PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83

RyanBraun8
02-01-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm basing it on shear numbers and athletic ability. If the Packers are going to commit to the 3-4, Aaron for all he has done for GB, is done here which is a shame but the Packers need athletic players who's game is for suited for the 3-4 which Aaron's was not.

There are many players who are physicially and athletically superior and never pan out. I bet he will be outstanding at it but ha I don't to be the one to take the chance. Could we afford to eat another Joe Johnson contract but even worse?

RyanBraun8
02-01-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm 100% in favor of an all-purpose back like the ones you mention. Just seems to me like the icing on the cake to our skill-positions on offense. I know the organization probably is still hoping B-Jackson can be that but I for one am not sold on Jackson. He has had his chances, and shown slight flashes but no where near consistent enough.

Oh and isn't Reggie Bush a FA? I would cream myself if the Packers got Bush, I still absolutely love him no matter what anyone says. All hail Reggie!

It could be just me but B-Jack just doesn't seem very explosive. I love his pass protection, does good on screens, good vision to get him some decent yards but I can't ever see him as a homerun hitter. He is just okay, not bad, not great, just average. You can tell the Packers still have hope in him. I wouldn't mind if we were to draft a true powerback like Blount eighter. I hate having to pound the ball with Kuhn.

Whistler6
02-01-2010, 11:35 PM
As sexy as Reggie Bush would be in this offense, there is 0 chance he will come to Green Bay. Hollywood lifestyle, young, famous for nothing girlfriend in LA, etc...

They could try, but I'd bet my left arm he'll look 15 other places before considering the North.

TitleTown088
02-02-2010, 12:01 AM
http://craigswinejourney.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/facepalm.jpg

http://media.jsonline.com/images/loss110809.jpg

JF4
02-02-2010, 12:56 AM
As sexy as Reggie Bush would be in this offense, there is 0 chance he will come to Green Bay. Hollywood lifestyle, young, famous for nothing girlfriend in LA, etc...

They could try, but I'd bet my left arm he'll look 15 other places before considering the North.

I regretfully concur. Still I can dream.

J-Mike88
02-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Why would GB invest all that money in a one dimensional pass rusher? No knock on Peppers athletic ability because everyone knows he truly is freakish but I don't like his chances as a successful 3-4 OLB.

Quite honestly, the simple answer to that simple question is: because we got carved up like a turkey on Thanksgiving by good QB's, NOT because our DB was bad, but because nobody could ever get pass rush on those QBs. It's all about the pass rush. Did anyone see the difference in defenses from the Saints vs Arizona and us vs Arizona? Or the Saints vs Minnesota compared to us vs Minnesota? It wasn't because the Saints DBs and LBs are better. It was 100% because they hurried, battered and bruised Favre and Warner.

Matthews is good at getting to QBs.
Peppers is better. Imagine that combo.
Use your imagination fellas. Forget the price tag. Sometimes you gotta buy the best. And please, nobody here compare Peppers to Joe Johnson.

J-Mike88
02-02-2010, 08:24 AM
One more year for the old man? Packers fans: http://www.theonion.com/content/video/packers_fan_announces_he_will?utm_source=onion_rss _daily

RockJock07
02-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Quite honestly, the simple answer to that simple question is: because we got carved up like a turkey on Thanksgiving by good QB's, NOT because our DB was bad, but because nobody could ever get pass rush on those QBs. It's all about the pass rush. Did anyone see the difference in defenses from the Saints vs Arizona and us vs Arizona? Or the Saints vs Minnesota compared to us vs Minnesota? It wasn't because the Saints DBs and LBs are better. It was 100% because they hurried, battered and bruised Favre and Warner.

Matthews is good at getting to QBs.
Peppers is better. Imagine that combo.
Use your imagination fellas. Forget the price tag. Sometimes you gotta buy the best. And please, nobody here compare Peppers to Joe Johnson.

Great post. Comparing Peppers to Johnson is a complete joke and is a slap in the fact to what Peppers has done throughout his career. We have to take a risk at some point.

RyanBraun8
02-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Yeah, in no way was I comparing them for there football abilities. I just used Johnson to point out huge contracts could bit us in the ass. Peppers is great, there is no questioning that but when people complain about about our LB's coverage (example Hawk) what is going to be different with Julius. He has never had to cover any before in his life. Look at how the Packers used Kampman. It was like 50/50 if he was coming or dropping back. They weren't giving him a chance to do what he is great at which is putting his hand on the ground and getting after it. We can marvel all we want about Peppers athletic ability but not many 6'7 300 players can be very effective in coverage. If the plan isn't to have Peppers coming on every single down like he needs to be doing then no way I spend the money. I personally don't know how one of the most prolific DE's over the last 8 seasons could want to stop putting his hand in the ground and coming every single down. It has to be hard to swallow and adjust to. You could tell it bugged Kampman.

RyanBraun8
02-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Could we afford to eat another Joe Johnson contract but even worse?

Read closely.... were does it say anywhere on here that Peppers is compared to Johnson. If it doesn't pan out we will be eating a giant contract just like we did with Joe Johnson. Read the actual words that I wrote down instead of trying to put words in my mouth. I do think he COULD be great and OLB but realistically I am not going to spend 12 million a year to find out. Hence why the contract would be worse (a lot more money)

J-Mike88
02-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Yeah, in no way was I comparing them for there football abilities. I just used Johnson to point out huge contracts could bit us in the ass. Peppers is great, there is no questioning that but when people complain about about our LB's coverage (example Hawk) what is going to be different with Julius.
ILBers are the ones who need to do the bulk of the covering. That's why they paid Chillar so much.
OLBers in these schemes, like DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Joey Porter, James Harrison, Elvis Dumervil are important NOT because they are great cover guys, but because they get to the QB. Getting to the QB is absolutely critical and is the one thing that killed us. Peppers gets to QBs as well as any of those guys listed above.

Plus I would bet that he's better at covering his space than guys like Ware, Dumervil, Harrison, Woodley, Porter and Merriman if that's what you are looking for. Think about it: He's agile and 6-6. Would you want to throw over him? Harrison and Dumervil are midgets compared to him, if that cover ability is what you want from your OLB.

Don't worry about the finances. That finds a way of working itself out. Look at the Vikings. They kept adding high priced guys everywhere.
OL with Hutchinson.
WR with Berrian.
K with Longwell.
S with Sharper when we let him go.
DL with big Pat Williams.
DL with Jared Allen.
DB with Winfield.
QB with Favre.
They drafted NONE of those guys. Think about that. Zero draft picks there for the grape apes.

Boston
02-02-2010, 10:14 AM
ILBers are the ones who need to do the bulk of the covering. That's why they paid Chillar so much.
OLBers in these schemes, like DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Joey Porter, James Harrison, Elvis Dumervil are important NOT because they are great cover guys, but because they get to the QB. Getting to the QB is absolutely critical and is the one thing that killed us. Peppers gets to QBs as well as any of those guys listed above.

Plus I would bet that he's better at covering his space than guys like Ware, Dumervil, Harrison, Woodley, Porter and Merriman if that's what you are looking for. Think about it: He's agile and 6-6. Would you want to throw over him? Harrison and Dumervil are midgets compared to him, if that cover ability is what you want from your OLB.

Don't worry about the finances. That finds a way of working itself out. Look at the Vikings. They kept adding high priced guys everywhere.
OL with Hutchinson.
WR with Berrian.
K with Longwell.
S with Sharper when we let him go.
DL with big Pat Williams.
DL with Jared Allen.
DB with Winfield.
QB with Favre.
They drafted NONE of those guys. Think about that. Zero draft picks there for the grape apes.

I'd go for another facepalm picture here, but it just seem redundant...

TitleTown088
02-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Zero draft picks there for the grape apes.

How about the 1st and two 3rd traded for Allen?

Don't worry about the finances. That finds a way of working itself out.
Are you serious? Look at what that policy has done for the 49ers/Redskins in the past.

You know what else the Vikings Haven't done? Found a franchise QB. They got very lucky that a QB of Favre's caliber ended up on the market at the perfect time. That don't happen often, you find those in the draft.

J-Mike88
02-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Are you serious? Look at what that policy has done for the 49ers/Redskins in the past.

You know what else the Vikings Haven't done? Found a franchise QB. They got very lucky that a QB of Favre's caliber ended up on the market at the perfect time. That don't happen often, you find those in the draft.
Really?
NFC's Final 4 Teams this year:
Drew Brees, Saints
Brett Favre, Vikings
Kurt Warner, Arizona
Tony Romo, Cowboys

0 of 4 were drafted by those teams.
4 of 4 weren't.

cvv84
02-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Ok time to get out of this fantasy world of signing Peppers, trading for Cromartie, trading for Merriman, ect...

Here's what I think we should do with our free agents:

Our Free Agents (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/81625107.html)

Unrestricted Free Agents

OT Chad Clifton - Re-sign 1 year. We have no other options. He should be cheap to keep for another season while we groom a replacement.

LB/DE Aaron Kampman - Re-sign 1 year. He's applied the pressure but didn't get to the QB as much as we expected. Would make a nice duo with Brad Jones.

NT Ryan Pickett - Transition tag. He's getting older, developing nagging injuries, and we have Raji in the wings. Bring Pickett back for another year or potentially trade him for picks.

RB Ahman Green - Re-sign 1 year. Grant gets the lions share of the carries anways and Brandon Jackson is going to be the 3rd down RB. Green can have whats left while providing veteran leadership.

OT Mark Tauscher - Re-sign 2 years. If we draft a LT of the future I'd like to start him at RT to help him develop. Tauscher is a nice fallback option who still has some life left in the NFL.

Exclusive Rights Free Agents

S Atari Bigby - Tender offer. He's solid and could benefit from being healthy for a change.

CB Will Blackmon -Tender offer. Good return man who's a descent dime CB.

G Daryn Colledge - No offer. Time to cut the cord on our worst starting offensive lineman.

DE Johnny Jolly - Tender offer. Had a great season in the 3-4 and continues to get better every year.

FB John Kuhn - Tender offer. Tough call seeing we have Hall and Johnson but Kuhn has been a valuable player at FB and on special teams. I think we'll only carry 2 FBs this year so competition will be tight.

C/G Jason Spitz - Tender offer. - Solid player when healthy. With Colledge gone he could take over at LG.

S Derrick Martin - Tender offer. Good special teamer who's versitile.

P Jeremy Kapinos - Tender offer. Bring him back but there will be competition.

TE Spencer Havner - Tender offer. Produced when needed and a valuable special teamer.

Restricted Free Agents

CB Tramon Williams - Tender offer. Make or break season for him. If he performs well our CB situation become much more clearer. Otherwise he's due to be a nickleback.

RB DeShawn Wynn - No offer. His injuries are getting old. Has talent but he's no longer worth waiting for.

Draft

1) OT Bruce Campbell
2) DE Corey Wootton
3) OC Maurkice Pouncey
4) CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
5) RB Javarris James
6) WR Taylor Price
7) OT Derek Hardman
7) QB Rusty Smith

cvv84
02-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Really?
Drew Brees, Saints
Brett Favre, Vikings
Kurt Warner, Arizona
Tony Romo, Cowboys

4 of 4 weren't.

Yet 8 of the 12 playoff teams started QBs that they drafted. Way to only put the stats that favored your point in your post.

roidrunner
02-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Really?
Drew Brees, Saints
Brett Favre, Vikings
Kurt Warner, Arizona
Tony Romo, Cowboys

4 of 4 weren't.

Tony Romo was signed as a UDFA, so i would consider that as a half truth. Cause he has spent his whole career as a cowboy.

RyanBraun8
02-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Romo and Warner weren't given huge sums of money or considered a franchise QB. Romo wasn't drafted by the Cowboys but was a UDFA for them and cost them almost nothing. Warner's career was over and he was brought in to Arizona to back-up/bridge Leinart the way he did Eli. Brees is the only legit Franchise QB of those 4.

Do you really want the Packers to be the Redskins? or the Vikings? How many super bowls have they won over the last 10 years by over paying for free agents because the player is going to get them over the hump? ZERO! Marvel all you want how Packers need to spend, spend, spend and shouldn't care if Peppers wants a Haynesworth contract but I am going to continue to care about the future of the Packers and them being smart.

CV is right lets move onto reality and get over the Peppers idea because TT is not going to make that happen no matter how much some may want it.

Leon Washington is the one player that really catches my eye who will be an UFA. If there is no new CBA this draft class is pretty bare and unattractive. If we go after someone I think he'd be a great choice and after his injury may be able to get him at a reasonable price.

roidrunner
02-02-2010, 03:32 PM
this is actually one of the deeper draft classes in recent memory. and TT wont sign peppers or let alone anyone of great stature. Lets be realistic, it is not TT's style to go out and spend large amounts of money on players. He builds through the draft, he trades down to get picks, and he stays true to his draft board. That is TT's MO. its not signing huge contract players. I know Charles woodson, but he is the exception and not the rule. Other than CW there is not a single big signing in TT's past.

TitleTown088
02-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Brees is the only legit Franchise QB of those 4.
Exactly my point. AT 40/38 Favre and Warner were not regarded as "franchise QBs". Brees as an oddity because they had Rivers.

J-Mike88
02-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Yet 8 of the 12 playoff teams started QBs that they drafted. Way to only put the stats that favored your point in your post.

Ok time to get out of this fantasy world of signing Peppers, trading for Cromartie, trading for Merriman, ect...

Here's what I think we should do with our free agents:

Our Free Agents (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/81625107.html)

Unrestricted Free Agents

OT Chad Clifton - Re-sign 1 year. We have no other options. He should be cheap to keep for another season while we groom a replacement.

LB/DE Aaron Kampman - Re-sign 1 year. He's applied the pressure but didn't get to the QB as much as we expected. Would make a nice duo with Brad Jones.

NT Ryan Pickett - Transition tag. He's getting older, developing nagging injuries, and we have Raji in the wings. Bring Pickett back for another year or potentially trade him for picks.

RB Ahman Green - Re-sign 1 year. Grant gets the lions share of the carries anways and Brandon Jackson is going to be the 3rd down RB. Green can have whats left while providing veteran leadership.

OT Mark Tauscher - Re-sign 2 years. If we draft a LT of the future I'd like to start him at RT to help him develop. Tauscher is a nice fallback option who still has some life left in the NFL.

Exclusive Rights Free Agents

S Atari Bigby - Tender offer. He's solid and could benefit from being healthy for a change.

CB Will Blackmon -Tender offer. Good return man who's a descent dime CB.

G Daryn Colledge - No offer. Time to cut the cord on our worst starting offensive lineman.

DE Johnny Jolly - Tender offer. Had a great season in the 3-4 and continues to get better every year.

FB John Kuhn - Tender offer. Tough call seeing we have Hall and Johnson but Kuhn has been a valuable player at FB and on special teams. I think we'll only carry 2 FBs this year so competition will be tight.

