PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84

GB12
10-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Not to mention Poppinga is gone too, so Zombo is going to play way more than he should be playing.

Gotta figure Green has gone up against the Jets Oline a lot on scout team though, so he may know how to handle them and contribute right away in this game.

umphrey
10-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Next year is going to be such a strange year with all the guys coming back plus an entire draft.

Our defensive line is going to go from
BJ Raji, CJ Wilson, Wynn, street FA

To
BJ Raji, Ryan Pickett, Cullen Jenkins, Mike Neal, Johnny Jolly, Justin Harrell, CJ Wilson, Wynn

J-Mike88
10-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Did anyone else notice the Dolphins cut LB Bobby Carpenter a week or two ago?
The teammate of AJ Hawk at Ohio State, and fellow first round pick in the 2006 Draft, by the brilliant Bill Parcells.

The Lions have signed him, and he might be starting for them this week.

senormysterioso
10-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Did anyone else notice the Dolphins cut LB Bobby Carpenter a week or two ago?
The teammate of AJ Hawk at Ohio State, and fellow first round pick in the 2006 Draft, by the brilliant Bill Parcells.

The Lions have signed him, and he might be starting for them this week.

Carpenter has been traded or released 3 times this season, that has to be at least approaching a record

PackerLegend
10-27-2010, 09:59 PM
How many changes have we made to our roster this week? I think that has to be a record and the weeks not over yet. Guys going and guys coming its ridiculous. Hell I probably cant even name half our defense anymore. The coaches dont even know their names they probably just go by number now.

J-Mike88
10-27-2010, 10:15 PM
No kidding... we've had more guys on defense go down than the Kardashian Sisters at black frat party.

I do like the addition of big fat Howard Green.... can he simply do some run-stuffing plugging for us, a la a Pickett, or Phat Williams of the Vikings?

Dude is as big as an elephant, should help in short yardage just being in the way.

And finally we get a guy from the team we're about to play. That kind of insight might help, might not. But it can't hurt. And maybe we can give Raji some rest finally this week before he breaks down.....

GB12
10-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Look at it this way, if nothing else he'll at least take TJ Lang's place in short yardage packages.

GB12
10-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Green likely to play this week. Interesting story too

Howard's not so excellent adventure
By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel
Oct. 28, 2010 2:41 p.m.

Green Bay -- If NT Howard Green plays with the kind of determination he showed in getting to the Packers facility, the coaches will fall in love with him.

Green, who was claimed on waivers from the New York Jets Wednesday, missed practice Thursday because he was still en route to Packers headquarters. He arrived in the early afternoon after what he said was a 30-hour odyssey to get from New York to Green Bay.

"It was a trip, but I’m glad to be here and grateful for my opportunity to be part of the Green Bay Packers," Green said. "This is something I really appreciate.

Asked how long it took him to get here, Green said: "Drove about 20 hours -- about 30 hours easy with no sleep. I haven’t been to sleep yet. It’s funny, but it’s all worth it. For the love of the game."

Green said he was driving from New York to Louisiana when his agent called to say he needed to get to the nearest airport so he could fly to Green Bay. He tried to make a flight from Baton Rouge, but traffic was bad and he missed it.

He made it to New Orleans and left from there, but his connection in Atlanta left him stranded after tornadoes started hitting the area. He never was able to leave and had to wait until the morning to get on a plane to Green Bay.

"I got a call from my agent telling me I need to try to get to the closest airport available, so I just stopped on the side of the road, grabbed a couple of things out of my truck and I’m here," Green said.

Coach Mike McCarthy said it wasn't ideal that Green missed practice, but he said the fact Green played for Dom Capers in Houston and with McCarthy in New Orleans should help him assimilate quickly. At this point, it's pretty likely he'll play against the Jets with just one day of practice.

umphrey
10-28-2010, 06:38 PM
I liked reading that story as well. It seems like, maybe, he might stick around longer than just helping us finish out the year. We seemed really eager to get him and he seems eager to be here.

GB12
10-28-2010, 06:44 PM
I liked reading that story as well. It seems like, maybe, he might stick around longer than just helping us finish out the year. We seemed really eager to get him and he seems eager to be here.
I kind of doubt that. If you recall what you wrote earlier:
Next year is going to be such a strange year with all the guys coming back plus an entire draft.

Our defensive line is going to go from
BJ Raji, CJ Wilson, Wynn, street FA

To
BJ Raji, Ryan Pickett, Cullen Jenkins, Mike Neal, Johnny Jolly, Justin Harrell, CJ Wilson, Wynn

We have a lot more talented guys back next year. Raji, Pickett, Jenkins, Jolly, Neal and one of Harrell/Wilson/Wynn is what I expect for next year.

umphrey
10-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Yeah that's what I was thinking too but I wasn't going to get ahead of myself and start projecting what we do with Jolly coming off suspension, Jenkins needing a contract, Harrell staying healthy, etc.

J-Mike88
10-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Yeah that's what I was thinking too but I wasn't going to get ahead of myself and start projecting what we do with Jolly coming off suspension, Jenkins needing a contract, Harrell staying healthy, etc.
Which is funny because that's what, in fact, you were doing.

I like Green and he's a very nice addition by Ted Thompson at this point in time.
Ryan Pickett seems like he needs some rest..... and with the bye coming up after the Dallas game, he basically can have 4 weeks rest if he misses the Dallas game, then is back for At Minny and then at Atlanta where stopping Michael Turner is paramount.

J-Mike88
10-30-2010, 12:35 AM
http://packersinsider.com/2010/10/green-bay-packers-make-move-to-keep-tramon-williams/

Some new big $$ being thrown at TrayMon?

Sportsfan486
10-30-2010, 05:45 AM
http://packersinsider.com/2010/10/green-bay-packers-make-move-to-keep-tramon-williams/

Some new big $$ being thrown at TrayMon?

Not huge money, would be very happy to see it happen. He may never become a top 5 corner but he's definitely playing like a true #1 this year and probably in that 15-20 best corner range.

Pack_Attack_4
10-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Has ne1 heard ne thing about Al or Bigby being back for this weeks game

Sportsfan486
10-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Has ne1 heard ne thing about Al or Bigby being back for this weeks game

Al isn't being taken off the PuP this week. Bigby is still on the list but he's being evaluated to be taken off.

umphrey
10-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Not huge money, would be very happy to see it happen. He may never become a top 5 corner but he's definitely playing like a true #1 this year and probably in that 15-20 best corner range.

If we sign Tramon for the rumored $6-7M/year, that would be fantastic. There aren't as many good corners in the league as people think and Tramon is absolutely playing top 10 this year, maybe even on the edge of top 5. He is 27 years old, so any contract we give him is going to run through the prime of his career, and generally at that age players sign for inflated value as opposed to when they are old or young. Paying him $6-7M/year would be giving him top 15-20 money today, which will be like top 30 money in 3 years with contracts getting bigger every year. Like I said previously, at his age, whoever signs him (us!) is expecting him to play just as good or better for the 3-5 years of the contract, so paying a top 10 improving cornerback top 30 money is a huge steal.

If he wanted to, I have no doubt he could get Nick Collins money, $10M/year or better by becoming a UFA next year. If he takes a home town discount, that kind of loyalty to give up at least $10 million dollars over the length of the deal would be extremely respectable. He isn't going to lose money at this point by being a former UDFA. He is one of the better athletes on the team as you can clearly see when he returns kicks, which would be the big question about being a former UDFA. You can watch years of NFL tape on him and see that he has NFL instincts at this point.

GB12
10-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Bigby and Harris (and Starks) are out.

J-Mike88
10-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Bigby and Harris (and Starks) are out.Man, are they just not ready, or does MM just want to keep playing Shields, Lee, Underwood, and Peprah that much while they are still healthy?

Sportsfan486
10-31-2010, 01:33 AM
Man, are they just not ready, or does MM just want to keep playing Shields, Lee, Underwood, and Peprah that much while they are still healthy?

My guess is they're not 100% and he's milking the PuP spots as long as possible. If not and they end up being season-long, that leaves us one more DB injury from a bottom 15 defense.

J-Mike88
10-31-2010, 07:49 AM
My guess is they're not 100% and he's milking the PuP spots as long as possible. If not and they end up being season-long, that leaves us one more DB injury from a bottom 15 defense.
Yeah, that sounds right. After the Dallas game, we have a bye for more rest.
And then it's nightmare on elm street as 4/5 games are on the road, including in Atlanta, Minny, and New England in that span. They'll want some DBs healthy for that stretch.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Watching the game today, but just out of curiosity, how;s Raji done this year?

princefielder28
10-31-2010, 01:24 PM

Raji has played well...definitely getting comfortable with his role in the 3-4

cvv84
10-31-2010, 01:32 PM

Emerging stud. He's been arguably one of our top 4 defensive players this year. Trammon Williams, Clay Matthews, and Cullen Jenkins being the others. He's still getting acclimated to the position and this is his 1st season at NT and as a starter for us but he's definetly showing flashes. Very happy with him and that he slid down to us at #9.

PackerLegend
10-31-2010, 03:29 PM
This win was absolutely huge. We must beat Dallas next week at home and we could be heading into the bye at 6-3 sky high with confidence. Get a few guys healthy and things look alot better then they did 2 weeks ago.

umphrey
10-31-2010, 03:34 PM
One of the grittiest wins I've ever seen from this team. Gives me confidence for the playoffs I didn't have 2 weeks ago.

Mr.Regular
10-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Packers in 1st.
Vikings about to be (tied for) last.

Life is good.

cvv84
10-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Packers in 1st.

Life is good.

+ Favre being knocked out of the game and carted off. Definetly a Halloween treat.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz26/cvv84/awesome.jpg

GB12
10-31-2010, 07:18 PM
That was the first shut out in the NFL this year.

PackerLegend
10-31-2010, 07:27 PM
That is actually quite amazing. Its almost impossible to stop an NFL team from getting 0 points and its even tougher when your missing half your D. Some guys have really stepped up. I thought Peprah has played well, Sheilds for being an UDFA playing CB for 1 year in college and now is our nickel.. amazing. Bishop's play has definitely changed my opinion of him. Zombo's done alright same with CJ Wilson.

Its also nice that we didnt put Cullen Jenkins on IR like some of you wanted last week. :D

GB12
10-31-2010, 07:38 PM
I've always liked Peprah. I don't think there's much of a drop between Burnett and him.

Bishop has been beastly. Definitely earning a starting spot for next year. He's playing at a pro bowl level.

I don't think anyone wanted to put Jenkins on IR.

umphrey
10-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Bishop had 10 solo tackles. Next guy had 4. Can we give him a contract now?

BloodBrother
10-31-2010, 09:08 PM
Bishop is really backing up his words from preseason. Also, props to Peprah. He looked pretty meh when he first stepped in, but he has now had I believe 3 pretty good games. He was good vs the run today and was really laying some big hits. The depth on this defense is amazing, and I can't wait for what they can do when healthy next year.

Great, great win with their backs really against the wall. Nobody really gave them a shot today and really why would they? Ton of injuries...just came off of a hard fought win vs a division rival while the Jets had 2 weeks to prepare for the Pack. This is a huge win to really get this team on hopefully a good streak

need to take care of business vs a Dallas team that looked like they QUIT today, but they can't take them lightly anyway.

J-Mike88
10-31-2010, 09:09 PM
I've always liked Peprah. I don't think there's much of a drop between Burnett and him.
I agree with that, and in fact have graded Peprah much higher than Burnett. But remember those were Morgan's first career games.

Peprah is more sure of himself, and much more aggressive, strong.

PackerLegend
10-31-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't think anyone wanted to put Jenkins on IR.

It was a joke. A few people last week thought he was going to miss significant time and figured it would be better to put him on IR and save a spot. Thankfully his pregame injury only cost him the Vikings game. I liked his hair cut today it was beastly.

So do you guys think Peprah should retain the Safety spot or if Bigby is healthy does he get it back?

J-Mike88
10-31-2010, 09:12 PM
+ Favre being knocked out of the game and carted off. Definetly a Halloween treat.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz26/cvv84/awesome.jpg
You know... last year and last week, I wanted to see Jenkins or Raji or Matthews just hammer Favre. I loved seeing the Saints hammer him in the NFCCG.

But I was shocked, and totally in disbelief, but seeing him barely able to get up after taking that hit today..... I was actually sad and found it hard to watch. I never thought I'd feel like that. But seeing him in that condition, I felt sadness.

Anyone else feel that? Be honest.

J-Mike88
10-31-2010, 09:14 PM
So do you guys think Peprah should retain the Safety spot or if Bigby is healthy does he get it back?
It's not like he's Polamalu or Ed Reed, so I would say if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
Shutout today, he does a good job in run support.... leave Chuck Peprah in there with Chuck Woodson.

