PDA

View Full Version : Pete Carroll: The greatest recruiter in the history of CFB

Jericho@SC
02-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Years Past:

Joe McKnight. Dwayne Jarrett. Brian Cushing. Taylor Mays. Keith Rivers. Jeff Byers. Kyle Moore. Mike Williams. John David Booty. Vidal Hazelton. Patrick Turner.

This Year:

TJ Bryant. Nick Perry. Daniel Campbell. and possibly Jerrell Harris.

In terms of locking up local talent and pulling studs from out of state, there has been no one better. Bar none.

VoteLynnSwan
02-06-2008, 01:14 PM
i don't think he's the best recruiter simply because USC sells itself.

iowatreat54
02-06-2008, 01:22 PM
yea he is a good recruiter and USC does pretty much sell it self...I'd be willing to put Zooker up there in the argument though...I mean, do you think Pete Carroll could pull in a top 20 recruiting class after going like 3 wins in 2 years, in a place not as desireable as florida, california, etc.?

Giantsfan1080
02-06-2008, 01:22 PM

It wasn't in the years before Carrol got there.

Rich Jr
02-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Joe McKnightMight have to subtract one..lol

Jericho@SC
02-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Please. USC did not "sell itself" to OOS recruits in the 90s.

Part of the reason 'SC has been so competitive recently is because they recruit nationally, not locally.

Pete is a master salesman. There is no one more charming to recruit's families, no one whose personality is more attractive to recruits. And he does it all with class and ethics.

They did a poll of Senior Bowl participants in January. Pete Carroll was voted as the coach that players most wanted to play for other than their own (the 8 USC Seniors couldn't vote for Carroll).

What's great about Pete is that he's still learning and getting better. Joe McKnight and TJ Bryant just go to show you that if your prized recruit from in-state is quiet, you better be afraid that he's a silent commit to USC.

Pete Carroll & USC: Stealing a recruit in a city near you!

VoteLynnSwan
02-06-2008, 01:32 PM
It wasn't in the years before Carrol got there.

Pete Carroll is a great coach and a great recruiter... I'm not trying to take anything away from him, but at this point, all he has to do is say USC wants you kid.

LonghornsLegend
02-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Pete Carroll is a great coach and a great recruiter... I'm not trying to take anything away from him, but at this point, all he has to do is say USC wants you kid.

very true, kids are wanting to go to USC as of recently before Carroll even steps foot in the door, its THE place to go right now...

Although some things hurt USC, like too much depth certain positions, they cant lock down huge prospects every year at each position, for instance darrell scott would of looked at usc first but guys who want to play right off the bat dont opt to go the USC route

brat316
02-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Al Golden

Yeah if Pete Carroll can go somewhere else and do the same he is the greatest. If he goes to like PA and pulls in a top class with Temple then that would be amazing.

slightlyaraiderfan
02-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Might have to subtract one..lol
People are actually believing this?

And yes, Pete is a BAMF....just wait till next year, he'll bring in the best SC class ever and will once agian with the recruiting title.

Rich Jr
02-06-2008, 02:27 PM

And yes, Pete is a BAMF....just wait till next year, he'll bring in the best SC class ever and will once agian with the recruiting title.No but it's funny as hell when you think about it.

JT Jag
02-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Nick Saban says "Hello, I just won the recruiting title working for a team that's gone 6-6 for two straight years".

soybean
02-06-2008, 03:28 PM

And yes, Pete is a BAMF....just wait till next year, he'll bring in the best SC class ever and will once agian with the recruiting title.

cierre woods matt barkley and the list goes on...

Sniper
02-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Nick Saban says "Hello, I just won the recruiting title working for a team that's gone 6-6 for two straight years".

Hi Nick. Let me know when you do something with those recruits. SC sucked before Carroll got there, now look at them.

VoteLynnSwan
02-15-2008, 11:19 AM
the thread isn't about coaching, it's about recruiting...

