PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83

cvv84
08-25-2009, 03:37 PM
well, he was a DE in college, so it would seem like a semi-natural position move for him.

and, he's been quietly having a very solid training camp.

i'd have a hard time getting excited about him as our starting OLB. he's like the person on the team that everyone is supposed to love, but i just can't buy him as more than a good backup.

Completely agree. Poppinga will always give you high effort and he's a descent player but he's one of those guys who if you have a chance to upgrade you do it. When Poppinga was a rookie he was special teams stud too so once Thompson/Matthews take over he could play that role again.

bearsfan_51
08-25-2009, 04:02 PM
The bolded part brah.
I would have expected a professor to have good reading comprehension... ;)
I can read, I was just pointing out how your statement makes no sense.

Your defense isn't good enough to win games with Matt Flynn at quarterback, unless Matt Flynn is quarterback on week 1, there's no way you will show us anything.

cvv84
08-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Wells is a little pissed.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/54826952.html

tjsunstein
08-25-2009, 04:43 PM

Understandably so. He laughed when asked if it was a fair competition. I wonder what that's about.

TitleTown088
08-25-2009, 05:23 PM
I can read, I was just pointing out how your statement makes no sense.

Your defense isn't good enough to win games with Matt Flynn at quarterback, unless Matt Flynn is quarterback on week 1, there's no way you will show us anything.

It makes sense, the statement was only in context of the bolded selection. I thought that was rather obvious.

GB12
08-25-2009, 06:24 PM
i'd have a hard time getting excited about him as our starting OLB. he's like the person on the team that everyone is supposed to love, but i just can't buy him as more than a good backup.I like Poppinga a lot. He seems like a great person and I like reading his interviews. He's also someone that is good to have on the team. Always gives high effort and he seems to be somewhat of a leader. The problem is he doesn't have just quite enough talent. As a backup/special teamer he's great, but I don't want him to be a fulltime starter.

I read that interview and obviously he's not happy, but I thought it was more of the reporter being a dick. He was trying to say the right things and not talk bad about any of the coaches or other players. The reporter kept trying to get him to say something and Wells was getting frustrated.

Boston
08-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Yeah, what kind of stupid ******* question is,

"Finish this sentence, "Scott Wells is no longer the starting center because..."

TitleTown088
08-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Of ocurse he's not happy, but watch well's locker room inerview on Packers.com. He isn't nearly as pissed at the writer makes him sound. He's smiling during much of it.

mqtirishfan
08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
All I got from that article is that Greg Bedard is a giant douche.

TitleTown088
08-25-2009, 10:59 PM

It was a group asking those questions at his locker room, not just Bedard. Bedard comes off as a real nice guy. He even kept quiet about Nick Collins dad when he was dying when he knew that what was keeping him out of camp. Meanwhile other reporters said Nick was solely gone because of contract issues. Bedard is the best reporter that follows the Packers, followed by Tom P from GBPG.

mqtirishfan
08-25-2009, 11:50 PM
It was a group asking those questions at his locker room, not just Bedard. Bedard comes off as a real nice guy. He even kept quiet about Nick Collins dad when he was dying when he knew that what was keeping him out of camp. Meanwhile other reporters said Nick was solely gone because of contract issues. Bedard is the best reporter that follows the Packers, followed by Tom P from GBPG.

Then I retract my statement, but goddamn that was a terrible article, and I hate people.

Shahin
08-27-2009, 04:29 AM
Bishop is good. that is all.

BloodBrother
08-27-2009, 05:48 AM

That's pretty much it, right there. Bedard is your typical pot stirring writer who is always just out to try and make up some sort of story. Now, just to say this now, I'm not a twitter guy, but I did sign up for it and followed Packer news, etc just so I can get some more information a bit quicker. Anyway, Bedard tweeted on Barnett's first day of practice saying some BS crap like "Nick is looking a bit top heavy out there. Doesn't look like he can get much torque"

just a totally ridiculous comment

AJHawk50
08-27-2009, 02:34 PM
The Green Bay Packers are concerned enough about their backup quarterback spot that they could get involved in trade talks with Tampa Bay, which is shopping quarterbacks Byron Leftwich, Luke McCown and Josh Johnson. A league source said the Packers are exploring backup quarterbacks around the league and another source said Green Bay has McCown as a possibility.

The Packers have been concerned about their backup quarterback situation for awhile and seriously considered acquiring Michael Vick, who signed with the Eagles, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. Second-year players Matt Flynn and Brian Brohm are the Packers’ current backups, with Flynn serving as the No. 2 to starter Aaron Rodgers. Flynn is currently nursing a shoulder injury, and Brohm has done little to take advantage in Flynn’s absence.

The Buccaneers will deal Leftwich, McCown or Johnson — all their quarterbacks except first-rounder Josh Freeman — for the proper compensation, several sources said. A late-round draft pick and/or a player might be all they’re offered. Tampa Bay does not want to carry four quarterbacks on its final 53-man roster so teams could wait until final cuts to see if the Bucs release one of the three. However several teams — Chicago, Buffalo, New Orleans, New England and Jacksonville — could be in the market for backup quarterback help. Green bay already is.

– Steve Wyche

cvv84
08-27-2009, 03:03 PM
I think it all depends on how Flynn progresses. He won't play this week but if he can go next week I think we'll just have the phone nearby. McCown is owed something like $2.5 million this year which is just a huge amount for a backup QB, and for a backup QB will little game experience. Leftwich doesn't really fit our system and Josh Johnson is more of a project. If anything we're going to wait and see who gets cut.

GB12
08-27-2009, 07:25 PM
I think it all depends on how Flynn progresses. He won't play this week but if he can go next week I think we'll just have the phone nearby. McCown is owed something like $2.5 million this year which is just a huge amount for a backup QB, and for a backup QB will little game experience. Leftwich doesn't really fit our system and Josh Johnson is more of a project. If anything we're going to wait and see who gets cut.
I think it's more about Flynn's health than his progession. I think Flynn would have to be out for a couple weeks for us to do anything.

cvv84
08-27-2009, 07:38 PM
I think it's more about Flynn's health than his progession. I think Flynn would have to be out for a couple weeks for us to do anything.

Thats what I meant, how Flynn's injury progresses.

drowe
08-28-2009, 03:35 PM
i dunno. McCown is just a guy. He's not gonna win games for us if Rodgers goes down. And neither is Matt Flynn.

I still believe they need to have patience with Brian Brohm. he is the only one that has the potential to come in and do something more than dink and dunk his way to a losing record.

If Rodgers goes down in 2009, so does the season. doesn't matter if it's Flynn, McCown or Leftwich taking the snaps. but, i still believe that at some point, it'll click for Brian Brohm and we'll have a legit backup.

That, said, if he still plays like he's playing in 2010, ride him out of town on a rail.

TitleTown088
08-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Sooo... The defense has more takeaways than Rodgers has incompletions...

Zycho32
08-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I really REALLY wanna believe Rodgers is gonna be a BEAST this year and I wanna believe the Defense will put together a Top 5 effort. It goes without saying that the lot of us hope and wish for it.

But frankly, I'll settle for Rodgers standing pat and the D at least making it to the middle of the pack.

As far as a Veteran QB presence goes, the question is thus; we're pretty dang sure Brian Brohm cannot win games on his own, like every other available QB in the market, but can he avoid losing them in bunches?

And as an insane addition, I really want to see the uniforms Green Bay wore during the 1950's- the sucky-sucky years.

jsa230
08-30-2009, 12:43 PM
http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/images_items/Item_12798_2.jpg

me too . . that would be cool

TitleTown088
08-30-2009, 12:49 PM
, I'll settle for Rodgers standing pat
You won't have to, he's going to go off this season.

and the D at least making it to the middle of the pack.
I think the defense has a fair chance of being a top 10 unit.

Jmohr107
08-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Who has been wearing the helmet with the radio in it on defense with Barnett out? Will he wear it when he comes back?

GB12
08-30-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm almost positive Nick Collins has been wearing it with the first team. Not completely sure for second team, but I think that's Desmond Bishop.

cvv84
08-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Who has been wearing the helmet with the radio in it on defense with Barnett out? Will he wear it when he comes back?

Hawk has been wearing it but its going to be Barnett when the season starts. Hawk has been coming out in the nickel package. Wouldn't suprise me to see Collins wear it either because he's in on every defensive down and Barnett's coming back from injury.

PackerLegend
08-30-2009, 11:15 PM
I know he looked alright and everything but Jennings is completely ok right? I did not like to see that at all or what appeared to be a piece of **** sitting on him for what seemed like awhile after he went down. Maybe it was just because I was in shock and hoping he was alright that time appeared to be moving slower.

cvv84
08-30-2009, 11:33 PM
I know he looked alright and everything but Jennings is completely ok right? I did not like to see that at all or what appeared to be a piece of **** sitting on him for what seemed like awhile after he went down. Maybe it was just because I was in shock and hoping he was alright that time appeared to be moving slower.

He suffered a concussion. Jennings said he was knocked out for a few seconds too. He's not going to play next week but should be good to go for the season opener.

TitleTown088
08-31-2009, 12:35 AM
qDx7rApaJII

Love Smith's INt celebration.

Greene's too.

LchaqN-8LHQ

The quality on this guy's youtube it great.

drowe
08-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Cut time.

The Packers have cut Stryker Sulak, JaRon Harris and......Durant Brooks.

umphrey
08-31-2009, 01:05 PM
This year was a truly phenomenal draft for us.

Raji: I've had him as a multiple pro bowler since before the draft and he's moving along that path.
Matthews: Don't know yet - barely played so far
Lang: Pretty average but the OL take years to develop
Johnson: I like his intensity and he is a much better blocker than Hall or Kuhn. Really shows up in the running game between the tackles and in the red zone.
Meredith: See Lang
Wynn: I thought he was a developmental player but he is getting sacks and holding the spot from the 3-4 DE spot. Played against some inferior talent but if he plays like that against backups, then (as a young rookie) he is a good backup at minimum.
Underwood: I haven't heard much of anything about him but in all 3 preseason games he really impressed me. He looks the part physically, he's fast, and he stays with his receivers really well. QBs have been avoiding him. He really stood out at the game I went to because I could see him on his guy like glue forcing the QB to look to the other side of the field. You miss that watching TV.
Jones: The other late round pick that's really performing, he's been around the ball a lot and done a decent job covering.

