PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84

umphrey
11-15-2010, 09:52 AM
I've been impressed by Cutler, enough though he is really up and down. And it's a fact that the Bears can defend the run. That said, as long as Aaron Rodgers has a solid game and our special teams don't **** the bed we will win. I don't like the matchup between their receivers and our secondary though. Our secondary is better, no question, but the players don't match up well IMO. Last time we played them they had some big cushions. Also if the Bears contain Clay Matthews like they did the first time we played them we might be in trouble. Then again, even though they stopped CM3 their offense only scored about 6 points, so if we play good special teams for 4 quarters we might be able to shut down the offense regardless of what Clay does.

J-Mike88
11-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Anyone here watch the Dolphins game?
How did Al Harris look, and how much did he play?

I'm gonna check the Dolphins thread too, but some here probably watched them beat the Titans.

Now Al gets a crack at Jay Cutler Thursday night in Miami. Go Fish!

J-Mike88
11-15-2010, 10:48 AM
I will say this....the 2 injuries that probably hurt the most are Finley/Neal. Really wish they weren't 2 of the casualties this season
The infamous Cliff Christl weighs-in on the Packers injury situation, and says only one of them is costly, and I think we all agree about this guy's importance:

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101114/PKR07/101114036/Cliff-Christl-column-Of-all-the-injuries-only-Finley-s-hurts

drowe
11-15-2010, 11:32 AM
You're creating a false dichotomy. You'd be hard pressed to find a Bears fan, at least on this board, that even thinks our team is good. Let alone world beaters.

So, just to review:

ya took issue with somebody stating that the Bears aren't good.

now, ya take issue with me implying that the Bears may be good.

I'm starting to get the impression that you just like to argue. :)

if that's the case, head over to the Viking forum. They're more fun and they get worked up over stuff like this. It's kinda cute. They think they have a real football team.

J-Mike88
11-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Favre to see Dr Andrews about shoulder pain:
http://packersinsider.com/2010/11/brett-favre-to-contact-dr-james-andrews/

Forget the calendar. Vikings season is already over:
http://packersinsider.com/2010/11/tom-powers-forget-the-calendar-this-vikings-season-is-over/

Desmond Bishop showing his supporters he was ready all along: http://packersinsider.com/2010/11/green-bay-packers-linebacker-bishop-finally-gets-chance/

Remember when his detractors said in August and September that he was only a pre-season player? LOL.

JAMES STARKS:
I wonder if he will be active Sunday? Probably not. I wouldn't play him there for his first action in 2 years.

roughrider30
11-15-2010, 01:29 PM
McCarthy said it would be difficult for Atari Bigby to win back his starting job at strong safety as long as Charlie Peprah continued to perform at a high level: "I would agree with that," the coach said. "Charlie has played his best football he's played as a Green Bay Packer. He's done an excellent job. He's played very well for us."

Pretty interesting. I definitely agree, Peprah has done an excellent job filling in and I don't see any reason to change that up just yet.

thule
11-15-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't know the terms or length of his contract but I'd assume it to be a 3 year deal. As for Dallas, he turned down their offer of being a team consultant so he wasn't even being considered for a coordinators job there.

Pretty biased assumption...you have any basis for this or just "throwing it out there"?

Just to backup what has happened in the past.
If you know anything about Dom Capers, you can’t be surprised that he turned down the Cowboys’ offer to be a defensive consultant.

Capers, according to those who know him best, believes loyalty is one of the most important traits a man can have. So when defensive coordinator Brian Stewart said he wouldn’t feel comfortable with Capers on the staff, the veteran coach obliged.

Now, it helps that he’s still being paid by Miami this season since the Dolphins fired him. But it also speaks to his character, especially since he’s close to Jason Garrett , who wanted him to be his defensive coordinator in Baltimore or Atlanta.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/jtaylor/stories/021308dnspoinsidevalleyranch.b7b230d0.html

The name that immediately came to mind for most Cowboys fans was that of Dom Capers. Everybody knows that we tried to hire him last year as a defensive consultant until the idea was nixed by Brian Stewart who wouldn't have felt comfortable having his old boss looking over his shoulder
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2009/1/18/727234/what-s-next-for-the-cowboy

All that i've being said...his contract appears to be undisclosed. However I have been able to dig up that he "supposedly" took a discount to work in GB his first year since he was still owed money by Miami in 2009. Then he was scheduled to make around 2 million this year. That is all I can dig up...so if anyone else can dig any deeper in the GB archives it'd be interesting to see.

J-Mike88
11-15-2010, 02:04 PM
And then there were 2: Packers & Bears http://packersinsider.com/?p=2558

As for Dandy Dom Capers, that's down the road.
I'm more worried about Donald Driver's health & return.
Ryan Pickett.... Spencer Havner or Andrew Quarless.

Havner was a Viking-killer last year. Can he possibly be ready to play this week? He knows the short yardage offense well, or DID.

GB12
11-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Pretty biased assumption...you have any basis for this or just "throwing it out there"?

It's pretty biased that you think a guy who's put together a very good young defense on a contending team is going to jump ship just because you're the Cowboys.

bearsfan_51
11-15-2010, 03:02 PM
So, just to review:

ya took issue with somebody stating that the Bears aren't good.

now, ya take issue with me implying that the Bears may be good.

I'm starting to get the impression that you just like to argue. :)

if that's the case, head over to the Viking forum. They're more fun and they get worked up over stuff like this. It's kinda cute. They think they have a real football team.
Oh you kids get plenty worked up too.

But no, I didn't get worked up because anyone said the Bears aren't good. I got worked up because of the assumption that the Packers are so much better. Despite the fact that:

1) We beat you.
2) We have the same record.

This isn't week 3 anymore. You are what your record is.

GB12
11-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Oh you kids get plenty worked up too.

But no, I didn't get worked up because anyone said the Bears aren't good. I got worked up because of the assumption that the Packers are so much better. Despite the fact that:

1) We beat you.
2) We have the same record.

This isn't week 3 anymore. You are what your record is.
6-3 is a good record. So...you are saying the Bears are good then?

See, the problem is you keep contradicting yourself and you aren't making a whole lot of sense. That leads me to believe that you were in fact arguing just to argue.

thule
11-15-2010, 03:15 PM
It's pretty biased that you think a guy who's put together a very good young defense on a contending team is going to jump ship just because you're the Cowboys.

Where did i say that I thought he was going to jump ship? I just came to people who were move informed than i am about the Green Bay packers and their coaching staff....since google failed me at getting contract details I came here.....

BloodBrother
11-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Pretty interesting. I definitely agree, Peprah has done an excellent job filling in and I don't see any reason to change that up just yet.

Not to mention that Bigby was never really that great. He was good vs the run but was a liability in pass coverage. Peprah has really been playing well and has gotten better seemingly each game. Don't mess with continuity. The defense as a whole is gelling and guys are playing great. Don't try to fix what ain't broke

umphrey
11-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm really curious to see what the deal is with James Starks. For a 6th round pick to stick with the team and off IR despite not playing in 9 games, no chance he's ready until maybe week 12 or 13 at the earliest, not to mention he had an entire year off football his last season at college too. It's a total shocker he's still part of the organization and I'm eager to find out why that is.

BloodBrother
11-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Yeah, don't expect much from Starks on offense for a few weeks. Read that they will want to ease him into things by having him out there on Special teams, just to get used to the speed of the game and get used to hitting/taking hits

cvv84
11-15-2010, 04:17 PM

Todd Archer, of The Dallas Morning News, reports former Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Dom Capers will not accept a position with the Dallas Cowboys as a team consultant.

Biased about what? You make no sense.

I'm really curious to see what the deal is with James Starks. For a 6th round pick to stick with the team and off IR despite not playing in 9 games, no chance he's ready until maybe week 12 or 13 at the earliest, not to mention he had an entire year off football his last season at college too. It's a total shocker he's still part of the organization and I'm eager to find out why that is.

Yeah exactally. This is one lingering "hamstring" injury...

Sportsfan486
11-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Just want to note, any notion of Capers jumping ship to coach anywhere else as a coordinator is absurd.

It's been shown loyalty is extremely important to him and he's got a fantastic young defense that buys into everything he says and plays their asses off for him. No matter how much he might like Garrett or whomever, it's ridiculous to think he'd leave for an = job for a team with = or lesser talent (and please, for the love of everything holy, don't try to convince anyone that the Cowboys have more defensive talent than the Packers.)

Could he leave to be a head coach somewhere? Absolutely. He's proven to be, arguably, the best defensive mind in the NFL this year.. taking second, third, and off-the-street stringers and shaping a top 5 defense (1st in PPG, 1st in sacks, T-5th in takeaways.)

thule
11-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I just want contract details if any packers fans can find them from me it would help with some cowboys research I'm doing.

bearsfan_51
11-15-2010, 05:00 PM
6-3 is a good record. So...you are saying the Bears are good then?

See, the problem is you keep contradicting yourself and you aren't making a whole lot of sense. That leads me to believe that you were in fact arguing just to argue.
I think the Bears will finish 9-7. I think the Packers will finish 10-6. I think the division will be settled in Lambeau. I'd put the odds at the Packers winning that game somewhere around 60-65%.

That doesn't necessarily mean I think the Bears are good. 9-7 is ok. It means I think the Packers are clearly a very beatable team whose fanbase really has no place running down anyone else, particularly a team that already beat them.

Sportsfan486
11-15-2010, 05:12 PM
I just want contract details if any packers fans can find them from me it would help with some cowboys research I'm doing.

His contract details are not public knowledge. No one outside the organization knows. Sorry.

Sportsfan486
11-15-2010, 05:14 PM
I think the Bears will finish 9-7. I think the Packers will finish 10-6. I think the division will be settled in Lambeau. I'd put the odds at the Packers winning that game somewhere around 60-65%.

That doesn't necessarily mean I think the Bears are good. 9-7 is ok. It means I think the Packers are clearly a very beatable team whose fanbase really has no place running down anyone else, particularly a team that already beat them.

Every team is very beatable. It's why they play games.

Every fanbase "runs down" other teams. It's called being a fan. (Unless you're a fan of the Lions.. then you just pray to luck out and win once a year.)

TitleTown088
11-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Drowe/BF51 confrontation. This is old school!

drowe
11-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Drowe/BF51 confrontation. This is old school!

hardly. 51 is good people. i was giving him crap.

but, professor 51 should know that if he doesn't like hearing people hype up their own team and beat down division rivals, that team's forums MIGHT not be the best place for him. :)

but, great to have him. in a perfect world, we'd be able to have spirited debate with a division rival fan.

jackalope
11-15-2010, 06:08 PM
While I hate the Vikings far more than Chicago right now, we'd definitely have been better off with a Minnesota win. We could still have stomped the life out of the Vikings next week. Chicago is a much bigger threat to us for the division. The playoffs are really going to come down to head-to-head matchups for us. We beat Chicago, we'll have the division. We beat either Atlanta or New York, we may be looking at a first round bye. We beat both teams, we should clinch the #1 seed.

drowe
11-15-2010, 06:28 PM
yeah. we really do control our destiny since we have a chance to beat every team we'd be fighting for seeding with. gonna be a fun end of the season.

J-Mike88
11-15-2010, 06:37 PM
His contract details are not public knowledge. No one outside the organization knows. Sorry.
Right, and coaches payrolls are pretty insignificant right? I mean there's no salary cap for them or anything.

But we did know that Jason Garrett was getting paid more as a coordinator than many head coaches. That because the Ravens and another team tried to hire him away in 2008, but Jerry paid the piper to keep him on deck for Ole Wade.

bearsfan_51
11-15-2010, 06:53 PM

but, professor 51 should know that if he doesn't like hearing people hype up their own team and beat down division rivals, that team's forums MIGHT not be the best place for him. :)

but, great to have him. in a perfect world, we'd be able to have spirited debate with a division rival fan.
I just wish Minnesota wasn't such a walking pile of monkey crap so we could talk college football.....

Sportsfan486
11-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Right, and coaches payrolls are pretty insignificant right? I mean there's no salary cap for them or anything.

But we did know that Jason Garrett was getting paid more as a coordinator than many head coaches. That because the Ravens and another team tried to hire him away in 2008, but Jerry paid the piper to keep him on deck for Ole Wade.

About five years ago $1 mil salary was the highest paid coordinator. So I'd imagine that's right about what Capers makes, since it's surely inflated a bit since then and Capers should be somewhere close to the top but not at it.

TitleTown088
11-15-2010, 07:05 PM

Didn't mean to imply he wasn't. You two are just hardly ever around anymore.

I even miss BF51 pwning noob packer fans.

J-Mike88
11-15-2010, 10:16 PM
How the hell did we lose to this team?
Vick made this Redskins defense look like a different maroon and gold team:
The Golden Gophers.

We lost to these guys?
Son of a ******.

59-21, and Andy Potbelly Reid still has Vick in.

drowe
11-16-2010, 06:15 AM
Didn't mean to imply he wasn't. You two are just hardly ever around anymore.

I even miss BF51 pwning noob packer fans.

Yeah, I wish I could be around more. That's one part of my old job that I miss. Very little responsibility or accountability. Allthough, that's probably a big reason my position was one of the first to be eliminated.

BloodBrother
11-16-2010, 03:48 PM
The Golden Gophers.

We lost to these guys?
Son of a ******.

it's all about when you play them. If the packers played the Skins now, they'd have won big. Actually, even back then during their struggles, the packers probably win if Clay plays the entire game

Sportsfan486
11-16-2010, 03:54 PM
The Golden Gophers.

We lost to these guys?
Son of a ******.

Meh, Vick is a nightmare for opposing teams. The Redskins pretty obviously over-thought playing him and got absolutely destroyed on simple play-fakes and rollouts. They never went full out with pressure and just tried to keep him in the pocket, which failed miserably when Reid came back with designed rollouts. It's like when we played the Eagles; we absolutely shut them down until Vick came in and nearly led a comeback. He's playing at a higher level than he ever has, obviously benefiting from Reid's playcalling and playmakers all around him (that WR trio is just sick and then you have McCoy as another speed/catchy guy out of the backfield.)
This is almost certainly the most talent-ridden offense in the league and it suits Vick's skills perfectly (lots of rollouts, two receivers with insane speed to catch anything he throws deep, lots of high % passes in screens and such.)

