PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84

cvv84
03-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Right, he's very raw.
This is why I'd like to see a veteran, experienced 34 OLB brought in, for the short time, because this team is good enough to win a Super Bowl now, if it improves the pass defense. I agree Jones might become a good one, and I like the kid a lot, but he was always singled by the weaker right tackle, and was absolutely MIA against Arizona.

I don't know who can give us more punch there.
Maybe it's Kampman, or Joey Porter, Adalius Thomas, Mike Vrabel, but we don't need a 22-year old still learning the position.

Carlos Rogers, Dunta Robinson, Leigh Bodden, Deshea Townsend might be able to help in the coverage. All are FA's and not their teams' top priorities to keep. Rogers at this point in time reminds me of Woodson in 2006. Both great talents, top-ten picks, who had struggled and been banged up, wanted a change of scenery.

It worked for Woodson. Getting Rogers could be like us getting a similiarly aged Al Harris. Or remember the last former top 12 pick we got from Washington? (Hint, he won us a Super Bowl as the games MVP)....

Kampman - He just doesn't fit the defense and is a huge liability in coverage. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere on our proven young talent.

Porter - He already said that he'd like to play out west in either San Diego or Arizona. No way we'd bring in a guy like Porter.

Thomas - Technically he's still a Patriot and even if/when he gets released he's not the same player he was 2 years ago and he'd surely find a home with Rex Ryan and the Jets.

Vrabel - I'd take Jones 7 days a week and twice on Sundays over Vrabel at this stage in his career.

Rogers - Never really a playmaker. He's also a restricted free agent so we'd have to trade for him and invest some money in a guy who's still a big mystery.

Robinson - He's going to get overpaid and he's regressed every year since his stellar rookie season. Another mystery guy who I'd be hessitant to invest in.

Bodden - Sometimes he's great and sometimes he's lousy. Trammon Williams?

Townsend - He's a year older than Woodson and has had a reduced role the past 2 seasons. Not really an upgrade over anyone on our roster IMO.

Lets all just take a dose of reality, this is Green Bay and this a team controlled by Ted Thompson. We're going to keep building through the draft and play a very minor role in free agency. If anything I could see TT start moving up to target guys instead of building for depth like he did when he first took over.

And J-Mike, Brad Jones was going against Levi Brown in that playoff game. Not exactally your "weaker right tackle." How about you talk to Capers and ask him why he ran the same gameplan as week 17. THAT is why we lost the wildcard.

Whistler6
03-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Maybe some free agents are over priced, others a bit overrated, but all I know is if Green Bay goes to battle with the same defensive backfield as they did last season...One and done in the playoffs in a QB-WR driven league is as far as they will get.

I'm not saying TT should do this or that, but I don't think simply addressing a need through the draft will be enough to push them over that hump. Then again Clay Mathews nearly did. Anyways, this offseason should be interesting.

Whistler6
03-03-2010, 11:04 PM
As cvv4 posted, it's nice to see that the un-tendered Jeremy Kapinos isn't taking sole responsibility for his poor punting. Not exactly the way to go if your looking to get a camp invite.

“While I do admit I needed to improve and I was at fault for some of it, I won’t agree with anyone I was the lone liability. I think it’s very irresponsible to place the blame on one person. (Special teams) won’t improve if that’s the philosophy. I would hope there is a sense of accountability across the board.”

RyanBraun8
03-04-2010, 12:38 AM
I don't feel we will be one and done if we go into battle with the same DB's this season we should have beat the Cards but as CVV stated our defense got torched because we blow a team out, gave them a week to study what we did, and we went out and did the EXACT same thing. Same goes with the Vikings games where Capers decided to do the exact same thing both games which for some reason was not to blitz at all. I'd like to sign Robinson but I don't see it happening. I just hope Lee grows a sack and can stay on the field past training camp and for Blackmon not to get hurt after week 5 every season.

I love T. Will and think he just keeps getting better and the way he stepped in for Al this season was huge and helped save our season. I don't see Woodson and Williams as a bad combo it is the dact that we need someone to step into the Nickle roll whose name is not Jarrett last name Bush. As much as many would LOVE to think we can draft a CB and they will step in and be our knight in shiny armor and save our secondary... I'm sorry to inform but that isn't a great possibility. Look at our CB draft picks over the last 20 years...

Hits
1999 Mike McKenzie 3 rd round pick
1996 Tyrone Williams 3rd rd pick
1993 Doug Evans 6th rd pick, 1991

Not one hit in the 2000's instead this is what we have had:
2009 Brandon Underwood 6th rd pick
2008 Pat Lee 2nd rd pick
2006 Will Blackmon 4th rd pick
2005 Mike Hawkins 5th rd pick
2003 Ahmad Carrol 1st rd pick
Joey Thomas 3rd rd pick
2002 Chris Johnson 7th rd pick
1999 Atwan Edwards 1st rd pick, started 18 games 7 picks in 5 years
Fred Vincent 2nd rd pick
1998 Roosvelt Blackmon 4th rd pick
1995 Craig Newsome 1sr rd pick
1991 Terrell Buckley 1st round pick

Hit only on 3 in 20 years, (guys that actually made a difference and was a reliable starter) not very good.

cuzifelt1ikeit
03-04-2010, 01:10 AM
I don't feel we will be one and done if we go into battle with the same DB's this season we should have beat the Cards but as CVV stated our defense got torched because we blow a team out, gave them a week to study what we did, and we went out and did the EXACT same thing. Same goes with the Vikings games where Capers decided to do the exact same thing both games which for some reason was not to blitz at all. I'd like to sign Robinson but I don't see it happening. I just hope Lee grows a sack and can stay on the field past training camp and for Blackmon not to get hurt after week 5 every season.

I love T. Will and think he just keeps getting better and the way he stepped in for Al this season was huge and helped save our season. I don't see Woodson and Williams as a bad combo it is the dact that we need someone to step into the Nickle roll whose name is not Jarrett last name Bush. As much as many would LOVE to think we can draft a CB and they will step in and be our knight in shiny armor and save our secondary... I'm sorry to inform but that isn't a great possibility. Look at our CB draft picks over the last 20 years...

Hits
1999 Mike McKenzie 3 rd round pick
1996 Tyrone Williams 3rd rd pick
1993 Doug Evans 6th rd pick, 1991

Not one hit in the 2000's instead this is what we have had:
2009 Brandon Underwood 6th rd pick
2008 Pat Lee 2nd rd pick
2006 Will Blackmon 4th rd pick
2005 Mike Hawkins 5th rd pick
2003 Ahmad Carrol 1st rd pick
Joey Thomas 3rd rd pick
2002 Chris Johnson 7th rd pick
1999 Atwan Edwards 1st rd pick, started 18 games 7 picks in 5 years
Fred Vincent 2nd rd pick
1998 Roosvelt Blackmon 4th rd pick
1995 Craig Newsome 1sr rd pick
1991 Terrell Buckley 1st round pick

Hit only on 3 in 20 years, (guys that actually made a difference and was a reliable starter) not very good.

i dont know how you can look in any past history of drafting corners other then ted thompsons.. its not like a corner picked by green bay is doomed.

RyanBraun8
03-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Im not saying they are doomed, just that statistics prove that rookie corners usually don't have the impact that people hope for. We can draft Cox, Warren, Wilson, and etc but just because we pick them doesn't mean we will be better because of it. The nice thing about my breakdown is it does include TT picks along with the worst drafting GM (Sherman) and the best (Wolf). TT as an eye more like Wolf because he worked under him but does TT make it a higher chance of success? No, it is very hit or miss and usually more towards miss. Maybe we find a gem who can impact like Cox for the Jags last season but to expect anything more than a decent nickle corner for the next 2 seasons is asking for for a little much. At 23 there are no DRC's or Jenkins this season who will be there. 2nd round maybe one can be an okay nickle but who knows. CB is a tough postion for young guys to to develop. OLB, OT, and SS usually make a smother transition. CB's develop like WR and take time....usually

Whistler6
03-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Both Antrelle Rolle and Marlin Jackson are now available. Rolle was released and Jackson wasn't tendered. I'm not saying GO GET THEM, but they might be a couple of guys to consider.

Although, I think Rolle will be vastly overpaid and Marlin Jackson is coming off an ACL tear. I'm not sure my point here, but they are just a couple of DB's now available. I wish I could get inside TT's head for a day.

J-Mike88
03-04-2010, 04:10 PM
i dont know how you can look in any past history of drafting corners other then ted thompsons.. its not like a corner picked by green bay is doomed.
Right, so focus in on Ted's CB picks only then.
It's a grade of a D- at best, for his drafting of CB's.

Woodson and Harris are are only good ones. Neither were his draft picks.
Tramon is a solid nickel, and borderline decent #2 CB. He signed him, but didn't draft him. Look at his actual draft picks of CB's, all of them.

Pat Lee, Thrill Blackmon, Brandon Underwood.... these are the best of his CB picks in his Packer history, and these guys so far are failures as CB's period. They are our weaknesses. Whatever the reason is, that can be debated, but clearly they have not panned out yet, no question about it.

That's why when you can do what we did to get Al Harris, or Charles Woodson, you should do it with this position.

Carlos Rogers, Antonio Cromartie, Leigh Bodden, Dunta Robinson, Ken Lucas, Anthony Henry, Deshea Townsend, even the veteran Dre' Bly. Nobody can convince me that none of those guys would make our team better when we need 5, 6 CB's out there against pass-happy offenses like the ones that killed us.

cvv84
03-04-2010, 04:47 PM

I agree to a degree here. TT hasn't really ever spent a high pick on a CB for us other than Pat Lee. He has found good players in the secondary though. He drafted Marcus Trufant, Michael Boulware has 2 good seasons, he transitioned Nick Collins to safety, signed Trammon Williams, and brought in Woodson.

He's really taken the same approach with the offensive line - draft mid to late round guys and hope they develop.

Whistler6
03-04-2010, 05:10 PM

Tramon is a solid nickel, and borderline decent #2 CB. He signed him, but didn't draft him. Look at his actual draft picks of CB's, all of them.

Pat Lee, Thrill Blackmon, Brandon Underwood.... these are the best of his CB picks in his Packer history, and these guys so far are failures as CB's period. They are our weaknesses. Whatever the reason is, that can be debated, but clearly they have not panned out yet, no question about it.

That's why when you can do what we did to get Al Harris, or Charles Woodson, you should do it with this position.

Carlos Rogers, Antonio Cromartie, Leigh Bodden, Dunta Robinson, Ken Lucas, Anthony Henry, Deshea Townsend, even the veteran Dre' Bly. Nobody can convince me that none of those guys would make our team better when we need 5, 6 CB's out there against pass-happy offenses like the ones that killed us.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I agree completely. It would be a mistake to think Green Bay can go into the season counting on Blackmon, Lee, and/or Underwood to solidify the defensive backfield. There is talent to be had this offseason, and I hope to God TT isn't overvaluin his in-house talent.

If I'm wrong and pleasantly surprised, then great. But I don't think what they have is nearly enough to contend for the ultimate goal of a Superbowl.

cvv84
03-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Some interesting notes from Greg Bedard:

Sean Jensen at the Chicago Sun-Times says hes hearing the Philadelphia Eagles will be first in line for linebacker/end Aaron Kampman once free agency starts.

A 3-4 defensive line coach told me that Idaho guard Mike Iupati jumped off the film so much at the Senior Bowl that the coach didnt want to watch linemen anymore, he just wanted to watch Iupati maul people. While some think Iupati could play tackle in the NFL, that likely wont come for a couple years. Hes the type of guy that needs to be made comfortable in one spot. Once he masters that, then you can try to move him. Coach said hed lobby to take Iupati in the top 20.

A 3-4 coach told me he wanted nothing to do with Michigan linebacker Brandon Graham because his short stature and short arms will make it hard for him to get off blocks.

Line coach said Penn State DE Jared Odrick is a try-hard kid that wont make plays in the NFL. Cant two-gap like you need in the 3-4.

Couldn't tell you how many people raved about TE Jermichael Finley. People around the league expect him to be a Pro Bowler this season. Scouts also like LB Brad Jones and wonder how they missed him.

I understand that Packers fans want to get all revved up about the start of free agency, just like their friends that support other teams. Its really fun to think about what a guy like Julius Peppers would look like on the other side of Clay Matthews. Or Antrel Rolle roaming the secondary next to Nick Collins. I get it. I really do. But my advice to Packers fans is this: Just stop. Please. For your own mental health. There is absolutely no reason for you to expect anything out of the initial rush of free agency. The Packers do not get involved during the first weekend of free agency. They may call a few guys and tell them theyre interested, but there will be no urgency.

PACKmanN
03-04-2010, 07:55 PM
If there is one guy I hope the Packers can make a push for, it's Marlin Jackson. With Al Harris not being 100% and could be cut, we need a number 2 guy, and Jackson is that guy and fits the type of CBs TT likes.

cvv84
03-04-2010, 09:08 PM
If there is one guy I hope the Packers can make a push for, it's Marlin Jackson. With Al Harris not being 100% and could be cut, we need a number 2 guy, and Jackson is that guy and fits the type of CBs TT likes.

11 games the past 2 years. 2 ACL injuries. 4 career INTs in 5 seasons. I'll pass.

RyanBraun8
03-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Some interesting notes from Greg Bedard:Some interesting notes from Greg Bedard:

Quote:
Sean Jensen at the Chicago Sun-Times says hes hearing the Philadelphia Eagles will be first in line for linebacker/end Aaron Kampman once free agency starts.

A 3-4 defensive line coach told me that Idaho guard Mike Iupati jumped off the film so much at the Senior Bowl that the coach didnt want to watch linemen anymore, he just wanted to watch Iupati maul people. While some think Iupati could play tackle in the NFL, that likely wont come for a couple years. Hes the type of guy that needs to be made comfortable in one spot. Once he masters that, then you can try to move him. Coach said hed lobby to take Iupati in the top 20.

A 3-4 coach told me he wanted nothing to do with Michigan linebacker Brandon Graham because his short stature and short arms will make it hard for him to get off blocks.

Line coach said Penn State DE Jared Odrick is a try-hard kid that wont make plays in the NFL. Cant two-gap like you need in the 3-4.

Couldn't tell you how many people raved about TE Jermichael Finley. People around the league expect him to be a Pro Bowler this season. Scouts also like LB Brad Jones and wonder how they missed him.

I understand that Packers fans want to get all revved up about the start of free agency, just like their friends that support other teams. Its really fun to think about what a guy like Julius Peppers would look like on the other side of Clay Matthews. Or Antrel Rolle roaming the secondary next to Nick Collins. I get it. I really do. But my advice to Packers fans is this: Just stop. Please. For your own mental health. There is absolutely no reason for you to expect anything out of the initial rush of free agency.The Packers do not get involved during the first weekend of free agency. They may call a few guys and tell them theyre interested, but there will be no urgency.

Ha I believe CVV84 has said this many many many times... in which I have agreed!

Whistler6
03-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Favre tonight talking to Leno on his INT vs. NO:

"Both legs were killing me. In hindsight, I wish I would’ve ran, but I don’t know if I could have. I really don’t.” (tear)

http://twitter.com/espn_nfcnblog

Whistler6
03-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Brodney Pool wasn't tendered by the Browns either. I haven't seen much of him, if any, but just throwing that out there because he's another free agent DB. I remember Pool being really talented coming out of Oklahoma though.

