PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83

cvv84
01-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Would anybody else throw a 1st rounder at Cleveland for Josh Cribbs? I know that doesn't address OT or CB, but man would that light up their special teams and provide yet another homerun threat.

I'm guessing this isn't even a thought to TT, but I can dream.

I wouldn't want him at that price. Blackmon is a very good return man in his own right and he should be back at 100% to start the season.

AJHawk50
01-11-2010, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't want him at that price. Blackmon is a very good return man in his own right and he should be back at 100% to start the season.
I would agree with this. Blackmon is pretty good, Cribbs is better but not for a first round pick.

Boston
01-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Why do the Packers always seem to lose these classic games...

cvv84
01-11-2010, 01:41 PM

At least we have the Ice Bowl :/

Twiddler
01-11-2010, 01:42 PM

True. This past month has sucked. At least we know our hearts are healthy though, because any Packer fan with a bad ticker would have lost it against the Steelers or Cards.

Whistler6
01-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Remember Dirk Diggler's final line in Boogie Nights?
"I am a star"

...That's Aaron Rodgers line now. There's a reason SportingNews picked him as their athlete of the next decade, and there's also a reason Peter King said in his MMQB column that he wouldn't be able to choose Dallas Clark, Reggis Wayne, and Peyton Manning over Rodgers, JerMike, and Greg Jennings.

We have a lot to look forward to.

AJHawk50
01-11-2010, 03:58 PM
I think it's crazy how we are lucky enough to have had Brett Favre for all the years he was with us, and then we get Aaron Rodgers immediately afterward where as some franchises have spent years and years trying to find one guy half as good.

mellojello
01-11-2010, 07:49 PM
I think it's crazy how we are lucky enough to have had Brett Favre for all the years he was with us, and then we get Aaron Rodgers immediately afterward where as some franchises have spent years and years trying to find one guy half as good.No doubt, there are years of good football ahead in GB's immediate future.

cvv84
01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
The Packers have denied the Bears permission to interview QBs coach Tom Clements for Chicago's offensive coordinator vacancy.

Favre4ever
01-11-2010, 08:46 PM
No doubt, there are years of good football ahead in GB's immediate future.

Hard to believe that it's only his second year as a starter in the NFL. He still has a lot to learn and some maturing to do. The whole core is very young also with Jennings, Finley, Jones, Jordy, Grant, Spitz, Sitton, Lang and Colledge. With the right drafting on defense, this team should be on top for years to come.

I remember the Dallas game when he replaced Favre, i was waiting to see a rout but Rodgers took over a game that was out of reach and made it a game against a top 5 team at this time of the year. Not a lot of young inexperienced QBs could have done what he did. Then I knew that GB would be OK after Favre.

mellojello
01-11-2010, 09:02 PM
I remember the Dallas game when he replaced Favre, i was waiting to see a rout but Rodgers took over a game that was out of reach and made it a game against a top 5 team at this time of the year. Not a lot of young inexperienced QBs could have done what he did. Then I knew that GB would be OK after Favre.I remember the game and remember thinking that he looked like he was running Cal's offense. We used to think it was Tedford's genious that kept us competitive against SC, but it turned out Aaron Rogers was special.

J-Mike88
01-11-2010, 09:26 PM
The Packers have denied the Bears permission to interview QBs coach Tom Clements for Chicago's offensive coordinator vacancy.

That's not a lateral move. I didn't think teams could deny a positional coach a chance at a promotional move like that. What am I missing? I guess it's in Clements particular contract language?

Whistler6
01-11-2010, 09:51 PM
I remember the game and remember thinking that he looked like he was running Cal's offense. We used to think it was Tedford's genious that kept us competitive against SC, but it turned out Aaron Rogers was special.

Wow I completely forgot about that game...When Favre went down, I thought lost cause. Rodgers completely surprised me and made it entertaining. When he broke his foot in mop-up duty a while back I thought nothing but how soft he must be.

Rodger's continues to prove me otherwise, and I couldn't be happier to admit it.

J-Mike88
01-11-2010, 09:53 PM
We have to be clear about this: Our offense is fine. It's lethal.
Our offense is better than any offense that has won a Super Bowl since the 1999 Rams, IMO. So it's clearly Super Bowl caliber, but of course age/health concerns on the edges.

Where we are far far far away from championship caliber is against the pass. Let's not lose focus of that. Even if we had pulled out this game yesterday, we'd still have to face Brees. And then probably Favre. Those guys have played us 3 times this season and last, and they played like it was 11 against 7. They never were picked and averaged about 140 passer rating on us, and I thing those were before we lost Al Harris. So we have big big time problems there.

That's the main issue no doubt about it. Now, how do we fix that? Do we need better cover-LBers? I thought that Chillar was a good cover-LB, but it's not apparent on the field. Barnett tries, but the poor guy is always chasing and losing his guys. That might be on Capers, but remember Nick trying to cover Santonio Holmes on that 4th down conversion late? He tried, it's just almost impossible for any LB to cover him, or Doucet like yesterday.

Do we need to have more CBs or S's than LBers? How have other teams stopped Warner and Brees? They have been stopped. Anyone know how they cover? Think about this: The Cardinals defense stopped Favre.

In the aforementioned five games – the regular-season finale against Arizona was left out because Warner played only the first two series – the quarterbacks’ combined passing numbers were off the charts: a passer rating of 126.6 points and a 69.5 percent completion rate; 16 touchdown passes and only one interception; and 9.31 yards per pass attempt.

J-Mike88
01-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Who here thinks Kampman will be back with us?
I think that his ACL will scare teams off enough that he won't get a big enough offer anywhere else to leave his Packer family, and will be back with us -ala Tauscher coming off his ACL.

While the adjustment to outside linebacker in the 3-4 this past season wasn’t the smoothest transition, Kampman flashed his usual effectiveness as a pass rusher. At the time of his injury, Kampman was leading the team with 28 quarterback hits....

mellojello
01-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Wow I completely forgot about that game...When Favre went down, I thought lost cause. Rodgers completely surprised me and made it entertaining. When he broke his foot in mop-up duty a while back I thought nothing but how soft he must be.

Rodger's continues to prove me otherwise, and I couldn't be happier to admit it.Haha, peeps who follow the Pac 10 didn't cosider the Dallas game a fluke. In fact, there were a lot of folks out west waiting for him to get his shot. Either Rogers or Alex Smith were widely considered to be the #1 pick and there was a lot surprise when Rogers actually fell that far in the draft.

cvv84
01-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Who here thinks Kampman will be back with us?
I think that his ACL will scare teams off enough that he won't get a big enough offer anywhere else to leave his Packer family, and will be back with us -ala Tauscher coming off his ACL.

At this point I think its 50/50. He's definetly not suited to play OLB but if we could use a combination of Kampman/Jones I think that we wouldn't need to rush to find another OLB.

Kampman is sure saying all the safe things again but I think thats only because we could potentially transition tag him.

PackerLegend
01-11-2010, 10:43 PM
I like Kampman but I dont want him back he showed a little improvement but I thought he was clearly out played by a 7th round pick. I wouldn't mind slapping him with the tag and trading him though. Especially seeing how our Minnesota neighbors take half our team we let go.

PackerLegend
01-11-2010, 10:50 PM
I would also like to add did you guys see Jennings 2 amazing catches. Obviously we all know he is a god but I never really have seen any spectacular catches like that from him which I remember. I also liked how when it was 0-17 he was over there on the sidelines yelling at guys trying to get them pumped up.

cvv84
01-11-2010, 10:54 PM
I would also like to add did you guys see Jennings 2 amazing catches. Obviously we all know he is a god but I never really have seen any spectacular catches like that from him which I remember. I also liked how when it was 0-17 he was over there on the sidelines yelling at guys trying to get them pumped up.

I was expecting him to play like that all season. Seems like he and Rodgers needs to work on their chemistry together a little more.

Whistler6
01-11-2010, 10:54 PM

That sideline catch was as good if not better than Holmes TD in the Superbowl last year...Not as big of situation, but just as phenominal of a play. Rodger's throw off his back foot cannot be emphasized enough either.

Whistler6
01-11-2010, 11:22 PM
From Deadspin -- This Little Packer Fan Cried All The Way Home

http://deadspin.com/5445785/this-little-packer-fan-cried-all-the-way-home

A little bit of hilarity and depression all mixed into one crappy cell phone video

Twiddler
01-11-2010, 11:27 PM
From Deadspin -- This Little Packer Fan Cried All The Way Home

http://deadspin.com/5445785/this-little-packer-fan-cried-all-the-way-home

A little bit of hilarity and depression all mixed into one crappy cell phone video

That's awesome. I feel much better about myself as a whole right now.

TitleTown088
01-12-2010, 12:35 AM

Haha. Good.

princefielder28
01-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Chuck wins Defensive POY!!!!

ImBrotherCain
01-12-2010, 09:53 AM
I thought he deserved it over Revis... CB just dont put up the numbers that Woodson did this season... Hell most defensive players dont record 9 Ints, 4 FF a couple sacks and 3 Tds.

One hell of a season from one hell of a player. He made our defense what it was this past season

Whistler6
01-12-2010, 03:09 PM
I thought he deserved it over Revis... CB just dont put up the numbers that Woodson did this season... Hell most defensive players dont record 9 Ints, 4 FF a couple sacks and 3 Tds.

One hell of a season from one hell of a player. He made our defense what it was this past season

The 1st stat everyone sees is INT's and then defensive TD's. Those are prominent, but the number of tackles and FF's he recorded speaks to the impact he had.

Several of the FF's were on long plays and a numerous amount of his tackles were run-stuffing. Revis was the BEST corner in the NFL this season, but Woodson was the all around defensive MVP. So glad he won it...It shrinks the hole in my heart after Sunday's loss, if even a small bit haha.

tjsunstein
01-12-2010, 04:41 PM
I still don't want to believe we lost.

AJHawk50
01-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Glad Charles got it, at least we won something this year. :P

Pacific
01-14-2010, 03:07 PM
ENvmq-rkVZc

Whistler6
01-14-2010, 03:34 PM
I'd like to say it bothers me, but it really doesn't. It doesn't help that Green Bay was lit up for half-a-hundy and now their Defensive Coordinator is shown napping mid-3rd quarter.

Still, whatever...Try a Vente Skim Chai Dom.

princefielder28
01-14-2010, 04:02 PM
I saw that Capers thing the other day on NFL Live and it's laughable to see that (not haha funny, but kinda sad type of thing)...a perfect reflection of the day the defense had

TitleTown088
01-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Doing his best Mike Sherman.

Edit: Idk if he was sleeping. His eyes are blinking right before he " wakes up".

Whistler6
01-14-2010, 04:41 PM
I'll give Mike Sherman a bit of a pass for falling asleep in a nearly empty stadium during the several day-long combine, but "come on man" -- the 3rd quarter of an NFL playoff game?

I'm not sure what's sadder...That he fell asleep during the game, or that he was THAT tired from preparing FOR the game. Meaning he put so much time/effort into his defensive plan that he was so tired during the game, and they still lit up the scoreboard.

cvv84
01-14-2010, 04:46 PM
I'll give Mike Sherman a bit of a pass for falling asleep in a nearly empty stadium during the several day-long combine, but "come on man" -- the 3rd quarter of an NFL playoff game?

I'm not sure what's sadder...That he fell asleep during the game, or that he was THAT tired from preparing FOR the game. Meaning he put so much time/effort into his defensive plan that he was so tired during the game, and they still lit up the scoreboard.

The way it sounded from Nick Collins was that we went in there with the same defensive gameplan as in week 17. That alone is enough to concern me.

tjsunstein
01-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Why would you show all of your tools the week before and then not change a thing? Ahh.

Favre4ever
01-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Capers is not sleeping at all. To me it looks more like hes looking at the playcalling sheet and then kicks something in the booth out of frustration.

JF4
01-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Capers is not sleeping at all. To me it looks more like hes looking at the playcalling sheet and then kicks something in the booth out of frustration.

I concur.

Realistically there is absolutely no chance that he was actually sleeping, more like pissed off.

But I agree with tjunstein about Capers tipping his hat the previous week. Arizona definitely was not surprised at all by what they saw.

Even with the loss. Very solid year for the Packers and things are still looking up! I have faith!

AJHawk50
01-14-2010, 06:41 PM
I concur.

Realistically there is absolutely no chance that he was actually sleeping, more like pissed off.

But I agree with tjunstein about Capers tipping his hat the previous week. Arizona definitely was not surprised at all by what they saw.

Even with the loss. Very solid year for the Packers and things are still looking up! I have faith!
I agree, he was just pissed off. I like to see that though...he showed the emotion. And as far as tipping the hat, I think this only teaches another lesson should we be in a similar situation again.

Packystan
01-14-2010, 08:15 PM
He was definitely frustrated. I remember noticing that as I was watching the game, and It came right after we had lost Bigby. Maybe that, culminating with the fact that we had no answer for their offense made him so pissed. If it was a blowout game against a team like Detroit or something, I might look more into it. But a playoff game? No chance he was sleeping.

