PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84

princefielder28
10-28-2008, 10:07 AM
I think Tennessee is going to exploit our lack of depth along the DL as the game goes on. I expect to see more of Lendale White more early than what he was used last night and Chris Johnson worked in there more gradually as the game goes and utilize his home run potential. The big thing for the Packers will be to establish the run early because Tennessee's secondary is tough and we want Aaron to stay on his feet. Donald Driver and Donald Lee are going to have to step up big in this one because Finnegan will shutdown Jennings, as great as Greg is.

Favre4ever
10-28-2008, 10:27 AM
This game should be very interesting. The game plan should be to pass to set up the run like the Colts did and if James Jones can return, we could spread them out with 4 or 5 WR sets and have success against them. Rodgers' escaping habilities will be tested in this one.

bigboiajhawk
10-28-2008, 01:36 PM
I look for Greg Jennings to have a big day, watching the Titans Cb's last night it looked like they were really jumping on the short routes, so I wouldnt be surprised to see some sluggos and out and ups. I hope our OL is ready, because Haynesworth looked like a beast, he seemed to always hit Manning right as he was throwing.

umphrey
10-28-2008, 02:52 PM
The date of the hearing makes it appear likely that if Jolly has to go to trial it will occur after the season and he will not be restricted from playing with the Packers. In addition, the National Football League would probably not consider whether he violated the personal conduct policy until the trial occurs.
DT depth should be fine this year as long as nothing else happens

TitleTown088
10-28-2008, 03:01 PM
I think the bottem line is going to be Rodgers play and the Oline. He's going to have to have his best game of the year for us to have a chance. Stopping their rush offense will not be an easy task for the Packers D.

chad72
10-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Tony Gonzalez of the Chiefs got several open looks against the Titans the previous game. Dallas Clark caught 2 TD passes against the Titans for my team Colts. So, use your TEs in the passing game, the results will be good.

Also, stay patient with the run and ball security.

Once you stop the Titans' from running you out of their building, your DBs play better press coverage than our 'will-give-you-a-cushion' style of D. Then, you can force Collins to beat you and it will play to your strengths. If the Colts D can force the Titans to less than 100 yards, the Packers can as well.

TitleTown088
10-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Tony Gonzalez of the Chiefs got several open looks against the Titans the previous game. Dallas Clark caught 2 TD passes against the Titans for my team Colts. So, use your TEs in the passing game, the results will be good.

Also, stay patient with the run and ball security.

Once you stop the Titans' from running you out of their building, your DBs play better press coverage than our 'will-give-you-a-cushion' style of D. Then, you can force Collins to beat you and it will play to your strengths. If the Colts D can force the Titans to less than 100 yards, the Packers can as well.

I'll fax this right Coach right away. ;)

PackerLegend
10-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Finnegan will shutdown Jennings, as great as Greg is.

Thats impossible, not even god could stop Jennings. But then again why would god want to stop himself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuRjuhCORig

TitleTown088
10-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Thats impossible, not even god could stop Jennings. But then again why would god want to stop himself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuRjuhCORig

Yeah, I really can't agree with Finnegan solely' Shutting down" Jennings. He can beat anyone one on one. They sure could gear their defense to stop him however.

Yatta!
10-28-2008, 05:03 PM
I was so expecting a Jordyzzzzz video then.

PackerLegend
10-28-2008, 05:08 PM
I was so expecting a Jordyzzzzz video then.

Jordyzzz is Baby Jesus behind Jennings!

GB12
10-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Donald Driver and Donald Lee are going to have to step up big in this one because Finnegan will shutdown Jennings, as great as Greg is.
I'm a big Cortland Finnegan fan, but that statement is not correct.

tjsunstein
10-29-2008, 04:43 PM
No one shuts down Jennings.

johbur
10-29-2008, 10:31 PM
No one shuts down Jennings.

The only games I've seen Jennings shut down from were the injury games. If they try to go man coverage on the outside, Jennings will use Finnegan more than he used Champ.

johbur
10-30-2008, 12:52 AM
This game should be very interesting. The game plan should be to pass to set up the run like the Colts did and if James Jones can return, we could spread them out with 4 or 5 WR sets and have success against them. Rodgers' escaping habilities will be tested in this one.

I agree, depending on if the interior of the line can handle Head-Stopper without needing a clocking FB or RB helping out. Spread them out with 4-5 wide and then see if our protection can hold up. Because they have big and beefy run-stoppers inside, with speed in the linebacking corp, getting those LBs out of the game and turning their run-stoppers into pass rushers seems to benefit the Packers. I don't see their safeties as able to hold up against JJ, Jordy and Ruvell. If they want to maintain the center of the field with their safeties, have Greg run the deep post and I think that would also be successful. Move it back to 4 WRs and Grant or Jackson in the backfield and then hit them in the middle after 5 straight pass completions. If Rodgers wasn't hurt, he'd also be able to slip between C/RG and hit out for five yards if they drop off like they did against the Colts.

This will be a very tough game unless our pass rush is getting to the QB. Fisher Ball is to grind out the run game, high percentage passing for first downs, no turnovers and heavy defense. Unless the Packers hit on some big plays, either with Jennings in the pass attack, Blackmon in the return game or the secondary with a pick six, a road game like this will be very diffidult to pull out.

Sportsfan486
10-30-2008, 01:24 AM
P.S. - I've starting Grant in my fantasy league for the first time since he lost my game week 4. I'm pretty terrified but I have no choice.

P.S.P.S. - 1,000 posts. Oh snap!

Also for some constructive stuff, it'll be a tough game, that's for sure. Can we stop the running game? And not give up huge passing gains if we do?

You look at our 3 losses and they were all to teams with great running attacks. None of our wins have been against such teams (except the Minnesota game.. but I don't count that as Jackson couldn't beat a HS team without AP running for 200+ yards.)

I definitely wouldn't say Chris Johnson/LenDale White > AD but they're somewhat better at QB (although not incredibly.)

The Dynasty
11-01-2008, 12:33 PM
PACKERS CUT KABEER GBAJA-BIAMILA
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 1, 2008, 1:00 p.m. EDT

The Green Bay Packers have released defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, the team announced today.

“We want to thank Kabeer for his contributions to the Green Bay Packers,” G.M. Ted Thompson said. “During his time here, he has been a big part of our organization and our community. We wish Kabeer and his family well.”

In a classy statement issued as he was cut, Gbaja-Biamila thanked the Packers and their fans.

“My nine years as a Green Bay Packer have been a blessing that is beyond words,” Gbaja-Biamila said. “I thank God for bringing me to this first-class organization and first-class community. During my time here, I’ve built relationships with a number of people in the Packer family. The front office executives, G.M.s, coaches, past and present players, the enormous support and administrative staff plus the greatest fans in football, all have helped make my time here truly special and I am thankful for that. It has been a very positive experience.”

Gbaja-Biamila was struggling through a difficult season in which he had started just one game and had 0.5 sacks. He is the franchise’s all-time sacks leader with 74.5.

The Packers also announced that they have activated defensive tackle Justin Harrell from the physically unable to perform list.

Didnt know if you guys knew about this. I was quite shocked.

ChezPower4
11-01-2008, 12:52 PM

I was just thinking last night who we were going to cut so that Harrell could be put on the 53 man. Did not think for one second that it would be KGB. Although I'm not surpised though, I was sure that we would have cut him this off season

Yatta!
11-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Seems fair enough as he would have been cut in the offseason and his play was declining all the time. Still we kept Kenny Pettaway?

Goatboy1717
11-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Seems fair enough as he would have been cut in the offseason and his play was declining all the time. Still we kept Kenny Pettaway?

Exactly. I'm pretty shocked they cut KGB.

PACKmanN
11-01-2008, 01:43 PM
you have to remember we are going to be resigning a lot of players we drafted and some of them will not come cheap. Plus KGB is done.

Yatta!
11-01-2008, 02:34 PM
you have to remember we are going to be resigning a lot of players we drafted and some of them will not come cheap. Plus KGB is done.

I'm fine with the move but I just expected it to be done over the offseason, not right now.

PackerLegend
11-01-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm fine with the move but I just expected it to be done over the offseason, not right now.

He was our highest paid player on the team making around 7 mil.... He was ineffective basically and his impact was so minimal it wouldnt have mattered if he hung around. Im not sure but maybe some of the cap hit we are going to take will count for this years cap by cutting him now.

In leaving the organization, Gbaja-Biamila issued the following statement:

"My nine years as a Green Bay Packer have been a blessing that is beyond words. I thank God for bringing me to this first-class organization and first-class community. During my time here, I've built relationships with a number of people in the Packer family. The front office executives, G.M.s, coaches, past and present players, the enormous support and administrative staff plus the greatest fans in football, all have helped make my time here truly special and I am thankful for that. It has been a very positive experience. I was able to build a family here and grow with a community that I call home. Again, I've been truly blessed. I don't know what my football future holds, but one thing I've realized is that football is more than a game - it's about building relationships and changing lives. One of the commitments I've had throughout my career has been to share the gospel of Jesus Christ and that is something that I intend on doing whether on the field or not. God bless the Green Bay Packers!"

bigboiajhawk
11-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Its too bad KGB had to end his career in Green Bay this way, but it was time. I'm excited for the young DE's especially Hunter, I think the KGB release will let him come in on more third down passing packages. Well I hope Harrell turns it on in this last half of the season.

Favre4ever
11-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Its too bad KGB had to end his career in Green Bay this way, but it was time. I'm excited for the young DE's especially Hunter, I think the KGB release will let him come in on more third down passing packages. Well I hope Harrell turns it on in this last half of the season.

I think you're right on this one and theres something about Jason Hunter that intrigues me. Ive watched him closely during trainning camp and he really stood out for me with his speed for a guy his size. Too bad Jenkins is down...

GB12
11-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Not exactly shocking. We knew he wouldn't be with us next year, we just thought it'd be after the year. In the offseason I was a pretty big supporter of keeping him when people suggested to let him go, but he didn't look a thing like he did last year. He's horrible against the run and hasn't been getting the pass rush this year, which made him completely useless. Also by cutting him now I think we can take some of if not all of the cap hit on the 2008 payroll.

johbur
11-01-2008, 09:51 PM

Definately agree with Hunter getting more PT. That guy just seemed to have a way of getting around the corner, and I think MM played KGB almost out of deference to his career in GB versus the results KGB was getting. I loved KGB during his time here, and I can see him coaching one day, but the body of an under-sized DE in the NFL that was wore out with 90% snaps under the Sherman era just showed KGB hitting a wall, particularly after his last injury of last year. Front half of the year he had solid pressure, then he got hurt, then he wasn't heard from again.

