PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83

EvilMonkey
01-26-2009, 04:50 PM
http://www.footballspeakers.com/i/greene_kevin.jpg

http://cache.deadspin.com/sports/upload/2006/07/ajhawkdoofus.jpg

hawk is gonna be an OLB and turn into Kevin Greene Jr., right?

TitleTown088
01-26-2009, 05:09 PM
I think Hawk will play ILB, but nice comparison.

Smokey
01-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Greene looks like a beast in that pic though.

Hines
01-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Very good hire in Kevin Greene. I wished the Steelers would have kept him as a coach when he worked with our OLBs in TC. He elevated Wood and Harrison's play and I would think he would elevate Hawk's and Kapman's play as well.

EvilMonkey
01-26-2009, 06:52 PM
I think Hawk will play ILB, but nice comparison.

yeah, i know there's no way it happens, but i wanna see hawk on the outside with a number #91 on his back (screw Harrell, give him another number)

Yatta!
01-26-2009, 07:10 PM
This staff is sick. Come on Herm...

Boston
01-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Having been turned down for the defensive coordinator's job and now being forced to share the linebacker coaching duties might have rubbed some people the wrong way, but Greene said he did not get a bad vibe from Moss about working together.

"We spent about an hour together and I don' t think there will be any issue," Greene said. "Winston is old school, just like me. My first year was 1985. His was 1987. He's a guy who would hit you. He believes in the same kind of physical mentality that I do. We hit it off."

I hope that translates to the defense.

TitleTown088
01-26-2009, 07:59 PM
I hope that translates to the defense.

I want to find out where the people who post those comments under the articles live. Then, Choke the hell out of them.

tjsunstein
01-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Wow, I like the way this is shaping up. Herm as our DB coach and just wow. If we dont become a top 7 defense in the next 3 years, I will be shocked.

bearsfan_51
01-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Wow, I like the way this is shaping up. Herm as our DB coach and just wow. If we dont become a top 7 defense in the next 3 years, I will be shocked.
Because you have high profile name position coaches? Who gives a ****?

neko4
01-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Well I guess the thinking is that if they are qualified enough to be head coaches (though mediocre) they therefore become overqualified position coaches.

bearsfan_51
01-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Even if they are great positional coaches, without players it doesn't mean ****.

I'm not saying the Packers can't or won't be a top 7 defense, but it sure as hell won't be because Winston Moss is coaching linebackers.

tjsunstein
01-26-2009, 10:55 PM

How did they become high profile? By being successful.

TitleTown088
01-26-2009, 11:54 PM
These cats are reporting its Perry. I've never used the site before to be honest, so take it with a huge grain of salt.

http://urbansportstalk.wordpress.com/

PACKmanN
01-26-2009, 11:59 PM
These cats are reporting its Perry. I've never used the site before to be honest, so take it with a huge grain of salt.

http://urbansportstalk.wordpress.com/

well since they reported the Greene signing then I guess you can trust these guys, where did you find that site?!

surprising is that the three years that Perry was there is when Aso became known for being the best DB in the league.

Smokey
01-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Urban Sports Talk with a giant photo of Left Eye. Hilarious. Good info though.

TitleTown088
01-27-2009, 12:08 AM
well since they reported the Greene signing then I guess you can trust these guys, where did you find that site?!

surprising is that the three years that Perry was there is when Aso became known for being the best DB in the league.

Ha, I have no idea, just came across it somehow. Its prob BS. Did Perry even leave Oakland yet?

PACKmanN
01-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Ha, I have no idea, just came across it somehow. Its prob BS. Did Perry even leave Oakland yet?

I have no idea but he must have if there are interest in him, but if they were the first to report the Greene hiring then I can trust them on this one. Who would have thought we had interest in Greene.

TitleTown088
01-27-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm tickled to death. It's an awesome day for me. The opportunity to be a coach for the Green Bay Packers . . . good googly."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/38436094.html

Smokey
01-27-2009, 09:39 AM
This could be great. I hope that Greene's intensity and enthusiasm are catching. I am worried about him snapping and attacking Capers however.

*Joking of course. But then again Greene was a professional wrestler for a short stint.

Meta4
01-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Hey Bearsfan51,we didn't ask for your input so please quit trolling and stick to your own teams conversations.

TitleTown088
01-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Even if they are great positional coaches, without players it doesn't mean ****.

I'm not saying the Packers can't or won't be a top 7 defense, but it sure as hell won't be because Winston Moss is coaching linebackers. But this is the Packers we're talking about. It's different for them... With these hires we have a foot in the door for the 2010 super bowl. Rebuild for a 3-4? Lolz, that's kind of **** is for the rest of the league, not us.

Hey Bearsfan51,we didn't ask for your input so please quit trolling and stick to your own teams conversations.

BF51 ( as much as it pains me to say it ;) ) is one of more knowledgeable posters on here, I'd be willing to bet he knows more about the Packers than most Packer fans (that's not saying much). He's more familiar with the NFL in general than most too. The fact that he's a fossil in terms of this site dosen't hurt that. I don't like to discourage other teams posters from posting in here, it contributes something other than homer viewpoints.

bigboiajhawk
01-27-2009, 11:33 AM
http://www.raiders.com/Team/CoachBio.aspx?id=614

Here is the bio on our new safeties coach, looks to be a pretty good coach.

TitleTown088
01-27-2009, 11:50 AM
http://www.raiders.com/Team/CoachBio.aspx?id=614

Here is the bio on our new safeties coach, looks to be a pretty good coach.

Yep. It's official.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/38456749.html

Smokey
01-27-2009, 12:18 PM
McCarthy's put together an excellent defensive staff. Let's hope it pays dividends.

packattack4444
01-27-2009, 01:30 PM
I still woulda kept my pick for jennings but why is woodson not in this poll?

Twiddler
01-27-2009, 01:36 PM

I think GB12 said that he went alphabetical and just got to a point where he couldn't put anymore on. Nothing personal.

GB12
01-27-2009, 03:22 PM

I think GB12 said that he went alphabetical and just got to a point where he couldn't put anymore on. Nothing personal.
Pretty much. I just wanted to replace the old one so I made that one quickly. I just put the first players I thought of on alphabetically. I'll change it in a couple days anyway.

And you need to change your sig. That is way too big.

Pacific
01-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Yep. It's official.

So I guess I'm a little fuzzy on the whole hiring process now. Are we going after a Cornerbacks coach now or will Perry coach the entire secondary? Is our defensive staff set now?

TitleTown088
01-27-2009, 06:00 PM
So I guess I'm a little fuzzy on the whole hiring process now. Are we going after a Cornerbacks coach now or will Perry coach the entire secondary? Is our defensive staff set now?
They're saying Perry will coach the safeties and Whitt (sp) will likely coach the corner backs.

Mr. Stiller
01-28-2009, 12:26 AM
It depends on who the TE is I'd assume, but expect to see more zone if we have 2 outside rushers.

Thats part of it.

Certain coverages will make it different responsibilties.

If he's on the weakside I'd assume it's the Weakside ILB if he's athletic enough.

Same with the SILB. We're Spoiled in Pitt with Timmons at the "Mack" and Farrior at the Buck... both are athletic enough to cover every TE in the league save Winslow. Winslow is the only guy we really utilize the SS on.

Mr. Stiller
01-28-2009, 12:30 AM
As for Perry, it looks like they're really trying to mimick the Steelers Defense.

Greene has been a TC assistant the past 3-5 years or so, working with the DE's, LB's on passrushing and run stopping techniques.

So has Joe Greene.

Perry was an excellent safety and a pretty good coach. We let him go due to a DUI.

Greene, Perry and Capers.. You guys are really trying to build the Steelers defense. Good luck.

PACKmanN
01-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Yep. It's official.

I don't like him as a safeties hire. I think they have done a poor job of developing Huff, ugh.

Boston
01-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Packers hire Dave Redding as Strength and Conditioning coach.

Redding will continue much of the same free-weight techniques that Gullickson employed, but McCarthy's hope is that he will create a more comfortable environment for the players. Sources have said that McCarthy's main reason for replacing Gullickson was that he did not think players were responding well to the program and needed to make a change.

Redding has received numerous honors for his work, including several yearly honors as strength and conditioning coach of the year. In 2006, he was inducted into the USA Strength and Conditioning Coaches' Hall of Fame.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/38559842.html

TitleTown088
01-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Packers hire Dave Redding as Strength and Conditioning coach.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/38559842.html

Hopefully he can keep the defense of IR.

johbur
01-29-2009, 09:59 AM
http://www.footballspeakers.com/i/greene_kevin.jpg

http://cache.deadspin.com/sports/upload/2006/07/ajhawkdoofus.jpg

hawk is gonna be an OLB and turn into Kevin Greene Jr., right?

Hawk looks like Kevin Greene's love-child. Thankfully these guys made a lot of money through football. lest they'd have to take stop 9 and a 1/2 and go back to Hogwart's to provide security...

UK_Cheesehead
01-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Loving the pick ups in coaches so far, very impressive pedigree's they have.

I think the transition may take a while and there will be some teething problems, but in general I'm confident that in a few years time it will have been very successful and we will have ourselves a very strong D with a more than competent offense.

Pacific
01-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Loving the pick ups in coaches so far, very impressive pedigree's they have.

I think the transition may take a while and there will be some teething problems, but in general I'm confident that in a few years time it will have been very successful and we will have ourselves a very strong D with a more than competent offense.

I too am excited about our defense for this year and years to come. I feel really good about how young we are and how talented we've looked at times. The biggest thing we need now is a killer instinct. Not being able to close against Tennessee and Carolina among others really hurt us. Hopefully all of the new faces on the defensive staff can give our entire team a much needed toughness.

TitleTown088
01-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Rodgers is on Jim rome today. He also did an interview for the super bowl on Sirius.

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/audio/recent/

TitleTown088
01-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Oh no. Favre won't speak with Rodgers... What a self-absorbed a hole he is. Be prepared to hear about this on ESPN.

http://outsports.com/jocktalkblog/2009/01/29/brett-favre-shows-aaron-rodgers-his-true-color-green/

tjsunstein
01-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Im not surprised about this at all. Favre held out to play for the Packers and couldn't because Rodgers was the guy. Favre wanted GB to himself always.

someone447
01-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Im not surprised about this at all. Favre held out to play for the Packers and couldn't because Rodgers was the guy. Favre wanted GB to himself always.

If you got fired and replaced by one of your friends, wouldn't you be pissed? Especially if your friend was directly responsible for you losing your job?

drowe
01-30-2009, 02:16 PM
ya know..i always thought i'd be really sad when Brett Favre wasn't our QB anymore. I gotta give him credit. he left, and made sure i wasn't sad that he's gone.

i'm gonna send him some Midol.

umphrey
01-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Why do they still ask our players about Favre one year later...they must get so fed up with it. Just follow him to NY plz.

PACKmanN
01-30-2009, 03:13 PM
If you got fired and replaced by one of your friends, wouldn't you be pissed? Especially if your friend was directly responsible for you losing your job?

but if your friend is better then you at this point of your career and has worked harder then you have then yes you should be fired.

princefielder28
01-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Let's just not talk about Favre or the ordeal that took up last off-season. Time to move on; who cares if he doesn't want to talk to Rodgers.

johbur
01-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Let's just not talk about Favre or the ordeal that took up last off-season. Time to move on; who cares if he doesn't want to talk to Rodgers.

QFT. Unless it is time for the HOF or he shows up for his former teammates, not interested. Right now I want to hear about him as much as I do Joe Namath.