Whistler6
01-14-2010, 09:36 PM
The more I watch it when he's supposedly "sleeping", it actually looks like he's blinking. This is a non-story. Bigger story, Jarret Bush made Early Doucet look like a hall of famer...I think I could whine about Bush everyday until next season starts.

I think I just answered my own question about a New Year's resolution, although quitting smoking would probably be easier than cutting Bush some slack.

johbur
01-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Bush is a fine special teamer, but should NOT even be the dime back. CB is feels like the weakest spot on the team after that playoff game, especially if Harris gone for good. With Cliffy and Tauscher having aging issues, though obviously they're the answer to pass pro when healthy.
For off-season, I'd like to see a FA CB brought in, maybe an OT, though with all the young linemen it'd be great if one of them stepped up. Barbre was abused so badly I doubt his athletic ability is good enough to overcome the mental errors and technique problems.
With the team's FA situation, there could be a lot of changes coming. Hopefully TT doesn't think the draft (and Harrell...) is 100% the answer.

J-Mike88
01-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Capers was not asleep. He was what we call "deep in thought".
I'm not defending him. He just wasn't asleep.

His gameplan was as good as having 11 guys sleepwalking though. I agree with most of you that Bush is not fit to play DB in a game like that, but A) we had no other options due to personnel decisions and B) it didn't matter who was out there with the gameplan to stop Warner. The 49ers beat Arizona, twice, this year with less talent than our defense has.

tjsunstein
01-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Who cares if Bush is a fine special teamer? I bet there's 100 guys in free agency right now that can play special teams just as well but actually have some understanding on coverage. I hate Jarrett Bush. He is so bad. If there is one question I could ask Ted Thompson, it would be concerning Jarrett Bush's roster spot. Why is he still on the team?

cvv84
01-15-2010, 11:39 AM
If there is one question I could ask Ted Thompson, it would be concerning Jarrett Bush's roster spot. Why is he still on the team?

We wouldn't be asking that question if we didn't suffer so many injuries. We all know Bush is terrible, lets not keep beating a dead horse here.

We've hit on some undrafted guys in the past, ala Cullen Jenkins, Ryan Grant, Atari Bigby, and Trammon Williams, so its not like that appraoch isn't working.

JF4
01-15-2010, 02:29 PM
It was fun watching the game with a couple non packer fans and telling them to watch Jarrett Bush. Just seemed that he was doing something wrong on most big plays from what I was watching. He obviously has the athletic ability to succeed, but it seriously lacking the intangibles to be a success.

I'm all for letting a guy develop but Bush needs to go, or atleast never step foot on the field again unless it's special teams.

tjsunstein
01-15-2010, 02:31 PM
We wouldn't be asking that question if we didn't suffer so many injuries. We all know Bush is terrible, lets not keep beating a dead horse here.

We've hit on some undrafted guys in the past, ala Cullen Jenkins, Ryan Grant, Atari Bigby, and Trammon Williams, so its not like that appraoch isn't working.

That's true but we were so quick to cut ties with Ahmad Carroll and he was a first and Bush isn't much better. Plus, it would cost barely anything to bring someone else in at this point.

Whistler6
01-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Tracy White was a "fine" special teamer as well, he got cut. They see something in Bush that none of us do, and for the life of me I can't imagine what.

cvv84
01-15-2010, 03:54 PM
That's true but we were so quick to cut ties with Ahmad Carroll and he was a first and Bush isn't much better. Plus, it would cost barely anything to bring someone else in at this point.

Bush is cheap though and Carroll was Sherman's guy, not Thompson's. In the role that Bush was signed for he's done his job. But we all know if he's pressed into action he's going to flop. The lack of CB depth hurt more than Bush's play. He wasn't signed to start or play a huge role. He's just here to play special teams and spot duty on defense.

Tracy White was a "fine" special teamer as well, he got cut. They see something in Bush that none of us do, and for the life of me I can't imagine what.

White was a great special teamer but he played a position that was pretty valuable in the 3-4 and he didn't fit the scheme. Bush at least profiles to be a CB/S whereas with White you had an undersized LB.

Whistler6
01-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Berry fined for hit on Rodger's in OT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/15/berry-fined-for-hit-on-rodgers/

...Um, thanks?

J-Mike88
01-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Berry fined for hit on Rodger's in OT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/15/berry-fined-for-hit-on-rodgers/

...Um, thanks?
But it wasn't a penalty-able (is that a word) offense/infraction?
Or does Mike Perrerira say it was another judgment call, that went for the home team? Like Woodson falling down?

J-Mike88
01-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Who do you all WANT to win this weekend, and THINK will win this weekend?

I want:
-Dallas
-NO-Arizona... no preference really, I like both teams. Saints though would make the Grape Apes have to play a road game, so I'll root for the Saints
-Colts
-Chargers

princefielder28
01-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Pretty much who I want to win is who I think will win...

Baltimore
Arizona
Minnesota
San Diego

johbur
01-15-2010, 08:50 PM
That's nice. A fine for the late hit, the missed facemask and the two missed offensive pass interferences. And just nine months or so until next season...

J-Mike88
01-15-2010, 08:54 PM
But it wasn't a penalty-able (is that a word) offense/infraction?
Or does Mike Perrerira say it was another judgment call, that went for the home team? Like Woodson falling down?
Of the 3 fines, 2 were called penalties in the game, which matters way more than a fine.
Which 2 were penalized and which 1 wasn't?

Green Bay ó Arizona Cardinals defensive end Bertrand Berry was fined $5,000 by the National Football League for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers in overtime Sunday, a play that did not draw a flag during the Packers' wild-card loss.

It happened on the Packers' second play from scrimmage in OT, when guard Daryn Colledge was flagged for a hold. If Berry were penalized during the game, the second-and-10 play would have been replayed because of off-setting penalties.

For the Packers, safety Atari Bigby (facemask) and end Cullen Jenkins (roughing the passer) each were fined $5,000.

J-Mike88
01-15-2010, 08:56 PM
That's nice. A fine for the late hit, the missed facemask and the two missed offensive pass interferences. And just nine months or so until next season...
Worse than a 9-month wait, because it's exactly 12 months til our next playoff game gets here when we can make ammends. So much time..... :(

(yes that means I have us earning a bye next year and watching 8 other teams struggle in the wildcard round)

tjsunstein
01-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Green Bay - Arizona Cardinals end Bertrand Berry was fined $5,000 by the National Football League for his helmet-to-helmet hit on quarterback Aaron Rodgers in overtime -- a play that did not draw a flag during the Packers' wild-card loss.

It happened on the Packers' second play from scrimmage, when guard Daryn Colledge was flagged for a hold. If Berry were penalized during the game, the 2nd-and-10 play would have been re-played because of off-setting penalties.

Cardinals cornerback Michael Adams was not fined on the final play, when he had a finger in Rodgers' facemask after causing a fumble.

For the Packers, safety Atari Bigby (facemask) and end Cullen Jenkins (roughing the passer) were each fined $5,000.

Someone has some explaining to do.

cvv84
01-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Some grades are in on the season:

offense (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100116/PKR01/100116041/1058/Grading-the-offense--Rodgers-finds-winning-touch)

defense (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100116/PKR01/100116043/1058)

special teams (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100116/PKR01/100116046/1058)

coaching (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100116/PKR01/100116047/1058)

J-Mike88
01-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Here's some stuff from McGinn.
http://www.jsonline.com/packerinsider/81902692.html

Check it out. He's found a TON of similarities between the 1995-1996 Packers and the 2009-2010 Packers, which would bode very well for us this year.
Unbelievable parallels! I hope it's a good omen.

In 1992 under new coach Mike Holmgren, the Packers improved slightly each year until they won it all in '96. They missed out on the playoffs on the final day in '92, split a pair of playoff games in '93 and '94 and lost in the NFC Championship Game in '95.
Holmgren's regular-season record in his first four seasons was 38-26.

In 2006 under first-year coach McCarthy, the Packers have ridden a roller coaster. They lost a playoff tiebreaker in 2006, were an overtime interception from making the Super Bowl in '07, sunk to 6-10 in '08 and went one-and-out this year.

McCarthy's regular-season record in his first four seasons is the same as Holmgren's: 38-26.

-The architect, general manager Ron Wolf, turned 58 late in the 1996 Chamnpionship season.
-Thompson, who was trained by Wolf, will be 58 two weeks before the 45th Super Bowl is played in Dallas next year.

-Holmgren was 48 when he won the Super Bowl as a fifth-year coach.
-McCarthy will be 47 late next year as a fifth-year coach.

-Fritz Shurmur, the defensive coordinator under Holmgren, marked his 17th season as a coordinator in '96 when he coached in his first Super Bowl.
-Dom Capers, the defensive coordinator under McCarthy, will enter his 17th season in 2010 as he tries to coach in his first Super Bowl.

-Favre turned 27 that October and was in his sixth season when the Packers won the Super Bowl.
-Rodgers will turn 27 in December as he completes his sixth season.

-Reggie White, the free-agent leader of Holmgren's defense, was 35 and in his 12th season when he raised the Lombardi Trophy.
-Charles Woodson, the free-agent leader of McCarthy's defense, will turn 34 in December as he finishes his 13th season.

How did the Packers move from 11-5 and a point differential of plus-90 in 1995 to 13-3 and a point differential of plus-246 in 1996?

Five players from Wolf's great draft of 1995 - Craig Newsome, William Henderson, Brian Williams, Antonio Freeman and Adam Timmerman - emerged as outstanding players.
In 1996, he either signed, claimed or traded for Desmond Howard, Santana Dotson, Eugene Robinson, Andre Rison, Bruce Wilkerson and Don Beebe.

With every hole plugged and a slew of players elevating their games, the Packers became the first team since the 17-0 Miami Dolphins of 1972 to lead the NFL in points scored and points allowed. No team has done it again.

Whistler6
01-17-2010, 12:06 PM
I don't miss this:

Brett Favre (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1744) almost made it through the week without addressing whether this could be his final game. Almost.

"If you win, you go on. If you lose, you're done -- and for me -- that could very well be my last game,'' Favre told ESPN's Ed Werder.

I look forward to Vikings fans having to sit through an offseason wondering whether or not they have a QB.

princefielder28
01-17-2010, 12:41 PM
I don't miss this:

I look forward to Vikings fans having to sit through an offseason wondering whether or not they have a QB.

I don't think they'll mind it too much

J-Mike88
01-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Favre to Rice, TD, TD, TD.... dang.

Whistler6
01-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Brett Favre's postgame motivational "pants on the ground" speech in the locker room, smacking Jared Allen's ass, then breaking down the huddle while screaming "Wooooo!" will be a nightmare on an endless reel inside my head.

cuzifelt1ikeit
01-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Brett Favre's postgame motivational "pants on the ground" speech in the locker room, smacking Jared Allen's ass, then breaking down the huddle while screaming "Wooooo!" will be a nightmare on an endless reel inside my head.

whered ya see that at? id love to check it out

Whistler6
01-17-2010, 08:15 PM
whered ya see that at? id love to check it out

Here ya go my friend, but be warned it's tough to swallow...For me atleast, since I was born into the world of Brett Favre and now he's sleeping with my Ex. Jk.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2010/01/17/2010-01-17_minnesota_vikings_qb_brett_favre_leads_teammate s_in_rendition_of_pants_on_the_gr.html

Whistler6
01-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Packerchatters is a scam of a site and should be boycotted. This article points out why perfectly and hopefully it will finally get that out there to people who follow Packerchatters. It's a shame.

http://packerslounge.com/2010/01/17/packer-chatters-sucks/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+packersloungeRSS+%28The+Packe rs+Lounge%29&utm_content=Twitter

Mr.Regular
01-18-2010, 03:40 PM
If the Vikings go all the way, I'll feel like my childhood idol is personally flipping me off and kicking me in the nuts all in one.

Sure, going to the Jets was bad. And going to Minnesota in the first place was gut wrenching. But if I see Brett Favre's mug on my TV hosting the LOMBARDI trophy I don't know if there is a word to describe how sad/angry/sickened I will be.
He's ruining football for me!

princefielder28
01-18-2010, 03:49 PM
If the Vikings go all the way, I'll feel like my childhood idol is personally flipping me off and kicking me in the nuts all in one.

Sure, going to the Jets was bad. And going to Minnesota in the first place was gut wrenching. But if I see Brett Favre's mug on my TV hosting the LOMBARDI trophy I don't know if there is a word to describe how sad/angry/sickened I will be.
He's ruining football for me!

For me, I love Brett Favre and I love to see him play football. I have no problem whatsoever with him as a Viking. Football is a business and the Packers made a business decision to move on and Favre wanted to continue to play. He wanted to play for a winner and in a system he knew; Minnesota was the perfect fit. Does it stink that he plays for a rival? It's not the ideal situation but both sides got what they wanted and I have no problems with how everything has turned out this year.

