PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83

GB12
07-26-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm not going to watch a 10 minute video, but there is no debate. It's Rodgers by a mile.

ChezPower4
07-26-2009, 10:05 PM
We were better off with Rodgers last season

TitleTown088
07-26-2009, 10:48 PM
It's a ten min video but its well worth it. Bring up some great points, a few that I haven't sen mentioned.

GB12
07-26-2009, 11:48 PM
It's a ten min video but its well worth it. Bring up some great points, a few that I haven't sen mentioned.
I don't feel the need to hear any points when I already know the answer.

cvv84
07-27-2009, 11:14 AM
5 days to go!

jackalope
07-27-2009, 12:21 PM
zpC3IvQdrLY

This guy does a great job here explaing the whole Favre vs Rodgers debate.

Very good video. I know a lot of fans who honestly believe that losing Favre's "magic" was the reason we did so much worse.

ChezPower4
07-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Is anyone on here going to be attending training camp?

roughrider30
07-27-2009, 02:06 PM

I'm thinking about making the drive to check it out for a couple days. I've went the last couple years and loved it

ChezPower4
07-27-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm thinking about making the drive to check it out for a couple days. I've went the last couple years and loved it

Now that I don't live super far away from Green Bay, I may just do that this year. Thanks for the great idea.

TitleTown088
07-27-2009, 03:01 PM

I'm going to Vikings training camp... Before someone rips on me for doing so, I may be going to heckle Favre and the Vikings in general.

I'd go to Packers camp if it wasn't a 10 hour drive from where I currently live and I weren't going to the east coast for the rest of the summer.

This means I'm going to miss most of training camp and preseason games. Not cool.

roughrider30
07-27-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm going to Vikings training camp... Before someone rips on me for doing so, I may be going to heckle Favre and the Vikings in general.

I'd go to Packers camp if it wasn't a 10 hour drive from where I currently live and I weren't going to the east coast for the rest of the summer.

This means I'm going to miss most of training camp and preseason games. Not cool.

I'm actually closer to Vikes camp in Mankato too, but i just can justify making that drive to be around a bunch of fans dressed in the color purple :D

bigbluedefense
07-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Aaron Rodgers is a stud in the making. Im a huge fan.

Its not even debatable. Going with Rodgers last year was absolutely the right call.

bigbluedefense
07-27-2009, 07:35 PM
And a quick fantasy question.

Thoughts on Ryan Grant? I have him as a potential sleeper pick. Yes or no?

Burger
07-27-2009, 07:36 PM

He's a major sleeper.

bigbluedefense
07-27-2009, 07:41 PM
He's a major sleeper.

Im thinking about taking a lot of risks this year. "Reaching" for guys like Ryan Grant, Cedric Benson, Donnie Avery, Derrick Ward, etc.

cvv84
07-27-2009, 07:47 PM

I might go for a few days. I'm in the process of trying to obtain some in the fences passes like I managed to get a few years ago. That was awesome because you're right next to the practice field and players are walking right passed you.

cvv84
07-27-2009, 07:49 PM

I think he'll definetly be better than last year but I don't think he'll get more than 10 TDs.

bigbluedefense
07-27-2009, 08:01 PM
I think he'll definetly be better than last year but I don't think he'll get more than 10 TDs.

hmmm. any reason in particular why youre predicting only 10 TDs?

cvv84
07-27-2009, 08:38 PM
hmmm. any reason in particular why youre predicting only 10 TDs?

Well they still plan of using mostly zone blocking schemes again this year but they do want to run more power players. However our goaline and short yardage offense was terrible last year. We drafted a power FB but we'll likely have an entirely different looking right side of the line this year. I don't even know if he'll reach 10, I just think thats his ceiling this year.

JF4
07-27-2009, 10:40 PM

All it did for me was just remind me of how frustrating it was to watch the Packers last season.

And my thought's on Ryan Grant. I think he is a definite sleeper because I think he is going to come out of the gates a lot hungrier than last year. To me it looked like he was running scared the first part of the season, missing holes, running into tackles, lacked a burst, but then he slowly picked it up as the year went on. Obviously he didn't get as much help from his O-line as the previous year but he was, IMO, a shell of himself for at least half the games.

He got his $ last year, now he needs to prove he's worth it this year or I wouldn't be surprised if we found a replacement for the year after. He has to be thinking the same thing to himself because the NFL is all about what have you done for me lately. That hunger, mixed with most likely an improved o-line and what should be an improved passing game is why I think it should be a good year for him.

TitleTown088
07-27-2009, 10:49 PM

With Sitton and Babre likely to start on the right side the offensive line is built much better for the Run this season. Not to mention the OC and Mike M said they plan on establishing the run this season ( they do say that every off season though). I think he's a bit of a sleeper, but you have to remember than the Packers love to pass. The real packer to look at in fantasy is Aaron Rodgers.

PACKmanN
07-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Im thinking about taking a lot of risks this year. "Reaching" for guys like Ryan Grant, Cedric Benson, Donnie Avery, Derrick Ward, etc.

I wouldn't, the line looks like its built for the passing game, than the run. Clifton, Colledge, Wells, and Barbre are better pass blockers, while Spitz is the only run blocker we have.

TitleTown088
07-27-2009, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't, the line looks like its built for the passing game, than the run. Clifton, Colledge, Wells, and Barbre are better pass blockers, while Spitz is the only run blocker we have.
Sitton is likely to start at RT and he's a beast in the run game. Colledge is good at run blocking at the second level as well.

PACKmanN
07-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Sitton is likely to start at RT and he's a beast in the run game. Colledge is good at run blocking at the second level as well.

I would rather see someone else start at RT then Sitton. Anyone can be a good run blocker at the second level, linemen outweight them by 100 pounds.

edit: I just dont think Sitton has the feet movement to be a RT as a Pro; he is much more suited as a RG.

TitleTown088
07-27-2009, 11:30 PM
I would rather see someone else start at RT then Sitton. Anyone can be a good run blocker at the second level, linemen outweight them by 100 pounds.

edit: I just dont think Sitton has the feet movement to be a RT as a Pro; he is much more suited as a RG.
That was a mistype by me. Sitton is slated to be RG, not RT.

Blocking at the second level is not easy for a lineman to do, it takes more than 100 pounds. Its takes athleticism, which Colledge has plenty of.

Also, potential big blow for Da bears...

According to the Associated Press, Bears CB Charles Tillman's back surgery could keep him sidelined up to 10 weeks.
The negative end of the 4-10 week timeline would put Peanut out until the Bears' Week 5 bye. With three interdivision games in the first four weeks, that would be a crippling loss. Tillman will be placed on the camp/PUP list Friday. There appears to be an outside chance that he'll stay there into the season.

ChezPower4
07-28-2009, 01:23 AM
I also think that with the new o-line changes that Grant has a great chance to bounce back and have a very productive season. TT088 was on to something when he said the Packers like to pass.

TitleTown088
07-28-2009, 04:08 PM
No Favre to Vikings? Excellent.

Boston
07-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Good. Maybe now the healing can begin.

cvv84
07-28-2009, 04:40 PM
I'll believe it when the season is over. Never say never with Favre.

ChezPower4
07-28-2009, 07:47 PM
I really hope that this is for good. Favre would have lost a lot of points in my book had he gone and played for the Vikings.

GB12
07-28-2009, 09:00 PM
I really hope that this is for good. Favre would have lost a lot of points in my book had he gone and played for the Vikings.
He already did lose a lot of points in my book for pulling this **** in the first place. Actually going to the Vikings would have made it worse, but a ton of damage has been done already.

princefielder28
07-28-2009, 10:55 PM
What was/is the big deal about Favre going to the Vikings? He was a free agent who wanted to be in a situation where he could have one last chance at winning a Super Bowl. So what if it was the Vikings that he was going to. Last year the Packers made an obligation to Aaron Rodgers and that leaves Favre to do what he wants. But it's the Vikings!!! Who gives a damn! Yes the Vikings are a rival but there have been plenty of players who have switched to teams to their rival. (Johnny Damon went to the Evil Empire but look at it now, no one cares). The whole losing points in various people's books is really laughable. It's a big decision whether or not to continue a way of life that you've known for over 20 years and turning the book to retirement. Has it been drawn out too much? Of course but ESPN and other media networks are just as much to blame as Favre himself; they cover him because he sells even if he's not making any noise. I know this is a bit of a rant but it's annoying to come on here and continually read stupid **** like that.

Let's remember Favre as the player that brought relevance in football back to Green Bay and over that course of time he was one of the greatest to ever play the position of quarterback.

TitleTown088
07-29-2009, 12:24 AM
What was/is the big deal about Favre going to the Vikings? He was a free agent who wanted to be in a situation where he could have one last chance at winning a Super Bowl. So what if it was the Vikings that he was going to. Last year the Packers made an obligation to Aaron Rodgers and that leaves Favre to do what he wants. But it's the Vikings!!! Who gives a damn! Yes the Vikings are a rival but there have been plenty of players who have switched to teams to their rival. (Johnny Damon went to the Evil Empire but look at it now, no one cares). The whole losing points in various people's books is really laughable. It's a big decision whether or not to continue a way of life that you've known for over 20 years and turning the book to retirement. Has it been drawn out too much? Of course but ESPN and other media networks are just as much to blame as Favre himself; they cover him because he sells even if he's not making any noise. I know this is a bit of a rant but it's annoying to come on here and continually read stupid **** like that.

