PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83

Twiddler
07-25-2008, 02:55 PM
It could be a ploy for a trade. say he's showing up to make it look like the Packers aren't as desperate to deal him.

I think he's going to the big apple to reunited with Bubba and Ahmad Caroll.

I think that the Jets would be the best situation for the team but I'm wondering if Favre would approve of going to the Jets. He obviously wants to make a run at another ring but I just don't think the Jets are at that level this year. Sure, they could possibly squeak into the playoffs with Brett, but that would be quite the challenge. Also, what kind of offense do the Jets run? Would it be something he could learn in the next month?

bearsfan_51
07-25-2008, 04:26 PM
wow. ya know things have gotten bad in Bearsland when ya have to quote Stephen A Smith to find a negative perception of the Packers.

Steven A. Smith = Hilarious.

I'm fine with Bearsland. The fact that Favre is showing himself to be the classless jackass I've always said he was is an enjoyable enough off-season for me.

Besides, we'll still sweep the Packers.

drowe
07-25-2008, 04:55 PM
if i didn't know you say the things you say out of jealousy, i'd call you delusional.

TitleTown088
07-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Steven A. Smith = Hilarious.

Aren't you supposed to be smart or something?

Steven A. Smith= annoying and obtuse.

Oh yeah Drowe, we need you to say that the Packers are going to suck again this year so they can go 13-3 again. Don't jinx it.

TitleTown088
07-25-2008, 08:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sI7vFv9REI

Mason Crosby fantasy commercial. Preeeeeettttttttty ppprrrettttyy prreeetttttttt good.

Twiddler
07-25-2008, 11:20 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080725/PKR01/80725135/1057/PKR&located=RSS

An interview with Ted Thompson that doesn't ever mention the Brett Favre situation. Quite the refreshing read.

jackalope
07-26-2008, 11:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sI7vFv9REI

Mason Crosby fantasy commercial. Preeeeeettttttttty ppprrrettttyy prreeetttttttt good.

Interesting, that's the third fantasy football commercial with a Packer.

TitleTown088
07-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Well Grant sure starting to look like he's not a lock to be there when camp opens.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=776616

princefielder28
07-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Well Grant sure starting to look like he's not a lock to be there when camp opens.

tough time for TT with Favre, Grant, and the rookies

PACKmanN
07-26-2008, 12:24 PM

I knew something was up with Grant. This guy is looking for his payday and I don't care what anyone says. If he wanted to play for a smaller contract and earn his money, I'm sure TT would have gave him that type of contract.

bearsfan_51
07-26-2008, 12:25 PM
The latter two are entirely his fault. Ryan Grant should hold out quite frankly, and there's no reason not to have any non top-15 pick signed by camp. What can they possibly be arguing over? Their signing bonuses are in the hundred of thousands.

TitleTown088
07-26-2008, 01:03 PM
They still got until monday to get the picks signed, no need to panic.

PackerLegend
07-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Interesting, that's the third fantasy football commercial with a Packer.

Ryan Grant has a fantasy football commercial as well.

TitleTown088
07-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Ryan Grant has a fantasy football commercial as well.

Jennings, Grant, and Crosby? Isn't that three? Only three I've seen.

jackalope
07-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Jennings, Grant, and Crosby? Isn't that three? Only three I've seen.

Yeah, those were the ones I was referring to.

PACKmanN
07-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Pat Lee is signed.

TitleTown088
07-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Pat Lee is signed.

So are Jordy and Finley. Only Brohm left.

Finley http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/26/te-finley-done-as-well.aspx

Nelson.http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/26/first-pick-nelson-agrees-to-terms.aspx

PackerLegend
07-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah, those were the ones I was referring to.

Crap I totally missed "thats the third" from your first post.

Anyways good to have them signed. It will be interesting if Favre sends in his reinstatement papers. Hopefully Grant wont hold out to long if they fail to sign him in time.

roughrider30
07-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Im sure most people have heard this already, but

Favre doesn't report to camp today http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3506282

Kind of suprised me, but I guess Favre doesn't want to be a distraction to the team. Good move by Favre IMO

TitleTown088
07-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Favre also admitted he had dialog with Bevell and Chilly...

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/27/favre-i-m-not-reporting-to-camp-yet.aspx

Twiddler
07-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Im sure most people have heard this already, but

Favre doesn't report to camp today http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3506282

Kind of suprised me, but I guess Favre doesn't want to be a distraction to the team. Good move by Favre IMO

Well, apparently TT asked him to delay his return a few days, so at least Brett is complying with our requests. Which is nice to see.

PackerLegend
07-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Per Rotoworld

According to the Tampa Tribune, "it is believed" that the Packers and Bucs were close to agreeing on compensation in a trade that would've sent Brett Favre to Tampa Bay on Saturday.

The Tribune suggests that renewed talks Sunday may have been why Favre and Green Bay are at a standstill. In addition, beat reporter Roy Cummings says "it is believed" that the Jets are not bidding for Favre's services. The Packers are thought to be holding out for a conditional draft pick that could escalate to a first-rounder if Favre plays a certain amount of games.

Per Profootballtalk
FAVRE SAYS THOMPSON BEGGED HIM NOT TO RETURN
Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2008, 3:03 p.m.
Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Packers quarterback Brett Favre has signed a letter requesting reinstatement, but that Favre might not send it until Monday or Tuesday.

Per Mort, Favre says that G.M. Ted Thompson “pleaded” with Favre to give the team more time to figure out the situation.

“I asked Ted [Saturday], ‘Am I welcome in the building if I report?’ and Ted was just about shattered,” Favre said. “He said, ‘Brett, you can’t do that — you’ll get me fired.’ I told him I’m not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let’s try to resolve this over the next two or three days.”

Favre also said he’s getting pressure from his agent, Bus Cook, and his wife, Deanna, to move forward.

“Deanna, Bus, everyone here [in Mississippi] says, ‘You’re so stupid, letting [the Packers] play you like this,” Favre said. “They want me to get in there now. I may wait until Tuesday or so.”

Favre also said that he asked Thompson to let him genuinely compete for the starting job in Green Bay.

“I said, ‘Let me compete, you’ll know I’ll win this job’ and Ted said again, ‘Brett, things have changed. Aaron Rodgers is our quarterback.’ It’s pretty clear — and this is what I told the commissioner — that they want me to go away, stay retired. They would much rather see me in a Packers’ uniform, paying me $12 million to be a backup — which you know they really don’t want — rather than see in another uniform, no matter what they say. They’ll drag this out, asking a king’s ransom [in a trade], hoping it all goes away.”

And so the situation, which seemed two days ago to be destined to resolve amicably, is getting uglier. If Favre is portraying his call with Thompson accurately (and it’s possible that Favre is exaggerating, to put it kindly), the Packers are backed into a corner, and it very well could be that their only options are to genuinely welcome him back, or let him walk.

PackerLegend
07-27-2008, 03:33 PM
All rookies have been signed!

Brohm contract done: All rookies signed for training camp
By Tom Silverstein
Sunday, Jul 27 2008, 03:12 PM
Green Bay -- Brian Brohm, the last of the Green Bay Packers' unsigned draft choices reached an agreement on a multi-year deal Sunday afternoon, his agent said.

Brohm, a second-round pick from Louisville, is expected to compete for the backup position behind starter Aaron Rodgers. He joins Rodgers and seventh-round pick Matt Flynn as the only quarterbacks in camp.

All nine of the Packers' draft picks have agreed to terms or signed their contracts and are expected to be on the practice field Monday morning.

TitleTown088
07-27-2008, 04:50 PM
i Can't say I'm in agreement with not letting Favre compete for the job.They better be close to a trade or something.

Favre4ever
07-27-2008, 05:09 PM
i Can't say I'm in agreement with not letting Favre compete for the job.They better be close to a trade or something.

The thing is that there is no competition, if Favre is in camp he should be the starter but the organization doesnt want that. Rodgers is their guy and they are probably buying some time to make a trade.

PackerLegend
07-27-2008, 08:06 PM
The thing is that there is no competition, if Favre is in camp he should be the starter but the organization doesnt want that. Rodgers is their guy and they are probably buying some time to make a trade.

Why is there no competition? Why should Favre be the starter? Yes we all know what his legacy but we dont know what Rodgers will be. While an open competition may be fair the best choice is to keep moving forward with Aaron Rodgers.

While our team didnt win against the Giants, they sure gave Favre his chances to rise up and get this team to the superbowl. That's what legends are suppose to do right? Step up on the biggest of big occasion's. Yet Favre managed to throw to a covered WR instead of hitting the wide open WR's on that play. Favre has basically failed to really play exceptional or even slightly above average in most of his playoff experiences. I know people will blame other things for the Giants loss but Favre could have stepped up like Elway did.

PackerLegend
07-27-2008, 08:16 PM
How long tell Ryan Grant gets traded now because he will end up unhappy? :(

Green Bay -- Running back Ryan Grant did not report to training camp Sunday and based on how angry his agent was Sunday with the Packers' first offer, it could be a long time before he's back in uniform.

"It's insulting," agent Alan Herman said of the offer he received from negotiator Russ Ball Saturday at 5:15 p.m. "Ryan Grant gave them a running game last year. They know what he can do."

Herman said the most insulting part of the offer was the $1.75 million signing bonus the Packers offered on a six-year contract extension. Herman said that was almost half of the $3 million linebacker Brady Poppinga receiver on his four-year extension that was signed last week.

According to Herman, Grant's earnings in 2008 would be just over $2 million.

He said the Packers' offer paled in comparison to what he said was a four-year, $40 million deal the Chicago Bears gave returner Devin Hester, who like Grant has two years left before becoming a free agent. Hester, he said, received $10 million in guaranteed money despite never having proved himself as a wide receiver.

"I can't believe after 5 1/2 months, after the Packers said to us that this was a unique situation, that the Packers take care of their own, that we would get in a situation as unreasonable as this," Herman said. "I've never seen anything like that in my 24 years in the business."

Asked how Grant felt about the offer, Herman said, "He was as mad as I've ever heard him. He's really angry."

General manager Ted Thompson said Sunday he wasn't giving up on a deal being reached.

"I think it's a unique thing and kind of complicated," Thompson said. "We're trying to work our way through this. I'm not good at predicting those things (when a deal might be reached). There's dialogue."

Herman wouldn't say what type of signing bonus he wanted, but he said the two sides were not going to get anywhere with the number they were at right now. He said the performance-based portion of the contract he proposed was slashed by 75% in the offer the Packers returned to him.

"If he does what he did last year, he wouldn't even earn $1 million," Herman said of the 956 yards and eight touchdowns Grant produced last season.

Favre4ever
07-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Why is there no competition? Why should Favre be the starter? Yes we all know what his legacy but we dont know what Rodgers will be. While an open competition may be fair the best choice is to keep moving forward with Aaron Rodgers.

While our team didnt win against the Giants, they sure gave Favre his chances to rise up and get this team to the superbowl. That's what legends are suppose to do right? Step up on the biggest of big occasion's. Yet Favre managed to throw to a covered WR instead of hitting the wide open WR's on that play. Favre has basically failed to really play exceptional or even slightly above average in most of his playoff experiences. I know people will blame other things for the Giants loss but Favre could have stepped up like Elway did.

Do you honestly think that there really should be a competition? I love Rodgers and i cant wait to see him play but if Favre is in camp, i dont see how he doesnt deserve the spot right away. Thats the main reason why it cannot happen because they believe in Rodgers and if he wants to succeed, he needs to do it on his own without Favre breathing down his neck.

I dont see how Rodgers could outplay Favre in camp, Rodgers needs time to go through growing pains that will make him a great QB.

princefielder28
07-27-2008, 10:39 PM
How long tell Ryan Grant gets traded now because he will end up unhappy? :(

Just pay the man and get him in camp....this organization is looking like grabage right now

RockJock07
07-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Do you honestly think that there really should be a competition? I love Rodgers and i cant wait to see him play but if Favre is in camp, i dont see how he doesnt deserve the spot right away. Thats the main reason why it cannot happen because they believe in Rodgers and if he wants to succeed, he needs to do it on his own without Favre breathing down his neck.

