PDA

View Full Version : Potential Free Agents

defensiveback23
02-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Now I know it isn't AJ's style, but I thought it would be fun to see what potential free agents out there you guys want us to pursue. With the 04' class finally hitting the market there is some talent out there for a change. When AJ does looks at the market he typically goes for the mid-tier players so my picks will focus on them.

The number one player I would like us to sign is Madieu Williams. It seemed to me that opposing teams had the most success passing against us over the middle. Williams is solid in coverage and is a much better tackler and athlete than either Hart or McCree. He would be a perfect fit next to Weddle because they are both versatile enough to play FS or SS, they are both good wrap tacklers and would provide very good deep halves coverage. If we signed him I think the big plays from poor tackling that seemed to haunt us would disappear and our coverage would be improved over the middle. The only downside to signing him is the injury risk since he has missed pretty significant time earlier in his career. I also really like Gibril Wilson because he would provide virtually everything Williams would.

Another guy I think is a perfect fit for our defense is Reggie Torbor. He is a great athlete that would be the best 3rd OLB we've had since Phillips filled the role. I think he could flourish in a 3-4 and especially a 3rd down pass rushing role for us. Both Merriman and Phillips seem to get hurt and miss a little time each season so having Torbor would be huge. I really like Jyles Tucker's upside but I think Torbor would be an improvement with an even greater potential payoff. At the very least he would provide a significant improvement over Harris and could spell Merriman/Phillips on occasion.

Randy Starks is another player that would be a great signing for us. He would save us from having to spend a draft pick to add extra depth to the d-line. He could push Cesaire for the most backup playing time and he is a considerably better athlete and younger than Bingham. Castillo and Olshansky both have missed time with injuries so Starks could be a very nice asset to have off the bench. I don't think Starks has come close to realizing his potential so signing him could pay some big dividends eventually.

Thunder&Lightning
02-10-2008, 03:39 PM
i like wilson over williams that would be huge if the bolts got one of those 2 though. It would sure up the secondary and allow us to concentrate on the OL and LB core for the draft.

sdpads24
02-10-2008, 05:33 PM
i like wilson over williams that would be huge if the bolts got one of those 2 though. It would sure up the secondary and allow us to concentrate on the OL and LB core for the draft.

I'm curious to know in your mind what's wrong with our LB core?

Thunder&Lightning
02-12-2008, 07:17 AM
SD doesnt have any glaring weaknesses obviously and the LB core is good but I just feel if we had to pick somewhere to improve after the secondary and OL was sured up it would be ILB. They are good just feel we could become a little better.

bergo23
02-14-2008, 05:49 AM
Starks is an interesting idea........I wonder if he has the frame to put on some more pounds and become a NT? I know he was a beast coming out of Maryland.

KRS1
02-14-2008, 10:53 AM
SD doesnt have any glaring weaknesses obviously and the LB core is good but I just feel if we had to pick somewhere to improve after the secondary and OL was sured up it would be ILB. They are good just feel we could become a little better.

With Cooper and Wilhelm having really good years and Anthony Waters, Brandon Siller and Tim Dobbins ready to openly compete for starting and backup roles next season I doubt we even draft an ILB this year. It's not at all a need and there is nobody worth the pick in the 1st.

I still think we draft a corner. I can see going with Reggie Smith if none of the top corners are on the board but with Paul Oliver moving to Saftety and Weddle getting a starting job that leaves Cletis Gordon as the nickle corner. Now to be fair I can't remember ever seeing Cletis get any amount of playing time that would allow me to form an objective opinion on him but he has been on the team for a few years now and the simple fact that I can't remember him being on the field (outside of special teams) tells me a lot. That will be one sure spot we can upgrade!