Hunter and Montgomery will now get some time to show they either deserve to be on the team, or TT will replace them in the draft. Also a chance for Jeremy Thompson to step up.

Yatta!
11-03-2008, 06:12 AM
We're getting to the business end of the schedule now. So far I think we can take more positives than negatives from the season but we need to beat the Vikes and Bears if we are going to acheive anything worthwhile this year. Still I'm relatively confident.

ChezPower4
11-04-2008, 02:17 PM
We're getting to the business end of the schedule now. So far I think we can take more positives than negatives from the season but we need to beat the Vikes and Bears if we are going to acheive anything worthwhile this year. Still I'm relatively confident.

I think that if we want to make the playoffs we have to win all of our remaining division games. If we don't win 10 games i don't think we have a shot at all.

princefielder28
11-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Good news for this week

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2114

ChezPower4
11-05-2008, 12:52 PM
No Allen is music to my ears

Sportsfan486
11-05-2008, 02:30 PM
No Allen is music to my ears

Kinda makes me sad, actually. I would've liked to see him get absolutely shut down again.

TitleTown088
11-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Kinda makes me sad, actually. I would've liked to see him get absolutely shut down again.

Yeah, I want to beat the vikings at full strength( or near it) for the 6th time in a row.

Also, don't forget that Tennessee's backups sacked Rodgers twice. The line hasn't been playing spectacular.

GB12
11-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I want to beat the vikings at full strength( or near it) for the 6th time in a row.

Also, don't forget that Tennessee's backups sacked Rodgers twice. The line hasn't been playing spectacular.
When did Tennessee have their backups in?

princefielder28
11-05-2008, 04:22 PM
When did Tennessee have their backups in?

Jacob Ford and David Ball each contributed

GB12
11-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Jacob Ford and David Ball each contributed
Yeah, but that'd just be like if Jason Hunter or Mike Montgomery got a sack for us.

Sportsfan486
11-05-2008, 04:38 PM

I'm not sure how much is the line's fault and how much is just that Tennessee D. They're so physical and beat you up all game that it really wears down the offensive line.

I mean, our offense (aside from Rodger's two turnovers) was pretty outstanding all game except when we got into the red zone.. which has been a huge problem for us all year.

Speaking of which.. what do you guys think we need to do to correct that? It looks like Grant might actually be coming around, now, so I hope we can utilize some more play-actions in the redzone to get some TDs. Our defense isn't playing well enough right now to win games on field goals.

TitleTown088
11-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah, but that'd just be like if Jason Hunter or Mike Montgomery got a sack for us.

And by Jason Hunter or Mike Montgomery, You mean, our " backups"? :)

Actually isn't montgomery the starter meow?

ChezPower4
11-05-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure how much is the line's fault and how much is just that Tennessee D. They're so physical and beat you up all game that it really wears down the offensive line.

I mean, our offense (aside from Rodger's two turnovers) was pretty outstanding all game except when we got into the red zone.. which has been a huge problem for us all year.

Speaking of which.. what do you guys think we need to do to correct that? It looks like Grant might actually be coming around, now, so I hope we can utilize some more play-actions in the redzone to get some TDs. Our defense isn't playing well enough right now to win games on field goals.

I don't see how our offense could play outstanding if we were god awful in the red zone. Just like our defense played amazing untill the last two drives of the game.... not so outstanding

Yatta!
11-05-2008, 07:43 PM
And by Jason Hunter or Mike Montgomery, You mean, our " backups"? :)

Actually isn't montgomery the starter meow?

Surely they're more the rotation than backups. It's just the most effective way to manage a Dline.

Whistler6
11-06-2008, 01:01 PM
The thing is, I am actually ''ok'' with where Green Bay is right now. They are the youngest team in the league, and will probably have their best chance at getting to the superbowl next year or the year after. The only difference between this year nad last, is that this year they are not pulling out the close games. Last season, they won what 4-5 games in the last 5-6 minutes? With experience, and hopefully better D and O line play, they will just get better. Making the playoffs will be rough this year because the easier (if there is any) part of their schedule was the beginning of the season.. And they didn't pull out the Tampa or Atlanta games. The Pack are poised for a run if we can beat the NFC North teams though. Should be fun to watch.

*Green Bay need some O-line power.. We simply do not blow anyone off the ball

tjsunstein
11-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Remaining Schedule Prediction:

At Minnesota - Win
Hopefully we shut down Peterson half as good as last time and force them to throw the ball, and unlike the Dallas game we better have guys over top because of Berrian. Other than him, well they have no recieving options. I still dont get the hype over this team, they suck.

Vs. Chicago - Win
First time Aaron Rodgers sees these guys, I shouldnt like our odds.. but I do. Tennessee has a much better defense than Chicago and as long as we run, we should be fine. Afterall, the Vikings put up how many points on them? Right.

At New Orleans - Unsure
This New Orleans team is dangerous but never healthy. They should have Bush back in time for this game and Colston should be finding a groove by then. I'm not sure about this one.

To predict an outcome more than 3 weeks in advance is useless.. but here are the rest of the games.

Vs. Carolina
Vs. Houston
At Jacksonville
At Chicago
Vs. Detroit

ChezPower4
11-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Remaining Schedule Prediction:

At Minnesota - Win
Hopefully we shut down Peterson half as good as last time and force them to throw the ball, and unlike the Dallas game we better have guys over top because of Berrian. Other than him, well they have no recieving options. I still dont get the hype over this team, they suck.

Vs. Chicago - Win
First time Aaron Rodgers sees these guys, I shouldnt like our odds.. but I do. Tennessee has a much better defense than Chicago and as long as we run, we should be fine. Afterall, the Vikings put up how many points on them? Right.

At New Orleans - Unsure
This New Orleans team is dangerous but never healthy. They should have Bush back in time for this game and Colston should be finding a groove by then. I'm not sure about this one.

To predict an outcome more than 3 weeks in advance is useless.. but here are the rest of the games.

Vs. Carolina
Vs. Houston
At Jacksonville
At Chicago
Vs. Detroit

I like our chanes in the New Orleans game. If we can run the ball 25-30 times and contoll the clock. I think that we'll have a great chance to win the game. Also if our D can play the way they did in the Colts and Titans game (except the last two drives of the Titans game) This should be a game that we win.

GB12
11-06-2008, 03:11 PM
The thing is, I am actually ''ok'' with where Green Bay is right now. They are the youngest team in the league, and will probably have their best chance at getting to the superbowl next year or the year after. The only difference between this year nad last, is that this year they are not pulling out the close games. Last season, they won what 4-5 games in the last 5-6 minutes? With experience, and hopefully better D and O line play, they will just get better. Making the playoffs will be rough this year because the easier (if there is any) part of their schedule was the beginning of the season.. And they didn't pull out the Tampa or Atlanta games. The Pack are poised for a run if we can beat the NFC North teams though. Should be fun to watch.

*Green Bay need some O-line power.. We simply do not blow anyone off the ball
Looking at the schedule pre-season it looked like this would be the hard part of our schedule, but really the remaining teams aren't that good.

We have Minnesota, who we already beat, on Sunday

We have the Bears twice and while they're currently ahead of us in the division you couldn't convince me they're a better team

Then there's New Orleans who hasn't been as good as expected

Carolina is the only real tough game remaining.

Houston and Tennessee are both 3-5 and neither looked good getting there.

And we finish the season with Detroit

I think there's a very good possibility to get 5 or 6 wins out of that.

TitleTown088
11-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Tennessee is 3-5? News to me.

GB12
11-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Jacksonville. AFC South teams.

ChezPower4
11-06-2008, 04:28 PM
I think our remaining games with the Bears may ultimately decide who wins the division. I also feel that given the stregth of the NFC east and NFC south I think that who ever gets second place in the division will not make the playoffs. Which kinda worries me givin the way we played against the Bears last year.

princefielder28
11-06-2008, 05:07 PM
I see a 9-7 finish

tjsunstein
11-06-2008, 05:16 PM
I like us to be 10-6, I said in the beginning of the year. Colishaw just predicted the Bears to win the division at 9-7..

ChezPower4
11-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I like us to be 10-6, I said in the beginning of the year. Colishaw just predicted the Bears to win the division at 9-7..

Tim Colishaw= Merrill Hodge

They don't know anything about football IMO

umphrey
11-06-2008, 08:38 PM
The Bears games are going to be by far the most important. If we split with them, the division is going to be really close.

If a split happens, we probably beat the Vikings and they probably lose to Tennessee next week, that would break it down to a 5 game season.

Favre4ever
11-09-2008, 09:51 PM
The play of Barnett and Hawk is starting to worry me. Are they struggling because they depend that much on the play of the front 4 or are they just not shedding enough blocks?

mqtirishfan
11-09-2008, 10:19 PM
The play of Barnett and Hawk is starting to worry me. Are they struggling because they depend that much on the play of the front 4 or are they just not shedding enough blocks?

Is Hawk even healthy right now?

RockJock07
11-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Not once did I ever say the Vikings are not horrible. I am just pointing out the fudgepackers are worse :)

oh boy, what a d-bag you are....

GB12
11-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Charles Woodson and Nick Collins are tied for the league lead in interceptions with 5. Tramon Williams is tied for 3rd in the league with 4.

Nick Collins leads the league in INTs for TDs with 3. Charles Woodson is tied for 2nd with 2. Aaron Rouse is tied for 6th with 1.

As a team we are third in the league in pass yards given up per game at 179, first in INTs with 16, 2nd in average at 5.7, first in completion percentage 51.5, and first in QB rating 59.9(!).

So while our run defense sucks our pass defense has been amazing and our secondary owns.

PackerLegend
11-09-2008, 10:34 PM

They havent been great but id be more worried if Barnett misses a few games. I knew it right when he went down they were going after Bishop. Very first play he flys by the ball carrier complete misses the tackle and lets them score. Then he also had a outta bounds hit like a tard and cost us 15.

GB12
11-09-2008, 10:38 PM
They havent been great but id be more worried if Barnett misses a few games. I knew it right when he went down they were going after Bishop. Very first play he flys by the ball carrier complete misses the tackle and lets them score. Then he also had a outta bounds hit like a tard and cost us 15.
This is my post from the game thread before the game started:
Chillar is inactive. Probably thinking that we won't have to use him because of Minnesota's ****** TEs, but it won't be pretty if any of our LBs get hurt.