BBIB
02-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Urban Meyer nearly had 3 #1/#2 recruiting classes in a row.

Brent
02-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Carroll's '09 class is already looking like the #1..

Its Ya Boy
02-18-2008, 06:40 PM
dont forget since USC is a private school there academic standards for athletes is incredibly low, i believe

what zook is doin at Ilin is great recruiting, but over the years the styles have changed.

Brent
02-20-2008, 11:26 AM
dont forget since USC is a private school there academic standards for athletes is incredibly low, i believe
They actually have pretty high standards for athletes. However, that doesn't mean that the high schools kids are coming from don't let them have a pass on grades.

soybean
02-20-2008, 12:18 PM

yeah i would put meyer up there, though I question his recruiting tactics...

Jericho@SC
02-20-2008, 12:51 PM

So. Carroll went #3/#1/#1/#1/#2 on Rivals from 2003 to 2007.

504 to ATL
02-20-2008, 07:10 PM
yeah i would put meyer up there, though I question his recruiting tactics...

And you think Peety is squeaky clean?

Face it, teams who pull in the best recruiting classes have some shady business going on with at least one recruit.

BamaFalcon59
02-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Pete is a master salesman. There is no one more charming to recruit's families, no one whose personality is more attractive to recruits. And he does it all with class and ethics.

Families love Nick Saban, as do recruits. But Saban is definitely a 'charmer' for the familes. I would say he (Saban) is the best recruiter out there, considering right now how hot USC is it really is not tought to get people to go there.

duckseason
02-20-2008, 07:32 PM

While Saban definitely pulled in a great class this year, it was the quantity rather than quality that put Alabama atop the rankings. If Carroll, Tressel, Meyer, Weis or Stoops had room for 32 names, I'm sure they could have pulled that many in. And really, the question of who ended up with the best class won't be determined for a few years.

duckseason
02-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Families love Nick Saban, as do recruits. But Saban is definitely a 'charmer' for the familes. I would say he (Saban) is the best recruiter out there, considering right now how hot USC is it really is not tought to get people to go there.

So really, you're saying that Carroll's current rep should be penalized due to his past successes.

I'm not picking sides here, because I don't really think there's a solid basis for comparison. If Saban were coaching UCLA or Carroll were coaching Auburn, it would be much easier.

Zyro_1014
02-20-2008, 07:56 PM

well its tough when USC is stacked at every position on the depth chart but he can still bring in top recruits. pretty impressive if you ask me.

aheineken
02-27-2008, 09:34 PM

I completely agree.

Pete Carroll: "So son, do you want to come play football for a perennial national championship contender that sends about a dozen kids to the NFL each year, located in a city with perfect weather, and on a campus where more than half of the female students are aspiring actresses/models?"

Recruit A: "Sure, why not?"

Sniper
02-28-2008, 07:54 AM

Yeah but he built that reputation. Carroll got hired for a reason. The previous coach sucked and couldn't draw recruits. Carroll has built an empire, one that doesn't seem to be dying any time soon.

JT Jag
07-24-2008, 08:33 PM
And if we're talking about the greatest recruiter in CFB HISTORY, Bear Bryant takes the award walking away.

scottyboy
07-24-2008, 08:55 PM
southern california. that's it really. bunch of hot girls walking around in bikinis and you're an 18/19 year old kid. it's ******* the beach. SoCal. Pete's done great, but come on...

Bear was the greatest ever, I agree there, but right now, go ahead, hate me for it, Schiano is a top 10 recruiter.

I mean come on, kids never even HEARD of Rutgers, a team that would win one game over 'cuse, and that would take an OT field goal. Kids from Miami follwed him, and now the NY and south jersey kids are going to RU instead of PSU

Geomar
09-08-2008, 02:45 PM
I think Randy Shannon is a great recruiter. Im a Miami Fan of course, but did any of you see the class we pulled last year? It just jumps out at you completely. Talent all across the board.