The Eagles have the most speed on offense and when you have speed, you're going to have some big games like this. (Also helped that Reid never pulled Vick and that Redskins team, except for McNabb, pretty much gave up.)

J-Mike88
11-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Yeah, the Giants at Eagles game this Sunday Night is definitely Must-See TV.
What a change in a week.
Last week, almost everyone was crowning the Giants in the NFC.

Then Hotlanta beats Baltimore, Dallas doubles their season win total in powerless Giants Stadium, and Philly just Tomahawk's the Redskins. And the Bears crush the Grape Apes.

Things change fast in the NFL.
What's next?

Sportsfan486
11-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Yeah, the Giants at Eagles game this Sunday Night is definitely Must-See TV.
What a change in a week.
Last week, almost everyone was crowning the Giants in the NFC.

Then Hotlanta beats Baltimore, Dallas doubles their season win total in powerless Giants Stadium, and Philly just Tomahawk's the Redskins. And the Bears crush the Grape Apes.

Things change fast in the NFL.
What's next?

Packers get the healthiest they've been all year and winning 7 in a row?

J-Mike88
11-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Packers get the healthiest they've been all year and winning 7 in a row?
I'll drink to that.
But it has to be +3 in a row after the regular season ends!

J-Mike88
11-17-2010, 01:56 PM
From Vandermouse:

Only one team in the NFC has a better record than the Packers’ 6-3 mark.

No team in the NFL has allowed fewer points than the Packers.

The Packers’ plus-78 point differential is the best in the league.

The Packers beat the New York Jets, who boast the best record in the AFC.

Yet for all those accomplishments, if the NFL playoffs started today, the Packers wouldn’t be invited to the party.

The Packers are tied for first place in the NFC North with Chicago, but right now the Bears own the tiebreaker over the Packers by virtue of their 20-17 victory earlier this season.

The Packers are among six teams in the NFC with 6-3 records, just one game behind league-leading Atlanta (7-2). But based on wild-card tiebreakers, the Packers would be left out in the cold.

Although the Packers defeated the Eagles (6-3) in the season opener, Philadelphia would make the playoffs because it currently sits atop the NFC East.

The Giants (6-3) and Saints (6-3) would edge out the Packers for wild-card berths based on better records against NFC teams.

Meanwhile, Seattle (5-4) would get in because of its first-place standing in the weak sister NFC West.

The Packers are currently ranked No. 7 among NFC teams in terms of playoff seeding. The Buccaneers, also at 6-3, are ranked No. 8 in the NFC.

Here are the NFC seedings, as of right now:

1. Falcons (7-2)

2. Eagles (6-3)

3. Bears (6-3)

4. Seahawks (5-4)

5. Giants (6-3)

6. Saints (6-3)

7. Packers (6-3)

8. Bucs (6-3)

9. Rams (4-5)

10. Redskins (4-5)

J-Mike88
11-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Some more indirect evidence/examples of why we shouldn't expect to simply roll thru the Vikings on Sunday, from Peter King. And keep in mind McNabb and the Redskins won at Philly earlier this season, then on Monday, well, they were obliterated by Vick:

• Once 5-2, Kansas City tumbling on the road within the division for a second consecutive week, slipping back into that 5-4 morass that seems to represent about half the league. The Raiders (5-4), praise be, are actually in first place through 10 weeks.

• Ditto for Tennessee, which lost 29-17 at Miami despite its new toy, Randy Moss, and the Dolphins going through every quarterback in town this side of Earl Morrall. Just the other day, I was writing about the surprising 5-2 Titans, with their high-powered offense. They're now 5-4 and have lost two in a row to teams that were at .500 or below.

jackalope
11-17-2010, 10:53 PM
How does everyone feel about Shields being back on return duties? I was relieved when we'd given up on him in preseason, because as much as much as I like him as a corner, he's not a return guy. I'm scared that they're trying to force something that isn't going to materialize and could be a disaster.

BloodBrother
11-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Well, they have continued to work with him during practice, so hopefully by now he has improved his ability to catch the ball

Also, reading all the updates from practices this week has been a breathe of fresh air. Actually reading GOOD news regarding the various injuries this team has had

Cullen Jenkins has his cast off now!

GB12
11-17-2010, 11:34 PM
How does everyone feel about Shields being back on return duties? I was relieved when we'd given up on him in preseason, because as much as much as I like him as a corner, he's not a return guy. I'm scared that they're trying to force something that isn't going to materialize and could be a disaster.

I believe we're only using him on kickoffs. I sure hope we are at least. If he's on punts I expect us to lose at least one ball from him dropping it.

Sportsfan486
11-18-2010, 12:10 AM

Bad. Awful. Horrible.

Williams and Nelson should be our returners. Period.

Zycho32
11-18-2010, 03:31 AM
I've no objection to Shields returning Kickoffs per se. He looked downright explosive that one try against Dallas.

Punts, on the other hand....

J-Mike88
11-18-2010, 06:38 AM
His hands beating Miles Austin for that interception were pretty impressive.
Still, I only want Shields returning kickoffs at the moment.
I noticed that Holmgren & Mangini signed Clifton Smith this week as an insurance kick/punt returner for the Browns as Josh Cribbs is banged up.

I'd still rather have a specialized guy like that doing the duties than a very valuable cornerback like Tramon Williams. Even Shields is too valuable IMO to risk injury at that position.

I'd rather let go of OL #10 and keep a specialized guy on the return unit.

Zycho32
11-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Speaking of Special Teams, does Jarrett Bush look like he's once more acceptable now that he's not as showcased in the secondary? It seems he's been in the thick of things more often as a gunner- and I notice he was the one who striped Dez Bryant of the ball during that one return.

BloodBrother
11-18-2010, 12:42 PM
I have no problem with Shields returning kicks. They have continued to work with him in that aspect so by now I'd hope he can catch the ball cleanly. He's definitely more explosive than Nelson

J-Mike88
11-19-2010, 06:37 AM
Damn Bears..... they've done a great job winning games against the Panthers backup QB, and the Dolphins 3rd string QB playing behind a patchwork OL and no Brandon Marshall to throw to midway-out.

How did we lose to that Miami team?
How did we lose to that Redskin team that just sent Michael Vick into the National Football League Hall of Fame?

drowe
11-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Damn Bears..... they've done a great job winning games against the Panthers backup QB, and the Dolphins 3rd string QB playing behind a patchwork OL and no Brandon Marshall to throw to midway-out.

How did we lose to that Miami team?
How did we lose to that Redskin team that just sent Michael Vick into the National Football League Hall of Fame?

for real. why couldn't we get the dolphins this week?

with the bears schedule, they really needed that win.

now, it's a huge 2 week stretch for the Packers. Lose to the vikings and we're suddenly up against a wall going down to Atlanta to play one of the elite teams in the NFC.

beat the vikings and we can take a big step towards not even playing in the first round of the playoffs by beating Atlanta the next week.

stress.

J-Mike88
11-20-2010, 12:53 AM
I want a playoff BYE so badly...... that would put us just one home win away from the NFC Championship game.

We win our next 2 games, and I'd say there's a better than 70% chance that scenario plays out.

Come on offense, let's heat up, and please God, keep Clifton & Bulaga healthy on the edges. That's so damn important, going into 2 loud domes with some good edge rushers.

Sportsfan486
11-20-2010, 01:06 AM
I want a playoff BYE so badly...... that would put us just one home win away from the NFC Championship game.

We win our next 2 games, and I'd say there's a better than 70% chance that scenario plays out.

Come on offense, let's heat up, and please God, keep Clifton & Bulaga healthy on the edges. That's so damn important, going into 2 loud domes with some good edge rushers.

We'll see what happens. It's probably going to come down to week 17 either for the division or for whether we get a bye (and the Bears will probably be fighting for playoffs if that happens.)

This week is a big one, though. We lose here and we're in a hole.

cvv84
11-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Packers and Desmond Bishop have been discussing a new contract. I like it alot, Bishop has been averaging 9 tackles a game since becoming a starter and made several big plays already. With Barnett becoming more injury prone lately and Hawk's contract status, locking Bishop up will only benefit us in the long run.

umphrey
11-20-2010, 04:15 PM
I can't wait to see Bishop and Barnett on the field together. That will be a tough, physical duo. Plenty of opportunities to blow people up playing behind Raji taking double teams and offenses shifting over watching CM3.

GB12
11-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Our defense could be ridiculously good next year. It's one of the best in the league right now, and then we'll get back all the injured guys plus get an upgrade at OLB and/or nickelback through the draft.

J-Mike88
11-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Our defense could be ridiculously good next year. It's one of the best in the league right now, and then we'll get back all the injured guys plus get an upgrade at OLB and/or nickelback through the draft.
And imagine if just one of Underwood or Pat Lee show something....

cvv84
11-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Our rush offense hasn't been great but Marshawn Lynch has been downright brutal for the Seahawks so far.

Sportsfan486
11-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Our rush offense hasn't been great but Marshawn Lynch has been downright brutal for the Seahawks so far.

Word. And Nance looked good today, very north-south runner who can make people miss and pound for yards. Much better in that aspect than Jackson who dances around back there without the speed to make it up. Always like Jackson outta the backfield as a WR and blocking, though.

J-Mike88
11-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Seattle's offensive line is absolutely bush though.
There are better OL's in the Big Ten right now.

BloodBrother
11-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Hopefully Starks is active next week and gets some action on ST at least. Get him up to speed to the NFL. Bjax/Nance/Starks should be fine down the stretch, especially in the cold

what I loved today was that 4th TD pass by Rodgers. It was 3rd and 1, and there was Kuhn, lined up in the backfield. I was thinking to myself "oh great, here comes the freakin FB run again" and to my surprise it was a PA and then a beautiful throw and catch for a TD to Jennings

Sportsfan486
11-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Hopefully Starks is active next week and gets some action on ST at least. Get him up to speed to the NFL. Bjax/Nance/Starks should be fine down the stretch, especially in the cold

what I loved today was that 4th TD pass by Rodgers. It was 3rd and 1, and there was Kuhn, lined up in the backfield. I was thinking to myself "oh great, here comes the freakin FB run again" and to my surprise it was a PA and then a beautiful throw and catch for a TD to Jennings

This. That was the sexiest play of the season for us, I immediately texted my brother 3 times and then called him. Rub that **** in, **** you Vikings.

J-Mike88
11-21-2010, 04:59 PM
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3023/childress.jpg
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3306/favresad.jpg

Sportsfan486
11-21-2010, 05:24 PM
I find it disappointing we only had the one INT. Slackers back there in the secondary.
I find it amusing how often Favre was on his butt for the game and how scared he was of the blitz, throwing and ducking outta the way.

Also, what happened with not being able to get hit on a foot first slide? Seemed like Rodgers got hit a bit on a couple of them and I always remember the refs being super flaggy about that unless it was clearly incidental.

J-Mike88
11-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Bigby's Hamstring again?
I like Peprah better, but still, we want our depth good. What's his hamstring made of? Pasta?

COACH MIKE MCCARTHY

How satisfying is it to come in here and knock off the Vikings, ending any playoff hopes they might have had?
Well we're not really concerned about their standings and where they are going with the playoffs. Our focus was clearly on getting this division win. Though building to play in. I can't give the players enough credit. You can see this building through the week, our work throughout the practice was outstanding. It was very important for us to play well. We knew coming into the game, if we were to take care of the football, zero giveaways, play disciplined football reflected in the zero penalties and we felt very confident that our defense was going to take the football away.

How good is your team right now?
We're 7-3 and that's the facts. We're a good football team, we always knew we were a good football team. We have seven wins, three losses and we have an opportunity coming up here in seven days in Atlanta. It's important for us to take the things from today that we can do better. We'll do that oer the next two days, make sure we correct that.

Can you talk about the play of Greg Jennings, the plays he made, the catches he made?
Greg is outstanding. A, the route running, B, the yards after the catch. We felt that if they were going to give us the one-on-ones in space that we were going to be able to take advantage of it. They played exclusive, a lot of two-deep early. We struggled there, i think, the first, maybe second series. Had one sack and we made a mistake on protection, but then after that I though our offense played well with a good rhythm. Aaron kept us in very good plays at the line of scrimmage. We managed the crowd noise excellent. I can't say enough about our fans. They were awesome. It was a great day for the Green Bay Packers.

Injuries?
Anthony Smith had an ankle; X-rays were negative. He did not return. Patrick Lee had an ankle injury, he was re-taped and returned. Atari Bigby had a hamstring and did not return.

AARON RODGERS

What personally did you take from being sacked so many times last year to playing well today?
Not very personally. I'm proud of the way we played today. I think our guys did a really nice job upfront. We had a couple sacks early on. In the second quarter, we just started getting things rolling.

You talked about getting things rolling, but it didn't happen till the second half?
Well, we had a big momentum swing there. We were up 10-3 and Tramon had a big-time pick and we were in the 2-minute mode and we were able to put that thing 17-3 going into halftime. Got the ball after halftime and scored to make it a three-score game. From there it was just kind of, run some time off the clock and our defense played great.

Talk about making plays yourself.
Yeah, i was joking with Jared Allen after the game that sometimes I just close my eyes and keep moving and make sure I have two hands on the ball. In that situation, I felt like there were some guys around me and i was able to get out of it. And once I got out I realized I was kind of clean and Greg made a great reactionary play to come back to the middle and we were able to get a touchdown.

GREG JENNINGS

That long one, what was that move you put on the defensive back?
You know, that's kind of crazy because I watched film the first time we played them and someone had put a move on him, kind of got him turned around like that in the previous game they had and it was kind of like deja vu all over again except I was the one with the ball.

After an 8-yard first quarter, what happened with the offense then?
Aaron ended up with 300 yards? We turned on who we were instead of playing into their hands and we started being more aggressive, trying to attack them vertically, which kind of opened things up for the running game and opened up the middle of the field a lot more. And guy just stepped up and started making plays.

Sportsfan486
11-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Couple more individual notes for the game from what I saw with my choppy internet feed.

Rodgers - Looked spectacular. What else can you say? Accuracy, arm strength, avoiding pressure, smart plays.