There isn't a guy I want to cut out of this rookie class. Everyone has been very, very impressive except for the 2 OL and Matthews. I'm usually not this cheery about draft classes, especially 6th and 7th rounders. It's going to be hard stashing any of these guys on the practice squad and whoever gets cut will probably be our opponent in the very near future.

TitleTown088
08-31-2009, 02:10 PM
They haven't even played a game yet.

Raji's rush has looked good, but he's looked less than stellar vs the Run in preseason so far. He's still got work to do.

Clay hasn't seen the feild.

No one else will likely start aside from injury.

I agree the potential is there, but it's still premature. I, myself am excited about J Wynn.

cvv84
08-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Raji - Like Title Town said, he hasn't been as stout verse the rush. But he's only been practicing and playing for a few weeks now. I still think he's going to be a stud for us as a rookie.

Matthews - He seems to have passed Jermey Thompson because they moved Thompson to LOLB. Only Poppinga stands in Matthews way and thats just a matter of time. I think he's going to be descent but I don't see stud pass rusher written on him.

Lang - He's versitile and ultimately I think his future could be at guard. Possibly LG if Colledge shifts over after this season.

Johnson - He's made some good hit but overall I just haven't been impressed yet. I think he gets a spot based on potential but both Hall and Kuhn are better special teams players so I could even see him getting cut.

Meredith - For a guy with so much starting experience he seems pretty raw as a prospect. I'd like to see him as our LT of the future but realistically he just hasn't performed. Is that enough to earn him a roster spot?

Wynn - I thought TT just took a flier on a guy who could fit the scheme. But I've been really impressed with Wynn so far and his size allows versitality in our 3-4 and nickel schemes.

Underwood - Haven't really seen or heard much on him. With Pat Lee and Blackmon dinged up he might have a chance to make the team. If he can play some safety it would eliminate Jarrett Bush.

Jones - When healthy he's looked good. I guess his job really depends on how many LBs we carry. So far its Barnett, Hawk, Matthews, Kampman, Chillar, Poppinga, and Bishop. Danny Lansanah was a favorite last year and theres some versitality with Spencer Havner but I'd like to see more of what Jones can do.

Primate
08-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Guys, what on the Earth happened to Bigby? He doesn't look at all like the same player from the playoffs.

TitleTown088
09-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Guys, what on the Earth happened to Bigby? He doesn't look at all like the same player from the playoffs.
Who knows? He hasn't been the same player since his injuries last season. Maybe it's the role the coaches have asked of him so far? I'd be nice to have him back.

OTOH, Smith has been playing fairly well.

Favre4ever
09-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Who knows? He hasn't been the same player since his injuries last season. Maybe it's the role the coaches have asked of him so far? I'd be nice to have him back.

OTOH, Smith has been playing fairly well.
I thought Bigby would thrive in this new defense but so far he has been a dissapointment to me. Hes not a player with the most football IQ outhere but i thought he would excel as a blitzer because of his style and we havent seen any of this so far. Smith has been a surprised for me, espcially with his playmaking abilities, something Bigby doesnt bring.

Smith was once highly touted in Pittsburgh's prospect pool so it would be great to see him reach his full potential in Green Bay.

cvv84
09-01-2009, 01:45 PM
I thought Bigby would thrive in this new defense but so far he has been a dissapointment to me. Hes not a player with the most football IQ outhere but i thought he would excel as a blitzer because of his style and we havent seen any of this so far. Smith has been a surprised for me, espcially with his playmaking abilities, something Bigby doesnt bring.

Smith was once highly touted in Pittsburgh's prospect pool so it would be great to see him reach his full potential in Green Bay.

It seems like for every big play Smith makes he give one up. I like his experience in the system but there's a reason why the Steelers let him go.

As for Bigby, its hard to say. It could be anything from not feeling 100% to the Packers not fully showing their defense.

the dude
09-02-2009, 07:54 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/56434997.html

tony moll sucks - imagine that

umphrey
09-02-2009, 09:56 AM
I never understood how he's stuck to our roster for this long.

cvv84
09-02-2009, 10:51 AM
I never understood how he's stuck to our roster for this long.

Versitle. He also looked like a potential future starter for us during it rookie year when he filled in. Moll just hasn't been the same since he suffered that neck stinger.

TitleTown088
09-02-2009, 05:23 PM
http://www.michiganavemag.com/images/MA_SP09_100_NEW1.jpg

http://www.michiganavemag.com/images/MA_SP09_100_NEW2.jpg

http://www.michiganavemag.com/images/MA_SP09_100_NEW3.jpg

http://www.michiganavemag.com/MA_SP09_100_NEW.html

What a Dbag.

AJHawk50
09-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Wow that last picture hardly looks like him, weird.

Boston
09-02-2009, 06:22 PM
He looks like Rick Astley, and that's never a good thing.

GB12
09-02-2009, 07:40 PM
I couldn't even tell who that was without clicking the link.

PACKmanN
09-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Are those pictures suppose to make him look better? He has a evil/satan type of look.

GB12
09-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Are those pictures suppose to make him look better? He has a evil/satan type of look.
I think they do make him look better.

That's not saying much though considering how ugly he usually is.

http://splog.nationallampoon.com/files/2009/07/jay-cutler-image-1.jpg

TitleTown088
09-02-2009, 09:05 PM
I think they do make him look better.

You kidding me? Look at that second pic. I don't see how anyone can look better than normal there. Big time Dbag.

drowe
09-03-2009, 08:08 AM
wow. that photographer is awesome. i've never seen pictures of jay cutler that made him look like he didn't still have most of his baby fat.

Whistler6
09-03-2009, 08:30 AM
I needed a good laugh to start my day...Thank you Jay.

cvv84
09-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Peter King projects the Packers to make it to the NFC Championship game. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/main/index.html?eref=sihpT1) I thought it was interesting that he has 3 teams from the NFC North in the playoffs.

Packystan
09-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Rodgers predidcted to be MVP.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/10015932/The-Scheiners:-2009-NFL-award-predictions

Whistler6
09-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Rodgers predidcted to be MVP.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/10015932/The-Scheiners:-2009-NFL-award-predictions

Knock on wood. Based on preseason they have the potential. Still, the Bears and Vikings defenses look vicious.

Green Bay's defense has looked good MAINLY because of forced turnovers. Teams were moving the ball down the field before strips or picks. I guess that's a sign of an aggressive defense, but there are still a lot of question marks...

I like King's optimism though!

AJHawk50
09-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Several league personnel sources said that among the players the Packers have been shopping are tackle Tony Moll and safeties Charlie Peprah and Aaron Rouse. All three would be candidates to be released when the Packers have to trim their roster from 75 to 53. It's not unusual for the Packers to make calls around the league to see if there would be interest in making a trade. Their hope would be that a team low on the waiver priority list would want one of the players they're offering and be willing to trade a draft pick to cut in front of the other teams. -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

AJHawk50
09-04-2009, 04:37 PM
At least two linemen are being shopped by the Packers and presumably one of the others is center Scott Wells, who lost a training camp competition with Jason Spitz for a starting spot. However, none of the scouts specifically identified Wells as trade bait. -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

BloodBrother
09-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Keep Wells, depth is important at O-line. If they can trade Moll, I will forever have a soft spot for that new team. Getting anything for Moll would be incredible

cvv84
09-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Scott's pick for the Packers in his 2010 mock:

GREEN BAY PACKERS: ARTHUR JONES, DT, SYRACUSE

The Packers got a great jumpstart on their transition to a 3-4 defense when they selected B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews in the first round of the 2009 NFL Draft. With that said they are still in the process of overhauling their defensive personnel to fit their new scheme and will have to devote at least one more offseason to the project. The plan is for Raji to play defensive end as a rookie but if Ryan Pickett leaves as a free agent next offseason he would probably kick inside to nose tackle. With that being the case Green Bay would need to bring in someone to start opposite Cullen Jenkins because Johnny Jolly is facing some serious legal troubles and first round bust Justin Harrell just canít seem to stay healthy. A disruptive force with first-rate intangibles who registered 13.0 tackles for a loss and 3.5 sacks as a junior, Jones compares favorably to Steelers first round pick Ziggy Hood and would be a nice fit as a five-technique in a 30 front. The Packers could also use some help at inside linebacker, where neither Nick Barnett or A.J. Hawk are model fits in the 3-4.

Can't say I disagree with the pick but I think that OLB would be more of a need at this point in time.

GB12
09-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Scott's pick for the Packers in his 2010 mock:

Can't say I disagree with the pick but I think that OLB would be more of a need at this point in time.
How would OLB be more of a need? We just took a first round OLB in Clay Matthews and even if he happens to be a huge bust he will get at least two years. Unless you are thinking Kampman will fail there is no reason to take an another OLB in the first round.

cvv84
09-05-2009, 03:19 PM
How would OLB be more of a need? We just took a first round OLB in Clay Matthews and even if he happens to be a huge bust he will get at least two years. Unless you are thinking Kampman will fail there is no reason to take an another OLB in the first round.

Kampman is a free agent next year and basically all of our OLBs are unproven. I don't see Matthews as high sack guy either and really I didn't see our OLBs get much pressure during the preseason. Its early though and obvously the defensive playbook hasn't been fully opened yet. Just my opinion at the moment.

PACKmanN
09-05-2009, 03:26 PM
I think you cant go wrong with taking any player in the front 7. A lot of our players in that front 7 are either on 1 year contracts, unproven and calimed to not fit the scheme, or unheathly.

We can take a NT, if Raji is beasting it at DE, why mess with it? We can take a OLB, if Kampman wants to go to a 4-3 team, a DE, if Raji is moved back to DE, or a MLB if Hawk or Barnett fail.

Btw, it would be pretty cool having Jones on the team, since I'm a huge fan of his brother in MMA. :D

GB12
09-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Kampman is a free agent next year and basically all of our OLBs are unproven. I don't see Matthews as high sack guy either and really I didn't see our OLBs get much pressure during the preseason. Its early though and obvously the defensive playbook hasn't been fully opened yet. Just my opinion at the moment.
Kampman being a free agent is irrelevant. He's not going to hit the open market. If he plays well he'll be resigned. Again with Matthews, he will get a couple of years to prove himself. We're not going to draft another first round OLB if we have Kampman and Matthews. Now say Kampman does fail, then I'd agree we would have to draft a rush OLB in the first.

cvv84
09-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Kampman being a free agent is irrelevant. He's not going to hit the open market. If he plays well he'll be resigned. Again with Matthews, he will get a couple of years to prove himself. We're not going to draft another first round OLB if we have Kampman and Matthews. Now say Kampman does fail, then I'd agree we would have to draft a rush OLB in the first.

