PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84

RockJock07
12-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Just a quick check but does the "pressure off now" really help?

IMO the 30 min section on Tebow today basically said to me that sure there was pressure but that the Packers were still not the main story of this NFL season. Or maybe it wasn't the pressure of getting to 14-0 but that it would start to mount significantly at 17-0 or 18-0 when Tebow wasn't in the playoffs.

I don't want to say that they went out and tried to give it away but I guess my feeling is that they really didn't seemed that effected by losing.

Aaron seemed lost without Jennings because if Finley or Driver drop passes or Cobb runs the wrong route he knows that sable Jennings is going to be there to snare a pass out of the air or get that tough 3rd down conversion.

I'm very interested in how they respond next week and how MM plays the rest of the season out. I expect SF to lose tomorrow so that, in theory, would wrap up everything. If Tavaris Jackson can crush the bears on the Road Matt Flynn can win at home with 3 quarters with Aaron playing the 1st.

Overall the defense is what it is and I expect them to be what they have been for the rest of the season but protecting Aaron is the bigger issue that must be fixed ASAP.

Thanks for listening to my rambling.

jackalope
12-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Jennings would have helped, but any quarterback is going to look lost with that many drops and an offensive line in shambles. By the end of the game the line was decimated and Rodgers was understandably uncomfortable back there.

Apparently this referee crew hates Jordy. Not only the two pass interference calls, but also the illegal touching on the onside kick. Jordy touched the ball 17 yards down field and they flagged him for touching it within 10. The refs were far from the biggest reason we lost, but that was baffling to me.

princefielder28
12-19-2011, 06:34 AM
Apparently this referee crew hates Jordy. Not only the two pass interference calls, but also the illegal touching on the onside kick. Jordy touched the ball 17 yards down field and they flagged him for touching it within 10. The refs were far from the biggest reason we lost, but that was baffling to me.

The ref stated the penalty incorrectly; Jordy stepped out of bounds and was the first player to touch the ball equating to an illegal touching

some thoughts from the game

-Aaron's play went way downhill as our line became more beat up, but you could see right from the start of the game that the passing game was dysfunctional

-Ryan Grant has run the ball well the last two weeks; not having Starks or Saine for passing downs hurts because Ryan isn't a pass ctacher

-Newhouse has the ability to be a spot starter/quality backup in the league and at this point he's not playing very well at all

-EDS shouldn't be on the 53 man roster...the guy is garbage on the football field

-Week after week it's the same story with our pass rush, we need someone opposite of Clay Matthews who can create pressure as well...Clay was non-existent in the game

-Morgan Burnett is a strong safety in the league and him needing to play more coverage, especially deep, is bad news

J-Mike88
12-19-2011, 07:47 AM
Question for all of you:

Why is everyone so worked up about the #1 seed instead of the #2 seed?

Let me say this: The 49ers aren't even going to get the #2 seed. They will drop to the #3 seed, book it. That means if hey win their wildcard game, they will then travel to the Superdome and get routed by Brees and the Saints.

It means that we will host whoever else survives between Detroit, Dallas, or the Giants most likely.

Then if we win, we'll host New Orleans.

If the miracle happened where SF wins tonight over Pittsburgh, and then at Seattle and at St Louis, AND we lose BOTH of our remaining games, then we flip-flop and get the #2 seed, and we get the Saints in GB in our first playoff game, and then would have to go to SF, or more likely, host Dallas. Dallas already beat them in SF this year.

The bottom line for me regarding those teams, is I want the 49ers to stay above the Saints because I want the Saints to have to play them in San Fran because Brees is a machine at home, but away from home, well he's lost to the Bucs and Rams this year, and lost at Seattle last playoffs. Make them travel. I think the 49ers could beat them in Candlestick.

Again, we need to somehow stablize our OL though.

And our defense..... Mike Neal has done as much as Justin Harrell has.

J-Mike88
12-19-2011, 08:25 AM
DE Mike Neal had one sack, three hurries and five tackles in 78 snaps as rookie.

In 93 this yr., he has one hurry and no tackles.

BloodBrother
12-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Well, they focused on the offense this last draft and it helped them go from scoring 24 ppg to 34 ppg. This upcoming offseason they need to focus on the D. They really need to find that stud OLB opposite Clay...then obviously shore up on the DL.

