PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83

J-Mike88
08-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Some news from today's practice, currently going on:

packersinsider Nice: Nickel D: Matthews @ LOLB, Chillar @ ROLB, Barnett & Bishop in the middle.

MikeVandermause Another packed house and fans lined up along fences. Crowd estimate: 2500.

Mason Crosby struggling again. He needs to be afforded the luxury of having the same farking holder for once! It's like changing setters in volleyball. Or doubles partners in tennis. It takes time with the same guy. Not fair to Mason.

More on rookie RB James Starks, who hasn't played since 2008:
There is a chance this hamstring injury – more of a problem for speed players than others – could linger.

Starks was initially injured during an off-season practice on May 20. He didn’t practice again. Starks also said the injury wasn’t fully healed when he took the test more than two months later.

“It probably wasn't 100%,” he said. “Tried to see where I was at and did a little more than I should have.”
May 20th, and today it's August 2nd. That's not good.
All guys heal from muscle things differently. Some bounce back faster than others.
We're almost at 2 1/2 months here, and he's not been tackled once yet as a pro.

Perhaps this is why Vandermause or was it Demovsky, mentioned Brian Westbrook today.

TitleTown088
08-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Deja vu....?

Defensive end Justin Harrell made it just halfway through the fourth practice of Green Bay Packers training camp Monday afternoon before leaving for unspecified reasons.

One of the Packers' defensive players said Harrell told him on the field that he was suffering from fatigue and heat-related symptoms. However, the player didn't see Harrell afterward and admitted he wasn't certain why he left.

Harrell still wasn't in the locker room about an hour after practice. Later, one of the team's equipment attendants gathered Harrell's street clothes from his locker and left the room.

It was hot and humid Monday at Nitschke Field for the 2 p.m. workout, which didn't end until 4:25.

Harrell appeared to be in some distress within the first 30 to 45 minutes. He frequently removed his helmet during individual drills, sat on his haunches and appeared to be stretching his torso and back.

After standing around with the rest of the defense during a lengthy jog-through, Harrell ran off to the nearby Hutson Center at 3:15 during a drill change and wasn't seen again.

J-Mike88
08-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Deja vu....?
Is he really that unluckily-fragile, or does this guy simply have s low tolerance of pain/discomfort?

He's never really been involved in a lot of battles/action in the trenches to get that injured in the first place.

Unlike a guy like Pickett who has had hundreds of big battles with 2, 3 O-linemen, been run over, twisted, etc.

umphrey
08-03-2010, 08:34 AM
He's got a bad back that's never going to heal and surgery isn't going to help it. He might be better off missing a limb. He should have just retired. I must have been delusional when I gave him a 30% chance to play this year. I was thinking after some rest (2 years?) they could dope him up and give him cortisone shots to get something out of him but that only stretches so far - not far enough apparently.

umphrey
08-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Brad Jones isn't practicing either... surprised that isn't getting talked about more. He's one of the most important players on the defense because we are counting on a strong sophomore season from him and there isn't much depth there. We could put Chillar, Poppinga, or even Hawk there but any one would handicap the defense and our pass rush. Chillar is light, he can't stop the run or shed blockers well. Poppinga is a straight line rusher and he can't cover. Hawk would shift up the MLBs (which would be fine) but I seriously doubt his ability as an edge rusher and his coverage is suspect.

princefielder28
08-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Harrell's absence yesterday was due to the heat and he is back on the field today

umphrey
08-03-2010, 12:03 PM
If I understand it correctly Jolly got off completely clean as long as he follows the rules for 1 year. That's great news for us. We probably get him back next year and just when training camp is opening we'll know for sure he is in good shape. Maybe there is now a chance he could even appeal the suspension to shorten it. I would feel a lot better about staying out of trouble for a year if he spent half of it focusing on football. He should make that arguement to Goodell.

J-Mike88
08-03-2010, 02:44 PM
I've written Jolly off totally as a future Packer and I think he actually belongs behind bars for awhile. Goodell agrees apparently and he dishes out his own justice non-dependent on what the courts decide. I like that. Except.... I wish he'd suspend those fatass Williams brothas.

PackerLegend
08-03-2010, 04:09 PM
I do agree Jolly deserved to get suspended. I do not agree how long and when the suspension came down. The guy hasnt been convicted of anything at all yet so a year long suspension is kind of a joke imo. I will give the guy another chance and if he can complete what has been asked of him below I think he deserves another chance.

Jolly will have to serve 160 hours of community service, including making 10 speaking engagements in the Houston area on avoiding drug use, during the year-long period. Those will be coordinated through a court drug intervention program called STAR, according to attorneys.

State district Judge Mike Anderson spoke at length about many of them in open court to Jolly.

Jolly will not be able to consume drugs or alcohol, and must stay away from establishments that serve alcohol. He must report monthly to Harris County probation officials and submit to random drug and alcohol testing.

Anderson also told Jolly that if a doctor prescribes any medication for him, the doctor must make contact with the court

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 10:58 AM
We need to have more chatter in here..... I see Lions posts more often than in here. They have like 2 wins in 2 years, we can go a lot better.

So far from camp:
Biggest news is no big news, meaning no injuries of significance.
Brad Jones is a bit hobbled but nothing serious.
Bigby, well we're used to that.

Matt Flynn has not looked good.
Crosby still struggling, but I don't like the fact that it's about his 10th holder in 2+ seasons, and the guy he kicked em all with yesterday was Tim Masthay, the punter who has at best a 50% chance of making the team.

Matt Flynn should continue to be his holder. As long as Arod is around, Flynn won't be needed at QB anyway. If Flynn is needed at QB, then we're basically screwed anyway.

But the hold is very important for a kicker. It's much the same as a partner in doubles (tennis), or having the same catcher for a particilar pitcher, the same setter who knows where the hitters like the ball set, etc. If anyone plays golf here, you know what a big difference a tiny variation makes with the way the ball is tee'd up, how high, low, etc.

Still not sure what to make of Justin Harrell. I don't expect him to be in uniform in Philly come Sept 12th, that's all I feel. Hope I'm wrong.

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 11:19 AM
this from this morning's practice (thursday)

Greg_A_Bedard: Bigby will have surgery tomorrow on his ankle for a second time. McCarthy didn't know whether it will be season ending

Later he said if not IR, he will be on the PUP and miss the first 6 weeks at least.

Hello Morgan Burnett. Thank God they drafted him.

drowe
08-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Random early training camp thoughts.

-The Jermichael Finley hype machine is getting a little old. It was fun last year to think of him as a dynamic matchup nightmare. And, that's what he turned into. And, we get it. He's mature now. And, still talented. But, really, anytime somebody gets hyped up this much, reconstructive knee surgery isn't too far behind.

-Speaking of hype and injuries...yeah, I'm not drinking the Justin Harrell kool-aid again. between the Journal-Sentinel and the Press-Gazzette, there seems to be an article everyday stating that Justin Harrell is still healthy. Reminds me of a Simpsons episode when Homer invented the "everything is ok alarm". But, really, the d-line works best as a rotation. and the rotation is better if a talent like Harrell is a part of it.. I'd love to see him contribute. But, he has chronic back issues. this means, he'll withstand the rigors of training camp, only to be taken out while bending over to tie his shoes.

-Speaking of guys named Harrell...let's give Graham a roster spot. We need to groom a backup with some upside, and I don't think Matt Flynn has it. I see Flynn as a checkdown game manager type. And, I don't see our offense operating with that type of QB. Graham Harrell has success running a verticle offense. I know he's a project...but, I think he's the type of backup we need if Rodgers ever goes down.

-Speaking of guys on the bubble with a lot of upside...I AM drinking the Sam Shields kool-aid. How can we NOT have a spot for a potential special teams ace? his potential at CB may be a couple years away, but, if he can spend that time returning kicks, give him a few years. besides. Same Shields is the most awesome name for a cornerback since Quentin Jammer.

-I love our offensive line...in 2012. Bulaga-Newhouse-Spitz-Sitton-Lang...awesome.

-I think I'm TOO into fantasy football. When the fake news about Favre's fake retirment broke, i thought.."hmm...what does this mean...well, Sidney Rice's value goes down...AD's value goes up. one less capable QB on the board...oh yeah.....and this greatly increases the Packer's chances of winning the division."

-keep in mind that I've never typed the word "Jordyzzz" in my entire stay on these forums...but, I think he breaks out this year.

jackalope
08-05-2010, 12:06 PM
-Speaking of guys on the bubble with a lot of upside...I AM drinking the Sam Shields kool-aid. How can we NOT have a spot for a potential special teams ace? his potential at CB may be a couple years away, but, if he can spend that time returning kicks, give him a few years. besides. Same Shields is the most awesome name for a cornerback since Quentin Jammer.

Everything I've heard about Shields has been positive: steal pickup, tons of special teams potential, more mature, and now he's doing well in camp. It would be great to see him pan out, because corner depth and special teams are two spot we could really use help.

princefielder28
08-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Don't count on Graham Harrell making it...while he has experience in a vertical passing game, his arm isn't nearly strong enough to hold a spot in the NFL

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 02:18 PM
If Shields can spark us just once or twice on special teams, even blow up like a Devin Hester or Dante Hall 8 years ago.... wow.

I loved the pickup of Graham Harrell after seeing him in Lubbock for 2 pheomenal years, getting the ball to Crabtree at the right time in the right spots. But I'm not sure of his upside. But remember, you do not need a rocket arm to succeed at QB in the NFL, and Jarmarcus Russell showed that even if you do, and even if you are big & strong, that doesn't matter if you can't throw fast & accurate.

Don Banks is drinking the Kool-Aid now too? (http://packersinsider.com/2010/08/sis-don-banks-green-bay-starts-season-as-my-nfc-favorite/)
I wish Peter King and Banks were psychic !

princefielder28
08-05-2010, 02:21 PM
You don't need a huge arm, I agree, but you need a capable arm and Harrell doesn't possess an arm that make the good majority of NFL throws...if we're looking for someone with experience in a vertical passing game and possesses a stronger arm than Harrell, then let's go after Colt Brennan

GB12
08-05-2010, 03:02 PM

-The Jermichael Finley hype machine is getting a little old. It was fun last year to think of him as a dynamic matchup nightmare. And, that's what he turned into. And, we get it. He's mature now. And, still talented. But, really, anytime somebody gets hyped up this much, reconstructive knee surgery isn't too far behind.
Finley is going to be a ******* beast this year. Once the media found out about it they won't shut up, but he's going to be huge.

-Speaking of guys named Harrell...let's give Graham a roster spot. We need to groom a backup with some upside, and I don't think Matt Flynn has it. I see Flynn as a checkdown game manager type. And, I don't see our offense operating with that type of QB. Graham Harrell has success running a verticle offense. I know he's a project...but, I think he's the type of backup we need if Rodgers ever goes down. No thank you. I pretty much agree with what you're saying, but not this year and not with Harrell. I'd much rather keep Flynn than Harrell. If we're going to do that we need to draft someone who's decent and worth the time. Oh and hopefully doesn't suck as much as Brian Brohm.

-Speaking of guys on the bubble with a lot of upside...I AM drinking the Sam Shields kool-aid. How can we NOT have a spot for a potential special teams ace? his potential at CB may be a couple years away, but, if he can spend that time returning kicks, give him a few years. besides. Same Shields is the most awesome name for a cornerback since Quentin Jammer. I'm not yet. I want to see him cover other team's WRs in preseason before I form an opinion on him. He's intriguing, but I think he's more of a practice squad player.

-I love our offensive line...in 2012. Bulaga-Newhouse-Spitz-Sitton-Lang...awesome. Switch Lang and Newhouse. Heck that could be what we're looking at in 2011 depending what Clifton and Tauscher do after the season.

-keep in mind that I've never typed the word "Jordyzzz" in my entire stay on these forums...but, I think he breaks out this year.You just did. Quotes don't save you.

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I AM drinking the Sam Shields kool-aid. How can we NOT have a spot for a potential special teams ace? his potential at CB may be a couple years away, but, if he can spend that time returning kicks, give him a few years. besides.

On Sam Shields:
I'm not yet. I want to see him cover other team's WRs in preseason before I form an opinion on him. He's intriguing, but I think he's more of a practice squad player.
I agree with drowe, and he said his potential at CB may be a couple years away, but if he can field the punts/kicks, there's no reason to let his speed help us now in the return game.
That's usually when the returners are at their best, their first year and two, before they learn how f****ing dangerous it is to haul ass with 11 guys aiming for them at full speed from all directions.

BTW, I thank the Bears for now making Hester a WR and not the lethal PR he was.

And in the meantime, Jarrett Bush can't cover anyone yet he stays on special teams with the tag of being a good special teamer. He's a willing, capable special teamer, not a good one. Focus on him sometime if you are at a game and he's still on the punt teams. He's soft. You guys wonder why our PR usually gets crushed as soon as he catches the punt, but the other team's PR has time & space when he fields it? Bush is one of the guys.

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 03:24 PM
From DB coach Joe Whitt today:

Asked which of his younger guys has impressed the most, Whitt didn't hesitate to say Sam Shields.

"He's a very mature young man and has all the ability in the world. This is only his second year playing corner and he has a lot of learning to do but he's very serious, he understands the sense of urgency that it takes to be a good player and he's getting better every day."