Jackson - Bad running the ball, doesn't seem to get you need to go forward and not dance. Looked good catching and blocking; thought he would score on that one reception.

Nance - Deserves mention for looking like a workhorse out there. Considering Jackson's struggles and the Vikings expecting the run for a lot of his gains, very good performance.

OLine - Struggled early, settled down a bit after the 1st quarter.

Jones - Nice catch, no mistakes that I caught. Looks like a #1 when he doesn't screw up.

Jennings - The man. Really establishing chemistry with Rodgers.

Jenkins - Looked manly without the cast on.

Raji - Controlled the middle and looked good.

Matthews - Made some decent plays but mostly opened up for other guys.

Williams - Continues to look like a stud. That pick on the slant was a textbook example of how to play that. Also made some nice breakups and that one hit to jar out the ball was sexy for a corner.

Woodson - Dude plays the run and the ball as good as any corner out there. Loved the play he just grabbed the ball and wouldn't let go, even though he didn't get the strip there you get the ball 80% of the time on a play like that.

Best team effort of the year. I thought the punt return with Shield getting the reverse was too gimmicky, he's got ability but that slow developing, backwards play isn't going to work often in the NFL. Needs to just keep catching balls in practice and hopefully next year he can be a guy back there for us.

GB12
11-21-2010, 05:49 PM
jnkjnkjnkjn

You're not supposed to be posting full articles like that. Post a little part in a quote and then link.

J-Mike88
11-21-2010, 06:05 PM
You're not supposed to be posting full articles like that. Post a little part in a quote and then link.
That was a press conference at the podium, not an article.
Can't those Q & A's be posted? I always thought so.

GB12
11-21-2010, 06:06 PM
That was a press conference at the podium, not an article.
Can't those Q & A's be posted? I always thought so.
I know, but still. Just post part of it and link.

J-Mike88
11-21-2010, 09:56 PM
This guy is going to break the bank this off-season.

Q3MOcQO2OQs

cvv84
11-21-2010, 10:41 PM
The past 2 years I've been wondering this myself, why do we always choose to receive when winning the coin toss? We always seem to go 3 and out anways so why not start on defense?

WHAT IF . . . (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/109782904.html) For the first time as the head coach in Green Bay, Mike McCarthy chose to defer and play defense after winning the coin toss. We'll never know whether the first half would have unfolded any differently had he elected to receive instead of kick off. But what we do know for certain is that after the Packers scored a touchdown with 5 seconds left in the first half to make it 17-3, they got the ball to start the third quarter and drove 73 yards for another touchdown that essentially put the game out of reach at 24-3. "We're playing outstanding adversity defense and that's why we wanted to start our defense," McCarthy said. The coach said he started thinking on Friday about deferring if the Packers won the toss, "and the more I thought about it, the more it made sense."

GB12
11-21-2010, 10:50 PM
If you have an electric return man that's going to start you off with great field position then I like starting the game with the ball. Obviously we don't have that. Without that I'd chose to defer every single time.

TitleTown088
11-22-2010, 12:52 AM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/nfl_image_55408.jpg

Sportsfan486
11-22-2010, 12:56 AM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/nfl_image_55408.jpg

HAHAHAHA.

Although, I'm not sure if Rodgers or Favre's complete denial of being a joke this year look is better.

BloodBrother
11-22-2010, 01:58 AM
when I saw that on NFL.com I busted up. Rodgers smirk says it all

Sportsfan486
11-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Rodgers is now on pace for 4150, 64%, 30 TD, 14 int.

Really made up some ground considering how bleh he looked earlier this year. And I'm sure I'll jynx it, but he has a lot of really juicy secondary matchups coming up. None of the teams we have left to play are really known for a great secondary.

J-Mike88
11-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Rodgers is now on pace for 4150, 64%, 30 TD, 14 int.

Really made up some ground considering how bleh he looked earlier this year. And I'm sure I'll jynx it, but he has a lot of really juicy secondary matchups coming up. None of the teams we have left to play are really known for a great secondary.
True, but 3 or 4 of them have good pass rushes that present a challenge.

Check this out. Another stat that has us rated #1 in football.
Also, there are only 3 teams with more wins than us (8 to our 7). And we beat one of them, and we play the other 2 coming up.....

Check out the overall points scored/allowed:

Green Bay +106
Pittsburgh +70
New Orleans +65
Atlanta +64
NY Jets +61
Tennessee +59
Philly +58
Baltimore +55
Indianapolis +52
New England +47
Chicago +45
San Diego +42
Kansas City +36
NY Giants +33
Oakland +15
Tampa Bay +3

That's it for teams that have scored more than they've allowed on the season.

FYI the bottom 10 are:

Carolina -135
Arizona -104
Buffalo -63
San Francisco -59
Minnesota -54
Jacksonville -50
Denver -49
Seattle -48 (1st place in their division)
Cincinnati -47
Houston -43
Washington -43
Dallas -42

drowe
11-22-2010, 11:44 AM
The Packers need to slow down, or we'll make the entire NFC better.

First, we knock out Kevin Kolb. Vick came in...and look what happened.

Then, we get Wade Phillips fired. Jason Garrett takes over and the Cowboys are 2-0 since.

Now, we got Chilly fired. I can only assume the Vikings will improve under Frazier, because, well....they can't play any worse.

With games against the Falcons, Giants and Bears coming up, I feel like we should go easy on 'em or we'll turn 'em into world beaters.

:)

J-Mike88
11-22-2010, 03:21 PM
I think we match up great against New England.
And I like our chances in Atlanta this week too as long as we don't turn the ball over more than once.

We should be able to hold Turner down. It's Roddy White that is their guy, but with Woodson and Tramon, you have to like our chances.

Could be a playoff preview right here.

Sportsfan486
11-22-2010, 03:24 PM
I think we match up great against New England.
And I like our chances in Atlanta this week too as long as we don't turn the ball over more than once.

We should be able to hold Turner down. It's Roddy White that is their guy, but with Woodson and Tramon, you have to like our chances.

Could be a playoff preview right here.

I definitely like the matchup against the Patriots.. but Tom Brady is as elite as they get and we know about our struggles last year (and we have yet to face an elite QB this year.)

Atlanta is definitely winnable but it's a solid D and we really need to focus on keeping White contained. I hate to say it but I think we need Tramon and a safety on him all game long and then Woodson solo on the terrifying Malcolm Jenkins. White is the only player they have that scares me.

They're not a team that makes a lot of mistakes so we need to play good football to win it; if we get sloppy they're going to take it.

bigboiajhawk
11-22-2010, 03:51 PM
^ It's Michael Jenkins

This upcoming game will really test how good our defense is. I think if we stop Turner we should be able to win this game. This game is all about the lineman however; if Raji and Co. can hold their ground and we only give up 1 or 2 sacks, we will win. If that doesn't happen this game will be very hard to win.

The Falcons defense has some stud LB's, luckily for us we don't really run the ball. Looking at their safeties, I think we can really exploit them deep, just like we did against the Vikings.

I am a little worried about Tony Gonzalez, I keep thinking back to the Dolphin game where they ran that misdirection type play to Fasano. Actually this game reminds me a lot of the Dolphin game. The dolphins and falcons have a good RB, One really good WR, Matt Ryan is better than Henne, and I think the Dolphins D is better. There are some similarities between the two, but...we have a healthy DL and a healthy Clay Matthews.

GB12
11-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Damn it. Looks like we'll be losing Capers after this year.

McCarthy reiterated what he said last week: Namely, defensive coordinator Dom Capers was ready to be an NFL head coach again. "Dom Capers is a head coach-caliber individual in this league," he said. "He's built two programs. He's been a tremendous asset to me. Like I said last week, if I was an NFL owner ... I don't want to lose anybody, but there's a number of guys on our staff I'd look at and certainly Dom is one."

He wouldn't say that unless Capers was seriously interested in being a head coach again. With all the openings there will be this year someone will definitely offer him a job.

umphrey
11-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Hey we got 2 head coaches fired this year. Winner!

J-Mike88
11-22-2010, 05:33 PM
He wouldn't say that unless Capers was seriously interested in being a head coach again. With all the openings there will be this year someone will definitely offer him a job.
Not necessarily.
Because of the labor schit, it sounds like more coaching hires will go/stay from within.
Meaning Dallas is more likely to stay with Jason Garrett, whom they have groomed.
Minny is likely to stay with Leslie Frazier.

The other guys who will be fired for sure are John Fox in Carolina. That's the one spot where Bill Cowher is said to be willing to go because of where his family lives and loves.

And Mike Singletary will be schitcanned too. They need to go with an offensive mind. They should try for Jon Gruden.

Houston and Gary Kubiak might be in danger of finally being fired. And they need help on defense. Capers was their first coach when they were an expansion team. That might be a match right there. Hopefully not though. I'd prefer they bring in Wade Phillips. His daddy coached the Houston Oilers with much success, and Wade is a good defensive mind.

I think the chances anyone hires Capers at his age are less than 50%. Let's hope he's not given any more chances. He's a much better DC than he is a head coach. Just like the Steelers D*ck Lebeau.

umphrey
11-22-2010, 05:46 PM

Well McCarthy said that and it's expected he's going to give mad props to his favorite coordinator right now. Truth is, I think teams with openings are going to look at Capers' body of work and put a lot more stock into his past head coaching gigs and only a little stock into the defense he's ran the past 2 years. The same record is spinning around for the 3rd time now, is someone going to bite again? Then also there is the trend of younger head coaches without past HC experience having success right now.

I feel like if he's on the market as a defensive coordinator, he'd pretty much be the Mike Vick of free agents. But as a head coach, a better analogy would be Daryn Colledge as a left tackle.

cvv84
11-22-2010, 07:30 PM
I don't see anyone going after Capers. Everywhere he's gone as a coordinator he's had success while as a head coach he's flopped. Granted he was with 2 teams in their infancy, Carolina and Houston, but I just don't see a head coaching market for Capers. He is what he is and thats being an excellent coordinator.

Buuuuuut, say if Capers does leave, I feel we have 2 potential replacements in Winston Moss and Kevin Greene. Though Greene could certainly use more grooming.

J-Mike88
11-22-2010, 07:50 PM
What if the Vikings steal away Dom Capers this off-season, make him their head coach?

They take alot of our players..... you don't think they'd try to steal away Capers from us?

The only issues I see against that is Jared Allen would be out of position like Kampman was when we went to a 3-4, but they could and would easily trade him. Pat Williams is on his last legs anyway, and I think Kevin Williams could play DE like Cullen Jenkins has.

If the Vikings do well with Frazier, I think they'll keep him. But if not, watch out.

The other team that might go after Dom is Houston. Their defense sucks ass and he was their first coach as an expansion team, and deserves another chance. He would have some talent to work with there now compared to before.

Hopefully people think he's too old to turn it over to at age 60.

If we do lose him, I say promote Kevin Greene to DC.

GB12
11-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Well McCarthy said that and it's expected he's going to give mad props to his favorite coordinator right now. Truth is, I think teams with openings are going to look at Capers' body of work and put a lot more stock into his past head coaching gigs and only a little stock into the defense he's ran the past 2 years. The same record is spinning around for the 3rd time now, is someone going to bite again? Then also there is the trend of younger head coaches without past HC experience having success right now.

I feel like if he's on the market as a defensive coordinator, he'd pretty much be the Mike Vick of free agents. But as a head coach, a better analogy would be Daryn Colledge as a left tackle.He's never really had a fair shot as a head coach. Both time he had to start an expansion team. And he did have some success in Carolina. He went 7-9 his first year, which is the best record ever for an expansion team. Then in just the second year he took them to the NFC Championship team. He should have gotten a few more years than he did in Carolina. And you can't really blame him for Houston not doing well. The talent on that team was ****. David Carr was a terrible quarterback, the offensive line was even worse, and there was no one good on his defense. Any coach would have failed with that roster.

I think that the job he's done as a coordinator is good enough to get him another shot. If he goes to a team with some talent like Dallas or Minnesota I think he could be really good.

Buuuuuut, say if Capers does leave, I feel we have 2 potential replacements in Winston Moss and Kevin Greene. Though Greene could certainly use more grooming.
If Capers I'd place all bets on Mike Trgovac taking over.

cvv84
11-22-2010, 08:18 PM
If Capers I'd place all bets on Mike Trgovac taking over.

Potentially, but whats holds back all of our in-house canidates back in the lack of experiece in the 3-4. Trgovac and Moss have always worked in 4-3 defenses though with Trgovac's coordinator experience he could indeed be a potential successor.

cvv84
11-22-2010, 08:36 PM
What if the Vikings steal away Dom Capers this off-season, make him their head coach?

They take alot of our players..... you don't think they'd try to steal away Capers from us?

The only issues I see against that is Jared Allen would be out of position like Kampman was when we went to a 3-4, but they could and would easily trade him. Pat Williams is on his last legs anyway, and I think Kevin Williams could play DE like Cullen Jenkins has.

If the Vikings do well with Frazier, I think they'll keep him. But if not, watch out.

The other team that might go after Dom is Houston. Their defense sucks ass and he was their first coach as an expansion team, and deserves another chance. He would have some talent to work with there now compared to before.

Hopefully people think he's too old to turn it over to at age 60.

If we do lose him, I say promote Kevin Greene to DC.

For the sake of the argument, if Dom was the Vikings head coach I don't think that would infulence players jumping ship to Minny. Yes we have alot of guys to re-sign but I don't see any reason why we won't pay them.

Also I always thought we had alot of the pieces in place prior to the transition to the 3-4. Jenkins, Pickett, Jolly, Barnett, Chillar, and Hawk to begin with then entered Matthews, Raji, and Brad Jones to fortify the front 7. Not many teams can make the quick transition that we did and the only current teams that I can think of that did, Dallas and San Diego, both drafted a pass rusher and defensive lineman in the 1st round during their transition year.

Secondly, the Vikings defense has aged and they haven't been able to find compentent replacements - particulary in the secondary. Meanwhile we had Woodson, Harris, Trammon, Collins, and Bigby to start our transition.

For all the glory that Frazier has received over the years, look at how he took over a dominant squad and failed to coach replacements during his tenure so far.