Sure enough it happens. At least if he misses next week or future games we'll have Chillar instead of Bishop, but eventhough he hasn't been himself this year we can't afford to lose Barnett.

umphrey
11-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Nick Collins is my hero I really hope he makes the pro bowl because he should, as long as his play keeps up

Besides the secondary, I don't know where to start ripping them apart. I'm probably gonna post a rant later.

rumfinator
11-10-2008, 01:25 PM
According to rotworld.com,

Packers coach Mike McCarthy revealed Monday that MLB Nick Barnett needs surgery to repair a torn ligament in his knee. He will be placed on injured reserve, ending his season.
Desmond Bishop is directly behind Barnett on the depth chart, but Green Bay may also explore moving A.J. Hawk or Brandon Chillar to the middle with Brady Poppinga staying outside. The Packers have lost three key defenders for the year in Barnett, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, and Cullen Jenkins and their fantasy defense's prospects are very dim going forward. They are currently 28th against the run and will likely continue to struggle there.

This pretty much sucks because we need all the players we can get, but Nick has not been playing that well. That may be contributed to poor DL play all season. Saying that, who do you guys want to play middle linebacker? Hawk, Chillar, Bishop...I kind of wish would held unto Hodge, but hindsight is 20/20.

Twiddler
11-10-2008, 01:29 PM

Oh ****. That's not the best news I've ever heard. Well, we'll get to see what we have in Bishop/Chillar at least.

In general, I'm starting to get the feeling that this season isn't meant to happen, even though we still could contend for the last playoff spot.

princefielder28
11-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Barnett is a big loss for this team, and Bishop/Chillar have to step up and show they deserve to be on this team.

rumfinator
11-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Oh ****. That's not the best news I've ever heard. Well, we'll get to see what we have in Bishop/Chillar at least.

In general, I'm starting to get the feeling that this season isn't meant to happen, even though we still could contend for the last playoff spot.

I agree. One of the reasons we were so good last year is because we were healthy. This year....injury after injury has decimated this team. BUT, if we can get our OL working again...we can score a lot of points and stay in most games. That may be just enough to get us to the playoffs even with a porous defensive line.

Twiddler
11-10-2008, 01:35 PM
I agree. One of the reasons we were so good last year is because we were healthy. This year....injury after injury has decimated this team. BUT, if we can get our OL working again...we can score a lot of points and stay in most games. That may be just enough to get us to the playoffs even with a porous defensive line.

That's the big problem though, the offensive line for us seems harder and harder to predict. Like yesterday they performed pretty well in the running game but when it came to the passing game defenders were constantly in the backfield harrassing Rodgers. It was the opposite that I thought would happen.

PACKmanN
11-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Charles Woodson and Nick Collins are tied for the league lead in interceptions with 5. Tramon Williams is tied for 3rd in the league with 4.

Nick Collins leads the league in INTs for TDs with 3. Charles Woodson is tied for 2nd with 2. Aaron Rouse is tied for 6th with 1.

As a team we are third in the league in pass yards given up per game at 179, first in INTs with 16, 2nd in average at 5.7, first in completion percentage 51.5, and first in QB rating 59.9(!).

So while our run defense sucks our pass defense has been amazing and our secondary owns.

Do we now thank this man? http://images.packers.com/images/headshots/schottenheimer_kurt.jpg

tjsunstein
11-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Out for the year (Torn Knee Ligaments)

Per ESPNNEWS

TitleTown088
11-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Sucks but he was playing like a chump all season.

TitleTown088
11-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Also, I"m really getting the feeling Clifton is done. I could see him and tauscher being gone this off season.

College, Spitz, Wells( if not spitz), Sitton, Rookie/FA. Book it.

Colledge has been the best Oline man this season by my measure.

Twiddler
11-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Also, I"m really getting the feeling Clifton is done. I could see him and tauscher being gone this off season.

College, Spitz, Wells( if not spitz), Sitton, Rookie/FA. Book it.

Colledge has been the best Oline man this season by my measure.

Yeah, I agree with you on Clifton. From my perspective, he just hasn't played that well this year, most likely due to his age and Tauscher probably won't be signed back because of his age too.

tjsunstein
11-10-2008, 02:57 PM
True but we dont have the depth to lose him. Our run D is gonna suck even more now. What sucks is that we face Forte twice, possibly a healthy Reggie, the Carolina duo, Slaton, and the Jax duo. This is why our offense cant be conservative because we wont have the ball all game if we are.

drowe
11-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I agree with you on Clifton. From my perspective, he just hasn't played that well this year, most likely due to his age and Tauscher probably won't be signed back because of his age too.

yeah, it's a bummer but Cliffy is struggling this year. it might be time to move on.

Twiddler
11-10-2008, 03:10 PM
yeah, it's a bummer but Cliffy is struggling this year. it might be time to move on.

Yeah, Packer Nation is probably not going to like that either. Much like when Wahle and Rivera were allowed to walk.

GB12
11-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm not against division trash talk and I think it's perfectly fine to go into another team's thread, but Jesus Christ that was ridiculous. 20 posts of pointless crap.

Dr. Gonzo
11-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Yeah, but I'm not saying that the Packer fans that did it should have done it either. I guess it just isn't my style, unless a fan really, really has it coming.

Understandable. I am not using Packer fans doing it as an excuse either. I am just a terribly angry person is all.

GB12
11-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Do we now thank this man? http://images.packers.com/images/headshots/schottenheimer_kurt.jpg
We have to appologize to him first. Packer fans (including myself) have killed Schottenheimer over the past couple years.

GB12
11-10-2008, 03:26 PM

This pretty much sucks because we need all the players we can get, but Nick has not been playing that well. That may be contributed to poor DL play all season. Saying that, who do you guys want to play middle linebacker? Hawk, Chillar, Bishop...I kind of wish would held unto Hodge, but hindsight is 20/20.
Losing Barnett is huge. Jenkins on IR and now Branett on IR; I wouldn't be surprised if we finish dead last in run defense.

As for what to do about it, this is the chance to put Hawk in the middle. The Chillar signing is huge because now we actually have a competent linebacker to fill in unlike the past 8 seasons or so. I'd put Hawk in the middle and then Chillar and Poppinga on the outside. I do not want Desmond Bishop starting.

jackalope
11-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Losing Barnett is huge. Jenkins on IR and now Branett on IR; I wouldn't be surprised if we finish dead last in run defense.

As for what to do about it, this is the chance to put Hawk in the middle. The Chillar signing is huge because now we actually have a competent linebacker to fill in unlike the past 8 seasons or so. I'd put Hawk in the middle and then Chillar and Poppinga on the outside. I do not want Desmond Bishop starting.

I completely agree with that plan. Put the three best linebackers out there. I'll definitely be interested to see what Hawk can do in the middle.

Yatta!
11-10-2008, 04:59 PM
That is ****. The run defense takes another hit, and it was killing us already.

tjsunstein
11-10-2008, 05:55 PM
We really have no shot at the super bowl now.

Favre4ever
11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I cant wait to see what Hawk has to offer as a MLB. Many people projected him to be at the middle when he got drafted.

TitleTown088
11-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Understandable. I am not using Packer fans doing it as an excuse either. I am just a terribly angry person is all.

Making up for lost time I suppose. One win vs the Packers in three seasons. Impressive.

It's actually pretty amusing here in MN right now. Vikings fans all talk **** for beating the Packers once, like they're going to the super bowl now. Little do they know, they're going nowhere . Funny stuff.

Duke Robinson!!!

PACKmanN
11-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Making up for lost time I suppose. One win vs the Packers in three seasons. Impressive.

It's actually pretty amusing here in MN right now. Vikings fans all talk **** for beating the Packers once, like they're going to the super bowl now. Little do they know, they're going nowhere . Funny stuff.

Duke Robinson!!!
Greg Hardy>Duke.

ChezPower4
11-11-2008, 12:24 AM
That's the big problem though, the offensive line for us seems harder and harder to predict. Like yesterday they performed pretty well in the running game but when it came to the passing game defenders were constantly in the backfield harrassing Rodgers. It was the opposite that I thought would happen.

What i don't get is in our first meeting with the vikings Jared Allen had two healthy arms and didn't do a damn thing it that game. Then on Sunday Allen only has one good arm and the guy was everywhere, we could not block him.

With Barnett out now, and our O-line playing the way it has the last two weeks. I'm really starting to think that we're not going to make the playoff this season. We can't seem to put together 60 minutes of good football this year. Sad because we've got a really talented team.

TitleTown088
11-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Hawk is going to start at Middle sunday according to Jsonline.

jackalope
11-12-2008, 05:48 PM

Great, I wasn't so sure that we would actually do it. Does this mean that Hawk will also have the radio?

TitleTown088
11-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Great, I wasn't so sure that we would actually do it. Does this mean that Hawk will also have the radio?

I would assume so. Who else would?

D-Unit
11-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Cole Colin is an UFA after this season. You guys gonna lock him up or let him go?

princefielder28
11-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Cole Colin is an UFA after this season. You guys gonna lock him up or let him go?

Probably let him go. See we have Justin Harrell so there's no need to keep the talented depth that we have. Pickett, Jolly, Harrell, possibly moving Cullen Jenkins back inside and a brilliant draft choice by TT will leave us set at the position. [/sarcasm]

Truth

GB12
11-12-2008, 08:48 PM
I think we'll keep him.

jackalope
11-12-2008, 09:12 PM
I would assume so. Who else would?

I figured he would since he was already a starter, but had we started Bishop or Chillar in the middle I would have rather had Collins wear the radio. Although I'm not sure that who has the radio makes much of a difference anyway.

I don't see why the team wouldn't at least try to resign Cole. He's always been pretty decent and after getting more opportunities this season he's really proven his worth.

jsa230
11-12-2008, 10:15 PM
I am pretty sure we are to re-sign him, or pick up haynesworth in the offseason ...(in my dreams)

PACKmanN
11-12-2008, 10:21 PM

really depends on the amount. If he wants more then 1-2 million a year then I doubt he stays.

Yatta!
11-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Excited to see Hawk in the middle. Hopefully he can make some big plays.

D-Unit
11-13-2008, 01:15 PM
thanks for the responses guys! +rep for all!

TitleTown088
11-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Cole has played above expectations this season. I'd expect TT to keep him around for sure.