PackerLegend
10-31-2010, 09:19 PM
I hate the guy with a passion and enjoyed every second of the pounding he has taken. Honestly after that play I did feel a little bad for the guy. He gets his ass beat and he is 41 but keeps coming back. You have to respect that about the guy he is pretty tough. He is fine besides a few stitches and is expected to keep playing. So hopefully he will keep being Brent throwing bone headed ints but I dont wish him a serious injury. I do enjoy watching him get thrown to the ground almost every play especially againist the Packers. Absolutely loved when Matthews grabbed his jersey and whipped him to the ground.

BloodBrother
10-31-2010, 10:51 PM
I didn't feel sad, I loved it. Favre pissed all over his legacy and crapped on the Packer fanbase. I love watching him and his new team fail, and fail miserably. It is nice to see them tied for last with Detroit

TitleTown088
10-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Packers in 1st.

Life is good.

Hopefully it stays that way, but the Vikings have some easier games coming up.

Green could turn out to be a real nice pick up.

jackalope
10-31-2010, 11:20 PM
I took a lot of joy in watching him take that hit and get carted away.

Sportsfan486
11-01-2010, 01:52 AM
Hopefully it stays that way, but the Vikings have some easier games coming up.

Green could turn out to be a real nice pick up.

The Vikings have to go 7-2 to have a shot at the playoffs. Favre is obviously not human but his leg is basically useless, Moss has given up already and is poisoning the team, and that secondary is beyond suspicious. They face 6 teams with winning records. It's possible but not terribly likely.

J-Mike88
11-01-2010, 08:23 AM
(Howard) Green could turn out to be a real nice pick up.
I think so too, but talking with Silverstein & McGinn last night, they don't think he'll be around too long once Pickett comes back.

I hope they're wrong.

I think it should be these 6:

(BB) Raji
Jenkins
(BB) Pickett
(BB) Green
CJ Wilson
J Wynn

(BB) stands for big beef. We need some big ole beef for short yardage situations so we don't have to use TJ Lang and those types of things. Short yardage situations are usually big plays. You can't be forced to use offensive lineman there. Plus Picket, and Raji, both can and do play other positions along the DL.

Mike Montgomery should be the one sent packing, again, if/when Pickett gets back. He knows that drill. He asked for his release once before.... then ended up on the couch and was thankful we called him back a few weeks ago.

GB12
11-01-2010, 02:12 PM
If you haven't heard, the Vikings waived Moss. I can't ******* stop laughing. A third round pick for 3 weeks of nothing. Way to go Minnesota. I'm glad our GM isn't a dumbass.

BloodBrother
11-01-2010, 02:25 PM
I hope Childress is in Minnesota forever. It's so much fun. Speaking of our GM...the Packers might have found their replacements for Woodson/Harris...via 2 UNDRAFTED FA. That's pretty impressive. Tramon has already showed his ability but this year he has taken it to the next level and is actually been better than Woodson. Shields is still raw but so far he has been holding his own and I loved how quickly he snuffed out that Brad Smith run. That looked like it was about to be a 20 yarder and dude just used his 4.20 40 speed to sprint across the field and stop him for only about a 3 yard gain.

Agreed on Green, to. I hope he sticks around, he looked pretty good yesterday. Problem is the Packers are so THIN at DE that they might have to keep somebody like a Jarius Wynn...since Pickett can slide to NT to spell Raji. I hope Green continues to stay on the roster...the more depth the merrier

bigboiajhawk
11-01-2010, 02:45 PM
I actually LOL'd when I heard Moss was released...Maybe just in spite of Brett could we sign Moss...Just Kidding...Don't want Moss and the baggage that he brings.

J-Mike88
11-01-2010, 04:16 PM
My Viking fans are just up in arms, but **** them. They were 100% giddy just a few weeks ago when they got him.

One of the homers in my FF league traded Andre Johnson for Randy Moss 2 weeks ago.... stupid ***** fool. Nobody ever offers me trades like that.

umphrey
11-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Agreed on Green, to. I hope he sticks around, he looked pretty good yesterday. Problem is the Packers are so THIN at DE that they might have to keep somebody like a Jarius Wynn...since Pickett can slide to NT to spell Raji. I hope Green continues to stay on the roster...the more depth the merrier

I think he has an underrated chance to make the roster next year. Not a good one but a shot. With a healthy Pickett and Raji we still only have 1 nose tackle, even though Pickett can play NT. To spell Raji that means we have to wear down Pickett more and instead of bringing in a fresh body we just move over another big man that has been taking a pounding. If we bring back Jolly, he's probably our 3rd big man though.

EvilMonkey
11-01-2010, 04:36 PM
this might be my desktop for a while

http://30fps.mocksession.com/2010%20October%2031%2018%2058%201.jpg

umphrey
11-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Approved.

Maybe you can add in a pic of Randy Moss photoshopped so that it's mooning Brad Childress and Vikings fans for epic Viking embarrassment. Hell just seeing Childress wearing Vikings apparel puts me in a good mood. Childress, Lovie, and Millen are the Packers big 3 (the Lions still haven't cleaned up Millen's mess).

Mr.Regular
11-01-2010, 09:50 PM
I hate Favre as much as anyone else here.
This year though, watching Favre suck, having the sexual harassment thing come up, seeing him get beaten to a pulp consistently, and watching him turn himself into a walking punch-line does make me a bit sad. Not because I like him... I do enjoy watching him fail.... but because of what he used to mean. Used to be my childhood hero. Used to be such an awesome figure. Now he's just such a loser. The traitor thing is what makes me hate him. His 'patheticness' is what makes me sad. Wish it didn't end this way.

PackerLegend
11-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Life is good in Packer land... A big win yesterday, no QB drama, no WR drama, no head coach drama. This is really turning into the best couple of days Green Bay has seen in awhile.

Mr.Regular
11-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Life is good in Packer land... A big win yesterday, no QB drama, no WR drama, no head coach drama. This is really turning into the best couple of days Green Bay has seen in awhile.
I love the NFL. Things change so fast.
2-3 weeks ago, everyone (including me) had lost all faith. We were also scared of Favre/Moss coming to town.
Now we're one game against a 1-6 team away from 6-3 heading into the bye.

GB12
11-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Woah woah woah, everyone lost faith? Don't group me, and plenty of others, into that.

Mr.Regular
11-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Woah woah woah, everyone lost faith? Don't group me, and plenty of others, into that.
Lost faith may have been too strong haha. But after the two straight OT losses and the ridiculous amounts of injuries we suffered, I remember feeling like the season was headed for disaster.

I still had hope... Just felt pessimistic....think last years TB game. We were all pretty down after that, then boom, we finished strong.

senormysterioso
11-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Don't be too quick to drink the kool aide though, we still have some issues on the offensive side of the ball especially. We're a good, but flawed (and injured) team with a tough schedule. We're in a good place right now, but we have a tough road ahead of us.

PackerLegend
11-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Well hopefully the way things are going we will atleast get to watch the Vikings suffer more at the very minimum.

J-Mike88
11-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Well hopefully the way things are going we will atleast get to watch the Vikings suffer more at the very minimum.
You think our division winner will have 9 wins, or 10?
Honestly, I can't see anymore than 10 by any of our teams.
I don't see the Bears or Vikings being better than 8-8 by any stretch of the imagination.

Zycho32
11-02-2010, 12:03 AM
It's very difficult to hate the Vikings beyond the standard principles right now, not after the [BLEEP] that Childress is doing.

It's happened here before. You guys remember the crap Dan Devine and Forrest Gregg did when they coached here?

J-Mike88
11-02-2010, 10:03 AM
It's very difficult to hate the Vikings beyond the standard principles right now, not after the [BLEEP] that Childress is doing.

It's happened here before. You guys remember the crap Dan Devine and Forrest Gregg did when they coached here?
LOL, most of the guys here have probably not heard of Devine and Forrest Gregg before!

We've had more than our share of injuries, obviously. Record amount of missed games form starters, including superkey players.

But what a mess they have in Minnesota.
And here in Dallas.

We can't tale Dallas lightly though. Their defense has shut down Rodgers the past 2 years, in Green Bay, and when we weren't stumbling on offense as we are this year. That game is no gimme even though Dallas is 1-6. Records are meaningless really. Cleveland showed that at New Orleans 2 weeks ago.

Tampa Bay showed that to us last year.

umphrey
11-02-2010, 04:58 PM
well Dallas is such a clusterf#@k right now I'd be shocked if they got up to play anybody, but we can't do the same thing after winning 2 key games, coming home right before the bye

J-Mike88
11-02-2010, 08:57 PM
well Dallas is such a clusterf#@k right now I'd be shocked if they got up to play anybody, but we can't do the same thing after winning 2 key games, coming home right before the bye
Anything could happen this week... they could just lay an egg.
But they also could come out loose as hell, nothing to lose since they're already dead..... and then play a great game. I've seen sh*t like that before in the NFL.

Their defense made Garrard look like YA Tittle last week, but even in Rodgers 2 great years 08 & 09, the Dallas defense did a great job bottling him up.

In 2008, both teams were 2-0 and Dallas spanked us in Green Bay, with Arod throwing 0 TDs in our first loss of the season.

Last year, we won, but it was only 3-0 entering the 4th quarter, and that game was won almost all thanks to Charles Woodson, and Clay Matthews.

Rodgers threw just one TD, that to Spencer Havner.

Interesting note is that last year, we held Miles Austin to 20 yards receiving even though that was the year he blossomed into a stud.

But the year before, 2008, he was a total nobody and he torched us for 2 bombs, including a touchdown, and went over 100 yards on us.

I expect a battle in this game Sunday night. We better beat those guys. But if anyone expects them to fly up there, and lay down and make it easy for us, is fooling themselves.

They will have a pulse, and will be playing for their Pro Bowl votes as it's NBC Football Night in America.

BloodBrother
11-02-2010, 09:00 PM
You think our division winner will have 9 wins, or 10?
Honestly, I can't see anymore than 10 by any of our teams.
I don't see the Bears or Vikings being better than 8-8 by any stretch of the imagination.

Before the season, I had the Bears finishing last at about 5-11. Even with their hot start, I'm still not buying them as a legit threat. Their schedule is about to get real brutal down the stretch to. I think they finish 8-8 or 7-9 at best...so yeah, 9 wins probably will be enough to win the division. Vikes have the talent, but that team is so dysfunctional right now with all the drama, the disconnect between the players and the coach that I don't see how they dig themselves out of this hole. This division is really the Packers to lose

The defense, oddly enough, seems to be getting better IMO. The offense needs to step up now, even with the loss of Grant/Finley, they should be more productive than this

J-Mike88
11-02-2010, 10:32 PM
From JSonline:

Former Packers tight end Spencer Havner visited the team on Friday to undergo a physical and see how far he has come in rehabilitation of a pulled hamstring, his agent said.

Havner, who was let go in camp and picked up by the Detroit Lions, was released again after suffering the hamstring pull. The Packers may need help after rookie Andrew Quarless suffered a shoulder injury against the Jets Sunday and Havner would eventually be able to help fill the void.
However, he isn't fully healed from the hamstring injury and probably would be a candidate to be signed coming out of the bye.

GB12
11-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Mike Montgomery was cut. Probably making room for Bigby.

Didn't even know Quarless was hurt.

J-Mike88
11-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Didn't even know Quarless was hurt.
Somebody always is this year......

And Donald Driver said tonight that he'll be out for the Dallas game. And then the bye week so hopefully Double-D heals up fully before the game at Minny on Nov 21.

Pack_Attack_4
11-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Finly has emergency surgery!!!

Usually, we hear that surgical procedures performed on pro athletes were at all times a success. When there's a complication, a public announcement rarely comes.

That's precisely what happened with Packers tight end Jermichael Finley, who underwent leg surgery after being injured on October 17 against the Redskins.

"I had a second surgery," Finley told Jason Wilde of ESPN Milwaukee. "Nobody knows about it. I had caught a real small infection in my knee, so I had to go in about a week ago, had to go back under and get the infection out. I was in the hospital for two days. I'm surprised nobody knew about it. I had to get all these antibiotics in me, get blood drawn four or five times a day. It's terrible. Right now, I've got this IV in my chest, a central line."

A central line? It doesn't sound like a "real small" infection at all.

"[I]t was emergency surgery," Finley said. "I had a 105 fever, I called Doc [team physician Pat McKenzie] and said, 'I'm not feeling too good,' and we had to rush in and clean out the infection. I don't know what it's called. I guess you could call it a staph infection, but I don't think that's what it was. But I had to rush in and they put a central line in my chest. I won't get this taken out for another month and a half. Three times a day I have to get antibiotics put through it."

Again, it doesn't sound like a "real small" infection at all.

We wish Finley well in his recovery. And we hate to see what condition he'd be in right now if it had been a "real big" infection.

From profootballtalk

bigboiajhawk
11-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Sucks for J-Mike; just get healthy for next season.