C/G Jason Spitz - Tender offer. - Solid player when healthy. With Colledge gone he could take over at LG.

S Derrick Martin - Tender offer. Good special teamer who's versitile.

P Jeremy Kapinos - Tender offer. Bring him back but there will be competition.

TE Spencer Havner - Tender offer. Produced when needed and a valuable special teamer.

Restricted Free Agents

CB Tramon Williams - Tender offer. Make or break season for him. If he performs well our CB situation become much more clearer. Otherwise he's due to be a nickleback.

RB DeShawn Wynn - No offer. His injuries are getting old. Has talent but he's no longer worth waiting for.

Draft

1) OT Bruce Campbell
2) DE Corey Wootton
3) OC Maurkice Pouncey
4) CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
5) RB Javarris James
6) WR Taylor Price
7) OT Derek Hardman
7) QB Rusty Smith

I like the FA decisions and Campbell with the first pick.
But between the draft and FA, I see nothing done about our glaring lack of pass rush vs good QB's here. That was our fatal achilles heal. We exited from the playoffs because we couldn't get close to Warner, as we couldn't get close to Favre twice. Hoping Jones or Obiozor improves is one thing, but like they waited on Harrell, it's too important to fix that. I don't know about Wootton, is he a DE like Brandon Graham who will convert to a OLB in the 3-4? If so, perfect.

J-Mike88
02-02-2010, 05:10 PM

Not true.
But the fact is the Final 4 in the NFC started QBs that they did not draft.
So calling the Vikings or Saints lucky they got one not-in-the-draft is not accurate really. It's aggressive. Sometimes you strike out (see the Redskins).
Sometimes you hit home runs. The Rams wouldn't have gone to those Super Bowls without Marshall Faulk, and they didn't draft him. The Steelers didn't draft Jerome Bettis. Or James Harrison. Things have changed on the NFL Landscape over the past 20 years. It's not all about the draft.

Imagine us without Woodson and Harris. Neither our draft picks.

The Saints with Brees is one thing. But their top 2 players on defense this season: Darren Sharper and Jonathan Vilma.

Don't let Daniel Synder's free agent follies scare you away from utilizing one of the tools in building a team in today's NFL.

cvv84
02-02-2010, 05:16 PM

Not true.

1) Patriots - Tom Brady
2) Jets - Mark Sanchez
3) Bengals - Carson Palmer
4) Ravens - Joe Flacco
5) Colts - Peyton Manning
6) Chargers - Phillip Rivers
7) Eagles - Donovan McNabb
8) Packers - Aaron Rodgers

How is that not true?

roidrunner
02-02-2010, 05:53 PM
past green bay free agents.
2009: Anthony Smith, Duke Preston,
2008:Brandon Chillar, LS Thomas Gafford and OT Joe Toledo
2007: Frank Walker
i dont really see us changing from our track record, i would go more indepth but i can not find any more websites that would have free agent signings from 2006 and down.

umphrey
02-02-2010, 06:16 PM
People always say this or that free agent will never live up to the contract he signs. Well those people just don't understand inflation or finances. That huge contract Peppers is going to sign will sound massive and everyone will say he won't play up to it. Halfway through the contract though it will seem about right and towards the end it will sound cheap, or it might be a backloaded contract with a few expensive years on the end that he never sees.

Now that I got that out of the way I want to change my tone. For us Peppers WOULD NOT live up to the contract we gave him. He's a 4-3 DE people. I don't care if he said he wants to play in a 3-4, I wont change my opinion until someone like Dom Capers or Kevin Greene says he should play in a 3-4. It would be just like Kampman part II, except a little better player with a lot higher expectations - because we actually picked him and gave him a bunch of long term money. He would probably get to the QB better than Brad Jones - keep in mind though that we'd be replacing a natural linebacker with someone who always rushed from a down stance. But we'd have the same problem where half of our defense is going to struggle with outside contain and coverage in the 0-5 yard range. Not even close to worth it.

As much as I hate Merriman I'd rather have him because he is actually a linebacker and can do those things.

Sometimes I wonder if people are just looking for Reggie White part II, paying attention to the similarities and ignoring the differences.

The economy might help us in free agency right now. Our franchise is immune to the recession since we always sell out and the state's priorities pretty much go water-food-shelter-packers (clothing would be next except they'll just buy Packer clothes if they had to...). So prices might come down with a lot of teams not driving up the bid for free agents. Of course there are still some near death billionaires around to screw it up for us (looking at you, Al Davis), but this franchise has the best chance in this type of economic climate.

cvv84
02-02-2010, 07:25 PM
I don't really care if he lived up to the contract or not, spending $12-17 million a year on one player who isn't a QB is never a smart idea. We have a bunch of free agents of our own to sign and several guys to lock up long term. We could sign 3 good guys instead of 1 great guy.

RockJock07
02-02-2010, 08:24 PM
We are going to all have to agree to disagree on this. We all want this team to win however what they do to get there I don't really care. I think Peppers would add something to this defense that would be unlike something we've scene since Reggie.

I don't want to waste this great offense we have, let's get a defense around them so that the Packers can contend for years to come. Aaron is nearly at his peak and with Finley, James Jones, and Jordy coming into their own along with Jennings, Grant, Driver, now is the time to get a defense.

We have solid parts of the defense like Matthews, Raji, and Woodson, let's add a pass rusher in his prime. Someone already said it on here but it all comes down to getting pressure on the QB.

After another off-season in the 3-4 along with Peppers and Matthews on the edges, Jarret Bush might actually be serviceable.

I understand that it probably won't happen but I'll keep dreaming.

J-Mike88
02-02-2010, 09:17 PM
1) Patriots - Tom Brady
2) Jets - Mark Sanchez
3) Bengals - Carson Palmer
4) Ravens - Joe Flacco
5) Colts - Peyton Manning
6) Chargers - Phillip Rivers
7) Eagles - Donovan McNabb
8) Packers - Aaron Rodgers

How is that not true?

Google the 2004 Draft. That's my one clue for you. 8)

cvv84
02-02-2010, 09:20 PM

What the hell are you talking about? You said that 4 of the NFC teams this year didn't draft their current QB and I said that 8 of the 12 playoff teams did. You make no sense.

Be realistic. Green Bay isn't the destination for top tier free agents and Ted Thompson doesn't make blockbuster trades. Would these guys help? Most definetly. Throw out Reggie White's name all you want but thats when free agency was new.

Boston
02-02-2010, 09:36 PM

I honestly hope you're not talking about the fact that the Chargers traded for Philip Rivers, rather then keeping Eli Manning...who is also a pro bowl franchise QB...

RyanBraun8
02-02-2010, 09:36 PM

Okay that doesn't even count. Rivers was a Giant for less than 5 minutes. It's like say Marbury or Dirk were Bucks players. Even with Rivers out of the picture over half were still drafted by the team they lead to the playoffs. Plus your arguement was about free agent signings and not trades.

RyanBraun8
02-02-2010, 09:51 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

Did anyone read this yet? It's about Collins and Sharper. It really kinda of got me upset. Sharper was my favorite player growing up, they drafted him when I was in 5th and 6th grade and he instantly became my Favorite Packer. I was sucked when TT released him. Then we drafted Collins, and he turned out to be really good and makes the same type of big plays Sharper did. Now here he is 26, just went to back to back pro-bowls, and really is hitting the prime of his career and TT has shown no interest in locking him up long-term. It doesn't make sense to me.

He has a good amount of blown coverages and I hate his can be questionable at times but I don't think there is a team in the NFL that wouldn't want to have him. It's mind bottling! (Will Ferrell quote)

Favorite part of blog post:
Sharper was then asked whether he thought he was going to follow in Butler's footsteps and retire as a Packer.

"I thought I was," Sharper said. "Then enters Ted Thompson."

cvv84
02-02-2010, 10:01 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

Did anyone read this yet? It's about Collins and Sharper. It really kinda of got me upset. Sharper was my favorite player growing up, they drafted him when I was in 5th and 6th grade and he instantly became my Favorite Packer. I was sucked when TT released him. Then we drafted Collins, and he turned out to be really good and makes the same type of big plays Sharper did. Now here he is 26, just went to back to back pro-bowls, and really is hitting the prime of his career and TT has shown no interest in locking him up long-term. It doesn't make sense to me.

He has a good amount of blown coverages and I hate his can be questionable at times but I don't think there is a team in the NFL that wouldn't want to have him. It's mind bottling! (Will Ferrell quote)

Favorite part of blog post:

A potential lockout in 2011 is holding everything up if you ask me. I don't think the Packers want to invest alot of money in players that might not be playing. Thompson has shown that he isn't affraid to lock up the guys he brought in (Rodgers, Poppinga, Jennings, Grant, Chillar)

I think he's playing hard ball with Collins to humble him. Seems to be working lately after Collins threatened holdout. I don't see us no signing Collins long term at some point in the near future.

umphrey
02-03-2010, 02:35 AM
I don't see any reason we'd let Collins walk. We have more time to make that contract happen than people realize. Regarding Sharper taking a jab at TT - any player that doesn't get resigned is going to take it personally. We can't sign everyone. Seeing Sharper make the pro bowl points to a mistake on Thompson's part, but to be fair who knows what waves and ripples resigning him would have had (like Collins wearing different colors).

J-Mike88
02-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Are you telling me the Chargers drafted Philip Rivers?
I mean you made it technical disputing the fact that none of the final 4 NFC QBs were drafted by their teams after someone said it was very rare and lucky the Vikings got a good one in Farve without having to draft him. How rare is it when the best 4 in the NFC got their QBs without drafting them? That's not rare. Maybe more uncommon than drafting one, but it's not rare.

And to just call the Vikings "lucky" for their success is bitter and immature.

They took big swings trading for Jared Allen, signing FAs like Longwell, Hutchinson, Winfield, P Williams, M Williams, etc. That's not luck. That's aggressive. And they swept us and have won the division from us the past 2 seasons. Nobody hates the Vikings more than I do, but their approach has been no less successful than ours has. Let's drop the ego and admit facts here.

As for Peppers, no kidding that he will be expensive and it's no secret that we would seem to be a team that would not be aggressive pursuing him.
But I agree with Michael Lombardi and RockJock that it would be the best thing that we could do to our team. It would solve our biggest weakness. It would give us one of the NFL's best playmakers... he's a difference-maker. I subscribe to the theory that the team with the best playmakers has the best chance to win Super Bowls.

Peppers would be our Demarcus Ware, our Jared Allen, our Dwight Freeney and he deserves to be paid in that range.

We aren't in bad shape financially, even with this being an uncapped year, if we need to, we can free up some money by going rookie in replacing Donald Lee, Kampman, Colledge, Jarrett Bush, etc. We don't have to though. We can take on Peppers and give him a new contract. Trust in Ted. But no, I would not bet on in happening.

J-Mike88
02-03-2010, 06:50 AM
A potential lockout in 2011 is holding everything up if you ask me. I don't think the Packers want to invest alot of money in players that might not be playing. Thompson has shown that he isn't affraid to lock up the guys he brought in (Rodgers, Poppinga, Jennings, Grant, Chillar)

I think he's playing hard ball with Collins to humble him. Seems to be working lately after Collins threatened holdout. I don't see us no signing Collins long term at some point in the near future.

That CBA mess is without question the big issue at the moment regarding Collins.
If he was going to be an UFA like normal, he would have been locked up by now. But he's not. He's basically trapped for another year, or even two. So he's not as high priority as someone else who might get away easier. Plus we could always tag Collins and if someone else wanted him bad enough, the Packers would get some serious compensation for him. I'm pretty sure that would never happen though. But in this business, you never say never. I think we've all learned that.

J-Mike88
02-03-2010, 06:53 AM
Green Bay Packers Discussion

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/4414/packerscp9.gif

Official Team Website: http://www.packers.com
Depth Chart: http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/GB
Roster: http://www.nfl.com/teams/rosters/GB
Stats: http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/GB
News: http://www.nfl.com/teams/news/GB

---

Packers Websites:
JS Online: Packers Plus Online (http://www.jsonline.com/index/index.aspx?id=44)
Packers News (http://www.packersnews.com)
ESPN: Green Bay Packers Clubhouse (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=gnb)

Hey I'm new here still, relatively, but is there something I have to do to see images? I've posted them before, but can't see them. Now reading this from holy Moses, I can't see any there either but it looks like some are posted. Is it my settings, or does this site not show photos? A little help for the new kid thanks. :cool:

cvv84
02-03-2010, 10:08 AM
http://craigswinejourney.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/facepalm.jpg

This is starting to become a theme here and I can see this post getting bumped quite a bit...

J-Mike88
02-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Where or who is Moses? I've been here a month and never seen the guy post .....

princefielder28
02-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Where or who is Moses? I've been here a month and never seen the guy post .....

He's been removed from the site

roidrunner
02-03-2010, 01:29 PM
he got removed??? wow he has a big time poster when he was active. what happened?

roidrunner
02-03-2010, 01:30 PM
he now enters the realm of those who will be known in infamy like KwikDaSheek

TitleTown088
02-03-2010, 02:02 PM
he got removed??? wow he has a big time poster when he was active. what happened?

He was removed a loooong time ago. He keeps trying to come back under new names. He couldn't keep his mouth shut on controversial issues that are not supposed to be discussed on here.

roidrunner
02-03-2010, 02:07 PM
fair enough, dam canadians lol.

CC.SD
02-03-2010, 02:34 PM
http://packerchatters.com/?p=11062
AJ Hawk and a 2nd for Cromartie and a 3rd?

Come take a ride on the lollercoaster, this deal would essentially be the Pack trading their 3rd for the Chargers' 2nd.

roidrunner
02-03-2010, 02:37 PM
i dont see it happening....

cvv84
02-03-2010, 02:40 PM
http://packerchatters.com/?p=11062
AJ Hawk and a 2nd for Cromartie and a 3rd?

Come take a ride on the lollercoaster, this deal would essentially be the Pack trading their 3rd for the Chargers' 2nd.

Hell no. Packerchatters is a terrible site for info too.

tjsunstein
02-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Packerchatters is awful.

RyanBraun8
02-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Packerchatters is about as legit as Jarrett Bush being a true shut down corner... catch my drift.

I don't even waste my time reading anything from there anymore and if I do I take it with a grain of sand.

They took big swings trading for Jared Allen, signing FAs like Longwell, Hutchinson, Winfield, P Williams, M Williams, etc. That's not luck. That's aggressive. And they swept us and have won the division from us the past 2 seasons. Nobody hates the Vikings more than I do, but their approach has been no less successful than ours has. Let's drop the ego and admit facts here.

As for Peppers, no kidding that he will be expensive and it's no secret that we would seem to be a team that would not be aggressive pursuing him.
But I agree with Michael Lombardi and RockJock that it would be the best thing that we could do to our team. It would solve our biggest weakness. It would give us one of the NFL's best playmakers... he's a difference-maker. I subscribe to the theory that the team with the best playmakers has the best chance to win Super Bowls.