I dont see how Rodgers could outplay Favre in camp, Rodgers needs time to go through growing pains that will make him a great QB.

Oh course Favre would outplay Rodgers in camp and that's why there would never be a open competition. They couldn't sit there and expect a "rookie" to compete with a HOFer.

Look we have all questioned TT and his draft picks and lack of free agent moves but if he and MM are this sure about Aaron then I have to trust them. Most if not all of the moves they have made have worked even if they weren't the most popular at the time.

At this point I want this to be over, trade him, it's a bitter way to end a magical run. I'm sorry I don't believe that the packers owe brett anything, that's not how life works or football for that matter. If Wolf were still the GM then maybe he's a packer, but TT owes him nothing. TT's job is to put together 53 guys that win games, no player is bigger then the team as a whole. If Favre wasn't so undecided for the past 3 years then maybe he's in camp right now.

TitleTown088
07-28-2008, 10:15 AM
This Favre ordeal is going to get damn ugly if a trade can't be hammered out, I was this over, badly.

Geo
07-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Herman said the most insulting part of the offer was the $1.75 million signing bonus the Packers offered on a six-year contract extension.
Unless they are some serious roster bonuses involved, that's a joke. And even then it's bush league for a signing bonus that small with an extension that long, give me a break.

Not that I am ardently advocating locking up Grant now, I'm not really siding with one option or another. If I had to pick something, I'd say let him play out his ERFA tender of $370K this season, and if he repeats his great play from last year, then next offseason would be time to pay him. If we're treating Grant as a rookie, I believe that is what he is in terms of accrued NFL seasons, then normally you don't tear up a rookie contract after the first season even if the guy is a Pro Bowl-caliber starter. You do it after the second year, see Marques Colston and Devin Hester who both signed extensions recently.

Now yes, Earnest Graham signed a 4-year/11M contract this offseason. And maybe the Packers and Grant should do the same, although if Grant is the starting runningback for a few seasons, then he could arguably be underpaid. Two summers ago Chester Taylor signed a 4-yr/14M contract with the Vikings as a free agent, when he was planned to be their new starting runningback. However Graham is in his fourth season now and Taylor was in his fifth season then, it's just that those guys hadn't won the starting job early like Grant has as a rookie.

I do understand Grant wants to get paid something now, when he has the chance. He came into the league without even a drafted rookie's contract, will be 26 this December, and he's three years away from being an unrestricted free agent. Looking back on some of his performance this season, I wonder if the Giants didn't trade away their best runningback on the roster for a 6th round pick. He's a great fit for the Packers' scheme and can break a big run on anyone. That 5-yards-plus average last year was for real, he looked like he was going for 5 just about every time he touched the ball.

If Brett Favre is gone, then the Packers definitely need Ryan Grant back and ready to carry more of the load this season, to help shield some of the pressure from new starter Aaron Rodgers. Either tell him to play out this season to get paid for real, or throw him a bone of a bonus for this year (and next), whatever. Neither Brandon Jackson nor DeShawn Wynn can do what Grant does, he's much more of an effective slasher and home run threat which pairs perfectly with their athletic offensive line.

princefielder28
07-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Very well put Geo

Love this article : http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3508012&sportCat=nfl

ChezPower4
07-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Oh course Favre would outplay Rodgers in camp and that's why there would never be a open competition. They couldn't sit there and expect a "rookie" to compete with a HOFer.

Look we have all questioned TT and his draft picks and lack of free agent moves but if he and MM are this sure about Aaron then I have to trust them. Most if not all of the moves they have made have worked even if they weren't the most popular at the time.

At this point I want this to be over, trade him, it's a bitter way to end a magical run. I'm sorry I don't believe that the packers owe brett anything, that's not how life works or football for that matter. If Wolf were still the GM then maybe he's a packer, but TT owes him nothing. TT's job is to put together 53 guys that win games, no player is bigger then the team as a whole. If Favre wasn't so undecided for the past 3 years then maybe he's in camp right now.

We all know that Favre would win in an open competition. Thats why TT told Favre that he would not let him compete for the job, because TT knows that Favre would will the job also.

If Favre does report to camp and TT does not trade him, I think that this will turn into a very sticky situation for Rodgers. Favre wants to compete for the starting job (and i think we should let them compete MM and TT are always saying that they are always trying to create competition to make the team better) and TT and MM aren't going to let him do that. If we keep Favre as a backup, this would put an unreal amount of pressure on Rodgers. Not only does he have to worry about preforming well and meeting the expectations that we have come to expect from the QB position. Aaron is also going to have to deal with if he starts the year poorly and if Favre is the backup everyone(all of our fans) is going to want Favre to play and not Aaron.

Geo
07-28-2008, 12:00 PM
The Packers should just trade Favre to the Vikings already. Get the most they can get for him, and be done with it.

Will Thompson and McCarthy forever be known as the men who traded Favre out of Green Bay? Maybe, who knows. If Favre somehow leads the Vikings to their first ever Super Bowl victory, probably.

But if you're not going to let him start, trading him away to a contender is more respectful than making him the back-up quarterback.

GB12
07-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Unless they are some serious roster bonuses involved, that's a joke. And even then it's bush league for a signing bonus that small with an extension that long, give me a break.
That's not at all a joke, that's right where it should be. As an exclusive rights free agent Grant has no leverage, it all belongs to us. We'll probably add some as negotiations move on, but not a whole lot.
Not that I am ardently advocating locking up Grant now, I'm not really siding with one option or another. If I had to pick something, I'd say let him play out his ERFA tender of $370K this season, and if he repeats his great play from last year, then next offseason would be time to pay him.
Grant is the one that doesn't want to do that. We offered him the tender he didn't sign it because he wanted an extension.

If we're treating Grant as a rookie, I believe that is what he is in terms of accrued NFL seasons, then normally you don't tear up a rookie contract after the first season even if the guy is a Pro Bowl-caliber starter. You do it after the second year, see Marques Colston and Devin Hester who both signed extensions recently.

He's not a rookie he's an exclusive rights free agent. Completely different situations.
Now yes, Earnest Graham signed a 4-year/11M contract this offseason.
Bingo. That's where you should be looking if you want to compare. Graham was in a situation very similar to Grant and had a kind of similar season stat wise. Guess how much guarenteed money Graham got. 0, none, nothing. $1.75 for Grant is not a joke it's perfect. I'd expect the total for this proposed deal to be around $20 million, which while it sounds low it's exactly where it should be.

Two summers ago Chester Taylor signed a 4-yr/14M contract with the Vikings as a free agent, when he was planned to be their new starting runningback.
Chester Taylor was a free agent. He could sign with any team in the NFL, Grant can only sign with the Packers just like Graham could only sign with Tampa.

I do understand Grant wants to get paid something now, when he has the chance. He came into the league without even a drafted rookie's contract, will be 26 this December, and he's three years away from being an unrestricted free agent. Looking back on some of his performance this season, I wonder if the Giants didn't trade away their best runningback on the roster for a 6th round pick. He's a great fit for the Packers' scheme and can break a big run on anyone. That 5-yards-plus average last year was for real, he looked like he was going for 5 just about every time he touched the ball.

I agree with pretty much everything you said there. And yes I'm well aware that Grant wants to get a big pay day and this might be his only chance, but unfourtunately for him he's in no position to get that.

If Brett Favre is gone, then the Packers definitely need Ryan Grant back and ready to carry more of the load this season
Grant is going to be playing for the Packers this season no matter what. It's just a matter if he's happy about it or not. If we get to the start of the season with no long term deal worked out he will sign the ERFA tender. He's not going to hold out because that hurts him way more than it'd help.

He should take what we're offering and then earn more through performance. If he plays well we will extend his contract or increase his salary. We've done it multiple times for Donald Driver, and have done it with our tackles and other players. Right now he can't get much, but if he gives us some good seasons we'll redo his contract in a couple years.

Geo
07-28-2008, 12:25 PM
A 1.75M signing bonus for a 6-year extension is the epitome of a joke, get real. What incentive would there be to sign such a long-term deal, taking Grant well through age 30, with such a meager signing bonus. Graham is 28 years old this summer and was signed for $605K before penning a new deal with the team.

Unless 2006 with the Giants was an accrued NFL season which I don't believe it was, then last year was Grant's first accrued NFL season which puts him on par with a rookie (now second-year pro) in terms of reaching free agency. As I stated.

PACKmanN
07-28-2008, 12:30 PM
That's not at all a joke, that's right where it should be. As an exclusive rights free agent Grant has no leverage, it all belongs to us. We'll probably add some as negotiations move on, but not a whole lot.

Grant is the one that doesn't want to do that. We offered him the tender he didn't sign it because he wanted an extension.

He's not a rookie he's an exclusive rights free agent. Completely different situations.

Bingo. That's where you should be looking if you want to compare. Graham was in a situation very similar to Grant and had a kind of similar season stat wise. Guess how much guarenteed money Graham got. 0, none, nothing. $1.75 for Grant is not a joke it's perfect. I'd expect the total for this proposed deal to be around $20 million, which while it sounds low it's exactly where it should be.

Chester Taylor was a free agent. He could sign with any team in the NFL, Grant can only sign with the Packers just like Graham could only sign with Tampa.

I agree with pretty much everything you said there. And yes I'm well aware that Grant wants to get a big pay day and this might be his only chance, but unfourtunately for him he's in no position to get that.

Grant is going to be playing for the Packers this season no matter what. It's just a matter if he's happy about it or not. If we get to the start of the season with no long term deal worked out he will sign the ERFA tender. He's not going to hold out because that hurts him way more than it'd help.

He should take what we're offering and then earn more through performance. If he plays well we will extend his contract or increase his salary. We've done it multiple times for Donald Driver, and have done it with our tackles and other players. Right now he can't get much, but if he gives us some good seasons we'll redo his contract in a couple years.

Agree 100% and his agent had the nerve to mention his client wants to earn his pay, well theirs the contract, earn it.

GB12
07-28-2008, 12:52 PM
A 1.75M signing bonus for a 6-year extension is the epitome of a joke, get real.
Absolutely not. You're failing to realize the difference between UFAs and ERFAa and there is a huge difference. You can't look at say Michael Turner who got $15 guarenteed for 6 years or Jamal Lewis who got $10 guarenteed for 3 years and compare them to Grant because they are two completely different situations. He has to be compared to other ERFAs like Graham and Willie Parker. Graham as I previously stated got 4 year and 0 guarenteed. Parker got a 4 year 13.6 million dollar total deal, I couldn't find the exact details on how much was guarenteed but I'm sure it was very little.

Geo
07-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Aaron Rodgers has thankfully cut the hippie locks and is sporting a much better haircut, great move. He just needs to shave the facial hair now, and he's looking like a new, successful starting quarterback. :D

umphrey
07-28-2008, 03:37 PM
We all know that Favre would win in an open competition. Thats why TT told Favre that he would not let him compete for the job, because TT knows that Favre would will the job also.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume. You have to remember it's practice, where it's not as hard for a young gun and his talent to look better than the old timer and his experience. Also according to reports the offense has changed to accommodate Rodgers, so Favre would be the one learning something new, giving Rodgers another edge.

That being said, an open competition would be stupid/pointless anyway. In the end the coaches pick who they want anyway. As much as I defend Rodgers about being resilient to criticism and the media, I could see that scenario taking a toll on him. Also if we go back to Brett, in 2 years that leaves us only Brohm to lean on because Rodgers probably bolts in free agency, and we wasted a 1st round pick.

The Packers' first-round draft choice [Harrell] in 2007 had a setback about a week ago and the situation, based on the way he appeared Monday, doesn't look good. The worst-case scenario is that he'll need more surgery and likely miss the season.

With Harrell, it's starting to feel like it did last year where half the fans call him a bust and the other half say wait til next year when he's had a healthy offseason.