Whistler6
11-13-2008, 03:53 PM
I think we learned from last offseason that "depth" at DL can't be taken advantage of. We gave away Corey Williams, KGB didn't perform, and Jenkins got hurt. Suddenly we are weak on the DL and everyone is running the ball on us. I say definitely resign him unless we make a big push at some free agent. Plus we all know, Green Bay can't necessarily rely on Harrel

tjsunstein
11-13-2008, 04:59 PM

The only linebacker that I feel confident with in the middle so that's somewhat of a relief.

I am pretty sure we are to re-sign him, or pick up haynesworth in the offseason ...(in my dreams)

Haynesworth in the middle of our defense would be godly. We tried to do stunts and stuff so our linebackers can blitz more but we're not getting the holes in the middle and the O-lines are owning the middle our line therefore wasting a lineback on the play.

I think we learned from last offseason that "depth" at DL can't be taken advantage of. We gave away Corey Williams, KGB didn't perform, and Jenkins got hurt. Suddenly we are weak on the DL and everyone is running the ball on us. I say definitely resign him unless we make a big push at some free agent. Plus we all know, Green Bay can't necessarily rely on Harrel

Well said.

PackerLegend
11-13-2008, 11:01 PM
So if the Jets make the playoffs and Favre plays 80% we get a 2nd round pick right? There in pretty good shape now to make em after beating NE.

jsa230
11-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Yeah that was huge. I just got thru watching the game on the internet... at first i just wanted to the jets suck so we coul get a low third but now it looks like wer getting another second rounder, hell yeah.TT will probably trade it for a fifth rounder, a seventh rounder. and next years 12th round picks any ways so who cares

jsa230
11-14-2008, 12:28 AM
Can anybody please tell me what happened to abdul hodge?

Packer_Backer
11-14-2008, 01:12 AM
I believe we cut him.

jsa230
11-14-2008, 01:38 AM
man i really liked him, he stepped in and played good sometime last year, for some reason i think he a int but im not sure. When he was with us it always seemed like he was very injury prone.

Whistler6
11-14-2008, 02:03 AM
I'm pretty sure it was his knees. Something that doesn't exactly just go away. He was a tank in college, but for some reason TT didn't see it while he was on the Packers. But TT also thought Frost would punt better than Jon Ryan, so who knows. I was confused about both those cuts...

Yatta!
11-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Well Hodge got picked up by the Bengals and isn't making much of an impact there despite their crappy linebacker situation.

ChezPower4
11-14-2008, 10:14 AM

Hawk had the radio in the Vikings game when Barnett went down

johbur
11-15-2008, 12:25 PM
I was originally excited by Hodge and thought he'd displace Barnett to OLB. His knees just never got better. Hodge was amazing in college.

With Barnett out, not sure who to fill the roster spot with. Tracy White is an Eagle and Hodge is with the Bengals. KGB?

GB12
11-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Not a chance we take KGB back. My guess would be that we promote Alfred Malone from the practice squad.

tjsunstein
11-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Not a chance we take KGB back. My guess would be that we promote Alfred Malone from the practice squad.

That would have been my guess but what about Spencer Havner? Malone is the most logical one though.

jsa230
11-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Is it just me or is Brandon Jackson shockingly remniscent of Ahman Green?

GB12
11-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Is it just me or is Brandon Jackson shockingly remniscent of Ahman Green?
Not just you. Comparisons were drawn between him and Green when we drafted him. I don't really see it though. I think the fact that they're both Packer running backs that played at Nebraska has more to do with the comparison than their running style.

I do really like what I've seen from him this year. I was so frustrated with him at the beggining of last year that I wrote him off, but he got progressively better as the season went on and has looked very good this year.

johbur
11-16-2008, 02:51 PM
I'd like to see Havner promoted. That'd give the team 9 more games to see him this season and decide whether to keep him...

B-Jack catches the ball reminiscent of Green and runs well on the screen. He doesn't hit the hole anywhere near like Green did, and when Green was five years younger, he was extremely hard to tackle from the side, whereas I've seen Brandon go down to much on initial contact. Looks good in this Bears game, though!

jsa230
11-16-2008, 03:06 PM
With Jackson, its the burst on contact that reminds me of green, he played good today... great win i am proud of the defense, but orton sucks so i cant exaggerate their play too much. Thats the kind of offense i expect to see every week

bearsfan_51
11-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Despite the game today, Orton doesn't suck. He's been one of the few bright spots so far. Our defense is absolutely pathetic, and didn't even attempt to play this week. Obviously Green Bay took full advantage of that, but our defense is the extreme issue here.

jsa230
11-16-2008, 06:18 PM
okay, orton "sucked" today....

Twiddler
11-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Damn, the game I go down to lower campus to study for a few hours we win by a ton, and against the Bears.

princefielder28
11-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Damn, the game I go down to lower campus to study for a few hours we win by a ton, and against the Bears.

do you go to UW-EC?

TitleTown088
11-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Despite the game today, Orton doesn't suck. He's been one of the few bright spots so far. Our defense is absolutely pathetic, and didn't even attempt to play this week. Obviously Green Bay took full advantage of that, but our defense is the extreme issue here.
Your offense is nothing to write home about either apparently.

Daryn Colledge is now the Packers best offensive lineman.The guy played very well again today. The units' play was the real reason the Packers won today (defense didn't hurt either).

Twiddler
11-16-2008, 10:56 PM
do you go to UW-EC?

Yeah, I'm a sophomore here.

Hawk
11-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Your offense is nothing to write home about either apparently.

Daryn Colledge is now the Packers best offensive lineman.The guy played very well again today. The units' play was the real reason the Packers won today (defense didn't hurt either).

Yeah, I think we win or lose based on the performance of our offensive line. That's been the situation for the past few years.

johbur
11-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Our defense is absolutely pathetic, and didn't even attempt to play this week. Obviously Green Bay took full advantage of that, but our defense is the extreme issue here.

That's why they got run on for 200 yards and just happened to be the #4 rushing defense in the league after 9 games?

Packers' O-Line pwned today. As bad as they were against the Vikes last week, they were on their game this week. The O-line whacked the Vikings at home also, so maybe this is the type of young team that plays really well at home but isn't so good on the road. That Ryan Grant 4 yard run into the end-zone typified the O-Line's attitude, with a huge surge blowing Bears off the ball and walling Urlacher.

GB12
11-17-2008, 12:38 AM
So right now Kurt Warner and Adrian Peterson are probably the top 2 MVP candidates. As a Packer fan would you rather have Warner win it and join Favre as the only 3 time MVPs or Peterson win it and have a Viking be MVP?

Pacific
11-17-2008, 12:58 AM
I think I lean towards Warner. Vikings fans don't need any more reason to exult almighty AD. As far as Favre being the only one to win it 3 times......**** Favre.

Goatboy1717
11-17-2008, 02:24 AM
What do you guys think about Hawk at MLB permanently? Obviously its just one game but he looked good. The knock on Barnett has been his size. Hawk is bigger and might even be better. Barnett would move over to WLB. Your take?

Yatta!
11-17-2008, 05:52 AM
I would prefer AD to win it. Just because Kurt Warner 3-time MVP does not sound right. No one is really a clear cut winner like there has been in recent years.

And I would keep Barnett in the middle for now.

ChezPower4
11-17-2008, 09:44 AM
And I would keep Barnett in the middle for now.

I'd like to see what Hawk can do a MLB the rest of this year. He played well yesterday and one would think that the more time he gets at MLB the better he'll get.

Favre4ever
11-17-2008, 10:51 AM
What do you guys think about Hawk at MLB permanently? Obviously its just one game but he looked good. The knock on Barnett has been his size. Hawk is bigger and might even be better. Barnett would move over to WLB. Your take?Hawk is more physical, also a way better tackler and has better instincts to play MLB. Many people on draft day thought that Hawk should have been moved to MLB. Many also believed that Barnett was better suited for OLB...

umphrey
11-17-2008, 11:08 AM
About the upcoming suspensions
I don't know the whole story about what's going to happen, but I was thinking it could boost us into the playoffs.

It looks like we might get to play the Saints without their two starting DEs. Rodgers should be able to pick that defense apart if that happens. Also Deuce is on that list, so they are left with Reggie coming off an injury and Pierre.

The Vikings might lose the Williams sisters. That's the kind of blow that losing streaks are made of, it could take them right out of playoff contention.

I like our chances anyway, but we have to beat the Bears again and avoid any upsets.

ChezPower4
11-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Hawk is more physical, also a way better tackler and has better instincts to play MLB. Many people on draft day thought that Hawk should have been moved to MLB. Many also believed that Barnett was better suited for OLB...

I think that this is something that TT and MM should try and see how it works out.

umphrey
11-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Starting from scratch, I think I would put Hawk at MLB and Barnett at WLB. But with the amount of PT they have as it is no way would I switch them. Barnett would be pretty pissed about the move.

Hawk
11-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Starting from scratch, I think I would put Hawk at MLB and Barnett at WLB. But with the amount of PT they have as it is no way would I switch them. Barnett would be pretty pissed about the move.

Agreed. They've both had success in their current positions, I'd rather not risk pissing players off by switching them, especially in the middle of the season.

umphrey
11-17-2008, 11:39 AM
This is what I posted about the playoff picture

I like our chances. It looks like we are gaining momentum as are the Vikings, while the Bears are getting tired. The Vikings have to overcome the possible suspensions, toughest schedule and worst divisional record. Orton probably is hampered all year and I expect Forte to hit the rookie wall in about 2 weeks given how much punishment he takes. Still we have to beat them week 16, no matter what the circumstances we can't let our guard down against the Bears.

NFC North

Packers
Record: 5-5
Divisional: 3-1

Schedule
@ New Orleans
Carolina
Houston
@ Jacksonville
@ Chicago
Detroit

Vikings
Divisional: 2-2

Schedule
@ Jacksonville
Chicago
@ Detroit
@ Arizona
Atlanta
New York Giants

Bears
Divisonal: 3-1

Schedule
@ St Louis
@ Minnesota
Jacksonville
New Orleans
Green Bay
@ Houston

As you can see, it is all tied up and I didn't even bother writing anything about the Lions.

I'd say the Vikings and Packers are neck and neck, but the Viqueens have the toughest schedule by far and with the possible loss of the Williams sisters they could drop out of contention pretty easily. They are also the only team with 2 divisional losses which may end up costing them a tie breaker.

The Bears/Packers schedules are very similar. Packers get an easy one with Detroit again but the Bears get St Louis. Packers have to play Carolina but the Bears have to play Minnesota. Otherwise almost the same. Even though GB crushed them yesterday they still pose a threat. Anything could happen when GB plays them week 16. There is a good chance that game makes the division.

