PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84

cvv84
04-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Don't group the rest of them with you, they don't deserve that.
In fact, you are the only one who every single time I say anything not positive, you reply with the little popularity rep deduction! That's hilariously childish.

These other guys may disagree with things, but most of them them act like men, not girls and they can carry on debates without the little pop points.
So don't insult them and put you in their category.

When I'm getting +rep on my responses to you I think that speaks volumes to how people feel about you. Your act is getting old.

Boston
04-21-2010, 09:43 PM
I've had him ignored for months...

cvv84
04-21-2010, 09:44 PM
I've had him ignored for months...

Good idea. Back to the Pack discussion :)

Whistler6
04-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Don't group the rest of them with you, they don't deserve that.
In fact, you are the only one who every single time I say anything not positive, you reply with the little popularity rep deduction! That's hilariously childish.

These other guys may disagree with things, but most of them them act like men, not girls and they can carry on debates without the little pop points.
So don't insult them and put you in their category.

Really? Come on, man. We don't need to argue over fantasy rep points.

Easy guys...It must just be pre-draft jitters, but hug out it b****. Come tomorrow, we are all going to have to combine our passion for either praising or bashing TT for his 1st round move(s).

Anyone watch The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights on Spike? The guy fighting right now looks exactly like Nick Barnett with that fro.

Whistler6
04-21-2010, 10:01 PM
+Rep to all for an 8-0 Brewers blowout win, the Bucks being back in the playoffs, and the NFL draft "getting it on" in Primetime tomorrow night.

J-Mike88
04-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Really? Come on, man. We don't need to argue over fantasy rep points.
No kidding Whistler.
What kind of a man feels the urge to neg-rep every time I say anything that's not 100% positive of the *** GM? The visual I am getting is Adam Lambert, but maybe that's being too kind?

Mr.Regular
04-21-2010, 10:08 PM
People, people, lets not argue here! Its draft day!
Who cares about a dumb argument, just put it aside. Instead of bickering, just ignore it and put together some solid posts.

PS anyone notice Bigby and Quinn Johnson have gotten twitter now too? A lot of our players are jumping on the twitter wagon.

Whistler6
04-21-2010, 10:20 PM
No kidding Whistler.
What kind of a man feels the urge to neg-rep every time I say anything that's not 100% positive of the *** GM? The visual I am getting is Adam Lambert, but maybe that's being too kind?

I was talking to both of you. Who gives a **** about rep. It's, not, real.

Whistler6
04-21-2010, 10:23 PM
People, people, lets not argue here! Its draft day!
Who cares about a dumb argument, just put it aside. Instead of bickering, just ignore it and put together some solid posts.

PS anyone notice Bigby and Quinn Johnson have gotten twitter now too? A lot of our players are jumping on the twitter wagon.

AaronRodgers12 (http://twitter.com/AaronRodgers12): Ahh bear fans RT @baseheadtim (http://twitter.com/baseheadtim) @AaronRodgers12 (http://twitter.com/AaronRodgers12) Wisconsin is full of inbred turds and I can't wait for Peppers to wreck your punk ass.

Haha, so some "Bear fan" wrote this to A-Rodge, and he actually retweeted and responded. Twitter has it's negatives, but our favorite athletes reaching out to fans like this is pretty awesome.

They seem so untouchable, but now they can essentially have a conversation with all us "regulars." Barnett and Andrew Bogut are the same way. I love it.

Mr.Regular
04-21-2010, 10:42 PM
AaronRodgers12 (http://twitter.com/AaronRodgers12): Ahh bear fans RT @baseheadtim (http://twitter.com/baseheadtim) @AaronRodgers12 (http://twitter.com/AaronRodgers12) Wisconsin is full of inbred turds and I can't wait for Peppers to wreck your punk ass.

Haha, so some "Bear fan" wrote this to A-Rodge, and he actually retweeted and responded. Twitter has it's negatives, but our favorite athletes reaching out to fans like this is pretty awesome.

They seem so untouchable, but now they can essentially have a conversation with all us "regulars." Barnett and Andrew Bogut are the same way. I love it.
haha thats awesome. ARod is hillarious. I talked to him for a sec at training camp once, seemed like a really cool guy.

Jermichael is another guy on twitter. He has a bet with Barnett right now. JerMichael wins if gets 10k followers by the time of the draft. He's at like 4k or something now...

TitleTown088
04-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Let's all chiiilll here. Draft day is only an hour away. :D

Mr.Regular
04-21-2010, 10:50 PM
10 minutes for me!

J-Mike88
04-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Here's a list of guys who MIGHT be traded this week-weekend.
We have already had a ton of NFL trades this off-season, very unusual.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ross_tucker/04/21/veterans.trade/index.html?eref=sircrc

Would you trade for any of these:

RB Marshawn Lynch, our 3rd or 4th round pick?
OT Jared Gaither, our 2nd round pick?
OLB Bobby Carpenter, our 6th or 7th round pick?
OT Jammal Brown, our 2nd round pick?

cuzifelt1ikeit
04-22-2010, 12:57 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ross_tucker/04/21/veterans.trade/index.html?eref=sircrc

carpenter isnt an olb. and not exactly the best 3-4 mlb. he could help on special teams i guess though

J-Mike88
04-22-2010, 01:18 PM
carpenter isnt an olb. and not exactly the best 3-4 mlb. he could help on special teams i guess though
That's true, he really has no "good" position as a 3-4 OLB. Nice 1st round pick he was by the genius Parcells. LOL

tjsunstein
04-22-2010, 02:12 PM

I would take Gaither for our second in a heartbeat. The others, not so much.

J-Mike88
04-22-2010, 04:31 PM
As would I, no question.
Jammal Brown is worth it, but because he's closer to 30 now than a rookie, I don't think that works right now as well with Clifton & Tauscher back.

Also, I find it ironic that most of Packer Nation wanted Marshawn Lynch back at #16 overall, when the Bills stole him and we ended up with Harrell. Ironic that Lynch has done about as much for the Packers as Marshawn has, and now we can potentially have Lynch for a day 3 pick.

To me, that's a testament to Ryan Grant.
He's been more productive, more durable, and a better role model off the field.
Great trade by TT that was.

johbur
04-22-2010, 11:42 PM

Agreed. Doesn't look like it will happen now with Bulaga on board. Maybe if an OT hadn't been there, but now I see defense for R2...

RyanBraun8
04-23-2010, 12:16 AM
With respect to Carpenter, he may not be a good football player but at least he has his job lined up working for ESPN, haha good to see him realize that his career is not going to be a successful one and him getting to the ESPN studio as much as possible to do some analyst work.

Johbur, I'd agree with going D but that is if they aren't in a postion to get McCluster only....I hope.

As for Rodgers being hilarious, one of my friend when I was at Lakeland actually caddies for a bunch of the Packers in GB during the summer and he says Rodgers is an awesome guy in person and Tauscher is one of the funniest guys he has met...plus they tip amazingly. TT I guess is a dipping machine on the course and not as talkitive.

Whistler, I have always liked you but after you busted out the Arie Gold hug it b!+ch, my respect for you is even higher. Also I noticed you were from Slushkosh, did you go to west or north at all?

CVV, JMIKE in the great works of Rodney King, " Can't we all just get along?" lol lets not act like Bears fans. Also I think the rep points I kinda pointless, I just actually learned how it works, didn't really paly any attention to it.

Lynch with all his problems I still die to have him. It left such a whole in my heart when the Bills picked him and we got stuck with Harrell. I pimped Lynch the whole season and then he shot up right before the draft and we lost out.... With that said, he can catch out of the backfield but beside that he doesn't combo well with Grant. I'd prefer a true power back (Dixon or Gerhart) or homerun hitter like McCluster or even McKnight. I'm all about having everything in the puzzle fit together (meaning different players that fit together) rather than getting stuck with the same to pieces and not being to ever to complete the puzzle. Might just be me.

J-Mike it may have been a bad pick but Parcell is one of the best football minds in NFL history.....right behind his understudy bill belichick (like him hate him if there is one coach I want to spend every second with and learn from, it is without a doubt him...simply genious) Carpenter was a crappy @ss pick though, not going to deny

Lastly, TT i'm with you this new draft style isn't working for me! I still have like 17 hours til the second round starts! This blows

cvv84
04-23-2010, 04:31 PM
*not worth it :D

RyanBraun8
04-23-2010, 09:08 PM
*not worth it :D

That a boy, taking the high road...at the end of the day we are all still Packer fans and here for the same reason. Plus it is hard to be mad after getting a future OT and another extreme Ball Hawk to go with Collins and Woodson, I'm all smiles. lol :)

Whistler6
04-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Whistler, I have always liked you but after you busted out the Arie Gold hug it b!+ch, my respect for you is even higher. Also I noticed you were from Slushkosh, did you go to west or north at all?

Yes sir, good call. Whenever I say that, people instantly think of Michael Scott from The Office. Big fan of that too, but the original was Mr. Arie Gold.

But no, I didn't go to high school here in Oshkosh. I went to Chippewa Falls then UW-Eau Claire, before transferring here to finish up my degree. Not a bad town at all, especially with it' being fairly close to Green Bay. I was able to make it up to the Cowboys-Packers game this past fall with only a 45 minute drive, as opposed to 3 1/2 from Chippewa. Plus, I'm not too far from Milwaukee and Miller Park, which I will be heading down to this Sunday!

I never expected to be "liked" around here much less respected, so I'll take it.

RyanBraun8
04-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Arie Gold is one of my favorite TV characters. Just the man.

What are all your thoughts on the Chiefs drafting McCluster? When I came home I was shocked. I heard they want him at slot receiver and not a RB to much. I'm guessing they see him more as Percy Harvin than I did. I thought he was the opposite of Harvin in the fact that he was more of an RB than WR where as Harvin was much more a WR than a RB.

I just think that is one of stand out picks in the draft. They have Jones and Charles already and Charles does all the stuff that McCluster does. Still a great pick for them.

J-Mike88
04-23-2010, 10:31 PM
McCluster is a tremendous receiver.
They finally are building an offense there in KC.
Charles was a beast down the stretch last year, always breaking a long one every game.
Jones is the hard nosed runner.
Now McCluster.... maybe Dwyane Bowe will straighten out. We all know he has talent.

RyanBraun8
04-23-2010, 10:40 PM
McCluster is a tremendous receiver.
They finally are building an offense there in KC.
Charles was a beast down the stretch last year, always breaking a long one every game.
Jones is the hard nosed runner.
Now McCluster.... maybe Dwyane Bowe will straighten out. We all know he has talent.

Golden Tate is a great reciever also and prob would offer more there working in the slot, you'd think. McCluster since HS has been RB first, I really thought that is what someone was going to draft him as. I thought Weiss would have jumped all over Tate with how sensational he was for him at ND. I'm really curious of the different sets we will run to get all 3 out on the field. Chiefs are going to be a team to watch in a year or two. That Patriot staff and front office are really making good strides.

J-Mike88
04-24-2010, 08:31 AM
This might clear up a ferw misconceptions some fans have abour our 3-4 defense.
"He played the 'three technique' at Purdue," Trgovac said. "If you look at our defense, we probably play 'three technique' half the time.

"He's very strong at the point. When he got a one-on-one base block, he very seldom lost that block, and was able to get off and make plays. I think with what we do, asking guys to parallel their stance a little bit, get their hands on players, we're not a defense that just flies up the line of scrimmage with their defensive tackles like some other teams do. This guy did a very nice job of getting his hands on players, and is very fundamentally sound that way."

The 'three technique' lines up between the guard and tackle, not on the outside shoulder of the tackle that a 'five technique' plays. In addition to playing end, Trgovac said Neal has the ability to slide inside to rush the passer when the Packers go to their sub packages, something veteran starters Johnny Jolly and Cullen Jenkins did quite a bit of last season.

"He's a good inside rusher," Trgovac said. "He's got some things to work on as far as technique, but athletically he's very good. So we'll work on him with some technique things. He's a guy that can beat you with quickness. He's got good quick first steps, and I'll teach him some nice counter moves off of that.

"He'll be a guy that can help us in both areas, and that's kind of what we were looking for. Not just a guy that was a pass rusher and not just a guy that was a run player. I think he'll be able help us in both areas. One of the best things he did, in their movement defense, he did a very good job of moving to the inside or moving to the outside. If you watch us play, we do a ton of that. A lot of things that we do on the field, we saw on his tape."

The 6-foot-3, 294-pound Neal ran a 4.89 in the 40-yard dash at the combine, but is known most for his strength, evidenced by several weightlifting records set during his time at Purdue. He posted 31 reps (at 225 pounds) in the bench press at the combine and also benched 510 pounds prior to his senior season, strength that showed up on the field as well.

"He's got a short-area strike to him that he can get some push back on guys, push the pocket back, create some movement up there," Packers assistant director of college scouting Shaun Herock said. "With that short punch, he's got that short area to avoid and make miss and get penetration. He's got a good combination of power and quicks to use to get to the quarterback."
From Packers.com

johbur
04-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Well, After Bulaga, haven't been impressed. This is not last year's draft, that's for sure.

cvv84
04-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Well, After Bulaga, haven't been impressed. This is not last year's draft, that's for sure.

Give it time, no need to panic just yet. We're getting bread and butter guys.

umphrey
04-24-2010, 05:26 PM
UDFAs we should look at:

QB Jevan Snead, Mississippi
RB LeGarrette Blount, Oregon
RB Lonyae Miller, Fresno State
RB Keiland Williams, LSU
OT Ciron Black, LSU
OT Adam Ulatoski, Texas
OT Tony Washintgon, Abilene Christian
DT Vince Oghobaase, Duke (as DE)
DE Kevin Basped, Nevada (as OLB)
DE Brandon Lang, Troy (as OLB)
DE Antonio Coleman, Auburn (as OLB)
LB Justin Cole, San Jose State (as ILB)
CB Donovan Warren, Michigan (CB/S?)
CB Devin Ross, Arizona
CB David Pender, Purdue
SS Barry Church, Toledo (ST, backup SS)

Shockingly, the best position to look for a UDFA right now is CB and 3-4 OLB. Basped and Lang are both athletic college DEs in the 250-260 lbs range who should be good edge rushers, but need to learn to cover. There are plenty of corners either athletic enough and coachable to become starters or experienced and productive enough to be solid backups right away.

johbur
04-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Give it time, no need to panic just yet. We're getting bread and butter guys.

I'm not panicking, just not impressed. Looks like a lot of guys to replace the guys we have if things don't work out, like:
Jolly goes to jail.
Harrell stubs his toe and is out again
Bigby's hammy teaks again
Taush and Cliffy show age and/or get injured again
Spitz not back from injury all the way
Brandon Jackson gets hurt or he doesn't improve

Other than Bulaga and Burnett, I don't know see too many of these guys that are improvements to compete with the guys we have. Quarless could be better than Lee, but busts his rear working hard, and Quarless doesn't have a rep as a hard worker.

Might be an important draft if the worst happens with the guys we have, but also might be a lot of back-ups that get replaced down the line. Not what I expected from such a deep draft this year.

princefielder28
04-24-2010, 06:31 PM
In the long run I think this draft does really nothing for us. We drafted Bulaga, but how much better will he be than a healthy Mark Tauscher or Chad Clifton? And as far as Mike Neal, is he gonna be better than Cullen Jenkins? I don't think so. Morgan Burnett is the only one who I feel can improve long term on what we have, but we're also lacking at corner so that could leave him exposed.

TitleTown088
04-24-2010, 07:13 PM
In the long run I think this draft does really nothing for us. We drafted Bulaga, but how much better will he be than a healthy Mark Tauscher or Chad Clifton? And as far as Mike Neal, is he gonna be better than Cullen Jenkins? I don't think so. Morgan Burnett is the only one who I feel can improve long term on what we have, but we're also lacking at corner so that could leave him exposed.

I feel it does exactly the opposite. This draft should secure a number of positions for us in the long run. Guys like Bulaga, Neal, and Wilson could be eventual successors at key positions. The guys we got in this draft will be the ones who step up when the guy in place is either too old or hurt. Short term, no this draft probably isn't going to be huge immediately unless there are some injuries, but in the long run this could be an excellent draft.

I don't think its needs to be last year's type of draft either. The team is in a different position at this point.

princefielder28
04-24-2010, 07:21 PM
I feel it does exactly the opposite. This draft should secure a number of positions for us in the long run. Guys like Bulaga, Neal, and Wilson could be eventual successors at key positions. The guys we got in this draft will be the ones who step up when the guy in place is either too old or hurt. Short term, no this draft probably isn't going to be huge immediately unless there are some injuries, but in the long run this could be an excellent draft.