ChezPower4
07-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to assume. You have to remember it's practice, where it's not as hard for a young gun and his talent to look better than the old timer and his experience. Also according to reports the offense has changed to accommodate Rodgers, so Favre would be the one learning something new, giving Rodgers another edge.

That being said, an open competition would be stupid/pointless anyway. In the end the coaches pick who they want anyway. As much as I defend Rodgers about being resilient to criticism and the media, I could see that scenario taking a toll on him. Also if we go back to Brett, in 2 years that leaves us only Brohm to lean on because Rodgers probably bolts in free agency, and we wasted a 1st round pick.

At this point in time i seriously doubt that Rodgers can beat out Favre in an open competition. And if Mike and Ted picked Aaron over Brett just because he is younger and not better. To me that kinda goes against pro sports logic. As fans we always want the best player to play and we want coaches who are going to put the best team out there.

bearsfan_51
07-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Aaron Rodgers has thankfully cut the hippie locks and is sporting a much better haircut, great move. He just needs to shave the facial hair now, and he's looking like a new, successful starting quarterback. :D
Or a 12 year old. He needs to keep the moustache. That way even if he's a lousy quarterback, at least he has a great moustache.

EvilMonkey
07-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Or a 12 year old. He needs to keep the moustache. That way even if he's a lousy quarterback, at least he has a great moustache.

he's gotta bring back his fumanchu

EvilMonkey
07-28-2008, 06:37 PM
At this point in time i seriously doubt that Rodgers can beat out Favre in an open competition. And if Mike and Ted picked Aaron over Brett just because he is younger and not better. To me that kinda goes against pro sports logic. As fans we always want the best player to play and we want coaches who are going to put the best team out there.

it doesnt necessarily go against all pro sports logic, but the only logic it would make sense for is a rebuilding team, not a winning team. If we were struggling and NEEDED to try to get better for the future, fine but what sucks is that this whole situation on "moving on" and all that just seems like we're not focusing on winning now, but just focusing on the future.

It makes it really, really tough for me to get that excited for this year based on the actions of Packer management, and that shouldnt be the case given the talent level of our team.

Twiddler
07-28-2008, 07:02 PM
The Packers should just trade Favre to the Vikings already. Get the most they can get for him, and be done with it.

Will Thompson and McCarthy forever be known as the men who traded Favre out of Green Bay? Maybe, who knows. If Favre somehow leads the Vikings to their first ever Super Bowl victory, probably.

But if you're not going to let him start, trading him away to a contender is more respectful than making him the back-up quarterback.

Still won't happen, and I don't think that it should. I don't want to be the team enabling a rival to possibly make the Super Bowl, even if we would get a first rounder out of it. Plus, the first week would be a nightmare.

PackerLegend
07-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Aaron Rodgers gives us a chance to win now and for the future. Hell teams have made the SB with garbage as their QB and a good defense. The Packers have a good defense, running game started looking really good, and good WR's so its not like Aaron has to carry this team.

People haven't realised last year Favre had his chances and he blew it again. Favre is average at best in the playoffs.

Aaron Rodgers, for better or worse. Favre is done as a Packer get over it.

GB12
07-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I didn't see that post until now, but that's a ridiculous statement. Favre is not going to the Vikings period.

So what if it'd be more respectful to Favre, that'd be an extremely stupid move for the Packers. We have to worry about what's best for the team, not what's best for Brett.

PackerLegend
07-28-2008, 07:20 PM
I didn't see that post until now, but that's a ridiculous statement. Favre is not going to the Vikings period.

So what if it'd be more respectful to Favre, that'd be an extremely stupid move for the Packers. We have to worry about what's best for the team, not what's best for Brett.

Exactly, I love Favre and want to tell him to **** off !!!! Its best for GB to move on with Rodgers.

princefielder28
07-28-2008, 07:21 PM

I agree that we don't want Brett going to Minnesota, but eventually TT will have to break on one of his benchmarks....he has to either have Brett come to camp, trade him for lower compensation than a 1st rounder or release him.

GB12
07-28-2008, 07:37 PM
I agree that we don't want Brett going to Minnesota, but eventually TT will have to break on one of his benchmarks....he has to either have Brett come to camp, trade him for lower compensation than a 1st rounder or release him.
There's no way in hell we're releasing him. Not only would that be the worst possible move we could make, but it'd go against EVERYTHING that Thompson was going for. Not going to happen.

I still think it's a possibility to stick to the plan and see how serious Favre really is. That would either be perfect or potentially disasterous. High risk, high reward there.

Trading him seems like the most likely outcome at this time. I'd say it's 60-40 he's traded over the second option. If we do trade him it'd definitely wouldn't be to the Vikings. The Jets and the Buccaneers are probably the best options he's going to get. I don't know what his problem is with those two teams, but he better get over it if he wants to play this year.

princefielder28
07-28-2008, 07:55 PM
There's no way in hell we're releasing him. Not only would that be the worst possible move we could make, but it'd go against EVERYTHING that Thompson was going for. Not going to happen.

I still think it's a possibility to stick to the plan and see how serious Favre really is. That would either be perfect or potentially disasterous. High risk, high reward there.

Trading him seems like the most likely outcome at this time. I'd say it's 60-40 he's traded over the second option. If we do trade him it'd definitely wouldn't be to the Vikings. The Jets and the Buccaneers are probably the best options he's going to get. I don't know what his problem is with those two teams, but he better get over it if he wants to play this year.

I was justing listing the options and am well aware that Favre is not being release....TT has to realize that no one is going to give him a first rounder, or a first round escalator pick, for Favre; he should just take a 2nd rounder and run

GB12
07-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Donald Driver interview http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/28/driver-on-the-favre-situation.aspx

I have stayed away from these as they're usually the same thing, but Driver's is worth reading.

TitleTown088
07-28-2008, 08:33 PM
According to all camp reports I have been reading Patrick Lee has been getting torched.

GB12
07-28-2008, 08:41 PM
According to all camp reports I have been reading Patrick Lee has been getting torched.
He was expected to take some time to develop so that isn't a complete shock. I still have very high hopes for him though. We have two top corners and Tramon Williams seems to have taken a hold of the nickel role so we have time.

TitleTown088
07-28-2008, 08:43 PM
He was expected to take some time to develop so that isn't a complete shock. I still have very high hopes for him though. We have two top corners and Tramon Williams seems to have taken a hold of the nickel role so we have time.

Not to mention it's only the first day of training camp. I have high hopes for him as well, and as you mentioned Tramon is prob my favorite up and coming CB on the roster. Hopefully everyone stays healthy so he can stay back there and be groomed for awhile.

Geo
07-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Still won't happen, and I don't think that it should. I don't want to be the team enabling a rival to possibly make the Super Bowl, even if we would get a first rounder out of it. Plus, the first week would be a nightmare.
I don't think the Vikings would win the Super Bowl with or without Favre, so it's almost a moot point for me. They might reach it though with Favre, because the NFC East has holes that can be exposed come the playoffs and that's why a strong NFC North team should get through if they handle their business. Truthfully, I think Favre in a dome in a new offense might not help the team for a while.

Maybe the Packers feel they can't win the division though if the Vikings have Favre. And with the NFC East liking taking up both wild card spots, could then find themselves out of the playoff race.

Twiddler
07-28-2008, 09:39 PM
I don't think the Vikings would win the Super Bowl with or without Favre, so it's almost a moot point for me. They might reach it though with Favre, because the NFC East has holes that can be exposed come the playoffs and that's why a strong NFC North team should get through if they handle their business. Truthfully, I think Favre in a dome in a new offense might not help the team for a while.

Maybe the Packers feel they can't win the division though if the Vikings have Favre. And with the NFC East liking taking up both wild card spots, could then find themselves out of the playoff race.

I get what you're saying but I think it certainly would help their attempt to get to the Super Bowl. They have enough of the important pieces, with QB being one of the question marks, and I'm much more comfortable with Tarvaris Jackson than Brett Favre. That and I can't imagine the PR disaster for us that would be Favre on the Vikings. Just imagining Favre coming to Green Bay in week one on Monday night in a Vikings jersey gives me nightmares. Throw in the fact that John Madden and Peter King will be part of the broadcasting crew and I think my head would explode, haha.

GB12
07-28-2008, 09:49 PM

That's really besides the point. Giving them a better chance at the Super Bowl is not what kills the possibility of a trade. They are division rivals and we won't trade within the division. They could be one of the worst teams in the NFL and we still wouldn't trade him to the Vikings. However getting to the Super Bowl would certainly make it hurt that much more and I think the Vikings with Favre would get at least to the NFC championship game.

ChezPower4
07-29-2008, 11:26 AM
it doesnt necessarily go against all pro sports logic, but the only logic it would make sense for is a rebuilding team, not a winning team. If we were struggling and NEEDED to try to get better for the future, fine but what sucks is that this whole situation on "moving on" and all that just seems like we're not focusing on winning now, but just focusing on the future.

It makes it really, really tough for me to get that excited for this year based on the actions of Packer management, and that shouldnt be the case given the talent level of our team.

We should be focusing on winning now, we made to the NFC Championship game and came very close to winning that game. I realize that we are building our team to win now and win later but we may not have many more chances like we had last year.

TitleTown088
07-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Well Favre officially sent his letter fr reinstatement in today.

ChezPower4
07-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Well Favre officially sent his letter fr reinstatement in today.

He'll probably be at camp tomorrow or thursday it will be interesting to see How Ted and Mike handle this because it's going to be a media circus. I just want this to be over hopefully there will be a resolution soon

PackerLegend
07-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Bad ***
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/25/25630_large.jpg

Sexy
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/25/25637_large.jpg

Jordyzzzzzz
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/25/25636_large.jpg

FU Mr. Favre
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/25/25614_large.jpg

Big Wood
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/25/25621_large.jpg

roughrider30
07-29-2008, 04:58 PM
He'll probably be at camp tomorrow or thursday it will be interesting to see How Ted and Mike handle this because it's going to be a media circus. I just want this to be over hopefully there will be a resolution soon

Ya hopefully there is a quick and happy ending to this mess, but it probably won't work out that way.

Twiddler
07-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Ya hopefully there is a quick and happy ending to this mess, but it probably won't work out that way.

Yeah, I'm definitely not seeing a quick ending to this. I think we better buckle up for the long haul here, sadly.

ChezPower4
07-29-2008, 07:27 PM
sad but true

TitleTown088
07-29-2008, 08:20 PM

He won't be in camp until Friday at the earliest. the league office won't reinstate him for 24 hours and then the Packers won't activate him for another 24. Not to mention there is no practice on Thursday.

FU Mr. Favre

Dude, come on. That's real weak. I'm as tired of the situation as anyone but you can't say that to Favre as a Packer fan.

umphrey
07-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Not to mention it's only the first day of training camp. I have high hopes for him as well, and as you mentioned Tramon is prob my favorite up and coming CB on the roster. Hopefully everyone stays healthy so he can stay back there and be groomed for awhile.

The Lee pick worried me a little. I like Williams though. I hope he can make a career as a nickel back for us. A lot of teams put young players there, but since the nickel comes in during a lot of important situations experience would be a plus.

GB12
07-29-2008, 09:48 PM
I like Williams though. I hope he can make a career as a nickel back for us. A lot of teams put young players there, but since the nickel comes in during a lot of important situations experience would be a plus.
Yeah I don't think Williams can be a starter for us, but that'd be very nice if we had a long term nickelback

Twiddler
07-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Man, this Favre thing ******* sucks. I thought I was really sick of it before, boy was I wrong. I know I'm stating the obvious but still, wow.

TitleTown088
07-30-2008, 12:24 AM
Well Murphy is heading down to meet with Favre personally tonight. Apparently to convince him not to show up.

princefielder28
07-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Well Murphy is heading down to meet with Favre personally tonight. Apparently to convince him not to show up.

