PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83

EvilMonkey
07-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Harrell cut

cvv84
07-28-2011, 05:59 PM
7th round TE Ryan Taylor has signed

Ricky Elmore is reportedly very close to a deal as well

BloodBrother
07-28-2011, 06:20 PM
D.J. Williams agent also said that they are close to a deal with the Packers. Packers are also in talks with 6th round pick Caleb Schlauderaff

cvv84
07-28-2011, 06:34 PM
D.J. Williams is inked. There's 2 down, 8 to go!

PackerLegend
07-28-2011, 06:45 PM
D.J. Williams is inked. There's 2 down, 8 to go!

where did you see this?

jackalope
07-28-2011, 06:47 PM
where did you see this?

His agent tweeted it.

cvv84
07-28-2011, 06:52 PM
His agent tweeted it.

Correctus.

@NFL_Bridge Congrats to Packers TE DJ Williams @dj45williams on signing his 1st NFL contract today!!!

cvv84
07-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Caleb Schlauderaff now under contract. 3 of 10 draft picks signed. Possibly 4 of 10, haven't found a confirmation of Ricky Elmore's signing yet.

cvv84
07-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Brandon Jackson reaches agreement with the Browns on a 2-year, $4.5 million deal.

Gotta love that contract for our comp picks next year!

Korey Hall is also close to signing with the Saints.

BloodBrother
07-28-2011, 08:07 PM
ugh, being reported that Brandon Chillar might have a serious hamstring injury that could put his season in doubt. If this is true, you figure he's gone. Guy is beginning to get too injured and making too much for being on IR

Chillar hamstring injury could be a problem (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/126351908.html)

A source familiar with the team said that linebacker Brandon Chillar suffered a serious hamstring injury that could put his season in jeopardy. Another source said he knew there was an injury issue, but he didn't know the extent of it.

Chillar has not yet reported to camp and the Packers are waiting to examine him to see the extent of the injury.

princefielder28
07-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Jason Spitz to Jacksonville

Unbiased
07-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Jason Spitz to Jacksonville

Can you guys help us out? I always get Packers linemen confused. Sounds like solid G/C depth and wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he has to start sometimes?

J-Mike88
07-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Spitz is okay.
Coaches gave him many chances to earn a spot.... they wanted him to become our center, but Wells kept outperforming him.

As for Chillar, he's done if it's a serious hammy... those things suck. Too bad we couldn't have put his money into Barnett and kept those 3 plus Matthews out there.... I think Capers could have worked some magic with those 4 versatile LBers, but oh well.

I'm not concerned, or excited, about rookies signing. I expect that.
I am excited to see them in Packer gear on the field though!

Spitz, gone.
Colledge, gone.
Barnett, gone.
Korey Hall, soon to be gone?
BJax, gone.... behind Hillis and Hardesty.
Bigby, will be gone.
Cullen....
Jones....

Who else?

Will we get 4 nice comp picks next year?

BloodBrother
07-28-2011, 09:19 PM
If the Chillar news is correct and the Pack DO end up cutting him, they'll have seriously no depth at ILB other than the rookie they drafted(DJ Smith). Wilhelm is a FA I think. They do have Dyrial Biggs but I don't know who else

might need to dip into FA and find some ILB depth. There is also Brad Jones, who I'm not sure where they will play him this year. I've read that they will move him inside and I've read that he'll stay at outside. So IDK

PackerLegend
07-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Time to cut Chillar and resign Nick Barnett lol

bigboiajhawk
07-29-2011, 07:54 AM
Okay I just got done looking at the pictures that packersnews.com has of the Packer guys going into St. Norberts and a couple of things stood out.

Brian Bulaga looks to be in very good shape, he looks almost cut for weighing 315 pounds.

Starks looks ripped, as well as Quarless.

Howard Green looks like he atleast weighs 360 pounds, lol, he should just spend training camp getting in shape, we all know what he can do.

On another note, I wonder if Cullen Jenkins has priced himself way too high. Also, it doesn't appear that Minny is going after James Jones, now it looks like Malcolm Floyd.

Call me crazy but what if the Pack gave each of these guys one year deals with the very good shot of going back to a Superbowl. I know Jenkins probably wouldn't do it as he is most likely looking for a five year deal, but for Jones, he would have another season to make more plays and potentially raise his pay.

And the Packers just released Chillar, welcome D.J. Smith to being that 3rd guy. Supposedly Wilhelm was getting a new contract with the Pack, someone tweeted it, but I have not seen or heard anything else.

BloodBrother
07-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Chillar released. What's interesting is they haven't officially released Barnett yet. With Chillar, Poppinga, Harrell now confirmed to be released, perhaps they can keep Barnett

the ILB depth would really be thin without Barnett/Chillar

BloodBrother
07-29-2011, 08:17 AM
The Justin Harrell era is officially over. Easily TT's biggest flop of a pick

Along with Harrell, Poppinga is being released as well. So thats Barnett, Harrell and Poppinga who are gone for sure right now

So to recap so far:

Additions:
*Mason Crosby - re-signed to 5yr/14.75 mill with 3 mill guaranteed

Cuts:
* Brandon Chillar
* Justin Harrell
* Brady Poppinga
* Mark Tauscher
* Nick Barnett - not official, but likely

UFA:
*Cullen Jenkins - Saints, Cowboys and Denver the likely suitors right now
*James Jones - Talks of him being close to heading to Minny. GB "monitoring" his situation
*John Kuhn - Agent has had talks with GB. Expects to be back
*Atari Bigby - haven't heard a thing...he's obviously not back though
*Anthony Smith - Not much to report on so far

Players Lost:
*Daryn Colledge - signs 5yr/28 mill with Arizona. $8 mill guaranteed, $14 mill in first 2 years
*Brandon Jackson - signs 2yr/4.5 mill with Cleveland
*Jason Spitz - Signs 3 yr deal with Jacksonville
*Korey Hall - Signed with New Orleans Saints

Also confirmed list of the 15 UDFA that the Pack have signed

updating this thing as more and more news comes out. Anything I'm missing? I removed Barnett from the cuts list with the news of Chillar being released. Who knows what happens now

I expect Tauscher to either retire or be released as well

cvv84
07-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Can you guys help us out? I always get Packers linemen confused. Sounds like solid G/C depth and wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he has to start sometimes?

He looked like a surefire starter early in his career but injuries really set him back the past 2 years. He mostly played RG for us but he has center experience. He's descent but he's a guy you always look to upgrade.

cvv84
07-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Cobb just signed.

D.J. Smith now inked as well. Ironically he's our top backup at ILB right now.

Sherrod is reportedly close to signing as well.

So thats:
1) Ryan Taylor
2) D.J. Williams
3) Caleb Schlauderaff
4) Randall Cobb
5) D.J. Smith
6) Ricky Elmore

Possibly Ricky Elmore, still no confirmation. EDIT: Comfirmed he signed last night

cvv84
07-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Tausher officially cut

BloodBrother
07-29-2011, 03:53 PM
WAs expected, but still sad to see. Guy was a great player for a long time here. Definitely gonna be in the Packers HOF

Now, I wouldn't mind him sticking around as an assistant OL coach. I just don't think Campen is a good coach

Also, Pack have now shaved $17.25 million from these cuts

J-Mike88
07-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Wow, Phricking Philly just landed Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, and JUST NOW won the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes.
Jeeeezus.

Think they are gearing up to try and defend against us to get to the Super Bowl?
Atlanta needs to beef up their pass defense too.

BloodBrother
07-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Packers have signed 4th round pick Davon House

Full list of Packers cuts

Cuts:
* Brandon Chillar
* Justin Harrell
* Brady Poppinga
* Mark Tauscher
* Nick Barnett
* Michael Grego
* Curtis Young

cvv84
07-29-2011, 05:55 PM
1) Ryan Taylor
2) D.J. Williams
3) Caleb Schlauderaff
4) Randall Cobb
5) D.J. Smith
6) Ricky Elmore

House and Guy. Thats 8 of 10 signed.

Sherrod and Green only picks left.

BloodBrother
07-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Wow, Phricking Philly just landed Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, and JUST NOW won the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes.
Jeeeezus.

Think they are gearing up to try and defend against us to get to the Super Bowl?
Atlanta needs to beef up their pass defense too.

how will they defend against Jermichael Finley?

I still think the Pack and Saints are the class of the NFC

cvv84
07-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Korey Hall is also close to signing with the Saints.

Its official now.

Hall - Saints
Jackson - Browns
Colledge - Cardinals
Spitz - Jaguars

Coombser
07-29-2011, 07:26 PM
how will they defend against Jermichael Finley?

I still think the Pack and Saints are the class of the NFC

Philly's come right into it now they've got Aso - but if Jason Babin does an (unlikely) repeat of last year - then the D becomes scary good.

Atlanta's up there but I still think they lack a 'wow' factor on either side of the ball - having said that I do love the Ray Edwards signing.

BloodBrother
07-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Pack have signed their 1st round pick

@TomSilverstein: #Packers have signed 1st-round pick Derek Sherrod to a four-year, $6.6 M contract that includes $5.32 M in grnteed money, a NFL source said.

Think that just leaves 3rd round pick RB Alex Green unsigned

BloodBrother
07-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Philly's come right into it now they've got Aso - but if Jason Babin does an (unlikely) repeat of last year - then the D becomes scary good.

Atlanta's up there but I still think they lack a 'wow' factor on either side of the ball - having said that I do love the Ray Edwards signing.

ATL DEF won't be able to stop the Saints, Pack or Eagles passing attack IMO

I'm not sure I entirely trust Babin, and I have reservations about the Eagles LB corps, as well as their OL. Still, at least now they have the CB's to at least combat the Saints/Packers offenses

J-Mike88
07-30-2011, 12:00 AM
NFC Rankings:

Packers
Eagles
Bucs
Falcons
Saints
Bears
Giants
Lions
Cowboys
Redskins
Vikings
Panthers
NFC West

cvv84
07-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Pack have signed their 1st round pick

Think that just leaves 3rd round pick RB Alex Green unsigned

Green tweeted that he hopes to sign today. I wonder if there's something more to it though, like he's out of shape or injured or something.

@AGreen_39 Ever since HS I've had some sort of adversity to fight threw.. This is no different. Hopefully 2marro is a better day. Goodnight #motivated

What adversity would he have to fight through?

cvv84
07-30-2011, 10:10 AM

Honestly I think their moves are overrated. Asomugha is a good player but I'm never really thought of him as the best CB in the league. He had a few great seasons but he isn't a turnover maker, which is something defenses need. The Eagles run through DBs as well: Michael Lewis, Sheldon Brown, Lito Sheppard, Rod Hood, and I could continue. Point is they have a system that relies on their front 4. A front 4 with a weak DT corps and only one really star player in Trent Cole.

As for the Falcons, they have a solid front 7 but they're aging rapidly. The NEEDED Ray Edwards more than anything. He's a solid player but more of a jack of all trades master of none type of guy. He doesn't stand out and he isn't a difference maker. He's just enough to help take the all pressure off John Abraham. They're going to live and die on the heals of the offense - just like the Packers of a few seasons ago.

cvv84
07-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Packers draft pick's rookie #'s:

Derek Sherrod #78

Randall Cobb #18

Alex Green #20

Davon House #31

D.J. Williams #84

Caleb Schlauderaff #68

D.J. Smith #60

Ricky Elmore #57

Ryan Taylor #82

Lawrence Guy #56 (can't officially be his # seeing he's a DE)

CheeseKnuckles
07-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Anybody have any names of ILB that could possibly be signed by the Packers??? I think there is a good chance that they will bring in a FA, I don't think they would go into the season with Bishop and Hawk being the only vets at ILB.

BloodBrother
07-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Alex Green has officially signed. That's all draft picks accounted for

all that's left now is to get camp underway and either bring in a vet ILB FA or dish out some extensions to guys like Sitton/Finley/Nelson. Maybe even just do both. They definitely need some reliability/insurance at ILB. Also might have the possibility to re-sign Jones or Jenkins. Jones a more realistic scenario. Kuhn is also still out there and I would like to see him back

cvv84
07-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Anybody have any names of ILB that could possibly be signed by the Packers??? I think there is a good chance that they will bring in a FA, I don't think they would go into the season with Bishop and Hawk being the only vets at ILB.

McCarthy said in his presser this morning that Brad Jones or Robert Francois could shift inside. Barrett Rudd is still on the market but isn't a great fit and he likely wants to be a starter.

Also TE Spencer Havner and WR Brett Swain have officially been re-signed.

J-Mike88
07-30-2011, 03:49 PM
All the draft pick signings is nice but expected.

It's time to start looking ahead, and I'm ready to build up some hate for the Motown Motor City Kitties. The Detroit Lions.
I feel they will be our best division rival this year, not the Bears. Again, if you will recall, the Lions went into Chicago last year in the opener and beat them..... except the zebra's ruled that Megatron didn't hold onto the catch long enough.

Those teams are close.
And I think the Lions have improved the most, while I see the Bears taking a step back.

Besides that, here's why I hate the Lions now (not really, but we need to work up some distaste for them)

Last year, they KO'd Rodgers.
Year before, they cheap-shotted J-Mike's knee.

Now we gotta go into there on Thanksgiving 4 days after facing the upstart Buccaneers.

I want to sweep the division this year, not go 4-2 like last year. The Raiders swept their division last year. We can too.

cvv84
07-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Cullen Jenkins to the Eagles

BloodBrother
07-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Additions:
*Spencer Havner - re-signed
*Brett Swain - re-signed

Cuts:
* Brandon Chillar
* Justin Harrell
* Brady Poppinga
* Mark Tauscher
* Nick Barnett
* Michael Greco
* Curtis Young

UFA:
*James Jones - Talks of him being close to heading to Minny. GB "monitoring" his situation
*John Kuhn - Agent has had talks with GB. Expects to be back
*Atari Bigby - haven't heard a thing...he's obviously not back though

Players Lost:
*Daryn Colledge - signs 5yr/28 mill with Arizona. $8 mill guaranteed, $14 mill in first 2 years
*Cullen Jenkins - Signed 5yr/25 mill deal with Eagles. Could end up becoming only a 1yr/4 mill deal

J-Mike88
07-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Cullen Jenkins to the Eagles
Do they have a different salary cap than everyone else?
Actually, the # they showed for Cullen was a lot less than we expected.
Same with Aso.

