PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84

johbur
04-27-2009, 01:39 AM
“I think Ryan Pickett can go out and play end,” McCarthy said when asked about the position in general. “You forget about his foot quickness and his agility. He may not look like the most prototype 3-4 defensive end, but that’s definitely a position we will talk to Ryan (about) when he gets back from vacation.” -jsonline

I hadn't seen that prior. I was thinking of Pickett and Raji being the interior of the defense on short yardage and goal line, but if Pickett can show anything as a 3-4 end, that'd be awesome. Pickett-Raji-Jenkins not only could be very good on the run game (and the LBs behind Pickett-Raji are not going to be touched much) but Raji and Jenkins are pass rush threats if the offense starts messing around with their protection schemes to try and stop the OLBs of Kampman and Matthews.

I'd be a whole lot happier with Pickett at DE than Harrell, and I don't know what Jolly's legal issue is going to end up like.

Wallzy
04-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Rumor has it that Packers have signed UFA Willie Williams - LB (Union College). Williams was regarded by many as one of the few players that, based on physical ability, could have jumped straight from high school to the NFL. His recruiting stories are legendary with rumours of bribes, various illegal antics during the visits, and agent-types supposedly interjecting. This guy's upside is tremendous and I love the fact that the Packers are going out on a limb and taking a chance on the guy. He claims he is committed to turning his life around, and who knows how honest he is, but the risk/reward here is well worth it in my opinion. I think we have the type of locker room and veteran leaders that could create a positive environment for this guy to succeed. Don't expect anything this year, but I will definitely be interested in progress reports from camp.

Wallzy
04-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Maybe not...same source that said we signed Williams is back tracking now saying we haven't sealed an agreement. Man, I'd love to take a shot at this guy but I guess we are having second thoughts.

Smokey
04-27-2009, 01:05 PM
All newly drafted players (UDFA haven't been added yet) have been added to the roster at Packers.com including assigned jersey numbers.

http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/

roidrunner
04-27-2009, 01:22 PM
I used to work with the guy when he was in Louisville, He is a nice guy, but he does a lot of stupid things. I worked in a bar with him, and he decided that he was done working that night. This was at about 1030. He left with out telling my boss, then came back in street clothes and proceeded to drink at the same bar. Two days later he got picked up with a bunch of weed in his car. As i said he is a very nice guy, but maturity is a major issue we will have to deal with. I could honestly see him doing a Pac man or a Tank Williams sort of mistake. Now we just need to ask is that the type of person we want on out team.

AJHawk50
04-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Nice insider information! ;)

tjsunstein
04-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Willie Williams had 40 tackles and 14 sacks as a high school senior. He played in 4 games. He has the talent for sure but he's dumb as a rock. No way around it. Simply not mature. Not a Green Bay Packer.

someone447
04-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Willie Williams had 40 tackles and 14 sacks as a high school senior. He played in 4 games. He has the talent for sure but he's dumb as a rock. No way around it. Simply not mature. Not a Green Bay Packer.

Why not risk it if he is an UDFA? There is no risk and there is a chance he turns into something.

Yatta!
04-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Why not risk it if he is an UDFA? There is no risk and there is a chance he turns into something.

I think that chance is so minute there is no point in doing it, even just because of the negative publicity that it could attract. Fortunately we aren't the type of team to go chasing poor character guys.

someone447
04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
I think that chance is so minute there is no point in doing it, even just because of the negative publicity that it could attract. Fortunately we aren't the type of team to go chasing poor character guys.

It wouldn't attract negative attention because he would instantly get cut if anything happened. There is no risk involved whatsoever. Only big name guys who get in trouble attract attention. If someone like him gets in trouble he gets cut and its the end of it.

TitleTown088
04-27-2009, 06:54 PM
GB press Gazzette says he wasn't signed anyways.

Wallzy
04-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Whoa - love the inside info. I had read quite about him during his recruitment and subsequent demise. Like you say, not a bad kid but just immature and "unintelligent". You wonder tho, if he got on a team that had some players/management people try to nurture him, then he could really make something of himself. I'd love to see him become a success story...as long as its not in our division! j/k

umphrey
04-28-2009, 04:26 AM
I just finished my draft right up. Although I plan to improve it, I think it's quite good and I spent a long time on it so take a glance if you are interested.

LINK (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1632942&#post1632942)

roidrunner
04-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Williams is a good guy at heart, it just seems like he has never had anyone to tell him no. The only real time he did not get in trouble was when he was at community college in LA. When he was there his coach was a cop or something like that. So he kept out of trouble. But he just needs someone to watch him at all times.

Smokey
04-28-2009, 10:05 AM
I just finished my draft right up. Although I plan to improve it, I think it's quite good and I spent a long time on it so take a glance if you are interested.

LINK (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1632942&#post1632942)

Solid draft review.

tjsunstein
04-28-2009, 02:00 PM
My sig is sexy. I could make one for some fellow packers fans when I get some free time. Let me know.

PACKmanN
04-28-2009, 06:02 PM
well, when Walker was cut from the Broncos he said the biggest mistake he had was leaving Green Bay and did what he did, because he felt like part of a family here. Guys like Driver and Ferguson at the time, were like older bothers to him.

So, maybe we have the right guys to look out for him and keep his head straight.

umphrey
04-28-2009, 08:03 PM
My sig is sexy. I could make one for some fellow packers fans when I get some free time. Let me know.

I'll take a sig. I like mine but I just grabbed one off a popular art site. Raji would make a good sig, I think.

princefielder28
04-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Just so nobody gets surprised by this tomorrow

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/04/new_york_jets_officially_relea.html

TitleTown088
04-29-2009, 12:49 AM
Just so nobody gets surprised by this tomorrow

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/04/new_york_jets_officially_relea.html

I don't know if I could take another season of that crap, especially if it were with the purple.

bearsfan_51
04-29-2009, 01:03 AM
I don't know if I could take another season of that crap, especially if it were with the purple.
That's a great sig, but I didn't know the prophet Muhammad played QB for us. That must have been pre-Ditka.

Whistler6
04-29-2009, 01:31 AM
Boy would that make for some drama.. Aaron vs. Brett, the old favre vs. the (supposedly) new Favre Cutler, young gun Stafford vs the whole North, etc etc etc....

I can't wait until they bring it up on ESPN First Take and Skip Bayless loses his mind with the Favre talk

Hawk
04-29-2009, 10:58 AM
That's a great sig, but I didn't know the prophet Muhammad played QB for us. That must have been pre-Ditka.

Yeah it was when they were the Indian Bears.

drowe
04-29-2009, 11:39 AM
i love that after all those years of Favre being the longest tenured QB in the division, our QB could re-take that title after 1 year as a starter. random thought. but, i just found it amusing.

TitleTown088
04-29-2009, 03:21 PM

Thanks. Mushin Muhammad was the inspiration (WR, who said, well... I'm sure you know). Never would have known that Ditka was before 7th century, thanks for the lesson Dr. :)

I can see the confusion. I may have to have Pacific make some adjustments to it if he's willing to be a nice enough guy again. I have no idea how to do that crap.

AJHawk50
04-30-2009, 01:12 PM
I saw where Brett Favre's agent said that he was released to retire a Packer...

PACKmanN
04-30-2009, 05:04 PM
http://packers.com/multimedia/packers_on_air_schedule/

go go go

Yatta!
04-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Packers reportedly interested in bringing in OLB Travis LaBoy who was recently cut by Arizona. per rotoworld.

BloodBrother
04-30-2009, 05:43 PM
I would like to see them add Kevin Carter or Vonnie Holliday for cheap as some insurance at DE since Cullen is coming back from an injury and Harrell seemingly can never stay healthy

Boston
04-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Ahhh, it's going to take me a few weeks to distinguish Colin Cole from BJ Raji...

BloodBrother
05-01-2009, 03:38 AM
Packers have signed Tyrell Sutton, Kole Heckendorf, and Carson Butler.

Add Jamarko Simmons to the list as well.

Calling it here...both these guys make the 53 man roster

Whistler6
05-01-2009, 01:33 PM
What would Laboy bring to the team that Poppinga, Chillar don't? Good size, decent speed, most likely going to rush the passer.. I guess his 3-4 experience would help.

I actually like Lumpkin more than Sutton and was pretty bummed when he went down last season. On the other hand though, watching Sutton torch the Badgers made me look twice at the little guy.

umphrey
05-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Lumpkin, Sutton, Wynn, all make pretty decent 3rd RB options. My favorite is probably Lumpkin.

tjsunstein
05-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I don't see why we would pick up LaBoy. Really wouldn't make much sense with Poppinga and Chillar but I guess it would just be a casuality to the scheme switch.

BloodBrother
05-01-2009, 06:12 PM
McCarthy presser on now for those interested

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/packers_on_air_schedule/

also under the video section they got some short interviews with a few of the draft picks after their first day at rookie mini camp

Hawk
05-01-2009, 11:49 PM
I don't see why we would pick up LaBoy. Really wouldn't make much sense with Poppinga and Chillar but I guess it would just be a casuality to the scheme switch.

I thought Chillar would play inside?

If he doesn't then yeah, I don't know why we would have interest in LaBoy. I did like him when he was with the Titans though.

tjsunstein
05-02-2009, 12:10 AM

If he doesn't then yeah, I don't know why we would have interest in LaBoy. I did like him when he was with the Titans though.

I'm just speaking in general terms of making room for him on the roster.

Yatta!
05-02-2009, 09:20 AM
NT Fred Bledsoe was cut.
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090501/PKR01/90501146/1057/PKR&located=RSS

tjsunstein
05-02-2009, 10:13 AM
NT Fred Bledsoe was cut.
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090501/PKR01/90501146/1057/PKR&located=RSS

I thought he had a lot of upside when we signed him but it doesn't seem like we would have room for someone so raw on the roster especially after bringing in Raji.

Pack_Attack_4
05-02-2009, 12:42 PM

It never hurts to hav alot of LBs now that were running the 3-4 especially if he has experiance in a 3-4 D.

BloodBrother
05-02-2009, 04:16 PM

Chillar is more fit to play outside imo. I think right now he'd be the ROLB backup to Matthews. I think Barnett/Hawk/Poppina/Bishop would be the ILB.

GB12
05-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Chillar is more fit to play outside imo. I think right now he'd be the ROLB backup to Matthews. I think Barnett/Hawk/Poppina/Bishop would be the ILB.
Chillar is a much better fit inside. I'm pretty sure the coaching staff has already said that he'll be a backup for both inside and outside, but I like him a lot as a 3-4 ILB. I think that might be a better fit for him than a 4-3 even.

EvilMonkey
05-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Chillar is a much better fit inside. I'm pretty sure the coaching staff has already said that he'll be a backup for both inside and outside, but I like him a lot as a 3-4 ILB. I think that might be a better fit for him than a 4-3 even.

yeah, I don't see him as a 3-4 OLB at all. Should be pretty nice as a backup ILB though.

princefielder28
05-03-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm excited to see what Desmond Bishop can do inside in the 3-4. He should be somewhat familiar with the scheme given his days at Cal.

Whistler6
05-03-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm excited to see what Desmond Bishop can do inside in the 3-4. He should be somewhat familiar with the scheme given his days at Cal.

Lawrence Timmons-esque?

princefielder28
05-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Lawrence Timmons-esque?

I wouldn't go even close to that. Barnett and Hawk obviously have those spots locked down but if he is given the opportunity, whether due to injury or whatever, then I think he could really thrive.

