Dorsey. I agree the preference would be Gholston though.

Caddy
02-07-2008, 04:42 AM
To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Balmer in the 1st or Avery in the 2nd. I like Avery as a player, I just don't know if he is the best choice for Tampa in the 2nd round.

portermvp84
02-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I hate to say it but if Glenn Dorsey were there we'd have to take him, I really like DMAC but I'd have to take GD. I love Campbell in the second.

BananaSlug
02-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Love the OJ Mayo pick to New England...

He's gonna be the next LeBron James... I think they'll use him as a WR... especially after seeing Plaxico do a number on Ellis Hobbs...

Paranoidmoonduck
02-07-2008, 05:08 PM
To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Balmer in the 1st or Avery in the 2nd. I like Avery as a player, I just don't know if he is the best choice for Tampa in the 2nd round.

Did you have any problem with the old DeSean Jackson to Tampa picks? Avery has a different build, but the skill sets are similar enough.

I hate to say it but if Glenn Dorsey were there we'd have to take him, I really like DMAC but I'd have to take GD. I love Campbell in the second.I'm inclined to agree, but if Fargas hits the free market and McFadden runs something like a 4.35, who knows how it falls. I would pick Dorsey, personally.

defensiveback23
02-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Keep in mind that Baltimore doesn't have a 2008 3rd round pick. I like San Diego trading down because it would seem prudent to spend more money on the offensive line and keep that offense clicking than to put yet another player into a secondary which shaped up down the stretch, and the values shake out better with the trade.

The value, according to the trade value chart, is against the Chargers by about 100 points since a 3rd round pick for the next draft has essentially the same value as a current 4th. AJ Smith is not the type of GM that will take a trade so lopsided against his favor. The Chargers are also in excellent cap condition so I doubt money will have any bearing towards who and where they select.

I agree with you that Nicks is a great fit for what the Chargers need at RT, but the secondary is still a bigger issue. Jeromy Clary played pretty well at RT so drafting a replacement is something of a luxury selection. Clary is not a bad player, but the reason RT can be viewed as a possible target in the first round is because he is basically the worst starter on team full of talent.

The secondary is not a finished product yet. Losing Drayton Florence leaves a decent sized hole at nickel. None of the backup DBs, other than Weddle who will start next season, have shown the capability of handling the role. Also, Clinton Hart is on the wrong side of 30 and will need to be replaced in the near future. Reggie Smith is a perfect fit for this team because he can play nickel until we need him to become a starter at safety. There is also virtually no depth at S because McCree is pretty much a lock to be released. There is just more overall value for the Chargers if the stay at 27 and select Smith.

TacticaLion
02-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Marinelli drafts a character concern in the second round? Nope... not the way he picks his players.

iloxygenil
02-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Give Atlanta Nicks at the top of round 2 instead of Baker...we're moving towards power blocking not finesse. I hate the Matt Ryan pick...but if the board looked like that when we got there I wouldn't mind the move. It would suck to get screwed like that in the draft...

Matthew Jones
02-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Nice Patriots mock. Would rather trade down for Rivers than up for Gholston, but hey.

Jughead10
02-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Do not like the Giants' picks at all. The goal is to get faster in the back 7 on defense.

skinzzfan25
02-08-2008, 11:25 AM
I like the Skins draft.