PACKmanN
03-04-2010, 09:22 PM
11 games the past 2 years. 2 ACL injuries. 4 career INTs in 5 seasons. I'll pass.

yet he is better then all our guys except for Woodson. He will come keep, but I wouldn't give up on him because of injuries.

cvv84
03-04-2010, 09:26 PM
yet he is better then all our guys except for Woodson. He will come keep, but I wouldn't give up on him because of injuries.

He's a solid tackler but thats about it. No playmaking ability and lacks coverage skills. His 15 career pass defenses are 2 more than Nick Collins has this past season. I wouldn't call him an upgrade for Trammon and he'd only be an upgrade over Harris because of Harris's age and injury.

Jim Jim
03-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Brodney Pool wasn't tendered by the Browns either. I haven't seen much of him, if any, but just throwing that out there because he's another free agent DB. I remember Pool being really talented coming out of Oklahoma though.

I remember Brodney Pool being the GB pick that year on Scott's mocks.

PACKmanN
03-04-2010, 09:40 PM
He's a solid tackler but thats about it. No playmaking ability and lacks coverage skills. His 15 career pass defenses are 2 more than Nick Collins has this past season. I wouldn't call him an upgrade for Trammon and he'd only be an upgrade over Harris because of Harris's age and injury.

Al Harris isn't a ballhawk by any means, and still had a great career. Many factors could play as to why his INTs are low. I want to know how many times he was targeted. I hope TT looks at him, he will come cheap, and could be a nickel guy. Also, Williams wasn't looking like he was 2 seasons ago, his play fell last year.

If TT values competition, then targeting Jackson cheap can help that. We can have Williams, Jackon, and Lee battle for the 2nd and 3rd CB spots. He is a good, not great CB but in a Zone Cover Scheme, you don't need great CBs to win.

Whistler6
03-04-2010, 09:49 PM

Is there 1 defensive back on Green Bay's team that can be considered a solid tackler aside from Woodson? And injuries definitely should cause pause, but Tauscher came back this year after 2 shoulder surgeries AND 2 major knee surgeries.

Different and incomparable players, but throwing away a consideration just because of a couple of freak injuries wouldn't be smart. If he could indeed come fairly cheap, then I think he's worth a look. I'm saying that only, because I don't think TT will go after any of the big names on the market.

RyanBraun8
03-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Al Harris isn't a ballhawk by any means, and still had a great career. Many factors could play as to why his INTs are low. I want to know how many times he was targeted. I hope TT looks at him, he will come cheap, and could be a nickel guy. Also, Williams wasn't looking like he was 2 seasons ago, his play fell last year.

If TT values competition, then targeting Jackson cheap can help that. We can have Williams, Jackon, and Lee battle for the 2nd and 3rd CB spots. He is a good, not great CB but in a Zone Cover Scheme, you don't need great CBs to win.

Al Harris has had a great career because he is the most dreaded, physical, in your face CB in the NFL. You don't need to be a ballhawk when you have those tanglables. Poole doesn't have those..

If we are going to take an injuried guy to play CB make it Jackson because he has had a solid career so far with many less questions. Like you mentioned in the second paragraph.

RyanBraun8
03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Is there 1 defensive back on Green Bay's team that can be considered a solid tackler aside from Woodson? And injuries definitely should cause pause, but Tauscher came back this year after 2 shoulder surgeries AND 2 major knee surgeries.

Different and incomparable players, but throwing away a consideration just because of a couple of freak injuries wouldn't be smart. If he could indeed come fairly cheap, then I think he's worth a look. I'm saying that only, because I don't think TT will go after any of the big names on the market.

Al Harris is a pretty good tackler, not Woodson good but he is not bad. Collins is brutally bad a lot of the time and Bigby has his moments where you are left just shaking your head.

That also left me shaking my head knowing how ACL is probably the one of the hardest football injuries to come back from def at CB where you really need that lateral movement and planting. One time I could deal with, 2 times is really stretching it.

Jackson>Poole
1 ACL Tear vs. 2 ACL Tears

An ACL tear isn't a nothing "freak" injury in the NFL, a couple of "freak" injuries of the ACL is usually a decent sign that your career is near over. Way to hard to rebound after 2 straight

RockJock07
03-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Per ESPN, Peppers and Chester Taylor will be visiting the Bears on Friday.

I'm willing to let this all play out but the Jets got Cromartie for a 3rd that could be a 2nd later. I'm sorry but that's a deal that TT should have jumped at. Whether he is lock down or not, he would be better then any 3rd rounder the Pack picked.

I'm not smart enough to know how the uncapped year is going to help/hurt things I just know that will some added defensive depth the Packers could be scary good with the offense they have.

Look Peppers doesn't really fill a need for the Bears, unless he plays RB, OL, or DB but still, he's an impact player and if he does sign there, TT must address LT with greater importance.

cuzifelt1ikeit
03-05-2010, 12:41 AM

right because i said ted thompson is amazing at drafting corners. i still have hope for pat lee. will blackmon played receiver his last year in college or maybe it was his junior year idr. he was never supposed to be a top flight corner.

you also have too look at where everyone was picked.. maybe he never had a shot at getting a good corner in the draft because another team picked before us. also carlos rogers and cromartie are with other teams. cromartie has been traded since your post but still. he isnt a free agent. those guys might make our team better but they arent even available in free agency so we shouldnt even think about them.

cuzifelt1ikeit
03-05-2010, 12:42 AM
also chad clifton is visiting the redskins

gpngc
03-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Packers fans... Aaron Kampman - I need the lowdown.

What was his injury? Did he play at all last year? How good was he before the injury? Good against the run? How much left in the tank?

It seems the Seahawks love to get white DEs with two years left in the tank.

Boston
03-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Packers fans... Aaron Kampman - I need the lowdown.

What was his injury? Did he play at all last year? How good was he before the injury? Good against the run? How much left in the tank?

It seems the Seahawks love to get white DEs with two years left in the tank.

Kampman tore his ACL midway through the season last year playing a position that didn't come natural to him. Put him back at defensive end, he'd still be a tank against the run, but it may take him a few games to get back into the feel of the position. I'd say he probably has 2-3 years of high-level play left in him.

Jim Jim
03-05-2010, 12:21 PM
This is the most depressing time to be a Packers fan. :(

GB12
03-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Based on the latest jsonline blog there's not a chance Kampman will be back in Green Bay next year. Not that there was much of a chance, but It looks pretty clear that he wants out of Green Bay and back in a 4-3.

RockJock07
03-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Bears sign, Chester Taylor, Peppers and Manumaluena.

This is shocking, I hope TT has a plan. I never expected the packers to go after any of the 3 but wow, how do the Packers respond?

princefielder28
03-05-2010, 03:19 PM

This is shocking, I hope TT has a plan. I never expected the packers to go after any of the 3 but wow, how do the Packers respond?

The Packers need to get Chad Clifton back. Not necessarily as a response to the Bears signing Peppers but to protect Rodgers from these pass rushers being brought into the division.

RyanBraun8
03-05-2010, 03:50 PM

Like Prince said, sign clifton, have a good draft. You don't irrationally signings or trades just because a rival team signed someone (or 3 guys). If it is a god aweful market, why force something?

Whistler6
03-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Snap judgement says, oh ****. Vanden Bosch, Corey Williams, Nate Burleson to the Lions. C. Taylor and Julius Peppers to Bears. And the Vikings are already stocked full of pro bowl players.

But, I am going to actually put my faith in TT and believe he has some kind of direction he plans on taking the Packers. Relax, breathe, be patient right? The NFC North is gearing up to be the new NFC East with all the talent that is being brought in.

Whistler6
03-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Clay Mathews tweeted this a bit ago. My thoughts exactly, and I truly hope Clifton sticks around.

ClayMatthews52 (http://twitter.com/ClayMatthews52): VDB 2 detroit and peppers 2 chi. Looks like NFC north tackles r gonna have their hands full!!

RyanBraun8
03-05-2010, 04:06 PM
If the CBA didn't rape the FA market and make over 200 players (plenty of impact guys in there) RFA I would say we could afford to make a move. This FA market is absolutely horrendous. I go up and down the list and I really have to convience myself that any of these guys would actually make an impact for us.

cvv84
03-05-2010, 04:25 PM

Exactally, you need a great pass rush. And zone CBs aren't that hard to find so why spend the money?

cvv84
03-05-2010, 04:29 PM

This isn't shocking. This is a sign of how desperate the Bears are to improve. Let them keep spending money because we've drafted well and have the depth needed to not have to spend top dollar on aging players.

At least we'll be drafting on the 1st and 2nd round rounds this year. Can't say that for the Bears right now.

cvv84
03-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Snap judgement says, oh ****. Vanden Bosch, Corey Williams, Nate Burleson to the Lions. C. Taylor and Julius Peppers to Bears. And the Vikings are already stocked full of pro bowl players.

But, I am going to actually put my faith in TT and believe he has some kind of direction he plans on taking the Packers. Relax, breathe, be patient right? The NFC North is gearing up to be the new NFC East with all the talent that is being brought in.

Burleson signed with the Lions? Thats a good pick up for them. I'm suprised that KVB got that much money though. He's been grossly overrated the past 2 years.

Whistler6
03-05-2010, 04:39 PM
As daunting and forceful as Tommie Harris and Julius Peppers on the D-line sounds like it might be, they are both also known to take plays off or only play when they feel up to it. I still remember the 38 tackles and 2.5 sack year Peppers had in 2007.

I'd take them any day over many other duos, but I have to find a positive in this signing. Overrated slackers, I'm going to hold onto that.

Whistler6
03-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Burleson signed with the Lions? Thats a good pick up for them. I'm suprised that KVB got that much money though. He's been grossly overrated the past 2 years.

I'm basing my information on an Adam Schefter Tweet, but the man is the best in the business. As lame as Twitter can be, it is pretty cool to be able to follow guys like Barnett and Clay Mathews, and then get to-the-minute updates from guys like Peter King, Schefter, and others before the news actually breaks in an online article.

"Filed to ESPN: Lions wasted no time getting on the board. Free-agent WR Nate Burleson reached agreement with Detroit on a five-year deal."

http://twitter.com/adam_schefter

cuzifelt1ikeit
03-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Kampman tore his ACL midway through the season last year playing a position that didn't come natural to him. Put him back at defensive end, he'd still be a tank against the run, but it may take him a few games to get back into the feel of the position. I'd say he probably has 2-3 years of high-level play left in him.

i read an article somewhere today saying that he just sort of went through the motions because of how unhappy he was with the change. i wonder if that had anything to do with the injury because when you dont play full speed during a game or in practice is when those kinds of injuries happen. not trying to paint a bad picture of kampman, i love the guy and would love to have him on the team but theres no point of keeping a square and trying to fit it into a circle hole.

Whistler6
03-05-2010, 05:27 PM
i read an article somewhere today saying that he just sort of went through the motions because of how unhappy he was with the change. i wonder if that had anything to do with the injury because when you dont play full speed during a game or in practice is when those kinds of injuries happen. not trying to paint a bad picture of kampman, i love the guy and would love to have him on the team but theres no point of keeping a square and trying to fit it into a circle hole.

I refuse to believe a word of that. Kampman has defined classy as a Green Bay Packer player, teammate, and citizen. He gave us some amazing seasons and is a leader through and through.

Some people on these local radio stations are saying Green Bay is "kicking him to the curb." That's a bunch of garbage. Allowing him to walk away and sign with whatever team he'd like and wherever he'd like is the best thing they could do by him. I'll always be a Kampman fan.

cvv84
03-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Michael Montgomery and Matt Giordano just got released. No suprises there.

J-Mike88
03-05-2010, 06:43 PM
The only way to improve a football team in the NFL is thru the draft, and from within.

jackalope
03-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Who's up for signing Jim Sorgi? I would love that move.

Jim Jim
03-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Clifton is resigned. Three years.

J-Mike88
03-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Good call. Way to think outside the box. I agree he could contribute and improve us in 3 areas:
-Defensive backfield depth
-Punting
-Special teams coverage

cvv84
03-05-2010, 06:51 PM

Nice to have him back.

Good call. Way to think outside the box. I agree he could contribute and improve us in 3 areas:
-Defensive backfield depth
-Punting
-Special teams coverage

So you're fine with Flynn as the backup? I'm not saying Sorgi is any better but I do believe we should continue to challenge Flynn to help him develop.

GB12
03-05-2010, 06:52 PM

Can't say that didn't cross my mind when I heard he was cut, but no thanks. I don't think he'd be an upgrade over Flynn. I'd be open to Jake Delhomme for a year if he comes cheap.

princefielder28
03-05-2010, 06:53 PM

Thank god! A move that needed to be done.

J-Mike88
03-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Nice.
He must have used Snyder to get the most $ possible, but never probably wanted to play for them. Who would you rather block for, Aaron Rodgers or Jay Campbell?

Nice to keep Clifton. We saw what happened last year when he was out.

cvv84
03-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Packers re-signed LT Chad Clifton to a three-year, $20 million contract. The deal includes $7.5 million guaranteed.

Yikes! Probably more likely a 2 year $13 million deal in the end.

jackalope
03-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Can't say that didn't cross my mind when I heard he was cut, but no thanks. I don't think he'd be an upgrade over Flynn. I'd be open to Jake Delhomme for a year if he comes cheap.

Flynn? I was thinking he would take over Rodgers spot.

Very comforting to see Clifton is resigned.

PACKmanN
03-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Exactally, you need a great pass rush. And zone CBs aren't that hard to find so why spend the money?

Money is going to be spent sooner or later. We are built to win, so why not spend it now?

cvv84
03-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Money is going to be spent sooner or later. We are built to win, so why not spend it now?

Because its Green Bay. We're going to sit back and let everyone else spend and hope to find deals later in free agency. I'd rather use the money and spend it on Collins, Jenkins, Trammon, and potentially Jolly and Finley.

RyanBraun8
03-05-2010, 09:11 PM

If you mean spend money on Collins or Pickett then yeah lets do it, but if you want us to go out and waste money on in this aweful FA market.... that is a mistake.

The part bolded above makes me cringe... Spend it on what exactly? If you forgot the CBA took all the best FA's and turned them into restricted free agents and now there are a bunch guys that are old, used up and in most likely hood will not impact the Packers what so ever. All the best options are pretty much signed or about to sign.

Best Options for Packers to "spend on"

HB: Looking for that speed back
Brian Westbrook....I would mind if we spend a little on him but one more blow to the head he may be done. Dominos effect, once you have one you have another and they get worse everytime. He must be 100% to even consider signing him
Willie Parker....Broken down, who knows if he can still wheel or even offer a team a half season of work.

TE: could may use one because Lee can't catch
Ben Watson... Would go great with J-Mike

OLB:
Jason Taylor..... Can still play a little, use him to help bring Jones around

CB:
Leigh Bodden... if doesn't go back to the Pats, we would be a very good signing.
Lito Sheppard- I have always liked him and he is and upgrade over almost all our CB beside T-Will and Woodson.

SS:
Mike Brown.... When healthy he tends to always make critical plays wouldn't be a bad signing.

PACKmanN
03-05-2010, 09:28 PM
If you mean spend money on Collins or Pickett then yeah lets do it, but if you want us to go out and waste money on in this aweful FA market.... that is a mistake.