Timmons was a first rounder so Pitt needs to find out his worth and prove his worth of a 1st round selection. Bishop, as a late round selection, is a wildcard and bonus for anything he is able to provide.

Whistler6
05-03-2009, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't go even close to that. Barnett and Hawk obviously have those spots locked down but if he is given the opportunity, whether due to injury or whatever, then I think he could really thrive.

Timmons was a first rounder so Pitt needs to find out his worth and prove his worth of a 1st round selection. Bishop, as a late round selection, is a wildcard and bonus for anything he is able to provide.

Obviously he's not close to Timmons in talent, but I meant size and speed wise. Short, quick, hits like a truck. I can hope can't I?

Pittsburgh clearly thinks the world of Timmons, because they cut a 28 year old productive Larry Foote for him.

tjsunstein
05-04-2009, 03:56 AM
Bishop is a golden fit on the inside. He is definitely not quick enough on the outside as we saw in that Texans game regardless of his 12(?) tackles. Then again he was chasing around Slaton.

A prototypical 3-4 Defense might look like this in terms of players we carry:

- 2-3 NTs
B.J. Raji
Ryan Pickett

- 4 DEs
Justin Harrell
Johnny Jolly
Cullen Jenkins
Jairus Wynn

- 4 OLBs
Aaron Kampman
Clay Matthews
Brad Jones
Brady Poppinga

- 4 ILBs
AJ Hawk
Nick Barnett
Jeremy Thompson
Brandon Chillar

That leaves out Spencer Havner (LB), Jason Hunter(LB), Danny Lansanah
(LB), Anthony Toribio (NT), Alfred Malone (DE), and Brian Soi (NT). Do I have it right? I mean looking at it, it wouldn't hurt to pick up Travis LaBoy.

They usually carry about 14-15 for the front 7, and about 8-9 DBs, for a total of 23-24 or so on defense (and 27-28 on O and K and P to make 53).

*Colin Cole isn't listed on the Packers.com roster which is why I left him out.

tjsunstein
05-04-2009, 04:08 AM
Ronald Talley is listed on the Packers roster as well. He's a DE from Delaware who left Notre Dame for playing time at DE rather than DT. Seems like an odd reason for someone to leave a school as prestigious as ND because of the position change. He obviously put himself above the team. As I point out this quote:

‘’Basically, I lost trust in them,'’ Talley said. ‘’They wanted to do things with me to their advantage, not my advantage.'’

This happened is '06 so hopefully this kid has his head square on his shoulders if he intends to have any shot at making the Packers not the Ronald Talleys.

cuzifelt1ikeit
05-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Bishop is a golden fit on the inside. He is definitely not quick enough on the outside as we saw in that Texans game regardless of his 12(?) tackles. Then again he was chasing around Slaton.

A prototypical 3-4 Defense might look like this in terms of players we carry:

- 2-3 NTs
B.J. Raji
Ryan Pickett

- 4 DEs
Justin Harrell
Johnny Jolly
Cullen Jenkins
Jairus Wynn

- 4 OLBs
Aaron Kampman
Clay Matthews
Brad Jones
Brady Poppinga

- 4 ILBs
AJ Hawk
Nick Barnett
Jeremy Thompson
Brandon Chillar

That leaves out Spencer Havner (LB), Jason Hunter(LB), Danny Lansanah
(LB), Anthony Toribio (NT), Alfred Malone (DE), and Brian Soi (NT). Do I have it right? I mean looking at it, it wouldn't hurt to pick up Travis LaBoy.

They usually carry about 14-15 for the front 7, and about 8-9 DBs, for a total of 23-24 or so on defense (and 27-28 on O and K and P to make 53).

*Colin Cole isn't listed on the Packers.com roster which is why I left him out.

i think jeremy thompson is an olb not an ilb

- 4 OLBs
Aaron Kampman
Clay Matthews
Brad Jones
Jeremy Thompson

- 4 ILBs
AJ Hawk
Nick Barnett
Desmond Bishop
Brandon Chillar

i think itll be like that... maybe brady will be cut or we keep him and say screw laboy

AJHawk50
05-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah I see Jeremy Thompson as an OLB too. I don't know much on this Brad Jones, is he capable of middle?

Yatta!
05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Colin Cole isn't listed on the Packers.com roster which is why I left him out.

Cole signed with the Seahawks.

tjsunstein
05-04-2009, 02:23 PM

- 4 OLBs
Aaron Kampman
Clay Matthews
Brad Jones
Jeremy Thompson

- 4 ILBs
AJ Hawk
Nick Barnett
Desmond Bishop
Brandon Chillar

i think itll be like that... maybe brady will be cut or we keep him and say screw laboy

Wow, I guess that's what I get for doing this so late. I meant to put Thompson down and don't know how I missed Bishop after just talking about him.

Yeah I see Jeremy Thompson as an OLB too. I don't know much on this Brad Jones, is he capable of middle?

Jeremy Thompson is definitely an OLb in the 3-4, that was a mistake on my part. Brad Jones looks more suited for 3-4 rushbacker because he played DE/OLB in college. So I think he's more slated to take a roster spot there as opposed to ILB unless the coaching staff sees something out of him.

GB12
05-04-2009, 03:12 PM

- 4 OLBs
Aaron Kampman
Clay Matthews
Brad Jones
Jeremy Thompson

- 4 ILBs
AJ Hawk
Nick Barnett
Desmond Bishop
Brandon Chillar

No way Poppinga gets cut. I think we'll keep 5 OLBs, but Poppinga would definitely make it over Brad Jones and Jeremy Thompson if we did only go with 4.

AJHawk50
05-04-2009, 04:03 PM
I just saw that we released Jason Hunter...not sure if someone else has all ready reported it yet.

tjsunstein
05-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Brad Jones was really the low risk high reward pick we were trying for really late. We really shouldn't be counted him on the roster at all with Poppinga still around. If anything, its between him and Thompson for the last OLB slot.

someone447
05-04-2009, 04:16 PM
No way Poppinga gets cut. I think we'll keep 5 OLBs, but Poppinga would definitely make it over Brad Jones and Jeremy Thompson if we did only go with 4.

Exactly, if Poppinga didn't get cut when they ran a 4-3 what makes you think he will get cut in a defense that is better suited for his skillset?

Whistler6
05-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Jason Hunter got cut..Cap casualty. Not big enough to play end in the 3-4 I guess? He wasn't a game changer, but I liked rooting for the guy. He was consistent if anything.

Zycho32
05-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Hunter's only chance was to convert to OLB- he was about as undersized for DE as KGB was. He's both a Cap and Philosophy casualty.

Poppinga reads like a philosophy casualty as well. Just my gut instinct on the matter (though my gut instinct is on par with George Costanza).

Boston
05-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Exactly, if Poppinga didn't get cut when they ran a 4-3 what makes you think he will get cut in a defense that is better suited for his skillset?

I think Poppinga's pass rushing skills are overrated. He was given time at DE last year and I don't even think he touched the QB. If anything, I'd rather have a developmental guy that actually has the potential to do something, rather than a 'back-up.' Worst case scenario we just throw Chillar at OLB and see what happens.

GB12
05-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Poppinga is a 100% lock to make the team. As a backup OLB and special teamer he is a great player to have. Plus we just gave him a 5 year extension last year.

And Hunter was not a cap casualty. He was on a $1 million RFA tender. He was let go becuase it would be pretty much impossible for him to make the team.

Whistler6
05-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Poppinga is a 100% lock to make the team. As a backup OLB and special teamer he is a great player to have. Plus we just gave him a 5 year extension last year.

And Hunter was not a cap casualty. He was on a $1 million RFA tender. He was let go becuase it would be pretty much impossible for him to make the team.

I was just quoting packernews.com about him being a cap casualty, but either way he's cut.

Whistler6
05-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Brian Calhoun got cut by the Lions, and it kind of amazes me at how much sh*t Lions fans are saying about him. He was legit as a Badger and showed flashes in the NFL. The guys not a 'bum' because he isn't the player they wanted him to be.

Just happy to have a team like the Packer I can root for.

TitleTown088
05-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Brian Calhoun got cut by the Lions, and it kind of amazes me at how much sh*t Lions fans are saying about him. He was legit as a Badger and showed flashes in the NFL. The guys not a 'bum' because he isn't the player they wanted him to be.

Just happy to have a team like the Packer I can root for.

Your avy goes well with that heart-warming thought.

Whistler6
05-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Your avy goes well with that heart-warming thought.

Hah, I like to think so...I just keep thinking back to JD's the more you know moment from Scrubs

"You had a tough day at the office, so you come home, make yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie. Maybe have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."

princefielder28
05-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Hah, I like to think so...I just keep thinking back to JD's the more you know moment from Scrubs

"You had a tough day at the office, so you come home, make yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie. Maybe have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."

That episode was on yesterday...haha

TitleTown088
05-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Anyone else think we may still add a vet DE? I do.

Whistler6
05-05-2009, 04:44 PM
So I'm watching PTI right now procrastinating on 1 of my term papers, andddd? Brad Childress will meet with Brett Favre at an "undisclosed" location to discuss a return to the NFL.

Yup.

AJHawk50
05-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Anyone else think we may still add a vet DE? I do.
Good question, but personally I don't see us going for it. We have a lot of D-lineman who are capable, at least to try out IMO. With Jenkins, Harrell, Pickett, Raji, Jolly, and even Montgomery...that seems like enough depth to me.

AJHawk50
05-05-2009, 05:11 PM
By Ed Werder, ESPN.com

"Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress and quarterback Brett Favre plan to meet at an undisclosed location later this week to discuss the possibility of the former Packers and Jets quarterback renouncing his retirement from the NFL to play the 2009 season with the Vikings, according to a source with direct knowledge of discussions between the two parties."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4142857

someone447
05-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Good question, but personally I don't see us going for it. We have a lot of D-lineman who are capable, at least to try out IMO. With Jenkins, Harrell, Pickett, Raji, Jolly, and even Montgomery...that seems like enough depth to me.

There are 3 legitimate players in that group, and two of them play nose. I just don't trust that Jolly will be able to play with his legal trouble. A veteran end would go a long way to towards getting this defense ready for the transition.

AJHawk50
05-05-2009, 06:12 PM
According to a New York Daily News column by Gary Myers, a(nother) Favre return to the NFL would be motivated by his desire to get revenge on the Packers, the team that kicked him to the curb last spring in favor of Aaron Rodgers.

Writes Myers:

One NFL source insists Favre can't peacefully retire until he finds a way to get revenge on the Packers. He wants back into the NFC North so he can face the Packers twice. The Bears traded for Jay Cutler and the Lions drafted Matthew Stafford. Hello, Minnesota.

"Favre can't stand Green Bay," the source said. "He wants to play Green Bay and say, 'I told you so.' His bitterness is creating this. I think he's calling Minnesota. I think Minnesota is talking about this as we speak. You haven't heard the end of Favre. No way. He is bionic. As long as somebody will let him in, he will play."

jmess15
05-05-2009, 06:50 PM
I am curious what you Packers fan think of Favre and the Vikes. I am a Jets fan and From a Jets perspective I don't care, I was for him coming to town but it didnt work out. However, I think if I were a Packers fan I would feel betrayed. Yes it did not end well in Green Bay but jeez you guys were pretty good to him for all of those years. I understand wanting to come back last year, but to work your way back to a dreaded rival is bush league.

Jackie Robinson retired rather than be traded to the Giants while Favre is pulling all of the strings to go to the Vikes.