And I personally see Kubiak staying for at least another year.

GB12
11-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Potentially, but whats holds back all of our in-house canidates back in the lack of experiece in the 3-4. Trgovac and Moss have always worked in 4-3 defenses though with Trgovac's coordinator experience he could indeed be a potential successor.

Yeah, but I think we'd want to avoid going outside the organization if we can. Trgovac was a very good coordinator in Carolina. Yeah, he ran a 4-3 there, but he has had 2 seasons under Capers now. He's a smart man, he's got to have picked up enough to be able to run this defense given his experience.

BloodBrother
11-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Dear god I hope CApers is D coordinator next year...and the year after that. How many freakin coordinators have they went through this past decade? It's finally nice to have somebody on the defensive side who knows how to scheme and make adjustments. I hope he doesn't want to do the head coaching thing again and finds that he is comfortable where he is right now

I mean, Thompson has added some nice young pieces for Dom, and this is the 2nd year in the 3-4. I'd like to think he'd want to continue to coach this exciting defense

J-Mike88
11-22-2010, 10:38 PM
I want Capers to last as long as our DC as Lebeau has as the Steelers DC.
He too failed as a HC.
Capers has had 2 chances, albeit both of them being expansion teams.

I agree that Trgovac should have learned enough in 2 years under the wizard to be able to effectively keep running the 3-4. Plus he might have a new twist or two to add to it.

Sportsfan486
11-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Just 'cuz McCarthy hyped the guy doesn't mean anything. Coaches with two HC gigs and both were failures don't typically get hired for a third one. He's pretty far down the list of available head coaches. Not concerned.

jsa230
11-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Is anyone else impressed by how well Raji has been playing? He went into beast mode on a couple series in the vikings game and played good the entire game. When hes not double teamed hes in the backfield most of the time and is starting to look like a top 10 pick. Im loving this Howard Green.Raji.Pickett line . . .its hard to move. Thast has to be a career low for AP vs the Packers, might be the first time he didnt get 100. Go run d!

drowe
11-23-2010, 06:58 AM
Yup. love Raji. 2009 draft ftw.

Love this Falcons game. I think we do match up with 'em well...but, it's still in Atlanta. It'd be our best win of the year if we can pull it off.

Win, and we can start thinking about not playing in the first round of the playoffs.

Lose, and we can keep worrying about not playing in the first round of the playoffs.

Also, GO RAVENS!

GO COWBOYS!

GO EAGLES!

J-Mike88
11-23-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm loving this Howard Green * Raji * Pickett line
I love that line too!
That's over 1050 POUNDS OF BIG BEEF RIGHT THERE!
And the guy in the middle (Raji) has great agility & mobility.
Pickett does too really, when his feet are healthy.

Then we also have Cullen Jenkins.... that's a great 4 right there. Imagine if Mike Neal was still active.

cvv84
11-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Yeah, but I think we'd want to avoid going outside the organization if we can. Trgovac was a very good coordinator in Carolina. Yeah, he ran a 4-3 there, but he has had 2 seasons under Capers now. He's a smart man, he's got to have picked up enough to be able to run this defense given his experience.

I agree, and Trgovac runs kind of a pressure 4-3 with blitzing LBs so the transition might not be as tough.

Just 'cuz McCarthy hyped the guy doesn't mean anything. Coaches with two HC gigs and both were failures don't typically get hired for a third one. He's pretty far down the list of available head coaches. Not concerned.

Still though we need to be prepared and examine potential options. Remember when Jags bolted for Boston College? Our offensive line too awhile to rebound. I'd be more concerned with Capers retiring than leaving Green Bay at this point.

umphrey
11-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Theory: The reason we have Brad Jones and Frank Zombo and a bunch of fill ins playing ROLB is Cullen Jenkins. On the left side we have a big body (Pickett, Raji, Jolly, Howard Green have been the last 4 to play there) and Clay Matthews. The big guy eats up blockers while Clay storms the edge. On the other side, in order to take advantage of Cullen Jenkins, we have a mediocre or poor pass rusher who pretty much plays contain and drops into coverage. Cullen Jenkins storms the pocket and someone else holds the edge. We don't bother putting a pass rusher there because then we'd either have to handicap him or Jenkins.

Thoughts?

J-Mike88
11-24-2010, 08:31 AM
This week is huge in the NFL with the #2 Eagles @ #3 Bears, and us at the #1 Falcons. Things are getting very interesting.

NFC PLAYOFF RACE

(Conference seedings)

1. *FALCONS 8-2
2. *EAGLES 7-3
3. BEARS 7-3
4. *SEAHAWKS 5-5
5. SAINTS 7-3
6. PACKERS 7-3
7. BUCCANEERS 7-3
8. GIANTS 6-4
(*denotes type of bird)

Remaining schedules
FALCONS
Packers (7-3)
At Bucs (7-3)
At Panthers (1-9)
At Seahawks (5-5)
Saints (7-3)
Panthers (1-9)
Opponents’ record: 28-32

EAGLES
At Bears (7-3)
Texans (4-6)
At Cowboys (3-7)
At Giants (6-4)
Vikings (3-7)
Cowboys (3-7)
Opponents’ record: 26-34

BEARS
Eagles (7-3)
At Lions (2-8)
Patriots (8-2)
At Vikings (3-7)
Jets (8-2)
At Packers (7-3)
Opponents’ record: 35-25

SAINTS
At Cowboys (3-7)
At Bengals (2-8)
Rams (4-6)
At Ravens (7-3)
At Falcons (8-2)
Bucs (7-3)
Opponents’ record: 31-29

PACKERS
At Falcons (8-2)
49ers (3-7)
At Lions (2-8)
At Patriots (8-2)
Giants (6-4)
Bears (7-3)
Opponents’ record: 34-26

BUCCANEERS
At Ravens (7-3)
Falcons (8-2)
At Redskins (5-5)
Lions (2-8)
Seahawks (5-5)
At Saints (7-3)
Opponents’ record: 34-26

GIANTS
Jaguars (6-4)
Redskins (5-5)
At Vikings (3-7)
Eagles (7-3)
At Packers (7-3)
At Redskins (5-5)
Opponents’ record: 33-27

PACKmanN
11-24-2010, 09:59 PM

I feel like if he's on the market as a defensive coordinator, he'd pretty much be the Mike Vick of free agents. But as a head coach, a better analogy would be Daryn Colledge as a left tackle.

I don't think any GM should judge Dom's past HC jobs as having success on the win/lose column, but if he developed the team into a path of success. What did he bring to that new franchise. He would be perfect for a young team in need of a leader and a guy who players will play for, aka 49ers.

Zycho32
11-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Theory: The reason we have Brad Jones and Frank Zombo and a bunch of fill ins playing ROLB is Cullen Jenkins. On the left side we have a big body (Pickett, Raji, Jolly, Howard Green have been the last 4 to play there) and Clay Matthews. The big guy eats up blockers while Clay storms the edge. On the other side, in order to take advantage of Cullen Jenkins, we have a mediocre or poor pass rusher who pretty much plays contain and drops into coverage. Cullen Jenkins storms the pocket and someone else holds the edge. We don't bother putting a pass rusher there because then we'd either have to handicap him or Jenkins.

Thoughts?

The concept works rather well. What I'd really like to see there is a John Anderson type (remember that guy?) who can contain the edge and be an exceptional cover LB with the sort of athleticism needed to keep up with today's brand of TEs and RBs. Think someone approaching DeAndre Levy's speed and a couple inches or so extra height.

And imagine if you could then teach this defense to play a mirror version of itself- get Clay on the right and Jenkins on the left, and just play a Chess Match with the opposing offenses all game long.

J-Mike88
11-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Cool video from Sterling & Baldy on the Packers defense, plus some articles from the Atlanta local media:
www.packersinsider.com

-Falcons are 18-3 under Smith in the Georgia Dome. The Falcons are 5-0 and averaging 29.8 points at home this season.

-Matt Ryan is 18-1 in the Georgia Dome as a starter.

-The Packers have 29 sacks, which ranks fourth in the NFL. The Falcons' offensive line faced a similar challenge last week against the Rams, who were tied for the league lead in sacks at the time. The Falcons held them sackless.

Todd McClure and his linemates have yielded only 15 sacks this season and have not allowed one in three of the past four games.

-Packers defense ranks second in lowest opposing quarterback passer rating at 66.5.

-Roddy White has 79 catches for 1,017 yards and 7 touchdowns. Greg Jennings has 46 catches for 703 yards and 9 touchdowns. White has caught 11 passes or more in 3 different games.

-The Packers have not been allowing points in the red zone -- or otherwise.

Over the past 13 quarters, the Packers have allowed one touchdown. In four road games, the defense has allowed five touchdowns. Also in road games, they kept the New York Jets and Minnesota Vikings from scoring a touchdown.

-Packers defense ranked second in the NFL with 15 interceptions and are second in defensive touchdowns with four. The unit ranks first in fewest touchdowns allowed with 14.

J-Mike88
11-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Coaches speak about Frank Zombo. ZOMBO!!!
Quotes from Capers & Greene.

Dom Capers:
“I’ve always felt the good defenses, you might have two or three guys that make a lot of plays, and you’ve got a lot of really good guys that are solid at what they do.
Zombo has been very consistent, plays the run well, fits where he’s supposed to fit. Personally for me, I’d rather have a guy that is disciplined and tough and consistent than a guy that is extremely talented and is a ‘sometimes’ guy where out of five plays, you might get one great play where everybody goes ‘wow’ and then two or three times he’s not where he’s supposed to be."

“Zombo is one of those guys in a 60-play game, there might be a few negative plays that show up. For example, last week we had a fire-zone with Woodson free, and they dump the ball off to Toby Gerhart, and Zombo misses the tackle, and they get the first down. Later in the game, he had almost the exact same play, and he got the guy down.”

Kevin Greene, reviewing game film vs Minnesota and behemoth LT Bryant Sugar Daddy McKinnie:
“Who’s kicking who’s (butt)?” Greene asks rhetorically. “Seriously, straight up. He’s changing the line of scrimmage on a guy who weighs 350 pounds and (went to the) Pro Bowl. This is David and Goliath. It’s Zombo kicking a big man’s (butt), if you ever want to see what a (butt) kicking looks like. McKinnie’s job is to hit him in the lips and blow him off the ball, move him off the line of scrimmage. Not the other way around. Whose feet are going back? McKinnie’s.”

With each highlight Greene showed, the former star outside linebacker, who is in his second season on the Packers’ coaching staff, became more excited. At various points, he’d just yell, “Zombo!”

“I think he can give us some pass rush,” Capers said. “He’s a physical guy. They’ve got as big a tackle as we’ve faced, and I saw him walk the tackle back into Favre, and Favre had to throw (off balance). With pass rush, it’s just as important for that quarterback to feel constant pressure into him than maybe a guy who’s running around the edge but four out of five times he’s pushed by the quarterback. A lot of these guys that come out of college, that’s what they’re doing. They run around the edge and get washed out.”

Back in the film room, Greene has more clips to show, but someone interrupts.

“OK, we’re almost done,” Greene said. “I want to show you one in particular. Watch this run. They try to run a delayed screen on Zombo. Guess what? Tackle for no gain.”

J-Mike88
11-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Anyone else besides me and KG like just yelling out the name ZOMBO! ???

I thought it was just me until I heard/read Kevin Greene yelling that name.
What a name.

Matt Ryan, you've just been ZOMBONATED!!!

senormysterioso
11-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Anyone else besides me and KG like just yelling out the name ZOMBO! ???

Most definitely! It's like a combination of Zombie and Rambo, which are two of the most bad ass things in the world. Could you imagine a Zombie Rambo, tearing up Portland and eating Brian Dennehy's brains. I'm going to get a Zombo jersey at some point. When I feel relatively certain that he'll be sticking with us for awhile.

GB12
11-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Most definitely! It's like a combination of Zombie and Rambo, which are two of the most bad ass things in the world. Could you imagine a Zombie Rambo, tearing up Portland and eating Brian Dennehy's brains. I'm going to get a Zombo jersey at some point. When I feel relatively certain that he'll be sticking with us for awhile.

Don't think that'll ever happen. Certainly not as a starter at least. I'd still take a healthy Brad Jones over him, and we should be drafting someone to start over both of them.

On a semi-related note, I saw a guy in a Havner jersey last week. As awesome as that is, I'm sure he had that before Havner was cut and luckily got to break it out again. Too risky to drop money for a jersey on those bottom end guys, especially since you have make it custom.

BloodBrother
11-27-2010, 12:35 AM
Brad Jones didnt' really show much, and so far he seems to not be able to stay healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if Zombo passes him up and stays ahead of him next season. Of course, the Pack should draft another OLB either way. I do like Zombo, though. Good story, as well as with Shields

J-Mike88
11-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Brad Jones didnt' really show much, and so far he seems to not be able to stay healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if Zombo passes him up and stays ahead of him next season. Of course, the Pack should draft another OLB either way. I do like Zombo, though. Good story, as well as with Shields
I agree. Zombo has shown a lot more already than Jones did. I know Jones registered 4 sacks last year, but he played the OLB position at Colorado, and I thought he'd be better than he was..... and like you said, availability is key.

Coaches were frustrated by Jones early in camp this year, and he eventually was shut down for the whole season, not a good thing for a guy who never even played that much.

Zombo on the other hand has transitioned into a totally different position, and has shown a lot.... so much so that Kevin Greene was that excited about him he had to show the film and highlight ZOMBO!

J-Mike88
11-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Rodgers & Rivers make assault on NFL History Record Books

http://packersinsider.com/?p=2738

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7444/riversrodgers.jpg

We really are fortunate to have #12. But as with Rivers, and Manning for his first 7 or 8 years, it takes a Super Bowl to catapault a really really good QB into that "great" level. Same with the teams. Damn I hope we can get a Super Bowl soon in Rodgers career here so then ALL the pressure is lifted and he can rack more up afterwards like a Montana, Aikman, and Brady.

J-Mike88
11-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Power Rankings Have Packers #1

http://packersinsider.com/?p=2742

Trent Dilfer is now impressed
WECnFfQxnck

cvv84
11-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Don't think that'll ever happen. Certainly not as a starter at least. I'd still take a healthy Brad Jones over him, and we should be drafting someone to start over both of them.