The part bolded above makes me cringe... Spend it on what exactly? If you forgot the CBA took all the best FA's and turned them into restricted free agents and now there are a bunch guys that are old, used up and in most likely hood will not impact the Packers what so ever. All the best options are pretty much signed or about to sign.

Best Options for Packers to "spend on"

HB: Looking for that speed back
Brian Westbrook....I would mind if we spend a little on him but one more blow to the head he may be done. Dominos effect, once you have one you have another and they get worse everytime. He must be 100% to even consider signing him
Willie Parker....Broken down, who knows if he can still wheel or even offer a team a half season of work.

TE: could may use one because Lee can't catch
Ben Watson... Would go great with J-Mike

OLB:
Jason Taylor..... Can still play a little, use him to help bring Jones around

CB:
Leigh Bodden... if doesn't go back to the Pats, we would be a very good signing.
Lito Sheppard- I have always liked him and he is and upgrade over almost all our CB beside T-Will and Woodson.

SS:
Mike Brown.... When healthy he tends to always make critical plays wouldn't be a bad signing.

We would spend it on a CB who is 26, so he is in his prime, and would add depth in a position we lack in. Jackson doesn't fit the sterotype you placed on this year FAs.

I'm not saying go out and spend money on 3 or more free agents, but instead i said 1.

J-Mike88
03-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Because its Green Bay. We're going to sit back and let everyone else spend and hope to find deals later in free agency. I'd rather use the money and spend it on Collins, Jenkins, Trammon, and potentially Jolly and Finley.
None of them can protect Rodgers blind side.
Also, why do you say it's an "either-or"?
Did they place a salary cap on the Packers this season?

cvv84
03-05-2010, 09:50 PM
None of them can protect Rodgers blind side.
Also, why do you say it's an "either-or"?
Did they place a salary cap on the Packers this season?

From a guy with a OLB boner over the past month you're all of a sudden pretty concerned with a LT.

Either or? You're going to have to fill me in on what you're getting at.

My guess is that you're getting a big dose of reality right about now. No Peppers. No Cromartie. No big splash from the Packers.

Whistler6
03-05-2010, 10:06 PM
http://twitter.com/EricStangel: Free Agency Update - The Bears are getting carried away. They just signed the groundskeeper to 6yr/$72 million deal.
-----

Peppers getting something like $40 million guaranteed? No thanks. Well done TT, welcome back Chad Clifton. (Playing: Welcome Back Kotter theme song)

PackerLegend
03-05-2010, 10:18 PM
I would have rather worried about signing Tauscher first.. Clifton's body is on the verge of a massive breakdown.. The guy was getting hurt constantly last year and at this point i wouldnt really count on the guy making it a full season anymore.

PACKmanN
03-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Was Tauscher a G before being moved to RT? I could see Lang developing into a similar type of player.

Whistler6
03-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Clifton has the chance to spend an entire offseason uninjured. When on the field he is as consistent as they come. I would much rather spend on a guy who has been around and we know will bring it on the field than overpay someone else.

I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed he doesn't break down. If TT is willing to bet a 3 year contract on it, I am completely confident he will play and play well.

Whistler6
03-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Jason Wilde on the Clifton signing:

Ends justify means
GREEN BAY – There were plenty of reasons for the Green Bay Packers decided to give Chad Clifton a three-year, $20 million deal and $7.5 million in guaranteed money on Friday evening. From his 10 years of dedicated service protecting the blind side of Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers to the Washington Redskins’ alleged interest, “The Big Clip” as he is nicknamed in the locker room was worth bringing back

That made retaining Clifton, despite his age and recent struggles with injuries, vital.

Had his dalliance with the Washington Redskins turned out to be more than just a negotiating ploy and the Packers had been forced to replace him, their options were limited: They could have promoted T.J. Lang or Allen Barbre, neither of whom is realistically ready for the job; they could have traded for a veteran who could provide short-term help; they could have tried signing one of the restricted free-agent tackles to a big-money deal, absorbing the loss of draft picks that would accompany such a move; or they would have been forced to use their first-round pick (No. 23) on a tackle or trade up to get one if the highest rated ones started coming off the board quickly on April 22.

These are just bits, but the rest can be read here:
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=2878&section_id=40&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

RockJock07
03-06-2010, 01:52 AM
Wasn't it confirmed by someone in the know that TJ Lang was guaranteed the RT position or at least he was named the starter.

A LT still needs to be taken at some point in the 1st 2 rounds IMO. To be honest, I could really care less who is at LT as long as they let Aaron get killed. One thing is apparent, the DL's in the NFCN are vastly better and richer today and that means that TT better have a plan for the OL.

I like Clifton back in the mix, now TT needs to pony up for Nick Collins. Get him signed and another solid draft I think things are fine.

TitleTown088
03-06-2010, 11:02 AM

After Rolle's contract the packers are going to need to save some of it for his contract. Damn you Giants.

Whistler6
03-06-2010, 11:08 AM
After Rolle's contract the packers are going to need to save some of it for his contract. Damn you Giants.

http://twitter.com/NickBarnett: Seeing all these safteys get money.. I wonder what Nick Collins will sign for!!??

TitleTown088
03-06-2010, 12:19 PM
I would have rather worried about signing Tauscher first.. Clifton's body is on the verge of a massive breakdown.. The guy was getting hurt constantly last year and at this point i wouldnt really count on the guy making it a full season anymore.

You'd rather be without a LT than a RT?

You'd rather sign a guy first who's on vacation in Australia than a guy who's out visiting other teams on the first day pf free agency?

PackerLegend
03-06-2010, 01:06 PM
You'd rather be without a LT than a RT?

You'd rather sign a guy first who's on vacation in Australia than a guy who's out visiting other teams on the first day pf free agency?

I want them both but Id pick Tauscher if I could only have 1. Clifton came out of like every single game he played in last year because he was hurt. When Clifton got hurt and missed some games last year and then came back did our line improve? What happened to our line when Tauscher showed up and started playing? It only improved greatly, I thought TJ Lang did fine filling in for Clifton but thats not who I want. Yes I know the importance of protecting the QBs blindside Im just worried that a guy who has jello knees wont last the season this year anymore anyways. I don't think he played that well last year either and was flagged a fair amount.

Favre4ever
03-06-2010, 02:21 PM
I want them both but Id pick Tauscher if I could only have 1. Clifton came out of like every single game he played in last year because he was hurt. When Clifton got hurt and missed some games last year and then came back did our line improve? What happened to our line when Tauscher showed up and started playing? It only improved greatly, I thought TJ Lang did fine filling in for Clifton but thats not who I want. Yes I know the importance of protecting the QBs blindside Im just worried that a guy who has jello knees wont last the season this year anymore anyways. I don't think he played that well last year either and was flagged a fair amount.

As much as Tauscher helped solidify our OLine, we have TJ Lang and Breno coming up to fill the RT spot. At LT, we have nobody and theres is no guarantee that a draft pick could step up right away so logically Clifton had to be re-signed. Now we go BPA with our first rounder which is what we want.

RyanBraun8
03-06-2010, 02:25 PM
We would spend it on a CB who is 26, so he is in his prime, and would add depth in a position we lack in. Jackson doesn't fit the sterotype you placed on this year FAs.

I'm not saying go out and spend money on 3 or more free agents, but instead i said 1.

Surely the Colts don’t think he will be effective after tearing his left ACL in a Nov. 2009 practice and his right ACL in an October 2008 practice.

Ha, yes 26 would be the prime for a typical player but sorry if I don't share your same optimism of a guy who has has torn both ACL's (the worst possible injury for a corner to come back from) in the last 2 seasons. I hope the best for him and that he can make it back after having his knee destroyed two straight seasons but chances are good he will never be near the same player. If we can get him cheap, TT go for it. Low base salary loaded with incentives.

Also i'd say he fits right in with the other FA's: old or beat up... 2 straight ACL tears is deserving of the beat up category.

RyanBraun8
03-06-2010, 02:36 PM

1.) Clifton hurt or not can play LT which is now the biggest need with the signing of Peppers, KVB, and that we still play Jared Allen twice. Tauscher can not.

2.)Our line sucked prior to Tauscher because Barbre had the worst footwork of maybe any OT in the NFL North. He made it very easy for guys to look good. He is a guard and it was a mistake to even try him out there.

3.) Lang is not not a LT, MM has even stated he did not feel Lang's future will be at LT

4) Clifton doesn't sign, we have no LT... at all! Like I said in 3 Lang is NOT a LT. Colledge was god aweful there last season. Yes, you could draft one at 23 but do you honestly believe that, Davis, Campbell or Brown are really going to come in right away and be able to block Peppers or Allen? They will little play toys for those 2 and Aaron will be on his back play after play after play.

5.) I love Tauscher, I do and I think it is dumb that they are not bringing him back (at least as of now) but no way in hell should have been our number 1 priority on the line.

Mr.Regular
03-06-2010, 02:56 PM
At least we have a backup plan at RT (Lang), at LT we had absolutely nothing. Signing Clifton was huge for us.

umphrey
03-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Going into last year with one LT on the roster was an epic fail. We better not do it again.

cvv84
03-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Going into last year with one LT on the roster was an epic fail. We better not do it again.

But you have to admit that carrying 3 FBs was a stroke of genius.

Whistler6
03-06-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm kind of reiterating much of what you all are saying, but resigning Clifton was a must. There is no way you can go into the season against Jared Allen, Peppers, VDB, and the others with only TJ Lang and Barbre as possible LT's.

This way they can still draft and develop without having to force an untested rookie into the lineup. Sexy? Maybe not, but they filled a need.

RockJock07
03-06-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm kind of reitterating much of what you all are saying, but resigning Clifton was a must. There is no way you can go into the season against Jared Allen, Peppers, VDB, and the others with only TJ Lang and Barbre as possible LT's.

This way they can still draft and develop without having to force an untested rookie into the lineup. Sexy? Maybe not, but they filled a need.

I agree, get a true LT and groom him to take over for Clifton. I'd really like Okung but I don't think that's going to happen.

umphrey
03-06-2010, 05:06 PM
I want Bulaga most of all. Vlad wouldn't be a bad option.

I'm trying to figure out why Scott moved Bruce Campbell down to 38 in his rankings after the combine. I don't know if I would want him anyway. He doesn't look like a tackle at all, he looks like he should be playing tight end or something. He's really boom or bust.

I'd be happy if we drafted any of these guys, excluding the sure fire top talents, favorites in bold:
Bryan Bulaga
Anthony Davis
Trent Williams
Vladmir Ducasse
CJ Spiller
Jahvid Best
Earl Thomas
Mike Iupati
Sergio Kindle
Maurkice Pouncey
Golden Tate
Kyle Wilson
Bruce Campbell
Taylor Mays

I thought that we had to draft an OT in the first 2 rounds but I don't know if the talent lines up with where we pick. We also have Clifton on a 3 year deal now and Lang as our supposed RT so we could get by with just a backup for a few years. I think that opens the door for Iupati or Pouncey. Iupati is a beast, there is no way he busts, and replacing Colledge with him would do amazing things for our running game. Pouncey would bring some stability to the line by putting a franchise center in the middle of it. A running back would really help our return game and cut down on sacks giving Rodgers a decent outlet and help Grant last longer.

umphrey
03-06-2010, 05:41 PM
You know what would be awesome? If another team signed Colledge and we got the 2nd round pick in return.

cvv84
03-06-2010, 06:02 PM
You know what would be awesome? If another team signed Colledge and we got the 2nd round pick in return.

Or even Spitz. I like Spitz but if we could get a draft pick for him and then draft Iupati. Don't see anyone moving though.

Whistler6
03-06-2010, 06:02 PM

Don't you dare get me excited like that!

TitleTown088
03-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Don't you dare get me excited like that!

Rumor is there has been some interest, no word on how serious. I sure wouldn't give up a 2nd for him if I were a GM.

J-Mike88
03-06-2010, 09:18 PM
I want Bulaga most of all.

I really think Lang's skillset is just as good as Bulaga, and I think they both have the same shortish arms dont they?

I'm definitely not sold on Bulaga as a LT in the NFL. I think he's a shadow of the last superhyped Hawkeye LT, Robert Gallery. He was much more dominant, and had longer arms I believe. He was forced to move to guard in Oakland.

I hope someone else takes Bulaga, but maybe that's just me?

Whistler6
03-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Rumor is there has been some interest, no word on how serious. I sure wouldn't give up a 2nd for him if I were a GM.

But then again there was a team out there willing to sign Ahmad Carroll. Seriously though, I root for Colledge. I loved the draft pick and he seems to work hard at his "craft", but he simply hasn't been good enough.

Morton
03-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Question for Packer fans: How do you feel about Aaron Rodgers' health prospects next year now that the Bears now have Julius Peppers, the Vikings have Jared Allen, and the Lions signed Kyle VandenBosch?

Would it be safe to say that OT is a priority in the first round of the draft this year for the Packers?

GB12
03-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Want some news that'll make you say "what"?

Browns | May be interested in Flynn
Comment (0)
Sat, 06 Mar 2010 14:35:07 -0800
Mary Kay Cabot, of The Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns may be interested in acquiring Green Bay Packers QB Matt Flynn, according to a source.

jackalope
03-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Want some news that'll make you say "what"?

Browns | May be interested in Flynn
Comment (0)
Sat, 06 Mar 2010 14:35:07 -0800
Mary Kay Cabot, of The Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns may be interested in acquiring Green Bay Packers QB Matt Flynn, according to a source.

What?

roidrunner
03-07-2010, 12:01 AM
wonder what we could get for Flynn

Whistler6
03-07-2010, 12:03 AM
...A bag of footballs.

Good to see Kampman was signed in the AFC, and we won't have to worry about him in the NFC North. Good luck to him, and I'm going to miss that bullrush.

cvv84
03-07-2010, 12:21 AM
wonder what we could get for Flynn

Probably a conditional pick. He's our top backup so it wouldn't really be benifical to trade him with nobody else really in the wings. Interesting though that Cleveland could be interested in him.

RyanBraun8
03-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Question for Packer fans: How do you feel about Aaron Rodgers' health prospects next year now that the Bears now have Julius Peppers, the Vikings have Jared Allen, and the Lions signed Kyle VandenBosch?

Would it be safe to say that OT is a priority in the first round of the draft this year for the Packers?

Not worried and it is no more of a priority than SS,OLB,CB. Chad Clifton if healthy can handle any DE in the league and has for 10 years.

If we are going OL in the first round here is what I feel:

Line Overview
-Okung, Bulaga will be gone in top 15
-Iupati also should be gone if any team is smart.
- Campbell and Brown is nowhere near being ready for playing time this season and need a season to adjust.
-Davis is kinda lazy, raw and I don't feel he is capable of offering to much this season

Best line options in 1 rd

1) If 22 teams are dumb enough to pass on Iupati...Thank you geniuses, Welcome Rivera/Wahle 2.0 (Iupati/Sitton)

---If gone

2)Trent Williams is best option if available at OT IMO. Thing is he is capable of playing right away at RT giving us another option if Lang isn't working out. He can play a few seasons at RT and when the time comes he may be able to take over for Clifton. If not he have a fixture at RT and can just pick another guy down the road. He appears to have the athletic ability to move over once he works on his footwork a little bit more.

--- If both Iupati and Williams gone

3) Trade down to late first or early 2nd and draft Center M. Pouncney. Seems to be one of the most NFL ready OL in the draft. Spitz was a rather effective LG a few years ago and can slide back over.