I don't like Murphy getting involved one on one, even though he is the President; he doesn't seem to have a good grasp of the situation and this situation should be resolved between Favre, Thompson, and McCarthy

ChezPower4
07-30-2008, 10:07 AM
I don't like Murphy getting involved one on one, even though he is the President; he doesn't seem to have a good grasp of the situation and this situation should be resolved between Favre, Thompson, and McCarthy

Murphy needs to worried about the business side of the team and not the personnel side. Thats why we have a GM and and a personnel dept. Don't really see him really saying anything to brett that is going to make him change his mind about coming back

Twiddler
07-30-2008, 10:58 AM

Well, I think its getting to the last resort for this whole situation. I mean, if we had an actual team owner he would be down there trying to get Favre to stay home. Like it or not, this situation is involving the entire organization now.

princefielder28
07-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Well, I think its getting to the last resort for this whole situation. I mean, if we had an actual team owner he would be down there trying to get Favre to stay home. Like it or not, this situation is involving the entire organization now.

Murphy has absolutely not relationship with Favre and is still learning the ropes of being the head of the organization and he, at this point, makes no personnel decisions. Ted Thompson is the GM of this team, he created this situation, and he should be the one to resolve it.

princefielder28
07-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Michael Montgomery is have a very nice TC so far; I am interested to see how he can contribute this year

GB12
07-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Favre has pretty much come out and said that he hates Ted Thompson and McCarthy needs to be in Green Bay for the actual team. Murphy is the Pesident and that's part of his job.

princefielder28
07-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Favre has pretty much come out and said that he hates Ted Thompson and McCarthy needs to be in Green Bay for the actual team. Murphy is the Pesident and that's part of his job.

Part of the job description is to clean up Thompson's messes??? Is Murphy headed to talk to Ryan Grant after this???

ChezPower4
07-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Michael Montgomery is have a very nice TC so far; I am interested to see how he can contribute this year

That cool, i thought that he looked good last year in preseason. Can't wait till preseason starts i just got NFL Sunday Ticket so I'm hella stoked.

GB12
07-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Part of the job description is to clean up Thompson's messes??? Is Murphy headed to talk to Ryan Grant after this???
The Ryan Grant contract negotiations are being handled perfectly so no there is no reason to talk to Grant.

Mark Murphy is the head man of the Green Bay Packers. When there is a problem regarding the organization it is his business.

RockJock07
07-30-2008, 01:24 PM

What? TT has handled this exactly the way he should have. This mess was created by one person, that's Brett Favre. If Favre hates TT and MM, which I find to be BS, then having Murphy go is almost a last resort.

If brett wants to play, then he better wanna play more then 1 season, if not, a 1st round pick is out of the question.

ChezPower4
07-30-2008, 02:13 PM
The Ryan Grant contract negotiations are being handled perfectly so no there is no reason to talk to Grant.

Mark Murphy is the head man of the Green Bay Packers. When there is a problem regarding the organization it is his business.

He's the President not the Janitor. Mark is the head of the organization but ceo's and team presidents usually handle the business side of the team. Ted didn't necessarily make this mess but he hasn't done a whole lot to make it better. Ted is the head of the personnel department and Favre does fall into the personnel category so Ted and his staff should be handling this not Mark. It's clear that Brett and Ted are not seeing eye to eye but they should be able to sit down like adults and come to a reasonable resolution.

The Grant Contract situation is also a personnel issue. So Murphy going to visit him is somewhat strange.

GB12
07-30-2008, 02:19 PM
He's the President not the Janitor. Mark is the head of the organization but ceo's and team presidents usually handle the business side of the team. Ted didn't necessarily make this mess but he hasn't done a whole lot to make it better. Ted is the head of the personnel department and Favre does fall into the personnel category so Ted and his staff should be handling this not Mark. It's clear that Brett and Ted are not seeing eye to eye but they should be able to sit down like adults and come to a reasonable resolution.

The Grant Contract situation is also a personnel issue. So Murphy going to visit him is somewhat strange.
Yeah, that's exactly what I said. He's the president of the Green Bay Packers. Everything that has to do with the Packers is his business.

Murphy is not visiting Grant, and there's nothing wrong with how his contract situation is being handled. Not sure why princefielder28 brought that up in the first place.

PACKmanN
07-30-2008, 02:22 PM

So is Hunter, I wonder who will get the final DE spot.

princefielder28
07-30-2008, 02:52 PM
What? TT has handled this exactly the way he should have. This mess was created by one person, that's Brett Favre. If Favre hates TT and MM, which I find to be BS, then having Murphy go is almost a last resort.

If brett wants to play, then he better wanna play more then 1 season, if not, a 1st round pick is out of the question.

TT has not handled it the right away....this problem goes all the way back to March when TT, for some reason, needed a decision from Favre whether or not he was going to play next year. Was it going to change how they did things much if Favre played or not? No, the only real difference would've been the QB depth. Two weeks TT said that Favre could come back and compete as the back up QB and now won't let him anywhere near Green Bay

TT says one thing and does another....it's BS!

princefielder28
07-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I said. He's the president of the Green Bay Packers. Everything that has to do with the Packers is his business.

Murphy is not visiting Grant, and there's nothing wrong with how his contract situation is being handled. Not sure why princefielder28 brought that up in the first place.

It's business of the Packers, Murphy needs to be involved....you said it yourself; these are both personnel problems and should be left to TT, Murphy should be kept out

GB12
07-30-2008, 03:31 PM
It's business of the Packers, Murphy needs to be involved....you said it yourself; these are both personnel problems and should be left to TT, Murphy should be kept out
So which one are you saying?

And it's ridiculous to put what's going on with Favre and what's going on with Grant in the same sentence.

PackerLegend
07-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Murphy was sent to speak to Favre because Mr. Goodell didnt feel like TT and Favre were really talking and basically just sort of toying with eachother... something like that is what I heard.

And you cant believe anything that has been said. Absolutely nothing, there have been 40 differnt verisions of everything who knows who has been telling the truth.

Twiddler
07-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Murphy was sent to speak to Favre because Mr. Goodell didnt feel like TT and Favre were really talking and basically just sort of toying with eachother... something like that is what I heard.

And you cant believe anything that has been said. Absolutely nothing, there have been 40 differnt verisions of everything who knows who has been telling the truth.

I can see that being right. Honestly, can any of you see conversations between Favre and TT being productive right now? Both have been pretty damn stubborn in this ordeal so I'm pretty sure that the conversations have hit a wall. So why is it so wrong that we sent down a fresh face to talk to Favre? Sure, he's not in charge of personnel but its not like we sent the towel boy down there to talk to Favre. He's the highest ranking person in the Packers organization (at least to my knowledge) and it doesn't matter if dealing with players isn't in his job description because this is far from your typical situation.

JF4
07-30-2008, 08:39 PM
TT has not handled it the right away....this problem goes all the way back to March when TT, for some reason, needed a decision from Favre whether or not he was going to play next year. Was it going to change how they did things much if Favre played or not? No, the only real difference would've been the QB depth. Two weeks TT said that Favre could come back and compete as the back up QB and now won't let him anywhere near Green Bay

I say touche to TT for asking Brett his decision in March, for too many years has he kept the team guessing on whether he'll return or not. As for not letting Favre return to GB, it will obviously be the most historic distraction of all-time to let Favre be on the team. No doubt will it have a negative impact on Aaron Rodgers and the rest of team if you have Favre and the media circus that will accompany him back to the Packers.

PackerLegend
07-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Man this is just awful... this **** is never going to go away. Favre why the **** did you change your damn mind when they where sending a plane to pick you up because you said you had the itch to play again. Then you say ahhh never mind forget it. If you would have got your *** on the plane and finally decided that yes I in fact want to comeback and play you could have. But no lets be difficult and cry all over TV and retire and flip-flop and put the supposed great franchise that you got to play for in the biggest cluster **** of all time? Everyone will keep blaming the packers for pushing Favre to make a decision to soon but the man already had months how the **** can it be that hard to decide. There comes a point when it isnt fair to the team to not know what exactly they should be planning for. Then when he flip flopped back and forth the Packers had enough and went fully commited to Rodgers. I dont know how Favre hasnt cut hell atleast 1/3 maybe even half his fan base already.

GB12
07-30-2008, 10:39 PM
We hired Colin Cole's cousin as a scout.

neko4
07-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Whoop-de-doo

Whose side have most people been taking?

princefielder28
07-30-2008, 10:49 PM
WTMJ-TV Channel 4 in Milwaukee, citing two sources, reported that Packers president Mark Murphy at least floated the idea of paying Favre a package in the neighborhood of $20 million over 10 years to remain retired.

There's a great idea...haha

Boston
07-30-2008, 10:52 PM

God forbid the general manager of the Green Bay Packers gives one of his players THREE months to contemplate retirement. What an asshole. This entire thing is on Brett, and Thompson has handled it perfectly.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Favre change his mind beginning of summer, inform the Packers, and then change his mind again entirely?

Believe it or not, the Packers eventually need to move on from Favre, and Thompson is doing just that. Brett made up his mind, perhaps prematurely, and the Packers moved on.

PackerLegend
07-30-2008, 10:54 PM
God forbid the general manager of the Green Bay Packers gives one of his players THREE months to contemplate retirement. What an asshole. This entire thing is on Brett, and Thompson has handled it perfectly.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Favre change his mind beginning of summer, inform the Packers, and then change his mind again entirely?

Believe it or not, the Packers eventually need to move on from Favre, and Thompson is doing just that. Brett made up his mind, perhaps prematurely, and the Packers moved on.

Yes and the Packers where sending a plane to go get Favre then he changed his mind again and didnt want to.

JF4
07-30-2008, 10:56 PM
WTMJ-TV Channel 4 in Milwaukee, citing two sources, reported that Packers president Mark Murphy at least floated the idea of paying Favre a package in the neighborhood of $20 million over 10 years to remain retired.

There's a great idea...haha

Intelligent fans=TT

Bandwagon nuthuggers, or uneducated football minds=Favre

princefielder28
07-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Intelligent fans=TT

Bandwagon nuthuggers, or uneducated football minds=Favre

Oh, ok....do you agree with this most recent approach?

PackerLegend
07-30-2008, 10:58 PM
We need a poll right now Packer fans... Who do you want as starting QB this season? Rodgers gets my vote

Boston
07-30-2008, 10:59 PM

What side are you on anyway? You can't possibly want Favre to start now...

JF4
07-30-2008, 11:01 PM

Most recent being not allowing Favre at camp? Hell yes!

See my earlier post for why.

princefielder28
07-30-2008, 11:03 PM
What side are you on anyway? You can't possibly want Favre to start now...

I will support the Packers, in the end, with whatever decision they make, but it may not necessarily mean that I agree with it...I believe Favre gives us the better chance to win this year, and obviously Rodgers does long term

princefielder28
07-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Most recent being not allowing Favre at camp? Hell yes!

See my earlier post for why.

yeah let's waste 20 mil on making sure someone stays away....brilliant!!!!

Boston
07-30-2008, 11:08 PM
I will support the Packers, in the end, with whatever decision they make, but it may not necessarily mean that I agree with it...I believe Favre gives us the better chance to win this year, and obviously Rodgers does long term

Putting Favre right back in as the starting QB would kill whatever confidence Rodgers may have left. There would be no 'long-term.' Not that Favre hasn't tried his hardest so far...

JF4
07-30-2008, 11:13 PM
yeah let's waste 20 mil on making sure someone stays away....brilliant!!!!

I just think at this point after what has been said by the organization regarding the starting QB and just the situation in general, bringing back Favre would be distracting enough to be a detriment to the team.

I would also think alot of the players have lost respect for Favre because how much of a fiasco he has turned this into and like the organization are doing their best to move on without him.

Twiddler
07-30-2008, 11:18 PM

To be fair that happened in late March instead of the beginning of summer, but it still did happen, and Thompson was more than willing to take him back as a starter.