Whistler6
01-31-2009, 11:09 PM
God I agree with that post above..

Anyways, with all the Hall of Fame stuff going on I was wondering a few things. Do the Packers have any HOF'ers? I mean C. Woodson as revived his career and has pretty solid stats, but I don't see anyone else who could even be in discussion right now.

As far as the Packer's Hall of Fame, Mr. Driver is a lock..anyone else?

Burger
01-31-2009, 11:21 PM

Anyways, with all the Hall of Fame stuff going on I was wondering a few things. Do the Packers have any HOF'ers? I mean C. Woodson as revived his career and has pretty solid stats, but I don't see anyone else who could even be in discussion right now.

Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher

GB12
01-31-2009, 11:28 PM

The fact that only 10 of our players are over the age of 26 might have something to do with that.

Obviously because of that it's way too early to include any of them, but Jennings is on the right path. If anyone currently on the team would make it he's the best bet. Through his first 3 years he has twice as many yards and TDs than hall of famer Michael Irvin did. And his 12 TDs is 2007 is more than Irvin ever had in a single season.

PACKmanN
02-01-2009, 01:08 AM

Sharpe> Donald and Butler> Donald.

someone447
02-01-2009, 03:13 AM
but if your friend is better then you at this point of your career and has worked harder then you have then yes you should be fired.

But you would still be pissed. At least I would. Favre is a competitor, you can't fault him for this. If you do, you obviously haven't competed at a high level before.

PACKmanN
02-01-2009, 03:17 AM
But you would still be pissed. At least I would. Favre is a competitor, you can't fault him for this. If you do, you obviously haven't competed at a high level before.

Favre has to learn that overtime you have to be mature and move on. Rodgers was a back up for 3 years, you didn't see him acting that way. You think Rodgers enjoyed not playing?

I would have been pissed but I would have moved on. And yes I have competed at a high level before and worked my *** off, that is how I won the starting job for my High School football team. I showed the coaches I was the better player.

someone447
02-01-2009, 03:18 AM
Jennings is on pace, but I would have said the same thing about Ahman Green a few years back. No one on the Packers has a shot, as of now, to make the HOF. The only ones who I can possibly see making the HOF are Jennings, and Barnett. I very highly doubt either of them make it. But they are the only ones near the top of their position right now.

someone447
02-01-2009, 03:25 AM
Favre has to learn that overtime you have to be mature and move on. Rodgers was a back up for 3 years, you didn't see him acting that way. You think Rodgers enjoyed not playing?

I would have been pissed but I would have moved on. And yes I have competed at a high level before and worked my *** off, that is how I won the starting job for my High School football team. I showed the coaches I was the better player.

I would have taken Favre over Rodgers this year. High school is not a high level, sorry, but thats the truth. But that is besides the point. The people with the cut throat mentality are the ones who play beyond high school, the ones that would rather die than lose make the pros(plus they are amazing athletes.) Favre is a competitor, if he wasn't he wouldnt have been in the league for so long(at all really.) Brett Favre is an NFL legend, he is a top 5 QB of all time, he gave the Packers a better chance to win this year than Rodgers did. I think the entire situation was a complete clusterfuck. Favre handled it poorly, but so did TT. I do not fault Favre for not talking to Rodgers, not in the slightest. If I was in the same position I would be pissed off too. I would imagine Favre feels like Rodgers stabbed him in the back.

PACKmanN
02-01-2009, 03:30 AM
I would have taken Favre over Rodgers this year. High school is not a high level, sorry, but thats the truth. But that is besides the point. The people with the cut throat mentality are the ones who play beyond high school, the ones that would rather die than lose make the pros(plus they are amazing athletes.) Favre is a competitor, if he wasn't he wouldnt have been in the league for so long(at all really.) Brett Favre is an NFL legend, he is a top 5 QB of all time, he gave the Packers a better chance to win this year than Rodgers did. I think the entire situation was a complete clusterfuck. Favre handled it poorly, but so did TT. I do not fault Favre for not talking to Rodgers, not in the slightest. If I was in the same position I would be pissed off too. I would imagine Favre feels like Rodgers stabbed him in the back.

What did Rodgers do wrong? is it wrong of him to listen to the coaches and GM when they say he is the starting qb of the Packers...all he did was do his job, if Favre is mad at anyone it should be TT and MM. They are the ones who didn't want Favre back as the Packers QB, not Rodgers. Rodgers got his chance to be the Packers qb and ran with it.

princefielder28
02-01-2009, 03:32 AM
I thought we were finished with all the finger pointing from this past off-season's ordeal. It was handled poorly by both parties but it's time to move on.

someone447
02-01-2009, 03:42 AM
What did Rodgers do wrong? is it wrong of him to listen to the coaches and GM when they say he is the starting qb of the Packers...all he did was do his job, if Favre is mad at anyone it should be TT and MM. They are the ones who didn't want Favre back as the Packers QB, not Rodgers. Rodgers got his chance to be the Packers qb and ran with it.

Rodgers did nothing wrong, I'm sure Favre is mad at TT and MM also. But seriously think about it, if you got fired and a friend of yours got the job you used to have, would you really be ok with it? I know for damn sure I wouldn't be I would be pissed at my "friend" for betraying me. That is what Favre sees Rodgers having done. Personally, I don't blame him. Rodgers took his place, I would be pissed off too.

PACKmanN
02-01-2009, 03:45 AM
Rodgers did nothing wrong, I'm sure Favre is mad at TT and MM also. But seriously think about it, if you got fired and a friend of yours got the job you used to have, would you really be ok with it? I know for damn sure I wouldn't be I would be pissed at my "friend" for betraying me. That is what Favre sees Rodgers having done. Personally, I don't blame him. Rodgers took his place, I would be pissed off too.

Would you consider Rodgers and Favre true friends? I mean yeah they played on the same team for 3 years but Rodgers said the relationship got better as the years went on, that means they weren't such great friends.

I understand where your coming from but Favre should know this best, its a business, then everything else last. It was a disaster all together and I for one am fed up with this.

UK_Cheesehead
02-01-2009, 08:52 AM

If this "friend" happened to just walk into my job then yeah, I probably would be pissed. If I had been "mentoring" this "friend" over the past 3 years ready for him to eventually take my place, would I pissed? Doubtful.

Favre knew that what happened last off-season was going to happen sooner or later, no matter how much he wants to carry on playing. Favre knew this franchise had a decision to make regarding it's future, I personally feel it was the correct one and we have a QB who I am truly happy to have here, we can build our team around him, if we had kept Favre we would have had the EXACT same problems this off-season to last, we wouldn't have won the superbowl, so why bother delaying it, and start re-building sooner rather than later and delaying the inevitable?

Favre knew it was going to happen, it was a messy situation but I fail to see how Rodgers can be at fault for ANY of what happened. Favre can be pissed at TT/MM sure, but Rodgers, why?

Anyway, I'm fed up with the whole Favre debate. That's my 2 cents worth.

Twiddler
02-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Well, I'm "retiring". I'm pretty serious too, as I'm removing the site from my list of bookmarks on Firefox, haha. I had a good time, and you guys are all great. Go Packers!

princefielder28
02-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Well, I'm "retiring". I'm pretty serious too, as I'm removing the site from my list of bookmarks on Firefox, haha. I had a good time, and you guys are all great. Go Packers!

Well, take care, good luck w/ school and go packers!

johbur
02-01-2009, 10:27 PM
AZ 40 seconds away from a SB win. Given that team and their weaknesses, I think with Capers on board and some growth on our defense, we should be competing for the Norris Division title and maybe more. Go Pack!

Whistler6
02-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Interesting, Doug Pederson was just hired by the Eagles to be some sort of offensive coach. Talk about a career backup, what a life.

GB12
02-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Interesting, Doug Pederson was just hired by the Eagles to be some sort of offensive coach. Talk about a career backup, what a life.
Should be a good fit. His second time around in Green Bay he kind of seemed like an extra coach. I've always liked Doug Pederson. We would have been in big trouble if he was ever needed, but he was nice to have as a back up QB. Perfect guy to be behind Favre.

TitleTown088
02-02-2009, 08:04 PM

Wasn't he hired to be a QB coach? He should already be a seasoned vet in that department.

Whistler6
02-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Wasn't he hired to be a QB coach? He should already be a seasoned vet in that department.

Yeah I am pretty sure that is it.. But haha your right, he's been a coach for the past however many years he's been in the NFL. Maybe not totally, but close.

TitleTown088
02-03-2009, 07:10 PM
OMG Pepperzz to GB! Take the story for what its worth,probably complete BS. Interesting scenario non-the less.

PACKmanN
02-03-2009, 08:08 PM
OMG Pepperzz to GB! Take the story for what its worth,probably complete BS. Interesting scenario non-the less.

give me draft picks and a young guy rather then trading him for Peppers. We still wouldn't know how well he would do in a 34.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/38887954.html#comments

doesn't seem likely now.

TitleTown088
02-03-2009, 11:53 PM
give me draft picks and a young guy rather then trading him for Peppers. We still wouldn't know how well he would do in a 34.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/38887954.html#comments

doesn't seem likely now.

I don't think it was ever likely, but that article does not guarantee he would be moved.

GB12
02-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Ugh, please don't post anything thing from that site here.

It's a terrible site with awful "news" stories and a crappy forum filled with a bunch of casual fans and stupid posters. It also fits under the rival site category which is against the rules, although there's enough reason to not post from there even if it didn't break the rules.

That is a post written by some guy on their forum. He's not even a journalist and has zero credibility. He's not a very informed or intelligent fan at that either. News that Kampman would be a key part of our defense next year came out weeks ago and he's saying that he'll likely be traded. The post overall was crap too. The majority of posters in this thread could and do post better stuff than that.

Yatta!
02-04-2009, 06:51 AM
I know its pretty pointless now as we've changed defensive schemes but anyone wanna give me some feedback on my efforts in the expansion team forum mock. It was my first go at one of these.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1410543&postcount=16

Couple of notes: Poppinga was taken in the expansion draft, Ruvell Martin was traded to the Giants. Salary cap money was spent on extensions to Jennings and Collins - with relatively large cap figures in the first year.

greenbaysurf
02-05-2009, 08:14 PM
what up guys"? im new to the forum but not to any of the recent news. i want to talk draft picks all the way through the first day. We need OLB,NT,SS,TE,OT,RB. FA'S peppers, haynsworth, suggs, larry johnson. draft freaks... raji, orakpo, english, mauluga, ian johnson, micheal robinson,.... im down with capers, greene(wish he was playing),trogvoc, etc. slocum it great, i actually sat down and talked with him his very first night in Geebs at margaritas in 06. nice guy and should be a decent sp. teams coach.

PACKmanN
02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Michael Robinson? I agree with your needs but not RB or TE.

greenbaysurf
02-05-2009, 08:19 PM
we need a chris johnson.... someone who can run the edges, screens, west coast routes, and return job.

greenbaysurf
02-05-2009, 08:22 PM
maybe brandon jackson is that but i havent seen it consistanly; and maybe thats cuz he didn't get the oppertunity last season. WE JUST NEED GRANT TO HIT THE CUTBACK LANE....please, thats how he got 975 in ten games in 07, plant the foot and cutback. ps. anyone whaching wis beatdown ill?

umphrey
02-06-2009, 12:46 PM
I've been saying that for years...Chris Johnson would be great but I'm willing to settle for a Leon Washington or Jerious Norwood. Grant really struggled last year. He got the rock a ton of times and never broke out. Some of it was blocking problems but we played against 2 deep safeties every single game and Grant still couldn't consistently get those 4-5 yard runs. I was to see BJax get involved more, maybe even Lumkpin or Wynn as well.

umphrey
02-06-2009, 01:01 PM
I thought it was interesting that a big reason why Trgovac game to GB was because of the town and atmosphere. GB might not be the big city all FAs want but at least some players will want to come here and play for a championship. Coaches, atleast, it seems like.