But I must say Carroll has done a great job at USC with recruiting.

tEk
09-17-2008, 12:00 AM
well its tough when USC is stacked at every position on the depth chart but he can still bring in top recruits. pretty impressive if you ask me.if you can play out a senior as a true freshman... Pete will start you.

Sniper
09-17-2008, 12:28 AM
southern california. that's it really. bunch of hot girls walking around in bikinis and you're an 18/19 year old kid. it's ******* the beach. SoCal. Pete's done great, but come on...

The school is in the middle of the ghetto. And if it's so easy to do, how come Pete Carroll has a job at USC? Someone obviously couldn't recruit.

Sniper
09-17-2008, 12:29 AM
if you can play out a senior as a true freshman... Pete will start you.

Carroll's program is all about competition. Competition weeds out the weak, and I love what Carroll has done at SC. USC's players know they have to bust it in practice and games because if they don't get the job done, there's another HS All-Everything waiting in the wings.

Bruce Banner
09-17-2008, 12:42 AM
Carroll's pitch.
1. Pulls out a picture of the beach.
2. Pulls out a picture of multiple celebrities on the sidelines.
3. Pulls out a picture of Leinart on the beach throwing a football around with multiple celebrities.
4. Says, "This could be you"
This was not intended to be humorous. I have inside sources that tell me these things.

^^, This guy knows what's up.

but speaking truthfully....it's not Carroll's fault that he has the best weather, women, and dare I say history, to pitch.
Does that make him the best recruiter ever? We will never know unless he goes somewhere else and pulls the same talent, which I doubt he will do on both accounts.

It does raise an interesting question. What makes a good recruiter? A guy that pulls more talent than the program should pull?

kalbears13
09-17-2008, 12:45 AM
The school is in the middle of the ghetto. And if it's so easy to do, how come Pete Carroll has a job at USC? Someone obviously couldn't recruit.

Although the school is in the middle of the ghetto, the campus is really nice.

(Should be an easy transition for Matt Barkley)

awfullyquiet
09-17-2008, 12:56 AM
also note: university of spoiled children.

lets face it... most sports types have less than questionable morals. if vegas had a school that was as legit as USC is, it'd have no problem drawing everyone.

Why do you think miami gets recruits year after year after year that are great?

yourfavestoner
09-17-2008, 02:42 AM
^^, This guy knows what's up.

but speaking truthfully....it's not Carroll's fault that he has the best weather, women, and dare I say history, to pitch.
Does that make him the best recruiter ever? We will never know unless he goes somewhere else and pulls the same talent, which I doubt he will do on both accounts.

It does raise an interesting question. What makes a good recruiter? A guy that pulls more talent than the program should pull?

Bingo. USC and Miami are the two schools that have the biggest advantage in selling themselves almost singlehandedly because of location. Sniper, neither of them are in the best areas, but come on dude. Who wouldn't want to live in either Southern California or the Miami area for four years for free.

SDSU is another school that could kill in the recruiting game if the school ever dedicated the resources to having a good football program.

Sniper
09-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Bingo. USC and Miami are the two schools that have the biggest advantage in selling themselves almost singlehandedly because of location. Sniper, neither of them are in the best areas, but come on dude. Who wouldn't want to live in either Southern California or the Miami area for four years for free.

SDSU is another school that could kill in the recruiting game if the school ever dedicated the resources to having a good football program.

I'm not saying the pitch isn't there, but like I said, Paul Hackett obviously couldn't recruit at USC.

cdub11
09-17-2008, 09:12 AM
cierre woods matt barkley and the list goes on...

Didnt Cierre Wood commit to Notre Dame?

kalbears13
09-17-2008, 12:48 PM

You could also throw in UCLA which IMO is better than USC in every way.

SDSU isn't as nice as either school and isn't a BCS team so that might hurt them.

DeathbyStat
09-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Al Golden

Yeah if Pete Carroll can go somewhere else and do the same he is the greatest. If he goes to like PA and pulls in a top class with Temple then that would be amazing.