KEEPINitREAL
05-05-2009, 07:10 PM
I’m going off topic but I saw the piece on Favre meeting with Childress on ESPN and i would love to see Favre go to the vikqueens...he just wants to get back in the division to get back at the Packers even tho tech if he wouldnt have ever retired he would still be in a Packer Uniform. I’m sorry The Packer organization goes before any player no matter who they are. I’d like to see Kampman make him regret every snap he takes in a Viking uniform

JF4
05-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Favre is a shell of what he once was and thats an overstatement. If the Queens pick him up I will laugh because I know he will play like crap this year and he is not the player to take them to the next level.

jackalope
05-05-2009, 07:43 PM
If Favre does go to the Vikings he is even more classless than I thought. I could live with him as a Jet, although I lost a lot of respect for him. If he goes to Minnesota, I don't give a **** about him anymore.

NFL Network's "around the league". Talks a little about Raji and Rodgers.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8102b9fc/Tuesday-s-Around-the-League

AJHawk50
05-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Wow, didn't think they'd consider putting him at DE. And Aaron Rodgers is just the man...lol.

TitleTown088
05-05-2009, 08:04 PM
WTF are you doing Brett?

tjsunstein
05-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Someone from ESPN texted Favre and asked if he was thinking about a return and the answer they say they got was, "No." If he does come back, so be it. We all know he won't be as good as he once was. The Vikings are scary, though, because they have the recievers to catch those long balls. I think Childress is just trying to buy himself some more time as head coach. Clock is ticking on him, a bad year and I think he's out.

TitleTown088
05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Someone from ESPN texted Favre and asked if he was thinking about a return and the answer they say they got was, "No." If he does come back, so be it. We all know he won't be as good as he once was. The Vikings are scary because they have the recievers to catch those long balls.

That same text crap was reported last year and he came back.

princefielder28
05-05-2009, 08:14 PM

Plus, who would ever give Trent Dilfer any credible info. I'd be waiting for John Clayton or Michael Smith before I'd dish out my plans for next year.

tjsunstein
05-05-2009, 08:15 PM
If Favre does go to the Vikings he is even more classless than I thought. I could live with him as a Jet, although I lost a lot of respect for him. If he goes to Minnesota, I don't give a **** about him anymore.

NFL Network's "around the league". Talks a little about Raji and Rodgers.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8102b9fc/Tuesday-s-Around-the-League

Aaron Rodgers is showing signs of Mark Sanchez leadership. ZOMGZ, Rodgers ia a hall of famer. Kidding. Good to see Rodgers is comfortable with the team enough to assume leadership. Makes me wonder who those 6 players were.

tjsunstein
05-05-2009, 08:18 PM

Might be Favre trying to be low key but either way, the story tops the headlines. This is why most people hate Brett Favre, the image the media portrays of him. I went on a whole rant a while back, but paraphrasing most people hate hearing about Brett Favre more than they hate him as a player.

princefielder28
05-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Couple more notes....

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, free agent Brett Favre is actively recruiting unemployed quarterback coaches to help him work out in Mississippi as he prepares to play football in 2009.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen calls free agent Brett Favre's chances of playing for the Vikings "better than 50-50" if he follows through on his late-week meeting with head coach Brad Childress.

tjsunstein
05-05-2009, 08:21 PM
I am curious what you Packers fan think of Favre and the Vikes. I am a Jets fan and From a Jets perspective I don't care, I was for him coming to town but it didnt work out. However, I think if I were a Packers fan I would feel betrayed. Yes it did not end well in Green Bay but jeez you guys were pretty good to him for all of those years. I understand wanting to come back last year, but to work your way back to a dreaded rival is bush league.

Jackie Robinson retired rather than be traded to the Giants while Favre is pulling all of the strings to go to the Vikes.

If his intention is to actually work his way back into the division to try to get back at Green Bay, then I would have a problem with it but I'll give Brett the benefit of the doubt that his only intent is to get back into football as a starting QB and if Minnesota is the only team willing to have him then he has to take when he can gets. He has an undeniable passion for the game and juts can't will himself to leave it.

tjsunstein
05-05-2009, 08:24 PM
So one year the division quarterbacks are:

Aaron Rodgers
Jon Kitna/ Dan Orlovsky/ Daunte Culpepper
Kyle Orton / Rex Grossman
Tavaris Jackson / Gus Ferrotte

to

Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, Brett Favre, and Matthew Stafford.

Kind of a drastic reconfiguration, notice any constants?

princefielder28
05-05-2009, 08:27 PM
That is funny how the division goes from the least interesting QB division to the most interesting in the matter of six weeks.

Yatta!
05-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I will be so pissed if Favre ends up in Minnesota.

He is ruining his hard-earned reputation just to stick it to TT and last season proved TT made the right decision anyway. Favre needs to suck it up and stop being a dick.

AJHawk50
05-05-2009, 08:33 PM
I will be so pissed if Favre ends up in Minnesota.

He is ruining his hard-earned reputation just to stick it to TT and last season proved TT made the right decision anyway. Favre needs to suck it up and stop being a dick.
Exactly, AMEN to that.

tjsunstein
05-05-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm gonna copy and paste what I said in the other thread.

If his intention is to actually work his way back into the division to try to get back at Green Bay, then I would have a problem with it but I'll give Brett the benefit of the doubt that his only intent is to get back into football as a starting QB and if Minnesota is the only team willing to have him then he has to take when he can gets. He has an undeniable passion for the game and just can't will himself to leave it.

There.

If all he really wants to do with play against Green Bay twice a year to try to show them up then he's being a prick but if its just that he wants to play again and Minnesota is the only legitimate interest then can we really be mad at him? Sure, he retired and unretired, repeat but they were under different circumstances. If he just wants to play and have a chance at starting AND win a super bowl then Minnesota makes sense being that they're a QB away from being a serious threat. Although I think its obvious they got him on the wrong side of his career that it really wont do anything other than be a filler.

Zycho32
05-05-2009, 10:28 PM
It'll be amusing to say the least, if he winds up in Minnesota. After Harvin, what do the Vikes have for recievers? It's probably not 2005- level awfulness, but it's more like the late 90's, early 00s before Driver came into his own and Walker appeared.

princefielder28
05-05-2009, 10:30 PM
It'll be amusing to say the least, if he winds up in Minnesota. After Harvin, what do the Vikes have for recievers? It's probably not 2005- level awfulness, but it's more like the late 90's, early 00s before Driver came into his own and Walker appeared.

Minnesota has Bernard Berrian, Sidney Rice and Aundrae Allison, not a bad bunch of targets.

Smokey
05-05-2009, 10:47 PM
At this point I'm just sort of shrugging my shoulders. If Brett goes to the Vikes good luck to him. But when he comes to Green Bay I don't see it working out at all in the way he's envisioned. And I don't expect the defense will hold back.

tjsunstein
05-05-2009, 11:43 PM
He just wants that feeling of playing in Lambeau again. I guess desperation has pushed him to wearing purple to do so.

Whistler6
05-06-2009, 12:16 AM
It sets up PERFECTlY for Favre... Best running game in the NFL, great defense, Vikings have one of the easiest schedules, avoids playing in "cold" Lambeau because he plays Green Bay early enough in the year, and if all goes according to plans he gets to stick it to TT. Damn.

He is still my all-time favorite Packer and I love the guy, but hard to swallow if it all comes true.

Boston
05-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Does Favre realize that by coming back to the Vikings he will therefore need to play 8 games in that shithole? 8 games!

PACKmanN
05-06-2009, 09:29 AM

If his intention is to actually work his way back into the division to try to get back at Green Bay, then I would have a problem with it but I'll give Brett the benefit of the doubt that his only intent is to get back into football as a starting QB and if Minnesota is the only team willing to have him then he has to take when he can gets. He has an undeniable passion for the game and just can't will himself to leave it.

There.

If all he really wants to do with play against Green Bay twice a year to try to show them up then he's being a prick but if its just that he wants to play again and Minnesota is the only legitimate interest then can we really be mad at him? Sure, he retired and unretired, repeat but they were under different circumstances. If he just wants to play and have a chance at starting AND win a super bowl then Minnesota makes sense being that they're a QB away from being a serious threat. Although I think its obvious they got him on the wrong side of his career that it really wont do anything other than be a filler.
That part I disagree with. There were signs all over the place of him wanting to be traded or play for the Vikings since last year. His ego is getting in the way of right and wrong. IMO, he wants to prove to the Packers that he still has something left, and he really doesn't. Right now, Rodgers>Favre.

btw, why are they saying playing in Minnesota is a good thing? I'm sorry, but did everyone forget his record in domes? I hope he does go to Minnesota, come one Minn, do it.

Zycho32
05-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Minnesota has Bernard Berrian, Sidney Rice and Aundrae Allison, not a bad bunch of targets.

Agreed; it's not awful. Not really half-bad. I would say that's a moderate level, about on par with the recievers Green Bay was running out at the turn of the century.

The catch is that Favre is- at least in my 'armchair' opinion- no longer able to carry a half-decent group of recievers to prominence. The last time he could manage that was back in that specific time I just previously mentioned. I'd say at least one or two more high quality recievers need to be acquired before Favre starts looking good in the offense.

As for the 'fit', think about it; Minnesota has no clear cut starter (choosing between T-Jax, Booty, and Rosen'copter' requires rose-tinted glasses the size of dinner plates) and plays in a dome which allows for at least half the season to be played in relative comfort. This'll be readily apparent once winter comes back. You can't really look at his record in domes because they were practically all as part of the visiting teams. As part of the 'home' team? Whole different ballgame there.

umphrey
05-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Last year was different. But now I am officially a Favre hater.

roughrider30
05-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Us as fans can't blame the guy for wanting to play. At first I was so upset and pissed off at what Favre is doing right now, but after thinking about it we cant blame the guy just because he can't get enough of the game.

We are being selfish hating a guy who has done so much for our franchise. We are basically telling this guy he should quit playing the game he loves, because he's going to a team we all hate. I know it hurts to see what he is doing, but he didn't ask for us to draft Rodgers (I know it was a great move for us) and he really wanted to stay in Green Bay last year to play (I also know this was a good move by us to let him go).
But the fact is, he wanted to keep playing and we wanted him to quit because we didn't want him to play anymore for us and for any other team.

All that being said, I hope he is doing this just to play again and not to get back at TT, because that would be totally wrong. I will definitely say I'm upset with Favre, but do I hate him? No way

RockJock07
05-06-2009, 02:15 PM

There.

If brett is looking for QB coachs now, he's in trouble. In addition to being out of shape and 40, he still has an ailing shoulder that must be dealt with. He may be Brett Favre however he can't just roll into training game and be a spring chicken. The fact that he knows the offense should help however when Brett had medicore WR in GB and JY he forced balls and ended up throwing tons of picks.

This whole this is just a cluster F, Brett wants to stick it TT however it's not a simple as hiring a QB coach and going out opening night and throwing 4 TD's. Brett has questionable desire when it comes to putting in the practice time and the time off the field. I just think at 40 years old, revenge is a silly reason to come back.

If he comes back those games vs the packers are going to be epic. You know that that entire Packers defense will publicly say it's just another game but they will lower the boom on Brett and I'm excited to see it if he does return.

cuzifelt1ikeit
05-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Us as fans can't blame the guy for wanting to play. At first I was so upset and pissed off at what Favre is doing right now, but after thinking about it we cant blame the guy just because he can't get enough of the game.