Let's remember Favre as the player that brought relevance in football back to Green Bay and over that course of time he was one of the greatest to ever play the position of quarterback.

Valid point, but Johnny Damon is no Brett Favre.

ChezPower4
07-29-2009, 02:29 AM
Most Red Soxs fans don't like Johnny Damon anymore.

princefielder28
07-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Valid point, but Johnny Damon is no Brett Favre.

It shouldn't matter that it's Brett Favre. Yeah he was the face of the franchise for a decade and a half, but after last offseason he had no obligation to the Packers after they shut the door on him. The Packers moved on and it's not fair to say where he can and can't play. Whether it's the best player on the roster or the 53rd man, if a team moves on and thinks they're better off without you, you have no reason to limit where you may play in the future because of your past connections.

Another thing, I hope they don't sign him to a one day contract so he can retire as a Packer. It's one of the stupidest things in sport, having a player "retire" with THEIR team.

jackalope
07-29-2009, 11:17 AM
It shouldn't matter that it's Brett Favre. Yeah he was the face of the franchise for a decade and a half, but after last offseason he had no obligation to the Packers after they shut the door on him. The Packers moved on and it's not fair to say where he can and can't play. Whether it's the best player on the roster or the 53rd man, if a team moves on and thinks they're better off without you, you have no reason to limit where you may play in the future because of your past connections.

Another thing, I hope they don't sign him to a one day contract so he can retire as a Packer. It's one of the stupidest things in sport, having a player "retire" with THEIR team.

You don't think Favre wanted to play specifically for the Vikings so he could stick it to Ted Thompson? I think the fact that he seems to want to get back at the organization is a large part of why people lost respect for him.

ChezPower4
07-29-2009, 12:46 PM
You don't think Favre wanted to play specifically for the Vikings so he could stick it to Ted Thompson?

That is why I was upset about the Favre thing. If he just didn't say anything about it I really wouldn't have cared.

cvv84
07-29-2009, 01:01 PM
I know it would never happen, but I think it would be awesome to sign Favre as a backup. Flynn and Brohm are iffy if we ever have to resort to them and we could trot Favre out there to take the final snaps of wins like they did when Doug Peterson was ending his career.

princefielder28
07-29-2009, 01:17 PM
You don't think Favre wanted to play specifically for the Vikings so he could stick it to Ted Thompson? I think the fact that he seems to want to get back at the organization is a large part of why people lost respect for him.

Part of Brett's motivation was to stick it to Ted Thompson but I would not say the main reason to play was based off revenge. Brett was treated unkindly by the organization before he left and I can not fault him for some of his ill will towards Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy.

ChezPower4
07-29-2009, 03:08 PM
I know it would never happen, but I think it would be awesome to sign Favre as a backup. Flynn and Brohm are iffy if we ever have to resort to them and we could trot Favre out there to take the final snaps of wins like they did when Doug Peterson was ending his career.

Brett would never except a backup role with the Packers. Plus that would be a media nightmare.

GB12
07-29-2009, 04:52 PM
I guess no matter what Favre does there will always be a group of fans sucking on his nuts.

JF4
07-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Part of Brett's motivation was to stick it to Ted Thompson but I would not say the main reason to play was based off revenge. Brett was treated unkindly by the organization before he left and I can not fault him for some of his ill will towards Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy.

Brett Favre brought that treatment upon himself by leaving the organization in a no win situation. If he would've handled the whole ordeal with some class and not hid behind all the rumors/******** that were flying around this would've been a much less tense situation.

cvv84
07-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Michael Oher signed which is good news for the Packers. Oher was the 23rd overall pick while Clay Matthews was the 26th.

princefielder28
07-29-2009, 09:31 PM
I guess no matter what Favre does there will always be a group of fans sucking on his nuts.

Think what you want

Ryan Grant made an appearance with Colin Cowherd recently, sounds pretty optimistic about the season

http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/player?id=4345672

ChezPower4
07-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Michael Oher signed which is good news for the Packers. Oher was the 23rd overall pick while Clay Matthews was the 26th.

It's amazing how many first rounders are still unsigned. I think we can get Raji signed pretty quickly once someone around him signs. It seem like no one in the Top 10 want to be the first to flinch and sign first.

cvv84
07-30-2009, 10:58 AM
It's amazing how many first rounders are still unsigned. I think we can get Raji signed pretty quickly once someone around him signs. It seem like no one in the Top 10 want to be the first to flinch and sign first.

Heyward-Bey finally signed and Jason Smith is rumored to be close to a deal. I'm not that concerned with getting Raji in camp on time, its Matthews that I want in camp ASAP.

Josh Freeman has been also rumored to have signed. Luckily we don't have an early camp this year.

TitleTown088
07-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Heyward-Bey finally signed and Jason Smith is rumored to be close to a deal. I'm not that concerned with getting Raji in camp on time, its Matthews that I want in camp ASAP.

Josh Freeman has been also rumored to have signed. Luckily we don't have an early camp this year.
Raji needs to learn two positions and Matthews isn't even starting as of now...

umphrey
07-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Matthews was signed per JSOnline blog.

According to an NFL source with knowledge of the deal, the base portion of the five-year deal is worth $10 million and there will be an opportunity for him to earn $13.275 million overall.

Those numbers sound really good for us

cvv84
07-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Raji needs to learn two positions and Matthews isn't even starting as of now...

Raji just eats up blockers and he's been practicing primarily at end - which is where he's going to play the majority of the season. Matthews missed a ton of time at the OTAs and yes, he isn't a starter, all the more reason to get into camp on time.

cvv84
07-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Matthews was signed per JSOnline blog.

Those numbers sound really good for us

I'm just glad they got him signed in time. 1 to go!

RyanBraun8
07-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Raji just eats up blockers and he's been practicing primarily at end - which is where he's going to play the majority of the season. Matthews missed a ton of time at the OTAs and yes, he isn't a starter, all the more reason to get into camp on time.

Raji needs to be in camp just as much if not more than Matthews. He has never played an end before or in this scheme. Defensive Lineman are the most important part of the defense. If they don't know what they are doing, or the proper technique it doesn't matter how much Matthews practices his @ss will be on the ground. LB's aren't able to make plays if the DL can't keep the offensive line off them. Can't blitz or make reads that well if the DE doesn't his job.

As for the Favre thing, I'm happy he did the right thing and retired. Not because he was going to play for the Vikings but because this season he retired for the right reason and is not able to play at the high level that he once did. Going to the Vikings isn't what would really hurt his legecy but him going there and costing them the season like he did for the Jets last year when his arm broke down. I love how fast people turn their backs on a guy after all he did for the franchise. Who gives a #### if he loves the game and had a hard time giving it up, look at Jerry Rice. I hate that he flipped-flopped so many times and we had to listen to Favre stuff clutter up ESPN everyday for the past few years but I still have great respect for the guy and am glad that I have been able to grow up watching him starting when I was 4 or 5. Not all football fans got as lucky as we all did being able to watch a top 5 QB of all-time for what 16 seasons.

I'm not a Favre lover by any means I was all for Aaron Rodgers being the starting QB. Still it just amazes me how fast people can turn on people and completely forget all that someone like Favre did for us. Those are differnetly TRUE Packer fans!!! ha

cvv84
07-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Raji needs to be in camp just as much if not more than Matthews. He has never played an end before or in this scheme. Defensive Lineman are the most important part of the defense. If they don't know what they are doing, or the proper technique it doesn't matter how much Matthews practices his @ss will be on the ground. LB's aren't able to make plays if the DL can't keep the offensive line off them. Can't blitz or make reads that well if the DE doesn't his job.

Its going to be a much easier transition for Raji than Matthews in my opinion. 99% of our defense is new to the 3-4 defense. Its much easier for a Dlineman in the scheme because they're only asked to occupy blockers. With Matthews you're taking him and asking him to become a pass rusher. He has by far much more responsibilites to learn with all the different blitz schemes and disguises that go along with the LBs in the 3-4.

RyanBraun8
07-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Also I didn't mean that true Packer thing as a knock on anyone here, more for the absolute idiots who post on JSOnline, The places you can't read more than 2 comments written by all those ignorant,extreme TT haters. Ugh so many words come to mind when trying to explain a lot of those people.

RyanBraun8
07-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Its going to be a much easier transition for Raji than Matthews in my opinion. 99% of our defense is new to the 3-4 defense. Its much easier for a Dlineman in the scheme because they're only asked to occupy blockers. With Matthews you're taking him and asking him to become a pass rusher. He has by far much more responsibilites to learn with all the different blitz schemes and disguises that go along with the LBs in the 3-4.

I'm not worried about that because he did a lot of that at USC. He play OLB, put his hand down and pass rushed, did a lot of blitzing and wasn't bad in coverage. Thats one of the reasons why TT liked him so much because we really fit the role they want him to play. I will give you that though about the DL because Capers system is only one gap resonsibility unlike the Patriots when they have to man two gaps but overall their job is the most important to how well the defense plays.

cvv84
07-30-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm not worried about that because he did a lot of that at USC. He play OLB, put his hand down and pass rushed, did a lot of blitzing and wasn't bad in coverage. Thats one of the reasons why TT liked him so much because we really fit the role they want him to play. I will give you that though about the DL because Capers system is only one gap resonsibility unlike the Patriots when they have to man two gaps but overall their job is the most important to how well the defense plays.

