PDA

View Full Version : Updated Mock - 1 round w/ explanations 2/7/08

summond822
02-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Updated, trying to take all the feedback that I got into account for the teamsÖif you posted that you didnít like a pick and couldnít explain why, then itís your own fault.

This will probably be the last mock that I post until something significant happens, like FA or the combine.

I also flipped up the Oakland and Atlanta picks for giggles.
The top half is pretty much the same, but the second part is probably going to get shaken up.

If the reasoning doesnít make sense Iíll try to explain it, if it seems contradictory its cause I was debating to myself in the explanation, more than likely.

1. Miami - Chris Long, DE, Virginia
My reasons for this are the same as before, I just canít help but think that Parcells is going to go with a guy who should really help their d-line. Heís not in the same class as Mario Williams was coming out a couple years ago, but he will have the chance to make an immediate impact at Miami. I would not be surprised if Miami traded down from here for more selections to aid their rebuilding process.

2. St. Louis Rams Ė Jake Long, OT, Michigan
Iíve seen a couple Rams fans that arenít in favor of this pick, so I gave consideration to Vernon Gholston here, but I just canít see the Rams going to their defense with this pick unless itís Chris Long here. Pace is getting older, Barron hasnít been the most consistent. Even if they use this pick just to groom him behind Pace, it would probably be better down the long run than taking Gholston.

3. Atlanta Falcons Ė Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
They need a new face to their franchise. Who better than a guy who came in second in the Heisman voting two years in a row and is well known across the country. Their QB situation isnít settled, but it isnít hard to see them taking a guy later on like John David Booty.

4. Oakland Raiders Ė Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
I went with this pick in my last mock, and I havenít heard from any Oakland fans so Iím sticking with it. If McFadden was still here I find it hard for Al Davis to pass on him, but he isnít. Davis and Kiffin are USC guys, so why not go to their alma mater for an impressive physical specimen like Ellis. His weight was an issue, as I thought he was 285 until the senior bowl, but as soon as I saw he was 305, he rocketed up my board and leap frogged Dorsey, who has had some injury problems.

5. Kansas City Ė Glen Dorsey, DT, LSU
Well, Dorseyís fall didnít last very long here. KC gets to address one of their needs, though it may not be the one that they wanted to. Jake Long would probably be the best fit, but I donít have him falling this far.

6. New York Jets Ė Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio St.
This is by far the most popular pick on the site with the 3-4 that Mangini runs. This adds another piece to his puzzle, and if Gholston lasts this long, I think it will take a whole of 10 seconds for the Jets to decide to draft him. Another excellent reason to pick him, the Patriots canít get their hands on himÖthat may be enough of a reason for Mangini anyways.

7. New England Ė Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
Even with DRC rocketing up boards after the Senior Bowl I doubt he is going to go here. McKelvin is still the best corner in the draft and with Samuel likely leaving in free agency, they have little depth at the secondary position. I doubt they go S since they have Meriweather and Harrison there, but a lot can happen in the time between now and the draft.

8. Baltimore Ė Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
Iím sorry Ravens fans, but I donít see the Ravens going corner here. New coaching regime usually means a changing of the guards at QB, so I have them taking Ryan. CB is a thought, but defense doesnít win championship by itself anymore. They need to come up with a turnaround offensively quickly, and in Ryan they get a guy who has a ton of intangibles and the top QB in this draft.

9. Cincinnati Ė Keith Rivers, LB, USC
Oh CincyÖhow you have disappointed once again. This pick was fairly easy for me as the Bengals have absolutely no depth at LB and never know when the next one is going to end up in prison or suspended by the league. Both Keith Rivers and Dan Connor would suit their needs, and they both have so much going for them. Rivers has played for a national championship team, Connor is from the ďLB UĒ. Rivers wore the legendary 55 jersey, Connor just won the best LB award. Ultimately, I give the spot to Rivers because I believe that he has more upside than Connor.

10. New Orleans Ė Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
Lets face it, the Saints secondary has sucked it up, and they still havenít found someone to play opposite of Mackenzie. Mike Jenkins is a solid player who fills a need, and in the process becomes the highest drafted player in USF history.

