PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83

johbur
06-28-2007, 10:37 PM
TT is not going to get fired, particularly with the Pres. coming back. Harlan chose him, Harlan has supported all of his decisions, and Harlan might have even fired his successor for not doing what TT wanted done.

I think TT has made some mistakes with FA and being in love with his overly clever obscure draft choices, but he's hit on a lot of his other draft choices, brought in some quality FAs at a decent price and the team has a lot more talent than when he came in to clean up Sherman's mess.

Football Fan
06-29-2007, 01:19 AM
You can't build the team just to suit Favre. He is only out to break all the major passing records now. Fans may not like TT because he is building for the future but natuarally people are going to be mad not seeing "the legend" Favre have success. When we are a consistantly competitive team in 2-3 years you'll come to realize that TT made the right decisions.
Eh, I didnt say he has made the right or wrong decisions, nor have I predicted his failure. I simply responded to "packmans" question "who would replace Thompson if he was to be replaced after another bad season"? I have however, often said I personally would have preferred a different strategy (a win now and rebuild at the same time) and I still stand by that. I just dont believe in throwing away several years with the "hope to win down the road strategy". I also stand by my statement that Thompson should and will get at least 4 seasons and likely 5 to prove to the board of directors that he can do the job. I also say that if the packers arent back in the playoffs by that time he should and will be fired. Those are my predictions and I absolutely hope as a packer fan Thompson succeeds.

Football Fan
06-29-2007, 01:21 AM
TT is not going to get fired, particularly with the Pres. coming back. Harlan chose him, Harlan has supported all of his decisions, and Harlan might have even fired his successor for not doing what TT wanted done.

I think TT has made some mistakes with FA and being in love with his overly clever obscure draft choices, but he's hit on a lot of his other draft choices, brought in some quality FAs at a decent price and the team has a lot more talent than when he came in to clean up Sherman's mess.Harlan will not be around as CEO past this year, it will be out of his hands.
Other than pure rumors the only reason really given for firing his successor is that Harlan has received multiple complaints about him from people at the management level and it has been derermined that Jones is not suitable or maybe even not qualified for the job.

nbarnett56
06-29-2007, 08:05 AM
Eh, I didnt say he has made the right or wrong decisions, nor have I predicted his failure. I simply responded to "packmans" question "who would replace Thompson if he was to be replaced after another bad season"? I have however, often said I personally would have preferred a different strategy (a win now and rebuild at the same time) and I still stand by that. I just dont believe in throwing away several years with the "hope to win down the road strategy. I also stand by my statement that Thompson should and will get at least 4 seasons and likely 5 to prove to the board of directors that he can do the job. I also say that if the packers arent back in the playoffs by that time he should and will be fired. Those are my predictions and I absolutely hope as a packer fan Thompson succeeds.

4 years if even too less of a time to judge a GM. 6 years IMO is the mark. If you have to wait 3 years to see how your draft class turns out, you'd be rushing a GM by giving him 4 years.

johbur
06-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Six years is too long. Six years builds a losing tradition. Look at Detroit. Millen is a bum and should have been canned two years ago, at least. Maybe the Fords think their team sucks so bad that they have no expectation of winning. I look at when Ray Rhodes was canned. Not sure I agreed with that, but he wasn't up to Wolf's standard. I think TT might be up to Harlan's standard, but the possible black marks against him are the botched 05 year (look Ma, no guards!), passing over possible top-end FAs and trades (Moss situation will be seen after this year as to whether he was a top player, and not sure bringing in a guy for stupid money would have been great. If the Packers miss the playoffs by a game, and Ahman Green has 1200 yards and the Packers' best back has 650, then that was a really bad mistake), and not acquiring reliable offensive weapons for the pass game and causing tension with Favre as a result. (There weren't that many TEs out there, but TT had the money to get one, and he could have drafted any TE over the past two years.)

Six years of losing is NOT acceptable. That being said, TT has one 8-8 year, and one 4-12 year. After this year, I'd love to see that Packers three year record .500, but improving yearly also acceptable. With 30+ draftees and another 10 or so FAs, he's tossed the roster upside down. I do think that if the Packers are not better next year and not playoff competitive, then TT might need to move on.

nbarnett56
07-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Six years is too long.

I stopped reading after that. This is a GM your talking about, not a draft pick. It takes time to re-tool the cap, draft your players, get players that don't fit what your trying to do out, plus starting out with a rookie HC.

Some fans are just way to impatiant about a process that DOES take at least 6 years.

Football Fan
07-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Thompsons contract is 5 years, there has to be reasonable progress or he wont be extended beyond that. The team will be more experienced by then and if Thompson has built the team correctly the packers should be playoff ready.

Football Fan
07-01-2007, 07:03 PM
I stopped reading after that. This is a GM your talking about, not a draft pick. It takes time to re-tool the cap, draft your players, get players that don't fit what your trying to do out, plus starting out with a rookie HC.

Some fans are just way to impatiant about a process that DOES take at least 6 years.
It does not take 6 years to get the team on track and become playoff level talent. Ask Ron Wolf, he made a superbowl team in 5 years. Holmgren had brought his team to there 1st playoff game in 10 years after his 1st year of service, by his 5th year the team was a consistant playoff team and division winner. 5 years is long enough to get a team ready.

Here is some history about Thompson from his Seattle days courtesy of wikipedia.

"Thompson worked in Seattle along with former Packers and current Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren. During Thompsons time in Seattle, The Seahawks advanced to the playoffs in two of the five seasons there with several players Thompson helped acquired through the draft. Some of the notable players Thompson selected in his tenure with the Seahawks were running back Shaun Alexander, kicker Josh Brown, guard Steve Hutchinson, and wide receiver Darrell Jackson, cornerbacks Marcus Trufant and Ken Lucas, safeties Ken Hamlin and Michael Boulware. In 2005, however, with Thompson off to run the Packers, the Seahawks coincidentally had their best success in team history, reaching the Super Bowl. Naming Tim Ruskell the new president of football operations, the Seahawks were more aggressive utilizing free agency in 2005. They also were able to re-sign All-Pro left tackle Walter Jones to a multi-year contract, QB Matt Hasselbeck to a long-term contract and able to keep RB Shaun Alexander by declaring him their "franchise player". The 2005 second round draft pick, LB Lofa Tatupu, is credited with bringing the Seattle defense to the next level and helping get the Seahawks to the Super Bowl."

Pretty impressive, the only thing that stands out as a concern is this 1 area:
"In 2005, however, with Thompson off to run the Packers, the Seahawks coincidentally had their best success in team history, reaching the Super Bowl. Naming Tim Ruskell the new president of football operations, the Seahawks were more aggressive utilizing free agency in 2005."

It is kind of early in Thompsons 5 year contract to be alarmed, but there does seem to be some obvious reluctance to use free agency as a way to patch clear need areas for the team. I hope he will be more willing to pull the trigger when the team is ready for the next step.

nbarnett56
07-02-2007, 08:33 AM
It does not take 6 years to get the team on track and become playoff level talent. Ask Ron Wolf, he made a superbowl team in 5 years. Holmgren had brought his team to there 1st playoff game in 10 years after his 1st year of service, by his 5th year the team was a consistant playoff team and division winner. 5 years is long enough to get a team ready.

It is kind of early in Thompsons 5 year contract to be alarmed, but there does seem to be some obvious reluctance to use free agency as a way to patch clear need areas for the team. I hope he will be more willing to pull the trigger when the team is ready for the next step.

Uh, yes it does. Wolf got lucky in the draft. Its all hit and miss. When you go from a no depth/bad cap team like in the Sherman era to team that TT is putting together, it WILL take 6 years.

Football Fan
07-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Uh, yes it does. Wolf got lucky in the draft. Its all hit and miss. When you go from a no depth/bad cap team like in the Sherman era to team that TT is putting together, it WILL take 6 years.Ron Wolf used fre agency/ trades and the draft to build the packers and he pretty much rebuilt the team. In fact his most important work was through free agency though its harder to aquire free agents today. I also have to point out that Wolf had some luck, but had an excellent eye for talent likely one of the best in the buisness.
Thompson also has had basically the most cap room of the entire league the last 2 out of the 3 years he has been in greenbay(no small amount by any measure) and that is no longer a reason to be concidered a hinderance of any sort for the teams growth.
no offense inteded as most people on this site are very young, but im curious about how old you were when wolf took over?

nbarnett56
07-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Ron Wolf used fre agency/ trades and the draft to build the packers and he pretty much rebuilt the team. In fact his most important work was through free agency.
no offense inteded as most people on this site are very young, but im curious about how old you were when wolf took over?

I know what Wolf has done, but this is a completely different team using a different philosophy. Not too mention, how much longer will Favre play? This could very well be his last season and we don't know what we have in Rodgers. Wolf got lucky in Favre becoming the player he became. Even when Wolf's 1st rounders didn't pan out, he still managed to find starters throughout the draft. You hinted at it yourself, Wolf dipped into free agency quite a bit. TT doesn't. The draft is a crapshoot, which is why Wolf drafted as many players as he could - just like TT is doing. Wolf averaged 9 picks per draft. TT is doing the same thing as Wolf, but in a different era. Your saying 5 years, I'm saying 6. In essence your arguing over a difference of a year, which is quite hilarious.

Football Fan
07-02-2007, 11:59 AM
I know what Wolf has done, but this is a completely different team using a different philosophy. Not too mention, how much longer will Favre play? This could very well be his last season and we don't know what we have in Rodgers. Wolf got lucky in Favre becoming the player he became. Even when Wolf's 1st rounders didn't pan out, he still managed to find starters throughout the draft. You hinted at it yourself, Wolf dipped into free agency quite a bit. TT doesn't. The draft is a crapshoot, which is why Wolf drafted as many players as he could - just like TT is doing. Wolf averaged 9 picks per draft. TT is doing the same thing as Wolf, but in a different era. Your saying 5 years, I'm saying 6. In essence your arguing over a difference of a year, which is quite hilarious.
What im saying is that 5 years is the length of his contract and Thompson will need to show the kind of direction and expertise as a GM that the board of directors is looking for in order for him to receive an extention. Also that the length of the contract was likely meant to be long enough to make that decision. In essence we both are debating an additional year to get the job done, which to me is a playoff ready team minimum. Again I am not predicting failure or success on Thompsons part, in fact I think by next year the team may be there. Also I guess you could make the case for a degree of luck when it comes to Favre, however Wolf had much more skill than luck when it came to finding quarterbacks. In fact his track record was incredible. As far as the draft and ron wolf was concerned, Wolf hit more often on his later picks than he did on his first rounders. The present difference between Wolf and Thompson is that Wolf utilized free agency as a tool to fill holes when the draft didnt work or couldnt in a timely way. That is what contributed to the quick success. Thompson is taking a slower approach almost solely by building the team through the draft. The lingering question about Thompson is whether he will know when to use free agency to bring the team to the next level. It is well known that Thompson disdains using free agency. Which is why I pointed out that Seatle made it to the sb the year he came to the packers. The man that took over for him(Tim Ruskell) became very active in free agency for seattle that year. Which was pointed out in thompsons biography in the wikipedia which I posted above.

nbarnett56
07-02-2007, 12:05 PM
What im saying is that 5 years is the length of his contract and Thompson will need to show the kind of direction and expertise as a GM that the board of directors is looking for in order to receive an extention. In essence we both are debating the additional year and again I am not predicting failure or success on Thompsons part. Also I guess you could make the case for a degree of luck when it comes to Favre, however Wolf had much more skill than luck when it came to finding quarterbacks. In fact his track record was incredible.

I restarted Thompson's "clock" if you will when he hired McCarthy. I don't think its really fair to judge him on that 1st year because he was building a team around what Sherman already had in place. I agree with you on Wolf's ability to find QBs, but none of them were of Favre's calibur. Who knows, if Favre didn't work out for us Wolf could have been gone a few years later. Point is, he hit on Favre and got starters deep in his drafts. If Rodgers works out for TT, I think he would have done a great job so far in turning this organization back around. Its just a matter of time.

Football Fan
07-02-2007, 01:11 PM
I restarted Thompson's "clock" if you will when he hired McCarthy. I don't think its really fair to judge him on that 1st year because he was building a team around what Sherman already had in place. I agree with you on Wolf's ability to find QBs, but none of them were of Favre's calibur. Who knows, if Favre didn't work out for us Wolf could have been gone a few years later. Point is, he hit on Favre and got starters deep in his drafts. If Rodgers works out for TT, I think he would have done a great job so far in turning this organization back around. Its just a matter of time.Hasselbeck is no brett Favre but he also has done quite well as has Brunell or even kurt warner. I think Thompson began his rebuilding process as soon as he took over. Player cuts and the draft played a significant role in Thompsons first year. This was Thompsons 3rd draft which is the same number of drafts that sherman was responsible for, all equally important. This is the 3rd year for players like Nick Collins who is from his first draft and very important for the teams future.