Two questions for ya?

How many Superbowls have the Vikings been to since going on there spending spree?

Did Albert Haynesworth, the man consider by many the best defense of player in the game bring the Redskins to the promise land this season?

Sidenote: The 2008 season marked the first season since 2000 that the Vikings finished with a winning record and made the playoffs. And in those 8 seasons they pissed away a lot of money just to lose games.

Edit: couldn't get the picture to work..

Favre4ever
02-03-2010, 03:19 PM
fair enough, dam canadians lol.

Hey!! I mean eh!

Whistler6
02-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Yes Packerchatters has 0 credibility. Thankfully eveyrone here seems to have already realized that as well...Moochers. I like the Jarrectt Bush comparisson.

TitleTown088
02-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Packerschatter just makes up BS and copies other site's articles. I'm not sure who they think they're fooling

cvv84
02-03-2010, 04:23 PM
I like how they act like they have inside information. Lets just break it down for a second:

As I reported in the previous O.T.S. the Chargers have a couple players that they will have to make some tough decisions on, LT, Shawne Merriman and Antonio Cromartie to name a few. Well I heard at the end of training camp this year the Chargers and Packers talked about a possible deal that had the Packers sending A.J. Hawk and a 1st rounder to the Chargers for Cromartie and the Chargers 2nd.

Also: hearing that because Hawk is less likely to take a pay cut, the deal could happen. I am hearing the two teams again talked about a Hawk for Cromartie deal recently with the Packers sending a 2nd rounder to the Chargers and the Chargers sending a 3rd rounder to the Packers.

This is common knowledge that the Chargers aren't high on Tomlinson, Merriman, and Cromartie. But since when has TT been known to throw around high picks for players?

We're talking about a guy who wouldn't put up a 3rd round pick for Randy Moss here. So why would the Packers, who were drafting 9th overall, feel confident in trading a future 1st round pick and Hawk for Cromartie and late 2nd? Let alone swaping 2nd and 3rd round picks for Cromartie today.

Also: hearing unless Donald Lee takes a pay cut he will be traded or cut. The Packers don’t want to pay him $2 million to drop passes and block.

Again, how is this inside news? Every Packers fan knows that Lee isn't worth any value to the team right now.

Also: heard a rumor that if Jahvid Best checks out ok (regarding his conclusion during the 2009 season) and has a great combine, he may be a player that Ted Thompson thinks about at the end of round 1 (if CJ Spiller is gone).

Oh so if a guy who was rated a 1st round pick before he got injured can have a great combine and prove that he's back to 100% will go in the 2nd half of the 1st round?

Also: hearing that the Packers want to have the offensive tackle situation taken care of via free agency and will look to add a “level II” free agent. The two names that came (back) up were the two Buccaneers offensive tackles, Donald Penn and Jeremy Trueblood. A few other names that came up were Alex Barron of the Rams and Jahri Evans of the Saints.

Hear this PC, Penn, Trueblood, Barron, and Evans are restricted free agents. There's no way we'd sign any of them unless we overpayed. Not too mention signing Barron would cost us a 1st round pick, Trueblood a 2nd round pick, and Evans a 4th round pick.

If they deal Hawk, the name I hear they would like to have as his replacement is the Raiders Kirk Morrison. They also like Thomas Howard of the Raiders and may look to him as the other outside backer opposite of Clay Matthews III. But remember this is Ted Thompson and it has to be at the right price.

Again, Morrison and Howard are both restricted free agents. Howard would cost a 2nd and Morrison a 3rd.

Look for the Packers to give T.J. Lang a shot at either tackle spot. He did very good in the action he saw and has some tools McCarthy likes in his tackles. Remember he didn’t get that much work their last training camp.

Wow thanks for the heads up! We never saw that coming. Lang also got most of his work in at RT during training camp.

TitleTown088
02-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Hear this PC, Penn, Trueblood, Barron, and Evans are restricted free agents. There's no way we'd sign any of them unless we overpayed. Not too mention signing Barron would cost us a 1st round pick, Trueblood a 2nd round pick, and Evans a 4th round pick.

Not to mention Penn a level II FA? The guy is a damn fine young LT who is going nowhere for cheap price.

J-Mike88
02-04-2010, 07:52 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/04/adalius-thomas-falling-out-began-in-week-one/

The Patriots didn't play as much 3-4 this year as before, and he's been misused and forgotten about. Could he help us opposite Matthews?

Thompson did bring in the veterans this year bringing back Ahman and Tauscher.

JF4
02-04-2010, 07:55 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/04/adalius-thomas-falling-out-began-in-week-one/

The Patriots didn't play as much 3-4 this year as before, and he's been misused and forgotten about. Could he help us opposite Matthews?

Thompson did bring in the veterans this year bringing back Ahman and Tauscher.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Thomas at all if we could get him for a good price. His whole falling out with the Patriots was mysterious and I would kind of like to hear the Patriots side of the story when it comes to him not playing.

cvv84
02-04-2010, 08:13 PM
I'd love to have Thomas but I'd have to think he'd want to join Rex in NY and get some revenge on the Patriots.

J-Mike88
02-04-2010, 08:17 PM
I'd love to have Thomas but I'd have to think he'd want to join Rex in NY and get some revenge on the Patriots.
Agree 100%, which is why I suspect the Patriots will at least try and deal him anywhere else first.

Now, quick sidenote: Someone said that Hawk is pretty cheap, while I have heard someone else say nobody would trade for him because his contract is too high.... regardless of that, check out the difference in philosophies in contracts dealing with trades compared to the NBA:

If the Mavs make a significant trade, struggling swingman Josh Howard is likely to be the centerpiece of the outgoing package. Howard is in the middle of the worst season of his career, but he's an attractive trade chip because of his big contract, which includes a team option for $11.8 million next season.

It's totally different than the NFL.

Packystan
02-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Story on LT.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4888134

Any way possible he ends up a Packer? I'd absolutely love it if Ted made this move.

Jim Jim
02-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Ahman Green offers far more than LT would, in my opinion. Not going to happen.

RockJock07
02-04-2010, 10:41 PM

Huh? Green was signed off the street this year, LT is a top 5 RB of all-time.

umphrey
02-04-2010, 10:47 PM

Huh? They are both at the end of their rope but LT is/was way better and still has more gas in the tank. Regardless not going to happen because I can think of 3 places we can get a running back almost as good for next to minimum wage, considering Tomlinson's got the skills of a good backup at this point.

Tomlinson > > > Ahman though

J-Mike88
02-04-2010, 11:28 PM
LT has been overrated for 3 years now, and once he didn't play in that playoff loss at New England when he was hurt, but Rivers DID when he was hurt, LT lost that clubhouse.

Also, Michael Turner was better in SD his last 2 years there. I had LT in fantasy and even though LT put up good points in Turners last 2 years there, it was plain as day that Turner was better. Now the past 2 years, Sproles has been better.

I want no part of LT anymore. I have a little inside info on LT I heard about 2 years ago, maybe 3, that soured me on him and luckily I traded LT in my fantasy 2 drafts ago (keeper league). I like Ahman, but wouldn't object to some fresh, hungry legs. Not LT's worn out tread though, with crappy attitude. He's like Iverson now.

RyanBraun8
02-05-2010, 12:12 AM
We want a RB though FA: Leon Washington.....BOOM! I love LT and he is one of my all-time favorite running backs but he seems to be on his last wheel like my other favorite growing up Edge James with Zona a few seasons ago. You know he doesn't want to take less money and your not going to get what you pay for him. Not worth it. Grant is still the better option.

JF4
02-05-2010, 02:26 AM
LT has been overrated for 3 years now, and once he didn't play in that playoff loss at New England when he was hurt, but Rivers DID when he was hurt, LT lost that clubhouse.

Also, Michael Turner was better in SD his last 2 years there. I had LT in fantasy and even though LT put up good points in Turners last 2 years there, it was plain as day that Turner was better. Now the past 2 years, Sproles has been better.

I want no part of LT anymore. I have a little inside info on LT I heard about 2 years ago, maybe 3, that soured me on him and luckily I traded LT in my fantasy 2 drafts ago (keeper league). I like Ahman, but wouldn't object to some fresh, hungry legs. Not LT's worn out tread though, with crappy attitude. He's like Iverson now.

Go on.....

Packystan
02-05-2010, 03:52 AM
I think the ZBS's one cut philosophy would greatly benefit LT, who is only 29 years old, and is hungry for a championship. I'm just saying, if LT is willing to come in and be a complementary back with Grant... it'd be kinda hard to not be drooling over the the thought of LT in this offense.

TitleTown088
02-05-2010, 12:34 PM
He's 30 years old. LT is till a solid player but he's nothing like he used to be. I'd rather find a nice RB in the draft to develop behind Grant ( a very solid RB).

J-Mike88
02-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Fellas, speaking of OT's, I found this FA list for OT's. Pay close attention to #7, 10 & 11.
http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2010OT.php

If there's something about that site that I should know here, please educate me.

RyanBraun8
02-05-2010, 02:50 PM
He is 30 with a lot of miles on his tires, RB's these days hit a giant wall around 30, Jamal Lewis, Ahman Green, Edge James, Duese McAlister, Shawn Alexander, and the list goes on and on. These guys show that the one man horse days are over. If you want a RB to last a long time you have to be a 2 back team.

LT I think could still be good with the right team, scheme and line. He may have a lot of miles but Chargers used Turner and Sporales very well to keep him fresh but injuries have killed him.

bigbluedefense
02-05-2010, 02:50 PM
trading Hawk and a 1st for Cro and a 2nd might be one of the dumbest trades Ive seen in awhile.

If TT does that, he should get fired.

RyanBraun8
02-05-2010, 02:57 PM
trading Hawk and a 1st for Cro and a 2nd might be one of the dumbest trades Ive seen in awhile.

If TT does that, he should get fired.

Agreed. Why would a guy who thinks so highly of draft picks just toss away a 1st round pick like that. Pure foolishness, Cromartie alone isn't worth a first round pick. I think Hawk and him aren't that far apart. Hawk at least plays hard works hard and is a team guy. Cromartie is lazy and all about himself. Packers would be a huge losser in this. We lose a solid ILB who works his ass off and first round pick for a late second round pick and a lazy, self centered CB who will play hard when he wants, and try to tackle when he wants.

MidwayMonster31
02-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Andre Dixon would do well in the Packers offense. He has a good burst, runs between the tackles, or to the outside pretty well, and is quick enough to make people miss. He might be able to start in the NFL. I don't know how much the Packers draft players with off-field incidents though.

Whistler6
02-05-2010, 04:53 PM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2010/02/brettcha.jpeg

Found this on Deadspin and PackerNews.com. It started as some fans on facebook, and now thousands of dollars have been donated for this billboard. I guess they are trying to raise $80,000 for D. Favre's cancer foundation as well.

I'm pretty much indifferent on the Favre retirement situation now, but I think if Viking fans believe THEY will have any say in what Favre does...They are in for a sad reality.

J-Mike88
02-05-2010, 04:56 PM
TT would never trade Hawk and a #1 pick for anyone.
I bet there are more than a few teams would would give up a pick in the 20-range for Cromartie.
CB's are hard to find. We took Carroll and Buckley and Antwan Edwards in the 1st rounds over the past couple decades and none of them did anywhere near what Cromartie has done.

Cromartie is soft, but he's got great speed, great heighth, and is a playmaker. You guys said that TT liked tall CB's. That's Cromartie. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, happens with Cromartie, and Peppers. I'd bet against us being involved, but you never know.

cvv84
02-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Did Ted Thompson step down as GM or something?

Merriman... Cromartie... Peppers... LT.... Trading top picks for players....

J-Mike88
02-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Every year, fans want this guy or that guy, this guy or the other.
Who here was salivating for Franky Walker 3 years ago? That's who he got us.
Who here was salivating for Brandon Chillar 2 years ago? That's who he got us.
Who here was salivating over Anthony Smith 1 year ago? That's who he brought us.

Now if any parallels come true between TT and Wolf, in this critical 6th year for TT, then TT will bring in a few key FA's. But I still do not expect it at all.

But our pass rush must improve for our team to have a chance at the Super Bowl. I'll be happy with a FA OT/CB and just give me Brandon Graham in the draft. That's a Christmas present right there. Matthews and Graham would race to the QB game after game.

Whistler6
02-05-2010, 10:42 PM

I'm fairly confident in stating that I doubt any of the 5 happen. Cromartie possibly, but definitely not for a 1st or a 2nd and/or additional player. Maybe there is a new Ted we have yet to see, but it would be a complete 180 degree spin for him to unload cash on guys like Merriman or Peppers.

RyanBraun8
02-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Every year, fans want this guy or that guy, this guy or the other.
Who here was salivating for Franky Walker 3 years ago? That's who he got us.
Who here was salivating for Brandon Chillar 2 years ago? That's who he got us.
Who here was salivating over Anthony Smith 1 year ago? That's who he brought us.

Now if any parallels come true between TT and Wolf, in this critical 6th year for TT, then TT will bring in a few key FA's. But I still do not expect it at all.

But our pass rush must improve for our team to have a chance at the Super Bowl. I'll be happy with a FA OT/CB and just give me Brandon Graham in the draft. That's a Christmas present right there. Matthews and Graham would race to the QB game after game.

Nothing wrong with playing smart. Its much more likely to find gold through the draft somewhere than over indulging on big time free agents who usually never live up to the hype.

Football truely is the same with baseball, you don't have to spend a lot to get a lot. Look at the Marlins they are in play-off contention every year and even have made it to the World Series and they don't spend anything. Anyone can go out and buy buy buy but that isn't what wins games its the smart decisions you make through the draft and bring in roll players.

Same with college football....Wisconsin, Utah, TCU, Boise St. they don't get the blue chips, they struggle to get any 4 star prospect but they bring in the right players that fit their mold and system. They don't need top notch recruits to compete. Many college programs get all these top flight guys and struggle to win 7 or 8 games.

I personally find smart managing the best way to go. I don't know, I'm a double major in Sports and Recreation Management and Business Administration so having study all areas of business and extensively the management of sports (Sports Law, Facilities,Programming, etc) for almost 4 years now ha I think it is just programmed into my brain. Don't take giant risk unless you know for sure there will be a high reward. For every great Woodson signing there are many more Joe Johnson (Packers), LaVar Arrington(Giants), Jevon Kearse (Eagles), Dion Sanders (Skins), David Boston (Chargers).

Kearse was sure fire, bullet proof signing for the Eagles and they paid him a good chunk a cash. Kearse in his first 5 season he ranked up 47.5 sacks taking into account that he missed almost one whole season with the Titans. So essentially 45.5 sacks in 4 seasons (11 a year). He went on two have to plus seasons to start out with with 7.5 each season then only 7 over the next 2 after that. Wasn't what they hoped for. Not horrible but good or worth the money.