Back in late March during the NFL owners meeting, Favre informed the Packers that he wanted to play again, multiple sources have told FOXSports.com. Not only did he insist he was returning, both McCarthy and Thompson agreed that Favre still had something left to offer and they would welcome him back. Despite the fact that those close to Favre have stated Thompson did not want Favre back, Thompson's was the deciding vote in agreeing it was not too late to have him un-retire at that time and start for the Packers in 2008.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8335678/Sources:-Favre-flip-flopped-before-draft

Boston
07-30-2008, 11:38 PM
To be fair that happened in late March instead of the beginning of summer, but it still did happen, and Thompson was more than willing to take him back as a starter.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8335678/Sources:-Favre-flip-flopped-before-draft

Yeah, I've been trying to ignore this whole Favre situation the best I can.

Twiddler
07-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I've been trying to ignore this whole Favre situation the best I can.

I've been trying really hard to ignore this also but I can't. I dislocated my shoulder again a few weeks ago and haven't been able to work so I've had too much time on my hands. I've just about had it with this story, yet I keep commenting on it, its a rough cycle, haha.

TitleTown088
07-31-2008, 02:02 AM
I really don't know what the hell to think now... Releasing him is not an option, and neither is naming him the definitive starting QB. Aside from a trade, I think the best option has to be a quarterback Competition. If Rodgers loses it he can be angry that he lost it after being named starter but at leased he can see he didn't 100% earn it. The same can be said for Favre if he were to lose. But the question is, can Rodgers hold the old man off?

I don't like this option too much, but I'm beginning to feel that is the way to go if a trade is not possible. Even this wouldn't enjoyable because of the circus surrounding training camp and pre season.
If this dosen't get resolved quickly you can likely stick a fork in the Packers season, it's done.
****!

Oh yeah, anyone mention the Packers are supposedly thinking about trading him in the division now?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=778410

TitleTown088
07-31-2008, 02:09 AM
Also from Jsonline

According to a source familiar with both sides, this was not the first time that the two sides had discussed a financial arrangement that would tie Favre to the organization for years to come. It is thought that the discussions began as early as a few months ago.

It remains unclear whether the offer was made shortly after Favre retired or when he began expressing a desire to play football again.

Coaching or what?

Goatboy1717
07-31-2008, 02:33 AM
I'm back. For those that don't remember, you'll get to know me, again. I don't want to tell you my life story but I'm back and hoping this Favre situation ends soon just like the rest of you.

Smokey
07-31-2008, 09:43 AM
I really don't know what the hell to think now... Releasing him is not an option, and neither is naming him the definitive starting QB. Aside from a trade, I think the best option has to be a quarterback Competition. If Rodgers loses it he can be angry that he lost it after being named starter but at leased he can see he didn't 100% earn it. The same can be said for Favre if he were to lose. But the question is, can Rodgers hold the old man off?

I don't like this option too much, but I'm beginning to feel that is the way to go if a trade is not possible. Even this wouldn't enjoyable because of the circus surrounding training camp and pre season.
If this dosen't get resolved quickly you can likely stick a fork in the Packers season, it's done.
****!

Oh yeah, anyone mention the Packers are supposedly thinking about trading him in the division now?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=778410

The clearest way to resolve this situation is to give Favre his outright release. If he goes to the Vikings that will be his choice. If the organization is truly committed to turning the page then it is time to do so.

This has gotten ridiculous. Seriously ridiculous. It would be in the best interest of the organization to simply move on.

Offering Favre money to stay retired? If true that makes the Packers look weak and afraid. Show the league otherwise. Grant him his release.

roughrider30
07-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Quick question, because maybe I'm missing something.

If the Jets and Bucs have interest and are willing to take his salary, then why aren't we basically handing him over to them. At this point compensation is the wrong thing to worry about when it comes to resolving this situation. Especially with talk on ESPN of the Packers considering a Trade within the division. I would gladly give Favre away for basically nothing to one of those teams then see him go in the North.

princefielder28
07-31-2008, 11:12 AM
Quick question, because maybe I'm missing something.

If the Jets and Bucs have interest and are willing to take his salary, then why aren't we basically handing him over to them. At this point compensation is the wrong thing to worry about when it comes to resolving this situation. Especially with talk on ESPN of the Packers considering a Trade within the division. I would gladly give Favre away for basically nothing to one of those teams then see him go in the North.

Favre won't talk to those teams so they will not be willing to give anything up for a player they are uncertain about

TitleTown088
07-31-2008, 11:19 AM
The clearest way to resolve this situation is to give Favre his outright release. If he goes to the Vikings that will be his choice. If the organization is truly committed to turning the page then it is time to do so.

This has gotten ridiculous. Seriously ridiculous. It would be in the best interest of the organization to simply move on.

Offering Favre money to stay retired? If true that makes the Packers look weak and afraid. Show the league otherwise. Grant him his release.
You can't release him to go to the vikings/ Bears, if that were the instance why not trade him there and get some compensation?

GB12
07-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Favre won't talk to those teams so they will not be willing to give anything up for a player they are uncertain about
As I said in the NFL forum thread, we should do what the Broncos did with Jake Plummer. We could trade him to Tampa and then he'd either have to live with it and be a Buc next year or stay retired.

We either come out the best possible situation of this mess with him staying retired or we traded him out of the division and got a draft pick. I can't find a negative to doing that.

Smokey
07-31-2008, 12:04 PM
You can't release him to go to the vikings/ Bears, if that were the instance why not trade him there and get some compensation?

If the Packers trade him to those teams the backlash could be harsh - But if he's released outright, couched in a demanor of it being best for the team, and he chooses to sign with the Vikes or Bears then it will be Favre who will be seen as the traitor. By some anyway.

Is the compensation gained from such a trade enough to outweigh the negative sentiment?

Smokey
07-31-2008, 12:06 PM
I have heard that we're willing to trade Favre in a player for player deal looking for a D tackle. Makes sense, considering Williams, Jolly, etc.

GB12
07-31-2008, 12:08 PM
If the only two possibilities we have in the end are either trade him to the Vikings or release him and let him sign with the Vikings I'd definitely trade him.

TitleTown088
07-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Trade him for Hutch or Pat Williams... I wish. Well, not wish, I absolutely don't want to see him on the queens, but either of those guys would be great, but won't happen.

Ahhh... WTF, just be over with.

ChezPower4
07-31-2008, 12:39 PM
I have heard that we're willing to trade Favre in a player for player deal looking for a D tackle. Makes sense, considering Williams, Jolly, etc.

If we have to trade Favre then i would much rather have a draft pick(s) for him insted of a player. Unless the player was a very promising young player and i doubt any team would part with a promising young player for a 38 year old quarterback.

bearsfan_51
07-31-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't see why people keep mentioning the Bears. If Favre doesn't want to go to the Jets I have no idea why people think he'd want to go to the Bears, unless he's a real big fan of Marty Booker.

GB12
07-31-2008, 12:44 PM
I don't see why people keep mentioning the Bears. If Favre doesn't want to go to the Jets I have no idea why people think he'd want to go to the Bears, unless he's a real big fan of Marty Booker.
You obviously don't get it.

Favre to the Bears is a much better story for ESPN.

princefielder28
07-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Favre is headed to Green Bay; he has chartered a flight to GB

ChezPower4
07-31-2008, 01:54 PM
Favre is headed to Green Bay; he has chartered a flight to GB

How do you know this?

Twiddler
07-31-2008, 02:58 PM
How do you know this?

I remember hearing it announced on ESPN. I'm not going to waste time finding a link, but I'm sure its there somewhere.

ChezPower4
07-31-2008, 03:45 PM
I remember hearing it announced on ESPN. I'm not going to waste time finding a link, but I'm sure its there somewhere.

I found it on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d809a2cd1

PackerLegend
07-31-2008, 04:07 PM
How do you know this?

The Green Bay Press-Gazette has confirmed a report that Brett Favre will arrive in Green Bay on Thursday.

Favre is flying in from Mississippi on his agent Bus Cook's plane, which he's used before. The Packers begin Friday morning's practice at 9:45 ET. The NFL has yet to formally reinstate Favre, but has time to do it. If he's taken off reserve/retired, Favre must pass a physical and running test to practice. Judging by his workouts at Oak Grove high, that won't be a problem.

umphrey
07-31-2008, 05:44 PM

I'm starting to wonder if he wants to go to the NFCN just to stick it to ted twice a year and make him look dumb.

Smokey
07-31-2008, 05:45 PM
Link below:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Twiddler
07-31-2008, 09:53 PM
Link below:

Yeah, I just saw this. What the hell? I thought the trade possibility to the Jets wasn't going to happen because Favre wouldn't go there. Oh well, I'm not complaining, just confused, as I'd much rather have Favre go to the Jets. But.... (this just struck me) since we are saying that we are discussing trade with NFC North teams now would it drive up the interest from the Jets and overall price that they pay because more teams are now talking to us?

neko4
07-31-2008, 10:03 PM
If we keep Favre on the team and he out performs A-Rod in practice, do you think we'll actually play him?
I know TT said A-Rod is the number 1, but if Favre looks better than why shouldnt he start?

princefielder28
07-31-2008, 10:37 PM
If we keep Favre on the team and he out performs A-Rod in practice, do you think we'll actually play him?
I know TT said A-Rod is the number 1, but if Favre looks better than why shouldnt he start?

Favre would not be given a fair shake

GB12
07-31-2008, 10:43 PM
Great news (http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/31/favre-willing-to-take-packers-offer.aspx) if it happens.

princefielder28
07-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Great news (http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/31/favre-willing-to-take-packers-offer.aspx) if it happens.

A positive solution

Goatboy1717
08-01-2008, 12:02 AM

That would be great but that just doesnt sound like him. I dont see him taking it.

umphrey
08-01-2008, 01:55 AM
"My intentions have been to play, and with Green Bay," Favre told Werder. "They say no, so I still want to play in this division for obvious reasons, which I made clear to management. If they won't let me play in Green Bay, let me play
against you. That's where I am."

Almost confirms my theory that Favre just wants to stick it to Ted Thompson

Twiddler
08-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Almost confirms my theory that Favre just wants to stick it to Ted Thompson

Yeah, I had this thought too. I mean I understand where he is coming from as he's probably pretty pissed off at Ted but I don't see why he would say it publicly at this point. It just seems like a stupid thing to go public with.

jackalope
08-01-2008, 09:48 AM

That would be a great way out of this whole mess.

If that can't get done and Favre is willing to go to the Jets, that would easily be the next best option, regardless or compensation.

ChezPower4
08-01-2008, 10:49 AM

To me this is the best out come given the way this situation has continually evolved for the worse. Would love to see Favre working in the front office. Think that he might coach someday for us....?

Twiddler
08-01-2008, 10:51 AM
To me this is the best out come given the way this situation has continually evolved for the worse. Would love to see Favre working in the front office. Think that he might coach someday for us....?

To be honest, I don't see Favre as the coaching type.

umphrey
08-01-2008, 11:36 AM
I don't think he would make a good coach at all, even a low level type like QB coach. I think he'll be more like a figurehead for the organization.

Goatboy1717
08-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Grant 'not anywhere near a deal' (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080731/PKR01/80731099/1058&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL)

Doesn't sound good at all.

johbur
08-02-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm more irritated by the Grant thing than the Favre thing. Favre created a circus, but at least my father got a really good laugh when he found out that Ari Fleischer came in to help them massage this mess.

What's the deal with Grant? Get him a contract and get him in! Anyone know what he's asking? If he wants LT money, then he's the problem. If he wants first round rookie money, let's say Lawrence Maroney, give it to him as he's shown he's better than any rookie we could get. I feel having Grant there for the majority of camp is essential for Rodgers to have a good year. We'll see how this goes...

Goatboy1717
08-02-2008, 01:26 AM
On Sunday, the eve of training camp, Herman blasted the Packers for the six-year offer they made to Grant. Herman said the team proposed a $1.75 million signing bonus and no other guaranteed money over the length of the deal. Herman was looking for at least twice that in a signing bonus and the possibility for Grant to earn salary escalators that would become guaranteed if he hit certain production marks.

The offer they made him is just ridiculous. I completely agree. We need him in camp.

princefielder28
08-02-2008, 08:41 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=779147\

Grant seeking $40 million

Geo
08-02-2008, 10:08 AM
My advice is to read the article first, before responding. Because I know it warrants a kneejerk reaction when just seeing that number, I had it to.