RyanBraun8
01-18-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm hoping he does win the Super Bowl. I love Favre Viking or not. Everyone complains and complains about him playing for the Vikings but the guy still can play at a top QB level. Looking back it was the right move for the Packers, Rodgers has had the best stats of any QB in NFL history during his first 2 years as a starting QB and Brett stills loves the game and can flat out play. What good would it do to have one of those guys riding the pine for us? None what so ever. Can't be mad at Brett for loving football, doesn't matter Viking, Jet, Bear, Cowboy, or any other team. He felt he could still play, Vikings gave him a chance to prove it and guess what he was right, good for him.

J-Mike88
01-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Well I don't understand why another team didn't trade us a 1st round pick for the guy. There are 15 teams who could have really used him.
It's just tragic that he had to end up with the grape apes, the evil stepchild to the west.
The Vikings look like the best team left now. But he's been known to choke in the playoffs, crunch time. I hope he at least gets that chance again and they're in a game where they're traling in the 4th quarter against a real defense.

But aside from the Jets, there are no great defenses left in his path.

cvv84
01-18-2010, 07:03 PM
I must say I hate Favre with a passion. I hate how I defended the guy in his last years as a Packer only to have him turn his back on the fans and the orgainization that took a chance on trading for him and stood by him during his addiction years.

He didn't want to be a Packer anymore. Plain and simple. I only wish that we were able to deactivate him for the final 2 years he was under contract just to stick it to that pompus premadona ****.

ImBrotherCain
01-18-2010, 07:10 PM
I always loved the guy... he played the game the way it was supposed to be played. Loved every minute and was the definition of a gunslinger. To me he retired 2 seasons ago and has done nothing since. I still love the way the guy plays but i think he was a giant piece of **** retiring two times and un-retiring to he can make it to the team he wanted to play for... that just screams scum to me.

PackerLegend
01-18-2010, 08:04 PM
I hate Favre as well and hope he and the Vikings fail miserably. Plain and simple.

tjsunstein
01-18-2010, 08:05 PM
It was cool to see Favre get this far but enough is enough. He needs to be done and out of the playoffs asap now.

J-Mike88
01-18-2010, 08:08 PM
I even hate talking about that bastard. But he bears mentioning here, as this totally illustrates our issue. UNREAL;

Against Favre (twice), Roethlisberger and Warner, the Packers gave up an average of 39 points, 349 passing yards, a 71.7 completion percentage and a passer rating of 140.3.
Against everyone else's QB's, the defense allowed an average of 14.7 points, 169 passing yards, a 51.5 completion percentage and passer rating of 51.9.

The Packers were dominant in 13 games against less-than-stellar quarterbacks -- they picked off a league-high 30 interceptions and allowed 19 touchdown passes. But against Favre, Warner and Roethlisberger, they didn’t have a single interception and gave up 15 TD throws.
This is why I think the Saints might have scored 70 points on us had we won.

ImBrotherCain
01-18-2010, 08:31 PM
I hate Favre as well and hope he and the Vikings fail miserably. Plain and simple.

It was cool to see Favre get this far but enough is enough. He needs to be done and out of the playoffs asap now.

The further he goes the more flack we get as Packer fans... i agree its time for him to be watching the Super Bowl in a recliner and passing out at half time

Whistler6
01-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Brett Favre to the Jets, ok. Brett Favre to the Vikings, damnit but acceptable. Brett Favre beating Green Bay twice, having the best passer rating and lowest interception total of his career, tough to swallow but good for him.... That's where it ends for me.

Seeing him in the locker room singing with his teammates, smacking Allen's ass, turning his hat sideways, and leading the team in a breakdown completely broke me.

17 years of my life has been nothing but Brett Favre and not only his he winning with his new team now...But he's exciting Viking nation, forming "buddy'' relationships with his team, and being the clown he was as a Packer. It's too much.

I want the Vikings to lose and Brett Favre to choke miserably.

Whistler6
01-18-2010, 09:11 PM
The further he goes the more flack we get as Packer fans... i agree its time for him to be watching the Super Bowl in a recliner and passing out at half time

If Brett Favre wins a Superbowl with the Vikings does he still retire as a Packer?

Mr.Regular
01-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Brett Favre to the Jets, ok. Brett Favre to the Vikings, damnit but acceptable. Brett Favre beating Green Bay twice, having the best passer rating and lowest interception total of his career, tough to swallow but good for him.... That's where it ends for me.

Seeing him in the locker room singing with his teammates, smacking Allen's ass, turning his hat sideways, and leading the team in a breakdown completely broke me.

17 years of my life has been nothing but Brett Favre and not only his he winning with his new team now...But he's exciting Viking nation, forming "buddy'' relationships with his team, and being the clown he was as a Packer. It's too much.

I want the Vikings to lose and Brett Favre to choke miserably.
This. This exactly.
If Brett Favre wins a Super Bowl with the Vikings do we retire his number? Right now, I honestly would be just fine with not retiring it.

princefielder28
01-18-2010, 09:19 PM
This. This exactly.
If Brett Favre wins a Super Bowl with the Vikings do we retire his number? Right now, I honestly would be just fine with not retiring it.

That's just stupid talk. He helped make Green Bay relevant again, won a Super Bowl and put together one of the best careers any QB has ever had and he did it in Green & Gold. No one will ever wear #4 again.

Whistler6
01-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Do the Vikings retire #4 then? 1st Superbowl win in team history?

Mr.Regular
01-18-2010, 09:22 PM
That's just stupid talk. He helped make Green Bay relevant again, won a Super Bowl and put together one of the best careers any QB has ever had and he did it in Green & Gold. No one will ever wear #4 again.
It may be my hatred talking, but if he wins a Super Bowl with Minnesota in one year with them, then rides off into the sunset hosting the trophy, it'll be pretty hard to ever think of him as a Packer hero again...in fact it'll be damn near impossible.
And that is what retired numbers are reserved for... undisputed team hero's. If Favre takes our rival to the promised land, then he's no Packer hero.

princefielder28
01-18-2010, 09:30 PM
It may be my hatred talking, but if he wins a Super Bowl with Minnesota in one year with them, then rides off into the sunset hosting the trophy, it'll be pretty hard to ever think of him as a Packer hero again...in fact it'll be damn near impossible.
And that is what retired numbers are reserved for... undisputed team hero's. If Favre takes our rival to the promised land, then he's no Packer hero.

so 16 years in Green Bay is completely demolished by 1 year in Minnesota? that's just silly talk

umphrey
01-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Against Favre (twice), Roethlisberger and Warner, the Packers gave up an average of 39 points, 349 passing yards, a 71.7 completion percentage and a passer rating of 140.3.
Against everyone else's QB's, the defense allowed an average of 14.7 points, 169 passing yards, a 51.5 completion percentage and passer rating of 51.9.

The Packers were dominant in 13 games against less-than-stellar quarterbacks -- they picked off a league-high 30 interceptions and allowed 19 touchdown passes. But against Favre, Warner and Roethlisberger, they didnít have a single interception and gave up 15 TD throws.
I even hate talking about that bastard. But he bears mentioning here, as this totally illustrates our issue. UNREAL;

This is why I think the Saints might have scored 70 points on us had we won.

Further illustrates a point I made a few days ago in another thread. Our front 7 is good, we can rush the passer and stop the run as good as anybody. We lose to quarterbacks who can beat the blitz - get the ball out quick, break a tackle or evade defenders in the backfield, make multiple reads, audible to a hot route. We desperately need help in the secondary so we actually have the option of running a cover defense instead of relying on exotic blitz packages. When we do blitz we would do so much better if we had a second safety or a third cornerback that was actually worth a damn in coverage.

cvv84
01-18-2010, 09:57 PM
This. This exactly.

I say we give Jarrett Bush the #4. Justice.

lasse
01-19-2010, 04:48 AM
so 16 years in Green Bay is completely demolished by 1 year in Minnesota? that's just silly talk

amen.
i cant understand how one can hate a player who loves this game as much as he does. ted didnt want him anymore, other teams did, tough luck. now enjoy his game and hope we win it all next year.
and no i wont return my packer fan membership.

cvv84
01-19-2010, 10:36 AM
amen.
i cant understand how one can hate a player who loves this game as much as he does. ted didnt want him anymore, other teams did, tough luck. now enjoy his game and hope we win it all next year.

You're fooling yourself if you think Favre wanted to be here as much as the Packers didn't want him here. Both parties got what they wanted. I guess I'm more loyal to the Packers than I am to Favre.

Also I find it funny how the media always criticized the Packers for not setting a deadline for Favre's decision. So when the Packers finally do set a deadline, Favre gives them an answer, the Packers move on, then Favre comes back and its all the Packers/Thompson's fault for the mess?

I could care less about Favre joining the Vikings. I do about how he tried to put the team in a vise through the media and made it look like the Packers were the bad guys. Thats not a team player and thats not someone I can ever call myself a fan of. All that BS could've been handled behind closed doors yet Favre chose to get the media involved because he's a media diva jackass. **** that guy.

Mr.Regular
01-19-2010, 11:08 AM
amen.

How can you not hate him as a Packers fan??

He retired. Many months later he wanted back in... we already changed the offense to suit a younger (and better) QB. So we told him it was too late...which it was. You can't teeter on whether or not you want to play every year for like 5 years. Then one offseason he finally made a decision....to only take it back right before the season is starting. Enough is enough. He shouldn't have retired in the first place...but he didn't... So he wanted to keep playing....fine. He made a mistake...so we traded him to the Jets.

But no, the Jets weren't good enough. He wanted revenge on us (why?) so he fake retired (again), had his rights released, and signed with one of the only 2 teams that would hurt the organization and its fans deeply.

So he screwed himself over with his indecision, and mistakes, then sought out revenge on the team (and in turn its fans) that paid the man millions of dollars for years, treated him like a God, and bought every piece of merchandise with a number 4 on it. And it was his own damn fault. So **** favre, I hope if he wins another trophy, that he realizes its at the cost of a whole fanbase that used to treat you like a God turning its back on you. So yeah, I feel like he's a dbag and I feel he's pretty much ruining his Packer legacy.

tjsunstein
01-19-2010, 11:12 AM
His speech in Canton is going to be one hell of an emotional ride for him and I'm going to be there.

TitleTown088
01-19-2010, 11:19 AM
How can you not hate him as a Packers fan??

I don't hate him, then again I'd like to think I don't hate anyone. However, he's definitely acting like a dbag. His reason for coming back was fueled by vengeance, he is acting like a little kid.

Anyways. Packers lost John Schneider to the seahawks for their GM job, which sucks.

Mr.Regular
01-19-2010, 11:22 AM
I don't hate him, then again I'd like to think I don't hate anyone. However, he's definitely acting like a dbag. His reason for coming back was fueled by vengeance, he is acting like a little kid.

Anyways. Packers lost John Schneider to the seahawks for their GM job, which sucks.
You're right, hate is a strong word. Using it usually points to emotions being on high, which they always are when Packer fans are discussing Brett Favre haha. So I understand your comment.

And yeah, I just saw the Schneider thing. I remember reading he was out....it was between 2 other candidates...so this really sucks, I figured we'd be keeping him.

cvv84
01-19-2010, 11:49 AM
The way it sounded was Schneider was one of TT's right hand guys. Honestly though I never heard of him until his name was brought up for the Seahawks GM job.

I think its really good for him and us though. He gets his chance to handle the draft and will have alot of picks early on. And the Seahawks picking him just shows how good our personel are in scouting and that we have the right people in place at the top.

J-Mike88
01-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Perhaps it will add a possible trade partner to the show.

TitleTown088
01-19-2010, 12:38 PM
The way it sounded was Schneider was one of TT's right hand guys. Honestly though I never heard of him until his name was brought up for the Seahawks GM job.

I think its really good for him and us though. He gets his chance to handle the draft and will have alot of picks early on. And the Seahawks picking him just shows how good our personel are in scouting and that we have the right people in place at the top.
I'm not sure if i understand how this is good for the packers? He was one of our best front office guys along with Mckenzie.

cvv84
01-19-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure if i understand how this is good for the packers? He was one of our best front office guys along with Mckenzie.

Shows that our pesonel is respected among the league. Yeah it sucks that he's gone but we'll find someone else, we always do. If they Packers didn't think that they wouldn't have let him interview.

TitleTown088
01-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Shows that our pesonel is respected among the league. Yeah it sucks that he's gone but we'll find someone else, we always do. If they Packers didn't think that they wouldn't have let him interview.

Did they really have a choice?

cvv84
01-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Did they really have a choice?

I think they could've blocked him from interviewing. Not sure though, could just be limited to coaching assistants. Either way though the Packers have always had a strong front office and I expect that to continue. I looked like Schneider has paid his dues and I'm happy for him getting the opportunity that he did.

jackalope
01-19-2010, 04:33 PM
The Packers might have been able to block it, but if you prevent your personnel from advancing, you're going to have a harder time hiring guys. Obviously, losing one of our top guys isn't a good thing. I've heard McKenzie's name come up a lot more for GM spots, so I'm a little surprised to hear someone from our staff hired and it isn't him.