I smell something fishy going on there in Philly under the table..... do they have a different salary cap than everyone else does?

I'm glad we aren't in the NFC East right now.
I will be rooting for the Giants, Cowboys, and Redskins to beat them up!
Plus the NFC East plays the AFC East, so for 2 weeks I will root for the Jets and Patriots.

Remember, this Eagles team was (this) close to KOing us in January, thank you David Akers, and Desmond Bishop for that shoe-string tackle.... and they will get Brandon Graham back in addition to signing Babin, Jenkins, Aso, and DRC.

J-Mike88
07-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Jenkins got less than Stephen Bowen, and less than Daryn Colledge.
Did we offer less than that?

He only got 10 mil more than we gave the kicker, over 5 years. Interesting.

cvv84
07-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Do they have a different salary cap than everyone else?
Actually, the # they showed for Cullen was a lot less than we expected.
Same with Aso.

I smell something fishy going on there in Philly under the table..... do they have a different salary cap than everyone else does?

Its the same, just the way they structure everything. Jenkins deal could turn into a 1 year deal and Asomugha's contract is likely front loaded. Both guys got alot less than expected which just show's the market for aging "star" players.

In the end I think Jenkins will give them 1 solid season while Asomugha will give them 2 good seasons.

I'm glad we aren't in the NFC East right now.
I will be rooting for the Giants, Cowboys, and Redskins to beat them up!
Plus the NFC East plays the AFC East, so for 2 weeks I will root for the Jets and Patriots.

Why we went 3-1 verse the NFC East least regular season and beat the Eagles again at home in the playoffs.

Remember, this Eagles team was (this) close to KOing us in January, thank you David Akers, and Desmond Bishop for that shoe-string tackle.... and they will get Brandon Graham back in addition to signing Babin, Jenkins, Aso, and DRC.

Brandon Grahm didn't show anything when healthy plus he's going to start the season on the PUP. DRC isn't a physical CB, Babin has a career season at the age of 30, and Jenkins has been injury prone.

Lets not forget that Vick has had 1 good season for them, lets see him repeat that first. Plus he only played in all 16 games 1 time during his career. Not too mention they have nobody at LB and their offensive line still has a ton of holes.

cvv84
07-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Jenkins got less than Stephen Bowen, and less than Daryn Colledge.
Did we offer less than that?

He only got 10 mil more than we gave the kicker, over 5 years. Interesting.

Reportedly we never even made an offer. They clearly wanted to move away from him.

BloodBrother
07-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Says a lot that the Pack didn't even bother to bring back JEnkins. They realize his injury history and his wear and tear and didn't want to invest in that

Eagles are definitely going to be getting all the media hype now, and even they themselves are already crowning themselves as a the "dream team"

Meanwhile, the Pack will just go about their business as usual. I'm not concerned. No guarantee the Pack will even get to face Philly this season anyway. These moves show clear desperation on the act of the Eagles. They are going all in this year, so they better live up to expectations

I hope they do trade Samuel, though. Teams will avoid Nnamdi as usual and just target DRC, who I've always thought has been a bit overrated. I see him get burned quite often

cvv84
07-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Says a lot that the Pack didn't even bother to bring back JEnkins. They realize his injury history and his wear and tear and didn't want to invest in that

Exactally. Its the same situation when the fans were blasting Thompson for letting Marco Rivera go a few years ago. What happened? He injured his back and was a huge free agent flop for the Cowboys.

I like Jenkins but being able to play week in and week out is part of the game. I wish him the best and I'm glad he was able to help us get a ring.

Eagles are definitely going to be getting all the media hype now, and even they themselves are already crowning themselves as a the "dream team"

If that dream is to have never won a Superbowl then dream on! They're definetly playing catchup.

Meanwhile, the Pack will just go about their business as usual. I'm not concerned.

Bingo, they know what they're doing. Sure Jenkins, Barnett, and Jones will likely have a good season or 2 but in the end this is what works for us. Neal is a promising player, Bishop is better than Barnett at this stage, and Jones while not a dime a dozen (more like a dime a quarter) can be replaced by the production of Jennings, Finley, Nelson, and Cobb.

cvv84
07-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Vikes sign Michael Jenkins. Still interested in James Jones???

Coombser
07-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Reportedly we never even made an offer. They clearly wanted to move away from him.

To me, that says that it's a similar situation to Al Harris last year.

cvv84
07-30-2011, 06:08 PM
To me, that says that it's a similar situation to Al Harris last year.

How so? Harris was cut after he was eligable to come off the PUP list last year. He was also coming off a potential career ending knee injury at the age of 35.

BloodBrother
07-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Jets look like the biggest threat to sign Jones right now

cvv84
07-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Jets look like the biggest threat to sign Jones right now

I'd love to sign him to a 2-3 year deal. That would give us time to see if Nelson can develop into a starter (which I think he will) and let Cobb develop as a receiver.

You'd have to think some other team would be interested at this point as well. Jags? 49ers? How about the Bucs? They have a ton of money to spend and he'd be a great option for Freeman.

princefielder28
07-30-2011, 06:29 PM
couple of thoughts...

1. glad all the rookies are in camp

2. Cullen Jenkins was never going, or the chances were low, to re-sign and the drafting of Mike Neal was the start of that...giving money to an aging player, who also has an injury plagued past, is one of the worst decisions a team can make...yeah they may still be useful in the first season or two but odds are that in the last two or three years you're going to be paying an average player the salary a proven, very effective player...Ted trusts the scouting department and drafting to prevent situations like that

3. Guys, don't kid yourselves, going into the 2011 season the Philadelphia Eagles are one heck of a football team talent-wise. Projecting long term might be a different story but without a doubt they are the biggest threat to our title as NFC Champions. They've added Nnamdi Asomugha, DRC, Cullen Jenkins, Jason Babin, Jaiquawn Jarrett (pass rushers and cover men/ballhawks) to their defense since we defeated them back in January. We know their offense has the potential to put up serious points.

4. The depth in our front seven SUCKS!

cvv84
07-30-2011, 06:48 PM
The Jets, Cardinals and Packers are all still showing interest in free agent James Jones, according to ESPN's John Clayton.

cvv84
07-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Sherrod taking 1st team reps at LG. Lang is running with the 2nd team.

Zombo with the 1st team at OLB.

Underwood has also been moved from CB to FS.

For what its worth, C.J. Wilson is also running with the 1st team defense at RDE. Though Neal wasn't expected to do much here early on.

princefielder28
07-30-2011, 08:24 PM
NFC Rankings:

Packers
Eagles
Bucs
Falcons
Saints
Bears
Giants
Lions
Cowboys
Redskins
Vikings
Panthers
NFC West

If I had to rank the NFC teams right now

1. Philadelphia Eagles
2. New Orleans Saints
3. Green Bay Packers
4. New York Giants
5. Atlanta Falcons
6. Detroit Lions
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
8. Minnesota Vikings
9. Seattle Seahawks
10. St. Louis Rams
11. Dallas Cowboys
12. Chicago Bears
13. San Francisco 49ers
14. Arizona Cardinals
15. Carolina Panthers
16. Washington Redskins

bigboiajhawk
07-30-2011, 10:35 PM
couple of thoughts...

I think this is a little bit of an overstatement on your part. I mean we lose Cullen as the only real player from last years roster. Barnett and Chillar didn't play enough to earn consideration. I agree our ILB backups are light, FA just started and I am sure if TT is not happy with Smith and whomever else, he will pick up a guy. I am really not worried about this.

Our DL loses one guy, our rookies from last year get another year to improve their abilities. Therefore we gain their increase in skills. Plus another year of improvement from Raji. I think our DL play will actually improve this year even with the loss of Jenkins.

Our OLB's improve as all of our young guys from last year have another year of increased skills/strength/speed. We add Elmore who led the PAC-10 in sacks and we get CM3 another year of improvement.

So realistically our front seven improves slightly, and I would be willing to say that TT does something if he is not happy with the ILB depth. Why overpay for a FA ILB right now when we can wait and let the prices come down on these FA's. Plus we will get to see whether Smith, Jackson, or Joseph can actually play.

I'm not saying you have to be optimistic but you are sounding too pessimistic right now.

jackalope
07-31-2011, 12:38 AM
I will admit that I'm afraid of the Eagles. I think we're still better, but I'm afraid. That said, it's far from a sure thing that Vick puts together a season like he did last year.

Jenkins leaving, while entirely predictable, is disappointing. Philly got a pretty good deal, at least for as long as he's able to keep up his level of play. The front office didn't go after him because we need to keep money freed up for youth. There's a system in place, and while losing these guys makes me nervous., the system obviously works. Neal looked good last year for the brief time that he was healthy. He's not going to be Jenkins, but I think he'll play well and soften the blow.

I would really like to see us keep Jones. We don't need him. In fact, even without him our receiving corps is better than it was last year (Finley, Cobb). With Jones it's unbelievable. If he can go somewhere and get consistent opportunities as a #1 or #2, I can see him putting up some great numbers. Really glad he's not going to be a Viking. Reportedly Arizona's not in it either now.

The biggest improvement we're getting this season is in the run game.
Grant over Jackson is a big difference. We'll also have a healthy James Starks ready to start the season. I'm also a huge Alex Green fan, but he'll probably have a fairly strong learner's curve.

BloodBrother
07-31-2011, 02:48 AM
the front 7 is fine. The only issue is obviously ILB depth. Just add a solid vet who understands he 3-4 and then see what happens in TC with guys like Brad Jones(who is being moved to ILB) and whatever camp bodies they bring in.

I'm liking the DLine a lot to be honest. Of course, it is REALLY important that Neal is able to stay healthy this year. This guy is a beast and in his limited snaps that he played last year, he graded out very highly. I love this dudes work ethic and I love how he's coming in with a pissed off attitude. Pissed that he wasn't a part of the team that won it all. Neal, CJ Wilson(who got better as the season went on), Raji, Pickett, Green and Lawrence Guy. Nothing wrong with that IMO

cvv84
07-31-2011, 10:43 AM
I will admit that I'm afraid of the Eagles. I think we're still better, but I'm afraid. That said, it's far from a sure thing that Vick puts together a season like he did last year.

See this is where I find it funny, its not the 1st time a team loaded up in FA and looked to be unstoppable. Lets not forget a few things here:

1) Vick had a career season - at age 31!

2) Vick has only played in 16 games once during his career.

3) The Eagles offensive line was terrible and they did little to nothing to improve it this offseason. They gave up 50 sacks last year!

4) They have their former OFFENSIVE LINE coach now coaching their DEFENSE!

5) They have nobody at LB.

6) Their top WR is holding out. Their 2nd best WR is mysteriously still sick from mono - months later.

7) Jason Babin is coming off a career season at age 30.

8) They're banking on all these new guys being able to gel in a month. Not too mention fit into their scheme.

Basically yes on paper they vastly improved but let's be realistic, how often does a big free agent(s) signings work out? Alot has to go right in order for a Superbowl run. Take a look at us last year, we barely made the playoffs and had to go on a 5 game run of elimination games just to get to the Superbowl. The Eagles made a ton of big moves but also took a ton of big risks as well, but as last year showed us you have to get hot at the right time.

cvv84
07-31-2011, 10:50 AM
the front 7 is fine. The only issue is obviously ILB depth. Just add a solid vet who understands he 3-4 and then see what happens in TC with guys like Brad Jones(who is being moved to ILB) and whatever camp bodies they bring in.

I'm liking the DLine a lot to be honest. Of course, it is REALLY important that Neal is able to stay healthy this year. This guy is a beast and in his limited snaps that he played last year, he graded out very highly. I love this dudes work ethic and I love how he's coming in with a pissed off attitude. Pissed that he wasn't a part of the team that won it all. Neal, CJ Wilson(who got better as the season went on), Raji, Pickett, Green and Lawrence Guy. Nothing wrong with that IMO

Its fine just as long as nobody gets injured! We're lacking depth, thats for sure, especially at LB. I'm fine with the defensive line because I believe that Neal, Green, Wilson, Wynn, and Guy will be fine at DE. In fact I think that if Guy applies himself to getting better he could end up being a big steal for us.

However I'm concerned with our LBs. Our best coverage LB is gone and while Hawk has improved in that area he's still prone to being beaten. Bishop isn't a turn and run LB either and the same goes for Zombo. That just leaves Matthews, of whom we need to rush the passer, and Jones who hasn't quite exactally been a model of consistancy.

I'd like to see us persue a guy like Manny Lawson. Someone who while isn't a sack artist, can still apply pressure and is descent in coverage.

Coombser
07-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Its fine just as long as nobody gets injured! We're lacking depth, thats for sure, especially at LB. I'm fine with the defensive line because I believe that Neal, Green, Wilson, Wynn, and Guy will be fine at DE. In fact I think that if Guy applies himself to getting better he could end up being a big steal for us.

However I'm concerned with our LBs. Our best coverage LB is gone and while Hawk has improved in that area he's still prone to being beaten. Bishop isn't a turn and run LB either and the same goes for Zombo. That just leaves Matthews, of whom we need to rush the passer, and Jones who hasn't quite exactally been a model of consistancy.

I'd like to see us persue a guy like Manny Lawson. Someone who while isn't a sack artist, can still apply pressure and is descent in coverage.

I'm sorry but I disagree with your assessment on Chillar, he plays a lot in coverage situations but I think he's very overrated in that department - seldom did you ever see Chillar make a play that Hawk or Bishop or Barnett were not capable of. I'd like to see what DJ Smith can do - he's small, yes - but he's quick and makes a lot of tackles. Jones I think is probably better suited to moving inside and I think that if they can get someone more reliably rushing the passer from WLB, then Matthews may be asked to drop more - and he certainly shows decent coverage potential.

cvv84
07-31-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm sorry but I disagree with your assessment on Chillar, he plays a lot in coverage situations but I think he's very overrated in that department - seldom did you ever see Chillar make a play that Hawk or Bishop or Barnett were not capable of. I'd like to see what DJ Smith can do - he's small, yes - but he's quick and makes a lot of tackles. Jones I think is probably better suited to moving inside and I think that if they can get someone more reliably rushing the passer from WLB, then Matthews may be asked to drop more - and he certainly shows decent coverage potential.

I'd check again if I were you about what Chillar did against opposing TEs.

cvv84
07-31-2011, 01:35 PM
James Jones back with the Packers for 3 years. Details to come.