11. Buffalo Ė Dan Connor, LB, Penn St.
It would be nice if the Bills could give Trent Edwards another target to complement Evans, but unless they trade down, I donít see them taking a WR in the first. I am tempted to give them Connor, yet they drafted Pousluzney last year. With Kenny Philips still on the board that was an interesting thought, but they need more help in stopping the run. Even though I didnít want to do it, I had to give them Connor as there are no DL on the board worthy of this pick, and by drafting Connor they can improve both their run and pass (hopefully) defenses.

12. Denver Ė Kenny Phillips, S, Miami
Denver is in an interesting dilemma, they have a system where they believe that anybody can run the ball for 1,000 yards in. However, their o-line has just not been up to it lately. Another option is Kenny Philips, and with an aging secondary, including John Lynch a year or two away from retirement, I just canít see them passing on such an exceptional talent if he actually falls this far in the draft.

13. Carolina Ė Ryan Clady
What am I supposed to do with CarolinaÖthey have problems all over the place. My first thought was to give them Malcom Kelly, as there were no defensive players worthy of this pick. With Clady falling this far it was an interesting debate, but I think that if your going to have a one player passing attack, you should at least have another option to take away the double teams from Steve Smith. Ultimately I believe that they have to settle (ha) for Clady as he solidifies their o-line.

14. Chicago Ė Jeff Otah, OT, Pitt
Chicago just misses out on Clady, but I canít really feel bad for them getting a consolation of big Jeff Otah. They may take a big NT to help shore up their defense and replace Tank Johnson, who they missed this last year, or perhaps take a QB of the future such as Brohm or Woodson. This may be a little early for Otah, but this may help out with their QB problem too.

15. Detroit Ė Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
The Detroit fans donít want a corner, so Iím not obliged to give them one. One commented that they needed a pass rush and I believe that Harvey is going to be one of the best in a strong class of pass rushers. Perhaps RB is a thought here and Kevin Jones potentially leaving in FA.

16. Arizona Ė Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon
Arizona fans want a RB to replace Edge. Donít really see why, as I believe that most of the fault lies with the line. However, it is not my place to say what the fans of a particular team want, since they get to watch them roughly 14 more times a season than I do. Iíll trust their judgment, but I would not be surprised if Arizona goes defense here, especially if Harvey manages to fall.

17. Minnesota Ė Reggie Smith, S, Oklahoma
Minnesota is set on their o- and d-lines. If they do have a problem, itís that they donít generate a pass rush on d, and they have an ineffective QB. I donít think they are going to give up on Jackson yet, however, I can see them addressing their pass defense with a pass rusher or a corner. I honestly donít think that Talib is worthy of this pick, so I go with Smith, who will learn under Sharper and eventually replace him.

18. Houston Ė Malcom Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
Iím not really sure what to do with Houston. In my last draft I gave them Kelly to compliment Andre Johnson and give Schaub another target to throw to. O-line is a big need, and Iím not really quite sure about their defense. In the end though, I think the player that best fits their needs is Kelly.

19. Philadelphia Ė Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
Talib gets some thought here, but I canít see the Eagles going CB with this pick. DeSean Jackson would give them a home-run threat on KR, PR, and any time he touches the ball, but itís not too hard to see the Eagles going after a guy like Donnie Avery later on. Ultimately I was down to Campbell and Merling, but I had to go with Campbell who I believe has far higher upside.

20. Tampa Bay Ė DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal
This pick is one of the easiest for me. Tampa Bay has a couple of really good WRís, but they are getting older. DeSean Jackson is a burner who will be able to learn under Joey Galloway until the time comes for him to take over full time. He will make an immediate impact on special teams, and is an explosive playmaker whenever he touches the ball.

21. Washington Ė Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
I really donít know much about Washington. I think that they could use a premier pass rusher, but Iím not so sure that there are any left. They may decide to grab Talib here, but I donít really think that they are thinking he is worth it. They could take Balmer, a big DT, who could be a good pass rusher. Merling is the next best DE, so he deserves a thought, but ultimately I think that Sweed is the best pick, though I was really tempted by Balmer or Merling.