NickCollins36
07-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Nick Collin Bethune Cookman

jackalope
07-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Thompson is taking a slower approach almost solely by building the team through the draft. The lingering question about Thompson is whether he will know when to use free agency to bring the team to the next level. It is well known that Thompson disdains using free agency. Which is why I pointed out that Seatle made it to the sb the year he came to the packers. The man that took over for him(Tim Ruskell) became very active in free agency for seattle that year. Which was pointed out in thompsons biography in the wikipedia which I posted above.I actually like Thompson's approach to FA. Everyone says that he never spends in FA, but look at last year. He brought in Pickett and Woodson, both who really helped out the defense. This year he didn't sign any big names, but really, who should he have signed? He tried to sign Griffith, so I don't really fault him for that. Otherwise, I can't think of any players off the top of my head that would have been an improvement. He avoided paying tons of cash for mediocre players, like many other teams did.

Football Fan
07-02-2007, 02:27 PM
I actually like Thompson's approach to FA. Everyone says that he never spends in FA, but look at last year. He brought in Pickett and Woodson, both who really helped out the defense. This year he didn't sign any big names, but really, who should he have signed? He tried to sign Griffith, so I don't really fault him for that. Otherwise, I can't think of any players off the top of my head that would have been an improvement. He avoided paying tons of cash for mediocre players, like many other teams did.Well as to whether there were free agents available is a subject I want to avoid, because that subject has been beaten to death. At this point the question is will Thompson do what it takes to win in his 4th and 5th year. The team is unprepared for any real success this year. It almost certainly will take some free agent additions to take the team to the next level in a reasonable time frame. Growth from the young players is key, but just about every team I can think of has always needed free agency to give there team a chance to get to the playoffs and beyond. Important holes simply wont be filled in a timely fashion if your team is continually waiting for player development. I thought Thompson did a reasonably good job in free agency last year on the defensive side of the ball. Still he has a well known reluctance to be involved in the free agent market and that could prove to be his biggest weakness as a gm in the long run. Overpaying players is simply part of the buisness, if the goal is to reach the superbowl its something he may have to learn to accept. All succeessful general managers eventually do, or teams will always be stuck in mediocrity. Maybe with a pocket full of cash, but thats not what most fans spending their money care about.

nbarnett56
07-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Well as to whether there were free agents available is a subject I want to avoid, because that subject has been beaten to death. At this point the question is will Thompson do what it takes to win in his 4th and 5th year. The team is unprepared for any real success this year. It almost certainly will take some free agent additions to take the team to the next level in a reasonable time frame. Growth from the young players is key, but just about every team I can think of has always needed free agency to give there team a chance to get to the playoffs and beyond. Important holes simply wont be filled in a timely fashion if your team is continually waiting for player development. I thought Thompson did a reasonably good job in free agency last year on the defensive side of the ball. Still he has a well known reluctance to be involved in the free agent market and that could prove to be his biggest weakness as a gm in the long run. Overpaying players is simply part of the buisness, if the goal is to reach the superbowl its something he may have to learn to accept. All succeessful general managers eventually do, or teams will always be stuck in mediocrity.

I'm willing to bet that he would go out and sign free agents but only when that time presents itself. Right now he is choosing to build mainly through the draft and so far I believe that process is starting to take form. His philosophy is to build through the draft and when you are on the brink of being a consistant competitive team he will add FAs where needed. Right now just isn't the time to add them.

nbarnett56
07-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Hasselbeck is no brett Favre but he also has done quite well as has Brunell or even kurt warner. I think Thompson began his rebuilding process as soon as he took over. Player cuts and the draft played a significant role in Thompsons first year. This was Thompsons 3rd draft which is the same number of drafts that sherman was responsible for, all equally important. This is the 3rd year for players like Nick Collins who is from his first draft and very important for the teams future.

Brunell hasn't had the longevity, neither has Warner. Hell, Warner wasn't even on the 53 man roster. He was a camp body at the time. Aaron Brooks never flashed consistancy either. Hasselbeck is the exception though is still young in his career. None are the calibur player of Favre. I agree that he starting the rebuilding right away too, but he spent money on an Adrian Klemm and stuck with Whitticker throughout the season. That changed when McCarthy came in and implemented the zone blocking scheme. Granted that did help in the decisions to let Rivera walk and to cut Wahle though. Your re-iterating what I said in my original post - this year is the year we find out what we have in TT's 1st draft class.

Football Fan
07-02-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm willing to bet that he would go out and sign free agents but only when that time presents itself. Right now he is choosing to build mainly through the draft and so far I believe that process is starting to take form. His philosophy is to build through the draft and when you are on the brink of being a consistant competitive team he will add FAs where needed. Right now just isn't the time to add them.Thats why Thompson cant be judged to harshly, he is in the middle stages of his plan right now and we have to wait a few more years to see the results of his work. I admit my own irritation with him, but if the team is sound and at least a playoff caliber team after the next 3 seasons I will have much more confidence in him instead of sitting on the fence. At that point what I have concidered missteps will be long forgotten. He already gets my support, because of his roots to ron wolf and his reputation for having a great eye for talent. As of now its just a case of showing me he is not only a great scout but also a good GM. Basically for me its currently a case of "show me the money".

Football Fan
07-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Brunell hasn't had the longevity, neither has Warner. Hell, Warner wasn't even on the 53 man roster. He was a camp body at the time. Aaron Brooks never flashed consistancy either. Hasselbeck is the exception though is still young in his career. None are the calibur player of Favre. I agree that he starting the rebuilding right away too, but he spent money on an Adrian Klemm and stuck with Whitticker throughout the season. That changed when McCarthy came in and implemented the zone blocking scheme. Granted that did help in the decisions to let Rivera walk and to cut Wahle though. Your re-iterating what I said in my original post - this year is the year we find out what we have in TT's 1st draft class.
Actually Brunell had a long successful career, Warner was a 2 time league MVP, Hasselbeck has taken his team to the superbowl and his career isnt over, Brooks became a starter and Tye Detmer became a starter. I mean what more can you really ask from a gm just looking for backup talent, these were bargain rookies where Wolf thought he spotted some talent not just career clip board holders. I mean Wolfs track record is actually phenomenal, Favre is the only one that costed a first round pick. That said very few quarterbacks have or will ever compare to Favre.

Here is an interesting conversation Thompson had with ron wolf about trading for Favre prior to the trade.

"A former Oilers teammate, Mike Reinfeldt, helped to launch Thompson's second football career. Reinfeldt, then the Packers' vice president of administration, recommended to Wolf in 1992 to take a look at Thompson as a potential pro scout for his staff. Wolf subsequently brought Thompson in to audition as a personnel evaluator. Thompson fondly recalls one of the first experiences with Wolf, as the general manager asked for assistance in assessing a young quarterback.

"He came to me with three game tapes of the preseason of the Atlanta Falcons," remembers Thompson, "and he said, 'I want you to look at this quarterback. His jersey number's 4. He'll probably just play in the second half. And tell me what you think.'

"So I'm flipping through, and I had not been involved in football for several years, so I knew his name was Brett Favre, but I didn't really understand that he had been the first or second player taken in the second round (in 1991), which is a valuable draft pick. I'm just looking at him and Brett is Brett, but even more Brett. He's running all over and making great throws, and then the ball gets batted and he catches it and is running around.

"So I go back and he says, 'What do you think?' And I said, 'He looks like a guy that's a little bit raw but has a tremendous arm and great athleticism and a passion and all that.' He goes, 'Well, I'm going to give up a first-round pick for him. Do you think that's a good idea?'

And I said, 'Well, do you think it's a pretty good idea?' And he goes, 'Yeah, I do.' And then I said, 'Then I do, too.' "

In addition to that initial insight about the Packers' now-legendary QB, Thompson learned much from Wolf: "He taught me passion, he taught me work ethic, he taught me believing in yourself, to have confidence, to write down what you see, not what other people see, and to trust yourself."

This is the web site:http://www.packers.com/team/staff/thompson_ted/, its a good read.

jpapa4490
07-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Nice article

Football Fan
07-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Nice article
Thanks, I thought so. Packer football talk has been dead, so I dug that up.

nbarnett56
07-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Actually Brunell had a long successful career, Warner was a 2 time league MVP, Hasselbeck has taken his team to the superbowl and his career isnt over, Brooks became a starter and Tye Detmer became a starter. I mean what more can you really ask from a gm just looking for backup talent, these were bargain rookies where Wolf thought he spotted some talent not just career clip board holders. I mean Wolfs track record is actually phenomenal, Favre is the only one that costed a first round pick. That said very few quarterbacks have or will ever compare to Favre.

Are you a stupid or something? I said Brunell hasn't had the longevity of Favre. Where did I say he didn't have a good career? Show me. Warner didn't do anything IN GREEN BAY. At that time he WAS a camp body. He succeeded in Martz's system - as is Jon Kitna. I never said Hasselbeck's career was over either... Come back to me when you learn to read....

jackalope
07-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Nice articleYeah, great read.

TitleTown088
07-03-2007, 04:58 PM
I know I'm a packer fan and would probabaly kill to be a Brett Favre fluff boy...But Favre only the 14th best NFL player in the last 25 years. Give me a freaking break. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-top-25-series.htm?loc=interstitialskip

princefielder28
07-03-2007, 05:03 PM
I know I'm a packer fan and would probabaly kill to be a Brett Favre fluff boy...But Favre only the 14th best NFL player in the last 25 years. Give me a freaking break. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-top-25-series.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Like someone below on the rankings page said, the only 3 time MVP and he's 14th. What a joke!

Football Fan
07-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Are you a stupid or something? I said Brunell hasn't had the longevity of Favre. Where did I say he didn't have a good career? Show me. Warner didn't do anything IN GREEN BAY. At that time he WAS a camp body. He succeeded in Martz's system - as is Jon Kitna. I never said Hasselbeck's career was over either... Come back to me when you learn to read....Settle down, dont start hurling insults I could do the same. We dont even really disagree on much. Seems more like some misinterpretting of some points being made more than anything. Thats easy to do when people write there posts quickly so they can do more important things.
The point I was making was that Wolf had a top notch eye for quarterback talent and had Favre not worked out I highly doubt wolf would have been let go. He would have found another respectable qb. Wolf was a superb gm and has been the mentor for many highly successful football people. What I was saying was the backups Wolf found were reasonably successful and didnt have to be at Favres level in order to play for greenbay if Favre failed. Very few quarterbacks have or ever will be as good as Favre was.(and I have no doubt you are aware of this)
The reason I made the point was from your post when you said," I agree with you on Wolf's ability to find QBs, but none of them were of Favre's calibur. Who knows, if Favre didn't work out for us Wolf could have been gone a few years later."

Football Fan
07-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Hard to believe that list is being made by "professional" sports writers. Its safe to say that if I were to create a list of top 25 professional sports writers over the last 25 years, none from the usa today would make the list.

johbur
07-04-2007, 03:39 AM
These guys are just jerks at USA Today. They'll probably do something stupid like have Barry Sanders ahead of him. 3 time MVP, 2 SBs, Consecutive games streak holder at QB, he's gonna break Marino's TD record. Now, it's hard to have a top 25 and have all the guys be QBs at the top, but Favre deserves to be amongst Montana, Marino and Elway. Reggie likely top 10. Who are they gonna put ahead of Favre? Manning and Brady? Maybe these writers are only 25 years old and haven't actually seen players play over the last 25 years...

Football Fan
07-04-2007, 03:58 AM
These guys are just jerks at USA Today. They'll probably do something stupid like have Barry Sanders ahead of him. 3 time MVP, 2 SBs, Consecutive games streak holder at QB, he's gonna break Marino's TD record. Now, it's hard to have a top 25 and have all the guys be QBs at the top, but Favre deserves to be amongst Montana, Marino and Elway. Reggie likely top 10. Who are they gonna put ahead of Favre? Manning and Brady? Maybe these writers are only 25 years old and haven't actually seen players play over the last 25 years...I think it has become fashionable to be tough on Favre now that his career is comming to an end. Also the huge amount of praise he has received over the last 15 years must have gotten to be old news. The "sparkle" has worn thin. With the packers no longer making playoff apearances plus the lack of good receivers putting up nice stats in recent years and the whole rebuilding thing. Favre and the pack has begun to fall off the radar a bit.
For professional sports writers stuff like that really shouldnt effect there judgement when rating players and their accomplishments over their entire career. I think it may have in this case.

GB12
07-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Well where's the top 13?

TitleTown088
07-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Well where's the top 13?

If you read it , they say they release a new name everyday. number 13 will be tomorrow i believe.

The Legend
07-04-2007, 06:26 PM
just watch the new madden trailer and at about the half way point Brandon Jackson puts a nice move on Urlacher

mqtirishfan
07-04-2007, 06:40 PM
R. White, B. Sanders, E. Smith, Montana, LT, Marino, Elway, Payton and Rice are the only ones that pop out at me as having the potential to beat out Favre, and I'd put Favre above Barry, Emmitt and Marino and possibly Montana and Reggie. My list would be:
1. Walter Payton
2. Jerry Rice
3. LT
4. Elway
5. Montana
6. Favre
7. Reggie
8. E. Smith
9. Marino
10. Barry Sanders

There's a very good chance I'm missing someone huge, but I didn't put that much thought into the list.

TitleTown088
07-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Source http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

So we've been paying close attention to the ongoing countdown of the top 25 NFL players of the past 25 years on the USA Today web site, and we've even decided to do our own.