I know this has been mentioned before about Merriman, but now he has been released. I would love to have him. Him and Matthews would make a deadly tandem on the outside. This year maybe not so much, but I am talking about the future. That way the Pack and TT would not have to draft an OLB so early. I would like the move, I think it would be best for Merriman if he went to a small market, you get him now, have him practice for two weeks, maybe he plays a little bit here and there. He could be just what we need to make a strong push into the postseason.

Well you can scratch that idea, notice how the Bills snagged him as soon as they could in waivers. Merriman will be back, maybe not this season, but next. He is a good player who was in major need of a change of scenery.

PackerLegend
11-03-2010, 05:47 PM
That is news that you do not want to here. Havent staph infections ended players careers? The Browns had a huge outbreak of staph infections a few years ago from what I remember. It ended LeCharles Bentley's career.

On July 22, 2010 espn.com reported that LeCharles Bentley was suing the Cleveland Browns for having him rehab in training facilities where other members of the Cleveland Browns had gotten staph infections. The staph infection did not allow his left patella tendon to heal. Bentley is reportedly suing for at least $25,000

J-Mike88
11-03-2010, 06:05 PM
That is news that you do not want to here. Havent staph infections ended players careers? The Browns had a huge outbreak of staph infections a few years ago from what I remember. It ended LeCharles Bentley's career.
Yeah that was a nasty nasty deal the Browns had there, and I remember when the Browns signed LeCharles Bentley as a rich FA addition.
He tore his ACL or broke his leg either in the first game, or before it. They never got anything out of that big ticket addition from the Saints.

Kinda like us from Joe Johnson, also from the Saints.

We better make sure J-Mike is taken care of! Sometimes antibiotics stop working, then it's bad bad news. This guy is our Antonio Gates/Dallas Clark and we gotta have him back.

umphrey
11-03-2010, 06:37 PM

It's pretty rare especially in modern times. Sometimes if they don't catch it early enough they would have to amputate or cut out ligaments, tendons, flesh, bone, wherever the infection is. They didn't have to do anything like that with Finley.

That really sucks for him. I can emphasize with him somewhat coming off a pretty bad illness myself where I wasn't eating or going out into public unless absolutely necessary.

He had a 105 degree fever for 12-15 hours. That's a critical, critical situation. If he doesn't go to the doctor his life would have been in serious danger. 107-108 is where you brain starts to cook. Sitting on 105 for 12 hours is just barely being not dead for over half a day.

J-Mike88
11-03-2010, 06:56 PM
http://tinyurl.com/33s2ujx
Wednesday Packers Injury Updates

Matthews & Colledge the latest new injuries.
Driver on crutches.
Bigby back?

TitleTown088
11-03-2010, 07:34 PM
http://tinyurl.com/33s2ujx
Wednesday Packers Injury Updates

Matthews & Colledge the latest new injuries.
Driver on crutches.
Bigby back?

Matthews just hurt his shin, he'll be fine.

Bigby will be backup when he does come back.

J-Mike88
11-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Sweet video here most of y'all haven't seen.
Crank up the volume.

VvrAvvcHme8&feature=player_embedded

umphrey
11-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Bigby will be backup when he does come back.

From starter to #3 thanks to mismanaging an injury situation

Pack_Attack_4
11-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Has ne1 heard if Al or Bigby will be back for the Dallas game?

PackerLegend
11-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Montgomery was cut so there is an open roster spot. Last I heard is they were going to wait until Saturday to add 1 of them who im assuming would be active on gameday.

J-Mike88
11-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Nothing happening all night in Cheeseland?

Here's Thursday's practice report:
* OG Daryn Colledge (back) was not at practice. He did very little yesterday after his back flared up. He said it was general soreness from last Sunday and that he thought he would be ready for Dallas. Jason Spitz would probably be the fill-in if Colledge can't play.
* LB Clay Matthews (shin) and DE Ryan Pickett (ankle) both took part in the walk-through. That's more than they did on Wednesday. But they did not take part in the full-speed workout that follows.
* TE Andrew Quarless (shoulder) returned to practice, a day after coach Mike McCarthy made it clear he was not happy with him sitting out.
* CB Charles Woodson (toe) took part in the walk-through and then left. LT Chad Clifton (hamstring/knee) returned to practice in full
* WR Donald Driver (thigh) and CB Pat Lee (ankle) are out.

GETTING NOSEY

Of all of Tim Masthay's punts Sunday, the one special teams coach Shawn Slocum loved the best was a fourth-quarter hit from the Packers 36 with 3:57 left in the game.

The punt only went 41 yards, but the hangtime and placement were so good, the Jets had no chance for a return. They took the ball over at their own 23 and netted minus-1 yards on the ensuing drive, allowing the Packers to seal the game with a Mason Crosby field goal with 2:03 left.

"The last one he had, he had in excess of 4.8 seconds of hang time at 41 yards," Slocum said. "That's pretty good. He was close to having a sixth punt inside the 20. A 40-yard net is a pretty good exchange."

That punt was one of four "drop" punts Masthay used. The "drop" punt is an Australian Rules-style kick where the punter actually hits the nose of the football instead of the mid-section.

That causes it to fly end over end. Masthay learned the finer points of the style from his training camp competition, Chris Bryan.

"They hit more soft," Slocum said. "Sometimes they’ll back spin, which is ideal. A lot of time they just hit it softer than a spiraling ball. You’ve seen those, they hit the ground and it almost accelerates. These balls, even if they move forward, hit softly."

They're only used for dropping the ball inside the 20 or preventing a return. Masthay's other four punts were spirals, including the first three in which he averaged 51.3.

HOLD HIM IN CHECK

LB Clay Matthews had a special message for right tackle Bryan Bulaga regarding Cowboys LB DeMarcus Ware.

I was always give him a hard time and tell him he has to hold him if he (Ware) beats him," Matthews said. "Obviously, just like myself, I’m sure Ware is looking at those sacks and he’s right on my tail.

"I told him, ‘Hold him if you need to.' But it’s all in fun and jest. He’s a fantastic athlete. I actually watch his film to better myself."

Matthews leads the NFL with 9.5. Ware is tied for second with 8.
HOW CAN ANYONE NOT LOVE RYAN PICKETT?
I love the big class act... very under-appreciated big fella.
PUT ME IN, COACH

Packers defensive end Ryan Pickett (ankle) was a limited participant at practice Thursday, but was hopeful of playing Sunday. Pickett has been inactive two of the last three games, and played just a handful of snaps in a Week 7 win over Minnesota.

“I want to play,” Pickett said. “And I look at it like this: I have a bye week to recover after the game. Either way, I just really want to play this game.”

He’ll be tested before the game before a decision is made.
-Thanks to our guy Tom SilverStine over at the JSonline.

J-Mike88
11-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Nice piece on THE BISHOP here: http://tinyurl.com/38luatg

Desmond Bishop has been fantastic for the Packers, and he's made himself a lot of money lately. Too much that the Packers won't be afford to keep him?

cuzifelt1ikeit
11-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Has ne1 heard if Al or Bigby will be back for the Dallas game?

i think they have to be activated this week or cant play at all this year. not 100% but pretty sure thats how it works

Yeah that was a nasty nasty deal the Browns had there, and I remember when the Browns signed LeCharles Bentley as a rich FA addition.
He tore his ACL or broke his leg either in the first game, or before it. They never got anything out of that big ticket addition from the Saints.

it was the very first practice of training camp. he was so psyched to go play for the browns and just had a terrible string of bad luck. gotta feel for the guy.

umphrey
11-05-2010, 04:08 AM
“James Jones could play better, yes,” Jones said. “But James Jones believes to be up, you need opportunities. I can’t throw the ball to myself. I can’t do that.
“Now, I believe people say, ‘Up and down, up and down’ because with the few opportunities I have, I may let a ball go, which I have this year. I haven’t really made the most of my opportunities and I have let a couple balls go.
“I understand where it comes from, but with opportunities I believe comes consistency and hopefully I can get some more opportunities.”
What a terrible attitude. How about instead of complaining about opportunities or balls thrown your way, you apologize for fumbling the game away against Chicago or dropping a picture perfect pass that would have been the only TD of the game against the Jets. If you hadn't screwed up so much you could be the focus of the offense right now with Driver and Finley out and defenses keying on Jennings. Third person? I hope he was joking. This is the first negative I've had about James Jones' attitude so I'm hoping he was answering a baited question or not communicating his thoughts well or something.

J-Mike88
11-05-2010, 06:09 PM
I tip my cap to TRAYMON!

CB Tramon Williams was asked if he was happy Vikings WR Randy Moss is now out of the NFC North. “It doesn’t matter,” Williams said. “I didn’t see much of a difference if he was there or not.”

princefielder28
11-05-2010, 06:39 PM
I understand what Tramon is trying to convey there but we all know Moss changes the gameplan and did against us; that's why Percy Harvin's season had taken off once they got him...

J-Mike88
11-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Did You Know:

MATTHEWS vs WARE

Clay Matthews was drafted in the 2009 NFL Draft with the 26th pick. Since that day, no player in the NFL has more sacks than this 2nd year player. That's right. Right out of college with no acclimation time, he has 19.5 sacks in 23 games as a pro. DeMarcus Ware has 19, Trent Cole and Dwight Freeney have 18.5, and another 2009 Draftee, Brian Orakpo has 18 during that stretch.

Despite more injuries on their defense than any other team in the NFL, the Packers D is #1 in the NFL in Opponent's passer rating. The Packers allow their opponents merely a 68.8 passer rating.

Pack_Attack_4
11-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Jus bought tickets to see Packers vs Lions in Det. Pritty excited this will be my first live packers game

J-Mike88
11-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Jus bought tickets to see Packers vs Lions in Det. Pritty excited this will be my first live packers game
Sweet. Good for you!

Hopefully we are 9-3 or 8-4 at that point and you get to see a win to make us go to 9-4 or 10-3, with our final 3 games after that At New England, then home vs NYG and Chicago!

I've seen the Packers lose in Detroit before, but not at Ford Field. It was the ugly Silverdome.

GB12
11-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Bigby has been activated.

J-Mike88
11-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Bigby has been activated.
He's headed for the head of Dez Bryant coming across the middle.
He didn't get the memo about the new rules.

Check this out about Randy Moss and the Vikings/Ziggy Wilf.
It's hilarious to me, but might even be funnier on a Saturday night if you've had one or two..... I can't imagine.
N2pcuLOk6Wc&feature=share

Vince Lombardi
11-07-2010, 01:29 PM

Nice, my first game was on Monday Night football versus the Eagles the year we last won the Super Bowl. It's amazing, I wish I still lived there so I could go again. Someday when the stars align I will fly across the country and visit mecca once again. Have fun and go pack go!

J-Mike88
11-07-2010, 05:13 PM
M***** F**** lucky Vikings. And Bears.
They both should have lost today.

GB12
11-07-2010, 10:43 PM
I know he doesn't fit the mold at all, but I wonder how Desmond Bishop would play at OLB. If Nick Barnett didn't get hurt I would have liked to try out Bishop-Barnett-Hawk-Matthews.

PackerLegend
11-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Adam Schefter via twitter......

Packers S Nick Collins delivered the type of hit the NFL is waiting to make an example of.

Great so in other words Nick Collins is likely getting suspended and will miss the Viking game.

umphrey
11-07-2010, 11:49 PM
If a suspension wasn't coming anyways, comments like that are going to vault it into public conversation enough to make it a certainty.

Does anyone have a video link?

roughrider30
11-08-2010, 12:07 AM
If a suspension wasn't coming anyways, comments like that are going to vault it into public conversation enough to make it a certainty.

Does anyone have a video link?

Exactly my thoughts. Let's just hope it's not determined intentional and is just stuck with a fine.

BloodBrother
11-08-2010, 01:05 AM
Jason Wilde is reporting that the Packers will be releasing Al Harris tomorrow. Even has a text response from Harris saying that is what the Packers are going to do.

Wow, shocked by this. I know his injury at his age is tough to come back from, and with Shields emerging/improving with each week, Harris has basically been relegated to #4 CB status...but I'd rather he be ther #4CB than Underwood, Bush or Pat Lee(he's hurt now to). Not really liking this move but the Packers brass are the ones who saw/tracked his rehab so perhaps they just saw that he wasn't/isn't going to be the same player anymore.

I wish Al all the best, he was a great packer here for years and it sucks to see his Green Bay career end with an injury

GB12
11-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Yeah, definitely feel bad for him. For how many good seasons he gave us it sucks that it ends with him getting cut.

nrk
11-08-2010, 01:25 AM
Williams said he was fine after the helmet-to-helmet hit from Collins, then appealed to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell not to fine Collins for the hit. "Commissioner Goodell, don't fine the guy," Williams said. "It wasn't that bad of a deal, he shouldn't get fined. It was a football play, a football player making a football play. No injury, no harm."

That's cool of Roy Williams. Do players often plea for someone not to be fined like that?