I'd rank it something like this:
Packers: 40%
Bears: 37%
Vikings: 33%

princefielder28
11-17-2008, 12:33 PM
The division is going to come down to the Bears/Packers game in week 16. I feel both teams will go 3-2 in games outside of this one so making it really important. With pending suspensions and an inconsistent Gus Frerotte I think the Vikings are going to fade away.

ChezPower4
11-17-2008, 12:37 PM
This is what I posted about the playoff picture

I like our chances. It looks like we are gaining momentum as are the Vikings, while the Bears are getting tired. The Vikings have to overcome the possible suspensions, toughest schedule and worst divisional record. Orton probably is hampered all year and I expect Forte to hit the rookie wall in about 2 weeks given how much punishment he takes. Still we have to beat them week 16, no matter what the circumstances we can't let our guard down against the Bears.

NFC North

Packers
Divisional: 3-1

Schedule
@ New Orleans
Carolina
Houston
@ Jacksonville
@ Chicago
Detroit

Vikings
Divisional: 2-2

Schedule
@ Jacksonville
Chicago
@ Detroit
@ Arizona
Atlanta
New York Giants

Bears
Divisonal: 3-1

Schedule
@ St Louis
@ Minnesota
Jacksonville
New Orleans
Green Bay
@ Houston

As you can see, it is all tied up and I didn't even bother writing anything about the Lions.

I'd say the Vikings and Packers are neck and neck, but the Viqueens have the toughest schedule by far and with the possible loss of the Williams sisters they could drop out of contention pretty easily. They are also the only team with 2 divisional losses which may end up costing them a tie breaker.

The Bears/Packers schedules are very similar. Packers get an easy one with Detroit again but the Bears get St Louis. Packers have to play Carolina but the Bears have to play Minnesota. Otherwise almost the same. Even though GB crushed them yesterday they still pose a threat. Anything could happen when GB plays them week 16. There is a good chance that game makes the division.

The Vikings remaining schedule is tough I'd say a 33% chance of them winning the division with that schedule. I see like more of a 15% chance.

tjsunstein
11-17-2008, 12:44 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if Minn ended 1-5 or 2-4 on those last 6.

Twiddler
11-17-2008, 03:34 PM
I used to think Terry Bradshaw was at least a semi-competent commentator. Then I heard his rant that he had on the pregame show, about Favre and the Packers. Even Peter King dismissed it. Now I'm not so sure...

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=bd6afcd8-cbdf-40cf-a292-0337324e90eb

mqtirishfan
11-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Agreed. They've both had success in their current positions, I'd rather not risk pissing players off by switching them, especially in the middle of the season.

I'm not sure what you mean about the middle of the season. If a permanent change is made, it'll be before next year.

jackalope
11-17-2008, 04:25 PM

That's 110%.

I agree with PF28 that the division comes down to week 16, but after the way we handled Chicago yesterday, I really like our chances. I'll be going to week 17 against Detroit so I'm hoping that it's a win-and-we're-in situation and the Lions go 0-16.

I'll go with...
GB: 50%
CHI: 30%
MIN: 20%

Yatta!
11-17-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't get why people think Hawk and Barnett should be switched, surely if the move made sense then the coaches would have made it before or at least experimented.

Also quick note about the Saints game. Even if McCallister and Smith get suspended, it's unlikely to kick until after we play them.

umphrey
11-17-2008, 05:22 PM
That's 110%.

I forgot to mention the Lions -10% chance

GB12
11-17-2008, 06:24 PM
I knew this would be brought up as soon as Hawk was moved. I agree with exactly what umphrey said. Barnett was one of the best MLBs in the league up until this season.

Boston
11-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I definately think Hawk projects better to MLB than Barnett does/did.

TitleTown088
11-18-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm not sure if you can declare that after one game. Barnett was a guy who many complained about getting snubbed out of the probowl the past two seasons. Minus this year, he's been a good MIKE.

ChezPower4
11-18-2008, 06:59 AM
I Barnett was one of the best MLBs in the league up until this season.

If Barnett continues with his play this year I see no reason why not to try him at the weakside. If it doesn't work than move him back to the middle.

Hawk
11-18-2008, 09:19 AM
If Barnett continues with his play this year I see no reason why not to try him at the weakside. If it doesn't work than move him back to the middle.

I doubt that Barnett would enjoy being switched around, after enjoying such success in the middle. It would almost be a slap in the face to him "like hey we think he could do a better job than you, so we're putting you somewhere else," and then if Hawk didn't do as well as Barnett, they would have to take all that back. Maybe its just me, but it just doesn't seem like Barnett would be one to take that too well.

UK_Cheesehead
11-18-2008, 10:25 AM
I'll post the majority of what I posted in the Bears game thread in here re: the playoff picture:

Division is wide open now though and looking at all 3 teams' schedules, I could easily see us winning every game, the only game that worries me is the Panthers game at home and the Bears game on the road, but other than that I think we should be confident of winning every game, the problem is I also see the Bears winning the majority of their games and it could end up a very close battle, I think the Vikings end up at 8-8 maybe 7-9 if the Giants take the last matchup seriously.

Either way I think we end up winning the division.

ChezPower4
11-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I doubt that Barnett would enjoy being switched around, after enjoying such success in the middle. It would almost be a slap in the face to him "like hey we think he could do a better job than you, so we're putting you somewhere else," and then if Hawk didn't do as well as Barnett, they would have to take all that back. Maybe its just me, but it just doesn't seem like Barnett would be one to take that too well.

Ofcourse Barnett may not be happy about being switched to the weakside, not many players in his position would. If the coaches feel that the defense would be better with Hawk in the middle, then I don't see much use in getting upset or complaining. It may make the team better which is what the coaches and players try to do everyday.

Number 10
11-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Hey guys I just got done scouting the Packers offensive line and I wanted to bounce a couple thoughts off you.

Last year Justin Tuck and Michael Strahan both said Mark Tauscher was the best RT they had faced all season. This year he seems to be a bit off his game. I think he can handle any defensive end in the game unless it is a pure speed rusher. He just doesn't react quick enough to reach the edge with proper footwork and he gets himself off balanced when an end uses an inside move on him. I know he may not fit the zone blocking scheme perfectly, but what would think of him as a guard. He has the strength and leverage to be a powerful interior blocker and the speed rushers wouldn't be an issue.

And what are your thoughts on rookie Josh Sitton? I personally believe his upside his greater than both Spitz and Colledge as a guard. Already he seems to understand the leverage and technique concepts which are vital. He isn't the strongest guy yet, but thats not as important in a ZBS.

mqtirishfan
11-18-2008, 10:50 PM
I personally believe his upside his greater than both Spitz and Colledge as a guard.

Wouldn't be difficult.

GB12
11-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Hey guys I just got done scouting the Packers offensive line and I wanted to bounce a couple thoughts off you.

Last year Justin Tuck and Michael Strahan both said Mark Tauscher was the best RT they had faced all season. This year he seems to be a bit off his game. I think he can handle any defensive end in the game unless it is a pure speed rusher. He just doesn't react quick enough to reach the edge with proper footwork and he gets himself off balanced when an end uses an inside move on him. I know he may not fit the zone blocking scheme perfectly, but what would think of him as a guard. He has the strength and leverage to be a powerful interior blocker and the speed rushers wouldn't be an issue.

And what are your thoughts on rookie Josh Sitton? I personally believe his upside his greater than both Spitz and Colledge as a guard. Already he seems to understand the leverage and technique concepts which are vital. He isn't the strongest guy yet, but thats not as important in a ZBS.
Tauscher was great the last couple years and especially last year. Talking right tackles only he was top 3. This year he has really seemed to have lost a step. I guess he could be a good guard, but I don't know how that solves anything. We'd be making it worse by doing that. He is still by far the best RT option on our team. And a right side consisting of Spitz-Tauscher is much better than Tauscher-Moll.

Sitton actually won the right guard spot before the season started, but then got injured. Because of the injury I honestly haven't seen much of him, but everything about him from the coaches has been positive. I think there's a very good chance he takes the job and keeps it next year.

While we're talking about OL, I want to say that I think Colledge will be our left tackle once Clifton is done. Colledge hasn't been great as a guard, but his skill set is what you want in a left tackle and he has looked better playing tackle when Clifton has been hurt than he ever has at guard. He's overmatched going up against big DTs, and that especially hurts in our division. When put against defensive ends he'll handle himself better.

I really want Duke Robinson in the draft then to be our left guard. I like him a lot more than any of the tackles in this draft and a dominant force in the middle of the line is something we need. Then maybe move Sitton back to right tackle. I'd feel pretty good about an offensive line of Colledge-Robinson-Wells-Spitz-Sitton for the next 5 years.

EvilMonkey
11-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Tauscher was great the last couple years and especially last year. Talking right tackles only he was top 3. This year he has really seemed to have lost a step. I guess he could be a good guard, but I don't know how that solves anything. We'd be making it worse by doing that. He is still by far the best RT option on our team. And a right side consisting of Spitz-Tauscher is much better than Tauscher-Moll.

Sitton actually won the right guard spot before the season started, but then got injured. Because of the injury I honestly haven't seen much of him, but everything about him from the coaches has been positive. I think there's a very good chance he takes the job and keeps it next year.

While we're talking about OL, I want to say that I think Colledge will be our left tackle once Clifton is done. Colledge hasn't been great as a guard, but his skill set is what you want in a left tackle and he has looked better playing tackle when Clifton has been hurt than he ever has at guard. He's overmatched going up against big DTs, and that especially hurts in our division. When put against defensive ends he'll handle himself better.

I really want Duke Robinson in the draft then to be our left guard. I like him a lot more than any of the tackles in this draft and a dominant force in the middle of the line is something we need. Then maybe move Sitton back to right tackle. I'd feel pretty good about an offensive line of Colledge-Robinson-Wells-Spitz-Sitton for the next 5 years.

agree 100% on colledge being a LT. He's more of a defensive-react type of pass blocker than an inside mauler. I have high hopes for him on the outside in the future.

Hawk
11-18-2008, 11:00 PM
What about Allen Barbre? How has he progressed?

GB12
11-18-2008, 11:01 PM
What about Allen Barbre? How has he progressed?
Not too well so far. He was a project though. He's still in the mix somewhat, but he's near the bottom as of now.

bigboiajhawk
11-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Two things about Barbre: 1)He is a monster in the weight room, rock gullickson said he completely reshaped his body, they had a nice piece on him on packers.com and 2) he is not the smartest guy in the world. I remember reading out of training camp that the reason colledge was outperforming him, was because Barbre couldn't grapple the playbook.