GB12
08-05-2010, 03:33 PM
I haven't seen him return any kicks yet so I can't comment on that. If he can prove he's worthy of a spot whether it be as a corner or returner, then yeah of course keep him on the team. However I'm going to wait until we see him in real action to make a judgement on him. For some reason a lot of these undrafted guys get too much hype and love on this forum.

LonghornsLegend
08-05-2010, 03:57 PM

There are still alot of people who aren't a believer in Finley though, and I don't know about the last part but I saw alot of guys get hyped up like this and they proceeded to have a pro bowl caliber season. I think people are excited because they saw the way he finished the 2nd half of last season plus the post season game, and during that time he was more productive then Dallas Clark.

I think it was just a young player finally starting to understand things, and it's exciting to think about him turning that into a 16 game season. I don't even think he's played his best football yet, keep in mind he went to Fitzgerald's camp which helped Sidney Rice a ton.

Receiving wise he always had the ability to be the best pass catching TE in the league, he still is trying to develop into an awesome all around TE, but being that he's so young it looks like all the hype he's getting is deserved.

PackerLegend
08-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Has anyone heard how Brandon Underwood is coming along? Or Josh Bell for that matter I guess. I don't even see how Jarret Bush has gotten a rep as as good special teams guy. He sucks and hopefully he wont be around after the preseason. I would be very very happy.

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 05:17 PM
I don't even see how Jarret Bush has gotten a rep as as good special teams guy..
Good question. My only guess is it is because our special teams is always so dominant that he just gets the credit.

GB12
08-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Bush actually was a really good special teamer his first two years. Since then he's just been ok though. Not at the point where he deserves a roster spot because of it anymore.

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Rick Gosselin is the only guy who I see who annually looks into special teams and breaks them down, and rates each team.

PACKERS:
2009- 31st
Four division winners finished in the top 10 in special teams: No. 4 Dallas, No. 7 San Diego, No. 8 Arizona and No. 9 Minnesota.
INSIDE-THE-20 PUNTS
Best: Arizona, 42
Worst: Green Bay, 15

PENALTIES
Best: Atlanta, 6
Worst: Green Bay, 28

2008- 26th
KICKOFF RETURNS
Worst: Green Bay, 20.1 yards

PENALTIES
Best: Denver, 6
Worst: Green Bay, 24

2007- t7th
Green Bay and Houston charted the greatest improvements in the span of a year. The Texans finished 29th in the NFL in 2006 and the Packers last. But Houston vaulted to fourth and the Packers to seventh.

Special teams helped the Packers win the NFC North with a 13-3 record and helped the Texans post their first non-losing season in franchise history at 8-8.

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Packers Sign WR Chery

The Green Bay Packers have signed wide receiver Jason Chery. The signing was announced Thursday by Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson.

A first-year player out of Louisiana-Lafayette, Chery (pronounced CHERRY) originally entered the NFL as a non-drafted free agent with the Carolina Panthers in May 2009. He spent time on the practice squads of both Carolina and Pittsburgh last season.

A 5-foot-10, 185-pound player, Chery will wear No. 13.

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 08:15 PM
live, going on now:

PackersLive: Shawn Gore absolutely ran by Pat Lee like he was standing still in one-on-ones. Sam Shields had a nice period. [via Twitter]

PeteDougherty: Chillar has 3 possible sacks in 6 plays from OLB during blitz drill. Beat Giacomino and Sitton on lasr two [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: Don't see LB Frank Zombo on the field. His left ankle was heavily taped this morning. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Rough couple reps for rookie ol marshall newhouse. Pickett and wynn both got the best of him during a close quarters ol-dl drill.

PeteDougherty: #Packers TJ Lang looking sharp after tough first day. Handled Matthews on 1-on-1 rep at RT, held up well enough on Pickett bull rush at RG

MikeVandermause: Flynn underthrown pass to Nelson in 7 on 7 picked off by Anthony Levine. [via Twitter]

PackersLive: Wow, great pick of Flynn by Levine. Jumped in front of the wr [via Twitter]

PackersLive: Mike Neal & Clay Matthews just worked Lang and Giacomini in 2 on 2s [via Twitter]

PackersLive: Matthews put one hell of an inside spin move to get the best of Tauscher in one on ones. [via Twitter]

princefielder28
08-05-2010, 09:12 PM
anyone planning on going to any games this year???? even family night this weekend???

jackalope
08-05-2010, 09:50 PM
anyone planning on going to any games this year???? even family night this weekend???

I actually might be headed up to family night with a few guys.

J-Mike88
08-05-2010, 10:11 PM
For anyone who likes the alternate jersey we will weaer this year, Here ya go:
http://www.ioffer.com/i/green-bay-packers-alternate-2010-jersey-new-style-160643513

umphrey
08-06-2010, 08:36 AM
I'm pretty excited to hear Sam Shields is still impressing even in pads. I was thinking he was practice squad material but maybe we keep him and put Harris on the PUP.

Justin Harrell, Will Blackmon, Atari Bigby are all missing time. Bigby is the only one with a supposed serious injury. These are the usual suspects though. I don't see much Packer football in any of their futures, although they will probably all be on the opening day roster.

princefielder28
08-06-2010, 09:42 AM
For anyone who likes the alternate jersey we will weaer this year, Here ya go:
http://www.ioffer.com/i/green-bay-packers-alternate-2010-jersey-new-style-160643513

the powerball jerseys are so ugly

J-Mike88
08-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Carson Palmer or Aaron Rodgers?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-07-22/scouts-views-packers-aaron-rodgers-joins-old-guard-top-qb-rankings?obref=obinsite

GB12
08-06-2010, 05:49 PM
That list is complete garbage

EDIT: Also Donald Driver signed an extension through 2012

princefielder28
08-06-2010, 05:56 PM

EDIT: Also Donald Driver signed an extension through 2012

That's being kinda generous

any idea on the figures of the deal???

GB12
08-06-2010, 06:03 PM
I can't find any yet.

I have no problem with it. I think he still has two productive years left in him. And then even in his final year he should be worth a roster spot if he's willing to move down the depth chart. Knowing Driver I would think he'd be ok with that if he loses a step.

TitleTown088
08-06-2010, 06:25 PM
I can't find any yet.

I have no problem with it. I think he still has two productive years left in him. And then even in his final year he should be worth a roster spot if he's willing to move down the depth chart. Knowing Driver I would think he'd be ok with that if he loses a step.

http://blog.packers.com/2010/08/06/driver-gets-new-contract/

No figures, but it is confirmed.

J-Mike88
08-06-2010, 06:39 PM
http://packersinsider.com/2010/08/donald-driver-signs-2-year-extension/

Hopefully by then, Jordy or Jones will have emerged and taken over the #2 starting WR spot by the end of that extension.

I love the Donald.

J-Mike88
08-06-2010, 06:40 PM
I know, WTF has Carson Palmer done to earn that spot aside from being the #1 overall pick out of USC in, what 2003?

OK OK, I remember his Bengals beat us last year in Green Bay, but still ......

J-Mike88
08-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Special team issues continue: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/14488/packers-camp-day-2-driver-in-rare-air

And here's a nice article/interview with Aaron Rodgers from Fox Sports.
http://tinyurl.com/396me4g

OK, one more addition here for you guys. Bedard's lastest video breakdown from last night. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/100168999.html

WR Charles Dillon and Chastin West look good.
CB Pat Lee looks bad.
CB Sam Shields speed helps.

J-Mike88
08-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Tim Knicky getting a looksie from Rex Ryan and the exciting Jets:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Agent-Jets-to-try-out-linebacker-Tim-Knicky-on-Sunday.html

TitleTown088
08-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Man I hope Clay's hammy is ok. MM said he tweaked it. Don't want another one to linger like last season.

J-Mike88
08-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Man I hope Clay's hammy is ok. MM said he tweaked it. Don't want another one to linger like last season.
Many of you/us wanted an OLB taken in the draft (Graham, Hughes, Kindle, or later), or signed in free agency.
Ted stood pat, which might be the right move in the end.

But I wonder if seeing Brad Jones didnged early in camp, and now Matthews before preseason game #1 might get him to go out and bring in a veteran OLB.

They've already done what some of you suggested last year (trying Chillar at OLB). I wonder if Matthews hammy issue will get Teddy to make a move there. Might not, but will be interesting to see.

I'd like to trade one of our FBs for an OLB. Quinn Johnson doesn't seem to be getting better, and his hands are big bricks.

TitleTown088
08-08-2010, 03:19 PM
I don't think anyone is going to trade a OLB that is better than anyone on the current roster for a FB. I don't think anyone would trade for a FB, period.

PackerLegend
08-08-2010, 06:49 PM
I can't find any yet.

He has said he wants to play until atleast 40. He would be 38 at the end of that deal. Driver has still been pretty dang good even though hes getting older. One of the highest character guys we have how can you not love the guy. Plus he didnt play a whole lot right off the bat so maybe he can last awhile longer.

J-Mike88
08-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Didn't the Packers draft Chris Johnson about 4 years ago?
What happened to him? Was he a practice squad loss, or just cut and let go?

I mean the speedster CB..... the one who's now entrenched next to Nmadi as a starter for the Raiders. I watched some of him last year and saw him give up a big play, but he also made some plays. That was a diamond in the rough gem sleeper pick by Thompson, but how'd he get away?

J-Mike88
08-08-2010, 06:53 PM
He has said he wants to play until atleast 40. He would be 38 at the end of that deal. Driver has still been pretty dang good even though hes getting older. One of the highest character guys we have how can you not love the guy. Plus he didnt play a whole lot right off the bat so maybe he can last awhile longer.
That's funny.... I clearly remember the 1999 training camp and preseason. Driver was this little speedster hustle guy out of Alcorn State, last round pick #213, and was trying so hard to make a name for himself.
I was back in WI for a few weeks and he stood out. My uncles were joking about him but they loved him.
I've actually never been prouder of a player than I am Donald, and if we were to win the Super Bowl, I'd be happiest for Donald than anyone, even Arod, barely.

TitleTown088
08-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Anyone know how to watch this first preseason game if you don't live in the viewing area? Will they steam it like family night?

J-Mike88
08-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Anyone know how to watch this first preseason game if you don't live in the viewing area? Will they steam it like family night?
I don't think they will, legally.
We'll have to rely on justintv or something like that.

cvv84
08-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Didn't the Packers draft Chris Johnson about 4 years ago?
What happened to him? Was he a practice squad loss, or just cut and let go?

I mean the speedster CB..... the one who's now entrenched next to Nmadi as a starter for the Raiders. I watched some of him last year and saw him give up a big play, but he also made some plays. That was a diamond in the rough gem sleeper pick by Thompson, but how'd he get away?

He was very injury prone and ended up on IR year after year. Finally we just cut bait with him after growing tired of glass legs.

princefielder28
08-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Matthews will be out at least two weeks according to MM

TitleTown088
08-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Matthews will be out at least two weeks according to MM

That sucks. Hopefully that heals up quickly.

Bulaga to get a shot at the LG job.

jackalope
08-09-2010, 05:07 PM
I continue to hear nothing but positive things about Jordy so far in camp.

J-Mike88
08-09-2010, 07:16 PM
That sucks. Hopefully that heals up quickly.
Bulaga to get a shot at the LG job.
As long as Clay is healthy before September gets here, I'm good with that.
It gives the other guys a better shot at OLB and might make us bring in a 34 OLB vet.

Why is Bulaga getting a shot at LG?

They said when they drafted him he's our LT period.
You all know Clifton will miss some time, Bulaga needs to be 100% prepared for that position.
Unless they like TJ at LT. Lang looks fantastic to me.

princefielder28
08-09-2010, 07:19 PM
As long as Clay is healthy before September gets here, I'm good with that.
It gives the other guys a better shot at OLB and might make us bring in a 34 OLB vet.

Why is Bulaga getting a shot at LG?

They said when they drafted him he's our LT period.
You all know Clifton will miss some time, Bulaga needs to be 100% prepared for that position.
Unless they like TJ at LT. Lang looks fantastic to me.

Bulaga is getting a shot because Colledge and Barbre stink...the plan is for him to be the LT of the future but as of the present they need help at guard next to Clifton, not behind him.

Pack_Attack_4
08-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Bulaga is getting a shot because Colledge and Barbre stink...the plan is for him to be the LT of the future but as of the present they need help at guard next to Clifton, not behind him.

whats that say about spitz then, he must not be having a good training camp.

J-Mike88
08-10-2010, 11:48 AM
We'll see how this all plays out.

90% of our OL problems last year came off the edges with the OTs.
Our interior OL performed fine, and I know Colledge graded out lower than he had before, but he's not terrible like some people like to say. He's not Pro Bowl, but he's decent if he stays at LG.

I feel like a year ago when I was defending Wells. Everybody seemed to think Wells sucked, and needed to be "upgraded" by Spitz.
I think we learned the truth there now.

Colledge as LG doesn't worry me.
At LT? Yep.

Lang and Bulaga at OT can be good IMO.

Newhouse bears watching too.

umphrey
08-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm glad they are trying Bulaga at LG. Get him some game experience as soon as possible, it will be good for him. More importantly get the best 5 out there. Just don't let him turn into Colledge where he ends up playing out of position at guard and never gets it at tackle. I'm not too worried because I think Colledge just isn't the football player Bulaga is - I think he wasn't going to be good no matter where we put him.