We are being selfish hating a guy who has done so much for our franchise. We are basically telling this guy he should quit playing the game he loves, because he's going to a team we all hate. I know it hurts to see what he is doing, but he didn't ask for us to draft Rodgers (I know it was a great move for us) and he really wanted to stay in Green Bay last year to play (I also know this was a good move by us to let him go).
But the fact is, he wanted to keep playing and we wanted him to quit because we didn't want him to play anymore for us and for any other team.

All that being said, I hope he is doing this just to play again and not to get back at TT, because that would be totally wrong. I will definitely say I'm upset with Favre, but do I hate him? No way

i hope he comes back just to stick it to us. im a huge brett favre fan and id love to see him come back, hes one of the most fun players to watch

The Legend
05-06-2009, 02:18 PM
i hope he comes back just to stick it to us. im a huge brett favre fan and id love to see him come back, hes one of the most fun players to watch in my mind

ID LOVE TO WATCH HIM PLAY ANOTHER WHOLE YEAR!!!

Last year was different. But now I am officially a Favre hater.

It's okay he hates you too :)

bearsfan_51
05-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Might be Favre trying to be low key but either way, the story tops the headlines. This is why most people hate Brett Favre, the image the media portrays of him. I went on a whole rant a while back, but paraphrasing most people hate hearing about Brett Favre more than they hate him as a player.

I love how so many Packers fans act like they aren't complicit in this. YOU guys were praying at the shrine of Favre until he left too. YOU had no problem hearing about him when he was on the Packers, or saying that everyone was just jealous of all the media attention he got.

He left Green Bay and now all of the sudden he's a narcasistic asshole? Please. He always has been and the main reason is because of the cult that you all built around him.

cuzifelt1ikeit
05-06-2009, 02:44 PM
I love how so many Packers fans act like they aren't complicit in this. YOU guys were praying at the shrine of Favre until he left too. YOU had no problem hearing about him when he was on the Packers, or saying that everyone was just jealous of all the media attention he got.

He left Green Bay and now all of the sudden he's a narcasistic asshole? Please. He always has been and the main reason is because of the cult that you all built around him.

yeah i agree with that. i dont understand why everyone hates him because he wants to play with the vikings for the opportunity to beat us? gimmie a break. if thats what he wants then more power to him. today on outside the lines some writer or something from wisconsin attacked favre by saying he has no friends to hang out with on sundays, i thought that was just wrong. i think he belongs with the rest of packer fans who are hating on him.

someone447
05-06-2009, 03:14 PM

Personally, I wanted the Packers to keep him at least another year. I would be happy to see him keep playing if he was going to anyone but the Vikings, Bears, or Cowboys.

BloodBrother
05-06-2009, 03:20 PM

Favre is not in the same league as Robinson is class wise. I'd say Favre is similar to Clemens. A self absorbed prick who is out for revenge

Favre probably does think he can still play, and having the Pack move on still probably bugs him. He's probably going to come back for a few reasons...1) he thinks he can still play, or at least wants to make up for his awful finish to last season, and 2) to get back at Thompson/McCarthy.

I'm over it. After his temper tantrum from last offseason, I won't be disgusted or surprised to see him with the Vikes. Packers moved on, and so have I.

BloodBrother
05-06-2009, 03:24 PM

It doesn't help that Favre surrounds himself with a bunch of people who kiss his ass. The fans in Green Bay, the Sherman Regime who let Favre do whatever he damn well pleased, and his media puppets in Mort and most of ESPN

tjsunstein
05-06-2009, 03:32 PM
That part I disagree with. There were signs all over the place of him wanting to be traded or play for the Vikings since last year. His ego is getting in the way of right and wrong. IMO, he wants to prove to the Packers that he still has something left, and he really doesn't. Right now, Rodgers>Favre.

btw, why are they saying playing in Minnesota is a good thing? I'm sorry, but did everyone forget his record in domes? I hope he does go to Minnesota, come one Minn, do it.

I said if. Let's be realistic here, Minnesota is the only team in need of a QB that could potentially win the NFC or dare I say go further if they had a quarterback. I agree his ego is getting in the way if he's just coming back to Minnesota and not welcoming any other oppurtunity. Minnesota presented the best case scenario to win now last year and this year so in a sense you cant blame him but at the same time you have to question his motives.

If brett is looking for QB coachs now, he's in trouble. In addition to being out of shape and 40, he still has an ailing shoulder that must be dealt with. He may be Brett Favre however he can't just roll into training game and be a spring chicken. The fact that he knows the offense should help however when Brett had medicore WR in GB and JY he forced balls and ended up throwing tons of picks.

This whole this is just a cluster F, Brett wants to stick it TT however it's not a simple as hiring a QB coach and going out opening night and throwing 4 TD's. Brett has questionable desire when it comes to putting in the practice time and the time off the field. I just think at 40 years old, revenge is a silly reason to come back.

If he comes back those games vs the packers are going to be epic. You know that that entire Packers defense will publicly say it's just another game but they will lower the boom on Brett and I'm excited to see it if he does return.

I for one will buy tickets immediately if he comes back IN Minnesota if I have to. I agree that revenge is silly to come back but what if he's just coming back for the oppurtunity to win another super bowl? I don't know, I just think that its just coincidence that the Vikings present the best situation for him.

He wasn't being portrayed as some attention ***** when he was with the Packers. Maybe towards the latter when ESPN needed a story it got kind of ridiculous but what do you expect when one of the best QBs of all time is pondering retirement. Now they are reporting speculation and going overboard with it even when his agent has said he's retired, Favre has texted ESPN and said no to coming back. I just think the media makes everyone dislike him because of his face being on TV 17 hours of the day with reports with no substance. And I'm sorry, is it wrong to worship a 3 time MVP, Super Bowl winner who was with the team for 17 years? I guess someone that doesnt know what its like wouldnt understand but he took this franchise and single handedly brought it to where it is now. And yes, everyone is jealous the media attention he gets. More people hate him for the media attention he's gotten than his play on the football field.

BloodBrother
05-06-2009, 03:46 PM
I think its how he's acting which is what is drawing people to start hating or at least getting irritated with him. I mean, if he wants to come back, great...come out and say it. He puts on this little show where one day he's having a sunday conversation with Mort shrugging his shoulders saying "well, I don't know...I could still play, but at this time I'm not sure I want to" Either come out and say you are or are not coming back. The media, especially ESPN, obviously milks this thing for all its worth but Favre feeds them with this crap. He's not some innocent bystander. He's constantly feeding his puppet Mort with stuff. He texted ESPN, specifically Dilfer, that he won't come back...so that should be it. He should stay retired then. I have a feeling he won't, though

drowe
05-06-2009, 03:54 PM

not really. he was our problem a few years ago. was it annoying that he dragged his decision out every year? yeah. and nobody really had a problem acknowledging that. but, i also don't think it made him a 'narcasistic asshole.' i think the last 2 years show what he went through. he legitimatly didn't want to make the wrong decision and have to retire or un-retire after the initial decision was made.

now, it's a different story. he's treating the whole league as if it's his personal arena for a vendetta against ted thompson and the packers. he used the Jets' draft as leverage to get a release. he's using the Vikings to get revenge on the Packers, and/or he's using the Packers as an excuse for his backpeddling on retirement for the second time in a year.

everybody made fun of him for taking forever in '04, '05, '06 and '07 to make the decision...but, look what's happening now...maybe he should've thought about it a little longer in '08 and '09.

TitleTown088
05-06-2009, 04:08 PM

I love how you probably believe you're enlightened and alone in thinking this. Many fans easily recognize it as well. It's not an original thought.

What I am waiting for is to see Packer fans try to rip on him with the same vices they used to defend. ( ints for example)

drowe
05-06-2009, 04:18 PM
What I am waiting for is to see Packer fans try to rip on him with the same vices they used to defend. ( ints for example)

i am not turning on him as a player. when this is all said and done 5 years ago, i'll be back to being a Favre fan. last year, i was indifferent towards him. If he plays for the Vikings next year, i'll be rooting against him. I'll HOPE he throws a lot of interceptions, but it won't change my perception of him as a player. his relavent playing days are over. if the Vikings think he's the answer 2009, let 'em think that.

Manic Depressant
05-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Aaron Rodgers chartered a plane to Kentucky and brought 6 teammates to watch the Derby. Apparently he's always looking after his teammates, even practice squad guys. Rodgers has really impressed me with the way he handles himself off the field.

On another note, it sounds like Raji might see more time at DE than NT this season. Of course, this will all be decided once the pads go on but it's definitely a route I can see the Packers going. I really like the way the defensive line is shaping up due to their talent and versatility.

RockJock07
05-06-2009, 04:57 PM

What you're describing is what most call rooting for your team, not one player. certainly most people will live and die with Brett however most are Packer fans 1st. I always enjoyed Brett, he always made you feel like he was just another guy with amazing talents, someone who fan's of any team could identify with.

Most any NFL fan would know that in the last 3-4 years here with the packers, management and a portion of fans were growing tired of Brett's antics during the off-season. Brett's act just grew old, I for one don't think he's an asshole I just think he's kinda of a tool.

Being a fan of chicago you should be quite familiar with fan's turning on beloved superstars.

tjsunstein
05-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Aaron Rodgers chartered a plane to Kentucky and brought 6 teammates to watch the Derby. Apparently he's always looking after his teammates, even practice squad guys. Rodgers has really impressed me with the way he handles himself off the field.

On another note, it sounds like Raji might see more time at DE than NT this season. Of course, this will all be decided once the pads go on but it's definitely a route I can see the Packers going. I really like the way the defensive line is shaping up due to their talent and versatility.

I see you've watched the Around the League episode on NFL.com. They're trying Raji out at end for big packages with Pickett at NT but I doubt he sees more time at DE.

princefielder28
05-06-2009, 06:07 PM
With all this Favre stuff, it's kinda fun to be going to school in Minneapolis and being at the heart of everything. Whether I'm here or Green Bay, all I will hear about is Brett, Brett, Brett, and I don't have a problem with it.

cuzifelt1ikeit
05-06-2009, 08:18 PM

thats pretty awesome that he did that. thats a teammate you would love to have. ive been nothing less then amazed with the job that rodgers has done being the qb of the future for us and this is just icing on the cake

GB12
05-06-2009, 08:47 PM
With all this Favre stuff, it's kinda fun to be going to school in Minneapolis and being at the heart of everything. Whether I'm here or Green Bay, all I will hear about is Brett, Brett, Brett, and I don't have a problem with it.
I'd ******* hate that. I'm trying to avoid it all the best I can, and I'm still sick of it.

PACKmanN
05-06-2009, 10:00 PM
I'd ******* hate that. I'm trying to avoid it all the best I can, and I'm still sick of it.

same, I'm staying away from any Favre thread, can we keep him in his thread, don't want to see his name anymore.

Manic Depressant
05-07-2009, 10:55 AM
I see you've watched the Around the League episode on NFL.com. They're trying Raji out at end for big packages with Pickett at NT but I doubt he sees more time at DE.

If we're talking about the 3-4 only and not subpackages, I can definitely see Raji seeing more time at DE. I think the coaches will want both Pickett and Raji on the field and Raji has better quickness than Pickett so he'll fit in better at DE.

PACKmanN
05-07-2009, 12:46 PM
If we're talking about the 3-4 only and not subpackages, I can definitely see Raji seeing more time at DE. I think the coaches will want both Pickett and Raji on the field and Raji has better quickness than Pickett so he'll fit in better at DE.

i see it as Harrell - Raji - Jenkins

princefielder28
05-07-2009, 01:15 PM

Harrell has done absolutely nothing to deserve a starting spot along the line. He needs to stay healthy and become a part of the rotation before he suits up as a starter for us.