I don't think its needs to be last year's type of draft either. The team is in a different position at this point.

They're successors, but are they going to be any better than what we have in place currently? I think Bulaga is the only one, but that'll come at right tackle, not left. And where do you think Wilson is gonna play? He's far too big to play backer so that leaves the Jenkins spot between him and Neal. We added absolutely no pass rushers at the OLB position, and if there's any indication to how important that position is, look at the Steelers, who added three on top of the handful that they already have. Plus, we brought nobody at corner and the team will suffer for it.

cvv84
04-24-2010, 07:24 PM

Bingo. We're set at many of skilled positions so we didn't need to go the flashy route.

Sure it would've been nice to add a CB and/or OLB but it didn't work that way and I don't think we should be writing off anyone without them even putting on the pads yet.

TitleTown088
04-24-2010, 07:28 PM
They're successors, but are they going to be any better than what we have in place currently? I think Bulaga is the only one, but that'll come at right tackle, not left. And where do you think Wilson is gonna play? He's far too big to play backer so that leaves the Jenkins spot between him and Neal. We added absolutely no pass rushers at the OLB position, and if there's any indication to how important that position is, look at the Steelers, who added three on top of the handful that they already have. Plus, we brought nobody at corner and the team will suffer for it.

Pass rush doesn't only come from an OLB, Neal and Wilson could help with that. Each of them have pass rushing ability. I think Brad Jones did a fine job out there last season as a rookie. An NFL off season lifting program and another season of familiarity could help out a good deal.

I agree that I would have liked to see a CB brought in as well, but you have to remember that Pat Lee will essentially be a new addition to the secondary considering he missed all of last season. Aside from that, I am a bit intrigued by this Sam Shields guy that was brought in as a UDFA.

One area I do feel we may have improved in is special teams. (aside from punting)

princefielder28
04-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Pass rush doesn't only come from an OLB, Neal and Wilson could help with that. Each of them have pass rushing ability. I think Brad Jones did a fine job out there last season as a rookie. An NFL off season lifting program and another season of familiarity could help out a good deal.

I agree that I would have liked to see a CB brought in as well, but you have to remember that Pat Lee will essentially be a new addition to the secondary considering he missed all of last season. Aside from that, I am a bit intrigued by this Sam Shields guy that was brought in as a UDFA.

One area I do feel we may have improved in is special teams. (aside from punting)

I recognize that we can get pass rush from our down lineman and Wilson and Neal may bring that, but Raji, Jenkins, and Jolly all do a decent job currently creating penetration at that position and I don't how much of an increase in pressure that we'll see from the new guys. Brad Jones will probably show a tad of improvement this season, but to completely ignore bringing in any compeition at the position is a mistake and if we suffer an injury then we'll be in rough shape.

Banking on Pat Lee to produce anything in his third season, when he's produced absolutely nothing in his first two and has been hurt during both of them, is risky business and is downright stupid on the team's part. His contributions need to be looked at as a bonus and not something that we try to project because he hasn't shown anything to make us think otherwise.

J-Mike88
04-24-2010, 08:38 PM
UDFAs we should look at:

QB Jevan Snead, Mississippi
RB LeGarrette Blount, Oregon
RB Lonyae Miller, Fresno State
RB Keiland Williams, LSU
OT Ciron Black, LSU
OT Adam Ulatoski, Texas
OT Tony Washintgon, Abilene Christian
DT Vince Oghobaase, Duke (as DE)
DE Kevin Basped, Nevada (as OLB)
DE Brandon Lang, Troy (as OLB)
DE Antonio Coleman, Auburn (as OLB)
LB Justin Cole, San Jose State (as ILB)
CB Donovan Warren, Michigan (CB/S?)
CB Devin Ross, Arizona
CB David Pender, Purdue
SS Barry Church, Toledo (ST, backup SS)

Shockingly, the best position to look for a UDFA right now is CB and 3-4 OLB. Basped and Lang are both athletic college DEs in the 250-260 lbs range who should be good edge rushers, but need to learn to cover. There are plenty of corners either athletic enough and coachable to become starters or experienced and productive enough to be solid backups right away.
^ Sorry Umphrey, not gonna get ANY of your wish list.

Not sure if it's been posted yet. Was gone.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/92017604.html

Running undrafted free-agent thread
By Greg A. Bedard

SIGNINGS

•RB Quinn Porter, Stillman College (via NFLdraftbible.com - CONFIRMED)
6-0, 201, 4.48...Also returns kicks...First team all SIAC after rushing for 1,247 yards and six TDs.

•LB Alex Joseph, Temple (via Connecticut News - CONFIRMED)
6-1 1/2, 238, 4.62...Started all 13 games at MLB...Led team with 80 tackles, 49 solo. Had 5.5 TFL, one INT and one sack.

•QB Noah Shepard, South Dakota (via Argus Leader - CONFIRMED)
6-1 7/8, 223, 4.76.

From NFLdraftscout.com:

Rewrote USD's record book to finish his career as one of the top quarterbacks in school history...topped USD's all-time charts in passing touchdowns (77), passing yards (8,936) and total offense (11,133)....Senior season: started all 10 games for USD...finished season with 2,451 yards and 21 touchdowns on 188-of-297 attempts...also rushed for 500 yards and 13 touchdowns on 114 carries...led the conference with 295.1 yards of total offense per game (7th in the nation)...he was responsible for 20.4 points per game (2nd in the nation)....his 149.2 passing efficiency was second in the conference and 16th in the nation...averaged 245.1 passing yards per game, which was third in the conference and 16th in the nation...Packers scout worked him out in late March.

“It was a great feeling [to get that phone call],” Shepard said. “It means a lot of hard work paid off. I still see it as a big chip on my shoulder that I wasn’t drafted, though. I still have something to prove and I’m looking forward to getting to Green Bay.”

•OLB Frank Zombo, Central Michigan, (via Central Michigan Life - CONFIRMED)
6-3 3/4, 254, 4.75....Played defensive end...All-MAC first team for second-straight season. Had 34 tackles, six for a loss. Returned an interception for a fumble.

From Detroit News: CMU defensive end Frank Zombo (6-4, 269) had an impressive workout Wednesday, according to scouts. Zombo benched 225 pounds 23 times and ran the 40 in 4.71. He could be an outside linebacker in a 3-4 in the NFL, but he's also sparking interest as a tight end. Zombo ran routes and caught passes from LeFevour as a tight end and said afterward he's gotten some interest from NFL teams about playing tight end in the NFL.

•DE John Russell, Wake Forest (via his Twitter)
6-2 7/8, 278, 4.90...Played DT....Russell fifth on the Wake Forest team with 46 tackles. Led the team and ranks ninth in the ACC in sacks with 4.5. Russell had a season-high nine tackles at Georgia Tech on Nov. 7....From NFL.com: DL John Russell (6-2 7/8, 278) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.90 and 4.94 seconds, had a 26-inch vertical jump, an 8-9 broad jump, a 4.53 short shuttle, a 7.15-second three-cone drill and did 30 bench press repetitions at 225 pounds.

•CB/KR Sam Shields, Miami (via Sun-Sentinel)
UPDATE: Shields has not yet signed with the Packers but a source said he is expected to.

5-10 3/4, 184, 4.30....Was arrested in March and charged with misdemeanor drug possession (marijuana). Likely knocked him out of the draft....Once a WR prospect.

From Miami Herald: After spending his first three seasons at wide receiver, Sam Shields was moved to cornerback as a senior. He started 10 of 11 games, finishing fifth on the defense with 40 tackles. His best game of the regular season came at Wake Forest, where he had a career-high seven tackles, in addition to forcing and recovering a key fumble in UM's come-from-behind victory. On Tuesday, Shields had an exciting first. He returned his first career kickoff on an 84-yard reverse to open the game, the longest kickoff in UM bowl history. Before that, Kevin Williams' 45-yard return at the 1991 Cotton Bowl was the record.

•OLB Tim Knicky, Stephen F. Austin (via TV-News 8 in Austin, Tex.)
6-4 1/8, 252, 4.68....Was a DE in college, will be OLB in the pros.

From NFLdraftscout.com: One of the top defensive ends in the nation last season ... The heart and soul of the SFA defense ... Has played in 33 games, earning 28 starts during his career ... Finished his junior campaign among the nation's leaders in sacks and tackles for losses. ... Has received All-SLC recognition each of the past three seasons, and Academic All-SLC honors each of the past two years ... A 2009 Consensus Draft Report Preseason Second-Team All-America selection.

•WR Jeff Moturi, UTEP (CONFIRMED)
5-11 5/8, 183, 4.42

From UTEP: Moturi was first team All-Conference USA as a sophomore in 2007 and honorable mention All-League each of the last two years. He made a catch in 36 straight games to end his collegiate career. One of eight players in school history to amass 2,000 yards receiving, Moturi ranks rates third in UTEP annals in TD catches (26), fourth in receptions (170), tied for fourth in 100-yard games (10) and fifth in receiving yards (2,527).

The 6-0, 190-pound Moturi tied for fourth nationally in touchdown receptions with 13 in 2007. He tied the school record by making a touchdown catch in 10 consecutive games that year. The Irving, Texas native had another big season in 2009, registering 53 catches for 974 yards and topping 100 yards five times in eight games versus C-USA opponents.

•OT Chris Campbell, Eastern Illinois (CONFIRMED)
6-5, 328, 5.28....From EIU: Campbell a 6-5, 328 lb., offensive tackle has generated the most buzz during the recent weeks. Selected as a late edition to play in the Texas vs. The Nation All-Star game, Campbell has opened the eyes of several NFL teams. In the latest CBS Scout Draft Tracker, Campbell is listed as the No. 18 rated prospect at offensive tackle and is projected to be taken in the sixth round. A report in Sporting News has him as a sleeper in the draft and rated as high as the No. 10 offensive tackle available. Campbell was a second team All-OVC selection as a senior starting for the first time in his EIU career. He played at Chicago’s Marshall High School. The Detroit Lions and Seattle Seahawks are the two teams who are reported to be interested in Campbell.

Should Campbell be selected in the NFL Draft he would become the first Panther to hear his name called since Chris Watson was selected in the 3rd round of the 1999 draft by the Denver Broncos. To this day Watson is also the highest NFL selection in the draft from EIU.

•S Robert Vaughn, UConn (via his Twitter account)
5-11 5/8, 198, 4.74...From NFLdraftscout.com: S Robert Vaughn is a little undersized for a safety, standing south of 6 feet tall and 200 pounds. He's skilled enough that a team may want to try him at cornerback as well, and like teammate Marcus Easley, he will get the chance to strut his stuff at the Texas vs. The Nation All-Star Game.

•RB Tory Harrison, Southern Miss (via SMU coach Larry Fedora)
5-11 1/8, 198, 4.59....Was a backup for the Eagles...From NFLdraftscout.com: RB Tory Harrison has been the Golden Eagles' unsung hero this season. With starter Damion Fletcher dealing with nagging injuries, Harrison has been a more than capable backup with 626 yards on 95 carries (6.6-yard average) and nine touchdowns.

J-Mike88
04-24-2010, 08:55 PM
I don't think its needs to be last year's type of draft either. The team is in a different position (than last year) at this point.True, but the pass defense is actually in worse position at this point, thanks to 2 ripped ACL's, as well as the old ones (our only 2 good cover CB's) being a year older.

johbur
04-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Tim Knicky could give Brad Jones some competition. SFA represent!

Not sure there was a punter worth drafting, but having a decent punter wouldn't hurt my feelings.
CB, to me, more of an issue than either the DL or the OL, given how many players are at the position. Obviously the OL doesn't have the right guys, but considering how many players TT has drafted on the line, it's not for lack of trying, though I'm glad he gets a pair of guys with rep, Bulaga being O-lineman of the Big 10 and Newhouse being a key of TCU's Fiesta Bowl squad.

TitleTown088
04-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Man, Finley and Quarless have the potential to drive defensive coordinators nuts. Both have that size and speed. Qualress is even bigger and faster than Finely, let's hope he can develop the same way Finley has.

umphrey
04-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Man, Finley and Quarless have the potential to drive defensive coordinators nuts. Both have that size and speed. Qualress is even bigger and faster than Finely, let's hope he can develop the same way Finley has.

I love that pick. That was the best value we got in the entire draft.

McCarthy uses motion to get a read on the defense. We can put 1 receiver out there with 2 TE, 1 RB, 1 FB and show the defense a formation most teams would run out of 95% of the time. Then motion out one or both TEs, and all of a sudden their secondary has to deal with Jennings, two 6'4" athletes with great hands, the check down back (especially if Starks can be a receiver out of the backfield) and leave the FB in to block.

All the success Finley had last year when he was too fast for linebackers and too big for safeties or cornerbacks, now the defense has to deal with 2 of those. Good luck doubling both or finding two defenders that can handle that. And Rodgers will find the open man.

Since Finley's has some injuries, we now have a backup who we can plug into the offense and although I can't tell you he'll be as good as Finley, he's the same prototype so we can run the offense the same way.

The only thing I've been wondering about is what offense has ever had 2 TEs that were big, athletic pass catchers? Is that a bad thing because no one else thinks it would work? Is it a good thing because it's new and no one has seen it or knows how to defend it? Doesn't really matter because all it does is give us more options. If our offense is struggling we can change tactics.

J-Mike88
04-25-2010, 11:56 PM
OPENING DAY 53-man ROSTER prediction:

QB: Rodgers, Flynn [2/2]
RB: Grant, Jackson, Starks [3/5]
FB: Kuhn, Johnson, Hall [3/8]
TE: Finley, Havner, Quarless [3/11]
WR: Driver, Jones, Swain [3/14]
WR: Jennings, Nelson [2/16]
LT: Clifton, Bulaga [2/18]
LG: Colledge, Spitz[2/20]
C: Wells, [1/21]
RG: Sitton, Newhouse [2/23]
RT: Tauscher, Lang[2/25]

DE: Jenkins, Neal, Wynn [3/28]
NT: Pickett, Raji [2/30]
DE: Jolly, Wilson [2/32]
ROLB: Matthews, Obiozor[2/34]
ILB: Barnett, Chillar [2/36]
ILB: Hawk, Bishop [2/38]
LOLB: Merriman, Jones[2/40]
CB: Woodson, Lee, Bush [3/43]
CB: Williams, Underwood, Sam Shields[3/46]
FS: Collins, Martin [2/48]
SS: Bigby, Burnett [2/50]

P: Bryan
K: Crosby
LS: Goode [3=53]

PUP List: Harris, Harrell, Blackmon
Practice Squad: Frank Zombo, Robert Vaughn, Tim Knicky

Merriman: Taking a page from my boy cvv84's idea.
Packers trade their 2011 2nd round pick, 6th round pick (from Carolina for long snapper JJ Jansen), and Brady Poppinga to San Diego for Shawne Merriman and cash considerations.

I think everyone wants to push Colledge and the 3rd FB out the door, but I see MM keeping them. The offense doesn't need anything other than a little fine-tuning and small upgrades at backup TE and OT.
On defense, I really want to get Bishop some playing time. I believe he can do a better job getting to the QBs on those A-gap blitzes than both Barnett and Hawk do.
Those CB's scare the schit out of me. It's frightening counting on that many who are either shaky, or totally raw.

I still don't know who the KR and PR might be there. I think Starks might be the KR and Sam Shields the punt returner. Sam I am needs to make the most of that opp while Al Harris is on the PUP, or else he is outta here when Al is back and we need a new PR again, perhaps Thrill will be ready after his ACL heals, if it does.

PossibleCabbage
04-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Packers trade their 2011 2nd round pick, 6th round pick (from Carolina for long snapper JJ Jansen), and Brady Poppinga to San Diego for Shawne Merriman and cash considerations.

Nice try, but it's against the rules to trade cash considerations in the NFL. Only picks and players.