Remember Woodson was our back-up plan, TT had a plan to spend and the guy he was already to pony up around 40+ million for is the classic reason not to throw money around. That guy who luckly turned us down for the Giants would be LeVar Arrington who did absolutely nothing for the G-Man and made them pay for it....it almost was us, thank god Green Bay isn't a sexy place for big name free agents.

RyanBraun8
02-06-2010, 01:41 AM
For anyone who thinks buying big name free agents is the only way to go to be a great team, here is a great example of how that statement is just not true:

Colts Offense:
QB Manning D1-98
RB Addai D1-06/Brown D1-09
WR: Wayne D1-01/Gonzalez D1-07
WR:Garcon D6-08/Collie D4-09...Baskett FA-09
TE: Clark D1-03
OT: Johnson D6-06/Diem D4-01/ Ugoh D2-07
OG: DeVan UDFA-09/ Lija W-04/ Pollack D2-08
C: Saturday FA-99

Defense:
DE: Freeney D1-02/Mathis D5-03/Brock-FA-02
DT:Johnson FA-08/Muir W-08/Moala 2-09
OLB: Wheeler D3-08/ Sessions 4-07/ 2 UDFA Backups from 09
MLB:Brackett FA-03/ Keiaho-D3-06
CB:Jackson-D1-05/Hayden-D2-05/Lacey-UDFA-09/Powers-D3-09
FS:Bethea D6-06/Bullitt UDFA-07
SS:Sanders D2-04 /Francisco W-09

K: Vinatari FA-06

Sooooooo here we have a team that could have gone undefeated if they wanted to this season and compete for a super bowl evey year and their biggest bang in free agency has been Vinatari and the superstar Hank Baskett (wait i mean the man with with the superstar playmate for a wife) over the last 3 seasons.

Not one of the core players that make the colts the colts were big team FA's but were drafted. Prime example of how to build a team right. Say no to big FA's, save money to spoil you core players, find suitable role players to build around core. TT has built this team right and need to continue to live and die through the draft and keep your core intact. If you sign free agents sign guys who can get the job done at a reasonable price.

Packers are close just need to hit on a few picks this year and keep their core signed.

roidrunner
02-06-2010, 03:53 AM
i completely agree Ryanbraun8.

J-Mike88
02-06-2010, 08:02 AM
i completely agree Ryanbraun8.
He's right, but A) it would mean nothing without one guy, Peyton Manning, B) that's one team out of 32.

Key Saints who weren't drafted by their teams:
*QB Deew Breesus
*RB Pierre Thomas
TE Jeremy Shockey
*LB Jon Vilma
LB Scott Fujita
*S Darren Sharper
There might be more as I am not sure about their OL and DL guys.

*denotes stud performer.

Speaking of the Saints and what Gregg Williams defense has done the past 2 games to Warner and Farve: Am I the only one who wonders what our defense would have been like had he accepted Ted's offer first and been our DC this year???? I think our defense has more talent than that Saints one.

ImBrotherCain
02-06-2010, 09:01 AM
He's right, but A) it would mean nothing without one guy, Peyton Manning, B) that's one team out of 32.

*QB Deew Breesus
*RB Pierre Thomas
TE Jeremy Shockey
*LB Jon Vilma
LB Scott Fujita
*S Darren Sharper

*denotes stud performer.

Speaking of the Saints and what Gregg Williams defense has done the past 2 games to Warner and Farve: Am I the only one who wonders what our defense would have been like had he accepted Ted's offer first and been our DC this year???? I think our defense has more talent than that Saints one.

He was an UDFA so you really cant really say that.

RyanBraun8
02-06-2010, 12:03 PM

*QB Drew Brees
RB Pierre Thomas
TE Jeremy Shockey
*LB Jon Vilma
LB Scott Fujita
*S Darren Sharper

*denotes stud performer.

Brees was the only hig caliber signing out of those guys. Sharper wasnt a top notch signing at the time his deal was like 3/13 mil. Fujita is like the Chiller signing. Only 4 years-12 million, Shockey and Vilma were trades for draft picks. Shockey is always hurt and has not been the guy they traded for. Pierre was UDFA as mention before.

So only big signing in Brees, a couple of Prickett, Chillar type ones, few big hits in the draft and 2 trades (Vilma was well worth it, Shockey not so much)

It really has a lot to do with the QB, and luckly we have a premier one in Rodgers. We are only a few small pieces away.

J-Mike88
02-06-2010, 04:28 PM
He was an UDFA so you really cant really say that.
I said he wasn't drafted. Just like Atari Bigby and Tyrell Sutton.
And James Harrison.
It's true. Honestly, teams can build and add good talent through alterior methods other than the draft. Ted's laid a great foundation here.

J-Mike88
02-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Saints Alive!
Them winning has to make the Vikings feel worse, as they really spanked the Saints around, IN New Orleans.

But I feel bad about something.
Sean Payton wanted to be our coach in 2006, and we had first crack at him.

Also, last year, we wanted Greg Williams as our DC, and he wanted to get our gig. But his family preferred he stay in the south so he took the Saints job after Sean Payton ponied up more money to match us.

Dammit. Both of those guys could have been ours. Things would have been different because I believe our D-personnel is more talented than the overall Saints personnel. But thanks to Williams scheme, they found ways to hammer Warner, Farve, and Manning whereas we couldn't. I think McCarthy's offensive mind is as good as Sean Payton though.

Anyway, congratulations New Orleans. I'm happy they finally got to feel a Championship! Next year, it's our turn down in Big D, over a revamped Steelers team.

princefielder28
02-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Payton coached one hell of a game and the fans of New Orleans are lucky to have him

Whistler6
02-08-2010, 03:50 PM
#12 is the losingest(13) number in Superbowl history. But it's also the winningest(11). Let's hope A-Rodge can add a couple W's in the right columns

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08031/853582-66.stm

This was posted prior to the Giants-Patriots game and is probably completely irrelevant, but it's still interesting.

Whistler6
02-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Saints Alive!
Them winning has to make the Vikings feel worse, as they really spanked the Saints around, IN New Orleans.

Also, last year, we wanted Greg Williams as our DC, and he wanted to get our gig. But his family preferred he stay in the south so he took the Saints job after Sean Payton ponied up more money to match us.

Dammit. Both of those guys could have been ours. Things would have been different because I believe our D-personnel is more talented than the overall Saints personnel. But thanks to Williams scheme, they found ways to hammer Warner, Farve, and Manning whereas we couldn't. I think McCarthy's offensive mind is as good as Sean Payton though.

Anyway, congratulations New Orleans. I'm happy they finally got to feel a Championship! Next year, it's our turn down in Big D, over a revamped Steelers team.

How do you know this?

JF4
02-08-2010, 03:57 PM
How do you know this?

I remember reading that Greg Williams was our first choice for DC and I think McCarthy offered the position to him but he declined.

Didn't know about this Sean Payton thing though.

princefielder28
02-08-2010, 03:59 PM
I remember reading that Greg Williams was our first choice for DC and I think McCarthy offered the position to him but he declined.

I am fairly certain that Payton wanted to be the Packers' coach but never got the offer so he went to the next best thing

RyanBraun8
02-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Payton was the HC I wanted but I have no problem with MM, as for Williams..... Saints got takeways but so did the Packers, maybe not as much but still good for 2nd in NFL i believe. As for a defense, the Saints were not good, The take a ways are the only reason to consider them and okay defense. That Viking game is like every game for them, they get turnovers but that is all they offer. Capers defense overall runs circles around Williams Saint defense and it was much more them them to transition to. Packers got the better man.

cvv84
02-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Saints Alive!

Well besides Payton we could've had Rod Marinelli, Dick Jauron, Gary Kubiak, Brad Childress, Eric Mangini, Art Shell, or Scott Linehan.

Hell why not keep continuing on and look at how we passed on Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, and Deion Sanders for you know who.

Hindsight.... Take it with a gain of salt.

J-Mike88
02-08-2010, 09:11 PM

TT can't be blamed at all for either guy. It is not TTs fault that Williams turned us down last year.
And McCarthy over Peyton..... except for the Super Bowl, I think our offense is just as good, or real close. Those two are both offensive masterminds it seems like. Very smart.

The difference in our fortunes so far is on the defensive side of the ball. They beat the teams we couldn't beat, because their defense played a lot better. That falls NOT on McCarthy or Payton's shoulders, but on Capers and Williams shoulders, and LIS, Thompson swung after Williams first, and offered more money. You have to give TT some credit for that. Plus Capers turned is into a great run defense right away. Now if he can upgrade the pass rush and pass coverage, we can win Super Bowls. Yes with an S.

umphrey
02-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Just want to throw this out there:

One thing I really notice is trends and people talk about TT and what he will or won't do based on the past. Just like every person smart enough to be a general manager he's not simple and he doesn't have a one track mind. He'll explore all options - draft, free agency, trades and execute when he thinks the benefits outweigh the costs.

Based on past trends, this is what I expect in the offseason:

Free agency! Expect us to be more involved than the last couple years and look closer at the cream of the crop. Playoff team and a franchise quarterback, cap room, and our last dip into free agency was Chillar 2 years ago. Expect us to be involved with some of the bigger names available. If we don't sign someone, then I'd expect contract extentions to get pushed through.

Trade back in the draft. We've always done it except for last year. We added 2 blue chip prospects but now we are back on the other side of the spectrum where we need to restock prospects. We need bodies on the offensive line and secondary badly and will probably look at some low risk/high reward prospects, particularly at OLB and RB in the mid/late rounds.

J-Mike88
02-09-2010, 09:14 AM
More news/info coming in on Julius Peppers. Besides NFL Network's Michael Lombardi's article about Ted Thompson needing to bring him in, I heard someone on ESPN Local radio down here in Dallas predict Peppers to the Packers. Can't remember if it was Rick Gosselin, or Randy Galloway...... but reading THIS, I don't see an chance he comes to Green Bay.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4899375&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_4899375

-- Julius Peppers no longer wants a long-term contract with Carolina Panthers, saying the Panthers have ignored him this offseason.

In an interview aired Tuesday morning on Charlotte radio station WFNZ-AM, the five-time Pro Bowl defensive end indicated he's irritated by the team's "silence" and has changed his stance on whether he wants to continue his career in Carolina.

"Last year, at the time, that was the option that I wanted most," Peppers said. "Now it's not."

Peppers bounced back with a career-high 14˝ sacks in 2008, then announced he wanted to play elsewhere and pleaded with the Panthers to let him leave in free agency. He said Tuesday he wanted out because he was upset with the team's direction under then-defensive coordinator Mike Trgovac.

The Panthers could use the franchise tag again in 2010, but it would include a 20 percent raise. Peppers would be due $20.1 million, plus another $1.5 million Pro Bowl bonus and $250,000 for each playoff victory.

Carolina could use the franchise tag again and try to trade Peppers, but Peppers would almost certainly first have to agree to a long-term deal with that team.

Several clubs, such as Philadelphia and New England, could be interested.

That BOLDED part probably eliminates us from being on his list.
I would say that would make his affection for Trgovac pretty low. Although he'd work with Greene and Capers with us, not really Trgovac.

TitleTown088
02-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Its not like it was ever a probability in the first place.

Boston
02-09-2010, 05:27 PM
More news/info coming in on Julius Peppers. Besides NFL Network's Michael Lombardi's article about Ted Thompson needing to bring him in, I heard someone on ESPN Local radio down here in Dallas predict Peppers to the Packers. Can't remember if it was Rick Gosselin, or Randy Galloway...... but reading THIS, I don't see an chance he comes to Green Bay.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4899375&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_4899375

That BOLDED part probably eliminates us from being on his list.
I would say that would make his affection for Trgovac pretty low. Although he'd work with Greene and Capers with us, not really Trgovac.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the fact that he would have broke the bank at a position he doesn't play probably eliminated us. I don't know why it took you this long to realize this...

cvv84
02-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the fact that he would have broke the bank at a position he doesn't play probably eliminated us. I don't know why it took you this long to realize this...

Back to the Cromartie gibberish...

neko4
02-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Haha, nic sig ^

J-Mike88
02-09-2010, 08:45 PM

#1- it's the off-season and nothing happens for certain... until it actually happens. all we have for 3 months are ideas and speculation. i know of a website where a year ago most of the dudes tried to dismiss any talk about us converting to a 3-4 defense. they thought that since they convinced each other it was a bad idea, that it actually must be a bad idea and hence would not happen. then reality bit them. and it happened.

#2- michael lombardi's article is what brought this up in the first place. he's on the nfl network and has worked in front offices of actual NFL teams, so he knows more than i do. or even some of you guys.

#3- even though we never got randy moss, the rumors about him early on were true, and it grew..... and there really was a deal to be made and the raiders thought they had one with us.....

#4- stranger things have happened. reggie white was never going to sign in the village of green bay, when he could just pick the 49ers or redskins or even cowboys. lessons learned.... you never say never.

RyanBraun8
02-09-2010, 09:42 PM
#1- it's the off-season and nothing happens for certain... until it actually happens. all we have for 3 months are ideas and speculation. i know of a website where a year ago most of the dudes tried to dismiss any talk about us converting to a 3-4 defense. they thought that since they convinced each other it was a bad idea, that it actually must be a bad idea and hence would not happen. then reality bit them. and it happened.

#2- michael lombardi's article is what brought this up in the first place. he's on the nfl network and has worked in front offices of actual NFL teams, so he knows more than i do. or even some of you guys.

#3- even though we never got randy moss, the rumors about him early on were true, and it grew..... and there really was a deal to be made and the raiders thought they had one with us.....

#4- stranger things have happened. reggie white was never going to sign in the village of green bay, when he could just pick the 49ers or redskins or even cowboys. lessons learned.... you never say never.

#1 Agreed, people get bored and throw out ideas, some actually catch, 90% don't. It is the exact same as sitting on here in September talking about the draft. We have no clue where anyone is going to go or draft but we do it anyways because it makes us feel like a GM. ha we are all guilty. We love football

#2 Matt Millen was President, CEO, and GM for the Lions for 8 years..enough said ha not all Front Office people have a clue. Plus no former front office analyst knows anymore than any one of us about what the Packers are going to do because only TT and his staff know and the rest is pure 100% speculation.

#3 Randy Moss plus Brett Favre in 2007 would have = a Super Bowl at the cost of a forth round pick. Instead TT got gun shy didn't pull the trigger, Patriots did and since he has been one of the most dominate WR in the NFL. TT's worst mistake....even worse than Harrell. Very sore subject and angers me as I type. That is the only time during the TT era that I was tempted to become a JSOnline TT hater...(I swear I lose more and more intellegence every time I read most of those idiots comments on the blogs....just ingnorant people)

#4 I was to young to really notice what was all going on when he signed with the Packers (like 6 or 7) but from what I've read it surprised a lot of people. The thing with Reggie is he wasn't a guy who needed to be in the spot light or a big city. He was a good man who didn't mind a place like GB. Guys like Peppers......they don't care about tradition, becoming a Wisconsin GOD (check CC Sabathia), or any of that. They want their money, front page news, everyone to turn on them for every tiny mistake and all that other glorious stuff they get for going to a big market team.