I agree here. Jones is a much better natural fit to the position, as he played a simular role while at Colorado. Zombo is a descent but hasn't generated a sack since week 3 despite an increased role and numerous starting opportunites.

Pack_Attack_4
11-27-2010, 12:21 PM
we all have to remember that he is still rookie and hes playin a totally diffferent position than he did in college, sayin that Zombo has done a really nice job for us, i thought we might of been in trouble with all those injurys to the LBs but he has steaped it up. a few more sacks would be nice but our D is playin amazing 10 points in the last 3 games is solid.

tjsunstein
11-27-2010, 01:17 PM
The Green Bay Packers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers) have 29 sacks this season, tied for fourth-most in the NFL, and are doing so despite sending four or fewer rushers on 68.9 percent of passing plays this season. Linebacker Clay Matthews (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=6574) has seven sacks when the Packers send fewer than five pass-rushers.

-ESPN

J-Mike88
11-27-2010, 02:52 PM
The Green Bay Packers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers) have 29 sacks this season, tied for fourth-most in the NFL, and are doing so despite sending four or fewer rushers on 68.9 percent of passing plays this season. Linebacker Clay Matthews (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=6574) has seven sacks when the Packers send fewer than five pass-rushers.

-ESPN
I think Dom is saving some more exotic blitzes for games like this one, and New England.
We usually rush just 4 guys, but I expect some more Double-A-Gappers in the next few weeks, freeing Matthews up even more, but better than that: getting some guys free right up the gut like Bishop & Hawk.

Win this, go to 8-3, and then we have the 49ers & Lions, and 10-3 is a realistic possibilty.

Let's hope our opening week win over Philly proves to be the difference in who gets the #1 or #2 seed, because those spots are byes and just 1 win from the NFC Title game.

umphrey
11-28-2010, 11:19 AM
I saw a good pre game segment on the back shoulder throw featuring Aaron Rodgers and Greg Jennings today. Mike McCarthy runs a great offense IMO. He has a lot of cutting edge plays but mixes in the old school stuff well.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-28-2010, 12:01 PM
If you guys find a good stream, PM it here.

J-Mike88
11-29-2010, 10:58 AM
From Peter King of Sports Illustrated:

The Fine Fifteen

1. Atlanta (9-2). The Falcons are 4-0 in the last 22 days against teams with a combined record of 27-17. Matt Ryan and his teammates deserve this lofty perch -- especially with him playing like a latter-day Peyton Manning.
2. New England (9-2). Still a bit worried about its defense holding down a top offense, but less so after seeing the magnificent Devin McCourty besting Calvin Johnson Thursday in Detroit.
3. New York Jets (9-2). Rex Ryan's right. Marquee game of the year a week from tonight in Foxboro. The Jets won the first meeting, 28-14, back on Sept. 19.
4. Green Bay (7-4). Outgained Atlanta 418-294 in the Stats Are For Losers Dept. There's something about the Packers, though. I think they've got a heck of a shot to be back at the Georgia Dome for the NFC title game.
5. Chicago (8-3). I have no idea how that offensive line is going to hold up in December and January, but give Rod Marinelli and that D some credit for holding Mike Vick in check for 60 minutes better than anyone has this season.

MVP Watch

1. Tom Brady, QB, New England. Masterful in carving up the Lions Thursday, presumably before carving some fowl Thursday night in his Back Bay home.
2. Philip Rivers, QB, San Diego. I cannot argue with you one scintilla if you put Rivers over Brady. Numerically, it's a push, I'd say. Rivers has a 659-yard edge in passing yards. Brady is plus-19 in TD-to-INT ratio, Rivers plus-14. Brady's passer rating is 0.9 points higher, 105.8-104.9. Rivers has a big edge in the important yards-per-attempt stat, 8.94 to 7.59. Wins? Brady's three up.
3. Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta. Five straight wins, all with a rating of over 94.
4. Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay. Pushes his teammate, Clay Matthews, out of the competition -- for now. Rodgers made some spectacularly cool plays in tense moment Sunday at Atlanta.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz16gsLdARW

J-Mike88
11-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Off-season Priorties:

#1- Replace Special Teams Coach: overhaul all coverage units
The fact that we all hold our breath every time we kickoff, or punt, tells you all you need to know about whatever system Slocum learned under Stock. It sucks. Or else are guys are soft and scared on special teams.

#2- Draft two left tackle prospects and hope one develops into the next Clifton. That is, unless they really think Bulaga is the LT of the future, and Lang the RT.

#3- Find a speed RB ala a Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, Reggie Bush, Mike Goodson, Jerious Norwood......

#4- For once, get a special team return guy who only worries about taking punts and kicks back. Blackmon was good at that as the PR. We need both.

princefielder28
11-29-2010, 07:01 PM
I don't think we really need that speed back; it wouldn't be a bad thing b/c of the big play potential but we need someone back there that we can trust on 3rd and 1 to get that first down...Grant is that guy when healthy and Bilal Powell is one guy in this year's draft that I feel could fill the role

GB12
11-29-2010, 07:05 PM
I don't think we really need that speed back; it wouldn't be a bad thing b/c of the big play potential but we need someone back there that we can trust on 3rd and 1 to get that first down...Grant is that guy when healthy and Bilal Powell is one guy in this year's draft that I feel could fill the role
Like you said we have Grant for that, plus Nance is showing signs that he might be a good short yardage back. I also don't know why the hell we never tried with Kuhn in that game.

What we don't have is a guy with speed. We try to run to the edges a couple times a game and it never works because Brandon Jackson is not fast enough to get there. Grant is a little better, but even for him it's not a good play. We need someone that can open up the edge for us. Also most times the smaller faster backs are good receivers, which would also be a big weapon for us considering all the other threats on our offense that the defense already has to worry about.

princefielder28
11-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Like you said we have Grant for that, plus Nance is showing signs that he might be a good short yardage back. I also don't know why the hell we never tried with Kuhn in that game.

What we don't have is a guy with speed. We try to run to the edges a couple times a game and it never works because Brandon Jackson is not fast enough to get there. Grant is a little better, but even for him it's not a good play. We need someone that can open up the edge for us. Also most times the smaller faster backs are good receivers, which would also be a big weapon for us considering all the other threats on our offense that the defense already has to worry about.

Yeah and adding a speed back could also help address our needs in special teams for a potential big play guy

cvv84
11-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Nance suffered a concussion on Sunday so its looking like Starks has a good chance of being active this week. Hopefully he doesn't turn into another Chris Johnson or David Martin for us.

J-Mike88
11-29-2010, 09:35 PM
James Starks will get a chance to show what he's got.

I can't say I've ever seen him play live, which is pretty rare for a collegiate player.

I don't know if he's a guy who can hit a hole immediately (assuming there are any), or if he's a guy who can get around the edge.

The more I watch Jamaal Charles, the more I dream about us having that guy back there for Rodgers to run draws to, or to get going when the defense is focusing on stopping J-Mike and Jennings.

GB12
11-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Chillar, Havner, and Lee all could go on IR after the injuries on Sunday. ************ this is ridiculous.

J-Mike88
11-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Chillar, Havner, and Lee all could go on IR after the injuries on Sunday. ************ this is ridiculous.
The Chillar one is pathetic.
I watched that one over & over with the DVR, showing to my mom how their kick returner got thru us, as usual, and Chillar and him met head on. For the tackle.
But Chillar came away holding his hand/arm.... and I said to my mom, watch, that will be a seemingly-innocent play where we lose him to IR, like so many others.

I mean when you see Sam Shields or Pat Lee run into anyone returning kicks, or Tramon returning punts, don't you expect our smaller, frailer return guy to be the one who gets hurt? Yes.

So why do our linebackers get hurt on 1-on-1 tackles of kick returners like that? If anyone still has it on DVR or TiVO, it happened early, I think after our FG.

I never even noticed Havner out there. Wonder if that happened on the opening kickoff.

Pat Lee, we all saw that one because Fox actually paid attention, unlike the Chillar one.

Our guys seem to be so soft physically. Shoulders all the time, hamstrings.

GB12
11-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Well, Frank Gore is out for the season. Should make next week's win even more automatic. Beat the 49ers and Lions and then hopefully we only need one more win over the last three weeks to get in.

tjsunstein
11-30-2010, 03:24 AM
Just to comment on Zombo real quick. Personally, I like Zombs or Zombo Nation.

As mentioned in another thread, how likely do you think it may be that the Packers try to cash in on Matt Flynn this offseason considering the needs at QB around the league? I thought and still think as high as a 3rd.

bigboiajhawk
11-30-2010, 03:34 AM

As mentioned in another thread, how likely do you think it may be that the Packers try to cash in on Matt Flynn this offseason considering the needs at QB around the league? I thought and still think as high as a 3rd.

I agree with you completely, we have developed a late round pick and we should trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder. Then we should trade up in the draft and get Ryan Kerrigan from Purdue in the 1st round. Ahh, dreaming, but I really believe that Flynn will be traded. We will have Graham Harrell in his second year as a packer and probably draft a QB late maybe a guy like Tolzien, someone that is a winner with some accuracy like the QB out of Alabama.

Pacific
11-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Nice to see that we got a deal with Tramon locked up. 4yr/$41mil.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/111071544.html

J-Mike88
11-30-2010, 03:38 PM
DeShawn Wynn Returns

DeShawn Wynn will be at Lambeau Field this week as he has been promoted.
For the 49ers.

J-Mike88
11-30-2010, 03:41 PM

Wow, he's a rich man now.
Too bad that wasn't 5 or 6 years for $41, from the team perspective.
Hopefully he's playing better than ever when that 4 year deal is up.

BloodBrother
11-30-2010, 04:31 PM
As expected, Chillar and Havner were placed on IR today. In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet

inpositive news, glad to see them lock Tramon up. Who is next? James Jones or Cullen Jenkins? I really hope they don't let Jenkins go. You win in the trenches, and it never hurts to have a deep and talented Dline. I want to see Jolly back next year to

GB12
11-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Wow, he's a rich man now.
Too bad that wasn't 5 or 6 years for $41, from the team perspective.
Hopefully he's playing better than ever when that 4 year deal is up.

I think 4 years is perfect. We have him until he's 31. That's a good time to re-evaluate at.

J-Mike88
11-30-2010, 04:52 PM
As expected, Chillar and Havner were placed on IR today. In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet...
Un****ingReal. Our guys are fragile.

So we've now lost our #2, #3, and #4 OLBers coming into the season.

Who's left to pick up out there?
Is Adalius Thomas on anyone's roster?

jackalope
11-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Very nice to hear Tramon is locked up.

Sportsfan486
11-30-2010, 10:48 PM
James Starks will get a chance to show what he's got.

I can't say I've ever seen him play live, which is pretty rare for a collegiate player.

I don't know if he's a guy who can hit a hole immediately (assuming there are any), or if he's a guy who can get around the edge.

His style and speed are very similar to Ryan Grant, although he probably has better hands and lacks the physicality of Grant. He also runs EXTREMELY upright; more like a WR then a RB. Don't expect amazing things.

Why would we trade Flynn? I doubt he's shown enough for a 3rd round pick and we'd be leaving ourselves without a good backup despite having a somewhat injury prone and oft-running QB.

J-Mike88
11-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Like with Ryan Grant and Scott Wells the past few years, I've tried to defend Daryn Colledge. But now.... and why are we always running left behind him instead of Sitton on the sneaks and short yardage? WTF....

From Bob McGinn:
http://www.jsonline.com/packerinsider/111020224.html

RATING THE OL vs ATLANTA

The Falcons rushed three men as many times as they rushed four (16), and coordinator Brian VanGorder blitzed just 23.8%. DE John Abraham, their only rushing threat, spent the first half over Chad Clifton and most of the second half over Bryan Bulaga. He went nowhere against Clifton and had two marginal hurries against Bulaga.

So the Packers pass-blocked well, but the degree of difficulty wasn't great. The problem was the run game, where Josh Sitton was the only starter not responsible for at least one-half "bad" run.

Aaron Rodgers should have had a freeway into the end zone on the first sneak because the Falcons' front wasn't even lined up. But when Daryn Colledge got way too high against DT Peria Jerry, then didn't work well with Scott Wells against NT Corey Peters on the second, back-to-back sneaks failed.

Colledge finished with two "bad" runs, Bulaga had 1½, Wells had one and Clifton had one-half. The embarrassing minus-6 run by Brandon Jackson would have been at least a short gain, but Wells lost his balance and let MLB Curtis Lofton steam in untouched. Colledge and Bulaga had false-start penalties on the last drive. Losing teams commit those kinds of fouls.

Plays of the week

Second quarter, 8 minutes left. Score tied, 3-3. On second and goal from the 2, the Packers line up with four WRs, one TE and no RB. Barking signals, Aaron Rodgers changes the huddle call. He moves up from the shotgun set to under center and takes a quick snap with 3 seconds on the play clock. The Falcons’ defense is spread all across the field.

The Falcons are late lining up; it should be an easy touchdown. DT Peria Jerry isn’t even in his stance when the ball is snapped. Across from Jerry, Daryn Colledge comes off too high and is out-leveraged by Jerry, who plays through the guard and grabs Rodgers around the knees as he surges to the 1. Chad Clifton offers little punch next to Colledge. Then LB Curtis Lofton and DT Jonathan Babineaux pop Rodgers as he topples over at the 1.

On third down, the sneak is called by Mike McCarthy. This time the Packers are in an I formation with three TEs. Arrayed against them are 11 men in the box. Again, Rodgers puts the ball under his left arm and tries to fight his way in behind Colledge. In the A gap, DT Corey Peters gets lower than C Scott Wells and Colledge, submarines and does enough to slow Rodgers’ progress. RG Josh Sitton isn’t helping much, either. As Rodgers leans forward, he is wrapped up by Lofton and the ball comes loose. It bounces about 3 yards into the end zone. LB Mike Peterson is the first man to the ball, just ahead of Brandon Jackson and Wells, and makes the contested recovery for a touchback.

http://www.jsonline.com/packerinsider/111020224.html

GB12
12-01-2010, 12:03 AM
I find it funny how everyone loves Matt Flynn now. A year ago no one thought he was anything. It wasn't until McCarthy was praising him this preseason that people started liking him. Now all of a sudden he's a starting QB and worth a 3rd round pick.

jsa230
12-01-2010, 07:57 AM
I find it funny how everyone loves Matt Flynn now. A year ago no one thought he was anything. It wasn't until McCarthy was praising him this preseason that people started liking him. Now all of a sudden he's a starting QB and worth a 3rd round pick.