The thing about Matthews is that I think he could shift inside and be more effective. He's like a more athletic Chillar. We're going to need someone to hit home and create pressure and so far we haven't see it from our OLBs. You can never have enough pass rushers. Just look at the Chargers when they lost Merriman. They went from 5th to 22nd in sacks. Out of the bottom half of teams in sacks, 14 of them picked in the 1st half of the draft this year.

umphrey
09-05-2009, 06:32 PM
It's really hard thinking about next years draft for this team because right now we don't have any holes. At all. But we will by then after a full season of evaluation, injuries, retirement and free agency.

ILB would be a hell of a long shot as a need since we have our 2 starters that were drafted high and under contract, and then behind them Bishop is playing like a phenom and Chillar is more than servicable. Very little age concern at this position as well.

OLB: see GB12's arguement

DL: Jenkins and Raji are almost guaranteed starting roles somewhere on the line. Pickett and Jolly have already proven effective in the 4-3 and look pretty good in preseason, and rookie Wynn is playing pretty well. So unless Raji or Jenkins fall off the face of the earth we have a crowded competition for one starting spot. I don't buy that we would draft someone just because Jolly, who might not even be a starter, probably gets suspended. And I don't buy that we would let Pickett go after a solid season just to draft his replacement, our 3rd DT in 4 years in the 1st.

Cornerback will get a look. Harris might retire soon and after Williams we have a lot of young guys that haven't done crap but get hurt. We could have an open roster spot if Harris leaves, or we could replace Blackmon with someone with more coverage skills, or maybe someone gets a serious injury (knock on wood). It is one of our weakest positions when we have to play backups.

Safety we are a little weak at especially if Bigby doesn't turn it around, but I don't see us drafting for this low priority position unless a lot of factors fall into place.

Offensive tackle will get a good look especially if Clifton retires. We will probably have 1 or 2 guys on the OL of the 53 man roster that are very dispensable, like Wells. If the coaches are smart they'll want to keep Colledge at LG and the only other player at the position is Meredith who has potential but as a 5th rounder the coaches have very little invested in him.

PACKmanN
09-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I think we have holes; we could used another running back, a LT, a back up DE, back up NT. Those are some of the holes we have right now, but some of those can be fixed, resigning Pickett.

I wouldnt mind if the Packers take Best/Spiller/McNight in the first, and Wootton/Odrick/Oghobaase in the second. There is a lot of depth in this draft that meets our needs.

ChezPower4
09-06-2009, 05:11 PM
I think we have holes; we could used another running back, a LT, a back up DE, back up NT. Those are some of the holes we have right now, but some of those can be fixed, resigning Pickett.

I wouldnt mind if the Packers take Best/Spiller/McNight in the first, and Wootton/Odrick/Oghobaase in the second. There is a lot of depth in this draft that meets our needs.

I think best would fit in very nicely in our offense. I think that if he does declare that we will have to move up in order to select him.

GB12
09-06-2009, 06:15 PM
I think we have holes; we could used another running back, a LT, a back up DE, back up NT.
Everything you said is a backup, which I believe was his point.

PACKmanN
09-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Everything you said is a backup, which I believe was his point.

Not really, it comes down to what the team does with Raji and Pickett. If Pickett isnt resigned and they move Raji inside then we need a starting DE.

cvv84
09-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Not really, it comes down to what the team does with Raji and Pickett. If Pickett isnt resigned and they move Raji inside then we need a starting DE.

Well right now Raji isn't even starting. The ends are Jenkins and Jolly. Jarius Wynn has also flashed some potential at end too. Through a healthy Harrell into the mix next year too and we have some in house options. Depending on who's available early on though I could see TT getting some Dlineman later in the draft like he did with Wynn.

johbur
09-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Jolly's situation will determine how set the line is. Jolly-Pickett-Jenkins with Raji subbing in at any of those three spots is hhjj. With Jolly out, a DE is needed. Harrell is a first round bust. Only that he was 16, instead of #9 (or#2) keeps him from being the worst bust of the modern Packers era. Jarius Wynn has shown some motor, as has Mike Montgomery, but they need to bulk up. 275 doesn't cut it normally in a 3-4. Those guys are ok to have as back-ups, but if Jolly goes to the hooscow there's no depth on the line with size as Raji becomes the starter. Maybe Montgomery and Wynn will both bulk up in the off-season.

My first round pick as of today for 2010 would be CB, like Patrick Robinson. None of the CBs behind Harris and Woodson impress me as regular starters on a #1 WR. Tramon ok as a #3, and we'll see about Blackmon's progression. But Jarrett Bush? Underwood got toasted his last game and he got banged up by the WR while making tackles. Lee might come back, but I never count on guys that go out injured for the year to come back. There are easily three spots at CB that could be upgraded, more if the starters show their age...

cvv84
09-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Jolly's situation will determine how set the line is. Jolly-Pickett-Jenkins with Raji subbing in at any of those three spots is hhjj. With Jolly out, a DE is needed. Harrell is a first round bust. Only that he was 16, instead of #9 (or#2) keeps him from being the worst bust of the modern Packers era. Jarius Wynn has shown some motor, as has Mike Montgomery, but they need to bulk up. 275 doesn't cut it normally in a 3-4. Those guys are ok to have as back-ups, but if Jolly goes to the hooscow there's no depth on the line with size as Raji becomes the starter. Maybe Montgomery and Wynn will both bulk up in the off-season.

My first round pick as of today for 2010 would be CB, like Patrick Robinson. None of the CBs behind Harris and Woodson impress me as regular starters on a #1 WR. Tramon ok as a #3, and we'll see about Blackmon's progression. But Jarrett Bush? Underwood got toasted his last game and he got banged up by the WR while making tackles. Lee might come back, but I never count on guys that go out injured for the year to come back. There are easily three spots at CB that could be upgraded, more if the starters show their age...

Wynn has room to bulk up but Montgomery I think is maxed out. Both players are nice situational guys and help fill in at DE when we're in nickel packages. I don't think that Jolly or even Pickett will really determine anything though. We could just draft someone or sign a free agent and Raji's ability to play both DE and NT gives us flexability.

As for CB, we're going to play alot more zone so I don't know how I feel about drafting a CB in the 1st round. Typically you can find these guys 2-6. I really question our entire secondary though, minus Woodson. How will these guys adjust to playing more zone? Our LBs need to get penetration because this type of defense is set up to give up and make big plays. Blackmon is nothing more than a return man. Lee has been a big bust and Underwood, while raw, is a ballhawk who hopefully can develop.

Really though we could go alot of ways and its way too early to even see what we'll need next April.

Pack_Attack_4
09-09-2009, 10:34 AM
y r u talkin about next april when the season is jus a few days away

TitleTown088
09-09-2009, 10:52 AM

Well, this is a draft website. It never really stops.

Boston
09-09-2009, 12:25 PM

Who let you out of your cage.

jackalope
09-09-2009, 07:05 PM
A lot of love for the Packers from SI. 3rd in the Power Rankings, 4/9 writers have us in the Superbowl, 6/9 in the NFC Championship, 7/9 winning the North, all have us in the playoffs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/07/crystal.ball1/index.html?eref=sihpT1

Bucs_Rule
09-09-2009, 07:36 PM
The bet the number of Packer Jerseys went way down after Farve signed with Minny. Or maybe they are keeping them until it gets really cold and need to start a fire.

I actually predict the Packers to go to the SuperBowl. Losing to New England.

TitleTown088
09-09-2009, 08:06 PM
A lot of love for the Packers from SI. 3rd in the Power Rankings, 4/9 writers have us in the Superbowl, 6/9 in the NFC Championship, 7/9 winning the North, all have us in the playoffs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/07/crystal.ball1/index.html?eref=sihpT1

I don't like that one bit. Media love is usually the kiss of death. I wanted to be low key good, like 2007.

awfullyquiet
09-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't like that one bit. Media love is usually the kiss of death. I wanted to be low key good, like 2007.

especially media love from SI.

something tells me that SI writers are the harbringer of doom.

That said, the pats go 9-7 and get beat by the fins.

jackalope
09-11-2009, 07:31 PM

Look at the bright side: none of them predicted us to win the Superbowl.

awfullyquiet
09-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Look at the bright side: none of them predicted us to win the Superbowl.

I think losing the super bowl is worse.

Y'know...

Don Banks, Dominic Bonvissuto, Jim Trotter all predicted you'd lose it.

cvv84
09-11-2009, 08:22 PM

Y'know...

Don't you have anything better to do then troll an internet message board on a Friday night?? :confused:

jackalope
09-11-2009, 08:22 PM

Y'know...

Thanks, I get that. I was just saying that if hype by SI is a bad thing, then at least nobody said we'd win the Superbowl, which, in theory, would be worse.

cvv84
09-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Packers have $17 million in cap space (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/12/bucs-have-almost-double-the-cap-room-of-any-other-team/). The 2nd most in the league. Only the Bucs have more with $30 million of cap space.

No doubt we'll most likely use alot of that cap space to re-sign guys like Spitz, Colledge, Collins, and potentially some other guys like Bigby, Pickett, Jolly, Chillar, and Trammon Williams.

awfullyquiet
09-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Don't you have anything better to do then troll an internet message board on a Friday night?? :confused:

HEY. it was ONLY seven o'clock. Like it is now... once i can go out and make fun of all the ND fans i will be out.

:p

roughrider30
09-14-2009, 11:53 PM
It's good to hear the coaches aren't satisfied with the offense's performance even though we got the W.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/59277057.html

Whistler6
09-15-2009, 06:41 PM
It's good to hear the coaches aren't satisfied with the offense's performance even though we got the W.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/59277057.html

It's even better that Green Bay won the game 'despite' their offense being anemic... Last year was the complete opposite. Such a gutty win.

Anyone read Chad Ochocinco's twitter comments? Yes I said twitter... I check out the packer players and updates on that site and Nick Barnett and Chad were going back and forth. Funny stuff.

scroll down a bit:
http://twitter.com/NickBarnett

GB12
09-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Ruvell Martin signed with St. Louis. Thought he would have been picked up earlier, but I'm glad he's with a team where he'll get a chance to play. He'll be at least the #3 once he learns the offense and should have a good shot at being a starter.

jackalope
09-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Ruvell Martin signed with St. Louis. Thought he would have been picked up earlier, but I'm glad he's with a team where he'll get a chance to play. He'll be at least the #3 once he learns the offense and should have a good shot at being a starter.