Yes but he wasn't playing 3-4 in college. He was more hybrid but he was only a 1 year starter and needs to learn the different LB assignments.

I know the Dlineman's job is important, buts is far less technical and Raji has practiced alot more than Matthews, who was dealing with a hamstring injury for the majority of the OTAs.

TitleTown088
07-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Hopefully DHB's contract dosen't make Rajis contract go up.

cvv84
07-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Hopefully DHB's contract dosen't make Rajis contract go up.

Makes me sick that he's making more that Greg Jennings.

RyanBraun8
07-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Yes but he wasn't playing 3-4 in college. He was more hybrid but he was only a 1 year starter and needs to learn the different LB assignments.

I know the Dlineman's job is important, buts is far less technical and Raji has practiced alot more than Matthews, who was dealing with a hamstring injury for the majority of the OTAs.

Good thing is that we will probably run a lot of 4-3 also or at least that is what it sounds like. Make sense because they still don't have all the right players for the 3-4 scheme. It does suck that Clay had some injury problems, people say he isn't going to start but I'd have to disagree if he picks everything up fastand is looking good. He is TT's guy

princefielder28
07-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Makes me sick that he's making more that Greg Jennings.

Why do that make you sick? I could understand if you were an Oakland fan, but the fact that Jennings is making less than DHB is a positive for us and laughable for Oakland.

cvv84
07-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Why do that make you sick? I could understand if you were an Oakland fan, but the fact that Jennings is making less than DHB is a positive for us and laughable for Oakland.

Because Jennings earned the money as opposed to Heyward-Bey. Why else?

ChezPower4
07-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Because Jennings earned the money as opposed to Heyward-Bey. Why else?

This just make Al Davis look like a total tool. I don't see any reason why people are upset, it's hilarious that Davis would shove out that kinda cash for a rookie.

cvv84
07-30-2009, 05:37 PM
This just make Al Davis look like a total tool. I don't see any reason why people are upset, it's hilarious that Davis would shove out that kinda cash for a rookie.

I'm not upset, its just laughable how profane the rookie contracts have gotten.

PACKmanN
07-30-2009, 05:37 PM
because if you guys were GJ then you would be upset. Its horrible how a proven WR is making less then a track star.

RyanBraun8
07-30-2009, 05:38 PM
I think it's laughable, NFL should have a rookie cap and until they do I won't feel bad about rookies busting with huge contracts. Prices in sports are getting to be outragious

princefielder28
07-30-2009, 05:39 PM
because if you guys were GJ then you would be upset. Its horrible how a proven WR is making less then a track star.

it's the system though, not like this is something new...luckily this year they have a chance to change all that.

ChezPower4
07-30-2009, 05:41 PM

Jennings' deal was at market value so I can see where maybe he's upset but we paid the right amount for the production that he's given us as well as what we expect from him in the future.

cvv84
07-30-2009, 05:41 PM

Exactally. I remember when Vernon Davis signed he was the top paid TE in the entire NFL. Over guys like Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates.

TitleTown088
07-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Jarmarko Simmons cut. :(

GB12
07-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Jarmarko Simmons cut. :(
Ha. So many here were all over him. I remember some even thought he could beat out Ruvell Martin, which was ridiculous.

cvv84
07-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Of all the Green Bay Packers' draft choices, there was no one who needed to be in on time more than first-round linebacker Clay Matthews.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52124162.html

I wish there was a whistling smiley.

TitleTown088
07-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Ha. So many here were all over him. I remember some even thought he could beat out Ruvell Martin, which was ridiculous.
Probbaly, but I still love him for some odd reason. Swain has a long shot to make the 53 though.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52120152.html

Tauscher still in consideration...

Haha, because JSonline is always correct? Right?

We will bring the Lombardi Trophy back to Lombardi (Ave.), where it belongs."

Murphy with a bit of a bold prediction.

RyanBraun8
07-30-2009, 11:27 PM

Lol, dang...well guess you won that arguement, I'll take my defeat like a man :( ha but i still stick to my guns and think Raji.

TitleTown088
07-30-2009, 11:53 PM
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2009/07/30/1/

Front office financial hire.

GB12
07-31-2009, 12:05 AM
I doubt Swain makes it. Go another year on the practice squad and then we'll see.

umphrey
07-31-2009, 12:10 AM
It is more important to get Raji in there right away IMO. He plays in the trenches - he's only going to get better smashing heads with other NFL talents. Matthews job is more cerebral, thus he can learn and improve more so than Raji with just a playbook and no-pads workouts and practicing by himself.

ChezPower4
07-31-2009, 12:12 AM
I doubt Swain makes it. Go another year on the practice squad and then we'll see.

Even then it still may be a long shot WR is probably our deepest position on our team. So I have a hard time believing a fringe player will make it into the top 5. If he's a really good special teamer than that would really help his cause.

TitleTown088
07-31-2009, 12:25 AM

I'm not implying he will, but he's got a shot. The kid is a bit of a burner.

princefielder28
07-31-2009, 01:36 PM
What are everyone's thoughts about Scott's analysis of the Packers' draft?

GB12
07-31-2009, 01:42 PM
I didn't think it was worth the read for Packer fans. He didn't say anything new or interesting. Maybe if you haven't followed the Packers at all it'd give a good overview, but I gained nothing from reading it. Of course it doesn't help that it came out more than 3 months after the draft happend either.

TitleTown088
07-31-2009, 02:32 PM

I hate to say it , but there were a few obvious mistakes in it I noticed. Hopefully that grade pans out, he really liked the midround picks.

cvv84
07-31-2009, 03:40 PM

I think it was pretty accurate but nothing that a Packers fans didn't know already. It was at least better than last years where there was no mention of the Ryan Grant acquisition yet Scott, a Vikings fans, factored in the Jared Allen trade into the Vikings grade. Also like last year, the Packers analysis was one of the last ones done.

TitleTown088
07-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Barnett to PUP, didn't pass physcial.

cvv84
07-31-2009, 04:48 PM
Mark Wahle expected to retire.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/31/wahle-expected-to-retire/

TitleTown088
07-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Mark Wahle expected to retire.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/31/wahle-expected-to-retire/
Meanwhile Rivera is doing what?
Man, TT is an idiot. Why did he let them go?

cvv84
07-31-2009, 08:09 PM

The only problem I have is that we could have affored to keep Wahle and Shaper at the time. I never got why people made such a stink over Rivera leaving in free agency. I think he was 33 or 34 years old at the time and was clearly on the downside of his career.

But for Wahle I felt like we could have keep him for another 2 years while we developing some younger guys. Sharper would have been nice to team with Collins for a year. Even though Collins has developed over the past 4 seasons, it would have been nice to let him learn from one of the best in the game. Maybe Collins wouldn't be so inconsistant from year to year that way.

GB12
07-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Barnett to PUP, didn't pass physcial.
Wait, what. That can't be right. He can't play in the first 6 games if it is. We wouldn't put him on the PUP list just because he didn't pass a physical.

cvv84
07-31-2009, 09:17 PM
Wait, what. That can't be right. He can't play in the first 6 games if it is. We wouldn't put him on the PUP list just because he didn't pass a physical.

The training camp PUP list is different than the PUP list for the regular season.

Brad Jones also failed his physical and was placed on the PUP list to start camp.

mqtirishfan
08-01-2009, 01:47 AM

My sarcasm senses are tingling.

bearsfan_51
08-01-2009, 01:51 AM
It's a precautionary move. You can't put a player on the PUP list after training camp starts. They can take him off at any point before the regular season.

Although it does indicate that there is an outside chance he might make the regular season list, or they wouldn't bother.

cvv84
08-01-2009, 12:00 PM
So much for Raji's declaration that he would be in camp on time.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

PACKmanN
08-01-2009, 03:20 PM
So much for Raji's declaration that he would be in camp on time.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml
right because the prospects that haven't signed have nothing to do with it...

cvv84
08-01-2009, 03:28 PM
right because the prospects that haven't signed have nothing to do with it...

Well no shitt Captian Obvious. Raji said that he wouldn't be a camp holdout. Guys have to sign. Alex Mack was the 3rd 1st rounder to sign yet nobody had signed around him.

PACKmanN
08-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Well no shitt. But Raji said that he wouldn't be a camp holdout.

because no one could have excepted this to happen. He can't control players ahead of him not signing. Be realistic....

btw, Jones and Swain are just going wild.

cvv84
08-01-2009, 03:42 PM
because no one could have excepted this to happen. He can't control players ahead of him not signing. Be realistic....

btw, Jones and Swain are just going wild.

Who cares? Players have to sign at some point. You can just go from 1-32 in order. Be a leader, not a follower.

Burger
08-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Stuff like this is why I want a rookie salary cap.

cvv84
08-01-2009, 05:28 PM
http://www.packers.com/news/blogs/2009_training_camp_blog/

The first practice is in the books. Looks like from center over they're going to go with the best combination of players. I just hope they don't run the competition down to the wire like in years past.

PACKmanN
08-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Who cares? Players have to sign at some point. You can just go from 1-32 in order. Be a leader, not a follower.