Our decision was due in large part to our belief that the USA Today list, well, isn't very good. Our concern started with the inclusion of Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw, whose only football-related activity of note in the past quarter-century was his Hall of Fame speech.

But now we've got another major beef with the folks at USA Today. At No. 14 on their list is Packers quarterback Brett Favre.

Brett Favre? No. 14? The guy who has shattered the record for consecutive starts by a quarterback? The guy who could end up with every career passing record?

Look, we take plenty of shots at Favre, primarily because we get sick of hearing how great he is. But he is. And there's no way that Favre is only the fourteenth best pro football player of the past 25 years.

PFt finally got something right?

Football Fan
07-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Source http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

So we've been paying close attention to the ongoing countdown of the top 25 NFL players of the past 25 years on the USA Today web site, and we've even decided to do our own.

Our decision was due in large part to our belief that the USA Today list, well, isn't very good. Our concern started with the inclusion of Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw, whose only football-related activity of note in the past quarter-century was his Hall of Fame speech.

But now we've got another major beef with the folks at USA Today. At No. 14 on their list is Packers quarterback Brett Favre.

Brett Favre? No. 14? The guy who has shattered the record for consecutive starts by a quarterback? The guy who could end up with every career passing record?

Look, we take plenty of shots at Favre, primarily because we get sick of hearing how great he is. But he is. And there's no way that Favre is only the fourteenth best pro football player of the past 25 years.

PFt finally got something right?Its good to see them give Favre his do respect after all the shots they take at him. As I suspected most of the shots are do to all the praise that Favre has received over the years.

princefielder28
07-05-2007, 01:20 AM
Its good to see them give Favre his do respect after all the shots they take at him. As I suspected most of the shots are do to all the praise that Favre has received over the years.

Favre does deserve the respect and atleast some of his biggest critics are recognizing that.

PACKmanN
07-05-2007, 07:18 PM
just watch the new madden trailer and at about the half way point Brandon Jackson puts a nice move on Urlacher

I saw that too and I was watching game play Packers vs Chiefs and they made our defense weak and they made Brandon so slow.

princefielder28
07-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Is there a LINE yet on the Packers Week 1 game against the Eagles?????

TitleTown088
07-05-2007, 11:51 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070705/PKR01/70705146/1989

The Pack is going old school.

Football Fan
07-06-2007, 02:19 AM
Is there a LINE yet on the Packers Week 1 game against the Eagles?????Not to the best of my knowledge, though its possible somewhere in vegas. I say right now the line will be something like eagles by 7. I think the eagles will win by more than that. Reid and the eagles simply have owned the pack lately and the packs offense wont be able to keep up with them. Theres just nothing there but Favre and Driver. Jennings our runningbacks and tight end are a huge question mark and the season hinges on how quickly they come around. The eagles offense isnt pretty either but they always seem to get points on the board. The defenses should be about equal.
If the packers manage to take this game I think it will be absolutely huge for them even if its only the first game of the year. McCarthy is going to want to stop the trend of losing to this team, its a conference game and its going to be important to get back to winning at home. After looking through there schedule I have that game marked down as one of there losses despite its importance.
I just noticed Chicago starts off there season against San Diego, that should be interesting and a big (L) for da bears if San Diego gets their coaching situation under control. Detroit plays Oakland, that should be a real stinker and Minnesota plays Atlanta. Looks like theres a good posibility that Detroit will be in first place after the first game of the year. lol
Although Atlanta is a mess do to Vicks incredible stupidity and I can see Minnesota beating them. Minnesota and Detroit could be playing each other for first place in the second week. Yes, thats right 1 of those 2 teams will have a real good shot at starting the season 2-0. Heh, but they should begin to crumble after that.
The first 3 games for the pack and da bears will be no cake walks. I could almost see an 0-3 start for both teams, but I think I have to give the pack and bears more respect than that.

PACKmanN
07-06-2007, 03:03 AM
Who do you guys think will be the KR/PR? I wouldn't mind seeing Brandon getting a crack at it.

princefielder28
07-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Who do you guys think will be the KR/PR? I wouldn't mind seeing Brandon getting a crack at it.

David Clowney

Football Fan
07-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Dont know, but the competiton will be pretty intense. Special teams will be interesting with all the new faces.

nbarnett56
07-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Dont know, but the competiton will be pretty intense. Special teams will be interesting this year.

Yes it will.

Ryan is probably the only guy who won't likely lose his job.

If I had to guess I'd say:

Punter = Ryan

Kicker = Crosby. I like Rayner but he is a bit inconsistant and really seemed to struggle later in the season. Crosby has a little stronger leg which I think will give us more of an opportunity to score points.

Kick returner = Clowney. I think that this will be his biggest chance to make an impact early on in the season. Robinson will likely take over both return roles when he returns. This could also be Herron, Ferguson, Jennings, or Jackson as well. Unless Herron or Ferguson gets cut. I hate the idea of Jenning or Jackson seeing both will be vital players this year. If either of them go down it would be bad.

Punt returner = James Jones. He has sure hands which will be key to this winner. Clowney has the speed but I have some concerns about his ability to hang onto the ball in traffic. I don't think that Woodson will play special teams this year which is definetly a good thing. We need him 100% healthy all year.

TitleTown088
07-06-2007, 02:47 PM
I read that Clowney looked really shaky with his reps at kick and punt return.

nbarnett56
07-06-2007, 03:31 PM
I read that Clowney looked really shaky with his reps at kick and punt return.

No, I think it was that in the group of return men, everyone dropped one kick except Blackmon.

mqtirishfan
07-06-2007, 08:46 PM
USA Today actually has Peyton Manning above Favre already?

princefielder28
07-07-2007, 07:53 AM

They're idiots

Football Fan
07-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Clearly they are incuding inticipated accomplishments over the rest of Mannings career such as consecutive game streak, passing records, possible superbowls etc...
Which is completely B.S.. You cant credit someone for accomplishments that havent even happened. Mannings game could drop off at any time, nobody knows what he is going to do in his future years. What happens if there offensive line falls apart in a couple years or they lose marvin harrison or Manninig goes down or they lose ther running game.... The packers team has been on a slow decline since there second superbowl and favres stats have also been on the decline as the talent level on the team has dropped off dramatically. These "sports journalists" some how believe Manning is immune to this? Bah, rediculous. Its almost like rating calvin johnson as one of the best receivers in the league. As of today Favres career is still way better than Mannings, If Manning continues at the current pace he will deserve the ranking and it should be much higher yet. Still I wonder how Favres career would have been if he had Harrison, Wayne, a running game and a decent tight end over the last 5 years. Hell I would pick the packers for this years superbowl with that team. I seriously question the qualifications of the usa today sports writers. There must be better qualified football journalists out there that a well funded newspaper could find.

TitleTown088
07-07-2007, 10:27 AM
No, I think it was that in the group of return men, everyone dropped one kick except Blackmon.

I'm pretty sure that I saw an article that specifcally stated they were not impressed with Clowney's returning and that he had drops.

TitleTown088
07-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Boy, that Super Bowl was great, but I want to chase it next year or the next two years and let the past speak for itself.

http://www.railbirdcentral.com/

TitleTown088
07-08-2007, 11:46 PM
I just heard Barbre signed but I cannot find a link. Anyone else know about this?

Hawk
07-09-2007, 12:54 AM
I just heard Barbre signed but I cannot find a link. Anyone else know about this?

http://packers.scout.com/2/657165.html

princefielder28
07-09-2007, 09:36 AM
http://packers.scout.com/2/657165.html

I'm a big fan of that selection

nbarnett56
07-09-2007, 03:14 PM
The Packers and fourth-round draft choice Allen Barbre agreed to terms Friday on a four-year deal worth roughly $2.1 million.

The team confirmed the signing in a press release Monday. Terms were not disclosed, but an NFL source with knowledge of the contract's value said it's "within a couple of thousand dollars" of the four-year, $2.103 million deal signed last month by Carolina Panthers receiver Ryne Robinson, who was selected one pick ahead of Barbre at No. 118 overall.

The deal is structured similarly to the four-year, $2.0435 million deal the Packers gave fourth-round pick Will Blackmon a year ago, the source said. Blackmon, selected 115th overall, received a signing bonus of $433,500.

Barbre's agent, Drew Pittman, confirmed the signing but declined to provide contract details.

PACKmanN
07-09-2007, 03:33 PM
I heard that Jarrett Bush was training with Chad Johnson this offseason and thought Bush alot of things.

Pack_Attack_4
07-09-2007, 03:34 PM
With all the WR we hav whos gonna get cut?
Driver and Jennings r locked in the #1 and 2 spot Jones willl make the team for sure but after that its up for grabs. Martin,Fergy,Clowny,Holliday, plus
K rob is commin back after 4 games, i see Fergy and Holliday getting the axe.

PACKmanN
07-09-2007, 03:44 PM
With all the WR we hav whos gonna get cut?
Driver and Jennings r locked in the #1 and 2 spot Jones willl make the team for sure but after that its up for grabs. Martin,Fergy,Clowny,Holliday, plus
K rob is commin back after 4 games, i see Fergy and Holliday getting the axe.

Ferguson cut and Holiday will be moved to the practice squad.

Driver
Jennings
Robinson
Jones
Martin
Clowney

GB12
07-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Ferguson and Holiday will be moved to the practice squad.

Driver
Jennings
Robinson
Jones
Martin
Clowney
Ferguson won't go on the practice squad. Either someone else will sign him or he'll stay a FA all year. I doubt he would take a PS offer.

TitleTown088
07-09-2007, 03:59 PM
I think you guys are sleepign on Holiday. I have been hearing from many reporters that the coaches are actually very impressed with him and say he may have the best hand on the team.

PackerLegend
07-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Holiday looked good in the Bears game last season

princefielder28
07-09-2007, 04:52 PM
I think you guys are sleepign on Holiday. I have been hearing from many reporters that the coaches are actually very impressed with him and say he may have the best hand on the team.

he only has one hand? :)

neko4
07-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Fergie gets cut and Holiday goes to PS, but with our luck we'll see plenty of him in the later weeks of the year.

neko4
07-09-2007, 05:12 PM

where is that article?

nbarnett56
07-09-2007, 06:02 PM

Yes but is there room for him? I guess the way I look at it is who will make the greater impact for us. We know what Driver can do, we've seen what Jennings is capable of doing, we also spent a 3rd round pick on Jones for a reason, Martin has rare size for a WR which creates mis-matches, Clowney is a burner but a bit raw. I like Holiday but in the end I think he's one of the odd med out.

jackalope
07-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Packers added Carl-Johan Bjork, a Sweedish player, to their Practice Squad. However, he won't count as one of the 8 players.

http://packers.com/news/releases/2007/07/09/3/

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 12:23 AM
Yes but is there room for him? I guess the way I look at it is who will make the greater impact for us. We know what Driver can do, we've seen what Jennings is capable of doing, we also spent a 3rd round pick on Jones for a reason, Martin has rare size for a WR which creates mis-matches, Clowney is a burner but a bit raw. I like Holiday but in the end I think he's one of the odd med out. Oh, I agree. I don't expect him to make the team either, because of the lack of roster room. but it's just what I have been reading. Apparently the coaches are quit enamored with the kid and his athleticism.

Football Fan
07-10-2007, 01:44 AM
Ferguson cut and Holiday will be moved to the practice squad.

Driver
Jennings
Robinson
Jones
Martin
ClowneyI agree with this unless martin goes to the practice squad and holiday makes the team. Maybe send martin or holiday (which ever plays worse) to the practice squad once robinson returns. Either way I want holiday to be a packer, he looked pretty damn good for having very little practice last year.
I just cant see fergusen making the team even if he was the best special team player out of a pretty bad group.

princefielder28
07-10-2007, 12:00 PM
I agree with this unless martin goes to the practice squad and holiday makes the team. Maybe send martin or holiday (which ever plays worse) to the practice squad once robinson returns. Either way I want holiday to be a packer, he looked pretty damn good for having very little practice last year.
I just cant see fergusen making the team even if he was the best special team player out of a pretty bad group.

saying the Ferguson was the best special teamer is like saying Brad Johnson was the best QB last year for Minnesota

Football Fan
07-10-2007, 01:24 PM
saying the Ferguson was the best special teamer is like saying Brad Johnson was the best QB last year for Minnesota
The Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that Packers coach Mike McCarthy is planning to have WR Robert Ferguson, who suffered a Lisfranc injury to his foot last year, on his team in 2007. "I look for him to compete to be the (No.) 2 or the (No.) 3 (receiver)," said McCarthy. "I really need him to step up and be a core player on special teams, because I think he has the ability to be a Pro Bowl-type player in that area. He has a unique body type for a receiver. He's a tough son of a gun. He can do a lot of things with his body type on special teams."
(Updated 03/29/2007).
I think I get your point, still....Though he basically didnt play much last year, concidering the the packers 32nd ranked special team unit his ability and veteran leadership was certainly missed. I could dig up more statements about his value to the special teams unit, but I have to go to work soon.
I still think its time to move on from Fergusen though, after 6 years I expect more than a good special teamer.