BloodBrother
07-31-2011, 01:37 PM
was about to just post it. That's exciting news. 3 years? Wow!

next up is John Kuhn and then perhaps some ILB. AFter that it's extensions for Sitton, Finley and perhaps Nelson?

cvv84
07-31-2011, 01:40 PM
was about to just post it. That's exciting news. 3 years? Wow!

next up is John Kuhn and then perhaps some ILB. AFter that it's extensions for Sitton, Finley and perhaps Nelson?

3 years is perfect. Gives Nelson and Cobb time to develop.

Hopefully Kuhn is back. I'd hate to see him go. And as for extentions, Sitton is top priority. Finley needs to stay healthy, maybe an in-season extention?

Reportedly Rodgers and Driver went to bat for Jones with the front office.

BloodBrother
07-31-2011, 01:47 PM
With Jackson gone, I think they need to lock up Kuhn and then have him take Jackson's role as the 3rd down back, etc. Don't know if they can trust Starks/Green immediately to fulfill that role and pick up blitzers, etc

Agreed that Sitton will now be priority #1. I think it's a foregone conclusion that the Pack will lock him up to a long term deal sometime this season.

This is a really smart move by the Packers. Driver is one of my all time favorite Packers, but the fact is that RIGHT NOW, Jones and Nelson are definitely better than him. It is a business, and you always have to be thinking ahead. Jones and Nelson offer more to this team in the present and future. Glad to see them not let Jones go in favor of keeping Driver around and now the band is back together. Deeeeep WR corps with Cobb added to th emix

CheeseKnuckles
07-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Hopefully we will see some 5 wide sets this year...

Jennings
Nelson
Finley
Jones
Driver/Cobb

I'd like to see how the Eagles try to defend that haha!

cvv84
07-31-2011, 02:12 PM
Barnett to the Bills. 3 years for $12 million with $6 million guaranteed.

BloodBrother
07-31-2011, 04:02 PM
John Kuhn back with the Packers. 3 year deal

his agent says it will make him one of the highest paid FB's in the league

Texans were apparently after him especially after Leach signed with the Ravens

cvv84
07-31-2011, 04:11 PM
John Kuhn back with the Packers. 3 year deal

his agent says it will make him one of the highest paid FB's in the league

Texans were apparently after him especially after Leach signed with the Ravens

Kuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhnnnnn!!

BloodBrother
07-31-2011, 04:42 PM
So, hours after Rodgers said he wanted to see Jones and Kuhn back, both guys end up signing with them. Think he knew something beforehand?

Either way, this offense is looking downright scary

And here's another recap on the offseason so far:

Additions:
*Spencer Havner - re-signed
*Brett Swain - re-signed
*James Jones - re-signed to 3 yr deal
*John Kuhn - re-signed to 3 yr deal

Cuts:
* Brandon Chillar
* Justin Harrell
* Brady Poppinga
* Mark Tauscher
* Nick Barnett
* Michael Greco
* Curtis Young

UFA:

Players Lost:
*Cullen Jenkins - Signed 5yr/25 mill deal with Eagles. Could end up becoming only a 1yr/4 mill deal
*Atari Bigby - He hasn't officially signed with anybody, but it's clear he is gone. Alex Green now has Bigby's number. More evidence that he is gone

J-Mike88
07-31-2011, 04:44 PM
Great news!

On offense, every starter except Colledge was brought back, in addition to adding Sherrod and Cobb and Green with the first 3 picks. The Big 4 WRs are back, and J-Mike is returning. The two bookend tackles of the future are hopefully here as well.

On defense, ILB depth has thinned out, but OLB remains the same essentially, with former starter Brad Jones returning and Ricky Elmore having a chance to upgrade Zombo and Jones opposite Bloodline.

The DL lost a good one in Cullen, but hopes big Mike Neal can stay healthy and produce, plus perhaps the addition of sleeper pick Lawrence Guy.... I like that guy's chances.

At DB, it seems Jarrett Bush has learned how to play, and with Collins and Peprah back at safety with Morgan Burnett returning, young Tramon and Shields with Woodson..... everything looks great.

Don't forget, Randall Tex Cobb (should) add a spark to our return unit.

Still, the Eagles improved without a doubt. Anti-free agency skeptics can't deny that adding guys like Aso, DRC, Jenkins, and Babin alone will improve any defense.

Hopefully their offense sputters and their OL sucks. Look for them to try and trade Asante Samuel for some help on offense, probably the OL.

cvv84
07-31-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm pretty happy with our offseason. Jones and Kuhn are the 2 guys I wanted back and luckily we were able to retain them.

Colledge and Jackson would have been OK to keep but we can do better and the contracts they got were more than I would've wanted to spend.

In the end we're going to be in good shape next year come draft time. Hopefully we can get 2 picks for the guys we "lost" in free agency.

On the flip side we need to shore up our LB depth and find our starter at LG as soon as possible. I also think we're absolutely loaded at TE which is going to make things difficult to sort out. They should just move Havner back to LB already because I'd love to keep our 2 rookies.

BloodBrother
07-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Brandon Underwood has been playing at safety in camp btw. Might have him switching there. With Bush already at safety as well, I doubt Anthony Smith is back. Never know though

Main concerns for this team going into camp are these IMO

1. Who wins the LG spot? Looks like Sherrod/LAng are the main guys battling there. I expect Lang to get the job
2. ILB depth. Absolutely nothing behind Bishop/Hawk. We'll see what happens. If they add a FA or if Jones can make the move to ILB
3. OLB opposite Clay. Who will step up here? Zombo, Walden, Elmore
4. Who replaces Jenkins production? I think Neal is the real deal but the key is for him to be healthy. CJ Wilson is solid and they have Lawrence Guy in the fold as well as Green(vs the run). Not overly concerned about this area unless they get stricken with injuries here

other than that I think everything is shaping up nicely. ST as a unit is a question mark, but they did add some pieces in this years draft to beef that unit up. Cobb or perhaps Shaky Smithson on returns, as well as the 6th/7th round guys they added who were noted for being good ST players in college.

I'm already ready for Sept 8th

cvv84
07-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Brandon Underwood has been playing at safety in camp btw. Might have him switching there. With Bush already at safety as well, I doubt Anthony Smith is back. Never know though

I posted it a page or 2 ago but Underwood said that he's been switched to FS.

1. Who wins the LG spot? Looks like Sherrod/LAng are the main guys battling there. I expect Lang to get the job.

I think Sherrod wil end up winning the job. I like Lang but I don't think he has the toughness to play inside. When TT was in Seattle they had Walter Jones start his career at LG for a season before shifting back to LT as well.

2. ILB depth. Absolutely nothing behind Bishop/Hawk. We'll see what happens. If they add a FA or if Jones can make the move to ILB
3. OLB opposite Clay. Who will step up here? Zombo, Walden, Elmore

ILB worries me. I don't like Brad Jones inside and a guy like D.J. Smith is just too small.

I'm fine at OLB for now. I think we have enough guys to make it competitive and lots of options to choose from. Zombo has to be the starter though right now.

4. Who replaces Jenkins production? I think Neal is the real deal but the key is for him to be healthy. CJ Wilson is solid and they have Lawrence Guy in the fold as well as Green(vs the run). Not overly concerned about this area unless they get stricken with injuries here

Neal looks to be the long term answer but I think we'll ease him in this season. Wilson, Green, and Neal make for a ncie rotation plus we'll have Wynn and Guy in the mix. I really like Guy, if he can put it all together I think he'll be a very good player for us.

CheeseKnuckles
07-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Throwing out a little guess one what our offense could look like when the final roster cuts have been made.

RB:
Grant
Starks
Green

FB:
Kuhn
(Johnson could be done in GB, he can't do much besides block and MM covets versatility)

TE:
Finley
Quarless
Crabtree
Williams
Taylor
( Williams/Taylor could be used in the backfield if either show the ability to block well, also both give us way more versatility than Johnson)

WR:
Jennings
Driver
Nelson
Jones
Cobb
Shaky/Gurley
( I have a feeling one of the UDFA WR will make the team, I think Shaky will have the upper hand because of his ST abilities)

Last year we kept 3 rbs, 3 fbs, 4 tes, and 5 wrs... This year we keep 3 rbs, 1 fb, 5 tes, and 6 wrs.

BloodBrother
07-31-2011, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Quarless doesn't make the team.

cvv84
07-31-2011, 05:25 PM

Same here. I'd aslo say Crabtree and Havner on bubble guys as well.

CheeseKnuckles
07-31-2011, 05:26 PM

I was thinkings that I was posting my list... I read he hasn't passed his physical yet??? I don't remember him having any serious injuries?

cvv84
07-31-2011, 05:34 PM
I was thinkings that I was posting my list... I read he hasn't passed his physical yet??? I don't remember him having any serious injuries?

Quarless has a hip flexor. Must have happened while working out on his own in the offseason.

jackalope
07-31-2011, 07:04 PM
If Quarless wants to make the team he'll need to have a way better grasp of the playbook this year. He lined up wrong a lot last year. We also have so many receiving options already that if the decision comes down to Crabtree or Quarless, I think Crabtree's value as a blocker will get him a spot.

CheeseKnuckles
07-31-2011, 07:18 PM
If Quarless wants to make the team he'll need to have a way better grasp of the playbook this year. He lined up wrong a lot last year. We also have so many receiving options already that if the decision comes down to Crabtree or Quarless, I think Crabtree's value as a blocker will get him a spot.

Very good point. I do remember him lining up incorrectly a few times. It took time for Finley to come into his own, so maybe it will be the same for Quarless. He does seem to have the tools to become a good TE.

PackerLegend
07-31-2011, 08:50 PM
I love our Offense right now, pretty stoked we didnt let Jones get away. I know he had his laspes but he did make alot of big plays... It should be even better then last year which at times was pretty hard to beat. Sucks that Jenkins got away but Im not worried just yet. He will be hard to replace but its time for one of the young guys to step up. Each year it seems like someone new does. Anyways that money can go towards some of the guys we have coming up.. Sitton, Finely and I know that there are more.

CheeseKnuckles
07-31-2011, 09:37 PM
I wonder if we will have a highly motivated James Jones... If he earns himself a increased role in the offense this year he will be out to prove to teams he was worth the money that they didn't dish out to him. At least thats the way I would feel if I were him.

cvv84
07-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Anyways that money can go towards some of the guys we have coming up.. Sitton, Finely and I know that there are more.

The imediate one is Sitton. Finley needs to stay healthy for us first or he could just end up being a more talented David Martin. Nelson is starting to come into his own but alot will depend on how this season plays out.

After those 3 we have a little break until the next group needs to be retained. T.J. Lang is probably the next closest guy but again, alot will depend on this season for him.

PackerLegend
07-31-2011, 10:21 PM
Anybody see the nice bed Clay Matthews ended up with? It was all full of stains and everything. The sign that was laying on the bed said "This bed is reserved for Clay Matthews" Underneath the sign there were a couple blood spots. On his twitter he posted pictures and just said "Ive slept in worse." Damn Packers cant we get this man a nice bed to keep his hair looking good?

BloodBrother
08-01-2011, 02:45 AM
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af205/richrichrichtherich/matthewsglazer.jpg

TimmG6376
08-01-2011, 09:06 AM
couple of thoughts...

1. glad all the rookies are in camp

2. Cullen Jenkins was never going, or the chances were low, to re-sign and the drafting of Mike Neal was the start of that...giving money to an aging player, who also has an injury plagued past, is one of the worst decisions a team can make...yeah they may still be useful in the first season or two but odds are that in the last two or three years you're going to be paying an average player the salary a proven, very effective player...Ted trusts the scouting department and drafting to prevent situations like that

3. Guys, don't kid yourselves, going into the 2011 season the Philadelphia Eagles are one heck of a football team talent-wise. Projecting long term might be a different story but without a doubt they are the biggest threat to our title as NFC Champions. They've added Nnamdi Asomugha, DRC, Cullen Jenkins, Jason Babin, Jaiquawn Jarrett (pass rushers and cover men/ballhawks) to their defense since we defeated them back in January. We know their offense has the potential to put up serious points.

I would hope the concern about a lack of urgency coming off of a SuperBowl victory has been swept away by the moves the Eagles have made. They are going all-in to make it this year. Some are starting put the Eagles in as the NFC favorites and that can only serve as motivation for the defending champs.

cvv84
08-01-2011, 02:28 PM
I would hope the concern about a lack of urgency coming off of a SuperBowl victory has been swept away by the moves the Eagles have made. They are going all-in to make it this year. Some are starting put the Eagles in as the NFC favorites and that can only serve as motivation for the defending champs.

Oh no I'm shaking in my boots.

cvv84
08-01-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm pretty happy with our offseason. Jones and Kuhn are the 2 guys I wanted back and luckily we were able to retain them.

Colledge and Jackson would have been OK to keep but we can do better and the contracts they got were more than I would've wanted to spend.

In the end we're going to be in good shape next year come draft time. Hopefully we can get 2 picks for the guys we "lost" in free agency.

On the flip side we need to shore up our LB depth and find our starter at LG as soon as possible. I also think we're absolutely loaded at TE which is going to make things difficult to sort out. They should just move Havner back to LB already because I'd love to keep our 2 rookies.

Havner expects to be moved shorty, at least for the short term.

D.J. William is tearing it up right now!

CheeseKnuckles
08-01-2011, 04:29 PM

People are treating the Eagles like they were last years SB champs... If I were the Packers I would feel disrespected and would want to go out and prove something!

CheeseKnuckles
08-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Havner expects to be moved shorty, at least for the short term.

D.J. William is tearing it up right now!

I heard Williams is making some pretty impressive catches already... I'm excited to see this kid Saturday when I take my 3 yr old son to Family NighT!

SuperPacker
08-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Yeah heard DJ Williams is tearing it up. We could have two elite TE's in a few years :)

SuperPacker
08-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Oh yeah its good to have football back!!

J-Mike88
08-01-2011, 06:25 PM
People are treating the Eagles like they were last years SB champs... If I were the Packers I would feel disrespected and would want to go out and prove something!
The Eagles won the off-season.
But much more often than not, those types of teams don't get it done in December & January.
I like the pressure they're going to feel now.... they'll feel more heat than we will I believe.