Favre's a douche. I'd love to see him get destroyed this week. I'm fine with retiring his number, but I'd wait five years at least.

cvv84
01-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Two members of the Green Bay Packers, linebacker Clay Matthews and defensive lineman B.J. Raji, have been named to the National Football League all-rookie (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/82123942.html) team selected by Pro Football Weekly and the Professional Football Writers of America.

princefielder28
01-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Donald Driver said he wants to play until he's 40...that would be quite the achievement for a receiver

GB12
01-19-2010, 10:52 PM

Let me tell you a story.

I was happily married for 16 years. My wife and I had gone through some great times including some things few couples ever get to do. Then in 2008 she decides to leave me. She was sick of marriage and wanted to be done.
Now I knew this would happen eventually so I was ok with it even though it wasn’t exactly what I wanted at the time. The best way to get through this divorce was to just move on. There was this beautiful young Californian girl that I had my eye on the last few years I was married. I decided to make the commitment and we got engaged.
Now just a couple months after this happened my ex-wife comes crawling back to my house and wants to get back together. The problem is that I was already settled in with my new girl. Hell we even set the wedding date for early September. I was quite happy with my new girl and wasn’t about to push her to the curb for someone that chose to leave me. Besides, the physical aspects of a 24 year old Cali girl easily beat a 39 year old from small town Mississippi.
However this old ***** wouldn’t leave me a lone. She stood on my front porch and said she wouldn’t leave until I let her in. Well that wasn’t going to happen. I finally got rid of her by hooking up some guy I met at a bar with her for a small fee. He lived far away where I wouldn’t run into them for a couple of years.
It started off great between the two of them but they ran into some problems near the end of the year and she ended up filing for divorce…again. I was hoping she had finally given up on relationships and would just go away. And she did. For a while that is.
Sure enough she was back at it again midsummer. The worst part about it was this time she hooked up with my freaking brother. I could stand to just look the other way when it was some random dude, but my own brother? That’s low. I wished the worst upon that relationship, even if it meant she got hurt. Hell come to think of it I was kind of hoping for her to get hurt.
I really dislike my brother and we fight all the time. We try to avoid each other, but twice a year our parents force us to see each other. Seeing my brother with my ex-wife was unbearable. First I went to his house and he rubbed my face in it. The second time they came to my place, and while I was hoping for the opposite outcome, it was a repeat of the first time. That did nothing but add fuel to the fire
Even though I couldn’t be happier with my new wife I just can’t stand to see my ex happy. I am rooting for her to fail every week. There are still people that tell me I made a mistake and should have taken her back. I know those people are idiots and I don’t really care what they think because they’re wrong, but it drives me crazy to have to listen to that. I have a beautiful new wife, but they won’t shut up about that old *****.
Once she’s dead, and there’s no possibility of a resurrection, I will wait 5 years and then go to her funeral to watch her get inducted into her tomb. I will pay my respects and choose to look at only the good times we had from there on out.
But until that happens: **** that *****.

mqtirishfan
01-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Even though I couldnít be happier with my new wife I just canít stand to see my ex happy. I am rooting for her to fail every week.

This is the part that loses me. We have a young QB who was among the best in the NFL this year. There was no room for Brett, and he still wanted to play. Minnesota was a perfect match. I hate Minnesota, and I hate seeing Favre do well with Minnesota for that reason, but I don't hate Favre in general as a result, because it's not like he spurned us.

TitleTown088
01-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Edit: NVM

Anyways, where u been GB12?

BTW Favre will be doing 'pants on the floor' when he gets his ass spanked by Breesus this Sunday.

Whistler6
01-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Brett Favre needs 8 completions, 228 pass yards, and 3 passing TD's to break the career NFL Playoff record and passing Joe Montana.

http://twitter.com/NFLfootballinfo

Whistler6
01-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Edit: NVM

Anyways, where u been GB12?

BTW Favre will be doing 'pants on the floor' when he gets his ass spanked by Breesus this Sunday.

Throwing the meaningless TD pass on 4th down and then celebrating by basically saying the Cowboys "looked like fools with their pants on the ground" really irked me.

The argument can go on and on about class and if the Packers had done it, I'd be laughing hysterically...But in this case it just pissed me off more than anything. Go Saints.

jackalope
01-20-2010, 12:55 PM
GB12 is back! It is a glorious day!

Can I assume that rant was Seth Meyers inspired?

RyanBraun8
01-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Keith Brooking = cry baby who did look like a fool with his pants on the ground! The Cowboys deserved it! You roll over and quit in the playoffs so you expect the other team to also? I personally loved the whole thing. Part of me wants Favre to go out on top and finally ride off into the sunset on top but the other half of me just loves to watch the Saints play and want them to win. Vikings vs Jets or Colts vs Saints are the better matchups for the superbowl.

GB12 loved the story! I still like Favre but the story was good

RockJock07
01-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Donald Driver said he wants to play until he's 40...that would be quite the achievement for a receiver

I don't know how I feel about that, I would like the Packers to keep him around but James Jones outplayed him much of the 2nd half and DD just didn't seem explosive the 2nd half of the season.

I still think DD has some gas left in the tank but he he's not an every down WR anymore.

J-Mike88
01-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Go Saints !!!!!

PackerLegend
01-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Go Saints !!!!!

HELL YA! TO THAT. We need a classic Favre 4 int playoff game.

cuzifelt1ikeit
01-23-2010, 11:44 PM
am i the only packer fan who wants favre to win it all this year?

Boston
01-23-2010, 11:45 PM

Without a doubt.

Mr.Regular
01-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Rooting for the Vikings to win it all? Are you insane?

cuzifelt1ikeit
01-24-2010, 12:00 AM
haha i figure id be walking the plank by saying that. i just like the guy as a player. im not so sure about brett favre the man though. i grew up idolizing the way he played. i love it. im not so much rooting for the vikings. i just want favre to win.

princefielder28
01-24-2010, 12:01 AM

No you are not sir

J-Mike88
01-24-2010, 07:33 AM
While that SHOULD be the case, it's actually not quite.

My big family of about 50 has 3 who are all in on Farve,
3 of my aunts.

One lives in AZ and my family is going there for a week vacation. My mom chose to wait until after the Super Bowl to visit her because of the Favre-Viking-possible Super Bowl thing, and I chose not to go because of the Favre-possible Super Bowl.

Look, I understand Favre not wanting to hang it up. I get that. It's hard to walk away. But that bastard called the retirement press conference in the first place. Worse yet, he treated Rodgers like a prick for 3+ years. No text or call to Arod when it was time to turn over the keys to him? No? But he's always able to filter those newsbreakers to Chris Mortenson or Peter King. That act against Rodgers is what lost me. I will be rooting as hard against Favre as I root for the Packers, almost. Favre is a walking evil Zombie to me.

TitleTown088
01-24-2010, 11:19 AM

I sure hope so.

Mr.Regular
01-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Amen brother! I hope the traitor goes down in flames tonight!

Seeking revenge on the team that paid you millions, treated you like a God, and had a nation of fans worship you, for something that was your own damn fault is ridiculous. Hes an egomaniac and I hope his ego gets crushed once again in New Orleans.

GO SAINTS GO!

lasse
01-24-2010, 11:29 AM
no you are not

Whistler6
01-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Amen brother! I hope the traitor goes down in flames tonight!

Seeking revenge on the team that paid you millions, treated you like a God, and had a nation of fans worship you, for something that was your own damn fault is ridiculous. Hes an egomaniac and I hope his ego gets crushed once again in New Orleans.

GO SAINTS GO!

There are Packer fans and then there are Brett Favre fans...I loved every second of the legend, but when he went to the enemy, and not just a disliked enemy but the MOST hated enemy (maybe Bears too), I chose the Packers over Brett Favre.

It's okay to be both, but in this case I'm on one side of the fence. If the Vikings win it all I will survive, because I know they NEEDED a Green Bay Packer to help them win their 1st ever Superbowl. Without him they would be on the rack right now watching like the rest of us.

GB12
01-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Anyone who is rooting fir the Vikings to win today is not a real Packer fan.

And no, that "I'm not rooting for the Vikings, I'm rooting for Brett Favre" ******** does not cut it.

ImBrotherCain
01-24-2010, 05:27 PM

And no, that "I'm not rooting for the Vikings, I'm rooting for Brett Favre" ******** does not cut it.

Well put my friend well put!

Mr.Regular
01-24-2010, 05:29 PM

I agree 100%.
Alright guys, lets go SAINTS! Im pretty pumped for this game. I'm going to root for New Orleans (almost) as if they're the Pack.
I want Minny to go down, and go down hard.

lasse
01-24-2010, 05:32 PM

not a real packer fan blablabla, and i suppose i should hate every bears or vikings fan, probably beat em up when i see em.
sorry sir, i love my packers, but once they are eliminated i can also cheer for other teams or players. especially such thrilling ones to watch. i can certainly see his fault in the whole retirement saga, but you cant say he doesnt love to play football and is fun to watch.

princefielder28
01-24-2010, 05:34 PM
not a real packer fan blablabla, and i suppose i should hate every bears or vikings fan, probably beat em up when i see em.
sorry sir, i love my packers, but once they are eliminated i can also cheer for other teams or players. especially such thrilling ones to watch. i can certainly see his fault in the whole retirement saga, but you cant say he doesnt love to play football and is fun to watch.

i'm in your corner! #4 all the way!

tjsunstein
01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Go Saints for me. I can't stand the thought, yet the sight of Brett Favre succeeding with Minnesota. I hope he loses and retires. The way he should have went out in 2007. Losing the NFC Championship.

Mr.Regular
01-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Rooting for the Queens is the equivalent of a Yankees fan hoping the Red Sox win the World Series. Its blasphemy!

Whistler6
01-24-2010, 06:50 PM

I love watching him play, but he's a viking. Therefore I root for his ultimate demise. I have the rest of my life to appreciate what he's done for Green Bay. It's like that shirt: My 2 favorite teams are the Packers and whoever's playing the Vikings.

the dude
01-24-2010, 06:57 PM
I love watching him play, but he's a viking. Therefore I root for his ultimate demise. I have the rest of my life to appreciate what he's done for Green Bay. It's like that shirt: My 2 favorite teams are the Packers and whoever's playing the Vikings.

+1

I dont hope that he gets cancer or anything, but i hope he gets kicked in the mouth all night and retires

cvv84
01-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Isn't karma great? **** you Brett

Mr.Regular
01-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Isn't karma great? **** you Brett
They're still in it somehow.... but yeah it's looking awfully good right now... it's almost 1998 NFC Championship game territory of awesomeness.

Whistler6
01-24-2010, 09:05 PM
I've cheered every single time Brett Favre has taken a hit, yet when I see him limping and cringing my stomach drops and I get a lump in my throat...What the hell...I'm...feeling.

What a game though.

ImBrotherCain
01-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Go home Brent Farve!!!!

cvv84
01-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Merry Christmas everyone!

Whistler6
01-24-2010, 09:25 PM
I can't take credit for this stat, but I saw it on PackersLounge Twitter page. If Brett Favre retires...His last pass for the Packers, Jets, and Vikings have all been INT's.

Good night now. Thank you Jim Rome.

ImBrotherCain
01-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Vikings fans know what its like to have the real Brett for a QB

GB12
01-24-2010, 09:31 PM
This game couldn't have ended any better.

cuzifelt1ikeit
01-24-2010, 09:32 PM

definitly debatable.. i dont know how youre going to tell me im not a real packer fan because i happen to like someone who plays on the vikings.

I can't take credit for this stat, but I saw it on PackersLounge Twitter page. If Brett Favre retires...His last pass for the Packers, Jets, and Vikings have all been INT's.

that is an awesome stat

Whistler6
01-24-2010, 09:34 PM
"I feel like this might go all the way into next season's training camp"
-Merril Hodge

"There's no growth curve...If I'm Brad Childress I tell him, don't show up until week 3 of training camp"
-Trent Dilfer

EXACTLY why I am okay he left. No more having to deal with this.

cvv84
01-24-2010, 09:36 PM
"I feel like this might go all the way into next season's training camp"
-Merril Hodge

"There's no growth curve...Don't show up until week 3 of training camp"
-Trent Dilfer

EXACTLY why I am okay he left. No more having to deal with this.

It wouldn't be so sweet if Rodgers wasn't playing like he is. 26 years old and getting better every year :)

ImBrotherCain
01-24-2010, 09:40 PM
It wouldn't be so sweet if Rodgers wasn't playing like he is. 26 years old and getting better every year :)

Well if the front office didn't think ARod could take the reigns Brett probably wouldnt have been playing for the Vikequeens this season.

Random Rep to all Packer fans!!!

Mr.Regular
01-24-2010, 09:56 PM
The Vikings are done. Brett blew it. All is right with the world again. Mmmmm feels so good!