Good to see he signed somewhere out of the division. I always really liked Ruvy, and I'd like to see him become a starter in the league.

TitleTown088
09-15-2009, 11:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3fLTn6Rfuo

Ocho has been talking smack about Cwood and Al for a long time. I hope they shut him down.

GB12
09-15-2009, 11:41 PM
He didn't score on us last time we played, and since then we've upgraded Ahmad Carroll with Charles Woodson.

neko4
09-16-2009, 05:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3fLTn6Rfuo

Ocho has been talking smack about Cwood and Al for a long time. I hope they shut him down.
Im a little suprised, Ocho usually respected Al

Btw, i think #4 should now be refered to as Darth Favre

Whistler6
09-16-2009, 11:32 AM
When favre comes to town, I think booing is the wrong way to go. Every Green Bay fan should wear black and greet Favre with absolute silence....Like a death in the family

drowe
09-16-2009, 11:52 AM
so, ocho cinco wants to do the lambeau leap....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/16/ochocinco-plans-to-do-the-lambeau-leap/

Boston
09-16-2009, 12:46 PM
I think Fred Smoot said the same thing, I don't think it worked out for him...

1:30

n37qkcicW8E

drowe
09-16-2009, 01:41 PM
BJ Raji and Will Blackmon were both full participants in practice today. must be a Boston College thing. hah.

TitleTown088
09-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Bigby out at leased 4 weeks. Uh the guy can't stay healthy

GB12
09-16-2009, 07:05 PM
I wish we wouldn't have cut Anthony Smith. I would much rather have him starting than Aaron Rouse. I wonder if we'll even let Rouse start or if we'll shuffle around the secondary again to put Woodson at safety.

Zycho32
09-16-2009, 07:42 PM
My 'Pizza-Gut' instinct says no. At least not with Ochocinco and whoever lines up with him in town.

As horrid as Rouse seems to be, you only get better with more experience. May as well toss him off the clif and see if he can fly.

Boston
09-16-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't know, Rouse didn't look too bad against the Bears. Let's not forget, everybody loved him his rookie season, and I doubt he completely lost his ability. Give him some time, and he'd probably end up being a better option then Bigby.

Whistler6
09-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Bigby out at leased 4 weeks. Uh the guy can't stay healthy

I bought an Atari from a thrift sale this past summer.. As the excitment inside me built up to play Pitfall 2D, I was let down when, what else, it broke down.

TitleTown088
09-17-2009, 12:22 PM
I wish we wouldn't have cut Anthony Smith. I would much rather have him starting than Aaron Rouse. I wonder if we'll even let Rouse start or if we'll shuffle around the secondary again to put Woodson at safety.
I certianly hope not.

College with a foot sprain too. MM said nothing to serious. But man, would that suck to lose him.

ImBrotherCain
09-17-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't know, Rouse didn't look too bad against the Bears. Let's not forget, everybody loved him his rookie season, and I doubt he completely lost his ability. Give him some time, and he'd probably end up being a better option then Bigby.

Well being a VTech fan and a Packer fan i still love Rouse and think he has the potential to be good. Hes fast enough to cover and tackles well enough to come into the box.

Its like someone said earlier... during his limited opportunities hes made big plays. I think he needs to get some PT and learn the position and maybe it will leave Pack fans saying Atari who?

GB12
09-17-2009, 09:39 PM
I don't know, Rouse didn't look too bad against the Bears. Let's not forget, everybody loved him his rookie season, and I doubt he completely lost his ability. Give him some time, and he'd probably end up being a better option then Bigby.Not me. I've been hating on him since preseason rookie year.

Well being a VTech fan and a Packer fan i still love Rouse and think he has the potential to be good. Hes fast enough to cover and tackles well enough to come into the box.

Its like someone said earlier... during his limited opportunities hes made big plays. I think he needs to get some PT and learn the position and maybe it will leave Pack fans saying Atari who?
That's the thing. He makes the interception every once in a while, but he doesn't play too well. People only remember the interception and not the coverage mistakes or missed tackles giving the false sense that he's good.

TitleTown088
09-18-2009, 01:44 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2009/walkthrough-revelations

Nice analysis on the defense last week.

TitleTown088
09-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Clifton just a sprain, hopefully he's back by after the bye week I'd say anything sooner is wishful thinking.

BloodBrother
09-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Why did it have to be Collins and Clifton to get hurt? 2 positions where they cannot afford injuries. Having Bush/Rouse back at safety is a freakin disaster and the O-line is already putrid with Clifton

Whistler6
09-20-2009, 08:05 PM
As much as I like the special teams play of the fullbacks we kept, it would have been nice to have the ability to bring in a guy like Antonio Smith today... Collins hurt is a massive blow.

Green Bay should be 2-0, but could very easily be 0-2 right now. Hopefully they bounce back in a BIG way next week in St Louis.

GB12
09-20-2009, 08:10 PM
As much as I like the special teams play of the fullbacks we kept, it would have been nice to have the ability to bring in a guy like Antonio Smith today... Collins hurt is a massive blow.

Green Bay should be 2-0, but could very easily be 0-2 right now. Hopefully they bounce back in a BIG way next week in St Louis.
The fullbacks really have nothing to do with it. We should have kept Smith over both Rouse and Bush.

umphrey
09-20-2009, 10:35 PM
It is really ****ing frustrating how we kept 3 fullbacks and made such a point in special teams in the offseason and our punter is Jeremy Kapinos. Then I get to watch rookies and no names consistently drop punts within the 20 or boot them for 50 yards against us.

GB12
09-20-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm getting pretty sick of people bitching about keeping 3 fullbacks. Who that we cut would have made a difference in today's game?

Anthony Smith is the only one that works, but as I already explained that has nothing to do with the fullbacks.

Whistler6
09-21-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm getting pretty sick of people bitching about keeping 3 fullbacks. Who that we cut would have made a difference in today's game?

Anthony Smith is the only one that works, but as I already explained that has nothing to do with the fullbacks.

I'm not complaining, I'm glad they kept 3 fullbacks. All 3 deserved their roster spot. I think it's more of their lack of depth at DB that is frustrating.

Penalties, lack of pass protection/running game, drops, and poor special teams play were the story of the game...Stories I should say. Yikes.

1-1 on their way to St. Louis. Big rebound game, and back on track. Gotta stay optimistic.

usmc0106
09-21-2009, 12:11 PM

The point is we are the only team in the history of the nfl to keep three fullbacks. We still cant run the football and we still suck on special teams.

Oh and if we dont keep 3 fullbacks we could have keep Anthony Smith so it does have something to do with them. Or maybe we should have kept a back up LT so two guys dont have to change postions and bring in a cold center. This maybe the stupidest team ever.

EvilMonkey
09-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Or maybe we should have kept a back up LT so two guys dont have to change postions and bring in a cold center.

Colledge is the best option at LT we have. We didn't keep a back up LT cause they are crap and Colledge proved himself serviceable when playing there last year. Having time to prepare to play there this week hopefully will help and he can do ok.

Can't say I disagree with the Smith talk, but maybe Martin can step in and be a player. Sure he hasn't played much yet because still learning the scheme and everything, but don't forget about him. I think they have to start him and hope he can step in and not be overwhelmed. Bush cannot start, needs to stay the emergency Safety (4th safety on the depth chart at best) or be off the roster cause he still sucks.

umphrey
09-21-2009, 08:37 PM

Actually my point was that it doesn't make any sense to devote 3 roster spots for fullbacks to shore up special teams but completely ignore upgrading our punter which would have been easier to do and a hell of a lot more beneficial to the ST unit. Somewhat of a hypocritical move by management IMO.

PackerLegend
09-21-2009, 10:47 PM
The Rams have scored 7 points in 2 games... if we lose... omg we better not.

Is anyone else a bit concerned about Mason Crosby? Yea some misses have been long ones but I do not feel very confident in him making any FG at any distance from what Ive seen this year going back to training camp. Amazes me Jarret Bush can stick around so long, he sucks and is only good for getting flags thrown his way.

Whistler6
09-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Jarret Bush does not deserve to be on any NFL roster let alone seeing the field. What do TT and Mike Mc see that no one else does?

Crosby will be fine I think. That long miss was a big time whiff, but he's got a great leg and can always work on accuracy. His preseason wasn't great, but if you look at his misses so far this season...Most were pretty lengthy fg's.

drowe
09-22-2009, 10:30 AM
I just wanted to point out that Donald Driver is currently 8 yards away from passing Sterling Sharpe for #2 all time for recieving yards by a Packer.

He is also 9 receptions away from passing James Lofton for #1 all time for career receptions by a Packer.

Can't wait until he's on top of both lists. I'm tired of our recieving records being dominated by the twin douchebags, Sharpe and Lofton. It will be excellent to have a great guy and great player like Driver on top. Then he can be joined by Jennings in 5 or 6 years.

Pacific
09-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Well, so much for Meredith...

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Bills-sign-OL-Meredith-Butler-to-I-R/b5970ca6-10eb-4b7d-949c-3fa2cd201eaf

GB12
09-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Oh and if we dont keep 3 fullbacks we could have keep Anthony Smith so it does have something to do with them.
No, that's exactly my point. We chose to keep Aaron Rouse and Jarrett Bush over Smith. The three fullbacks does not change that fact. Hell, we chose to go with Derrick Martin over Smith. For whatever reason that was what we decided to do with our safeties.

Or maybe we should have kept a back up LT so two guys dont have to change postions and bring in a cold center. This maybe the stupidest team ever
Wrong again. There was no one good enough to keep as a backup left tackle. By putting in Wells we are putting the best backup we have and could have had on the field. Colledge-Spitz-Wells is a hell of a lot better than Moll-Colledge-Spitz or Meredith-Colledge-Spitz.

BloodBrother
09-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Our S production is so bad that Anthony Smith is actually a guy people want back. Smith blows, but so does Rouse/Bush and even Bigby isn't that great. Collins...for all his ballhawking skills, also has some nasty lapses in coverage

basically, they need help there big time, along with OT. Draft alone won't get this done...time to pony up for a solid FA at one of these spots IMO

with all that said, we still got a full season left, and they gotta figure out a way to make things work. Every team has huge holes, just gotta find out how to mask them. OL is much harder to mask than poor safety play. They need to do everything possible to improve the OL, period

TitleTown088
09-22-2009, 10:19 PM
The hate on Jarrett Bush is a bit over blown. He is still a young cat with the skills to improve a good deal. He's a very good ST player ( despite this sunday) and has the ability to play CB/S. There is a reason teams like Tennessee were interested in him this off season.