On a side note: Tony Moll continues to amaze me. I have not been a big fan of his since he came here, but he continues to progress. I thought he was a goner at the start of training camp, but no he played decent in the rest of his chances, and made the team. Also, against the Bears, he was playing mop up duty for Tauscher, I believe, and he straight out pancaked Brian Urlacher. Wish I had it on Tivo, to put it on youtube.

ChezPower4
11-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Not too well so far. He was a project though. He's still in the mix somewhat, but he's near the bottom as of now.

Not so sure any that Barbre is going to crack the starting line-up, if ever? I really want to see how good he is if he's given a good amount of game time reps.

TitleTown088
11-19-2008, 10:01 AM
I don't know where this idea that Colledge is playing badly is coming from. Last year he had a slump, but this year is a different story. He has been the best offensive lineman aside from one or two games. He hasn't given up a sack all season long and he's been the best run blocker on the line. If you watch it, he's the one getting into the linebackers and blowing up blocks for Grant's gains. During the first Minnesota game he pancaked Phat Williams for Rodgers rushing TD. He's been playing like a man-child compared to last season.

Twiddler
11-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Noah Herron was just signed by the Bucs to fill the spot left behind by Earnest Graham. Hopefully he can do well down there. Best of luck to him.

ChezPower4
11-19-2008, 01:39 PM
IMO as far as the O-line goes Spitz has been playing the worst.

TitleTown088
11-19-2008, 05:05 PM
IMO as far as the O-line goes Spitz has been playing the worst.

Probably. So far, I'd rank it as follows. Colledge, Wells, Tauscher, Clifton, Spitz.

Packer_Backer
11-19-2008, 05:44 PM
What up with the o-line anyways you think with the amount we drafted a couple would be decent. Is it talent evaluation or coaching?

ChezPower4
11-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Probably. So far, I'd rank it as follows. Colledge, Wells, Tauscher, Clifton, Spitz.

That's how I have it too, would not have thought that a the start of the season.

Boston
11-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Watch the push Spitz and Wells got on Grant's four yard TD run. It's just ridiculous. Spitz may be playing poorly so far this year, but that was a monster block.

TitleTown088
11-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Watch the push Spitz and Wells got on Grant's four yard TD run. It's just ridiculous. Spitz may be playing poorly so far this year, but that was a monster block.

" student body right". That was the entire O-line, Colledge too. That was the play of the game if you ask me, very impressive.

TitleTown088
11-19-2008, 07:16 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/34771569.html
Apparently Drivers dad may have been walloped on by the police.

PACKmanN
11-19-2008, 08:11 PM

Wells>Colledge. Colledge was got pushed back by Tommie Harris a couple of times vs the Bears, lucky it didn't affect the rest of the o-line play.

My rank

1. Wells
2. Colledge
3. Tauscher
4. Clifton
5. Spitz

TitleTown088
11-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Wells>Colledge
Care to elaborate? I haven't seen anything to support that one bit.

Boston
11-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Wells>Colledge. Colledge was got pushed back by Tommie Harris a couple of times vs the Bears, lucky it didn't affect the rest of the o-line play.

My rank

1. Wells
2. Colledge
3. Tauscher
4. Clifton
5. Spitz

Last time I checked, Tommie Harris was a pretty damn good DT.

GB12
11-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Last time I checked, Tommie Harris was a pretty damn good DT.
Not so much this season. I still wouldn't hold that against him though.

ChezPower4
11-19-2008, 09:42 PM

It's one good block. I'd like to see that out of him more, not just once a game.

PackerLegend
11-19-2008, 11:20 PM
i'll go with Wells for the simple fact I think hes still without a penalty. Pretty amazing seeing as we have 56890987557 o-line penalties. But he is the center so u cant really false start

GB12
11-19-2008, 11:53 PM
i'll go with Wells for the simple fact I think hes still without a penalty. Pretty amazing seeing as we have 56890987557 o-line penalties. But he is the center so u cant really false start
Yeah you can. Flanagan was pretty good at doing that.

PACKmanN
11-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Yeah you can. Flanagan was pretty good at doing that.

also, I haven't seen him snap a bad ball so far this season.

Whistler6
11-20-2008, 05:05 PM
As far as the Monday night goes, I think we match up pretty well. Drew Brees is great, but our pass D is the strength of our team. AND with Mike Mckenzie going down, our passing O should have a pretty solid game. The Dome will be a disadvantage with noise, but we might as well use the good (dome) conditions to throw and throw before we get stuck playing in 20 degree weather the rest of the year. Should be a fun game. Stop Brees, win the game.

Although Bush will be back right?

Sportsfan486
11-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Although Bush will be back right?

Possibly, his rehabilitation isn't going as quickly as expected. If it was a normal Sunday game he almost definitely wouldn't play, the extra day of rest may mean he can get some touches.. but it shouldn't be significant.

It'll be interesting to see what the Saints gameplan for this one. Will they try to run the ball or go to their aerial attack? I feel good all around about our DBs against their WRs, especially with Colston still working on his finger issues.

Our offense S-H-O-U-L-D be able to trounce their defense in all aspects, they don't have any good matchups against us that I could see. With Mike out our wideouts should be running free and Grant should be able to bust out some yards against a soft defense.

We lose if we commit a ton of turnovers or our DBs suddenly forget how to play. Otherwise it's a blowout.

johbur
11-20-2008, 10:24 PM
This'd be a nice game to see a Mouse Davis revival and us with the run-and-shoot! Lots of Big 5, lots of 4 wide and Grant in the backfield spreading these guys out.

The blocking against the Chicago d-line was as good as it was bad against the Vikes, though considering that Allen and the Williams sisters are juicing, no wonder we had a hard time the second game!

Grant and Jackson are both showing some good burst and if Rodgers gets some time, I'm sensing 30+ points again. Defensively, Hawk in the middle could be the start of a beautiful thing, especially as Brandon Chillar looked really good. I'd like to see some more LB blitzes at opportune times and Woodson being brought in made me very happy. Where have the safety blitzes been? Bigby is a good blitzer and so is Rouse, so if the have the opportunity, I'd like to see more pressure on Brees given how solid the secondary has been on m2m.

jsa230
11-21-2008, 12:14 PM
It shold be a good game. It will probably come down to penalties and turnovers. Brees will have a hard time getting into a rhythym against our pass d the pack should not have a promblem against their running game. Green Bay 34, New Orleans 20. Mccarthy will let AR throw it around alot so it will be a fun game to watch. I look forward to a lot of offense...

PackerLegend
11-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know why Barnett hasnt been put on IR so we can sign someone else?

TitleTown088
11-21-2008, 12:55 PM

Who is there to be in a hurry to sign?

ChezPower4
11-21-2008, 02:18 PM

was wondering that myself

Boston
11-23-2008, 03:39 PM
I don't even care if Brett has been a dick this year, I still love him. Brett Favre = God.

Whistler6
11-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Props to Favre.. In his postgame interview he talked about YAC. And then brought up how nice it is to have WR's who run after the catch like he had in Green Bay.

Yatta!
11-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Rubbish that the Vikes and Bears both won. Need to win tomorrow to keep pace again.

ChezPower4
11-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Rubbish that the Vikes and Bears both won. Need to win tomorrow to keep pace again.

Well we knew the Bears were gonna beat the Rams. What's surprising is how Jax gave that game away to the Vikings very disappointing.

TitleTown088
11-23-2008, 11:31 PM
I don't even care if Brett has been a dick this year, I still love him. Brett Favre = God.

He's like a puppy in one respect. Impossible to stay mad at.

ChezPower4
11-24-2008, 12:01 PM
He's like a puppy in one respect. Impossible to stay mad at.

http://www.phototakers.com/photo-gallery/give_image.php?id=38

You can never get mad at a puppy, even when he chew up your stuff or poops on your carpet.

TitleTown088
11-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Draft plan next year. Trenches, Plain and simple.

GB12
11-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Well I think it's clear that Tony Moll is not in our future.

Boston
11-24-2008, 10:43 PM

Maybe a new DC as well.

TitleTown088
11-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Well I think it's clear that Tony Moll is not in our future.
And the packers need a freaking pass rush, LG ( if college moves over). Trenches, trenches, and a damn punter.

drowe
11-24-2008, 10:44 PM
no worries.
the vikings are still a team full of losers and cheaters and we already know we're a far superior team than the bears. just one game.

TitleTown088
11-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Maybe a new DC as well.
absolutely, but that dosen't come from the draft.. ;)

no worries.
the vikings are still a team full of losers and cheaters and we already know we're a far superior team than the bears. just one game.

Never have truer words been spoken.

GB12
11-24-2008, 10:54 PM
That hurts, but we aren't in too bad of shape. The Vikings have a brutal finish to their schedule, they'll drop at least two. The Bears still have to play the Saints. If the Saints did that much to us I can only imagine what will happen there. That's the week before we play them again for the game that'll probably decide the division.

TitleTown088
11-24-2008, 10:57 PM
That hurts, but we aren't in too bad of shape. The Vikings have a brutal finish to their schedule, they'll drop at least two. The Bears still have to play the Saints. If the Saints did that much to us I can only imagine what will happen there. That's the week before we play them again for the game that'll probably decide the division.

The vikings do have a tough finish, but they do play the Giants in the last game who may be sitting their starters. However, you got to think they will be losing the Williams sisters soon.

GB12
11-24-2008, 10:59 PM
The vikings do have a tough finish, but they do play the Giants in the last game who may be sitting their starters. However, you got to think they will be losing the Williams sisters soon.It'd be nice if they wait until after next week so they can beat the Bears for us.

umphrey
11-24-2008, 11:11 PM
So, thinking playoffs or draft?

That was a really depressing game. Our franchise quarterback looked like garbage. Our top unit (secondary) couldn't have played worse if they fielded high school players. Our young up and coming players pretty much all looked horrible, Jennings being the only exception that comes to mind.

ChezPower4
11-24-2008, 11:36 PM
no worries.

The division standings don't reflect your views.

In the draft I totally agree with Linemen on both sides of the ball, we're never going to get anywhere with this pitiful pass rushing.

EvilMonkey
11-25-2008, 12:17 AM
So, thinking playoffs or draft?

That was a really depressing game. Our franchise quarterback looked like garbage. Our top unit (secondary) couldn't have played worse if they fielded high school players. Our young up and coming players pretty much all looked horrible, Jennings being the only exception that comes to mind.

still thinking playoffs. Our schedule isnt that brutal or anything. I think we can still make a run potentially and the rest of the division aint that great. Looks bleak after today's performance but too early to give up yet.