22. Dallas Ė Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
This would be quite a fall for Talib according to some people, but I believe that he is the third best corner in the draft and Dallas doesnít want to risk him going to one of the teams before they pick again. Deserving of thoughts here are Rashard Mendenhall (if they lose Jones), Balmer, and perhaps Early Douchet.

23. Pittsburgh Ė Sam Baker, OL, USC
This pick ultimately rests with the decision that Faneca makes. He leaves, I think that they have no choice but to address their o-line, but with the depth in this draft they may be able to get away with picking up one later on like an OíNeil Cousins. I was thinking maybe Quentin Groves since Mike Tomlin is transitioning to a 4-3 and he will be able to play in the 3-4 for now and 4-3 later. The two OL that I am debating here are Baker and Cherilus, and since Iím not that familiar with Cherilus, I have to settle for Baker here.

24. Tennessee Ė Early Douchet, WR, LSU
The ideal pick here would probably be for Sweed to fall this far which is entirely possible. That would reunite Young with him, and give Young a familiar target to continue his growth process. CB is a thought here, and DRC gets huge considerations. Balmer is a thought here, but I donít think he is capable of playing NT and stuffing the run like Haynesworth (if Haynesworth leaves). I go with Douchet here as a skilled WR that will enable Young to develop even furtherÖif he stays healthy.

25. Seattle Ė Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M
Mendenhall is the popular pick here. I donít like it. Alexander is coming back and so is Morris. I donít think that Holmgren thinks that Alexander is doneÖso if they do take a RB, itís not going to be in the first round (unless itís Stewart). Itís going to be someone that can come in and contribute right away and possibly help with their running game. Judging by the value on the table, it is really hard to say no to Balmer, but having a guy like Martellus Bennett, all 6í7 of him catching touchdowns in Seattle is very attractive to me.

26. Jacksonville Ė Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee St.
Jacksonville is an enigma to me. They have the players it seems like every year to be competitive. Only a few more pieces and they could be going to the Super Bowl. I think one of their big needs is in the secondary and so DRC is the easiest pick here, especially with the way he has been rocketing up boards.

27. San Diego Ė Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
Getting DRC may not be ideal, but it may be the best they can hope for. Unfortunately for San Diego, he goes one pick before they get a shot at him. This pick is left between Cherilus and Mendenhall, as I remember a Chargerís fan saying he thought that Mendenhall would be a good pick here. I just donít see it, and so Cherilus is the most obvious pick.

28. Dallas Ė Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
Dallas is afforded a luxury pick with two first rounders so close together. They may pool them and make a trade up, but since I donít like messing with trades, I have to give them Rashard Mendenhall as a replacement to Jones if he leaves in FA. If he stays they will not use this pick on him, but could possibly go with Balmer.

29. San Francisco Ė Chris Williams, OL, Vandy
I honestly donít know what to do with SF. They could use some WRís, since theirs grossly underachieved last year. They may decide to part ways with Alex Smith, or at least push him and draft a QB here. Steve Justice gets a thought here since Iím not quite sure how they are set at center. Ultimately the WRís donít match up with the value anymore, they probably wonít take any of the QBís here since that would be the same as shoving Alex Smith out the door. This is way too early to reach for Justice, so I have to go with the last first rounder at OL in Chris Williams.

30. Green Bay Ė Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn
Iím not really impressed with the depth the Green Bay has at CB, though Iím not that familiar with their needs. Before I gave them Justin King, but that was simply because he was rated higher than the other CBís I didnít know much about. Felix Jones gets a thought here because of his potential, but I donít really see that happening. The corners that Iím really going back and forth on are Charles Godfrey, Tracy Porter and Patrick Lee. I ultimately have to go with Lee, because he is probably the most polished at the moment.