With that said, do I want him starting right now? Absolutely not.

GB12
09-22-2009, 10:22 PM
The hate on Jarrett Bush is a bit over blown. He is still a young cat with the skills to improve a good deal. He's a very good ST player ( despite this sunday) and has the ability to play CB/S. There is a reason teams like Tennessee were interested in him this off season.

The thing is though, he isn't a very good special teams player anymore. He was the first year on the team, but since then he hasn't even been a good special teams player. If he was still a great special teamer I would have no problem with him being on the team.

BloodBrother
09-22-2009, 10:45 PM

He has the ability to play CB/S yes, but he doesn't have the ability to play either well. He's a good ST player, that's it. Dime a dozen. The reason why he gets blasted is because he seems to get flagged quite a bit despite only being a ST guy. With that said, I have no problem with the guy as long as he stays on ST. As far as him on the D...no thanks.

roughrider30
09-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Well, I just bought my ticket for the Packers- Queens game in the dome! Anyone else attending?

Whistler6
09-23-2009, 12:00 AM

I try not to jump on the "hate" bandwagon, but what has Jarret Bush done in his entire career that has even shown flashes?

Watching guys liks Blackmon and Tramon Williams I see immature players who have potential. Unlimitied potential. Looking at Bush optimistically I'm trying to pick out the positives...But what are they???

He's just not an NFL starting-caliber player. And I don't think he ever will be. That said I'm going to continue to root for him. Hmm

Whistler6
09-23-2009, 12:05 AM
I just wanted to point out that Donald Driver is currently 8 yards away from passing Sterling Sharpe for #2 all time for recieving yards by a Packer.

He is also 9 receptions away from passing James Lofton for #1 all time for career receptions by a Packer.

Can't wait until he's on top of both lists. I'm tired of our recieving records being dominated by the twin douchebags, Sharpe and Lofton. It will be excellent to have a great guy and great player like Driver on top. Then he can be joined by Jennings in 5 or 6 years.

Absolutely. Donald Driver is a guy that it is impossible to find a bad thing to say about. Great teammate, great competitor, active with the fans, late round draft pick, *gorgeous smile* (yes I'm straight and you cannot deny your love for the Driver smile), etc etc and so on.

Here's to hoping his record breaking reception is a game winner in 2 weeks against Minnesota.

BloodBrother
09-23-2009, 12:57 AM
I try not to jump on the "hate" bandwagon, but what has Jarret Bush done in his entire career that has even shown flashes?

Watching guys liks Blackmon and Tramon Williams I see immature players who have potential. Unlimitied potential. Looking at Bush optimistically I'm trying to pick out the positives...But what are they???

He's just not an NFL starting-caliber player. And I don't think he ever will be. That said I'm going to continue to root for him. Hmm

Tramon has become a pretty damn good CB already IMO. After him though, it's been a huge question mark. Blackmon hasn't shown much, Lee has shown that he gets hurt a lot and fairly easily. Underwood is the definition of raw and isn't close to making an impact. I agree with Bush, he looks like a career ST, or if he is a starter on D, it certainly isn't on a good defense

drowe
09-23-2009, 11:12 AM
wow!

Rouse cut.

Giordano signed.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

TitleTown088
09-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Well, I just bought my ticket for the Packers- Queens game in the dome! Anyone else attending?

I'll be there.

You got your wish GB12, Rouse was release and they Packers signed Matt Giordano, formerly of the Colts. He was a 4th round pick out of Cal in 2005 and started 6 games for the Colts.

http://packers.com/news/releases/2009/09/23/2/

drowe
09-23-2009, 11:21 AM
yup. just posted that.

Jarrett Bush must have a picture of Ted Thompson pleasuring a 12-year-old transgender prostitute.

TitleTown088
09-23-2009, 11:24 AM
yup. just posted that.

Jarrett Bush must have a picture of Ted Thompson pleasuring a 12-year-old transgender prostitute.

Haha. I think it came down to Special teams value, as neither is a very good safety right now. Bush is much more valuable on ST.

Whistler6
09-23-2009, 11:56 AM
I'll be there.

You got your wish GB12, Rouse was release and they Packers signed Matt Giordano, formerly of the Colts. He was a 4th round pick out of Cal in 2005 and started 6 games for the Colts.

I was just about to post this.. What the F is going on? Rouse struggled Sunday, but has shown he can be an impact player. Depth is their biggest issue, so why cut him? Of course they had to make room, but uhh....I just want to hear MM's press conference on reasoning and such.

Whistler6
09-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Per Packernews.com

"The Packers now turn to Giordano, a former fourth-round draft pick who spent the past four seasons in Indianapolis.

It seems unlikely the Packers could have Giordano ready to see significant action on Sunday at St. Louis. But with Atari Bigby (knee) out and fellow starter Nick Collins (clavicle) questionable, the Packers couldn't go into the game with only Derrick Martin and Jarrett Bush available. So, Giordano is almost certain to be in uniform.

As expected, the Packers also signed tackle Dane Randolph to the practice squad to replace tackle Jamon Meredith, whom Buffalo signed on Tuesday"

umphrey
09-23-2009, 12:22 PM
What a terrible move. Even if Giordano is the better player, so many questions remain. Why now since he plays the same position and has been available for weeks? Why cut a player that knows the defense when our depth is non existent for a player who doesn't?

In the last year or two TT has really made some boneheaded moves IMO. At least most of them have involved the bottom of the depth chart.

roughrider30
09-23-2009, 01:15 PM
I'll be there.

Nice I might need some support as I am forced to go with a couple Viking fans.

I have no idea what to think about this move. I really don't see how it benefits us in any way, unless Rouse's injury is worse than lead on. I guess we just have to trust TT, even though this move really confuses me.

Boston
09-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Rouse isn't really the best option right now, but I'd like to think he's better than somebody who has yet to see the playbook...

TitleTown088
09-23-2009, 03:07 PM
I was just about to post this.. What the F is going on? Rouse struggled Sunday, but has shown he can be an impact player. Depth is their biggest issue, so why cut him? Of course they had to make room, but uhh....I just want to hear MM's press conference on reasoning and such.

Depth actually isn't that big of concern right now. Collins practiced today and cutting Rouse is probably an indication that Collins's injury isn't serious. Bigby ( out for a couple more weeks), Bush, Martin, Giordano, Underwood, and we know Wood can shift over there if need be ( not that anyone wants to see that). Quality perhaps is an issue, but depth isn't overly important right now.

TitleTown088
09-23-2009, 03:10 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/23/favre-calls-injury-report-fine-very-unfair-opens-packers-to-possible-scrutiny/

Just shut up Brent. Stop talking already.
------------------------------

Nick Collins, Brandon Jackson and BJ Raji all practiced for the Packers today. And Aaron Kampman is wearing a cast on his right hand.

Clifton won't be back until after the bye. :(

drowe
09-23-2009, 03:27 PM
well, it may sound overly optimistic, but i'm ok with the line without clifton. if nothing else, it really gives us a chance to see what Colledge brings to the table as an LT. both tackle positions are gonna have to be addressed in a big way in the next offseason. it would be really nice if we knew whether or not we can get one of the tackles internally.

great news that Collins will likely play. it's just too early in the year to have our secondary THAT depleted.

princefielder28
09-23-2009, 03:48 PM
well, it may sound overly optimistic, but i'm ok with the line without clifton. if nothing else, it really gives us a chance to see what Colledge brings to the table as an LT. both tackle positions are gonna have to be addressed in a big way in the next offseason. it would be really nice if we knew whether or not we can get one of the tackles internally.

great news that Collins will likely play. it's just too early in the year to have our secondary THAT depleted.

It will be nice to see what Colledge can do against a team like the Rams but that following week could be a nightmare with Jared Allen going up against him. yikes.

PackerLegend
09-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Cutting Rouse reminds me of cutting Jon Ryan for Derrick Frost! Yikes. I thought Rouse did alright, I mean he didnt really do much but now is like the worst time to possible cut him when both our starting safety's could be out.

TitleTown088
09-23-2009, 04:43 PM
It will be nice to see what Colledge can do against a team like the Rams but that following week could be a nightmare with Jared Allen going up against him. yikes.

Yeah, Colledge vs Allen could make for a very long day.

drowe
09-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Yeah, Colledge vs Allen could make for a very long day.

i'd be surprised if Colledge didn't have some training wheels..in the form of a fullback or TE lined up behind him.

TitleTown088
09-23-2009, 07:21 PM
i'd be surprised if Colledge didn't have some training wheels..in the form of a fullback or TE lined up behind him.

Which blows because the offense usually blows when they have to do that ( although it has anyways).

GB12
09-23-2009, 07:54 PM
I was just about to post this.. What the F is going on? Rouse struggled Sunday, but has shown he can be an impact player. No, he hasn't. I've been saying this since his rookie year, but no one has listened. Rouse got extremely overrated on this forum. He is not a good safety, at all. He is a big safety but doesn't use the size to his advantage and is little help against the run. He gets beat in coverage all the time and makes mistakes that should never be made. However since he comes up with an interception every so often none of that seemed to matter to most fans.
Cutting Rouse reminds me of cutting Jon Ryan for Derrick Frost! Yikes. I thought Rouse did alright, I mean he didnt really do much but now is like the worst time to possible cut him when both our starting safety's could be out.
Not at all. If anything cutting Anthony Smith to keep Aaron Rouse is more like that move. Aaron Rouse is not good. He has had time to show he's not good. He was cashing his checks based on potential the past couple years. Now in his third year, after showing no improvement since he was a rookie, he has let that potential go to waste and there's no reason to keep him around. Aaron Rouse is garbage, and now that he has been cut maybe people will realize that.

GB12
09-23-2009, 08:01 PM
well, it may sound overly optimistic, but i'm ok with the line without clifton. if nothing else, it really gives us a chance to see what Colledge brings to the table as an LT. both tackle positions are gonna have to be addressed in a big way in the next offseason. it would be really nice if we knew whether or not we can get one of the tackles internally.You know, I had been pushing the Colledge to LT idea for the past couple years as hard as anyone else, but I have gotten off that this year. I've changed my mind and think Colledge should stay at LG for his career. A LT should be drafted in the first round to take over for Clifton.