TitleTown088
02-06-2009, 04:29 PM
I thought it was interesting that a big reason why Trgovac game to GB was because of the town and atmosphere. GB might not be the big city all FAs want but at least some players will want to come here and play for a championship. Coaches, atleast, it seems like. Not all players are attention whores grew up in New York/Houston/LA. They can like smaller towns too.

Yatta!
02-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Just read this article by Rick Gosselin ranking special teams units. We came 27th and were last in kick return average and penalties.

Now I thought it would be our punting game dragging us down but I suppose Blackmon taking a few punts to the house made me assume that our KR game was pretty good. So do we need a KR?

Link
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/misc/weekend/stories/020809dnspospecialteamslede.38f0fd2.html

umphrey
02-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Blackmon as a KR is overrated. He's too all or nothing for me. I'd take the consistent field position over a few big returns any day.

Pacific
02-09-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm fine with Blackmon as a returner, especially a PR. I wouldn't mind replacing Jordyzzz on the KR unit though. Maybe have both Blackmon and Tramon Williams? Williams showed a little potential as a returner a year ago.

GB12
02-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Blackmon is fine. If he gets decent blocking he can be even better.
I'm fine with Blackmon as a returner, especially a PR. I wouldn't mind replacing Jordyzzz on the KR unit though. Maybe have both Blackmon and Tramon Williams? Williams showed a little potential as a returner a year ago. Nelson is back there because he can block. Blackmon is the primary kick returner; if the ball is anywhere near him he takes it. Nelson is there as a blocker that has the ability to return if Blackmon can't get to it.

TitleTown088
02-11-2009, 01:51 PM
With favre's retirement after one season we lose a 7th rounder o the Jets, but I believe it's next years'?

Smokey
02-11-2009, 03:05 PM
With favre's retirement after one season we lose a 7th rounder o the Jets, but I believe it's next years'?

Yes. From Kevin Seifert at espn.com:

Brett Favre's retirement announcement Wednesday essentially finalized the terms of the trade that sent him from Green Bay to the New York Jets last summer.

The Packers will get a 2009 third-round pick, a conditional premium resulting from Favre's 2008 playing time. But as numerous media outlets have pointed out, the Packers will have to send the Jets a seventh-round pick in 2010 because Favre will have played only one season for the Jets.

Those terms would change only if Favre plays for the Jets in 2009. If he returns to play for another team, the terms won't change. If the Jets trade him to an NFC North team, they'll have to send the Packers three first-round draft picks.

umphrey
02-12-2009, 02:10 PM
So is it obvious now we made the right move with Favre?

He tanked the second half of the season and retired. Rodgers played consistently well all year and we were able to give him a long term contract.

ChezPower4
02-12-2009, 02:25 PM

He tanked the second half of the season and retired. Rodgers played consistently well all year and we were able to give him a long term contract.

Favre was hurt the last 5 or 6 games of the year. Which I have no doubt that the injury played a huge factor in his poor play down the stretch.

RockJock07
02-12-2009, 09:24 PM

Who cares? It is what it is, with that said, I'm happy with Aaron at QB. I just want that 3rd rounder to become a starter on defense.

Burger
02-13-2009, 12:05 AM
I love Harrell's chances next year. The new conditioning coach is a genius.

tjsunstein
02-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Combine is next week. Who are some prospects you're looking out for, aside from the obvious first rounders?

My list is filled with 4th round talent but still:
Jeremiah Johnson, RB Oregon
Coye Francies, CB San Jose State
Mitch King, DL Iowa
Domonique Johnson, CB Jackson State

Not many others I'm particulary interested in seeing that pertain to the Packers needs

bigboiajhawk
02-13-2009, 09:23 AM
i like mitch king a lot but the guy i am really looking forward to seeing is jarron gilbert. He is a guy that could be our 2nd round pick

Yatta!
02-16-2009, 05:54 AM
The reality, Favre knows now, is he not only wanted to play again, but he wanted to show Green Bay -- particularly general manager Ted Thompson -- that it was making a big mistake in going forward without him. "Part of me coming back last year, I have to admit now, was sticking it to Ted,'' he said in a rather startling admission.

From Peter King. Well, at least everyone knows the real reason for definite now.

TitleTown088
02-16-2009, 11:20 AM
From Peter King. Well, at least everyone knows the real reason for definite now.

Nothing new.I assumed everyone knew this all along...

Also, re-sign Taush, yay or nay?

tjsunstein
02-16-2009, 12:42 PM

Can I go in between with a meh?

umphrey
02-16-2009, 12:47 PM
nay, we'll be lucky to get 1 good year from him. I'd rather draft somebody in round 2 or go with Breno.

Also I'm still hoping Smith or Smith drops to #9 and even though it wouldn't be a great fit, they could spend a year at RT until Clifton moves on. Jason Smith has been at the top of my wish list for months now but his stock has steadily risen above our heads, sadly. Same thing happened with Amobi Okoye, Marshawn Lynch, and Mario Williams.

There are a lot of good options that we could go with at #41. I don't see any plug and play starters but the OL is all about building the best group and letting the cream rise to the top naturally, IMO.

Edit: Fred Taylor was realeased, SIGN HIM!!!
Yeah he's an older RB, but he's not done. He won't be a break the bank FA. He's been playing in a RBBC and he can come play in ours. He would bring an awesome spark to our running game. Our RB stable would be pretty scary with a cheap addition, IMO.

princefielder28
02-16-2009, 01:14 PM

Mark will be re-sign for a year or two at a lower price because of the injury. That'll also allow the team to develop Breno a bit more and see how he'll fit at the position.

PACKmanN
02-16-2009, 01:17 PM
nay, we'll be lucky to get 1 good year from him. I'd rather draft somebody in round 2 or go with Breno.

Also I'm still hoping Smith or Smith drops to #9 and even though it wouldn't be a great fit, they could spend a year at RT until Clifton moves on. Jason Smith has been at the top of my wish list for months now but his stock has steadily risen above our heads, sadly. Same thing happened with Amobi Okoye, Marshawn Lynch, and Mario Williams.

There are a lot of good options that we could go with at #41. I don't see any plug and play starters but the OL is all about building the best group and letting the cream rise to the top naturally, IMO.

Edit: Fred Taylor was realeased, SIGN HIM!!!
Yeah he's an older RB, but he's not done. He won't be a break the bank FA. He's been playing in a RBBC and he can come play in ours. He would bring an awesome spark to our running game. Our RB stable would be pretty scary with a cheap addition, IMO.

no thanks on Fred. Jackson showed a lot of promise last year and would rather give him more carries.

umphrey
02-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I see Taylor as an immediate upgrade as a 2. Jackson would still see him on 3rd downs. The NFL isn't about developing running backs...it's pretty much what you see is what you get at that position. Yeah he might get a little better in pass pro but it's really rare to see a running back break out after being in the league for awhile.

PACKmanN
02-16-2009, 01:49 PM
How do we know that Taylor will be the same running back he was before injury and younger? He is 33 and had an injury that ended his season plus he only average 3.9 yards a carry, he had an average season. Right now I want to see more of Jackson.

rumfinator
02-16-2009, 03:03 PM
I am on the side of Brandon Jackson. I think he can eventually be the number one and a scary number one at that. He has great size at 210-220, excellent speed, and can catch....I like Fred Taylor but he is older and wouldn't offer anything other than veteran leadership.

umphrey
02-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Maybe I just lack faith in Grant because I think Jackson can be a success with us. He really didn't look like a 20 carry a game guy last year. Most of the games he looked slow and worn down.

TitleTown088
02-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Maybe I just lack faith in Grant because I think Jackson can be a success with us. He really didn't look like a 20 carry a game guy last year. Most of the games he looked slow and worn down.

Don't underestimate the role Run blocking had in this seasons run game.

bigboiajhawk
02-16-2009, 08:27 PM
1200 yards, didnt play at full strength at the start of the season, didnt take part in most of TC and all of OTA's, I think Grant will have a great season next year. I am saying 1400+ yards.

Whistler6
02-16-2009, 08:44 PM
With the Broncos cutting Dewayne Robertson and if the Packers could lure him in fairly cheap, I think he would fill a need for NT. He isn't a bad player at all, and I thought he was doing well for the Jets before he went to Denver. Maybe not..

Burger
02-16-2009, 08:57 PM
With the Broncos cutting Dewayne Robertson and if the Packers could lure him in fairly cheap, I think he would fill a need for NT. He isn't a bad player at all, and I thought he was doing well for the Jets before he went to Denver. Maybe not..

He'd be a great end though.

tolnaballa
02-16-2009, 09:07 PM
The reason Dewayne Robertson is being cut from Denver is because they are switching to the 3-4 just like the Packers. They don't feel he is a NT in the 3-4. It is the same reason he was traded from the Jets to the Broncos. The Jets went to a 3-4 so they traded him. I dont think he is the answer to NT in a 3-4.

PACKmanN
02-16-2009, 09:53 PM
The one thing I am wondering is when does TT plan to resign Collins?

GB12
02-16-2009, 09:58 PM
The one thing I am wondering is when does TT plan to resign Collins?
Probably not until during the season. We'll wait until after free agency and all of our draft picks are signed for sure. Greg Jennings should be signed next and then start working on Collins. There's no hurry to get it done soon.

PACKmanN
02-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Probably not until during the season. We'll wait until after free agency and all of our draft picks are signed for sure. Greg Jennings should be signed next and then start working on Collins. There's no hurry to get it done soon.

nvm, I thought he was a free agent. So who do we have as free agents, Tausch, Cole, Montgomery, Martin?

GB12
02-16-2009, 11:14 PM
nvm, I thought he was a free agent. So who do we have as free agents, Tausch, Cole, Montgomery, Martin?
Atari Bigby, Colin Cole, Mark Tauscher, Mike Montgomery, Ruvell Martin, Jason Hunter, Shaun Bodiford, Jarret Bush, Tory Humphrey, Tony Palmer, and John Kuhn.

Only Cole, Montgomery, and Tauscher are unrestricted.

I think we should let Bush, Montgomery, Palmer, and Bodiford walk. Sign Tauscher to a one year deal and get Cole signed on a two year contract. Give Bigby the 1st round tender, Martin the second round tender, Hunter the low tender, Kuhn the low tender, and Humphrey the low tender.

PACKmanN
02-16-2009, 11:19 PM
I think Cole wants to test the open market, there was reports of us offering him a contract but he declined the 2 million per season deal.

Yatta!
02-17-2009, 04:38 AM
Give Bigby the 1st round tender, Martin the second round tender, Hunter the low tender, Kuhn the low tender, and Humphrey the low tender.

Agree with most of what you said GB12 but here's the bit I don't understand about RFAs. Martin, Kuhn and Humphrey were all UDFAs so does giving them the low tender (or original draft tender as I've seen it called) mean that those guys could sign an offer sheet with another team and we would get no compensation?

Scotty D
02-17-2009, 05:01 AM
Agree with most of what you said GB12 but here's the bit I don't understand about RFAs. Martin, Kuhn and Humphrey were all UDFAs so does giving them the low tender (or original draft tender as I've seen it called) mean that those guys could sign an offer sheet with another team and we would get no compensation?

I'm thread hopping, but yes you are correct. But you still have the right to match any contract that they sign.