Manic Depressant
05-07-2009, 01:18 PM

Considering Pickett will likely barely play in the subpackages (he's not a pass rushing threat) I can't see him not playing in the base 3-4. Harrell will likely see time in subpackages and as a rotation DE but I think talent-wise it makes more sense to leave Pickett at the nose and have Raji play DE in the 3-4.

tjsunstein
05-07-2009, 01:55 PM

More time at end like compared to Pickett? Me too, absolutely.
But more time at end than at NT during the course of the season? I don't think so.

The defensive front three could be Harrell-Raji-Jenkins if Harrell has a healthy minicamp or Jolly could be there if his legal issues clear up but that's still cloudy.

How often will they put Raji and Pickett on the line together though?
Running downs?
Wouldn't we just send a 4-3 package onto the field then?
I would like it if Raji was on the end for some plays and opened up some lanes for whoever the OLB may be at the time and funnel the runner inside towards the guards rather than run off tackle but I think he's way more valuable as a NT.

tjsunstein
05-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Some side notes:

In all, the Packers signed four players out of 21 who tried out over the weekend: Graessle, offensive tackle Dane Randolph and defensive end Dean Muhtadi of Maryland and cornerback Trevor Ford of Troy.
Trevor Ford transferred from FSU I think. Listed at 6'1 194 on Troy's website. Must be fast. Ran a 4.33 coming out of HS.

Dane Randolph is 6'5 300lbs and ran the 40 in 4.9. Talk about athletic. Also put up 29 reps of 225. The knock on him is that he is a RT only and was very inconsitent.

Dean Muhtadi is a 6'3 295 3-4 DE prospect. Senior with the highest GPA on the football team. Had just 3 starts the last two years but appeared in 19 gams.

Who do you guys see winning the punting job?
Durant Brooks?
Jeremy Kapinos?
Aaron Graessle?

princefielder28
05-07-2009, 02:36 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-favre050709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Favre talk can stop

princefielder28
05-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Who do you guys see winning the punting job?
Durant Brooks?
Jeremy Kapinos?
Aaron Graessle?

I like Durant Brooks winning the job. It has more to due with how much more highly touted he was out of school, and I think we should be able to work with him and get him to the necessary level to be successful.

GB12
05-07-2009, 03:06 PM
More time at end like compared to Pickett? Me too, absolutely.
But more time at end than at NT during the course of the season? I don't think so.

The defensive front three could be Harrell-Raji-Jenkins if Harrell has a healthy minicamp or Jolly could be there if his legal issues clear up but that's still cloudy.

How often will they put Raji and Pickett on the line together though?
Running downs?
Wouldn't we just send a 4-3 package onto the field then?
I would like it if Raji was on the end for some plays and opened up some lanes for whoever the OLB may be at the time and funnel the runner inside towards the guards rather than run off tackle but I think he's way more valuable as a NT.
No, that's what the 3-4 is for. If we were going to do that it'd be like we didn't switch defenses at all. The 3-4 is supposed to be a better run stopping defense. That's a big reason why we switched.

On the topic of wear Raji will play though, he will definitely see more time at NT than DE. I don't think there is any question about that. That's why we brought him into; to be the dominating NT that is needed to make the defense work. He will see a couple plays a game at DE, but that's all it is, a couple plays. For the 3-4 line I think Jenkins will be at DE almost every play, Raji will see about 55-60% of the plays at NT with Pickett getting the other 40-45%, and then Harrell, Jolly, Pickett, and Raji rotating in at the other end with the amount of playing time there in the order I listed them.

PACKmanN
05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Considering Pickett will likely barely play in the subpackages (he's not a pass rushing threat) I can't see him not playing in the base 3-4. Harrell will likely see time in subpackages and as a rotation DE but I think talent-wise it makes more sense to leave Pickett at the nose and have Raji play DE in the 3-4.

Harrell's talent>Pickett's talent.

princefielder28
05-07-2009, 03:16 PM

How can you say that? We haven't seen what Harrell can, or can't do, on the football field; he's still a toss-up. Pickett was the greatest last eason, but he is a capable player in this league and that's much more than Harrell can say.

TitleTown088
05-07-2009, 03:17 PM

I really don't understand why Harrell and Pickett are being compared. They're different type of players.

TitleTown088
05-07-2009, 03:21 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-favre050709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Favre talk can stop

Sadly, it can't stop yet. Can't really believe anything you read at this point.

drowe
05-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Sadly, it can't stop yet. Can't really believe anything you read at this point.

you're right. by october, some team is gonna lose their starting QB to injury, and guess what name will pop up every 15 seconds....

BloodBrother
05-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Until I see Sage/T-jax lining up under center I won't believe it. Hell, even when Favre made his retirement speech on live TV that wasn't the end of it.

neko4
05-07-2009, 06:46 PM
you're right. by october, some team is gonna lose their starting QB to injury, and guess what name will pop up every 15 seconds....
Well if Favre came back because a team had an injured QB i wouldn't find that a bad thing at all.

I remember last offseason before the comeback some people seemed to favor a Favre comeback if rodgers got hurt.

Whistler6
05-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Joe Pa can coach until he dies on the field, Jamie Moyer and Randy Johnson can pitch until they are 50, and Brett Favre can play football until he's 40.

As bitter as I would be seeing him in a Vikings uniform, I want him to come back and play. The NFC North would be FULL of drama, story lines, and some fricken good football games.

Not to mention, our summer will be much more entertaining having "All Favre All Day" talk on every TV/radio station.

jackalope
05-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Joe Pa can coach until he dies on the field, Jamie Moyer and Randy Johnson can pitch until they are 50, and Brett Favre can play football until he's 40.

As bitter as I would be seeing him in a Vikings uniform, I want him to come back and play. The NFC North would be FULL of drama, story lines, and some fricken good football games.

Not to mention, our summer will be much more entertaining having "All Favre All Day" talk on every TV/radio station.

Well, that gives him 5 months.

And I wouldn't describe "All Favre All Day" as entertaining. Listening to the radio today, I'm already tired of it. I really hope he is seriously staying retired.

Burger
05-07-2009, 10:34 PM
He will suck for the Vikings, like he did mediocrity for the Jets.

TitleTown088
05-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Q. Why doesn't St. Paul have a professional football team?
A. Because then Minneapolis would want one!

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7303/packers.jpg (http://img9.imageshack.us/my.php?image=packers.jpg)

Yatta!
05-08-2009, 06:53 AM
So apparently the Favre thing is by no means over, and I tend to agree.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/44570532.html

PACKmanN
05-08-2009, 08:58 AM
I really don't understand why Harrell and Pickett are being compared. They're different type of players.

im not comparing them, the guy said he would rather have the 3 best on the feild, and Harrell>Pickett.

umphrey
05-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Are you comparing prospects or something? Harrell's barely seen the field. At the end of last season he wasn't even close to the established anchor Pickett is, who hardly ever misses games.

Whistler6
05-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Well, that gives him 5 months.

And I wouldn't describe "All Favre All Day" as entertaining. Listening to the radio today, I'm already tired of it. I really hope he is seriously staying retired.

It was more of the point I was trying to make than his exact age...

And there's a difference between "good" entertainment and "bad, over-discussed, and old" entertainment. Regardless of how tiring the Favre talk is, it'd be entertaining to say that least if this story progresses at alllll

tjsunstein
05-08-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm saying Harrell would be a better fit as a DE than Pickett and based off of potential really since it's all speculation as to who will be the best at this point. I think Harrell will be a better starter. But that's if he is healthy. There's a lot of factors that weigh into it but I'm not basing my front three off of production the last couple years but rather potential production.

Mr.Regular
05-08-2009, 04:41 PM
So is this what we're looking at on the line?

Jenkins
Raji/Pickett
Raji/Pickett/Harrell

TitleTown088
05-08-2009, 04:41 PM
im not comparing them, the guy said he would rather have the 3 best on the feild, and Harrell>Pickett.
huh?
Perhaps Harrels potential is better than Pickett's, but certianly to his play on the field so far.

Yatta!
05-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Raji/Pickett/Harrell

You can add Johnny Jolly to that rotation as well, legal issues aside.

PACKmanN
05-08-2009, 06:21 PM
huh?
Perhaps Harrels potential is better than Pickett's, but certianly to his play on the field so far.

Pickett hasn't shown he can beat bigger guys, and when your facing 2 blockers, that isn't good.

tjsunstein
05-08-2009, 06:58 PM
So is this what we're looking at on the line?

Jenkins
Raji/Pickett
Raji/Pickett/Harrell

Add in Jolly as a sub. I still don't buy the whole Raji at DE role. He was drafted as a NT because that's the most important and as mentioned above, Pickett can't handle double teams. Pickett is a sub to me, as along as Raji is healthy.

Boston
05-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Add in Jolly as a sub. I still don't buy the whole Raji at DE role. He was drafted as a NT because that's the most important and as mentioned above, Pickett can't handle double teams. Pickett is a sub to me, as along as Raji is healthy.

Of course Raji is still the main NT. The whole purpose of these 'packages' is to get the best three lineman on the field at the same time and keep the O-line off balance.

stealthbomber
05-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Pickett hasn't shown he can beat bigger guys, and when your facing 2 blockers, that isn't good.
What?
Pickett hasn't shown he can beat bigger guys? What OL are bigger than he is?

Harrell hasn't shown he can beat ANY guys.
Harrell hasn't shown he can DO anything.
We have not seen Harrell on the field.

If he gets and stays healthy, he has a chance to be a good DE in this scheme. But that's based on his measurables and what we hear, certainly not by anything he has actually produced on the NFL Gridiron.

Burger
05-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Redding is working with Harrell on preventing injuries, so I think Justin will be good.

johbur
05-09-2009, 03:44 AM
My favorite part of this is the great confidence Childress is showing in the QBs on the roster by sniffing after Favre. At this point, I'd just assume see Favre in Minnie due to his age, shoulder and declining skills. It'd take another year away from TJ or Sage and prevent Vikes from actually finding a decent QB.

johbur
05-09-2009, 04:13 AM

What? Raji>Pickett, but Raji also has the pass rush chops and agility to swing out to DE, while Pickett holds the middle. In the 4-3, Pickett should NOT have had to face so many double teams, but he did considering that there was ZERO pass rush on his side from the RDE after Jenkins went down. He still had 48 tackles and 1.5 sacks. The under tackles did not show much in the pass rush which is what the team needed, though at least Jolly played in all 16 games and had 49 tackles and a pair of batted balls. Harrell played in 6 games and had 12 tackles. When Corey Williams was playing between Pickett and AK he had 7 sacks. I'm hoping the 3-4 will bring the pressure from the LBs, but also get the D-line in one-on-ones like the Steelers' D-line, which had 11 sacks last year in the regular season.

Raji>Pickett>Jolly>Mason Crosby>Harrell. ;D I'd love for Harrell to come out this year and blow the doors off the 3-4 by showing why he was a #1 pick, but I just see him as another Jamal Reynolds: No career due to injury.