As ridiculous as a 6-yr, 40M contract for Grant now sounds, that is the maximum of his camp's offer if he can reach big incentives. For example, as noted in the article (his agent leaked the details imo), he has to rush for 2000 yards in either of the next two seasons to get the $10M max base salary in '10. 1100 rushing yards and it's a 2M base salary in '10. And so on.

Not I'm am particularly agreeing with it or not. I'm not quite sure what to think of this, about an incentive-laden contract after one season, it's a lofty goal for Grant and his agent.

ChezPower4
08-02-2008, 11:11 AM
The offer they made him is just ridiculous. I completely agree. We need him in camp.

The offer we gave him is fine, i see nothing wrong with it. He only started 10 games for us last year and we still do not know if he will be successful now that we don't have Favre to scare defenses with his arm. This would be like giving a Rookie a big deal after he had a great rookie season. If teams did actually did this look where the Buc's would be with Michael Clayton.

Grant can their accept the ERFA tender, Accept the contract that we have offered him, or he can take up another career and retire.

ChezPower4
08-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Weird thing happened to me today at work. I work for Apple iphone technical support and I got a call to day from the Dallas Cowboys Anthony Henry. Seems like a real cool guy and i told him he was going to have to do a software restore on his phone and he said he would get on of the rookies to do it. Then i asked him if he would have Mike Jenkins do it because i was still kinda mad that the Cowboys traded up to take him in the first round. He laughed and said that he would do have Mike fix his phone for him.

Also said TO is looking really good in camp

TitleTown088
08-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Sheftler is reporting Favre is likely going to take the money...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/02/report-favre-to-take-the-money/

princefielder28
08-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Sheftler is reporting Favre is likely going to take the money...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/02/report-favre-to-take-the-money/

cutting him on the eve of the opener would be a dick move

TitleTown088
08-02-2008, 06:08 PM
cutting him on the eve of the opener would be a dick move

Dick move sure, but also a smart move. The Packers need to do what's best for the franchise first and secondly what's best for Brett Favre. If he's going to a divisional opponent you don't want him to be as best prepared as possible, especially if that's going to be at home against the queens in week one.

princefielder28
08-02-2008, 06:20 PM
There's one thing that will concern me greatly if Favre is re-instated and not given a fair shake at the starting spot; how many other players on this team, who are backups but are performing very well, don't get the chance to play and feel that it's because they're not "Ted Thompson Guys." Aaron Rodgers is obviously one of those "Guys" and how long will it be before more players suspect that they are not playing because of their status in Thompson's eyes. Nick Collins can be looked at as a TT Guy more than Aaron Rouse; when will Rouse's production give him the benefit of the doubt over Collins 2nd round billing and lack of improvement/production since day one. Did Corey Williams get moved so Justin Harrell could be given a shot to play? Possibly...granted Corey was expecting a nice payday, but he showed solid production throughout the season and playoffs and was a great combo with Pickett inside.

Ted has done a good job as the Packers' GM and over the last three years this team has improve dramatically, but has TT's ego possibly gotten in the way of this team taking that step up to the highest level?

Geo
08-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Good news, Packers fans. Jay Glazer is reporting that the team and Ryan Grant have agreed to an extension (http://nmsn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8406976), details unrevealed thus far.

Goatboy1717
08-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Good news, Packers fans. Jay Glazer is reporting that the team and Ryan Grant have agreed to an extension (http://nmsn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8406976), details unrevealed thus far.

Yes! Great news.

jackalope
08-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Great news for both the Grant and Favre situations.

princefielder28
08-02-2008, 08:06 PM

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/08/02/grant-s-deal-is-done-he-ll-report-sunday.aspx

4 years, $30 mil potentially

TitleTown088
08-02-2008, 08:22 PM
SO much for the stale mate huh? shows you what the media knows.

Twiddler
08-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Great to see that. I was really starting to get concerned there.

Favre4
08-02-2008, 10:43 PM
it almost sees like goodell is making it hard for the packers to trade favre by not reinstating him....i mean the first preseason game is tomorrow with a few more on thursday. if a trade gets worked out, favre has less than 3 and a half weeks to learn an offense and create chemistry with new players before the regular season starts. i dont know how favre thinks he is going to lead a team anywhere with that lack of preparation. i just hope they can work something out with this 25 mill over 10 years marketing contract

PACKmanN
08-02-2008, 10:47 PM
I am not happy with the fact of him making 8 million the first 2 years.

Favre4
08-02-2008, 11:03 PM
i think thats why its only a 4 year deal. thompson knows backs are fairly easy to find and doesnt that that grant is a dynamic back. he seems kind of like a pitcher first coming up from the majors. defenses will figure him out and he wont be as effective over time.

neko4
08-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Well lets start thinking for the future since Grant will be gone in 4 years:
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=57008&Sport=1

PACKmanN
08-03-2008, 04:02 AM
Well lets start thinking for the future since Grant will be gone in 4 years:
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=57008&Sport=1

No way in hell he will be a Packer, and I think he leaves after 3 years.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=49060&Sport=1

Favre4
08-03-2008, 09:01 AM
you have to remember that thompson doesnt go after flashy players, and i dont see him using a high pick on a running back especially since he found ryan grant sitting at the bottum of the giants roster. so you can rule out guys like cj spiller, greg cooper, or javaris james. i would expect to see him take a shot at a guy who quietly does his job for 4 years at a smaller school and is a 'packer person' as thompson likes to call it. a couple great examples are recent draft picks like brian brohm, jordy nelson, greg jennings, and aj hawk even though he played on a national stage and was one of the best players in the country.

EvilMonkey
08-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Favre reinstated by the league
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3517219

ChezPower4
08-03-2008, 01:48 PM
happy to see that we signed Grant. Will be nice to have him in camp.

Twiddler
08-03-2008, 01:58 PM
you have to remember that thompson doesnt go after flashy players, and i dont see him using a high pick on a running back especially since he found ryan grant sitting at the bottum of the giants roster. so you can rule out guys like cj spiller, greg cooper, or javaris james. i would expect to see him take a shot at a guy who quietly does his job for 4 years at a smaller school and is a 'packer person' as thompson likes to call it. a couple great examples are recent draft picks like brian brohm, jordy nelson, greg jennings, and aj hawk even though he played on a national stage and was one of the best players in the country.

It doesn't rule out possibly taking those kind of players but you are right that TT is less likely to take guys like that. However, its pretty big waste of time to be looking at high school players that the Packers could possibly draft in a few years. Seriously, they haven't even started college yet and need to first perform at college before we consider looking at them.

ChezPower4
08-03-2008, 02:08 PM
It doesn't rule out possibly taking those kind of players but you are right that TT is less likely to take guys like that. However, its pretty big waste of time to be looking at high school players that the Packers could possibly draft in a few years. Seriously, they haven't even started college yet and need to first perform at college before we consider looking at them.

I agree with that, we don't even know if those high school players will even make it in college. You never know how college kids are going to act when they are out on their own and have to goto classes on their own. We should start taking about these guys when their juinors in college. Good point Twiddler

princefielder28
08-03-2008, 03:19 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/08/03/negotiations-dead-favre-to-compete-for-starting-job.aspx

Guess Favre is going to be given a fair shake

GB12
08-03-2008, 04:06 PM
There's one thing that will concern me greatly if Favre is re-instated and not given a fair shake at the starting spot; how many other players on this team, who are backups but are performing very well, don't get the chance to play and feel that it's because they're not "Ted Thompson Guys." Aaron Rodgers is obviously one of those "Guys" and how long will it be before more players suspect that they are not playing because of their status in Thompson's eyes. Nick Collins can be looked at as a TT Guy more than Aaron Rouse; when will Rouse's production give him the benefit of the doubt over Collins 2nd round billing and lack of improvement/production since day one. Did Corey Williams get moved so Justin Harrell could be given a shot to play? Possibly...granted Corey was expecting a nice payday, but he showed solid production throughout the season and playoffs and was a great combo with Pickett inside.

Ted has done a good job as the Packers' GM and over the last three years this team has improve dramatically, but has TT's ego possibly gotten in the way of this team taking that step up to the highest level?
I think that's a ridiculous argument to make. Especially bringing up the free safety position. Rouse was drafted by Thompson just like Collins. And I definitely wouldn't say Rouse should be starting based on his production. He got the big plays with interceptions, but Collins has been better overall. We didn't move Corey Williams just for Harrell. We moved him because we an excess of DTs, we weren't going to sign him long term, and the return in a trade was good. Every one of the things you brought up had good reason behind it not just because Thompson wanted it to happen like you're suggesting. Thompson doesn't have a ton of say in who plays anyway. After he brings in the players it's mostly up to McCarthy.

TitleTown088
08-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Anyone know how to watch the scrimmage online tonight??

EvilMonkey
08-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I think that's a ridiculous argument to make. Especially bringing up the free safety position. Rouse was drafted by Thompson just like Collins. And I definitely wouldn't say Rouse should be starting based on his production. He got the big plays with interceptions, but Collins has been better overall. We didn't move Corey Williams just for Harrell. We moved him because we an excess of DTs, we weren't going to sign him long term, and the return in a trade was good. Every one of the things you brought up had good reason behind it not just because Thompson wanted it to happen like you're suggesting. Thompson doesn't have a ton of say in who plays anyway. After he brings in the players it's mostly up to McCarthy.

i would agree with this except for the fact that it was pretty well-known that sherman and TT's biggest rift came mainly because he wouldnt play TT's guys (which i had no problem with TT doing that, when ur 4-12 you play ur young guys and see what you have). I think the TT's guys argument has merit but dont quite get the Collins vs. Rouse thing since they are both TT guys. How is one more of a TT guy than the other??

princefielder28
08-03-2008, 05:32 PM
i would agree with this except for the fact that it was pretty well-known that sherman and TT's biggest rift came mainly because he wouldnt play TT's guys (which i had no problem with TT doing that, when ur 4-12 you play ur young guys and see what you have). I think the TT's guys argument has merit but dont quite get the Collins vs. Rouse thing since they are both TT guys. How is one more of a TT guy than the other??

The value of the pick invested into the player...Collins, when drafted, was brought in to play early and develop into a solid contributor; while Rouse was drafted to supply depth and not expected to be a factor early.

Twiddler
08-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Open competition, hmmm. I hope Rodgers is ready to bring his A game the next few weeks and I'll be rooting for him.

Pacific
08-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Open competition, hmmm. I hope Rodgers is ready to bring his A game the next few weeks and I'll be rooting for him.

I too will be rooting for Rodgers. If Favre is leading us I'll be behind him but I'm still frustrated with what he's done to us and I think Rodgers needs to be behind center if we are going to contend beyond this year.

TitleTown088
08-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Ari Fleischer has been hired by the Packers for one month... Hmmmm

ChezPower4
08-03-2008, 06:57 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/08/03/negotiations-dead-favre-to-compete-for-starting-job.aspx

Guess Favre is going to be given a fair shake

This is great! So who ever is starting for us come week one we know earned it. If Rodgers is as ready as TT and Mike say he is then this compotition should make him play better. To me if Rodgers can't handle a compotition for his job then he can't handle starting in a big game. Can't wait to see who gets the nod come week one. I hope they pick the player who gives us the best chance to win a super bowl this year.

princefielder28
08-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Brett just landed in Green Bay

Hundreds of people cheering him on at Austin Straubel Airport

jackalope
08-03-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm not a big fan of the open competition, if that is what they choose to do. I will definitely be pulling for Rodgers if they go that route, but hopefully he's traded elsewhere at this point.

ChezPower4
08-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Kinda seems like no one wants Favre to win the starting job.

princefielder28
08-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Kinda seems like no one wants Favre to win the starting job.