Regardless, I'd rather get them in Lambeau than the Linc, if we meet them in January. I will root for the Giants, Dallas, and WaRshington over them this season, and will root for NE and NYJ against them.
I also will draft as many Eagles as I can in fantasy, which will jinx their a$ses haha.

BloodBrother
08-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Yeah heard DJ Williams is tearing it up. We could have two elite TE's in a few years :)

Yep. Loved that pick. Dude has great hands. Lookin forward to some of those 2 TE sets

tjsunstein
08-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Insider LB crew besides Hawk and Bishop: Cardia Jackson, Elijah Joseph, D.J. Smith, Robert Francois.

Fielding punts: Randall Cobb, Shaky Smithson, Diondre Borel, Kerry Taylor among newbies.

Veterans fielding punts from jugs machine: Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Nick Collins, Jordy Nelson.

Rookie tight end DJ Williams has made a couple nice catches tonight.
Yet another nice catch by DJ Williams.
DJ Williams can catch. That has been established. I count 4 nice receptions tonight.

James Jones in the house. Getting hugs and chests bumps on sideline.

Finley with a drop in individual tight end drills. Finley slips and falls on his next rep.

In LBs vs. O-linemen drill, Coach Kevin Greene more jacked up than his players.

Ted Thompson watching that drill with LBs and O-linemen intently.

Follow MikeVandermause (http://twitter.com/#%21/MikeVandermause) on Twitter for more.

BloodBrother
08-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Yeah, they need to find some quality depth at ILB. That list just doesn't look promising

bigboiajhawk
08-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Okay, so I know the Eagles got the cream of the crop in FA. But how in the world do they expect to cover a 5-Wide set of either Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Finley or Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Cobb or a 3 wide and 2 TE set using Finley and Williams.

Honestly, DC's had better bring their A-Game, otherwise A-Rod is going to carve up some defenses.

On another note: all of the big time reporters tweeted about Bulaga stoning CM3 in pass rush drills. I think Sherrod is going to have to step up his game if he wants to A) start and/or B) be the LT of the future. ( I guess Newhouse had a good practice at LT today as well)

BloodBrother
08-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Won't be too hard on Sherrod or any of the other rookies. They didn't get as much time to prepare like past rookies have. HE's also trying to play a position he's never played before. On the bright side, it really is encouraging to hear how Newhouse has seemed to improve big time this year. This team has 2 legit prospects at LT when Clifton is done.

Cobb tore it up in practice last night to apparently. Finley and Burnett are sched to go full participation by Wed, with Mike Neal shortly after that

jackalope
08-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Here's what I would do with the offense at this point.

QB: 2 Rodgers | Flynn (Harrell to PS)
RB: 3 Grant | Starks | Green
FB: 3 Kuhn | Johnson | Taylor
WR: 5 Jennings | Jones | Nelson | Driver | Cobb
TE: 4 Finley | Williams | Crabtree | Quarless
OL: 9 Clifton | Lang | Wells | Sitton | Bulaga | Sherrod | Newhouse | McDonald | Diet-Smith (Schlauderaff to PS)

26 total, which is the same as last year. Last year we kept three fullbacks and four tightends. Ryan Taylor and DJ Williams are tightends but both can also line up at fullback. Still keep seven total. Really early to call on the ninth linemen spot.

J-Mike88
08-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Here's what I would do with the offense at this point.

QB: 2 Rodgers | Flynn (Harrell to PS)
RB: 3 Grant | Starks | Green
FB: 3 Kuhn | Johnson | Taylor
WR: 5 Jennings | Jones | Nelson | Driver | Cobb
TE: 4 Finley | Williams | Crabtree | Quarless
OL: 9 Clifton | Lang | Wells | Sitton | Bulaga | Sherrod | Newhouse | McDonald | Diet-Smith (Schlauderaff to PS)

26 total, which is the same as last year. Last year we kept three fullbacks and four tightends. Ryan Taylor and DJ Williams are tightends but both can also line up at fullback. Still keep seven total. Really early to call on the ninth linemen spot.I'd be shocked if both rookie TEs, Williams and Taylor, make the final cuts. But maybe they think Taylor is their new Korey Hall. Hall was a solid LB at Boise State and we turned him into a versatile FB and special teamer.

jackalope
08-02-2011, 05:10 PM
I'd be shocked if both rookie TEs, Williams and Taylor, make the final cuts. But maybe they think Taylor is their new Korey Hall. Hall was a solid LB at Boise State and we turned him into a versatile FB and special teamer.

Taylor was drafted due to his special teams ability (3 year ST player of the year at UNC). I think they'll find a roster spot for him.

cvv84
08-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Packers finally get their White House invite, going August 12th. Sucks for the guys on new teams.

RyanBraun8
08-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Taylor I guess has pretty amazing hands, is a plus blocker, Great ST guy, versitle, and had outstanding work ethic. I think he makes. Quinn Johnson i think may not make the cut however

CheeseKnuckles
08-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Taylor I guess has pretty amazing hands, is a plus blocker, Great ST guy, versitle, and had outstanding work ethic. I think he makes. Quinn Johnson i think may not make the cut however

AGREED BROTHER

J-Mike88
08-04-2011, 05:45 AM
We've had the trio of Hall-Kuhn-QJ for like 3 years....... it worked....... but now we lost Hall already so I'd be a but surprised to see 2/3rd of that trio gone. But you never know. We were all surprised Crabtree made the team last year at Havner's expense so....

BloodBrother
08-04-2011, 01:41 PM
btw John Kuhn's deal is in the 3yr/7.5 mill range. Not that bad

still don't know exactly what JAmes Jones got $ wise

TimmG6376
08-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Anyone see the deal Woodley just signed?
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6835818/lamarr-woodley-pittsburgh-steelers-lands-615m-deal-source-says
(http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6835818/lamarr-woodley-pittsburgh-steelers-lands-615m-deal-source-says)

Makes me wonder what is it going to take to get Clay signed long-term.

BloodBrother
08-05-2011, 02:04 PM
James Jones contract is 3yr/9.4 mill. He will get 3.75 mill in his first year

very nice contract

cvv84
08-05-2011, 04:58 PM

very nice contract

Not bad, a little more than I expected, but not bad. We'll owe him an average of $2.8 million a year after that.

Anyone see the deal Woodley just signed?
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6835818/lamarr-woodley-pittsburgh-steelers-lands-615m-deal-source-says
(http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6835818/lamarr-woodley-pittsburgh-steelers-lands-615m-deal-source-says)

Makes me wonder what is it going to take to get Clay signed long-term.

Fortunately we'll have another 2 years until we'll have to worry about that.

jackalope
08-05-2011, 05:52 PM
I think we came out we came out pretty well on Jones' deal, considering some guys really cashed in. Hopefully that makes Jordy a little less enthusiastic to test the market. I'd love to keep our receivers together.

My thoughts on the third QB spot. Mostly just me thinking out loud here...
I'm wondering how committed the team is to Graham Harrell. I'm fairly certain he has practice squad eligibility, after only being on the roster a few games at the end of last year. Unless Harrell has a dynamite preseason and won't be able to clear the waver wire, that's where I'd go with him. With the new rule change (no emergency QB but 46 spots), keeping a third QB makes less sense. If we keep Harrell on the roster and don't suit him, there is really no advantage to giving him a roster spot rather than having him on standby with the practice squad. Also, keep in mind that Cobb can be a good option as the gameday #3 QB once he knows the playbook. If the team keeps Harrell, it's more of a move for next year to replace Flynn.

J-Mike88
08-05-2011, 10:04 PM
MM seems to like Graham...... he'd like to be able to keep him active on game days now that they get an extra.

Practice tonight:
Greg Jennings has a hip flexor, doesn't seem a big issue... cross fingers.
Davon House has a hamstring issue, and I hate those......
James Starks looked fantastic.
Mason Crosby sucked.... missed 4 straight at one point.
MM not worried because it was MC's first live action of camp.
Finley toasted Nick Collins so bad, it looked like Collins lost his jock strap.

SuperPacker
08-06-2011, 03:15 AM
Finley is gonna be the best tight end in the league in a year!!

PackerLegend
08-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Crosby missed 4 in a row at one point.. hmmm what will be his excuse this year? Last year it was because we kept on changing holders. That shouldnt be an issue this year. I hope the Packers dont get into any games where it comes down to his foot.

cvv84
08-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Crosby missed 4 in a row at one point.. hmmm what will be his excuse this year? Last year it was because we kept on changing holders. That shouldnt be an issue this year. I hope the Packers dont get into any games where it comes down to his foot.

Geez its his 1st practice. You guys are unreal...

PackerLegend
08-06-2011, 03:22 PM

Its a practice and his 1st one at that but he has showed all of us 0 reason to have faith in him. Besides hes a pro FG kicker its not like he should have went the entire offseason without kicking 1 ball. Im not worried that he missed 4 in a row at this point. I just said I dont have any faith in him when it comes to clutch kicks which I think is pretty fair to say. It would be nice to hear how he is having a great camp after he got payed but its the games that matter.

J-Mike88
08-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Guys?
Is PackerLegend 2 guys?

Grant & Starks could be 2009 DeAngelo Williams-Jonathan Stewart!
Defenses will be totally focused on getting to #12, stopping 85, 88, 89, 87, 80..... loose defenses, if our new LG can be a mauler, we could have a great running attack. Don't be surprised.

cvv84
08-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Guys?
Is PackerLegend 2 guys?

No I was referring to your comment as well, sorry bud :\

princefielder28
08-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Aaron throws a pick six on the first play haha

cvv84
08-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Wow and just like that its over. Canceled due to weather.

BloodBrother
08-06-2011, 09:07 PM
yeah that sucked. Man, the rookies and UDFA really have an uphill battle to climb. Camp started late, and now they can't even have the family night scrimmage. They won't have a lot of opportunities to impress

Cobb looked good and Starks looked waaaay better than Grant IMO. Granted, can't really tell too much during a scrimmage where there is little contact, but Starks seemed quicker with his cut and looked more powerful running it

Underwood hurt himself in the game, slipped on the field. Hopefully it wasn't anything too serious. Was helped off the field but then started to walk a bit under his own power.

Other than that the injuries that have been reported are just basic things that happen once camp is underway. The only one that could be a problem is DAvon House who hurt his hammy. Those things can linger. Hopefully it just tightened up and a few days rest + plenty of water will do the trick

cvv84
08-06-2011, 09:24 PM
yeah that sucked. Man, the rookies and UDFA really have an uphill battle to climb. Camp started late, and now they can't even have the family night scrimmage. They won't have a lot of opportunities to impress

Cobb looked good and Starks looked waaaay better than Grant IMO. Granted, can't really tell too much during a scrimmage where there is little contact, but Starks seemed quicker with his cut and looked more powerful running it

Underwood hurt himself in the game, slipped on the field. Hopefully it wasn't anything too serious. Was helped off the field but then started to walk a bit under his own power.

Other than that the injuries that have been reported are just basic things that happen once camp is underway. The only one that could be a problem is DAvon House who hurt his hammy. Those things can linger. Hopefully it just tightened up and a few days rest + plenty of water will do the trick

Starks definetly looks more explosive. He seems to have that vision too to find the holes. We're definetly in a good position at RB right now.

I've been very impressed with Cobb so far. He's shown good burst and hands and should give us another weapon that defenses have to account for.

That really sucks for House. He was really starting to come on too. Seemed like he was making a few plays each practice. Hopefully it's not something serious and he can return. Seems poised to be somebody if he can stay healthy.

The defense is definetly ahead of the offense right now. I guess we'll find out more a week from now come the start of preseason.

PackerLegend
08-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Aaron throws a pick six on the first play haha

Who picked it off? Any other big plays from players? I missed it this year.

EvilMonkey
08-06-2011, 10:38 PM

very nice contract

understatement. If Santonio Holmes can get 5 years, 50 million; James Jones is an uber-bargain.

princefielder28
08-07-2011, 08:46 AM

Brandian Ross...Josh Gordy got picked on quite a bit too

cvv84
08-07-2011, 09:28 AM

Brandian Ross had the INT.

It was 1st team offense vs. 2nd team defense, James Jones ran a 5 yard out and there was some miscommunication so it was an easy INT, which was returned for a TD.

As far as other big plays:

Cobb had a long completion with Ross in coverage. Ross looked like he slipped but Cobb still had to go up and get the ball, he then gained another 10 yards or so after the catch.

Rodgers threw a nice fade to Nelson for a TD, against CB Josh Gordy.

Starks looks great. He was hitting the holes hard when he was in there.

Brandon Underwood got injured. They're calling it a right hamstring/thigh.

Other than that practice only lasted for about 30 minutes before being cancelled due to some storms rolling in. Thats makes 3 out of the last 4 years that Family Night has been shortened. Anyone have a Farmers Almanac?

BloodBrother
08-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Great story on Shaky Smithson (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/127153798.html?page=1) in JSOnline today. I really hope he can somehow make the team, although it will be tough. Could be a candidate for the PS, but you'd figure he'd get snatched up by some team

J-Mike88
08-08-2011, 02:10 PM
I love Shaky, but can't figure out why he would have chosen our team to try and make a team.
Really, we are the deepest WR group in the NFL, and Cobb is our 5th guy and assured of making the team.

Shaky should have chosen San Francisco, but if we can keep him on the practice squad for this year, maybe 2 years, he can take over for Donald Driver.

Nice story from Lori though. http://packersinsider.com/2011/08/packers-rookie-shaky-smithson-prepared-all-his-life-for-this-role/

J-Mike88
08-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Terrible day for the Lions.
They lost their rookie RB stud for the season, Mikel Leshoure.
I agreed with some scouts that he was the best RB in this draft, more explosive than Mark Ingram, and stronger and faster.

I thought he was going to be a difference-maker for both them and whoever drafted him in fantasy football.

CheeseKnuckles
08-08-2011, 03:49 PM
I love Shaky, but can't figure out why he would have chosen our team to try and make a team.
Really, we are the deepest WR group in the NFL, and Cobb is our 5th guy and assured of making the team.

Shaky should have chosen San Francisco, but if we can keep him on the practice squad for this year, maybe 2 years, he can take over for Donald Driver.

Nice story from Lori though. http://packersinsider.com/2011/08/packers-rookie-shaky-smithson-prepared-all-his-life-for-this-role/

I was wondering the same thing about Shaky, I wonder if picking GB was anything like him picking his college. He may have wanted a positive environment/community for his younger brother and possibly other family members. I believe GB gives him the best chance to provide that.