BloodBrother
11-08-2010, 02:28 AM
He'll be fined, but he better not f*ckin be suspended

Yeah, definitely feel bad for him. For how many good seasons he gave us it sucks that it ends with him getting cut.

Yeah, it's stuff like this that is a constant reminder that the NFL is a business. NFL=Not For Long. Unfortunately for Al, the player who took his spot has ran with it and the defense has really been gelling the last few weeks and playing really strong

I fully expect the Vikes to pick him up since they love to add ex-packers

ToldLikeItIs
11-08-2010, 05:03 AM
Bulaga is playing at a high-level.

cvv84
11-08-2010, 06:08 AM
Jason Wilde is reporting that the Packers will be releasing Al Harris tomorrow. Even has a text response from Harris saying that is what the Packers are going to do.

Wow, shocked by this. I know his injury at his age is tough to come back from, and with Shields emerging/improving with each week, Harris has basically been relegated to #4 CB status...but I'd rather he be ther #4CB than Underwood, Bush or Pat Lee(he's hurt now to). Not really liking this move but the Packers brass are the ones who saw/tracked his rehab so perhaps they just saw that he wasn't/isn't going to be the same player anymore.

I wish Al all the best, he was a great packer here for years and it sucks to see his Green Bay career end with an injury

It was a huge injury to try to come back from to begin with. Props to Harris for rehabbing so quickly but at age 36 it was time for us to move on and move younger.

Bulaga is playing at a high-level.

He has some struggles early on but I'm glad to see him lock down a starting job for the rest of the season. Daryn Colledge has also been playing pretty well this season too. Hopefully he turned a corner and become a mainstay like Sitton and Bulaga.

drowe
11-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Sucks about Al.

TitleTown088
11-08-2010, 07:49 AM
I wish Al was coming back as much as the next guy, but what are you gonna do? You can't let any of that young talent go.

I hope his means Pat Lee is healthy.

umphrey
11-08-2010, 09:08 AM
This doesn't sound like it's going to be a clean break. I hate this move because it's Al Harris, but it does make a lot of sense from every angle besides that. I thought he was going to retire 6 months ago so this isn't a big surprise for me. But for the last 4-6 weeks it has sounded like they had every intention of playing him, so I'm not sure exactly why this is coming now. It must have to do with Woodson, Tramon, and Shields all playing pretty well. Honestly I don't know why Harris would want to come back and be the 3rd or 4th corner anyway.

J-Mike88
11-08-2010, 09:55 AM
I wish Al was coming back as much as the next guy, but what are you gonna do? You can't let any of that young talent go.

I hope his means Pat Lee is healthy.
^This^

It's amazing that really we've been pretty lucky at CB this year with no guys going out for the year onto the IR as we have at RB, TE, DL, LB, etc.

They probably expected one to go down the way it's gone, so they were ready for Harris to take that guy's place, beit a Shields or Bush or Lee or Underwood or Tramon or Woodson. But except a few minor injuries to Shields and Lee, they've (CB's) stayed durable.

I'm really not sure that Underwoods has what it takes to get good, but who knows.

I feel bad for Al though. But remember over 3 years ago he was picked apart by Plaxico Burress, and Al was old then, and never was fast. If he's lost anything in those 3 years, and anything from ripping a bunch of knee ligaments, he might be too much of a liability out there against guys like Harvin or Sidney Rice, even Bernie Berrian.

http://packersinsider.com/?p=2448
Where will Brother Al end up? Chicago, or Minny?

BloodBrother
11-08-2010, 10:57 AM
I would assume Minny. They need CB help and we all know how much they love to sign former Packer players whenever possible

umphrey
11-08-2010, 11:01 AM
well, if we have to play him, I would look at it as a matchup to exploit. Our receivers can beat the press and that's really all Al has going for him at this point, I'd imagine. He wasn't capable of covering much last year if the receiver could get a decent release.

Pack_Attack_4
11-08-2010, 11:15 AM
That really sucks about Al he was one of my fav packers for a while, Ill alway remember the pick 6 he had against seaattle prob one of my fav ppacker plays of all time.

Pack_Attack_4
11-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Nice, my first game was on Monday Night football versus the Eagles the year we last won the Super Bowl. It's amazing, I wish I still lived there so I could go again. Someday when the stars align I will fly across the country and visit mecca once again. Have fun and go pack go!

thanks man can wait to go, i live in hamilton ontario canada soo its only 4 hours from det,so det and buf r the closest places i can see a game. Havent been to Lambo yet but im thinkin ill go next year for sure.

Mr.Regular
11-08-2010, 11:31 AM
thanks man can wait to go, i live in hamilton ontario canada soo its only 4 hours from det,so det and buf r the closest places i can see a game. Havent been to Lambo yet but im thinkin ill go next year for sure.
Wow, that's crazy! I'm also living in Hamilton. Small world. Didn't know there were too many other draft nuts/ Pack fans here.

I'm originally from Sarnia (go to school at Mac) which is only an hour from Detroit, and I've been to a couple games there. It's unreal. I saw Favre's 400th TD pass, also saw Javon Walker's last game as a Packer. Be prepared to be given a hard time if you're in you're cheesehead gear, but it's easy to bash the fans right back after we win.

Mr.Regular
11-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Oh PS you have to go to Lambeau. I've been twice now. From Sarnia it's about 8 hours (assuming you're taking the ferry) so from Hamilton it'd be 10 hours give or take. Completely worth it. What I did was go for Training Camp so you can stay a couple days in Green Bay, then travel back through Chicago for some sight-seeing.
I met Rodgers his first year when he was a rookie, and got an autograph from him because I yelled out of the mob of people that I came all the way from Canada to see him.
Also caught an extra point ball after a scrimmage between 1st team offense and 1st team defense. It was especially cool because the TD was Favre to Driver.
It's a blast. If you can't get to a game there you have to go for TC.

Pack_Attack_4
11-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Wow, that's crazy! I'm also living in Hamilton. Small world. Didn't know there were too many other draft nuts/ Pack fans here.

I'm originally from Sarnia (go to school at Mac) which is only an hour from Detroit, and I've been to a couple games there. It's unreal. I saw Favre's 400th TD pass, also saw Javon Walker's last game as a Packer. Be prepared to be given a hard time if you're in you're cheesehead gear, but it's easy to bash the fans right back after we win.

wow thats crazy, where r u in the hammer? and im def gonna be reppin my cheesehead gear in det, but packer fans travill well so i expect alot of cheese heads to be there.

Mr.Regular
11-08-2010, 11:54 AM
wow thats crazy, where r u in the hammer? and im def gonna be reppin my cheesehead gear in det, but packer fans travill well so i expect alot of cheese heads to be there.
Im pretty close to Mac, off Main street west of the school. Are you a student here?

And yes there will be plenty of cheeseheads there for sure. I was thinking of going to that game, but of course I have an exam the next day. Ill try and get there anyway.

umphrey
11-08-2010, 12:12 PM
The Sam Shields kick returner experiment is back. As long as he can hold onto the ball he should be good. Hopefully he was just in over his head in preseason and more comfortable now that he's had some success and isn't fighting for a roster spot. The bye week would be the time to implement it, if we are going to try it this year.

Pack_Attack_4
11-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Im pretty close to Mac, off Main street west of the school. Are you a student here?

And yes there will be plenty of cheeseheads there for sure. I was thinking of going to that game, but of course I have an exam the next day. Ill try and get there anyway.

Thats cool no im done school jus workin now i work at st peters hospital. i got 40 yard line row 25 on the lowel level paid 165 a ticket.

Pack_Attack_4
11-08-2010, 12:36 PM
this is wht i saw durin last nighs game.

On Def
1. Clay matthews jus solidified himself as DPOY. hes a beast

2. C wood plays the run better than ne1 in the leage he was crahsin down the line of scrimmige all night long.

3. Sam shilds is playin at a high level for a Ufa, makes lettin Al go a little easier the pic he had on dez was superb

4. Bishop is makin plays all over the field, hes a fukin stud

5. only givin up 7 points in the last 2 games dom capers has the whole D playin at a championship level.

On O

1. Mr Rodgers had a fantastic night looks like the rodgers of last year

2. James jones had a nice game but seem to hav a fumble prob, hav to hold that ball high n tight.

3. running game looked the best it did all year B jack had 2 tds (i was lovin it started him in fantsy this week) love the oldschool kuhn up the middle.

4. 1st round pic bryan bulaga looks pritty pritty pritty good

5. The O didnt seem to miss DD too much

Overall one hell of a game nice to be 6-3 goin into the bye, now its jus time to get helthy.

J-Mike88
11-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Last year we had a great statistical defense, but we all know we were carved up like a pumpkin on Halloween by good QBs.

This year, with all the injuries, our statistics are more middle of the pack, both vs the run and the pass.

But like last year, stats (yardage-wise) are often deceiving.

In POINTS ALLOWED, we are #2 in the NFL (15.9 points), trailing only the Pittsburgh Steelers. The rest of the top 10 includes the Jets, Titans, Ravens, Saints, Bears (Peppers has made a difference), Rams, Chiefs, Falcons.

That's the defense (Steelers) Capers tried to emulate, and we're seeing the results, despite the Devil-Awful amount of injuries on that side of the ball.

Can you image this DL if and when they're all healthy:

BJ Raji
Ryan Pickett
Cullen Jenkins
Howard Big Green
Mike Neal
CJ Wilson

A lot of BEEF there, and that's as good as any DL in football right there. Yes I'm talking to you Giants and Vikings fans.

I don't see any room at all there for John Jolly.
The rookie Wilson keeps improving, and he's not a criminal like Jolly is. Ted won't have that.

Pack_Attack_4
11-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Last year we had a great statistical defense, but we all know we were carved up like a pumpkin on Halloween by good QBs.

This year, with all the injuries, our statistics are more middle of the pack, both vs the run and the pass.

But like last year, stats (yardage-wise) are often deceiving.

In POINTS ALLOWED, we are #2 in the NFL (15.9 points), trailing only the Pittsburgh Steelers. The rest of the top 10 includes the Jets, Titans, Ravens, Saints, Bears (Peppers has made a difference), Rams, Chiefs, Falcons.

That's the defense (Steelers) Capers tried to emulate, and we're seeing the results, despite the Devil-Awful amount of injuries on that side of the ball.

Can you image this DL if and when they're all healthy:

BJ Raji
Ryan Pickett
Cullen Jenkins
Howard Big Green
Mike Neal
CJ Wilson

A lot of BEEF there, and that's as good as any DL in football right there. Yes I'm talking to you Giants and Vikings fans.

I don't see any room at all there for John Jolly.
The rookie Wilson keeps improving, and he's not a criminal like Jolly is. Ted won't have that.

im a big jolly fan he knocks alot of balls down at the line of scrimmage, if we can get him back for cheap ill be down for that, but if he is still actin a fool ( partying and drinkin tha purple drank) i say get rid of him like u said we hav alot of beef up front when helthy but will all the injuries this year jolly could of really helped us out.

TitleTown088
11-08-2010, 12:59 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/2rpxso9.gif

haha

BloodBrother
11-08-2010, 12:59 PM
I think the improvement we have seen from Peprah, Bishop, and CJ Wilson...even Zombo, is a testament to the good coaching the Packers have on defense. I was so stoked when they brought in capers and then heard/read about all the assistants he brought in

Honestly, the only real big loss at this stage is probably Neal. Peprah has been much better v the run compared to the Burnett, and Bishop has looked better than Barnett

BloodBrother
11-08-2010, 01:00 PM

haha

I just love how Clay always looks like he got shot out of a cannon. Non-stop motor

Raji also blew that up with ease. Man, that first round makes up for the Harrell pick a few years ago. Both guys are looking studly

Pack_Attack_4
11-08-2010, 01:02 PM

haha

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR (back to back packers C wood)

umphrey
11-08-2010, 01:06 PM

haha

I was looking for that video this morning so I could convert it and post the exact same thing

TitleTown088
11-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I gotta admit, I'm a little ticked off at Mac and the training staff for playing Pickett and leading to him being re-injured. They missed a golden opportunity to let him rest his bum ankle for nearly a month.I really dislike the Packers training staff. I know injuries are a bit unlucky and what not,but way to many injuries and reoccurring injuries.

BloodBrother
11-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, from McCarthy's presser today, they aren't sure if Pickett will be ready to go after the bye.

J-Mike88
11-08-2010, 02:02 PM

haha
Notice Raji going thru 2 pathetic blocks as well.
He would have squashed Barber as well. But Witten and #70 Leonard Davis let Matthews part the sea first.

mqtirishfan
11-08-2010, 02:45 PM

haha

Why in the world would you go with an unbalanced line like that? This is the NFL, and you certainly can't expect Witten and a running back to take out Clay Matthews and AJ Hawk on the weak side like that. Stupid playcall.

roughrider30
11-08-2010, 02:47 PM

haha

That's a lot of 1st round in that backfield for the Pack

umphrey
11-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Why in the world would you go with an unbalanced line like that? This is the NFL, and you certainly can't expect Witten and a running back to take out Clay Matthews and AJ Hawk on the weak side like that. Stupid playcall.