And about Jennings; an extension for him in the offseason has to be #1 priority.

UK_Cheesehead
11-25-2008, 07:06 AM
I still believe we can win the division, it makes it a little tougher now and looking at our schedule we are capable of winning every game (although we have to play a bit better than last night). I think we need the Vikes to beat the Bears Sunday, I see them dropping more games than the Bears and our game with them in week 16 looks primed to be a potential division decider.

If we do get to the playoffs though, I can't really see us beating many of the teams in the NFC, if any. Judging by last night facing the Cards would be the worst, I would be content with either Bucs/Panthers/Falcons, but wouldn't be overly confident of getting through it.

drowe
11-25-2008, 08:18 AM
also, i don't look at this game as a poor reflection of the packer's secondary (although, they could've played better)...i think drew brees is just THAT good.

ChezPower4
11-25-2008, 12:57 PM
still thinking playoffs. Our schedule isnt that brutal or anything. I think we can still make a run potentially and the rest of the division aint that great. Looks bleak after today's performance but too early to give up yet.

And about Jennings; an extension for him in the offseason has to be #1 priority.

Next week agaist carolina is a must win game. If we lose and the Vikings and Bears both win. We'd be in very bad shape. So It's looking now like if we want to make the playoffs we have to win all of our remaining games and I don't know if we're playing well enough to do that.

princefielder28
11-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Next week agaist carolina is a must win game. If we lose and the Vikings and Bears both win. We'd be in very bad shape. So It's looking now like if we want to make the playoffs we have to win all of our remaining games and I don't know if we're playing well enough to do that.

Vikings and Bears play each other

ChezPower4
11-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Vikings and Bears play each other

Great point, totally spaced that

GB12
11-25-2008, 03:24 PM
also, i don't look at this game as a poor reflection of the packer's secondary (although, they could've played better)...i think drew brees is just THAT good.
I definitely have to disagree with that. Not taking anything away from Drew Brees. He is very good and made some great throws, but there was a number of blown plays by our defense.

We gave up 70 yards and a TD on what should have been just a 10 yard gain because of a bad attempt at a tackle by Bigby.

Rouse blew his coverage on another 70 yard TD. If he was in the right position he should have at least been tackled for 35 yards.

Hawk was destroyed by Billy Miller for a touchdown in the redzone. He was nowhere near the TE.

3 of the 4 TD passes were directly due to misplays by Hawk, Bigby, and Rouse.

Whistler6
11-26-2008, 09:27 AM
It wasn't that they couldn't cover on Monday night... It was the FACT that 0 pass rush leads to all day to throw. any Qb, Drew Brees or not will find open Wr's. Our lack of pass rush and been hidden the past few games because we've played terrible Qb's

Whistler6
11-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Our offseason should consist of targetting Peppers, Suggs, Haynesworth, Bart Scott, Karlos Dansby, any of these big name defensive players. There is some big boys out there, and Green Bay really needs attack them hard.

GB12
11-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Our offseason should consist of targetting Peppers, Suggs, Haynesworth, Bart Scott, Karlos Dansby, any of these big name defensive players. There is some big boys out there, and Green Bay really needs attack them hard.
Don't get your hopes up.

I wouldn't be completely shocked if we got one of them, but definitely don't expect it.

Yatta!
11-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Haynesworth would be amazing. The only other one of those guys I'd really consider is Peppers but he'll get locked up or franchised.

tjsunstein
11-26-2008, 02:38 PM

Any single one of those players would drastically improve our defense and our team as a whole. I want an outside linebacker more than any other position right now, so Suggs would be my pick then Scott.

What's going on with the Safety postion next to Collins? Rouse has been playing well and Bigby hasn't been the same since the injury.

GB12
11-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Any single one of those players would drastically improve our defense and our team as a whole. I want an outside linebacker more than any other position right now, so Suggs would be my pick then Scott.
Well thank god you have no influence in anything because that would be horrible. First of all we do not need a linebacker. That is not a position that needs to be touched in the offseason. Second Suggs would be a terrible fit. He's a 3-4 OLB, he would not fit at all in our scheme. If he for some reason was a Packer he'd be a defensive end for us. Thirdly, Bart Scott? Yuck.
What's going on with the Safety postion next to Collins? Rouse has been playing well and Bigby hasn't been the same since the injury
Bigby has only been back for 4 weeks, and has only played in 3 games really because he was done for the night after he got hurt in the first drive on Monday. He played well against the Titans and against the Bears. He had a bad game against Minnesota, but so did a lot of our defense. As for Rouse I don't see how you can say he played well. He was horrible on Monday. Yes he had an INT, but his coverage was brutal. He also got eaten up against Detroit and had a poor showing against Tampa.

ChezPower4
11-26-2008, 11:02 PM

If Peppers and Hayneworth hit the free market I think that both teams GMs should be fired. both are elite defensive players and can take over games.

The only one of those that I could see hitting the free market is Scott and why do we need a LB? We need D linemen.

TitleTown088
11-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Accordign to JSonline Al Harris thinks he's done in Green bay after this season. Says they're going to move on without him.

ImBrotherCain
11-28-2008, 09:26 PM
If Peppers and Hayneworth hit the free market I think that both teams GMs should be fired. both are elite defensive players and can take over games.

The only one of those that I could see hitting the free market is Scott and why do we need a LB? We need D linemen.

Dansby is easily the best LB there that i wouldnt mind picking up. But i agree Haynsworth would be a great addition but i dont see TT making a run for any of those guys.

A couple years ago he surprised me with the Woodson deal because we wernt really all that interested till Favre supposedly complained. We do need a big DT that can eat up some space. Look what Kris Jenkins is doing this year... Thats what were missing.

We may have one of the best Pass Defenses in the league but thats just cause other teams can just run on us. Anyone else think we should have kept Cory?

GB12
11-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Dansby is easily the best LB there that i wouldnt mind picking up. But i agree Haynsworth would be a great addition but i dont see TT making a run for any of those guys.

A couple years ago he surprised me with the Woodson deal because we wernt really all that interested till Favre supposedly complained. We do need a big DT that can eat up some space. Look what Kris Jenkins is doing this year... Thats what were missing.

We may have one of the best Pass Defenses in the league but thats just cause other teams can just run on us. Anyone else think we should have kept Cory?
Why on earth would we sign Dansby? What would we do with him? He'd have to play SLB which would be a waste, and then we'd have Chillar and Poppinga sitting on the bench. Not going to happen. We don't need a LB and we are not going to sign a big name free agent or draft one with a high pick. I don't know why some keep suggesting that, it'd be a horrible move.

johbur
11-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Accordign to JSonline Al Harris thinks he's done in Green bay after this season. Says they're going to move on without him.

The Madison paper has an article about Harris and that he wants to play 20 years, even if it means being a nickel or dime CB.

On a corner note, this irritated me with salt in an old wound (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ce02f5&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true).

Chris Gamble went one pick after Ahmad Carroll. Instead of taking the 6 foot tall Gamble out of Ohio State with multiple years starting experience, Shmuck Sherman took Carroll and his "speed", short size and track background.

ChezPower4
11-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Chris Gamble went one pick after Ahmad Carroll. Instead of taking the 6 foot tall Gamble out of Ohio State with multiple years starting experience, Shmuck Sherman took Carroll and his "speed", short size and track background.

We should not speak of this awful event or that walking abomination that calls himself a coach.

tjsunstein
11-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Well thank god you have no influence in anything because that would be horrible. First of all we do not need a linebacker. That is not a position that needs to be touched in the offseason. Second Suggs would be a terrible fit. He's a 3-4 OLB, he would not fit at all in our scheme. If he for some reason was a Packer he'd be a defensive end for us. Thirdly, Bart Scott? Yuck.

Bigby has only been back for 4 weeks, and has only played in 3 games really because he was done for the night after he got hurt in the first drive on Monday. He played well against the Titans and against the Bears. He had a bad game against Minnesota, but so did a lot of our defense. As for Rouse I don't see how you can say he played well. He was horrible on Monday. Yes he had an INT, but his coverage was brutal. He also got eaten up against Detroit and had a poor showing against Tampa.

As much as you love the Chillar-Poppinga combo on the outside but any one of those guys would do a better job than them. Suggs, we can put him down on the line on passing downs and have Chillar drop back in coverage and rest Jenkins on that play. I'm sure that Suggs could adjust to a 4-3, especially when we are said to have more LB blitzing schemes. What's wrong with Bart Scott?

By well, I mean better than Bigby. I'm starting to get tired of Bigby going for the big hits every down instead of playing football. It has cost us more times than not this season.

GB12
11-29-2008, 12:32 PM
The Madison paper has an article about Harris and that he wants to play 20 years, even if it means being a nickel or dime CB.

On a corner note, this irritated me with salt in an old wound (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ce02f5&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true).

That killed me at the time of the draft and a couple years after, but now I'm more than over it. If we had made the right pick and took Gamble then we never would have signed Woodson.

GB12
11-29-2008, 12:46 PM
As much as you love the Chillar-Poppinga combo on the outside but any one of those guys would do a better job than them. Suggs, we can put him down on the line on passing downs and have Chillar drop back in coverage and rest Jenkins on that play. I'm sure that Suggs could adjust to a 4-3, especially when we are said to have more LB blitzing schemes. What's wrong with Bart Scott?

By well, I mean better than Bigby. I'm starting to get tired of Bigby going for the big hits every down instead of playing football. It has cost us more times than not this season.
As an strongside backer I'm not so sure they would even. But that's beside the point anyway. Chillar and Poppinga are the guys for next year, end of story. We will not sign anyone to replace them, we will not draft a LB high in next years draft. I don't know what your fascination with getting a LB is, but it's completely unecessary and is not going to happen. We signed Brandon Chillar last year and extended Brady Poppinga. We aren't then going to give one of the guys you mentioned, who wouldn't be much of an upgrade if any, a massive contract and have both of them sit on the bench. Besides, Chillar has played the best out of all of our linebackers this season. He more than deserves a shot again next year.

Rouse has definitely not been better than Bigby. You're just talking out of your ass on the last two sentences. He hasn't had many chances to put a big hit on this season and when he has he made the tackle. It has not cost us once this year.

ChezPower4
11-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Bigby has not really had a chance to play all that well because he's not been healthy this year. Rouse is healthy and is still not playing better than Bigby.

GB12
11-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Swept by the NFC South. Very few would have predicted that in the offseason.