Also, I kind of want the Niners to win tonight. Rather they wrap up the #2 seed instead of the Saints. Force them to have to play an extra game then have to go on the road. Saints are unbeatable in their dome, period

J-Mike88
12-19-2011, 10:00 AM
#1: This upcoming offseason they need to focus on the D. They really need to find that stud OLB opposite Clay...then obviously shore up on the DL.

#2: I kind of want the Niners to win tonight. Rather they wrap up the #2 seed instead of the Saints. Force them to have to play an extra game then have to go on the road. Saints are unbeatable in their dome, period

#1- ABSOLUTELY, but we, you, could see this problem since week one this season. I was mad that when Aaron Curry became available from Seattle, we didn't take a chance. He's talented.... we go after street bums like Walden, Zombo, guys with no big upside, I was disappointed we didn't bring in Curry. He's a recent top-10 pick with talent. I felt our scheme would have helped him, and him help us.

#2- ABSOLUTELY, I want the Saints to have to play an extra game (wildcard weekend), then have to go TO SAN FRAN, which is a climate and situation similar to last year when the Saints were knocked out at Seattle. Actually, San Fran is a lot better than that Seahawk team that beat them.

I don't see the Niners coming to Green Bay in an NFCCG and going to the Super Bowl. The Saints, perhaps. Also, I worry about our first playoff game which would be against either Dallas, NYG, Phi, or Detroit.

BloodBrother
12-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Pass rushing is not one of Curry's strengths. I was expecting them to find a OLB this past draft but they didn't even draft one. Can't ignore it any longer

and boy the loss of Jenkins really hurt the line. Wynn/Neal/CJ Wilson have done literally nothing all year

princefielder28
12-19-2011, 10:26 AM
As a solution for our defensive deficiancies I think we should kick Bishop outside when both him and Hawk are healthy and start DJ Smith as the other inside backer...they are our best four (obviously Clay included) that we can put out there and Bishop has shown the ability to after the passer when sparingly asked to do so

SuperPacker
12-19-2011, 10:45 AM
All our starters need to be rested until thd playoffs. The guys i dont wanna see get another snap are:

Rodgers
Nelson
Finley
Starks
Sitton
Raji
Matthews
Bishop
Williams
Woodson

jackalope
12-19-2011, 11:51 AM
This April, I think it's pretty clear we should go defensive line and outside linebacker with the first two picks, assuming it lines up reasonably well. With the shape of the roster at this point we can afford to trade up in the first round if there's a real impact guy. That could go a very long way in shoring up the defense's problems.

J-Mike88
12-19-2011, 12:43 PM
As a solution for our defensive deficiancies I think we should kick Bishop outside when both him and Hawk are healthy and start DJ Smith as the other inside backer...they are our best four (obviously Clay included) that we can put out there and Bishop has shown the ability to after the passer when sparingly asked to do so
I'll buy that.
Also, I want Francois in there on passing downs against TEs such as V Davis or J Graham..... Hawk is atrocious there, and DJ Smith way too short against guys like that.

TimmG6376
12-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Walden has been in the league/system long enough that he shouldn't be having these technique and assignment issues. What is Zombo's status? I hope after the draft we won't have to worry about which undrafted or street FA they will be starting at OLB opposite Clay.

EDIT: Just read that Zombo replaced Walden and was the one responsible for losing contain on the game clinching drive.

Performance issues: Outside linebacker Erik Walden was pulled from the starting lineup late in the game for what he said was "a coach's decision", but he made no bones about it, he deserved to be benched.

"They took advantage of a poor performance, and I'm simply talking about myself," Walden said of the Chiefs' offensive day. "You know when you've done a good job and when you haven't played well. I'm a man, I hold myself accountable and today, I wasn't accountable."

Walden's biggest problem during the game was holding contain on the right side. The Chiefs continually ran screen plays and end arounds to his side, predicting correctly that he would commit too far inside and allow the play to go outside.

The decision was made to pull him from the game late in the fourth quarter.

"My alignment and my technique was poor and it came back to bite me at the end," Walden said. "It's something you never wish to happen. But now it's what you do from this point."

SuperPacker
12-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Talking of drafting an OLB and DE, two guys who i think will be worthy of trading up to get would be Whitney Mercilus to play opposite Clay or Devon Still to play the 3-4 DE.

Its pretty ovbious the defense needs to get better, however i dont agree with everyone blaming this loss on the defense.The offense needs to learn how to score points when the defense isnt getting turnovers which was always going to happen eventually.