The problem is we can't really afford to do that. Barbre already requires that on the right side. We can't do a whole lot if we're helping the tackles on both sides.

Whistler6
09-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Time to play over under...

Over/under 2.5 sack for Chris Long and the St. Louis d-line?

Over/under 75 yards rushing for Ryan Grant?

Over/under 3 (legitimate) drops by the WR corps?

This needs to be a game where Green Bay looks good in all phases, wins about 31-10, and leaves feeling healthy and strong about going into Minnesota and competing for a WIN.

PackerLegend
09-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Well the Rams have scored a whole 7 points in 2 games. We better win and in pretty convincing fashion otherwise that will not be good. I know they lost 28-0 to the Seahawks in week 1. Dont remember their week 2 score but I dont think it was close.

Whistler6
09-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Well the Rams have scored a whole 7 points in 2 games. We better win and in pretty convincing fashion otherwise that will not be good. I know they lost 28-0 to the Seahawks in week 1. Dont remember their week 2 score but I dont think it was close.

9-7 loss to the Redskins. Watched a bit of it, quite the shootout

TitleTown088
09-24-2009, 12:05 AM
You know, I had been pushing the Colledge to LT idea for the past couple years as hard as anyone else, but I have gotten off that this year. I've changed my mind and think Colledge should stay at LG for his career. A LT should be drafted in the first round to take over for Clifton.

Amen. I'd love to get a high end LT. Maybe we get a shot at one this year. But who wouldn't? I'd love Colledge paired along the left side with a Charles Brown type guy. No more 4th/5th round OL talent please.

One thing is for sure, Colledge can possibly make himself A LOT of money in these next few weeks if he plays well at LT.

Pack_Attack_4
09-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Time to play over under...

Over/under 2.5 sack for Chris Long and the St. Louis d-line?

Over/under 75 yards rushing for Ryan Grant?

Over/under 3 (legitimate) drops by the WR corps?

This needs to be a game where Green Bay looks good in all phases, wins about 31-10, and leaves feeling healthy and strong about going into Minnesota and competing for a WIN.

Under-The o line hopefully will bounce back this week after a poor proformance last week(odom 5 sacks)

Over-I thnk hes in for his 1st 100yrd game this year

Under-too many drops last week (two on the 1st drive of the game) i think will do much better holding on to the ball this week.

Packystan
09-24-2009, 03:11 PM
To me, the release of Rouse only make the cutting of Anthony Smith more confusing, but this is not a move that will kill our season.

Hopefully now with a week of practice at LT, Daryn can work on getting his footwork down, and use his hands more effectively. He had absolutely no punch last Sunday, and his lateral movement is very suspect. If he doesn't improve by the Queens game, he'll probably wish he was facing Antwan Odom again, because Jared Allen will eat him alive.

Giantsfan1080
09-24-2009, 03:12 PM
You guys have any input on Aaron Rouse? We were just rewarded him off waivers.

TitleTown088
09-24-2009, 04:07 PM

I just wrote in the giants forum. He sucks. He's big which would lead you to think he's good vs the run, but he isn't. His pass coverage is bad. He takes terrible angles on the ball and he plays soft. Hope he dosen't see the field. The only reason the packer ever kept him around was because of potential, something he never reached.

Whistler6
09-24-2009, 04:15 PM

See: Poor man's Roy Williams (eg. can hit, can't cover)

Mr.Regular
09-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Rouse is garbage. I'm surprised he got picked up so quickly.

GB12
09-24-2009, 07:18 PM
See: Poor man's Roy Williams (eg. can hit, can't cover)
That's a terrible comparison. The two are nothing a like.

When is the last time Rouse hit someone? Has he ever hit someone?

TitleTown088
09-24-2009, 07:27 PM
In all fairness he has hit someone this season, when he got rolled by Cedric Benson that is.

Packystan
09-24-2009, 07:31 PM
The only play that stands out when I think of Aaron Rouse is his 99 yard interception return last year off Peyton, which gave the coaches more reason to think that he would live up to his potential, but that obviously hasn't happened.

Giantsfan1080
09-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Ok thanks for the input guys.

Whistler6
09-24-2009, 10:42 PM
That's a terrible comparison. The two are nothing a like.

Didn't say he "does" hit...I said he "can" hit. And at Virginia Tech he was a big time hitter. Has he done anything besides love tap anyone this season or as a Packer. No.

Boston
09-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Is there a reason we didn't play Bishop at all against Cincinatti? It's understandable not playing him when the defense is rolling, but we looked like complete **** that entire game, and Bishop couldn't have done any worse.

Whistler6
09-25-2009, 02:42 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Raji questionable after injury during practice...ughhhh

Whistler6
09-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Is there a reason we didn't play Bishop at all against Cincinatti? It's understandable not playing him when the defense is rolling, but we looked like complete **** that entire game, and Bishop couldn't have done any worse.

That's a really good point. The linebackers who were playing didn't show much if anything during last Sunday's game. He played, and played well during the preaseason so I'm suprised he isn't seeing the field more.

Especially with Barnett coming back from injury you'd think Bishop would get more reps. He's not the biggest guy, but one of his hits could have changed the tone of a game on a whim.

TitleTown088
09-25-2009, 03:51 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Raji questionable after injury during practice...ughhhh

Not a concern. Harrell should fill in for him just fine.

awfullyquiet
09-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Not a concern. Harrell should fill in for him just fine.

it's also not like raji is actually starting.

TitleTown088
09-25-2009, 07:18 PM
it's also not like raji is actually starting.

Yeah, but Harrell is on IR. It was sarcasm.

awfullyquiet
09-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah, but Harrell is on IR. It was sarcasm.

i missed that part.

BloodBrother
09-26-2009, 07:46 AM
The reason why Bishop most likely doens't play is because of his liability in coverage. That said, he couldn't do any worse in the run D compared to what the LBers did the past week

againt hough, it starts with the D-line. They were pretty bad as well. Pickett particularly had a bad game, getting blown off the ball completely on a number of occasions. That isn't what you want from a 3-4 NT. Granted, whenever the d-line did do well to get into the backfield, the LBers did a fantastic job of whiffing on would be tackles

TitleTown088
09-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Apparently Clifton has a chance to play on Monday. That would be huge if he were healthy enough.

Also, did you guys notice that there was a package where Chillar was playing SS? 5 Lbers on the field to stop the run.

Whistler6
09-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Posted this in the random discussion thread, but couldn't help to bring it up again

Viking fans uhhh... The team is 2-0 and playing at home. Down late, with little hope to pull the game out, fans were crowding the exits to get out.

Some stayed, but there were a load who had thought, "nope game over, Brett Favre sucks, see ya"

Viking fans are like the "Super Fan" in Major League. On board when its gooood, off the wagon as soon as a loss is looming....Then BOOM they pull it out and everyone knew it all along, back on board baby! Brett Favre is God, blah blah blah.

TitleTown088
09-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Posted this in the random discussion thread, but couldn't help to bring it up again

Viking fans uhhh... The team is 2-0 and playing at home. Down late, with little hope to pull the game out, fans were crowding the exits to get out.

Some stayed, but there were a load who had thought, "nope game over, Brett Favre sucks, see ya"

Viking fans are like the "Super Fan" in Major League. On board when its gooood, off the wagon as soon as a loss is looming....Then BOOM they pull it out and everyone knew it all along, back on board baby! Brett Favre is God, blah blah blah. What do you expect?

TitleTown088
09-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Packers worked out Levi Jones today.

GB12
09-29-2009, 12:25 AM
I find it hard to believe that a tackle cut halfway through a $30 million contract will help much, but it's good to know they realize we need to fix that.

johbur
09-29-2009, 01:58 AM
Levi Jones is a quality person, not sure what he has left football wise after his injuries. He was always a huge donor to schools in Southern Arizona. He'd fit in with the GB lifestyle. If he is healthy, he's got to be better than Barbre, who seems to be at least a year away with his technique.

Given the OT situation, it'd be nice if they gave Tauscher a look.

That was an interesting package with Chillar at SS. Tells you what the state of our SS is. Not sure which was worse, cutting Rouse now or cutting Anthony Smith before the season.

GB12
09-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Given the OT situation, it'd be nice if they gave Tauscher a look.Tauscher worked out for the Chiefs. If he's good enough to play I'd be up with bringing him back. Even after the injuries he's got to be better than what we currently have.

Not sure which was worse, cutting Rouse now or cutting Anthony Smith before the season.Anthony Smith and it's not even close. Smith is a decent backup while Rouse sucks balls. Rouse should have been cut, he never should have made the team in the first place. Smith however played very well in the preseason and has experience in the 3-4. Cutting Smith was a mistake, cutting Rouse was a good move.

Whistler6
09-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Per Twitter...?

JermichaelF88: I'm hungry for the rock need it in my hands!!!!

I guess he isn't counting his drops as getting "the rock" in his hands

GB12
09-29-2009, 09:26 PM
I ******* hate twitter.

Whistler6
09-29-2009, 09:29 PM
I ******* hate twitter.

I hate the actually posting part, but seeing what Barnett, Ryan Grant, Packers news sites, etc. are posting/doing/thinking is actually pretty entertaining

gpngc
09-29-2009, 10:53 PM
I have Jermichael Finley in fantasy.

How does he play more than half the snaps in game 1, then catch 5 balls in game 2 and not show up on the box score in game 3? did he get snaps? looks? is he worth a start this week against the vikes? i ask this because vernon davis lit them up and the packers passing attack should spread them out even more....

vikes_28
09-29-2009, 11:34 PM
It's going to be a great game on monday night. I could see both teams tied til the final seconds.

Boston
09-29-2009, 11:46 PM
I have Jermichael Finley in fantasy.

How does he play more than half the snaps in game 1, then catch 5 balls in game 2 and not show up on the box score in game 3? did he get snaps? looks? is he worth a start this week against the vikes? i ask this because vernon davis lit them up and the packers passing attack should spread them out even more....

I'd hold on to him if I was you. The Packers are trying to figure **** out on offense right now, and once they do, he's going to play a big part in it.

umphrey
09-30-2009, 02:21 AM
Today I saw Raji and Harrell making big time plays

In Madden

If only...