Whistler6
01-24-2010, 09:57 PM

DAMNIT this stat is inaccurate. I just checked, and his 2nd to last pass as a Jet was an INT.

roughrider30
01-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Every Viking fan I know is currently back to anti-Favre. As much as I love to see this, it really shows how dumb some of these fans are that they choose to forget how great of a season he had for them.

cvv84
01-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Enjoy

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/f3/fullj.06fb6f1f4954738842f60abc5ce15a95/06fb6f1f4954738842f60abc5ce15a95-getty-95653900mh054_nfc_champions.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/7e/fullj.30fbae4133a245563515522cee7f4270/30fbae4133a245563515522cee7f4270-getty-95653900cc065_nfc_champions.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100125/capt.nfc17501250219.nfc_championship_football_nfc1 75.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/79/fullj.1c4e743e307c8def5180264301d0424f/1c4e743e307c8def5180264301d0424f-getty-95653900mh051_nfc_champions.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100125/capt.nfc19601250311.nfc_championship_football_nfc1 96.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/c4/fullj.c55693b4e4160eae3f84d58480fea05b/c55693b4e4160eae3f84d58480fea05b-getty-95653900mh060_nfc_champions.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/53/fullj.d33dcbe4784462ff27d1c28601dcd8a5/d33dcbe4784462ff27d1c28601dcd8a5-getty-95653900mh055_nfc_champions.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/01/fullj.707302446636a34000cad13cab8fcb27/707302446636a34000cad13cab8fcb27-getty-95653900mh068_nfc_champions.jpg

Mr.Regular
01-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Celebrate good times, come on! This is as demoralizing as 1998 ladies and gents. Enjoy this, and lets take the North in 2010!

Whistler6
01-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Every Viking fan I know is currently back to anti-Favre. As much as I love to see this, it really shows how dumb some of these fans are that they choose to forget how great of a season he had for them.

It's JUST like Mark McGuire and steroids. They want everything good that comes with the shot of HGH in their ass, but as soon as their testicles shrink or Favre loses a game they are clean and NEVER needed the drugs in the 1st place.

McGuire is convinced he could have hit all his 500 foot bombs without injecting steroids, just as Viking fans believe they could get to the NFC championship without Favre.

Hell, if I could have nothing but the "goods" from taking steroids I'd do it it too...But you get the bad WITH the good and you have to deal with it and accept it.

Unfortuneately for Viking fans, their balls will be small for the rest of their lives no matter how much they scream "I'm clean".

roughrider30
01-24-2010, 10:18 PM
It's JUST like Mark McGuire and steroids. They want everything good that comes with the shot of HGH in their ass, but as soon as their testicles shrink or Favre loses a game they are clean and NEVER needed the drugs in the 1st place.

McGuire is convinced he could have hit all his 500 foot bombs without injecting steroids, just as Viking fans believe they could get to the NFC championship without Favre.

Hell, if I could have nothing but the "goods" from taking steroids I'd do it it too...But you get the bad WITH the good and you have to deal with it and accept it.

Unfortuneately for Viking fans, their balls will be small for the rest of their lives no matter how much they scream "I'm clean".

Love it haha. Both my roommates are Viking fans. I'm loving every minute of this.

bigboiajhawk
01-24-2010, 10:26 PM
I am just happy that Favre ended this season with an INT. He was a great QB but...when it comes down to him making the play in the playoffs to win the game he has never been good. If it were not for the amazing team that we had around him in 1996, I don't know if we would have won that one with him. I idolized him when he was a Packer and hated him when he was a Jet and a Queen, but he never made the play that counted. He won a lot of regular season games in the last two minutes, but once the playoffs came it was like he was a different QB. Oh well, he is the all-time leader for INT's so I find it fitting for him to throw a pick.

J-Mike88
01-24-2010, 11:34 PM
.. i dont know how youre going to tell me im not a real packer fan because i happen to like someone who plays on the vikings.

there are a few guys in the vikings that i like.
i like adrian peterson, he's a stand-up guy.
i like chad greenway.

but i bleed green and gold. that means i hate purple, and the vikings winning feels like the packers losing. so i can never root for the vikings unless i have a large wager on them. tonight i had $100 on the vikings +4 points, so it was a win-win baby!!!!!!!!

cuzifelt1ikeit
01-24-2010, 11:41 PM
there are a few guys in the vikings that i like.
i like adrian peterson, he's a stand-up guy.
i like chad greenway.

but i bleed green and gold. that means i hate purple, and the vikings winning feels like the packers losing. so i can never root for the vikings unless i have a large wager on them. tonight i had $100 on the vikings +4 points, so it was a win-win baby!!!!!!!!

i pretty much hate everyone else on that team other then favre. i have a softspot for him i guess. im just rooting for him to win one more.. hell always be green bays quarterback. and him winning another one just cements how good he really is. and if he wins.. peyton cant.

AJHawk50
01-25-2010, 01:00 AM
I am glad to see Minnesota lose!!! I didn't want it any other way. I was glad to see how it ended up, but at the same time I am ready for Brett to be done with Minnesota so that...

1. They go back to their original Tarvaris Jackson sucky self.
2. Brett can be a Packer again, and immortalized into the hall of fame.

I have to say, when they showed the replay of Favre in Packers green and gold, I was like...dang that looks nice, why did he have to turn nasty this year. :P

drowe
01-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Rooting for the Queens is the equivalent of a Yankees fan hoping the Red Sox win the World Series. Its blasphemy!

I wouldn't cheer for the Vikings if they were playing against al-Quaeda.

Whistler6
01-25-2010, 08:57 AM

Thought I'd add to my own joke. Sorry, but it's just too easy.

Word is, Brett Favre wants to go to the Lions so he can stick it to the Vikings.

jackalope
01-25-2010, 09:18 AM
I had to miss most of the second half, but I saw the last five minutes of regulation and overtime. There were a few people supporting Favre in the room I was in, and I just laughed uncontrollably when he threw the last pick. Absolutely awesome ending, and I'm pretty sure everyone was expecting it.

umphrey
01-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Chances of Favre cursing the Minnesota front office and announcing he wants to be a Chicago Bear in 2010?

2007 he threw away the Championship game for us and you would think he would want to stay with the team that got him that close to the SB, but instead he played in exile for a year just to get to our rival.

cuzifelt1ikeit
01-25-2010, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't cheer for the Vikings if they were playing against al-Quaeda.

gotta love tfln

TitleTown088
01-25-2010, 12:34 PM
I was hoping a former Packer QB made it to the superbow last nightl, Mark Brunell. ;)

J-Mike88
01-25-2010, 02:11 PM
I was hoping a former Packer QB made it to the superbow last nightl, Mark Brunell. ;)
BRILLIANT!

This has to hurt: Thirty-one first downs, outgaining the Saints by 218 yards, rendering Reggie Bush (seven carries, eight yards) irrelevant except for one short touchdown catch, not allowing a Saints' wideout a 20-yard catch all day ... and losing. Throwing it away. Fumbling it away. Eight fumbles or interceptions in 13 possessions.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/24/titlegames/index.html?eref=sircrc#ixzz0demC1bZ5

TitleTown088
01-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Why do Vikings eat cereal off of a plate?

Every time they get close to a bowl, they choke.

ChezPower4
01-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Listening to this makes me so happy.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M2Iw2YejS9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M2Iw2YejS9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

TitleTown088
01-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Listening to this makes me so happy.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M2Iw2YejS9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M2Iw2YejS9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/gdawg182/saintsbigagain.gif

Never gets old!

NAVY
01-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Completely off topic...well sort of... who is the other guy that has seven jerseys?

I seem to find my way back to this site every jan/feb....

NAVY
01-25-2010, 09:32 PM
BTW how awesome was it to see Sharper level favre? I thought it was one of the best hits of the game.

PackerLegend
01-26-2010, 12:10 AM
I liked Sharper until he decided to be a purple piece of crap. Hes alright now I guess playing for the Saints but he was a huge douche on the Vikings. I loved the game where he was blabing "I look good in purple" or some crap. Then the announcers talked about how he knew what to expect from Favre (when he was a Packer) and that he'd basically read him or whatever. Next play Driver burned him for like an 80 yard td.

J-Mike88
01-26-2010, 06:29 AM
BTW how awesome was it to see Sharper level favre? I thought it was one of the best hits of the game.
It was awesome.
My question about it is this:
Do you think Dom Capers learned any lessons from Greg Williams with the defensive gameplan?

I do not believe the Saints defensive personnel is as talented as the Packers is, on any level. But Williams devised some schemes to A) pressure the QB, B) mix up the coverages to confuse the QB, and C) pressure the QB.

As a result, the Saints contained both Warner and Farve, whereas we gave up about 140-passer rating in 3 games versus the two.

cuzifelt1ikeit
01-26-2010, 09:14 AM
what if favre doesnt continue his streak in the offseason and instead commits to playing early on so the vikings dont trade for another qb, like mcnabb, and then he no longer has a spot on the team he really wanted to play for. but then come training camp he decides it really is time to retire and then retires leaving them with sage and tavaris.

cvv84
01-26-2010, 10:07 AM
what if favre doesnt continue his streak in the offseason and instead commits to playing early on so the vikings dont trade for another qb, like mcnabb, and then he no longer has a spot on the team he really wanted to play for. but then come training camp he decides it really is time to retire and then retires leaving them with sage and tavaris.

Those are questions for the Vikings now. I no longer give a ****.

Whistler6
01-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Those are questions for the Vikings now. I no longer give a ****.

I hearddd that.

Brett Favre losing that game...

Vindication, validation, redemption, affirmation, authentication, proof, justification, atonement, satisfaction, verification, evidence,

...all in one. Like cvv84 said, Merry Christmas. And finally the "will he/won't he" problem is not ours to care about! Breath'n easy.

umphrey
01-26-2010, 01:19 PM
It was awesome.
My question about it is this:
Do you think Dom Capers learned any lessons from Greg Williams with the defensive gameplan?

I do not believe the Saints defensive personnel is as talented as the Packers is, on any level. But Williams devised some schemes to A) pressure the QB, B) mix up the coverages to confuse the QB, and C) pressure the QB.

As a result, the Saints contained both Warner and Farve, whereas we gave up about 140-passer rating in 3 games versus the two.

I blame Capers above anyone for losing to Arizona. He was our hero through most of the season so that's tough to accept. I don't know why he screwed up I'm just hoping his second year goes better because his defense didn't show up in some key games. Other than that we were an elite defensive team all year so I don't know what to say about it.

Whistler6
01-26-2010, 03:11 PM
This ProBowl massive "backout" is becoming a joke. 7 centers in the AFC can now say they are pro bowlers. With everyone dropping out in the NFC, I'm confused why no Packers are being named. There are several atleast as worthy as some of the new names being added.

Rodgers should start this game.

cvv84
01-26-2010, 03:12 PM
This ProBowl massive "backout" is becoming a joke. 7 centers in the AFC can now say they are pro bowlers. With everyone dropping out in the NFC, I'm confused why no Packers are being named. There are several atleast as worthy as some of the new names being added.

Rodgers should start this game.

Probably because we don't sit there and vote for every player on our team to go unlike our neighbors to the west.

PackerLegend
01-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Ya I like having pro-bowlers but really its just a joke now anyways. I rather not have anyone play just because if a Packer did get hurt Id be so pissed off.

princefielder28
01-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Ya I like having pro-bowlers but really its just a joke now anyways. I rather not have anyone play just because if a Packer did get hurt Id be so pissed off.

I think they should name the Pro Bowlers but just get rid of the game

cvv84
01-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Its officianl, Aaron Rodgers is your starting QB for the NFC in the Pro Bowl.

http://purplejesus.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/aaronrodgers001.jpg

You guys have to check out this old cartoon (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallina/080815&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos1) about Rodgers too. Its hilarious

J-Mike88
01-27-2010, 10:35 AM
I think they should name the Pro Bowlers but just get rid of the game
X2.
No doubt. Just name the REAL guys who earned it, and don't play the fake game.

Chad 85 and Deion Sanders are cracking me up here though, on the NFL Network now! I gotta tip my cap to them. Ocho was hilarious there, then Primetime gives him the classic "Child Please."

AJHawk50
01-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Here is the man at practice...

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2010/09000d5d81601124_gallery_600.jpg

Whistler6
01-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Has anyone seen the newest episode of NFL Films Presents? They showed the Cardinals hit on Rodgers in OT, facemask included (ugh), in super-slow-mo.

Just as the fumble was recovered it cut away to Mike McCarthy...He dropped to his knees an put his head down as the Cardinals ran the ball in and ended their season. It just reopened the wound, but really was a fascinating look at the end of the game. I've never seen MM show that much emotion, and he looked broken.

It airs on ESPN2 occasionally late at night or afternoons. Definitely worth checking out if the re-run it anytime soon.

tjsunstein
01-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Has anyone seen the newest episode of NFL Films Presents? They showed the Cardinals hit on Rodgers in OT, facemask included (ugh), in super-slow-mo.

Just as the fumble was recovered it cut away to Mike McCarthy...He dropped to his knees an put his head down as the Cardinals ran the ball in and ended their season. It just reopened the wound, but really was a fascinating look at the end of the game. I've never seen MM show that much emotion, and he looked broken.

It airs on ESPN2 occasionally late at night or afternoons. Definitely worth checking out if the re-run it anytime soon.