The way they blocked it they could have called anything and it would have been utter disaster. Raji and Matthews were on different sides of the center and they still destroyed their blocks.

If you think Witten went half ass on that play, watch the left tackle, lol
The only Dallas lineman that looked like he tried at all was the center

GB12
11-08-2010, 02:55 PM
That's a lot of 1st round in that backfield for the Pack

We have a lot of first rounders starting on our defense

Nick Barnett, AJ Hawk, Clay Matthews, BJ Raji, Ryan Pickett, Charles Woodson

But then on the other side we also have a lot of undrafted starters

Trammon Williams, Cullen Jenkins, Frank Zombo, Atari Bigby

PackerLegend
11-08-2010, 03:05 PM
I liked Al but honestly we cant cut a guy for a 36 year old CB coming back from major knee surgery. He was a beast back in the day but now is just an unknown at the end of his time. Its not like we need him because the fill ins have been playing surprising well.

BloodBrother
11-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Notice Raji going thru 2 pathetic blocks as well.
He would have squashed Barber as well. But Witten and #70 Leonard Davis let Matthews part the sea first.

Yeah, it was hilarious to see Raji just plow forward and push both Dallas OLineman to the side. Didn't even look like he was trying hard. He was set up to make the play to stop Barber but Matthews just closed in first

senormysterioso
11-08-2010, 04:27 PM
I know it's early to start talking about off season stuff...but; Barnett, Hawk, Bishop. Who's the odd man out next year?

J-Mike88
11-08-2010, 05:10 PM
I know it's early to start talking about off season stuff...but; Barnett, Hawk, Bishop. Who's the odd man out next year?
Good question. I hate questions like that though, and hopefully we keep them all.
We know injuries can happen so you need good depth.

GB12
11-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Hawk's gone next year.

Barnett and Bishop are the two best ILBs on the team and Hawk is due to make $10 million next season so he'll be cut.

umphrey
11-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Have Barnett and Bishop ever been on the field together? That could make a pretty dangerous, physical duo.

Also, I'm pretty sure Bishop is a UFA next offseason. He hasn't been happy with us for putting him 3rd or 4th in line to start. Hopefully that changed this year with him starting pretty much the entire year.

BloodBrother
11-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Well, Hawk has been playing better this season. IF he agreed to a pay cut, I would like to see him back. He is solid/assignment sure. Could do a lot worse

to be honest, I'm afraid that Cullen Jenkins will be the odd man out this offseason. I fully expect them to lock Tramon up.

GB12
11-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Unless he's willing to go under $4 million I don't want to bring him back. Sign Desmond Bishop to a multi-year deal and go with him and Barnett. We still have Chillar as a good backup and coverage man. There's really no need for Hawk there.

If Cullen Jenkins is let go I will be pissed. We just gave Pickett a 4 year $25 million contract this past offseason. Pickett has played really well, but Jenkins is younger and better, it'd be stupid to chose Pickett over Jenkins.

Pack_Attack_4
11-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Nick Collins was fined $50,000 for the hit on Roy Williams.

jackalope
11-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Nick Collins was fined $50,000 for the hit on Roy Williams.

That's a big hit for Collins, but I'm relieved he's not missing the Minnesota game.

J-Mike88
11-08-2010, 07:27 PM
That's a big hit for Collins, but I'm relieved he's not missing the Minnesota game.
Me too!
Better his pocket book than us missing him.

Chillar is the one who's overpaid. I'd rather have Hawk, Bishop, and Barnett.

Pack_Attack_4
11-09-2010, 10:48 AM
ya he is over paid, everyone says hes better in pass coverage than Hawk but i remember him gettin burned for 2 tds last year against St louis. I think Hawk is a better option hes been playing alot better this year since Barnett got hurt, i wouldnt mind having them both back but Hawk is making alot of money being a top 5 pic, hoepfully he will take a pay cut next year .

Pack_Attack_4
11-09-2010, 10:52 AM
The one thing that sucks about a bye week No Packer football for 12 days :(

J-Mike88
11-09-2010, 12:57 PM
The one thing that sucks about a bye week No Packer football for 12 days :(
True.
But think of the positives in that...... no more guys going on IR for 12 days at least.

cvv84
11-09-2010, 04:07 PM
True.
But think of the positives in that...... no more guys going on IR for 12 days at least.

Well James Starks could be going on IR Wednesday :/

TitleTown088
11-09-2010, 04:15 PM

No sir, he just got activated.

Saweeet.

umphrey
11-09-2010, 04:20 PM
I wonder if we are keeping Nance and whether Starks will see the field at all

TitleTown088
11-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Hawk's gone next year.

With the way he's playing I wouldn't be so sure of that. Possible? Yes. Forgone conclusion? No.

senormysterioso
11-09-2010, 04:50 PM
You can never really count on Ted Thompson doing anything. He values youth, but he also understands the economy of spending and getting maximum value per dollar spent. That's exactly why I asked the question, it's such a tough question. Obviously he's not afraid to jettison a veteran who has served us well (ie Favre, Harris, Green) in favor of a younger guy with more potential. Also, he seems to cut guys that he's drafted more slack than guys he inherited. I hate to say it, but I'm wondering if we've seen the last of Barnett in Green Bay.

GB12
11-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Not a chance. Barnett has been playing very well and has a reasonable contract that runs through 2012.

cvv84
11-09-2010, 04:54 PM
No sir, he just got activated.

Saweeet.

Their ears must have been burning. Great news, hopefully he can contribute somehow.

J-Mike88
11-09-2010, 05:22 PM
You're right. Good chance he pulls a hammy or something before that next game comes around. :O

umphrey
11-09-2010, 05:28 PM
We need to sign or release Hawk, Bishop, Jenkins, Tramon Williams, Colledge*, Spitz*, Bigby* that I know of off the top of my head. Have to let some of them go. We might be handcuffed into signing Colledge since we don't have any other true LGs. The coaches like him and I respect him for playing almost every single game. Williams has to happen and Bishop absolutely should happen. Hawk has to go, Bigby could be either way, Jenkins we all want to stay I'm sure but it might not be an option. Spitz and Bigby would be tough to let go as well since Spitz is one of the most valuable backups in the league and Bigby might play his way back to the top of the depth chart. To make all that work, keeping Hawk isn't an option, and we might even have to let Jenkins go. HOPEFULLY we can choose between Hawk and Jenkins and I'd assume the voting here would be unanimous.

* - Pretty sure but not completely they are UFAs

J-Mike88
11-09-2010, 05:58 PM
In other news, cornerback Al Harris cleared waivers, meaning no teams claimed him. That makes him a free agent.

Where will he end up?

Minnesota
Chicago
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Other

Pack_Attack_4
11-09-2010, 08:43 PM
In other news, cornerback Al Harris cleared waivers, meaning no teams claimed him. That makes him a free agent.

Where will he end up?

Minnesota
Chicago
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Other

I say the Queens they always pick up our guys we let go.

J-Mike88
11-09-2010, 11:12 PM
I say the Queens they always pick up our guys we let go.
I think so too, which only makes me even madder those *******s stole that game Sunday against the Cardinals.
They should have been 2-6, now they're 3-5 and just 2 losses behind us, with them getting the Bears and us in the next two weeks.
They have life.... they were almost buried.

More on James Starks here including highlights and a long interview:
http://packersinsider.com/?p=2480

http://www.wtaq.com/news/articles/2010/apr/24/green-bay-packers-grab-buffalo-rb-starks-6th-round/
Bad radio guys.

TitleTown088
11-09-2010, 11:47 PM
http://gnb.scout.com/2/1020347.html

Sounds like duct tape will be back soon, that's his 2nd workout for the Packers in the past couple weeks

GB12
11-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Duct tape?

I love Havner though, hope we do sign him back.

TitleTown088
11-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Duct tape?

A little nickname that's been tossed around for him.

Duct tape,as in he can fix ( play) any problem (position) it seems. A fix-all.

GB12
11-10-2010, 12:14 AM
I don't like it.

BloodBrother
11-10-2010, 01:29 AM
If Havner is coming back, then I wonder if that means that Quarless shoulder injury is more troublesome than they thought. Wouldn't be surprising for this season, though

J-Mike88
11-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Getting Duct Tape back almost makes me happy enough to make up for losing Finley!
People forget, the 2nd Minnesota game last year, where J-Mike was out as usual (Minny only has had to face him 1 time in 2 seasons), Havner scored TWO huge touchdowns against those grape apes. He was a playmaker for us last year.

That cut before this season, IMO, was as bad as cutting Jon Ryan a few years ago. So to get Havner back makes me (would if....) very happy. Plus he's been a facebook buddy of mine for a few years :o)

And he's capable of filling in at linebacker for us, playing all special teams. Hence the Duct Tape name.

http://packerchatters.com/wp-content/uploads/SHavner_090410.jpg
http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Green+Bay+Packers+v+Jacksonville+Jaguars+4YVhx64Ku 9ml.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Spencer+Havner+Green+Bay+Packers+v+Arizona+qApGXUq 7hGtl.jpg
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Spencer+Havner+Green+Bay+Packers+v+Arizona+j_-oPz9ZcBql.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Spencer+Havner+Minnesota+Vikings+v+Green+Bay+wTpsJ wwvT3hl.jpg

Pack_Attack_4
11-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Al Harris sighned a 1 year deal with Miami, I think he lives there in the offseason i remember seeing his house on MTV cribs a couple years ago so thats good for him I wish 31 the dirty one all the best.

J-Mike88
11-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Al Harris sighned a 1 year deal with Miami, I think he lives there in the offseason i remember seeing his house on MTV cribs a couple years ago so thats good for him I wish 31 the dirty one all the best.
That is PERFECT!!!!

I have always liked Miami.
I dislike the Jets and hate New England, so I can root hard for Al there.
And we already played Miami this year. Gave them the win.
And no Vikings or Bears.

GB12
11-10-2010, 02:08 PM
I haven't seen Harris play or practice in like a year, but if he's good enough for another team to sign I have to believe he was good enough to play in Green Bay still.

He accepted the fact that Trammon was the starter and said he wanted to play in any capacity the coaches wanted to use him. If he's healthy enough for another team to pick him up he has to be good enough to be at least our 4th corner.

Sportsfan486
11-10-2010, 02:15 PM
I haven't seen Harris play or practice in like a year, but if he's good enough for another team to sign I have to believe he was good enough to play in Green Bay still.

He accepted the fact that Trammon was the starter and said he wanted to play in any capacity the coaches wanted to use him. If he's healthy enough for another team to pick him up he has to be good enough to be at least our 4th corner.

That other team saw him in a couple workouts, the Packers have seen him all along trying to recover.. you've gotta believe they saw something there that made them believe he couldn't function at a NFL level. If he turns out to play even average for the Dolphins then we really screwed up as our CBs behind Shields are atrocious.

senormysterioso
11-10-2010, 02:20 PM

Of course he was, the problem is that we need reserve corners to contribute on special teams. Do you honestly see Al Harris covering punts? 53 roster spots seems like a lot but they get filled up in a hurry.

GB12
11-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Of course he was, the problem is that we need reserve corners to contribute on special teams. Do you honestly see Al Harris covering punts? 53 roster spots seems like a lot but they get filled up in a hurry.

Not buying that as a valid reason.

Perprah, Smith, Shields, Bush, Lee/Underwood. That's 5 DBs that could be used on special teams. You don't use 5 DBs on any special teams unit. Plus we have guys like Swain and Nance who fill the same special teams roles. Hell, we also use Nick Collins on kickoffs, so add him to the list.

BloodBrother
11-10-2010, 03:45 PM
"Harris, a Florida native, practiced with Miami on Wednesday, two days after being released by the Green Bay Packers. Harris' agent, Jack Bechta, told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that Harris also drew interest from the Minnesota Vikings, Detroit Lions and Houston Texans." -NFL.com

LOL, what a surprise...

J-Mike88
11-10-2010, 04:05 PM
That other team saw him in a couple workouts, the Packers have seen him all along trying to recover.. you've gotta believe they saw something there that made them believe he couldn't function at a NFL level.....
Are you talking about punter Jon Ryan?

Let's face it, sometimes teams do make mistakes. They're human.

Most people, including NFL guys, think that Al Harris is certainly worthy of being the Packers #4, or even #3 CB.

Miami, Minny, etc.

As long as Lee or Underwood stay healthy, AND develop soon, we'll be okay there. But remember, we're overdue for an injury there compared too the rest of our defense.

TitleTown088
11-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Not buying that as a valid reason.