How can he be a follower when rumors are that Crabtree, taken a pick later then Raji, wants top 3 money? Plus, why is Raji the bad guy when 6 other players in the top 10 havent signed their deals?

Also, that is how its always been in the top 10, it went in order.

cvv84
08-01-2009, 08:45 PM
How can he be a follower when rumors are that Crabtree, taken a pick later then Raji, wants top 3 money? Plus, why is Raji the bad guy when 6 other players in the top 10 havent signed their deals?

Also, that is how its always been in the top 10, it went in order.

Thanks Captain Obvious.

Boston
08-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks Captain Obvious.

Do you enjoy asking rhetorical questions?

Whistler6
08-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Man...It's been a while since I've been on. Busy summer. Anyways, I forgot how much love there is in this forum. Must be the slow summer with nothing else to talk about (besides Favre coming or going). I'm getting restless too!

By the way, Tavaris Jackson went down with a MCL sprain today. Shhh whisper, Favre.....

AJHawk50
08-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Pro Football Talk.com reports that the Packers have been warned about tweets (Twitter), and that the price to pay is somewhat heavy:

As the NFL continues to gets its arms around the new technology that more and more players are embracing, the Packers plan to law down the law — and raid the wallets — of anyone on the team who uses it during an official function.

According to the Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, any Packer who uses Twitter while on the clock will be fined the maximum amount of $1,701.

So running back Ryan Grant made it clear on his own Twitter page that he won’t be posting updates while at work. “Expect tweets in the morning before we go to work, possibly around lunch time and at night once we done,” Grant said. “I don’t want that heavy fine.”

The fact that the Twitter page includes reference to the time that each update is posted, it’ll be easy for teams to prove that a tweet was added at a time when Twitter was forbidden.

Still, we figure that plenty of guys will bend the rules, and then some.

ChezPower4
08-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Has anyone on here been to one of the Training Camp practices yet?

umphrey
08-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Woodson likes our off season and the new defense a lot. For some reason I value his opinion more than most of the over-optimistic coach speak we hear this time of year.

Woodson was also open about his preference for Capers' scheme over the bland 4-3 run by former coordinator Bob Sanders. Woodson said the Packers were "absolutely" better just because of the switch.

"You guys have watched us in this defense for the last three years and when you watched our games, I'm sure you could call out what we were running a lot of times," Woodson said. "It's one thing for things to look the same every play but you can't just run the same thing every play. So this defense gives us a great chance to give the offense different looks, move around a little bit, just showing them different things, throw them off-balance. So it's a defense you can have a lot of fun in. Of course, there is a lot to it so you definitely have to be on your Ps and Qs as far as making your calls and making sure everybody's on the same page. But when everything's clicking, it's a very, very fun defense."
Link (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/52307587.html)

Jenkins has been getting rave reviews so far. Matthews, Hawk, Bigby to some extent as well. Barbre doesn't look to have much competition at RT at this time. And Jeremy Thompson isn't getting talked up like he was in the OTAs.

GB12
08-02-2009, 11:30 PM
So it turns out we don't have to give the Jets back a 7th rounder.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52320032.html

I have no idea how or why it changed, and that article really doesn't explain it, but I'll take it I guess.

TitleTown088
08-02-2009, 11:55 PM
So it turns out we don't have to give the Jets back a 7th rounder.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52320032.html

I have no idea how or why it changed, and that article really doesn't explain it, but I'll take it I guess.
Hmm.. Weird. I'll take it though.

TitleTown088
08-03-2009, 12:17 AM
h Mike McCarthy. "(Jenkins) may be the best or one of the best players on our football team," McCarthy said. "Cullen Jenkins is a difference-maker." He's going to dominate this season. I'm actually relatively excited about the DEs this season.

ChezPower4
08-03-2009, 12:26 AM
He's going to dominate this season. I'm actually relatively excited about the DEs this season.

I'll be more excited once Raji gets into camp.

TitleTown088
08-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Matthews has moved ahead of Thompson and is working with the ones.

1st injury: Jolly hurt his ankle and walking around in a boot.

ChezPower4
08-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Matthews has moved ahead of Thompson and is working with the ones.

1st injury: Jolly hurt his ankle and walking around in a boot.

That's good news, I read that in a report yesterday. Hopefully he can continue to play well and get better and start for us week 1 against Chicago.

TitleTown088
08-03-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't know how you read that yesterday considering today was his first day starting with the ones? He only came in for Thompson when he was injured yesterday. According to MM, Clay and Thompson are splitting with the ones.

ChezPower4
08-03-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't know how you read that yesterday considering today was his first day starting with the ones? He only came in for Thompson when he was injured yesterday. According to MM, Clay and Thompson are splitting with the ones.

He was playing with the first team yesterday because Thompson was hurt for a while. It was a short stint with the # 1's but reps none the less.

TitleTown088
08-03-2009, 07:14 PM
He was playing with the first team yesterday because Thompson was hurt for a while. It was a short stint with the # 1's but reps none the less. That is what I just stated in the previous post...

Boston
08-04-2009, 03:35 AM
Wynn, who is arguably the team's best pass blocking running back, keeps having to take on Bishop, and he admits he's getting tired of it. Bishop came so hard one time, that when he collided with Wynn his helmet went flying like it was shot out of a cannon. Bishop isn't the only guy who can blitz, but when you line him up with the team's best, he's not very far from the front.

"When you're a running back, you're basically standing flat-footed and you have a guy who can run into your chest and catch you off balance or if you lean looking for the bull rush, he can run by you," Wynn said. "Desmond Bishop, he has a variety of different things. He does the bull rush good, but he's also quick to get a running back to set his feet and beat him either way."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52391717.html

I really hope we find a way to incorporate Bishop into the mix. Everybody kind of thought he'd succeed in the 3-4, and it's nice to hear that he's performing well.

drowe
08-04-2009, 09:43 AM
so, sounds like the big winners of training camp so far are; Cullen Jenkins, Deshawn Wynn, Clay Matthews and Desmond Bishop.

Really wish somebody on the o-line would step up. but, plenty of time for that.

drowe
08-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Has anyone on here been to one of the Training Camp practices yet?

i think i'm gonna try to go tonight at 6:30. i'll obviously report back if i do. probably tomorrow morning.

TitleTown088
08-04-2009, 11:02 AM
so, sounds like the big winners of training camp so far are; Cullen Jenkins, Deshawn Wynn, Clay Matthews and Desmond Bishop.

Hawk and Woodson too.

Do let us know Drowe. I'd like to hear some opinions outside of JSonline and GBPG.

drowe
08-04-2009, 11:17 AM
yeah, but i really like jsonline's coverage. they really seem to gear it towards the hardcore fans.

tjsunstein
08-04-2009, 11:56 AM
The Packers are again using simulated crowd noise (and the screams of one zealous kid in the stands) during a short team drill. QB Aaron Rodgers had two snaps, a hand off to RB Ryan Grant and a long toss to WR James Jones, who beat CB Charles Woodson.
(I love our WR's. Good to see everyone is showing up.)

Packers QB Aaron Rodgers is getting chased around a lot during 11-on-11 drills. CB Al Harris had a sure sack.
(Swarming defense or confused offense and lack of protection?)

Packers coach Mike McCarthy's post-practice injury report: RB Brandon Jackson bruised his shoulder, CB Brandon Underwood has back spasms and OL Duke Preston jammed his back and was able to return to practice.
(Nothing good here.)

TitleTown088
08-04-2009, 12:03 PM
yeah, but i really like jsonline's coverage. they really seem to gear it towards the hardcore fans.

I enjoy it too. I do however believe that Tom pelissero of GBPG does a better job updating with the twitter.

For the record, in TT's press conference today he wouldn't deny Mike Vick as an option and said they discussed " a number of player options".

I still don't see it happening.

princefielder28
08-04-2009, 12:47 PM
I enjoy it too. I do however believe that Tom pelissero of GBPG does a better job updating with the twitter.

For the record, in TT's press conference today he wouldn't deny Mike Vick as an option and said they discussed " a number of player options".

I still don't see it happening.

If Aaron was to get hurt during the preseason i could see Vick as an option but outside of that scenario, there's little reason to bring aboard. Vick's inability to consistently distribute the ball doesn't fit too well with our offense.

ChezPower4
08-04-2009, 01:44 PM
If Aaron was to get hurt during the preseason i could see Vick as an option but outside of that scenario, there's little reason to bring aboard. Vick's inability to consistently distribute the ball doesn't fit too well with our offense.

That's why I don't think we'll ever bring in Vick. Even if Rodgers got hurt I still don't think that we would bring him in.

TitleTown088
08-04-2009, 03:04 PM
FCOoADWuezY

He can still move for an old guy.

drowe
08-04-2009, 03:25 PM
That's why I don't think we'll ever bring in Vick. Even if Rodgers got hurt I still don't think that we would bring him in.

yup, i thought of vick as a backup option too. but, if Aaron went down:
A-we'd be f'd in the a.
B-a better fit could be found than michael vick.

PACKmanN
08-04-2009, 07:04 PM
cant we do the things MM and TT have in mind with Vick with Martin instead? Martin a cheaper option and comes with less negative media attention then what Vick would bring.