---Side note if the Cowboys do sign Peppers I would be 110% on board to try to trade for Anthony Spencer. The guy is coming into his own and could be that other guy opposite of Clay.

RyanBraun8
02-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Also if any of you post on JSOnline.... sorry and no offense, ha I like you guys. I'm talking more about the ones who every post has TT needs to die or just some other amazingly dumb comments. For the Brewers and Packers blog almost every other post is just absolutely horrendious and written by 12 year olds who have no clue about sports. Nothing they say has any substance at all and drives me nuts. ha

TitleTown088
02-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Reading the Jsonline posts ( and many of the articles for that matter) is a waste of time.

RyanBraun8
02-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Reading the Jsonline posts ( and many of the articles for that matter) is a waste of time.

Yes it is (but I for the most part articles beside I get mad when they put them in them in the PI) But for some reason after every blog I read i check them comments. I think it is curiousity or to see if they are getting smarter (nope they are a lost cause). You can actually make it a game, every day you see how far you can read before you mental can not take anymore.... It is usually after the first one lol

cuzifelt1ikeit
02-09-2010, 11:27 PM
whatever picks we would have to trade for peppers id feel alot better if we just packaged that and traded up to secure graham to be honest. peppers is in his prime dont get me wrong. but how much longer does he really have. id rather use the ammo and get someone younger and pay him considerably less money

J-Mike88
02-10-2010, 09:22 AM
whatever picks we would have to trade for peppers id feel alot better if we just packaged that and traded up to secure graham to be honest. peppers is in his prime dont get me wrong. but how much longer does he really have. id rather use the ammo and get someone younger and pay him considerably less money
True, but it's still totally up in the air what will happen with Peppers. Sure they'd like to get something for him and not just lose him like Tenneessee lost Haynesworth and San Diego lost Brees, but they might not. He might simply walk, who knows.

They might like Kampman.

As for Peppers, I agree he's a moody guy, but he's not a guy that demands the spotlight. He's not causing stirs tweeting or making rap songs or being in trouble with the law, etc. I think away from the field, he's a pretty calm, mature family guy which would fit in Green Bay. His personality reminds me a bit of Ryan Pickett/AJ Hawk.

And he's not old. He's got as many good years left as Woodson does, more than Driver, Clifton, Tauscher, Harris. I'd be 100% happy with Graham too, but adding a veteran who is ready and hungry for a Super Bowl would be perfect. But Peppers has to have that hunger for a ring, like Woodson and Driver do. I can't tell from afar if he does or not. If TT thinks he does, I bet he makes a play for him.

cuzifelt1ikeit
02-10-2010, 12:13 PM
True, but it's still totally up in the air what will happen with Peppers. Sure they'd like to get something for him and not just lose him like Tenneessee lost Haynesworth and San Diego lost Brees, but they might not. He might simply walk, who knows.

They might like Kampman.

As for Peppers, I agree he's a moody guy, but he's not a guy that demands the spotlight. He's not causing stirs tweeting or making rap songs or being in trouble with the law, etc. I think away from the field, he's a pretty calm, mature family guy which would fit in Green Bay. His personality reminds me a bit of Ryan Pickett/AJ Hawk.

And he's not old. He's got as many good years left as Woodson does, more than Driver, Clifton, Tauscher, Harris. I'd be 100% happy with Graham too, but adding a veteran who is ready and hungry for a Super Bowl would be perfect. But Peppers has to have that hunger for a ring, like Woodson and Driver do. I can't tell from afar if he does or not. If TT thinks he does, I bet he makes a play for him.

not saying i wouldnt want to add him just saying i would rather invest the picks and well under half the money in someone younger. if he walks from carolina itd be a different story.

RyanBraun8
02-10-2010, 04:59 PM
I see Peppers as a guy who cares more about fame and spotlight than being a humble small town guy but thats me. He is a guy who turned down a contract making him the richest defensive player in the league coming off a horrible 2.5 sack season. Not saying isn't a good guy but I doubt i'd ever find GB as a place for him to play

umphrey
02-10-2010, 06:09 PM
He won't come to Green Bay because we won't pay top dollar to a guy who plays a position that doesn't exist in our defense.

TitleTown088
02-10-2010, 06:55 PM
He won't come to Green Bay because we won't pay top dollar to a guy who plays a position that doesn't exist in our defense.

He won't come to Green Bay because the Packers don't want him to.

RyanBraun8
02-10-2010, 08:48 PM
I think it is officially time for us to move on from any Peppers talk because it is rather pointless. Unless it is about the Cowboys signing him and us trading our 2nd pick for Anthony Spencer who would no longer have a job in Dallas. :)

Won't happen but would be nice, the guy is really stepping up his game.

cvv84
02-10-2010, 08:50 PM
I think it is officially time for us to move on from any Peppers talk because it is rather pointless. Unless it is about the Cowboys signing him and us trading our 2nd pick for Anthony Spencer who would no longer have a job in Dallas. :)

Won't happen but would be nice, the guy is really stepping up his game.

From 1 pipe dream to another.

tjsunstein
02-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Peppers doesn't fit in Green Bay one bit. I don't think there's any interest on either side, yet alone mutual interest. Maybe it's just me but every bit of this Peppers to Green Bay talk is wishful thinking. I think he goes to a bigger market, Philadelphia comes to mind, that will pay him. Personally, I don't think we would pay him anywhere close to what he would be asking which would be 'highest paid defensive player' money to play another position.

J-Mike88
02-10-2010, 10:47 PM
When does FA start now with this CBA mess?
Who's gonna be the big ticket early signees?

Whistler6
02-10-2010, 11:14 PM
On this day in 1992 Brett Favre was traded from the Atlanta Falcons to the Green Bay Packers...Hindsight Atlanta management says, "ouch."

That joke hasn't been done to death or anything.

RyanBraun8
02-11-2010, 01:06 AM

Ha,yeah but mine isn't serious at all. Cowboys would be dumb as hell to part ways with him. The smily face was there to indicate that I was joking. Realistically we prob grab some OLB in the first 3 rounds of the draft. If it isn't until the 3rd i'd hope it would be Witten from UConn. His brother is actually Donte Whitner so athletic family except he has much more bulk and size. He looks good from what I've seen. May shot up into the 2nd with big combine.

TitleTown088
02-11-2010, 11:36 AM

Meh, stuff like that happens all the time.Just like TT is looking to trade Rodgers and Clay. ;)

ImBrotherCain
02-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Meh, stuff like that happens all the time.Just like TT is looking to trade Rodgers and Clay. ;)

I hear thats because TT realized he was wrong with Favre and wants to bring him back to Green Bay.

J-Mike88
02-11-2010, 03:58 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/11/pft-daily-the-panthers-peppers-predicament/

RyanBraun8
02-11-2010, 05:11 PM
I like Scotts mock for us....Graham in the 1st and Kyle Wilson in the 2nd. That would be pretty nice but man he has some real questionable picks. Tebow to the Pats in the first gave me a pretty nice laugh.

Hawk
02-11-2010, 05:38 PM
I did not know Chad Morton was a coach for us.

princefielder28
02-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Alex Brown wants to see Aaron Kampman in a Bears uniform next season...probably Aaron's best option if he wants to play in a 4-3, have a chance to win and stay close to where he lives.

umphrey
02-12-2010, 11:51 AM
If the Vikings taught me anything it's that I hate playing against any ex Packer. However I think Kampman might be regressing sooner than people think. He has played in a lot of games in his career with a style and approach to the game that is tough on a body. He'll play 1 season (maybe 2) without being fully recovered from the torn ACL and then he'll be 32.

princefielder28
02-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Joey Porter was released today. Would you guys want to see the Packers bring him in for a year?

TitleTown088
02-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Joey Porter was released today. Would you guys want to see the Packers bring him in for a year?

The guy is a idiot, but he would be a nice upgrade for the pass rush.

I'd be all for it. Probably take some of those double teams away from Matthews.

Much more realistic option than Peppers.

umphrey
02-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Are there no fans of Brad Jones here besides me? Unless there is a match-made-in-heaven player in FA or draft (Brandon Graham maybe) I want to see him play in 2010.

TitleTown088
02-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Are there no fans of Brad Jones here besides me? Unless there is a match-made-in-heaven player in FA or draft (Brandon Graham maybe) I want to see him play in 2010.

You mean, like Joey Porter? I like Brad, but you can never have too many pass rushers.

He won't officially be released until March FYI.

jackalope
02-12-2010, 06:05 PM

I'm right there with you. A lot of people seem ready to move on past Jones already, but I don't see why we need to go out of our way to replace a guy who flashed a lot of potential in half a season as a rookie. I would consider OT to be far and away our biggest need, with corner second.

RyanBraun8
02-12-2010, 06:23 PM

I wouldn't say I'm not a fan but didn't see enough in him to have him be are main option. He played okay, but didn't stand out as a difference maker. Most people including me on here think we need another difference maker opposite of Clay. Jones isn't a guy you need to game plan for or be worried about. For opposing teams it is a pretty easy choice who to attack, the stud playmaker Matthews or the guy who works hard but doesn't have the pure talent need to make an impact. He also needs to put on some bulk and add some strength. Not idea size and lacks the strength needed to go against DE's. You can't just run around them every play and open up lanes.

I wouldn't mind Joey if he keeps his mouth shut and just does his job. The prob is he still talks and acts like he is this great player when he hasn't backed it up the last few years.

J-Mike88
02-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Here's the thing:
We're expecting to begin 2010 with Tauscher and Clifton back at OT.
With them in there, are statistics/offense were phenomenal. So the offense should roll in 2010.

On the other side, we lost games, got embarassed because our pass defense sucked. Four times we made QB's look like God out there, including our exit in Arizona. So that has to be fixed first & foremost and that's obvious to everybody.
Some say our CB's/S's need upgrading worse, others say our it begins with the pass rush. I'm totally on the side of the pass rush. I've seen a lot of average D-backfields camoflauged by big pass rushes.

I do like Brad Jones, and was very excited when we drafted him and he got to play. I also hold out hope for Cyril Obiozor.

But whatever the case may be there at LOLB, we need to make QBs feel the heat from that side, so offenses can't just start to chip away at Clay and double him up, giving QBs all day back there.

RyanBraun8
02-12-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm right there with you. A lot of people seem ready to move on past Jones already, but I don't see why we need to go out of our way to replace a guy who flashed a lot of potential in half a season as a rookie. I would consider OT to be far and away our biggest need, with corner second.

Even if Jones is the starter we still have just as little depth at OLB as we do Corner but at least at CB we have 3 guys who are good players and proven it. Woodson, Harris, and Williams. OLB we have Clay Matthews who is a stud then we have a bunch of unproven guys.

CB
Woodson- Incredible
Harris- serious injury but if 100% still one of the most hated corners by WR's. Dion listed him him Champ Bailey as the top CB's of the decade for a reason. People hate on him but there is not one WR who enjoys being matched against him. Way to physical for them.
Williams- I think he is a legit NFL #2 CB. No complaints.
Underwood- I think he has a lot of potential and hope to see him show it this season.
Lee - 2nd round pick that many people really like out of Auburn. Has been injuried first two years but if healthy could be good.
Blackmon Great returner, doesn't offer much in coverage
Bush .....................

is no worse than

OLB
Matthews Jr.- Proved himself more than enough
Jones- Showed Flashes but not enough to believe he is the answer
Thompson- Injuried hasn't shown anything in the very small sample to stand out.
Poppinga- Played considerable less than in the past and team seems to show they have no more interest in him for the new scheme. (Funny because coming out of College he was a DE and 3-4 OLB prospect)
Obiozor- Team liked him in camp and maybe he could blossom like Harrison as a UDFA.

At least at CB the concern is on health, at OLB it is about talent.

umphrey
02-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Cf5mlpYlxb0

On Al Harris's knee injury:

Trainer: "probably one of the worst knee injuries I've seen in my 20 years experience"

Harris: "I blew out my ACL, LCL, IT band, little hamstring, pretty much just tore up the whole lateral side of my knee"

I don't think he'll come back from this at his age (35-36). Too bad, he's a good person and he's done a lot for us, but I think the ride's over.

cvv84
02-13-2010, 06:03 PM
I don't think he'll come back from this at his age (35-36). Too bad, he's a good person and he's done a lot for us, but I think the ride's over.

I saw somewhere that the Packers asked him to push back his bonus due date. Harris just isn't going to be the same player even when healthy though. We need to start developing guys ASAP.

J-Mike88
02-14-2010, 03:43 PM
That sucks. Harris & Kampman in the same game, at home.
Versus the 49ers. Just like Robert Brooks in 1996. At home. Versus the Niners.
But that year we went on to win the Super Bowl.

badgerbacker
02-14-2010, 04:09 PM
That sucks. Harris & Kampman in the same game, at home.
Versus the 49ers. Just like Robert Brooks in 1996. At home. Versus the Niners.
But that year we went on to win the Super Bowl.

Maybe we can sign Andre Rison to play CB?

J-Mike88
02-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Maybe we can sign Andre Rison to play CB?Thinking outside the box! I like that. So does Sean Payton.

janisch
02-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Rodgers is a savage! in case nobody knew this

Hawk
02-15-2010, 04:22 PM
http://www.parade.com/export/sites/default/images/-v4/news/slideshows/all-america-2009/top-50/andre-rison.jpg

Did someone mention me?

tjsunstein
02-17-2010, 11:38 AM
3. Green Bay Packers - The Packers will get help at tackle, another year in 3-4 defense will aid their cause as well. Quarterback Aaron Rogers is Super Bowl ready.

Are you kidding?!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81666dbf&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

umphrey
02-17-2010, 11:42 AM
We are a franchise offensive tackle and 1-2 DBs (not even starters, necessarily) away from legit contenders.

If we get a LT our line looks pretty solid with LT, C, RG all set, Lang in at LG or RT. That's every position except LG accounted for before we even bring Clifton and Tauscher into the mix, we can let my least favorite lineman Daryn Colledge walk, and resign Spitz to play LG or C.

My ideal line for 2010:
LT: Bryan Buluga/Chad Clifton (as 1, 2)
LG: Free Agent/Lang, Spitz
C: Wells, Spitz
RG: Sitton, Barbre
RT: Tauscher/Lang (as 1, 2)

RyanBraun8
02-17-2010, 02:55 PM
We are a franchise offensive tackle and 1-2 DBs (not even starters, necessarily) away from legit contenders.