On a side note, this was a nice clip of Allen Barbre on the Packers site going through his workout. (http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/05/08/1/) Lovat had things moving, and I'm interested to see if the players respond during long drives and having stamina to keep going. I'm hoping the injuries are also fewer this year.

stealthbomber
05-09-2009, 08:30 AM
What? Raji>Pickett, but Raji also has the pass rush chops and agility to swing out to DE, while Pickett holds the middle. In the 4-3, Pickett should NOT have had to face so many double teams, but he did considering that there was ZERO pass rush on his side from the RDE after Jenkins went down. He still had 48 tackles and 1.5 sacks. The under tackles did not show much in the pass rush which is what the team needed, though at least Jolly played in all 16 games and had 49 tackles and a pair of batted balls. Harrell played in 6 games and had 12 tackles. When Corey Williams was playing between Pickett and AK he had 7 sacks. I'm hoping the 3-4 will bring the pressure from the LBs, but also get the D-line in one-on-ones like the Steelers' D-line, which had 11 sacks last year in the regular season.

Raji>Pickett>Jolly>Mason Crosby>Harrell. ;D I'd love for Harrell to come out this year and blow the doors off the 3-4 by showing why he was a #1 pick, but I just see him as another Jamal Reynolds: No career due to injury.

On a side note, this was a nice clip of Allen Barbre on the Packers site going through his workout. (http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/05/08/1/) Lovat had things moving, and I'm interested to see if the players respond during long drives and having stamina to keep going. I'm hoping the injuries are also fewer this year.

I love Brad Jones. I think he will eventually turn out to be another 7th round gem find for the Packers, a la Donald Driver at pick #213.

I don't know that Matthews & Jones will be the 2 longterm OLBs for this 3-4 defense for years going forward, but I think it would be a good thing if they were. Of course Kampman is there now, and they have some hope for Jeremy Thompson there, but we'll see about him as he's never had a knack for getting to the QB very well.

PACKmanN
05-09-2009, 01:33 PM
What?
Pickett hasn't shown he can beat bigger guys? What OL are bigger than he is?

Harrell hasn't shown he can beat ANY guys.
Harrell hasn't shown he can DO anything.
We have not seen Harrell on the field.

If he gets and stays healthy, he has a chance to be a good DE in this scheme. But that's based on his measurables and what we hear, certainly not by anything he has actually produced on the NFL Gridiron.

both are new to the 3-4, Harrell has the ability to play as a 3-4 DE, Pickett does not. Actually, our D-coaches visit him during the break and liked what they saw from him.

btw, http://members.cox.net/cowboyswin/LeonardDavis.jpg

he handled everything that Pickett had to offer, twice.

TitleTown088
05-09-2009, 03:51 PM

Have you watched the Packers play? Pickett faces a double team also every snap. That was his role in Bate's scheme. He wasn't supposed " to beat" them, he was supposed to take up blockers, just like he will be in the new scheme.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/05/08/1/

This is a pretty cool vid if your curious how Packers players get jacked and tan.

Mr.Regular
05-09-2009, 04:14 PM
I like the Britney Spears song at the end of the workout haha.

PACKmanN
05-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Have you watched the Packers play? Pickett faces a double team also every snap. That was his role in Bate's scheme. He wasn't supposed " to beat" them, he was supposed to take up blockers, just like he will be in the new scheme.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/05/08/1/

This is a pretty cool vid if your curious how Packers players get jacked and tan.

Is it me, or did Barbre get fatter?

Whistler6
05-09-2009, 10:32 PM

Internet videos add 10..err...30 pounds.

Burger
05-10-2009, 01:23 AM
The low rep exercises are the ones that prevent injuries.

TitleTown088
05-10-2009, 12:37 PM

He's sure doesn't look too fat for an NFL lineman...

tjsunstein
05-10-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm gonna try that workout lol. Aaron Rodgers clapping during the lat pull was the best.

TigerWoods
05-10-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm gonna try that workout lol. Aaron Rodgers clapping during the lat pull was the best.

Yeah, Arod gave him some crap there, funny.
I don't have much hope for Barbre anymore to tell you the truth. Wish I was wrong.

BTW, what was that crazy stuff they were doing in that first part of the video?
Worthless IMO.

Manic Depressant
05-10-2009, 08:05 PM
I don't have much hope for Barbre anymore to tell you the truth. Wish I was wrong.

Worthless IMO.

Barbre has a chance to earn the RT spot so we'll see how he does there.

That stuff at the start was warm-up/stretching. Helps prevent injuries which is pretty important. ;)

TitleTown088
05-10-2009, 08:20 PM

Worthless IMO.

Yeah, that " crazy stuff" works on flexibility and agility, not worthless at all.

Yatta!
05-10-2009, 08:27 PM
I don't hold out much hope for Barbre either, I think he has to beat out one of the rookies to make the team.

I think we carried 9 lineman last year, so I'm guessing the guys who make the cut this year are:

Clifton - Spitz - Wells - Colledge - Giacomini

Then Meredith, Preston, Sitton and Lang as reserves.

Manic Depressant
05-10-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't hold out much hope for Barbre either, I think he has to beat out one of the rookies to make the team.

I think we carried 9 lineman last year, so I'm guessing the guys who make the cut this year are:

Clifton - Spitz - Wells - Colledge - Giacomini

Then Meredith, Preston, Sitton and Lang as reserves.

Clifton - Colledge - Spitz - Sitton - Giacomini

Meredith, Preston, Lang, Barbre as reserves.

TitleTown088
05-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Really? I have a great deal of hope for Barbre. I don't see how someone couldn't hope considering how much ability he has. His athletic ability for a guy his size is pretty remarkable.He came into the league very raw and I hope he can make a bit of a jump this season.

Also, I think you've seen Wells play his last game in a Packer uni.

mqtirishfan
05-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Worthless IMO.

Heh, you don't play sports, do you?

umphrey
05-10-2009, 10:42 PM
According to coach speak Barbre is our starting right tackle as of right now.

The guy is a beast. We knew he was a prospect that would take some time to develop. I've wanted to see him in the lineup for awhile now because I think his raw power would really boost our running game. I like him more as a guard, but he is definitely a player to watch in 2009.

I have no idea why anyone would give up on him right now, when we could use him the most. Even if he doesn't start the season as our stating RT, he could still see the field.

That guy is built like an all-pro. He's just young and raw. I believe he will put it all together, albeit at a slower pace. On the other hand, some guys never do.

TigerWoods
05-10-2009, 10:48 PM
That stuff at the start was warm-up/stretching. Helps prevent injuries which is pretty important. ;)
So I take it Harrell has never done that stuff eh?

TigerWoods
05-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Heh, you don't play sports, do you?
Right, golf is not a sport. You're right.

mqtirishfan
05-10-2009, 10:51 PM

I know I'm right.

cuzifelt1ikeit
05-11-2009, 12:42 PM

because we all know you golf...

TigerWoods
05-11-2009, 04:42 PM
because we all know you golf...
That's right. We hit a shot, walk. Are handed a club and told how far it is to the pin, then we hit another shot and...... walk again.

No forty times. No 20-yard shuttle. No 100-yard dash.
No bench press repetitions.
No vertical jumps.

We walk.

Oh, some (see John Daly) eat M&Ms and smoke WHILE performing this so-called sport. LOL.

TigerWoods
05-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Now, let's talk about football, the Packers shall we! Not that old guy #4.

Tyrell Sutton, does he make the team?
Can he be like Leon Washington or Darren Sproles for us? His timed speed may not have been that great at the combine, but on the field, he's obviously quick and fast enough to get past LBers all the time. And has GREAT hands.

Brad Jones, can he make the final cut, and if he does, what will our LB depth chart look like?
I already have higher hopes for him as an OLB than I do for Jeremy Thompson.

Jamarko Simmons, compare his measurables to Shannon Sharpe, and tell me if he can be a good TE in the NFL like Sharpe was. Or is he better suited for WR?

Jordy Nelson or James Jones, who had the better rookie season?

Matt Flynn, if he's really our #2 QB, did anybody watch him in the Tampa Bay game last year? Are we okay if we lose Rodgers for a few games? Wouldn't you have felt better with Jeff Garcia, Byron Leftwich, or even JP Losman, Kyle Boller, or Rex Grossman for a short period of time, than Matt Flynn?

Ryan Grant, why isn't he appreciated more? Sure, 2008 was not as good as 2007 for him, but A) he played on a bad hammy for half the year, B) the OL was crappier than in 2007, C) opposing defenses made it a priority to stop the run as they did not have the same respect for Rodgers as they had for Favre, D) his avg was higher than Matt Forte, LaDanian Tomlinson, Willie Parker, and Marion Barber, and he was 9th in the NFL in rushing yards. I'll take that any year.

umphrey
05-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Now, let's talk about football, the Packers shall we! Not that old guy #4.

Can he be like Leon Washington or Darren Sproles for us? His timed speed may not have been that great at the combine, but on the field, he's obviously quick and fast enough to get past LBers all the time. And has GREAT hands.

Brad Jones, can he make the final cut, and if he does, what will our LB depth chart look like?

Jamarko Simmons, compare his measurables to Shannon Sharpe, and tell me if he can be a good TE in the NFL like Sharpe was. Or is he better suited for WR?

Matt Flynn, if he's really our #2 QB, did anybody watch him in the Tampa Bay game last year? Are we okay if we lose Rodgers for a few games? Wouldn't you have felt better with Jeff Garcia, Byron Leftwich, or even JP Losman, Kyle Boller, or Rex Grossman for a short period of time, than Matt Flynn?

Ryan Grant, why isn't he appreciated more? Sure, 2008 was not as good as 2007 for him, but A) he played on a bad hammy for half the year, B) the OL was crappier than in 2007, C) opposing defenses made it a priority to stop the run as they did not have the same respect for Rodgers as they had for Favre, D) his avg was higher than Matt Forte, LaDanian Tomlinson, Willie Parker, and Marion Barber, and he was 9th in the NFL in rushing yards. I'll take that any year.

I like your videogame. I'll write my opinions later but I want to go play it some more :)

princefielder28
05-11-2009, 05:44 PM
That's right. We hit a shot, walk. Are handed a club and told how far it is to the pin, then we hit another shot and...... walk again.

No vertical jumps.

We walk.

Oh, some (see John Daly) eat M&Ms and smoke WHILE performing this so-called sport. LOL.

All I'm going to add is that golf is frickin' great. I wish I could do it everyday.

Note : that is in all seriousness

Mr.Regular
05-12-2009, 12:54 AM

I'm really interested in watching this guy battle it out for a spot. The top two are set in stone obviously, but it'll be a great 3 way battle for the final one or two spots. In the end I think Sutton makes the team, he offers a new type of back, and I don't see us risking losing him to someone else.

I'm pretty sure he was drafted on his special teams potential first and foremost. Cutting Tracy White hurt us, but if Jones can be a new special teams stud he makes the cut. He does have that 34 LB potential too.

I think he's better suited at WR, but who knows at this point... he could make the team as a #6 guy but he has an uphill battle ahead of him. I hope he can make the team because he has great potential by the looks of it.

I'd say Jones by a hair. Nelson is really solid but Jones' potential is higher IMO. I hope he stays healthy...our WR corps could really be dangerous if the top 4 guys all stay healthy.

I really hope Brohm straightens out and becomes the #2...if he doesn't than we're in trouble because Flynn looked terrible out there. Obviously we shouldn't have expected much from a 7th rounder, but I don't think he's the main problem... Brohm is. If Brohm still can't beat him out than we better hope ARod doesn't get hurt or our season goes in the toilet.

Yes, Grant is solid...but he seems too hot and cold...he shows flashes but then sometimes it seems like he goes down if a defender sneezes near him. Other times though he runs like a bulldozer. I want more consistency out of Grant, but I'll agree with you to a degree that we sometimes criticize him too much...two years ago he was lights out and last year he was still quite productive.

johbur
05-12-2009, 03:22 AM
So I take it Harrell has never done that stuff eh?