GB12
08-04-2009, 08:39 PM
cant we do the things MM and TT have in mind with Vick with Martin instead? Martin a cheaper option and comes with less negative media attention then what Vick would bring.
Martin, like Ruvell Martin? Because no, he absolute could not do things Vick could.

mqtirishfan
08-04-2009, 08:46 PM

That's like asking if we could do the same things with Atari Bigby that we could with Ed Reed.

GB12
08-04-2009, 08:51 PM
That's like asking if we could do the same things with Atari Bigby that we could with Ed Reed.
More like Nick Barnett and Ed Reed.

PACKmanN
08-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Martin, like Ruvell Martin? Because no, he absolute could not do things Vick could.

Well if we sign him to be a back up qb would be dumb. Im speaking in terms of the wildcat and playing WR on our team.

GB12
08-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Well if we sign him to be a back up qb would be dumb. Im speaking in terms of the wildcat and playing WR on our team.
Well he still wouldn't at all match Vick for that.

Really I hope we don't use any of that kind of **** though.

ChezPower4
08-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Well he still wouldn't at all match Vick for that.

Really I hope we don't use any of that kind of **** though.

I wouldn't mind using the Wildcat. It is a package that with the right players can create a lot of miss matches for an offense. Which is what all offenses try to do in the first place.

TitleTown088
08-05-2009, 02:02 AM
Reprters were saying Hawk was having a good camp so far..

If they can say that and then say this...

Greg_A_Bedard - Tonight's practice may go down as the night Desmond Bishop lauched a full-scale assault on A.J. Hawk's job
Bishop must be having one hell of a camp.

princefielder28
08-05-2009, 11:42 AM
It's laughable to see the money Eli Manning got today. Sure glad that Aaron is locked up at a better price and is a bigger, more positive difference maker at the position than Eli.

Sniper
08-05-2009, 11:45 AM
It's laughable to see the money Eli Manning got today.

but HE HAZ A SUPER BOWLZ RING!!!!!ELEVENTYONE!

TitleTown088
08-05-2009, 02:19 PM
but HE HAZ A SUPER BOWLZ RING!!!!!ELEVENTYONE!
^
What he said. SUPER BOWL RING!

Rodgers was absolutely a bargain. Heck, Cassel got a bigger deal than Rodgers.

drowe
08-06-2009, 08:30 AM
getting disproportionatly excited for some preseason action. really want to see how the team takes shape with all the position battles. some random (and maybe stupid) questions:

1-any chance Jermichael Finley gets the starting TE job this year? or is he still a year or 2 away?

2-who is the legit leading candidate to be the starting RT this year?

3-seems with Deshawn Wynn having a good camp, Brandon Jackson runs the risk of not making the team....correct?

jackalope
08-06-2009, 10:46 AM
getting disproportionatly excited for some preseason action. really want to see how the team takes shape with all the position battles. some random (and maybe stupid) questions:

1-any chance Jermichael Finley gets the starting TE job this year? or is he still a year or 2 away?

3-seems with Deshawn Wynn having a good camp, Brandon Jackson runs the risk of not making the team....correct?

I would expect Lee to keep the starting job for this year, but Finley should have a much bigger role this season than last.

I've never really been a big Wynn fan, but even if he passes Jackson, Jackson would still need to get beat out by Sutton or Lumpkin, which I don't see happening.

TitleTown088
08-06-2009, 10:52 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/06/report-packers-are-looking-at-signing-vick/

More vick chatter.

ChezPower4
08-06-2009, 03:02 PM

I think Lee will be our starting TE this season. I think that Finley will show this year that he's a better big play threat than Lee. If Finley improves his blocking I think he'll be our 2010 starter at TE.

Barbre looks like he's going to win the starting job a LT.

TitleTown088
08-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Barbre looks like he's going to win the starting job a LT.
I think clifton might have something to say about that...

GB12
08-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Really, I want Lee to be our starting TE. Use him as the starter and bring in Finley for specific packages. I'd like to see a 65-35 split in favor of Lee in single TE sets.

ChezPower4
08-06-2009, 04:17 PM
I think clifton might have something to say about that...

I meant RT :P

TitleTown088
08-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Humphrey busted him arm and Clay hurt his hammy again. Weak.

ChezPower4
08-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Well Harrell is still healthy.....

jsa230
08-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Its A Miracle!

tjsunstein
08-07-2009, 02:52 PM
During 11-on-11 LB Brady Poppinga is playing the ROLB spot for LB Clay Matthews and LB Jeremy Thompson.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy is focused on defense as both offensive and defensive squads do separate walkthroughs.

AJHawk50
08-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Packers backup QB wears glove because of excessive amount of sweat

An excessive amount of sweat is the reason Packers third-string quarterback Brian Brohm can be seen wearing a glove on his throwing hand. Brohm had a pair of fumbles last year in the exhibition season and blamed them on the perspiration that accumulates on his hands. He said he started wearing a glove during the practices before his final game at Louisville and then decided to break them out in training camp. "You see Kurt Warner throwing with the glove," Brohm said. "I have some experience throwing with it; I know can throw with it. So I went home this offseason and tried a bunch of different gloves. I'm still trying to figure out which will be the right glove for me. "I don't know if I'm going to use it in all situations. Maybe if it's just really hot or really cold." -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

AJHawk50
08-07-2009, 04:48 PM
DeShawn Wynn could split time at RB for Packers

It's Ryan Grant's property right now, but if DeShawn Wynn can remain upright this season, the starting running back position for the Green Bay Packers might be a time share. Wynn lived up to his reputation as an underachiever his first two seasons with the Packers, falling so low that he was released during training camp last year and had to come back and serve on the practice squad. He made it back to the 53-man roster in October and finished the year with a 73-yard run against Detroit in the season finale. But the question that continued to linger was whether he could get himself in shape enough to challenge Grant this summer. -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

TitleTown088
08-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Well Harrell is still healthy.....

You trying to jinx it?

cvv84
08-08-2009, 12:46 PM
I can't wait for Family Night tonight. I wish Raji was there though to get a full look at our #1 defense and hopefully Matthews or Thompson will be able to go too. I'll give a breakdown after the scrimmage for anyone who isn't able to watch.

TitleTown088
08-08-2009, 03:59 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/08/packers-interest-in-vick-in-holding-pattern/

I know this is from PFT, but it comes from a yahoo reporter. Reportedly the Packers have sent a " high level" employee to meet with Vick.

GB12
08-08-2009, 06:00 PM
It's supposed to start at 6 right?

ChezPower4
08-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the game streaming online?

the_legend_killer
08-08-2009, 07:11 PM
http://www.fox11online.com/subindex/sports/sports_other_2

GB12
08-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Not playing tonight: S Anthony Smith, CB Pat Lee, CB Al Harris, CB Charles Woodson, CB Trevor Ford, LB Clay Matthews, LB Nick Barnett, LB Brad Jones, RB Brandon Jackson, RB DeShawn Wynn, WR Pat Williams, WR Ruvell Martin, BJ Raji, Johnny Jolly

cvv84
08-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Storms passing through the area, lightning spotted so they're in a delay.

ChezPower4
08-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Not playing tonight: S Anthony Smith, CB Pat Lee, CB Al Harris, CB Charles Woodson, CB Trevor Ford, LB Clay Matthews, LB Nick Barnett, LB Brad Jones, RB Brandon Jackson, RB DeShawn Wynn, WR Pat Williams, WR Ruvell Martin, BJ Raji, Johnny Jolly

No Matthews :(

GB12
08-08-2009, 08:30 PM
God damn. I really hope this doesn't get canceled.

cvv84
08-08-2009, 09:04 PM
God damn. I really hope this doesn't get canceled.

CANCELLED.....

ChezPower4
08-08-2009, 09:08 PM
bummer, well we can all watch UFC 101 now. I've got a link to watch it online PM me if you would like it.

TitleTown088
08-09-2009, 01:48 AM
That's ********. I wanted to see it.

awfullyquiet
08-09-2009, 11:39 AM
you have tv in the great white north?

i thought you watched the games on polar-bear-o-vision.

cvv84
08-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Talks with Raji getting a bit closer

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml?GID=EygbNL6nFNRTKUVZhzNtx/Wd4l9V9YMmWbUtZbaIk9Q%3D

Al Davis paying Heyward-Bey a 20% increase has really messed up the signing for alot of teams.

ChezPower4
08-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Add in the fact that Raji and his agent may be waiting for Crabtree to sign. If Carbtree gets a huge deal then Raji may want more or something similar because he was picked in front of Crabtree. I hope that this is not the case because it looks like there is no end in sight as far as Crabtree is concerned.

tjsunstein
08-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Some Camp Notes from the last couple days.

Packers' OL during walkthroughs is LT Chad Clifton, LG Daryn Colledge, C Scott Wells, RG Jason Spitz and RT Allen Barbre. Spitz rotating in for Wells at C. OL Josh Sitton comes in at RG when Spitz plays C.

LB Clay Matthews is participating in walkthroughs with the Packers' No. 1 defense despite being in shorts, perhaps a sign that once his hamstring heals he will be the starter.

Packers TE Jermichael Finley has caught everything thrown his way, but starts today's camp with a drop in the end zone. QB Aaron Rodgers slightly overthrew the ball, but Finley got his hands on it.

Two others missing Packers' practice: TE Tory Humphrey and CB Pat Lee . Both are nicked up and are day-to-day.