TitleTown088
02-17-2009, 11:47 AM
I think Cole wants to test the open market, there was reports of us offering him a contract but he declined the 2 million per season deal.

I hope he tests it and someone else bites. I don't want him around anymore, especially in the 3-4.

umphrey
02-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Who are we going to franchise this year?

Possibilities:
Mark Tauscher: Starting to break down coming off knee surgery, he isn't likely to get a long term deal but would very likely help us in 09. He will be 32 at the start of the season. He is unlikely to get the tag only because he'd get the "OL" tag which includes left tackles coming in at ~8.4 mil.

Atari Bigby: One good year followed by a poor/mediocre injury filled year. As long as he can play in our *new* defense he should stick around and get a contract. Atari is an RFA though so it would be almost pointless to tag him when we can just put a high tender on him for a lot cheaper.

Colin Cole: Probably won't stay with the team, and the tag is over his price value (at ~6.0 mil). He is the only one who I could see getting tagged because we could do the same thing we did with Corey. But can we do that 2 years in a row and not piss someone off? Corey was mad and he was a bust in Cleveland, what team would follow in their footsteps?

I guess there is a pretty good chance we don't use the tag this year. Jennings or Collins or Kampman might get it next year (they are all UFAs of 2010 right?)

Yatta!
02-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Theres no way we use the tag, we have loads of cap room and none of our FAs are worth it this year anyway. Bigby is an RFA anyway so that acts kind of like a tag in a way. Maybe next year but I would expect everyone to get resigned by then.

TitleTown088
02-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Franchise Taush? Why in the world would the Packers do that? Guarantee that much money to guy coming off and ACL tear?

The rest make no sense either.

Tender/sign Bigby, let Cole walk.

Mr.Regular
02-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Hey anyone want to join me in doing a joint mock draft? We could do it via MSN or something. Shoot me a PM if interested, we could do a 2/3 rounder alternating odds/evens or something like that.

princefielder28
02-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Hey anyone want to join me in doing a joint mock draft? We could do it via MSN or something. Shoot me a PM if interested, we could do a 2/3 rounder alternating odds/evens or something like that.

I'll do one with ya

umphrey
02-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Franchise Taush? Why in the world would the Packers do that? Guarantee that much money to guy coming off and ACL tear?

The rest make no sense either.

Tender/sign Bigby, let Cole walk.

I was just putting some ideas out there...as you can read I don't expect any of them to happen.

Mr.Regular
02-17-2009, 01:40 PM
I'll do one with ya
Cool, I sent you a PM.

PackerLegend
02-18-2009, 07:41 PM
I read like a week ago we are going to likely let Cole and Montgomery walk. The coaches feel they aren't the greatest fits. I also read that we will probably resign Tausch and that his injury will only drive his price down.

TitleTown088
02-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Apparently peppers has listed four teams he wants to play for and the Packers are mentioned...

Here.
Julius Peppers-DL- Panthers Feb. 18 - 5:10 pm et

Free agent Julius Peppers reportedly will refuse to sign a long-term contract with any club not on his four-team wish list "under any circumstance."
Adam Schefter notes that Peppers already turned down a deal from Carolina that would've trumped Jared Allen's, so he's not playing games. The Broncos, Packers, Chiefs, and Dolphins are positioned the best to get him.
Source: NFL.com

GB12
02-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Call me crazy, but no thanks on Peppers.

someone447
02-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Call me crazy, but no thanks on Peppers.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want Peppers. Yes, he will be making a transition at the same time Kampmann is. But the primary job of a 3-4 OLB is pass rush. An offense having to account for both Peppers and Kampmann would be damn near impossible. Plus, they are both athletic enough to make the switch.

GB12
02-18-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't understand why you wouldn't want Peppers. Yes, he will be making a transition at the same time Kampmann is. But the primary job of a 3-4 OLB is pass rush. An offense having to account for both Peppers and Kampmann would be damn near impossible. Plus, they are both athletic enough to make the switch.
We'd have to give up a ton to trade for him, and then once we do that pay him over $12 million a year. For a 29 year old that has never played the position I'll pass on that. I'd do that for Terrell Suggs, but no not Peppers.

stealthbomber
02-18-2009, 10:07 PM
We'd have to give up a ton to trade for him, and then once we do that pay him over $12 million a year. For a 29 year old that has never played the position I'll pass on that. I'd do that for Terrell Suggs, but no not Peppers.

Just because he's never played the position doesn't mean he won't kick butt at it.

Peppers is a special special athlete. And 29 is not that old anymore, plus he's 3 years younger than Reggie White was when the Packers got him and he still gave the Packers 4 great years. And White had much more wear & tear on his body at 29 than Peppers has.

The age, and the ability, and the money are non-issues.

Now you can question the guy's work ethic and tenacity. He's had a tendancy to disappear for stretches, not appearing to give 100%. Now Kampman has disappeared for many stretched recently also, but you know he's always giving 100%.

PACKmanN
02-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Apparently peppers has listed four teams he wants to play for and the Packers are mentioned...

Here.

ESPN reports that its four teams, 2-3 of them are NFC teams and the fourth one has been reported to be the Cowboys.

PACKmanN
02-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Just because he's never played the position doesn't mean he won't kick butt at it.

Peppers is a special special athlete. And 29 is not that old anymore, plus he's 3 years younger than Reggie White was when the Packers got him and he still gave the Packers 4 great years. And White had much more wear & tear on his body at 29 than Peppers has.

The age, and the ability, and the money are non-issues.

Now you can question the guy's work ethic and tenacity. He's had a tendancy to disappear for stretches, not appearing to give 100%. Now Kampman has disappeared for many stretched recently also, but you know he's always giving 100%.
yes the age is a problem, he has been a DE for years and has faced too much punishment on his body. Plus he is in the 280s, he needs to drop at least 20 pounds to be able to run around without get tried quickly.

money is also an issue, most of our young talent are in their rookie contracts, we are going to be spending a lot of our money.

and you can't shoot down the fact that he might not be able to be successful in a 34 and then say he will be successful. There is more of a chance of him failing at it.

TitleTown088
02-18-2009, 10:19 PM

Exactly. It would be a huge gamble,you'd have to pay with a draft pick as well as a contract for a guy who is nearly 30 and hasn't proved anything in the 3-4. A failure like that is a potential franchise breaker, would be a HUGE setback if it went down.
You potentially miss out on a guy you could have had with the draft pick you gave up for peppers, and miss out on extending guys/ and Free agents who could shore up the Trenches as well. It would have repercussions everywhere.

Getting him in Free agency? That's a different story.However, Still Not something I'd necessarily Favor.

cuzifelt1ikeit
02-18-2009, 10:49 PM
green bay isnt actually one of the teams. roto world simply listed the teams with the best caproom as potential suitors... also i read that two of the three mentioned teams are teams that the panthers would not like to trade peppers to. which are likely teams within the nfc south.. except they all run a 4-3 in the nfc south so that doesnt really make sense.

with suggs getting franchised the only player id really like to see us consider is haynesworth. but not really even him after all the character concerns.. id rather just stand pat look at the mid level free agents and draft impact players in the draft

TitleTown088
02-18-2009, 11:09 PM
green bay isnt actually one of the teams. roto world simply listed the teams with the best caproom as potential suitors... also i read that two of the three mentioned teams are teams that the panthers would not like to trade peppers to. which are likely teams within the nfc south.. except they all run a 4-3 in the nfc south so that doesnt really make sense.

The Packers are one of the few teams in the NFC that run a 3-4, which is what peppers insists on playing in. In fact, only 4 teams in the NFC now run the 3-4, correct? Why couldn't green bay be a team?

princefielder28
02-18-2009, 11:30 PM
The Packers are one of the few teams in the NFC that run a 3-4, which is what peppers insists on playing in. In fact, only 4 teams in the NFC now run the 3-4, correct? Why couldn't green bay be a team?

Plus, there's a couple of Carolina connections on the defensive coaching staff

I just want to add my two cents; I don't want to go after Peppers either. Based off the potential price, picks and money, I don't think its a good fit for Green Bay. Plus, I don't think he'll be quite as successful standing up as some people believe.

GB12
02-18-2009, 11:36 PM
I think the best plan is to sign either Olshansky or Canty and then draft Everett Brown at 9.

TitleTown088
02-19-2009, 12:32 AM
I think the best plan is to sign either Olshansky or Canty and then draft Everett Brown at 9.

I'd Love Ignor, and like Brown, just not at 9. Especially if Raji is there.

someone447
02-19-2009, 12:50 AM
I would love to get Olshansky, and then pick Raji with #9. I wouldn't give up this years first for Peppers, because #9 is too valuable to give up. I wouldn't hesitate to do it if it would be something like a 2nd, next years first, and a fourth(even up to a 3rd, as long as the Packers got a low round pick also), or something to that extent.

Imagine this:
Jenkins-Pickett/Raji-Olshanksy
Peppers-Hawk-Barnett-Kampmann
Woodson-Bigby-Collins-Harris

I'm going to have a wet dream tonight just thinking about that.

cuzifelt1ikeit
02-19-2009, 12:11 PM

based off of what i have read, from rotoworld and pft and packerupdate, peppers has his wish list narrowed to four teams. of those four there are three nfc squads and one from the afc. so that leaves us with three slots. and one of the nfc teams has been named as the cowboys. leaving us with two slots. i read that a 'source close to the situation' said that the two teams unnamed in the nfc the panthers wont want to trade peppers to. right off the bat you would think that it would be nfc south teams however no nfc south team uses a 3-4.

i just dont see why the panthers wouldnt want to trade peppers to the packers. we dont even play them this upcoming year. it just doesnt make that much sense

TitleTown088
02-19-2009, 12:59 PM
based off of what i have read, from rotoworld and pft and packerupdate, peppers has his wish list narrowed to four teams. of those four there are three nfc squads and one from the afc. so that leaves us with three slots. and one of the nfc teams has been named as the cowboys. leaving us with two slots. i read that a 'source close to the situation' said that the two teams unnamed in the nfc the panthers wont want to trade peppers to. right off the bat you would think that it would be nfc south teams however no nfc south team uses a 3-4.

i just dont see why the panthers wouldnt want to trade peppers to the packers. we dont even play them this upcoming year. it just doesnt make that much sense

No one implied the Panther will want to trade him to the packers, I just claimed the Packers are likely one of the teams Pepper could be interested in being traded to should he be franchised.

Also.

according to the Wisconsin State Journal, Tauscher and the Packers have begun talks on a deal for him to return in ’09. This seems like a best-case scenario for the nine-year veteran, given the timing of his surgery, which took place Jan. 15.

cuzifelt1ikeit
02-19-2009, 04:23 PM
No one implied the Panther will want to trade him to the packers, I just claimed the Packers are likely one of the teams Pepper could be interested in being traded to should he be franchised.

Also.

agree to disagree haha. peppers has 4 teams that he wants to play for. he had 5, narrowed the list to 4 and i just see it unlikely that we are one of two teams that he wants to be traded to. and those two teams are reported to be teams that the panthers would not want to trade peppers too. i was just throwing it out there... i never said that anyone implied it. i know nobody implied it.

PackerLegend
02-19-2009, 11:30 PM
pretty sure Peppers has said he would like to be a 3-4 OLB but that doesn't mean he wont play DE in a 4-3. TT wont be trading for anyone especially with the age and price for players most want. He will stick with his picks and likely trade down in the draft at some point. Big name free agent signing is unlikely especially seeing with all the tags the markets got raped. I always like to see the Packers do something big but im going into free agency and the draft thinking nothing big will happen... TT has proven that many times.