Nitschke-Hawk
07-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Packers added Carl-Johan Bjork, a Sweedish player, to their Practice Squad. However, he won't count as one of the 8 players.

http://packers.com/news/releases/2007/07/09/3/

Hilarious, this takes the cake and adds to Ted's "bargain bin/nobody's ever heard of this guy" reputation even more. Although I disagree with people who believe that. Just saying that they'll love this signing.

nbarnett56
07-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Hilarious, this takes the cake and adds to Ted's "bargain bin/nobody's ever heard of this guy" reputation even more. Although I disagree with people who believe that. Just saying that they'll love this signing.

Thompson didn't sign him. Its part of the NFL International Development Practice Squad Program, which is ran by the NFL. The Packers were 1 of 11 teams to recieve a player.

There are the players that were put on different teams:

RB Jermaine Allen, Chicago, UK
WR Marvin Allen, Miami, UK
LB Carl-Johan Bjork, Green Bay, Sweden
LB Eduardo Castaneda, Houston, Mexico
T Seppo Ewvaraye, Minnesota, Finland
T Samuel Gutekunst, Jacksonville, Germany
DE Ben Ishola, Indianapolis, Germany
WR Iiro Luoto, N.Y. Jets, Finland
DT Salomon Solano, Detroit, Mexico
DE Daniel Watts, Buffalo, UK
DE Ulrich Winkler, Tennessee, Germany

Nitschke-Hawk
07-10-2007, 01:29 PM
The Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that Packers coach Mike McCarthy is planning to have WR Robert Ferguson, who suffered a Lisfranc injury to his foot last year, on his team in 2007. "I look for him to compete to be the (No.) 2 or the (No.) 3 (receiver)," said McCarthy. "I really need him to step up and be a core player on special teams, because I think he has the ability to be a Pro Bowl-type player in that area. He has a unique body type for a receiver. He's a tough son of a gun. He can do a lot of things with his body type on special teams."
(Updated 03/29/2007).

Maybe he's seeing something we're not.

princefielder28
07-10-2007, 01:30 PM
(Updated 03/29/2007).

That was before the draft

PACKmanN
07-10-2007, 02:49 PM

yeah the date on March and the draft was on April.

Pack_Attack_4
07-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Fregy Changed his number form 89 to 87 this year so lets hope he can change the way he plays and lives up to the 2nd round draft choice we used on his 6 years ago.

nbarnett56
07-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Fregy Changed his number form 89 to 87 this year so lets hope he can change the way he plays and lives up to the 2nd round draft choice we used on his 6 years ago.

Yeah it will be weird to watch #89 ACTUALLY catch a pass this year!!!! :D

James Jones is now #89

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Don't forget who gave up that 2nd rounder. After all, it's not like it was a Ted Thompson second round selection.

Pack_Attack_4
07-10-2007, 03:46 PM
U guys think will do ne thing in this years suplement draft?
I wouldent mind giving up a 3rd or 4th for Paul Oliver.

nbarnett56
07-10-2007, 03:54 PM
U guys think will do ne thing in this years suplement draft?
I wouldent mind giving up a 3rd or 4th for Paul Oliver.

I'm fairly certain that we won't even summitt any picks for any players. The reason being is that when you select a player from the supplemental draft, you have to sign him using the same amount of rookie pool money that you are slotted with from your picks in the April draft.

We already are pretty tight to get 11 guys signed with our rookie pool. Unless its a late round pick, we would likely have a tough time getting everyone signed.

The only prospect worth while to us IMO is Gaither. But that would likely cost us a 3rd round pick.

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 03:58 PM

The only prospect worth while to us IMO is Gaither. But that would likely cost us a 3rd round pick.
Yeah, that tackle who will likely weigh in around 340-250 will fit the ZBS perfectly....

neko4
07-10-2007, 04:29 PM
I hope we make a move on Oliver. Let him compete for the Nickel spot this year and then 2-3 years down the line he would be a great starter

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 04:33 PM
I don't think anyone posted this before... but apparently ocho cinco is helping out Bush.

http://railbirdcentral.blogspot.com/

Green Bay Packers reserve cornerback Jarrett Bush has been practicing and learning from Cincinnati Bengals Pro Bowl receiver Chad Johnson this offseason in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Bush told The Reporter, "It's just the name itself. He's a Pro Bowler. It was a learning experience when he came by. I learned so much more with him within those two hours we worked out than sometimes what I learned in three, four or five months from another time. He just went into so much detail and cleared up a lot of things. He taught me what a wide receiver thinks about and what the corner has to think about."

Bush is in the running to become the Packers' nickel back, which is a critical role for any team as the nickel back plays almost as much as a starter.

Charles Woodson and Al Harris are entrenched as the starters, but the backup jobs are up for grabs. Bush will be competing with fellow cornerbacks Patrick Dendy, Will Blackmon, and Frank Walker for the nickel and dime defenses.

"I've got the ability," Bush is quoted as saying. "I know I can play. I'm trying to get more time on defense, a little here and there, getting more reps. I want to get that nickel spot and contribute to the team. Only time will tell. I've got to keep pounding, keep working, keep practicing over and over and over and over until I really start excelling."

Packer fans will, no doubt, run with Bush's quote that he learned more from Chad Johnson in two hours than he learned in up to five months otherwise. Does this mean that Bush isn't learning anything from Packers defensive backs coach and popular whipping post Kurt Schottenheimer?

nbarnett56
07-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah, that tackle who will likely weigh in around 340-250 will fit the ZBS perfectly....

He actually already weighed in around 325 lbs. Chad Clifton weighs 320 lbs. Gaither also ran, I believe, the 5th fastest forty time in this years draft class. I suggest doing some research before re-butting. ;)

nbarnett56
07-10-2007, 06:02 PM
I hope we make a move on Oliver. Let him compete for the Nickel spot this year and then 2-3 years down the line he would be a great starter

I think this kid has major questions. He didn't test out well and he is only know for what, "shutting down Calvin Johnson?" I mean come on, Reggie Ball was the one throwing the ball to Johnson. His speed translates into being a cover 2 CB or a safety. I just don't think he could run with NFL WRs.

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 06:39 PM
He actually already weighed in around 325 lbs. Chad Clifton weighs 320 lbs. Gaither also ran, I believe, the 5th fastest forty time in this years draft class. I suggest doing some research before re-butting. ;)

OK ;). From a writer who covers the Packers for a living... TOM PELISSERO: The thing with Gaither is his weight. Unless the Packers believe he can keep it around 320 -- he's been listed at times at as much as 350 pounds -- there's no way he'd fit in the zone blocking scheme. Plus, a team that likes oversized tackles probably will turn in a second- or third-round card on him.

nbarnett56
07-10-2007, 06:50 PM
OK ;). From a writer who covers the Packers for a living...

Thanks, he actually agrees with me, lol. He said if he can keep his weight down around 320 lbs. Well he weighed in at 325 lbs. Plus like I said, he ran the 5th fastest forty time of ALL the Olineman in this years draft class and he still have some good agility times as well. You can be big, but you have to be able to move around. Ala Kevin Barry.

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks, he actually agrees with me, lol. He said if he can keep his weight down around 320 lbs. Well he weighed in at 325 lbs. Plus like I said, he ran the 5th fastest forty time of ALL the Olineman in this years draft class and he still have some good agility times as well. You can be big, but you have to be able to move around. Ala Kevin Barry.

How is this agreeing with you? there's no way he'd fit in the zone blocking scheme

nbarnett56
07-11-2007, 08:13 AM
How is this agreeing with you?
Your the one who posted it. Can't you read? lol

Unless the Packers believe he can keep it around 320

Well he weighed in at 324 lbs which is around 320 lbs.

Football Fan
07-11-2007, 09:36 AM
How does the fact that the article quoting Mike McCarthy saying Ferguson may be a potential prowl bowl special teamer is a predraft article change anything? Somehow drafting a bunch of unproven rookies that have never played a down in the nfl makes Ferguson a lesser special teams player ? ?
I think Ferguson has had his chance to prove himself as a receiver for the packers and its time to move on, but that hardly takes away from his ability on special teams to run down opposition returners or return kickoffs and punts.

nbarnett56
07-11-2007, 09:43 AM
You said: "The only prospect worth while to us IMO is Gaither. But that would likely cost us a 3rd round pick".
Tom Pelissero, the man who wrote the article said " there's no way he'd fit in the zone blocking scheme."

No, he didn't say that. He said unless the Packers feel he can keep his weight down around 320 lbs he wouldn't fit in the zone blocking scheme. Gaither weighed in at 324 lbs.

Football Fan
07-11-2007, 10:15 AM
No, he didn't say that. He said unless the Packers feel he can keep his weight down around 320 lbs he wouldn't fit in the zone blocking scheme. Gaither weighed in at 324 lbs.
He is saying it in a very sceptical way, meaning he will have a continuous tendecy to put on to much weight, although I cant prove that so I deleted my statement to avoid the controversy.

nbarnett56
07-11-2007, 11:06 AM
He is saying it in a very sceptical way, meaning he will have a continuous tendecy to put on to much weight, although I cant prove that so I deleted my statement to avoid the controversy.

I know what he meant.

neko4
07-11-2007, 12:09 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ag5ctRTTINh.4eoDcjWksrhDubYF?slug=jm-updatedsupplementalprospects071007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Only guys im slightly intrested in are Donta Moore and Mark Washington
But Moore doesnt sound like a great coverage S

nbarnett56
07-11-2007, 12:15 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ag5ctRTTINh.4eoDcjWksrhDubYF?slug=jm-updatedsupplementalprospects071007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Only guys im slightly intrested in are Donta Moore and Mark Washington
But Moore doesnt sound like a great coverage S

Moore would be interesting but with Underwood, Rouse, and Culver competing at safety I'd pretty much rule him out. Unless he can play CB.

I also don't think that we'd take another LB with Washington. Barnett, Hawk, and Poppinga makes for a great LB corps. Hodge is an above average backup and we just drafted Bishop.

nbarnett56
07-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Seahawks released CB Rich Gardner who was a 3rd round pick in the 2004 draft. Might be a TT type of pickup.

princefielder28
07-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Seahawks released CB Rich Gardner who was a 3rd round pick in the 2004 draft. Might be a TT type of pickup.

Wouldn't be suprised at all if he was brought in

PACKmanN
07-12-2007, 11:09 AM
IMO, I don't understand why you guys are caring about Gaithers.

Futre o-line
LT- Daryn Colledge
LG- Jason Spitz
C- Scott Wells
RG- Allen Barbre
RT- Tony Moll

Thats pretty solid if Allen Barbre develops right.

nbarnett56
07-12-2007, 11:14 AM
IMO, I don't understand why you guys are caring about Gaithers.

Futre o-line
LT- Daryn Colledge
LG- Jason Spitz
C- Scott Wells
RG- Allen Barbre
RT- Tony Moll

Thats pretty solid if Allen Barbre develops right.

Switch around your guards.

nbarnett56
07-12-2007, 11:31 AM
It’s draft day, but where’s Mel Kiper and his hair?
The NFL’s annual supplemental draft is today (Thursday), and according to Scout.com’s Tony Pauline and Adam Caplan, the Packers are “considering using a late-round pick” on former Florida State defensive tackle Clifton Dickson.

http://packers.scout.com/2/658088.html

ny10804
07-12-2007, 11:47 AM
We could use another DT...

nbarnett56
07-12-2007, 11:50 AM
We could use another DT...

It would be good insurance if Corey Williams leaves next year. Probably be the end of Colin Cole or Johnny Jolly if we do take him.

PACKmanN
07-12-2007, 11:56 AM
It’s draft day, but where’s Mel Kiper and his hair?
The NFL’s annual supplemental draft is today (Thursday), and according to Scout.com’s Tony Pauline and Adam Caplan, the Packers are “considering using a late-round pick” on former Florida State defensive tackle Clifton Dickson.

http://packers.scout.com/2/658088.html

I think Colin Cole is a free agent too after this season and if this guy does great he can back up Pickett and we wouldst need to overpay Cole or Williams.

nbarnett56
07-12-2007, 12:01 PM
I think Colin Cole is a free agent too after this season and if this guy does great he can back up Pickett and we wouldst need to overpay Cole or Williams.
Cole is a restricted free agent after the season. I don't even personally see any value in Cole at this point. Williams is showing signs of becoming a good pass rusher. Signing him long term isn't key but you can never have enough good DTs.

jackalope
07-12-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't see why we need another DT. We have great depth there already.

princefielder28
07-12-2007, 01:05 PM
I don't see why we need another DT. We have great depth there already.

There's no way we bring in another DT. We already have 4 that can start.

PACKmanN
07-12-2007, 01:20 PM
There's no way we bring in another DT. We already have 4 that can start.

But he has better upside then Cole and Jolly.

princefielder28
07-12-2007, 01:39 PM
But he has better upside then Cole and Jolly.

Pickett, Harrell, Williams, and Cole is plenty

Pack_Attack_4
07-12-2007, 02:23 PM
i saw this on PFT.com and thought it was worth a post (even tho PFT is wrong 90% of the time)

PACKERS EYEBALLING L.J.

A couple of weeks ago, former Packers linebacker George Koonce hinted on his way out of a front office job with the team that the Pack could be making a significant acquisition on offense.