I would really like to see Shaky and Bradian Ross make the team. Pat Lee and Underwood need to go.

cvv84
08-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Terrible day for the Lions.
They lost their rookie RB stud for the season, Mikel Leshoure.
I agreed with some scouts that he was the best RB in this draft, more explosive than Mark Ingram, and stronger and faster.

I thought he was going to be a difference-maker for both them and whoever drafted him in fantasy football.

That really sucks for them. They had a potentially good 1-2 punch. Their OTs have been hit with injuries as well.

cvv84
08-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Sherrod beats Raji, Neal, and Walden during one on ones. Thats power, strength, and speed. This kid is legit.

CheeseKnuckles
08-08-2011, 09:29 PM
I wish I could find more info. on how the UDFAs have looked. Can't really seem to find much. Looking forward to pre-season this year because I am pulling for a few guys even though its going to be much harder than most years to make the team.

cvv84
08-08-2011, 10:08 PM
I wish I could find more info. on how the UDFAs have looked. Can't really seem to find much. Looking forward to pre-season this year because I am pulling for a few guys even though its going to be much harder than most years to make the team.

Anyone in particular?

CheeseKnuckles
08-08-2011, 10:29 PM
There are a few I am interested in:

Jamari Lattimore, from what I can tell at Family Night this guy looks the part physically, needs to put on some wieght though.

Diondre Borel, I have read his story, need to know more.

Tori Gurley

Anthony Bratton

Brandian Ross, got my attention at Family Need, would like to know more on how he is doing.

Brandon Saine

Shaky Smithson, besides the stories I haven't been able to find anything on how he is performing.

Can't seem to find anything on how these guys are performing, I figure it is probably because they have a long shot at making the roster, but it would be nice to know how their training camps have gone so far.

BloodBrother
08-09-2011, 02:11 AM
Packers writers didn't have much encouraging things to say about Gurley today. Said for a guy his size he looks timid

Diondre Borel has been excellent though, and I think he's a lock to be on the PS. Very raw, but definitely has the tools

Read a few good things regarding Lattimore, and I'd expect him to be on the PS as well

BloodBrother
08-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Some camp notes (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/127286968.html)

--- On one bright note, Mike Neal has enjoyed a steady recovery from his torn rotator cuff a year ago. The defensive end admitted before camp that his shoulder may not be 100 percent until late October and then did not participate in team activities much of the first week. Now, he is in full, 11-on-11 action with the No. 1 defense. Monday night, Neal showed a good punch off the line, penetrating into the backfield. He has outplayed C.J. Wilson so far.

"He looks very good," McCarthy said. "I thought he really showed up today. Hopefully his injury is in the rearview mirror. He looks good and he's off to a good start. Mike's having a good camp."

Injury update:

Two players dropped out of practice on Monday with injuries. Offensive lineman Marshall Newhouse, who was off to a strong start at left tackle, sprained his shoulder, while receiver Brett Swain injured his hamstring.

Kicker Mason Crosby has a sprained ankle and did not kick. McCarthy said he’s “hopeful” Crosby will be ready for the Cleveland game.

Cornerback Brandon Underwood sprained his knee on Saturday night and will be out a couple of weeks.

Also new to the injury list and not practicing were linebacker Cardia Jackson and tackle Chris Campbell. McCarthy was not asked about their injuries.

Continuing to sit out were cornerback Davon House (hamstring), linebacker Diyral Briggs (hamstring), guard Adrian Battles (Achilles) and defensive end Eli Joseph (hamstring).

Returning to practice on Monday from injury were cornerback Tramon Williams (hip), linebacker Clay Matthews (glute), tight end Tom Crabtree (hip flexor), receiver Greg Jennings (hip flexor) and defensive end Lawrence Guy (concussion).

hopefully Newhouse sprained shoulder isn't a big deal. Doesn't sound like it. He's been probably the most impressive guy in camp as far as growth/improvement goes

J-Mike88
08-09-2011, 03:37 PM
hopefully Newhouse sprained shoulder isn't a big deal. Doesn't sound like it. He's been probably the most impressive guy in camp as far as growth/improvement goes
Thanks for the update Blood.

Yes, we need to keep him and guys like him healthy. Shoulder is very important to a tackle for sure.

Regarding Mike Neal: we know he's good, potentially a stud and a difference-maker. I'm only concerned with his durability. He needs to last.....stay on the field like Kevin Williams has for the Grape Apes over his career.

cvv84
08-09-2011, 09:21 PM

He's back at practice tonight.

Bulaga also looks to be much improved. He's held the Claymaker in check quite often during one on ones. If he gets better our offense line is going to be among of the top units again this year. Funny to think that just a few years ago we were starting Adrian Klemm...

Sitton, Bulaga, and Sherrod are going to be anchoring our offensive line for a LONG time.

BloodBrother
08-10-2011, 01:55 AM
Clay just revealed that he played the 2nd half of the season with a stress fracture in his lower leg

dude was a beast last year and wasn't even at full strength

BloodBrother
08-10-2011, 03:17 PM
I look forward to seeing how this formation looks during the season

Packers consider reconfigured base defense (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/127402253.html)

reading about it has me excited about its potential

PackerLegend
08-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Finely talking... I dont have a problem because thats just what he likes to do and last year he was right :D

Packers tight end Jermichael Finley has a message for the Eagles and the Saints: Enjoy everyone talking about you during the preseason while you can.

Finley was asked on WSSP in Milwaukee why the Eagles and Saints are getting more national media attention than the defending champion Packers, and Finley said it’s just a matter of time before that changes.

“I ain’t worrying about all that,” Finley said, via Sports Radio Interviews. “All that talk with the Eagles and the Saints, that will come to a halt, I guarantee you.”

Finley said he’s eager for the Packers’ September 8 opener against the Saints at Lambeau Field. And he dismissed Eagles quarterback Vince Young’s claim that the Eagles are a “dream team.”

“Ah man, that’s just talk,” Finley said. “That’s on paper. VY is a backup, I don’t think he should be doing too much talking.”

Now what is this bunch of **** from the Vikings.. thanks for the poster material..
In the latest example of what can best be described as the Rex Ryanification of the NFL, a largely unknown Vikings defensive lineman who is poised to crack the starting lineup in 2001 has sounded off regarding the reigning league champions, the Packers.

Brian Robison, who’ll replace Ray Edwards at left defensive end, shared his views with Paul Allen and Pete Bercich of KFAN regarding Green Bay’s Super Bowl XLV championship.

“I know there might be some Vikings fans that get mad at me for saying this,” Robison said. “But I’m kind of glad they won the Super Bowl last year.”

Wait, what?

“Simply for the fact that I can say after this year we’re gonna kick the crap out of the Super Bowl champs twice,” Robison said. “Hopefully we’ll meet them in the playoffs and kick the crap out of them again.”
The statement comes on the same day that Packers tight end Jermichael Finley guaranteed that “all the talk” regarding the Eagles and Saints will end soon. Though the Packers will have something to say about — and to — the Saints on September 8 (on NBC), the Packers won’t play the Eagles until the postseason at the earliest.

As to the Vikings, they’ll get the Packers at least twice. Thanks to Robison, the rivalry has another layer of intrigue.

Brian Robison should really stop smoking crack

BloodBrother
08-10-2011, 04:34 PM
I swear, Finley finishes every sentence of his with "I guarantee you that" regardless of what the subject is

SuperPacker
08-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Who the f*ck is Brian Robinson? Some crap 2nd String DE. My little finger is probably more talented than this dipsh*t!!!

BloodBrother
08-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Brian Robinson sounds like the next Chris Hovan. Some scrub for the Vikes who mouths off and then is quickly forgotten

back to Pack news, WR Chastin West rolled his ankle in practice today and had to leave, but came back later on which is good. He is having a very impressive camp. Most likely won't make the roster just due to the depth at the position but he'll definitely make another team who needs WR help

bigboiajhawk
08-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Logan Mankins deal is $51 Million for 6 years. This is a big deal considering Sitton is a FA next year and, being biased, I feel Sitton is better than Mankins.

PACKmanN
08-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Logan Mankins deal is $51 Million for 6 years. This is a big deal considering Sitton is a FA next year and, being biased, I feel Sitton is better than Mankins.

the left side of the o-line typically makes more than the right side. I could see Sitton get a similar contract, only because it would be a year later. Other than that, i do not see him making more

princefielder28
08-11-2011, 07:11 PM

the left side of the o-line typically makes more than the right side. I could see Sitton get a similar contract, only because it would be a year later. Other than that, i do not see him making more

Jahri Evans signed a 7 year deal worth $56.7 million last year...I'm guessing Sitton's deal will be similar to that

BloodBrother
08-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Desmond Bishop unable to go to the White house because he left his ID on the plane

ouch

CheeseKnuckles
08-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Desmond Bishop unable to go to the White house because he left his ID on the plane

ouch

I read that, I feel bad for the guy.

J-Mike88
08-13-2011, 08:35 AM
I read that, I feel bad for the guy.
Did Bish say anything about it on twitter?

BloodBrother
08-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Yup

Desbishop55 (https://twitter.com/#!/Desbishop55) Desmond bishop
Just found some extra motivation tweeples. I forgot my id on plane so won't get access to see @barackobama .. This time! But next year ;)

Desbishop55 (https://twitter.com/#!/Desbishop55) Desmond bishop
Tho dissapointed, i ll live vicariously thru my fellow Teammates.. Nap time.. As jack reacher wud say "sleep wen u can.."

at least he can look back on this down the road and laugh

cvv84
08-13-2011, 12:28 PM
On the bright side Bishop will get to see the White House in 2012. REPEAT B!TCHES!!!

CheeseKnuckles
08-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Not a Packer topic, but did anyone see that highlight of Ndamukong Suh trying to be a WWF wreslter against Andy Dalton... Someone needs to give this guy the memo that he plays for the NFL, not acts for the WWF.

cvv84
08-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Not a Packer topic, but did anyone see that highlight of Ndamukong Suh trying to be a WWF wreslter against Andy Dalton... Someone needs to give this guy the memo that he plays for the NFL, not acts for the WWF.

I don't know, I didn't really have a problem with it. He does need to learn to run through guys instead of trying to man-handle them though. Otherwise his checkbook will always be getting lighter.

CheeseKnuckles
08-13-2011, 02:38 PM
I don't know, I didn't really have a problem with it. He does need to learn to run through guys instead of trying to man-handle them though. Otherwise his checkbook will always be getting lighter.

I don't have a problem with it either, until it becomes our QB...

cvv84
08-13-2011, 03:16 PM

Still, from watching that flim Suh didn't see the ball out of the QBs hands. Its going to be a penalty and fine every time so like I said, he needs to learn how to run through guys. But it just goes to show you how good he is with using his hands.

J-Mike88
08-13-2011, 04:44 PM
I already am sick of Suh, and thank goodness our best young OL is Sitton, who will usually lineup against him.
I don't like Suh and think he's dirty. But I did like his hit on Cutler last year.

Still, I'd like to see an end-around with Cobb, and have Suh reversing his field and running towards the sideline to get him, and have Crabtree blindshot-whollap his big a$$ , kinda like this: tggk0tvRhYI&feature=related

BloodBrother
08-15-2011, 09:17 AM
LB Diyral Briggs released

not noteworthy just posting it

J-Mike88
08-15-2011, 10:49 AM

Nice..... he was in the Super Bowl, got his ring..... I saw some of his homies or family in the celebration in the stands and the lobby areas after the game...

PackerLegend
08-15-2011, 03:51 PM

I dont even think he has been healthly yet..... Its pretty hard to make a team when you cant play. I highly doubt he would have made the team anyways.

SuperPacker
08-16-2011, 04:09 AM
Is anyone else scared at our depth at ILB? If either Bishoo or Hawk went down we would have Francois or Smith lol

BloodBrother
08-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Looks like Mike Neal hurt his knee/lower leg in practice today ugh

Was down for a couple of minutes as trainers and team mates circled around him. He WAS able to walk back to the Hutson Center under his own power with a minimal limp. The worst part of it was that it was during Individual drills. NO CONTACT WHATSOEVER. He basically just hurt his knee doing a drill against a tackling dummy. That's not good

PackerLegend
08-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Justin Harrell 2.0

God I hope not he has alot of potential and we dont exactly have tons of depth at DE. He got his feet tangled while hitting a blocking bag and fell akwardly ughhhhhh, I mean come on...

Lets just hope its nothing to serious and he can be back for Sept 8th.

J-Mike88
08-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Justin Harrell 2.0

God I hope not he has alot of potential and we dont exactly have tons of depth at DE. He got his feet tangled while hitting a blocking bag and fell akwardly ughhhhhh, I mean come on....
Exactly.
I don't think they should have let Cullen go (especially at the discount price he ended up being) until Neal proved he could at least last one season, or most of one season.

You all, we all, had plenty of doubts about it..... this guy can't even make it TO the first game now? Pretty worrisome.

He's so much more talented than Harrell was too, but it almost seems like he's been on some HGH or steroid and his body breaks down, fragile.

Hopefully our fears and doubts are proven wrong though.

BloodBrother
08-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Neal said he has no tears, but he's going for an MRI tomorrow. Can't really trust what a player says. They always say they are OK

J-Mike88
08-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Neal said he has no tears, but he's going for an MRI tomorrow. Can't really trust what a player says. They always say they are OK
Exactly.
I'm not relieved until I hear the MRI revealed nothing, and that he's day-to-day, should be back for the game at the Colts on the 26th, or the Sept 1st final pre-season game vs KC.

SuperPacker
08-17-2011, 04:36 AM
TT is gonna look like the biggest d!ck if Mike Neal gets injured and misses time. Looks like our no1 need for the 2012 draft will be DE. Ryan Pickett isnt getting any younger either. Who would be starting if Neal is hurt? CJ Wilson? Teams are gonna run all over us!!!

CheeseKnuckles
08-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Another random post by me... Watching replays of preseason week 1 games, Oakland vs Arizona. This kid Denarious Moore looks like the real deal. I like when I see guys doing well whom I thought would be good players coming into the league.