It seems they are looking at Spitz as a utility backup which is great. If he can be a solid backup at LG, C, RG it really gives us flexibility to work on the tackle positions.

cvv84
08-10-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm glad they are trying Bulaga at LG. Get him some game experience as soon as possible, it will be good for him. More importantly get the best 5 out there. Just don't let him turn into Colledge where he ends up playing out of position at guard and never gets it at tackle. I'm not too worried because I think Colledge just isn't the football player Bulaga is - I think he wasn't going to be good no matter where we put him.

It seems they are looking at Spitz as a utility backup which is great. If he can be a solid backup at LG, C, RG it really gives us flexibility to work on the tackle positions.

I agree. Colledge just doesn't have that nastyness that you'd like out of our offensive lineman. Iff Bulaga can start off at LG this year and take over at LT next year then why not give him a shot to win a job. They obviously like what they see from him.

As for Spitz, I have to agree again that his best position right now is as a utility backup. A few years ago he looked to be our RG of the future but with his back flarring up like it has the past 2 seasons we just can't count on him starting 16 games.

Clifton/Bulaga/Wells/Sitton/Tauscher gives us our best 5 IMO. If Lang can beat out Tauscher though we'd be in better position for the future.

GB12
08-10-2010, 03:45 PM
I like Clifton-Lang-Wells-Sitton-Bulaga. I don't understand why Lang is practicing tackle so much more than guard.

PACKmanN
08-10-2010, 04:03 PM
I like Clifton-Lang-Wells-Sitton-Bulaga. I don't understand why Lang is practicing tackle so much more than guard.

I think they love his feet and quickness, so they want him out at OT. Plus, he's a much better run blocker than a pass blocker, so it's natural for him to play RT over LT

I don't like how the Packers develop these guys, put them at one spot and keep them there why have them play inside and out

have it as Clifton - Colledge/Spitz - Wells - Sitton - Tauscher/Lang, than the following year have it as Baugla - ??? - Wells - Sitton - Lang

GB12
08-10-2010, 04:11 PM
I don't like how the Packers develop these guys, put them at one spot and keep them there why have them play inside and out

I don't think that's a big deal. Yes there are differences, but at the end of the day offensive line is offensive line. Until they are settled in at a definite spot might as well let them move around to give them the best chance of getting on the field. 90+% of what they practice is the same whether it's at tackle or guard. There are a few technique differences in how you block depending on where you are on the line, but for as many years as these guys have played offensive line they should have those basics down already. Once they take a hold of a starting spot they can start refining that.

GB12
08-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Josh Bell was put on IR.

jackalope
08-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Josh Bell was put on IR.

Would have been a pretty big accomplishment for him to make the roster anyway.

Green Bay Blizzard linebacker Maurice Simpkins signed.

J-Mike88
08-10-2010, 07:47 PM
We all have different "Fav 5" for our best OL... it's a tough deal.
I really like TJ Lang.
I am pretty sure he can/is a good-great RT.
I am pretty sure he can/is a good-great LG.
I am optimistic he can be a good LT.
Same with Bulaga.

It's tricky to sort this out. Clearly if healthy, we're solid at LT and RT with the 2 vets. Let's not get carried away here and try and toss the 2 old bookends out if they are healthy. Rodgers loves having them there and I understand why.

Tough break for skinny Josh Bell. I actually think the guy has some potential if he bulks up.
I also wouldn't be shocked to see James Starks get put on IR if he doesn't get back healthy soon. I hear they really like Quincy Porter and still like Lumpkin.

jackalope
08-10-2010, 08:15 PM
We all have different "Fav 5" for our best OL... it's a tough deal.
I really like TJ Lang.
I am pretty sure he can/is a good-great RT.
I am pretty sure he can/is a good-great LG.
I am optimistic he can be a good LT.
Same with Bulaga.

It's tricky to sort this out. Clearly if healthy, we're solid at LT and RT with the 2 vets. Let's not get carried away here and try and toss the 2 old bookends out if they are healthy. Rodgers loves having them there and I understand why.

Tough break for skinny Josh Bell. I actually think the guy has some potential if he bulks up.
I also wouldn't be shocked to see James Starks get put on IR if he doesn't get back healthy soon. I hear they really like Quincy Porter and still like Lumpkin.

Yeah, I'm kind of expecting Starks to spend the season on IR. He's a guy worth keeping, but it'd be tough to give him a roster spot if he continues to miss time.

TitleTown088
08-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Josh Bell was put on IR.

Pornstar at proshop.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/1313/practicea.jpg

PackerLegend
08-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Josh Bell was put on IR.

Great this just means Jarret Bush is a tad more likely to remain with the Packers.

GB12
08-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Alright, I like Matt Flynn, but holy crap do these guys think highly of him

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/100407939.html
"If I was a GM and I needed a quarterback that's who I would go get," an executive in personnel for an NFL club said in unsolicited remarks in April. "I think he's the best backup in the league.

jackalope
08-10-2010, 11:09 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/100407939.html

"If I was a GM and I needed a quarterback that's who I would go get," an executive in personnel for an NFL club said in unsolicited remarks in April. "I think he's the best backup in the league.
Interesting article.

EDIT: Damn you GB12.

PACKmanN
08-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Pornstar at proshop.

i'd hit it

btw, how has Jackson looked so far?

wiscbadgerfootball
08-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Pornstar at proshop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjwAtQduzE0

J-Mike88
08-11-2010, 07:54 AM
Hell ya I'd hit it too. Porn star? Thats a joke right (over my head)?

Matt Flynn the best backup in the NFL? Another joke? Is today 4/1 again?

J-Mike88
08-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Aug. 10, 2010 |(30) Comments

Green Bay - The Packers saw LT Chad Clifton and OLB Cyril Obiozor leave the evening practice early.

Coach Mike McCarthy said Clifton became ill following the afternoon meetings. Allen Barbre took the first-team reps as Bryan Bulaga continued to stay at left guard.

Obiozor strained his left calf and will be reevaluated with the other injured players by Dr. Pat McKenzie on Wednesday.

Packers were already missing Clay Matthews and Frank Zombo at OLB.

"Tight ends and outside linebackers, the way we practice and the way they're used schematically and also the importance of those two positions on special teams, it's a challenge, it's a challenge every year," McCarthy said

hoekd0250
08-12-2010, 12:16 AM
people are looking at bulaga playing guard all wrong. Playing LT and LG take a different skill set to play them as LT is more an athletic great footwork position and LG is a more quick first step bulldozer. to me it seems bulaga can play both and dont worry about him not learning the LT spot if hes at LG technique will be the same a pull is still a pull, you still pass protect the same just maybe not as deep second step ect. alot of the time what makes a good olinemen is his abiltiy to read a defensive front and know how to block it, so what better way to learn then be stuck between clifton and wells for a season and have them help you out. rather then wait a year practice with the second team who dont get many reps during season and then next year be stuck possibly aside colledge. mm knows what hes doing and soon will bring us a superbowl

J-Mike88
08-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Sam I Am, at it again

10:26 PackersLive: Shields picks off a bad, late pass from Flynn. Not good [via Twitter]

Thursday August 12, 2010 10:26 PackersLive
10:27 TomSilverstein: Shields with yet another INT. This time playing scout team against Flynn. Jumped route and gone for six. [via Twitter]

GB12
08-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Havner is practicing at linebacker again and will play there against Cleveland. According to Aaron Rodgers it's only because we have no healthy linebackers, and he will stay as a tight end

J-Mike88
08-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Havner is practicing at linebacker again and will play there against Cleveland. According to Aaron Rodgers it's only because we have no healthy linebackers, and he will stay as a tight end
We're light on OLBers?
We're short on LBers now? We haven't even played one preseason game yet.
Are our practices harder on players than games are?

GB12
08-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Barnett, Matthews, and Alex Joseph won't play because of injuries. Maurice Simpkins was just signed the other day, so he might not be ready to play yet. So we have like 8 guys for 4 spots. That is fine for the regular season, but not ideal for preseason, especially since McCarthy is only going to play the starters for 20 snaps.

J-Mike88
08-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Alex Joseph had a golden opportunity here in the preseason, to show the coaches what he can do on the field.
How the heII is the guy hurt already?

Is Zombo set to play much?

princefielder28
08-12-2010, 08:14 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/100579014.html

something to watch for

J-Mike88
08-12-2010, 08:27 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/100579014.html

something to watch for
Those are always touching..... nice story there. Let's hope she's also at the Super Bowl in Dallas, February.

J-Mike88
08-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Green Bay Packers' undrafted Sam Shields may be a steal
..............What makes Shields rare, though, is he already has the Packers thinking they might have found a real player on the undrafted scrap heap. In fact, less than two weeks into training camp the receiver-turned-cornerback from the University of Miami has the organization as excited as it’s been about an undrafted rookie in the last 20 years.

“He’s going to be special one day,” said Joe Whitt, the Packers’ cornerbacks coach....... http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100812/PKR01/100812115/Packers-may-have-steal-in-undrafted-CB-Shields

TitleTown088
08-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Hell ya I'd hit it too. Porn star? Thats a joke right (over my head)?

Nope that is definitely a porn star. Ashlynn Brooke is her name.

J-Mike88
08-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Ha, I trust you that you know your porn stars!
She looks wholesome and innocent. Fooled me!

BloodBrother
08-14-2010, 04:41 AM
She has claimed multiple times that she is a diehard pack fan and is dying to go to a packers game at lambeau. So if any of you got tix to a game at Lambeau you can probably get her lol

nrk
08-14-2010, 05:06 AM

Porn is one of the few ways to get out of Oklahoma....

I'm glad to hear shes a Packer fan also, besides of course being a Sooner.

PackerLegend
08-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Only like 6 hours until the game... Only preseason but im pretty excited.

J-Mike88
08-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Only like 6 hours until the game... Only preseason but im pretty excited.
As long as there are no headlines coming out of any of our games, I'm pleased.
Nothing else matters.
If young guys do great, like Tyrell Sutton, they're given the label of being Mr August and still sent packing, and picked up by a RB-rich team like Carolina.

We were the king of preseason last year, and it meant nothing when week one came around and our offense struggled vs Chicago.

I hate preseason football and wish they'd count like CFA does right out the bat.

PackerLegend
08-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Preseason football does suck but its what we got for now so im happy. Just finally get to watch some football and more importantly the Packers.

Vince Lombardi
08-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Packers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Any of you fine fellows want to be in a fantasy league? I'm trying to start a keeper league that I can keep going year after year. I need people that will be active and dedicated, doesn't matter your experience or skill level.

It's on ESPN and it's an auction style draft. Send me a PM with your email if you want an invite.

Oh yea, and the Packers are winning the Super Bowl this year. Bank it!

TitleTown088
08-15-2010, 10:51 PM

Any of you fine fellows want to be in a fantasy league? I'm trying to start a keeper league that I can keep going year after year. I need people that will be active and dedicated, doesn't matter your experience or skill level.

It's on ESPN and it's an auction style draft. Send me a PM with your email if you want an invite.

Holy crap. You're alive.

Mr.Regular
08-16-2010, 12:42 AM
If Im school work free the next couple of days after the Queens game this year, Im coming to town to see the game.

Suggestions on where to stay/how to get tickets? Stubhub has the cheapest at like 300 a pop, any other way?

PS this is a big deal for me. 9 hour drive at least, and Im a broke ass student. Ive been to GB twice for training camp but never for a game. This gonna be good.

GB12
08-16-2010, 01:05 AM
Yeah, good luck getting tickets for that. Unless you know someone they're going to be pretty damn expensive.

PackerLegend
08-16-2010, 03:46 PM
If Im school work free the next couple of days after the Queens game this year, Im coming to town to see the game.

IF?? Someone needs to get their priorities straight. Green Bay Packers>>>school/work always! :D

The fact that its against the Vikings will only make it harder and more expensive to get im assuming. Ive been to 2 games front row 45 ish yardline, it was awhile ago but I still have the ticket stubs.

princefielder28
08-16-2010, 07:26 PM

Suggestions on where to stay/how to get tickets? Stubhub has the cheapest at like 300 a pop, any other way?

PS this is a big deal for me. 9 hour drive at least, and Im a broke ass student. Ive been to GB twice for training camp but never for a game. This gonna be good.

honestly your best bet in getting tickets might be eBay and try to find something close to reasonable...if you're looking for a cheap place to stay I would suggest the Motel 6 off of Shawano Avenue, it's not that far from Lambeau and if you have questions about stuff like that just shoot me a PM

PackerLegend
08-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Check out the sick sig BoneKrusher made me! Double D needs some love, he seems a bit forgotten at times with all the weapons we have.

Vince Lombardi
08-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Holy crap. You're alive.

Alive and causing as much trouble as ever! Since I was last active here I moved across the country from Florida to Oregon where I'm currently back in school working on a degree in computer science. Needless to say my free time for things like this has dwindled but not my passion for all things Packers!

So none of you are interested in some hardcore keeper league action huh? Bummer, I want to get a good group together that'll stay together for awhile.

Anyways, back to lurking about...

cuzifelt1ikeit
08-17-2010, 01:25 AM

defensive players too or just defensive specials teams?

if its idp im down.