I totally get what you're saying but thats a bit of an exageration. Competent packers fans know what they have in Flynn. MF showed me he was a man in the preseason and has earned his roster spot. Hes a legitmate backup with room to improve. Nothing more, nothing less. That said, i dont think the packers could win a playoff game with flynn under center.

J-Mike88
12-01-2010, 08:38 AM
That said, i dont think the packers could win a playoff game with flynn under center.
Have we won a playoff game with Rodgers under center?

jsa230
12-01-2010, 10:19 AM
No, hes 0-1, but we came danm close. c'mon jmike, good point, but you knew what i meant. with that said, rodgers gives us a chance to make a deep run into the playoffs.

senormysterioso
12-01-2010, 10:38 AM

Everything that I've read says that it's just over $33 million, which seems much more reasonable. Maybe there are escalators that can get it to $41 million?

http://whbl.com/news/articles/2010/dec/01/williams-gets-contract-extension/
http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/wire/sns-ap-fbn-packers-williams-contract,0,3610652.story
http://www.channel3000.com/sports/25966461/detail.html

cvv84
12-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Flynn to me seemed like a guy who would always be a good backup. Just like back when we had Craig Nall. As to trading him? I highly, highly doubt that. For one we'd have no capable backup and would have to draft and groom someone all over again. Secondly, after the Charlie Whitehurst debacle, I doubt anyone would offer more than a 5th for Flynn. Then you look at this years QBs in the draft and theres a potential of 4 first round picks right there. Re-sign him and keep drafted later round QBs - Ron Wolf 101.

J-Mike88
12-01-2010, 01:56 PM
No, hes 0-1, but we came danm close. c'mon jmike, good point, but you knew what i meant. with that said, rodgers gives us a chance to make a deep run into the playoffs.
You're right obviously. Rodgers is great. And he showed some super clutchness Sunday that I think really meant a lot to Aaron.

Still, I don't think we're dead if Flynn has to play because I think the guy can move the chains. I'm not saying I have the same confidence if he were to go down as I did in the Patriots when Drew Bledsoe went down in the 2000 season and the young Tom Brady had to fill in.
But I don't think Flynn is bad at all and he might do well.

Let's all hope we don't have to find out though, either way.

Nick Collins wasn't at practice today. The Packers only had 2 total safeties and one of them was Jarrett Bush. How dangerously thin are we back there right now with Burnett and Bigby out?

TitleTown088
12-02-2010, 12:39 AM
http://prod.static.packers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2010/11-November/bie_9154--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

Never took Woodson for a guy with much of a sense of humor.

GB12
12-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Didn't even notice Woodson until I read what you wrote. I thought it was Flynn trying to do the Rodgers thing.

BloodBrother
12-02-2010, 02:34 AM
I think Flynn has taken over and tries to get in the back of all the captain photos. Funny to see Woodson there

PACKmanN
12-02-2010, 02:56 AM
odds the Packers finish with a 12-4, or a 11-5 record and not make the playoffs? would that be a first? what time is the protest if it does happen?

J-Mike88
12-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Great piece here about THE DRIVE Rodgers orchestrated on Sunday.
http://packersinsider.com/2010/12/espn-a-drive-for-the-ages-forgotten/

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine
PLAYOFF SIMILATOR

J-Mike88
12-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Wow, my predictions would have The 10-6 Bucs edging out the 10-6 Eagles for the #6 seed, based on tiebreaker I guess.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

I have us going 4-1, losing at NE but winning the 3 home games, and at Detroit.

It has us getting the #2 seed and important bye, edging out the Giants.

GB12
12-02-2010, 03:04 PM
I got 3 seed at 11-5 with the Bears missing the playoffs. But change week 17 to a Bears win and we switch places.

It looks like we're going to have to go at least 4-1 and beat the Bears to win the division. And at least 3-2 and beat the Giants for a wildcard.

Sportsfan486
12-02-2010, 07:08 PM
odds the Packers finish with a 12-4, or a 11-5 record and not make the playoffs? would that be a first? what time is the protest if it does happen?

Patriots missed the playoffs with 11-5 record two years ago. Pretty sure it's either statistically impossible or astronomically improbably that a team misses the playoffs at 12-4.

If the Packers drop either of these next two games we're very realistically looking at missing the playoffs. Must wins.

J-Mike88
12-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Heard this from my aunt, and saw it on another forum where they said it's true (which is believable because he's a great person), so:

A friend has a friend who is a retired teacher and who is involved with the Boys & Girls Club.

Someone from the Packer or ganization called this guy at the Boys & Girls Club and told them to bring 75 kids from the Boys and Girls Club to the new bowling alley in Howard and they would get soda, pizza and free bowling.

They got a second call upping the amount of kids to 100. When they all got there, there were about 15 Packers players there to visit and bowl with them.

When they were done, all the kids were each given $100 to go to Shopko for Christmas shopping, accompanied by the Packer players.. And it was all funded by Aaron Rodgers!

There was no publicity, no television cameras. We are lucky to have him in Green Bay .

Sportsfan486
12-03-2010, 01:20 AM
When they were done, all the kids were each given $100 to go to Shopko for Christmas shopping, accompanied by the Packer players.. And it was all funded by Aaron Rodgers!

There was no publicity, no television cameras. We are lucky to have him in Green Bay .

Dude. Aaron Rodgers is beyond cool. Let's go over some things.

1) The staches. One sexy *****.
2) The awesome passiness. Always good from a QB.
3) The complete non-controversy. Has this guy ever said a single thing wrong or controversial in an interview? Even the Favre stuff he never said a thing and even that hilarious photo was him LAUGHING AT A JOKE from Favre.
4) ******* rad ass dude. I totally buy this story. You watch his interviews, you read the transcripts of what he said, dude is ******* cool.
5) Isn't a whiny ***** like most QBs these days. Sure, he complains to officials when they no-call him getting helmet-to-helmet 8 times a game but you look at Brady, Cutler, Rivers, Schaub, even Manning occasionally being a little ***** and you just don't see Rodgers doing that.

I love Rodgers. He's amazing. I want to have his babies.

How lucky are we to, potentially, have back to back elite franchise QBs? I mean, we can diss Favre all we want but let's face it; while it sucked watching those games he threw away it was absolutely magical watching those games where we trailed but he was throwing it well and you knew, 100%, we were going to win. You could go to sleep before the game was over, down by 6 with 2:00 left, and sleep like a baby 'cuz you woke up the next day with a W marked on the schedule. Rodgers is much more consistent in his play and while he doesn't give off that aura yet, he's got plenty of time.

roughrider30
12-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Dude. Aaron Rodgers is beyond cool. Let's go over some things.

1) The staches. One sexy *****.
2) The awesome passiness. Always good from a QB.
3) The complete non-controversy. Has this guy ever said a single thing wrong or controversial in an interview? Even the Favre stuff he never said a thing and even that hilarious photo was him LAUGHING AT A JOKE from Favre.
4) ******* rad ass dude. I totally buy this story. You watch his interviews, you read the transcripts of what he said, dude is ******* cool.
5) Isn't a whiny ***** like most QBs these days. Sure, he complains to officials when they no-call him getting helmet-to-helmet 8 times a game but you look at Brady, Cutler, Rivers, Schaub, even Manning occasionally being a little ***** and you just don't see Rodgers doing that.

I love Rodgers. He's amazing. I want to have his babies.

How lucky are we to, potentially, have back to back elite franchise QBs? I mean, we can diss Favre all we want but let's face it; while it sucked watching those games he threw away it was absolutely magical watching those games where we trailed but he was throwing it well and you knew, 100%, we were going to win. You could go to sleep before the game was over, down by 6 with 2:00 left, and sleep like a baby 'cuz you woke up the next day with a W marked on the schedule. Rodgers is much more consistent in his play and while he doesn't give off that aura yet, he's got plenty of time.

Definitely not true. Rodgers let Kornheiser and Jaws have it pretty good awhile back. I thought it was hilarious, but Rodgers is not afraid to stir up a little controversy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/08/aaron-rodgers-calls-tony-kornheiser-stupid-dumb-and-terrible/

J-Mike88
12-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Definitely not true. Rodgers let Kornheiser and Jaws have it pretty good awhile back. I thought it was hilarious, but Rodgers is not afraid to stir up a little controversy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/08/aaron-rodgers-calls-tony-kornheiser-stupid-dumb-and-terrible/
True, but that was pretty minor there. And Jaws & Korny know Rodgers had some valid points there.
I understand chip-on-your-shoulder mentality.

Sportsfan486
12-03-2010, 10:09 PM

Meh, I might have blinders on but I'm not sure I'd call that controversial. Is anyone surprised that Korn did an interview where he was completely unprepared and unknowledageable? I think he's funny but I don't think he's a sports expert.

And the Jaws thing? He even says good things about him but he's pissed that he disses him before the draft. And obviously what Jaws said WAS wrong since Rodgers is now one of the NFLs top QBs.

Honest and maybe a bit brutal but not terribly controversial. And I absolutely love that interview, anyway, ESPN has really gotten too big and full of itself.

And also, the dude has a huge right to lay some verbal smackdown on all those so-called experts that randomly started dropping Rodgers leading up to the draft and dissing him while saying Smith was the better prospect. I never understood how people saw Alex Smith as a superior prospect and hey, I bet you none of those people he dissed came back and said a word bad about him because they know they majorly screwed the pooch with the Smith over Rodgers call. One of the all-time dumb draft switches (remember, there was a period of time before the draft where people really thought SF was taking Rodgers #1 as the hometown guy with better fundamentals and technique. I even think there was a pretty solid report on ESPN claiming it was a done deal a week or so before the draft.)

Anyone see that Scott has us taking Von Miller? Droooooool. That would make me so freaking happy. Whenever he's been healthy he's been BEASTLY against good competition. Absolutely could be a DeMarcus Ware type of prospect. Love him and to continue building that D seems wise.

PACKmanN
12-03-2010, 11:27 PM

I think Rodgers was too cocky, for his own good, at the start of the season; we saw it affect his play into the preseason and the season, but he's starting to lose his massive ego and become the guy he was the last two years.

drowe
12-04-2010, 07:14 AM
We're just lucky to be football fans in general now. QB Greatness. When I first started watching football, it was Montana, Marino, Elway, Kelly, Esiason (yes, i'm putting him on this list), Moon. Once the mid to late 90s rolled around, QB play was on the decline. We had Favre, Young, Aikman...but, it wasn't the same.

Now, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Drew Brees are tearing it up year after year and Rodgers, Rivers and Ryan are established as the next wave of greatness.

Add in guys like Manning and Roethliesberger who have already won Superbowls.

Then add in the real young dudes like Sanchez, Freeman and Bradford.

This is one of the best times in history for QB play.

cvv84
12-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Brandon Underwood has switched back to safety again.

umphrey
12-04-2010, 12:37 PM
I think the coaches gave up on Underwood and Pat Lee. They seem to like Lee as a special teamer so he could stick around there. Another position change for Underwood only strengthens my belief he'll be cut next year. They probably did it because we go through strong safeties faster than toilet paper though.

TitleTown088
12-04-2010, 04:44 PM
I think the coaches gave up on Underwood and Pat Lee. They seem to like Lee as a special teamer so he could stick around there. Another position change for Underwood only strengthens my belief he'll be cut next year. They probably did it because we go through strong safeties faster than toilet paper though.

Or it shows the Packers are thin at safety and deep at CB?

Sportsfan486
12-04-2010, 05:17 PM
We're just lucky to be football fans in general now. QB Greatness. When I first started watching football, it was Montana, Marino, Elway, Kelly, Esiason (yes, i'm putting him on this list), Moon. Once the mid to late 90s rolled around, QB play was on the decline. We had Favre, Young, Aikman...but, it wasn't the same..

Very true. You could legitimately make the case that neither Aikman nor Young were as good as any of Tom Brady, Drew Brees, or Peyton Manning are now.

If I was taking the best 3 year span of those six QBs I'd go..
Favre (I hate myself for this but he was clearly the best player from 95 - 97)
Manning
Brady
Brees
Young
Aikman

And I would say give Rodgers and Rivers another year and they'll both probably pop up above Young and Aikman, neither of whom ever impressed me as much as the overall talent of those teams did.

umphrey
12-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Or it shows the Packers are thin at safety and deep at CB?

That was my next sentence...

Him and Pat Lee both still look like very athletic college corners out there. Lee has special teams and a former second round grade to fall back on. Underwood has...a 7th round grade, never seen him on special teams, and a scandal. He'll stick around only long enough to see us find another Sam Shields or draft another Pat Lee. That or he's Jarrett Bush's successor.

J-Mike88
12-04-2010, 06:59 PM
If I was taking the best 3 year span of those six QBs I'd go..

Favre (I hate myself for this but he was clearly the best player from 95 - 97)
Manning
Brady
Brees
Young
Aikman

And I would say give Rodgers and Rivers another year and they'll both probably pop up above Young and Aikman, neither of whom ever impressed me as much as the overall talent of those teams did.
I think Aikman is one of the most overrated QBs of all-time. He was on a Pro-Bowl team, with the best OL ever assembled perhaps.
His RB was an all-time great one, his top WR another Hall of Famer.
And oh by the way, his defense was great too, adding Hall of Famers like Deion Sanders and Charles Haley to an already strong unit.

What happened to Aikman when his OL wasn't great? He got battered around and didn't produce, like an Alex Smith or David Carr, two other #1 picks.

What happened to Aikman when Irvin got hurt late in his career? He certainly didn't turn another WR into a great one like our damn guy did going from Sharpe to Brooks to Freeman to Driver to Walker (briefly) to Jennings.

My point is Aikman reaped all the benefits while things were great around him, and got 3 rings because of all that.