The player in question could be Chiefs running back Larry Johnson.

WTMJ in Milwaukee reports that the Packers are "keeping a very close eye" on Johnson's situation. With one year remaining on his Kansas City contract, at a salary of $1.7 million, Johnson has made it clear that he wants a new contract before he endures another 400-carry season. The Chiefs discreetly dangled their Johnson (we couldn't resist) prior to the draft, but found no takers.

The problem is that anyone who wants L.J. will have to satisfy his contractual demands, and bow to the trade expectations of G.M. Carl Peterson. We think that, at a minimum, it'll take $25 million in guaranteed money to make Johnson happy, and a first-round pick and a third-round pick to get the Chiefs to bite.

If Johnson was worth that kind of a total investment, the Chiefs would be making it.

The reality here is that Johnson already has a lot of miles on the tires, and that it's still unclear whether Johnson is a truly great running back. Also, the fact that he carries the ball a lot puts him at greater risk of the kind of injury that would make the investment in his services look foolish in hindsight.

Absent a trade, there could be a nasty and protracted holdout. Johnson and Peterson have heads of solid rock, and we could envision both sides digging in, even if it's in no one's best interests to do so.

nbarnett56
07-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Arghh... again with this LJ talk. Unless we package players i.e. KGB, Corey Williams, Ferguson, Hodge, ect... I just don't see us making a move for him. He will turn 28 years old this year and wants a huge contract. I don't see TT willing to give up a high pick or multiple picks for him. Hell, I don't even see how Larry Johnson would fit well into the zone blocking scheme.

GB12
07-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Arghh... again with this LJ talk. Unless we package players i.e. KGB, Corey Williams, Ferguson, Hodge, ect... I just don't see us making a move for him. He will turn 28 years old this year and wants a huge contract. I don't see TT willing to give up a high pick or multiple picks for him. Hell, I don't even see how Larry Johnson would fit well into the zone blocking scheme.

It if was ever going to happen it would have been before the draft. No chance now.

nbarnett56
07-12-2007, 02:58 PM
It if was ever going to happen it would have been before the draft. No chance now.

I doubted it then and I will doubt it again. Denver has put 7th round and undrafted RBs in the zone blocking scheme and had success. We don't need to give up high draft picks and and a ton of money for a power RB.

umphrey
07-12-2007, 03:02 PM
The Packers don't seem to be looking for a high priced RB anyway, they seem to want to rely on scheme. Also with all the draft picks we would have to give up, I couldn't think of a move TT would be less likely to make.

PACKmanN
07-12-2007, 07:12 PM
This guy turns 28 this season and he can turn in what Walker did for Denver. I say give him a shot and give him a 6 year contract worth 70-80 million.

Hawk
07-13-2007, 01:39 AM
People say that his legs are still young but I disagree. He had a 2000 yd season in 2002, then back to back 1700 yd seasons. That's quite a bit of wear for a bruising back like LJ. But still I would like to have him on the team. Not for a long term deal tho, maybe 3-4. He should be able to produce at least 2 more solid seasons and we need all the help we can get.

nbarnett56
07-13-2007, 08:11 AM
This guy turns 28 this season and he can turn in what Walker did for Denver. I say give him a shot and give him a 6 year contract worth 70-80 million.

You don't need to pay him that much money to run in the zone blocking scheme. Take a look at the past Bronco's RBs and you'll hopefully see that.

People say that his legs are still young but I disagree. He had a 2000 yd season in 2002, then back to back 1700 yd seasons. That's quite a bit of wear for a bruising back like LJ. But still I would like to have him on the team. Not for a long term deal tho, maybe 3-4. He should be able to produce at least 2 more solid seasons and we need all the help we can get.

He isn't stupid. He wants to be paid NOW because he knows he could break down with all the carries he has. He won't sign a 3-4 year deal. Look at all the other RBs that had 375+ carries a season. They flamed out the year after. Jamal Lewis hasn't been the same since he had his 2000 yard season.

Badger_Fan
07-13-2007, 09:02 PM

Giving a guy a shot is paying them virtually no money, a 6 year deal for 70-80 million is a guarantee's salary.

johbur
07-14-2007, 03:18 AM
I'm for LJ on the team, but then again I would have liked TT to have taken Paul Oliver with a third, so what the hell do I know? I'd like to see a couple components added that would add some punch. Herron, Jackson and Morency not too scary, but I'm hoping they're solid.

Football Fan
07-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Damn it, I need more packer news. Baseball just isnt cutting it, but at least with the brewers leading there division it helps some.

princefielder28
07-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Damn it, I need more packer news. Baseball just isnt cutting it, but at least with the brewers leading there division it helps some.

There's been no Packers' news all offseason

Football Fan
07-15-2007, 12:07 PM
There's been no Packers' news all offseason
Which is making this off season feel like one of the longest I can remember and it sucks, because I like football a lot more than baseball. At least we dont have to read about any packers getting suspended or getting in any serious trouble. I just hope the brewers can stay in front of the cubs to keep me happy till training camp begins.

princefielder28
07-15-2007, 05:32 PM
We are only one of two team forums that have over 10,000 post. Dallas leads with over 12,000.

Moses
07-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Don't worry...

Training Camp is starting soon! Can't wait.

princefielder28
07-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Don't worry...

Training Camp is starting soon! Can't wait.

So pumped for football season it's not even funny. It seems like an eternity since anything with the Packers has happened.

The Legend
07-15-2007, 09:07 PM
reading a http://www.faketeams.com/story/2007/7/13/123938/290

hes says
Brandon Jackson
2008 1st Round
2009 2nd Round

haha doesnt that just sound crazy

Football Fan
07-15-2007, 09:50 PM
reading a http://www.faketeams.com/story/2007/7/13/123938/290

hes says
Brandon Jackson
2008 1st Round
2009 2nd Round

haha doesnt that just sound crazy
HAHAHA, no way. A first and 2 2nds + a 12 million dollar per year contract for a guy with maybe 5 years left is rediculous. I think the guy that came up with this trade must be smoking crack. Thanks for the laugh though. I would like to have L.J. on the team, but not at that price.
This is a more legitimate article about the Larry Johnson situation.
http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2455

Football Fan
07-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Damn cubs won again. Now they got 4 easy games in a row aganst the giants. Looks like the brewers division 3.5 game lead might be getting slimmer.

Football Fan
07-16-2007, 01:50 AM
I hope the o-line wont be needing all the extra help this season, the offense was hindered quite a bit last year do to losing potential receiving options.

Football Fan
07-16-2007, 03:09 AM
Bah, the list could be better as usual.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7024980?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Football Fan
07-16-2007, 03:30 AM
Interesting analysis and ranking of where he believes players are at on the depth chart:
http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2448

Football Fan
07-16-2007, 04:41 AM
We are only one of two team forums that have over 10,000 post. Dallas leads with over 12,000.Well I just added a bunch more.

nbarnett56
07-16-2007, 07:32 AM
HAHAHA, no way. A first and 2 2nds + a 12 million dollar per year contract for a guy with maybe 5 years left is rediculous. I think the guy that came up with this trade must be smoking crack. Thanks for the laugh though. I would like to have L.J. on the team, but not at that price.
This is a more legitimate article about the Larry Johnson situation.
http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2455

On that article, the reason why they are lowballing him is because they also have to sign DE Jared Allen long term. They can't afford to keep both players.

As far as LJ on the Packers, why? We don't need him. You don't pay a guy LT-type money to run in the zone blocking scheme. Its just stupid as so are these trade rumors. It won't happen so don't get your hopes up.

someone447
07-16-2007, 08:02 AM
On that article, the reason why they are lowballing him is because they also have to sign DE Jared Allen long term. They can't afford to keep both players.

As far as LJ on the Packers, why? We don't need him. You don't pay a guy LT-type money to run in the zone blocking scheme. Its just stupid as so are these trade rumors. It won't happen so don't get your hopes up.

Which two running backs have had the most success in Denver? Clinton Portis and Terrell Davis. Is it just a coincidence that they are far and away the best running backs that they have had? No, of course it isn't. LJ instantly makes our running game better. We are so far under the salary cap that it doesn't even matter. Frontload his contract like TT did for Woodson, and there is almost no risk. Of course, I wouldn't do it for a 1,2 and Jackson, but if we can get him for a reasonable price, a large salary is no problem for us.

nbarnett56
07-16-2007, 08:17 AM
Which two running backs have had the most success in Denver? Clinton Portis and Terrell Davis. Is it just a coincidence that they are far and away the best running backs that they have had? No, of course it isn't. LJ instantly makes our running game better. We are so far under the salary cap that it doesn't even matter. Frontload his contract like TT did for Woodson, and there is almost no risk. Of course, I wouldn't do it for a 1,2 and Jackson, but if we can get him for a reasonable price, a large salary is no problem for us.

Portis was a 2nd round pick and Davis was a 7th round pick. Your talking about giving up a 1st round pick, plus additional picks, plus you have to sign him to a HUGE contract. Thats just stupid considering the system. Look at how many RBs Denver has succeeded with in the last 10 years. Your not going to get him at a reasonable price, he wants LT-type money! He isn't stupid - unlike some of the people here....

princefielder28
07-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Portis was a 2nd round pick and Davis was a 7th round pick. Your talking about giving up a 1st round pick, plus additional picks, plus you have to sign him to a HUGE contract. Thats just stupid considering the system. Look at how many RBs Denver has succeeded with in the last 10 years. Your not going to get him at a reasonable price, he wants LT-type money! He isn't stupid - unlike some of the people here....

Mike Anderson was another big time success in Denver along with Olandis Gary

nbarnett56
07-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Mike Anderson was another big time success in Denver along with Olandis Gary

Exactally. Its the sysyem. You can pay a guy alot less to accomplish the same job. You don't need a Larry Johnson or even a Marshawn Lynch for that matter. Its a one cut system so you need an agile RB. Johnson is more of a power RB. While I do believe he could have the same success in Green Bay, it would be foolish to trade top picks and dish out a ton of money to get him.

Also, when you look at Clinton Portis, he has the size/speed ratio which makes his succeed in any system. But even then if you compare his numbers in 2 years in Washington to those first 2 years in Denver you'd see this:

He's averaging 347.5 carries and 1415.5 yards per year in Washington with 16 TDs.

He averaged 281.5 carries and 1549.5 yards per year in Denver with 29 TDs.

Less carries, more yardage.

Football Fan
07-16-2007, 11:19 AM
As I have said I wouldnt pay the silly asking price as far as the trade goes, but hell yes I would love to see L.J. on with the packers. The packers offense is going to need the help big time this year and I dont care about system or anything else, Larry Johnson would be a big improvement to our running game. I think the packers could potentially reach 10 wins with him. That said, I could probably be convinced to give up next years 1st for him.
Anyone who has ever played fantasy football knows about the success of denvers running backs and there system. I personally have been picking running backs from that team even before Terrel Davis was there, although that is when the running back numbers took off. The system does provide the ability to have lower priced running backs do well and that part I really like about it.
Still, in my opinion Larry Johnson is a lock as a stud, a better back than portis and would succeed anywhere, its even possible that L.J.s numbers would go up in the zone blocking system. For me on the packers as I have always said, its all about winning and I believe the team can do both rebuild and win at the same time. I never have supported the idea that the team must surrender multiple seasons in order to win down the road. I think its one way to do it, but not the only way to do it. That has been my only real gripe on Thompson, although I stand by him for now. At least half of the packer fans feel that way and its not because there all stupid. Calling people stupid to support there own opinion is an arrogant and ignorant assumption. Anyone that has to continually throw that crap into there postings makes a statement about their own intelligence.
Make your point in your posts and the people here can judge for themselves whether they agree or disagree with them, keep the insults out of it.

nbarnett56
07-16-2007, 12:02 PM
I said I wouldnt pay the silly asking price as far as the trade goes, but hell yes I would love to see L.J. on with the packers. The packers offense is going to need the help big time this year and I dont care about system or anything else, Larry Johnson would be a big improvement to this years running game. I think the packers could potentially reach 10 wins with him. That said, I could probably be convinced to give up next years 1st for him. Anyone who has ever played fantasy football knows about the success of denvers running backs and there system. I personally have been picking running backs from that team even before Terrel Davis was there, although that is when the running back numbers took off. Still Larry Johnson is a stud and will succeed anywhere even more than Portis has, its even possible that L.J.s numbers would go up entirely because he would be comming to the zone blocking system. For me on the packers as I have always said, its all about winning and I believe the team can do both rebuild and win at the same time. I never have supported the idea that the team must surrender multiple seasons in order to win down the road. I think its one way to do it, but not the only way to do it. That has been my only real gripe on Thompson. At least half of the packer fans feel that way and its not because there all stupid. Thats would be an arrogant and ignorant assumption from anyone that thinks that.

I don't think anyone was douting the impact he would have on the Packers, just that we'd have to give up alot to get him and pay alot to keep him.

I don't think a team can win and rebuild. If your winning, you simply aren't rebuilding. Personally I like what Ted Thompson is doing so far. I think that we've been spoiled with the success of Favre and the 15 years of winning. Fans just simply can't, sctratch that, WON'T accept losing. Some feel like we owe it to Favre to do anything and everything we can to send him out on a high note. While that sounds all beautiful it's just not going to happen. Thompson isn't going to sacrifice the future for the present and I 100% agree with that.