During special teams work, Packers Ps Durant Brooks and Jeremy Kapinos both had OK punts. Neither has impressed so far in camp.

Packers K Mason Crosby missed a FG from the right hash mark 25 yards out. He also missed from the 35. Both kicks were wide right.

During Packers one-on-one drill, WR Brett Swain beat CB Tramon Williams and caught a long pass from QB Aaron Rodgers.

tjsunstein
08-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Packers have picked up the tempo during the third team drill of the day. Hitting is getting aggressive and the defense has had pressure all day. During one play, LB Brandon Chillar came on a blitz and couldn't stop his momentum before knocking down QB Aaron Rodgers.

Never again, Chillar, never againnnnn.

cvv84
08-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Breno Giacomini worked pretty much all day today with the 1's. I like Barbre but this kid is our RT of the future. Barbre just looks like a guard in my opinion which sucks for him because Colledge is really starting to come around and its looking like Sitton or Spitz will our RG.

cvv84
08-11-2009, 01:27 PM
First offical depth chart is out.

http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/

Wells is the starting center. John Kuhn is the starting FB. Jeremy Kapinos leads the punting battle.

tjsunstein
08-11-2009, 02:31 PM
During team drills Packers QB Aaron Rodgers went 9-14, QB Matt Flynn went 3-6 and QB Brian Brohm went 4-5.

Packers WR Kole Heckendorf made a nice catch during 11-on-11 going against CB Tramon Williams and S Charlie Peprah. QB Brian Brohm hung the ball up a bit and Heckendorf went up and fought for it.

Everything I've read about Tramon Williams hasn't been good for him.

cvv84
08-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Talks with Raji getting a bit closer

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml?GID=EygbNL6nFNRTKUVZhzNtx/Wd4l9V9YMmWbUtZbaIk9Q%3D

Al Davis paying Heyward-Bey a 20% increase has really messed up the signing for alot of teams.

Scratch that, Raji has reportedly left Green Bay for Chicago this afternoon. This sucks, I didn't feel like he need to be on time in order to make an impact this season but we need him to get reps with the 1st team. If he misses 2 preseason games he's going to be hurting.

princefielder28
08-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Harrell sat out with back spasms today, big surprise

cvv84
08-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Harrell sat out with back spasms today, big surprise

Go figure. Looking back at our needs in that draft, I wish we took Greg Olsen. Heck, Leon Hall, Michael Griffin, Aaron Ross, Reggie Nelson, Dywane Bowe, Brandon Merriweather, Jon Beason, Joe Staley, or Ben Grubbs would've been great. 10/16 final picks in the 1st round would've been much better than Harrell.

I know its easy to look back and make a better pick but Harrell wasn't a need like a RB, TE, or CB was.

jsa230
08-12-2009, 03:03 PM
don't forget jarvis moss!!!

cvv84
08-12-2009, 03:05 PM
don't forget jarvis moss!!!

Funny thing is, the Broncos reportedly were going to draft Harrell until we took him.

tjsunstein
08-13-2009, 09:03 AM
DEs Johnny Jolly (ankle) and Justin Harrell (back spasms) remain out. Also in shorts are S Atari Bigby and CB Pat Lee.

Packers LBs Nick Barnett and Brad Jones remain on the PUP list.

cvv84
08-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Brad Jones is starting to look like Kurt Campbell. Hopefully Barnett gets back next week but Desmond Bishop and Brandon Chillar are looking great in his place.

cvv84
08-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Tory Humphrey to IR. LB Stryker Sulak signed.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1754260&#post1754260

princefielder28
08-13-2009, 10:44 AM
It appears that DeShawn Wynn may be taking hold of the 2nd spot behind Ryan Grant; he took snaps ahead of Brandon Jackson today. As long as Wynn stays healthy I don't see any reason why this would change.

cvv84
08-13-2009, 11:48 AM
It appears that DeShawn Wynn may be taking hold of the 2nd spot behind Ryan Grant; he took snaps ahead of Brandon Jackson today. As long as Wynn stays healthy I don't see any reason why this would change.

Thats a big if. I have to wonder too if this even means anything. McCarthy has already said that Grant will be the feature RB and get the lions share of the carries. Jackson's role last year was primarily as the 3rd down RB so unless Grant goes down I don't see the #2 or #3 RBs being much more than spell options.

jsa230
08-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Im all for Wynn as the 2 back. At least when he gets into the game he shows something.

ChezPower4
08-13-2009, 12:20 PM
I'd like to see how the #2 RB spot plays out in the Pre-Season games. When Jackson got playing time last season I thought he was pretty productive and showed that he could be a very solid #2 option. Wynn IMO has more Big play ability than Jackson.

AJHawk50
08-13-2009, 03:40 PM
It will be interesting to see how they play this offseason. I was glad when Green Bay picked Wynn back up last season. I have been disappointed with Brandon Jackson for the most part, he has shown a few good signs but I expected more out of him by now. It's year 3, so we will see how it goes this time around i guess.

Boston
08-13-2009, 08:17 PM
I hope Raji is able to come in and pick up on everything fairly quick.

ChezPower4
08-14-2009, 07:42 PM
We have signed Raji

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4400163

cvv84
08-14-2009, 09:27 PM
We have signed Raji

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4400163

I just have a really good feeling about Raji. I think he's going to be the foundation for our new defense for years to come. Still a little worried about Pickett playing NT and Barnett in the middle though. I also don't think Matthews will become a stud pass rusher but we could always move him inside if he flops.

AJHawk50
08-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Who is ready for some football...TONIGHT!? WOO!

princefielder28
08-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Who is ready for some football...TONIGHT!? WOO!

It's exciting that football is finally back but it's only the first preseason game

cvv84
08-15-2009, 12:58 PM
It's exciting that football is finally back but it's only the first preseason game

I'm just excited to get a look at our new defense in action.

jackalope
08-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the game, especially since there was no Family Night Scrimmage. Unfortunately, I'm only going to watch until they pull the starters. The rest I'm recording and watching tomorrow.

ChezPower4
08-15-2009, 02:18 PM

It's fun to watch how much the young guys have grown over the last few years and to watch them contend for starting spots.

GB12
08-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Preseason games are great. Every hardcore football fan should like them. There's always something or someone to watch. You can really learn a lot about the team from preseason.

Zycho32
08-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Question; how many teams in the NFL sell out their preseason games?

ChezPower4
08-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Probably not very many. I would imagine that the really popular teams do, like the Packers, Steelers, Bears and Cowboys to name a few.

Boston
08-15-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm extemely excited about the Packers this year. Even more so than the last few years.

PACKmanN
08-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Is it me, or did Raji look like he lost a lot of weight during the time he wasn't in TC with us? could they be moving him as a full time DE?

ChezPower4
08-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Is it me, or did Raji look like he lost a lot of weight during the time he wasn't in TC with us? could they be moving him as a full time DE?

The Packers website stated that Raji had not lost any weight during his holdout period. As for him playing full time DE, I don't think that he'll be playing it full time but I do expect most of his work to be done there this year. I see Raji as our NT of the future.

cvv84
08-16-2009, 12:31 PM

Raji said in a local interview that he has been working out a local high school, doing alot of sprints and such during his holdout. Thats why I like the guy, he isn't your typical big bodied guy who just uses his size to get by. He looks "in shape" for a guy weighing in the 330-340 range.

He will be playing alot of DE this year but he's definetly our NT of the future. Playing DE just shows how talented this guy really is in my opinion.

GB12
08-16-2009, 12:35 PM
If he's going to be playing there this year then I'd say it's definitly something we'd be able to do, but I sure as hell wouldn't want him to. He's more valuable to us as a NT. Pickett is a FA after this season and I think we'll let him walk, then let Raji be the every down NT, and find a new DE.

BloodBrother
08-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Man, did you guys see how broad/wide his shoulders were during that interview, and that was without pads. Dude is gonna be a load to handle on the D-line.

cvv84
08-17-2009, 09:06 AM
I'll believe it when the season is over. Never say never with Favre.

Funny how someone gave me -rep for that comment lol

badgerbacker
08-17-2009, 10:31 AM
I don't have cable/internet set up in my new place yet. Anybody care to let me know how the Packers/specific players looked in the preseason game?

Edit: I just read through the game thread. Thanks for keeping it detailed guys.

no bare feet
08-17-2009, 11:04 AM
I love Aaron Rodgers.

Favre4ever
08-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I love Aaron Rodgers.

That TD pass to Driver was just something else...I mean, not a lot of QB can pull a precise pass downfield on the run over two defenders right on the money.

cvv84
08-17-2009, 11:36 AM
8. The Seahawks have had internal discussions about possibly being interested in adding another running back. If it were me running the Seahawks, I would be looking very hard to fill this need.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday-at-the-Post-5524.html

We won't be carrying more than 4 RBs so maybe we could trade someone to the Seahawks. They're starting to run the zone blocking scheme with new head coach Jim Mora Jr. so maybe we could sneak a late round pick for a surplus RB.

no bare feet
08-17-2009, 11:45 AM
That TD pass to Driver was just something else...I mean, not a lot of QB can pull a precise pass downfield on the run over two defenders right on the money.

I was having dreams of that pass.