BloodBrother
12-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Zombo has completely stunk this year whenever he has actually been healthy enough to play. WAlden, sadly, is their best option opposite Clay right now. That isn't changing at all the rest of the way, but it certainly needs to before the start of next season

princefielder28
12-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Talking of drafting an OLB and DE, two guys who i think will be worthy of trading up to get would be Whitney Mercilus to play opposite Clay or Devon Still to play the 3-4 DE.

Its pretty ovbious the defense needs to get better, however i dont agree with everyone blaming this loss on the defense.The offense needs to learn how to score points when the defense isnt getting turnovers which was always going to happen eventually.

Mercilus is one prospect that I would avoid at all costs...his stats are misleading to the impact that he actually has and the abilities that he possesses; plus I don't see him as a guy who we'd want to have stand up, think he's more of an even front end

Still is a solid player but I wouldn't invest a first round pick on him...he got dominated by Kevin Zeitler and that is troubling because you'd like to see him play well against NFL caliber talent if you're going to go after him

Andre Branch is a player that interests me as a OLB option because he has shown in games that he works well in space and can even drop back into zone coverage when asked...Vinny Curry is another guy I like quite a bit and he seems to be the only one that fits into the first round

at defensive end I like Derek Wolfe and Billy Winn as potential options for the Packers early on in the draft...Rennie Moore is a late round guy that really intrigues me

J-Mike88
12-19-2011, 02:32 PM
0Zi0xiIiUBw&feature=player_embedded

If you're feeling down about our problems, this will uplift you.
Plus it's flatout funny,

SuperPacker
12-19-2011, 05:11 PM
0Zi0xiIiUBw&feature=player_embedded

If you're feeling down about our problems, this will uplift you.
Plus it's flatout funny,

I love how you say PROBLEMS like we actually have probblems.

J-Mike88
12-19-2011, 06:48 PM
I love how you say PROBLEMS like we actually have probblems.
Our record is not a problem, but once the tourney starts, those records mean nothing.

Clearly there's some concern with the health & performance of the offensive line, and the defense as a whole.

CheeseKnuckles
12-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Mercilus is one prospect that I would avoid at all costs...his stats are misleading to the impact that he actually has and the abilities that he possesses; plus I don't see him as a guy who we'd want to have stand up, think he's more of an even front end

Still is a solid player but I wouldn't invest a first round pick on him...he got dominated by Kevin Zeitler and that is troubling because you'd like to see him play well against NFL caliber talent if you're going to go after him

Andre Branch is a player that interests me as a OLB option because he has shown in games that he works well in space and can even drop back into zone coverage when asked...Vinny Curry is another guy I like quite a bit and he seems to be the only one that fits into the first round

at defensive end I like Derek Wolfe and Billy Winn as potential options for the Packers early on in the draft...Rennie Moore is a late round guy that really intrigues me

I am also high on Derek Wolfe. As far as guys at OLB that I like are Shea McClellin/Brandon Lindsay/Nice Perry.

J-Mike88
12-19-2011, 09:25 PM
M*****F******
That's just not fair.
Any medical people here?
Is this even something he can ever come back from and still be good?
F*** you Newhouse.... block Hali for once and hold him down like they do to Matthews all the time, and this doesn't happen.

#Packers rookie T Derek Sherrod broke both the tibia and fibula in his right leg, according to a source. http://tinyurl.com/7295gr6

TimmG6376
12-20-2011, 12:53 PM
M*****F******
That's just not fair.
Any medical people here?
Is this even something he can ever come back from and still be good?
F*** you Newhouse.... block Hali for once and hold him down like they do to Matthews all the time, and this doesn't happen.

#Packers rookie T Derek Sherrod broke both the tibia and fibula in his right leg, according to a source. http://tinyurl.com/7295gr6

I'm no doctor, but I think breaks have a better prognosis for full recovery than if he had blown out both his ACL and MCL. As long as there was no ligament damage I'm hopeful he can come back from this.

TimmG6376
12-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Also, anyone watch the game last night? Vernon Davis showed Jermichael what he needs to do if he wants to be one of the highest paid TEs in the league.

J-Mike88
12-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Also, anyone watch the game last night? Vernon Davis showed Jermichael what he needs to do if he wants to be one of the highest paid TEs in the league.
Exactly.
Or he can look to New Orleans (Jimmy Graham), or New England to see how TEs should A) get open, and B) catch the ****ing ball.