TitleTown088
03-07-2010, 03:13 AM
Best of luck to Kampman. Too bad it didn't work out. A good football player and an even better person.

umphrey
03-07-2010, 03:45 AM
We'll get a 4th or if we're lucky a 3rd in compensation out of him. That's probably why he didn't get tagged and traded like Corey Williams. Not worth the risk that he signs the tender, takes the cash, then nobody wants to trade for and pay him - just to up the compensation by a round at best.

Whistler6
03-07-2010, 10:59 AM
On compensation for Kampman:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/10563/on-green-bays-compensation-for-kampman

Kampman, as you might know by now, reportedly agreed to terms (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/10021/kampman-to-jax-alters-plan-at-no-10) on a multiyear contract with Jacksonville late Saturday night. The direct answer to the question is no: The Packers will get no direct compensation because Kampman was an unrestricted free agent. However, many of you are wondering why the Packers didn't position themselves to receive something considering how inevitable his departure was.

First, as @PackerPapaPete and others pointed out in response, Kampman's departure could help the Packers receive a compensatory pick in the 2011 draft. It's impossible to know what round that pick will be in -- the compensatory formula takes into account the comings and goings of all free agents and their performances the following season -- but it could be anywhere from the third to seventh round.

cvv84
03-07-2010, 11:02 AM
the compensatory formula takes into account the comings and goings of all free agents and their performances the following season

Which is what I think alot of people STILL don't understand. You don't just get a pick for losing a player, its the formula that calculates the pick you get.

Just saw this little nugget too:

UPDATE: According to reporting done by Tom Silverstein, the Packers could still get a compensatory as high as the third round next year for losing Kampman, provided he plays well.

While Kampman is 30 -- a little-known league rule put the ceiling of a comp pick at the fifth round for a player that age -- he has less than 10 years experience. Player needs to be 30 and have at least 10 years experience to cap the compensatory pick at a fifth-rounder.

roidrunner
03-07-2010, 12:14 PM
saw this on Rotoworld and i thought about the packers. It does not speak of us directly but would this be an option that the packers would consider?

After assigning him just a first-round tender, the Ravens are believed to be willing to move restricted free agent LT Jared Gaither.
Gaither would've gotten the first- and third-round tender if the Ravens were truly intent on keeping him. The Ravens want to move Michael Oher to left tackle. The Baltimore Sun suggests four possible destinations for Gaither: San Francisco, Indianapolis, Dallas, and Seattle. Teams targeting Gaither could probably work out a deal for less than the first-round pick.

cvv84
03-07-2010, 12:39 PM
saw this on Rotoworld and i thought about the packers. It does not speak of us directly but would this be an option that the packers would consider?

After assigning him just a first-round tender, the Ravens are believed to be willing to move restricted free agent LT Jared Gaither.
Gaither would've gotten the first- and third-round tender if the Ravens were truly intent on keeping him. The Ravens want to move Michael Oher to left tackle. The Baltimore Sun suggests four possible destinations for Gaither: San Francisco, Indianapolis, Dallas, and Seattle. Teams targeting Gaither could probably work out a deal for less than the first-round pick.

I was just going to mention this as well. I'd give up a 2nd round pick for him. Young, athletic, and can play either tackle position.

roidrunner
03-07-2010, 12:45 PM
thats my thinking as well, i could do a second or even a second and fourth next year

bearsfan_51
03-07-2010, 01:05 PM
There's no way in hell you get Gaither for a late 2nd round pick. C'mon.....

cvv84
03-07-2010, 01:07 PM
There's no way in hell you get Gaither for a late 2nd round pick. C'mon.....

You're right, seeing you guys got Gaines "pass rush proven" Adams for a high 2nd rounder...

bearsfan_51
03-07-2010, 01:09 PM
*Scratches head*

Go ahead and try to explain that.

I'm guessing I just made your vagina hurt by disagreeing with you, so the first thing you thought of was Gaines Adams, but I'll concede that somewhere in there is the possibility of logical thought.

cvv84
03-07-2010, 01:27 PM
*Scratches head*

Go ahead and try to explain that.

I'm guessing I just made your vagina hurt by disagreeing with you, so the first thing you thought of was Gaines Adams, but I'll concede that somewhere in there is the possibility of logical thought.

Whats to explain? If a team is willing to offer up a high pick on a bust then you're right in saying we couldn't get a proven player for a lesser pick. No sand needed, just logic.

jackalope
03-07-2010, 01:29 PM
I'd love to have Gaither, and I actually would have given up our first for him, but I don't think it makes much sense with us resigning Clifton for three years. It wouldn't make sense to have Clifton or Gaither sitting on the bench. Also, Baltimore would have to be pretty dumb to give up a proven 23 year old left tackle for less than a first.

cvv84
03-07-2010, 01:37 PM
I'd love to have Gaither, and I actually would have given up our first for him, but I don't think it makes much sense with us resigning Clifton for three years. It wouldn't make sense to have Clifton or Gaither sitting on the bench. Also, Baltimore would have to be pretty dumb to give up a proven 23 year old left tackle for less than a first.

Gaither can play RT as well so nobody would be sitting on the bench. Balitmore seems like they don't want to spend all their money on the offensive line. They have 1st round picks invested in Oher and Grubbs. Marshal Yanda is due a nice pay raise after this season and Grubbs will be coming up shortly after that. Gaither will also command a nice contract after he's done with restricted free agency so I guess they'd figure to move him instead of paying him top dollar to play a less premium position at right tackle.

TitleTown088
03-07-2010, 01:41 PM
BF51 in here arguing with packer fans. Feels like the good ol' days.

jackalope
03-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Gaither can play RT as well so nobody would be sitting on the bench. Balitmore seems like they don't want to spend all their money on the offensive line. They have 1st round picks invested in Oher and Grubbs. Marshal Yanda is due a nice pay raise after this season and Grubbs will be coming up shortly after that. Gaither will also command a nice contract after he's done with restricted free agency so I guess they'd figure to move him instead of paying him top dollar to play a less premium position at right tackle.

If that's the case then I say get him. Immediate upgrade to the line and gives us a left tackle of the future. That said, I'd be surprised to see us make a move for him.

bearsfan_51
03-07-2010, 01:46 PM
It's not that the Ravens wouldn't trade Gaither, I think they'd like to as well, but they could do better than the 56th pick.

roidrunner
03-07-2010, 01:54 PM
i would be ok with a second that could turn into a first depending on ow he plays.

umphrey
03-07-2010, 01:56 PM
I'd jump all over a first for Gaither, pending a background check. Probably even bid higher if he really has no red flags. I guess the draft would be less entertaining but Gaither is miles ahead of the LTs that are going to be there at 23 and about the same age but with NFL experience.

TitleTown088
03-07-2010, 01:57 PM
i would be ok with a second that could turn into a first depending on ow he plays.

So you're assuming it would be next year's 2nd...? That would be valued at a dang near a 3rd. They could surely do better than that.

Boston
03-07-2010, 01:57 PM
It's not that the Ravens wouldn't trade Gaither, I think they'd like to as well, but they could do better than the 56th pick.

http://www.dollymix.tv/wicked%20witch%20of%20the%20west.jpg

I hope the speculation isn't causing you to melt.

roidrunner
03-07-2010, 02:00 PM
So you're assuming it would be next year's 2nd...? That would be valued at a dang near a 3rd. They could surely do better than that.

but seeing as how he has played in the past it is basically a first. I would also be ok with throwing in another pick. maybe a fourth this year or something like that

bearsfan_51
03-07-2010, 02:02 PM
What's with the lame insults today?

Absolute worst case scenario is that the Ravens keep Gaither and lose him next year. Considering he's a quality starting left tackle, they would be almost assured to get a 3rd round compensation for him. So, again, absolute worst case scenario you get:

-A full year of having a quality starting offensive tackle at a low price + late 3rd round pick

Or you could trade that for the 56th pick in the draft. And that's assuming that the Packers are the only team interested (and according to media reports, they aren't even among the top 4 teams already interested).

It's only speculation to the degree that I don't actually work in the NFL, but common sense says you're dreaming.

Boston
03-07-2010, 02:06 PM

Absolute worst case scenario is that the Ravens keep Gaither and lose him next year. Considering he's a quality starting left tackle, they would be almost assured to get a 3rd round compensation for him. So, again, absolute worst case scenario you get:

-A full year of having a quality starting offensive tackle at a low price + late 3rd round pick

Or you could trade that for the 56th pick in the draft. And that's assuming that the Packers are the only team interested (and according to media reports, they aren't even among the top 4 teams already interested).

It's only speculation to the degree that I don't actually work in the NFL, but common sense says you're dreaming.

Settle down, of course we're dreaming. When you have one of the worst lines in the league, you're naturally going to fantasize over getting players like Gaither for only a low second round pick.

GB12
03-07-2010, 02:28 PM
I'd sign Gaither to an offer sheet in a second. I know it won't happen, but Im not exactly sure why. Gaither is definitely worth our first. He is much better than any tackle we could get at 23.

Whistler6
03-07-2010, 02:34 PM

Haha come on man. You pulled out the sandy vagina comment. I just happened in on this coversation, and personally I think a bit of emotion adds to it.

You're right it is all just speculation. But it all boils down to a team's talent evaluators and those pulling the trigger on certain moves. Do I think Gaither will be traded for a 2nd round pick? No, but I don't at all think it's a "dream" to believe the Ravens would give him up for that price. I am atleast.

Especially after seeing some of the big names move for what they have so far this offseason, mainly Boldin. And none of us have anything against a Bears fan, we are just trying to kid ourselves into believing the Peppers signing won't bring some hurt to our franchise QB. I am atleast.

I would jump all over Gaither for a 2nd rounder or possibly a 1st depending on who is available...

RyanBraun8
03-07-2010, 02:47 PM
I highly doubt that Baltimore will complain about grabbing the 23rd pick in the seconds seeing how they lost their 3rd and 4th round pick already this year. Realistically, not many teams are going to go out and trade first round picks for players unless they are franchise players like a Cutler (well at least when he was on a decent team who had a line and WR's) Gaithers is not as of right now a "franchise" player. If he does get traded it in almost all certainty be a 2nd round. I don't get why you are so nieve to believe that the Ravens would not trade him for the 55th pick and a future comp pick in 2011 based on performance. (2-4th)

BREAKDOWN
-pretty sure if they don't care enough to put a 1-3rd tender on him means they don't care if he plays for them next season

-this season they now do not have a 3rd or 4th rd pick but still need plenty more depth on their roster.

-They could recieve a 2nd pick and in most likely hood a future comp pick for 2011

-Recently two highly regarded players were traded for far less than the 55th and a future comp
-Anquan Boldin for a later 3rd and 4th rd pick
-Cromartie for a late 3rd

sounds fair to me

bearsfan_51
03-07-2010, 02:55 PM
If he does get traded it in almost all certainty be a 2nd round. I don't get why you are so nieve to believe that the Ravens would not trade him for the 55th pick and a future comp pick in 2011 based on performance. (2-4th)
Hehe...you did a dumb thing.

-pretty sure if they don't care enough to put a 1-3rd tender on him means they don't care if he plays for them next season
Or, they want someone to either give them a 1st round for him, or set their price. But yeah, I'm sure they would love to give their 24 year old starting left tackle away.

-this season they now do not have a 3rd or 4th rd pick but still need plenty more depth on their roster.
So they will trade him for a quality return. You honestly think the Packers are the only team that would like to have Gaither?

-They could recieve a 2nd pick and in most likely hood a future comp pick for 2011
Except, of course, that's not at all how comp picks work. I'm guessing you mean a performance-based pick, which is not the same thing.

Also, "likely hood"?? Seriously!?!!?

-Recently two highly regarded players were traded for far less than the 55th and a future comp
-Anquan Boldin for a later 3rd and 4th rd pick
-Cromartie for a late 3rd
Highly regarded by fans, perhaps, but not in reality. Cromartie hasn't been a good player for years. Boldin is 29 years old, plays a position with much less demand, and is slow. Yeah, that may be stupid, but look at the fact that Boldin got 10 million guaranteed, now consider the fact that Nate Burleson got 11 million guaranteed. Slow wide receivers don't generate much demand, even really good ones. 24 year old stating left tackles? Yeah....

sounds fair to me
Well, you're wrong.

Jim Jim
03-07-2010, 02:57 PM
I hate when we discuss unrealistic things.

And I also hate all the Bruce Campbell talk. Thompson isn't going to draft a workout warrior with awful game tape. It just doesn't happen. If anything, he drafts players that have solid tape and average workout numbers.

RyanBraun8
03-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Haha come on man. You pulled out the sandy vagina comment. I just happened in on this coversation, and personally I think a bit of emotion adds to it.

You're right it is all just speculation. But it all boils down to a team's talent evaluators and those pulling the trigger on certain moves. Do I think Gaither will be traded for a 2nd round pick? No, but I don't at all think it's a "dream" to believe the Ravens would give him up for that price. I am atleast.

Especially after seeing some of the big names move for what they have so far this offseason, mainly Boldin. And none of us have anything against a Bears fan, we are just trying to kid ourselves into believing the Peppers signing won't bring some hurt to our franchise QB. I am atleast.

I would jump all over Gaither for a 2nd rounder or possibly a 1st depending on who is available...

Ogenleye was suppose to bring some hurt to us also... never happened.

I will say that I am still 100% more scared of us facing Jared Allen twice a year than Peppers. Allen may not have the size or athletic ability of Peppers but his motor never stops and he plays with much more heart and passion. The guy is crazy and will never stop coming after you. If you get physical with Peppers and get him fustrated he shuts down. Not saying Clifton will get that done but at least it is a possibility

Whistler6
03-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Adewale Ogunleye is not comparable to Julius Peppers. It's denial if we think Peppers won't have a major impact this season against the Packers. Yes he shuts it down at times, but he also abuses lesser tackles like it's nobody's business.

I do think the Bears will regret shelling out $42 million guaranteed to Peppers, and I have faith Green Bay can neutralize his game to an extent. But he has also had some big time plays against the Packers in the past. Will Peppers and his $20 million 2010 have the same endless motor that Jared Allen consistenly does? That's yet to be seen, but he is an athletic freak.

------------------

And from BearsFan posts above, there is no reason to attack someone's grammar. We aren't English professors here. I come on NFLDC to step out of the demands of college for a time each day. Leave the spelling errors alone..We get your point, which is an opinion. Opinions differ.

cvv84
03-07-2010, 03:18 PM
I hate when we discuss unrealistic things.

And I also hate all the Bruce Campbell talk. Thompson isn't going to draft a workout warrior with awful game tape. It just doesn't happen. If anything, he drafts players that have solid tape and average workout numbers.

I wouldn't really call a Gaither trade unrealistic. To the Packers is unlikely but seeing our need at OT I don't really think you can rule it out as a possibility if he is indeed on the block.

In reguards to Campbell, who thought that Thompson would draft an injured DT with little to no game tape?

TitleTown088
03-07-2010, 04:04 PM
So they will trade him for a quality return. You honestly think the Packers are the only team that would like to have Gaither?

To be fair its not like good, experienced, young LTs are at a premium.

Jim Jim
03-07-2010, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't really call a Gaither trade unrealistic. To the Packers is unlikely but seeing our need at OT I don't really think you can rule it out as a possibility if he is indeed on the block.

In reguards to Campbell, who thought that Thompson would draft an injured DT with little to no game tape?