31. New England Ė Forfeited

32. New York Giants Ė Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
Iím not really what way to go with the Giants. They could go CB, S, or DT. At CB thereís Porter and Godfrey, S thereís DeCeod left, and then at DT there is Balmer. Of those players, Balmer is the one that scares me the most when I picture the giantís d-line with the addition of him. They are set at DE until Strahan retires, but DT could be a weakness. Balmer is a boom or bust guy, and him falling almost out of round one justifies this pick. Though with the way their DL dominated in the Super Bowl, they could go any other direction, maybe take Cason here or something.

hugegmenfan
02-07-2008, 08:26 PM
good pick for the giants. dan connor could go there as well. balmer probably will be gone by time we pick # 32 though.

summond822
02-07-2008, 08:30 PM
good pick for the giants. dan connor could go there as well. balmer probably will be gone by time we pick # 32 though.

thanx. I have connor going 11 to the bills (which may be a bit high).

Ya, I can easily seeing Balmer going earlier...I didn't give him to the Seahawks because I don't think that he would be a very good run stopping DT. The way this fell he just happened to be sliding...we'll have to see what he does at the combine.

scottyboy
02-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Balmer, Porter, Dajuan Morgan, Jeremy Ito. All acceptable picks there

foozball
02-07-2008, 08:50 PM
malcolm kelly is not a need for houston. we have kevin walter, owen daniels at TE, jacoby jones as an up and comer, and we are going all out to resign andre davis

give us rashard mendenhall

GDWTheSickness
02-07-2008, 08:53 PM
love all the effort put into the analysis. not so much aqib talib tho. DRC would be an alternate

defensiveback23
02-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Great pick for the Chargers. If Reggie Smith is gone Cherilus is the second best option for the bolts imo. It was probably me that mentioned Mendenhall. I only said that if there was no DB or OT worth the pick and Mendenhall was still around he wouldn't be a bad pick.

Yung Flippa
02-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Okay Ravens pick, but Houston probably takes DeSean Jackson (a small speed guy) to complement Andre Johnson (a tall guy)

Bills2083
02-07-2008, 10:01 PM
I wouldnt mind that pick for Buffalo.
Malcolm Kelly would be a good choice too.

Rich Jr
02-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Phillips>Jenkins

BeerBaron
02-07-2008, 10:30 PM
acceptable bears pick

RaiderNation
02-08-2008, 01:06 AM
good raider pick

Sveen
02-08-2008, 01:54 AM
OK Saints pick, but I don't think Jenkins is worth the #10 overall even though we really need a corner.

gdamac
02-08-2008, 04:08 AM
Good Raider pick.

weasel
02-08-2008, 06:58 AM
horrible Lions pick. With Merling and Campbell available you chose the worst of the three to give to the Detroit franchise.

thebow305
02-08-2008, 11:05 AM
ok phins pick

summond822
02-08-2008, 04:02 PM
horrible Lions pick. With Merling and Campbell available you chose the worst of the three to give to the Detroit franchise.

Is it a horrible pick because of the player or the position?

Also, Campbell and Harvey are really close together on terms of upside...Merling is in the next tier below them...at least that's what I believe. Mocks are a matter of opinion, and IMO Harvey is the best of the DE left at that spot.

summond822
02-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Phillips>Jenkins

Um...okay...why?

I thought that the saints had a much bigger need at CB than at S. Phillips is probably going to be a great NFL player and have a heck of a lot more star power, but Jenkins fills an immediate need. Phillips can't convert to CB and unless you can see him running with the WR's in the NFL stride-for-stride, I just think that the saints have to go with Jenkins.

I would love to debate the pick...but your not really giving me much to work with here :P

OK Saints pick, but I don't think Jenkins is worth the #10 overall even though we really need a corner.

He may not be worth 10 overall...but I don't know where else to go but their biggest need (I saw the guy on ESPN has you guys drafting a WR at 10).

What player would you recommend there instead of Jenkins?

Forenci
02-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Balmer, Porter, Dajuan Morgan, Jeremy Ito. All acceptable picks there

LOL. You realize I would be forced to end my existence if the Giants drafted Ito in the 1st Round, right? Of course I know you're joking (though maybe not with you), but it scares me just thinking about it. If it calms your Rutgers homerism, I would like to take Sosa at some point for depth.