I'm still in the healing process man.

J-Mike88
01-27-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm still in the healing process man.
Me too.... too soon yet. But I did open my list on DVR today and rewatch the last 2 minutes of the Vikings-Saints game and then overtime. That's like an ice cream sundae dessert over and over. I'm gonna keep it on my DVR for a long time :)

AJHawk50
01-27-2010, 07:19 PM

I did see that too today. I can't believe they never showed a replay of when McCarthy did that after the game.

TitleTown088
01-27-2010, 11:51 PM

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/videos/nfl_network/video_20100119__862cdb505726__1d87d48f790c/

Shows it at the end of this one too.

Whistler6
01-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Packers G.M. Ted Thompson doesn't dip his toe into the free agent waters too often, but one of his most successful signings came in 2006 when he picked up defensive tackle Ryan Pickett (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=374).

That four-year deal worked out so well, he wants to sign Pickett again (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/59514387.html).

The unrestricted free agent is Thompson's top offseason priority, according to Greg A. Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. Pickett was a bargain for $14 million over four years last time around, and is sure to get a raise.

The two sides are already in contract negotiations. If the Packers can cross Pickett off the list, Bedard writes their next move will be to retain left tackle Chad Clifton (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1739), who is also an unrestricted free agent. The team will also offer a contract to Aaron Kampman (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1765), who is coming off a torn ACL, but he won't be a priority.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/28/thompsons-offseason-agenda-starts-with-pickett/

I like hearing that. I don't think offering a contract to Kampman is the right direction to go, but if TT can bring back Pickett the offseason will have started off definitely on the right track.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Aaron Kampman. He's been one of my favorite players to watch for the past few years, and you have to love his endless motor. Unfortuneately he just doesn't really fit in the Packers scheme.

He was a nearly 300 pound DT in college wasn't he? I don't think he'll get any more agile or quick than he already is, especially if that means dropping a bit more weight to stay a 3-4 LB.

princefielder28
01-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Kampman was a linebacker at Iowa

Whistler6
01-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Kampman was a linebacker at Iowa

He was LB'er his freshman and sophmore year at Iowa, but switched to defensive line for his junior and senior season. I mixed up the order, but he put on weight to play D-line. I'm not sure why exactly he traded positions, but it very well could be because he wasn't fast enough as a linebacker. Just a thought.

http://www.packers.com/team/players/kampman_aaron/

cvv84
01-28-2010, 12:24 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/28/thompsons-offseason-agenda-starts-with-pickett/

I like hearing that. I don't think offering a contract to Kampman is the right direction to go, but if TT can bring back Pickett the offseason will have started off definitely on the right track.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Aaron Kampman. He's been one of my favorite players to watch for the past few years, and you have to love his endless motor. Unfortuneately he just doesn't really fit in the Packers scheme.

He was a nearly 300 pound DT in college wasn't he? I don't think he'll get any more agile or quick than he already is, especially if that means dropping a bit more weight to stay a 3-4 LB.

I'm a little torn on what to do with Pickett. When he was at 100% he was a dominant and instrumental for our run defense. Problem is he's been dinged up the past few years so theres that question of injury for him. I'd really prefer to transition tag him instead of committing alot of guaranteed money to him. Who know, maybe we draft someone capable of being a descent backup and we start Raji, making Pickett available via trade.

The offer to Kampman just seems like a courtesy more than anything. Both sides know he didn't transition well. He does need to drop at least 15 lbs but thats going to be very tough to do this offseason with a surgically repaired knee.

Pickett, Clifton, and Tauscher should be our top priorities.

TitleTown088
01-28-2010, 12:30 PM
How can you be torn on what to do with Pickett? He was a integral part of the #1 Run defense in the NFL. Bring him back.

J-Mike88
01-28-2010, 12:34 PM
The Kampman situation is interesting.
We don't think he fits the scheme very well.
But McCarthy, Thompson, Capers and Greene know better.
If they don't think he fits, then they will cash him out as best they can.

I do remember Bedard or McGinn pointing out that he had by far the most QB pressures and/or hits before his ACL snapped. We need guys to get to the Farve's, Brees', Romo's, McNabb's of the world next season. And then get to Peyton Manning.

cvv84
01-28-2010, 12:36 PM
How can you be torn on what to do with Pickett? He was a integral part of the #1 Run defense in the NFL. Bring him back.

Injuries, age, money. I'm not saying don't bring him back, just that I think it might be foolish to sign him long term.

J-Mike88
01-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Fellas, what are each of your thoughts/opinions of a rumored deal with the framework of AJ Hawk for Antonio Cromartie?
Draft picks would be exhanged as well, not sure which to whom though.

I believe both guys will be entering their 5th year.
Many Charger fans think AC is on the way out.

Whistler6
01-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Injuries, age, money. I'm not saying don't bring him back, just that I think it might be foolish to sign him long term.

I like the idea of Raji becoming the full-time starter with his young legs, and having a healthy Pickett rotating in and out throughout the game would only make his impact felt much more.

You're right though about the injuries, age, and guaranteeing him a lot of money...I guess it all depends what the contract looks like. I just love their D-line depth though and would hate to see something happen like when Cole left and Corey Williams was traded leaving them thin.

Whistler6
01-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Fellas, what are each of your thoughts/opinions of a rumored deal with the framework of AJ Hawk for Antonio Cromartie?
Draft picks would be exhanged as well, not sure which to whom though.

I believe both guys will be entering their 5th year.
Many Charger fans think AC is on the way out.

Green Bay gambled on Charles Woodson, when they signed him hoping to get the best off Charles and not the injury plagued guy towards the end of his Oakland career.

If we were able to land the Cromartie from a couple years ago who picked off Peyton Manning 3 times in his 1st career start and was hungry to show his skills, then hell yes. But for some reason he's regressed in San Diego this season. It's a tough call, because I like Hawk but could be a steal if we got pro-bowl Cromartie.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/237934/antonio-cromartie_medium.jpg

TitleTown088
01-28-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm not opposed to Cromarite but there is a big difference. Woodson was a good player that was injured. Cro simply hasn't been much of a good player.

TitleTown088
01-28-2010, 01:45 PM

He missed two game due to a hammy pull. And last year played well through a triceps injury. Those aren't exactly injury-prone type of injuries, those are things that just happen. Age isn't a concern really. He's only 30, DT are still well in their prime at 30.

cvv84
01-28-2010, 01:48 PM
He missed two game due to a hammy pull. And last year played well through a triceps injury. Those aren't exactly injury-prone type of injuries, those are things that just happen. Age isn't a concern really. He's only 30, DT are still well in their prime at 30.

He's getting older and developing nagging injuries. Not exactally someone I'd want to tie up with a long term deal. Especially when you have a very promising young guy who we spent a top 10 pick on. The transition tag would make much more sense considering a potential lockout in 2011.

Favre4ever
01-28-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm not opposed to Cromarite but there is a big difference. Woodson was a good player that was injured. Cro simply hasn't been much of a good player.

After Chillar got paid, im sure Hawk's agent requested a trade or already knew he would have to look elswhere for AJ to get his money. I was thinking of trading Hawk for a pick but trading Hawk for Cro would be even better. There's no corner in the draft with Cro's ball skills and size. True both hawk and Cro have been underperforming but maybe a change of scenery would revive both guys careers. Cro could learn a lot with Woodson.

Also, we wouldnt have to draft a Corner with a high pick unless we're planning on moving Woodson to safety...

Whistler6
01-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Twitter convo between Nick Barnett, Ryan Grant, and Trey Wingo:

Here is a fun late-January Twitter conversation between Green Bay linebacker Nick Barnett (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4487) (@nickbarnett (http://twitter.com/NickBarnett)), ESPN’s Trey Wingo (@wingoz (http://twitter.com/wingoz)) and Green Bay tailback Ryan Grant (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9475) (@RyanGrant25 (http://twitter.com/ryangrant25)):

Barnett: What you guys think @shawnemerriman in the green and gold????
Wingo: @NickBarnett more to the point [sic] nick, what do YOU think?
Grant: @wingoz I think that's a great idea
Barnett: @wingoz I think he is a great player but honestly. I would like to see us get Kampman back. One free agent I would like to see Dwan Edwards (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5576)
Barnett: @wingoz but don't get me wrong if we don't get kamp back would love to have him... But he would have to change his number lol

To translate for the non-Twitterati, Barnett was playfully suggesting the idea of Green Bay signing San Diego linebacker Shawne Merriman (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8427) this offseason if incumbent Aaron Kampman (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3684) doesn’t return. (Like Barnett, Merriman wears No. 56.) Barnett also referred to Baltimore defensive end Dwan Edwards.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/9539/merriman-to-green-bay-and-other-fantasies

Interesting stuff, even if it is only a couple players joking around. Although Merriman will command a big contract, and I don't know if he's worth it.

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9484/merriman.jpg

cvv84
01-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Merriman started it by posting on his account "I'm going to sleep but that's the question for the next 24hrs what team can use me the best?"

He's plays the LOLB spot which would be an ideal but can he return to his all pro form?

jackalope
01-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Definitely bring Pickett back. He's still a very good player, and it gives us much more flexibility along the line.

The part about Kampman not being a priority really makes me think he won't be back (which I already assumed). They'll probably offer him something obviously lower than what he'd get in free agency. Kampman would be better off on a 4-3 team anyway, so he doesn't have a lot of motivation to return.

ChezPower4
01-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Definitely bring Pickett back. He's still a very good player, and it gives us much more flexibility along the line.

The part about Kampman not being a priority really makes me think he won't be back (which I already assumed). They'll probably offer him something obviously lower than what he'd get in free agency. Kampman would be better off on a 4-3 team anyway, so he doesn't have a lot of motivation to return.

Kampman may not have any interest in coming back to the Packers but why would TT just let a very good 4-3 DE walk out the door for nothing? It would seem to make more sense to tag Kampman and try to trade him. Although I think his value has dropped a little bit given his play last season and of course the injury that he sustained in November. Getting something in return for him would be better than nothing. If worse comes to worse and TT canít trade him then heís got one more year to try and develop as an OLB and prove that he can be a productive player at that position for us.

tjsunstein
01-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Kampman may not have any interest in coming back to the Packers but why would TT just let a very good 4-3 DE walk out the door for nothing? It would seem to make more sense to tag Kampman and try to trade him. Although I think his value has dropped a little bit given his play last season and of course the injury that he sustained in November. Getting something in return for him would be better than nothing. If worse comes to worse and TT canít trade him then heís got one more year to try and develop as an OLB and prove that he can be a productive player at that position for us.

Yeah, I can't see Kampman leaving for free.

As for Merriman, bring him in if Kampman leaves. It leaves us with more options in the draft.

Whistler6
01-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Kampman may not have any interest in coming back to the Packers but why would TT just let a very good 4-3 DE walk out the door for nothing? It would seem to make more sense to tag Kampman and try to trade him. Although I think his value has dropped a little bit given his play last season and of course the injury that he sustained in November. Getting something in return for him would be better than nothing. If worse comes to worse and TT can’t trade him then he’s got one more year to try and develop as an OLB and prove that he can be a productive player at that position for us.

The Franchise tag would pay him more than 15 million next season wouldn't it? That would be an unforgiveable mistake...Too much money for a guy who may or may not be anything better than average as an OLB in a 3-4.

cvv84
01-28-2010, 09:12 PM
The Franchise tag would pay him more than 15 million next season wouldn't it? That would be an unforgiveable mistake...Too much money for a guy who may or may not be anything better than average as an OLB in a 3-4.

I think the LB tag would be around $10 million. Maybe even less. Karlos Dansby was tagged last year for a little over $8 million. Either way though thats way too much for Kampman.

Kampman has been descent, as J-Mike88 pointed out he was leading the team in QB pressures before he got injured. The sacks weren't there which hurt his value and I think there's 3 questions that needs to be answered. When did Matthews become effective? After Kampman was injured in week 9, Matthews posted 7 sacks. Was that due to having a more capable pass rusher opposite him? Can Matthews emergence benefit Kampman?

Whistler6
01-28-2010, 11:06 PM
I think the LB tag would be around $10 million. Maybe even less. Karlos Dansby was tagged last year for a little over $8 million. Either way though thats way too much for Kampman.

Kampman has been descent, as J-Mike88 pointed out he was leading the team in QB pressures before he got injured. The sacks weren't there which hurt his value and I think there's 3 questions that needs to be answered. When did Matthews become effective? After Kampman was injured in week 9, Matthews posted 7 sacks. Was that due to having a more capable pass rusher opposite him? Can Matthews emergence benefit Kampman?

Ah, you're right. I was thinking Julius Peppers last season and defensive ends. I didn't think about his position change, which would be quite a bit cheaper. Nice call.

johbur
01-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Merriman would be an interesting get. He has the same high risk/high reward that Woodson had. If Merriman hurt, he's a bust in the same class as Joe Johnson. With Capers scheming for him, if he's healthy he could be the DPOY.