BloodBrother
08-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Neal is day-to-day. No scan was needed. He just torqued his knee. Great news

However, House is still sidelined with his hammy injury, which sucks. Lawrence Guy and Anthony Levine are out with concussions. Levine has been really good in camp and was solid in the preseason game

CheeseKnuckles
08-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Neal is day-to-day. No scan was needed. He just torqued his knee. Great news

However, House is still sidelined with his hammy injury, which sucks. Lawrence Guy and Anthony Levine are out with concussions. Levine has been really good in camp and was solid in the preseason game

Good news... however I really want to see House in game action. Before he did whatever to his hamstring it sounded like he was looking pretty natural in the defense. I'm pretty sure if he would have stayed healthy he would have pushed to be the 4th CB on the depth chart.

J-Mike88
08-18-2011, 05:00 PM
The bad hamstrings are getting old.
Not just here, but also around the league.
But I only care about our guys'.
And my keeper league fantasy team.

hoekd0250
08-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Packers may be shorthanded vs Arizona
5 hours, 29 minutes ago

tweet8EmailPrintGREEN BAY, Wis. (AP)—A challenging week of practice in warm conditions and injuries to some key players have left the Green Bay Packers possibly undermanned for Friday’s preseason game against Arizona.

The team held a light workout that lasted just 45 minutes Thursday as final preparations were made for the first game at Lambeau Field since the Packers won the Super Bowl last season.

All-Pro linebacker Clay Matthews(notes) (hamstring), defensive end Mike Neal(notes) (knee) and running back James Starks(notes) (ankle) didn’t participate. Their status for the game won’t be determined until Friday.

AdChoices

“This was the challenge week for our football team,” coach Mike McCarthy said. “I think it was evident - three full practices, 2 1/2 hours long (each of the previous three days), coming off a night schedule in the heat of the day.”

Matthews, who led the Packers with 17 sacks last season, has endured hamstring problems in training camp since he was a rookie in 2009. He didn’t play in a preseason game last year, and the team limited him to only four plays in the preseason opener at Cleveland on Saturday.

“I’d say this year is better than the last two years,” McCarthy said. “(But) we’re always going to play the high side of caution because of his history.”

The potential absence of Matthews on Friday could give more playing time to the three players battling for the starting spot opposite Matthews at outside linebacker: Frank Zombo(notes), Erik Walden(notes) and Brad Jones. Zombo started against the Browns, but Walden spent most of this week working with the first-string defense.

Defensive coordinator Dom Capers said Thursday a decision had yet to be made on who will be the starter Friday.

“They’ve all played and played pretty good for us at times,” Capers said.

Capers had cause for concern during practice Tuesday, when he watched the left knee of Neal buckle in a non-contact drill.

Neal limped off the field under his own power, but he didn’t practice the rest of the week. He is the presumptive replacement in the starting lineup for Cullen Jenkins(notes), who left the team in free agency.

“You never want to lose a player,” Capers said. “But in a drill where he’s slapping the bag and going over the bag, I was concerned, obviously, like I think everybody was.”

A day after McCarthy said Neal didn’t need a medical scan for the knee, the coach clarified Thursday that the second-year player had an MRI test done, which revealed a knee sprain. Neal’s status remained day to day.

Starks has been battling veteran Ryan Grant(notes) for a starting job behind an offensive line that is unsettled at the midway point of camp. McCarthy on Thursday chose T.J. Lang(notes) as the starter at left guard for the game ahead of rookie Derek Sherrod(notes), who made the start in the opener.

“I’m definitely excited about getting out there tomorrow,” Lang said. “It’s going to be a huge step for me. If I can go in there and play the way I’ve been playing, only good things will happen. But it’s still a competition going on.”

Meanwhile, veteran cornerback Charles Woodson(notes) and talented tight end Jermichael Finley(notes) are expected to get their first preseason action Friday.

Capers indicated the first-string defense, which also should have nickel back Sam Shields(notes) back after he missed the opener because of a hip injury, would go for about 15 to 20 plays.

Finley, who hasn’t played since he suffered a season-ending knee injury last October, anticipates having a cameo appearance of only one series as he gets back to working with quarterback Aaron Rodgers(notes).

“I’ve got all of the coaches saying don’t get too excited and go out there and get too jacked up,” Finley said. “But I’m going to be jacked up. That’s me; that’s my personality. I’ll be ready. I’ll be like a little kid in the candy store.”

I think im more interested in seeing how Howard Greene can do this year with a full year in the system then Neal at this point. Did well last year verse the run and can eat up blocks freeing up the linebackers to make some plays.

BloodBrother
08-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Well here we go. Clay is out today because he's got soreness and tightness in his hamstrings again. Jeez, that guy has got hammy issues

Neal's knee injury is worse than first reported(which usually ends up being the case) He has a knee sprain, which could keep him out for days or weeks. Who knows. Neither guy is playing today vs the Cards

J-Mike88
08-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Neal's knee injury is worse than first reported(which usually ends up being the case)
It is always worse than reported!
Except with Reggie White.

Our no-huddle offense looks great, like the old Lakers fast-break.
Alex Green! Wow.
Dude looks great!

cvv84
08-20-2011, 10:50 PM
TT is gonna look like the biggest d!ck if Mike Neal gets injured and misses time. Looks like our no1 need for the 2012 draft will be DE. Ryan Pickett isnt getting any younger either. Who would be starting if Neal is hurt? CJ Wilson? Teams are gonna run all over us!!!

I disagree. For one you're assuming that Neal was to be the starter which I think is pretty irrelevant. Even if he was at 100% we were going to run our personel with our packages. Neal was to play a role, just as Wilson, Wynn, and Green are.

Secondly, you're making reference to not paying Cullen Jenkins while calling out Ryan Picketts age. Pickett is only a little over a year older than Jenkins and has a proven track record of not missing many games.

Fact is its a numbers game. You load up with talented guys and keep them fresh by giving them a specified role. Sure Neal has starter potential but each guy brings something to the table. He's one guy in the scheme of things, no need to panic and overreact...

SuperPacker
08-21-2011, 08:49 AM
I disagree. For one you're assuming that Neal was to be the starter which I think is pretty irrelevant. Even if he was at 100% we were going to run our personel with our packages. Neal was to play a role, just as Wilson, Wynn, and Green are.

Secondly, you're making reference to not paying Cullen Jenkins while calling out Ryan Picketts age. Pickett is only a little over a year older than Jenkins and has a proven track record of not missing many games.

Fact is its a numbers game. You load up with talented guys and keep them fresh by giving them a specified role. Sure Neal has starter potential but each guy brings something to the table. He's one guy in the scheme of things, no need to panic and overreact...

Its pretty obvious Neal is Jenkins replacement. And our run defense was bad enough last year. Put in Neal for Jenkins and the run defense will only get worse. What im saying is that if Neal does miss time and we have CJ Wilson or Howard Green taking the majority of the snaps then thats not going to make our defense any better and TT only has himself to blame because he didnt bring in anyone after Jenkins left and put all his hope in an injury prone 1st year starter, a 7th round draft pick and someone he picked off waivers mid way through the season.

cvv84
08-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Its pretty obvious Neal is Jenkins replacement.

How so? Even without his knee injury he's still recovering from a shoulder injury and wouldn't have been at 100% still October at the earliest. It was pretty obvious that we were going to run with a rotation at DE this season.

What im saying is that if Neal does miss time and we have CJ Wilson or Howard Green taking the majority of the snaps then thats not going to make our defense any better and TT only has himself to blame because he didnt bring in anyone after Jenkins left and put all his hope in an injury prone 1st year starter, a 7th round draft pick and someone he picked off waivers mid way through the season.

So say we did keep Jenkins, we'd still have the same players as last year which ranked in the middle of run defense. Who won the Superbowl last year?

SuperPacker
08-21-2011, 01:34 PM
How so? Even without his knee injury he's still recovering from a shoulder injury and wouldn't have been at 100% still October at the earliest. It was pretty obvious that we were going to run with a rotation at DE this season.

So say we did keep Jenkins, we'd still have the same players as last year which ranked in the middle of run defense. Who won the Superbowl last year?

Yeah there would of been some sort of rotation but was always gonna be the starter.

So you're just happy with being slightly worse when other teams like the Eagles, Saints and Patriots are all pushing to get better.

BloodBrother
08-21-2011, 01:55 PM
CJ Wilson was good vs the run. The only issue is that without Neal they wouldn't have a guy to provide a pass rush at the end position like Jenkins did. Raji would be the only guy up front who could generate a rush

Neal's injury isn't even anything to think about right now either. By all accounts he'll be back within a week or 2 so this is much to do about nothing(for now)

J-Mike88
08-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Mike Neal is obviously cued to be the replacement for Jenkins.
McCarthy has said so himself, and all the Press-Gazette and Journal-Sentinel, and ESPNmilwaukee guys have discussed that.
But that's trivial anyway.

Our biggest weakness on defense is against the run. It was last year, and it would seem to be so again this year. Wilson is good against the run. But the addition of fat Howard along with Pickett and Raji (That's over 1000 pounds of beef in those 3 guys) has helped the run game.

Bishop should keep getting better, and Hawk is a tackling machine. Still, depth is important.

Jarius Wynn seems like just a body that other teams make plays thru.

cvv84
08-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Yeah there would of been some sort of rotation but was always gonna be the starter.

So you're just happy with being slightly worse when other teams like the Eagles, Saints and Patriots are all pushing to get better.

The starter is irrelevant and it esscentially was last year too seeing we went primarily with whomever fit the package we were in.

Who's saying we haven't gotten better? Just because you spent alot of money and add a bunch of players doesn't mean you're going to get better. We're developing guys who fit our system and grooming our home grown guys. Look how much improved guys like Bulaga, Newhouse, Starks, Walden, and even Raji.

Its just funny seeing some of you panic over 1 or 2 players in the entire scheme of things.

J-Mike88
08-21-2011, 08:42 PM
It's just funny seeing some of you panic over 1 or 2 players in the entire scheme of things.
Not sure where the word "panic" enters into your discussion here.

But one thing to be concerned with, as learned last year, is depth.

We were lucky the bad injuries didn't hit us at QB, LT, CB, #52, and #85.
How would losing Clifton instead of Jones, Chillar, Barnett?
Can Newhouse or Sherrod handle it out there?

On the defense, we saw the dropoff in the XLV when Woodson went out.
For the first almost half of the game, Roethlisberger's passing rating was about 40.
After Chuck left, his rating was over 100 and they almost pulled it out.

I like Davon House, and Josh Gordy looks better than Pat Lee and Brandon Underwood already. That's exciting depth potential there.

Changing subjects, I gotta tip my cap to AJ Hawk. That guy is a warrior. He comes to play, he shows up, punches the timeclock, and he makes tackles.

I love that guy. Not flashy, just gets the job done. I used to want him to show more emotion and passion.... to fire up the other guys.
But that's not his personality.... new guys like Matthews and Raji do that.
Woodson does the talking pre-game.
It's all good.
But AJ Hawk doesn't get the love I feel he deserves from CheeseNation.
But he did get his $ for all his good deeds.

cvv84
08-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Not sure where the word "panic" enters into your discussion here.

But one thing to be concerned with, as learned last year, is depth.

Multiple pages on multiple threads I guess. Injuries and depth are a concern for 31 other teams as well. No team is going to be covered at every position for an entire season. Yes we have holes but so does everyone else.

We were lucky the bad injuries didn't hit us at QB, LT, CB, #52, and #85.
How would losing Clifton instead of Jones, Chillar, Barnett?
Can Newhouse or Sherrod handle it out there?

No different than losing our starting RB and starting TE. We made due. Good teams find a way to win.

On the defense, we saw the dropoff in the XLV when Woodson went out.
For the first almost half of the game, Roethlisberger's passing rating was about 40.
After Chuck left, his rating was over 100 and they almost pulled it out.

I like Davon House, and Josh Gordy looks better than Pat Lee and Brandon Underwood already. That's exciting depth potential there.

We saw a dropoff when Woodson AND Shields went down. I don't know many, if any, teams than would have the roster depth to withstand that.

Look at where we were a few seasons ago, weak in the secondary and strong with the front 4. Things change, players come and go, weakness's become strengths, and strengths become weakness's. Like I said you aren't going to find a roster with 53 quality starters on it.

J-Mike88
08-22-2011, 10:02 AM
No different than losing our starting RB and starting TE. We made due. Good teams find a way to win.
Very true.
But let's be honest here: RB & TE are overrated positions, and one need not look any further than Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez, Adrian Peterson, and LaDanian Tomlinson.
Between those 4 best of their positions, they have about 40 combined great years in the NFL, and not a one time has either even made it to a Super Bowl.

Anyway, I think our depth at CB should be better than ever if Davon House can get healed up fresh and ready to go.

I believe in TJ Lang. At guard. He just needs repetitions there over and over, and I believe he can settle in long-term there.

BloodBrother
08-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Keep in mind to, if Thompson and Co. aren't happy with the depth at a certain position, you can't rule out him making a few minor trades. Maybe trade from one of his strengths to improve a weakness. This team is loaded at WR/TE/RB and will have to make some difficult cuts in those groups

could always see Thompson working a deal or 2 from that group to add a Dlineman if need be

BloodBrother
08-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Frank Zombo has a broken scapula and will miss "significant amount of time" according to McCarthy in his post-practice presser just now

He suffered it in pre-game vs the Cardinals by colliding with John Kuhn, played through it however. Guess the OLB battle thinned a bit. Walden looks like the favorite for sure, especially since Brad Jones sat out practice today with a knee sprain(he's always hurt)

J-Mike88
08-22-2011, 02:20 PM
These guys are so fragile for us for some reason (OLB).
It makes me amazed that James Harrison and Lamar Woodley never seem to miss any time for the Steelers.

Ricky Elmore has looked awful.
Poppinga and Chillar are gone.
Now Zombo is gone.

We're down a few guys now already at that position before we even get to fake-game #3.

Capers scheme is pretty complex. It's not a position you can just sign a guy off the street and tell him to blitz off the edge every day.

Walden and Matthews better stay healthy.

cvv84
08-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Very true.
But let's be honest here: RB & TE are overrated positions, and one need not look any further than Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez, Adrian Peterson, and LaDanian Tomlinson.
Between those 4 best of their positions, they have about 40 combined great years in the NFL, and not a one time has either even made it to a Super Bowl.

I wouldn't quite say that, but reguardless good teams and good coaches can adjust and thats what we did last year.