Perprah, Smith, Shields, Bush, Lee/Underwood. That's 5 DBs that could be used on special teams. You don't use 5 DBs on any special teams unit.
Meh. How many of those guys have return ability though? 2, and one of them is injured.

cvv84
11-10-2010, 06:18 PM
The guy is 36 and coming back from shredding his knee. We obviously didn't want to pay the $2+ million that we would have owed him if we activated him from the PUP. Could he help us? Yes. Any more so than the guys we have? I don't believe so. I like Harris and wish him well but we're betting off developing a guy like Shields and to an extent Underwood and Lee.

umphrey
11-10-2010, 06:29 PM

He would have been the 4th, maybe even 5th CB on the roster, and we didn't want to pay that kind of money to him. I'm sure he didn't really want to sit on the bench the entire game waiting for an injury to happen. His value is right around Underwood or Lee. They are poor CBs and decent to above average special teams. Harris is probably an average #3 or #4 at this point with zero special teams value. So it just doesn't make sense financially or for team future.

I like that he went to Miami but I just wish he was starting. I'm pretty sure Miami has 2 good healthy corners, Vontae Davis and Will Allen I think? Better than a rival I guess, but I would have actually enjoyed seeing him play against us.

A little nickname that's been tossed around for him.

Duct tape,as in he can fix ( play) any problem (position) it seems. A fix-all.

The first thing I thought of was "he's so hurt all the time he has to get duct taped together to play". Terrible nickname IMO (sorry). It doesn't even sound remotely catchy.

J-Mike88
11-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Duct Tape

The first thing I thought of was "he's so hurt all the time he has to get duct taped together to play". Terrible nickname IMO (sorry). It doesn't even sound remotely catchy.
Well it already was catchy, at least on some other popular websites that I guess Titletown and I have frequented. I thought it was this one, but if you don't recall it, it may have been another.

It fit Havner well. Now, is he healthy enough to sign or not?
And if so, who goes?

_____ onto IR?

J-Mike88
11-10-2010, 08:56 PM
~ Packers linebacker Clay Matthews has been named the NFC Defensive player of the week. Some notes, released by the Packers:

Matthews had four tackles, including two for a loss, a sack, two passes defensed and a 62-yard interception-return touchdown in the Packers’ 45-7 win over Dallas. Green Bay's defense held the Cowboys to just 205 total yards of offense (166 passing yards, 39 rushing yards).

Matthews leads the NFL with 10.5 sacks and is the first player in Packers history to record at least 10 sacks in each of his first two NFL seasons. The Packers lead the NFL with 28 sacks.

The touchdown marked the second of his career (the other was a recovered fumble ran back 42-yards for the TD last year at Minnesota).

This is Matthews’ third career Player of the Week Award and second this season (Week 2). He was also named the NFC Defensive Player of the Month for September. He joins Charles Woodson (four) and Reggie White (three) as the only Packers to be named NFC Defensive Player of the Week at least three times.

Also, this from Brad Briggs at the National Football Post:
November 10, 2010, 08:30 PM EST

The Green Bay Packers are staying busy during their bye week.

They used the time today to familiarize themselves with some different faces as the team had eight players in for a tryout, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

The Packers worked out running backs Brandon Minor and Jeremiah Johnson (I loved him at Oregon). They promoted rookie running back James Starks from the physically unable to perform list earlier this week.

The team also took a look at guard Adrian Battkes, offensive tackle Nick Howell, defensive tackle Mundrae Clifton, defensive end Curtis Young, tight end Joe Sawyer and wide receiver Thomas White.

Continuing to keep you guys in the loop:

Efficiency rankings of GB team and players vs all other NFL teams from Football Outsiders, revised 11/9 . FO has gained a lot of attention after predicting the collapse of the Cowboys before the season start. Kind of makes you take their analysis a lot more seriously.

Packers Offense 8th
Packers Defense 4th
Weighted DVOA (how team is playing overall now) - 5th

QB's
Rodgers - 5th

Running Backs
Jackson - 28th

TE's
J-Mike88- 3rd
Quarless - 27th

Wide Receivers
Jennings - 16th
Drivers - 35th
Nelson - 59th
Jones - 69th

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS

TitleTown088
11-10-2010, 11:25 PM

Don't say sorry to me, I didn't make it up. I do think it's somewhat catchy though.

J-Mike88
11-11-2010, 06:53 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/09000d5d81c05b38/Sound-FX-Clay-being-Clay

If you haven't seen this, you have to.
Enjoy.

Sportsfan486
11-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Well, have to feel good going into the bye at 6-3; especially with victories over the Eagles, Vikings, Jets, Cowboys.

Now comes the hard part. Our remaining schedule is..
@Vikings, @Lions, @Falcons, @Patriots
vs. 49ers, vs. Bears, vs. Giants

Four of those teams would be in the playoffs if they started today. Two are basically eliminated from contention. One is close to eliminated but a rival and came inches from beating us at home.

Falcons and Giants are the most important games as they are currently the #1 and #2 seeds in the NFC. Wins in both those games likely locks up a bye for us. Loss in one and we're in decent shape. Loss in both and we're either playing the first weekend or not at all.

My picks have us losing to the Vikings and Patriots, winning the rest. That would put us at 11-5 and likely with the #1 or #2 seed in the NFC. I can't see us losing to the 49ers and Bears at home, the Lions are a tougher out this year than years past but gotta figure we take that one, and I think we split our four toughest remaining games.

If we come out of the bye and win against the Vikings, though, we'll be 7-3 and all but a lock for at least 10-6.

What do you guys think?

Also, who do you guys have as pro bowlers for us right now? I'm going with Clay Matthews and Tramon Williams as starters, maybe Woodson as a b/u or reserve, ditto for Rodgers. Not really seeing anyone else as locks, injuries have really screwed things up.

J-Mike88
11-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Also, who do you guys have as pro bowlers for us right now? I'm going with Clay Matthews and Tramon Williams as starters, maybe Woodson as a b/u or reserve, ditto for Rodgers. Not really seeing anyone else as locks, injuries have really screwed things up.
Good stuff Sportsfan.
I just want to win our next game in Minnesota and bury their asses.

As for the Pro Bowl, Matthews is a lock, but I'd bet heavily that Tramon gets screwed and for sure doesn't start, and it's no more than 50% that he even makes the team. I bet Woodson makes it before him.

It's a popularity contest, not an accurate reflection of effectiveness on the season.

Woodson has the pop rep. Not Tramon.

DeAngelo Hall always has had that bs marquee name, and with his 4 picks against Cutler, I think that guy will make it.

GB12
11-11-2010, 04:44 PM
I think Clay Matthews, Aaron Rodgers, Charles Woodson, and Greg Jennings will make it.

Sportsfan486
11-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Good stuff Sportsfan.
I just want to win our next game in Minnesota and bury their asses.

As for the Pro Bowl, Matthews is a lock, but I'd bet heavily that Tramon gets screwed and for sure doesn't start, and it's no more than 50% that he even makes the team. I bet Woodson makes it before him.

It's a popularity contest, not an accurate reflection of effectiveness on the season.

Woodson has the pop rep. Not Tramon.

DeAngelo Hall always has had that bs marquee name, and with his 4 picks against Cutler, I think that guy will make it.

Very true about the Pro Bowl. I suppose I meant more of who DESERVES to be in it. Rodgers, Matthews, Woodson are probably locks for their names.

The Vikings game should be interesting. Capers has two weeks to dial up a killer defense to go against a struggling OLine and QB. I do wonder if the bye won't hurt our offense more than it will help, though. Sure, we get Driver back but do we lose what we've built this last week?

I'm hoping the Bears manage to knock Favre around some and hobble him even more for our game.

Some more second half questions;
With people returning to our D, how good will it become? I can't help but think with the amount of reps we've been giving out we're going to be the deepest D in the league. Can't afford an injury to Matthews or one of our starting three corners, though. Let's remember, out of 9 games this year I'd rate our defensive performance as a B or better in all but the Dolphins game and I'd give us an A+ in at least 2 of them (Jets, Cowboys.)
Can our offense take lessons away from that Cowboys game and get to being the efficient beast we expected?
Does our trend of second-half improvement continue? That would mean no more than 2 losses and a great playoff seed.
Do we stay healthy the rest of the way or do our injury woes continue?
Does Rodgers win us a game in the fourth for the first time?
Does Matthews continue his torrent pace and end up leading the league in sacks? Sacks are streaky and there are a lot of talented players very close on his heels.

cvv84
11-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Speaking of underrated like Trammon, how about Josh Sitton. He's starting to get some love from the media lately yet he's likely another guy getting the Pro Bowl snub.

If Clifton keeps playing the way he has the past few weeks too then he's another likely snub.

Right now I'd say that Matthews, Rodgers, Sitton, and Trammon are playing at a Pro Bowl level.

J-Mike88
11-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Good point from Vandermause regarding Leslie Frazier possibly taking over for Childress if the Vikings lay an egg in Chicago this week. I personally think the Vikings are much better than the Bears, so I don't expect the Bears to win.

The Packers might have a better chance of beating the Vikings if Chilly is still on the sidelines. If he gets canned, the players would play their hearts out for Leslie Frazier, the likely interim coach. Perhaps Packers fans should be rooting for the Vikings to beat the Bears on Sunday.

senormysterioso
11-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Speaking of underrated like Trammon, how about Josh Sitton. He's starting to get some love from the media lately yet he's likely another guy getting the Pro Bowl snub.

If Clifton keeps playing the way he has the past few weeks too then he's another likely snub.

Right now I'd say that Matthews, Rodgers, Sitton, and Trammon are playing at a Pro Bowl level.

Raji has been playing as well as any nose tackle I've seen so far this year, he could be in the discussion for a Pro Bowl spot.

J-Mike88
11-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Damn Ravens didn't help us out there losing the game at the end.
Atlanta goes to 7-2, dammit.

Young Matty Ice led them down the field in the final minute when they had to have it.

Their offense was sharp on the do-or-die drive, and Ryan delivered.

Rodgers needs to start doing that in close games. Needs to.

Zycho32
11-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Out of curiosity, do Guards and Tackles on the right side of the line get snubbed in the Pro Bowl, or the All-Pro lists, or both?

I wouldn't doubt Sitton gets screwed because of that factor.

J-Mike88
11-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Out of curiosity, do Guards and Tackles on the right side of the line get snubbed in the Pro Bowl, or the All-Pro lists, or both?

Sitton will get screwed because he doesn't have that "name" yet.
It takes one of three things:
-Super Bowl run spotlight
-First round marquee draft status
-Controversy, media hype, etc.

So Sitton hasn't had any of that.

Yeah usually the top 2 vote-getting OTs are LTs yep. But one will play the right side in the Pro Bowl game.

OG is less like that.

The Giants will get 2 or 3 OL in because of their team success, the Super Bowl run 2 years ago, and the East Coast media hype.

GB12
11-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Yeah, usually the tackles are left tackles, but that's pretty fair since the best tackle on the team plays on the left side 95% of the time.

The guards are almost always from the left side too, but I don't think there's any bias against right guards.

drowe
11-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Big bummer that the Ravens couldn't hold on last night. We're at the point now where we need to start watching the Giants and Falcons very closely for playoff seeding purposes. Ah well, it'll likely come down to our head to head matchup with both teams anyway.

J-Mike88
11-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Big bummer that the Ravens couldn't hold on last night. We're at the point now where we need to start watching the Giants and Falcons very closely for playoff seeding purposes. Ah well, it'll likely come down to our head to head matchup with both teams anyway.
Maybe it would taste better to knock the Giants out of the playoffs IN NEW YORK as those ******s did to us in Green Bay in 2008.

I don't like to use the word hate. But I dislike Eli Manning and NY. Beating them is 2nd best for me, behind MiniSoda.

umphrey
11-12-2010, 03:31 PM

For tackles, it's almost exclusively left tackles. I can't remember a right tackle getting in, ever, though I'm sure it has happened as like a #6 injury sub or something like that. Sitton probably should get in. He's playing as good as any guard in the NFC that I can think of. Snee from the Giants is usually pretty good and the Saints have 2 good ones that have been pretty average this year. Guards get credit goes about like this IMO:

40% what their name is
30% how good their running game is
15% how good their team is
10% how much pressure the quarterback gets
5% how good they are actually playing
+++double score if you play on the left

So yeah Sitton is pretty much screwed.

I hope we beat the Vikings and they lose another game pretty soon. I want them to go away as soon as possible.

senormysterioso
11-12-2010, 03:41 PM
For tackles, it's almost exclusively left tackles. I can't remember a right tackle getting in, ever, though I'm sure it has happened as like a #6 injury sub or something like that. Sitton probably should get in. He's playing as good as any guard in the NFC that I can think of. Snee from the Giants is usually pretty good and the Saints have 2 good ones that have been pretty average this year. Guards get credit goes about like this IMO:

40% what their name is
30% how good their running game is
15% how good their team is
10% how much pressure the quarterback gets
5% how good they are actually playing
+++double score if you play on the left

So yeah Sitton is pretty much screwed.