Your "half of Packers" fans who think that way are simply unrealistic. We were a bad team with no depth who foolishy wasted cap space. Things aren't like that anymore.

And yes, it is stupid to give away high draft picks for a RB that we don't need with the system. Not too mention the top dollar contract we'd need to sign him to in order to make that happen. Keep dreaming you delusional fans... lmao!!

Football Fan
07-16-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't think anyone was douting the impact he would have on the Packers, just that we'd have to give up alot to get him and pay alot to keep him.

I don't think a team can win and rebuild. If your winning, you simply aren't rebuilding. Personally I like what Ted Thompson is doing so far. I think that we've been spoiled with the success of Favre and the 15 years of winning. Fans just simply can't, sctratch that, WON'T accept losing. Some feel like we owe it to Favre to do anything and everything we can to send him out on a high note. While that sounds all beautiful it's just not going to happen. Thompson isn't going to sacrifice the future for the present and I 100% agree with that.

Your "half of Packers" fans who think that way are simply unrealistic. We were a bad team with no depth who foolishy wasted cap space. Things aren't like that anymore.

And yes, it is stupid to give away high draft picks for a RB that we don't need with the system. Not too mention the top dollar contract we'd need to sign him to in order to make that happen. Keep dreaming you delusional fans... lmao!!Like you said the packers have won for 15 years, so I guess that must be your magical number huh? That number is all after the fact hind sight stuff. Who's to say it couldnt have been 20 or more or even 10, 5 or less. We all know teams decline eventually, but that doesnt mean they have to just shut down. I personally think that after the 1 year of 4-12 the packers were ready to start making moves to win like they did the following year.
If the packers had signed guys like moss, mcmichael, Grifith and L.J. maybe some others this year, for all you know the packers could be playing for the superbowl this year and you or I dont know otherwise. The team would still be in good cap shape and at least they would have had a chance. It is also a fact that greenbay will have make larger offers for these guys to play for them. Greenbay is currently not a winning team and these are 25 year old millionaires that are being asked to play in a boring town. Thompson is going to have to accept that part of it also.

The advantage of having a gm like Thompson is his eye for talent. That means he can find bargain guys in the draft and free agency. This in my opinion allows the team to rebuild and compete for championships. Its the benefit of having a good G.M. The reason why some teams take longer to rebuild is that they miss on there early first round selections and they have no cap space. Like wolf I dont think Thompson is going to miss as often as other gms in the draft and like Wolf if he does miss in the first round I think he will do exceptionally well in the later ones. The cap space was only a problem his first year, after that it was the best in the league.

By the way you talk, the team is guaranteed no chance at all for how many years? You tell me whats acceptable, you tell me.. how many 5-6 years before a red flag goes up?
There are other ways to go about managing the team and people have every right to concider and discuss those possisbilities, some wrong some right. A lot of your opinions are based on hindsight no risk and accepting a losing tradition. Your close minded aproach is a very easy one to take and takes far less thought, when losing year after year is not a problem.
Not saying that going out and signing every free agent is the right path, but signing some is certainly a legitimate option worthy of discussion and undeserving of insults intended for ending debate on things you disagree with.

Hawk
07-16-2007, 02:12 PM
for anyone that cares, the 1993 wild card game, Pack vs the Lions is on Nfl network

vintage favre

Football Fan
07-16-2007, 02:16 PM
for anyone that cares, the 1993 wild card game, Pack vs the Lions is on Nfl network

vintage favreThanks, Im going to record it while im at work.

nbarnett56
07-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Like you said the packers have won for 15 years, so I guess that must be your magical number huh? That number is all after the fact hind sight stuff. Who's to say it couldnt have been 20 or more or even 10, 5 or less. We all know teams decline eventually, but that doesnt mean they have to just shut down. I personally think that after the 1 year of 4-12 the packers were ready to start making moves to win like they did the following year.
If the packers had signed guys like moss, mcmichael, Grifith and L.J. maybe some others this year, for all you know the packers could be playing for the superbowl this year and you or I dont know otherwise. The team would still be in good cap shape and at least they would have had a chance. It is also a fact that greenbay will have make larger offers for these guys to play for them. Greenbay is currently not a winning team and these are 25 year old millionaires that are being asked to play in a boring town. Thompson is going to have to accept that part of it also.

The advantage of having a gm like Thompson is his eye for talent. That means he can find bargain guys in the draft and free agency. This in my opinion allows the team to rebuild and compete for championships. Its the benefit of having a good G.M. The reason why some teams take longer to rebuild is that they miss on there early first round selections and they have no cap space. Like wolf I dont think Thompson is going to miss as often as other gms in the draft and like Wolf if he does miss in the first round I think he will do exceptionally well in the later ones. The cap space was only a problem his first year, after that it was the best in the league.

By the way you talk, the team is guaranteed no chance at all for how many years? You tell me whats acceptable, you tell me.. how many 5-6 years before a red flag goes up?
There are other ways to go about managing the team and people have every right to concider and discuss those possisbilities, some wrong some right. A lot of your opinions are based on hindsight no risk and accepting a losing tradition. Your close minded aproach is a very easy one to take and takes far less thought, when losing year after year is not a problem.
Not saying that going out and signing every free agent is the right path, but signing some is certainly a legitimate option worthy of discussion and undeserving of insults intended for ending debate on things you disagree with.

Yes we could have continued to win if Mike Sherman wasn't handed the GM duties. But that isn't rebuilding, its what good teams do. Such as the Eagles. They can draft a guy and afford to stash him away for a year or 2. We couldn't with our lack of depth.

Sure you can sign a bunch of free agents but that can only last so long. Thats also hit and miss. I mean its really working for the Redskins isn't it?

It takes time to retool a team and I feel like overall we have a good foundation to build upon. We have a good, young defense. Our offensive line is starting to solidify. We have a young offense but thats because we lost alot of veteran guys. Our younger guys have stepped up on defense, why shouldn't expect to see the same from guys like Jennings, Jones, Jackson, ect...

Overall I feel that we are at least 2 years away from consistantly being competitive. Depending on Favre's retirement and Rodgers development.

Personally I don't feel like we need to go out and get big name free agents. Yes Moss would have been nice but in the long term it will work out better for Jennings and Jones. Let the young guys play and develop - just like they did in Seattle.

Moses
07-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Packers will make the playoffs within 2 seasons. If not, this rebuilding was a failure. I think this year is a toss-up but next year they should be strong enough to make it. The only wild card is the retirement of Favre and development of Rodgers.

nbarnett56
07-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Packers will make the playoffs within 2 seasons. If not, this rebuilding was a failure. I think this year is a toss-up but next year they should be strong enough to make it. The only wild card is the retirement of Favre and development of Rodgers.

I agree. We have a tough schedule this year plus the offense is very young. I actually think that Favre will hurt the offense the most because it takes him about 4 games to trust a new guy.

Another good draft should put us in very good position. We don't really have any big name free agents to re-sign. I think that Corey Williams is the only one of note (though I'll check later to make sure). I love how we're building up the defense and hopefully Harrell works out for us.

johbur
07-17-2007, 01:49 AM
With the growth of last year's rookie class, I think this team can go 10-6 and be playoff bound. Not so sure about this year's draftees, but the Special Teams should be a lot better, which could account for the two games won.

Football Fan
07-17-2007, 02:18 AM
http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2458

nbarnett56
07-17-2007, 07:34 AM
http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2458

On that article, the part that reads:

The team should be in great shape to sign the players from this years Draft, extend certain current players and possibly dealve into the free agent market if a player is attractive.

Thats not entirely true, as each team has a rookie pool which is a certain ammount of cap to sign your draft picks. The Packers are actually pretty tight with their rookie pool. We have around the same rookie pool number that we did back in 2005 when we had the 24th overall pick.

someone447
07-17-2007, 03:01 PM

I have said that I wouldn't give up an arm and a leg for LJ in a trade, but I would pay him whatever money he wants if we were to get him in a trade for a reasonable price. Our salary cap is in such good shape we could afford to frontload the contract and not have to worry about any future ramifications.

Your problem is that you are using what round they were drafted in to determine how good they are. It is rare to find a talent like TD in the 7th round. Had he not been hurt, he would have been a HOF running back, ANYWHERE, not just in Denver. In case you haven't noticed, when Denver has a stud running back, they do better. Yes, their backs do good regardless, but they don't have seasons like TD and Portis had.

nbarnett56
07-17-2007, 03:08 PM
I have said that I wouldn't give up an arm and a leg for LJ in a trade, but I would pay him whatever money he wants if we were to get him in a trade for a reasonable price. Our salary cap is in such good shape we could afford to frontload the contract and not have to worry about any future ramifications.

Your problem is that you are using what round they were drafted in to determine how good they are. It is rare to find a talent like TD in the 7th round. Had he not been hurt, he would have been a HOF running back, ANYWHERE, not just in Denver. In case you haven't noticed, when Denver has a stud running back, they do better. Yes, their backs do good regardless, but they don't have seasons like TD and Portis had.

He isn't going to sign for a reasonable price though, that the problem. Frontload all you want, the guy want 6-7 years for $80+ million. The Chiefs actually have MORE cap space than we do. Yet why haven't they re-signed him yet? Hmm....

You can't say that Davis would be a good RB anywhere because he never played anywhere other than Denver. He is the same size that Brandon Jackson is, so does that make Jackson a HOF RB or a guy who can succeed anywhere as well? Denver does when when they have a good defense. They run the ball to control the clock.

someone447
07-17-2007, 07:24 PM
He isn't going to sign for a reasonable price though, that the problem. Frontload all you want, the guy want 6-7 years for $80+ million. The Chiefs actually have MORE cap space than we do. Yet why haven't they re-signed him yet? Hmm....

You can't say that Davis would be a good RB anywhere because he never played anywhere other than Denver. He is the same size that Brandon Jackson is, so does that make Jackson a HOF RB or a guy who can succeed anywhere as well? Denver does when when they have a good defense. They run the ball to control the clock.

The contract is of negligible importance. I meant have to give up relatively little in a trade. 6-7 years for 80 million is fine, it is just I wouldn't give anything more than a single first round pick for him.

Just watch TD run, you can say that he will be good anywhere based on how he ran. Just like I can say that Emmit Smith and Barry Sanders wouldn't have been anywhere near as prolific rushers if they had switched teams, their running styles didn't support it. However, TD had a running style that could have played anywhere.

I hate having to say that a packer fan is an idiot, but jesus christ man, read what you just wrote. No where did I say anything about his size being why he was good.

nbarnett56
07-18-2007, 12:40 PM
The contract is of negligible importance. I meant have to give up relatively little in a trade. 6-7 years for 80 million is fine, it is just I wouldn't give anything more than a single first round pick for him.

Just watch TD run, you can say that he will be good anywhere based on how he ran. Just like I can say that Emmit Smith and Barry Sanders wouldn't have been anywhere near as prolific rushers if they had switched teams, their running styles didn't support it. However, TD had a running style that could have played anywhere.

I hate having to say that a packer fan is an idiot, but jesus christ man, read what you just wrote. No where did I say anything about his size being why he was good.

Read what I wrote? Your contridicting yourself every other post. You want LJ but aren't willing to give up picks for him. Then why are you defending bringing him here? No **** I know what his impact would be but that wasn't the point at hand. Your debating over someone you've said you wouldn't even do which is downright hilarious, who's the idiot again? lmao!!

nbarnett56
07-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Only 10 more days until the start of training camp. These rookies have yet to sign:

Justin Harrell
Brandon Jackson
James Jones
Desmond Bishop
Korey Hall
Mason Crosby

The Legend
07-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Only 10 more days until the start of training camp. These rookies have yet to sign:

Justin Harrell
Brandon Jackson
James Jones
Desmond Bishop
Korey Hall
Mason Crosby

i hope Jackson signs soon its very important

nbarnett56
07-18-2007, 02:27 PM
i hope Jackson signs soon its very important

Yeah Jackson, Jones, and Crosby all have legit chances to win starting jobs or be significatly involved this year so they would wise to sign before camp. Harrell isn't as important but I'd like to see him in right away since he was held out of most activities this offseason.

Once 1 of the 6th round picks sign that should knock those 3 guys off. The Jags recently signed Mike Welker who went right after Jones so that should be another easy signing.

someone447
07-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Read what I wrote? Your contridicting yourself every other post. You want LJ but aren't willing to give up picks for him. Then why are you defending bringing him here? No **** I know what his impact would be but that wasn't the point at hand. Your debating over someone you've said you wouldn't even do which is downright hilarious, who's the idiot again? lmao!!

How am I contradicting myself? I never said that I wouldn't give up picks for him, I said I wouldn't give anything more than a first round pick. I have said that since the first time LJ to GB rumors were started, feel free to look WAY back in this thread for that.

You, sir, lack reading comprehension.

The only thing I have said is I would pay LJ anything he wanted if we could get him from the chiefs for a reasonable price(ie a first round pick.)