Burger
02-20-2009, 01:45 AM
He also proved the opposite. For starters, he got us a CB when we needed one badly.

Pack_Attack_4
02-20-2009, 06:48 AM
Do you guys think Justin Harrell will be a good DE in the 3-4 D.

TitleTown088
02-20-2009, 09:51 AM

Well, first of all. he's got to school the field.I think His skill set and size should make his pretty ideal for a 3-4 end if he can stay healthy.

PACKmanN
02-20-2009, 02:17 PM

I think he will be our best linemen, if we don't draft Raji. If we do then he will be our second :)

TitleTown088
02-21-2009, 01:46 PM
I think he will be our best linemen, if we don't draft Raji. If we do then he will be our second :)

Kind of difficult to be the best Lineman when you're on the sidelines.

cuzifelt1ikeit
02-21-2009, 02:17 PM
does anyone remember how we handled scouting aj hawk the year we drafted him? did we interview him alot or not at all? i think they will use a similiar strategy this year, if they differ year to year at all, since we hold a top 10 pick.

TitleTown088
02-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Ted Pretty much ignored him then drafted him.

On a different note I really hope wood is there in the second. Would be a nice pick.

Boston
02-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I remember Hawk saying he was completely surprised when the Packers drafted him.

princefielder28
02-21-2009, 02:36 PM
I know it's just a prospect saying what he needs to, but he's been a topic of discussion, so.....

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/40029187.html

TitleTown088
02-21-2009, 02:43 PM
I know it's just a prospect saying what he needs to, but he's been a topic of discussion, so.....

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/40029187.html
It probably dosen't hurt that the higher he's looked at the more money he stands to make.

Regardless, its nice to hear.

TitleTown088
02-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Apparently the Packers are reportedly going to heat up the contract negotiations with Jennings very soon. I would really like to see that deal get done as quickly as possible.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090220/PKR01/90220161/1058&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

Whistler6
02-21-2009, 05:01 PM
My Friday the 13th worst nightmare was that this contract negotiation turn into a TO-Philly or Boldin type situation. Thank God they are addressing it, and it couldn't be for a better guy. That makes it a whole lot easier when your not shelling out cash to a guy who's going to shoot a hole in his leg and skip mandatory meetings (Plax).

TitleTown088
02-21-2009, 11:40 PM
My Friday the 13th worst nightmare was that this contract negotiation turn into a TO-Philly or Boldin type situation. Thank God they are addressing it, and it couldn't be for a better guy. That makes it a whole lot easier when your not shelling out cash to a guy who's going to shoot a hole in his leg and skip mandatory meetings (Plax).
Yep.Greg Jennings is a good guy. He don't play like that.

Burger
02-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Yep.Greg Jennings is a good guy. He don't play like that.

I bet Greg takes a big hometown discount. Greg loves it in Green Bay and wont leave for a long time.

PACKmanN
02-22-2009, 03:08 AM
I bet Greg takes a big hometown discount. Greg loves it in Green Bay and wont leave for a long time.

you have to be reasonable. He won't, everything right now is ****** up in the world.

TitleTown088
02-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Did Atari Bigby ( the poster) leave?

Brown and Jenkins meet with Packers.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

GreenBayPackers
02-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Did Atari Bigby ( the poster) leave?

Brown and Jenkins meet with Packers.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

Dind't see that part lol? ... Why they meating?

TitleTown088
02-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Dind't see that part lol? ... Why they meating?

At the combine. The Packers meet with many players at the combine.

GreenBayPackers
02-24-2009, 08:01 PM
At the combine. The Packers meet with many players at the combine.

Ohhh I thought Cullen Jenkins ... I was like :confused: lool, wow hope we get jenkins his a stud.

Mr.Regular
02-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Locks for the top 8 that we're interested in seem to be Curry, Monroe, and Jason Smith...
so is it safe to say the players we'd consider if we stay at 9 would be Raji, Orakpo, Brown, and Jenkins? I can't see anyone else that fits the mold.

GB12
02-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Locks for the top 8 that we're interested in seem to be Curry, Monroe, and Jason Smith...
so is it safe to say the players we'd consider if we stay at 9 would be Raji, Orakpo, Brown, and Jenkins? I can't see anyone else that fits the mold.
Well Stafford and Crabtree will be picked ahead of us so that's all we need. That's 9 players, and we pick 9th. At least one of them will be there for us.

TitleTown088
02-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Well Stafford and Crabtree will be picked ahead of us so that's all we need. That's 9 players, and we pick 9th. At least one of them will be there for us.

I don't know that Staff is a lock to go before 9. I don't mean to imply its likely he'll fall, but think about how much guaranteed money that is for a QB that hasn't really been that great of prospect. For instance, I know If i were Detroit I'd look at putting that money for a less bustable position like a OT. I mean, look how much Ryan's contract was last year... It was more than Rodgers's deal ( after the extension) I believe.

Whistler6
02-24-2009, 09:39 PM
I listened to ESPN's 1st Draft Podcast with McShay and Kiper tonight.. They seem to be on complete opposite ends when it comes to Stafford. McShay is convinced the Lions should not draft Stafford. If somehow Stafford slips down, it would only help Green Bay get better value at #9. This is the perfect year to be picking where they are. They will have their choice of several quality, quality players or to trade back a bit too.

mqtirishfan
02-24-2009, 09:55 PM
I listened to ESPN's 1st Draft Podcast with McShay and Kiper tonight.. They seem to be on complete opposite ends when it comes to Stafford. McShay is convinced the Lions should not draft Stafford. If somehow Stafford slips down, it would only help Green Bay get better value at #9. This is the perfect year to be picking where they are. They will have their choice of several quality, quality players or to trade back a bit too.

Really? With the Packers out of the market for a QB, I see it working the other way. All the players Green Bay would rather have than Stafford would be taken.

Whistler6
02-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Really? With the Packers out of the market for a QB, I see it working the other way. All the players Green Bay would rather have than Stafford would be taken.

I guess you're right, but if the Lions pass then a team like KC, etc might jump on him or another team trade up.. I just see good value at #9. I don't know how to define value, but it's a good place to be picking from. Blah Blah Blah, good job Rich.

princefielder28
02-24-2009, 10:01 PM
If this is how the Top 8 went, who would you guys select???

1. Detroit :: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
2. St. Louis :: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
3. Kansas City :: Aaron Curry, ILB, Wake Forest
4. Seattle :: BJ Raji, DT, Boston College
5. Cleveland :: Everette Brown, OLB, Florida State
6. Cincinnati :: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
7. Oakland :: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
8. Jacksonville :: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

RockJock07
02-24-2009, 10:14 PM

I'd probably trade back and grab Rey Maualuga. I think if there is a big FA signing on defense then I may be inclined to take Oher at 9 if he's there.

TitleTown088
02-24-2009, 11:09 PM
I'd probably trade back and grab Rey Maualuga. I think if there is a big FA signing on defense then I may be inclined to take Oher at 9 if he's there.

I'd def look for a trade back there. I would absolutely not want rey thought. Maybe take a look at Barwin Maybin, or Matthews depending upon where the new position was. The problem with that is filing the DT depth. Maybe Scott later on would be an option for the DT position.

I'm really confused who i want as of now.

GB12
02-24-2009, 11:16 PM

Orakpo without thinking twice.

Out of all the players in the draft this is the order of who I'd want at 9:

1. Everette Brown
2. Jason Smith
3. Eugene Monroe
4. Brian Orakpo
5. BJ Raji
6. Aaron Curry
7. Malcom Jenkins
8. Michael Oher
9. Michael Crabtree

johbur
02-25-2009, 01:09 AM

I'd take Malcolm Jenkins, hence the sig... Even with the less than impressive 40, he'd still be a great value and he could do the CB/S thing and shore up the entire secondary. I'd be happy with Orakpo, too, but I still think Jenkins is the better value of the two. The Packers' secondary would be very strong with Jenkins on board.

TitleTown088
02-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Orakpo without thinking twice.

Out of all the players in the draft this is the order of who I'd want at 9:

1. Everette Brown
2. Jason Smith
3. Eugene Monroe
4. Brian Orakpo
5. BJ Raji
6. Aaron Curry
7. Malcom Jenkins
8. Michael Oher
9. Michael Crabtree

Ick. I would take Brown over maybe one of those prospects, maybe. Brown as the number one option at 9? No way.

RyanBraun8
02-25-2009, 02:56 PM
I see no point once so ever in drafting Jenkins, just dumb decison makin if they do. If they don't care about guys who can make an impact now and fit into a new scheme that they must retool for to be successful then fine good pick for the future. To bad we are not the lions and aren't building for the future but to win now. Al and Charles both can play at a high level and Williams is gettin pretty good not to forget lee is a year older and may stop up. Tackle, nose, Olb, de are what we need and I hope that's what we pick.

Picking Jenkins is as smart as picking wells or pettigrew, could we use them yeah kinda, do we need them... Noway not at all

umphrey
02-25-2009, 03:11 PM
I don't know why people say Jenkins is a good value at 9. We could get an average corner/good safety in him or try to get a Demarcus Ware/Terrell Suggs kind of impact lineman in Orakpo or Brown. I don't buy into where the draftniks have him ranked.

TitleTown088
02-25-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't know why people say Jenkins is a good value at 9. We could get an average corner/good safety in him or try to get a Demarcus Ware/Terrell Suggs kind of impact lineman in Orakpo or Brown. I don't buy into where the draftniks have him ranked.

Orakpo and and brown are not in the same class as suggs or ware. Not even close.

RyanBraun8
02-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Orakpo and and brown are not in the same class as suggs or ware. Not even close.

We don't know that yet, orakpo I think is a 43 DE but I'm pretty high on brown. Maybin I fell would be the best one but not at 9. I say take Raji and if he's not there then go get monroe/oher or trade down and get an extra 2nd. Not goin to lie to these class is pretty equal in talent. I mean after crabtree, curry,stafford you could trade down a bit and get about same value. Call me crazy but some of these guys can go 5 or fall to 15 or 20 like Jenkins a

TitleTown088
02-25-2009, 03:37 PM
We don't know that yet, orakpo I think is a 43 DE but I'm pretty high on brown. M

No, that's why its an opinion.

cuzifelt1ikeit
02-25-2009, 04:03 PM
We don't know that yet, orakpo I think is a 43 DE but I'm pretty high on brown. Maybin I fell would be the best one but not at 9. I say take Raji and if he's not there then go get monroe/oher or trade down and get an extra 2nd. Not goin to lie to these class is pretty equal in talent. I mean after crabtree, curry,stafford you could trade down a bit and get about same value. Call me crazy but some of these guys can go 5 or fall to 15 or 20 like Jenkins a

if you think maybin is the best one, why not take him at 9? that doesnt make much sense. i like neither orakpo or brown. so skip on both. id rather trade down at this point.

jackalope
02-25-2009, 04:20 PM

Orakpo. I think we need to take an OLB (Brown or Orakpo). I don't see a position outside of OLB or NT that warrants the #9 pick. We could take a LT, but I would rather move Colledge there than spend the 9th pick.

RyanBraun8
02-25-2009, 04:44 PM
i don't like Maybin at 9 because i think we can trade down and get him in the mid 1st.

And i'll explain what i was talking about earlier about how close these prospects are. This draft is all drafting what your team needs over top available because if you look outside of Curry Crabtree Stafford Raji and Jenkins, every position is a really close race right now for the top spot.

Offensive Tackles: Now Jason Smith is the front runner but it is still close and all depends on teams opinion on who is the top one. Eighter all 4 could in the top 10 or 1 or 2 may fall between 10-20. Its in the air.