So we can't even trade Jarret Bush for a six pack and a bag of balls.

johbur
04-26-2010, 03:20 AM
Heck, Jarret Bush is the Packers' #3 CB right now! He's a valuable commodity! He merits at least a case, even if it's Schlitz....

cuzifelt1ikeit
04-26-2010, 10:38 AM
OPENING DAY 53-man ROSTER prediction:

QB: Rodgers, Flynn [2/2]
RB: Grant, Jackson, Starks [3/5]
FB: Kuhn, Johnson, Hall [3/8]
TE: Finley, Havner, Quarless [3/11]
WR: Driver, Jones, Swain [3/14]
WR: Jennings, Nelson [2/16]
LT: Clifton, Bulaga [2/18]
LG: Colledge, Spitz[2/20]
C: Wells, [1/21]
RG: Sitton, Newhouse [2/23]
RT: Tauscher, Lang[2/25]

DE: Jenkins, Neal, Wynn [3/28]
NT: Pickett, Raji [2/30]
DE: Jolly, Wilson [2/32]
ROLB: Matthews, Obiozor[2/34]
ILB: Barnett, Chillar [2/36]
ILB: Hawk, Bishop [2/38]
LOLB: Merriman, Jones[2/40]
CB: Woodson, Lee, Bush [3/43]
CB: Williams, Underwood, Sam Shields[3/46]
FS: Collins, Martin [2/48]
SS: Bigby, Burnett [2/50]

P: Bryan
K: Crosby
LS: Goode [3=53]

PUP List: Harris, Harrell, Blackmon
Practice Squad: Frank Zombo, Robert Vaughn, Tim Knicky

Merriman: Taking a page from my boy cvv84's idea.

I think everyone wants to push Colledge and the 3rd FB out the door, but I see MM keeping them. The offense doesn't need anything other than a little fine-tuning and small upgrades at backup TE and OT.
On defense, I really want to get Bishop some playing time. I believe he can do a better job getting to the QBs on those A-gap blitzes than both Barnett and Hawk do.
Those CB's scare the schit out of me. It's frightening counting on that many who are either shaky, or totally raw.

I still don't know who the KR and PR might be there. I think Starks might be the KR and Sam Shields the punt returner. Sam I am needs to make the most of that opp while Al Harris is on the PUP, or else he is outta here when Al is back and we need a new PR again, perhaps Thrill will be ready after his ACL heals, if it does.

i dont see the trade happening. i do see one of the full backs to get the boot though. i feel the main reason we kept 3 last year was because quinn wasnt ready and thompson learned from his mistake of letting another fb before he was ready and now hes great, think it was leach? not too sure but i know it was someone.

also adalius thomas was released by the pats today. the packers were hot for him a couple years ago when he originally hit the market and dom knows what hes about after spending a year there in new england.

TitleTown088
04-26-2010, 11:49 AM
What, no Adalius Thomas mention yet J-Mike? ;)

tjsunstein
04-26-2010, 12:05 PM
I would love to bring Adalius Thomas in.

J-Mike88
04-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Heck, Jarret Bush is the Packers' #3 CB right now! He's a valuable commodity! He merits at least a case, even if it's Schlitz....
That's funny jb, and thanks for the tribute below, the wall of fame for you. At least I know one person reads what I say sometimes! LOL

J-Mike88
04-26-2010, 12:23 PM
What, no Adalius Thomas mention yet J-Mike? ;)
Not yet, but cuzifelt1ikeit and tjsunstein threw it out there.
We all know how conservative TT is and seemingly allergic to or oblivious to today's free agency rules. So we all know we would be dumb to bet on it happening.
But I don't see why I or cuzifelt1ike it or TJS should be ripped on for wanting to bring in some possible upgrades to our team in free agency or via trades.

tjsunstein
04-26-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't know how I would feel if we traded something of value for him but now that he's on the open market in a non capped year, why not? Let's throw him an offer at least. At the very least we get a veteran presence in training camp. Big deal if he doesn't play up to what we expected in camps and even preseason, we cut him. But we could say we tried. He's a huge upside guy at a need. Character issues are there, we know that, but I feel like we have a team right now with enough high character guys for him to not have a negative effect especially with such a short leash on a contending team.

J-Mike88
04-26-2010, 12:35 PM
I don't know how I would feel if we traded something of value for him but now that he's on the open market in a non capped year, why not? Let's throw him an offer at least. At the very least we get a veteran presence in training camp. Big deal if he doesn't play up to what we expected in camps and even preseason, we cut him. But we could say we tried. He's a huge upside guy at a need. Character issues are there, we know that, but I feel like we have a team right now with enough high character guys for him to not have a negative effect especially with such a short leash on a contending team.
Exactly, but in addition to that, I would LOVE the one game we play at New England this year on Football Night in America on NBC!

TitleTown088
04-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Heck, Jarret Bush is the Packers' #3 CB right now!.

I don't know about that. I think Underwood or Lee would be.

Jeremy Thompson retired due to injury today.

TitleTown088
04-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Also, something for those of you who may be supporting AD and down on Brad Jones to think about: Brad Jones had one more sack and the same amount of tackles as Thomas in 4 less starts.

J-Mike88
04-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Also, something for those of you who may be supporting AD and down on Brad Jones to think about: Brad Jones had one more sack and the same amount of tackles as Thomas in 4 less starts.
And in only 404 snaps played versus Thomas' 601 snaps played.
Right, so cvv84's idea of Merriman is a better idea!

Here's some more STARTLING evidence that Adalius Thomas might not be coming to Green Bay, or that we don't want him to:
http://profootballfocus.com/articles.php?tab=articles&arc=&id=140
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/329212-adalius-thomas-leagues-worst-linebacker.html

TitleTown088
04-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Right, so cvv84's idea of Merriman is a better idea!

So a guy that had the same amount of sacks and tackles as Jones in seven more games played (albeit coming off an knee injury)? Starting to sound like Jones isn't that bad, is he?

I think the Packers need some depth behind Brad Jones, but I feel fine with him starting at LOLB.

cuzifelt1ikeit
04-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Not yet, but cuzifelt1ikeit and tjsunstein threw it out there.
We all know how conservative TT is and seemingly allergic to or oblivious to today's free agency rules. So we all know we would be dumb to bet on it happening.
But I don't see why I or cuzifelt1ike it or TJS should be ripped on for wanting to bring in some possible upgrades to our team in free agency or via trades.

never said i wanted him. i wouldnt be surprised if thompson went after him to be honest. the history is there so are the past connections. if we dont go after him i think it is more of a factor of capers having a negative experience with working with him rather then thompson being cheap and against free agency. its harder then you think to lure someone to green bay. it took almost the entire off season for us to finally land woodson.

tjsunstein
04-26-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm not down on Brad Jones one bit, it's more a of low risk - high reward deal at this point. I'm perfectly comfortable with Brad Jones starting.

Favre4ever
04-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Im sure we will add another OLB before the start of the season, we're just too thin at this position right now.

J-Mike88
04-26-2010, 02:49 PM
its harder then you think to lure someone to green bay.
That's a great and accurate statement, almost the understatement of the year.
In defense of Thompson, the village up there is a very hard sell to most NFL players. Who knows, there might be some free agents that TT has tried to get, but who just aren't interested and don't leak the info. But one would think they would always leak it to add leverage, a la Chris Canty last year that POS.

J-Mike88
04-26-2010, 02:53 PM
New Packer OLB Frank Zombo:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00q284288q6aQ/x610.jpg
University of Georgia tailback Knowshon Moreno (24) leaps over Central Michigan defensive back Vince Agnew (22) as he runs for yards in the second half of their NCAA football game in Athens, Georgia, September 6, 2008. At left is Central Michigan defensive end Frank Zombo.

Whistler6
04-26-2010, 03:22 PM
I don't know about that. I think Underwood or Lee would be.

Jeremy Thompson retired due to injury today.

If Morgan Burnett isn't a starter at safety, I think there is a good chance he plays some CB in the nickel packages. He has the range and speed to do well in both positions. I don't have any sources, but some scouting reports I read, mentioned this possibility as well.

Just a thought, but anything that might bump Bush furth down the depth chart.

PossibleCabbage
04-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Just a thought, but anything that might bump Bush furth down the depth chart.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him fall off the depth chart entirely. His special teams play has fallen off in recent years, but his mental miscues have not. Derrick Martin is a better ST player and a CB/S swing guy, and he's likely behind guys like Josh Bell and Trevor Ford in the "CBs in waiting" category.

GB12
04-26-2010, 03:42 PM
That's a great and accurate statement, almost the understatement of the year.
In defense of Thompson, the village up there is a very hard sell to most NFL players. Who knows, there might be some free agents that TT has tried to get, but who just aren't interested and don't leak the info. But one would think they would always leak it to add leverage, a la Chris Canty last year that POS.

I wanted Canty at the time, but I'm so glad he didn't sign with us. I doubt he would have matched Jolly's play last year and he definitely wasn't worth the price.

J-Mike88
04-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Adalius Thomas, here's an OpEd on the risk of signing high-priced free agents. Well especially ones with a little attitude.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4677975/adalius-thomas-analysis

J-Mike88
04-26-2010, 04:12 PM
....Canty ....but I'm so glad he didn't sign with us. ....and he definitely wasn't worth the price.
For sure. The thing is, for what he does, in a 3-4, it's just not worth that kind of money. You don't have to pay those guys that much $$$$.

Their role is unsung, and very important, but they should not command that kind of money. Ted seemed to want him though, but than God Canty had no interest in playing in the village. He's a NY guy and wanted to go there all along, and just used us for $ leverage. He got what he deserved, a crappy embarassing season.

Never shun the village !!!!! Right Javon Walker?

umphrey
04-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Jeremy Thompson makes me sad. He's the 3rd TT pick to retire young due to injuries (I'm already counting Harrell). That's a 1st, a 3rd on Murphy, and a 4th that we traded up to get. I feel for these guys, especially because they all seemed like good people, and I feel like we've had some bad luck, maybe the worst in the league in that category. Hopefully Pat Lee doesn't join them.

Whistler6
04-26-2010, 04:45 PM
More Super Bowl odds from Bodog.com: Colts 8-1; Saints 9-1; Chargers, Patriots 10-1; Cowboys 11-1; Packers and Vikings 14-1; Steelers and Eagles 18-1, Jets 12-1

http://twitter.com/BobGlauber -- Reported by Bob Glauber, NFL analyst from Newsday

Whistler6
04-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Jeremy Thompson makes me sad. He's the 3rd TT pick to retire young due to injuries (I'm already counting Harrell). That's a 1st, a 3rd on Murphy, and a 4th that we traded up to get. I feel for these guys, especially because they all seemed like good people, and I feel like we've had some bad luck, maybe the worst in the league in that category. Hopefully Pat Lee doesn't join them.

Yeah it really is a shame. I remember when Terrence Murphy announced his retirement too. I hate to see guys, especially players like this who appear to be "good guys," go down this way.

If anything, being apart of the Packers for awhile had to atleast have given him a head start financially for whatever direction he plans to go. Murphy went into real estate and appears to have taken off. I wish him well.

Whistler6
04-26-2010, 04:52 PM
More from Jeremy Thompson:

"There truly is no team I would have rather played for.”

"The Packers are a first-class organization, and I want to thank them for the opportunity to play in the NFL."

“I am thankful to the Packers organization and to the fans for their support during my time in Green Bay."

http://twitter.com/jasonjwilde

umphrey
04-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Tim Knicky, Frank Zombo, one of these guys will make the roster I think.

Knicky (6-4, 251) is a fly-off-the-edge sack artist out of the Football Championship Subdivision Southland Conference.
A 3 1/2-year starter at weak-side end in a 4-3, he had 24 1/2 sacks the last two years and 32 1/2 in all, to go with 59 1/2 tackles for loss.

Zombo (6-3 1/2, 254) was a three-year starter at strong-side end in a 4-3 and weighed between 265 and 270. After the season, he decided to drop weight.

cuzifelt1ikeit
04-26-2010, 05:05 PM
we resigned charlie peprah. yay.

GB12
04-26-2010, 05:32 PM
I like Peprah. I thought he was deserving of a roster spot when he was with the Packers. Will never be anything more than a reserve safety, but he was alright at that. Let him and Martin battle it out for the 4th safety spot.

PossibleCabbage
04-26-2010, 05:51 PM
I like Peprah. I thought he was deserving of a roster spot when he was with the Packers. Will never be anything more than a reserve safety, but he was alright at that. Let him and Martin battle it out for the 4th safety spot.

It may also be an issue where they're deciding whether to keep four safeties and six-seven CBs or five safeties and five-six CBs. I know that Dom prefers the sixth defensive back in the dime package to be a safety, and Martin was partly a CB with Baltimore, so he could end up as a CB/S like Jarrett Bush was last year (but hopefully more competent, not that that's hard).

J-Mike88
04-26-2010, 06:28 PM
More on Maniac Frank Zombo, who I like more and more of:

One reason Zombo chose the Packers was his agent, Robert Walker, happened to be Jason Hunter's agent in 2006 when the undrafted rookie made the Packers.

Zombo runs 4.76, owns the best vertical jump (35 1/2 inches) and broad jump (10-2) of the three (UFA OLB's signed) and managed 23 reps on the bench, 6 more than Knicky. He also has by far the longest arms (32 1/2).

"I have the size and the athletic ability to do it," said Zombo. "I have really good hands. I caught 78 passes in high school my senior year as a wide receiver. And I can rush the passer. It's a great fit."

Zombo had 181 tackles (39 for loss) and 25 1/2 sacks at Central Michigan, where Cullen Jenkins had only 11 1/2 sacks from 1999-'02 before making it as a free agent in Green Bay.

PossibleCabbage
04-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Zombo runs 4.76, owns the best vertical jump (35 1/2 inches) and broad jump (10-2) of the three (UFA OLB's signed) and managed 23 reps on the bench, 6 more than Knicky. He also has by far the longest arms (32 1/2).

He also had a 4.29 seconds short shuttle and a 7.12 3 cone. Far and away the measurables that seem to be the best indicator of a successful transition from DE to OLB are vert, reps, short shuttle, 10-yard split, and 3-cone. I can't find his 10-yard split (though I didn't look too hard), but signs point to "potentially becoming a player" at this point.

J-Mike88
04-26-2010, 08:21 PM
He also had a 4.29 seconds short shuttle and a 7.12 3 cone. Far and away the measurables that seem to be the best indicator of a successful transition from DE to OLB are vert, reps, short shuttle, 10-yard split, and 3-cone. I can't find his 10-yard split (though I didn't look too hard), but signs point to "potentially becoming a player" at this point.
I agree. Somebody needs to create a ZAMBO signature soon!
I think he sounds like an improvement over what we got from Jeremy Thompson in 2 years, just from reading about his A) measureables and B) college production.
Detractors would say well look at the school/competition he was at.
Cullen Jenkins, Greg Jennings, Tony Scheffler....might disagree eh?

ZAMBO !!!

cuzifelt1ikeit
04-26-2010, 11:27 PM
I agree. Somebody needs to create a ZAMBO signature soon!
I think he sounds like an improvement over what we got from Jeremy Thompson in 2 years, just from reading about his A) measureables and B) college production.
Detractors would say well look at the school/competition he was at.
Cullen Jenkins, Greg Jennings, Tony Scheffler....might disagree eh?

ZAMBO !!!

dont get too caught up in the numbers. the guy went undrafted for a reason.

PossibleCabbage
04-27-2010, 12:58 AM
dont get too caught up in the numbers. the guy went undrafted for a reason.

Tramon Williams, Cullen Jenkins, John Kuhn, Spencer Havner, Atari Bigby, and Jarrett Bush were all undrafted free agents (signed by Ted Thompson). Sometimes these guys are players, or at least are good enough to stick with a team and contribute.

Heck Brad Jones, Brett Swain, Scott Wells, Mark Tauscher, Donald Driver, and Matt Flynn were 7th round picks and the difference between a 7th round pick and a UDFA isn't that great. Teams don't always draft the best player on their board in the 7th round, they will often take a player because he is more likely to get drafted by someone else in the seventh or is more likely to sign elsewhere as a UDFA than a guy they like better that they are confident they can get in UDFA.

johbur
04-27-2010, 02:32 AM
With Jeremy Thompson retiring, those UDFA OLBs have a solid shot to fight for a roster spot. My fave is Tim Knicky.

TitleTown088
04-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Princefeilder, I realize you've liked Lefevour for some time, But a bears sig? Isn't that taking it a bit too far?

tjsunstein
04-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Princefeilder, I realize you've liked Lefevour for some time, But a bears sig? Isn't that taking it a bit too far?

Almost too far. I disapprove.

J-Mike88
04-27-2010, 01:24 PM
the guy went undrafted for a reason.
Sure, but that doesn't matter to me, and there have been tons and tons of exceptions.
Besides the ones Cabbage pointed out on our own team, you are well aware of Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Miles Austin, Antonio Gates, James Harrison.....