GB12
08-17-2009, 12:49 PM
We won't be carrying more than 4 RBs so maybe we could trade someone to the Seahawks. They're starting to run the zone blocking scheme with new head coach Jim Mora Jr. so maybe we could sneak a late round pick for a surplus RB.
No way. It's not like we're loaded at RB. We have a starter in Ryan Grant, a 3rd down back/#2 in Jackson, and a bunch of scrubs. It would be stupid for any team to give up a draft pick for Kregg Lumpkin.

cvv84
08-17-2009, 01:25 PM
No way. It's not like we're loaded at RB. We have a starter in Ryan Grant, a 3rd down back/#2 in Jackson, and a bunch of scrubs. It would be stupid for any team to give up a draft pick for Kregg Lumpkin.

Grant/Jackson/Wynn/Lumpkin/Sutton - How are we not loaded at RB again? Grant's going to get the majority of the carries. Jackson can be more than a 3rd down RB if needed. Wynn when healthy can produce. And we're likely going to keep either Lumpkin or Sutton. The pick would be conditional, obviously (or at least I assumed it would be obvious to most). Hell we traded a long snapper to the Panthers for a conditional pick. How is trading a RB out of the realm of possibility?

drowe
08-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Grant/Jackson/Wynn/Lumpkin/Sutton - How are we not loaded at RB again?

we're not loaded at RB. Grant is the only one that's ever done anything and he's had one good year. Jackson has been a disappointment so far and Wynn has had a hard time staying on the field. Lumpkin and Sutton are obviously unproven...plus, we didn't spend anything to get 'em, so we obviously couldn't expect to get anything for 'em

if the Packers were involved in any RB trade, i would think it would be to GET one.

cvv84
08-17-2009, 02:17 PM
we're not loaded at RB. Grant is the only one that's ever done anything and he's had one good year. Jackson has been a disappointment so far and Wynn has had a hard time staying on the field. Lumpkin and Sutton are obviously unproven...plus, we didn't spend anything to get 'em, so we obviously couldn't expect to get anything for 'em

if the Packers were involved in any RB trade, i would think it would be to GET one.

I disagree. Jackson has shown flashes, as had Wynn. Running back may not be our strong point but we have guys who can get it done when called upon. Ryan Grant was unproven yet we spent a 6th round pick to get him. We didn't spend anything to get Gafford yet we traded him for something.

cvv84
08-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Practice is in session. Barnett is in full pads. Raji is working with the starters. Matthews and Thompson are still out.

umphrey
08-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Overall I'd give our running backs a pretty poor grade but we have 5 guys that could make an NFL roster somewhere so it's not unreasonable to think we could get a 6th or a 7th from someone. Same way we got Ryan Grant.

cvv84
08-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Just got done reading a little recap of practice. Brad Jones is back. He's playing LOLB and it sounded like he made some plays today. Raji was working at LDE but he wasn't doing work yet in the nickel packages. Looks like they're just trying to get him up to speed. Breno Giacomini is starting to close the gap on Barbre at RT. He got a ton of reps today with the 1st team.

Hawk seems to be getting less work in some packages. At one point he was running with the 2s. Chillar came in for him in nickle packages.

Nice to see Barnett getting back but I'd really wish that either Matthews/Thompson get back soon. That ROLB position is huge and we need a starter there to get reps.

One sports blogger said that they are back to square one with trying to find the problem with Harrell and that Harrell himself sounded like his career could be over.

Just found this: Harrell thinks career could be over (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml)

tjsunstein
08-18-2009, 09:51 AM
It appears that LB Jeremy Thompson (stinger) and Clay Matthews will miss this morning's Packers practice.

Also not participating in the Packers morning practice: DE Cullen Jenkins, DE B.J. Raji, S Atari Bigby, DE Johnny Jolly, CB Pat Lee, DE Johnny Jolly, C Scott Wells, T Chad Clifton, WR JaRon Harris and WR Patrick Williams.

With Packers C Scott Wells not participating, C/G Jason Spitz will get all the reps at C. The two usually share reps.

PACKmanN
08-18-2009, 09:56 AM
It appears that LB Jeremy Thompson (stinger) and Clay Matthews will miss this morning's Packers practice.

Also not participating in the Packers morning practice: DE Cullen Jenkins, DE B.J. Raji, S Atari Bigby, DE Johnny Jolly, CB Pat Lee, DE Johnny Jolly, C Scott Wells, T Chad Clifton, WR JaRon Harris and WR Patrick Williams.

With Packers C Scott Wells not participating, C/G Jason Spitz will get all the reps at C. The two usually share reps.

any reason as to why our starting d-line isn't practicing?

tjsunstein
08-18-2009, 09:59 AM

No idea. Good thing Ryan Pickett is out there to hold down the trenches.

cvv84
08-18-2009, 10:11 AM

Its just a jog through today. No pads.

JF4
08-18-2009, 02:43 PM
I disagree. Jackson has shown flashes, as had Wynn. Running back may not be our strong point but we have guys who can get it done when called upon. Ryan Grant was unproven yet we spent a 6th round pick to get him. We didn't spend anything to get Gafford yet we traded him for something.

There's a ton of RB's in the NFL who have shown 'flashes' and I don't think they go far into determining the value of a RB. Especially in the cases of Wynn and Jackson where the flashes have been few and far between. The trade value of the two is close to nothing IMO. Other than Grant I still have little confidence in our RB's.

AJHawk50
08-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Well it's time to play vs. ol' Favre officially now.

cvv84
08-18-2009, 02:47 PM
There's a ton of RB's in the NFL who have shown 'flashes' and I don't think they go far into determining the value of a RB. Especially in the cases of Wynn and Jackson where the flashes have been few and far between. The trade value of the two is close to nothing IMO. Other than Grant I still have little confidence in our RB's.

Grant alone proves my point.

cvv84
08-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Good read on Aaron Rodgers and his rise from the 2005 draft to now. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoGMu22sObJBTRjEi4ySLT9DubYF?slug=cr-packerscamp081809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

jsa230
08-18-2009, 04:12 PM
I just got the news . . . Brett, you just raped my Packer pride

roughrider30
08-18-2009, 05:17 PM
I still love Favre, but I CAN'T wait til Kampman or someone takes his head off

ChezPower4
08-18-2009, 06:13 PM
I'll get the pleasure of watching Favre rape the Lions this year when I goto the Vikings @ Detroit game.

TitleTown088
08-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Damn you Favre. Now I have to dislike you for at leased one season. Maybe for good.

Zycho32
08-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Heehehehehehe....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=An73_Ii4JKNyoJKw6isYR5zhMMQF?slug=cr-favrereaction081809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

If we were in Europe, we'd be the sort of hooligans who would try to shiv the opposing team's fans. If we were in South America, we would shiv any player who dared to fail in our eyes.

...you can say you're more enlightened and respective than that, but verily you can't get much more arrogant and delusional than this without resorting to violence.

tjsunstein
08-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Packers coach Mike McCarthy on reports that QB Brett Favre will sign with the Vikings: "I'm not surprised," said McCarthy. "Nobody should be surprised."

Packers defense is running a nickel package that features DEs B.J. Raji and Cullen Jenkins during team drills.

Packers T Breno Giacomini is taking snaps at RT with the first-team line during a move-the-ball drill. The line also has OL Jason Spitz at C and OL Josh Sitton at RG.

Packers QB Brian Brohm was suckered into giving CB Charles Woodson an easy INT during a red zone team drill. WR Jordy Nelson was running an out pattern and appeared to be open, but Woodson stepped in front of him. Woodson later picked off QB Matt Flynn .

Packers QB Brian Brohm has looked inconsistent today, his passes haven't been on target. He just overthrew RB Tyrell Sutton on a check down near the end zone.

From yesterday but Brohm is not impressing me one bit. The more he's on the field, the less I like him actually.

PACKmanN
08-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Packers coach Mike McCarthy on reports that QB Brett Favre will sign with the Vikings: "I'm not surprised," said McCarthy. "Nobody should be surprised."

Packers defense is running a nickel package that features DEs B.J. Raji and Cullen Jenkins during team drills.

Packers T Breno Giacomini is taking snaps at RT with the first-team line during a move-the-ball drill. The line also has OL Jason Spitz at C and OL Josh Sitton at RG.

Packers QB Brian Brohm was suckered into giving CB Charles Woodson an easy INT during a red zone team drill. WR Jordy Nelson was running an out pattern and appeared to be open, but Woodson stepped in front of him. Woodson later picked off QB Matt Flynn .

Packers QB Brian Brohm has looked inconsistent today, his passes haven't been on target. He just overthrew RB Tyrell Sutton on a check down near the end zone.

From yesterday but Brohm is not impressing me one bit. The more he's on the field, the less I like him actually.
I'm not surpirsed with Brohm, it isn't easy for young qbs to develop as fast as some would like. Rodgers wasn't as good as he is now when he was in his second year. Give him 3-4 years before we judge him.

tjsunstein
08-19-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm not surpirsed with Brohm, it isn't easy for young qbs to develop as fast as some would like. Rodgers wasn't as good as he is now when he was in his second year. Give him 3-4 years before we judge him.

Of course, of course. Brohm can develop into a solid backup in time but I guess I'm greedy looking for immediate results from a second rounder. Just nitpicking, though. It looks as if Rodgers goes down (knock on wood), this team will too.