I like Balmer at our pick. Cofield really came on strong for us in the playoffs I felt. He owned the Patriots - but so did the rest of our line. He plugged the run very well though. I'd like to see a bulky guy like Balmer to use for running situations. Robbins and Alford are great penetrators, but certainly aren't anything worth writing home about when it comes to stopping the run.

summond822
02-08-2008, 04:20 PM
malcolm kelly is not a need for houston. we have kevin walter, owen daniels at TE, jacoby jones as an up and comer, and we are going all out to resign andre davis

give us rashard mendenhall

sorry for taking so long to reply to this one...

Anyways...I would much rather give Houston an OT since it doesn't matter who you draft...your O-line is still pretty bad. Mendenhall may help...but lets be honest...what good is it to have all the weapons on offense if you can't block.

Kelly may not be a very good selection there, but he is probably the best WR in the class, and he gives them another target to throw to in case Andre Johnson goes down with an injury for the majority of the season again.

Addict
02-08-2008, 04:22 PM

you're nuts, Campbell isn't a pure pass rusher, which is what we need to make the defensive scheme work.

Good job on the mock.

energizerbunny
02-08-2008, 04:27 PM
I find it pretty hard to believe the Seahawks would pass on Mendenhall, no matter what kind of need they have at TE.....

Mendenhall is basically the exact type of RB Holmgren looks for in his offense.

summond822
02-08-2008, 04:45 PM
I find it pretty hard to believe the Seahawks would pass on Mendenhall, no matter what kind of need they have at TE.....

Mendenhall is basically the exact type of RB Holmgren looks for in his offense.

I'm a Seahawks fan...and watching all these mocks giving the Seahawks Mendenhall has been driving me crazy...

RB is a need easily addressed...why waste your first round pick on a guy who may not even be in the league after three years (average career of an NFL RB). I believe that is the Seahawks draft philosophey...they'd rather use their pick on a guy with staying power, like an o-lineman, who will be around for 7+ years.

We did not have a red zone passing game because we did not have a big target for Hasslebeck to throw to. Martellus Bennett gives us that, and even if our running game doesn't work out, we now have a red zone offense.

The only RB I see the Seahawks drafting in the first is Jonathan Stewart (or Darren McFadden but lets be real here). He is from Washington and went to college at a relatively close to home even though it's down in Eugene. He would be the best choice, but I don't think that he will fall to the Seahawks and we will have to make a trade up to get him.

Still, Holmgren only has one more year...so it's not so much a question of the type of RB that Holmgren likes, but the type that Mora likes. I would honestly rather wait until round 2 and pick up someone like a Kevin Smith, Ray Rice, or Mike Hart. All guys who will run hard and pick up yards.

This is Alexanders normal trend when he runs the ball: -1, 0, +2, -3, +10
He does nothing then breaks off a big run...if we can get someone who even goes: +1, +2, +2, -1, +4
I would take that over Alexander. Net yardage is the same.

While talking about Holmgren though, he believes that Alexander still has gas left in the tank and that only injuries have slowed him down. So unless you can somehow give me proof that Holmgren thinks that Mendenhall is a better option than Alexander, I'm going to keep giving the Seahawks a big recieving TE, who can learn to block, and who also has the most upside of all the top TE's.

sportsnerd23
02-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Its interesting but i liked it. Nice job.

Thunder&Lightning
02-09-2008, 03:57 PM
good sd pick they would have to choose between williams and cherilus. i would pick williams...

sportsnerd23
02-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Calias would be OK there for the Eagles, but i still think WR is our biggest need.

Jakey
02-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Good Steelers pick...Baker would be solid!

energizerbunny
02-09-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm a Seahawks fan...and watching all these mocks giving the Seahawks Mendenhall has been driving me crazy...