OLB's
okay it depends if your looking for 34 or 43 OLB. That considerably changes ratings then look at the guys.

1st Aaron Curry blows the rest away
2nd you have to figure out if teams want Everette Brown, Brian Orakpo, Aaron Maybin as a DE or a OLB not to forget Larry English, Robert Ayers, and Conner Baldwin
3. Then the guys who are 43 and maybe can play 34 OLB's Brian Crushing, Clint Sintim, Clay Matthews

Its hard to rank these guys because there are a lot of questions of who can play where and in what scheme. That could cause these guys to drop futher or maybe rise. So you may be able to get Brown at 9 or maybe at 15,16,17

Everything is so close, then you have Rey Rey who could go eighter Top 10 or down to Top 25. The WR's after Crabree are real tight.

Thats why you take Raji or trade down to 15 or so, pick up extra second, and you will still be able to land someone you wanted at 9. Brown, Maybin, Jenkins, Rey Rey maybe one of the OT's (A. Smith if your not scared to take a chance) all could be staring you in the face and you have and extra mid 2nd round pick to snag another big need.

TitleTown088
02-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Orakpo. I think we need to take an OLB (Brown or Orakpo). I don't see a position outside of OLB or NT that warrants the #9 pick. We could take a LT, but I would rather move Colledge there than spend the 9th pick.

Then who plays LG...? The oline is in need of some solid youth personel, especially at the tackle position.

jackalope
02-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Then who plays LG...? The oline is in need of some solid youth personel, especially at the tackle position.

It sounded like Sitton was ready to take over one of the guard spots last preseason. That would probably give us a future line of

Colledge-Spitz-Wells-Sitton-Giacomini(?)

We have the players to fill all the spots adequately. The problem is, none of them are dominant.

RyanBraun8
02-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Now if we traded down, are all you against taking A. Smith if he is still on the board? I know he has been a dumb and immature but can't over look the film and his ability. Needs to work on attitude but if we trade down to 14-17 I think he is great worth, and if Oher is there to.

So our draft could Look like:
1.(15) OT A. Smith OR M. Oher
2(9) OLB C. Sitim OR C. Matthews
2.(15) NT R. Brace OR DE J. Gilbert

Does anyone nomore about Sammie Lee Hill? Small school good production, NT size could he be a good late round guy

RyanBraun8
02-25-2009, 05:15 PM

We have the players to fill all the spots adequately. The problem is, none of them are dominant.

1-4 look okay and maybe Barbre can step up in at guard also(I like his upside) but your right we are going to need a guy that can be dominant. I guess coaches are high on Giacomini but I'd prefer a more dominate guy or at least see him play a bit more.

princefielder28
02-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Now if we traded down, are all you against taking A. Smith if he is still on the board? I know he has been a dumb and immature but can't over look the film and his ability. Needs to work on attitude but if we trade down to 14-17 I think he is great worth, and if Oher is there to.

So our draft could Look like:
1.(15) OT A. Smith OR M. Oher
2(9) OLB C. Sitim OR C. Matthews
2.(15) NT R. Brace OR DE J. Gilbert

Does anyone nomore about Sammie Lee Hill? Small school good production, NT size could he be a good late round guy

First off, a big time no on Andre Smith. He is too up and down mentally to bring in and try to straighten out.

Sammie Lee Hill, IMO, is the 3rd best NT prospect in the draft. At this point he would probably need to be selected with the Packers' 4th round pick, but he wouldn't be ready to contribute for a year or two.

GB12
02-25-2009, 07:34 PM
It sounded like Sitton was ready to take over one of the guard spots last preseason. That would probably give us a future line of

I agree with what you are saying. We have a lot of young players on the offensive line and we could use more time to evaluate them yet. I wouldn't draft more than one offensive lineman this year. We have Clifton, Tauscher (probably), Wells, Colledge, Spitz, Sitton, Barbre, Giacomini, and Moll. That's 9 linemen on the roster already. We could add one more to go to 10 if we need to, but we won't go over that. So then you have to start thinking, is this guy going to beat Moll out for a roster spot? The answer is likely no, so unless it's a 7th rounder that you think can pass to the practice squad taking more than one lineman isn't a good idea. If Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe were to be there I think we'd have to give them some serious consideration. I think Colledge can be an NFL left tackle, and probably an even better tackle than guard, but a chance to get that kind of talent in an offensive lineman doesn't come around often. I'd pass on Andre Smith and Oher though. I think Wells, Colledge, Spitz, and Sitton all have spots on our offensive line. That only leaves one spot. Between Barbre and Giacomini we have two potential players for the last spot on the team already. I've written off Moll as a starter, but he is a backup worth keeping around.

Offensive line is one of our biggest needs, but the need could be filled with players on the roster. We just don't know for sure what we have at the moment. It looks like Smith and Monroe will be out of reach, so all I would do to the offensive line in the draft would be a 3rd or 4th rounder. Assuming we resign Tauscher we'll be returning all 5 starters from last year. While that line could certainly be upgraded, it's something we can make do with for another season. Hold of off the offensive line this year and find out more about the young players we have. If we discover that they haven't progressed to an acceptable level then we can cover that next offseason. Commit this year to defense and specifically the front 7.

cuzifelt1ikeit
02-25-2009, 09:04 PM
i don't like Maybin at 9 because i think we can trade down and get him in the mid 1st.

And i'll explain what i was talking about earlier about how close these prospects are. This draft is all drafting what your team needs over top available because if you look outside of Curry Crabtree Stafford Raji and Jenkins, every position is a really close race right now for the top spot.

Offensive Tackles: Now Jason Smith is the front runner but it is still close and all depends on teams opinion on who is the top one. Eighter all 4 could in the top 10 or 1 or 2 may fall between 10-20. Its in the air.

OLB's
okay it depends if your looking for 34 or 43 OLB. That considerably changes ratings then look at the guys.

1st Aaron Curry blows the rest away
2nd you have to figure out if teams want Everette Brown, Brian Orakpo, Aaron Maybin as a DE or a OLB not to forget Larry English, Robert Ayers, and Conner Baldwin
3. Then the guys who are 43 and maybe can play 34 OLB's Brian Crushing, Clint Sintim, Clay Matthews

Its hard to rank these guys because there are a lot of questions of who can play where and in what scheme. That could cause these guys to drop futher or maybe rise. So you may be able to get Brown at 9 or maybe at 15,16,17

Everything is so close, then you have Rey Rey who could go eighter Top 10 or down to Top 25. The WR's after Crabree are real tight.

Thats why you take Raji or trade down to 15 or so, pick up extra second, and you will still be able to land someone you wanted at 9. Brown, Maybin, Jenkins, Rey Rey maybe one of the OT's (A. Smith if your not scared to take a chance) all could be staring you in the face and you have and extra mid 2nd round pick to snag another big need.

i understand all that but by trading back you risk someone else picking him ahead of you. sure you can kind of ballpark it but people make surprising picks all the time (justin harrell), people make reaches all the time too (justin harrell , again?) haha. i dont know i just think if you really think so highly or a prospect you pick him when you can get him. not trade back and hope hes there then, its definitly rolling the dice.

i can understand where youre coming from though. i like clay matthews the best and i wouldnt pick him at number 9. but i dont know if he will be the best in the long run, the others definitly have a higher ceiling it seems like, but clay has had experience in running the 3-4 and playing the rush backer spot. so you know what youre getting with him. he has size speed and tape to back him up. where guys like brown and orakpo dont have tape or experience in the 3-4. correct me if im wrong but you could go horribly wrong by picking either or and they bust completely in the 3-4 olb spot and youre stuck with a 4-3 DE on your hands. its just not something i want to get involved in.

i read somewhere on here i think that lawrence sidbury can bulk up and play 3-4 end? anyone know anything about that or is someone just dreaming

GB12
02-25-2009, 09:07 PM
where guys like brown and orakpo dont have tape or experience in the 3-4. correct me if im wrong but you could go horribly wrong by picking either or and they bust completely in the 3-4 olb spot and youre stuck with a 4-3 DE on your hands. its just not something i want to get involved in.
Well you are pretty wrong. I posted this earlier, but every single starting 3-4 OLB in the NFL was a DE in college.
i read somewhere on here i think that lawrence sidbury can bulk up and play 3-4 end? anyone know anything about that or is someone just dreaming
Why the heck would anyone make him into a 3-4 end? Sidbury is made to be a 3-4 OLB.

And no, even if for some reason he tried to become a 3-4 DE I don't think he could. I even doubt him as a starting 4-3 DE. 3-4 OLB, or situational 4-3 end.

cuzifelt1ikeit
02-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Why the heck would anyone make him into a 3-4 end? Sidbury is made to be a 3-4 OLB.

And no, even if for some reason he tried to become a 3-4 DE I don't think he could. I even doubt him as a starting 4-3 DE. 3-4 OLB, or situational 4-3 end.

alot of people do like him becaue of his speed, athleticism and freakish long arms. it didnt really seem right to me but i just skipped reading up on him and decided to ask instead

Whistler6
02-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Kameron Wimbley ahh, Manny Lawson ish, DeMarcus Ware ooo ahhhh, Brian Orakpo hmm, Everette Brown umm? ...

I don't know which way Green Bay goes, but it's really hit or miss with 3-4 OLB. If Green Bay drafts one of these guys, they could be great, or flop Gholston style. I dont knowwwwwww

TitleTown088
02-25-2009, 10:36 PM
I agree with what you are saying. We have a lot of young players on the offensive line and we could use more time to evaluate them yet. I wouldn't draft more than one offensive lineman this year. We have Clifton, Tauscher (probably), Wells, Colledge, Spitz, Sitton, Barbre, Giacomini, and Moll. That's 9 linemen on the roster already. We could add one more to go to 10 if we need to, but we won't go over that. So then you have to start thinking, is this guy going to beat Moll out for a roster spot? The answer is likely no, so unless it's a 7th rounder that you think can pass to the practice squad taking more than one lineman isn't a good idea. If Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe were to be there I think we'd have to give them some serious consideration. I think Colledge can be an NFL left tackle, and probably an even better tackle than guard, but a chance to get that kind of talent in an offensive lineman doesn't come around often. I'd pass on Andre Smith and Oher though. I think Wells, Colledge, Spitz, and Sitton all have spots on our offensive line. That only leaves one spot. Between Barbre and Giacomini we have two potential players for the last spot on the team already. I've written off Moll as a starter, but he is a backup worth keeping around.

Offensive line is one of our biggest needs, but the need could be filled with players on the roster. We just don't know for sure what we have at the moment. It looks like Smith and Monroe will be out of reach, so all I would do to the offensive line in the draft would be a 3rd or 4th rounder. Assuming we resign Tauscher we'll be returning all 5 starters from last year. While that line could certainly be upgraded, it's something we can make do with for another season. Hold of off the offensive line this year and find out more about the young players we have. If we discover that they haven't progressed to an acceptable level then we can cover that next offseason. Commit this year to defense and specifically the front 7.
-Clifton is declining quite a bit based upon the end of last season.
- Even if taush does come back he's coming off an ACL tear and a down year
Not to mention the packers have shown no serious interest in bringing him back so far...
-Wells is an average starter.
-Spitz, Ibid
-Colledge is great. Aside from Rodgers and Jennings he's the packers most promising up and coming player.
- Sitton has proved nothing but a sprained knee so far.
- Breno is raw as hell. Although, he is " coming along" according to the coaches.
-Barbe has all the talent in the world but has not looked well in limited playing time.
- Tony moll is terrible. Hopefully he will not be on the roster next season.