While on the opposite side, you have guys who were taken in the top 10 overall like Jamark Russell, Chuck Rogers, Ryan Leaf, Joe Harrington, Dave Carr, Tony Mandarich, etc for a reason.

It's not a science.
Look at Cullen Jenkins vs Justine Harrell. One was a top 20 pick, the other undrafted.

J-Mike88
04-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Desmond Bishop?
How do we get this guy into the lineup?

cuzifelt1ikeit
04-27-2010, 02:30 PM
sure there have been exceptions. but to think that zambo can become one of the elite few that will become something other then serviceable is a stretch. dont get me wrong i hope he turns out to be james harrison but the numbers just arent in his favor. its easy to name off the guys who are 7th round picks or are undrafted that have done great. its even easier for me to go look up the undrafted free agents or seventh round picks that havent done squat in the league.

PossibleCabbage
04-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Desmond Bishop?
How do we get this guy into the lineup?

I don't think I'd want him on the field other than in goal-line and on special teams. He's a "guess and charge" linebacker, much better in college than in the pros.

J-Mike88
04-27-2010, 02:48 PM
sure there have been exceptions. but to think that zambo can become one of the elite few that will become something other then serviceable is a stretch. dont get me wrong i hope he turns out to be james harrison but the numbers just arent in his favor. its easy to name off the guys who are 7th round picks or are undrafted that have done great. its even easier for me to go look up the undrafted free agents or seventh round picks that havent done squat in the league.
Obviously the odds aren't in his favor. But they're not much lower odds than a guy taken in round 6 or 7 are.

Of our current roster:
How many 7th round picks are on our team now?
How many undrafted guys are on our team now?

CabbageMan, can you shed some light on that one for him?

GB12
04-27-2010, 03:04 PM
He'll be out of the league soon enough. Then PF can get an arena league sig.

cuzifelt1ikeit
04-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Obviously the odds aren't in his favor. But they're not much lower odds than a guy taken in round 6 or 7 are.

Of our current roster:
How many 7th round picks are on our team now?
How many undrafted guys are on our team now?

someone please do because i dont feel like looking it up haha. there are so many 7th round and udfas each year. if there was the same amount of 7th round and udfas as there were first rounders the success wouldnt be as big

edit: watch nfl live today if you can they talk about success rates of undrafteds/late roudners vs first rounders. in '09 the highest percentage of starters was first rounders obviously. but right behind them was the undrafted crew.

princefielder28
04-27-2010, 04:44 PM

It's only a sig, it's not that big of a deal

PossibleCabbage
04-27-2010, 09:06 PM

It's really the opposite of "read and react" in terms of proper linebacking. Even in the 3-4 an inside linebacker (who isn't running a stunt), has to first diagnose run-pass cues, then identify the action side of the play, realize their responsibility, and then do that. Nick Barnett, for his other faults, is very good at this. He'll react almost instantly once the play is identifiable, and immediately cover his assigned gap or whatever he's supposed to doing. Hawk is about half a beat slower at this than Barnett, but is still good enough to be a player you don't worry about at all in your base defense.

Bishop, though, plays like a lot of linebackers who have success in college but struggle in the pros (e.g. Abdul Hodge). Instead of diagnosing the play and playing his responsibility, he will generally guess what the play is supposed to be, and attack according to what he expects to happen, not what is actually going to happen. In cases where he guesses right, he tends to make a big play like a tackle for a loss. This gets everybody excited during training camp, and they start maligning the fact that the starters tend not to make plays like that. However, when he guesses *wrong*, he tends to give up a play that's bigger than the one he makes when he guesses right. When a LB fails to control his assigned gap on a running play, for example, a ballcarrier basically has a free pass to get to the secondary. This is bad.

In general, guys who gamble will make more flashy plays, but will give up more bad plays, and NFL coaches would rather have a linebacker that consistently stops the ballcarrier within 1-2 yards of the LOS, than a LB who will occasionally make a tackle six yards in the backfield, but will just as often blow his assignment resulting in a 20+ yard run. For an example of how ugly this can be in practice, recall the game that Abdul Hodge had to start at MLB against Seattle because Barnett was injured.

So as to "where to play Bishop", you'll want him on special teams because he's a hard-working kid who will stick his nose in there, and that's just what you want on special teams (crazy people with no respect for their own well being are the best special teamers). You can also play him in short-yardage defenses (like goal to go on the 1), where a run where the RB could go 20 yards and a run where the RB gets tackled a yard and a half in front of the LOS are the same, but a tackle 6 yards in the backfield is about the best thing you could have happen.

Slightly unrelated, the propensity to gamble and give up as many plays as they make was precisely the reason that Green Bay gave up on Anthony Smith during final roster cutdowns last year. Sure, he made plays in the preseason, but he would freelance and gamble much more than the coaches were comfortable. Generally, defensive plays are designed in such a way where if everybody executes their assignment and enough defensive players win their individual battles or at least take them to a draw, the defense wins the play (since, for example, on conventional running plays you generally have 11 people who are trying to tackle 10 people, advantage defense.)

It's only a sig, it's not that big of a deal

You're going to feel pretty silly when he beats out Cutler for the starting gig ;P

J-Mike88
04-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Good info cabbage.

Let me add this though: the propensity to gamble..... sometimes it appears a guy is gambling because he is out of position. Sometimes it appears that someone gambled but there really was a breakdown in communication. We all saw a helluva lot of that in Arizona, and in Minnesota, and in Pittsburgh. We also, if we can remember, saw a lot of that from Nick Collins when he was young, as well as last year in Arizona as well.

Now in defense of Bishop, he's not had much chance to learn on the field in live games.
Also in defense of him, I know our LB coach and JS writer Greg Bedard have vocalized their strong support for Bishop as a LB.

Oh, and I sadly vividly remember that game in Seattle where Abdul Hodge allowed Shaun Alexander to run for a team-record 200+ yards. That game was embarassing, and was a Monday nighter wasn't it? Was that the Seattle Snow game too?

TitleTown088
04-27-2010, 10:40 PM
What, you slacking off J-mike? ;)

#Breakingnews The Green Bay Packers have been in contact with FA CB/KR/PR Adam "Pacman" Jones about a possible tryout.

http://twitter.com/Schottey/statuses/12967142817

http://bleacherreport.com/users/111184-michael-schottey

J-Mike88
04-27-2010, 11:12 PM
What, you slacking off J-mike? ;)
http://twitter.com/Schottey/statuses/12967142817
http://bleacherreport.com/users/111184-michael-schottey
Dude, don't rub it in and get my hopes up like that!

I know Adam didn't light it up at all in Dallas.
But he didn't shoot anybody either ;)

....is it April 1st again TitleTown088?

J-Mike88
04-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Great article here on Sam Shields from Greg:

Cornerback Sam Shields is the fastest man on the Green Bay Packers.

......it's also entirely possible that Shields could rival Derrick Martin as their most dynamic special-teams player.

For a $7,500 signing bonus and a minimum contract, the Packers got themselves a free agent from the University of Miami with the speed and the versatility to find a way onto the 53-man roster.

Seven (7) teams wanted to sign Shields when the draft ended Saturday. Green Bay, one of the two clubs Shields visited, won out.....
Read More:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/92279204.html

TitleTown088
04-28-2010, 12:37 AM
....is it April 1st again TitleTown088?

Probably, I don't see it happening.

jsa230
04-28-2010, 03:59 AM
TT needs . . . no HAS to bring in a veteran db . . . a couple of names that come to mind are Anthony Henry,Frank Walker, Ken Lucas, Dre Bly? . . . pass rusher. . . derrick Burgess adalius thomas ? ? ? I think TT knows there is still some talent remaining in the free agent pool, (hence the play it safe draft philosophy)and i hope to see some aggression in FA.

J-Mike88
04-28-2010, 06:48 AM
TT needs . . . no HAS to bring in a veteran db . . . a couple of names that come to mind are Anthony Henry,Frank Walker, Ken Lucas, Dre Bly?
That's what I said last year in Nov, Dec in the pennant race when we lost Harris after Blackmon after Lee, and instead he chose to bring in the young and raw Josh Bell to stabilize things.
So history tells us don't bank on him bringing in a veteran DB.

Whistler6
04-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Great article here on Sam Shields from Greg:

Read More:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/92279204.html

I know he's an undrafted rookie free agent, but that article actually gets me excited. He came from Miami, so he played with and against top talent. His troubles or run-ins with the law seem to be a thing of the past too.

The best part is he chose Green Bay out of a number of teams. That raises him a notch in my book. And if anyone remembers the Miami-Badgers game this season, he returned a long kick for a touchdown. The guy has wheels.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but in a fairly uneventful offseason, I need something to latch onto! Even it is for a pure special team "gunner".

J-Mike88
04-28-2010, 08:45 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/92194649.html
Minnesota's Brett Favre (twice), Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger and Arizona's Kurt Warner all shredded the Packers through the air.

Green Bay lost all four of those games largely because they couldn't pressure the quarterback or cover long enough in the back end.

It was believed Thompson would try correcting that problem. Instead, panic buttons are being pushed throughout Packer Nation after Thompson ignored both outside linebacker and cornerback.

This is Ted Thompson speaking, answering a question about his failing to address the special teams problems, the cornerback breakdowns, and the pass rush issues:
"Frankly, I think the biggest improvement in our football team, and I know the biggest improvement for our football team, will be from what's been going on here since the first day of the off-season program. Our football team has a chance to improve from within. Our guys have put a lot of time in."
Am I the only one here who thinks that other teams guys also work in the off-season? Am I the only one who thinks other teams guys will also improve?

Is there something special in the water in Green Bay's facility that makes Ted think that his team will progress at a faster rate than the other 31 teams, even though other teams have young guys too?

Is this attitude arrogant, or irresponsible, or just stubborn? Or will it lead to a Super Bowl?
What do you think of Ted ignoring FA and ignoring needs like our atrocious special teams and pass rush because he feels our team's natural progression will outpace all the others?

jackalope
04-28-2010, 09:06 PM
I think if you consider how young our team is and how successful it was last season in the first year of a new defense, it's by no means a stretch to think we'll be competing for a Superbowl. I've never had a problem with the way Thompson has handled free agency.

PossibleCabbage
04-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Really, I have to grade activity or inactivity in free agency on a case by case basis. It's not a good idea to go out and sign free agents just so you can say you were active in free agency, and it's generally not a good idea to go out and sign the best guy available at any positions of perceived need disirregardless of cost.

Some years are just bad for free agency and the "best" guys at a given position are only incrementally better than the guys you had on your team last year. Expecting that guy (especially if he's young) to make an incremental improvement in the offseason is probably a safer bet than overpaying a marginal vet.

As teams get better and better at managing the cap, there are fewer and fewer quality players that hit free agency. The last couple years, particularly, have been historically bad free agency classes. There's no reason to go out and sign a guy just to get an "I participated" ribbon.

I mean, sure Dunta Robinson would probably have been a legitimate improvement for the #2 corner spot behind Woodson, but it would be insane to spend $57 million for a #2 corner. We could have signed Jason Taylor or Joey Porter, but those guys are pretty much getting paid for name recognition, as neither of them have much gas in the tank (and neither will play the run, at all).

If you'll notice, for example, what the Patriots did to build their dynasty, they went at first on pretty much exclusively draft picks and low cost free agents. They only dipped into the FA deep end to prop open their window when it started to close, and it's not like signing Adalius Thomas to a 5 year $35 million contract ($20 million guaranteed) and then cutting him 3 years later was really a brilliant move for the Pats.

umphrey
04-29-2010, 12:21 AM
Do you remember the guy responsible for losing to Pittsburgh? I think it was Josh Bell. Point being we had a street free agent on an island for the most important part of the game. I wish we added to our secondary more, but with Burnett and 3 CBs coming back from injuries, there's a good chance it's deeper than last year. Add Raji, Clay, and Jones in their sophomore seasons and Neal the freshman and there is reason to believe our DL will be better, particularly with pass rush as well.

Would you feel better if we went and got Cromartie? Or maybe we should have passed on Bulaga or Neal to reach on a corner that would probably bust, while passing on players to help other immediate needs.

I'm pretty confident both our pass rush and secondary improve, we'll have to wait and see if it's by a lot or a little though.

TitleTown088
04-29-2010, 12:39 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/92194649.html

I read that article. While I may agree with some of the points, its a sorry excuse for journalism. It's littered with the authors subjective opinion, and in some cases uninformed opinion.

PossibleCabbage
04-29-2010, 02:52 AM
Do you remember the guy responsible for losing to Pittsburgh? I think it was Josh Bell. Point being we had a street free agent on an island for the most important part of the game.

It was Josh Bell, and if you'll recall correctly, he actually had very good coverage on the play. The problem was that the safety (I believe it was Bigby) was out of position as there was supposed to be over-under coverage on that play, and there was both a very good throw and a very good catch. Bell didn't really do anything wrong on that play, so I don't really see your point.

You can blame that play on the strong safety, and if you'll recall, we actually did potentially improve that position in the offseason.

J-Mike88
04-29-2010, 06:50 AM
It was Josh Bell, and if you'll recall correctly, he actually had very good coverage on the play. The problem was that the safety (I believe it was Bigby) was out of position as there was supposed to be over-under coverage on that play, and there was both a very good throw and a very good catch. Bell didn't really do anything wrong on that play, so I don't really see your point.

You can blame that play on the strong safety, and if you'll recall, we actually did potentially improve that position in the offseason.
That play wasn't Bigby's fault at all. I still have that play on my DVR right now.
(Cullen Jenkins is still me #1 blame for the whiff on BR the play before that would have been the nail in the coffin).
Josh Bell had to keep outside leverage there, which he didn't. Still, he probably would have been able to make a play on the ball, but his plant foot slipped. And it was a miraculous-almost perfect pinpoint pass just like Rapelisburger threw to Holmes in that Super Bowl.
My only rant about Bell is why was it Bell in the first place when there were 3 veteran CB's available down the stretch last year. In a pennant race, in a pinch, why not go with an experienced guy like a McKenzie, Law, or Chris McCallister instead of a still-raw and young guy? Does Ted think Bell has a long future perhaps? I don't think even he thinks that or else he would have signed him before our 3rd CB injury last year.

Yes you all know I wanted Antonio Cromartie. I think he's a great cover guy for types like Sidney Rice and Marques Colston and Reggie Wayne, and those 3 teams could be our playoff opponents. I know Peyton Manning doesn't like to see Cromartie on Wayne. :eek:

J-Mike88
04-29-2010, 11:16 AM
I read that article. While I may agree with some of the points, its a sorry excuse for journalism. It's littered with the authors subjective opinion, and in some cases uninformed opinion.
It's an op-ed. It's supposed to have his opinion as the writer. That's the point.
We may agree or disagree. He may be proven to be wrong, or right, or somewhere in the middle. But it is what it is.

I get a kick out of people, who love to shoot down journalists work.

Boston
04-29-2010, 12:37 PM

No, you can definately blame that play on Josh Bell. He wasn't supposed to let anybody get to the sidelines, and he did.

TitleTown088
04-30-2010, 12:46 AM
It's an op-ed. It's supposed to have his opinion as the writer. That's the point.
We may agree or disagree. He may be proven to be wrong, or right, or somewhere in the middle. But it is what it is.

I get a kick out of people, who love to shoot down journalists work.
Journalists are supposed to press their opinion? I disagree, its the journalists job to try and report news objectively. I don't read the news to hear someone's unqualified opinion, i read it to get the news.

Or maybe I'll start taking Glen Beck's advice while I'm at it...

tjsunstein
04-30-2010, 02:01 AM
If we're talking about the game winning catch by Mike Wallace as time expired, Bell had solid if not great coverage on that play. It was just a better catch.

If not, I'm going to have to go back and re-watch what you guys are talking about.

8ruR8taTegY

Whistler6
04-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Green Bay was 11-5 last season, and very easily could have ended up
13-3. With everyone returning and a couple newly added pieces, there is no reason not to think they will be better than last year.

When someone gives me a present, I don't look them in the face and say "what a terrible gift!" No, when you are given a gift without having to pay back anything in return, you accept it gladly.

That's how I view this draft/offseason. Every significant piece of this team is back, and the newly added additions can only make them better. Green Bay might not have won the Powerball Jackpot, but that 500 bucks from the local lottery will still help in the long run.