If we get a LT our line looks pretty solid with LT, C, RG all set, Lang in at LG or RT. That's every position except LG accounted for before we even bring Clifton and Tauscher into the mix, we can let my least favorite lineman Daryn Colledge walk, and resign Spitz to play LG or C.

My ideal line for 2010:
LT: Bryan Buluga/Chad Clifton (as 1, 2)
LG: Free Agent/Lang, Spitz
C: Wells, Spitz
RG: Sitton, Barbre
RT: Tauscher/Lang (as 1, 2)

If we went with that the two major differences I have would be Clifton needs to start if you sign him....why throw a rookie straight into the line of fire when you have a guy who has been the starter there for the last 10 years? Makes no sense not to bridge him.

Spitz is by far better at center than Wells and is actually a very good guard....If healthy you can't keep him on the bench behind a lesser center and a crappy FA pick up (all the best ones like Evans are now going to be RFA so market is aweful) Lang would be every suitable at LG also.

johbur
02-17-2010, 11:07 PM

You missed my sig when Jones was drafted! Brad Jones is a heck of a player. I love guys like him and Tauscher that have a lot to prove and work evil hard on being the best they can be. I'd take Brad Jones over broken, worthless players like Harrell anyday!

Mr.Regular
02-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Annual check of where everyone stands on the season ticket waiting list..... 77456!

princefielder28
02-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Annual check of where everyone stands on the season ticket waiting list..... 77456!

don't have to wait :)

just need to get done with college so my mom can sign at least one over to me

roidrunner
02-20-2010, 02:14 AM
is there somewhere online that i can sign up for tickets?

TitleTown088
02-20-2010, 02:26 AM

How do you check where you're at?

RyanBraun8
02-20-2010, 11:44 AM
I haven't got the thing in the mail yet but I am sure after 22 years (as soon as I was born) I still haven't made much progress. Season tickets are bullsh**, ha I prob will be 80 before I get them because you can just pass them on to your family members so not a very large turnover rate.

RyanBraun8
02-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Hey did any of you know about Raji's young brother Corey? He is a junior on the BC basketball team and guy is a stud! He is 6'6 218 and I think if he can't make the NBA he should give football a go. He can jump out of the gym. He puts up 11pts 6 boards a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Rb3dnPkwk

lol it's night and day between BJ and him.

cvv84
02-20-2010, 08:01 PM
How do you check where you're at?

Usually they send you something in the mail annually.

is there somewhere online that i can sign up for tickets?

Right here. (http://www.packers.com/tickets/season_tickets/)

But more than likely it will be your kids, kids, kids, kids who might get them.

TitleTown088
02-20-2010, 08:53 PM
But more than likely it will be your kids, kids, kids, kids who might get them.

I'm kinda upset my old man didn't sign me up when I was first born.

J-Mike88
02-20-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm kinda upset my old man didn't sign me up when I was first born.

Me too. I am in the 30 or 40,000 range, which means NEVER in my lifetime will they get to me. Unless they add 40,000 seats, which they should have done when they did the big renovations last decade. If it was physicaly possible.

TitleTown088
02-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Me too. I am in the 30 or 40,000 range, which means NEVER in my lifetime will they get to me. Unless they add 40,000 seats, which they should have done when they did the big renovations last decade. If it was physicaly possible.

I'm not implying this means more seats, but I've read that the Packers have long term plans to keep expanding Lambeau every 5-10 years. They have been been putting away money and buying up nearby properites to keep expanding from what I remember. Anyone else heard anything about this?

Mr.Regular
02-21-2010, 12:11 AM
I checked by just calling and asking the ticket office. I never got my letter this year for whatever reason, so I was curious as to my standing. Im inching my way up the seventy thousands.

cvv84
02-21-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm not implying this means more seats, but I've read that the Packers have long term plans to keep expanding Lambeau every 5-10 years. They have been been putting away money and buying up nearby properites to keep expanding from what I remember. Anyone else heard anything about this?

They've been buying up land around Lambeau for years. Mostly its for future parking. I have a hard time believing that they can keep expanding the stadium in that time frame. The complexity of the contruction of adding seats just doesn't make logistical sense. They'd basically have to build a new ring of skyboxes then take down the old ones to add more general seating. Then they'd have to tie all that in with the atrium, move the press box, and deal with a big construction project for a few seasons.

If this were the case wouldn't we just have been better off building a new 85-95k seat stadium?

TitleTown088
02-22-2010, 11:39 AM
They've been buying up land around Lambeau for years. Mostly its for future parking. I have a hard time believing that they can keep expanding the stadium in that time frame. The complexity of the contruction of adding seats just doesn't make logistical sense. They'd basically have to build a new ring of skyboxes then take down the old ones to add more general seating. Then they'd have to tie all that in with the atrium, move the press box, and deal with a big construction project for a few seasons.

If this were the case wouldn't we just have been better off building a new 85-95k seat stadium?

I don't mean expand the stadium itself, as you can see from my first line in that quote. ;) I may have been misleading when I said " Lambeau" I mean more Lambeau and everything that surrounds it.

Rather upgrading the stadiums surrounding around the field. New buildings, facilities, parking ect. The new Clarke Hinkle Field for example.

The time frame was also more of a guess.

Then again this is only what I've read, you fortunate ones who live in or around Green Bay probably know more about it than me.

J-Mike88
02-22-2010, 01:17 PM
It seems like in here, there are more people who are not for getting Julius Peppers. Other places I go, it's slightly more for Peppers than not for him.

Here's another interesting article on Peppers.
He's like Charles Wodson was 4 years ago: Cleary Talented as heck. But moody, didn't show passion for the game anymore, was inconsistent, was a problem in the locker room for some teammates (Farve too) but nobody could deny the unreal natural talent & skills.
Actually, Woodson had done less recently than Peppers has. And Woodson was always missing time with injuries, was considered injury-prone and broken down. Both were top 5 draft picks and were always special special athletes.
Well, "Green Bay" rejuvinated Woodson even though nobody else wanted him. It's interesting that the other teams mentioned below as interested (rumor) in Peppers are all great teams, or at least very good teams who are missing one piece to get over the top.

Aaron Wilson, The National Football Post
Feb 21, 1:50 pm EST

Without a doubt, Carolina Panthers star defensive end Julius Peppers(notes) is regarded as the top prize available in a thin free agent market.

He’s a big, strong, fast, gifted and accomplished pass rusher.

There are also questions, though, about whether Peppers has a passion for the game and if he would be a strong fit for a franchise like the New England Patriots.

“I wouldn’t touch him, for that money and what he gives you,’’ a former Panthers personnel official told the Boston Globe. “On the field, he’s a freak athletically, but it’s whether he shows up or not. He’ll go two and three games and do nothing but take up space. Then he’ll have two sacks, a forced fumble, a pick, and change the game. And that’s the danger. He can mesmerize you, but it’s not consistent.’’

Another AFC scout raised the question about whether signing Peppers to a blockbuster contract will have negative effects on job security.

“He could end up costing some personnel guy his job,’’ the scout told the Globe. “I’m terrified of him. In my heart of hearts, I believe that if you pay this guy, I don’t think you’ll see a double-digit sack [season] again the rest of his career.’’

Besides the personnel guys questioning Peppers’ attitude, former Panthers defensive tackle Brentson Buckner has his doubts, too.

“Football’s come so easy to him,’’ Buckner said. “Does he love it the way Steve Smith or Bryant Young(notes) or Jerry Rice(notes) love it? I don’t think so. But he’s got so much God-given ability that, even without loving it, he’s a five-time Pro Bowler and three-time All-Pro with 81 sacks in eight years. You do think, ‘Man, a guy with that much ability, imagine if he did love it.’"

It’s an intriguing question, and millions of dollars are at stake on this one.

Besides the Patriots, the Philadelphia Eagles and the Green Bay Packers are other rumored potential landing spots for Peppers.

And the Washington Redskins always seem to kick the tires on any high-priced talent.

TitleTown088
02-22-2010, 01:25 PM
It seems like in here, there are more people who are not for getting Julius Peppers. Other places I go, it's slightly more for Peppers than not for him.
That's probably because most other places are full of homers who have no idea how free agency, the draft, and the salary cap ( ya I realize it may not be there for a year or so) work.

umphrey
02-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Derrick Martin signed a 2 year deal, numbers undisclosed. Lets sign our other RFA safety though.
I like Martin I guess but I want to bring in a safety prospect as well. It's probably good we have a veteran (5th year) guy on the roster if that's what we do. The article inferred he might be our nickel back - he came into the league as a corner and switched in 09 - but I'm pretty sure that's what his agent said. What any agent would say trying to inflate his value.

cvv84
02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
That's probably because most other places are full of homers who have no idea how free agency, the draft, and the salary cap ( ya I realize it may not be there for a year or so) work.

Not too mention we're realistic.

Derrick Martin signed a 2 year deal, numbers undisclosed. Lets sign our other RFA safety though.
I like Martin I guess but I want to bring in a safety prospect as well. It's probably good we have a veteran (5th year) guy on the roster if that's what we do. The article inferred he might be our nickel back - he came into the league as a corner and switched in 09 - but I'm pretty sure that's what his agent said. What any agent would say trying to inflate his value.

Interesting. Martin was a RFA though. He's a good special teamer but this has to really sting Nick Collins.

TitleTown088
02-22-2010, 08:18 PM
I doubt Collins will get too worked up about it. He has to know that Martin is a back up guy and contacts like his and Pickett are more complex to work out.

umphrey
02-22-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm pretty sure Collins is getting a contract. Thompson hand selected him, he turned into a premier player, it wouldn't make any sense to let him walk. In these situations the only time you don't see an extension is when:
-The player has made it known that he doesn't want to play for that team/city/coach/whatever
-The player wants a boatload of cash
-The team has to make budget cuts
-There happens to be someone else on the roster that is so good management wants to go with him instead
-There is a new coach/GM/scheme and management wants to look for a different type of player

None of these apply. There might be an argument for new scheme (3-4 defense) but that wouldn't make sense because Collins was a pro bowl safety in the new defense, he fits well in it, and safeties should be more important to us now.

So, I will flip a s*** if we let him get away or if we piss him off enough to make him walk.
But I don't think we will.

RyanBraun8
02-22-2010, 10:01 PM

Yeah, there is no reason what so ever to even consider Peppers. Financially it would be a god aweful decison. Commiting for at least 5 years at 20 million a season in a market like GB..... With it looking like the NFL may have screwed the pouch on the CBA (sources have said if it doesn't get done, a salary cap may never come back)Packers in no way, shape, or form can be careless with their money. We don't have an owner who can just open up his check book and spend, we are publically owned.

As being a part owner of the Green Bay Packers I personally would be very pissed at Mark Murphy if he allowed that signing to happen. For 15-20 million less a season you can draft Brandon Graham, Everson Griffen, Ricky Sapp, or another OLB prospect or they could stick with Brad Jones. What would be the better business decision?

In Madden or a fantasy world it would be great to sign Peppers but in reality it is dumb and irresponible. You can get a lot done with that extra 15-20 mil a year.... like signing Prickett, Collins, Clifton and so on.

As for if there is a reporter/sport analyst claiming that the Packers are a contender or they are going to pursue him, that is pure 100% speculation. TT is one of the most secretive GM's. The closet you will get to finding out who he is looking at is a "we look at everything or we consider all options" Any one of us could say the Packers want this guy or to trade for that guy and have just as much creditability. Those few words that TT says though can really get people going (Vick last season)

umphrey
02-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Lots of people think it through this far:
Julius Peppers ! = Reggie White !!!!! = Superbowl !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately the 4-3 DE doesn't exist on this team anymore. That's plenty reason to pass before even getting into the financial aspect.

RyanBraun8
02-22-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm pretty sure Collins is getting a contract. Thompson hand selected him, he turned into a premier player, it wouldn't make any sense to let him walk. In these situations the only time you don't see an extension is when:
-The player has made it known that he doesn't want to play for that team/city/coach/whatever
-The player wants a boatload of cash
-The team has to make budget cuts
-There happens to be someone else on the roster that is so good management wants to go with him instead
-There is a new coach/GM/scheme and management wants to look for a different type of player

None of these apply. There might be an argument for new scheme (3-4 defense) but that wouldn't make sense because Collins was a pro bowl safety in the new defense, he fits well in it, and safeties should be more important to us now.

So, I will flip a s*** if we let him get away or if we piss him off enough to make him walk.
But I don't think we will.

Good post, I agree. It don't get why he hasn't been a top priority. Saftey probably has the worst depth of any Packer postion (we have Collins and Bigby can't stay healthy, thats it) I know he is a RFA and with the uncapped year it is a little shady making long-term deals but Collins is a core member of the team and is a guy you want to keep happy. TT's whole deal is developing a core and keeping it in place. He doesn't throw away money in FA for that reason. I think he was much more important than Chillar to lock up. I consider Jennings and Collins equal and Jennings got a deal (Jennings has a year less of experience) TT is really pushing Collins under a rug right now

jackalope
02-22-2010, 10:43 PM
There seems to be a common conception that when one player is in contract talks, that means he's the only one. I would guess that getting a deal done with Derrick Martin is fairly small potatoes for the front office. Collins not having signed doesn't mean they haven't been discussing one every day. Also, keep in mind that if a long term deal isn't worked out, they'll be able to tender him and continue to work on one. It's hard to imagine him actually leaving.

BTW, RyanBraun8, it's Ryan Pickett, not Prickett.

wicket
02-23-2010, 03:21 PM
still need a Packers GM for a forum mock thing:

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38839

post here to join

Splat
02-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Packers expected to tag Pickett (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/23/packers-expected-to-tag-pickett/)

TitleTown088
02-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Packers expected to tag Pickett (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/23/packers-expected-to-tag-pickett/)

Too bad for you! ;)

jackalope
02-23-2010, 06:10 PM
I'd been hoping we could get a contract done with Pickett, but I have no problem tagging him.

umphrey
02-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Might be a better situation with Raji anyway

cvv84
02-23-2010, 07:34 PM
There seems to be a common conception that when one player is in contract talks, that means he's the only one. I would guess that getting a deal done with Derrick Martin is fairly small potatoes for the front office. Collins not having signed doesn't mean they haven't been discussing one every day. Also, keep in mind that if a long term deal isn't worked out, they'll be able to tender him and continue to work on one. It's hard to imagine him actually leaving.

BTW, RyanBraun8, it's Ryan Pickett, not Prickett.

Collins has publically stated that he/his agent has not been contacted reguarding a contract extention.

Hmmmm who called that one?

GB12
02-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Hmmmm who called that one?

Um, everyone?

PACKmanN
02-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Just because Woodson's career improved when he got here doesn't mean the same will happen to Peppers. Robinson's career didn't improve when we signed him, and there may be other guys as well.

Whistler6
02-24-2010, 02:06 PM
With Westbrook, Peppers, Dunta Robinson, Karlos Dansby, and all these other big names being on the market...Does Green Bay make any sort of free agent splash offseason?