What are you talking about? Justin Harrell had plenty of game tape. He even played hurt in a championship game. If anything, it was that grit that probably played a factor in his being drafted.

YoungGeezy
03-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Hey, Whats up everyone? I've been a reader for awhile and finally decided to sign up with draft time right around the corner! A few things with the Gaither idea fom Bearsfan post

First

Hehe...you did a dumb thing.

aww thats cute, I haven't seen someone write Hehe since I was in 7th grade on AIM... It was usually was to symbolize when the girl was giggling, but I guess your bring it back ;) nice job. It is great to see that you are SO open to others opinions, but when your always right it is hard not to right?

Now that is said....

I do agree with you on these points

Or, they want someone to either give them a 1st round for him, or set their price. But yeah, I'm sure they would love to give their 24 year old starting left tackle away..

That most definately what they are doing...they have no reason to trade him unless they get the right price. It is win-win. they get him a little cheaper with the 1st rd tender and it brings other teams to the door. But the mere fact they want to bring people to the door in the first place for a future franchise LT gives me questions of how high they really are on him.

So they will trade him for a quality return. You honestly think the Packers are the only team that would like to have Gaither?.
Of course not, who wouldn't want a proven 24 year old LT? But not sure if all of them will be willing to trade a 1st rd pick for him. A second is probably the best they will get with a future performance base compensation pick. My guess that would have to be a 2nd or 3rd next season.

Things I disagree with:

Also, "likely hood"?? Seriously!?!!?.

Yes, it is Likelihood, we get it their champ. Oh I mean RyanBraun8 do you not have a brain for not typing everything perfect in a fanforum?!?! Seriously, how dare you not act like this is a college assignment or a business letter. Bearsfan_51, really? We get that your intelligence is far superior than any Ole' Beer Drinking Wisconsiner (or is it Wisconsinite... ummm, well I'll let Bearsfan call me out for what it's called) but you really do not have to call people out for it. I'm sure you spell words wrong once in awhile, it happens, humans do make mistakes.

Well, you're wrong

Wow, I guess Ignorance truely is bliss. If your opinions are always right in your mind, you never have to worry about anything! You are incredible individual for having the right to tell someone they are wrong about something you truely and utterly have not a clue about. Do you work in the Packers Front Office? Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe so. Do you work for the Ravens, I'm guessing not. So while I agree with you more than RyanBraun8 on this, the truth is we truely don't have a clue nor the right to tell someone they are wrong. You know the game of football and maybe more than me or anyone else on this forum but everything you say is opinion like everyone else. That makes you equally wrong.

I hope I didn't do a "dumb thing" or offend you at all, not my intention at all.

But hey in fairness to you, the Bears have made some nice moves now and if they could now get a decent offensive line and some WR's they should be a contending team within the next few seasons.

YoungGeezy
03-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Ogenleye was suppose to bring some hurt to us also... never happened.

I will say that I am still 100% more scared of us facing Jared Allen twice a year than Peppers. Allen may not have the size or athletic ability of Peppers but his motor never stops and he plays with much more heart and passion. The guy is crazy and will never stop coming after you. If you get physical with Peppers and get him fustrated he shuts down. Not saying Clifton will get that done but at least it is a possibility

Agree with the part that Peppers can take himself out of games but he is a natural freak. Allen's motor is sensational but Peppers, the guy can flat out play, when he wants to.

jackalope
03-07-2010, 04:40 PM
BF51 is right, if Gaither is moved, it'll be for more than the 55th pick.

TitleTown088
03-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Welcome to the board YoungGeezy. Always nice to have new packer members.

YoungGeezy
03-07-2010, 04:45 PM
What are you talking about? Justin Harrell had plenty of game tape. He even played hurt in a championship game. If anything, it was that grit that probably played a factor in his being drafted.

Yeah I have to agree with Jim Jim on this. Harrell had ton of tape and he was a very good prospect outside of his injuries. He played in 32 games starting 22. He was considered at possible top 10 pick if he would have came out after his junior year.

I hated the pick because we were already loaded on the D-Line and was banged up all his senior season. His workouts where nothing that stood out or would earn the title of "workout warrior." My bet would be that he was drafted based off his great tape from his sophomore and junior seasons

bearsfan_51
03-07-2010, 05:00 PM
You are incredible individual for having the right to tell someone they are wrong about something you truely and utterly have not a clue about. Do you work in the Packers Front Office? Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe so. Do you work for the Ravens, I'm guessing not. So while I agree with you more than RyanBraun8 on this, the truth is we truely don't have a clue nor the right to tell someone they are wrong.You know the game of football and maybe more than me or anyone else on this forum but everything you say is opinion like everyone else. That makes you equally wrong.
********. Some ideas are simply dumb or unrealistic. Not all opinions are created equal. You can say I'm a conceited prick about things like spelling and basic English (and I would respond that the lack thereof indicates a broader lack of minimal intelligence). However, to say that all opinions are equally valid unless they come directly from the NFL is absurd.

Fine. Aaron Rodgers is going to throw 40 interceptions next year, come out of the closet, and the Packers are going to move to Duluth. You may disagree, but these are simply opinions, and who is to say which is more valid?

EDIT: In fairness, I've been wrong plenty on here, so I'm not claiming any superiority, only refuting the notion that all ideas are created equal.

But hey in fairness to you, the Bears have made some nice moves now and if they could now get a decent offensive line and some WR's they should be a contending team within the next few seasons.
Actually, this isn't in fairness to me, since we've already established that I don't work in the NFL, so it would be rather dumb to take credit for anything the Bears have done. You could say, "in fairness to you, you're a ruggedly handsome man." And of course, you would be correct. :)

TitleTown088
03-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Ha, interesting you would suggest Duluth. Ever been?

bearsfan_51
03-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Yeah, loved it.

YoungGeezy
03-07-2010, 05:06 PM

In most likelihood yeah I would agree but a trade is about much more than where the pick is in the second. Say if the lions would trade their 34th pick to the Ravens for Gaither and the Packers would trade 55th pick and a performance comp not season of a 2nd or 3rd.

Do you take the pick that is 21 higher with nothing else or do you take the pick that is 21 later but offers another (former draft style) 1st day pick? Depends what you really want to do or who you are.

If TT was GM of the Ravens my guess is he would take the extra pick. If you look at this draft, it is pretty good and deep. The talent you get at 34 may not be to far off from what you would get at 55. I mean sure their is a difference but you are still going to be in a good position to get a very talented player. Plus you may get another 2nd next year.

In the end, it is fantasy and doubt it will ever happen but who knows

umphrey
03-07-2010, 05:06 PM

Obviously. If they are serious about trading Gaither, I'd have to expect us to be first in line with an offer sheet of our #1 in our hands. Unless they don't think Gaither fits, or they fool themselves into thinking Clifton can really play for 3 more years. This is actually one of the most realistic trades I've heard about the Packers in years. They set their price at a #1, and Gaither is easily worth that to us, especially considering the circumstances.

Ted Thompson will draft workout warrior types when the 3rd round comes, not before. You look back at our drafts, all our picks in the first 2 rounds produced in college, measurables ranged from average to very good, intangibles were high. Then there is always at least 1 really raw player after that. Jermichael Finley, Allen Barbre, Aaron Rouse, Mike Hawkins (CB), and others, but always after the second round.

YoungGeezy
03-07-2010, 05:25 PM
********. Some ideas are simply dumb or unrealistic. Not all opinions are created equal. You can say I'm a conceited prick about things like spelling and basic English (and I would respond that the lack thereof indicates a broader lack of minimal intelligence). However, to say that all opinions are valid unless they come directly from the NFL is absurd

Fine. Aaron Rodgers is going to throw 40 interceptions next year, come out of the closet, and the Packers are going to move to Duluth. You may disagree, but these are simply opinions, and who is to say which is more valid?.

ha, I'll give those to you. Just standing up for my fellow Packer fans. I personally prefer proper english also. Plus that was a dumb open ended comment I made with the about if you don't work for the NFL you don't know. More of the point was no of us really know what the hell they are think and all we can do is speculate.

Did you go to school at Duluth?

TitleTown088
03-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Yeah, loved it.

Nice. That's where I'm currently residing.

Whistler6
03-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Yeah I have to agree with Jim Jim on this. Harrell had ton of tape and he was a very good prospect outside of his injuries. He played in 32 games starting 22. He was considered at possible top 10 pick if he would have came out after his junior year.

I hated the pick because we were already loaded on the D-Line and was banged up all his senior season. His workouts where nothing that stood out or would earn the title of "workout warrior." My bet would be that he was drafted based off his great tape from his sophomore and junior seasons

I think what he meant was there wasn't a single minute of game tape from his senior season because of the injury. Yeah you can take plenty away from Junior year and prior to it, but a lot can change in a full year of zero football.

I'd rather not discuss Harrell anymore. It hurts my heart to recall the first round of that draft.

Whistler6
03-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Nice. That's where I'm currently residing.

Have you been to Black Bear Casino around there? My ex-girlfriend used to go to UMD, and whenever I trekked up to visit her stopping at the Black Bear became a must. It's nothing special compared to some places, but I like the small-town feel to it. Duluth is awesome.

cvv84
03-07-2010, 07:47 PM

Read the original post on Gaither. It said that he could be probably be moved for less and that teams like the Cowboys and Colts could be interested. Thats 2 teams that pick right around where we're at. Obviously it would take more to pry him, that should go without saying.

cvv84
03-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Michael C.Wright of the Florida Times-Union reports that Kampman inked a four-year deal worth $26 million, with $11 million guaranteed.

As Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com points out, the deal matches the package received by new Lions defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch.

Good for Kampman. Hopefully it works out for both parties.

TitleTown088
03-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Have you been to Black Bear Casino around there? My ex-girlfriend used to go to UMD, and whenever I trekked up to visit her stopping at the Black Bear became a must. It's nothing special compared to some places, but I like the small-town feel to it. Duluth is awesome.
Yep. They actually renovated, well more like rebuilt, black bear recently. Fun place to go blow some money.

Whistler6
03-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Yep. They actually renovated, well more like rebuilt, black bear recently. Fun place to go blow some money.

Nice. It's been a few years since I've been, but mainly I remember signing up as a member just for the free-play money. Blew it all on black jack in a span of 10 minutes, then attempted to rebound on the slots. I still have the card hanging on my key chain. Good times.

PACKmanN
03-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Read the original post on Gaither. It said that he could be probably be moved for less and that teams like the Cowboys and Colts could be interested. Thats 2 teams that pick right around where we're at. Obviously it would take more to pry him, that should go without saying.

I think we would have a better chance to actually get him then an AFC team just on the fact they wouldn't want to face him(even though he's a LT.)

J-Mike88
03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
THE FINAL PIECES TO THE PUZZLE?

This was a few months back, but I thought this was a great piece of work by Bob McGinn. I respect Bob more than any Packer writer:

As one looks to the future, the parallels between the present Packer personalities and situation and what they were in the mid-1990s would be impossible to miss.

The Packers entered the 1990s on a downturn stretching for almost 25 years. How the organization almost reinvented itself to get where it is today remains one of the great reclamation projects in league history.
These Packers, in many respects, are riding the coattails of those who turned a franchise many people shunned into one that many people now embrace. Today, it's easier for the people in charge, but yet the NFL has never been more competitive and a championship would be every bit the achievement.

In 1992 under new coach Mike Holmgren, the Packers improved slightly each year until they won it all in '96. They missed out on the playoffs on the final day in '92, split a pair of playoff games in '93 and '94 and lost in the NFC Championship Game in '95.

In chronological order, the Packers from 1993-'95 ranked 19th, ninth and seventh on offense; second, sixth and 14th on defense; and 17th, tied for third and 24th in turnover differential.

Holmgren's regular-season record in his first four seasons was 38-26.
In 2006 under first-year coach McCarthy, the Packers have ridden a roller coaster. They lost a playoff tiebreaker in 2006, were an overtime interception from making the Super Bowl in '07, sunk to 6-10 in '08 and went one-and-out this year.

In chronological order, the Packers from 2007-'09 ranked second, eighth and sixth on offense; 11th, 20th and second on defense; and tied for 10th, sixth and first in turnover differential.
McCarthy's regular-season record in his first four seasons is the same as Holmgren's: 38-26.

The architect, general manager Ron Wolf, turned 58 late in the 1996 season. Thompson, who was trained by Wolf, will be 58 two weeks before the 45th Super Bowl is played in Dallas next year.

Holmgren was 48 when he won the Super Bowl as a fifth-year coach. McCarthy will be 47 late next year as a fifth-year coach.

Fritz Shurmur, the defensive coordinator under Holmgren, marked his 17th season as a coordinator in '96 when he coached in his first Super Bowl. Capers, the defensive coordinator under McCarthy, will enter his 17th season in 2010 as either a head coach or coordinator as he tries to coach in his first Super Bowl.
Favre turned 27 that October and was in his sixth season when the Packers won the Super Bowl. Rodgers will turn 27 in December as he completes his sixth season.
Reggie White, the free-agent leader of Holmgren's defense, was 35 and in his 12th season when he raised the Lombardi Trophy. Charles Woodson, the free-agent leader of McCarthy's defense, will turn 34 in December as he finishes his 13th season.
How did the Packers move from 11-5 and a point differential of plus-90 in 1995 to 13-3 and a point differential of plus-246 in 1996 and onto the Super Bowl?
Five players from Wolf's great draft of 1995 - Craig Newsome, William Henderson, Brian Williams, Antonio Freeman and Adam Timmerman - emerged as outstanding players.

In 1996, Wolf either signed, claimed or traded for Desmond Howard, Santana Dotson, Eugene Robinson, Andre Rison, Bruce Wilkerson and Don Beebe. With every hole plugged and a slew of players elevating their games, the Packers became the first team since the 17-0 Miami Dolphins of 1972 to lead the NFL in points scored and points allowed. No team has done it again.
The Packers, whose overall power this season was perhaps best reflected by their second-place finish in point differential (plus-164), can ill afford another ride on the seesaw next season.
Thompson has put the Packers on the trail of the Super Bowl largely because he selected five players in his five drafts who already rank among the top 10 or better at their positions. It remains a game controlled by stars, and the Packers have drafted five under Thompson in places where their impact can be enormous.
Aaron Rodgers, the second quarterback in 2005. 
Nick Collins, the 12th defensive back in '05. 
Greg Jennings, the fourth wide receiver in '06. 
Jermichael Finley, the seventh tight end in '08. 
Clay Matthews, the seventh linebacker-pass rusher in '09. 
In time, all five might be perennial Pro Bowl players.

Frankly, the Packers just looked unstoppable a week ago as they battled from behind out of their spread offense, erasing that three-touchdown deficit with a marvelous passer firing lasers to marvelous receivers.
With the NFL game geared more and more toward victory by the best passing teams, the Packers are cutting-edge good with dynamic players and a coach more than just willing to cut it loose. What McCarthy hasn't been able to do is finish.

The defensive transition from 4-3 to 3-4 went smoother than many personnel men expected (especially against the run). Having said that, enabling the four best opposing quarterbacks on the schedule (Favre twice, Ben Roethlisberger, Kurt Warner) to shred the unit for a collective passer rating of 140.3 was beyond deplorable.

The Packers need more pass rushers, and if one of them isn't Aaron Kampman, they cannot just let him walk. They need more cover people, and with aging cornerbacks, the need is urgent.
More than anything, the Packers must draft a tackle able to replace Chad Clifton or Mark Tauscher soon.