The Legend
07-19-2007, 03:10 AM
lol anyone think Koren Robinson will be back

nbarnett56
07-19-2007, 09:03 AM
How am I contradicting myself? I never said that I wouldn't give up picks for him, I said I wouldn't give anything more than a first round pick. I have said that since the first time LJ to GB rumors were started, feel free to look WAY back in this thread for that.

You, sir, lack reading comprehension.

The only thing I have said is I would pay LJ anything he wanted if we could get him from the chiefs for a reasonable price(ie a first round pick.)

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Its either one or the other and you're not being realistic with either of your positions. Point is that we are 9 days away from training camp and Larry Johnson will not be a Green Bay Packer so I'm done with this.

Moses
07-19-2007, 09:25 AM
lol anyone think Koren Robinson will be back

I hope not. Packers don't need him.

nbarnett56
07-19-2007, 10:37 AM

I think his main asset will be in the return game. He is cheap and if he can replace a guy with not alot of upside, such as Ruvell Martin, I'd be all for having him back.

Moses
07-19-2007, 10:39 AM
I think his main asset will be in the return game. He is cheap and if he can replace a guy with not alot of upside, such as Ruvell Martin, I'd be all for having him back.

Could be a cancer in the lockerroom. Martin will be lucky to make the squad this year without Robinson coming back.

GB12
07-19-2007, 12:06 PM

I hope he does. As long as he stays out of trouble he is more than decent for a 3rd or 4th WR. Favre seemed to like having him too. In the short time that they were together they formed a connection. It usually takes quite a while for Favre with a new guy. That's been a big part of the problem the past 2 years. Outside of Driver he didn't trust his recievers. If he gets into trouble later we can cut him with out losing much at all. I see know reason to give him a chance besides the roster spot.

jackalope
07-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Could be a cancer in the lockerroom. Martin will be lucky to make the squad this year without Robinson coming back.I was under the impression that Robinson isn't the kind of guy who is a cancer in the locker room, he just had off-field problems, but was a team player. I wouldn't mind having him back.

princefielder28
07-19-2007, 12:50 PM
I was under the impression that Robinson isn't the kind of guy who is a cancer in the locker room, he just had off-field problems, but was a team player. I wouldn't mind having him back.

Robinson would be more of an asset to the team than a hinderance. He has abilities in the return and he'd provide a big target with athletic ability to a receving corp that is very shaky after Driver and Jennings.

princefielder28
07-19-2007, 04:49 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070719/PKR01/70719104/1989

jackalope
07-19-2007, 04:55 PM
9 days until training camp and we still have Harrell, Jackson, Jones, Hall, Bishop, and Crosby to sign. Hopefully we can get a good number of these guys signed, especially Jackson and Jones.

Football Fan
07-20-2007, 01:18 AM
I agree, Robinson is definately an asset to the packers.

Moses
07-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Think of it this way though:

Driver
Jennings
Jones

are all locks to make the team. That's 3.

Clowney will make it barring a terrible performance in training camp and/or off-the-field incidents.

That's 4.

That leaves likely only one more spot. It will be competed for mainly by:
Robert Ferugson :: Very experienced in Packers system, special team asset
Ruvell Martin :: Showed potential last season, stepped up late, and is liked by the coaches
Koren Robinson :: Nice athlete with playmaking ability, special teamer, but is inconsistent and has off-the-field issues
Shaun Bodiford :: Unlikely but could make it as a return specialist. Sure-handed.

tjpackers
07-20-2007, 09:09 AM
packers will go 10-6 if nobody gets hurt and rogers never touches the field
packers d has improved

Pack_Attack_4
07-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Publications showing Packers little respect

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=634232

princefielder28
07-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Publications showing Packers little respect

This team is young, this team lacks a big time superstar outside of Brett Favre, and they have a relatively inexperienced coaching staff, but one thing that is over-looked is how tight knit this team is. Brett Favre has good karma with the offensive line and a terrific relationship with Donald Driver. The defense has a strong front 7 with two studs at corner and a rising playmaker in the secondary in Nick Collins. Unless someone covered the Packers for the entire season they did not get to see how this team matured into a team and physically and mentally improved as well. It cretianly won't come as a suprise to us when the Packers are contending for the playoffs, and it may help that nationally they are not expected to be very successful, but in this city and in the hearts of packers fan this team has that ability to put together a special season in comparison to the last 2 or 3 years.

Football Fan
07-20-2007, 11:49 AM
My prediction for the packers this year is closest to Pro Football Weekly. The packers have a tougher schedule and there offense will be weak again this year. Tight end, runningback, fullback, receiver and kicker are either bad or unproven. Running back has taken a step back and even the o-line constantly needed help last year and we dont know how much that situation has improved. There should be improvement in some areas, but other than Favre and Driver the offense is a complete question mark. Unless an unexpected and notable player is added to the offense before the start of the season. Only because the defense should be real good, I have them winning 6 or 7 games. As part of Thompsons plan, this year again will mostly be spent building continuity and experience for a pretty young team.

Football Fan
07-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Think of it this way though:

Driver
Jennings
Jones

are all locks to make the team. That's 3.

Clowney will make it barring a terrible performance in training camp and/or off-the-field incidents.

That's 4.

That leaves likely only one more spot. It will be competed for mainly by:
Robert Ferugson :: Very experienced in Packers system, special team asset
Ruvell Martin :: Showed potential last season, stepped up late, and is liked by the coaches
Koren Robinson :: Nice athlete with playmaking ability, special teamer, but is inconsistent and has off-the-field issues
Shaun Bodiford :: Unlikely but could make it as a return specialist. Sure-handed.I think Robinson comes back after his suspension and either Martin or Holiday will be sent to the practice squad. The team may keep 6 receivers this year and if they do im not sure Ferguson will be 1 of them, even if they keep 5. (even though Thompson and McCarthy have said they wanted him back)
Other than the 3 locks you mentioned, I guess anything could happen at receiver. Training camp is comming and its going to be very interesting.

jackalope
07-20-2007, 02:56 PM
I think Robinson comes back after his suspension and either Martin or Holiday will be sent to the practice squad. The team may keep 6 receivers this year and if they do im not sure Ferguson will be 1 of them, even if they keep 5. (even though Thompson and McCarthy have said they wanted him back)
Other than the 3 locks you mentioned, I guess anything could happen at receiver. Training camp is comming and its going to be very interesting.I'm in agreement on that.

If anyone is interested, sign ups for the "National Fantasy League" are open until Sunday night.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11351

Pack_Attack_4
07-20-2007, 03:20 PM
This is the way I see the upcomming season going for the Packers.

Week1 vs Philly=W (Countinue to play well like the end of last season and we get a big win against the Eagles)

Week2 @ NYG=W (No Tiki hurts Big Blue and we start the season off 2-0)

Week3 vs Chargers=L (Prolly the best team in the NFL nuff said)

Week4 @ Queens=W (VIKINGS SUCK easy win)

Week5 vs Beras=W (close game but Bears D isnt the same without Briggs)

Week6 vs Redskins=W

Week7 BYE

Week8 @ Denver=L (Favre challenges Champ and throws 2-3ints)

Week9 @ KC=W (No Trent Green,O line not as good, unhappy LJ= Win for GB)

Week10 vs Queens=W (VIKINGS STILL SUCK easy win)

Week11 vs Panthers=L

Week12 @ Detroit=W (Al and C Wood shut down Roy and Calvin)

Week13 @ Dallas=L

Week14 vs Raiders=W (Favre lights up the raiders like he did when thy last plyed)

Week15 @ St Louis=L ( I think it will be hard to stop there O)

Week16 @ Chicago=L ( we go 1-1 vs da bears)

Week17 vs Lions=W (We finish the season 10-6 and Make the playoffs)

princefielder28
07-20-2007, 03:22 PM
I can't argue with that assessment

wiscbadgerfootball
07-20-2007, 03:45 PM
seems reasonable and I'd be happy with it

Hawk
07-20-2007, 04:04 PM
It's plausible

PACKmanN
07-20-2007, 10:47 PM
I don't think STL, Panthers, and Denver would be a lost. STL offense is really overrated McMichael is losing it, Bruce is done, and Burrnett is overrated. Panthers also have problems on the offense that are still not fixed. Denver IMO d-line wont be able to put a pass rush and other then DJ Williams they have no one on the LB position also there FS/SS are garbage.

Hawk
07-20-2007, 10:49 PM
I don't think STL, Panthers, and Denver would be a lost. STL offense is really overrated McMichael is losing it, Bruce is done, and Burrnett is overrated. Panthers also have problems on the offense that are still not fixed. Denver IMO d-line wont be able to put a pass rush and other then DJ Williams they have no one on the LB position also there FS/SS are garbage.

yeah but lets be reasonable here

princefielder28
07-20-2007, 10:58 PM

They do have Champ Bailey and Dre Bly at corner. The last time I checked they have Jim Bates at Defensive Coordinator as well so he'll find a way for the players to get to Favre. He didn't have as much talent in '05 and we were the #1 pass defense.

Football Fan
07-21-2007, 01:29 AM
This is the way I see the upcomming season going for the Packers.

Week1 vs Philly=W (Countinue to play well like the end of last season and we get a big win against the Eagles)

Week2 @ NYG=W (No Tiki hurts Big Blue and we start the season off 2-0)

Week3 vs Chargers=L (Prolly the best team in the NFL nuff said)

Week4 @ Queens=W (VIKINGS SUCK easy win)

Week5 vs Beras=W (close game but Bears D isnt the same without Briggs)

Week6 vs Redskins=W

Week7 BYE

Week8 @ Denver=L (Favre challenges Champ and throws 2-3ints)

Week9 @ KC=W (No Trent Green,O line not as good, unhappy LJ= Win for GB)

Week10 vs Queens=W (VIKINGS STILL SUCK easy win)

Week11 vs Panthers=L

Week12 @ Detroit=W (Al and C Wood shut down Roy and Calvin)

Week13 @ Dallas=L

Week14 vs Raiders=W (Favre lights up the raiders like he did when thy last plyed)

Week15 @ St Louis=L ( I think it will be hard to stop there O)

Week16 @ Chicago=L ( we go 1-1 vs da bears)

Week17 vs Lions=W (We finish the season 10-6 and Make the playoffs)No offense intended of coarse, but if anyone believes this will happen they have their homer glasses on. This is not realistic at all. I love the packers and all that, but I try to be unbiased when I make my predictions otherwise its just worthless feel good junk. Kind of like a mother that tells her kid he or she is so talented at this or that, but she knows shes full of crap.
The prediction listed above is like handing the packers every game that they have a slim chance of winning requiring every bounce to go their way, every call etc. Its not going to happen.
The packer are a 6 or 7 game winner this year, it sounds harsh but it represents the state of the packers and their schedule. The offense is in a major rebuilding mode, the defense is miles ahead. Nobody except a packer fan could or does believe they will win 10 games. If the packers were a 10 game winner type team Thompson would have been signing free agents to try and put the final pieces together in an attempt at a superbowl run. He stayed put this offseason to watch the rookies grow, get some experience, gel and make an asessment of the newer players. Every sports magazine, television football analyst or even Scott Wright can see the packers are almost certain to take a step back recordwise this season. They dont have the potential on their roster to be anything like the surprise New Orleans was last year.

Football Fan
07-21-2007, 02:32 AM
http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2474

princefielder28
07-21-2007, 10:10 AM
http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2474

Hawk was a rookie, Poppinga was a 1st time starter, KGB was still at DE, and Manuel stunk. We have progressed with the new starters and replaced the ones who have not done a good job. We will have a Top 10 defense in the NFL.

Football Fan
07-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Hawk was a rookie, Poppinga was a 1st time starter, KGB was still at DE, and Manuel stunk. We have progressed with the new starters and replaced the ones who have not done a good job. We will have a Top 10 defense in the NFL.Yeah, I think he is just messing with the numbers. I actually didnt even read the wholee thing yet, but I figured I would post it. All I know is I saw what I saw last year and the greenbay defense is good, getting better and another first round pick was spent on it this year. He is right that the defense wasnt that good in the first half though.

PACKmanN
07-21-2007, 02:30 PM
They do have Champ Bailey and Dre Bly at corner. The last time I checked they have Jim Bates at Defensive Coordinator as well so he'll find a way for the players to get to Favre. He didn't have as much talent in '05 and we were the #1 pass defense.

we also had Carroll as a starter and Bates couldn't make something out of him. We also had Woodson and Harris as CB but our FS/SS still gave up the big plays. Also Jim Bates is an Assi not the DC. They still will have problems in areas that can not be fixed with who they have.

Hawk
07-21-2007, 03:09 PM

Don't forget John Lynch

JF4
07-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Hawk was a rookie, Poppinga was a 1st time starter, KGB was still at DE, and Manuel stunk. We have progressed with the new starters and replaced the ones who have not done a good job. We will have a Top 10 defense in the NFL.

I think our defense will be the thing that holds us together this year. I'm not sure the exact sources I've heard this from but i've heard a few people mention that our offense is the strong point and not the defense. I think it's the other way around, are we not returning every starter from our defense from last year? I think last year the main problem with our D was mis-communications and mental errors, the physical ability is there. The D is maturing as a unit and if you look at it on paper our only real weak point would be our safeties and lack of depth at corner.