RyanBraun8
08-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Of course, of course. Brohm can develop into a solid backup in time but I guess I'm greedy looking for immediate results from a second rounder. Just nitpicking, though. It looks as if Rodgers goes down (knock on wood), this team will too.

Don't know about that.... Flynn has continued to look really good and has also improved his arm strength a bunch. He is a smart QB who can manage a game, just look what he did at LSU. Rodgers goes down it will hurt but I think we can still win with Flynn. With Brohm though, yeah the team will sink.

cvv84
08-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Don't know about that.... Flynn has continued to look really good and has also improved his arm strength a bunch. He is a smart QB who can manage a game, just look what he did at LSU. Rodgers goes down it will hurt but I think we can still win with Flynn. With Brohm though, yeah the team will sink.

I wouldn't say Flynn has looked good as I would say he's lookd better than Brohm. As you said, Flynn can manage the game, which shows because he likes the check down options in the passing game. I like his mobility but he looks timid when throwing the intermediate and deep passes. Flynn's developing but if he were to start for any reason I think our offense would be dramatically different.

As for Brohm, I have to agree with tjsunstein. He was a 2nd round pick and TT even mentioned that he was considering trading up in the 1st round to draft him. There has to be some mechanical flaw with him because from what I'm seen is that his passes are sailing high way too much. Will he figure it out? Maybe. But I don't think we're going to get our investment back with him. Pat Lee has been another disapointing player so far too.

umphrey
08-20-2009, 04:40 PM
If we put Flynn or Brohm in the game, the defense isn't going to bother covering anyone more than 5-10 yards deep.

johbur
08-22-2009, 04:15 AM
Just found this: Harrell thinks career could be over (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml)
And really, is anyone surprised? Harrell was easily TT's worst pick and was even worse than Jamal Reynolds by Sherman, given that Harrell was known to be injured when he was drafted. TT had a great draft this year and if his players would stop selling codeine Harrell wouldn't even be an issue as Jolly looked fantastic against the Browns. I just don't know if he's here for the whole season.

Side note, Desmond Bishop has GOT to see the field this year in a major way.

umphrey
08-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Brett Favre and Jay Cutler combined for 40 picks last season, 1st and 2nd in the league. Get ready Woodson, Collins, and what looks to be a pretty good pass rush!

Barbre has looked good so far. I might even go as far to say that the right side of our line is the superior run blocking side.

These guys, in my opinion, have played good enough that they have earned regular season playing time: Bishop, D Wynn, Barbre, Finley

I like the MLB cross blitz we have been using. I hope we don't wear it out by the middle of the year though.

I was pretty shocked, but Scott actually gave us the best review of any draft this year. We got the only A. He usually hates on the Packers and the last 2-3 years his review sounded like the devil's advocate...was our draft that great?

cvv84
08-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Brett Favre and Jay Cutler combined for 40 picks last season, 1st and 2nd in the league. Get ready Woodson, Collins, and what looks to be a pretty good pass rush!

Barbre has looked good so far. I might even go as far to say that the right side of our line is the superior run blocking side.

These guys, in my opinion, have played good enough that they have earned regular season playing time: Bishop, D Wynn, Barbre, Finley

I like the MLB cross blitz we have been using. I hope we don't wear it out by the middle of the year though.

I was pretty shocked, but Scott actually gave us the best review of any draft this year. We got the only A. He usually hates on the Packers and the last 2-3 years his review sounded like the devil's advocate...was our draft that great?

Good points. I completely agree with you on those 4 guys earning playing time. I've said this since we drafted Bishop, the guy is just built for the 3-4. Wynn has been a pleasant suprise so far. Hopefully he can work into the rotation and maybe even play RE when we're in our 4-3 nickel package. I'm high on Giacomini but Barbre hasn't done anything to lose his job. Finley should enjoy a nice breakout season and give Rodgers yet another weapon.

Hawk
08-23-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm real excited about Finley. He could develop into such a big time weapon for us.

TitleTown088
08-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Granted it's buffalo and Cleveland, but... 9 turnovers in two games and 89 min of scoreless football is very impressive.

cvv84
08-24-2009, 09:14 PM
McCarthy officially names his starting offense line:

LT - Clifton
LG - Colledge
C - Spitz
RG - Sitton
RT - Barbre

Overall I like it. Spitz adds strength to the center position. Sitton is a good combination of zone blocker and power blocker. Barbre I like but Giacomini is the future if you ask me. I'm glad we named the line early this year unlike in the past.

TitleTown088
08-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Uh Matthews won't play this week according to tom P. I Know it's the smart thing to do with a hammy, but I really want to see him out there. Now I'll have to wait until game 4.

Greg Bedard says to look for Pops to start week one.

ChezPower4
08-25-2009, 07:54 AM
I'm real excited about Finley. He could develop into such a big time weapon for us.

He looked excellent in the Game at the Bills. I think that Finley will create a lot of mismatches for our offense and the coaches will really look to exploit our opponents with him.

drowe
08-25-2009, 11:17 AM
McCarthy officially names his starting offense line:

LT - Clifton
LG - Colledge
C - Spitz
RG - Sitton
RT - Barbre

Overall I like it. Spitz adds strength to the center position. Sitton is a good combination of zone blocker and power blocker. Barbre I like but Giacomini is the future if you ask me. I'm glad we named the line early this year unlike in the past.

i like it too. and now there's a lot of talk about trading scott wells. i'd like to keep him. ya know the packers won't get much in return considering he's gonna go somewhere and immediately improve the middle of an o-line.

johbur
08-25-2009, 12:16 PM
i like it too. and now there's a lot of talk about trading scott wells. i'd like to keep him. ya know the packers won't get much in return considering he's gonna go somewhere and immediately improve the middle of an o-line.

That's interesting. Maybe they liked what they saw from Duke Preston or one of the other interior linemen. I love Wells' game, but he's coming back from injury, so I'm not surprised he's not starting. Not sure what his trade value would be. I think he'd be better on the team, but he doesn't play OG, so maybe TT/MM want an OG/C back-up.

Side note: I had a perverse sense of joy watching Farv get plowed by Tamba Hali. I hope Bryant McKinney looks like that against us.

cvv84
08-25-2009, 12:38 PM
That's interesting. Maybe they liked what they saw from Duke Preston or one of the other interior linemen. I love Wells' game, but he's coming back from injury, so I'm not surprised he's not starting. Not sure what his trade value would be. I think he'd be better on the team, but he doesn't play OG, so maybe TT/MM want an OG/C back-up.

Side note: I had a perverse sense of joy watching Farv get plowed by Tamba Hali. I hope Bryant McKinney looks like that against us.

I think it's more of a numbers thing. Wells is due to make $1.7 million while Preston is only making $800k.

I like Wells but we're moving more towards a combination of the zone blocking and power scheme. At this point though I think Wells isn't going anywhere. Preston hasn't really impressed and although Wells makes more, his presence makes it easier to transition if Spit has to move back to guard for any reason.

bearsfan_51
08-25-2009, 01:04 PM
The Packers running game and defense isn't good enough to win with a 'game manager.'

cvv84
08-25-2009, 01:47 PM
I think it's more of a numbers thing. Wells is due to make $1.7 million while Preston is only making $800k.

I like Wells but we're moving more towards a combination of the zone blocking and power scheme. At this point though I think Wells isn't going anywhere. Preston hasn't really impressed and although Wells makes more, his presence makes it easier to transition if Spit has to move back to guard for any reason.

Wow, either I'm lucky or just good.

Packers informed C Duke Preston of his release. (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Wells-staying-put-Pack-to-release-Preston.html)

jackalope
08-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Wow, either I'm lucky or just good.

Packers informed C Duke Preston of his release. (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Wells-staying-put-Pack-to-release-Preston.html)

Good, I was hoping we'd keep Wells.

TitleTown088
08-25-2009, 03:06 PM
I felt the Preston move coming as well.

The Packers running game and defenseisn't good enough to win with a 'game manager.'

You'll be eating that part of the comment week one. :)

Justin Harrell says his career isn't over. He's on medication and should play. Ooo boy, look out... Right?

Boston
08-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Has Poppinga really shown anything so far that would suggest that he'll be good in the 3-4? I know he's always been good against the run, but it seems like every time McCarthy talks about him it's all positive in order to motivate Matthews and Thompson to come back and prove themselves again. Yeah he was involved in two turnovers against the Bills, but neither one of those was really a credit to anything he did. More of a right place at the right time thing.

drowe
08-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Justin Harrell says his career isn't over. He's on medication and should play. Ooo boy, look out... Right?

the biggest instance of me being a homer is my insistance that justin harrell will have a good year this year. i refuse to let go of this hope.

bearsfan_51
08-25-2009, 03:18 PM
You'll be eating that part of the comment week one. :)
You're going to beat us with Matt Flynn?

drowe
08-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Has Poppinga really shown anything so far that would suggest that he'll be good in the 3-4?

well, he was a DE in college, so it would seem like a semi-natural position move for him.

and, he's been quietly having a very solid training camp.

i'd have a hard time getting excited about him as our starting OLB. he's like the person on the team that everyone is supposed to love, but i just can't buy him as more than a good backup.

TitleTown088
08-25-2009, 03:34 PM
You're going to beat us with Matt Flynn?
The bolded part brah.
I would have expected a professor to have good reading comprehension... ;)