Thompson and McCarthy shaped up the special teams in 2007 only to see them falter badly the past two seasons. There's no punter, there's no returner, there's maybe no kicker and penalties rum amok. Super Bowl caliber? Not even close.

The youngest team in the league grew up in the last year but, for its means, has accomplished almost nothing. But the ultimate accomplishment need not be that far off.

bigboiajhawk
03-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Nothing Packers related but here is a great quote from Antonio Cromartie, curtesy of SI.

Quote of the Week I

The Chargers traded cornerback Antonio Cromartie to the Jets last week.
Getty Images
"I have seven kids that live in five different states. I made some wrong decisions in my first two years in the league. Now I have to take on the responsibility of being a father to my kids. I can separate my personal life and off-the-field issues from football ... The mothers [and I] try to work out a schedule where I can see my kids. I talk to them on IChat and Skype. We try to find different ways for me to be in their lives, no matter how it is.''
-- Antonio Cromartie, traded from the Chargers to the Jets on Thursday night, on some of his off-the-field issues that spurred San Diego to jettison him.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/03/07/freeagency/2.html#ixzz0hbp282cs
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Do you think TT even considered him? Doubtful.

Boston
03-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Do you think anybody cares? Doubtful.

cvv84
03-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Do you think anybody cares? Doubtful.

The delusional fans who think we can get anybody and everybody do.

umphrey
03-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Just another reason he's worthless. Either he's a lying deadbeat dad or his football career will suffer. Why did anyone want us to trade for him?

Whistler6
03-08-2010, 03:21 PM
As soon as I found out he has 7 children with 6 different women, I completely lost all interest in the guy. He might be a great player, but there is abolutely no way he can put all his focus into his craft as a player while dealing with that kind of personal life...Especially at that age.

Whistler6
03-08-2010, 03:24 PM
THE FINAL PIECES TO THE PUZZLE?

This was a few months back, but I thought this was a great piece of work by Bob McGinn. I respect Bob more than any Packer writer:

McGinn is an insightful writer. He makes a lot of great points as well. Unfortunately with Kampman's injury, there was really no way we were going to get anything for him. Plus, I read this somewhere, if Green Bay had traded a healthy Kampman mideason too many fans might have viewed it has a "we're giving up" type of move.

There was really no other way this could have worked out. And the only thing we can do is wish him well, and hope to get some kind of compensatory pick in 2011.

J-Mike88
03-08-2010, 03:47 PM
When we made the move to a 3-4, everybody first thought about Kampman being like a fish out of water. To me, the move to a 3-4 meant this team was serious about building a championship caliber, aggressive defense. I actually expected them to deal Kampman last off-season.

Kampman spoke today:

On whether the Packers made him an offer

They did, but I think for me the better fit was down here. I think that the direction of that organization maybe didn’t include me as much as it had in the past. So I think it was the right time for me to make this transition.

On playing in the 3-4 with the Packers

I’ll just say this; I like to go forward. There are a lot of nuances at outside linebacker. I’m a guy who likes to work on his craft and hone it down to the minutest detail. I was doing seven-on-seven in practice rather than one-on-ones. Normally when I break down film I look at offensive tackles and I study them to the T, but (at outside linebacker) I had to break down receivers and running backs. It was a more difficult transition in that sense, and then just being out there in a two-point rather than a three-point stance; different launch angles and how you rush, where you load from, these type of things. So I’m excited to put my hand back on the ground; very excited. I have a fire burning to do that.

umphrey
03-08-2010, 04:57 PM
When we made the move to a 3-4, everybody first thought about Kampman being like a fish out of water. To me, the move to a 3-4 meant this team was serious about building a championship caliber, aggressive defense. I actually expected them to deal Kampman last off-season.

Kampman spoke today:

On whether the Packers made him an offer

They did, but I think for me the better fit was down here. I think that the direction of that organization maybe didnt include me as much as it had in the past. So I think it was the right time for me to make this transition.

On playing in the 3-4 with the Packers

Ill just say this; I like to go forward. There are a lot of nuances at outside linebacker. Im a guy who likes to work on his craft and hone it down to the minutest detail. I was doing seven-on-seven in practice rather than one-on-ones. Normally when I break down film I look at offensive tackles and I study them to the T, but (at outside linebacker) I had to break down receivers and running backs. It was a more difficult transition in that sense, and then just being out there in a two-point rather than a three-point stance; different launch angles and how you rush, where you load from, these type of things. So Im excited to put my hand back on the ground; very excited. I have a fire burning to do that.

Seems like he said exactly what was on his mind. Good guy, he didn't slam the decision makers for putting him out of position, but was honest about how much he hated linebacker and wanted into a 4-3.

J-Mike88
03-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Seems like he said exactly what was on his mind. Good guy, he didn't slam the decision makers for putting him out of position, but was honest about how much he hated linebacker and wanted into a 4-3.
Exactly. Kampman is a good guy. That's the part that made it sad when we were switching to a 3-4, knowing really it was eliminating Kampman.

But truth be told, Kampman, IMHO, had already peaked in 2006-2007. We got the best he had to offer already. I don't think this is going to be like when we lost Bryce Paup and then he went to Buffalo and was the NFL DPOY.

Next question: what would each of your thoughts be on adding Joey Porter to help fill AK's shoes, and allow Brad Jones more time to learn the craft and to bulk up.
Porter has 32 sacks in his 3 seasons with the Dolphins, and he's 32. It would not be a long term thing, 2 years, and he'd be brought in to win now, with fellow 30-somethings Woodson, Harris, Driver, Clifton, Tauscher, Pickett. He still has the ability to get to QBs, and despite being an A-hole, he might add some intimidation to QBs like Farve and the other good ones who were very comfortable against us last year with the 140+ passer rating.

cvv84
03-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Please, make it stop!!!

J-Mike88
03-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Please, make it stop!!!
Put down the bottle then, take a couple aspirin, and take a nap!!!

J-Mike88
03-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Bargain Basement FA's....

Realistically, we all know TT's MO. He's not going to bid & win any expensive free agents. He actually tried to last year on Chris Canty, luckily for us Canty was another guy who didn't want to come to Green Bay.

But I think TT will bring in one or two lesser-known FA's.
Anyone able to come up with a potential list of CB's, OT's, OLB's, or S's along the lines of guys like Frank Walker, Anthony Smith, Brandon Chillar, Derrick Martin(trade), and guys like that who might be good fits?

The draft isn't til late next month, so I can't think of anything else to speculate on for us right now.

TitleTown088
03-08-2010, 07:42 PM

But I think TT will bring in one or two lesser-known FA's.
Anyone able to come up with a potential list of CB's, OT's, OLB's, or S's along the lines of guys like Frank Walker, Anthony Smith, Brandon Chillar, Derrick Martin(trade), and guys like that who might be good fits?

William G ay has been someone the Packers have been rumored to be interested in ( from some less than creditable sites). I think he was tendered for a 5th.

YoungGeezy
03-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Yeah, not feeling Joey Porter. I'm going to have to bust the the saying out, "he's not a Green Bay Guy" I rather have Brad Jones who doesn't feel the need to be a thug or run his mouth week after week just to get attention. Jones will speak with his pads and play hard every play... Joey is to worried what he is going to tell reporters after the game.

I'll agree with CVV84, lets look at realistics here. So in TT's case lets just look at the draft or the below the radar bargains that will still be around for awhile.

cuzifelt1ikeit
03-08-2010, 11:15 PM
id much rather say hello to thomas howard then the dbag joey porter. and thats even if we say hello to anyone at all

i take it back. i didnt know he got tendered at a second round pick

umphrey
03-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Like I've been saying, we shouldn't and won't bring in a OLB unless he fits the defense and our team like a glove. Why would Brad Jones need time? He has 3 years college experience in the 3-4 and half a year starting in the NFL (during which he definitely held his own). He has to add weight, but 10 pounds...I've gained 8 in one day. OK that was all fat, food, and liquid weight but my point being that isn't hard to do during the long NFL offseason. He's young and he's got the frame to do it and he'll be playing at pretty much ideal weight for a 3-4 OLB at ~250 lbs.

cuzifelt1ikeit
03-09-2010, 12:48 AM
if/when adalius thomas gets the axe is when we look at an OLB in free agency i think. we had a lot of interest in him last year or maybe it was the year before i dont remember exactly. so im not sure why it would change now

Like I've been saying, we shouldn't and won't bring in a OLB unless he fits the defense and our team like a glove. Why would Brad Jones need time? He has 3 years college experience in the 3-4 and half a year starting in the NFL (during which he definitely held his own). He has to add weight, but 10 pounds...I've gained 8 in one day. OK that was all fat, food, and liquid weight but my point being that isn't hard to do during the long NFL offseason. He's young and he's got the frame to do it and he'll be playing at pretty much ideal weight for a 3-4 OLB at ~250 lbs.

exactly. we have a couple of projects on our team right now. between thompson, obiorzor (sp) and jones im sure they feel confident with one of these players if we dont get anyone big

J-Mike88
03-09-2010, 07:13 AM
...I've gained 8 in one day. OK that was all fat, food, and liquid weight but....
Wwow nice.... McDonald's or Burger King? Hat Trick of Double Whoppers wtih Fries, washed down by 2 Oreo shakes?

princefielder28
03-09-2010, 08:41 AM
someone brought up adaluis thomas a possibility if he's released, i think he'd go straight to new york and play for rex ryan again so i don't think he's much of an option at all.

J-Mike88
03-09-2010, 08:44 AM
someone brought up adaluis thomas a possibility if he's released, i think he'd go straight to new york and play for rex ryan again so i don't think he's much of an option at all.
I think so too. Reunited with Rex and with Bart Scott, his old teammate in Baltimore. If they did bring in Adalius, what do you think they're gonna do with Vernon Gholston? Isn't it now 3 years of nothing but bust city? Man, #2 overall pick, he's done less than Harrell has. Still, they were able to make it to the AFC title game, and that coming a year after they totally revamped things going to Farve, and then to the rookie Sanchez.

Would anyone here give up anything to bring Gholston in to work with Kevin Greene?

princefielder28
03-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Gholston was going to be a failed experiement immediately when he was drafted to stand up and play in a 3-4. He needs to find a 4-3 team where he can line up and use his blend of strength and speed off the edge. I don't ever remember hearing through the draft process where scouts saw Gholston having pretty good hips and had the potential to be a decent coverage guy when asked to.

princefielder28
03-09-2010, 11:26 AM
couple of notes....

Packers re-signed restricted free agent FS Nick Collins to a one-year, $3.3495 million contract

Packers LT Chad Clifton's new three-year contract is front-loaded and will be easy to cut ties with after the 2010 season.

J-Mike88
03-09-2010, 11:43 AM
couple of notes....
Packers re-signed restricted free agent FS Nick Collins to a one-year, $3.3495 million contract
Man, I wonder why they can't hammer out a long term deal still with NC36.
I suspect Nick's agent is asking for the moon, or suspect he wouldn't mind departing as a FA who wins a lottery from someone else, a la Antrel Rolle last week. I wouldn't trade Collins for Rolle.

TitleTown088
03-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Man, I wonder why they can't hammer out a long term deal still with NC36.
I suspect Nick's agent is asking for the moon, or suspect he wouldn't mind departing as a FA who wins a lottery from someone else, a la Antrel Rolle last week. I wouldn't trade Collins for Rolle.
His contract isn't going to be easy. After the Rolle deal they're likely asking a lot.

umphrey
03-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Collins is so awesome. He signed his tender with absolutely nothing to gain except a pass to offseason workouts and money/negotiation leverage to lose. Lock him up today!

Wwow nice.... McDonald's or Burger King? Hat Trick of Double Whoppers wtih Fries, washed down by 2 Oreo shakes?

I wrestled freshman year in high school. Hated it, didn't know what I was getting into. On my birthday I was running laps and not eating much to make weight in the morning, then that night we went out for a steak dinner and I was 8 pounds heavier when I weighed myself the next day (same scale).

tjsunstein
03-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Nick Collins is just another reason why drafting high character guys pays off.

YoungGeezy
03-09-2010, 06:59 PM
TT made his first big signing today! AFL2 Standout, WR/KR Charles Dillon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JO-jWe4G18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pExJ3zB_Pg&feature=related

In all honesty I think he has a great shot to make the 5 WR spot and is a pretty dynamic player. He was a standout basketball player in high school and JC before Washington State. From what I have read it sounds like he would have made the Colts if it wasn't an injury. Good build at 6'0 205 and is suppose to run in the 4.4's.

Worth a chance, good pick up TT

Whistler6
03-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Atleast we know Ted isn't dead.

Shahin
03-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Man you guys are screwing Nick Collins with that baby-sized contract. Better get him a better one.

cvv84
03-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Man you guys are screwing Nick Collins with that baby-sized contract. Better get him a better one.

Thanks, I'll have my people call his people and we'll get this thing done.

cvv84
03-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Packers will wear alternate jersey in 2010 (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/87174497.html)

A Packers team official confirmed Tuesday that the Packers will wear an alternate third jersey during the 2010 season to go with the normal home and road uniforms. The new jersey, expected to borrow from the franchise's long history, will be worn for at least one home game, the official said.

It is possible the jersey will be worn at another game, but a final decision has not yet been made.

The alternate jersey is expected to be unveiled on Friday at the Packers Fan Fest, which begins at 4 p.m. at the Lambeau Field Atrium.

The report of a third jersey first surfaced briefly in the Uni Watch blog, which tracks the comings and goings of logos and uniforms.

Rumor is that its going to be the old blue jersey's

TitleTown088
03-09-2010, 08:12 PM

Nick wouldn't have singed that tender if he didn't know the FO was going to work on giving him a long term deal.

Whistler6
03-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Nick wouldn't have singed that tender if he didn't know the FO was going to work on giving him a long term deal.

I really hope that is the case. I have a bad feeling in my gut that the longer and longer this drags on, the more Collins will begin to feel slighted. We have no clue what is going on behind the scenes. He's much more deserving of the deal Antrel Rolle got that Rolle himself is, but we'll have to see what happens.

Still, it's not like the guy is poor playing for 3+ million dollars this season. He's not Latrell Sprewell.

TitleTown088
03-09-2010, 10:00 PM
I really hope that is the case. I have a bad feeling in my gut that the longer and longer this drags on, the more Collins will begin to feel slighted. We have no clue what is going on behind the scenes. He's much more deserving of the deal Antrel Rolle got that Rolle himself is, but we'll have to see what happens.

Still, it's not like the guy is poor playing for 3+ million dollars this season. He's not Latrell Sprewell. If he's felling "slighted" he wouldn't have signed that tender. His agent said its a move of good faith, they know a contract is coming from the Packers soon enough.

Whistler6
03-09-2010, 10:17 PM
If he's felling "slighted" he wouldn't have signed that tender. His agent said its a move of good faith, they know a contract is coming from the Packers soon enough.

Yeah like I said, I hope that's the case... I made my comment before I read the article about him signing the tender.

"In what agent Alan Herman called a good faith gesture aimed at kindling negotiations toward a long-term contract, Nick Collins took himself off the free-agent market Tuesday by signing as one-year, $3.3 million qualifying offer."

Mr.Regular
03-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Theres not a huge rush to sign Collins... it'll get done. It'll be a complicated process I'm sure and since hes not on the open market theres no pressure to get it done as quick as possible.
I have faith Ted will get this done. Collins is one of his guys, and one of the best safeties in the league. He'd be crazy not to wrap him up long term.