He never could carry his team to anywhere close to that without all those great parts around him.

I think tons of QBs could have out-produced Aikman if in his shoes for those 6-8 seasons.

Remember, he was washed up at a relatively early age compared to Favre and Manning. I think Aikman was only drafted 2 seasons before Favre was actually.

drowe
12-05-2010, 08:03 AM
I think Aikman is one of the most overrated QBs of all-time. He was on a Pro-Bowl team, with the best OL ever assembled perhaps.
His RB was an all-time great one, his top WR another Hall of Famer.
And oh by the way, his defense was great too, adding Hall of Famers like Deion Sanders and Charles Haley to an already strong unit.

What happened to Aikman when his OL wasn't great? He got battered around and didn't produce, like an Alex Smith or David Carr, two other #1 picks.

What happened to Aikman when Irvin got hurt late in his career? He certainly didn't turn another WR into a great one like our damn guy did going from Sharpe to Brooks to Freeman to Driver to Walker (briefly) to Jennings.

My point is Aikman reaped all the benefits while things were great around him, and got 3 rings because of all that.

He never could carry his team to anywhere close to that without all those great parts around him.

I think tons of QBs could have out-produced Aikman if in his shoes for those 6-8 seasons.

Remember, he was washed up at a relatively early age compared to Favre and Manning. I think Aikman was only drafted 2 seasons before Favre was actually.

totally agree on Aikman. the HOF lost a lot of points when he made it on the first ballot. Not a big Steve Young fan either. Mostly because I think he is a tremendous douchebag...and I was sooooooo sick of the Cowboys and 9ers in the 90s.

Hawk
12-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Aikman only had one year where he had more than 20 TDs

TitleTown088
12-05-2010, 04:05 PM
That was my next sentence...

Haha my fault. Sorry, need to read better.

GB12
12-05-2010, 04:20 PM
As much as it's gonna hurt, we should be Vikings fans for the next 3 weeks.

Also should probably start rooting for Atlanta. We're not going to be able to jump them since they have the tiebreaker, so it'd be nice to see them take down Tampa Bay and New Orleans.

J-Mike88
12-05-2010, 04:30 PM
As much as it's gonna hurt, we should be Vikings fans for the next 3 weeks.

Also should probably start rooting for Atlanta. We're not going to be able to jump them since they have the tiebreaker, so it'd be nice to see them take down Tampa Bay and New Orleans.
Yep, Vikings have the Giants, Bears, and Eagles coming up.
Look at the Bears luck again..... they got the Panthers backup QB.
They got Miami's #3 QB and Brandon Marshall went out.
They got the Lions #3 QB today.
Now they might get Minnesota with Tarvarris Jackson?

Who knows what happens with Minny as they just killed the Bills, who had been very competitive lately.

Let's hope the Vikings get on a roll the next 3 weeks, help us out, and move themselves towards mediocracy and the middle of the draft.

GB12
12-05-2010, 04:40 PM
You know, if we can't get a bye it might actually be better to be a wild card team anyway. Yeah we wouldn't get a home game, but we'd play St. Louis instead of Philadelphia. Week 17 could be a win-still kind of win for the Packers and Bears. Winner gets a bye, loser plays the NFC West.

umphrey
12-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Anyone know the circumstances that would lead us to a wildcard berth and play the NFC West the first playoff game? That would almost be better than a bye. Assuming we don't have any major injuries in that game, it would keep us sharp. I remember a lot of years where teams with first round byes come out flat and lose the first game. Might be better to play a warm up against a cup cake team.

GB12
12-05-2010, 06:02 PM
The 5 seed will play the West, so the best record of non-division winners. For that to be us we'd probably have to win the next three and then lose to the Bears.

And Atlanta better pull this one out. I don't want Tampa hanging around any longer.

J-Mike88
12-05-2010, 06:15 PM
FYI: Matty Ice Ryan is currently 14-32 with 2 interceptions playing against the creamsicle Tampa Bay Buccaneers right now. If Tampa Bay knocks them off, I think that will hurt our wildcard prospects.

Also, the Lions and Bengals let us down today.
What this all means is we need to take care of business and beat the Lions, Giants, and Bears at the least.

Sportsfan486
12-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Okay, one game at a time. Absolute must win next week against the Lions. We only won by 2 earlier this year. We lose and we're probably not playoff bound considering our remaining schedule. That week 17 matchup suddenly looks pretty scary.

Sportsfan486
12-06-2010, 03:37 AM
By the way, the Packers are the only team in the NFL with more than a +77 point differential.

.......we're at +121. .................................................. .........

J-Mike88
12-06-2010, 10:46 AM
By the way, the Packers are the only team in the NFL with more than a +77 point differential.

.......we're at +121. .................................................. .........
Yep, further pains me that the -12 is what cost us 4 wins.
At least we're in every game, have been for about 13 months now.
I still can't believe we lost to Washington & Miami. They're s***.
We outplayed Chicago and Atlanta too.
We should be 12-0.

J-Mike88
12-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Jenkins news not good, but not terrible yet.....

From Mike McCarthy's Monday news conference:
Cullen Jenkins' calf injury will keep him "out a couple of weeks."

McCarthy said Jenkins, who had 2 sacks Sunday against the Niners, re-injured his existing injury & definitely wouldn't play this week. Pressed on the issue, he said it could be a couple of weeks. (We've seen those types of things become IR guys in the past, so I'm worried until I see #77 back out there)

He said the medical staff thought it wasn't as bad as it could have been. It's not season-ending (yeah, at this point...cross your fingers).

FB Korey Hall (knee sprain) is most likely out this week. There goes another valuable special teams guy. The Lions have a good return man in Logan. The week after is New England with the dangerous Tate. Let's hope special teams are not a factor in either game.

BloodBrother
12-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Having him out "a couple weeks" basically means he will miss the remainder of the regular season games. That blows, but its par for the course this year. With the Packers luck with injuries this season, I was expecting to read today that he would be placed on IR with a torn calf muscle or some crap like that

J-Mike88
12-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Having him out "a couple weeks" basically means he will miss the remainder of the regular season games. That blows, but its par for the course this year. With the Packers luck with injuries this season, I was expecting to read today that he would be placed on IR with a torn calf muscle or some crap like that
That was by fearful expectation too, for this year.

Charles Woodson 7-minute interview with Fox Sports' Jay Glazer.
Some good stuff from Chuck here.
http://msn.foxsports.com/video?vid=c4131ef4-e027-4415-95db-e8364d324ac6&from=foxsports_en-us_videocentral

umphrey
12-06-2010, 03:24 PM

That's made for a pretty un entertaining year for the 3 hours I spend watching them play every week...

It's either a blow out that's over in 2 quarters or you watch them just hang on to the edge of a cliff only to suffer a crushing defeat in the last 10 seconds.

Boston
12-06-2010, 04:09 PM
That's made for a pretty un entertaining year for the 3 hours I spend watching them play every week...

It's either a blow out that's over in 2 quarters or you watch them just hang on to the edge of a cliff only to suffer a crushing defeat in the last 10 seconds.

Right, so you can sit here and tell me you haven't been entertained watching the Packers so far this year...?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DIEqXzV05wc/S1Y5mHKwAEI/AAAAAAAAAIA/LfjVMAUiJSU/s640/maximus_areyounotentertained.jpg

RockJock07
12-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Yep, further pains me that the -12 is what cost us 4 wins.
At least we're in every game, have been for about 13 months now.
I still can't believe we lost to Washington & Miami. They're s***.
We outplayed Chicago and Atlanta too.
We should be 12-0.

yeah, those losses to Wash and Miami are really disappointing. I still really don't understand the Miami loss considering it was at home.

I think those 2 loses the offense was still trying to figure out if they were going to attempt to have a running game and that put them behind the 8 ball so to speak.

It sucks but I guess I'd rather have them peak now and get into the playoffs. They just need to get in then worry about who they're playing. Need to win big this week, shouldn't let Det hang around

drowe
12-07-2010, 11:56 AM
The Bears loss bothers me the most. We were driving for the win when that stupid fumble happened. That one play could have a gigantic impact on the season.

TitleTown088
12-07-2010, 01:32 PM
The Bears loss bothers me the most. We were driving for the win when that stupid fumble happened. That one play could have a gigantic impact on the season.

No worries. I'll be surprised if the bears win 1 of their final 4 games. :)

J-Mike88
12-07-2010, 06:23 PM
No worries. I'll be surprised if the bears win 1 of their final 4 games. :)
I hope you're right but people keep under-estimating the Bears.
Their defense is legit solid.
Their special teams is legit lethal.
That's 2/3 of the game right there.
Their offense is even playing better now.
Their OL has stabilized.
And they've been lucky as hell, horse shoes up their asses, all year long with A) refs calls, B) facing opponents 2nd & 3rd string QBs, and C) their own health.

I think the Bears will beat the Jets and Vikings.
We need them to lose to New England, and of course us.

J-Mike88
12-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Al Harris has been placed on IR by the Dolphins.
Also, they have brought in Allen Barbre for a tryout, along with 3 other players.

Amazing, both Kampman and Harris ended up back on IR.
Even our old guys are getting hurt this season, even Favre. My goodness.

drowe
12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
GOOD NEWS!

Charles Woodson left practice with an injury per Jason Wilde.

afsdk;gha'rfgnm'q

senormysterioso
12-08-2010, 12:13 PM
GOOD NEWS!

afsdk;gha'rfgnm'q

Maybe that's good, he barely practiced at all last year with the toe injury and was DPOY.

BloodBrother
12-08-2010, 01:14 PM
McCarthy said he sprained his ankle and is being evaluated now. What the hell, man

gonna have to start puttign the entire team in hyperbaric chambers and leave them there for the entire week.

TitleTown088
12-08-2010, 02:29 PM
GOOD NEWS!

afsdk;gha'rfgnm'q

Don't forget Clifton having a concussion and injuries to both knees...

Then again, that's probably just us "exaggerating Green Bay injuries" that the rest of the board reminds us of.

J-Mike88
12-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Bad news if Clifton can't go.
Do they put TJ at left tackle and leave Bulaga at RT where he has been getting comfortable?
Or do they put the new guy at RT and move Bulgs over to LT?

Scouting report on the Lions: http://packersinsider.com/?p=2814
Calvin Johnson has beaten Charles Woodson like a drum.

GB12
12-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Bulaga would play LT, Lang on the right.

BloodBrother
12-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Woodson's sprain doesn't sound serious or anything. It wasn't like he was on the ground in pain for all to see. Players didnt' even know he left practice. Expect a clearer update tomorrow, apparently

J-Mike88
12-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Bulaga would play LT, Lang on the right.
Did McCarthy say that today, or is that your guess?

GB12
12-08-2010, 08:12 PM
A very confident guess. Although I think he might have said that in the past.

J-Mike88
12-08-2010, 10:05 PM
If there's no work stoppage, this is who the Packers will play next year.
There are only 2 teams that are yet to be determined.

But if we win the division, we will get that division's winner. If we're 2nd place, we'll get that division's 2nd place team.

I'm not gonna list the 6 divisional games as those are a given.

HOME
New Orleans
Tampa Bay [good... we lost to them in TB in 09 & 08]
Denver
Kansas City
NFC West (Seattle or St Louis)

AWAY
Atlanta (damn, why not at home)
Carolina (easy ticket to get for Packer fans)
Oakland (dangerous for visiting fans)
San Diego (Rivers vs Rodgers)
NFC East (Philly or NYG)

GB12
12-09-2010, 01:13 AM
Speaking of Clifton, he leads the NFC Pro Bowl voting for tackles. Woodson leads CBs, and Matthews leads LBs. Rodgers is 5th among all NFL players, and second to Vick among NFC QBs.

BloodBrother
12-09-2010, 02:40 AM

But if we win the division, we will get that division's winner. If we're 2nd place, we'll get that division's 2nd place team.

HOME
New Orleans
Denver
Kansas City

AWAY
NFC East (Philly or NYG)

Christ, they have to play @ PHI all the damn time it seems. They did finally get them in GB in 2007, though.

tjsunstein
12-09-2010, 03:29 AM

HOME
New Orleans
Denver
Kansas City

AWAY
NFC East (Philly or NYG)
In Phi or at NYG, I'll try to be there.

bigboiajhawk
12-09-2010, 12:52 PM
I was just checking Jsonline and I was reading some of the blog posts about the Packers and I stumbled upon this one with a website of a painter. This guy paints sports pictures, and he recently did one of clay matthews. It is really good and Clay even autographed some of them. Here is the website.

http://coleengoralski.com/products-page/sports-artist-andy-goralski/

umphrey
12-09-2010, 05:41 PM
We need to get a big lead on Detroit and rest players so badly. This 3 game stretch after Detroit is going to make or break our season. Why can't Detroit still suck as bad as they have the past 10 years. I'm still very confident in a win but they are a threat now and it might be a gritty game, and it's definitely not a sure thing.

umphrey
12-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Right, so you can sit here and tell me you haven't been entertained watching the Packers so far this year...?
Hey, just saying it's been a really tough season to watch. I get more emotionally involved with the team than is rational and get stuck in such a crappy mood when we lose by a field goal with 10 seconds left. It's not any fun reading about another starter and a player I love to watch tearing up his knee, which has been happening on a weekly basis (usually more than once a week) this year.

J-Mike88
12-09-2010, 09:39 PM
We need to get a big lead on Detroit and rest players so badly. This 3 game stretch after Detroit is going to make or break our season. Why can't Detroit still suck as bad as they have the past 10 years. I'm still very confident in a win but they are a threat now and it might be a gritty game, and it's definitely not a sure thing.
Well, Tom Brady had a perfect passer rating against them on Thanksgiving.... they scored like 45 on the Lions.

I honestly don't think they have more weapons than we do, even with us missing J-Mike.

Megatron just scares the hell out of me as he always scores on us. And Logan their return guy.... he's good, and you all know how incompetent our special teams coverage units are, especially losing so many guys injured off those units.