Mr.Regular
08-17-2010, 02:23 AM
Yeah, Im prepared for the outrageous price. Ive checked all the places online. 300 for the cheap seats seems to be the going rate. Would it be wiser to scalp when I get there or just do it this way?

And thanks PF, when it gets closer to the date Ill hit you up for some more info on local areas to go and stay. Cant wait.

princefielder28
08-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Harrell didn't practice this morning...some troubles with his back

drowe
08-17-2010, 11:40 AM
honestly your best bet in getting tickets might be eBay and try to find something close to reasonable...if you're looking for a cheap place to stay I would suggest the Motel 6 off of Shawano Avenue, it's not that far from Lambeau and if you have questions about stuff like that just shoot me a PM

Motel 6 is cheap and not too far from the stadium. but, you will probably get stabbed in your sleep.

mostly kidding. it's fine. and super cheap.

umphrey
08-17-2010, 03:10 PM

And so it begins

PackerLegend
08-17-2010, 03:27 PM

Well thats a shocker.... If he is going to start missing practice and having problems again he is gone. What a waste of a 1st round pick he has been thus far. Good thing we still have Jolly... O wait. Although its not like anyone in Green Bay was counting on Harrell and if they were, well then they are ********.

jackalope
08-17-2010, 04:27 PM
We know the guy has a bad back. Sitting out a morning practice isn't a big deal. Let's not freak out yet.

PACKmanN
08-17-2010, 04:31 PM
If TC can do this to his back, imagine him lasting for 16 games and possibly playoffs...won't happen

PackerLegend
08-17-2010, 04:54 PM
We know the guy has a bad back. Sitting out a morning practice isn't a big deal. Let's not freak out yet.

This is what happened last time im pretty sure.. He just came off surgery and then his back was hurting a bit so he missed practice. It wasnt suppose to be a big deal. Next thing we know he is on IR out the whole season. Back surgery round 2. He plays 1 pre-season game. His back is hurting..... No one is really freaking out we are just getting ready for what we all expected anyways. PACKmanN has a point...

TitleTown088
08-17-2010, 10:10 PM
http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Rodgers-Nothing-But-Net/d0c985c4-b836-417f-aeb0-ed20340ccb47

Belt.

GB12
08-17-2010, 10:17 PM
I love his lame celebrations.

TitleTown088
08-17-2010, 10:19 PM

I'm genuinely confused. Are you saying lame in a good or bad way?

wonderbredd24
08-18-2010, 11:20 AM
In watching the Browns-Packers game, I noticed that we never bothered double teaming BJ Raji. Yea, we have Alex Mack who is a beast, but against Rubin in practice, we double him.

Is Raji hurt or does he suck or what?

Pacific
08-18-2010, 12:56 PM
I for one LOVE the championship belt celebration. I hope he busts it out for every rushing TD he scores.

PackerLegend
08-18-2010, 03:54 PM

A. You mis-spelled awesome.

or you didn't and in that case option.....

B. YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!

TitleTown088
08-18-2010, 11:07 PM
In watching the Browns-Packers game, I noticed that we never bothered double teaming BJ Raji. Yea, we have Alex Mack who is a beast, but against Rubin in practice, we double him.

Is Raji hurt or does he suck or what?

Raji has looked solid, but he didn't look too good in that Browns game. Seemed like he was over pursuing a lot.

It was his first start at NT, still learning the ropes.

johbur
08-18-2010, 11:50 PM

I watched him backwards and forwards on slo-mo. He looked like "just a guy." If he gets hurt again, they just need to hit the "cut" button. I am not impressed that he's been on the sidelines for the better part of two years with nothing to do but work on his conditioning and that his conditioning is the suck.

Boston
08-19-2010, 01:13 PM
I had a dream last night that the Packers traded Aaron Rodgers to the Browns for their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th round draft picks and Brady Quinn... Ignoring the fact that Brady Quinn isn't even on the Browns anymore, I was pretty pissed.

PackerLegend
08-19-2010, 03:01 PM
I had a dream last night that the Packers traded Aaron Rodgers to the Browns for their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th round draft picks and Brady Quinn... Ignoring the fact that Brady Quinn isn't even on the Browns anymore, I was pretty pissed.

Dream? Thats a god damn nightmare. If that happened Ted would probably get murder and the city of Green Bay should riot.

GB12
08-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Bigby's injury is more serious than previously thought and he could be put on the PUP list. Good move taking Burnett. Certainly gives Burnett the edge on being the starter for this year and the future. I think Bigby would have beaten him out if healthy, but I don't see Burnett giving it up when he returns.

PackerLegend
08-19-2010, 10:29 PM
For being label as a big hitter and having the name Atari which means attack or something in Japanese, you think he wouldn't be made of glass. Guy can't stay healthy.

Jimmy
08-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Has it hit you guys that Aaron Rodgers is probably going to end up in the hall of fame?

It hit me yesterday. He had a fantastic preseason outing and I realized that nothing is stopping this guy from having a great 5-10 years in a row. He WILL get a ring in the next 5 years. He has all the offensive help he needs. (Well... He's set with Jennings, who IMO will end up in canton with him, or at least be at Rod Smith's level)

I am almost positive at this point that we are looking at a hall of fame quarterback. Now, when I look at Rodgers, I don't look at the Cal kid. I don't question whether or not he is an adequate replacement for Favre. I'm never going to question whether sitting a QB for his first year or two is OK again. All I see is a guy with a beard who (in 5 years) is going to be a lock for Canton. He has EVERYTHING he needs to be successful in place and is just going out and getting results. It's really cool to watch someone other than Peyton or Drew Brees do it. And it's weird to see that guy in canton in my head before it happens, but for some reason, i can already see rodgers aged 10 years, and everyone looking back at his ridiculous beard and productive career. I'm sure many of you agree about his future, maybe not to a hall of fame level. Rodgers is about to become a household name, and we will have a 1st tier consisting of Brees, Manning, And Rodgers.

umphrey
08-20-2010, 08:42 AM
No doubt Rodgers is on a hall of fame path for his career, and I think he will get there, but he has a long way to go. Most people thought Jay Cutler was on the same path two years ago and now he'll be fighting off replacement if he plays like he did last year. Jennings isn't even close to getting HOF talk. The HOF is for players that were the best; Jennings is good but right now Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Miles Austin, Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson are players I would put ahead of him off the top of my head. He'll probably never even crack the top 5 in his career.

I almost couldn't believe this: since 1992, 4 players have exclusively owned the WR slot position (Sharpe, Brooks, Freeman, Driver). This year they will use a combination of guys - Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Finley. I like this a lot. I like the coaches having confidence in phasing out Driver from being the go to guy in his old age. I like how this gives us more freedom to move around receivers, find mismatches, and force the defense to adjust. I like that it gives Rodgers more to work with when reading the defense.

On that topic, Rodgers is excellent at reading a defense. That one trait that separates good from great quarterbacks. Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are two of the best, for example. How good is Rodgers? I'm looking forward to watching him do it this year. I'd say top 5, maybe as high as 3 behind the two formerly mentioned.

jackalope
08-20-2010, 12:04 PM
From JSonline.

DT Justin Harrell was excused from both practices for the birth of his child. McCarthy said Harrell had been cleared to practice after missing Tuesday with back tightness. It has not been determined whether he'll play against the Seahawks.

GB12
08-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Alright, I've seen it mentioned a couple times and I think I'd be up for bringing back the NFLDC Packer Fan Fantasy League. If there is a minimum of 10 (preferably 12) I will start it up, but I'm not making it until people are committed. It's not necessarily first come first serve, but last time I had a hard time finding enough people so chances aren't you'll make it. Let me know if you want in.

Boston
08-21-2010, 12:27 AM
Wow, PM's are not working for me at all right now, but yeah I'm down.

GB12
08-21-2010, 12:29 AM
Your box is full, you need to delete some.

TitleTown088
08-23-2010, 05:26 PM
I might be in if you guys need someone, but i'm gonna be real busy and I'm already in a few leagues so if you find someone else to do it that would probbaly be best.

TitleTown088
08-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Bulaga was hurt in practice tonight. Right leg apparently? Hopefully it was nothing serious.

jackalope
08-23-2010, 08:12 PM
This was from before the game Saturday.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/101223924.html

Cutting both Wynn and CJ Wilson would surprise me. I'd rather keep 7 DL at the expense of Obiozor. Zombo to the PS.

I think Bush gets cut since Al probably won't start on the PUP. Also, Shields was taking his reps on the kickoff unit today.

Giacomini has probably played himself out of a roster spot.

I'd rather keep Quinn Johnson than Korey Hall. Kuhn is a lock.

J-Mike88
08-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Bulaga was hurt in practice tonight. Right leg apparently? Hopefully it was nothing serious.
Hip flexor, says MM. And it's been bothering him a bit before tonight.
Cullen Jenkins has a calf "strain" after he tweaked it tonight.

Anytime I hear MM call something a "strain", I worry. Everything's a "strain" to him at first. Then we find out it's a torn ACL or something. We need Cullen.

And I agree, no way to we gut Jarius Wynn and CJ Wilson.
And I think Zombo makes the team.

umphrey
08-24-2010, 08:40 AM
From the looks of it, these guys are in line to make/miss the roster:

+Sam Shields
+Tom Crabtree
+Frank Zombo
-Jarrett Bush
-Donald Lee
-Justin Spitz (trade)
-Breno Giacomini
-Allen Barbre

I like except trading Spitz. Let him play a year and show he's over the injury. They seem to want to use Evan D-S instead though. If we're going to cut Donald Lee I think we have to keep Crabtree. Quarless and Havner can't block and you need a backup blocking TE. Shields, meh, he's been disappointing, he needs to start getting special teams tackles while he learns how to catch the football in practice. Barbre, Giacomini, failed projects, dump them asap. Barbre has been almost exclusively a backup LT which makes him 3rd string so I have to think he's on his way out. Zombo is getting a lot of praise. I doubt we cut him with the depth we have at his position.

cvv84
08-24-2010, 03:17 PM
And I agree, no way to we gut Jarius Wynn and CJ Wilson.

On what grounds? Neither guy really fits the mold of a 3-4 DE nor has either shown anything thus far. I'd rather keep an extra LB or DB over these 2 guys right now.

I'd rather keep Quinn Johnson than Korey Hall. Kuhn is a lock.

Quinn really hasn't shown much though. I like his thumper style but unless he starts to shine more often I think he's gone. Hall is a much better special teamer and thats what alot of these final roster spots are going to come down too IMO.

J-Mike88
08-24-2010, 06:36 PM
On what grounds? Neither guy really fits the mold of a 3-4 DE nor has either shown anything thus far. I'd rather keep an extra LB or DB over these 2 guys right now.
They drafted Wynn last year and Wilson this year exactly in the mold of a 3-4 DE.
I know they've not lit the world on fire right away, but I don't think they erred in drafting either guy and I like both guy's skills and effort, especially when you compare it to Justin Harrell who got pushed around like a child in Seattle the other night.

This from our good friend Ron Demovsky at the GBPG.
August 24th, 2010, 5:46 pm

There are no awards given out in training camp, but if there was one for most improved, it might go to rookie offensive lineman Marshall Newhouse.

The fifth-round pick from TCU looked lost early in camp. His struggles were evident in the one-on-one pass blocking drills.

Three and a half weeks later, Newhouse looks like an old pro, especially when he’s playing his more natural left tackle spot. Newhouse won both reps today in the one-on-one drill against defensive end Ronald Talley and has put himself very much into the mix for a roster spot perhaps ahead of veterans like Breno Giacomini and Allen Barbre. Early in camp, Newhouse looked like practice squad material, at best.

“I think he’s more comfortable outside,” Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. “Inside was a good idea maybe, but I’m not sure that’s a great fit naturally for him. I think he’s making progress. I don’t think there’s any doubt about that.”

PACKmanN
08-24-2010, 10:55 PM
They drafted Wynn last year and Wilson this year exactly in the mold of a 3-4 DE.
I know they've not lit the world on fire right away, but I don't think they erred in drafting either guy and I like both guy's skills and effort, especially when you compare it to Justin Harrell who got pushed around like a child in Seattle the other night.

This from our good friend Ron Demovsky at the GBPG.

Harrell will never be a starter in the league due to his back, if anything he is a package type of linemen we mix with others and put every now and than. Plus he must have been told to not put too much effort into the game because of his back.

jackalope
08-25-2010, 12:41 AM
From the looks of it, these guys are in line to make/miss the roster:

+Sam Shields
+Tom Crabtree
+Frank Zombo
-Jarrett Bush
-Donald Lee
-Justin Spitz (trade)
-Breno Giacomini
-Allen Barbre

I like except trading Spitz. Let him play a year and show he's over the injury. They seem to want to use Evan D-S instead though. If we're going to cut Donald Lee I think we have to keep Crabtree. Quarless and Havner can't block and you need a backup blocking TE. Shields, meh, he's been disappointing, he needs to start getting special teams tackles while he learns how to catch the football in practice. Barbre, Giacomini, failed projects, dump them asap. Barbre has been almost exclusively a backup LT which makes him 3rd string so I have to think he's on his way out. Zombo is getting a lot of praise. I doubt we cut him with the depth we have at his position.