Mr.Regular
03-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Teddy was at the Bama pro day.... Im thinking he was looking at Kareem Jackson.. He seems to be doing his homework on second round corners...

roidrunner
03-11-2010, 01:18 PM
i am starting to think that the packers might trade out of #23. It is just a gut feeling, but we all know how TT likes to trade down. And seeing as this is such a deep draft, it just makes it seem more likely that he will trade down. my thinking is that if Weatherspoon is there at 23 then the saints will come calling about our pick.

cvv84
03-11-2010, 02:44 PM
i am starting to think that the packers might trade out of #23. It is just a gut feeling, but we all know how TT likes to trade down. And seeing as this is such a deep draft, it just makes it seem more likely that he will trade down. my thinking is that if Weatherspoon is there at 23 then the saints will come calling about our pick.

Thompson has only traded down in the 1st round once with the Packers. This may be a deep draft but the cutoff for the elite players is around our pick. At some point you need to impact players instead of descent role players. We all saw the impact that Raji and Matthews gave us last year and I really wouldn't be suprised to see Thompson trade up from 23 to land an OT or CB.

Also there's draft discussion in like 3 different threads. Can we all just use the 1 thats made for the draft please? I tend to lose track of all the discussions going on in different threads.

TitleTown088
03-11-2010, 04:06 PM
In addition to the Browns and Saints, free agent Jake Delhomme is also expected to visit the Packers and Broncos.
The Packers could use a veteran to battle Matt Flynn for the No. 2, and Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy coached Delhomme in Carolina as QBs coach and passing game coordinator.

Delhomie in town?

Edit: apparently its a false report.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/87387542.html

J-Mike88
03-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Delhomie in town?
Edit: apparently its a false report.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/87387542.html
Good because he's terrrrrrible. Hands out Ints like the Easter Bunny does candy.

YoungGeezy
03-11-2010, 07:01 PM
I personally would trade down and grab the extra 2nd round pick with how deep the this draft is. Fill more holes with better players. Unless one of these guys are sitting their for us which is a good possiblity. (I tried to stay realistic so Bulaga as of now is a no...I had to put one guy in though because he is the best 3-4 OLB and the next Ware or Merriman)

-no order-
Trent Williams- Will bring great depth at the OT spot. I think he is much like Oher in the fact that he could play LT but it is best to break him in at RT. He could be an above average future LT but a maybe a Pro Bowler at RT

Earl Thomas- Need secondary help? Maybe a back up for Collins or Bigby if they get hurt, or maybe a guy who could play the Nickle, or maybe a guy who a CB. Well Earl is all of those. Not idea size but the guy is a flat out player. You can put him anywhere and he will make plays.

Iupati- No Brainer in my opinion if they want a dominate running game like back in the Rivera/ Wahles days.

Brandon Graham- Short arms, may struggle to get off blocks at next level but great character, incredible motor, and plays with heart. He appears to have that Jard Allen, Aaron Kampman type attitude, and every play he is going balls to the wall.

Derrick Morgan! He is the one player I would personally trade up for outside of Haden. Guy is the non roided Merriman. I highly highly doubt he will be there but some people project us with Bulaga and Kindle who on many sites are rated above Morgan

What about Davis and Campbell? Taylor Mays and Wison? Spiller?

Davis- If I am goin to invest into a future LT I would prefer a guy who is not a lazy ass. Last thing we need is for him to take a play off against Peppers and us losing A-Rod. I'm not big on character issue guys in the first when we are filing a need. If we were in a position to draft a luxury stud I wouldn't mind because if they bust it wouldn't be the end of the world. If you draft a guy to be you franchise LT for the next 10 years and bust because of these character issues it would suck.

Campbell will be really good.... SOMEDAY. Not this season, next year maybe start to come around, 3rd year may be the real deal. He is a guy who needs time to develop kind of like Breno (but much better of a prospect). If we draft a 1st round OT, we need a guy like a Buluga or Williams that have the ability to come in and at least compete for the RT position and be able to play LT if Clifton got hurt.

Mays- Big, check. Fast check. Lay a huge hit, check. Good tackler, nope. Ball skills, nope. Good in the box, nope. Good in coverage, nope. So he is big and fast with the ability to lay the knock out blow but he is an inconsistent tackling, gets pushed around in the box, struggles to locate ball, and struggles when matched up man on man. I think he will improve and has the chance to be a great player but there is just so much he needs to improve upon.

Wilson, 23 is to high, he is undersized for our scheme and that is about it. I like him but not at 23, trade back a little bit.

I would not be mad at all if we took Spiller or traded back a bit a took Best. Just not something that is a need really. Could always go McKnight or McCluster

cvv84
03-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Apparently I was asking for too much :)

J-Mike88
03-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Apparently I was asking for too much :)
We have DRAFT DISCUSSION THREAD.
We have a MOCK DRAFT thread (more specific than just general draft talk).
And we have this THREAD, which is everything else.

I think that's what you meant right cvv?

Mr.Regular
03-12-2010, 04:51 PM
http://www.wfrv.com/news/local/story/EXCLUSIVE-Packers-reveal-new-retro-jersey/r8qjtyFTJ0-NsFGhfBZnqg.cspx

Check out the 'new' retro jersey here.... I dunno... pretty ugly. There's a reason they got rid of these in the 20's haha...

Mr.Regular
03-12-2010, 04:59 PM
http://img638.yfrog.com/img638/5527/maxk.jpg
Better picture here.

PACKmanN
03-12-2010, 05:22 PM
http://img638.yfrog.com/img638/5527/maxk.jpg
Better picture here.

looks like they killed batman and threw him on the jersey.

Packystan
03-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Haha, wow, those uni's are pretty horrendous. Good thing they only plan on wearing these for one game. Funny thing though is that they're still gonna sell like hot cakes. You just wont catch me rockin' one.

Packystan
03-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Nick Collins just signed a 3 year extension worth 23.4 million.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/87522497.html

WOOOOOOOOOOT!!

jackalope
03-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Nick Collins just signed a 3 year extension worth 23.4 million.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/87522497.html

WOOOOOOOOOOT!!

Awesome. That one year deal worried me a little. I thought that might have been a sign they weren't going to get something long term done.

cvv84
03-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Awesome. That one year deal worried me a little. I thought that might have been a sign they weren't going to get something long term done.

He was a restricted free agent so the "1 year deal" meant that he signed his tender.

Jim Jim
03-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Pickett signs extension through 2013, I believe.

Packystan
03-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Ted's been busy today. Looks like we locked up Pickett long term as well.

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2010/03/12/2/

Also great news. Our D-Line should be pretty set for a while.

cvv84
03-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Pickett signs extension through 2013, I believe.

@Adam_Schefter Packers have signed NT Ryan Pickett to a long-term contract extension through the 2013 season.

TT was busy again behind the scenes. Nice to have these 2 guys locked up for a few more years.

GB12
03-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Nice. Collins and Pickett signed on the same day.

Also I think the jerseys would be really nice except for the horrible number part. I like the colors of the socks, pants and jersey, if it had more normal numbers I think they'd look pretty cool. Is there a better view of the helmet?

EDIT: Notice whose jersey they chose. You can't fight the power.

J-Mike88
03-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Great news on Collins & Pickett.
Losing Kampman was the correct guy among them to let get away, although you would have liked to have traded AK last year when even most of we fans were pretty sure he wasn't going to fit too well in Dom's system.

I hate those jerseys. But I still like the idea.

Hey, anyone watching American Idol this year?
I think the guy Lee looks a lot like a shorter version of AGOD. http://www.americanidol.com/videos/season_9/performances/lee_dewyze_chasing_cars/

J-Mike88
03-12-2010, 07:50 PM
I saw a photo of DeNiro as Lombardi. I love DeNiro, but not sure how well he can pull off Vince. The look similarity isn't there for me.

But this was, Jerry Stiller as Vince... who remembers this?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7xH8AN8g14

Whistler6
03-12-2010, 10:04 PM
I love the throwbacks. They remind me of some of the mid-1990's games, especially the one where Favre dove headlong for the TD after about a 20 yard run. I couldn't find a picture though, ugh.

Locking up Collins makes me a happy man. It's a good day.

Whistler6
03-12-2010, 10:17 PM
These bad boys:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kDQ_gSyMf7U/SQs7XHdq9ZI/AAAAAAAAAQQ/d61bHZ3rDrU/s400/tback_Halloween_Ruettgers.jpg

Jim Jim
03-13-2010, 09:13 AM
MM said at Fan Fest that Tauscher was probably "not too far off" from returning to the Packers.

This may kill the nonsense of the highly overrated Bruce Campbell being the pick at #23.

princefielder28
03-13-2010, 10:12 AM
MM said at Fan Fest that Tauscher was probably "not too far off" from returning to the Packers.

This may kill the nonsense of the highly overrated Bruce Campbell being the pick at #23.

Whether the Packers re-sign Tauscher or not, it really will have no influence on whether or not the Packers target someone like Bruce Campbell early in the draft. With the way that Clifton's contract is structured, it appears that the team would prefer to have him for one year while developing his replacement during the 2010 season, and that replacement isn't on the roster yet so that means we're looking towards the draft.

Jim Jim
03-13-2010, 10:28 AM
I understand that. But a lot of the justification for mockers is that GB absolutely has to have a OT at #23. It just isn't the case. Campbell is going to bust quicker than a hefty water balloon. He's not the type of player Thompson drafts anyway.

And TJ Lang could very well end up playing LT.

princefielder28
03-13-2010, 10:33 AM
I understand that. But a lot of the justification for mockers is that GB absolutely has to have a OT at #23. It just isn't the case. Campbell is going to bust quicker than a hefty water balloon. He's not the type of player Thompson drafts anyway.

I don't want Campbell either. He's got the game tape of a mid to late round pick, but the physical tools of a Top 5 player; not very proven.

The team has stated this off-season that TJ Lang's fit is at RT, so the potential for him at LT has sailed.

Mr.Regular
03-13-2010, 10:34 AM

They seem to be moving Lang to RT...and no matter where he ends up, we will have a hole at one tackle spot.
I think its far fetched to think Clifton and Tauscher have more then one year left. We theoretically have a replacement ready at RT, but a replacement at LT is a must. I think it's our biggest need.
Unless a player like Haden, Spiller, or maybe Graham falls to 23 I think it only makes sense to draft the LT of the future. We cant really put it off any longer.

roidrunner
03-13-2010, 10:45 AM
we need to go younger at the tackle position, that is a must. But unless one of the tackles falls to us i dont think we will take one in round one. I am starting to think that maybe a CB in round one where we will go. After the game against the cards it was pretty obvious that it was our need. I agree that it seems that the management is moving Lang to RT, which i personally think it a more natural position for him. So we have a need for a LT.

PACKmanN
03-13-2010, 11:01 AM
TT like to have o-linemen who can play more then one position; everyone of the linemen he has ever drafted, or ever brought in from FA, could play 2 or more spots on the line.

IMO, if he is there, Mike Iupati could be the pick due the fact he can play LG, RG, and RT. If not, I see TT taking Jared Odrick.

roidrunner
03-13-2010, 11:26 AM
i have never really thought of it like that, but you are completely right. hopefully we get Iuputi. I really like him as a player and think he could be an all pro guard, when all is said and done.

Favre4ever
03-13-2010, 11:52 AM
If we sign Tauscher, I dont see us getting a OT in the first round unless Davis, Williams or Bulaga would magically fall to us. CB is a position of need but not many first rounders worthy this year unless Haden falls to us. OLB is also needed but outside of Morgan who's probably the only worthy guy to me of a first rounder, even though i like Graham a lot, but its unlikely to happen. SS is a need, Berry will be taken early which leaves Earl Thomas. Will he be available?

Ya'll know what that means, i smell a trade down. Do ya'll think AJ Hawk will be back? Could we get a good draft pick for him?

roidrunner
03-13-2010, 11:59 AM
i could see a trade down happen, but at the same time i could see a trade up happening. I mean you said it best there are people that we could use but it seems more and more unlikely that they will fall to us.

Whistler6
03-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Depending on who is available at #23 and as long as it's not Bruce Campbell, I would still consider an offensive lineman. Tauscher and Clifton could fold at any second, and they need to develop T's for the future. I suppose a lot of that depends on how much value they place in Lang. I don't believe he has the skill to be a mainstay LT.

I'm very much satisfied with the resignings this offseason by TT, but I'd be lying if I said wasn't atleast a little disappointed he hasn't even scheduled a single FA visit...That any of us know of atleast. The Draft should be intriguing. I can definitely see some moves made either up or down.

PACKmanN
03-13-2010, 12:11 PM
i have never really thought of it like that, but you are completely right. hopefully we get Iuputi. I really like him as a player and think he could be an all pro guard, when all is said and done.

If TT doesn't land one of the top OTs in the class, or Iuputi, then i can see him go after Fox in round two. Let him develop as a LT, or RT for a year. IMO, I see the Packers having Fox and Iuputi high on their draft broad, just like when I thought they like Lang last year(yeah, i had to.)

I just hope TT doesn't like Brown.

YoungGeezy
03-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Wow....spechless

Really there are no words that could describe how atrocious those uniforms are.

Pretty excited about the Pickett and Collins signing and I guess Tauscher is next in line!

Mr.Regular
03-13-2010, 12:43 PM
If TT doesn't land one of the top OTs in the class, or Iuputi, then i can see him go after Fox in round two. Let him develop as a LT, or RT for a year. IMO, I see the Packers having Fox and Iuputi high on their draft broad, just like when I thought they like Lang last year(yeah, i had to.)

I just hope TT doesn't like Brown.
Noooo why don't people like Brown? I don't get it.
Is it because he went to USC? Do people assume he's overrated?
He had a phenomenal year...one of the best OLinemen in the country last year. His pass protection is superb. He is the prototypical LT of the ZBS..his runblocking isn't the best but it is better then given credit for. Hes great at the second level and on plays like sweeps and tosses he can be quite effective. He is very, very similar to D'Brickashaw Ferguson as a prospect. He is extremely athletic...I don't see why he would be a bad pick at 23? I'd be ecstatic.

cvv84
03-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Noooo why don't people like Brown? I don't get it.
Is it because he went to USC? Do people assume he's overrated?
He had a phenomenal year...one of the best OLinemen in the country last year. His pass protection is superb. He is the prototypical LT of the ZBS..his runblocking isn't the best but it is better then given credit for. Hes great at the second level and on plays like sweeps and tosses he can be quite effective. He is very, very similar to D'Brickashaw Ferguson as a prospect. He is extremely athletic...I don't see why he would be a bad pick at 23? I'd be ecstatic.

I don't like that he's a former TE who converted to OT and I also hate the ZBS. I don't believe in drafting undersized/lean offensive lineman with premium picks. At least when Denver drafted Ryan Clady he had the ability to play in either scheme. I don't see Brown being able to do that. He looks like a guy who's going to always have to rely on being a technician because he doesn't have the brute strength to move people. And he's raw as a technician...

Mr.Regular
03-13-2010, 01:16 PM
I understand the reasoning you have. I just love Brown as a prospect, especially in our system. His pass protection could be considered the best of anyones in the draft.
I think Brown is a guy you could throw on the outside on an island against a passrusher and be very comfortable. His tape sure shows he can do it. You're right in that he'll probably never be a mauler and he won't overpower too many people, but he's got the feet, athleticism, lateral movement to be a franchise pass protector and I feel his tape proves he should be quite effective on a wide variety of running plays.
I know many people are scared because he is relatively light, and he seems to be a one trick pony (ZBS)... but he's pretty much prototypical size for the position and as a LT, I think he offers everything we are looking for.