Not sure about Cromartie for Hawk. Hawk is what his draft stock had him as: steady, dependable, not flashy. But he started picking up the impact plays this year in addition to the tackles. I like our LB corp a lot with Mathews, Chillar, Barnett and Hawk in there. Brad Jones had a nice season for a 7th rounder. AK might or might not be worth bringing back. I definately think a healthy Merriman would be an upgrade over AK in this system. Too bad AK wasn't traded last season to a 3-4 team for a corner or an LT.

RyanBraun8
01-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Would Merriman be a RFA this off-season? That is assuming that the new CBA doesn't get done (doubt it will) If he was a normal FA, I'd hope he'd be our number one target. He is one of my favorite players to watch.

PackerLegend
01-28-2010, 11:40 PM
I dont know if I want Cromartie. I know he did put up some big int numbers one season but some Charger fans really really really want him gone because hes pretty bad. Hawk hasnt been amazing at all but I think everyone is still fairly satisfied that he is doing ok although we still hope for more from him. I know Cro has potential but atleast Hawk hasnt been downright awful at times.

roidrunner
01-28-2010, 11:43 PM
spending a franchise tag on a guy who has a torn ACL (i believe, correct me if i am wrong) is completely asinine. We could probably get him for cheap. but i would rather we just let him go. and move on with our lives.

Whistler6
01-29-2010, 11:09 AM
He's getting older and developing nagging injuries. Not exactally someone I'd want to tie up with a long term deal. Especially when you have a very promising young guy who we spent a top 10 pick on. The transition tag would make much more sense considering a potential lockout in 2011.

Transition tagging Pickett would pay him $6.35 million. It sounds like a lot, but might not be a bad idea rather than signing him long term. Here's the official Transition Tag and Franchise Tag numbers. 1st column F-tag, 2nd column T-tag:

Quarterback: $16.405 million [franchise tag], $14.546 million [transition tag]

Defensive end: $12.398m, $10.193m

Offensive line: $10.731m, $9.142m

Linebacker: $9.680m, $8.373m

Cornerback: $9.566 m , $8.056 m

Wide receiver: $9.521m, $8.651m

Running back: $8.156m, $7.151m

Defensive tackle: $7.003m, $6.353m

Safety: $6.455m, $6.011m

Tight end: $5.908m, $5.248m

Punter/kicker: $2.814m, $2.629m

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/29/official-franchise-transition-tag-numbers-revealed/

cvv84
01-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Transition tagging Pickett would pay him $6.35 million. It sounds like a lot, but might not be a bad idea rather than signing him long term. Here's the official Transition Tag and Franchise Tag numbers. 1st column F-tag, 2nd column T-tag:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/29/official-franchise-transition-tag-numbers-revealed/

Exactally. That why we aren't committing alot of money over several years. The DT transition tag is the 3rd cheapest tag and we'd still get a 1st round pick if someone tries to sign him.

ChezPower4
01-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Would Merriman be a RFA this off-season? That is assuming that the new CBA doesn't get done (doubt it will) If he was a normal FA, I'd hope he'd be our number one target. He is one of my favorite players to watch.

I don't think the Packers are going to be willing to pay Merriman's asking price. The Packers have typically stayed away for really high priced FAs. I do agree that he would be a great addition for our team and would make me very exited.

umphrey
01-29-2010, 06:16 PM
I hate both Merriman and Cromartie so much. Merriman with his stupid dance that he does/did and his roids and Cromartie who thinks he's great because he had one good year which was more like one game that grabbed everyone's attention and now he thinks his job is to get interceptions and ignore everything else about football.

I'm very confident that neither will wear Green and Gold.

RyanBraun8
01-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Merriman is a flat out animal and I personally like him dance better than Barnetts Zoro thing. Cromarties head his the size of Lambeau Field but if he wants to he can be a phenomianal CB. I doubt he'd be traded here in the first place but maybe being around Vets like Woodson and Harris all the time would get him turned around. Merriman and Matthews would be crazy

cvv84
01-29-2010, 08:09 PM
You guys are aware that Merriman is a restricted free agent, right? There's no way the Chargers are going to just let him go for free. Lets be realistic here as we all know TT's free agent philosophy.

J-Mike88
01-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Quick change of direction here. Check out Ryan Pickett and that incoming class for the Buckeyes. Holy ****.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1001/cfb.top15.recruiting.classes.all.time/content.2.html

RockJock07
01-31-2010, 07:28 PM
You guys are aware that Merriman is a restricted free agent, right? There's no way the Chargers are going to just let him go for free. Lets be realistic here as we all know TT's free agent philosophy.

Merriman has worn out his welcome in SD. They'd probably let him go but for what price. Also, TT traded down in every draft so far until last year when he traded back into the 1st round to grab a Pro Bowler. If TT can grab a pro bowler without giving up to much then he'll get Merriman.

To be honest, I don't know why people wouldn't want cromartie. That trade would be a great trade for the Packers considering Hawk will want a raise this year and Cromartie is an athletic freak that will provide an upgrade over Bush and even Tramon.

On 2 separate notes, Aaron can do anything he wants to on a football field. Also, after the Senior Bowl I would love to get brandon Graham in round 2 if possible.

Whistler6
01-31-2010, 09:14 PM
Merriman has worn out his welcome in SD. They'd probably let him go but for what price. Also, TT traded down in every draft so far until last year when he traded back into the 1st round to grab a Pro Bowler. If TT can grab a pro bowler without giving up to much then he'll get Merriman.

To be honest, I don't know why people wouldn't want cromartie. That trade would be a great trade for the Packers considering Hawk will want a raise this year and Cromartie is an athletic freak that will provide an upgrade over Bush and even Tramon.

On 2 separate notes, Aaron can do anything he wants to on a football field. Also, after the Senior Bowl I would love to get brandon Graham in round 2 if possible.

Calm, cool, collected. His TD pass to Steve Smith, "ain't no thing". It's great to see though, and I'm glad he represented the NFC North well...Unlike Bryant McKinnie.

cvv84
01-31-2010, 09:25 PM
Calm, cool, collected. His TD pass to Steve Smith, "ain't no thing". It's great to see though, and I'm glad he represented the NFC North well...Unlike Bryant McKinnie.

I was just glad to see Mario Williams hold up on that 'would be' sack.

RockJock07
01-31-2010, 10:37 PM
I was just glad to see Mario Williams hold up on that 'would be' sack.

Ditto, considered Super Mario didn't extend the same pleasure to Tony Romo later in the game.

umphrey
01-31-2010, 11:45 PM
IIRC Mario was offsides on that play and the refs didn't call it, so maybe he was thinking the sack would have been a real cheap shot.

J-Mike88
02-01-2010, 09:55 AM
IIRC Mario was offsides on that play and the refs didn't call it, so maybe he was thinking the sack would have been a real cheap shot.
He was offsides for sure..... no refs in the game?

J-Mike88
02-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Fellas, give me your opinion on Julius Peppers.
Like Charles Woodson in the 2006 FA period, he's got some question marks certainly. A lot of money is gonna go to a guy with some question marks.
But like Charles, Julius is a rare, special athlete who is often a difference-maker on the football field. Both were college sensations, top-5 draft picks, and instand All-Pro's. But they had some issues nevertheless....

He's going to cost a lot of money for sure.
He's also not played in a 3-4 before. But the dude was such as special athlete, he played basketball too.
No, not just in high school, but in college.
No not a crappy college program. He played at North Carolina... you know, same school as Michael Jordan, Vince Carter, Jerry Stackhouse, etc. He's twice the athlete that Aaron Kampman is.

He's been called moody. So was Woodson.
He just turned 30.
So he's much younger than Harris, Woodson, Driver, etc.
Reggie White was also 30 I think, when we signed him to a mega deal of 4 years/$17 million back in the early 90's. It paid off.

I watched Peppers batter Favre this December. It, he, made the Panters DBs and LBs look like all shutdown corners. Our pass rush against Favre (and Warner, Ben), made our DBs and LBs look like they were running in sand, nowhere to be, MIA.

Obviously I want Peppers no matter what the cost is because I know he and Matthews would be the NFL's best bookend pass rushers, right there with Freeney & Mathis. They make the Colts DBs look a lot better than they are.

cvv84
02-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Peppers? Never going to happen nor would I want it to happen. He's going to demand a ton of money and there's been alot of questions as to his dedication to football. I have to question weather he's going to pack it in once he gets his big payday. I'd much rather pay our own guys instead.

TitleTown088
02-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Obviously I want Peppers no matter what the cost is

Why? So you can lose probowl caliber guys ( Collins, Pickett, Jenkins, Jolly) who are key parts of the defense in the near future and a responsible fiscal approach?

I'm not opposed to bringing in Peppers per se, and I really would like to upgrade the pass rush. However, his contract will likely be something out of control and is not really something I want to haunt the Packers for years.

roidrunner
02-01-2010, 11:32 AM
peppers does not fit the TT mold. woodson is basically the exception, not the rule. I highly doubt that peppers will become a packer.

J-Mike88
02-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Why? So you can lose probowl caliber guys ( Collins, Pickett, Jenkins, Jolly)
Hold up.
You're calling THREE of our DL "Pro-Bowl" quality guys?

Aside from that, the pass rush has to come from the OLBs.
Even with Matthews, we need a lot more.
Keep those losses to the Cardinals and Vikings fresh in your minds fellas.
We have to seriously and immediately improve the pass rush.
I feel Peppers is clearly our best option, albeit costly.
Reggie cost a lot.
Woodson cost a lot.
I don't know how much Peppers will cost, but it seems to me that this season is going to be uncapped anyway.

Remember, Woodson's signing was such a risk that not one single other team wanted him as their CB. None.
Peppers has plenty of teams who will be swinging for him.

I know it's not Ted's MO, and we're used to swinging for singles.
But the swing for Matthews was at least a triple. Peppers has the potential to take us out of the park. He's not a high risk off the field either like Jared Allen was. Let's not pretend Peppers is some thug or something. Remember, Trgovic was his DC in Carolina.... That might be a big factor.
Or might not.

cvv84
02-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Hold up.

Not much of a stretch in calling them that if you ask me. Pickett was key to our run defense, Jolly led the league among defensive lineman in passes defensed, and Jenkins is our best overall defensive lineman.

Reggie cost a lot.
Woodson cost a lot.
I don't know how much Peppers will cost, but it seems to me that this season is going to be uncapped anyway.

Hold up, weren't you one of the people saying that we need more pass rush out of our defensive lineman and that the pass rush can't only come from the LBs?

Project out Brad Jones stats for entire season as a starter. Thats almost 40 tackles and 8 sacks. We were also tied for 8th in sacks.

Reggie White and Charles Woodson also didn't change positions. You're asking a highly successful 4-3 DE to all of a sudden stand up and rush the passer. It worked so well for Kampman didn't it? Yes Peppers is more athletic but you're committing a MASSIVE amount of money on a guy who has zero experience at the position.

Remember, Woodson's signing was such a risk that not one single other team wanted him as their CB. None.

But the swing for Matthews was at least a triple. Peppers has the potential to take us out of the park. He's not a high risk off the field either like Jared Allen was. Let's not pretend Peppers is some thug or something. Remember, Trgovic was his DC in Carolina.... That might be a big factor.
Or might not.

Woodson's signing was risky because of his injury history and it came down to us and the Bucs. As you mentioned Peppers will have plenty of teams after him - plenty of teams with owners who are willing to shell out the kind of money Peppers will be asking for. There's just no way the Packers can or should even compete for his services.

RockJock07
02-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Why? So you can lose probowl caliber guys ( Collins, Pickett, Jenkins, Jolly) who are key parts of the defense in the near future and a responsible fiscal approach?

I'm not opposed to bringing in Peppers per se, and I really would like to upgrade the pass rush. However, his contract will likely be something out of control and is not really something I want to haunt the Packers for years.

I'd be willing to lose Jenkins and Jolly for Peppers. Jolly and Jenkins have been good but they are replaceable and Peppers is an animal who abused Clifton up at Lambeau last season when Carolina came back and beat the Packers.

You can find a Jenkins/Jolly in round 4 or 5. Just my 2 cents....

princefielder28
02-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Do you guys remember the last time we thought we'd be fine replacing a player along the d-line??? Losing Corey Williams really hurt the team last year, 2008, and there's no way we can afford to lose one or two players along the front.

RyanBraun8
02-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Hold up.

Reggie cost a lot.
Woodson cost a lot.

Or might not.

First off: Prickett.... yes, Jenkins.... no doubt (in my mind he is truely one of the most underrated DL in the NFL. Doesn't matter if its 4-3 DT, 4-3 DE or 3-4 DE when healthy he is a difference maker.) Jolly....not yet but he is for sure an above-average, damn good 3-4 DE. All 3 are far more important than Peppers.

In all honesty let every team in the NFL fight it out over him but leave us out. I just hope the new CBA gets completed and we bring in a TRUE 34 pass rush animal named Merriman in. Do you think Packers would spend all that money on Reggie to go out and play a completely new position? Same goes for Woodson. You don't make it rain on a guy to come in a learn a completely different position after 8 seasons. We already had Kampman on the roster and were spending the money on him so there was no risk. He had only one year left on his contract so if it didn't workout (like it didn't) he could just leave in FA. It is piss poor managing to go out and give a guy a long term contract paying at least 12 million (if not more) a year to play a spot he has never played before.