On Vernon Davis, that's a guy who's hurt us in the past, and now that our defense truly sucks, with their strong running game and improved Alex Smith, our cold climate in late January might be a bad thing for us playing them..... if they get past the Saints.

I just hope we make it there though of course, and will take the Saints or Niners at Lambeau. But it won't be a cakewalk. We need to stabilize the OL and whole ***** defense.

Who is OT Herbert Taylor?
We signed him today.
With our #1, #2, and #3 or #4 OT's injured, Taylor will be playing soon.

SuperPacker
12-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Exactly.
Or he can look to New Orleans (Jimmy Graham), or New England to see how TEs should A) get open, and B) catch the ****ing ball.

On Vernon Davis, that's a guy who's hurt us in the past, and now that our defense truly sucks, with their strong running game and improved Alex Smith, our cold climate in late January might be a bad thing for us playing them..... if they get past the Saints.

I just hope we make it there though of course, and will take the Saints or Niners at Lambeau. But it won't be a cakewalk. We need to stabilize the OL and whole ***** defense.

Who is OT Herbert Taylor?
We signed him today.
With our #1, #2, and #3 or #4 OT's injured, Taylor will be playing soon.

He cant be much worse that Newhouse and Deitrich-Smith so he could see some playing time!

J-Mike88
12-20-2011, 09:38 PM
What would your word be for Theismann here? http://fanrankings.nfl.com/results/experts?module=HP11_hot_topics

BloodBrother
12-21-2011, 04:22 AM
That he is an idiot who just continues to prove that...he's an idiot

Whatever, I hope the fickle media has jumped ship and has now latched on to some other team to slurp. They get paid to make kneejerk reactions to get viewers/hits, that's all this is by Theismann

BloodBrother
12-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Anybody receive their share(s) yet? Just got mine today...looks really nice. Keeping it in the envelope in came in until I get a frame to put it in. Hoping to get a packers themed one from their shop or somewhere

cvv84
12-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Anybody receive their share(s) yet? Just got mine today...looks really nice. Keeping it in the envelope in came in until I get a frame to put it in. Hoping to get a packers themed one from their shop or somewhere

Mine just showed up today!

PackerLegend
12-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Mine just showed up today!

got mine today as well!

BloodBrother
12-25-2011, 02:32 AM
Nice!

was lookin at frames from this place. Click on the ad at the top about Packers frames

globalrecognition.com

as well as this

http://www.giveashare.com/frames-for-green-bay-packers-stock.shtml?gclid=CK6Qh5nalK0CFYvDKgodnx5hkw

cvv84
12-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Nice!

was lookin at frames from this place. Click on the ad at the top about Packers frames

globalrecognition.com

as well as this

http://www.giveashare.com/frames-for-green-bay-packers-stock.shtml?gclid=CK6Qh5nalK0CFYvDKgodnx5hkw

I like the 2nd link one's but do they come with glass?

J-Mike88
12-26-2011, 07:42 PM
If it were up to me, these guys would not suit up next week vs Detroit:

Rodgers
Nelson
Finley
Matthews
Woodson
Tramon
Raji
Burnett

I'd also like to rest Pickett another week.... just freshen his legs up. We need the big fella in the playoffs as teams will run on us as much as possible.
Also might need to rest big Howard.

Not sure who that leaves left to play other than Jarius and CJ and #96. Call up some scrubs.

TitleTown088
12-27-2011, 01:10 PM
http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/AARON-RODGERS-JUKE.gif

princefielder28
12-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Rodgers, Kuhn, Jennings, Wells, Raji, Matthews, Woodson are the Packers' Pro Bowlers

Pack_Attack_4
12-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Rodgers, Kuhn, Jennings, Wells, Raji, Matthews, Woodson are the Packers' Pro Bowlers

I really wanted Jordy to make the PB hes been our big play WR all year, And jus helped me win the championship in my fantasy football league.

J-Mike88
12-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Jordy seems to have deserved it ahead of Jennings this year.
If I had to make a choice between which of them earned it, I'd for sure say Nelson did.

But hopefully both will be busy for that week anyway.... with the Super Bowl.

Pack_Attack_4
12-30-2011, 12:13 PM
http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/AARON-RODGERS-JUKE.gif

I Love this.

Pack_Attack_4
12-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Going into the playoffs in a couple weeks is ne1 else worried that our Def really doesnt look as good as last years. I know we got a lot of turnovers but we give up huge passing yrds and teams have been runing the ball on us of lately. And we hav no pass rush besides Matthews.