RB is a need easily addressed...why waste your first round pick on a guy who may not even be in the league after three years (average career of an NFL RB). I believe that is the Seahawks draft philosophey...they'd rather use their pick on a guy with staying power, like an o-lineman, who will be around for 7+ years.

We did not have a red zone passing game because we did not have a big target for Hasslebeck to throw to. Martellus Bennett gives us that, and even if our running game doesn't work out, we now have a red zone offense.

The only RB I see the Seahawks drafting in the first is Jonathan Stewart (or Darren McFadden but lets be real here). He is from Washington and went to college at a relatively close to home even though it's down in Eugene. He would be the best choice, but I don't think that he will fall to the Seahawks and we will have to make a trade up to get him.

Still, Holmgren only has one more year...so it's not so much a question of the type of RB that Holmgren likes, but the type that Mora likes. I would honestly rather wait until round 2 and pick up someone like a Kevin Smith, Ray Rice, or Mike Hart. All guys who will run hard and pick up yards.

This is Alexanders normal trend when he runs the ball: -1, 0, +2, -3, +10
He does nothing then breaks off a big run...if we can get someone who even goes: +1, +2, +2, -1, +4
I would take that over Alexander. Net yardage is the same.

While talking about Holmgren though, he believes that Alexander still has gas left in the tank and that only injuries have slowed him down. So unless you can somehow give me proof that Holmgren thinks that Mendenhall is a better option than Alexander, I'm going to keep giving the Seahawks a big recieving TE, who can learn to block, and who also has the most upside of all the top TE's.

In 2000 the Seahawks drafted Shaun Alexander to replace a 31 year old Ricky Watters, who while having a solid season prior was beginning to show signs of age. Watters and Alexander split time in 2000 and formed a great duo, Alexander went on to become the man in 2001.

Shaun and Ricky were very similiar... both having great hands out of the backfield and both similar types of RBs Holmgren usually employed... (Shaun Alexander is very similar to Dorsey Levens).

Now were in 2008, Shaun Alexander is over the hill and hasn't been able to stay healthy for the last two seasons.

Although Shaun can still contribute in ways he is far from the featured back he was in 2005.
Shaun is 31 years old (the same age Ricky Watters was when Shaun was drafted) and if the Seahawks want to make a run at the title again they need a RB to lean on and help carry some of the load next season. The Seahawks window of oppurtunity is slowly closing and a rookie RB can make the type of impact that can help carry them to the playoffs and beyond. A one-two punch of Alexander & Mendenhall could become lethal and actually help the Seahawks get some of their money out of Shaun.

Mendenhall is a very,very similar running and player to Alexander and I think he could be eased in gently in Seatle and really start making an impact later in the season. Blocking ability, hands, even running style I think Mendenhall is the defintion of what Holmgren looks for in a running back...

I don't think TE and Oline for example make a big enough impact early on for a team that may have 2 or 3 solid years of playoff contention left in them.
TE can be addressed in free agency with a project player for the future selected in the 2nd or later.

TyronePoole38
02-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Calias would be OK there for the Eagles, but i still think WR is our biggest need.

IMO they have a lot of depth at DE, can't see them spending a 1st there.

I agree the Eagles need WR help but they have drafted 1 WR in the 1st under Andy Reid...Fred-Ex. IDK that they will draft one in the 1st this year, but it's possible.

sportsnerd23
02-10-2008, 11:29 AM
I hope the Eagles don't pass on Desean Jackson

nobodyinparticular
02-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Ellis is a good pick for the Raiders. However, don't be so sure that the Raiders would pass on him even if Run DMC were available at that point. I think it's very likely the Raiders still take a lineman even if McFadden is on the board.

summond822
02-10-2008, 07:12 PM
In 2000 the Seahawks drafted Shaun Alexander to replace a 31 year old Ricky Watters, who while having a solid season prior was beginning to show signs of age. Watters and Alexander split time in 2000 and formed a great duo, Alexander went on to become the man in 2001.

Shaun and Ricky were very similiar... both having great hands out of the backfield and both similar types of RBs Holmgren usually employed... (Shaun Alexander is very similar to Dorsey Levens).