I think the defense will be just fine, so long as they keep forcing turnovers. And we all know how deadly the offense already is. Rodgers will be an MVP candidate this year, and Finley, Jennings, and Driver will be absolutely electric. Oh yeah, and their 1250+ yard 11 TD running back is returning as well.

J-Mike88
04-30-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm excited too.
Question: Does anyone here expect Rodgers numbers to be better this year than they were last year?
Curious.

J-Mike88
04-30-2010, 06:16 PM
DAY ONE

Friday April 30, 2010 4:24 Greg_A_Bedard
4:24 Greg_A_Bedard: Zombo is playing left as well.
4:24 Greg_A_Bedard: Frank Zombo looks the part of an OLB.

Friday April 30, 2010 4:24 Greg_A_Bedard
4:29 Greg_A_Bedard: James Starks is a big dude but he can move. Has some nice moves, elusiveness in the open field.

Friday April 30, 2010 4:29 Greg_A_Bedard
4:30 Greg_A_Bedard: Very nice body lean, balance. But he does run high and is a big target for tacklers.

Friday April 30, 2010 4:30 Greg_A_Bedard
4:32 Greg_A_Bedard: Newhouse playing left tackle after Bulaga.

Friday April 30, 2010 4:32 Greg_A_Bedard
4:33 LoriNickel: James Starks runs north/south as promised; Tory Harrison runs with shifty shoulders

Friday April 30, 2010 4:33 LoriNickel
4:33 Greg_A_Bedard: Quarless looks like a natural athlete and ball catcher but he doesn't appear to be in great shape.

Friday April 30, 2010 4:33 Greg_A_Bedard
4:36 LoriNickel: watching Bulaga, first thing I notice is low center of gravity and bent knees, smooth backpedal

Friday April 30, 2010 4:36 LoriNickel
4:41 LoriNickel: P Chris Bryan just shanked one left

5:23 Greg_A_Bedard: Going to have to get used to Bulaga wearing 75. A lot of Tony Moll memories there for me to get past.

Friday April 30, 2010 5:23 Greg_A_Bedard
5:24 Greg_A_Bedard: Think Chris Campbell, the OT out of Eastern Illinois, has a shot. Big fella can move.

Friday April 30, 2010 5:24 Greg_A_Bedard
5:25 Greg_A_Bedard: QB Noah Shepard is having a rough first day.

Friday April 30, 2010 5:25 Greg_A_Bedard
5:27 Greg_A_Bedard: Have my doubts about Quarless. He's nowhere near the athlete Jermichael Finley is. Doesn't seem like a go-getter either.

5:30 Greg_A_Bedard: Mike Neal is large man. His quads are huge.

Friday April 30, 2010 5:30 Greg_A_Bedard
5:33 Greg_A_Bedard: Nice twisting catch by Quarless. He certainly has nice hands.

5:36 Greg_A_Bedard: Bryan Wilson the LB from Morgan State has some nice tools.

Friday April 30, 2010 5:36 Greg_A_Bedard
5:38 Greg_A_Bedard: Knicky looks to have a ways to go in coverage. It is a new position for him.

Friday April 30, 2010 5:38 Greg_A_Bedard
5:40 Greg_A_Bedard: Like Zombo coming off the edge.

5:44 Greg_A_Bedard: Tough to tell much about Shields. He's a skinny-legged guy. May be fast but doesn't appear to be too explosive.

Friday April 30, 2010 5:44 Greg_A_Bedard
5:44 LoriNickel: Practice not all rough, kind of amazing given the offensive rooks just got a major chunk of playbook yesterday.

Friday April 30, 2010 5:44 LoriNickel
5:48 Greg_A_Bedard: Do like Starks on kickoffs. I can definitely see him there. McCarthy is keeping a close eye on him

J-Mike88
04-30-2010, 11:28 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/92562879.html

Earlier this week, a personnel man from an NFC team and another from an AFC team shared their thoughts on the Packers' 11 free agents:

CHRIS CAMPBELL, T, Eastern Illinois: "He was the rage here late in the process. He got himself noticed because he has straight-line speed and real long arms (34 1/2 inches). Not so good on the change of direction. Good size. Really raw. Poor hand placement. He’s not going to provide instant help. There’s no way. Get him to clear waivers, keep him around on the practice squad and he may do something later." . . . "Big catcher type. I question his toughness."

NICK McDONALD, G, Grand Valley State: "He's got a tough edge to him. I would have loved to have had him. He's a good athlete and a tough kid. Good smarts. They found themselves one there. Two or three years from now he'll be contributing in some way. He's got good enough feet to play (tackle), but I just don't think he's ready for that yet. More of a guard. He needs to get a little stronger and be a little stouter. He definitely has the athleticism to pull and trap." . . . "Good signing. He's a tackle but should be a guard. Good practice-squad candidate. Good guy to develop."

TIM KNICKY, OLB, Stephen F. Austin: "Priority free agent. He tested out well. He times fast. The caliber of ball in the Southland Conference is lower than it used to be."

FRANK ZOMBO, OLB, Central Michigan: "Our people felt he would end up being a tight end." . . . " 'Sam' linebacker in a 3-4? That's a total conversion. He's changing positions (from defensive end) and going to the National Football League as a camp guy. I really struggle with those guys. Rarely do projections make it. People don’t realize how hard that is. I don't think he is an overly tough guy. Great kid. Good intangibles. But I don't see an upside there. To me, that's a need signing as opposed to a guy that has a lot of potential. If they had signed him as a tight end, I would have said possibly."

SAM SHIELDS, CB, Miami: "Quiet-natured. Just-happy-to-be-there type of kid. His obvious problem is he can't catch. That's why he's not a wideout anymore. Really struggles with catching and locating the ball. He's just really raw at finishing on the ball . . . in terms of running full stride and being able to locate the ball and still maintain position on the receiver. He's going to struggle with that. He's not afraid to tackle. I don’t think the guy has bad character. I don't suspect they're ever going to have any coaching conflicts with him. He's humble. I don't think they took a lot of risk."

johbur
05-01-2010, 03:00 AM
I'm excited too.
Question: Does anyone here expect Rodgers numbers to be better this year than they were last year?
Curious.

That'll be a tough accomplishment, but better OL play and the development of the TE position could easily get the Packers another 5-8 TDs for A-Rod and cut off a couple of his picks. What could drag his numbers down is if enhanced OL play means more running the ball. I definitely see 4k yards, plus 30 TDs and fewer than 10 picks as a real possibility for next year. If a WR matures or the L gives a second more time, then A-Rod could post serious numbers given how accurate he is, how good his movement is and the development of Finley at the TE spot.

If his numbers do go down, but his completion percentage goes up, long plays go up, sacks go down, picks go down, running TDs go up and running yardage goes up, that's fine with me as that sounds like a recipe for getting to the SB.

umphrey
05-01-2010, 06:07 PM
It's tough because we should expect pretty much the same from everyone but better OL play, our main problem. But improving on his 103 rating and 30/7 TD/INT ratio would be almost projecting him as the MVP. Some of those sacks he took earlier in the season should have been throw aways so maybe that will affect completion percentage. Hopefully he doesn't start forcing throws or throwing jump balls instead for more interceptions.

Favre4ever
05-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Many thought Rodgers wouldnt have a better season last year than he had on his first season. Last season I thought he started the season a little bit slow but it also had something to do with the struggling OL play. Like i said last year, i think the sky is the limit for this guy and he could be the best QB in the league one day. He still has a lot to learn which is scary... Last year towards the end of the season he seemed to have hit his stride and looke almost unstoppable in many games.

J-Mike88
05-02-2010, 12:37 PM
One thing that shouldn't be overlooked is the fact that Rodgers has had WR1 & WR2 there for both full seasons.
Driver & Jennings have been very durable and fortunate health-wise.

Some of you may remember what happened to Favre back in the day when Robert Brooks, then Antonio Freeman went down. Favre's numbers were bad for a few years there, and now on the GrapeApes with a good cast of WR's, his great #'s came back.

So the WR cast is very important for Rodgers and let's just hope 85 & 80 stay healthy.

PACKmanN
05-02-2010, 11:21 PM
One thing that shouldn't be overlooked is the fact that Rodgers has had WR1 & WR2 there for both full seasons.

Some of you may remember what happened to Favre back in the day when Robert Brooks, then Antonio Freeman went down. Favre's numbers were bad for a few years there, and now on the GrapeApes with a good cast of WR's, his great #'s came back.

So the WR cast is very important for Rodgers and let's just hope 85 & 80 stay healthy.

Jennings was healthy last year?

TitleTown088
05-03-2010, 12:26 AM
I heard something interesting today.... only three players in this draft class had more career sacks than C.J. Wilson did in college.

princefielder28
05-03-2010, 07:14 AM
I heard something interesting today.... only three players in this draft class had more career sacks than C.J. Wilson did in college.

yeah, confusing as to why no 4-3 team took a chance late in the draft on him

cvv84
05-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm curious to see how we use Wilson. Assuming he makes the team, our nickel package could provide more of a pass rush from the defensive line (Wilson, Pickett, Raji, Jenkins) than last year.

TitleTown088
05-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm curious to see how we use Wilson. Assuming he makes the team, our nickel package could provide more of a pass rush from the defensive line (Wilson, Pickett, Raji, Jenkins) than last year.

yeah Wilson, Raji, Neal, and Jenkins all have the ability to upgrade that pass rush from the Dline.

J-Mike88
05-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Jennings was healthy last year?
Nobody is healthy after the first week or two.
How many games did Jennings miss though?

Whistler6
05-03-2010, 11:17 PM
These are the uniforms the Eagles will be wearing opening week against the Pack. #10 is Desean Jackson during is pee wee days...I mean a few weeks ago!

http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/files/2010/05/050310-Kelly-green-0031-300x267.jpg

johbur
05-04-2010, 03:42 AM

Toss in J-Mike to that WR corp. If you extrapolate the last half of his season to a full season, he could very well put up 75 catches, 850 yards and 8 TDs. If A-Rod favors the TE, he could hit 1k yards and 10 TDs. That'd be a pretty serious boost at the TE position. I don't count on rookies in the receiving corp, but if Quarles shows as an upgrade at the #3 TE spot, that'll open the offense even more. JJ and Jordyzzz also should be better.

J-Mike88
05-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Rank them in terms of indispensible.

In other words, if they get hurt for the season, who's the most important.

#1- Rodgers; He's the captain of the ship, Matt Flynn most likely isn't the next Tom Brady, or even Matt Cassell

#2- Woodson; He's the playmaker, the game-changer, and the only guy who can cover well anymore in our CB corrall

#3- Matthews; The only guy who conistently pressured QB's. We saw in AZ and Pit and MN what happens to our defense when nobody gets to QB's.

#4- Driver; He's been remarkably durable, consistent, and reliable. He means more to our team than a anyone realizes. It's the old addage: You don't know what you got til it's gone. I know.

#5- Jennings; Our deep threat, defenses can tighten up if he's out. They also can double Driver.

#6- Pickett; Our great run defense would suffer big time without Big Grease at the nose. Very underrated Packer, but TT paid the man big $ because he knows.

#7- Clifton & Tauscher; They're the same. When in there, Rodgers is much safer, feels more comfortable, and he racks up stats like 1984 Dan Marino. When they aren't there at OT, well meet Adewale Ogunleye and and Antwan Odom.

#9- Collins; Our mini-version of Ed Reed, he's a playmaker back there. He gambles a lot though, and when he guesses wrong, we see disasters like the Cardinal and Steeler game where Nick was AWOL.

#10- Tie, Sitton, Barnett, Jenkins, Grant, Finley; Sitton is so good, but he's un-noticable. That's a good thing usually for a OG. Barnett gets a bad rap, but he's solid out there, very good against the run, decent against the pass unless the fuquing D-coordinator makes him run with Early Doucett down the field 30 yards. Jenkins is our best interior pass rusher, which is why Neal and Wilson were brought in. CJ77 might be too good for this 3-4 system as he's a playmaking DE. Might leave for a 4-3 after this year.

Grant is our most underrated player. He simply produces, over and over. And unlike the flashier guys like Peterson, he doesn't cough the ball up all the time, or ever. Finley, as we know, is emerging into a Pro Bowl TE. He should be there this year if there are no catastrophic injuries to the Offense this year.

Who has a different list?

umphrey
05-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Toss in J-Mike to that WR corp. If you extrapolate the last half of his season to a full season, he could very well put up 75 catches, 850 yards and 8 TDs. If A-Rod favors the TE, he could hit 1k yards and 10 TDs. That'd be a pretty serious boost at the TE position. I don't count on rookies in the receiving corp, but if Quarles shows as an upgrade at the #3 TE spot, that'll open the offense even more. JJ and Jordyzzz also should be better.

Finley is a true star. Top 5 in the league next year, easily, as long as he's healthy. I'm becoming more realistic about Quarless. I think he's a year away. They might even try to hide him on the practice squad until next year. Think how long it took Finley, and he was a little more mature than Quarless, and we don't even know if Quarless is an NFL player or not.

J-Mike88
05-04-2010, 02:55 PM
If we're talking about the game winning catch by Mike Wallace as time expired, Bell had solid if not great coverage on that play. It was just a better catch.

If not, I'm going to have to go back and re-watch what you guys are talking about.

8ruR8taTegY

tjs, why did you run on the field last night?
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/baseball/mlb/05/04/phillies.tasered.ap/phillies-taser-ap2.jpg

tjsunstein
05-04-2010, 02:57 PM
tjs, why did you run on the field last night?
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/baseball/mlb/05/04/phillies.tasered.ap/phillies-taser-ap2.jpg

LOL, nope but I did see it. Hilarious. (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7819355)

Whistler6
05-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Under armour and all, that guy was prepared. Apparently he called his dad too, and told him to turn the game on and look for him. Pretty funny stuff.

GB12
05-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Alright, this is the Packers thread. There are other threads on that, take it there if you want to continue talking about it.

Whistler6
05-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Greg Jennings has a cameo as a lab technician on CBS' Criminal Minds tomorrow night:

"It was fun, it was fun," Jennings said. "I was going in letting them know this is not what I do. I'm on the football field. That's me, that's my domain. But the cast members were great, giving me feedback. They opened their arms and helped me as much as possible and tried to make me look as good as possible."

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2010/05/04/1/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Nice to see a Packer get a piece of the national spotlight...Now we'll just have to see if he can act.

cvv84
05-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Some random impressions/thoughts from the rookie minicamp:

Bulaga - He just reminds me alot of Clifton/Tausher. A guy who just goes out there, plays, and is underappreciated their entire career. The false starts were kind of to be expected but we'll see how he looks during the OTAs and if he learns from his mistakes.

Neal - For how much confussion that went with his selection I think in the end he's going to be a really good player. He's got that brute strength and agility down the line to be a complete 3-4 DE. And really can you blame the Packers for taking him? Can we trust Jolly to be the same player/person once he gets his payday? Or can we trust Jenkins to stay healthy and be productive into his 30s?

Quarless - This kid possibly looks like Finley.2 in the making. His athleticism is showing though I think he's going to need a year, like Finley, to develop. Still I could see him along with Finley and Havner as our TEs this season.

Starks - I'm really pulling for this guy. He just seems like a guy who'll breakout if given the chance. The injuries are a concern so I'm looking forward to seeing him during contact drills and the preseason.

J-Mike88
05-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Greg Jennings has a cameo as a lab technician on CBS' Criminal Minds tomorrow night:
http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2010/05/04/1/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Nice to see a Packer get a piece of the national spotlight...Now we'll just have to see if he can act.
Nice, gotta remember to set the DVR.
I wonder what his role is.

Hawk
05-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Nice, gotta remember to set the DVR.
I wonder what his role is.

I think he's gonna be a lab technician

umphrey
05-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Bulaga - He just reminds me alot of Clifton/Tausher. A guy who just goes out there, plays, and is underappreciated their entire career. The false starts were kind of to be expected but we'll see how he looks during the OTAs and if he learns from his mistakes.

False starts during rookie orientation? That is beyond irrelevant. I agree on the Clifton/Tauscher comparison in theory, but people will notice him more and have high expectations.

Neal - For how much confussion that went with his selection I think in the end he's going to be a really good player. He's got that brute strength and agility down the line to be a complete 3-4 DE. And really can you blame the Packers for taking him? Can we trust Jolly to be the same player/person once he gets his payday? Or can we trust Jenkins to stay healthy and be productive into his 30s?