Packers 51
Lions 27

J-Mike88
12-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Anyone else catch Rodgers on ESPN's Rome is Burning yesterday? Not sure if there's a link to the video, so I will MANUALLY TYPE what he said to Rome's questions:

On whether he has moved beyond getting screwed in the draft and surviving the circus surrounding Brett Favre’s jungle act: “I feel like this season has been kind of closing the chapter of maybe my early years of my career. It’s been a great start. I’m blessed to be in Green Bay. Everything that’s gone on here both positively and negatively, I think I’ve grown into the kind of person I am today and the player I am today, I’ve learned a lot and really grown on and off the field, so everything that happened definitely turned out to be a positive. I’m glad I’m here and I think we’re kind of closing that chapter of the early years of my career and hopefully we can reach all of our goals this season and for many more years to come.”

On whether the Pack is Super Bowl good: “I kind of stay away from that talk, realizing that we’re only going into Week 14 here. We’re a game back in the division. Our first goal is to win NFC North. We have a tough stretch in front of us. We’ve got to go to Detroit this weekend, we have New England and the Giants and then finish up with the Bears, so it’s a tough stretch these last four weeks and that’s our immediate goal and after that, anything can happen.”

On whether the Pack can achieve their goals with their current running game: “Well, we had a better game this last week. James Starks really stepped up. He did a very good job for us. 73 yards for him and John Kuhn has been a steady guy for us, plugging him in in spots in the red zone, catching the ball out of the backfield. Brandon Jackson obviously and Demitri Nance are going to have to be part of that running game as well. And then I’ve done a little bit myself of moving around the pocket and getting some positive yards. But I still feel like, even if the weather gets real bad here in Green Bay that we can still use that short passing game as extended handoffs and still pass the ball effectively.”

On Donald Driver’s 61-yard touchdown catch against San Francisco on Sunday: “One of the most amazing plays I’ve ever been a part of. Just a tribute to Donald, 35 years old and still playing at a really high level for us.”

On the Packers’ throwback powerball uniforms: “Uh, well you know what, I was excited to be in the throwbacks. I like the color scheme, a similar color scheme to what I wore at Cal and in high school. I wasn’t overly crazy about the circle on the front of the jersey. And if they really wanted to be retro, maybe no name on the back , and also the shoes, you know, we’re blue, with yellow, with brown helmets and black and white shoes just didn’t really fit the whole get-up there. … but thankfully we were able to overcome our uniforms on Sunday.”

On why he’s been playing so well over the past month: “I think it’s a conscious effort of Mike finding ways to get me in a good rhythm early in the game. We’ve been doing a great job of using our short passing game as kind of an extended handoff. And the other big reason is Greg Jennings. He’s had an incredible stretch here the last four, five games of just putting up big numbers and making big-time plays for us. I think definitely more of an effort on my part to get him going early in the game to find ways to get him the ball over the top and he’s made some incredible plays for us the last four, five weeks and we’ve kind of gotten into a little bit of rhythm offensively.”

Sportsfan486
12-10-2010, 04:50 PM
34 to 20, Packers. Just feel like it'll be a game where we get a lead, they come back a bit, and we have to keep rolling through the 4th to make sure we take it.

Oh, wait, Stanton is starting? Unless we let him run for scores I'm changing my prediction to 48 to 10 on the power of two defensives touchdowns, six sacks, and 4 ints.

Favre4ever
12-10-2010, 07:58 PM
I want to see Starks improve from his first game. The Niners are not a bad team against the run and Patrick Willis bounced on Starks on that 16 yard run. With Jackson back there teams dont even respect the run but when will see that big body back there they have to think twice. I also want to see Starks catch the ball out of the backfield and pass pro. If he does that, then look out because this offense will be hard to stop.

J-Mike88
12-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong here:

Even if the Bears lose this week, and we win, they will still be technically ahead of us for the division title because of their head to head win over us.
And even if they lose another game in week 15 or 16, and we win both (NE & NYG)... to move a game ahead of them, they still can beat us in week 17 to tie us up, and will beat us because they will win that tiebreaker #1.

So really, even if we make up 2 games over them over the next 3 weeks before that showdown on January 2nd, it doesn't matter that much because THAT game 17 is for all the marbles divisionally-speaking.

We just must be within 1 game of them before that game.

Sure, it would be nice if we made up 3 games by then, but for us to go 3-0 and them go 0-3 is astronomically unlikely.

Bottom line is week 17 is a MUST WIN for us to win the division, and get a possible bye. Damn lucky ass Bears. All year long. Lucky to win the season-opener, divisional game vs Detroit, and that set them off on the right path.
Lucky to beat us thanks to 3 critical suspicious penalties on us on TD or Int plays... plus the magic Jones fumble that hit the invisible forcefield along the sideline.

TitleTown088
12-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here:

Even if the Bears lose this week, and we win, they will still be technically ahead of us for the division title because of their head to head win over us.
And even if they lose another game in week 15 or 16, and we win both (NE & NYG)... to move a game ahead of them, they still can beat us in week 17 to tie us up, and will beat us because they will win that tiebreaker #1.

I could be wrong as well, but I don't think it goes for the head to head win. I think it's either the best division record or conference record.

princefielder28
12-11-2010, 05:24 PM
I could be wrong as well, but I don't think it goes for the head to head win. I think it's either the best division record or conference record.

Head-to-head is a determinant...as long as the Bears are one game within the Packers come Week 17 then they can win the division; they'd just have to beat the Packers to do so

Sportsfan486
12-11-2010, 05:31 PM

Head-to-Head is always first, except in cases with more than 2 teams (unless, in that case, one team has beaten all the other teams; then they win.)

As long as we beat the Lions, Giants, Bears and the Bears haven't made up another game on us we make the playoffs thanks to a better Conference record. We REALLY want the Bears to lose to Minny, that would allow us to lose any game except the Lions and, assuming we're only a game down, beat the Bears and make the playoffs.

Lots of scenarios.

bearsfan_51
12-11-2010, 05:36 PM
The Packers still control their own destiny, as do the Bears. The difference is that you could beat us and still lose the division, it's incredibly unlikely that we beat you and don't win the division.

Sportsfan486
12-11-2010, 05:43 PM
The Packers still control their own destiny, as do the Bears. The difference is that you could beat us and still lose the division, it's incredibly unlikely that we beat you and don't win the division.

Only possible if we win the next three and you lose the next three, yeah?

Damn.

And neither of those is likely at all.

TitleTown088
12-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Head-to-head is a determinant...as long as the Bears are one game within the Packers come Week 17 then they can win the division; they'd just have to beat the Packers to do so

That's right. I don't know what I was thinking there.

umphrey
12-12-2010, 01:40 AM
There's still 4 games to be played and about a million scenarios, but here's the bottom line:
If we lose to the Bears we can forget about winning the division
If we lose to the Giants it's going to be hard to get a wild card
If we lose both we are pretty much screwed

There are at least 4 teams that control their own destiny. I'm pretty sure the Packers, Bears, Eagles, and Giants all do.

The Giants game might actually be more important than the Bears game depending on how things play out, but they are both extremely critical. NE not so much. The Lions are extremely important too but I kind of chalked that up as a win (if we lose we probably deserve to call it a season anyway).

Here's why: for example if we lose the Giants game and beat the Bears, the Bears would still probably be 1 game up on us or if we are tied then it hurts us in tie breakers in common opponents. That puts us in a position where we would likely lose a tiebreaker in the division and a tiebreaker to the Giants. Luckily we would still own a tiebreaker against the Eagles, I think. If we beat the Giants and lose to the Bears, we are probably ahead on the totem pole against the Giants and Eagles for the wildcard, and would have a pretty good chance of getting in that way.

Somewhat anticlimactic I know, but the Giants game is probably more important. Also, we are Vikings fans tomorrow when NYG goes to Minnesota. I know, hard, damn near impossible, but it helps us if Brent and the Viqueens win tomorrow.

J-Mike88
12-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Also, we are Vikings fans tomorrow when NYG goes to Minnesota. I know, hard, damn near impossible, but it helps us if Brent and the Viqueens win tomorrow.
We are big Vikings fans tomorrow (Monday) and the next 2 games after that (vs Bears, @ Philly).

The Vikings played great last week for Leslie Frazier, and I'm hoping they keep playing that well.... basically like they played all last year.

Still not sure which QB gives them the best chance to beat those teams though.

umphrey
12-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Still not sure which QB gives them the best chance to beat those teams though.
However people want to spin it, it's still a choice between a giant doosh and a turd sandwich

GB12
12-12-2010, 10:32 AM

For that to happen the Bears would have to win all of their next three and we'd have to lose two of three.

umphrey
12-12-2010, 11:56 AM
The channel that the Packer game is on has been a black screen for the past 15 minutes. I swear on my unborn children that if they screw up the broadcast and I miss the game I will cancel it tomorrow morning. Probably demand a refund as well for them not providing the service as stated in the contract.

jackalope
12-12-2010, 12:03 PM
The channel that the Packer game is on has been a black screen for the past 15 minutes. I swear on my unborn children that if they screw up the broadcast and I miss the game I will cancel it tomorrow morning. Probably demand a refund as well for them not providing the service as stated in the contract.

I have the same thing here in Madison. No FOX for Charter.

umphrey
12-12-2010, 12:06 PM
If anyone has a stream PLEASE send it to me. I am watching the ******* Bengals vs Steelers right now and it makes me want to murder someone.

PackerLegend
12-12-2010, 12:07 PM

******* **** man. Mines been ******* frozen for over 30min an thats just when I turned it on. Now im ******* missing the game an all thats on my screen is some *** frozen next to an ATM. Motherfuck ******* **** **** **** ****

PackerLegend
12-12-2010, 12:08 PM
If anyone has a stream PLEASE send it to me. I am watching the ******* Bengals vs Steelers right now and it makes me want to murder someone.

Me 2 PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

umphrey
12-12-2010, 12:37 PM
omfg greg jennings just took an easy as you can possibly get 60 yard TD perfect pass from Rodgers and handed it to the Lions cb

umphrey
12-12-2010, 12:38 PM
jesus christ it went off his helmet into the defenders hands who was beat by 3 steps

jackalope
12-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Alright, back to football. God that looked bad from GJ.

Sportsfan486
12-12-2010, 12:44 PM
jesus christ it went off his helmet into the defenders hands who was beat by 3 steps

I cannot believe Jennings just did that. Wow.

tjsunstein
12-12-2010, 12:46 PM
He makes that catch 999/1000 times.

Sportsfan486
12-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Bye playoffs!!!

Rodgers now a constant concussion risk?

Why the **** did he not slide? That's ********.

FUYCKJASDGAJ;J

umphrey
12-12-2010, 01:24 PM
for ***** sake don't go head first when you're 10 yards past the 1st down marker on 2nd down anyway and it's tied in the 2nd quarter

princefielder28
12-12-2010, 01:32 PM
First team to score seems to be the one that'll win this game...

PackerLegend
12-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Matt Flynn show. Hopefully he lights **** up!

Sportsfan486
12-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Matt Flynn show. Hopefully he lights **** up!

You mean hopefully we give Starks 20 second half carries? Me too.

umphrey
12-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Mike McCarthy has looked more pissed than I've ever seen him ever since that Greg Jennings **** up and he damn well should be. At least Matt Flynn vs. Drew Stanton is sort of interesting. It will either be a defensive win or Flynn will play well and the rest of the offense will actually realize Aaron Rodgers can't throw, catch, and run by himself (while making up for crappy blocking).

cvv84
12-12-2010, 01:42 PM
This looks like last week. We come out with seemingly no effort, tackle poorly, and now Rodgers is done for the day. We don't ever seem to be prepared lately. No game is a gimme and this is a must win for us. Hopefully we can at least put some points on the board because its not going to take much for either team to pull out a win today.

umphrey
12-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Last week looked like a blood sweat and tears effort compared to today. Rodgers is the only one who has consistently played at a high level lately. Even he seems to get discouraged and stop trusting his guys when they are dropping passes and false starting all around him.

PackerLegend
12-12-2010, 01:53 PM
You mean hopefully we give Starks 20 second half carries? Me too.

Ugh noooo. Our running game ****ing blows I rather have Flynn throw. That was probably worth a challenge but it was close.

Sportsfan486
12-12-2010, 01:54 PM
HOW DID YOU NOT CHALLENGE THAT?! It looked like he had his hands under it to me. HOW DID YOUY NPOTY EVEN CHALLENGE

ANOTHER CHALLENGE FUCKUP. ********.

cvv84
12-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Is it just me or do these announcers really like the Lions and want them to win?

badgerbacker
12-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Either that or they are just dumb. Especially at the beginning of the game they talked about the Lions getting stops and tackles when the Packers were on defense.

Sportsfan486
12-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Does McCarthy take his challenges home and **** them? Or is his one timeout so valuable that he can't afford to risk losing one for a TD?

And JENNINGS, WTF HAPPENED TO YOU BEING HOT? You have now dropped 2 TD passes, one of which bounced off your hands for an INT. Horrible game.

cvv84
12-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Wow, Flynn into double coverage. Sucks not having a run game.

PackerLegend
12-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Damn Matt you were doing good too. Why Matt why!?

Sportsfan486
12-12-2010, 02:09 PM
1st and Goal. Backup QB. Run formation What are we going to do? Pass. Incomplete. 2nd and Goal. Back up QB. Run formation. Pass. Intercepted.

cvv84
12-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Do the Packers still think this is the Charles Woodson of last season?

PackerLegend
12-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks Dave appreciate it!

princefielder28
12-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Do the Packers still think this is the Charles Woodson of last season?

They must be worried about Tramon's physicality against Calvin and would prefer having Chuck get burned every so often

Sportsfan486
12-12-2010, 02:19 PM
That was a bad defensive play on the Johnson reception. Even I knew they were going to him as soon as that safety creeped up.

Come on defense. Step up. Shut these bastards out.

cvv84
12-12-2010, 02:19 PM
They must be worried about Tramon's physicality against Calvin and would prefer having Chuck get burned every so often

At least give him help over the top. CJ has burned us repeatedly in the past. Oh well though, it was his 1st catch of the game and Rayner pooched one.

Sportsfan486
12-12-2010, 02:22 PM
LOL. Flynn didn't know the play. Hahahaha

Sportsfan486
12-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Come on.. don't do this.

Sportsfan486
12-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Oh playoffs, how nice you would have been.