Now were in 2008, Shaun Alexander is over the hill and hasn't been able to stay healthy for the last two seasons.

Although Shaun can still contribute in ways he is far from the featured back he was in 2005.
Shaun is 31 years old (the same age Ricky Watters was when Shaun was drafted) and if the Seahawks want to make a run at the title again they need a RB to lean on and help carry some of the load next season. The Seahawks window of oppurtunity is slowly closing and a rookie RB can make the type of impact that can help carry them to the playoffs and beyond. A one-two punch of Alexander & Mendenhall could become lethal and actually help the Seahawks get some of their money out of Shaun.

Mendenhall is a very,very similar running and player to Alexander and I think he could be eased in gently in Seatle and really start making an impact later in the season. Blocking ability, hands, even running style I think Mendenhall is the defintion of what Holmgren looks for in a running back...

I don't think TE and Oline for example make a big enough impact early on for a team that may have 2 or 3 solid years of playoff contention left in them.
TE can be addressed in free agency with a project player for the future selected in the 2nd or later.

Yes, I know that they drafted Alexander in 01 when they still had Ricky Waters, but the difference is that Alexander isn't producing, while Waters still was. Don't get me wrong, I think the Seahawks need help at RB, but i think that Martellus Bennett is going to come into the combine and blow people away.

Holmgren expected Marcus Pollard to catch 50-60 balls this year. He had 28 and 2 TD's. Will Heller, our back-up, is primarily a blocking TE and he had 3 TD catches on the season. TE is huge in the WCO that Holmgren runs as it gives the QB options in the redzone and forces the defense to key in on the pass threat letting him use the TE to score an easy TD.

Back to the RB situation, Rashard Mendenhall may be a great player, but I don't like the Seahawks taking a RB in the first. Holmgren isn't the GM anymore like he was back in 01. There are now three people who are going to have an especially large impact on the decision that the Seahawks make in the first. Holmgren, Ruskell, and Mora. Holmgren b/c he's the head coach right now. Ruskell b/c he's building this team for another Super Bowl run next season. Mora b/c he's the head coach next season.

Also, say we take a RB in the first round. They will not be eased in. They will be expected to carry the ball probably at a 60-40 with alexander and morris. Mendenhall is hard for me to put there because I believe I heard somewhere that a Seahawks exec said that the Seahawks do not like taking RB in the first, b/c the average career of an NFL RB is 3 years. They prefer to go o-line or d-line where the staying power is. I would honestly prefer if the Seahawks took a big run stopping DT at 25, but I believe that their offense has to be more consistent, and they can't get the job done even with a rookie RB, then a big TE is of more benefit than that RB.

Here is my list of preferences for the Seahawks at the 25th spot:
1. Jonathan Stewart - He's a local kid and would be a popular pick with the fans.
2. Glen Dorsey - If he goes on a cataclysmic fall.
3. Martellus Bennett/Fred Davis - We need a big time TE, the reason that I prefer Bennett over Davis is the simple fact that Davis is hardly even 6'2.
4. Kentwan Balmer - We need a big DT in the middle to help our "undersized" defense stop the run, and Holmgren admitted he'd like to add another big DT.
5. Rashard Mendenhall - Next best RB.

If the TE's are more likely to fall through to us again in the second, I can see the Seahawks taking Balmer, but Mendenhall is at best the 3rd-4th best option at that spot.

I agree that TE and OL don't usually start making an impact until their 2nd-4th years, but you can't just look at present...they have to build for the future as well and a TE and OL will last longer than a RB.

summond822
02-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Ellis is a good pick for the Raiders. However, don't be so sure that the Raiders would pass on him even if Run DMC were available at that point. I think it's very likely the Raiders still take a lineman even if McFadden is on the board.

In my last mock I had the raiders going 3rd and still gave them Ellis. I just think that he fills more of a need than Run DMC. I also think that he is a better choice for the Raiders than Dorsey.