ChezPower4
11-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Swept by the NFC South. Very few would have predicted that in the offseason.

Sad thing is all four of those games we had a good chance to win and just couldn't make the plays.

GB12
12-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Sad thing is all four of those games we had a good chance to win and just couldn't make the plays.
The three this season that really kill me are this one, the Titans, and the Vikings. All thee of them we blew in the last two minutes. If we didn't forget how to finish for those games we'd be fighting for a bye instead of sitting in third place in the North.

ChezPower4
12-01-2008, 12:07 AM
The three this season that really kill me are this one, the Titans, and the Vikings. All thee of them we blew in the last two minutes. If we didn't forget how to finish for those games we'd be fighting for a bye instead of one loss away from finished.

Makes me sick to my stomach when I think about the way we've played late in games on D. Kinda like last year I was always worried in close games when we had the ball and we couldn't close games out by running. Teams could stop our running attack when they knew it was coming. Therefore we had trouble running down the clock at the end of games. Lucky for us it really didn't come to bite us in the ***. This year though our d is killing us and probably has cost us any post season chances.

GB12
12-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Makes me sick to my stomach when I think about the way we've played late in games on D. Kinda like last year I was always worried in close games when we had the ball and we couldn't close games out by running. Teams could stop our running attack when they knew it was coming. Therefore we had trouble running down the clock at the end of games. Lucky for us it really didn't come to bite us in the ***. This year though our d is killing us and probably has cost us any post season chances.
I ran through all the tiebreaking situations and yeah, we can't win the tiebreaker no matter what happens the rest of the season. We have to be a game ahead of Minnesota to go to the playoffs. That means we have to go undefeated and Minnesota has to lose 3 of 4. ****.

bearsfan_51
12-01-2008, 12:13 AM
I ran through all the tiebreaking situations and yeah, we can't win the tiebreaker no matter what happens the rest of the season. We have to be a game ahead of Minnesota to go to the playoffs. That means we have to go undefeated and Minnesota has to lose 3 of 4. ****.

How can that be? You'll have the better division record assuming both teams beat the Lions and you beat us.

GB12
12-01-2008, 12:19 AM
How can that be? You'll have the better division record assuming both teams beat the Lions and you beat us.
You're right. I don't know why, but I was thinking we would both be 4-2 and we would lose the common game tie breaker. Well that makes things a hell of a lot better. Wow, that's actually not bad odds at all. If we win against the Bears, Lions, and at least one of the other two we should be in. The Vikings play the Giants, Falcons, and Cardinals which will hopefully be at least two losses.

tjsunstein
12-01-2008, 12:35 AM
One more loss and the season is over. Looking into the offseason for a second, what do we do? Do we make any personnel moves? Or do we let our team get a year older and form chemistry? We are the youngest team in the NFL and that has somewhat showed in the late losses.

bearsfan_51
12-01-2008, 12:52 AM
You're right. I don't know why, but I was thinking we would both be 4-2 and we would lose the common game tie breaker. Well that makes things a hell of a lot better. Wow, that's actually not bad odds at all. If we win against the Bears, Lions, and at least one of the other two we should be in. The Vikings play the Giants, Falcons, and Cardinals which will hopefully be at least two losses.

I don't think the Packers can afford to lose a game. The winner of the division will have at least 9 wins.

I'd put the Vikings at about 75% right now, you can split the other 25% between the Bears and Packers.

umphrey
12-01-2008, 01:11 AM
I want to throw this out there, see what other people think.

What do you think about AJ Hawk, ignoring his draft status and contract situation.?

From what I've seen pre and post Barnett he has been very disappointing, maybe even a liability. I'm starting to wonder, if he was just another guy, would be looking to upgrade his position?

He can't shed blocks, he tackles alright but he doesn't make the hits that knock people back, he just wraps up and lets them fight for yards. He is probably our worst linebacker in pass pro besides Poppina. He never gets pass deflections, he just tries to make the tackle. And anything outside of 5 maybe 8 yards he doesn't have a chance.

Those are my thoughts for AJ Hawk of this year. Some excuses can be made, our defense line is definitely not helping him, but I just don't see what he's bringing to the table on Sunday.

umphrey
12-01-2008, 01:19 AM
It was interesting to see Woodson playing safety and BJax getting a lot of carries. I liked seeing both. Woodson given the situation only, I'd rather have him at CB if Bigby or Rouse are healthy.

Brandon Jackson looks a lot better than Grant right now. Grant just runs into people and falls down. He doesn't show the speed he had last year and he is one of the least elusive backs ever. Jackson at least knows how to fight for yards and avoid tacklers head on.

TitleTown088
12-01-2008, 10:23 AM
At leased we don't have to worry if the QB is going to retire or not this off season. Aye?

EvilMonkey
12-01-2008, 10:33 AM
At leased we don't have to worry if the QB is going to retire or not this off season. Aye?

yeah, i guess we have that going for us.

Also, to touch of BJax. Loved how he looked at the end of last year (just the Lions game I guess) and in the preseason, hope to see more of him. Not taking over for Grant or anything but if they're both healthy we should use Jackson more and get away from the 30 carries to Grant games that have happened this year.

Whistler6
12-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Interesting fact... Aaron Kampman leads the team with 9 1/2 sacks. 2nd on the team is???? Cullen Jenkins with 2 1/2. How long has he been out? Wow.

umphrey
12-01-2008, 12:56 PM
yeah, i guess we have that going for us.

Also, to touch of BJax. Loved how he looked at the end of last year (just the Lions game I guess) and in the preseason, hope to see more of him. Not taking over for Grant or anything but if they're both healthy we should use Jackson more and get away from the 30 carries to Grant games that have happened this year.

We need to go to RBBC. Grant would be better with fresh legs and he needs to work on his decision making. Give him some motivation. BJax looks like the better option right now.

I wish we still had Lumpkin. I was really high on him going into the year.

I still want us to draft a Chris Johnson/Leon Washington/J Norwood kind of back that we can run screens and draws to.

ChezPower4
12-01-2008, 02:11 PM
We need to go to RBBC. Grant would be better with fresh legs and he needs to work on his decision making. Give him some motivation. BJax looks like the better option right now.

I wish we still had Lumpkin. I was really high on him going into the year.

I still want us to draft a Chris Johnson/Leon Washington/J Norwood kind of back that we can run screens and draws to.

I'd like to see us draft a shifty speed back as well. That back would also probably be a good kick returner which we need.

GB12
12-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Derrick Frost has been cut!

PackerLegend
12-01-2008, 04:02 PM

About ****ing time!

Also....

Barnett put on IR
Kenny Pettway put on IR

Alfred Malone and Joe Porter signed from practice squad.

UK_Cheesehead
12-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Who's gonna be our punter now then?

Lets hope this guy can actually kick.

princefielder28
12-01-2008, 04:21 PM

Kenny!!!!!!

jackalope
12-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Thank god Frost is gone. I would say that cutting Ryan for Frost was Thompson's worst decision behind drafting Brohm.

ChezPower4
12-01-2008, 06:37 PM

I now have a smile on my face although this should have happened 11 weeks ago. I hope in the draft this year we select a good young punter that we can develop and keep for a long time.

EvilMonkey
12-01-2008, 08:36 PM

http://images.quickblogcast.com/92833-85572/Scott_Player_Mustache___for_blog.png

All Hail Punty McOnebar

TitleTown088
12-01-2008, 09:45 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/35329739.html
The Packers didn't wait long to begin the process of replacing punter Derrick Frost, contacting several free agent punters to invite them to a workout Tuesday.

According to several agent and NFL sources, the Packers are scheduled to work out Paul Ernster, Durant Brooks and Jeremy Kapinos.

If the Packers don't like any of the young guys, they will presumably fall back on veteran Josh Miller or Scott Player.

I was curious about Brooks before the draft but he hasn't performed well thus far.

PACKmanN
12-01-2008, 09:55 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/35329739.html

I was curious about Brooks before the draft but he hasn't performed well thus far.

I would like to give him a second try over the names that are on that list.

TitleTown088
12-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Well watching some of the Texans-Jags game is encouraging. We have both of them, the Bears who we beat by 34 last time, and the Lions. It's very possible for us to finish the year 4-0.

Which is what makes that Carolina loss hurt even more. I was optimistic that had they won that game they would have taken the division.

PackerLegend
12-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Yet another new holder for Crosby....

Just watch we will lose by 1 because of fumbled hold on an XP

TitleTown088
12-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Woodson is going to play safety some more this week, perhaps beyond that too.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20081201/PKR01/81201205/1058&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

ChezPower4
12-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Woodson is going to play safety some more this week, perhaps beyond that too.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20081201/PKR01/81201205/1058&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

I'm ok with this untill we get Bigby back healthy, but well miss Woodson shuting guys down. Cwood has a case for our team MVP this year.

umphrey
12-02-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm ok with this untill we get Bigby back healthy, but well miss Woodson shuting guys down. Cwood has a case for our team MVP this year.

I think thats green and gold goggle speak. He played great, top 5 CB easily, probably top 3, but we are a losing team now that gives up seemingly 30+ points a game and the other team runs all over us. They don't have to challenge Woodson much, just keep it on the ground.

TitleTown088
12-02-2008, 02:47 PM
He said he has a case for TEAM MVP. Which is true.

Rodgers turned 25 today.

johbur
12-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Thank god Frost is gone. I would say that cutting Ryan for Frost was Thompson's worst decision behind drafting Brohm.

Brohm has been equal to Aaron Rodgers at the same point in their careers, meaning they both were 3rd string QBs. Remember all those people that talked about Rodgers being a bust because he hadn't displaced Favre? Give Brohm time to learn the offense and work on the things he needs to work on, just like Rodgers, and I am betting that two years down the road we'll trade him for a good player or a better pick than he was drafted at.

Mike Stock is on the ropes. He convinced TT to cut Ryan for Frost (they were together with the Skins at some point, weren't they?), and our Special Teams look like Special Ed Teams right now.

I'd take any of our ex-punters still playing in the league: Craig Hentrich, BJ Sanders and Ryan.

Howabout the Williams Sisters juicing it up? Too bad those cork suckers didn't get suspended two weeks ago when they should have! That cost the Packers a game and now their next four opponents get freebies jamming the ball up the gut on the Queens.

GB12
12-02-2008, 08:57 PM
I'd take any of our ex-punters still playing in the league: Craig Hentrich, BJ Sanders and Ryan.
Hell no to BJ Sander, and I don't think he is still in the league.