This I disagree with. Shields has been horrible returning kicks, but that shouldn't be held against him. He's looked pretty good at corner, quite a bit of potential for a guy who would be our 6th. I'm glad to hear that he's working more with the coverage units. I expect him to be a good gunner.

Zycho32
08-25-2010, 05:08 AM
Dude Umphrey, how can you call Shields dissapointing if he knocks Bush off the roster?

umphrey
08-25-2010, 08:34 AM
After playing 3 years of wide receiver I thought he would be able to catch punts. With 4.3 speed I thought he would stand out on special teams coverage. I'm not too excited about his corner skills, especially this season.

cvv84
08-25-2010, 03:48 PM

Both are undersized for the position.

GB12
08-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Wynn is fine for a 3-4 DE. I've actually really liked what I've seen from him last year and this preseason. I think he's almost a lock to make the team. He probably wouldn't hold up as an every down player on the line, but he can be a quality rotational guy.

I really haven't seen enough of Wilson to form an opinion on him yet. I've watched him for maybe two plays.

After playing 3 years of wide receiver I thought he would be able to catch punts. With 4.3 speed I thought he would stand out on special teams coverage. I'm not too excited about his corner skills, especially this season.

Well catching punts is a lot different than catching passes. I think I pretty much agree with how you feel about Shields though.

J-Mike88
08-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Both are undersized for the position.
Well that's news to Thompson and McCarthy.
Why didn't you tell this to them before they drafted the guys specifically for the position, in the 3-4? Where were you then?

PACKmanN
08-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Dude Umphrey, how can you call Shields dissapointing if he knocks Bush off the roster?

Bush should have been cut a long time ago, so if Shields takes his spot he hasn't proven jack ****.

I don't think the Packers will cut either Wynn or Wilson because bodies will be needed as the season goes on. Jenkins is hurt and the Packers already lost Jolly; they can't take any chances

hoekd0250
08-25-2010, 10:25 PM
just a few quick questions

How does everyone feel about the packers versatility of there players???
-Havner playing some linebacker, chiller being able to play inside and outside, kuhn playing fullback and 2back, blackmon knowing safety and corner, finely could even play some wideout with his skills, pickett and raji on the dline. i feel like this team is so gifted compared to other teams in this way.

drowe
08-26-2010, 12:04 PM
just a few quick questions

How does everyone feel about the packers versatility of there players???
-Havner playing some linebacker, chiller being able to play inside and outside, kuhn playing fullback and 2back, blackmon knowing safety and corner, finely could even play some wideout with his skills, pickett and raji on the dline. i feel like this team is so gifted compared to other teams in this way.

yeah, it's a strange year.
-the winner of the 5th WR spot may be based on who can tackle better (special teams).
-the winner of the punting battle may be based on who can hold for field goals better.
-Sam Shield, a CB, was signed for his special teams potential, and now may make the team based on his play at, of all things, CB.
-LB is just a clusterf*&% in general.
-I think I saw Will Blackmon playing centerfield for the Brewers.
-Spencer Havner is actually 2 seperate people that just share a jersey.

roughrider30
08-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Is anyone else a little worried about D-Line depth minus Jolly? I'm confident in Pickett-Raji-Jenkins, but there really isn't anything behind them besides Neal. They're really gonna need these guys to eat up blockers consistently to get any kind of pressure. If anyone of those 3 go down, we could run into some trouble.

princefielder28
08-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Is anyone else a little worried about D-Line depth minus Jolly? I'm confident in Pickett-Raji-Jenkins, but there really isn't anything behind them besides Neal. They're really gonna need these guys to eat up blockers consistently to get any kind of pressure. If anyone of those 3 go down, we could run into some trouble.

I think there's reason to worry because as you mentioned we have four options, counting Neal, that the team can feel comfortable throwing out there and Neal is still a question mark given his rookie status. (And don't anyone come back with stuff about Wynn or Harrell because neither player has proven much, if any, worth on the football field) Look at the last two seasons this team has experienced a great deal of success, 2007-08 and 2009-10, we had quality depth along the defensive line and were able to absorb any troubles with injuries that came along the way. But following the 2007-08 season we lost Corey Williams and now we are without Johnny Jolly; both players had a knack for disrupting in the opponents' backfield and making plays. It's tough to expect to replace players of that caliber with young, unproven players. As a result we put more pressure on the linebackers to make plays or hold their own in coverage and we all know the shortfalls of our linebackers in that deparatment. And it trickles down to the secondary too because you can have the best players in the world in your secondary but a lack of pressure will cause them to cover long and be more prone to letting up a catch. It sounds simple and that's because it is and the effectiveness of this defense, much like any other, hinges on the defensive line and we're relying on Cullen Jenkins to be his solid self, Raji to slid inside and be at least as good as Pickett was for us in the middle, and Pickett slides out to end and gets the task of replacing Johnny Jolly. We are then left with little depth and more reliance on these guys and this unit to be as good as it was last year.

J-Mike88
08-26-2010, 02:51 PM
JOHN RANDLE

Why can't BJ Raji study the heII out of film of that guy?
Raji has more ability, size, strength than Randle did, but Randle's heart & intensity made him a Favre nemesis and a Hall of Famer.

If Raji can match 60% of the intensity that Randle had, we'd have ourselves a force in the middle that would command doubles and triples on every passing down. THAT would open things up for the LBers and Jenkins/Neal at DE.

J-Mike88
08-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Will we miss Jolly more than we've been expecting?

Last season, easily Jolly's finest in a four-year career, the Packers relied more on him than any other defensive lineman. He led the unit in snaps with 835, an average of 49.1 over 17 games. He was second in pressures with 12, and first in both batted passes (11) and turnover-producing plays (four).

And remember one of those turnovers was his athletic, amazing goalline int of Cutler late in the opening week close win over the Bears. Without that play, we might have lost that game thanks to Al Barbre.

cvv84
08-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Well that's news to Thompson and McCarthy.
Why didn't you tell this to them before they drafted the guys specifically for the position, in the 3-4? Where were you then?

They drafted them because they're looking for someone who can generate a pass rush at DE in a base 3-4. Neither guy was drafted as a potential future starter. I'm right here, where are you??

J-Mike88
08-27-2010, 08:27 PM
They drafted them because they're looking for someone who can generate a pass rush at DE in a base 3-4.
You should call Ted and let him no he forgot to measure/weigh them.

On a sidenote, anyone watching this CBS game San Diego at New Orleans.... did you catch Dan Dierdorf just talking about the Super Bowl in Dallas?
That fat bastard said that if it's anyone other than New Orleans, Minnesota, or Dallas then it will be a huge upset. He said those 3 are clearly above all others. And he mentioned Atlanta and Arizona.

Hello? Dallas is in another league than we are even though we almost shut them out last year? Really?

Anyone know Dierdorf's Twitter name?

Also, I'm tired of seeing articles where Revis, Aso, and Bailey are mentioned but no Woodson.

GB12
08-27-2010, 11:49 PM
****. We're going to hear so much crap of people trying to compare Favre-Rodgers with McNabb-Kolb since we open against the Eagles.

J-Mike88
08-28-2010, 07:41 AM
****. We're going to hear so much crap of people trying to compare Favre-Rodgers with McNabb-Kolb since we open against the Eagles.
If that bothers Kolb even a tiny bit, good. Anything that might help us, great.
I just saw that Eagles DE Trent Cole was carted off with an ankle last night... MRI scheduled. If he misses just one game, week one, that won't bother me too much. Or Rodgers.

Cole-Brandon Graham is a nice 1-2 DE combo.

umphrey
08-28-2010, 11:03 AM

I've been seeing that ludicrous comparison too. The talking heads are so quick to underestimate the record breaking start to his career Rodgers had.

Mr.Regular
08-28-2010, 11:11 AM
I've been seeing that ludicrous comparison too. The talking heads are so quick to underestimate the record breaking start to his career Rodgers had.
Rodgers doesn't get enough love. Within 2 years of being a starter he's considered a top 5 QB. Thats impressive. Only 3 guys are consensus above him, and all have rings, and 2 are hall of fame locks.
Plus add in the factor of replacing the biggest icon in team history, in a market that worships football more than any other place in the country. It's very impressive.
Aaron Rodgers looks to be an extremely rare scenario. Kolb will be lucky to be half as good as Rodgers is. Plus McNabb was no Favre.

PackerLegend
08-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Yes we are very fortunate to have Mr Rodgers... I just love remembering all the Bear fans who thought we would be screwed. They said we would be looking for a QB for the next 20 years like they have been. Usually thats the case, but it just makes me all happy thinking about it. Not to mention we didnt find a good QB but a great one.

umphrey
08-28-2010, 11:47 AM
I don't know, Rodgers gets a ton of love these days. Pretty soon Rodgers and Rivers are going to dominate the NFL like Brady and Manning did for so long. I wonder if Rodgers gets 5,000 yards this year. It's scary how good he can be when you add Finley and pass protection. If only we had a receiver out of the backfield...

PACKmanN
08-28-2010, 01:00 PM
was it only me that was yelling wtf with some of the high passes Rodgers threw? He almost got both Jones and Finely killed

J-Mike88
08-28-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't know, Rodgers gets a ton of love these days. Pretty soon Rodgers and Rivers are going to dominate the NFL like Brady and Manning did for so long. I wonder if Rodgers gets 5,000 yards this year. It's scary how good he can be when you add Finley and pass protection. If only we had a receiver out of the backfield...
Like who?
Sproles? Bush? McFadden? Marshawn? Westbrook? Norwood? McCluster? Leon Washington? Slaton?

J-Mike88
08-28-2010, 01:03 PM
was it only me that was yelling wtf with some of the high passes Rodgers threw? He almost got both Jones and Finely killed
No it wasn't just you. Watching with my parents, I said some curse words after those 2 passes.
That's how Farve got Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman hurt/concussed so often.

jackalope
08-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Shawn Gore released.

J-Mike88
08-29-2010, 09:12 AM
WR Patrick Williams looked good on Thursday. He had two key 3rd down catches for 1st downs, got open and caught the ball smoothly.

Chastin West is faster than heII, and he showed good hands in his limited opportunity.

Jason Chery (with one R only in Chery), sparked our special teams unit with the return to the big house and Lambeau Leap.

Which of these guys do you all think has the best chance to take the #5 WR spot from Brett Swain, if we go with 5? Swain doesn't seem 100% ready to play with the recurring knee issue, and I think he might start on PUP.

J-Mike88
08-29-2010, 10:42 AM
From Matt Bowen this morning:

*It appears that the Packers have developed Matt Flynn into a commodity. At some point in the near future, maybe next offseason, they will be able to trade him for a decent draft pick. It would help his value if Flynn played well in a meaningful situation in the regular season. And head coach Mike McCarthy tells me he definitely has confidence that Flynn would play well if given the chance. He said the former seventh-round pick has total command of the Packers offense after just two years in Green Bay.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-4148.html

Also:

Players like Sidney Rice can’t be replaced like an alkaline battery.

So last week when the Vikings learned Rice would probably miss half the season, they came up with a plan. They started shopping for a receiver who could fill their specific needs without being Rice.

They wanted a smart player who could learn a system quickly. They needed someone who could fit in with an established team. They had to have a taller receiver who could go up and get it. They wanted a player who would run good routes. And they wanted someone with reliable hands.

They liked Vincent Jackson (who wouldn’t?), but didn’t like his price tag. That led them to Greg Camarillo.

The Vikings studied each of the 163 tape cut-ups in which Camarillo showed up on a play by play sheet over the last two years. One thing stood out: not a single drop. He had 105 catches, and not a single drop.

Hence, their trade of Benny Sapp to the Dolphins for the Stanford product. Now the Vikings have to see if Camarillo can click with Brett Favre. Rice and Favre had something special going.

umphrey
08-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Colledge starting LG against Philly. I think he won it by default because Bulaga got hurt. Colledge has looked better this year than last though. He seems to get lazy when things get handed to him.

J-Mike88
08-29-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm fine with Colledge at LG and leave Bulaga at tackle as was the plan since the minute they drafted Bryan.

PackerLegend
08-29-2010, 04:16 PM
When is the cut to like 75 and then 53? The Packers next game is Thursday right?

jackalope
08-29-2010, 04:29 PM
When is the cut to like 75 and then 53? The Packers next game is Thursday right?

Tuesday is the first cut (not sure of the specific time), Saturday is the final cut down.

J-Mike88
08-29-2010, 04:32 PM
The cut Tuesday is minimal, but next Saturday crushes a lot of young men's dreams. It's a sad day for many.

TitleTown088
08-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Sounds like Sam Sheilds has a legit shot at the Nickle job with Harris still out. Wow.

princefielder28
08-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Sounds like Sam Sheilds has a legit shot at the Nickle job with Harris still out. Wow.

That's scary and it shows the lack of ability between Lee, Underwood and Bush.

tjsunstein
08-30-2010, 09:27 AM
I hope Bush is gone Saturday.

LonghornsLegend
08-30-2010, 09:43 AM

Do you think he'd be ready to play that much in the regular season? From what I saw in the Family Night game, as well as reading up on him, he sounded like he would have to make the 53 man roster because no way he would clear waivers. He'd easily make our team as he's probably better then our 4th and 5th corner right now. He has alot of athleticism, probably still raw, but he'd get picked on if he's out there alot.