Your right and if Tom Bradly doesn't get the job at penn state Al Golden might get the job

Speaking of bad places...i wasn't all that impressed with notre dame when visited there but Weiss seems to be doin well.

djp
09-17-2008, 08:14 PM

Bear was the greatest ever, I agree there, but right now, go ahead, hate me for it, Schiano is a top 10 recruiter.

I mean come on, kids never even HEARD of Rutgers, a team that would win one game over 'cuse, and that would take an OT field goal. Kids from Miami follwed him, and now the NY and south jersey kids are going to RU instead of PSU

Rutgers got their Miami "pipeline" by taking Plan C or D kids that UM/UF/FSU didn't want.

They have never EVER stolen a recruit away from the Dade area that Miami wanted, and I highly doubt they ever will.

I give Schiano credit somewhat, but please don't point to the Miami "pipeline" as an example of his great recruiting.

Teams are recruiting in FL now more than ever because they know the Plan B/C kids that the Big 3 don't want are probably better, or at least faster, than the kids they are recruiting now.

P-L
09-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Teams are recruiting in FL now more than ever because they know the Plan B/C kids that the Big 3 don't want are probably better, or at least faster, than the kids they are recruiting now.
This is true. I've heard more than a couple people say something like this, "A 3* in FL, TX, or CA is as good as a 4* anywhere else and a 4* in FL, TX, or CA is as good as a 5* anywhere else."

I'm glad Rich Rod has started taking the "B/C" kids out of Florida. I think it'll pay off eventually. We already look poised to take two of the better prospects out of Florida in 2010.

djp
09-17-2008, 10:16 PM
This is true. I've heard more than a couple people say something like this, "A 3* in FL, TX, or CA is as good as a 4* anywhere else and a 4* in FL, TX, or CA is as good as a 5* anywhere else."

I'm glad Rich Rod has started taking the "B/C" kids out of Florida. I think it'll pay off eventually. We already look poised to take two of the better prospects out of Florida in 2010.

That's why the recruiting services are so out of whack. They don't factor enough the quality of competition that these kids play when they rank them.

It's the reason you see so many FL, TX, CA, OH kids move up so quickly when the high school all star games start. That's when the true evaluating is done.

It's simple logic. Top kids who play other top kids develop better than people who just beat up on terrible 5'5 high school kids all day.

The other side of this is, you have to take into account the level of competition within the state. These are where the biggest recruiting "misses" take place. Also, a kid dominating horrible competition doesn't always mean he's a bad player either. It's the toughest thing to judge in recruiting.

A prime example of this is former FSU QB Xavier Lee. He played in arguably the worst talent pool in Florida, broke all these records, and was anointed the next great quarterback when in reality, all he was doing was just bullying kids with his size and big arm. He had no understanding of the game, and when he played top competition (which started at the AAA game), he struggled mightily.

A 3* kid from Dade County is more likely to succeed than a 4* kid from Iowa or Minnesota. It's just basic.

The fact that Randy Shannon is clamping down Dade/Broward County despite really no real success at Miami is going to turn the Canes into a national powerhouse once again if he can actually put the talent to proper use.

slightlyaraiderfan
09-17-2008, 10:21 PM
That's why the recruiting services are so out of whack. They don't factor enough the quality of competition that these kids play when they rank them.

It's the reason you see so many FL, TX, CA, OH kids move up so quickly when the high school all star games start. That's when the true evaluating is done.

It's simple logic. Top kids who play other top kids develop better than people who just beat up on terrible 5'5 high school kids all day.

The other side of this is, you have to take into account the level of competition within the state. These are where the biggest recruiting "misses" take place. Also, a kid dominating horrible competition doesn't always mean he's a bad player either. It's the toughest thing to judge in recruiting.

