PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallet to play in 2008?

LonghornsLegend
02-06-2008, 08:42 AM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/02/06/0206sptdigest.html

Arkansas will ask the NCAA to allow transfer quarterback Ryan Mallett to play immediately for the Razorbacks without sitting out a year. Mallett transferred from Michigan after Rich Rodriguez replaced retiring coach Lloyd Carr. Mallett went to high school on the Texas side of Texarkana, but lived on the Arkansas side.

Be pretty interesting if he didnt have to sit out a season

02-06-2008, 09:09 AM
I am sure the NCAA will deny the waiver. There really isn’t an extenuating circumstance here and a new coach’s offense isn’t a real excuse for him to gain eligibility in ’08. If they let this slide it will send the wrong message to the rest of the collegiate athletes.

P-L
02-06-2008, 12:35 PM
This is going to get denied. Coaches leave for other jobs and retire every single year. Ryan Mallett isn't special. I don't see why he should get an exemption when no one else does.

VoteLynnSwan
02-06-2008, 12:38 PM
i think this will cause a law suit... they could use the same argument Mike Williams and Maurice Clarett used when they wanted to enter the draft, something along the lines of "it is affecting their ability to make a living etc..."

they'd likely argue that the year on the bench for Mallett would be affecting his pro potential or some garbage like that...

iowatreat54
02-06-2008, 01:19 PM
whatever he can just redshirt...but I understand he wants to play right away

TouchdownUSC
02-07-2008, 12:31 PM
no chance of happening.

Forenci
02-07-2008, 12:56 PM
It'd be pretty sick for Arkansas, but again, I don't see it happening.

Here's a good question, how often has this happened in the past? I can't think of any cases where this has occurred recently. Doesn't mean it hasn't, but I can't recall of any off hand.

etk
02-07-2008, 01:15 PM
How is the NCAA even allowing this complaint. What makes Petrino so special that his transfers dont have to sit out.

LonghornsLegend
02-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Petrino is excited about Mallett getting under center already

Thunder&Lightning
02-07-2008, 01:45 PM
0% chance i would love to see it happen though...

JPLUFF
02-07-2008, 02:30 PM
http://everythreeweekly.com/category/show_story/1147

GDWTheSickness
02-07-2008, 08:47 PM
that'd be interesting, i'll say 3 % chance of happening

Brent
02-07-2008, 09:09 PM
good luck to Mallett, sucks he has to deal with transfering

ironman4579
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
good luck to Mallett, sucks he has to deal with transfering

Yet it really doesn't suck, because he didn't "have" to deal with transferring. He could have stayed at Michigan. Just because RR ran a spread option at WVU doesn't mean he would have at Michigan. In fact, in his press conference he said he would not be running a spread option(this was of course when Mallett was at Michigan. I have little doubt he'll run the spread option now)

Brent
02-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Yet it really doesn't suck, because he didn't "have" to deal with transferring. He could have stayed at Michigan. Just because RR ran a spread option at WVU doesn't mean he would have at Michigan. In fact, in his press conference he said he would not be running a spread option(this was of course when Mallett was at Michigan. I have little doubt he'll run the spread option now)
He went to UM thinking that he was going to play for Carr, not RR.

ironman4579
02-07-2008, 09:34 PM
He went to UM thinking that he was going to play for Carr, not RR.

I agree, and he also went thinking he was playing in a pro style system, for a coaching staff that has sent quite a few QB's to the NFL. That doesn't change the fact that he didn't "have" to transfer. Everyone makes their own decisions in life. Nobody "has" to do anything. I understand his reasons for tranferring. That doesn't mean I feel bad for him or that it sucks for him that he transferred.

wogitalia
02-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Would set some sort of precedent if they did allow it.

I mean if a new head coach is a reason to transfer without sitting out, does a new coordinator also count? Where do you draw the line.

Personally I'd be shocked if he is allowed to transfer and not sit out, would be a massive story.

NMUBurner22
02-08-2008, 02:46 AM
Mallet shouldve stayed at Michigan.....

Him in the spread wouldve been lights out.....RichRod said he would base his offense around Mallet....at UM he wouldve had::

Brandon Minor
Kevin Grady
Carlos Brown
Sam McGuffie
Darryl Stonum
Greg Matthews
Carson Butler
Good O-Line

edgrenade
03-04-2008, 05:07 AM
0% chance i would love to see it happen though...

I feel the same. He looked real good this past year filling in, but he won't get to play this year.

Mr. Stiller
03-04-2008, 05:16 AM
What were the circumstances around Tashard choice not having to sit out after Transferring?

Race for the Heisman
03-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Wiki says his mom fell ill and he transferred to be closer to home. The NCAA decided that needing to be closer to home fit bill for extenuating circumstances and gave him a waiver.

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040105aap.html

Here's another site talking about Mallet's situation:

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/SharpTusk/139222

bigmac076
03-04-2008, 09:03 AM
good for him, I wish him the best.

HoopsDemon12
03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
This is good, i wish him the best and really look forward to watching him play

DChess
03-05-2008, 12:44 AM
i wrote my first paper of the year for english 102 on mallett and transferring. given it was a editorial analysis of some guys article on the situation and me talking more about the article more than the situation

LonghornsLegend
03-05-2008, 12:55 AM
I think its pretty ignorant that they wont or wouldnt grant hurricane katrina victims transfer request to be eligible to play the next year, how much bigger of an "extenuating circumstance" can you get then that? But Mallet should play because they changed the offense, at least the NCAA has their priorities in order.

Shane P. Hallam
03-05-2008, 08:52 AM
If his mother was sick, it's a legit reason, honestly.

P-L
03-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Extenuating circumstances my ass. He was talking about transferring since last spring. He was looking for a way out for almost a year and now that he found a couple of excuses, he took them and ran. Ryan is a phenomenal talent and I wish him luck, but he needs to keep his HUGE ego in check. We'll definitely miss his talent as we try and fill the QB position, but I'm sure Michigan isn't going to miss him being a ****** teammate.

Seanhawk
03-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Petrino is excited about Mallett getting under center already

No doubt, this will be the only year Petrino would be able to use Mallett since he'll be moving on to another job after '08.

J-Hype
03-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Is it possible that mallet coud play arena ball or something for year so he doesnt get rusty or would that be illegal

LonghornsLegend
03-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Is it possible that mallet coud play arena ball or something for year so he doesnt get rusty or would that be illegal

Very illegal, you lose all your eligibility if you even try out for an arena team, you have to sign a waiver and once you do that you forfeit it.

Cashmoney
03-07-2008, 01:38 AM
This situation reminds me of how Tyler Smith got to play immediately for the vols in college bball this season. I hope his mom gets better though.

someone447
03-07-2008, 02:34 AM
The NCAA needs to change their transfer rules. If a coach leaves, players should be able to transfer without sitting out.