I seem to be going in circles though! People seem to either love or hate the guy. I respect where you're coming from, all your concerns are valid...I just feel he's worth the high pick. I know many people don't...
Am I the only Packers fan on here who wants him though?

cvv84
03-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Am I the only Packers fan on here who wants him though?

Its not that I would upset with the pick, its just that I think he's one of those guys who are riskier than you're typical 1st round pick. I view Bruce Campbell in the same light but I also view him to have higher potential and the ability to play in our version of the ZBS.

J-Mike88
03-13-2010, 08:41 PM
A lot of people have been asking me about arm length when talking about OT's:
Without good arm length, generally considered at least 33 inches on the left side and preferably 34 inches, it is difficult for blockers to be able to handle inside counters and recover quickly to keep a pocket clean.

PFW calculated the average arm length of every starting left tackle in the NFL last season, and it was 34 inches.

Arm Length:
TJ Lang- 32 3/4
Sebastian Vollmer- 33 1/4
Ryan Clady- 36 3/4
Phil Loadholt- 36 1/2
Jared Gaither- 36
D'Brickashaw- 36 1/4
Jake Long -35 3/4
Marcus McNeil- 35 1/2
Bryant McKinnie- 35 1/2
Andre Smith- 35
Jamon Meredith- 34
Eugene Monroe- 33 7/8
Joe Thomas- 33 3/4
Jason Smith- 33 3/4
Michael Oher- 33 1/2
Chad Clifton- 33
Donald Penn- 33

*Bruce Campbell- 36 1/4
*Charles Brown- 35 1/4
*Anthony Davis- 34
*Brian Bulaga- 33 1/4
*Jared Veldheer- 33

Veldheer is 6-8, and his arms are only 1/4 of an inch longer than TJ.
Bulaga's aren't much better.

Here's a nice short ready on this at the NFLP: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Measuring-up-height-vs-arm-length.html

cvv84
03-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Hard to take stock in that if they're saying that T.J. Lang, Phil Loadholt, Andre Smith, and Jamon Meredith were starting left tackles last year. Not to mention only putting names to 17 players in a 32 team league.

J-Mike88
03-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Hard to take stock in that if they're saying that T.J. Lang, Phil Loadholt, Andre Smith, and Jamon Meredith were starting left tackles last year. Not to mention only putting names to 17 players in a 32 team league.
LOL... I added some other OT's of note (RT's), just to show what their length is.
Look at how long some of them are, my goodness.

Whistler6
03-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Jason Wilde just tweeted that Green Bay has resgined Mark Tausher to a 2-year deal. Good news. It's definitely clear that TT believes he has a team right now that can contend for a Superbowl. He wouldn't be devoting this amount of up front money to in-house guys if he didn't.

http://twitter.com/jasonjwilde -- It's a 2-year deal for Tauscher. About to post to @ESPNMilwaukee (http://twitter.com/ESPNMilwaukee), @1005ESPNMadison (http://twitter.com/1005ESPNMadison). Congrats to one of the good guys.

roidrunner
03-14-2010, 12:10 AM
That is great to hear.

Whistler6
03-14-2010, 01:17 AM
Jason Wilde just tweeted that Green Bay has resgined Mark Tausher to a 2-year deal. Good news. It's definitely clear that TT believes he has a team right now that can contend for a Superbowl. He wouldn't be devoting this amount of up front money to in-house guys if he didn't.

http://twitter.com/jasonjwilde -- It's a 2-year deal for Tauscher. About to post to @ESPNMilwaukee (http://twitter.com/ESPNMilwaukee), @1005ESPNMadison (http://twitter.com/1005ESPNMadison). Congrats to one of the good guys.

Here's Wilde's follow up column on the signing. Details on the 2-year deal aren't shown yet, but I'm interested to see how much he's going to get. As well as he played last season, I'm looking forward to see him play now 16 months removed from ACL surgery.

Tauscher was inactive for the Packers’ Oct. 18 and Oct. 25 games and suited up but did not play Nov. 1 against Minnesota before returning to action Nov. 8 at Tampa Bay. He started that game, then missed the Nov. 15 victory over Dallas with a mild sprain of the MCL (which he’d also torn when he tore his ACL last year) before starting the final seven games. The Packers allowed just 10 sacks in those seven games after giving up 41 in the first nine games of the year, with Allen Barbre starting the first seven of those.

...Just another reason resigning both Tausch and Clifton should be looked at as good moves. I definitely think this opens up pick #23 and a possible best player available selection.

Here's the rest of the article:
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=2976&section_id=40

cvv84
03-14-2010, 11:00 AM
This is turing out to be a great offseason for us. We've got Nick Collins locked up, Pickett will be back for at least another year while we have Raji in the wings, and both our 2009 starting OTs are back. Couldn't really ask for much more at this point. 11-5 with no major free agent leaving town. If we draft well we should be able to maintain our success.

Pack_Attack_4
03-14-2010, 01:02 PM
This is turing out to be a great offseason for us. We've got Nick Collins locked up, Pickett will be back for at least another year while we have Raji in the wings, and both our 2009 starting OTs are back. Couldn't really ask for much more at this point. 11-5 with no major free agent leaving town. If we draft well we should be able to maintain our success.

Im thinkin superbowl as long as we draft a CB and a OLB in the 1st 2 rounds i think will be in dallas next feb

princefielder28
03-14-2010, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't classify this as a great off-season so far. We've given extensions to Collins and Pickett (very important, no doubt) and given contracts to our two aging tackles. We are in the same spot as we were to end the season and to this point we have yet to address any of our holes. Now I know the draft is where we'll look to address the OL, OLB, CB and S conerns with this team, but to expect big time contributions out of those rookies, especially enough to get us a to Super Bowl level, is probably a little too high. I guess what I'm saying is that we haven't created or filled any of our major holes, so how can the off-season be considered a big time success to this point?

cvv84
03-14-2010, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't classify this as a great off-season so far. We've given extensions to Collins and Pickett (very important, no doubt) and given contracts to our two aging tackles. We are in the same spot as we were to end the season and to this point we have yet to address any of our holes. Now I know the draft is where we'll look to address the OL, OLB, CB and S conerns with this team, but to expect big time contributions out of those rookies, especially enough to get us a to Super Bowl level, is probably a little too high. I guess what I'm saying is that we haven't created or filled any of our major holes, so how can the off-season be considered a big time success to this point?

We went 11-5 last year and we're going to have the same core group of guys returning this season. Add in a new rookie class and improvement from last years rookie class is going to be a big addition. Yes we're in the same position as last season but we're also in position to improve that same team via the draft. We didn't take a step back like in previous years which consitutes a success for a team that doesn't dip in free agency much.

Im thinkin superbowl as long as we draft a CB and a OLB in the 1st 2 rounds i think will be in dallas next feb

See thats where I disagree. Just because you draft needs early doesn't mean thats going to solve your problem areas. Its a whole new season and ALOT can still happen.

J-Mike88
03-14-2010, 01:49 PM
That's a good point WhistlingDixie.
Hopefully, in my opinion, he acts the same way brining in one or two fair-priced free agents later in the period that can help with trying to cover somebody in the middle of the field unlike what happened in Arizona, or an added boost in pass rush. That will make the draft even more free to just go with the best player regardless of position.

Bring on the draft, Teddy's ready baby!!

cvv84
03-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Packers scouting college basketball prospect (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/14/packers-scouting-college-basketball-prospect/)

The folks in the Green Bay Packers' front office are keeping a close eye on college basketball. And not just because they're filling out their brackets for the office pool.

The Packers are also watching college basketball because they're scouting a player, Tyrone Lewis of Niagara University, who they think may have a promising NFL career.

Lewis is a 5-foot-10, 180-pounder described as a great college player who's too small for the NBA. He told the Niagara Gazette that he'd love to prove the people who think he's too small for the NBA wrong, but that if he can't, he's got a pre-draft workout lined up with the Packers.

"Basketball is still the first option, but now that I have another opportunity, I'm going to go after it, and I'm going to train hard for both," Lewis said. "I'm excited, but I'm not going to get too excited until after the workout."

In high school Lewis was a cornerback, wide receiver and kick returner.

Seems like TT is really trying to boost the return game this offseason.

RockJock07
03-14-2010, 07:51 PM

I would agree. I think TT is gearing up for some interesting moves in the draft. Do the signings of Clifton and Tausher mean that TT won't take a OT in round 1?

TT has to draft for need this year, CB and OT MUST be addressed and like you said, those guys must come in a produce right away in some fashion.

umphrey
03-14-2010, 08:11 PM
All we really need out of this draft is depth for the secondary. I'd be jumping for joy if we drafted Iupati. Clifton-Iupati-Wells-Sitton-Tauscher is actually a pretty good line. If Clifton and Tausch start the season healthy (and on the team, in Tausch's case) I would have to think they'd play better than last year. In the interior Iupati and Sitton would make stud guards that would lock up our interior for 8 years. Then the best part - Lang as a LT/RT backup and Spitz as a G/C backup means we are covered for any injury on the line with a quality player.

GB12
03-14-2010, 08:16 PM
I think the majority of Packer fans are far too comfortable with Clifton and Tauscher. They'll be 34 and 33 respectively next season and they certainly showed signs of declining last year.

umphrey
03-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Don't get me wrong, they are definitely breaking down. I thought last year they were done. They need to be replaced as soon as possible but where the team is right now we probably won't be in a good position to add a tackle except maybe the second round or later because of the talent tiers in the draft. Nothing in free agency, I would love to give our first for Gaither but I don't see that happening after signing Clifton and Tauscher. So for this season I'd rather shoot for the stars and look for players that are going to help our superbowl run.

I don't think I wrote exactly what I was thinking before. In this draft we do need to bring in a tackle prospect. But he isn't someone we would need to rely on too much. To win games this year we need better 3rd and 4th CBs and the rest of the team is pretty much set.

Now that I think of it, add KR/PR and a punter to that list. Kapinos is flat out embarrassingly bad. Please draft McCluster because he'd be a good value. He would give us our return man, create an opening at CB (we can cut Blackmon), bring a skillset to our RB group that isn't there (and would really help Rodgers as a checkdown when he's getting stormed), and motion him out to receiver which is something McCarthy likes to do.

cvv84
03-14-2010, 08:28 PM
I would agree. I think TT is gearing up for some interesting moves in the draft. Do the signings of Clifton and Tausher mean that TT won't take a OT in round 1?

TT has to draft for need this year, CB and OT MUST be addressed and like you said, those guys must come in a produce right away in some fashion.

So retaining your 2 starting offensive tackles isn't a big deal? Just imagine our offensive line without Clifton. Yes we still need someone of the future but how many left tackles are out there on the free agent market? How quickly would a rookie left tackle adjust to the NFL? Keeping these guys lets us develop the future of the position.

I think the majority of Packer fans are far too comfortable with Clifton and Tauscher. They'll be 34 and 33 respectively next season and they certainly showed signs of declining last year.

I completely disagree. I don't think anyone is comfortable with them as they know they are our best options at this point.

Whistler6
03-14-2010, 09:07 PM
I completely disagree. I don't think anyone is comfortable with them as they know they are our best options at this point.

Exactly. What's the other option? Let them walk and depend on Lang and Allen Barbre? That is scary. Bring back the tandem that allowed 10 sacks in the last 7 games, and develop younguns for the future.

RyanBraun8
03-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Exactly. What's the other option? Let them walk and depend on Lang and Allen Barbre? That is scary. Bring back the tandem that allowed 10 sacks in the last 7 games, and develop younguns for the future.

Agreed, no rush to revamp the line. We have 2 Tackles that have 20 years worth of starts between the two of them. Am I comfortable with just them? No, not at all but it is the best option and much better option over having say Campbell starting LT and Lang RT. Do we still need an OT in the first? Depends, it is still a need but I think it is going to have to be a guy they really want who may have luckly feel to them such as a Bulaga or Williams.

PACKmanN
03-14-2010, 11:37 PM
If TT doesn't draft a LT this year, then we could see him push hard for a LT in FA next year. Two of the best LTs will be free agents.

cuzifelt1ikeit
03-15-2010, 12:12 AM
how come everyone thinks wells will be the center over spitz? im a bigger fan of spitz personally.. just curious. they went with spitz over wells last year

GB12
03-15-2010, 12:15 AM
how come everyone thinks wells will be the center over spitz? im a bigger fan of spitz personally.. just curious. they went with spitz over wells last year

From what's currently on the roster

Clifton-Spitz-Wells-Sitton-Tauscher

Zycho32
03-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Those helmets on the alternate uni look purely brown... y'know, what the leather helmets were colored like back in the 20's. It's a classic example of why certain throwbacks have major difficulty trandscending historical changes in equipment.

That said, I find it to be a better 'throwback' than what the team brought out for the '94 season.

RyanBraun8
03-15-2010, 02:26 AM
From what's currently on the roster

Clifton-Spitz-Wells-Sitton-Tauscher

I personally rather see Clifton-Lang-Spitz-Sitton-Tauscher

or

Clifton- Iupati- Spitz- Sitton- Tauscher :)
-could always hope

umphrey
03-15-2010, 05:41 AM
I'd rather make Lang a RT and not screw with him. Draft a LG maybe, or play Spitz or Colledge there if they have to (I'd rather they didn't). I like the idea of Spitz as a capable backup for all 3 interior spots and Lang a backup for both end spots. That's 7 OL, we usually keep 9 I believe, so keep the best 2 out of Barbre/Giacomini/Dietrich-Smith/draft pick/UDFA.

Favre4ever
03-15-2010, 06:13 AM
LT is the only real need for us on the OL IMO. We're pretty much covered everywhere except there. Spitz can play G and C, Lang can play G, RT and LT if needed, we'll see this year if project Breno can play in this league (personally, i think so) and Barbre's future should be at Guard where he can do what he does best, maul people. When healthy, this line proved that they could be very good so i'm not concerned really. However Clifton needs a replacement and it will probably be adressed early in this draft.

J-Mike88
03-15-2010, 08:06 AM

My guess is simply "production".
The media tells us in the off-season that Spitz is the man, that Wells is "too small", but when the games are all done, we see that Wells gets the job done.
Our leaks came off the edges. He's smart, solid, savvy, reminds me of Frank Winters. People say he's small. He's almost average size for a center.

Plus he's more durable so far that Spitz. If Spitz can put together back to back seasons healthy, I bet things will change.

PACKmanN
03-15-2010, 03:47 PM
LT is the only real need for us on the OL IMO. We're pretty much covered everywhere except there. Spitz can play G and C, Lang can play G, RT and LT if needed, we'll see this year if project Breno can play in this league (personally, i think so) and Barbre's future should be at Guard where he can do what he does best, maul people. When healthy, this line proved that they could be very good so i'm not concerned really. However Clifton needs a replacement and it will probably be adressed early in this draft.

If Geno could not beat Barbre at RT, which is his second best position, then he will not be a starter in this league.

cvv84
03-15-2010, 05:14 PM
If Geno could not beat Barbre at RT, which is his second best position, then he will not be a starter in this league.

Geno needs to stay healthy.