He's my pick for biggest impact rookie year. Unlikely to start, but he'll get some third down snaps and grab peoples attention with a few sacks and TFLs some coming on third down. Kind of like how Justin Tuck made an impression his rookie year. He's a perfect fit for the position, physically mature with a high upside so it's getting hard to frown on the pick because "experts" called it a reach.

Quarless - This kid possibly looks like Finley.2 in the making. His athleticism is showing though I think he's going to need a year, like Finley, to develop. Still I could see him along with Finley and Havner as our TEs this season.

Temper your expectations. He's not as athletic with a greater chance to bust. Finley was a true gem. How many raw 3rd round picks turn into what he did? How about 5th round picks? How about the odds that you go 2/2 on a 3rd and 5th round pick? I want to wait til preseason to form too many opinions on him. Right now I'd give him a 75% chance to make the roster.

Starks - I'm really pulling for this guy. He just seems like a guy who'll breakout if given the chance. The injuries are a concern so I'm looking forward to seeing him during contact drills and the preseason.

Yeah, but I don't see any way he can handle 250 carries in a season and I don't know if his skillset is what you want out of a #2 back. He might be a great blocker though and catch screens for first downs. How often do you see a RB catch a pass on 3rd down and get tackled within 1-2 yards of the first down marker? He might be the rare exception with his power and size to move the chains.

J-Mike88
05-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Wow, it's almost 3:00 and not one post today? Everyone at PackerForum?
Solid, interesting piece here from Seifort breaking down the Packers-Vikings.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/12228/testing-out-green-bay-as-a-spring-favorite?utm_source=bleacherreport.com

Read it....
Thoughts?

umphrey
05-05-2010, 08:26 PM
It's a crap time to be a Wisconsin sports fan. Draft is over, practically no Packer news for months. No Badger basketball or football. Bucks just got knocked out of the playoffs after leading the series 3-2. Our baseball team looks hopeless right now with bad starting pitching, bad relief pitching and bad hitting, with failure coming from all over, can't blame individuals anymore.

This is speculation and overreaction season. Nothing to do but think about what ifs and form entire opinions on players based on one article that last until the next article comes out.

cvv84
05-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Don't the OTA's start May 16th?

But like umphrey said its pretty much a dead period right now for Wisconsin sports so unless the Brewers start playing better we're going to be waiting for Packers reports. I just hope that Family Night isn't going to get rained out again this year.

Whistler6
05-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Greg Jennings looked like a younger Johnny Salmons on Criminal Minds tonight, especially with that goatee. Not a big role by any means, but I'm impressed.

Possible acting future once his football career ends? Heck, if Brett Favre, "The Bos" and Michael Irvin can cross over, Jennings definitely could

umphrey
05-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Greg Jennings looked like a younger Johnny Salmons on Criminal Minds tonight, especially with that goatee. Not a big role by any means, but I'm impressed.

Possible acting future once his football career ends? Heck, if Brett Favre, "The Bos" and Michael Irvin can cross over, Jennings definitely could

It's all about if people recognize him after his football career, which they probably won't, unless he's a HOFer

princefielder28
05-06-2010, 06:01 PM
What do you guys think of bringing in JaMarcus Russell???

cvv84
05-06-2010, 06:28 PM

I'd say that I'd have to pass.

He's shown zero work ethic or dedication to the game. The pictures of him with all his "bling" at basketball games and kissing him hands when he throws a TD doesn't leave a great impression either. I'd rather keep developing Flynn, who doesn't have a high ceiling, but has the ambition to keep improving.

umphrey
05-06-2010, 06:43 PM
LOL

Tell me you're joking

princefielder28
05-06-2010, 08:34 PM
LOL

Tell me you're joking

McCarthy is a quarterback guru and it's not like we'd be asking him to contribute at all. He's got all the tools in the world but I rotten work ethic. Taking a look at him and seeing what can happen in a few months is worth the risk in my opinion.

umphrey
05-06-2010, 09:42 PM
McCarthy is a quarterback guru and it's not like we'd be asking him to contribute at all. He's got all the tools in the world but I rotten work ethic. Taking a look at him and seeing what can happen in a few months is worth the risk in my opinion.

OK it's hard to decide where to even start on this one
-He got kicked off the RAIDERS for being lazy
-Him and his personality are the exact opposite of what management looks for
-He is the exact opposite of the quarterback that can run our offense - he has a big arm and his "strength" is the deep ball, but slow release, can't read a defense, not accurate in the short/intermediate routes
-He is the exact opposite of what we will look for in a backup quarterback - we don't want a project, we want someone who can hold down the fort until Rodgers returns
-We don't like to carry 3 quarterbacks on the roster
-He is one of, if the THE worst quarterback in the league, including backups
-He got benched for BRUCE GRADGOWSKI and the team did better
-His teammates just don't seem to like him. We strive for locker room chemistry.

GB12
05-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I'm not even going to bother arguing. I think you already knew why it's a terrible idea. If not see umphrey's post.

Whistler6
05-06-2010, 10:54 PM
I'd say that I'd have to pass.

He's shown zero work ethic or dedication to the game. The pictures of him with all his "bling" at basketball games and kissing him hands when he throws a TD doesn't leave a great impression either. I'd rather keep developing Flynn, who doesn't have a high ceiling, but has the ambition to keep improving.

This is all the reason I need to say no. There's no room for a guy who got paid, sat on his butt, took his money and went to the buffet. No thanks.

tjsunstein
05-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Absolutely not. I'd take Matt Flynn over him. If Flynn got injured, I'd still take Flynn over him.

tjsunstein
05-06-2010, 11:21 PM
I have a dilemma. What do I do with my Aaron Kampman jersey?

GB12
05-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Wear it with pride.

princefielder28
05-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Absolutely not. I'd take Matt Flynn over him. If Flynn got injured, I'd still take Flynn over him.

I'm not even saying to bring him in to try and beat out Flynn, but it baffles me why we continue to be satisfied with Flynn as our backup and never bring in any developmental talent at the position.

Keep it for a rainy day or his Packers HOF induction

umphrey
05-07-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm not even saying to bring him in to try and beat out Flynn, but it baffles me why we continue to be satisfied with Flynn as our backup and never bring in any developmental talent at the position.

Because Rodgers will be our starting quarterback for the next 10 years barring a catastrophe.

With the special teams meltdowns we've had and the need for as many roster spots as possible at OL and DB, it makes sense to carry only 1 backup quarterback on the roster. The Ron Wolf era was famous for developing quarterbacks and then profiting by trading them - I don't think this regime sees that risk worth the potential reward. I don't either - If that roster spot makes a difference on special teams or ends up being a cornerback that plays dime in a playoff game, give me that. The alternative is the possibility of maybe turning a 6-7th-free agent QB into a 3rd round pick after 3 years of Mike McCarthy's time, Packer money, and taking up a seat on the bench.

Flynn is our new Doug Pederson.

Edit: Remembered- we did try with Brohm so although this is our second offseason without bringing in a quarterback that isn't a UDFA it's not like we haven't tried

Mr.Regular
05-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Nothing wrong with a Kampman jersey. Id wear some current Packers jerseys during the season and to games, but Kamp's a good guy, he loved Green Bay and we loved him... just didn't fit in anymore. Id for sure keep it around.

Mr.Regular
05-07-2010, 11:31 AM

Yeah, I agree with PF here. It wouldnt hurt to bring in some talent during TC to see if we can upgrade our backup position. Were one injury away from going from Super Bowl contenders to bottom of the barrel.

I dont know if Russell would be a smart move. I loved him coming out of college, I think the money just got to his head. If hes motivated to make a team maybe he could turn his career around?
I doubt it. But I wouldnt mind bringing in other arms to see if we can upgrade our backup role.

Problem is Flynn's been backup for some time now, Im sure he knows the playbook front and back. He may not be a lights out talent but we might not have to dumb down anything for him if he was forced into action.

ImBrotherCain
05-07-2010, 01:36 PM

8ruR8taTegY

I was at that game :(

tjsunstein
05-07-2010, 01:44 PM
I don't have a problem bringing in developmental talent at QB, but Russell isn't developmental talent. He's worthless as a person and player.

Favre4ever
05-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I don't have a problem bringing in developmental talent at QB, but Russell isn't developmental talent. He's worthless as a person and player.

Well... theres always this glimmer of hope when an indivual hits rock bottom that he will realise that he could take his life in hand. hes about to hit rock bottom very soon once nobody claims him. He should get a last chance somewhere and if it doesnt work out we'll welcome him to the CFL!!

PACKmanN
05-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Well... theres always this glimmer of hope when an indivual hits rock bottom that he will realise that he could take his life in hand. hes about to hit rock bottom very soon once nobody claims him. He should get a last chance somewhere and if it doesnt work out we'll welcome him to the CFL!!

the only place that would give him a chance is the place that he to and ate his way out of the league. He is a regular, so he has to get a job there.

Jim Jim
05-07-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm excited to see if Lee, Blackmon and Underwood make any strides this season.

Maybe Jarrett Bush will finally develop into that shutdown corner I've always envisioned him to be....

lol probably not.

cvv84
05-07-2010, 04:25 PM

Those are usually the best jerseys. 2 years ago at a home game my friend wore his Javon Walker jersey and he said to some other guy who was wearing the #84 "Hey you have a Walker jersey too?" The guys says no, turns around, and its a Billy Schroeder jersey!

GB12
05-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Well I agree that a Kampman jersey would still be great. However I sure as hell wouldn't say the same about Javon Walker. I'd never wear a Javon Walker jersey after he demanded his way out of town. Nothing cool about that one.

hoekd0250
05-07-2010, 04:59 PM
This is my first post on this site and have to agree kampman showed pride being here as a packer player and deserves the respect to still have his jersey worn. He polite left and never disrespected to packer tradition. I am srry to see him leave but yet glad he did as he fit in a 34 and did preform as he did have a high amount of qb pressures but you could tell he was uncomfortable at times and im glad he had the respect to stay quite and take care of business.

cvv84
05-07-2010, 05:05 PM
This is my first post on this site and have to agree kampman showed pride being here as a packer player and deserves the respect to still have his jersey worn. He polite left and never disrespected to packer tradition. I am srry to see him leave but yet glad he did as he fit in a 34 and did preform as he did have a high amount of qb pressures but you could tell he was uncomfortable at times and im glad he had the respect to stay quite and take care of business.

Welcome to the board.

J-Mike88
05-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Development left tackle in case Bulaga sticks at RT?

How long are J-Marc's arms?

Jim Jim
05-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Marshall Newhouse looks like Forest Whitaker.

bigboiajhawk
05-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Here is a link on the workout Anthony Levine, a tryout guy that was signed by the Pack, had for his pro-day, he is a great athlete, however, I don't think his athleticism has translated to the field. Seems like a solid training camp guy.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Anthony-Levine-stacks-up-with-best-combine-results.html

J-Mike88
05-08-2010, 09:07 PM
He sounds like Taylor Mays minus about 3 inches. Much cheaper. I like the look.
Weird that it's another safety though.... have I missed any CB draft picks or FA signings?

cvv84
05-08-2010, 09:12 PM
He sounds like Taylor Mays minus about 3 inches. Much cheaper. I like the look.
Weird that it's another safety though.... have I missed any CB draft picks or FA signings?

The guy looks like a CB. How many safties under 200 lbs do you see in the NFL these days?

umphrey
05-09-2010, 12:50 AM
Sam Shields:

Sam Shields, a cornerback his senior year at Miami, figures to signed as much for his special teams play as anything else. "Shields was named the Hurricanes' most valuable special teams player in '08," writes McGinn (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/92026479.html)."He went 90 yards on a reverse on the opening kickoff against Wisconsin in the Champs Sports Bowl, but the play was called back by penalty. He did not return any other kicks." It's noteworthy that Shields was arrested on marijuana possession charges recently. That makes two rookies that have an association with drugs, including tight end Andrew Quarless (although he claims it was his roommate's).

Undrafted free agent cornerback Sam Shields said he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.19 seconds between his junior and senior years at Miami.
A finalist in the Florida state high school 100-meter race (he finished seventh at 10.5), Shields said he figures he could have tried for the Olympics if he had put his mind to track and field.
"It was just a football thing," he said. "I was really focused on that."
Shields said he had scholarship offers from Miami, Florida, Florida State and LSU coming out of high school.

Keep an eye on this guy. Good speed does not make a good CB, but he has a very good chance to make the roster as a special teams ace. Harris will probably start the year on the PUP and since we didn't draft a CB there is room. He just has to beat the 2 guys we signed off the street mid season last year and he probably makes the cut. He's a planet theory guy, there aren't many people on the planet that can run as fast as him, so if he's useful on special teams he is definitely worth the roster spot to see if we can develop some coverage skills.

umphrey
05-09-2010, 03:12 AM
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/files/2009/03/clay-matthews-jr.jpg

Doesn't look like he's juicing to me. Strong, but doesn't have that abnormal growth look the juicers do. Really wish Cushing wasn't a juicer because people are going to wonder about Clay now, especially with his big rookie year and the weight gain at USC. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried, but I think he's clean.

http://jbum.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341bf70753ef0115703a1f8f970b-800wi

Brian Cushing, suspended for roids
Ray Maluaga, went to alcohol rehab
Roger Clemens, one of the most notorious juicers in baseball
...and Clay Matthews
:(

GB12
05-09-2010, 03:24 AM
I think the strong football history of his family really helps in this. His Grandfather, father, and uncle have all played in the NFL. His older brother played at USC, his younger brother plays at Oregon, his cousin played at TAMU and is trying out for the Titans, and his other cousin is going to TAMU next year. Obviously he has some good genes. That natural talent and a little work should have been all he needed.

J-Mike88
05-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Holy schit, talk about a serious SI cover Jinx that Clay has to overcome!

cvv84
05-09-2010, 12:42 PM
If you look at the Matthews family:

Bruce Matthews - 6'5" 305 lbs
Clay Matthews, Sr. - 6'3" 219 lbs
Clay Matthews, Jr. - 6'2" 245 lbs
Clay Matthews, III - 6'3" 250 lbs
Casey Matthews - 6'2" 235 lbs

The height definetly runs in the family and the weight is in line with the newer generation. He was a late bloomer and hopefully he hasn't and isn't using anything.

Whistler6
05-09-2010, 01:12 PM
If he wasn't on the Packers, sadly, I would already probably be condemning him. Still though, I am holding out hope Clay is clean. The fact that his entire family have been big brutes, the odds are with him that he's natural...I hope.

If Mathews' name is attached to this at all, I will cry.

cvv84
05-09-2010, 02:09 PM
If he wasn't on the Packers, sadly, I would already probably be condemning him.

Condemning him for what? Going to USC? Coming from a family full of football lineage? Guilty by association? Cushing's failed test occured at some point during last season after he tested clean at the combine so unless Matthews fails a test there should be no reason to thrust shame upon him. Just my opinion though.

Whistler6
05-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Condemning him for what? Going to USC? Coming from a family full of football lineage? Guilty by association? Cushing's failed test occured at some point during last season after he tested clean at the combine so unless Matthews fails a test there should be no reason to thrust shame upon him. Just my opinion though.

Yeah guilty by association. I'm not justifying my thought, just merely stating the human nature that has made our society one of "guilty until proven innocent."

Like I said, I am holding out hope Matthews is completely clean and completely innocent. I whole-heartedly believe he is one of the "good guys." It's just the pessimist in me that instantly sees fire where there is smoke. Do I think Matthews is a user? No absolutely not. But would I be surprised if he tested positive? No.

That's just the state of sports today. Superstars that we idolize are turning up dirty all the time...Whether it be Shawn Merriman, Ben Roethlisbgerger, Cushing, half of baseball, etc. In no way AM I condemning Matthews, I'm just saying knowing they are friends and previously teammates at USC, I wouldn't be shocked.

Again, if there is any attachment of Matthews to this...I will cry. That's the homer in me.

Jim Jim
05-09-2010, 07:57 PM
http://www.packers.com/team/players/joseph_alex/#

Nick Collins long lost brother?

Jim Jim
05-09-2010, 07:58 PM
oopsy. double post.

J-Mike88
05-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Yeah guilty by association. I'm not justifying my thought, just merely stating the human nature that has made our society one of "guilty until proven innocent."

Like I said, I am holding out hope Mathews is completely clean and completely innocent. I whole-heartedly believe he is one of the "good guys." It's just the pessimist in me that instantly sees fire where there is smoke. Do I think Mathews is a user? No absolutely not. But would I be surprised if he tested positive? No.