QFT.

Anywyas, Barbre at RT with Clifton at LT and Colledge, Spitz and Sitton would be a very athletic line. If Colledge takes over the LT with Lang in at LG, that'd be a line that could push the pile in middle, yet have O-linemen athletic enough for any sweep or counter you want to run.

Smokey
05-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Jason Hunter has signed with the Lions. Glad to see him land on his feet.

Yatta!
05-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Jason Hunter has signed with the Lions. Glad to see him land on his feet.

He could see the field quite a lot with them, good move. He's a nice player but he's never gonna be a superstar and didn't fit the 3-4 at all. Good luck to him even if it is with a divisional 'rival'.

stealthbomber
05-12-2009, 10:46 AM
I'll dive into this deeper later, after a few initial responses.
But quick direct question: Do you honestly believe our team is good enough to get to the Super Bowl this season?
My answer is yes without a %#@ing doubt.

cuzifelt1ikeit
05-12-2009, 11:11 AM

No vertical jumps.

We walk.

thanks for clearing that up. i never knew how golf was played.

jsa230
05-13-2009, 04:04 PM
In reality, the offense is among the top 5-10 in the league and i have no doubts that it is a superbowl caliber squad. The Packers Super bowl chances are on the shoulders of the defense. If Capers comes in and produces above average results and the d is actually credible, i can see the Packers as contenders in January. Of course, health is a huge factor. Good D+no injuries+AR=playoff team

Whistler6
05-13-2009, 04:19 PM
The last month of the schedule is going to be brutal. Considering who they are playing and where they are playing (conditions), we will find out a lot about this team in the last 4-5 games.

I think a fast start maybe 5-1 is crucial to them pushing for the playoffs..

umphrey
05-13-2009, 07:14 PM
If we stay healthy and get some help from our rookies we will go to the playoffs without a doubt. Anything can happen from there. I don't see us as a super bowl team until our OL starts playing at a higher level. One noticeable trend in super bowl teams is they can always run the ball and give their quarterback time. We didn't do either of those well last year and look what happened (there were other factors too).

princefielder28
05-13-2009, 08:07 PM
But quick direct question: Do you honestly believe our team is good enough to get to the Super Bowl this season?

This team can compete for the division, but the defense is far too shaky at this moment to think the team is Super Bowl caliber.

cuzifelt1ikeit
05-13-2009, 10:02 PM
If we stay healthy and get some help from our rookies we will go to the playoffs without a doubt. Anything can happen from there. I don't see us as a super bowl team until our OL starts playing at a higher level. One noticeable trend in super bowl teams is they can always run the ball and give their quarterback time. We didn't do either of those well last year and look what happened (there were other factors too).

i think part of our OL problems is being moved around alot. which i think will be solidified and will not have a revolving door type of thing other then someone like preston who can back up guard and center. but if someone goes down this year we wont be reshuffling the line. that is whats being talked about anyway. playing offensive line in highschool i know what its like when someone goes down and you slide into their position and it has a slight learning curve to it. it definitly throws you out of your comfort zone

johbur
05-15-2009, 03:52 AM

There are three parts to a team, along with the coaching and admin.

Admin wise, I think TT has drafted enough talent for the Packers to make a push, but he's missed out on some players that might have pushed them across the threshold of the Super Bowl, like Randy Moss. The Packers were in the NFC Title Game two years ago, losing in overtime to the eventual champions, and a good portion of that team is still on the roster.

The coaching is a touch too conservative for my tastes and I'm not certain if the failure to stick with the run game is because the run game sucks or because MM likes tossing the rock more. Which is the real offensive play caller: two years ago or last year? Play to win, not play not to lose. Dom Capers is a vast improvement coaching wise, and I like the addition of all the defensive coaches. Stock was a disaster last year, so anyone should be an improvement, hint Slocum, this means you need to be better!

The offense isn't set on the o-line, with Wells and Tauscher out and probably gone. Clifton not reliable health wise at LT, but he's starting quality. Sitton in at RG, Spitz in at C and Colledge, Moll, Giacomini, Barbre, Lang or Meredith at RT gives a hint at the unrest and competition at RT. A number of those guys could be the LG, with starter Colledge the leading candidate. Remember when the Packers had Wuensch at OG? TT learned his lesson on that eff-up and has stocked the line with quality guys. Our TEs don't impress me. Lee is the 10th best TE in the NFC. He produced less than Shankho of Minnie and both Clark and Olsen on the Bears had better years. Toss in Detroit having Pettigrew, and the Packers have fourth rated TE unit in the NFC North. I have high hopes for Finley as he came out young for his family and hopefully he'll have been slaving away in the weight room, the video room and with the jugs machine to be better, but he and his 6 catches didn't impress me last year. I dig the run game, and think that with Sitton, maybe Spitz and possibly Lang banging away in the middle of the line, along with Quinn thugging LBs, Grant will have a great year after being dinged up last year. The #2 and #3 spots are solid with B-Jack, Wynn and/or Lumpkin providing the depth. The WRs are the best in the division, with only AZ having a better situation in the NFC, at least with Anquan still there. I could seriously see our five from last year being kept and getting better, along with Jamarko Simmons taking TE Humphrey's roster spot. All that being said about the offense, QB is still why the Packers could contend this year. Aaron Rodgers was the #6 QB (rating-wise) in his first season as a starter. He wasn't able to close a couple games, but if the defense had not been the suck, he'd have had a winning season and likely taken the division from Minnie. The back-ups didn't impress me, but Aaron was there for the full slate and now they're another year wiser in the system, so maybe Brohm will look good enough to trade after this year.

The Defense is the telling spot for a SB contender. AZ showed if you come together at the end of the year, you can get to the SB and even have a shot to win it at the end. Dom Capers and new staff are great and all, but the players last year weren't special. Jenkins went out and there was no pressure on the QB. The LBs did not force fumbles or get picks or get sacks. The secondary was great, for the most part, but you can only cover for so long and opposing QBs had all day to convert third downs. The draft brought in two starters, which is both great in who is on the team, and bad in that they're rookies. The d-line looks very suited to a 3-4, so that is good. The LB quantity will hopefully produce the desired results. If the players pick up the scheme quickly, could be a good year. If they struggle with the mental part, might not be better than last year. The secondary still solid, especially if healthy. I'm fine with our top three CBs and the FS. Not sure if the Steelers SS will take the starting spot, or if Rouse or Bigby are going to show something if they're not banged up. I'd like to see Lee show up as the #3 or #4 CB, with Underwood looking good and Blackmon showing more than return skills.

The last part of the game is Special Teams. With having an extra 3 or 4 LBs, the ST should be better on coverage and the athletic nature of the O-line could be good on returns. Blackmon was great on returns for the most part, when healthy. Jordy could also step up here. The Packers HAVE to find a decent punter. I don't know whether Frost cost the Packers games, but he surely did not help them at all.Our division rivals have really good punters, and combined with the solidness of the Bears and Vikings defenses, it would be nice to be in that category of not losing the field position game due to our punter blowing dog. I'd like to see Crosby tighten up his game and kick for at least 85%, but he was really solid on kick-offs. ST might not take you to the SB, as the Lions have a great kicking game and they went 0-16, but not having a decent punter and a kicker that can convert that game winning FG can let games slip away that should have been won.

Toss all these aspects together and I think the team has the capacity of going deep into the playoffs if the ST issues are solved and the defense gels. Those two areas showed last year you can fall from 13-3 to 6-10, so if they are improved, maybe the reverse is as possible.

PACKmanN
05-16-2009, 12:40 AM
if this team learns to play mistake free, unlike last year, then yes we have a chance

Pack_Attack_4
05-18-2009, 03:37 PM
i think part of our OL problems is being moved around alot. which i think will be solidified and will not have a revolving door type of thing other then someone like preston who can back up guard and center. but if someone goes down this year we wont be reshuffling the line. that is whats being talked about anyway. playing offensive line in highschool i know what its like when someone goes down and you slide into their position and it has a slight learning curve to it. it definitly throws you out of your comfort zone

i jus finished watchin the packers vs queens the game when crosby missed the field goal at the end of the game for the win, our o line was brutal that game A rod was getting smoked every time he dropped back to throw, hopefully this year the o line plys better will prolly hav 2 new starters with spitz movin to C and tausher out at RT.

Whistler6
05-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Dr. Andrews to please sever the tendons in Brett Favre's shoulder

Smokey
05-19-2009, 02:16 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth?tag=nfc%20north%20weaknesses

Pretty valid criticism of the Packers switch to the 3-4. It's been said before but does call to mind the old doubts.

jackalope
05-19-2009, 06:39 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth?tag=nfc%20north%20weaknesses

Pretty valid criticism of the Packers switch to the 3-4. It's been said before but does call to mind the old doubts.

I'm still against the switch. They did a great job of bringing in coaches and players to make it a success, but I still have a lot of doubts. How Kampman plays is very much in the air, and if he fails, the defense probably fails. It seems like an overreaction to the team suffering major injuries for a season.

roughrider30
05-19-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm still against the switch. They did a great job of bringing in coaches and players to make it a success, but I still have a lot of doubts. How Kampman plays is very much in the air, and if he fails, the defense probably fails. It seems like an overreaction to the team suffering major injuries for a season.

As much as I agree with some of your points right there, I think the switch is going to be better for our defense in the long run and could lead to a very dominating defense in the future. This is also a good time for the switch as the core of our defense is still relatively young. It's also not going to be an overnight switch, and we will still be using plenty of 4-3 sets for Kampman.

Zycho32
05-19-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm curious; is everyone against the 3-4 having nightmares over what happened in the 80's- the LAST time the Packers ran a 3-4?

princefielder28
05-19-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm curious; is everyone against the 3-4 having nightmares over what happened in the 80's- the LAST time the Packers ran a 3-4?

I think the greatest concern is sticking your best front seven player, Aaron Kampman, into a position where he may be average instead of him being one of the league's best ends.

mqtirishfan
05-20-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm still very much for trading Kampman. I'd like Sergio Kindle in Kampman's role.

Manic Depressant
05-20-2009, 06:36 PM
I think the greatest concern is sticking your best front seven player, Aaron Kampman, into a position where he may be average instead of him being one of the league's best ends.

He'll still be playing ~50% of his snaps with his hand on the ground. People forget how often subpackages are used in the NFL. Plus, I remember reading that all but a few of Kampman's sacks over the past 3 years have been from the subpackages.

princefielder28
05-20-2009, 10:46 PM
He'll still be playing ~50% of his snaps with his hand on the ground. People forget how often subpackages are used in the NFL. Plus, I remember reading that all but a few of Kampman's sacks over the past 3 years have been from the subpackages.

It's still 50% of the time where you cannot utilize your greatest asset to its max. I hope the defense works out, but the question marks need to be proven as answers early on.

TitleTown088
05-21-2009, 12:25 PM
I think some of you underestimate how atheltic Kampan is. When you look at his numbers from the combine they're right up there with some of the "freak" atheletic guys who play elephant LBer in the league.
Considering the kind of guy Kampman is, I believe he'll play fine with the change of position.

princefielder28
05-21-2009, 12:59 PM
I think some of you underestimate how atheltic Kampan is. When you look at his numbers from the combine they're right up there with some of the "freak" atheletic guys who play elephant LBer in the league.
Considering the kind of guy Kampman is, I believe he'll play fine with the change of position.