TitleTown088
08-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Do you think he'd be ready to play that much in the regular season? From what I saw in the Family Night game, as well as reading up on him, he sounded like he would have to make the 53 man roster because no way he would clear waivers. He'd easily make our team as he's probably better then our 4th and 5th corner right now. He has alot of athleticism, probably still raw, but he'd get picked on if he's out there alot.
I think it's a forgone conclusion he'll make the 53 man roster a his point. A few GB media sources claim he's already passed everyone else for the Nickel job. Seems like the coaches really like him and the other guys for the job Lee and Underwood haven't played well enough to convince them otherwise. Not to mention he looked pretty good on special teams last week too ( as gunner not returner)

umphrey
08-30-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm very surprised that I like Shields for our nickel job...He compares favorably to Tramon Williams, another former UDFA that started on special teams with good speed. I wish Shields could play in another 3-4 preseason games to get adjusted and get some confidence, but he looks like he's grown as much as Underwood or Lee in a fraction of the time.

Bush is gone. No question in my mind. People forget he was #6 on our depth chart last year and we even used guys like Josh Bell (I think?) instead of him to line up as a true corner while Bush never moved out of the nickel.

TitleTown088
08-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Sounds like Chery is going to be handling all return duties in this next game- might make a late push for a roster spot.

umphrey
08-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah he is supposed to be a 4.3 guy and I want to see them keep a 5th receiver that can return kicks.

J-Mike88
08-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Correctamundo, and this despite the regime force-feeding us with their faith & belief in the youngsters. Fact of the matter is this team has had little, to none, success developing young CBs under Ted's watch. Is it his bad drafting, or bad DB coaching? I can't say for sure, but the results (or lack thereof) cannot be denied.

I say screw using the draft to address this position. Utilize free agency and/or make a deal, a la the Dolphins-Vikings last week.

J-Mike88
08-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Sounds like Chery is going to be handling all return duties in this next game- might make a late push for a roster spot.
Yeah, by longshot bet on shocking cut is Will Blackmon. Will has never stepped up at CB, or S I guess, and his main value has been as a punt returner. With the torn ACL, I think he's not the same.
If Chery performs well, fields punts smoothly next game in KC, I think Will might be a surprise cut. I love Will the Thrill though, when healthy, as a PR.

Chery would be costing Swain his job too. I wonder if they like Swain enough to stash him on IR.

J-Mike88
08-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Oh S***. SI Jinx?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs410.snc4/47315_422922941366_14553116366_5374855_1857591_n.j pg

BloodBrother
08-31-2010, 02:43 PM

I think Underwood was going to be the guy but he injured his shoulder vs the Colts. Apparently it's the same shoulder he hurt back in college. Wondering if the Packers are withholding the severity of his injury. If he is out for an extended period of time, I'd expect to see the Pack make a trade right before roster cut downs to get some more depth at CB

Pat Lee is looking like a certified BUST. Dude has been healthy all camp, and has been in the competition from the get-go, and has failed to impress. We really need to hope that whenever Al comes back, he will be the same player, and that nobody else in the secondary suffers any injury that wipes them out for an extended period of time. The DL/Lbers will need to be bringing the pressure big time this season

J-Mike88
08-31-2010, 04:11 PM
A lot of Packer fans wondered what made Pat Lee a 2nd round pick.
He'd done nothing at Auburn, and he only did that in one season. In a running conference where there are few pass defense opportunites.

As for Underwood: he looked barely mediocre this preseason before he hurt his shoulder too. Don't let that be an excuse for him.

jackalope
08-31-2010, 04:23 PM
Harris will start on PUP.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/101914398.html

This kinda sucks, but the good new is that after Philly, we have a pretty easy 5 games.

PackerLegend
08-31-2010, 04:32 PM
So who did we cut? We probably haven't even heard of them just a bunch of no names...

jackalope
08-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Harris, Starks, Bigby to PUP (no surprises), Porter to IR. With Gore being cut earlier, that gets us down to 75.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/101918508.html

BloodBrother
08-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Yeah, the first 6 games of the schedule aren' really against any top flight passing teams, so I think the team will be able to survive without Harris in the secondary. Just want him at 100%, because they'll certainly need him in the 2nd half when they face the Vikes(x2), Dallas, Giants, and Patriots

Of those first 6 games, I'd classify only the Bears and Eagles as threats in the passing game. Detroit certainly has up and coming talent there, but I don't think they'll be able to stop the Packers offense/hang with them

jackalope
08-31-2010, 06:30 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs383.snc4/44627_441675350072_71671905072_5194174_3665889_n.j pg

GB12
08-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Baltimore got Josh Wilson for a 2011 conditional 5th round pick. We should have done that.

BloodBrother
08-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Seriously. I still expect TT to maybe acquire a CB somehow...either trading a pick or one of their FB/TE or even P who doesn't win the job

J-Mike88
08-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Baltimore got Josh Wilson for a 2011 conditional 5th round pick. We should have done that.
I agree with you there. But far beit for us to question our front office.
But we sure can't draft that damn position, so I think all other options need to be utilized.

Sportsfan486
08-31-2010, 10:14 PM
How nervous are you guys about our cornerbacks and overall defensive depth? I'm starting to get antsy. I don't think it will affect our regular season too much, as I only see us facing two (three if you count the Vikings) teams with elite passing attacks.

I'm just worried about hitting the playoffs and possibly facing the Saints and getting lit up. I like our offense against anybody but shootouts are unpredictable.

I just see teams that can go to a legit 3 WR option torching us unless Harris comes back as good as new and Burnett becomes a force against the pass. We failed to acquire a starting caliber CB or a true second pass-rush threat and I think it might come back to bite us.

BloodBrother
08-31-2010, 11:09 PM
I think the D will be fine. CB depth is sort of lacking, but how many teams are 3-4 deep with good CB's? We need Harris back and healthy, and if he is by week 7, the Packers have 2 elite CB's, and 1 decent/good one in Tramon. Shields/Underwood/Lee as the #4 etc I think is manageable

Top flight offenses are that for a reason, they'll get their points. Pack D just needs to do enough vs them so that the Pack offense can put up enough points on the board. Definitely will need to generate some sort of pass rush vs those elite offenses. That was the problem last season. Give those elite offense with good QB's all day to throw, and it doesn't matter how many Woodson/Revis's you got in the secondary

I think as the season goes on, the DL will continue to improve, and Raji will get better and better. That Neal pick is looking really good now, as he'll play a valuable role in keeping everybody on that line fresh, rotating in and out for Picket/Jenkins/Raji

All thats left is to find out who else will be getting to the QB opposite Clay. Can Jones/Zombo get the job done?

J-Mike88
08-31-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm worried as hell.
Why?

Well TT basically ignored what all our eyes saw last year in Minny, Pittsburgh, and Arizona, telling us they expect their young draft picks Lee and Underwood to improve from within.

No free agents, or traded CBs were brought in, or draft picks.

Pat Lee sucks, he's basically Ahmad Carroll out there. Underwood is raw, and brittle. Too skinny.
Sam Shields looks better than both of those guys, but he's still raw and should never be starting this year, but right now he's our starting nickelback, and against all those passing teams, we need good nickels.

This I just don't understand here:
The Seattle Seahawks surprisingly traded starting cornerback Josh Wilson to the Baltimore Ravens on Tuesday in exchange for a conditional 2011 draft pick.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said they felt there was enough depth at the position with Kelly Jennings and rookie Walter Thurmond that they could part with Wilson.

"This was a team that was very aggressive in coming after Josh," Seattle general manager John Schneider said. "They were in a situation where they have a strong need. It has more to do with how Walter has stepped up and how (Marcus Trufant) is playing and some of the younger guys."

The move came just as the Seahawks were wrapping up practice on Tuesday, a practice that Wilson participated in before receiving word of the trade.

Wilson spent his first three seasons with the Seahawks after being a second-round pick out of Maryland in 2007. Wilson started 23 of 28 games the last two seasons and took both of his interceptions a year ago back for touchdowns.

Wilson also has been a standout on special teams, averaging 27 and 25 yards per kickoff return his first two years in the league.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/08/31/seahawks.ravens.trade.ap/index.html?eref=sircrc#ixzz0yFPksn3Y

Sportsfan486
09-01-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm worried as hell.
Why?

Well TT basically ignored what all our eyes saw last year in Minny, Pittsburgh, and Arizona, telling us they expect their young draft picks Lee and Underwood to improve from within.

No free agents, or traded CBs were brought in, or draft picks.

Pat Lee sucks, he's basically Ahmad Carroll out there. Underwood is raw, and brittle. Too skinny.
Sam Shields looks better than both of those guys, but he's still raw and should never be starting this year, but right now he's our starting nickelback, and against all those passing teams, we need good nickels.

This I just don't understand here:

TT obviously refuses to stop believing in our young CBs, even though there is absolutely no indication any of them, except Shields, will ever be even nickel worthy (and Shields is at least a couple years off.) It's ridiculous that we wouldn't give a 4th for Wilson, but we have no choice but to wait and hope. I'm sure TT honestly believes he can draft a better player than Wilson with the 4th rounder next year, despite a history of horrible CB picks.

I hope Jones steps up as a pass rusher. I think he could. Or maybe they somehow light a fire under Raji, cuz if he goes out there and plays with aggression every down he's got the ability to consistently collapse the pocket. The only thing stopping him from being a top-5 nose tackle in the league is his passion (or lack thereof.)

Any reports that Jones bulked up this offseason? He was too small for an effective 3-4 OLB last year.

J-Mike88
09-01-2010, 02:56 PM
ON SAM SHIELDS

From Q&A with Pistol Pete today:

Pete Dougherty:
A little of both. But I have to say, I've been doing this since '93 and have never seen an undrafted rookie make plays like he has in camp. Now, if he's the nickel guy he's going to get abused some, you can count on that, it's happened in practice. But he's made a handful of plays that are kind of,'wow, you don't see that too often out here except from guys like Woodson. So there's some real talent there.

Also, what happened to twiggy Josh Bell again?

TitleTown088
09-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Josh Wilson is shor, 5 foot 9, there was no way TT was going to go after him. He hasn't drafted a CB under 5 foot 11 since he's been in Green bay. Jon Sneider obviously follows the same line of thought, and it probably factored into this decision to move Wilson.

TitleTown088
09-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Any reports that Jones bulked up this offseason? He was too small for an effective 3-4 OLB last year.

Yep, Jones reportedly put on over 10 lbs this off season.

RyanBraun8
09-01-2010, 10:25 PM
So yeahhhh, Kevin O'Connell needs to be signed by the Packers..a little off topic but I liked the kid coming out, liked him in New England, Jets was a lose lose for him with Brunell and Clemons was who they were comfortable with. Good size (6'5 225) good arm, and can move well. I think he is for sure an upgrade over Harrell and think he'd compete well with Flynn. Just a thought, just got done watching hardknocks.

I'm not going to worry about DB to much. J-Mike can continue to beat those Vikings games (no pas rush at all) that Steeler Game, reasonable arguement, and the Cardinal game (same exact gameplay as the week before....give any great 38 year old, possible HOF QB a week to study you and and give him the exact same look....heck even Taveras Jackson could pull that off) So one game is on the DB's 100% and the others are on play calling/strategy and/or lack of pressure (Let Favre read through a defense for at least 5,6,7 seconds a play, he'd make 09'-10' Jets secondary look silly, Revis included)

Sammy Shields could be the steal of the draft when we look back on this draft in a few years. Right now the mistakes he is making are just common mistakes a rookie will make....the plays he makes at times are just wow. Just to bad he can't field a punt or Kick return to save his @ss.

RyanBraun8
09-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Well just read J-Mikes post on Sheilds lol guess me a Pete Doughtery are on the same page...

J-Mike88
09-01-2010, 10:45 PM
RB, I hear ya on the lack of pass rush in the Minny game 1, but they went after him harder in game 2, just couldn't get to him soon enough to cover up for the lack of coverage. Always, first half especially, someone was open too soon.

And not adding anyone better than Brad Jones concerns me.
I love Mike Neal. But to me, the other OLB spot is critical to disrupting and battering QBs like Farve, Brees, Brady, etc. I hope the pocket is really collapsed with Raji, Jenkins, and Neal, but I really believe that they also need another OLB for the QB and OL to worry about.

I am an optimist and pessimist at the same time, but this area of our team is still the biggest chance of keeping us from getting to Dallas IMO.

I hope Shields continues to develop and improve. Imagine a healthy Harris back, with Shields having improved even more in these almost 2 months. That would be a nice dime-package and we wouldn't have to worry about Bush or Underwood or Lee. The problem is that the odds are some more new injuries creep in.

Look at all the guys nicked up already before the season gets here.

GB12
09-01-2010, 10:49 PM
So yeahhhh, Kevin O'Connell needs to be signed by the Packers..a little off topic but I liked the kid coming out, liked him in New England, Jets was a lose lose for him with Brunell and Clemons was who they were comfortable with. Good size (6'5 225) good arm, and can move well. I think he is for sure an upgrade over Harrell and think he'd compete well with Flynn.

He's got to be better than Harrell, but Flynn has the backup spot and we're not going to keep three QBs.