TitleTown088
09-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Woodson won defensive player of the month. Yea

TitleTown088
09-30-2009, 02:37 PM

Also, Rodgers is a much better model than Cutler.

http://www.vizioprofiles.com/

Whistler6
09-30-2009, 09:43 PM

No player is more deserving. He is playing absolutely lights out. Stopping the run, snagging INTs... So fun to watch him play

drowe
10-06-2009, 03:56 PM
some good stuff on jsonline now. check it out.

most significantly, the Packers brought Mark Tauscher in for a workout. said they set october 1st as the date he'd be ready to play when the injury happened.

Will Blackmon out for the year. yikes. another injury for him. great when healthy, but it's getting harder to justify a roster spot for him. i think we've gotten all we're gonna get out of him.

Charles Woodson called out Capers for the lack of blitzing. McCarthy was cool with it.

Jared Allen is a worthless human being.

McCarthy had some high praise for TJ Lang and how he played late in the game.

TitleTown088
10-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Will Blackmon out for the year. yikes. another injury for him. great when healthy, but it's getting harder to justify a roster spot for him. i think we've gotten all we're gonna get out of him.

I knew that was the case as soon as I saw it happen. That sucks though. Need Jordy to step up in the return game and Underwood's time to play most likely.

Smokey
10-06-2009, 05:50 PM
most significantly, the Packers brought Mark Tauscher in for a workout. said they set october 1st as the date he'd be ready to play when the injury happened.

This is great news. Great news. The obvious protection issues being what they are Tausch has got to be a significant improvement.

jackalope
10-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Happy that we brought in Tauscher. If he's good enough to play football, he's better than what we have at RT now.

I usually hate hearing that a player ran his mouth off, but Woodson is absolutely right. The lack of a pass rush was the most frustrating thing last night. The QB constantly had all day, and for some reason we kept sending a three man rush and doing nothing.

GB12
10-06-2009, 07:52 PM
This is great news. Great news. The obvious protection issues being what they are Tausch has got to be a significant improvement.
The only thing that concerns me is that the Chiefs worked him out last week and didn't offer him a contract. The Chiefs offensive line is just as bad as ours if not slightly worse.

Why? If he's healthy and is performing he gets a roster spot, if not he doesn't. He'll go on IR and that roster spot will be open now. There is no liability in using a roster spot on him if he's healthy at the beginning of the year.
I knew that was the case as soon as I saw it happen. That sucks though. Need Jordy to step up in the return game and Underwood's time to play most likely.
Blackmon almost never gets on the field for defense, so nothing should change there.

As for returns, Nelson looked pretty damn good last night. He had some nice runbacks, although they got moved back for holding. I don't really see this loss as anything big. Whether it's Nelson or going back to Tramon Williams, we should be alright there. The announcers last night were talking up Blackmon like he was amazing and it really hurt to lose him. Don't know what that was about.

PackerLegend
10-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Ya Blackmon is explosive but since preseason it sure seemed like everytime Jordy returned kickoffs he did alot better.

Maybe im in the minority but Kampman still isnt the same and I dont see he coming back next year. If we could franchise and trade him like we did with Corey Williams id be happy. Maybe he will still improve alot but idk. Class act and hasnt really did anything wrong but he doesn't seem to be much of a difference maker like he was in the 4-3.

Aren't are OLB's suppose to be our main source of pass rush?

EvilMonkey
10-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Aren't are OLB's suppose to be our main source of pass rush?

Ideally, yes, but we prefer to put them in a zone 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage and see if our magical, invisible blitzing fairies can sack the QB.

So far, they have not been successful as a real blitzing LB could be.

umphrey
10-06-2009, 11:46 PM
I don't care about losing Blackmon. He's a decent returner but he always takes up a valuable roster spot doing just that when we have other guys just as good. He's never going to be a decent corner and you've seen his prime at KR. Use Jordy to return and activate Underwood and that's that.

drowe
10-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Maybe im in the minority but Kampman still isnt the same and I dont see he coming back next year. If we could franchise and trade him like we did with Corey Williams id be happy. Maybe he will still improve alot but idk. Class act and hasnt really did anything wrong but he doesn't seem to be much of a difference maker like he was in the 4-3.

oh, i completely agree. Kampman's heart just hasn't been in it since the 3-4 switch. he wants to have his hand down somewhere. really hope something can be worked out...i know player for player trades are rare...but, seems like there's a 4-3 DE in Carolina that wants to be a 3-4 OLB...and we have a 3-4 OLB that wants to be a 4-3 DE...........

TitleTown088
10-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Blackmon almost never gets on the field for defense, so nothing should change there.

You know what I meant. As in on the active roster.

I highly doubt TT would just let Kampman just walk if he decided to part with him. Also, keep in mind it's only Kampmans 4th game at Lber, he could play better.

GB12
10-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Looks like Tauscher is basically a done deal already.

Babre set for Tauscher: Whenever the deal with Mark Tauscher gets done, starting right tackle Allen Barbre said he'll be ready.
"I plan on competing and seeing what happens," Barbre said. "He's a great guy, he can play football and he's done it for a long time."
He wouldn't have made that comment if he wasn't sure Tauscher was coming back.

Whistler6
10-08-2009, 08:21 PM
http://deadspin.com/5377325/philly-fans-arent-the-only-ones-who-get-stabby

Wow, well I thought Packer fans were better than this... Brett Favre torching the Packers killed me inside and still is, but not to the point of wanting to stab anyone.

Whistler6
10-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Anyone else just watch Derrick Frost boom that punt in the UFL game? I think he almost reached 40 yards. Glad he's gone, but kinda interesting game.

Primate
10-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Derrick Frost is dead to me.

RedVision
10-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Derrick Frost is dead to me.

He should'nt have been alive to you in the first place, terrible, terrible player, how he hung into the NFL for all those years is a great unknown.

Should have kept my boy jon ryan.

PackerLegend
10-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Have we signed Tauscher yet?

TitleTown088
10-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Taush signed today.

Pack_Attack_4
10-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Good to see we brought Taush back we really need help along the o line and hopefully hes jus what the packers need to get on a roll.

Smokey
10-12-2009, 01:50 PM
I agree. I'm hoping the old horse still has some fire in him.

drowe
10-12-2009, 01:52 PM
yeah, this CAN'T be a bad move. if he plays at a mediocre level for the rest of the season, he'll be a ginormous upgrade over what we've had.

Boston
10-12-2009, 02:38 PM
yeah, this CAN'T be a bad move. if he plays at a mediocre level for the rest of the season, he'll be a ginormous upgrade over what we've had.

Couple this with the fact that Clifton is coming back next week and our O-line might take a step up from abysmal. I just hope Capers knows what he has to do to fix the defense, like, uhhh, listen to whatever Charles "God" Woodson says.

drowe
10-12-2009, 04:04 PM
from the practice reports today...

Clifton practiced. should be good to go.

Atari Bigby might even make a return.

Barbre is still the starting RT...for now.

COULD be back to full strength. that'd be huge.

PackerLegend
10-12-2009, 04:04 PM
I agree. I'm hoping the old horse still has some fire in him.

Glad he is back! Is he not like 2 years younger then Clifton?

jackalope
10-12-2009, 04:22 PM

Exactly, it's hard to imagine him being any worse than Barbre. And if he is, well, we still have Barbre. Clifton back on the left side means everyone can shift back into place and our line will be not terrible.

TitleTown088
10-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Barbre has not been bad aside from week one. It's been blown out of proportion. The pressure has been coming mostly from the left since then, not the right side of the line. I won't be surprised if he holds Tauscher off, he's not as good at pass protection, but he's a hell of a lot better than Tauscher in run blocking.

umphrey
10-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Start with a question: Does anyone think Tauscher can play anywhere besides RT?

Now what I want to talk about. Think about this statement for a second:
Sacks are to Aaron Rodgers as interceptions are to Brett Favre

The amount of avoidable sacks he takes are killing our offense. I'm not saying our offensive line is good, but it isn't as terrible as its been made out to be, particularly in the last 2 games (MIN and STL).

Our running game is actually decent and looking up with Brandon Jackson returning. We average 4.2 YPC good for 12th in the NFL, yet we are 29th in the league in attempts/game at 23.5.

So why don't the stats match up? Why don't we run the ball more if we have been relatively effective at it?

The problem is the sacks we take on 1st and 2nd down. How many times can you remember this happening:
1st and 10: Rodgers drops back, skips all his reads, then tries to outrun a safety, DB or LB on a blitz and takes a sack for -7.
2nd and 17: Complete a pass within 5 yards of the LOS and stretch it into a 8 yard gain.
3rd and 9: Now we have to complete a medium-long pass. Rodgers faces the blitz once again and since he is so inept at handling it, our conversion chances are slimmer than ever.

If he just avoids that first down sack it makes all the difference. 2nd and possibly 3rd down are run/pass downs instead of pass. Less blitz to deal with, able to run the ball, everything goes like it should. We can't pound the rock because we are always playing catch up. Not just on the scoreboard but on down and distance. If he could just avoid those negative plays I think our team is built to be very effective converting 3rd and 5 and maybe our drives would stop dying on one stupid play by our quarterback.

I'll finish by saying that aside from the sacks he takes, Rodgers has been playing at a pro bowl level. If he got the 5-7 seconds some quarterbacks got he'd look like Tom Brady but he screws up way too much when all he has to do is drop 3 or 5 steps and throw, and when he tries to get something out of a busted play he does more harm than good.

PackerLegend
10-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Really dude? Our O-line blows... the only reason we have a 4.2 rush average is because o Rodgers 6.1 YPC, Grant has 3.8 and hardly ever has holes. He seems to finally get a decent run in the end of games so his average doesn't look as bad as it really is. There is a reason we dont run because the coaches have no faith in the garbage. Yeah Rodgers sometimes holds the ball a bit to long but most of the time guys are immediately in his face. For him to play the way he has thus far behind that line is amazing. Besides the sacks aren't all his fault like Favre's dumb*** int's he threw. Theres a bigger difference as well, sacks will hurt you but int's will kill you.

Smokey
10-12-2009, 07:04 PM
On the subject of old dogs coming home, Allan Rossum was released by the 49ers today:

http://blog.theredzone.org/ViewItem.asp?Entry=3412

Nelson should be able to competently handle the return duties but Rossum was special when we had him. A foolish move in my opinion to let him go in the first place.

TitleTown088
10-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Apparently if Cliffy can't go Lang will start at LT, not Colledge.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/64002082.html

Hawk
10-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Glad to see Tausch back in a Packers jersey. He always was one of my favorite Packers.