Ahhh I am strongly favoring Favre; I don't have anything against Rodgers, but I want the team that will be most successful to be on the field

ChezPower4
08-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Ahhh I am strongly favoring Favre; I don't have anything against Rodgers, but I want the team that will be most successful to be on the field

Me to I was excited to hear that Favre was coming back. And was really surprised when the Packers did want him back. He had one of the best years of his career last year. If Favre had not retired i think that there would not even be a question about who the starter would be this year. I'm really hoping that Favre wins because IMO he gives us the best chance to win. I just don't like the fact that Rodgers has no starting expericnce and is still somewhat of an unknown of how he'll turn out.

TitleTown088
08-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Hmmmm..... Hopefully they are only checking their options out.

An executive in personnel for an NFL team with close ties to clubs in the NFC North Division told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the Packers called the Vikings on Friday informing them that Favre was available.

"They've kind of said through one of their (front-office) guys that if Favre did report they would potentially trade him within the division," the executive said late Sunday afternoon.

The source said the conversation between officials from the two bitter rivals was brief. There was no discussion about possible compensation.

James "Bus" Cook, Favre's agent, has not been involved in talks with the Vikings regarding a possible restructuring of his contract, according to the source.

The contact by the Packers was termed "a feeler" in the event Favre rejected the multimillion-dollar marketing and promotional agreement offered by Green Bay.

"They thought he would agree to it," the executive said. "Evidently, he didn't agree to it."

The Vikings, according to the source, remain convinced that the Packers don't want Favre on their roster in 2008.

It appears more and more as if the Vikings are the only team in the NFC North with legitimate interest in Favre. On Thursday, top officials of the Detroit Lions said they wouldn't trade for him. In Chicago, coach Lovie Smith said he was happy with quarterbacks Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton.

GB12
08-03-2008, 11:42 PM
I know we all have been dying to know who'd win the long snapper battle, well we have a winner.

Your new long snapper of the Green Bay Packers...

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/961/380370.jpg
JJ Jansen

PACKmanN
08-03-2008, 11:44 PM
I know we all have been dying to know who'd win the long snapper battle, well we have a winner.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/72583689.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB6957B457A4C9AA99 A40A659CEC4C8CB6
JJ Jansen

I thought it would be him, gives us the better potential and future. Plus Davis is always here and can help him improve on some of his problems.

TitleTown088
08-03-2008, 11:45 PM
I'd really prefer to not know his name, unless it's in the same manner as Rob Davis.

Twiddler
08-03-2008, 11:49 PM
He's no Rob Davis, that's for sure, haha.

For trading Favre to the Vikings, I can honestly say that I'm leaning towards doing it if necessary. It sounds terrible and really is, but he has put us in a really tough spot with few options remaining. That and I hate the idea of an open competition. Why Brett, why?

ChezPower4
08-04-2008, 12:16 AM
He's no Rob Davis, that's for sure, haha.

For trading Favre to the Vikings, I can honestly say that I'm leaning towards doing it if necessary. It sounds terrible and really is, but he has put us in a really tough spot with few options remaining. That and I hate the idea of an open competition. Why Brett, why?

I don't see why open competition would be bad? Then we know that the best QB on our roster is leading our team. We shouldn't start Rodgers just because he's was drafted to be the future QB. If Favre is on the roster and preforms better in camp then he deserves to start.

RockJock07
08-04-2008, 12:16 AM

I would say Brett is the one that needs to bring his A game. Brett can throw to high schoolers all day long but I doubt his as sharp physically and mentally as Aaron is right now. Aaron has had the benefit of working in the system that has been tailored to fit him.

Look I think either brett is a packer or he's retired. He can't go to New york or Tampa because those are totally new systems with different personel. That takes time to learn, Brett would miss half the season just getting used to a totally new system. TT could send him to Min because that's a system that is in the ballpark but unless you get a couple of 1st rounders, I wouldn't even consider it.

Twiddler
08-04-2008, 12:53 AM
I don't see why open competition would be bad? Then we know that the best QB on our roster is leading our team. We shouldn't start Rodgers just because he's was drafted to be the future QB. If Favre is on the roster and preforms better in camp then he deserves to start.

I guess I just really want to move on and am afraid that if Favre gets the starting job this year then Rodgers bolts after free agency. And who's to say that an open competition won't screw with team chemistry? I'm not saying it will for sure, but Favre coming in like this and having his way with the team may hurt us. I'm probably biased right now on the issue though because of how much I want Rodgers to start.

I would say Brett is the one that needs to bring his A game. Brett can throw to high schoolers all day long but I doubt his as sharp physically and mentally as Aaron is right now. Aaron has had the benefit of working in the system that has been tailored to fit him.

Look I think either brett is a packer or he's retired. He can't go to New york or Tampa because those are totally new systems with different personel. That takes time to learn, Brett would miss half the season just getting used to a totally new system. TT could send him to Min because that's a system that is in the ballpark but unless you get a couple of 1st rounders, I wouldn't even consider it.

Yeah, I know Aaron is physically and mentally ready to go right now but I think that no longer having security on the starting job and having a future HOFer competing against you might really take a toll on his play. Yeah, I think that Aaron is a mentally strong guy from what I've seen, but I'm not sure that he is strong enough to handle pressure like he is going to see in the next few weeks. I'm not sure that anyone is able to handle such pressure. It really sucks for him.

mqtirishfan
08-04-2008, 01:01 AM

And Brett has the advantage of being the better QB.

drowe
08-04-2008, 10:12 AM
i am happy with these new developements and i am officially on the 'trade aaron rodgers' bandwagon. he might be good. but, i don't think GB is the place for him anymore. i am more comfortable with Brian Brohm learning behind Favre for one year and then taking over.

ChezPower4
08-04-2008, 11:27 AM
i am happy with these new developements and i am officially on the 'trade aaron rodgers' bandwagon. he might be good. but, i don't think GB is the place for him anymore. i am more comfortable with Brian Brohm learning behind Favre for one year and then taking over.

I would be concerned if we traded Rodgers so Brohm could start next year. Brohm did show some promise in the scrimmage last night but I would prefer if we waited two years before we considered starting him. I don't think Rodgers would bolt in FA because he knows the offense and at some point Favre will be gone and he will be the starter.

Favre4ever
08-04-2008, 12:09 PM

Collins is better overall for now. Rouse will take his spot very soon.

roughrider30
08-04-2008, 12:34 PM

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/961/380370.jpg
JJ Jansen

Plus it provides our team with yet another alliteration on the roster :D So it makes sense

GB12
08-04-2008, 12:48 PM
So I was looking on packers.com and I saw that Shaun Bodiford is on IR. Anyone know what happened?

drowe
08-04-2008, 01:14 PM
So I was looking on packers.com and I saw that Shaun Bodiford is on IR. Anyone know what happened?

did he just get placed on IR? if so, that could be roster move to make room for that Bert Favor guy.

GB12
08-04-2008, 01:17 PM
did he just get placed on IR? if so, that could be roster move to make room for that Bert Favor guy.
It says he was placed there on 7/28 and it's listed as "back". I didn't hear anything about it until I saw it looking at the roster just now.

I want to find out more about this to see how real the injury is. My first thought was that we put him on IR to keep him another year.

TitleTown088
08-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Bodiford on IR is old news, but I don't remember how it happened.

Tampering charges were dropped on Vikings

princefielder28
08-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Dammit...no press conference until tomorrow

TitleTown088
08-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Good god, this just keeps getting worse and worse.

TitleTown088
08-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Hopefully Rodgers can keep responding to pressure like this because he's going to be seeing plenty of it this season

As some fans again were chanting “We want Favre” during a red-zone team drill, Aaron Rodgers proceeded to get his pass batted down at the line of scrimmage by Cullen Jenkins. Some of the chanting fans erupted into cheers -- such is the circus-like atmosphere that has pervaded Clarke Hinkle Field

It wasn’t all bad for Rodgers, however, during the red-zone drill. He lofted a nifty touchdown pass to James Jones, who made a spectacular one-handed grab, to the delight of cheering fans. Rodgers also had touchdown passes to Donald Lee and Taj Smith during the drill.

GB12
08-05-2008, 04:30 PM
I love how Rodgers has handled all this crap going on.

Brett Favre comes out of this looking terrible. The Packers come out of this looking bad. Aaron Rodgers comes out of this looking great.

Just makes me believe even more he's ready to be a starting QB in this league.

TitleTown088
08-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Aaron Rodgers comes out of this looking great.

Not to most of the stupid Packer fans who boo him at practes and scimmages. Rodgers is now going to have even more to prove this season.

Rumor is brett to Tampa for a 2nd and maybe more.... I sure hope so.

GB12
08-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Not to most of the stupid Packer fans who boo him at practes and scimmages. Rodgers is now going to have even more to prove this season.

I just want him out of Green Bay and away from Minnesota. I'd give him to Tampa for a 4th. A 2nd would be great.

Mr.Regular
08-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Ive got a bad feeling.... I think the sh*t hits the fan tonight.

umphrey
08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
I don't care so much anymore what happens as long as it happens soon. As long as Favre is on a different team, that is.

TitleTown088
08-05-2008, 04:50 PM
I just want him out of Green Bay and away from Minnesota. I'd give him to Tampa for a 4th. A 2nd would be great.

Yeah, I read a 2nd and more(for what it's worth), however, I don't see that too likely. If they did Tampa didn't take full advantage of the situation.

jackalope
08-05-2008, 04:52 PM

Hopefully a deal like that gets done soon. I really don't even care about the compensation at this point.

jackalope
08-05-2008, 08:33 PM
After reading the press-conference transcript it doesn't sound like Favre will be a Packer for too long. McCarthy continuously said Favre wasn't in the right "mindset" to be a Packer.

PackerLegend
08-05-2008, 11:56 PM
According to JSOnline reported at 1145 a Favre to Tampa trade should be done within next 24 hours. Favre said he wouldnt stand in the way of a trade there and his wife also approved... ( guess she has to lol) the Jets can still be in the race but does Favre want to go there..

neko4
08-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Lets just get through this year and just forget what has happened and only focus on the good times Favre has brought us. It maybe hard for some i guess

Goatboy1717
08-06-2008, 12:49 AM
I hate the fans that are booing Rodgers. It just makes no sense. They are just making it tougher on him. I just hope he can rise above it and perform. Kinda shove it in their face.

Twiddler
08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
I hate the fans that are booing Rodgers. It just makes no sense. They are just making it tougher on him. I just hope he can rise above it and perform. Kinda shove it in their face.

Sad thing is, they'll always be there reminding us that Favre was better, because Favre will have had a better career. Some people are just stupid.

Bateman
08-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Sad thing is, they'll always be there reminding us that Favre was better, because Favre will have had a better career. Some people are just stupid.

Bingo. You can blame the Packers organization for this I suppose, but nothing Aaron Rodgers did deserves criticism. The guy has been nothing but a class act through this entire situation.

princefielder28
08-06-2008, 10:03 AM

I think the booing of Rodgers is more a reflection of the fans' feelings towards Thompson's and McCarthy's decisions in regards to the Favre situation and what Aaron Rodgers symbolizes; they're not booing Aaron, his person, or his game.

ChezPower4
08-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Lets just get through this year and just forget what has happened and only focus on the good times Favre has brought us. It maybe hard for some i guess

none of this will matter in a few years, I think that everyone will always remember Favre as a packer. When I think of Joe Montana I never think of him as being a chief, just a 49er.

princefielder28
08-06-2008, 12:33 PM
TT was suppose to have an 1130 press conference, but it has been delayed until sometime this afternoon...hmmmm?

jackalope
08-06-2008, 12:55 PM
TT was suppose to have an 1130 press conference, but it has been delayed until sometime this afternoon...hmmmm?

Could he be waiting until he has a trade finalized?

ChezPower4
08-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Could he be waiting until he has a trade finalized?

Probably .... does anyone know what TT was asking for Favre in a trade the last two days?

princefielder28
08-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Probably .... does anyone know what TT was asking for Favre in a trade the last two days?

A first round escalator and then work down from there if necessary

TitleTown088
08-06-2008, 01:56 PM
In other news Sitton, has been tearing up TC, MM said he will compete for the sarting Guard job.