I hope we beat the Vikings and they lose another game pretty soon. I want them to go away as soon as possible.

You forgot to factor in their Madden rating. That's probably around 50%

BloodBrother
11-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Add another one to IR. Tauscher was placed on IR, and Havner was officially signed

Bulaga has replaced Tauscher well, but the depth continues to take a hit. That's more guys on IR than they do the practice squad.

GB12
11-12-2010, 04:54 PM
If Clifton or Bulaga go down now we're ******

cvv84
11-12-2010, 04:58 PM
If Clifton or Bulaga go down now we're ******

Newhouse played pretty well in camp and the preason at RT. Depending on where Lang is too we do have options if we lose either starting tackle.

GB12
11-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Newhouse played pretty well in camp and the preason at RT. Depending on where Lang is too we do have options if we lose either starting tackle.

I like Newhouse as a developmental player, but no way would I feel comfortable with him starting this year.

And I have to think that Tauscher already played his last game for the Packers.

umphrey
11-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Whoever said at least no one goes on IR during the bye week, go to hell for jinxing us. God help us if this means Quarless or Lee are on track for IR.

I don't have much hope for Newhouse or Lang mainly because they have been deactivated most of the year. It seems as if Lang has regressed from last year since he is seeing more time on the defensive line than anywhere else, but we'll see (or hopefully we won't see).

GB12
11-12-2010, 05:55 PM
It seems as if Lang has regressed from last year since he is seeing more time on the defensive line than anywhere else, but we'll see (or hopefully we won't see).

How is that any indication? There's been no need for him on the offensive line this year (so far), but we were so low on DL that he had to help out there. They were using Sitton on the DL in that spot earlier, but then they must have realized it they shouldn't use a starter for that.

Sportsfan486
11-12-2010, 06:59 PM
I think we've officially gotten past the "if we lose __ we're screwed" phase. How many times have we said that this year?

We can all question TTs policy of avoiding big splashes but our coaching this year has been the best in the league. I'm pretty much sold that our only crippling losses would be Rodgers or Matthews, as they are the key pieces to our offense and defense respectively.

umphrey
11-12-2010, 07:05 PM
He's been deactivated for some games earlier this year. Maybe it means nothing, maybe it means the coaches think he's the 46th or 47th best player on the team. One week I looked up we had 7 active OL, and I'm not sure what to read between the lines there.

cvv84
11-12-2010, 07:39 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Lang is coming off a wrist injury. I think this year is basically a "red shirt" year for him.

BloodBrother
11-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Al Harris
Mark Tauscher
Ryan Grant
Justin Harrell
Johnny Jolly
Brady Poppinga
Morgan Burnett
Nick Barnett
Atari Bigby
Jermichael Finley
Brad Jones
Derrick Martin
Mike Neal

All the guys on IR or who have been hurt all season, and yet the Packers are sitting at 6-3, one game back in the NFC for best record. Really gotta give credit to the coaching staff for getting all the guys on the same page, and props to Thompson for building a team that is apparently so deep that they are able to withstand this insane amount of injuries and still be competitive. Hell, they look like last year where they are seemingly getting stronger as the season goes on

I will say this....the 2 injuries that probably hurt the most are Finley/Neal. Really wish they weren't 2 of the casualties this season

J-Mike88
11-12-2010, 08:03 PM
...I will say this....the 2 injuries that probably hurt the most are Finley/Neal. Really wish they weren't 2 of the casualties this season
I love Neal, but I feel our DL has played great these past 2 weeks with no Neal. In fact, Neal really only played like 2 games right?

Finley & Grant are the ones that hurt us the most, by far, IMO.

Unreal about Tauscher. There was never a single play where he hurt his shoulder was there? Was he playing hurt against Peppers? I think he was, which sucks.

Sportsfan486
11-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Al Harris

All the guys on IR or who have been hurt all season, and yet the Packers are sitting at 6-3, one game back in the NFC for best record. Really gotta give credit to the coaching staff for getting all the guys on the same page, and props to Thompson for building a team that is apparently so deep that they are able to withstand this insane amount of injuries and still be competitive. Hell, they look like last year where they are seemingly getting stronger as the season goes on

I will say this....the 2 injuries that probably hurt the most are Finley/Neal. Really wish they weren't 2 of the casualties this season

Finley, sure, but Neal? Really? He'd be very near the bottom of my list of most disastrous. In order from worst to least radical I'd go..

Finley
Grant
Jolly
Jones
Barnett
Burnett
Tauscher
Poppinga
Neal
Bigby
Martin
Harrell
Harris

BloodBrother
11-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Neal was very disruptive his first 2 games and the games are won in the trenches. I think he would have made this already good pass rush even better

Jolly is a guy they miss to for sure. He was really emerging as a premiere 3-4 DE. I hope they bring him back but with the off field issue he had I don't know if the Pack will want him back

Sportsfan486
11-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Neal was very disruptive his first 2 games and the games are won in the trenches. I think he would have made this already good pass rush even better

Jolly is a guy they miss to for sure. He was really emerging as a premiere 3-4 DE. I hope they bring him back but with the off field issue he had I don't know if the Pack will want him back

I suppose. I just feel like Neal was a bit of an unknown commodity and it's hard to figure he was more crucial then established players for our team and system. That said, wow, writing that list really put a whole new perspective on just how bad our injury problems have been.. and it doesn't even account for all that normal, nagging injuries we've got going on. Unreal.

GB12
11-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Grant should be at the top at it's not even close.

TitleTown088
11-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Grant should be at the top at it's not even close.

I gotta somewhat disagree, the loss of Finley was every bit as tough as Grant.Jackson has played pretty well, what TE has stepped up with Finley out?

GB12
11-13-2010, 04:34 PM
I gotta somewhat disagree, the loss of Finley was every bit as tough as Grant.Jackson has played pretty well, what TE has stepped up with Finley out?
Not a tight end, but Greg Jennings has stepped up big time since Finley's been out. There's a bigger difference in our running game without Grant than our passing game without Finley.

J-Mike88
11-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Right, there's no way Mike Neal is above either of those guys. I love Mike, but our 1000-pound DL is fine without him. Anyone see the last 2 games on defense for us?

But Finley is as lethal of a TE in the NFL, Antonio Gates included. You can't replace a guy like that, and we haven't.

But once again, Ryan Grant keeps getting disrespected. He was so underrated for us, under-appreciated by much of Packers nation, because he wasn't a big name, or electrifying like a Chris Johnson. Hell, even heading into last season, there were Packers fans who wanted a guy like Steve Slaton instead.

That guy's gone AWOL.

Even a so-called gamebreaker like Felix Jones hasn't done anything in his career, and Grant has broken deep ones as much as Felix.

Grant is sorely missed, and I just hope that foot/ankle is something that heals 100%.

Sportsfan486
11-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Not a tight end, but Greg Jennings has stepped up big time since Finley's been out. There's a bigger difference in our running game without Grant than our passing game without Finley.

I'm not sure I'd necessarily agree here. Our passing game has really taken a few steps back without Finley. You need to remember he was consistently drawing double teams and still making catches.

I think it's more = with those two. Grant going down we probably lost 20-35 rushing yards per game, Finley going down we probably like 30-40 passing which ends up pretty equal when you skew the numbers. Both losses drastically changed our offense. None of the other losses changed the entire way we played football on that side of the ball.

Kind of a moot point.

Second half area that needs most improvement is turnovers, imo. Jones scares me everytime he has the ball, Shields scares me catching things, and Rodgers is a bit high on INTs. Second would be 3rd downs, of which we've been absolutely horrendous this year.

umphrey
11-13-2010, 06:59 PM
The problem with Finley was that for the first couple games Rodgers would throw it his way pretty much every play no matter what. It led to some interceptions and incompletions. Jennings and the other receivers even spoke out and said they weren't happy about it. There's no doubt our offense would be on another level if Finley was healthy, but there was a little shred of positive that came out of it.

TitleTown088
11-13-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm not sure I'd necessarily agree here. Our passing game has really taken a few steps back without Finley. You need to remember he was consistently drawing double teams and still making catches.

I think it's more = with those two. Grant going down we probably lost 20-35 rushing yards per game, Finley going down we probably like 30-40 passing which ends up pretty equal when you skew the numbers. Both losses drastically changed our offense. None of the other losses changed the entire way we played football on that side of the ball.

I concur. Well said.

GB12
11-13-2010, 07:20 PM
The problem with Finley was that for the first couple games Rodgers would throw it his way pretty much every play no matter what. It led to some interceptions and incompletions. Jennings and the other receivers even spoke out and said they weren't happy about it. There's no doubt our offense would be on another level if Finley was healthy, but there was a little shred of positive that came out of it.

Exactly. I actually wrote something very similar to that, but then erased it. Our offense was running through Finley too much when he was healthy. Would have been nice to figure it out without him getting hurt though.

umphrey
11-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Exactly. I actually wrote something very similar to that, but then erased it. Our offense was running through Finley too much when he was healthy. Would have been nice to figure it out without him getting hurt though.

ha I do that all the time. That's something I've been meaning to get off my chest lately. I'd say like 50% of the posts I write, I read them and don't completely agree with what I wrote, or decide it's somewhat spiteful and won't do anyone good to read it, or decide it's something everyone knows and has said before anyway...and just erase it.

Sorry for the total tangent but I always wondered if other people do the same thing. I hope so.

Sportsfan486
11-13-2010, 09:04 PM
ha I do that all the time. That's something I've been meaning to get off my chest lately. I'd say like 50% of the posts I write, I read them and don't completely agree with what I wrote, or decide it's somewhat spiteful and won't do anyone good to read it, or decide it's something everyone knows and has said before anyway...and just erase it.

Sorry for the total tangent but I always wondered if other people do the same thing. I hope so.

I do that all the time.. except I stop, read it, decide I sound like a dick and then hit "submit reply." :p

As for going through Finley, well, Rodgers was struggling and Finley was his big body with reliable hands. I simply can't get anywhere close to agreeing our offense, which has been downright awful on 3rd downs, wouldn't be lightyears better with big ol' Finley to catch on those downs.

cvv84
11-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Losing Grant was by far our biggest hit. You can survive losing Finley, its alot harder finding a guy who gets you 1200 yards on the ground and keeps the opposing defenses honest.

Bingo. Finley is a great matchup weapon but we did focus on him too much. I'm glad to see Jennings taking off lately, considering the money that we paid him, but it sucks that it came at the expense of losing Finley. We need to get both guys involved more evenly in the future.

Sportsfan486
11-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Something I've been wanting to bring up for a while.. is anyone else as excited as I am about the overall nucleus of this team? When you really break it down.. you're looking at five good years with the majority of the players we have now. Assuming three of five drafts go in our favor, we're talking long-term success for this team.

Rodgers, Grant, Finley, Jennings, Jones, Sitton, Bulaga are the standouts on offense who are all relatively young (Grant having the least life remaining but, let's face it, RBs can be found.)
Raji, Neal, Jenkins, Matthews, Williams, Shields, Collins, and all the rest of our safeties and LBers being the standouts on D who are all relatively young.

Considering we've been arguably the best drafting team of the last 4 years, this really bodes well for our future. You look at the other teams in our division who have major age concerns and/or overall talent concerns at various positions, and we're really in good shape. There's no reason to believe that with a bit of luck we can't get to a success level like we were at in the mid to late 90s.

Sportsfan486
11-14-2010, 12:40 AM
Also, can we please.. PLEASE.. for the love of all that is holy.. draft Casey Matthews? 'twould.. be... AMAZING.

RockJock07
11-14-2010, 01:52 AM
If you haven't read this yet please do, it's a fantastic interview with Aaron about alot of different things, it's a 2 part interview.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/107293243.html

Then.....

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/107300868.html

I'm so glad to have Aaron as the QB of the Packers, seems to have his head in the right place off the field.

J-Mike88
11-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Yeah Lori Nickel got some good stuff there from Aaron.
He's a good guy, good person, good family.

I still remember having to defend him 3, 4 years ago against all the Farve-worshipers who tried to say that Rodgers was ***. Then when he took over, that he wasn't fragile......

He's answered every critic except pulling out games late like Matt Ryan has.
And except for winning a playoff game.
Those 2 will get checked off too, hopefully soon.

drowe
11-14-2010, 11:32 AM
lame ass bye week. don't even care that the bears and queens are playing eachother because it means one of 'em have to win. doesn't help that out of the other teams that the packers will be fighting for playoff position with, the falcons already played, the saints are on a bye and the giants are....pretty much on a bye.

thank god for fantasy football.

J-Mike88
11-14-2010, 11:48 AM
GO BEARS
http://beargoggleson.com/files/2010/04/favre-sacked.jpg

GB12
11-14-2010, 12:13 PM
If the Bears win they'll take the division lead. As badly as I want Favre and the Vikings to suffer, it's more important to me that the Packers win the division. And while a Bears win here certainly wouldn't stop that, I'd like to win it as easily as possible.

umphrey
11-14-2010, 01:35 PM
It's probably better for us if the Vikings win, but I want the Vikings to lose another game so they go away and die. It's really a hard game to get interested in though so I'm just drinking a bunch of beer killing time for the later games.