That's just the state of sports today. Superstars that we idolize are turning up dirty all the time...Whether it be Shawn Merriman, Ben Roethlisbgerger, Cushing, half of baseball, etc. In no way AM I condemning Mathews, I'm just saying knowing they are friends and previously teammates at USC, I wouldn't be shocked.

Again, if there is any attachment of Mathews to this...I will cry. That's the homer in me.
It ain't a typo if you did it 4 times, so:
Clay Matthews = two "t"'s.
Ryan Mathews = one "T".
Matthews is better, hence twice as many "T"s.

But I agree with you about the guilty by association.
If Cushing had access to these things, and he was tight with Clay, of course it's natural to assume they both might have used, as for example Canseco and McGwire in Oakland, the Bash Brothers.

Remember, Matthews really was small before which is why he had to walk-on.

If he was on the Vikings, we'd all be calling him Bozworth.

Now, he has great bloodlines and hopefully his dad has instilled in him to stay away from all that stuff. But these days, there's not a clear simple line of what supplements/vitamins are pefectly fine or not. Of course steroids per se are bad. But these days there is a lot more than simple steroids available to athletes.

Whistler6
05-09-2010, 09:02 PM
It ain't a typo if you did it 4 times, so:
Clay Matthews = two "t"'s.
Ryan Mathews = one "T".
Matthews is better, hence twice as many "T"s.

Matthews Mattews Matthews Mattews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews.

Sometimes an elementary school punishment is required in order for me to finally understand.

J-Mike88
05-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Matthews Mattews Matthews Mattews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews Matthews.

Sometimes an elementary school punishment is required in order for me to finally understand.
LOL.... it's easy to remember because Clay is twice as good as Ryan, hence the extra T.

umphrey
05-10-2010, 07:20 AM
What worries me is that he had easy access to them and had to turn them down, maybe more than once.

He is known for spending a lot of time in the weight room.
(You redshirted and were there a long time, so was it not just the weight room but you hit some growth spurts there too?)
Matthews: Yeah, absolutely. Fortunately and I guess unfortunately, Matthews are just late bloomers. The same with my dad and my uncle Bruce, we all going into college, we put on a tremendous amount of weight. It was just a little late in the recruiting process so you have to walk on here and there and make a name for yourself. That's what I had to do. You can talk to anyone at that program and they'll say I'm one of the hardest workers and I'm going to be in the weight room. Not just in the weight room, but on the practice field, watching film, game film, and they'll tell you the type of character that I possess.Read more here (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/93192324.html), he addresses other issues such as the weight gain information being spread around being somewhat inaccurate.

If you believe the pictures, they definitely will tell you he isn't a juicer. Lets look at some comparisons:

CM3:
http://pics.livejournal.com/molivarez/pic/0001edey/s320x240

David Boston:
http://phoenix.fanster.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/davidboston.jpg

Notice the weird lumps in his arms that almost look like tumors

Brian Cushing:
http://i29.tinypic.com/de6xb9.jpg

Notice the area above the armpit where the is a big muscle bulge, how did that get there?

Shawne Merriman:
http://www.thesunblog.com/sports/merrimanflex.jpg

Look at his spinal cord and where it runs up to the giant crater in his neck, indicating enormous muscle growth across the entire back

Barry Bonds:
http://pcgamereview.net/articles/videogametrainers/barrybonds.jpg

His head looks like a balloon for one and there's that strange muscle growth right on his elbow

DiG
05-10-2010, 08:22 AM
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7366/arodgers.jpg
Aaron at Kentucky Derby

umphrey
05-10-2010, 08:27 AM
dude has style

umphrey
05-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Some good news: Clay Matthews III has a chance to win DPOY for 2009

Cushing can't have it because of the failed test
The voting went like this:
Cushing-39
Byrd-6
Matthews-3
Orakpo-2

With the votes so stacked in Cushing's favor, they might vote again instead of just giving it to Byrd because he only won 6 votes, hardly anything relatively. Take Cushing out of the picture and it's a pretty close 3 man race IMO.

cvv84
05-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Some good news: Clay Matthews III has a chance to win DPOY for 2009

Cushing can't have it because of the failed test
The voting went like this:
Cushing-39
Byrd-6
Matthews-3
Orakpo-2

With the votes so stacked in Cushing's favor, they might vote again instead of just giving it to Byrd because he only won 6 votes, hardly anything relatively. Take Cushing out of the picture and it's a pretty close 3 man race IMO.

It would be nice for Clay but I know that I'd hate to "win" it this way - especially taking it from a former teammate and friend. Just imagine if Clay won and was to have taken something.

umphrey
05-10-2010, 04:51 PM
It would be nice for Clay but I know that I'd hate to "win" it this way - especially taking it from a former teammate and friend. Just imagine if Clay won and was to have taken something.

If Clay got caught juicing I would be devastated and losing an award wouldn't matter much to me. I'd be thinking about all the bad things besides losing the award.

J-Mike88
05-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Colledge signed his tender.

cvv84
05-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Colledge signed his tender.

Pretty much had to if he wants to compete for a job this year. I can't wait to cut ties with this guy. The guys coming in the past 2 years signal a more power movement which I'm enthused about as well.

Jim Jim
05-10-2010, 11:41 PM
I don't think Colledge will maintain his starting spot regardless.

Zycho32
05-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Hmmm. Would Colledge be better off being turned into a 'super-sub' as a quick-fix along the line should it be required, or does he suck too much to be utilized in such a way?

J-Mike88
05-11-2010, 08:58 AM
I know it's always a longshot, but I'm hearing some talk of Colledge possibly being dealt. Again, TT has made few trades, but this year there have been a ton in the NFL.

The Steelers have 4 solid OLBers by the way.

umphrey
05-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Colledge is useless to us. He can't play LT or LG, that's a given. He could be a backup at LG if we don't have a prospect worth developing, that's it. If he can't cut it on the left side of the line, he's too small for the right side, and center is out of the question, so his total value is a backup left guard that can start and not kill you with little to no developmental potential. I would trade him for a 7th in a heartbeat because if it were up to me he'd be cut.

If we trade him it absolutely has to be to a zone blocking team. I have no idea what teams run that, but Denver, Washington, Seattle, Atlanta come to mind.

Mr.Regular
05-11-2010, 11:10 PM
I don't like Colledge that much either, but he is a decent LG. We know he can't play tackle yes, but let's not forget that at times he's a pretty competent guard.

Problem is that we could have a bit of a logjam on our hands... Spitz is back from injury, MM says that Lang could be moved to LG, and we just drafted Newhouse...all these guys could be in the LG mix with Sitton entrenched on the right. If we can trade Colledge I think we should do it. A ZBS could use him at guard, and we have no real need for him anymore. Question is, would anyone take him considering he A-wants a new contract and B- I think it is known he doesn't have a future here...aka we have no leverage... We may have to settle for pretty bad value considering those things.

J-Mike88
05-12-2010, 06:50 AM
We learned our lesson with Justin Harrell. You can't just assume Spitz is going to be and stay healthy coming back from that bad back. Those things often linger.
TJ Lang right now is penciled in at RT, which is where I think he should be.
No more fricking musical chairs with these guys please.

J-Mike88
05-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Kudos to:
Bob Costas
John Clayton
Peter King
Dan Pompei

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-apnfldefensiverookievoterbreakdown

TitleTown088
05-12-2010, 10:48 PM
I don't like Colledge that much either, but he is a . We know he can't play tackle yes

I agree to an extent, but Colledge played some of his best football at RT.

Whistler6
05-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Kudos to:
Bob Costas
John Clayton
Peter King
Dan Pompei

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-apnfldefensiverookievoterbreakdown

Don't forget Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Like he said, "abstaining" might seem like a cop-out. But I completely respect Silverstein's handling.

The fact that many journalists still voted Cushing or changed their vote to Cushing is a black eye on the AP. I think a vote for Cushing is, in a way, condoning steroid use in the NFL. No one's perfect obviously, but I can't see awarding a guy who knowingly cheated and attempted to mask it with further drugs.

As a member of The Associated Press all-pro voting panel, I looked long and hard at this issue and struggled until the deadline this morning before
making my decision.

One thing I knew for sure: I was not going to vote for Cushing for defensive rookie of the year again. At the end of last season, I thought he was the runaway winner and voted in good conscience for him. But finding out this week that he had violated the NFL's anti-doping policy changed my opinion.

I was not a strong supporter of a revote. It's an unprecedented move by The AP and not enough time was given to examine the consequences of voting again. I think that if The AP felt it had to do something it should have just erased his name from the reward. In other words, vacate the honor.

As a responsible member of the panel, I felt I had to do something, and after consulting with an AP official I was told the rules did not prohibit someone from abstaining. So I withdrew Cushing's name and left the ballot blank. I was one of two voters who did so.

My rationale for taking Cushing off the ballot is that he was caught cheating by NFL standards and deserved to give up his honor. It doesn't speak well of the game if players who violate the anti-doping policy -- especially when they have a connection to anabolic steroid use -- keep winning awards they may or may not have deserved

As for abstaining, I don't feel great about that. On the surface, it might seem like a cop-out. But like I said earlier, I don't like how quickly the decision for a revote was made and the lack of policy in place to decide what should happen when honorees are found to have violated the NFL steroid policy.

Here's the full article: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/93622504.html?page=2#comments

JF4
05-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Ed Bouchette changed to Brian Cushing....Classic

ImBrotherCain
05-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Every Packer fan needs to see this!
The kids a Saints fan but watch from 1:55 to about 2:25. Classic

SSQPkDYZnDU

Whistler6
05-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Check out James Jone's comments regarding Brian Cushing and the DROY. He's definitely saying what a lot of others are thinking. It takes guts to speak out like that.

Most NFL players are inclined either to support Texans linebacker Brian Cushing (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5206), or to say nothing. One of the exceptions is Packers receiver James Jones (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4242).

In a Thursday segment with WSSP 1250 in Milwaukee, Jones made his views on the situation crystal clear.

"Do I have to comment on that?" Jones initially said, laughing. Later, he spoke his mind.

"If it was me, I probably would have just stripped (http://wssp.radiotown.com/audio/The_Big_Show/051310jamesjones.mp3) [the AP defensive rookie of the year award]," Jones said. "Obviously, you're basically saying it's OK to cheat and still get by. I mean, I don't think it was the right thing to do. I think [if] you cheated and used steroids you shouldn't be able to hold that award."

Surely, other players feel that way. We hope more of them follow Jones' lead.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/13/james-jones-sounds-off-on-brian-cushing/

princefielder28
05-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Is it really that big of a deal? He won the award so what. It kinda reminds me of the NBA rookie of the year race. Brandon Jennings didn't win with Evans and Curry ahead of him (neither of them in the playoffs). Matthews didn't win but he can say what the other three (Cushing, Byrd, Orakpo), that he got to experience the playoffs; which is a whole hell of alot cooler.

GB12
05-14-2010, 02:35 AM
Bryan Bulaga will be making an appearance at the Milwaukee Iron game tomorrow. I will be there as well covering the game. I can't promise anything, but I will be trying my hardest to get an interview with him. Does anyone have some good questions to ask him if I do happen to get the chance? I don't want to ask the same things he's answered a hundred times already like about his injury or arm length, but if you got anything let me know. It doesn't have to be football related either.

GB12
05-14-2010, 02:36 AM
Bryan Bulaga will be making an appearance at the Milwaukee Iron game tomorrow. I will be there as well covering the game. I can't promise anything, but I will be trying my hardest to get an interview with him. Does anyone have some good questions to ask him if I do happen to get the chance? I don't want to ask the same things he's answered a hundred times already like about his injury or arm length, but if you got anything let me know. It doesn't have to be football related either.

J-Mike88
05-14-2010, 06:47 AM
Ask him who the most talented player was that he played against in the Big Ten was, and who he played with.

TitleTown088
05-14-2010, 09:16 AM
@AaronRodgers12 Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to watch film with some of Espn's experts and hear them explain why teams play 2 slide behind . A storm blitz, and other fun conversations like that. Invitation is out there Todd mcshay

Things like this are another reason I like Rodgers so much.

Whistler6
05-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Is it really that big of a deal? He won the award so what. It kinda reminds me of the NBA rookie of the year race. Brandon Jennings didn't win with Evans and Curry ahead of him (neither of them in the playoffs). Matthews didn't win but he can say what the other three (Cushing, Byrd, Orakpo), that he got to experience the playoffs; which is a whole hell of alot cooler.

It is a big deal. Steroids, cheating and lying in the MLB are essentially a death sentence. Bonds, Clemens, and McGwire will always be remember for their (alleged) steroid use. In the NFL though, guys can test positive and rebound on a whim without any serious consequences (Shawn Meriman, Julius Peppers).

Cushing is merely an example of the problem with the NFL. The NFL is great, epic, awesome, but allowing a known cheater, who also just fabricated a BS story about a tumor, to keep his award is condoning use altogether.

Issues of morality or right/wrong, blah... I just want to watch guys light each other up. And Chances are I will forget about this once the season rolls around. But still, it just doesn't make any damn sense to me to award a user.

J-Mike88
05-14-2010, 04:33 PM
It's one thing to take steroids or HGH, and get caught. That's bad enough.
It's another to lie and deny (I did not have sexual relations with that woman) like Cushing has.
He's a punk.

And to the voters who still voted for him, after learning that the guy cheated and got caught and is being suspended for it, that's pathetic and it sends a bad message to everyone out there. Go ahead and if the cheating gets you ahead, look, you can still be rewarded for it with awards, as well as big contracts. What's a small suspension compared to all that glory and fame? Well worth it, according to those guys.

I'm with James Jones, Bob Costas, John Clayton, and Peter King.

princefielder28
05-14-2010, 07:04 PM
It is a big deal. Steroids, cheating and lying in the MLB are essentially a death sentence. Bonds, Clemens, and McGwire will always be remember for their (alleged) steroid use. In the NFL though, guys can test positive and rebound on a whim without any serious consequences (Shawn Meriman, Julius Peppers).

Cushing is merely an example of the problem with the NFL. The NFL is great, epic, awesome, but allowing a known cheater, who also just fabricated a BS story about a tumor, to keep his award is condoning use altogether.

Issues of morality or right/wrong, blah... I just want to watch guys light each other up. And Chances are I will forget about this once the season rolls around. But still, it just doesn't make any damn sense to me to award a user.

I'm not saying that steriods are ok, but it's only a rookie of the year award. Is it really that important? NO! I think getting the playoffs is far greater than any award Matthews could receive as a rookie and I guarantee he's not too bummed out over the whole situation.

J-Mike88
05-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Oh I agree Matthews isn't bummed out at all about it.

But the DROY award is a nice award and lasts forever.... well unless a guy cheats along the way and is stripped of it.

This was a chance for the voters to send a message to the cheater, and the kids of America, teach the guy a lesson. But they, for some reason, felt like the AP deserved to be punished more than the substance abuser.

More power though to Costas, King, and Geek Clayton for seeing the big picture in this little situation. Well it's not that little since Cushing is suspended for the first 4 games of this season. But it should have been last season. Such a stupid long process.

Whistler6
05-14-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm not saying that steriods are ok, but it's only a rookie of the year award. Is it really that important? NO! I think getting the playoffs is far greater than any award Matthews could receive as a rookie and I guarantee he's not too bummed out over the whole situation.

Oh absolutely, I'm not disagreeing there. As a Packer fan, I am not beat up about Matthews (finally spelled his name right) not winning the award. I'm just speaking about the issue as a whole.

Writers still giving their vote to Cushing, Cushing churning out a mouthful of bull ****, the NFL kind of tapping him on the wrist with no other consequences, it's just a black eye on the state of illegal drug use and the NFL. But the dominatrix that is will survive without the bat of an eye.

I guess we can just be stoked we are Packer fans, and for the most part, Ted Thompson has this organization running the right way... With "Packer people." Let's get back to the Pack then. T-minus 3 months until preseason game 1 against the Brownies at La-La-Lambeau!

Whistler6
05-14-2010, 11:04 PM
This makes me smile...Players hanging together during the offseason.

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/855174206/BEAMIN_FOOL_bigger.jpg (http://twitter.com/account/profile_image/willblackmon27?hreflang=en)
willblackmon27:
Just had cake and ice cream like some 5 years olds with @ClayMatthews52 (http://twitter.com/ClayMatthews52), aj hawk, chillar and brett goode.

Whistler6
05-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Things like this are another reason I like Rodgers so much.

He is the man. I don't mind McShay, but Rodgers makes a great point. The challenge is out there Todd! I like the "McSpraytan" reference in the random thread, haha.