Twiddler
08-06-2008, 03:28 PM
I think the booing of Rodgers is more a reflection of the fans' feelings towards Thompson's and McCarthy's decisions in regards to the Favre situation and what Aaron Rodgers symbolizes; they're not booing Aaron, his person, or his game.

Yeah, that would make sense, but they're still idiots for it. Sorry to be frank about it, I'm not too proud of some of our fans right now.

ChezPower4
08-06-2008, 03:38 PM
A first round escalator and then work down from there if necessary

That would be nice if we got a first rounder for him but I don't really see that happening now with the current situation. It seems like TT want to get rid of Favre more than other teams want him.

Meta4
08-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Here is a little more motivation for the Dallas game this year. Crayton rips A-Rod

Green Bay - Talk about the pot calling the kettle black: Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Patrick Crayton told reporters Tuesday that "Green Bay is the biggest saga" in the NFL.

"That's a soap opera, and I'm glad it's going on up there," said Crayton, whose teammates include tabloid darlings Tony Romo, Terrell Owens and Pacman Jones. "They can't even pay attention to what's going on on the field."

But the mouthy receiver reserved his strongest words for Brett Favre's replacement, Aaron Rodgers.

"(The Favre situation is) shaking Aaron Rodgers regardless of what they're saying up there. I think it's shaking him," Crayton said. "The coaches need to hurry up and get that under control.

"Keep Aaron Rodgers in there, because we've got to play them the third game (on Sept. 21). So have Aaron Rodgers playing when we get there."

When it was pointed out that Rodgers performed well for an injured Favre in the Cowboys' eventual 37-27 victory over the Packers, Crayton dismissed Rodgers' performance quickly.

"That was last year," Crayton said. "Did we have film on him?

"I know their defense had film on him in their scrimmage and what did he do?"

Rodgers was 7-for-20 and heard a few boos on Sunday night.

Crayton had three catches -- two for touchdowns -- in the win over the Packers last season.

He also had two crucial drops in the Cowboys' loss to the Giants in the divisional round of the playoffs.

"That’s what happens with people like that,” Giants linebacker Kawika Mitchell said at the time. “They stick their foot in their mouth and they end up going home early. We’re still in the dance and we’ll be having some fun, while they’ll be watching us on TV.”

PACKmanN
08-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Someone needs to work on holding on to the ball before talking any crap about other teams qbs.

Twiddler
08-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Patrick Crayton, seriously? Oh well, not like what he thinks really matters at this point to us. We've got bigger things to worry about.

FLORIDA PACKER
08-06-2008, 07:12 PM
When Crayton I dunnoo... Actually DOES something in the NFL he can run his mouth. T.O. As much as I dislike him is good enough that he's earned the right to talk smack, Crayton is nothing but a nat riding on the coat tails of an Eagle in this one, Dude would be nothing on another team as a number one wideout. Close your mouth and play ball, Hope our D inserts that foot hard into it come week three.

TitleTown088
08-06-2008, 08:12 PM
To update on what I said earlier, it sounds like there could be some BIG changes on the Oline..

Right guard, it seemed, was Jason Spitz’s spot.

That changed on Wednesday, when Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Spitz would join the competition on the left side, leaving rookie fourth-round draft pick Josh Sitton in the driver’s seat to earn a chance to start on the right.

“Josh has taken full advantage of his opportunity,” McCarthy said. “That’s why we’re going to give him an opportunity to compete and win the right guard position, and really kind of take Daryn and Allen and Jason and really kind of work a three- or four-man rotation in the left guard and center position.”

The change in plans indicates Sitton has performed better in training camp than Colledge, the former second-round draft pick who has started 29 games (including playoffs) at left guard in two NFL seasons, and Barbre.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080806/PKR01/80806163/1058&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

ChezPower4
08-06-2008, 08:35 PM
To update on what I said earlier, it sounds like there could be some BIG changes on the Oline..

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080806/PKR01/80806163/1058&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

Whatever will improve our o-line, that was probably our weakest unit last season

jackalope
08-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah, that would make sense, but they're still idiots for it. Sorry to be frank about it, I'm not too proud of some of our fans right now.

Yeah, I'm really disappointed in the number of fans that are attacking Rodgers.

People are making such a big deal of Rodgers' below average performance in the scrimmage. I mean, it's a scrimmage. He's looked fine in past preseasons and against Dallas, the most meaningful playing time he's had. I find it especially funny that those comments come from a Cowboy after Rodgers had a QB rating of over 100 against them.

TitleTown088
08-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Whatever will improve our o-line, that was probably our weakest unit last season

The interior, The tackles were great as always.

Also Rodgers was tearing in practice today.

GB12
08-06-2008, 09:47 PM
The interior
Scott Wells doesn't get the respect he deserves. He's been very good ever since taking the starting job. It's really just the guards. 3/5ths of our line is great, it's just the other two that needs a little work.

If Sitton continues what he's been doing and takes the starting job on the right I expect Spitz to start on the left.

FLORIDA PACKER
08-06-2008, 10:04 PM
People are making such a big deal of Rodgers' below average performance in the scrimmage. I mean, it's a scrimmage. He's looked fine in past preseasons and against Dallas, the most meaningful playing time he's had. I find it especially funny that those comments come from a Cowboy after Rodgers had a QB rating of over 100 against them.

Seriously, I mean a scrimmage and Even PRE season games can be misleading about a player. Didn't Ryan Leaf have a 100 something QB rating in the preseason his first couple years? Akili Smith as well. Proves that we wont know anything till about 3 or 4 games into the season for sure.

As much as I was against him being drafted in 05 Im going to support him providing he doesn't go out and do anything stupid OFF the field, which I seriously doubt he will, especially with the microscope on him now.

jackalope
08-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Ted Thompson is one hell of a drafter. Wasn't Josh Sitton the guy that basically nobody had heard of when we drafted him?

TitleTown088
08-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Scott Wells doesn't get the respect he deserves. He's been very good ever since taking the starting job. It's really just the guards. 3/5ths of our line is great.

While Scott Wells is a solid player, calling him great is getting ahead of yourself. He's a solid center who is a good pass blocker, however he has had some struggles in run blocking. There is even talk of a center training camp battle between him and Spitz in the GB press Gazette.

Personally, I'd look for him to win at the other guard spot too.

Ted Thompson is one hell of a drafter. Wasn't Josh Sitton the guy that basically nobody had heard of when we drafted him?

The Sitten news is encouraging, but he hasn't even started a game yet, or won the position. I'd be a bit more patient before we start calling a 4th rounder the next Faneca.

You're right though, no one had Him on their boards, and if he turns out to be good it will be one hell of a draft pick.

GB12
08-06-2008, 10:16 PM
While Scott Wells is a solid player, calling him great is getting ahead of yourself. He's a solid center who is a good pass blocker, however he has had some struggles in run blocking. There is even talk of a center training camp battle between him and Spitz in the GB press Gazette.

Personally, I'd look for him to win at the other guard spot too.
I didn't mean to call him great, but center is a position that no upgrade is needed.

I doubt there'd be a battle between Wells and Spitz at center. Wells has a lock on his spot. Spitz has been getting a lot more time at center because Wells has been injured, but I don't think there's any question who the starter is.

PackerLegend
08-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Favre to Jets now official per ESPN... yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Goatboy1717
08-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Favre to Jets now official per ESPN... yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yep. Its officially over now.

Sportsfan486
08-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Yep. Its officially over now.

Wow and to the Jets. Ha. Enjoy missing the playoffs and fading into obscurity, Favre. Unless he suddenly plays better than he EVER has, no way that team is making the playoffs.

I expect a really bad year from Favre. Sub-80 passer rating. At least 25 picks if he starts all year. Just wow.

Great ending to this crap. ENJOY SUCKSVILLE, FAVRE!

princefielder28
08-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Wow and to the Jets. Ha. Enjoy missing the playoffs and fading into obscurity, Favre. Unless he suddenly plays better than he EVER has, no way that team is making the playoffs.

I expect a really bad year from Favre. Sub-80 passer rating. At least 25 picks if he starts all year. Just wow.

Great ending to this crap. ENJOY SUCKSVILLE, FAVRE!

boy oh boy just go on with the hate...jets are a competitive team now, wake up!

Smokey
08-06-2008, 11:32 PM
boy oh boy just go on with the hate...jets are a competitive team now, wake up!

Yeah what's with the hate? I wish him the best. I'm hoping he plays like a madman for the Jets. Hats off to Brett Favre.

johbur
08-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Interesting move for Favre. The Jets QBs have looked terrible in TC, so he walks in as a starter. They've been building slowly and have some good pieces, but I wasn't impressed by them ditching Vilma. They had a fine draft this year, IMO, and Franks will have Brett tossing him the ball again. AND he's reunited with Ahmad Carroll. Maybe this was all staged so he could hook-up again with Carroll....

Other than having a schlub at 6th CB, their defense could be scrappy with Gholston. I personally will enjoy Brett playing New England twice a year (at least) possibly for the next couple of years. Maybe NE won't be able to just tick off their 6 wins from their Division... Favre v. Brady will make all those East Coast Media moguls wet theyselves.

I'd love to see Favre have a great year, particularly if he beats the Pats. Happiest man in the NFL today? Payton Manning.

As Brett now will have the 1000's of reporters he craves to follow him, media coverage will go byond the 19 hours of Favre news we've had during this soap opera to 24 hours of NYC coverage of BF. Gahg...

Sportsfan486
08-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Yeah what's with the hate? I wish him the best. I'm hoping he plays like a madman for the Jets. Hats off to Brett Favre.

The hate is because Favre has taken LITERALLY EVERY opportunity possible to make the Packers look bad. Every single chance he has had to sit down with the media he has and just run his mouth.

I was willing to forgive Favre's dumbass antics when he was a Packer but he's not anymore.

I'm glad he's gone and I'm being realistic. He's got a BAD offense around him. Remember when we had a bad offense? Let me clue you in.. 70 and 72 passer ratings. 29 interceptions in one season.

Our offense THEN was better than the Jet's offense NOW, imo, or at least at the same level. What makes you guys think Favre is going to do better for them? Yes, he did well last year. He did well last year with the best, or at worst second best, receiving core in the NFL. He did well last year with one of the best pass protecting lines. He didn't manage to screw us out of the tougher late season/playoff games thanks to Ryan Grant (well, except the Giants game. He DID manage to screw us outta that one. And maybe the Cowboys game. And our D bailed him on the Redskins game.. but.. I digress.)

I'm tired of this whole saga. It should have been done behind closed doors instead of Favre running his mouth. Yes, I'm sure he felt wronged by the Packers. Whatever. HE retired. NO ONE forced him to. Sorry if IRL you can't always go back on important decisions that affect a LOT of other people.

Quote me. Favre is going to have around 25 interceptions and a sub 80 passer rating if he starts all year. I'm going on his trends and past seasons, not because I dislike him. He's old and has proven recently that without a strong team around him he fails.

Goatboy1717
08-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Love what we got back in return. Right now it is a 4th round pick

Plays 50% of snaps- 3rd round pick
Plays 70% of snaps- 2nd round pick
Plays 80% of snaps- 1st round pick

We are more than likely going to get a 1st round pick. Love it.

GB12
08-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Love what we got back in return. Right now it is a 4th round pick

Plays 70% of snaps- 2nd round pick
Plays 80% of snaps- 1st round pick

We are more than likely going to get a 1st round pick. Love it.
You're missing key parts of it. For the first the Jets have to get to the Super Bowl. For the second they have to make the playoffs.

It's pretty much a guarenteed 3rd, with a nice chance of a second.

umphrey
08-07-2008, 12:26 AM
I believe it's

Plays 70% of snaps and make the playoffs- 2nd round pick
Plays 80% of snaps and make the superbowl- 1st round pick

jackalope
08-07-2008, 12:37 AM
I believe it's

Plays 70% of snaps and make the playoffs- 2nd round pick
Plays 80% of snaps and make the superbowl- 1st round pick

Well, I guess the Jets are my second favorite team this season.

GB12
08-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Well, I guess the Jets are my second favorite team this season.
I'm rooting for a first round playoff exit.