I'd like it if it was like that Bears Redskins games where both teams were just awful and probably turned the ball over 10+ times combined and Cutler got sacked about 8 times.

BloodBrother
11-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Want the bears to win. MAke it a 2 team race rather than 3. Eliminate one threat. Bears schedule is tough at the end to

cvv84
11-14-2010, 03:25 PM
So, thoughts on our 2010 draft class so far?

Bulaga - Pretty much helped to stabilize the offensive line along with the improved play of Clifton and Colledge. I still believe that Dez Bryant is going to be a damn good WR but Bulaga was and is the right pick for us.

Neal - Very impressive in his limited action this season. If Jolly returns next season and Jenkins is retained we should have a ton of depth and talent on the defensive line.

Burnett - Still too early too tell but the results were positive on him. Next year could a battle at strong safety depending on what happens with Peprah, Bigby, and/or Woodson changing positions.

Quarless - Talented kid but it looks like his catching needs work. Too many missed opportunites and a real failure to establish himself when players ahead of him went down. Reguardless he looks like a descent future #2 TE.

Newhouse - Too early too tell. Future seems to be at OT.

Starks - Time will tell.

Wilson - Kind of suprised me with his ability to hold up in the 3-4. I figured him to be a pass rushing specialist in certain packages.

Shields - Seems to be really growing into the position. He looks like he's gaining confidence and he hasn't been that huge liability that you'd expect to see from an undrafted free agent learning the position and starting at nickleback. Potential keeper.

Just thinking about some guys we passed on too like Charles Brown, Sergio Kindle, and Selvish Capers, we really haven't missed out on much and the guys we did draft look to have a future in the green and gold.

J-Mike88
11-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Want the bears to win. MAke it a 2 team race rather than 3. Eliminate one threat. Bears schedule is tough at the end to
Bingo.
The Bears are not a threat to us in my opinion. I'd love to face them in the playoffs. They're not that good.

The Vikings are dead and they will implode this week. Harvin might not even play.

But the Bears are lucky in that they now get the Dolphins who just had both their #1 & #2 QB's hurt today. How convenient for them.

But they have the Eagles, Patriots, at Vikings, Jets, and at Packers. If they can navigate thru that and beat us, they deserve it.

I don't think they can do it.

BloodBrother
11-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Agreed. Didn't want Minny to have any life, so Chicago beating them all but eliminates them. They have to probably win out to have a chance, and I don't see it happening

As far as the Bears go, their D/ST is of course what is keeping them in games, but I still don't think they are really that good. I'll be surprised if they win more than 2-3 games the rest of the way.

bearsfan_51
11-14-2010, 04:15 PM
The Bears are not a threat to us in my opinion. I'd love to face them in the playoffs. They're not that good.
Obviously, that's why you beat us.

Anyway, it doesn't matter because there won't be a wild card coming out of the North. The Falcons/Saints have one locked down, and it seems more than likely that the other will come out of the East. The Division will likely be settled in Lambeau, which portends good things for the Packers, but they've always had trouble beating Lovie's Bears.

BloodBrother
11-14-2010, 04:37 PM
how often did the packers extend drives for chicago, or negate INT's they got on cutler due to penalty? And how many times did they ruin their own drives via penalty. That was a horribly played game by GB, and is still took chicago a last second FG to win it. That was one of the worst games I've ever seen

I do give chicago credit though, I didn't expect them to be in it at this point. We'll see how things end up, but I want to see how they do vs those quality opponents down the stretch. Their OL will be the death of them IMO

bearsfan_51
11-14-2010, 05:49 PM
how often did the packers extend drives for chicago, or negate INT's they got on cutler due to penalty? And how many times did they ruin their own drives via penalty. That was a horribly played game by GB, and is still took chicago a last second FG to win it. That was one of the worst games I've ever seen
Oh that's right, I forgot the rule in the NFL where a loss doesn't count if you play bad.

Sportsfan486
11-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Oh that's right, I forgot the rule in the NFL where a loss doesn't count if you play bad.

The Packers have improved drastically since that game and, look, you guys got the W. Obviously. But it was our worst played game of the year and we always struggle at Soldier Field. And are you really going to suggest that, based on that game, we won't win at home? Games as close as that usually come down to who's at home. Your offensive weaknesses are our defensive strengths (pressure and turnovers.) Granted, our poor special teams and your vastly superior special teams has a chance to keep you in the game and your defense is always tough against us.

Vikings will be coming into our game with very possibly Tavaris starting, no Harvin, no Rice, and an interim coach. We need to come at them hard from the get go and erase any splinter of hope they have for the season so they just roll over.

I think the Bears are a decent team, very good defensively and spectacular on special teams.. but that offense is atrocious and that schedule is brutal.

With the Falcons and Saints both likely to hit 10 wins and probably the Giants and Eagles as well, it's going to be tough for the Bears and Packers both to make it. The Bears are also behind in the Conference record race with 3 losses all in the NFC and 3 tough NFC games to go. Likely need to beat the Packers week 17 and win the division to make it. Not impossible to think either the Giants or Eagles fade and 9 or 10 wins gets a wildcard without a tiebreaker, though.

*edit* Also, not sure how many of you saw Walter's TD catch for the Texans that basically was less of a catch than Calvin Johnson's earlier this year, they called incomplete, reviewed, and called complete. Same ref, too, I believe. So basically if the Bears played the same game against the Lions today.. they would have gotten a L. Nice consistency, NFL.

Hawk
11-14-2010, 06:06 PM
I saw Al Harris in action today for Miami, makes me wonder why we cut him. As much as I like Shields, I'd rather have Harris back there if he could play.

Sportsfan486
11-14-2010, 06:14 PM
I saw Al Harris in action today for Miami, makes me wonder why we cut him. As much as I like Shields, I'd rather have Harris back there if he could play.

Was he starting? How'd he play? Didn't catch any of that game.

bearsfan_51
11-14-2010, 06:36 PM
The Packers have improved drastically since that game and, look, you guys got the W. Obviously. But it was our worst played game of the year and we always struggle at Soldier Field. And are you really going to suggest that, based on that game, we won't win at home?
No, I'm going to suggest that it's rather arrogant to make the comment that a team that already beat you and has the same record as you isn't a threat.

It's cool though, you guys gave me rep. I love me some rep.

Sportsfan486
11-14-2010, 07:05 PM
No, I'm going to suggest that it's rather arrogant to make the comment that a team that already beat you and has the same record as you isn't a threat.

It's cool though, you guys gave me rep. I love me some rep.

Look, you root for the Bears so I don't expect you to know how to read. That's fine.

From the same post you quoted. "Granted, our poor special teams and your vastly superior special teams has a chance to keep you in the game and your defense is always tough against us."

and

"I think the Bears are a decent team, very good defensively and spectacular on special teams"

But in the end you have Jay "What color jersey does my team wear?" Cutler.

BloodBrother
11-14-2010, 07:17 PM

nice exaggeration. Simply put, I didnt' come away impressed by the bears. Worst game the Packers played in I don't know how long, and the Bears couldn't put the packers away at any point. The Bears special teams is still insanely good, and I like how their front 7 has played.

I hope the last meeting is meaningful

bearsfan_51
11-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Look, you root for the Bears so I don't expect you to know how to read. That's fine.

From the same post you quoted. "Granted, our poor special teams and your vastly superior special teams has a chance to keep you in the game and your defense is always tough against us."

and

"I think the Bears are a decent team, very good defensively and spectacular on special teams"

But in the end you have Jay "What color jersey does my team wear?" Cutler.
Order of posts:

1)jmike08888888
2)the guy with the guy with green teeth in his sig
3) BF51, the annointed one
4) You

See, even though I quoted you, I was addressing comments made before my ORIGINAL post, which is the one to which you responded.

bearsfan_51
11-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Simply put, I didnt' come away impressed by the bears. Worst game the Packers played in I don't know how long, and the Bears couldn't put the packers away at any point.
Well, see, here's that sticking point again. Because they DID put them away. It was at the end, and, while I understand that you seem to have a bit of a penchant for style points, that's really all that matters.

J-Mike88
11-14-2010, 08:37 PM
There are no style points in football.

But it took:
3 terrible calls be the zebras (one negated a TD to Finley. two negated last drive interceptions by the Packers), and a gift fumble along the sideline by James Jones for the Bears to barely win that game.

Now, we are worse now on offense with no Jermichael Finley, admitted. And we've had about 6 more guys go on IR since that game besides J-Mike, so the Bears gotta like that.

And anyone can beat anyone these days in the NFL. We were the better team that Monday night in Chicago, and still got the loss. So anything can happen next time as well. But I wouldn't trade rosters, or coaches, with that club.

BloodBrother
11-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Yup, and I'd bet on the better talent to prevail in the long run

roughrider30
11-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Does anyone know the details of Capers contract? I can't find it online, and Thule is trying to tell me he will be the D coordinator for Dallas next year.

Thoughts?

GB12
11-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Honestly I have no idea about his contract, but I don't see any reason why he'd leave with the defense he's built here other than if he wanted to be a head coach again. And besides, he turned down a Dallas job just a couple of years ago.

roughrider30
11-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Honestly I have no idea about his contract, but I don't see any reason why he'd leave with the defense he's built here other than if he wanted to be a head coach again. And besides, he turned down a Dallas job just a couple of years ago.

Agreed, I mean he is 2 years into installing this system and already had very good success with it. I don't see why he would leave for a new project quite yet. Even though obviously it wouldn't be nearly as big of a project as coming here was.

According to Thule, he turned down the job because of not wanting to step on Stewart's toes in Dallas, not because he didn't want the job. Around the same time he took the advisor position with New England.

Zycho32
11-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Very nice. Last time the Packers and Bears had a race for the Division Title this deep into the season was what, '95? When both teams looked good and had realistic shots?

The rivalry gaining League-Wide relevance again gives these circumstances a beautiful silver lining. Not that I wouldn't have sneered at both Chicago and Minnesota cutting each other's throats for the rest of the season, mind you.

GB12
11-14-2010, 10:29 PM
2001. The Jim Miller year.

Sportsfan486
11-14-2010, 11:56 PM

This. Why would he leave a job coaching one of the top 5 defenses in the NFL loaded with young talent to coach a bottom 5 defense? If he wants a head coaching job his best bet is to stick with the Packers, as our players are making him look ******* brilliant this year.

cvv84
11-15-2010, 06:27 AM
I don't know the terms or length of his contract but I'd assume it to be a 3 year deal. As for Dallas, he turned down their offer of being a team consultant so he wasn't even being considered for a coordinators job there.

drowe
11-15-2010, 06:52 AM
Nice of the Cowboys to lay down and die for us and then beat the Giants.

well, the second act starts now. Here's what I think:

-6-3 and the playoff seem pretty likely.

-We're not going to finish 13-3. We will lose games. Plural. It's a brutal stretch against, not only playoff teams, but teams that may not play in the first round. Also, I fully expect us to beat a good team like Atlanta or New England, but lose to Minnesota or San Fran.

-Speaking of Minnesota...ugh. Those assholes again...already? Not sure how I feel about this week's game. Kinda hoping Brent gets the start. The Vikings are a talented team and we saw what happened when the Cowboys made some changes. I could see the whole team playing hard for T-Jax. Don't want that.

-The Bears....I know there's some debate going on right now, and it's dumb on both sides. Yes, the Bears beat us...but, it's not unrealistic to to think they'll implode when they're schedule gets tough. This will be settled on the field, with the winner of the head to head matchup at Lambeau having the edge in the division. Honestly, the Bears finishing 8-8 would not surprise me...and the Packers laying another egg when we play again would not surprise me.

-Playoff position--All the cool kids are 6-3. I should wait until the Monday night game, but, even now, it's a clusterfuck. Giants, Eagles, Bears, Packers, Falcons, Saints, Bucs. 2 of those teams will be left out. 2 of those teams will get first round byes. It's gonna be fun. Every game involving one of those teams will be meaningful from this point on. And the Packers get to play 3 of 'em head to head.

And the fun starts in 3 days...GO DOLPHINS.

bearsfan_51
11-15-2010, 07:06 AM
-The Bears....I know there's some debate going on right now, and it's dumb on both sides. Yes, the Bears beat us...but, it's not unrealistic to to think they'll implode when they're schedule gets tough. This will be settled on the field, with the winner of the head to head matchup at Lambeau having the edge in the division. Honestly, the Bears finishing 8-8 would not surprise me...and the Packers laying another egg when we play again would not surprise me.
You're creating a false dichotomy. You'd be hard pressed to find a Bears fan, at least on this board, that even thinks our team is good. Let alone world beaters.