A healthy Brian Westbrook would do wonders for the Pack's offense, but I highly doubt TT would make that move. Pipe dream's I suppose.

RyanBraun8
02-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Robinson would be a good pick up and fill a big void and I would have no complaints about Westbrook at a cheap price.

TitleTown088
02-24-2010, 04:23 PM
A healthy Brian Westbrook would do wonders for the Pack's offense, but I highly doubt TT would make that move. Pipe dream's I suppose.
A healthy Brian Westbrook is something of the past. I'd rather find a RB in the draft.

GB12
02-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Pickett officially tagged.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/85249877.html

umphrey
02-24-2010, 06:35 PM
With Westbrook, Peppers, Dunta Robinson, Karlos Dansby, and all these other big names being on the market...Does Green Bay make any sort of free agent splash offseason?

I didn't know Dunta Robinson was available. He would be worth a look. He's kind of an air head though so I don't know if I'd want him long term.

Whistler6
02-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Brett Favre to visit Leno on March 4th.

princefielder28
02-24-2010, 09:23 PM

just saw that...it'll be like the Joe Buck thing last year...lot of hype, no answers

J-Mike88
02-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Wait, I thought good ole Brett was just a low-key, not interested in the limelight type of "aw shucks", "golly" private kinda guy.

Why the Leno show?
Is he retiring again?

Mr.Regular
02-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Now I have 2 reasons not to watch Leno.

UK_Cheesehead
02-25-2010, 01:45 PM
You know how you guys were on about the season ticket list (one hell of a list btw!)

Is it easy to get tickets for a one off game?

Like soon I want to visit the states and do a bit of travelling and hope to include a trip to see a Packers game. Are there many packages out there for people who don't really know the area and whatnot?

Thanks for any help. :)

mqtirishfan
02-25-2010, 03:12 PM
You know how you guys were on about the season ticket list (one hell of a list btw!)

Like soon I want to visit the states and do a bit of travelling and hope to include a trip to see a Packers game. Are there many packages out there for people who don't really know the area and whatnot?

There isn't a single NFL game that you'd be unable to find tickets to. It's just about how much you're willing to pay.

RyanBraun8
02-25-2010, 04:45 PM
if we are back on tickets I just found out I am only 2,000 away! When we got on the list 22 years ago the wait list was only in the 11,000s, so in 20 years the list only moved very much

RyanBraun8
02-25-2010, 04:58 PM

Yeah tickets are not very easy to get unless your willing to spend. I personally usually have to buy mine from a family friend to get them a a reasonable price. I think tickets usually come in 2's also (correct me if I am wrong)

UK_Cheesehead if you don't mind me asking, what is your take on American football in the UK? Whenever I read on it I get really mixed reviews and my sports and rec professor who travels and teaches in the UK a lot has said he doesn't believe it is growing that much.. Do you think having a NFL Franchise in London would ever really work out? It seems like Goodell is trying

TitleTown088
02-25-2010, 05:26 PM
What the heck happened to that other English packer fan, Yatta!?

umphrey
02-25-2010, 05:45 PM
if we are back on tickets I just found out I am only 2,000 away! When we got on the list 22 years ago the wait list was only in the 11,000s, so in 20 years the list only moved very much

At that rate 5 years away. I would be really pumped if I had Packer season tickets coming in just 5 years.

If they keep going at the same rate (about 400/year) anyone above 30,000 on the list won't be alive for them.

UK_Cheesehead
02-26-2010, 06:12 AM
Yeah tickets are not very easy to get unless your willing to spend. I personally usually have to buy mine from a family friend to get them a a reasonable price. I think tickets usually come in 2's also (correct me if I am wrong)

UK_Cheesehead if you don't mind me asking, what is your take on American football in the UK? Whenever I read on it I get really mixed reviews and my sports and rec professor who travels and teaches in the UK a lot has said he doesn't believe it is growing that much.. Do you think having a NFL Franchise in London would ever really work out? It seems like Goodell is trying

If I was going to do a trip to the states I might aswell pay whatever's needed to get the tickets. Unless I move out there, I might not get many more chances to do it again so I'd probably pay whatever I had to provided it wasn't blatant robbery haha. 2 wouldn't be a problem, it's a while off but I know I will have a few people who would come with me.

I think there is a strong core of fans, and it's growing slowly but not at the speed Goodell (imo) thinks it is. We have a thing called a British American Football League and there's over 80 teams in that, with good squad size and some people coming to watch, so there is a strong following. There's also more air time on terestrial tv over here but Sky (your cable?) have been fantastic since I've been watching. Between them and channel 5 (terestrial again) they have the Thursday night game, 3 Sunday games and the MNF game. So there's plenty to watch and like I say, I think there is a good core of fans and I'd rank the sport at around 4/5 with following in the UK. It will never be as big as soccer, cricket or rugby imo but it can get close to the amount of fans rugby has hopefully. A franchise in London would never work and personally wouldn't want it. I'd hate the thought of a team in the states being in the Premier League (no offence!), I know everytime we get one of your games it's a 90k sellout but that's because 50% of them are daytrippers who would like to see a live game just to say they've seen one, 30% are probably corporate ***** stuck up their own arse who couldn't tell you what a first down is, so that leaves 20% who love the game. I'm not sure how the schedule would work out, I imagine for the first 8/9 home games there would be good numbers, pretty much sellouts, but you have to look beyond that, after a couple of years the novelty factor wears off and if the team is garbage (which could easily happen) the only people who will travel will be the die-hard fans, someone who has a passing interest in the game is not going to travel from say scotland down to london on a Sunday if the team is rubbish and they could watch it on TV here.

So personally I wouldn't agree with it and I'd still support the Packers even if London does get a franchise. I like the NFL the way it is and see no reason to change that, it's growing slowly but if you brought a franchise over here and it flopped, the whole perception of the game for the people who are slowly getting into it would be ruined and we're back to square one.

But sports is ruined by money, so if having a franchise in London/whatever other city outside the US creates millions and millions more for the NFL I guess it will happen.

umphrey
02-26-2010, 10:13 AM
It will never be as big as soccer, cricket or rugby imo but it can get close to the amount of fans rugby has hopefully.

A land where cricket is more popular than football...is that where unicorns come from?

UK_Cheesehead
02-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Haha but it's like me not seeing what's so great about Baseball yet I'd say that's number 4 in the followings in the states?

And a day out at the cricket is a fantastic piss up. It's one of my favourite sports.

princefielder28
02-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Haha but it's like me not seeing what's so great about Baseball yet I'd say that's number 4 in the followings in the states?

And a day out at the cricket is a fantastic piss up. It's one of my favourite sports.

Baseball is #2 in the US behind football. The NBA has such a poor product in so many of the markets that it just doesn't get the following unless one of the stars is rolling into town.

Boston
02-26-2010, 12:44 PM
I never really understood the appeal of Cricket...

UK_Cheesehead
02-26-2010, 01:33 PM
My bad about thinking it was #4, my ignorance just assumed NBA/NHL was above it.

I know what you mean Boston, I mean there's alot of people in England who don't see what's so great about it. Test cricket is very difficult to watch, but ODI's and T20 can be great entertainment to watch, and like I say, no matter what sort of game you always guaranteed a good drinking session.

It's each to their own I guess.

It'd be boring if everyone liked the same sports, same team etc. etc.

RyanBraun8
02-26-2010, 06:51 PM
America and Canada(part of Canada at least) are really the only countries that were once ruled by the English that don't accept cricket (also rugby) as a major sport. In countries like India and the Caribbean cricket is life and in places like Austrailia, South Africa, New Zealand, cricket and rugby are life.

Most countries don't understand the appeal of American football....ha it's a bunch a little girls playing rugby with pads on.

I don't really understand why Goodell is pressing so hard to expand to England which is maybe the hardest country to expand to (it is like expanding cricket back into the American Culture over baseball). He cancelled NFL Europe which was dumb. If anything you open up the NFL internationally like basketball using the NFL Europe. They have leagues like the CEFL and others also each country like Gemany, Italy, France, Austria, Finland and etc have their own independ leagues. You use the NFL Europe as the priemer league. You bring the top young talent from all these other leagues and you open them up to being possibly drafted. That is what I'd do if I was Goodell and really wanted to expand. But won't happen.

roidrunner
02-27-2010, 11:04 AM
OF all the countries in the World outside of america, i think germany would be the one that would most likely accept the NFL. I mean by the end of NFL Europe all the teams had moved to germany but like 3. The people of germany love American Football. I think trying to go to England is a bad idea cause well lets face it they have a form of american football in Rugby. Germany on the other hand has nothing.

cvv84
02-27-2010, 12:52 PM
A few random thoughts:

Sounds like the Packers and Nick Collins are working towards an extention. Its well deserved but I'd also like to see a little more out of Nick in terms of better tackling and keeping himself healthy. Its a violent position to play and he plays hurt all the time but imagine what he could do at 100% health.

I read that the Packers were looking at offering Kampman a deal averaging $5 million per season. I like Kampman but I don't like him that much. Considering that he struggled a bit in the new defense and is coming off a torn ACL this feels like a couresty contract. Kind of like when we offered Ahman Green a nice sized deal which luckily the Texans offered more.

Free agent wise I don't see the Packers making any big moves. Dunta Robinson is a bit intriging but he's going to get overpaid and has steadily regressed since his rookie season.

Willie Parker could be that speed compliment to Ryan Grant that we've been lacking. It would have to be at the right price though and there could be teams like the Texans, Seahawks, Eagles, and/or Redskins to contend with.

This draft is going to be key for us. We're close to being an anual competitive team so I'd love to see TT take some initiative and move accordingly to grab a key player that he thinks can be a difference maker for us. Be it an OT or OLB or whomever.

GB12
02-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Willie Parker could be that speed compliment to Ryan Grant that we've been lacking. It would have to be at the right price though and there could be teams like the Texans, Seahawks, Eagles, and/or Redskins to contend with.
No he couldn't. Willie Parker is done. He doesn't have that top speed anymore either. If we're going to sign a washed up running back I'd much rather have Westbrook or Tomlinson, but the draft is a better option than any of them.

cvv84
02-27-2010, 01:24 PM
No he couldn't. Willie Parker is done. He doesn't have that top speed anymore either. If we're going to sign a washed up running back I'd much rather have Westbrook or Tomlinson, but the draft is a better option than any of them.

Thanks Mr. NFL GM. :rolleyes:

princefielder28
02-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks Mr. NFL GM. :rolleyes:

You've been a big fan of the rolling eyes lately.

Willie Parker is done though, especially as a speed back. If we want to have a speed compliment with Grant the draft is definitely the better option because the player will be fresher, have more potential and be cheaper than Willie.

RyanBraun8
02-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Yeah its hard to spend on a guy like Willie who hasn't been healthy to be our "Special back" LT I heard will end up back home with the Texans which would be good because it gives Slaton the chance to go to part and just slash which he is good at....Slaton was not good as the lone feature back.

Westbrook, I heard some stuff that he may retire because of the concussions. It may sound crazy to a lot of people but as a person has personally gone through a bunch (I have had around 11, few minor, 2-3, major ones) I think it is okay because they will haunt him the rest of his life.Football isn't life, if he feels he wants to live a long healthy life and not forget who his own children are some day.... retire now. After you had one it is like dominos and you will get more and more and more. It IS a serious issue that many old players now have to deal with and it is a shame. I was going to play in he Ironman Semi-Pro league but decided it isn't worth taking another shot to the head and destroying my future with my daughter and someday her children. Concussions will mess you up for life!

Best bet is to draft a guy. So Prince and GB 12 are right and you don't need to be a GM to see that. The life span for a RB is not very long, it sucks because I wish guys like Edge James and McAllister could play for a long time but it doesn't work that way anymore. If it was baseball a minor league deal (risk free signing) is all I would give Willie.

As for the international thing I agree Germany is big time into the game also Italy and Finland have really accepted it and love American Football. In England it will never ever top soccer, cricket, or rugby. It is a lost cause, they are set in their ways. Those games have been in play for almost 200 years or more and they live for them. Goodell, quit pressing!

cvv84
02-27-2010, 06:41 PM
How many 4.4 RBs are in the draft? Obviously Grant will get the lions share of carries and Jackson has turned into a descent 3rd down RB. Its not like Parker would be getting 100+ carries and I said if he'd sign for the right price. Man talk about turning a mole hill into a mountain...

RockJock07
02-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Trendon Holiday would be great for KR/PR/3rd RB. He's probably going to be a 6th rounder, maybe a 5th but his speed is undeniable and he would bring another dimension to the Packers. Regardless of who, the packers need to upgrade their special teams across the board.

RyanBraun8
02-27-2010, 08:24 PM
How many 4.4 RBs are in the draft? Obviously Grant will get the lions share of carries and Jackson has turned into a descent 3rd down RB. Its not like Parker would be getting 100+ carries and I said if he'd sign for the right price. Man talk about turning a mole hill into a mountain...

Any evidence that Willie Parker still has 4.4 speed? He hasn't proved on the field over the last 2 years, hes has been a broken down train. And we will find out 2morrow how many RB's have 4.4 speed

J-Mike88
02-27-2010, 09:51 PM
If Ted wants a veteran presence at RB, it will probably be Ahman Green again.
If they want a speedster, it will probably be a rookie.

roidrunner
02-27-2010, 09:53 PM
i have a feeling that a RB would be the pick in round 3. We are going to wait and see who is going to drop out of round two. cause there seems to be alot of RB's who are in the round 2 area.

cvv84
02-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Any evidence that Willie Parker still has 4.4 speed? He hasn't proved on the field over the last 2 years, hes has been a broken down train. And we will find out 2morrow how many RB's have 4.4 speed

He's been injured the past 2 seasons. Do you really think that Grant/Jackson are faster than Parker?

RyanBraun8
02-28-2010, 12:44 PM
IDK it has been to long to even tell... Parker could be running a 4.6 now for all I know. If he still was a burner you would think the Steelers would kinda want him around. I mean if we get a cheap, risk free contract for him then okay worth a shot. I rather buy a new car that will run for awhile instead of go to the used car lot and buy a clunker that may not run to well anymore... thats me, I'm not a GM and personally haven't seen Parker run lately, well or in the last 2 season so who knows. Speed doesn't last forever

Jim Jim
02-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Justin Harrell is recovering. Will this be the year he finally makes a good contribution to the team?

Probably not.

RyanBraun8
02-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Justin Harrell is recovering. Will this be the year he finally makes a good contribution to the team?

Probably not.

could only hope but it will be hard and he will need to fight to get into the rotation. With the steady rotation with Jolly, Jenkins, Raji and Wynn and Talley being two guys who are going to be getting better, it is not going to be easy for Harrell.

princefielder28
02-28-2010, 03:51 PM

Probably not.

I think we need to ask if he'll make it through camp healthy and then go from there.