SuperPacker
12-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Going into the playoffs in a couple weeks is ne1 else worried that our Def really doesnt look as good as last years. I know we got a lot of turnovers but we give up huge passing yrds and teams have been runing the ball on us of lately. And we hav no pass rush besides Matthews.

It is a problem but i think as long as we arent giving up tons of points its not much of a problem. People blamed the defense for the KC loss but asking Rodgers to score more than 17 points shouldnt be an issue.

J-Mike88
12-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Jerry Hughes, (6-2, 255 pounds) is stuck at the #3 spot at DE for the Colts, behind even Tyler Brayton and Jamaal Anderson.

He was a guy that in the 2009 NFL Draft, Ted Thompson did like and was prepared to select him with the pick in the 20's.

The reason I think I know this is because both Rick Gosselin and Bob McGinn predicted the picks and a source of Goose here in the DFW area (TCU country) expected Jerry to become a Packer in that 2010 Draft, to match up with Clay Matthews.

Of course, nobody expected Bryan Bulaga to fall out of the top-ten and be there at pick #23 for the Packers, who knew they had some aging OT's who needed to be replaced very soon. Bulaga to the Packers was a match made in heaven. He fit what they look for on the OL to a 'T'.

Now, 2 years later, Hughes has not done anything as a hand-on-the-ground DE for the Colts, languishing behind a couple of just guys, including Anderson who washed out of Atlanta.

What would it take for Packers to obtain Hughes from the Colts now?

SuperPacker
12-31-2011, 05:24 AM
Jerry Hughes, (6-2, 255 pounds) is stuck at the #3 spot at DE for the Colts, behind even Tyler Brayton and Jamaal Anderson.

He was a guy that in the 2009 NFL Draft, Ted Thompson did like and was prepared to select him with the pick in the 20's.

The reason I think I know this is because both Rick Gosselin and Bob McGinn predicted the picks and a source of Goose here in the DFW area (TCU country) expected Jerry to become a Packer in that 2010 Draft, to match up with Clay Matthews.

Of course, nobody expected Bryan Bulaga to fall out of the top-ten and be there at pick #23 for the Packers, who knew they had some aging OT's who needed to be replaced very soon. Bulaga to the Packers was a match made in heaven. He fit what they look for on the OL to a 'T'.

Now, 2 years later, Hughes has not done anything as a hand-on-the-ground DE for the Colts, languishing behind a couple of just guys, including Anderson who washed out of Atlanta.

What would it take for Packers to obtain Hughes from the Colts now?

Jerry Hughes is an interesting player that i think would be able to do a decent job for us but i doubt that would ever happen.

J-Mike88
01-02-2012, 05:42 PM
I don't want to face the Giants, but I think Atlanta does match up well with them.
Good RB, good TE, 3 good WRs, and a clutch QB.....

This part isn't good though:
The Packers have finished the regular season dead last in total defense.

This is only the third time ever Green Bay has done so.

The 1956 team ranked 12th of 12 teams. The 1983 team ranked 28th of 28 teams. And now the 2011 team ranks 32nd of 32 teams. The Packers surrendered 411.6 yards per game this season -- slightly worst than the New England Patriots (411.1). Of course, both teams are No. 1 seeds the postseason. Turnovers have helped both units. Green Bay set a team record with 31 interceptions. The Patriots had 23 picks.

Opposing quarterbacks have feasted on the Packers most of this season, a problem that could catch up with them in the postseason. In the divisional round, Green Bay will face either Eli Manning (4,933 yards, 29 touchdowns), Matt Ryan (4,177, 29) or Matthew Stafford (5,038, 41)

TimmG6376
01-02-2012, 08:47 PM
With the Polians out in Indy, maybe they cut their losses with Hughes and TT can pick him up off the scrap heap. I'd still rather go there with the 1st rounder this year, but if Hughes could be picked up for cheap he'd be worth the gamble at this point.

J-Mike88
01-03-2012, 04:46 PM
With the Polians out in Indy, maybe they cut their losses with Hughes and TT can pick him up off the scrap heap. I'd still rather go there with the 1st rounder this year, but if Hughes could be picked up for cheap he'd be worth the gamble at this point.
If Hughes had served 2 years abroad for some Mormon missionary thing, I'd still have him ranked #1 for 34 OLB's right now.

I really really want Jerry Hughes, and I worry that a new GM will make it harder to get Hughes.