Example of what I'm saying: (Vick before Prison if was a FA)

Michael Vick is really good at running the ball, should we sign him to be are all-purpose RB? He is fast, good vision, and electric in the open field. He has never played RB in his life but he has been a great running QB over his career. It should translate shouldn't it? Its worth the money 10+ million a year for the next 5 years to try, right?

='s

Julius Peppers is really good at rushing the passer, should we sign him to be our new 34 LOLB? He is extremely athletic, fast off ball, good hands, and gets after the QB. He has never played a 34 OLB in his life but he has been a great DE pass rusher over his career. It should tranlate shouldn't it? Its worth the money 10+ million a year for the next 5 years to try, right?

Thats my 10 cents on it.

jackalope
02-01-2010, 03:54 PM
I'd be willing to lose Jenkins and Jolly for Peppers. Jolly and Jenkins have been good but they are replaceable and Peppers is an animal who abused Clifton up at Lambeau last season when Carolina came back and beat the Packers.

You can find a Jenkins/Jolly in round 4 or 5. Just my 2 cents....

I think you're severely undervaluing Cullen Jenkins.

RyanBraun8
02-01-2010, 03:57 PM
DL: Montgomery Raji Wynn
OLB: Peppers Hawk Barnett Clay

Yeah i'd take that any day over

DL: Jolly Prickett Jenkins -Rotation with Raji to stay fresh
OLB: (Graham) Hawk Barnett Clay - Subs of Jones OLB Chillar IB

Graham was a filler for the option of a early draft pick on an OLB)

You can't just replace Jenkins and Jolly with 4-5 rd picks. They were what i'd call steals or finds in the draft. (the exception not the rule)

Edit: except Jenkins was just a UDFA Gem and not a 4-5 rd pick

cvv84
02-01-2010, 04:34 PM

You can't just replace Jenkins and Jolly with 4-5 rd picks. They were what i'd call steals or finds in the draft. (the exception not the rule)

Wow. Talk about a dismantling job.

Whistler6
02-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Do you guys remember the last time we thought we'd be fine replacing a player along the d-line??? Losing Corey Williams really hurt the team last year, 2008, and there's no way we can afford to lose one or two players along the front.

Exactly. I know I severely underestimated the importance of guys like Colin Cole and Corey Williams. Reality though, is Green Bay went from one of the best D-lines with their depth to arguably one of the worst.

I hope TT doesn't get cute giving away some of these guys for later draft picks or choosing not to resign them. Depth, depth, depth, depth, depth.....DEPTH.

Depth.

Boston
02-01-2010, 06:12 PM

http://craigswinejourney.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/facepalm.jpg

JF4
02-01-2010, 06:43 PM

gtfothat is all

J-Mike88
02-01-2010, 07:18 PM
In this system, you don't need All-Pro's at DE.
But we already have a great one in Cullen Jenkins. We have the super prospect BJ Raji, and we have Justin Harrell at the other DE, very theoretically. Jenkins isn't going anywhere. Don't forget about Jarius Wynn.
I like John Jolly with his deflection, tipped passes. But name the last time he sniffed a QB. Plus he could end up behind bars.

Pickett might still stay.

Bottom line is we absolutely have to get more pass rush. Statistics are a bit deceiving in our case as we feasted on the crappy QBs like Culpooper and Bulger and Boller and Brady Quinn, etc. but good ones carved us up. Let's not be shy about that. It was painful. Pass rush is our key.

Now I loved getting Brad Jones. But he was 100% AWOL/MIA vs Arizona.
I am intrigued by Cyril Obiozor. They intrigue me, but you know Julius Peppers can get past and around NFL RT's. As far as him changing position, as you've all heard Ted and Mike say: Good football players are good football players regardless of the scheme. I believe Peppers is better than good, and extremely athletic. No question he could do it. HeII, he's asked to go to that position. That's 100% the opposite of what we heard from Kampman last year when he was changing.

If you don't want Peppers for financial reasons, that's another story. But to doubt his ability because he's not played the scheme, that tells me you are not familiar with Peppers the athlete. He's special. He's a game-changer.

But this goes against Ted's MO, so....

PackerLegend
02-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Pepper's is a freak but that was at 4-3... Sure he could be good OLB but no one knows if he will be. I don't like the thought of throwing a huge wad of money at him when hes never played it and is on the wrong side of 30. I rather get someone else. You said "good football players are good football players" Kampman was a good one at DE but I dont think he was very good at OLB and he made the exact same move.

RockJock07
02-01-2010, 08:01 PM
I think you're severely undervaluing Cullen Jenkins.

Huh? I'm undervaluing a guy who has been pretty durable throughout his career, but has 22 career sacks in a 4-3 scheme he played in up until this season. Now as a 3-4 end he played well but by no means is an elite player.

he's an average to above-average NFL player but nothing like Peppers who has 81 career sacks and is only 1 year older than Jenkins.

If you wanna put Peppers on the end or stand him up then this defense becomes significantly better. He won't come cheap but winning requires some risk.

Whistler6
02-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Remember Daniel Muir, the former Packer not really good enough? Yeah he's starting this Sunday for Indianapolis Colts. I don't know if he got better or if Peyton just makes him look good, but interesting either way.

And I agree with PackerLegend about Peppers. He "could" be good as a LB in the 3-4, but would it be worth investing a whole lot of cash and a long term contract on hope? He's much more of an athletic freak than Kampman, but I'm not sure.

cvv84
02-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Remember Daniel Muir, the former Packer not really good enough? Yeah he's starting this Sunday for Indianapolis Colts. I don't know if he got better or if Peyton just makes him look good, but interesting either way.

And I agree with PackerLegend about Peppers. He "could" be good as a LB in the 3-4, but would it be worth investing a whole lot of cash and a long term contract on hope? He's much more of an athletic freak than Kampman, but I'm not sure.

Peyton plays defense? ;)

Muir was a good player when he was with us but he just fell into the numbers game at DT. Its kind of like with our former TEs Joey Haynos and Evan Moore.

RockJock07
02-01-2010, 08:15 PM

If Peppers wouldn't have to cover to many TE and can just rush the passer he would be upgrade over Kampman. If it's a money issue then I understand but saying that Peppers wouldn't be as good as Kampman is nonsense.

bigboiajhawk
02-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I would love to see Peppers, but the Packers have more pressing needs, such as signing a lot of the players back from last years team. If the Packers resign Clifton, Tauscher, Pickett, Collins, and Spitz, and they have the money to sign Peppers, I would be all for it. Buth with all of those guys, there is going to be a lot of money spent, so I just dont see it happening, but it would be amazing to have Peppers and Matthews on opposite ends.

Whistler6
02-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Peyton plays defense? ;)

Muir was a good player when he was with us but he just fell into the numbers game at DT. Its kind of like with our former TEs Joey Haynos and Evan Moore.

Woah, my mind blanked there. Not sure how I mixed up his position, but first thought told me O-Line. Nice catch.

*DT

Whistler6
02-01-2010, 09:20 PM
If Peppers wouldn't have to cover to many TE and can just rush the passer he would be upgrade over Kampman. If it's a money issue then I understand but saying that Peppers wouldn't be as good as Kampman is nonsense.

Waitttt a second. I never said Peppers wouldn't be as good as Kampman. Julius Peppers would be much better than Kampman in the 3-4. Kampman is a fearless pass rusher, but Peppers is miles ahead of him as an all around player. My point was Kampman transitioning from 4-3 to 3-4 made him look slow and less of an impacftful player.

Peppers could be great, but throwing a bank at him based on hope could be a major mistake.

RockJock07
02-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Waitttt a second. I never said Peppers wouldn't be as good as Kampman. Julius Peppers would be much better than Kampman in the 3-4. Kampman is a fearless pass rusher, but Peppers is miles ahead of him as an all around player. My point was Kampman transitioning from 4-3 to 3-4 made him look slow and less of an impacftful player.

Peppers could be great, but throwing a bank at him based on hope could be a major mistake.

I'm basing it on shear numbers and athletic ability. If the Packers are going to commit to the 3-4, Aaron for all he has done for GB, is done here which is a shame but the Packers need athletic players who's game is for suited for the 3-4 which Aaron's was not.

JF4
02-01-2010, 10:32 PM

Why would GB invest all that money in a one dimensional pass rusher? No knock on Peppers athletic ability because everyone knows he truly is freakish but I don't like his chances as a successful 3-4 OLB.

I thought the whole point of the 3-4 was being able to send any LB at any time and have the other ones drop back in coverage and either man up or drop into a zone comfortably and not to have a player who is the primary blitzer of the defense. I think in theory with Peppers it could work, but seems to me our defense would be quite predictable with Peppers playing this rush the passer only role you have him in. And last time I remember a team knowing exactly what we were going to do on defense they put up 51 points on us.

I'd rather take my chances on Kampann being able to improve next year than to sign Peppers. I still don't even think Kampann is being given a fair shake by some of you guys and I still think he can be a big contributor this defense. He never really was able to settle into his role, and as the defense got stronger in the ladder part of the year he wasn't able to evolve with it.
It could be argued that the defense got better because of him leaving and with Brad Jones' emergence but that's also like saying the defense got better Al Harris got hurt and Tramon Williams stepped up.

To conclude, if GB wants to go after a big $ player, i'd rather see a defensive back or an offensive lineman than a front 7 player, which i believe carried the defense all year (+Woodson). Kampann still can succeed in the defense too.

RyanBraun8
02-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Hope everyone notice I was being sacastic and was exaggerating just a little bit with the depth chart ha but yeah in the past I have said it many times that the depth of the D-Line make or break a defense, 34 or 43. 08' was brutal how TT just dismantled the line after having an awesome 7 man rotation in 07'. That is a huge part in the 6-10 record. We have a real good rotation with Jenkins, Prickett, Jolly, Raji and hopefully Wynn continues to get better or Harrell actually gets on the field and that is pretty damn good. They all stay fresh and wear down the OL. So personally I feel it is important to keep this unit together and keep them all signed and under contract. Makes it hard to do that when you spend an arm and leg to experiment with Peppers.

As for Peppers, last season before we made the 34 switch and he had the tag slapped on him, I was all about tossing whatever money he wanted to get him here. The guy is a pure freak, no question about that but I hate to give the guy the money he is going to demand if he isn't going to be 100% sure fire worth the money. I remember last season he made a few comments of wanting to play OLB (I think that was when the Peppers to Cowboys rumor was going around before the tag.) I love Peppers, hate hoping that he will adjust and develop a top notch OLB while paying at least 12 million a year. TT doesn't take those risk. If the new CBA is not done the FA market is very weak and Peppers will easy be the most sought after player.

I know most of us would like to draft a all-purpose back like McCluster, Spiller, Best, McKnight but what do you all think about about Leon Washington? I believe he will be UFA.

PackerLegend
02-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Wouldn't the Packers also have to be very careful spending wise if no CBA is reached? Uggh it would be so much easier and obviously way better with a CBA. Everyone knows we cant spend like alot of teams but also the Non-CBA rules are hard to understand.

JF4
02-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Hope everyone notice I was being sacastic and was exaggerating just a little bit with the depth chart ha but yeah in the past I have said it many times that the depth of the D-Line make or break a defense, 34 or 43. 08' was brutal how TT just dismantled the line after having an awesome 7 man rotation in 07'. That is a huge part in the 6-10 record. We have a real good rotation with Jenkins, Prickett, Jolly, Raji and hopefully Wynn continues to get better or Harrell actually gets on the field and that is pretty damn good. They all stay fresh and wear down the OL. So personally I feel it is important to keep this unit together and keep them all signed and under contract. Makes it hard to do that when you spend an arm and leg to experiment with Peppers.

As for Peppers, last season before we made the 34 switch and he had the tag slapped on him, I was all about tossing whatever money he wanted to get him here. The guy is a pure freak, no question about that but I hate to give the guy the money he is going to demand if he isn't going to be 100% sure fire worth the money. I remember last season he made a few comments of wanting to play OLB (I think that was when the Peppers to Cowboys rumor was going around before the tag.) I love Peppers, hate hoping that he will adjust and develop a top notch OLB while paying at least 12 million a year. TT doesn't take those risk. If the new CBA is not done the FA market is very weak and Peppers will easy be the most sought after player.

I know most of us would like to draft a all-purpose back like McCluster, Spiller, Best, McKnight but what do you all think about about Leon Washington? I believe he will be UFA.

I'm 100% in favor of an all-purpose back like the ones you mention. Just seems to me like the icing on the cake to our skill-positions on offense. I know the organization probably is still hoping B-Jackson can be that but I for one am not sold on Jackson. He has had his chances, and shown slight flashes but no where near consistent enough.

Oh and isn't Reggie Bush a FA? I would cream myself if the Packers got Bush, I still absolutely love him no matter what anyone says. All hail Reggie!