Pack_Attack_4
10-13-2009, 12:04 AM
Really dude? Our O-line blows... the only reason we have a 4.2 rush average is because o Rodgers 6.1 YPC, Grant has 3.8 and hardly ever has holes. He seems to finally get a decent run in the end of games so his average doesn't look as bad as it really is. There is a reason we dont run because the coaches have no faith in the garbage. Yeah Rodgers sometimes holds the ball a bit to long but most of the time guys are immediately in his face. For him to play the way he has thus far behind that line is amazing. Besides the sacks aren't all his fault like Favre's dumb*** int's he threw. .

Theres a bigger difference as well, sacks will hurt you but int's will kill you.

well said, i couldent of put it better myself.

AJHawk50
10-13-2009, 12:22 PM
I am glad to have Tauscher back on the team.

PackerLegend
10-13-2009, 10:47 PM
The Packers vs Vikings Nov 1st game was moved from 12 to 3:15... Something about the Phillies and the playoffs conflicting with I think it was the Eagles vs Giants game got moved up. So the 2 games flip flopped times.

awfullyquiet
10-14-2009, 12:53 PM
I'll finish by saying that aside from the sacks he takes, Rodgers has been playing at a pro bowl level. If he got the 5-7 seconds some quarterbacks got he'd look like Tom Brady but he screws up way too much when all he has to do is drop 3 or 5 steps and throw, and when he tries to get something out of a busted play he does more harm than good.

Seriously. Who really gets 7 seconds in the pocket?

Little Leaguers.

drowe
10-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Apparently if Cliffy can't go Lang will start at LT, not Colledge.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/64002082.html

yeah, apparently the coaches were very impressed by him in the Vikings game.

AWESOME to see. i bet they'll let Colledge walk in free agency and Lang will be the new LG in '10.

drowe
10-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Seriously. Who really gets 7 seconds in the pocket?

Little Leaguers.

...and the vikings in their last game against the packers.

mqtirishfan
10-14-2009, 02:45 PM
yeah, apparently the coaches were very impressed by him in the Vikings game.

AWESOME to see. i bet they'll let Colledge walk in free agency and Lang will be the new LG in '10.

Which would suck, seeing as how Colledge is a good LG and they're impressed with Lang at LT.

TitleTown088
10-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Let the best offensive lineman walk? Child please.

Quinn Johnson to be active this sunday. I'm pretty excited for that. Hammer time.

Whistler6
10-15-2009, 10:11 AM
One reason I love Aaron Rodgers... Despite being sacked 20 times (league high) in the 1st 4 games, he refuses to bash the o-line. He takes just as much blame as anyone. Stand up teammate.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4561380

TitleTown088
10-15-2009, 11:41 AM
One reason I love Aaron Rodgers... Despite being sacked 20 times (league high) in the 1st 4 games, he refuses to bash the o-line. He takes just as much blame as anyone. Stand up teammate.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4561380 You don't prefer the Manning approach " we had protection issues."

Whistler6
10-15-2009, 08:42 PM
You don't prefer the Manning approach " we had protection issues."

protection issues and an "idiot kicker" hah.

Whistler6
10-15-2009, 09:42 PM
With the trade deadline looming and people throwing out pretty much crazy rumors... Any chances the Packers offer up three 1st round picks for Brett Favre to return to Green Bay?

Whistler6
10-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Supposed to be a joke because that was part of the trade clause when TT sent Favre to the Jets... I failed.

drowe
10-19-2009, 11:39 AM
ok. trade deadline is tomorrow.

Bengals just lost their DE for the season and they're gonna be in a dog fight for a playoff spot....wonder if they'd be willing to overpay for Kampman.

I would really like to see some sort of move made. We have a good team with a lot of very strong points, but many glaring weaknesses. if something can be done to address the weaknesses, the sky is the limit.

PackerLegend
10-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Ya I wouldn't mind trading Kampman, he clearly hasnt been as effective in the 3-4 compared to the 4-3. Yea this is his first time playing the position but I think he is gone after the year anyways. Free agent if you didnt know after this season.

Boston
10-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Unless we get a great deal on a good tackle, I don't want to trade Kampman. Having him put his hand on the ground now gives our defense a completely different look and allows him to better rush the passer.

Splat
10-19-2009, 05:37 PM
You guys just worked out ex Packer RB A.Green pre PFT.

Smokey
10-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Ahman & Dominic Rhodes.

A long shot sure but something's got to get the running game going.

On trading Kampman: I have mixed feelings on this. Kampman's a consummate professional and a very hard worker. But during the offseason transition I believed he was better suited for a 4-3 end and, while it can be argued he's being misused, he hasn't lit the world on fire as a 3-4 OLB.

And his contract is up after this year. Would the Packers be willing to pay to keep him as a 3-4 OLB considering what he's going to fetch as a 4-3 DE? I say no and this is the most critical point. Does Kampman's value in trade outweigh his use through the remaining 11 games?

Would Thompson, Poppinga, or Jones be an upgrade to Kampman? Of course not. The question is how dramatic of a dropoff it would be.

If the Bengals were to offer their 2010 1st rounder (and potentially more) for Kampman I'd say take it and use it to further solidify the defense, running game or offensive line.

PackerLegend
10-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Ya I heard that, we worked out Dominic Rhodes as well. Mehh pretty sure there washed up but ok.

TitleTown088
10-19-2009, 11:09 PM
I want to start off by saying that this is likely complete crap, I've never heard anything about profootballweekly, and I would not even believe the Brown to be stupid enough to do this, but I'll give you guys a little something to drool over momentarily...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/10/19/trade-chatter-goes-into-high-gear

Already having traded Winslow and Edwards, the Browns may be busily working the phones as we speak. While they have already publicly denied rumors that they would consider dealing QB Brady Quinn, who recently put his suburban home up for sale, or hot-shot return specialist Josh Cribbs, we hear there are a number of interesting players who are drawing interest, led by former first-round OT Joe Thomas, a Wisconsin graduate who could be a very attractive fit on a Packers offensive line that has surrendered a league-high 25 sacks this season. It's worth noting that the Packers gave up five sacks Sunday, and veteran OLT Chad Clifton reinjured the right ankle that forced him to miss the team's previous two games.

I'd ship two first rounders in a heartbeat, but its not happening.

GB12
10-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Joe Thomas for the 2010 Packers draft. It'd be totally worth it.

Boston
10-19-2009, 11:43 PM
What if we packaged Hawk with a first or second round draft pick? It's not likely, but if we made a trade of this proportion, we'd immediately be an elite team, just like that.

TitleTown088
10-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Someone brought to my attention how great it would be to see Joe Thomas pancake block Jarred Allen, and "hog-tie" him.

mqtirishfan
10-20-2009, 01:06 AM
What if we packaged Hawk with a first or second round draft pick? It's not likely, but if we made a trade of this proportion, we'd immediately be an elite team, just like that.

Hawk for Thomas straight up. Sell them on the local hero angle. :P

roidrunner
10-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Hawk for Thomas straight up. Sell them on the local hero angle. :P

I think they have had their run on the local hero aspect, i mean just ask them what they think of Brady Quinn

drowe
10-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Yeah. Hawk and our 1st for Joe Thomas would make me real happy.

Can't believe Cleveland would even consider making that deal. he's an elite talent and he's very young and locked up for a few years. rebuilding starts up front. And they have a great start with Thomas and Alex Mack.

TitleTown088
10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
No big trades but Ahman Green signed. haha

PackerLegend
10-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Who did we cut to make room?

Green is washed up, has fumble issues and will last half of a quarter until he gets hurt again. He was awesome back in the day except for all the fumble's but hes not batman anymore. Did he ever play in the ZBS? maybe we will bring back Rivera, Flanagan and Whale hoping for old times again.

TitleTown088
10-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Who did we cut to make room?

Probably Wynn.

PackerLegend
10-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Does anyone know why we are so hesitant on using Tramon Williams on punt returns? All I have ever seen from him on returns is good. I would hate him to get hurt on a return but I don't want Woodson punt returning. I don't even remember the Lions throwing at Woodson once.

TitleTown088
10-20-2009, 05:09 PM
They said they put Woodson back there on Sunday after previously playing Tramon because it was windy and he was more experienced.

PackerLegend
10-20-2009, 05:27 PM
No big trades but Ahman Green signed. haha

Do you or anyone have a link? I don't see anything.

TitleTown088
10-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Do you or anyone have a link? I don't see anything.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/65073012.html

http://twitter.com/DarkKnight1634

GB12
10-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Green hasn't been signed.

But Green's agent, Joby Branion, said there is no deal, verbal or otherwise.
"Nothing's happened," Branion said via email. "Don't know if anything will happen (Wednesday), either."http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

It seems to be dependant on Wynn's status.

Green is washed up, has fumble issues and will last half of a quarter until he gets hurt again. He was awesome back in the day except for all the fumble's but hes not batman anymore. Did he ever play in the ZBS? maybe we will bring back Rivera, Flanagan and Whale hoping for old times again.
Yes. Our first year of it was his last with us. He topped 1,000 yards in 14 games that year. He also played in the ZBS the past two years in Houston.

I know he's not going to do much, but I think it'd be kind of cool to bring him back. He was a good guy, gave us some really great years, and seemed to love being a Packer. We let him go at the right time and avoided giving him a huge contract. I wouldn't mind him in Green Bay for the price he'd require now. There'd be no risk involved and he'd come in with low expectations. If he's even an average backup it'd be worth it. He could probably handle the third down back role. We used to be able to kill with him on screens too. We have the line that should be able to execute screens very well with how athletic they are. I'd love to see that aspect back in our offense.

TitleTown088
10-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Green hasn't been signed.

I saw that. I'm pretty sure it won't be announced until later, but if he's saying it on his twitter page and it all over I'm sure its pretty much a done deal.

PackerLegend
10-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Well if its on his Twitter page then idk. "IM A PACKER AGAIN!!!!! IM BACK!!" thats what he wrote. Guess we will just wait and see.

RockJock07
10-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Even if Green signs, will he play? MM hasn't really showed a desire to run the ball and seems as if he would rather throw it all over the damn field.

looking at the schedule, I'm worried about the back to back games vs. Dallas and San Fran. I think the packers should win but losing either of those games would throw some serious heat on them to be close to perfect the rest of the way. Their last 5 games are pretty tough, back to back road games in Chicago and Pittsburgh is key, must at least take the one in Chicago.