If 1 player out of Manuel, Underwood or Culver is able to step up and become just an average player, then it will go a long way to improving our pass D. Our D-Line and LB's are the best they've been in years and if we look at the ages of the players in those positions they should only be getting better.

I agree with princefielder28 about our D, I think we will be anywhere from a #5-13 defense next year.

PACKmanN
07-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Don't forget John Lynch

lol he lost so many steps its not even funny.

JF4
07-21-2007, 03:45 PM
lol he lost so many steps its not even funny.

Maybe he has but i'd take him over Manuel, Culver and Underwood.

PACKmanN
07-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Maybe he has but i'd take him over Manuel, Culver and Underwood.

I would take a turtle over Lynch.

Hawk
07-21-2007, 10:49 PM
I would take a turtle over Lynch.

Lynch has made the last 3 Pro Bowls, can any of our safety's say that? Your being quite the homer. Just cause he's a little older doesn't mean he's terrible. For instance, our quarterback.

The Legend
07-21-2007, 11:14 PM
i would take Lynch over and of our safety but for sure he wont come if he does come back it would be his last year in the nfl maybe 2 left

so he would go some where for another ring

Football Fan
07-22-2007, 02:42 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=635830

Football Fan
07-22-2007, 02:43 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070721/PKR01/707210471/1989

the dude
07-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Hey, I never really posted on this board, but i've been around for a couple of years. I'd like to think that I'm the first european packers fan on nfldc

princefielder28
07-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Hey, I never really posted on this board, but i've been around for a couple of years. I'd like to think that I'm the first european packers fan on nfldc

Welcome!!!!

the dude
07-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Welcome!!!!

Thanx a lot, I've been here since the days of keak and such, but I post at another forum so I never really (to say the least ) build a post count at nfldc

princefielder28
07-22-2007, 09:16 PM
With the 15th selection Lawrence Timmons being signed today, it shouldn't be too long before Justin Harrell is signed.

Hawk
07-23-2007, 02:15 AM
With the 15th selection Lawrence Timmons being signed today, it shouldn't be too long before Justin Harrell is signed.

Yeah I saw that he got signed, Harrell should be signed any day now

Pack_Attack_4
07-23-2007, 10:39 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10263285

found this on nfl.com and if u look at the bottm this guys has the packers goin 3-13 last in the league

Football Fan
07-23-2007, 10:56 AM
http://www.madison.com/toolbox/index.php?action=printme2&ref=wsj&storyURL=%2Fwsj%2Fhome%2Fsports%2Findex.php%3Fntid %3D202388%26ntpid%3D1

Football Fan
07-23-2007, 11:47 AM

found this on nfl.com and if u look at the bottm this guys has the packers goin 3-13 last in the leagueI dont like the list, but its just another prediction that shows pro football analysts dont see the packers doing well this year. I dont think I have seen one that has and I agree. The offense is full of unproven players, its going to take time for the offense to develope. It very well could take longer than another year.

The Legend
07-23-2007, 11:56 AM
I dont like the list, but its just another prediction that shows pro football analysts dont see the packers doing well this year. I dont think I have seen one that has and I agree. The offense is full of unproven players, its going to take time for the offense to develope. It could be years.

we shock them last year , and we will shock'em again this year

The Legend
07-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Week1 vs Philly= L

Week2 @ NYG= W

Week3 vs Chargers= L

Week4 @ Vikings = W

Week5 vs Bears= W

Week6 vs Redskins= L

Week7 BYE

Week8 @ Denver= L

Week9 @ KC= W

Week10 vs Vikings= W

Week11 vs Panthers= L

Week12 @ Detroit= W

Week13 @ Dallas= L

Week14 vs Raiders= W

Week15 @ St Louis= L

Week16 @ Chicago= W

Week17 vs Lions= W

"9-7" My Prodictions

Pack_Attack_4
07-23-2007, 04:14 PM
we shock them last year , and we will shock'em again this year

I also think were gona shock'em If our SS who ever it is plays decent will have a pritty solid D, Our LBs r the best theyve been in a while, we got a good rotation on our Dline and our top 2 corners are one of the best deos in the whole league, I think if our O can gell we got a pritty good shot at making a playoff run this year.

PACKmanN
07-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Well its 4 days away what are you guys going to look at the most? I want to see how Nick Collins does, Brandon Jackson, and Aaron Rodgers. If any of you guys go please post information and pictures :) .

neko4
07-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Im definitly gonna wanna know how collins does, but also Aaron Rouse, and whether they move him to OLB

princefielder28
07-23-2007, 05:32 PM
I am really looking forward to see how much Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz have progressed. I think Colledge has a chance to be a sleeper Pro Bowler, and Spitz is very athletic and energetic for the position.

PACKmanN
07-23-2007, 05:32 PM

found this on nfl.com and if u look at the bottm this guys has the packers goin 3-13 last in the league

Its pretty funny how they think that Tenn is going to be 10-6 when they have no one at running back, WR, dline, and LBers.

Aaron Rouse will beat out Manuel and start which would solve our problem. I just hope Poppinga can cover the TEs.

princefielder28
07-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Its pretty funny how they think that Tenn is going to be 10-6 when they have no one at running back, WR, dline, and LBers.

Aaron Rouse will beat out Manuel and start which would solve our problem. I just hope Poppinga can cover the TEs.

Don't forget that Tennessee is weak at CB with some not so notable signings and the drafting of S Michael Griffin to move over to CB

neko4
07-23-2007, 06:21 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-nfcquestions072007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
This was on yahoo

Moses
07-23-2007, 06:24 PM

Rouse will have a tough time beating out both Manuel and Underwood for the starting strong safety spot. He could easily be 3rd on the depth chart.

neko4
07-23-2007, 06:31 PM

that guys a ****ing douchbag, clearly he didnt watch green bay once this year

Moses
07-23-2007, 06:54 PM
I don't know if this has been posted...

Packers signed Mason Crosby, Korey Hall, and Desmond Bishop.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070723/PKR01/70723170/1989

That leaves only Justin Harrell, Brandon Jackson, and James Jones.

neko4
07-23-2007, 06:59 PM
I don't know if this has been posted...

Packers signed Mason Crosby, Korey Hall, and Desmond Bishop.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070723/PKR01/70723170/1989

That leaves only Justin Harrell, Brandon Jackson, and James Jones.

when did we sign rouse?

The Legend
07-23-2007, 07:01 PM
from what im hearing they say Justin should be signed by august 1st

PACKmanN
07-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Don't forget that Tennessee is weak at CB with some not so notable signings and the drafting of S Michael Griffin to move over to CB

Didn't they sign that Harper guy from IND? which means Griffin will move to FS.

I think Underwood should be moved to FS if he unable to beat Manuel or Rouse so we can have a solid guy behind Collins. *Knocking on wood*

Does anyone know If Rouse will change his number because if not I might get his jersey. I remember Jennings and Hodge changing there numbers last season also I want to get a Brandon Jackson jersey and James Jones but I want Jones to wear 81 or 84, that would look sick.

The Legend
07-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Didn't they sign that Harper guy from IND? which means Griffin will move to FS.

I think Underwood should be moved to FS if he unable to beat Manuel or Rouse so we can have a solid guy behind Collins. *Knocking on wood*

Does anyone know If Rouse will change his number because if not I might get his jersey. I remember Jennings and Hodge changing there numbers last season also I want to get a Brandon Jackson jersey and James Jones but I want Jones to wear 81 or 84, that would look sick.

griffin will play nickle

hes not ready to start

i think they are gonna use him as a ST ace

PACKmanN
07-23-2007, 09:58 PM
griffin will play nickle

hes not ready to start

He would he insane as a SS and move Chris Hope back to FS. Tenn DC has lost his mind, theres a reason why he couldn't play CB in college.

PACKmanN
07-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Just a heads up Cory Anderson, FB, Tenn got cut I hope we bring him in.

jackalope
07-23-2007, 10:29 PM
when did we sign rouse?Rouse was signed awhile ago (June 8).

Good new about our 6th rounders.

TitleTown088
07-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Rouse will have a tough time beating out both Manuel and Underwood for the starting strong safety spot. He could easily be 3rd on the depth chart.

I've seen some opinions written by reports who have spoken to packer scouts, these writers are predicting Rouse to win the starting spot. Do I think he'll win it?Is he the favorite? Probably not, but I don't think you can " easily" scratch him in as the third stringer.

neko4
07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
He's very tough I know that, both physicaly and mentally

jackalope
07-24-2007, 12:19 AM
I think the starting SS spot is really anybody's guess as to who wins. I really wouldn't be too surprised to see Underwood, Manuel, or Rouse win it.

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 12:20 AM
I think the starting SS spot is really anybody's guess as to who wins. I really wouldn't be too surprised to see Underwood, Manuel, or Rouse win it.

I'll be happy with anyone not named Marquand Manuel

Moses
07-24-2007, 07:49 AM
I've seen some opinions written by reports who have spoken to packer scouts, these writers are predicting Rouse to win the starting spot. Do I think he'll win it?Is he the favorite? Probably not, but I don't think you can " easily" scratch him in as the third stringer.

I'm just saying that he could just as easily (probably easier actually) the 3rd safety as the 1st safety. He has two guys ahead of him who have already played in this system.

PACKmanN
07-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Can some explain to me what Underwood is so good at? I remember when he was a rookie and replaced Roman and his first play he got beat deep. Whats his upside and low, also who would you guys compare him to?

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Can some explain to me what Underwood is so good at? I remember when he was a rookie and replaced Roman and his first play he got beat deep. Whats his upside and low, also who would you guys compare him to?

Underwood is very talented physically even though he hasn't performed much in the NFL, he played very well against Michigan on a couple occasions when he was at San Diego State. Manuel has shown that he can't be trusted and I would rather see Underwood develop and make mistakes than having Manuel out there.

TitleTown088
07-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't underwood run a 4.37? He's a burner.

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't underwood run a 4.37? He's a burner.

4.38, close enough, as a senior he had 58 tackles, 2 interceptions, and 10 pass deflections

GB12
07-24-2007, 04:55 PM
I wish I had time to answer that. I have to leave soon, but I will when I get back.

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 06:05 PM
I wish I had time to answer that. I have to leave soon, but I will when I get back.

I think your sig says enough :)

jackalope
07-24-2007, 10:04 PM
What's with the poll at the top?

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 10:05 PM
What's with the poll at the top?

Same problem with the NBA discussion thread

princefielder28
07-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Shareholders meeting is today. It's alright to go to becuase you get to hear where all the revenue goes and stuff. Plus the year I went you got to see a practice at Lambeau. Anyone going this year???

Moses
07-25-2007, 08:14 AM
Shareholders meeting is today. It's alright to go to becuase you get to hear where all the revenue goes and stuff. Plus the year I went you got to see a practice at Lambeau. Anyone going this year???

Don't you have to be a shareholder to go?

mil_brew_fan
07-25-2007, 08:31 AM

You have to have gotten a ticket though, I believe.

princefielder28
07-25-2007, 03:31 PM

That is the case, yes

PACKmanN
07-25-2007, 04:26 PM
MJS is reporting that Brandon Jackson signed today. They also said Thompson will get Jones signed by Saturday and Harrell signed soon.

http://packers.com/news/releases/2007/07/25/1/ <<< Brandon Jackson signed. I wonder how long and how much.

The Legend
07-25-2007, 07:45 PM
MJS is reporting that Brandon Jackson signed today. They also said Thompson will get Jones signed by Saturday and Harrell signed soon.

http://packers.com/news/releases/2007/07/25/1/ <<< Brandon Jackson signed. I wonder how long and how much.

Packers signed second-round RB Brandon Jackson to a four-year contract worth over $2.4 million

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4234&line=94475&spln=1

jackalope
07-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Great to hear we got Jackson signed. I like that we're getting our rookies signed quickly now.

TitleTown088
07-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Good thing that rumor about him only wanting a two year contract wasn't true. My favorite pick of the draft signed, nice.

TitleTown088
07-26-2007, 12:32 AM
Check out this prick.I realize he gives some away, but come on. There are sooo many people waiting for season tickets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/22/sports/football/22cheers.html?_r=3&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Football Fan
07-26-2007, 02:30 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=638458

Football Fan
07-26-2007, 02:32 AM
http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2007/07/25/2/
Its nice to see Thompson speaking in depth about his planning and expectations in this article. This is one of the better speaches from Thompson that I have read.

neko4
07-26-2007, 02:43 AM
That improvement creates a trickle-down effect. Some of those young players - like receiver Greg Jennings, linebackers A.J. Hawk and Brady Poppinga, safety Nick Collins and offensive linemen Jason Spitz and Daryn Colledge - are starters, so their improvement should have a direct impact on the team's performance.

If those guys play up to their potential, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind we can make the super bowl

PACKmanN
07-26-2007, 02:46 AM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=202833&ntpid=3

Thompson is comparing Larry Johnson to Bo Jackson so could he be trying something? I mean if he thinks that high of him and he can get him for a little after waiting it out. Do you guys see anything happing?

Football Fan
07-26-2007, 03:14 AM
No. 4 Brett Favre.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/No4Favre.htm

A much more sensible ranking.
and it comes from profootball talk instead of usa today... go figure.