Matthew Jones
02-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Would prefer Otah, Jackson, Rivers (in reverse order) for the Pats.

energizerbunny
02-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Yes, I know that they drafted Alexander in 01 when they still had Ricky Waters, but the difference is that Alexander isn't producing, while Waters still was. Don't get me wrong, I think the Seahawks need help at RB, but i think that Martellus Bennett is going to come into the combine and blow people away.

Holmgren expected Marcus Pollard to catch 50-60 balls this year. He had 28 and 2 TD's. Will Heller, our back-up, is primarily a blocking TE and he had 3 TD catches on the season. TE is huge in the WCO that Holmgren runs as it gives the QB options in the redzone and forces the defense to key in on the pass threat letting him use the TE to score an easy TD.

Back to the RB situation, Rashard Mendenhall may be a great player, but I don't like the Seahawks taking a RB in the first. Holmgren isn't the GM anymore like he was back in 01. There are now three people who are going to have an especially large impact on the decision that the Seahawks make in the first. Holmgren, Ruskell, and Mora. Holmgren b/c he's the head coach right now. Ruskell b/c he's building this team for another Super Bowl run next season. Mora b/c he's the head coach next season.

Also, say we take a RB in the first round. They will not be eased in. They will be expected to carry the ball probably at a 60-40 with alexander and morris. Mendenhall is hard for me to put there because I believe I heard somewhere that a Seahawks exec said that the Seahawks do not like taking RB in the first, b/c the average career of an NFL RB is 3 years. They prefer to go o-line or d-line where the staying power is. I would honestly prefer if the Seahawks took a big run stopping DT at 25, but I believe that their offense has to be more consistent, and they can't get the job done even with a rookie RB, then a big TE is of more benefit than that RB.

Here is my list of preferences for the Seahawks at the 25th spot:
1. Jonathan Stewart - He's a local kid and would be a popular pick with the fans.
2. Glen Dorsey - If he goes on a cataclysmic fall.
3. Martellus Bennett/Fred Davis - We need a big time TE, the reason that I prefer Bennett over Davis is the simple fact that Davis is hardly even 6'2.
4. Kentwan Balmer - We need a big DT in the middle to help our "undersized" defense stop the run, and Holmgren admitted he'd like to add another big DT.
5. Rashard Mendenhall - Next best RB.

If the TE's are more likely to fall through to us again in the second, I can see the Seahawks taking Balmer, but Mendenhall is at best the 3rd-4th best option at that spot.

I agree that TE and OL don't usually start making an impact until their 2nd-4th years, but you can't just look at present...they have to build for the future as well and a TE and OL will last longer than a RB.

The average length of an NFL career is 3 years but do the Seahawks really have much longer then that to have a run at the title? Their 3 best offensive players are all over 31 years of age... If they can grab a talent like Mendenhall or Stewart (although I believe they will be gone at 25) they need to take him and ride his coatails. However with a very deep TE and RB draft I would be surprised if Seatle didn't address those needs early with 2 of their first 3 picks

summond822
02-11-2008, 03:23 PM
The average length of an NFL career is 3 years but do the Seahawks really have much longer then that to have a run at the title? Their 3 best offensive players are all over 31 years of age... If they can grab a talent like Mendenhall or Stewart (although I believe they will be gone at 25) they need to take him and ride his coatails. However with a very deep TE and RB draft I would be surprised if Seatle didn't address those needs early with 2 of their first 3 picks

I don't know the answer to that...but I believe that the Seahawks are going to be able to make title runs until the rest of this really weak division starts to improve, which with the way it's looking could be never.

Really the future lies on the QB position and what Mora decides to do when he takes over. Is Charlie Frye the answer at QB? Seneca Wallace? I don't know, but we do need to start grooming replacements for the offense. Our defense is young and could carry this team for the next couple of years.

I cannot see the Seahawks not addressing RB and TE in the first 3 rounds, the only other positions of need are a big DT, and a OT to start grooming behind Walter Jones, whenever he decides to retire.

Menardo75
02-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Really like the 9ers pick a lot. Williams would be a great tandem with Staley. The draft is deep at d-line so I think you made the right choice with Williams