I was never a fan of the pick, but I almost feel sorry for him now; with all the problems he's had and given all the hard work to get back healthy, he hasn't been able to find the field at all.

umphrey
02-28-2010, 04:19 PM
It's been so long since he's even been able to practice or play...even if he was completely healthy all year he would be very rusty from all that time off.

Whistler6
02-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Isn't he suffering from a lingering back injury? That's the most alarming part of it. He simply cannot be an effective DT without a healthy back. That is one injury that affects every movement he makes.

Like going into a movie with really low expectations and leaving pleasantly surprised, I am hoping Harrell can show us something we haven't seen yet. Anything he can bring to the field will be considered a bonus with their already deep rotation.

johbur
02-28-2010, 06:04 PM

Probably not.

Harrell will be cut this year and go into business with Joe Johnson, with Jamal Reynolds consulting. If those three had not been injured, the Packers defensive history the past decade would have been different. That could be said of a lot of the players that have been hurt in GB. Terrence Murphy might have been the solution to the Packers being in a decade-ish long slump in the return game.

Hopefully Pickett, Raji and Jenkins stay healthy and Jolly doesn't go to prison. Toss in the LBs and the front seven looks really good. I count on the players that are on the team, not those that are on IR. They're dead to me until they're on the field contributing.

Jim Jim
02-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Ooooh. Terrence Murphy! I remember being a big fan of T-Murph. I always thought he would have developed into a great player. But his injury probably led way to Greg Jennings being selected. So, eh. All things happen for a reason?

But still a shame about Murphy.

dan77733
03-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Has FS Nick Collins been tendered yet? And if so, at what level?

Thanks.

umphrey
03-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Some good news: McCarthy named Finley the "starter" which is what he called Lee the past 3 years. Lee played in more snaps per game than Finley last year. Next year Lee is scheduled for a heavy dosage of special teams duty.

TitleTown088
03-01-2010, 11:49 AM

Thanks.

No, not yet. IF he is I'm sure it will be really high.

dan77733
03-01-2010, 03:00 PM
No, not yet. IF he is I'm sure it will be really high.

Okay, thanks.

J-Mike88
03-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Let me ax each of you guys a simple question here, with me setting it up first.
The season-ender killer loss to the Cardinals exposed my nworst nightmare, which was seen in Pittsburgh, and twice against the Vikings: Lack of Pass Rush = good QB's carving us apart.

Our rush defense was legit #1 vs the rush.

On offense, we all know our offense is capable of scoring 40 points on any defense.

So, my question is what player(s)/position(s) must we upgrade the most, the soonest, on this team to improve that pass defense?
Simple question, but I'm curious to hear all your answers.

jackalope
03-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I realize I'm probably in the minority on this, but I felt like our terrible performances against the Cardinals and Steelers had more to do with terrible pass coverage than it did pass rush. Obviously the pass rush hurt us too, but receivers were wide open all game (I'm thinking back mostly to the Arizona game).

TitleTown088
03-01-2010, 04:27 PM
I realize I'm probably in the minority on this, but I felt like our terrible performances against the Cardinals and Steelers had more to do with terrible pass coverage than it did pass rush. Obviously the pass rush hurt us too, but receivers were wide open all game (I'm thinking back mostly to the Arizona game).

Alone? No way, its obvious the secondary needs some upgrades and some depth.

jackalope
03-01-2010, 04:31 PM

I hear a lot of people (or maybe it's just the same people saying it a lot) putting those games on the pass rush, but I feel that had much less to do with getting ripped apart than the secondary.

TitleTown088
03-01-2010, 04:32 PM
I hear a lot of people (or maybe it's just the same people saying it a lot) putting those games on the pass rush, but I feel that had much less to do with getting ripped apart than the secondary.

I think its a combination of both. Both areas need to be upgraded. I read a quote from Capers at the end of the season where he said upgrading the pass rush was his number on priority.

Mr.Regular
03-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Agreed. Sure some extra pass rush never hurts, but our secondary was the problem. Spread the field and pick on the poor depth of our corners seemed to be the gameplan that killed us.

umphrey
03-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Cornerback, then safety, then distant third OLB. We didn't have enough capable coverage guys to disguise our defense. We had to blitz too much. Warner, Big Ben, Favre were all vets who knew how to handle it. Read the defense quick and throw it to the receiver being covered by the practice squad guy. That's the play we lost the Pittsburgh game on. We need corners besides Woodson and Williams that we can rely on to some degree. Maybe someone to take Williams' job - he isn't a scrub but he struggles at times. Atari Bigby needs to get healthy and bring something to the table. Either cover better or lay some hits over the middle or get to the quarterback (if we start blitzing him).

umphrey
03-01-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm glad I'm not alone I thought everyone here was thinking pass rush.

Agree/disagree?:
Our pass rush was better after Kampman went down because Brad Jones was an adequate, albeit not as good as Kampman, pass rusher who allowed us to run a less predictable, less one sided 3-4

cvv84
03-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Some good news: McCarthy named Finley the "starter" which is what he called Lee the past 3 years. Lee played in more snaps per game than Finley last year. Next year Lee is scheduled for a heavy dosage of special teams duty.

Love it, although I'd still like to draft a more blocking TE who can run some short/intermediate routes.

Finley is really revolutionizing our offense and giving us a big matchup weapon.

cvv84
03-01-2010, 04:39 PM

Thanks.

Not yet but he's going to be given the tender that would give us a 1st and 2nd round pick if another team signs him.

There was a report from the combine though that the Packers were working on an extention for him.

Mr.Regular
03-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Sleeper alert:
We need to target this Dekoda Watson kid. I remember him always being way too undersized, but he bulked up to a nice 240. Plus he was one of the stars of the combine thus far (maybe THE best LB). He had good production throughout his career and he always seemed to be a player everytime I watched FSU. Anyone else liking him?

umphrey
03-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Love it, although I'd still like to draft a more blocking TE who can run some short/intermediate routes.

Finley is really revolutionizing our offense and giving us a big matchup weapon.

I really want to take Nate Byham out of Pitt in the 5th or 6th if he's there. 6'4" 268 he's an inline blocker that would do really well running into linebackers but as a pass catcher he's pretty much limited to a catch when he gets lost in zone coverage.

Lee makes 2 mil I believe which is pretty cheap but why not just cut him and bring in a young, hungry TE for cheaper? Havner is already the better pass catcher and all we should be using Lee for is blocking because he drops everything.

princefielder28
03-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Sleeper alert:
We need to target this Dekoda Watson kid. I remember him always being way too undersized, but he bulked up to a nice 240. Plus he was one of the stars of the combine thus far (maybe THE best LB). He had good production throughout his career and he always seemed to be a player everytime I watched FSU. Anyone else liking him?

I wouldn't mind the Packers using a mid-rounder on guy like this, but his on the field production and play never matched up with his physical tools. Are you thinking Watson may be a OLB option? He's too undersized to play inside, IMO.

Mr.Regular
03-01-2010, 08:01 PM
I wouldn't mind the Packers using a mid-rounder on guy like this, but his on the field production and play never matched up with his physical tools. Are you thinking Watson may be a OLB option? He's too undersized to play inside, IMO.
Yes I was thinking OLB. Hes undersized for that too, but I wouldnt mind using a mid rounder on him and developing him for a little bit. He has a ton of intriguing potential.

princefielder28
03-02-2010, 08:20 AM
According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel the Packers have determined that TJ Lang's position moving forward will be right tackle.

Mr.Regular
03-02-2010, 09:20 AM
According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel the Packers have determined that TJ Lang's position moving forward will be right tackle.
I like. I think he has a good future going forward. Our future OL should look like

1st rounder this year/ Spitz/ Wells/ Sitton/ Lang

with Wells perhaps being replaced in the future.

roidrunner
03-02-2010, 04:37 PM
So here is a question for you all. I have been watching the combine a lot lately. and i noticed something the biggest flaw in Taylor mays is that he has stiff hips and has issues back pedaling. WHich is not good for a person who wants to be a DB. So what about if the packers drafting him and moving him to OLB? Opposite of Clay. His speed would make him an asset. as well as his hitting ability is not really in question. Its just some thing interesting i have been thinking about. Thoughts? Opinions?

cvv84
03-02-2010, 04:40 PM

Probably his 2nd best position IMO. I like him more at LG but I can't really complain.

So here is a question for you all. I have been watching the combine a lot lately. and i noticed something the biggest flaw in Taylor mays is that he has stiff hips and has issues back pedaling. WHich is not good for a person who wants to be a DB. So what about if the packers drafting him and moving him to OLB? Opposite of Clay. His speed would make him an asset. as well as his hitting ability is not really in question. Its just some thing interesting i have been thinking about. Thoughts? Opinions?

He doesn't have any pass rushing moves. Best case for him if he can't cut it at safety is to become a Thomas Davis in a 4-3 defense.

RyanBraun8
03-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Probably his 2nd best position IMO. I like him more at LG but I can't really complain.

Agreed LG would be the idea spot for Lang but I think he will be fine at RT. Much better than trying to make him a LT at least.

He doesn't have any pass rushing moves. Best case for him if he can't cut it at safety is to become a Thomas Davis in a 4-3 defense.

and agreed, he is 230 which is extremely undersized. Plus on top of his size is the mere fact that he wasn't that great at playing up in the box....I doubt that will improve by going against much better competition.

TitleTown088
03-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Tramon gets a 1st round tender. Blackmon a 4th. Montgomery asks for release.

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/blog/index.php?action=blog&blog_id=20&post_id=1534

Jim Jim
03-02-2010, 07:15 PM
I think Tramon is a decent nickle, but that's about it.

I also think TJ Lang could probably play most of the positions along the offensive line. He's such a talented guy.

roidrunner
03-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Agreed LG would be the idea spot for Lang but I think he will be fine at RT. Much better than trying to make him a LT at least.

and agreed, he is 230 which is extremely undersized. Plus on top of his size is the mere fact that he wasn't that great at playing up in the box....I doubt that will improve by going against much better competition.

well you can teach him pass rushing skills. Thats why we have coaches, but i agree that he is a little undersized. But lets just say that he gains 10-20 pounds. Would that make him more attractive?

I know that this is a weird topic, but it was just something that i was thinking about. With his speed it would make him very dangerous in the pass rush.

cvv84
03-02-2010, 08:32 PM
well you can teach him pass rushing skills. Thats why we have coaches, but i agree that he is a little undersized. But lets just say that he gains 10-20 pounds. Would that make him more attractive?

I know that this is a weird topic, but it was just something that i was thinking about. With his speed it would make him very dangerous in the pass rush.

If you could just teach pass rushing skills then anyone could be a pass rusher. You still need to be able to use your hands and generate leverage. All of which Mays has never done as a safety.

I still really don't see why everyone is so eager to replace Brad Jones. He was pretty impressive for a 7th round rookie and I'd be excited about this:

Bulking up: Linebacker Brad Jones weighed about 239 pounds during a rookie season in which he played 343 plays from scrimmage and 175 more on special teams.

Jones has been one of several Packers working out in Arizona in what McCarthy referred to as a “pre-off-season program.” The Packers’ off-season program starts March 15 in Green Bay.

“He definitely has to put on more weight,” McCarthy said. “He’s doing a four- or five-week cycle out there.

We’re hoping he can put on 10 pounds of lean muscle mass. I think he will accomplish that this year.”

roidrunner
03-02-2010, 10:33 PM
I like brad jones, its just that he does not jump off the screen when you watch him. i guess what i am trying to say is he is not a big time play maker which is what i personally want from an OLB in a 3-4 system. we have one in Matthew's but two would be better.

Hawk
03-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I like brad jones, its just that he does not jump off the screen when you watch him. i guess what i am trying to say is he is not a big time play maker which is what i personally want from an OLB in a 3-4 system. we have one in Matthew's but two would be better.

Neither did James Harrison when he first came into the league. I think if the team is patient with this kid he could develop into a solid contributer and we shouldn't be so eager to replace him yet. He showed flashes last year.

TitleTown088
03-03-2010, 04:49 PM
I like brad jones, its just that he does not jump off the screen when you watch him. i guess what i am trying to say is he is not a big time play maker which is what i personally want from an OLB in a 3-4 system. we have one in Matthew's but two would be better. I'm not a HUGE Brad Jones guy, but he did have 4 sacks in 6 starts as a rookie. While he did have some issues that's not exactly chump play from a rookie.

jackalope
03-03-2010, 05:05 PM
We need to give Jones another year before we invest a high draft choice at the position.

cvv84
03-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Jeremy Kapinos is the only restricted free agent not tendered an offer.

Oh and apparently he's not too happy (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/kapinos-is-pissed-about-not-being-tendered/) about it:

"I assume somebody needs to be held accountable or sacrificed for the net and [inside-the-20] production," Kapinos told Tom Pelissero of the Green Bay Press-Gazette via text message. "While I do admit I needed to improve and I was at fault for some of it, I won't agree with anyone I was the lone liability. I think it's very irresponsible to place the blame on one person. [Special teams] won't improve if that's the philosophy, I would hope there is a sense of accountability across the board. . . .

"[I just] think somebody needed to go down," Kapinos said. "I believe I can and will improve, already taken steps, lost 15 [pounds] and have been doing my drills. NFL is a journey and I look forward to the next step, I believe I'll get another chance this year."

RyanBraun8
03-03-2010, 06:54 PM
We need to give Jones another year before we invest a high draft choice at the position.

No we don't.... we have NO depth at OLB at all. It arguably has the least amount of depth on our roster. You can't put all you stock in Jones. Well worth taking one in the early rounds

PACKmanN
03-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Jeremy Kapinos is the only restricted free agent not tendered an offer.

Oh and apparently he's not too happy (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/kapinos-is-pissed-about-not-being-tendered/) about it:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? We blamed him for being a terrible punter, and I doubt TT is dumb enough to blame him for the special teams unit mistakes.

J-Mike88
03-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Right, he's very raw.
This is why I'd like to see a veteran, experienced 34 OLB brought in, for the short time, because this team is good enough to win a Super Bowl now, if it improves the pass defense. I agree Jones might become a good one, and I like the kid a lot, but he was always singled by the weaker right tackle, and was absolutely MIA against Arizona.

I don't know who can give us more punch there.
Maybe it's Kampman, or Joey Porter, Adalius Thomas, Mike Vrabel, but we don't need a 22-year old still learning the position.

Carlos Rogers, Dunta Robinson, Leigh Bodden, Deshea Townsend might be able to help in the coverage. All are FA's and not their teams' top priorities to keep. Rogers at this point in time reminds me of Woodson in 2006. Both great talents, top-ten picks, who had struggled and been banged up, wanted a change of scenery.

It worked for Woodson. Getting Rogers could be like us getting a similiarly aged Al Harris. Or remember the last former top 12 pick we got from Washington? (Hint, he won us a Super Bowl as the games MVP)....