Whistler6
05-14-2010, 11:33 PM

Dan Patrick has done this more than a few times to change up the same old questions that major athletes get as they make the rounds but... Straight faced, "If you were put in the octagon with __________, could you him?" Or some variation of that.

-Bj Raji
-Daryn Colledge or anyone on the O-line he might be competing with
-Aaron Rodgers
-Ryan Grant
-college teammates
-etc.

It might seem kind of pointless, but I think it's a pretty funny way to end an interview. If nothing else, it usually gets a laugh and can be refreshing after countless recycled questions.

GB12
05-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Yeah, didn't happen. I was handed a "signed" picture of him when I walked in and later got to talk to him briefly, but I wasn't able to get an interview. I'm guessing he split right after he did the coin toss.

Whistler6
05-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Greg Bedard wrote a really great article about Jermichael Finley and his maturity over the last season. Bedard's article is pretty long, but ProFootballTalk summed it up well. I feel a strong man-crush developing inside of me...And wow I'm stoked for this season!

"I want it all (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/93864379.html)," Finley tells Bedard. "I want to be the best tight end in the league, and I want to be a better father, husband and teammate. . . . I want people to know they can look at Jermichael Finley (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4717) and say, 'That's a Packer.' That's what I'm shooting for."

"I want fans to feel they can trust me and believe in me," Finley said. "The young, immature Finley, I thought he was foolish. And the new Finley, I think is going to do the work, do what he's supposed to do and be that player the Packers know I can be and all the fans out there too."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/15/jermichael-finleys-epiphany-could-be-great-for-green-bay/

Whistler6
05-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Here's the link to Bedard's original article:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/93864379.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=packers

J-Mike88
05-16-2010, 06:47 AM
Still a little concerned that J-Mike's knee is still bothering him and he is going to be seeking outside treatment. It's been about 5 1/2 months since that injury, which caused him to miss 3 games.

LonghornsLegend
05-16-2010, 11:48 AM
I've had a man crush on Finley since the first time he caught 1 pass at UT, I think I'm gonna buy my first Packers jersey ever this year. I pleaded with everyone in the Cowboys forum that if we were going to trade Fasano to take Finley but of course we go with Martellus Bennett :( I may get some(or alot in some cases) prospects wrong, but I saw this coming a mile away and I thought it was a no brainer since we wanted a 2nd TE and use so many 2 TE sets. It's probably better for Finley though because he can be the man in GB and here he would always be 2nd fiddle.

Dude is going to be an animal no doubt about it, I'm really excited for everyone to see what he can do now that the game has slowed down for him. Oh how I wish he was on the Cowboys....

cvv84
05-16-2010, 12:25 PM
I've had a man crush on Finley since the first time he caught 1 pass at UT, I think I'm gonna buy my first Packers jersey ever this year. I pleaded with everyone in the Cowboys forum that if we were going to trade Fasano to take Finley but of course we go with Martellus Bennett :( I may get some(or alot in some cases) prospects wrong, but I saw this coming a mile away and I thought it was a no brainer since we wanted a 2nd TE and use so many 2 TE sets. It's probably better for Finley though because he can be the man in GB and here he would always be 2nd fiddle.

Dude is going to be an animal no doubt about it, I'm really excited for everyone to see what he can do now that the game has slowed down for him. Oh how I wish he was on the Cowboys....

Finley wasn't even a starter last year. He got the majority of the yardage lined up in the slot. We we're basically using him as a oversized WR against smaller DBs and in one on one coverage against LBs. This season he's going to start though. He's really given us that all around threat that we've lacked from the TE position for the past decade.

umphrey
05-16-2010, 12:49 PM
He's a star. There is a good chance he will be the best tight end in the league at some point in his career. Some people are waiting for him to develop or mature...not me. Last year he proved to me that he's a star and he's already there. He's got room to grow but he's already playing as well as any tight end in the top 5-8 range. As long as he doesn't get hurt he'll be a star in this league. The only thing capable of stopping Jermichael is his knee.

I'm really not one to overhype any Packer. Finley is just a player I really believe in and I feel he is under-appreciated and I get slightly annoyed when people call him raw or underdeveloped because he isn't anymore. When he came into the league I was hoping his family would motivate him and that's exactly what happened.

umphrey
05-16-2010, 01:00 PM
This is probably stupid, but I feel pretty much the same way about our offensive line as I did about the Brewers starting pitcher rotation before the season, and that frightens me.

J-Mike88
05-16-2010, 02:42 PM
J-Mike's blocking has gotten better, much better, but I want that guy catching a lot of passes, not blocking and risking getting rolled up on.

Can you guys imagine if Quarless blossoms into what we think his potential is?
Can anyone think of a potentially better 1-2 TE Combo?

I don't think we (will) need a 5th WR anymore really other than special teams factors. Our 4th WR is already better than some teams #2 WR, IMO.

Whistler6
05-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Still a little concerned that J-Mike's knee is still bothering him and he is going to be seeking outside treatment. It's been about 5 1/2 months since that injury, which caused him to miss 3 games.

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/900153170/locked_in_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/JermichaelF88) JermichaelF88 (http://twitter.com/JermichaelF88)

Ok for everyone talking abt my knee. It's not still hurt it's just a tad bit weak thats all.. Nothing wrong..I'm still running the same..thx

http://twitter.com/JermichaelF88

umphrey
05-16-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm not doing what if's with Quarless anymore because he's so much of a long shot to be a legitimate threat. I'm waiting until preseason to see if I think he makes the roster or not.

cvv84
05-16-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm not doing what if's with Quarless anymore because he's so much of a long shot to be a legitimate threat. I'm waiting until preseason to see if I think he makes the roster or not.

I don't think he's a longshot at all. The only one standing in his path is Donald Lee, who's $2 million is a little much for a backup. The only bubble rookies I think are Marshall Newhouse and C.J. Wilson.

umphrey
05-16-2010, 06:22 PM
I could definitely see Quarless on the practice squad next year. Donald Lee can block. Quarless might not have any NFL skills by the season opener. That might not be the case, but Quarless is going to take some time to be anything close to a complete player. He's more raw than Finley was 2 years ago.

J-Mike88
05-16-2010, 07:17 PM
I could definitely see Quarless on the practice squad next year. Donald Lee can block. Quarless might not have any NFL skills by the season opener. That might not be the case, but Quarless is going to take some time to be anything close to a complete player. He's more raw than Finley was 2 years ago.
They like Q too much to risk trying to stash him on the practice squad like they did with Meredith and Brohm last year. Isn't Spencer Duck Tape Havner injured too, thanks to his drunk-induced little cycle crash?

Jim Jim
05-16-2010, 07:28 PM
I seriously doubt Quarless would last on our practice squad. Someone would sign him off.

He's more than likely going to be the third TE.

cvv84
05-16-2010, 07:45 PM

There's no way he'd last on the practice squad. He may be raw but I don't think he's as raw as Finley was coming into the NFL. Quarless was a senior compared to the redshirt sophomore that Finley was. I don't think we really need him to be a complete player either. He'd be the #2 TE at best and used mainly as a receiver.

Hawk
05-18-2010, 02:22 PM
seeing stuff like this is funny

@RyanGrant25 what time is practice Tom??

J-Mike88
05-18-2010, 04:56 PM
ClayMatthews52 -Thought it was a very encouraging 1st OTA. Few mistakes but overall looked good!!

cjwilson95 @RyanGrant25 -good job today big dog

cjwilson95 -First real practice as a Packer! Glad to be apart of this program. Really great coaches and Team mates.. Packer Pride!!

J-Mike88
05-18-2010, 04:58 PM
JUSTIN HARRELL SIGHTING: (and not in the trainers room)

The Packers held out some veterans from practice, including Chad Clifton (knees), Jason Spitz (back), Will Blackmon (knee), Nick Barnett (knee), Derrick Martin (ankle) and T.J. Lang (wrist). Coach Mike McCarthy likes to take things slow with veterans. Clifton and possibly Barnett could practice Wednesday in the session open to the public (11:15 a.m., Ray Nitschke Field).

Lang and Martin are still in casts from their surgeries, which took place in early April. Martin is using a wheeled knee walker to help keep weight off his foot.

End Justin Harrell (back) and cornerback Pat Lee (knee) were among those that returned to the practice field after being injured last season.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/94184664.html

J-Mike88
05-18-2010, 08:22 PM
HAWK, are you and I the only ones following the Packers right now?

As terrible as the Brewers have been, I find it puzzling that there's still way more Brewer discussion on this football website than their is Packer discussion, and today was the beginning of the Packer practice schedule.

princefielder28
05-18-2010, 08:27 PM
There's really nothing to talk about at this point....

the biggest news related to the Packers today in Green Bay was the two bullet holes found in the glass at the Atrium this morning

cvv84
05-18-2010, 08:56 PM
There's really nothing to talk about at this point....

the biggest news related to the Packers today in Green Bay was the two bullet holes found in the glass at the Atrium this morning

^^^ This

Once some actual news starts coming out its going to be slow paced.

Whistler6
05-18-2010, 09:22 PM
We can only breakdown prospects/rookies and talk Superbowl odds for so long before it's just recycled information. The 1st day of OTA's isn't really big news either. Yeah Justin Harrell returning to the field deserves mention, but it's a slow time in Green Bay.

With the NBA playoffs, NBA draft/lottery, NHL playoffs and MLB season (RIP Trevor Hoffman), there is just a lot more interesting news going on in the world of sports other than OTA's sightings.

That said, it's still...

1.) NFL
2.) Everything else

J-Mike88
05-18-2010, 10:52 PM
We can only breakdown prospects/rookies and talk Superbowl odds for so long before it's just recycled information. The 1st day of OTA's isn't really big news either. Yeah Justin Harrell returning to the field deserves mention, but it's a slow time in Green Bay.

With the NBA playoffs, NBA draft/lottery, NHL playoffs and MLB season (RIP Trevor Hoffman), there is just a lot more interesting news going on in the world of sports other than OTA's sightings.

That said, it's still...

1.) NFL
2.) Everything else
Ain't that the truth.

But for me, there's the French Open and Wimbledon coming up in the next 6 weeks, with each tourney being 2 weeks long.

We also have the golf U.S. Open in June (who will Tiger shag?), and somehow I am actually a bit excited by the World Cup which starts June 11.

J-Mike88
05-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Nice story on Charles Woodson today from the V-Mouse:
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100518/PKR07/100518179/1058/PKR01/Mike-Vandermause-column-Woodson-loves-Green-Bay-and-it-loves-him

Few snippets:
Woodson didn’t want anything to do with the Packers when he became an unrestricted free agent following the 2005 season. But when no other team wanted Woodson, he reluctantly signed with the Packers.

“I have a lot of respect for Ted,” Woodson said. “I know he had to feel something in his heart about me to dismiss everything that was said about me coming from Oakland, so I appreciate that and I appreciate him bringing me to this community.”

After playing eight seasons with the Raiders, many teams considered Woodson injury prone and difficult to coach. Woodson was stunned when the Packers made the only legitimate offer.

The only thing missing now for Woodson is a Super Bowl championship. The way everything else has fallen into place, maybe that’s next on his list.

“We’ve got a lot of good guys back and we feel like we can make a run for it this year,” Woodson said.

Woodson is a gem for us, obviously, but let's not pretend like he was a slam-dunk. Easy to see he's great now, but he was great when he was drafted too, but like Randy Moss, fell out of favor. His skill was questioned. His age was questioned. They said he had declined, was almost washed-up. Was injury-prone. Had a bad attitude.

I see a similar opportunity right now to obtain another former top pick, who has also been to multiple Pro-Bowls, and who also has some injury-questions as Woodson did. And he's a guy who is only 25 years old and can be had, perhaps, for our #64 pick in next year's draft. Had now. For this season, with next years pick. That's like a free year.

And he'd be a lethal bookend with Clay Matthews and would command double teams on passing downs, allowing Clay Matthews to see more single blocks.

Farve would go down. Hard. Often.

Many passive sceptics won't like it, and I remember hearing them say the same thing about Moss, about Woodson.
Many of you might not like it because Merriman peaked 3 years ago, and because he came off a bad knee last year and his production sucked last year.
But most players coming off bad knees take a year to come back strong. He had that year last year and it's created a possible bargain on a silver platter as was the case for New England with Randy Moss.

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp107/CentreCourt2009/merriman-matthews.jpg

umphrey
05-19-2010, 01:37 PM
I have a good feeling about a healthy Pat Lee. Maybe Underwood in 1 year or so too.

Brady Poppinga playing first team LOLB with Brad Jones 2nd team. What's the deal with that? Even though it's the first OTA without pads even I don't see the logic.

the dude
05-19-2010, 02:48 PM

i havent got the link, but im sure i read somewhere that the chargers want a 1st for him

cvv84
05-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Raji promoted to starting NT while Pickett will move to LE. Interesting move and might spell the end of Johnny Jolly in Green Bay. If he gets off on his drug case I'd shop him and hope for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

cvv84
05-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Wow another positional move, Will Blackmon has shifted to safety. Might be a good move for him seeing his ball skills haven't translated into the pro game.

Jarrett Bush will focus strickly on CB. We also signed QB Grahm Harrell.

GB12
05-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Raji promoted to starting NT while Pickett will move to LE. Interesting move and might spell the end of Johnny Jolly in Green Bay. If he gets off on his drug case I'd shop him and hope for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I don't like that at all. I mean I'm sure it'll work, but still. Pickett was so good at NT last year and we just gave him a new contract. Why mess with it. Not to mention that Jolly played pretty damn well last year too. I understand they want to get Raji involved, but I'd start with Jenkins-Pickett-Jolly again this year.

J-Mike88
05-19-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't like that at all. Pickett was so good at NT last year and we just gave him a new contract. Why mess with it. Not to mention that Jolly played pretty damn well last year too. I understand they want to get Raji involved, but I'd start with Jenkins-Pickett-Jolly again this year.
I agree with you.
Our run-defense was the best in the NFL last year and that wasn't fools gold. It was legit, and Big Pick in the middle was the main reason IMO.

Why mess with that?

Our defensive focus needs to be getting more pass rush on QBs like Bert and Jay and Eli and McNabb this year, then on Brees and Manning or Rivers in the Super Bowl. Anyone care to explain how changing this helps that?

Also, is moving Poppinga ahead of Brad Jones..... well what's up with that?
Poppinga all of a sudden stepped up his game? It'd be great if Kevin Greene was able to transfer his pass rush ability over to Popps. But that can't happen, can it?

GB12
05-19-2010, 06:27 PM
I think that's so Jones doesn't get too comfortable with his starting spot. We didn't bring anyone else in so Poppinga is the one to provide competition. I'd count on Jones starting by the first preseason game though.

Whistler6
05-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Another move, the Pack released Chris Pizzotti shortly after signing Graham Harrell. Could be interesting.

http://twitter.com/jasonjwilde

EDIT: Nevermind, Cvv posted this above.

Whistler6
05-19-2010, 09:06 PM
I don't like that at all. I mean I'm sure it'll work, but still. Pickett was so good at NT last year and we just gave him a new contract. Why mess with it. Not to mention that Jolly played pretty damn well last year too. I understand they want to get Raji involved, but I'd start with Jenkins-Pickett-Jolly again this year.

I completely read the article wrong at first, but I agree 100%. Pickett is an excellent NT. I'm not sure why they are moving him to DE, but having Pickett and Raji on the field together, with possibly Poppinga could make them tougher against the run. It's not definite though. If it doesn't work out, they just switch back.

According to Greg Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Raji and Pickett could revert to their original positions.

"Both Mike Trgovac and Dom Capers said Raji and Pickett could switch back," write Besard on Twitter.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/fanblogs/94349649.html?utm_source=loungefeed&utm_medium=packers

Whistler6
05-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Ain't that the truth.

But for me, there's the French Open and Wimbledon coming up in the next 6 weeks, with each tourney being 2 weeks long.

We also have the golf U.S. Open in June (who will Tiger shag?), and somehow I am actually a bit excited by the World Cup which starts June 11.

I am absolutely stoked for the World Cup. International soccer is almost as exciting as it gets to me. It's another reason I can't watch the MLS though, because the talent level does not even remotely compare.

But since this is the Packers thread, I'll cap off a futbol post with this...Clay Mattews said if he wasn't an NFL player, and had the choice of any other career, it would be a plastice surgeon. Pointless, but neat anyways.

http://twitter.com/ClayMatthews52