A prime example of this is former FSU QB Xavier Lee. He played in arguably the worst talent pool in Florida, broke all these records, and was anointed the next great quarterback when in reality, all he was doing was just bullying kids with his size and big arm. He had no understanding of the game, and when he played top competition (which started at the AAA game), he struggled mightily.

A 3* kid from Dade County is more likely to succeed than a 4* kid from Iowa or Minnesota. It's just basic.

The fact that Randy Shannon is clamping down Dade/Broward County despite really no real success at Miami is going to turn the Canes into a national powerhouse once again if he can actually put the talent to proper use.
So what you're really trying to say is that Bryce Brown is going to suck?

:P

Joeyjr09
09-17-2008, 10:23 PM

Which are the two better 2010 prospects?

I know Miami is taking a small class this year because we are loading up on South Florida talent next year so I'd be surprised to see anyone taking any kid we offer from our area.

Anyways, the proof is in the pudding. Sean Spence was rated a 4* and he has arguably been the best freshman in the entire country, regardless of position. Not to mention all the other kids we had come in from south florida and give the number 5 ranked team all they can handle. All this while our big OOS recruit (Arthur Brown) is too raw to even see the field.

Joeyjr09
09-17-2008, 10:24 PM

He's saying Bryce Brown will take longer to develope then South Florida talent. Read my above post to see what I mean.

djp
09-17-2008, 10:24 PM

I knew somebody was going to comment on that, haha.

I think anyone who knows anything about football and has even watched Bryce carry the ball a couple times can see he's going to be special.

Like I said, evaluating talent in the Midwest is extremely tough to do, but like my man Bryce proved in San Antonio last year, he's worth the hype. They do sometimes take longer to develop.

I've stated previously I think he has a legit shot to be the best RB we have ever had.

djp
09-17-2008, 10:29 PM
To answer the original topic at hand, I have tremendous respect for Pete Carroll. Yes, he has an easy sell, but recruiting is obviously harder than ever. He has a great support system of coaches around him with a great blend of recruiting prowess and coaching ability.

I'm really glad the Canes got Mike Barrow. They really did follow in SC's footsteps there. He is a phenomenal recruiter and once you click on the YT link in my sig once, you will recognize why kids want to play for him.

P-L
09-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Which are the two better 2010 prospects?

Marvin Robinson and Ricardo Miller.

djp
09-17-2008, 10:40 PM

I think Robinson is Florida's to lose. I have heard Michigan mentioned though, which is more than you could say a couple years back.

Ricardo Miller appears to be a Michigan lock. Dr. Phillips produced Ryan Moore though, so be careful ;)

Joeyjr09
09-17-2008, 10:42 PM

Ok, figured they were central florida prospects. Tell RR that he's recruiting the wrong part of the state.

Ricardo Miller is a bust I can tell you that now. No one good comes out of Orlando. No one. Think Joe Joseph and Ryan Moore. You better hope you pass on him. I can't think of the last good player to come from there.

Marvin Robinson should be a solid 4 star but he'll be a tough pull from the Gators.

Either way, no one we care about. Bigger fish to fry.

slightlyaraiderfan
09-17-2008, 10:46 PM
He's saying Bryce Brown will take longer to develope then South Florida talent. Read my above post to see what I mean.
Bro, I was being facetious.

IrishTrojan
02-21-2009, 03:48 AM
Sure one out of state recruit visited USC in 08, he said that he would love to meet Eve when he was in la... Bang he meets her in some club and then he finishes his visit and commits to an SEC team.

J52
11-18-2009, 06:43 PM
The best recruiter is Butch Davis and it isn't even close.

He is the man who brought Miami from 5-6 in the late 90s to 20 first round picks in the early 2000s.

He basically recruited the mid 2000s Pro Bowl roster.