Your analogy can work both ways too, Trent Dilfer is a prime example. How about Rex Grossman? Both teams had strong running games and defenses. Its not an exact formula which is why 1 or 2 great players will rarely carry a team.

Anyway, I think our depth at CB should be better than ever if Davon House can get healed up fresh and ready to go.

Williams, Woodson, Shields, House, and Gordy. Time to end the Pat Lee and Brandon Underwood experiments. I really think we have a steal in House. Having him learn from Woodson and Williams is a huge benefit as well.

I believe in TJ Lang. At guard. He just needs repetitions there over and over, and I believe he can settle in long-term there.

I'm a little worried about Lang but they need to name him the starter already. He's our best option at the position, period. They need to get Sherrod prepped at LT, even if its a redshirt season for him.

J-Mike88
08-22-2011, 06:30 PM
My guess as to the Packers 53-man roster .... OK, I can only get it down to 55!
I expect some guys to be "stashed" on IR with nagging injuries who TT & MM don't want to lose off the practice squad.
Davon House is a guy that's possible, but if he heals up and flashes in p-game 3 & 4, it's possible they release Bush because they really like Gordy. If they think Gordy can make it to the practice squad, they'll send him there.

OFFENSE (28)
QB (3): Rodgers, Flynn, Harrell
RB (4): Grant, Starks, Green
FB (2): Kuhn, QJ
TE (4): Finley, DJ Williams, Quarless, Taylor
WR (6): Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Cobb, West
OL (9): Clifton, Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, Sherrod, Newhouse, McDonald, Dietrich-Smith

I am predicting Crabtree is the toughest, most surprising cut.
Also, I am predicting that Chastin West is tried to be waived to our practice squad, but there's no way he'd make it as numerous teams would snatch a claim on him. So we keep him, but he's inactive unless we get some injuries at WR. We'd love him as KR.

DEFENSE & SPECIAL TEAMS (27)
DL (6): Pickett, BJ Raji, Neal, CJ Wilson, Green, Wynn
ILB (4): AJ Hawk, Bishop, DJ Smith, Elijah Joseph (over Francois, who I thought was bad on Sat, noticed 2 missed assignments)
OLB (4): Matthews, Walden, Jones, Lattimore
CB (6): Williams, Woodson, Shields, House, Bush, Gordy
S (4): Collins, Burnett, Peprah, Levine

K: Crosby
P: Masthay
LS: Goode
(PR/KR: Cobb)

IR: Zombo

bigboiajhawk
08-22-2011, 11:02 PM
I expect some guys to be "stashed" on IR with nagging injuries who TT & MM don't want to lose off the practice squad.
Davon House is a guy that's possible, but if he heals up and flashes in p-game 3 & 4, it's possible they release Bush because they really like Gordy. If they think Gordy can make it to the practice squad, they'll send him there.

OFFENSE (28)
OL (9): Clifton, Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, Sherrod, Newhouse, McDonald, Dietrich-Smith

Also, I am predicting that Chastin West is tried to be waived to our practice squad, but there's no way he'd make it as numerous teams would snatch a claim on him. So we keep him, but he's inactive unless we get some injuries at WR. We'd love him as KR.

ILB (4): AJ Hawk, Bishop, DJ Smith, Elijah Joseph (over Francois, who I thought was bad on Sat, noticed 2 missed assignments)

One question and then I will comment.

Can Zombo be put on the PUP? If so, he should, he needs to let that shoulder heal completely.

I think you might be right about Crabtree J-Mike. I think we only need one blocking TE and Quarless has looked pretty good in that regard, and he is clearly the better of the two at catching passes. However, Crabtree is jacked and he is by far the best blocker of the group, but once again, he isn't really a threat in the pass game, so if teams see him in there they can guess more than likely the Packers will be running. Whereas with Quarless it is a toss up. Either way, one of these guys will be cut: Quarless, Crabtree, or Taylor.

I think Dominguez makes it over E D-S due to the fact that he can play guard or, if needed, tackle, and I think he is a better prospect.

I am not really sure if Quinn Johnson makes it, especially with our current OLB and DE injuries. I really wish Guy would get over the concussions because I think he could be a legit 3-4 DE, but he needs PT. I also think So'oto is going to make it.

I really want the Packers to keep West, but 6 WRs is a lot, especially when you have J-Mike and DJ Williams. Therefore I don't see him being on the team.

I really want to watch the DB's this coming game to see guys like MD Jennings and Brandian Ross. I really think they are sleepers who could end up making this team.

I also want to end the Jarrett Bush/Pat Lee saga that we have watched for too long; get some fresh blood in there.

J-Mike88
08-23-2011, 05:37 AM
Our WRs are so deep (if you believe Chastin West is legit, as I do), that trading either Jones or Jordyzzz wouldn't be a bad move if it could be for someone who upgrades us at a position (LG or ROLB) as much as it would upgrade the other team at WR.

Donald still has it.
Cobb and West's futures are bright. Jennings is just entering his prime..... James & Jordyzzz have yet to hit theirs.

princefielder28
08-23-2011, 06:12 AM
One question and then I will comment.

Can Zombo be put on the PUP? If so, he should, he needs to let that shoulder heal completely.

He can't be put on the PUP list since he's participated in practices/games

CheeseKnuckles
08-23-2011, 08:21 AM

OFFENSE (28)

Looks good to me J-Mike. With Zombo getting injured I wonder how OLB will play out. Lattimore and So' Oto need to step it up, which ever one can stand out a bit could probably make the team.

I think MD Jennings and Brandian Ross are locks to make the PS, but I don't think either will be able to crack the actual 53 man roster.

Also I hope they can somehow hide Gurley on the PS, but I think the chances are slim. You can't teach 6'4 with a amazing wing span lol.

mqtirishfan
08-23-2011, 11:19 PM

OFFENSE (28)

I like it, and would probably cut off Levine or Bush and Quinn Johnson if I had to get us to 53, and maybe replace Lattimore with So'oto. It'd be nice to have a little more security at LB and S, but such is life.

PackerLegend
08-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Did anyone else see this crap on PFT.com?

Ryan Grant in danger of not making the Packers

When healthy, Ryan Grant has been the Packers’ starting running back since 2007. But after a 2010 season in which he was lost for the season in Week 1, Grant is now in danger of not even making the team.

Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel reports that Dimitri Nance, whom the Packers picked up to replace Grant last season, may push Grant out of a job as the final running back on the Packers’ 53-man roster.

According to Silverstein, running backs James Starks, Alex Green and John Kuhn are locks to survive the final cuts on September 3, but Grant is not.

It’s hard to envision Grant being out of a job after topping 1,200 yards in both 2008 and 2009. But the Packers showed in 2010 that they could win without him, and when you consider that Grant’s base salary is $3.5 million while Nance’s salary is $525,000, not to mention the fact that Grant is six years older than Nance, it becomes easier to see how the Packers could decide to let Grant go.

And so the running back who entered last season as the Packers’ starter may have some work to do in the final two preseason games just to show that he belongs on the team at all.

So we are going to cut a guy we just payed a 2 million dollar bonus? For Dimitri Nance who has showed nothing in preseason at all. Maybe its because he did so well last year..... 36 Rushes for 95 yards a 2.6 avg. There is no way in hell this happens.

J-Mike88
08-24-2011, 03:56 PM
I'd be pissed, and shocked, if we cut Grant.
He's always been productive, a great fit for this offense.
Which is why Teddy brought him here.
He's one of Ted's gems.
He has to stay.
He appears healthy.
Starks isn't, and Starks has never been healthy for a full season.

jackalope
08-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Did anyone else see this crap on PFT.com?

So we are going to cut a guy we just payed a 2 million dollar bonus? For Dimitri Nance who has showed nothing in preseason at all. Maybe its because he did so well last year..... 36 Rushes for 95 yards a 2.6 avg. There is no way in hell this happens.

Well, I wouldn't blame PFT since they were just going with what Silverstein wrote. I agree it's ridiculous though. Grant is still the team's number one back, even if Starks is going to start taking some carries. I have no idea why you would release him to keep a guy like Nance. I don't think cutting Nance is a big deal at all.

BloodBrother
08-24-2011, 04:11 PM
There is also a report now that Grant took a pay cut earlier this month.

Says his salary cup number has been trimmed from $5.65 million to roughly $3.87 million

bigboiajhawk
08-24-2011, 04:36 PM
No way Grant gets released, the Packers do not need cap savings right now. If they really wanted to release him, they would have done it before and, hopefully, resigned Jenkins.

PackerLegend
08-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Posted today about 2 hours after the 1st by someone else on the same website.... Yet even more reasons why that previous article was so stupid. Cant believe times are this slow during preseason that they need to write that worthless ****.

By Bob McGinn

Running back Ryan Grant probably strengthened his chances of making the final roster of the Green Bay Packers by accepting a $1 million reduction in his base salary this season in exchange for a guaranteed contract.

On Aug. 9, the Packers and Alan Herman, the agent for Grant, agreed to a restructuring in which Grant's base salary was reduced from $3.5 million to $2.5 million. His cap salary this year decreased from $4.797 million to $3.797 million, which gives the Packers an extra $1 million of room to resign veterans such as Josh Sitton and Jermichael Finley.

However, Grant's new base salary of $2.5 million was fully guaranteed against both skill and injury. His previous base of $3.5 million was not guaranteed.

Thus, if the Packers were to cut Grant on the final roster reduction Sept. 3, they now would have to pay him the $2.5 million. Before the restructuring, they wouldn't have had to pay him the $3.5 million if he was cut before the start of the regular season.

No other changes were made to the final year of the four-year, $18 million contract that Grant signed in August 2008.

Earlier this month, Grant was paid a roster bonus of $1 million paid on the 15th day of the NFL year. He can earn another $750,00 in roster bonuses by being active for every game.

cvv84
08-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Well, I wouldn't blame PFT since they were just going with what Silverstein wrote. I agree it's ridiculous though. Grant is still the team's number one back, even if Starks is going to start taking some carries. I have no idea why you would release him to keep a guy like Nance. I don't think cutting Nance is a big deal at all.

You said it. Bad article, period.

Nance has shown nothing so far. This is just like the article on Sherrod making him sound like a complete flop. Desperate reporting at best.

SuperPacker
08-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Its not like we would be making a massive saving by cutting Grant but he adds a lot to the team so cutting him would be stupid. Maybe we can afford to let him go in free agency next year once Green and Starks have both grown a bit but right now i think Grant should be seeing about 70% of carries.

tjsunstein
08-24-2011, 07:50 PM
The Packers - Cardinals re run is on a midnight (ET) on NFLN. I'm finally going to catch it. What should I look for?

princefielder28
08-24-2011, 07:55 PM
The Packers - Cardinals re run is on a midnight (ET) on NFLN. I'm finally going to catch it. What should I look for?

play at left guard and try to find anyone who can pass rush out there

tjsunstein
08-24-2011, 08:09 PM
play at left guard and try to find anyone who can pass rush out there
Sounds like a promising one for our depth. (sarcasm)

BloodBrother
08-24-2011, 08:28 PM
You get to see Masthay continue to be a beast at punter

SuperPacker
08-25-2011, 06:10 PM

Chastin West and J Finley!!

Mr.Regular
08-25-2011, 07:36 PM
So, I've been to GB twice (both for Training Camp) and I've wanted to go to a real game many times but never got the chance (8ish hours away).

But, it's official. Bought my tickets for opening night. Beyond pumped, this should be awesome.

PS Stock Sale?! Hellz yeah, ownership here I come.

J-Mike88
08-25-2011, 07:44 PM
So, I've been to GB twice (both for Training Camp) and I've wanted to go to a real game many times but never got the chance (8ish hours away).

But, it's official. Bought my tickets for opening night. Beyond pumped, this should be awesome.
THAT's AWESOME!
Good for you dude!
You better not be bad luck.

I'm going to the game at San Diego. Hope both teams are like 7-0 for that matchup!

SuperPacker
08-26-2011, 04:36 AM

But, it's official. Bought my tickets for opening night. Beyond pumped, this should be awesome

Thats great man!! I still need to see my first GB game aswell, its hard though as i live in the UK. Im going on holiday to America next year so maybe that will be the year :)

drowe
08-26-2011, 11:07 AM

Fantastic!

I'm not going to the game, but Mrs drowe and I are gonna make a point of walking around the stadium district on Thursday afternoon to enjoy the festivities. Should be fun!

Tip: go to the Oneida Street area on Wed and Thursday. Pretty sure you'll run into some players. They all eat around there because it's close to the stadium. Noodles, Panera, Qdoba...places like that. I don't think i've ever gone to one of those places around game time without seeing somebody.

tjsunstein
08-26-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm going to be upset if we lose Chastin West. We need to find a way to keep him. I'm completely sold on him. Our lack of depth in the defensive front 7 may stop that front happening.

The idea of moving James Jones was brought up, and I like it. Obviously, I don't think it happens with the way we brought him back and the kind of support he had from his teammates, most importantly A-Rodg, when he was still on the market.

J-Mike88
08-26-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm going to be upset if we lose Chastin West. We need to find a way to keep him. I'm completely sold on him. Our lack of depth in the defensive front 7 may stop that front happening.

The idea of moving James Jones was brought up, and I like it. Obviously, I don't think it happens with the way we brought him back and the kind of support he had from his teammates, most importantly A-Rodg, when he was still on the market.
Chastin West has a potentially very bright NFL Future, and Ted being the guy who brought him here, I would think and hope he does everything possible to keep him here.

Don't be surprised to see the ole IR-ploy used somehow here..... hopefully none of our WRs will really have to go on IR at anytime.