Kampman's combine was all the way back in 2002. I hope that the transition works out for him, but his style of play and ability doesn't scream big time impact player standing up in a 3-4.

Yatta!
05-21-2009, 04:30 PM
I think Kampman can suceed but obviously you can never be sure when someone switches position. He's got the athleticism, he is a top notch pass rusher and we all know about his motor and willingness to chase someone down. I'm just as worried about Hawk and Barnett in the new scheme if I'm honest.

TitleTown088
05-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Kampman's combine was all the way back in 2002. I hope that the transition works out for him, but his style of play and ability doesn't scream big time impact player standing up in a 3-4.

And you think he has really dropped off that much since then in his cone drills, timed speed, and such?

I think I'm in the minority that believe he'll be fine, if not good, in the 3-4.

jackalope
05-21-2009, 05:33 PM
And you think he has really dropped off that much since then in his cone drills, timed speed, and such?

I think I'm in the minority that believe he'll be fine, if not good, in the 3-4.

I'm not saying he'll be bad. I think he definitely has the potential to be very good, but it's a very big risk to take with your team's best defensive player.

TitleTown088
05-21-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm not saying he'll be bad. I think he definitely has the potential to be very good, but it's a very big risk to take with your team's best defensive player. Woodson isn't changing positions... ;)

GB12
05-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Woodson isn't changing positions... ;)
Woodson isn't the best player on our defense... ;)

Boston
05-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Woodson isn't the best player on our defense... ;)

That's definately debatable.

TitleTown088
05-21-2009, 09:00 PM
That's definately debatable.

Absolutely. More than debatable.

jsa230
05-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Let us debate. . .

A case could be be made for a few guys like Barnett, Kampman, even Collins, but i think it goes to to woodson. Forget the defense, woodson is the best player on the team and yes that includes AR. Now, don't get me wrong, Rodgers has the potential to be one of the elite players in the league (Manning/Brady) but right now woodson is better. More valuable? probably not but its Chares Woodson for cryin' out loud. I don't really think its that debatable for the defense, Woodson owns all.

RCAChainGang
05-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Hey guys. I just thought I would ask your input on something.

I'm a bid LSU fan and I have always loved Matt Flynn. I understand he got some playing time this past year. (Couple of snaps) If you have an opinion I'd like to have it. He was on e of my favorite QB's and him beating out Brian Brohm is exciting. Tell me what you think.

jsa230
05-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I think the coaches liked his effort/attitude more than brohm and that is the only reason Flynn won the #2 job. Matt Flynn is a career backup.

RCAChainGang
05-21-2009, 11:57 PM
I think the coaches liked his effort/attitude more than brohm and that is the only reason Flynn won the #2 job. Matt Flynn is a career backup.

Thanks for the input. I just wondered what some of you guys thought. I just watched him a ton in college. I hope he gets a shot.

Mr.Regular
05-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Let us debate. . .

A case could be be made for a few guys like Barnett, Kampman, even Collins, but i think it goes to to woodson. Forget the defense, woodson is the best player on the team and yes that includes AR. Now, don't get me wrong, Rodgers has the potential to be one of the elite players in the league (Manning/Brady) but right now woodson is better. More valuable? probably not but its Chares Woodson for cryin' out loud. I don't really think its that debatable for the defense, Woodson owns all.
Agreed. Woodson is the best player on the defense. I don't think it's that close either. Especially considering Collins has only one elite year under his belt, Kampman is switching positions, and Barnett has injury concerns. Even without those issues I'd place Woodson at #1 and all things considered I have him as our best player overall at the moment.

Whistler6
05-22-2009, 02:20 AM
Agreed. Woodson is the best player on the defense. I don't think it's that close either. Especially considering Collins has only one elite year under his belt, Kampman is switching positions, and Barnett has injury concerns. Even without those issues I'd place Woodson at #1 and all things considered I have him as our best player overall at the moment.

I think debating who the "best" defensive player is hard because each position is different. But...As far as best play-makerrrr, it is very clearly Mr. Charles Woodson

Yatta!
05-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Put it to a vote.

Kampman's production and big play ability was limited by the injuries and poor performance from other guys on the DL. He's still our best player and one of the elite guys at his position, although Woodson runs him very close.

badgerbacker
05-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I definitely would say it's a toss up between Woodson and Kampman as to who is the best defensive player. I would probably say Kampman, but our D would be screwed if either player went down.

someone447
05-22-2009, 12:53 PM
I also think it's a tossup, but I think Woodson edges out Kampmann.

badgerbacker
05-22-2009, 12:56 PM
I should say, I'm basing this off of last year's defense. Perhaps we will be able to generate more of a non-Kampman pass rush with the 3-4, in which case Woodson would definitely take the cake.

Yatta!
05-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Looks like the Williams sisters will get a 4 week suspension from the NFL after all. Could be a big factor in the divsional race and makes our week 4 matchup even bigger.

AJHawk50
05-23-2009, 08:45 PM
I think that Aaron Kampman will be just fine in the new system, it may take a little bit but he will do well.

Burger
05-23-2009, 09:45 PM
I can see Kampman be our James Harrison. Harrison is not a fast linebacker in any means, he is just a very aware player. Like Aaron Kampman, he is one of our smartest players. Also like 99% of the team, his work ethic is very high.

TitleTown088
05-24-2009, 01:19 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/45924832.html
pretty good graphic by JSonline.

TitleTown088
05-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Who are some of the lower profile players that you feel could do well in the new scheme( Not Kampman, Wood, Jenkins, ect)?

I'm thinking Bigby could be a pretty good player at SS if he's healthy. should be fun to see him blitzing.

If Thompson gets PT he could do well too.

Burger
05-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Justin Harrell will be a god at defensive end , if he starts.

TitleTown088
05-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Justin Harrell will be a god at defensive end , if he starts.
I found that a bit contradictory.

He's a bigger name guy however.

Burger
05-24-2009, 01:56 PM
I found that a bit contradictory.

He's a bigger name guy however.

Harrell's chances of starting, are very high. He would give the chance of Bullrushing the Right tackle, and will help Kampman with rushing.

TitleTown088
05-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Harrell's chances of starting, are very high..

If he's healthy. The thing I found funny was not his chances of starting, but that you said. " he can be a god IF he starts".

Burger
05-24-2009, 02:02 PM
If he's healthy. The thing I found funny was not his chances of starting, but that you said. " he can be a god IF he starts".

Well, he's doing very good in the offseason conditioning program, which is stressing not being hurt. Harrell will start over Jolly.

Zycho32
05-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Isn't Jolly serving a suspension at the start of the season?

Burger
05-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Isn't Jolly serving a suspension at the start of the season?

I think its like 2 games. Justin Harrell is our starter... YES!

Yatta!
05-24-2009, 04:25 PM
I thought we had to wait until later in the summer to find out Jolly's fate.

TitleTown088
05-24-2009, 05:31 PM
I thought we had to wait until later in the summer to find out Jolly's fate.

Correct. Nothing is decided yet.

Mr.Regular
05-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Who are some of the lower profile players that you feel could do well in the new scheme( Not Kampman, Wood, Jenkins, ect)?

I'm thinking Bigby could be a pretty good player at SS if he's healthy. should be fun to see him blitzing.

If Thompson gets PT he could do well too.
I was thinking Thompson as well... And I don't know if I think he's going to excel but Im really keeping my eye on Hawk. He was very mediocre in the old scheme, and there were some rumblings that MIKE in the 43 would be a better fit for him. So Im really looking forward to seeing how he transitions to a new position because so far he hasn't impressed me but maybe this will get him going.

Yatta!
05-25-2009, 12:19 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/45873682.html

In line with what we're talking about. Details the new positional responsibilities. Looks like Bigby could be the one to benefit the most.

PACKmanN
05-25-2009, 12:34 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/45924832.html
pretty good graphic by JSonline.
there is no way Pickett and Jolly start over Raji and Harrell.

Pack_Attack_4
05-25-2009, 12:40 PM

Pickett will be the NT on opeaning day i think its gonna look like this

Raji Pickett Jenkins

so we will have our three best linemen on the field.

PACKmanN
05-25-2009, 12:41 PM
If we have Pickett has the starting NT than we're doomed.

princefielder28
05-25-2009, 12:55 PM

Harrell has done absolutely nothing to warrant consideration for a starting spot. If he ends up healthy and a rotational player, then that should be considered a successful season for himself.

TitleTown088
05-25-2009, 01:39 PM
If we have Pickett has the starting NT than we're doomed.

Pickett's job in the old scheme was to essentially eat up blockers, and he did a fine job of it when he was healthy. I think he could do a good enough job with it in this scheme as well. To think a Rookie is better qualified than him is not correct.

umphrey
05-25-2009, 06:36 PM
I agree he never was a penetrator but he could hold the spot...I'm fine with him there instead of Raji for the time being.

We have a nice mix of vets and rookies this year. We have a lot of players that are likely to see playing time so let the rookies rotate. Keep them fresh for a full season hopefully. This year we might last longer in games, throughout the season, in the cold, if we can rotate and keep people healthy.

I can't wait for preseason. There is a lot I want to see of the new players in NFL uni.s and what our defense looks like, schemes etc.

ChezPower4
05-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Harrell has done absolutely nothing to warrant consideration for a starting spot. If he ends up healthy and a rotational player, then that should be considered a successful season for himself.

Harrell staying healthy for a whole season would be an unexpected surprise

FLORIDA PACKER
05-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey guys, Been a long time since I've Posted here!

Hoping the 3-4 switch pays off this season!

I think our front 5 (excluding the Inside Backer spots) is gonna look something like this

LE- Harrell/Jolly/Raji Rotation (depending on how injury/law troubles go)

NT- Pickett/Raji Rotation

RE- Jenkins/Jolly/Harrell Rotations (Ditto)

Raji will see plenty of time on the field in the starting line up, and we should see him all over the line so we can get out top 3 Linemen out there.

LOLB- Clay Matthews/Brady Poppinga (I think Popps may start off manning the outside while Clay Gets acclimated and comes in on sure passing downs, but it wont be long till he takes over full time).

ROLB- Kampman/Jeremy Thompson (Kampman will see about 99% of the reps, but I think the coaches would like to see Thompson get a chance to show some pass rush ability from a stand up position).

If we catch a break on Jollys law troubles and/or Justin Harrells Injury ones our d-line looks in good shape, and our Linebacking core may be one of the deepest in the league.

Yatta!
05-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Rotoworld says Aaron Rouse is in danger of getting cut.

Shocker?

FLORIDA PACKER
05-27-2009, 10:28 AM
that is a little shocking, especially since thompson used a first day pick (3rd rounder I believe?) on him him just what 2 years ago? Plus the fact that he has flashed some decent ability when he's been given a chance. I know we have a pretty big log jam at safety but Keeping Collins, Bigby, Smith, and Rouse as our 4 would probably be the best thing to do, unless someone else turns some heads, I don't think Jarrett Bush can play safety in this D.

tjsunstein
05-27-2009, 10:28 AM

Shocker?

I'm not exactly shocked. Must mean Bigby is impressing coaches. That or they value carrying someone else at another position.

princefielder28
05-27-2009, 10:32 AM

Shocker?

With Bush's "versatility" and the drafting of Underwood, I could see Rouse being cut, no question. It may allow the team to keep an extra player at a position where they normally would be unable to. Rouse has shown some good spots, but my guess is the coaches are not seeing enough improvement to keep him on the team.