If the oline need is solely filled with the roster were stuck with a couple of chumps a couple average guys for back ups and no truly promising young talent to replace cliffy and Taush aside from Colledge. I'm not advocating cutting the roster down immensely, that would be insane. but if we want a dominant Oline for the future some fat has to be trimmed. Moll and Barbre are totally expendable. Neither have shown anything worthy of guaranteeing them a spot next season. If the opportunity to upgrade the line presents itself something needs to be done. I'm not ready to settle for average Oline play, that's not how you win championships.

Personally, I want a denver-esk line built. If safety depth were addressed in FA and taush not resigned, I'd be 100% OK will using every pick aside from some pass rushing in the trenches( O and D).

PACKmanN
02-25-2009, 10:39 PM
I think this o-line needs some vets who have played in a ZBS to develop some of the young guys. Coaches can go as far but imo, a player who has been in a situation that one of our young guys need help on can benefit us. I like the young talent we have(Colledge, Spitz, Barbre, Geno, and Sitton) we can add some vets in there to help us out.

GB12
02-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Exactly, a bunch of unproven players. They should get a chance to prove themselves before we overhaul the line. If we bring in multiple OL in the draft then we're going to have to cut some of the guys that we're drafted for the same thing. We'd be bringing in more developmental players that are further behind in their development. Like I said a high talent player like Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe would be great, but adding more midround picks won't help us much. The first round, probably second and at least one third need to go to rebuilding the defense. The players that will be available after that aren't going to be an upgrade over what we already have. Wait it out a year, see how those players develop, and then if needed address the offensive line next offseason.

TitleTown088
02-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Like I said a high talent player like Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe would be great, but adding more midround picks won't help us much.
Then we're in agreement, but I'd be inclided to take a look at a guard in the 2nd if one would drop... Wood would also be a consideration for me if he were available too.

I think this o-line needs some vets who have played in a ZBS to develop some of the young guys. Coaches can go as far but imo, a player who has been in a situation that one of our young guys need help on can benefit us. I like the young talent we have(Colledge, Spitz, Barbre, Geno, and Sitton) we can add some vets in there to help us out.

I think we're past the point were we need vets to start, guys have been developing for awhile now. Not to mention that with teams switching to zone blocking a good vet would be expensive and hard to find. If a vet were there for the price I'd say yeah, but I wouldn't overspend. But who...?

GB12
02-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Then we're in agreement, but I'd be inclided to take a look at a guard in the 2nd if one would drop... Wood would also be a consideration for me if he were available too.
Yeah, one guy in the second or third I would be ok with. Adding multiple guys in mid to late rounds would be a mistake. I'm still a big fan of Duke Robinson and for some reason he seems to be projected in the high second now. Depending on the defensive talent available he's someone I'd love to have.

PackerLegend
02-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Well tomorrow night is the big night for Teddy. Does he change his ways and sign people or does he do virtually nothing like always? Yea yea Woodson, Pickett, Chillar but Mark Roman, Marqaund Manuel, Auturo Freeman, Ben Taylor i cant even remember all the other cheap and crappy people. P.S. I support Ted and understand spending isnt always the best so im not bashing.

LonghornsLegend
02-26-2009, 12:11 AM
but clay has had experience in running the 3-4 and playing the rush backer spot. so you know what youre getting with him. he has size speed and tape to back him up. where guys like brown and orakpo dont have tape or experience in the 3-4.

Because Orakpo played well in both the 4-3 and 3-4 schemes during his college career and because his numbers improved each year despite a variety of roles, he sees himself as a player who can pay immediate dividends.

"Right end, left end, 'Sam,' 'Will' [weakside linebacker], 'Mike' [middle linebacker] - 3-4 or 4-3 - it's doesn't matter," he said. "I'm not a guy who they have to project and or say has the potential to play the 4-3 or 3-4 - I've played in both. I've done it."
http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/22/redskins-keen-on-orakpo/

Orakpo has plenty of experience and film playing in a 3-4, Muschamp doesn't run a base 4-3 he runs a hybrid similiar to Baltimore and Orakpo was all over the place...I can't speak for sure on Brown and you may be right on that front but that would be completely false for Orakpo.

It's so easy to say that about Ware now when he just racked up 20 sacks, but how quickly everyone forgets he was this little unknown prospect from Troy and lacked any decent film against decent competition while Orakpo has film of him playing multiple defenses vs much better competition and their combine numbers were almost identical:

Demarcus Ware:
6'4 245
38 inch vertical
4.65 40 yd dash
Bench Press reps: 27

Brian Orakpo:
6'4 263
39.5 Vertical
4.70 40 yard dash
Bench Press reps: 31

Yet Orakpo is the guy coming out with all the hardware, not coming from a little un-known school, and had more production his final year coming out then Ware did...So now, how is Orakpo not even close to what Ware is? I'd love to hear honestly, Ware is changing people's perception on him since his dominance but he wasn't some Mario Williams prospect that cannot be duplicated, he had size, strength, and competition issues coming out none of which Orakpo has.

TitleTown088
02-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Well tomorrow night is the big night for Teddy. Does he change his ways and sign people or does he do virtually nothing like always? Yea yea Woodson, Pickett, Chillar but Mark Roman, Marqaund Manuel, Auturo Freeman, Ben Taylor i cant even remember all the other cheap and crappy people. P.S. I support Ted and understand spending isnt always the best so im not bashing.

Has ted every been active at the very beginning of free agency...?

TitleTown088
02-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Well Free agency starts soon...
Even though we all know Ted isn't going to to go nuts the first day, let's get some last second predictions here.

I'll say.. Igor.

cuzifelt1ikeit
02-26-2009, 12:29 PM
http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/22/redskins-keen-on-orakpo/

Orakpo has plenty of experience and film playing in a 3-4, Muschamp doesn't run a base 4-3 he runs a hybrid similiar to Baltimore and Orakpo was all over the place...I can't speak for sure on Brown and you may be right on that front but that would be completely false for Orakpo.

It's so easy to say that about Ware now when he just racked up 20 sacks, but how quickly everyone forgets he was this little unknown prospect from Troy and lacked any decent film against decent competition while Orakpo has film of him playing multiple defenses vs much better competition and their combine numbers were almost identical:

Demarcus Ware:
6'4 245
38 inch vertical
4.65 40 yd dash
Bench Press reps: 27

Brian Orakpo:
6'4 263
39.5 Vertical
4.70 40 yard dash
Bench Press reps: 31

Yet Orakpo is the guy coming out with all the hardware, not coming from a little un-known school, and had more production his final year coming out then Ware did...So now, how is Orakpo not even close to what Ware is? I'd love to hear honestly, Ware is changing people's perception on him since his dominance but he wasn't some Mario Williams prospect that cannot be duplicated, he had size, strength, and competition issues coming out none of which Orakpo has.

interesting article.. i will admit defeat then. jury's still out on brown though. orakpo is by far superior to brown though. if i have to take one id take orakpo. but hopefully we will end up with neither

mqtirishfan
02-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Never going to happen, but I want to see Jason Brown and Chris Canty in FA.

cuzifelt1ikeit
02-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Never going to happen, but I want to see Jason Brown and Chris Canty in FA.

why jason brown? i wouldnt mind chris canty however. proven 3-4 end

mqtirishfan
02-26-2009, 12:40 PM
why jason brown? i wouldnt mind chris canty however. proven 3-4 end

I love Jason Brown, and I think he would improve our interior line. Ideally, I'd still love for Colledge to be our LT, even if it's unlikely.

princefielder28
02-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Well Free agency starts soon...
Even though we all know Ted isn't going to to go nuts the first day, let's get some last second predictions here.

I'll say.. Igor.

Igor has questionable work ethic, not a chance TT signs him.

TitleTown088
02-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Igor has questionable work ethic, not a chance TT signs him.

Just like he wouldn't spend a draft pick on someone with questionable work ethic(Wynn)?

princefielder28
02-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Just like he wouldn't spend a draft pick on someone with questionable work ethic(Wynn)?

Wynn was a 7th round selection, very little risk and a high reward choice. Igor will be a much higher financial obligation and for a guy, TT, who doesn't throw money around, I don't see him throwing money at a guy who may not work up to that paycheck.

TitleTown088
02-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Wynn was a 7th round selection, very little risk and a high reward choice. Igor will be a much higher financial obligation and for a guy who doesn't throw money around, I don't see him throwing money at a guy who may not work up to that paycheck.

I realize that, and I agree Igor isn't likely, but I need to make some bold prediction in case it turns out and I look like a genius.

princefielder28
02-26-2009, 01:16 PM
One player I see TT bringing in is safety Michael Boulware. Someone he drafted, started with a promising career, but has been a roller coaster ride since.

TitleTown088
02-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Ruvell Martin, safety Jarrett Bush, fullback John Kuhn and outside linebacker Jason Hunter tendered.

Smokey
02-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Fellas,

Representing the Pack in the Group Mock. The draft so far:

1 Detroit - Matthew Stafford, QB Georgia
2 St Louis - Jason Smith, OT Baylor
3 Kansas City - Aaron Curry, LB Wake Forrest
4 Seattle - Michael Crabtree, WR Texas Tech
5 Cleveland - Everette Brown, DE/OLB Florida State
6. Cincinnatti Bengals - Eugene Monroe OT - Virginia
7. Oakland Raiders - BJ Raji DT - BC

Any thoughts considering the above on where we go at 9?

PACKmanN
02-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Fellas,

Representing the Pack in the Group Mock. The draft so far:

1 Detroit - Matthew Stafford, QB Georgia
2 St Louis - Jason Smith, OT Baylor
3 Kansas City - Aaron Curry, LB Wake Forrest
4 Seattle - Michael Crabtree, WR Texas Tech
5 Cleveland - Everette Brown, DE/OLB Florida State
6. Cincinnatti Bengals - Eugene Monroe OT - Virginia
7. Oakland Raiders - BJ Raji DT - BC

Any thoughts considering the above on where we go at 9?
A trade down if you can or Jenkins and the man below in the 2nd :)

Smokey
02-26-2009, 04:01 PM
A trade down if you can or Jenkins and the man below in the 2nd :)

Have the word out on a trade down but was already rebuffed by Philly.

Was leaning toward Jenkins but was also wondering as to Andre Smith. Yes, there are certainly question marks but he certainly has the potential to be a star tackle for years to come.

Wallzy
02-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Probably grab Orakpo or Maybin, but would be ok w/ Oher.

Don't really know how this draft works but...trade down w/ the Saints (for their 1st and 2nd) in the hopes that Orakpo/Maybin/Oher drops, if they get taken then I might be on board w/ andre smith as a RT prospect...if jenkins, oher, orakpo, maybin, and smith go (more than plausible in that order), then you'd look at Tyson Jackson, Cushing, or Britton.

PACKmanN
02-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Have the word out on a trade down but was already rebuffed by Philly.

Was leaning toward Jenkins but was also wondering as to Andre Smith. Yes, there are certainly question marks but he certainly has the potential to be a star tackle for years to come.

well is it suppose to be realistic or just a fantasy thing? but Jenkins>Smith.

PACKmanN
02-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Bigby has received a 2nd round tender
Kuhn and Bush received the 1.01 million tender

end Jason Hunter, tight end Tory Humphrey and receiver Ruvell Martin are remaining. Bodiford will not be tendered and Tory might not as well.