What's Chastin's size & speed compared to Jordy and James?

bigboiajhawk
08-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Chastin West - 4.59 40 15 reps at 225 33.5inch vert
James Jones - 4.54 40 22 reps at 225 34inch vert
Jordy Nelson - 4.51 40 x reps at 225 31inch vert
Greg Jennings - 4.42 40 x reps at 225 36.5inch vert
Randall Cobb - 4.46 40 16 reps at 225 33.5inch vert
Tori Gurley - 4.53 40 15 reps at 225 33.5inch vert

Ryan Grant - 4.43 40 17 reps at 225 33.5inch vert
James Starks - 4.50 40 15 reps at 225 36inch vert
Alex Green - 4.45 40 20 reps at 225 34inch vert
Dimitri Nance - 4.64 40 19 reps at 225 33inch vert
Brandon Saine - 4.40 40 22 reps at 225 34.5inch vert

All of these came from the combine or pro-day, whichever came first.

jackalope
08-26-2011, 02:58 PM
I went back and watched West's plays last week to see if I was missing something. He looks like a guy deserving of an NFL roster spot and potential to become something more. Did not look like a guy we should be rearranging our receiver plans over. Seems like an overreaction to one big play. We'll see how he plays tonight.

cvv84
08-26-2011, 05:54 PM
I know its only the preseason but I'm excited to finally be able to watch my 1st Packers game of the season!!

princefielder28
08-26-2011, 06:02 PM

I'll be going opening night as well...that day can't get here soon enough

dswedswe12
08-27-2011, 03:30 AM
I love it seriously

J-Mike88
08-27-2011, 08:37 AM
I went back and watched West's plays last week to see if I was missing something. He looks like a guy deserving of an NFL roster spot and potential to become something more. Did not look like a guy we should be rearranging our receiver plans over. Seems like an overreaction to one big play. We'll see how he plays tonight.
He played well.
Nobody needs to rearrange our receiving plans over him, Jordy, or James.
Finley and Jennings are the only ones at that level.

But I see enough in Chastin to believe he'd be quite a few teams 3rd best WR.

Clifton looked bad last night.
Morgan Burnett showed why many of us wanted to keep Peprah as the starter.
His blown assignment was rookie-like. They seem to want to cram him in there because he's faster. Just like they tried to cram Spitz in at center over Wells a year ago because of his measurables. Just gotta go by what they do on the field.

Good to see Crosby make a (kinda) clutch game-winning kick.

So'oto has to make the team.

cvv84
08-27-2011, 10:06 AM
He played well.
Nobody needs to rearrange our receiving plans over him, Jordy, or James.
Finley and Jennings are the only ones at that level.

But I see enough in Chastin to believe he'd be quite a few teams 3rd best WR.

Clifton looked bad last night.
Morgan Burnett showed why many of us wanted to keep Peprah as the starter.
His blown assignment was rookie-like. They seem to want to cram him in there because he's faster. Just like they tried to cram Spitz in at center over Wells a year ago because of his measurables. Just gotta go by what they do on the field.

Good to see Crosby make a (kinda) clutch game-winning kick.

So'oto has to make the team.

West may be a developmental guy but he's still shown more than any other bubble WR on the roster. Swain has given us little since he was drafted and West could potentially be a better Ruvell Martin. Unfortunately though I think he's not going to make the team. We already have 5 guys in Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, and Cobb so keeping 6 WRs would be unprecedented. Especially considering our glut of TEs.

Clifton's play just shows that we need keep Sherrod at OT and let him develop there. Newhouse is also a nice insurance guy though Sherrod's size and athleticism are the future. The entire offensive line needs to get it together. They all played poorly.

I like Burnett and yes he made some big mistakes but hopefully getting more reps will help that. He played alot last night after missing the majority of his rookie season. Peprah isn't going anywhere so we do have options.

So'oto looked pretty good last night. I just wish we had someone standout opposite Clay and lockdown the job.

BloodBrother
08-27-2011, 12:23 PM
They are playing Burnett because he's faster and has more ability overall...but, if he is going to play like he did yesterday then I'll take the solid Peprah as starter right now

I'm concerned about Shields the most though in that secondary. He looks like he has regressed this year

CheeseKnuckles
08-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Whats everybody feeling about the OLB situation... Depending on how long Zombo is out, I would like to see us keep both Lattimore and So'oto over Brad Jones. I feel like that experiment should be over. Both UDFAs impressed me last night. Lattimore needs to add a little size to his frame, but I love his athletic ability. So'oto is just a beast, I wouldn't want to get in his way.

J-Mike88
08-27-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm concerned about Shields the most though in that secondary. He looks like he has regressed this year
Shields really only gave up a few shortish passes to Reggie Wayne last night. I don't see anything to be worried about there.

He wasn't the one toasted on the Wayne TD. That was Burnett.
Davon House made a few awful plays though.... but he's young and rusty.
Whats everybody feeling about the OLB situation... Depending on how long Zombo is out, I would like to see us keep both Lattimore and So'oto over Brad Jones. I feel like that experiment should be over. Both UDFAs impressed me last night. Lattimore needs to add a little size to his frame, but I love his athletic ability. So'oto is just a beast, I wouldn't want to get in his way.
I agree.... what has Brad Jones done? I can't remember him making any plays. I can remember him being hurt.
I watched him on a play last night and he was stonewalled by a TE. Invisible on a passing play.

CheeseKnuckles
08-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Shields really only gave up a few shortish passes to Reggie Wayne last night. I don't see anything to be worried about there.

He wasn't the one toasted on the Wayne TD. That was Burnett.
Davon House made a few awful plays though.... but he's young and rusty.

I agree.... what has Brad Jones done? I can't remember him making any plays. I can remember him being hurt.
I watched him on a play last night and he was stonewalled by a TE. Invisible on a passing play.

Replace him with two pairs of fresh legs... Both guys bring their own things to the table. I think Lattimore has the potential to be a very good player 1-2 yrs down the road. He's pretty quick and explosive.

J-Mike88
08-28-2011, 06:32 AM
I like Lattimore too.
I liked hearing him talk about needing to gain some weight.... kid seems to have a good attitude.

Great name too.

cvv84
08-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Packers cut:

Spencer Havner
Brett Swain
Theo Sherman

J-Mike88
08-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Packers cut:

Spencer Havner
Brett Swain
Theo Sherman
Havner had no chance.
Swain's days were done the day they drafted Cobb.
I'm still glad I got to wait, walk, and chat in line to get into the Super Bowl, with Swain's sister and mom. Very memorable.

Tough cuts looking...... Jordy and Jones' knees are a bit worrisome right now... hopefully both minor stuff.

SuperPacker
08-29-2011, 04:30 AM
Packers cut:

Spencer Havner
Brett Swain
Theo Sherman

Glad Swain has finally gone!! He adds nothing to the offense and should be replaced by West and Cobb. Im hoping we go 6 at WR then go 2 at QB, 3 at TE and 2 at FB.

IMO it should be....

QB - Rodgers & Harrell (Trade out Flynn)

RB - Grant, Starks & Green

FB - Kuhn & Johnson

TE - Finley, DJ Williams, & Taylor (Let Quarless & Crabtree go)

WR - Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Jones, Cobb & West

CheeseKnuckles
08-29-2011, 06:18 AM
Glad Swain has finally gone!! He adds nothing to the offense and should be replaced by West and Cobb. Im hoping we go 6 at WR then go 2 at QB, 3 at TE and 2 at FB.

IMO it should be....

QB - Rodgers & Harrell (Trade out Flynn)

RB - Grant, Starks & Green

FB - Kuhn & Johnson

TE - Finley, DJ Williams, & Taylor (Let Quarless & Crabtree go)

WR - Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Jones, Cobb & West

I am probably in the minority in this thought, but if I am MM/TT and it comes down to whether or not they want to keep 6 WRs... I would keep Gurley over West. IMO Gurley's ceiling is much higher than West's, at this point West is obviously the more polished reciever, but the fact is that there are many 6'1 WRs in the league and even on this team. Gurley's 6'4 frame ( and longest wingspan at the combine ) bring a whole different skill set to the team and I like the fact that he can go up high and pick balls out of the sky.

Trust me I like West, but I just think you can't pass up Gurley's size and potential. I guess cuts will be interesting to see how MM/TT feel about this situation.

SuperPacker
08-29-2011, 06:42 AM
I am probably in the minority in this thought, but if I am MM/TT and it comes down to whether or not they want to keep 6 WRs... I would keep Gurley over West. IMO Gurley's ceiling is much higher than West's, at this point West is obviously the more polished reciever, but the fact is that there are many 6'1 WRs in the league and even on this team. Gurley's 6'4 frame ( and longest wingspan at the combine ) bring a whole different skill set to the team and I like the fact that he can go up high and pick balls out of the sky.

Trust me I like West, but I just think you can't pass up Gurley's size and potential. I guess cuts will be interesting to see how MM/TT feel about this situation.

What about cutting Driver and getting West and Gurley? I know i will probably get shot down for saying that but he shouldnt just have a certain place just because its Driver. Gurley and West have more potential and will be better in the long run for the team than driver.

CheeseKnuckles
08-29-2011, 08:24 AM
What about cutting Driver and getting West and Gurley? I know i will probably get shot down for saying that but he shouldnt just have a certain place just because its Driver. Gurley and West have more potential and will be better in the long run for the team than driver.

Yeah I've read some rumblings of this scenario already, but I think with a shortened offseason it is important to keep the veterans around because they are familiar with the offense. DD has a knack for getting himself open when Rodgers is scrambling for a open WR. I do understand your thinking though... build for the future.

jackalope
08-29-2011, 10:02 AM
I would attempt to trade one of the excess receivers. If we can't find anything, just go with five and try to sign Gurley to the PS.

J-Mike88
08-29-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm not that impressed with Gurley to be honest.
West is clearly a better wide receiver.... "ceilings" are a funny thing sometimes.
Few guys reach those "ceilings" we place on them.

I already like what Chastin West brings to the table, and I believe so does MM and TT.

I'd love to parlay Jordy or James for a nice addition at OLB, but who are we gonna get?

cvv84
08-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Guys lets be honest, its going to take injuries to at least 2 of our current 5 WRs in order for West or Gurley to have value. Even with an aging Donald Driver we still have 3 guys who are capable starters (Jennings, Nelson, Jones) and 1 very promising player in Cobb.

I like West the most of our "6th WR" canidates but realistically we're better off keeping 3 or 4 TEs or an extra DL or LB.

tjsunstein
08-29-2011, 04:18 PM
My love for Ryan Grant has decreased substantially since a year ago.

PackerLegend
08-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Do we really need Quinn Johnson... I mean he is kind of a tank but using a roster spot for him.... mehhh

cvv84
08-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Do we really need Quinn Johnson... I mean he is kind of a tank but using a roster spot for him.... mehhh

He's definetly on the bubble, and the wrong side at that. Interesting though that D.J. Williams hasn't really played much of the H-back role.

My love for Ryan Grant has decreased substantially since a year ago.

Ultimately I think that would be for any RB on our offense though. I like Grant but they need to run a timeshare at RB. Starks just has better vision and power. Sprinkle in Green here and there and we could actually have a sufficent running game.

tjsunstein
08-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Ultimately I think that would be for any RB on our offense though. I like Grant but they need to run a timeshare at RB. Starks just has better vision and power. Sprinkle in Green here and there and we could actually have a sufficent running game.
Without a doubt. Starks and Green are really all we need, in my opinion. Grant isn't worth the money and roster spot at this point. Not that he isn't serviceable, he's just not necessary for this team to get going. I'd rather spend the cash and spot in the defensive front 7. But, I'm just nitpicking.

I'm also very high on Green. I think he was a steal for our offense.

CheeseKnuckles
08-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Just read this article, I'm banking on Lattimore making the team. Taking reps with the 1st team special teams units sometimes says something.

http://www.totalpackers.com/2011/08/29/training-camp-observations-8-29-full-pads/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+totalpackers+%28Total+Packers %29

Mr.Regular
08-29-2011, 11:43 PM
I say we roll with 5 TE's. Crazy, maybe, but I'm thinking Quinn is gone at FB so that frees open a spot. I don't want to lose any of those guys, all of them have real good value.

As for the 6th WR debate...meh.. I like Gurley's potential, but if we have to keep 6, might as well be West. He looks much more polished. Keeping 5 would be fine too, we have weapons galore, it's not really necessary.

Want to pipe in on Brad Jones too. I'd be fine with him getting the boot. He just hasn't done much of anything. It's not like he has some insane potential we're waiting on either. Might as well give one of these guys, like Lattimore, a chance.

SuperPacker
08-30-2011, 04:48 AM
Yeah Brad Jones has to go!!

TimmG6376
08-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Without a doubt. Starks and Green are really all we need, in my opinion. Grant isn't worth the money and roster spot at this point. Not that he isn't serviceable, he's just not necessary for this team to get going. I'd rather spend the cash and spot in the defensive front 7. But, I'm just nitpicking.

I'm also very high on Green. I think he was a steal for our offense.

At his original cap number I would agree, but at $1 mil I think it is worth keeping him around. Starks and Green are likely the future. Not sold on Nance. I think Grant's experience will come in handy at some point this season and if he holds up he might have some trade value.

J-Mike88
08-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Grant is too cheap to not keep.
Plus he's been very productive. Remember, 9/10 teams nowadays are RB-by-committee. Until the foot was broken last year, he was a workhorse.
He stays and he should stay.

Starks and Green are both going to have their share of injuries anyway, minor or major, who knows.

cvv84
08-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Want to pipe in on Brad Jones too. I'd be fine with him getting the boot. He just hasn't done much of anything. It's not like he has some insane potential we're waiting on either. Might as well give one of these guys, like Lattimore, a chance.

I think he stays - at least for a little while. Mainly because of our lack of depth at LB and he was playing some ILB earlier in camp. With Zombo out until October we have alot more unknowns so even with Jones injury past I think he has to stay for now.

cvv84
08-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Grant is too cheap to not keep.
Plus he's been very productive. Remember, 9/10 teams nowadays are RB-by-committee. Until the foot was broken last year, he was a workhorse.
He stays and he should stay.

Starks and Green are both going to have their share of injuries anyway, minor or major, who knows.

Exactally, let Starks and Green get broken in this year. This season is basically an audition for Grant on weather he'll be back in 2012-13 or not.

princefielder28
08-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Grant's contract is guaranteed for the year and it makes more sense to pay him on the team, in whatever role that may be, rather than off the team, where he can't help the team in any manner

tjsunstein
08-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Remind me why we even bother keeping Nance around?

PackerLegend
08-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Packers cut Adrian Battles, K.C. Asiodu, Antonio Robinson....

Your probably saying who? But anyways I think that puts them at the 80 limit for Today. So 27 more cuts to go by Sat night.

Grant has/needs to stay

We have alot of potential at TE at I dont really want to lose any. 5s alot but just dump Quinn Johnson.

Brad Jones I would like to stay. Only because he atleast has some experience in our D. All the backups now left with Zombo out have only a month of experience. We are really young there.