From wikipedia:
Ray Lewis (LB), Yatil Green (WR), Kenard Lang (DE), Kenny Holmes (DE), Duane Starks (CB), Edgerrin James (RB), Bubba Franks (TE), Dan Morgan (LB), Damione Lewis (DT), Santana Moss (WR), Reggie Wayne (WR), Bryant McKinnie (OT), Jeremy Shockey (TE), Phillip Buchanon (CB), Ed Reed (S), Mike Rumph (CB), Andre Johnson (WR), Jerome McDougle (DE), Willis McGahee (RB), William Joseph (DT), Sean Taylor (S), Kellen Winslow II (TE), Jonathan Vilma (LB), D.J. Williams (LB), Vernon Carey (OT), Vince Wilfork (DT), Antrel Rolle (CB), and Kelly Jennings (CB)[2]

LonghornsLegend
11-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Who recruited Gore and Portis?

soybean
11-18-2009, 08:23 PM
I think all the recruits are/were some what overrated. Like they said on college football live... sometimes recruits gain an extra star etc. simply because they were being recruited by usc.

EDIT: I just wish he was able to bring in Manti Teo and Vontaze Burfadict (sp?)

gstock05
11-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Programs like Miami and USC don't need great recruiters. They just need competent coaches who can win, and don't scare recruits away.

Think about this for a second.... If you were 18 years old, and were offered a scholarship to a school right by hollywood, the beach, year-round warm weather, in addition to a high opportunity of playing in a national championship game with a nfl career in the future, would you take that?

The point is... these programs sell themselves. There really isn't a lot you have to do to recruit a guy to usc...

J52
11-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Programs like Miami and USC don't need great recruiters. They just need competent coaches who can win, and don't scare recruits away.

Think about this for a second.... If you were 18 years old, and were offered a scholarship to a school right by hollywood, the beach, year-round warm weather, in addition to a high opportunity of playing in a national championship game with a nfl career in the future, would you take that?

The point is... these programs sell themselves. There really isn't a lot you have to do to recruit a guy to usc...

Not really. In case you haven't noticed, Miami has sucked since 2004. They are improving a lot and still can't get the top players from their own state.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=2494&Year=2010

Notice how only a couple of the top 25 are even considering Miami.

J52
11-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Who recruited Gore and Portis?

Probably just missed a few.

brat316
11-19-2009, 01:24 PM
The best recruiter is Butch Davis and it isn't even close.

He is the man who brought Miami from 5-6 in the late 90s to 20 first round picks in the early 2000s.

He basically recruited the mid 2000s Pro Bowl roster.

From wikipedia:
Ray Lewis (LB), Yatil Green (WR), Kenard Lang (DE), Kenny Holmes (DE), Duane Starks (CB), Edgerrin James (RB), Bubba Franks (TE), Dan Morgan (LB), Damione Lewis (DT), Santana Moss (WR), Reggie Wayne (WR), Bryant McKinnie (OT), Jeremy Shockey (TE), Phillip Buchanon (CB), Ed Reed (S), Mike Rumph (CB), Andre Johnson (WR), Jerome McDougle (DE), Willis McGahee (RB), William Joseph (DT), Sean Taylor (S), Kellen Winslow II (TE), Jonathan Vilma (LB), D.J. Williams (LB), Vernon Carey (OT), Vince Wilfork (DT), Antrel Rolle (CB), and Kelly Jennings (CB)[2]

what did JJ do then?

J52
11-19-2009, 01:45 PM
what did JJ do then?

JJ was the 80s.

gstock05
11-28-2009, 02:44 AM
Not really. In case you haven't noticed, Miami has sucked since 2004. They are improving a lot and still can't get the top players from their own state.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=2494&Year=2010

Notice how only a couple of the top 25 are even considering Miami.

well, historically, miami has been a recruiting powerhouse. Coker was the equivalent of watching paint dry in the coolness factor, so he sort of drove recruits away. Add in the fact that there are 3 other big schools in the state jockeying for position and it makes it a bit tougher to recruit. Regardless, you guys get the point. Schools like Miami and USC have a natural advantage in recruiting. if they can't recruit, they have nobody to blame but themselves..