TitleTown088
02-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Bigby has received a 2nd round tender
Kuhn and Bush received the 1.01 million tender

end Jason Hunter, tight end Tory Humphrey and receiver Ruvell Martin are remaining. Bodiford will not be tendered and Tory might not as well.

ahem. Ruvell Martin, safety Jarrett Bush, fullback John Kuhn and outside linebacker Jason Hunter tendered.

Say goodbye To Ruvell.

Smokey
02-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Worked out a trade down in the group mock. Was hoping to get in the 15 -20 range and pick up another second but here's the best I could do:

Green Bay trades Round 1 (9) & Round 7 (201) to Denver for Round 1 (12) Round 4 (110) & Round 6 (172)

PACKmanN
02-26-2009, 07:18 PM
nice, what was that Denver fan thinking, there no value for them at 8 unless he takes Orakpo. Now you can take Jenkins/English/Cushing or even trade back even more.

Smokey
02-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Jenkins has been taken & Denver took Orakpo. Tampa is looking to trade 19 so I might be able to trade back from 12 and pick up his 2nd.

PACKmanN
02-26-2009, 07:22 PM
do it, there are so much options at OLB.

Smokey
02-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Waiting for him to pull the trigger. I'm hoping Tyson Jackson will be there at 19.

Smokey
02-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Further update and have yet to make a pick.

Green Bay trades 12 & 172 to Tampa Bay for 19 & 50.

So we've got 19, two 2nds, two 3rds, and two 4ths to help flush out this 3-4.

Might trade back into the late first with some of this ammo if someone appealing falls.

PackerLegend
02-26-2009, 07:42 PM
ahem.

Say goodbye To Ruvell.

I want to say goodbye to Bush 2 years to late. Ruvell your right is probably gone which sucks!

princefielder28
02-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Further update and have yet to make a pick.

Green Bay trades 12 & 172 to Tampa Bay for 19 & 50.

So we've got 19, two 2nds, two 3rds, and two 4ths to help flush out this 3-4.

Might trade back into the late first with some of this ammo if someone appealing falls.

Why continue to trade back? I know it's fun to have the picks in the world during a mock, but in reality you want quality over quantity and on a roster like Green Bay's, where there's already plenty of quantity, it would be more wise to focus on adding qaulity players.

Smokey
02-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Why continue to trade back? I know it's fun to have the picks in the world during a mock, but in reality you want quality over quantity and on a roster like Green Bay's, where there's already plenty of quantity, it would be more wise to focus on adding qaulity players.

This is as far back as I'm going. I think the OLBs (English Johnson, Barwin, matthews))available in round 2 aren't that far behind those in round 1. And we can pick up an OT in round 2 as well that can develop for a year (Kropog, Loadholt).

If we can get a DE, OLB, & OT in the first two rounds I can use the next 4 (2 in 3, 2 in 4), on a developmental CB, TE, NT, maybe a RB. Beyond that maybe the best available punter and then BPA.

I'm hoping Jackson will be there at 19 but if not then perhaps I'll go early on the OLB (Cushing) or the OT (Britton or Beatty). An oversized DE or undersized DT can then be grabbed in round 2 for the end opposite Jenkins.

Yatta!
02-26-2009, 08:48 PM
I wish Jarrett Bush would **** off. Martin is a gazillion times better than him.

greenbaysurf
02-26-2009, 09:10 PM
I have a problem with trading down. 1st we only fell out of the playoffs because our defense fell apart(i mean favre wasn't there). we can be right back in it this year if we win a couple of those close ones we lost last year. we also have the oppertunity to grab a imediate impact player while being a quality team. I haven't see other perinial playoff teams picking in the top ten of a strong draft. and 2nd there are quality guys to build lines that are not tony party mandrach, and atractive playmakers on defense in later rounds. Start sure early in the draft, and grab some giants out there. Size and Speed kill, we can teach awarness and technike. must have guys are mathews, usc safty, travis becham(home town hero, always need one), big ot, kick returner

PACKmanN
02-26-2009, 09:17 PM
I wish Jarrett Bush would **** off. Martin is a gazillion times better than him.

hopefully the secondary coach we got while Bush was in College can help him. He has talent but he needs to stop screwing up so much.

greenbaysurf
02-26-2009, 09:26 PM
i am so glad there is a chance to see jared bush go. he has been a no good waste of space the last two years. i think i saw frank walker in the superbowl playing dime corner or something. we got him as a FA and let him go for bush? TT just can't let go of his picks. o well

TitleTown088
02-26-2009, 09:51 PM

You can't pay a 5h wr that much money. Its more than Jennings or Jones makes.

jackalope
02-26-2009, 10:23 PM
I love Ruvy, but he deserves the chance to go somewhere where he can get more time. I wouldn't be surprised to see him compete for a starting job somewhere. He's probably as good as anyone on the Bears' roster.

Yatta!
02-27-2009, 06:14 AM
You can't pay a 5h wr that much money. Its more than Jennings or Jones makes.

I agree but Bush is also not worth that money. I would be trying to get Martin signed to a longer deal or at least tender him so that we'd get something in return for him, there are plenty of teams who would be interested.

PACKmanN
02-27-2009, 07:52 AM
i am so glad there is a chance to see jared bush go. he has been a no good waste of space the last two years. i think i saw frank walker in the superbowl playing dime corner or something. we got him as a FA and let him go for bush? TT just can't let go of his picks. o well

lol, did you just make up that post to bash TT?

cuzifelt1ikeit
02-27-2009, 10:09 AM
This is as far back as I'm going. I think the OLBs (English Johnson, Barwin, matthews))available in round 2 aren't that far behind those in round 1. And we can pick up an OT in round 2 as well that can develop for a year (Kropog, Loadholt).

If we can get a DE, OLB, & OT in the first two rounds I can use the next 4 (2 in 3, 2 in 4), on a developmental CB, TE, NT, maybe a RB. Beyond that maybe the best available punter and then BPA.

I'm hoping Jackson will be there at 19 but if not then perhaps I'll go early on the OLB (Cushing) or the OT (Britton or Beatty). An oversized DE or undersized DT can then be grabbed in round 2 for the end opposite Jenkins.

cushing will play inside in a 3-4 i thought

Smokey
02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
He played ILB, OLB, & DE at USC and is projected to be able to play any of the LB spots in a 4-3 or 3-4 - best suited as a SLb or 3-4 OLB. His combine numbers were very good. Scott Wright, however, doesn't seem too high on him.

greenbaysurf
02-27-2009, 10:28 AM
I really did see frank walker in the bowl. maybe for pitt. or the champ for balt. i forget. but i can't tell you how badly we need an impact player at 9. we should draft baji if they really think he can play. if hes not the next warren sapp then we should go ot. second and third round we get the tyson jackson type guys and the english or definatly can't miss on mathews. we need a playmaking saftey to make our d backfeild the best in the leage.

I think ian johnson would be a good pick in later rounds and so would travis becham. Ian is a great player for the city of GB. and travis becham is from Mil and that would be a great extra thing to the season. we make the playoffs this year and compete for a bowl next. come on capers lets make the city historic agian

PACKmanN
02-27-2009, 10:33 AM
I really did see frank walker in the bowl. maybe for pitt. or the champ for balt. i forget. but i can't tell you how badly we need an impact player at 9. we should draft baji if they really think he can play. if hes not the next warren sapp then we should go ot. second and third round we get the tyson jackson type guys and the english or definatly can't miss on mathews. we need a playmaking saftey to make our d backfeild the best in the leage.

I think ian johnson would be a good pick in later rounds and so would travis becham. Ian is a great player for the city of GB. and travis becham is from Mil and that would be a great extra thing to the season. we make the playoffs this year and compete for a bowl next. come on capers lets make the city historic agian

Frank Walker was playing for the Ravens and had a below average season. Bush was never drafted by TT, he was taken from the Panthers pratice squad.

- Our playmaking saftey is Collins
- Raji would be our Wilfork, we have no need for a Sapp type in the middle, even though it would be nice if he can get those sack numbers
- Harrell>Jackson. Tyson is getting so much hype for doing not much. English isn't someone I would take over Raji or Brown.

greenbaysurf
02-27-2009, 10:39 AM
i woud love raji. maybin , mathews, jenkins, michel johnson, orakpo, just not brown.

ImBrotherCain
02-27-2009, 10:44 AM
i woud love raji. maybin , mathews, jenkins, michel johnson, orakpo, just not brown.

See i personally think that Maybin is over rated...

I honestly see TT going OT in the first. I hope i am wrong seeing as the OT class is deep this year.

We could really use defensive help as you all know

greenbaysurf
02-27-2009, 10:51 AM
going ot or jenkins at nine is alright with me only if the next pick will be immidiate impact defensivly. and there are some targets in the 2nd that can be immidiate impact players. hope tt trys to get canty although it doesn't look good. that would help alot to have a provent three foour end in there.

Whistler6
02-27-2009, 12:02 PM
So I think it's quite obvious Ted won't overspend on overrated or aging players hit free agency.. I think he waits until later on in the summer when cuts happen. That or I think using one of Green Bay's 3rd rounders and a couple others to try and trade for a Tony Gonzalez, maybe even Shaun Rogers who wants out of Cleveland. That would be best scenario in my opinion. Although you never really know when Rogers will want to show up and play or not

Smokey
02-27-2009, 12:59 PM
So I think it's quite obvious Ted won't overspend on overrated or aging players hit free agency.. I think he waits until later on in the summer when cuts happen. That or I think using one of Green Bay's 3rd rounders and a couple others to try and trade for a Tony Gonzalez, maybe even Shaun Rogers who wants out of Cleveland. That would be best scenario in my opinion. Although you never really know when Rogers will want to show up and play or not

Don't know that KC will give up Gonzalez for a 3rd. TT offered that last year and was rebuffed. For what he would do for our offense I think he's well worth a 2nd.

Shaun Rogers I don't think will be moved. His vocalization on this brands him as a bit of a selfish player anyway.

I'd love to make a run at Jim Leonard as a starter and Igor Olshansky and Kevin Burnett as potential starters or backups.

mqtirishfan
02-27-2009, 03:20 PM
My dream would be:

1) Brian Orakpo
2) Jarron Gilbert
3) Best DT available.

TitleTown088
02-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Apparently Packers are interested in Canty and have contacted his agent.

princefielder28
02-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Great news! Let's see if it goes anywhere.

PACKmanN
02-27-2009, 04:15 PM

nnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooo, save the money for Jason Taylor!

TitleTown088
02-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Great news! Let's see if it goes anywhere.

haha, probably not.

GB12
02-27-2009, 04:19 PM
That'd be incredibly stupid. Canty would be a much better signing. Out of all the free agents that actually hit the market Canty is the best player for us.

PACKmanN
02-27-2009, 04:21 PM
That'd be incredibly stupid. Canty would be a much better signing. Out of all the free agents that actually hit the market Canty is the best player for us.
Canty is going to get 50-60 million. A 3-4 DE shouldn't make that much.

TitleTown088
02-27-2009, 04:39 PM

Jason taylor is old as hell and played in like 3 games last season. Canty would be a much better signing.

umphrey
02-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Canty is going to get 50-60 million. A 3-4 DE shouldn't make that much.

I doubt it. Probably 5 years 40 mil, and you have to consider that payroll has gone up considerably the last few years. Every year there is a new highest paid player in the league.

SALARY CAP - MOST
Tampa Bay — $61 million
Kansas City — $57 million
Philadelphia — $48 million
Denver — $37 million
Green Bay — $34 million

We are the only team on that list to not sign anyone. We haven't even written extensions since long before the end of the season outside of small RFA tenders. I'd be happy if we just extended Jennings and signed a middle tier FA like C.C. Brown.