TitleTown088
09-02-2010, 11:15 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/shimsham/rodgcowboy.jpg

awesome.

princefielder28
09-02-2010, 11:57 AM
That looks screams pure sexy

umphrey
09-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Shields might get abused some, but he's the athletic kind of player that can come up with a pick in a high scoring aerial game. Peyton, Brees, Favre with try to throw on him and they will successfully, until he gets lucky and ends up with a pick. If he can do that, it will be a 14 point swing in a true shoot out game like Arizona last year and can be the difference between a loss and a win.

The good defenses rarely shut down offenses like the Colts or the Vikings. They avoid big plays and use a mix of athletic, opportunistic secondaries with good pass rushing when they can and cerebral linebackers that usually hold the runner to a 4 yard gain or less. We kind of fit that profile.

You guys need to remember that Shields is truly our 4th corner, Lee and Underwood are 5th and 6th, and they have combined for 1 full NFL season.

princefielder28
09-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Shields is our 3rd corner, not 4th. Harris will not play for at least the first six weeks and even after that Harris needs to prove that he is physically able to perform at a level anywhere near the point he was at before he got hurt; and at that point he was already in decline so there's no saying what a major knee injury will have done to his ability. And any Packers fan can try to sugarcoat what the impact, positive or negative, will be with Shields on the field but the truth is that's it's frightening to think that someone this inexperienced and raw will serve a vital role in the success of this team.

Sportsfan486
09-02-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm just afraid we're going to have to cover up for our lack of CB depth by consistently playing both our safeties deep against teams that can go 3-wide. I really like our D-Line going into this year and I really think Jones has a shot at becoming a legit #2 pass-rusher.

I'm not counting on Harris. If he DOES come back and is able to play at his old level by the playoffs and our CB rotation looks like Woodson-Charles-Williams-Shields and Jones ended up with 8+ sacks... I'll be looking forward to the Superbowl.

Also, just wanted to point out.. based on our schedule, does anyone see less than 12 wins this season? It's SUCH an easy schedule! I mean, the Cowboys and Patriots are the biggest games and the Patriots just lost a starting CB for the year. Rodgers should be able to put 350 on them without sweating.

I'm going 13-3. I think we'll lose once to the Vikings, to Atlanta, and then drop one against a lesser opponent (Miami is my guess.)

PackerLegend
09-02-2010, 03:49 PM
pssssh 13-3 were going to do what the Patriots couldn't! 19-0!

J-Mike88
09-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Bucky Brooks
Aaron Rodgers puts up an MVP-caliber performance in leading a high-octane offense and the Packers to the division title.
Prediction: 12-4, first in NFC North

Vic Carucci
The Packers are serious contenders. Aaron Rodgers is among the NFL's best quarterbacks. Year Two in the 3-4 should help defense.
Prediction: 11-5, first in NFC North

Pat Kirwan
Packers could go deep in playoffs but have to deal with Vikings. Aaron Rodgers needs to stay upright, and losing DE Johnny Jolly hurts.
Prediction: 11-5, second in NFC North

Jason La Canfora
Could be the best team in football. Must avoid OL and DB injuries, but with Rodgers under center the Packers are poised for big things.
Prediction: 13-3, first in NFC North

Michael Lombardi
Offense is the best I have seen in some time. They will score a ton of points and allow their defense to rush the passer.
Prediction: 12-4, first in NFC North

Steve Wyche
Aaron Rodgers will light things up behind an upgraded line. NT B.J. Raji, playing his natural position, will be a top defender.
Prediction: 11-5, first in NFC North

GB12
09-03-2010, 12:45 AM
From JSOnline
Kansas City — The Green Bay Packers have received one or more calls asking if offensive lineman Jason Spitz is available in a trade, while other teams are waiting to see whether he or teammate Evan Dietrich-Smith will be released on Saturday, NFL sources said this week.

Great news.

J-Mike88
09-03-2010, 08:45 AM
It's ironic to me that the position that the national media says is our weakness, the OL, is the one we have the most trade-worthy depth/assets.

I hope TT is able to at least do one trade with an OL for DB or OLB. These guys are better than Tony Moll is. Well, I think. Maybe not as Moll is playing for the Ravens right now.

umphrey
09-03-2010, 11:28 AM
For the first six weeks our secondary should be adequate. Then they could actually pretty good. It would be bad for the team to think this way, but we can: we'll be getting considerably stronger in the secondary come December, and we won't lose enough games to knock us out of contention in the first 6 weeks. Charles Woodson and Nick Collins can't get hurt though. That would be almost as catastrophic as loosing Aaron Rodgers with where this team is right now.

CB1: Woodson
CB2: Harris
FS: Collins
SS: Bigby
Nickel: Tramon Williams
Dime: Morgan Burnett
Top backup: Sam Shields

or

CB1: Woodson
CB2: Tramon Williams
FS: Collins
SS: Burnett
Nickel: Harris
Dime: Shields
Top Backup: Bigby

Either one of those are just as good or better as teams that have won championships recently. Harris is a vet whose never been fast. He'll come back and be a mid-low level #2 or a good nickel. Shields is low on the depth chart but he has played as good or better than any corner we would have drafted 2nd round or later. If we had drafted a corner in the third and he played exactly like Shields has everyone would be talking about what a good pick it was and projecting him as a future starter. I got off topic a bit - what I meant to say was Shields is a spot player and Capers can hide him a bit in the secondary, not force him to man up on savvy receivers but put him in a position to ballhawk a bit in zone with help (pass rush or safety).

princefielder28
09-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Underwood is out indefinitely with a shoulder injury

J-Mike88
09-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Underwood is out.
And remember, the real games have yet to begin.

There WILL be more injuries starting in week one. It's normal, it happens. You have to plan for it and be prepared.

Do you guys realize how lucky we have been with the durability of Charles Woodson? Seriously? Do you? This is a guy who was hurt all the time and missed games all the time before we stole him. He's way overdue to miss a few games.

Tramon hasn't shown to be a good #2 CB. What if he has to play #1 CB? Imagine him being the best we got out there. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

And Pat Lee sucks. He doesn't know what he's doing out there.

I can live with TT electing to assume Brad Jones is going to blossom at OLB. He showed some serious ability as a pass rusher at Colorado and had some nice moments last year for us. But I never, ever saw a player in Pat Lee, from Auburn to Green Bay. TT just loves his 5-11 or taller CBs. There are dons of 5-10 or under CBs who can do a lot better than Pat Lee can.

This team is Super Bowl caliber on rush defense, pass offense, and the running game. We need the pass defense to be able to cover prolific passing attacks if we have any future in the post-season. You can't get to face the Browns and Bucs and Rams in the playoffs. Hell, we lost to the Bucs last year and the year before, and we made the Browns offense look good this August too.

I'm optimistic, but still far from sold about our pass defense. I think TT is asking for Capers to be David Copperfield.

J-Mike88
09-03-2010, 02:32 PM
I wonder what we could get from Oakland, Kansas City, or Denver for Spitz.
Think they'd give us CB Chris Johnson back? We drafted him. Ha, I know, they drafted Woodson too! We won't give him back.

The Green Bay Packers have received one or more calls asking if offensive lineman Jason Spitz is available in a trade, while other teams are waiting to see whether he or teammate Evan Dietrich-Smith will be released on Saturday, NFL sources said this week.

There are a number of teams around the NFL who are in the market for a center, which appears to be Spitz's best position and may be Dietrich-Smith's as well. Spitz has started 45 games, but only eight have been at center. The others were at left guard (eight) and right guard (29).

Among the teams that may be looking for centers are Oakland, Philadelphia, Kansas City, Denver and Houston, while a host of others might be looking for a guard. One of the sources said he knew for sure the Packers had been contacted about Spitz, but he declined to name the inquiring team.

Another source from a different team said he was interested to see whether the Packers released either Spitz or Dietrich-Smith. A number of other teams undoubtedly are keeping a close eye on what the Packers do when rosters are cut to 53 on Saturday.

J-Mike88
09-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Is this OLB worth a look for Capers? Does he have as much upside as Frank Zombo?

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2009/3/21/805556/scouting-report-cody-brown

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/nfl_draft_prospect/Cody_Brown/1620

BloodBrother
09-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Not Packer discussion but its a rival so close enough. Just want to LOL at the Vikes for trading Rosenfels away and deciding to keep T-jack over him. They better be hoping that the 41 year old Favre can withstand another full season of punishment. Rosenfels isn't much, but he looked like a competent NFL QB, which is more than you could say for T-joke

Auron
09-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Some fellow Saints fans will probably blast, and mob me for saying this but the Packers are my pick to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl this season, I think Rodgers has an amazing season and puts up big numbers, while the Defense does just enough to maintain a win streak.

Some people said the Cowboys were that team this off-season but they haven't shown me much to put a lot of faith in them, and while I think the Saints have a solid year I don't think we'll be able to replicate that same magic we had a year ago. Just make sure you take care of the Vikings 2 times.

J-Mike88
09-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Some fellow Saints fans will probably blast, and mob me for saying this but the Packers are my pick to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl this season, I think Rodgers has an amazing season and puts up big numbers, while the Defense does just enough to maintain a win streak.

Some people said the Cowboys were that team this off-season but they haven't shown me much to put a lot of faith in them, and while I think the Saints have a solid year I don't think we'll be able to replicate that same magic we had a year ago. Just make sure you take care of the Vikings 2 times.
Thanks Auron... just make sure you take care of the Vikings next Thursday too. That's a very tough game and tough matchup for the Saints.
They outplayed you guys last season in the NFCCG, and they beat you in New Orleans on primetime the year before, with T-JAckson. And that despite I think TWO Reggie Bush returns for TDs in that game.

The Vikings DL matches great against the Saints offense I have noticed. Hope that changes on 9/9 next week!

jackalope
09-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Barbre gone.

Zombo in Obiozer out.

Toribio, Talley, Lumpkin cut.

Sportsfan486
09-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Barbre gone.

Zombo in Obiozer out.

Toribio, Talley, Lumpkin cut.

Blackmon gone is probably the biggest surprise for me. He was an electric return-man and had some potential as a 4th or 5th CB, too bad he could never stay healthy. I feel like Barbe being gone shows how much our OLine has improved.

jackalope
09-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Really surprised to see us cut Havner. I thought of the him, Lee, and Crabtree, he was the last one they'd cut.

EDS to be traded or cut, Spitz will stay put. I actually like the move to keep Spitz.

GB12
09-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Damn it, I'm pissed we're cutting Havner. I love Havner.

Don't like that we're cutting Wynn either. I thought he was a decent rotational guy. Don't know what the coaches saw in Wilson to keep him over Wynn

Nick McDonald looked pretty bad to me. I'd rather have Dietrich-Smith or Newhouse

I would have liked to trade Spitz if we got a good offer. That might mean we didn't get any good enough.

J-Mike88
09-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Blackmon gone is probably the biggest surprise for me. He was an electric return-man and had some potential as a 4th or 5th CB, too bad he could never stay healthy. I feel like Barbe being gone shows how much our OLine has improved.
I haven't even seen our cuts yet other than this thread and the other thread.
I called it with Blackmon, but WTF is Havner being mentioned for here?

How could we cut him? He makes plays as a TE, I think scored 2 TDs in the Viking game last year. He's solid on special teams, and can play LB in a pinch.

What the hell?

And hasn't TT been able to trade any of these guys?

Mr.Regular
09-04-2010, 03:25 PM
I would have rather tried to sneak Crabtree onto the PS then straight up cut Havner

BloodBrother
09-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Blackmon was a bit surprising but he just can't stay healthy. This team has NO returner at all...on punts or on kick returns. That's concerning...as well as their CB depth

They also seem to be banking on Justin Harrell staying healthy all year. Another big risk right there

J-Mike88
09-04-2010, 04:18 PM
I would have rather tried to sneak Crabtree onto the PS then straight up cut HavnerHopefully it's a false report:

RobDemovsky: Another media outlet. Might be true, just cant confirm @packersinsider: what's the story with havner's name mentioned? what's the origin?

J-Mike88
09-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Do you guys feel we need more upgrade at OLB or CB? Depth?

BloodBrother
09-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Considering the OLB backups to Matthews/Jones are Poppinga/Zombo..yeah, some upgrades would be nice, if at all possible

CB depth is another given, they need more people there, especially with Underwood out "indefinitely" with his shoulder injury

Don't like the thoughts of Nelson as PR and Jackson as KR, either

GB12
09-04-2010, 04:55 PM
I said this in a different thread already, but Nelson isn't bad as a kick returner. He ranked 11th among those with at least 20 returns and he doesn't make bad plays. Sure he's not a big time 80 yard return guy, but he never loses yards either. He fields the ball cleanly and takes what he can get. We all would like a playmaker there, but if we don't have a good one Nelson will do.

He's not too good with punts though. Maybe take a bit of a risk and let Trammon Williams do it even though he's starting.

Sportsfan486
09-04-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm terrified by our CB depth, but I'm not that concerned about our LB depth. If Poppinga or even Zombie needs to start some games this year it's not really going to destroy our defense, especially if Jones takes a logical step forward this year. Linebackers are much more plug-and-play then corners. You can't really cover up for bad corner play.

Our CB situation is dire, though. Not going to affect us much in the regular season due to lack of elite passing attacks on our schedule but once we hit the playoffs.. yikes. Drew Brees would annihilate us and with their corners I doubt even Rodgers could keep up.

Mr.Regular
09-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Nelson is awful at returning. He runs straight forward into a crowd and falls down. Every time.

umphrey
09-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Pretty sure this is our 53:

QB (2): Aaron Rodgers, Matt Flynn
RB/FB (5): Ryan Grant, Brandon Jackson, Quinn Johnson, Korey Hall, John Kuhn
WR (5): Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Brett Swain
OL (10): Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Daryn Colledge, Scott Wells, Josh Sitton, Bryan Bulaga, TJ Lang, Justin Spitz, Nick McDonald, Marshall Newhouse
TE (4): Jermichael Finley, Donald Lee, Tom Crabtree, Andrew Quarless

DL (6): Cullen Jenkins, BJ Raji, Ryan Pickett, Justin Harrell, Mike Neal, CJ Wilson
LB (8): Clay Matthews, Brad Jones, Nick Barnett, AJ Hawk, Brad Jones, Brandon Chillar, Brady Poppinga, Frank Zombo,
DB (10): Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Morgan Burnett, Nick Collins, Charlie Peprah, Derrick Martin, Pat Lee, Brandon Underwood, Sam Shields, Jarrett Bush
SPEC (3): Tim Masthay, Brett Goode, Mason Crosby

PUP: Atari Bigby, Al Harris, Quinn Porter, James Starks

I have no idea why we kept McDonald over EDS. McDonald looked like a training camp body all off season. Glad we kept Newhouse. He could turn out to be a solid tackle. Clifton and Tauscher are almost done, so it's good to keep a 3rd option besides Bulaga and Lang. Also, at LT, he might be a better option than Lang.

Glad we cut Blackmon. He was useless. Above average returner who offered absolutely nothing elsewhere and was hurt more than half the time. Should have probably cut Jarrett Bush too, use the roster spot on Cyril Obiozor or Jarius Wynn. Obiozor would have been nice to keep but he didn't have much upside and he was swimming at the bottom of a sea of mediocrity. Same with Wynn over CJ Wilson. I don't think they thought much of any of these players but the rookies showed some flashes and ability to learn so they went with that.

I can't believe we can't find a receiver who can return kicks. I don't care if he sucks he just has to play receiver, be kind of fast, and be able to catch kicks. Jordy is not a good option and it was obvious the coaches felt the same as they gave everyone they could think of a chance to take the job. What the hell is wrong where we our KR/PRs drop so many kicks? Chery or Shields probably would have the job but they can't catch the damn ball. I could learn how to do that in a week of practice, why can't professionals learn it?

Sportsfan486
09-04-2010, 06:53 PM
DB (10): Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Morgan Burnett, Nick Collins, Charlie Peprah, Derrick Martin, Pat Lee, Brandon Underwood, Sam Shields, Jarrett Bush

I think my super bowl hopes just died.

Pack_Attack_4
09-04-2010, 06:56 PM
The Green Bay Packers released 20 players and will place two on injured reserve. The transactions were announced Saturday by Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson.

Released Saturday were punter Chris Bryan, tackle Chris Campbell, wide receiver Jason Chery, cornerback D.J. Clark, center/guard Evan Dietrich-Smith, wide receiver Charles Dillon, linebacker Robert Francois, tackle Breno Giacomini, quarterback Graham Harrell, tight end Spencer Havner, linebacker Alex Joseph, safety Anthony Levine, running back Kregg Lumpkin, linebacker Cyril Obiozor, linebacker Maurice Simpkins, defensive end Ronald Talley, nose tackle Anthony Toribio, wide receiver Chastin West, wide receiver Patrick Williams and defensive end Jarius Wynn.

Tackle/guard Allen Barbre and safety Will Blackmon will be placed on injured reserve. FROM THE OFFICIAL PACKERS WEBSITE

johbur
09-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Surprise for me was Spencer Havner. He had the off-season thing, but looked good as a back-up LB, had a pick, he's good near the goal-line.
Brittle Blackmon on IR. Injury settlement and get rid of this guy. Harrell still there due to Ted's ego. I like Toribio more than him.
Practice Squad (if eligible): Jason Chery, Graham Harrell, Kregg Lumpkin, Jarius Wynn, Robert Francois, Charles Dillon, Anthony Toribio, Breno Giacomini.
Offensive roster looks good. Damn good.

Sportsfan486
09-04-2010, 07:24 PM
The Green Bay Packers released 20 players and will place two on injured reserve. The transactions were announced Saturday by Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson.

Released Saturday were punter Chris Bryan, tackle Chris Campbell, wide receiver Jason Chery, cornerback D.J. Clark, center/guard Evan Dietrich-Smith, wide receiver Charles Dillon, linebacker Robert Francois, tackle Breno Giacomini, quarterback Graham Harrell, tight end Spencer Havner, linebacker Alex Joseph, safety Anthony Levine, running back Kregg Lumpkin, linebacker Cyril Obiozor, linebacker Maurice Simpkins, defensive end Ronald Talley, nose tackle Anthony Toribio, wide receiver Chastin West, wide receiver Patrick Williams and defensive end Jarius Wynn.

Tackle/guard Allen Barbre and safety Will Blackmon will be placed on injured reserve. FROM THE OFFICIAL PACKERS WEBSITE

Numerous reports that both Barbe and Blackmon will be cut as soon as injury settlements are reached.

I've got 3 or 4 CBs that got cut today that would come in and be our #3 corner (not counting Harris, of course.) I pray TT gets over himself and signs one (OR THREE.) I'd really like to see us sign Nathan Vasher. He would be our #3 corner and punt returner, imo. I know he isn't exactly a great player at this point and has been cut twice but beyond Williams are corners are awful and Vasher is probably better than Nelson as a returner.

princefielder28
09-04-2010, 07:38 PM
and we continue to hold onto Justin Harrell...

Sportsfan486
09-04-2010, 07:43 PM

And Bush. But we drop Havner. ...TT is on drugs.

jackalope
09-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Disappointed that we kept McDonald over Havner and EDS.

I love the move to keep Quinn Johnson over a third running back.

Bush makes it through another round of cuts. Hopefully he's gone once Harris comes off the PUP.

Not sure why people are upset about Harrell making the team. Not like any of the other guys had clearly outplayed him.

RyanBraun8
09-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Donald Lee should have been cut, can't explain my disapproval of cutting Havner. What can Lee do? Block maybe a little better than Havner, but drops 3/4 of the balls tha hit him in the hands. Havner can play TE, FB, LB, be a star on special teams, catch the ball, block, hit like a truck, and pick off some passes. I guess having versatile players means nothing to the Packers. Blackmon was a surprise for me also but they could still bring him back after week 10. Disappointing that TT couldn't pull off a trade for both Breno and Dietrich-Smith...I heard there were teams interest, curious to see how he couldn't even pull off 6th or 7th round picks over cutting them.

Was a little bumbed abot cutting Lumpkin but the fact that we kept Johnson kind of offsets that. There was no way I wanted to lose him. I have no problem with Harrell, with there D-Line rotation I think his body stands a good chance off holding up and he still offers more than Wynn or Tally at a DE spot. I'd say this is his last chance though.

Lets all just face it....Bush will never ever go away :/

BloodBrother
09-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Bush still on the team shows how disappointing somebody like Pat Lee has been. Wouldn't be surprised if Lee gets cut once Al Harris returns from PUP, and Bush survives that

TitleTown088
09-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Nick McDonald looked pretty bad to me. I'd rather have Dietrich-Smith or Newhouse

Newhouse made the team I thought?

BloodBrother
09-04-2010, 10:24 PM
He did. EDS was cut, however

This D will be fine IMO, just gotta hope for no crippling injuries(obviously)

Favre4ever
09-05-2010, 12:35 AM
For the people hating on Bush (for good reason i must admit), he's had one heck of a camp and actually really well in coverage throughout the whole camp. he played with an edge and made plays. Hes no starter or nickel material but a very good special team/depth guy to have.

Also, you guys think we're the only team with secondary problems? This is a league-wide problem. Look at the Jets without Revis, Steelers without Polomalu, now the Ravens without Reed, the Saints DB core is nothing special, neither are the vikings'. I mean, its a very hard position to play especially in this era with all these great QBs. Their play depends all on the pressure up front. So the real question is, can we generate a pass rush without blitzing?, will we get to the QB at all this year? The drafting of Mike Neal and CJ wilson along with the retaining of Justin Harell have a lot to do with the philosophy Capers and MM want to have. Control the line of scrimmage and you control the game. Can they do it?

Sportsfan486
09-05-2010, 01:00 AM
the Saints DB core is nothing special,

I agree with the rest but the Saints have probably the second best corner duo in the NFL and one of the top 5 DB groups as a whole. Now, their DLine and LB groups on the other hand....

And just to say something positive about our D since I'm a bit down on it lately. I really think our front seven has a chance to be something special. I love the depth and combination of talent we have there. I feel like if Raji performs at 75% of his ability and Jones takes a small step forward, we're going to generate a solid (although not elite) pass-rush and be a brick wall against the run. There's only one player in our main 13 starter/bu front seven I don't like and that's Harrell.

I also like our safeties, especially if Burnett keeps showing what he has in the preseason. I thought he played exceptionally well in game 3; I know some critics nitpicked but he seemed incredibly fast and ball-hawking out there. I'm hoping Collins and Burnett, who I both feel are very good coverage safeties, can cover for a lot of our deficiencies there. Bigby is okay for a backup although his style seems less of a fit than Burnett, imo.

Our defense is really only one starting corner and one 8-10 sack a year guy to go with Matthews from being elite, in my opinion. The brightside of our lackluster pass coverage is we have one of, if not THE, best ball-hawking DB units in the league and these days that may be more valuable than pure coverage ability.

J-Mike88
09-05-2010, 07:46 AM
I've got 3 or 4 CBs that got cut today that would come in and be our #3 corner (not counting Harris, of course.) I pray TT gets over himself and signs one (OR THREE.) I'd really like to see us sign Nathan Vasher. He would be our #3 corner and punt returner, imo. I know he isn't exactly a great player at this point and has been cut twice but beyond Williams are corners are awful and Vasher is probably better than Nelson as a returner.
Ditto on that, all around.
I'd rather have a vet like that who may have lost a step, but knows what he's doing. Plus it would be nice to scoop up a division rival's guy instead of them always scooping up our guys like the grape apes do.

Good call on McDonald... he looked nothing more than a training camp body to me, while EDS appeared to be worth putting in as a backup at least.

Also, is McDonald really better than Havner? Come on. Havner scored as many TDs last regular season as Greg Jennings did. Last I checked, touchdowns mattered in football.

EvilMonkey
09-05-2010, 01:33 PM
from JSOnline Packer Blog

Green Bay - Here's a running list of waiver claims and/or practice squad additions:

RB Kregg Lumpkin was claimed by Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to a source;
LB Cyril Obiozor was claimed by the Arizona Cardinals, Adam Caplan of Foxsports.com reports.
Packers signed QB Graham Harrell to their practice squad, according his agent, Joby Branion.
The Detroit Lions claimed LB Spencer Havner, according to NationalFootballPost.com

Not surprising at all, but these were the 3 guys I was praying we could somehow get to the practice squad or at least 1 or 2 of them, but that isn't happening I guess. Really don't give a crap about Harrell on the PS.

GB12
09-05-2010, 04:37 PM
The Minnesota Vikings came after Breno Giacomini hard with more money for their practice squad, but the Packers gave him a better deal, so Giacomini is on the Packers' practice squad.

Those bastards, always trying to take our players.

TitleTown088
09-05-2010, 06:33 PM

Yeah, and?

Who else was more deserving at DE?

princefielder28
09-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Yeah, and?

Who else was more deserving at DE?

I'm not suggesting that we should've kept another DE over him and we got rid of NFL caliber talent in favor of a guy who has never proven to stay healthy and has shown absolutely no promise whatsoever...the 53 spots are so important, each and every one, and we dish one out to a piece of garbage.

GB12
09-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Well then ***** about Nick McDonald, CJ Wilson, Frank Zombo, and arguably a number of others, because Harrell certainly wasn't #53.

princefielder28
09-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Well then ***** about Nick McDonald, CJ Wilson, Frank Zombo, and arguably a number of others, because Harrell certainly wasn't #53.

I don't have a problem with Wilson or Zombo making the team...I don't quite understand McDonald over EDS and the biggest problem I have outside of Harrell making the team is the depth, or lack thereof, that we have in the secondary...our starters are at least solid for their role but after that it's a crap shoot and I sure hope none of them see significant time

J-Mike88
09-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Thompson sees no holes anywhere on roster. Stays put with roster at all positions.

Greg_A_Bedard:
While not surprising, I don't understand how the Packers couldn't find one player worth claiming across the league. Not a one? [via Twitter]

jasonjwilde: That was the most contentious press conference I've ever seen from Ted Thompson. [via Twitter]

GB12
09-05-2010, 10:51 PM
How can he not understand that? There's a reason those players were cut. Good teams don't pick up other teams' garbage. We already had to cut some good players to get below the limit. We're not going to cut more to pick up what other teams didn't want. I'd rather have our own borderline players that have been with the team all offseason. And we were way down the list for the waivers since priority is the same as the draft order. So the "premier" cuts didn't have a chance at getting to us.