I'm still gonna contact Teddy on this one.

J-Mike88
01-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Great write-up about the MVP Debate between Rodgers and the record-setting, red-hot Brees:

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/01/03/aaron-rodgers-is-the-most-valuable-player-based-on-how-he-has-played-and-historic-precedent/

TimmG6376
01-04-2012, 10:41 AM
If Hughes had served 2 years abroad for some Mormon missionary thing, I'd still have him ranked #1 for 34 OLB's right now.

I really really want Jerry Hughes, and I worry that a new GM will make it harder to get Hughes.

I'm still gonna contact Teddy on this one.

If anything I'd think a new GM is more likely to let go of guys he didn't pick. My concern with Hughes is that he hasn't shown anything. I know he was highly regarded coming out and didn't get drafted into the best situation for his skillset, but you'd think by now he'd have shown flashes of something. From what I see Indy fans saying that hasn't been the case.

I'd be willing to take a shot on him as long as the cost was low. Worst case he's at least as good as the UDFAs we have there now.

RyanBraun8
01-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Said it a million times during the draft and I will say it again....Jerry Hughes is massively overrated. Guy just disappears in any film you watch of him. There is a reason he is on the bench and it is not that the guys in front of him a super stars or good players, it is because he is not that good. Hand down or stand up. He does have speed and a good motor but he really is not overly physical and not as willing to stick his nose in there. He wants to burn past the guy and if not, he is out of the play. He made some Mountain West OT's look foolish and slow but that hasn't and wont happen in NFL

RyanBraun8
01-04-2012, 11:02 AM
I don't know what it will take J-Mike to lose this man crush on him. All draft you were all over him and now have 2 years of really being as big of a bust a Neil (still early though) you are still all over him. It is not like they have not gave him opportunities to suceed as a 1st round pick, he has just hasn't wanted to show anything on the field to get out there.

Maybe I am being too hard on him but I have not seen anything in college or NFL from him that gives me any sign of being successful. He just isn't physical enough.

TimmG6376
01-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Scott Wells was a surprise DNP today. He was in attendance but did not participate. Hopefully just precautionary as that would be difficult to overcome.

TimmG6376
01-04-2012, 04:02 PM
So it appears Brad Jones might get the chance to start at ROLB. Wouldn't that just be poetic? After struggling to stay healthy for so many seasons he gets his chance and runs with it to a SB title.

J-Mike88
01-04-2012, 04:49 PM
So it appears Brad Jones might get the chance to start at ROLB. Wouldn't that just be poetic? After struggling to stay healthy for so many seasons he gets his chance and runs with it to a SB title.
As long as he plays well, and helps us win a ring, that would be awesome.
He, like Finley and Grant, are some of the hungry ones who didn't get to play in the big game yet.
I don't know what it will take J-Mike to lose this man crush on him. All draft you were all over him and now have 2 years of really being as big of a bust a Neil (still early though) you are still all over him. It is not like they have not gave him opportunities to suceed as a 1st round pick, he has just hasn't wanted to show anything on the field to get out there.

Maybe I am being too hard on him but I have not seen anything in college or NFL from him that gives me any sign of being successful. He just isn't physical enough.
Marshall Newhouse practiced against Hughes for 2 years and will tell you that Hughes is a beast.....
It's a totally different scheme, the 34 and 43.... Ask Aaron Kampman and Jared Allen.

Ted liked Hughes coming out.
McGinn & Gosselin's inside sources had it.......

James Harrison took a few years, and cuts, to get up to speed, but he was well worth the patience.

I think Kevin Greene could work wonders with the athlete that Hughes is and it appears we could get him for a discount at this point in time.

That's something that needs to be considered with these cast of characters we have at OLB.

Hughes/LaMarr Woodley Combine Measurables:

6-1 3/4 * 255 pounds/6-1 1/2 * 266 pounds (Woodley)

40 Yard Dash: 4.65 seconds/ 4.74 (Woodley)

20 Yard Dash: 2.63 seconds/ 2.72 (Wodley)

10 Yard Dash: 1.63 seconds/ 1.65 (Woodley)

Bench Press: 26 reps (225 lb)/ 29 (Woodley)

Vertical Leap: 34.5 inches/ 38.5 (Woodley, surprisingly high)

Broad Jump: 118 inches/ 117 inches (Woodley)

Shuttle: 4.15/ 4.42 (Woodley)

Three Cone: 6.99/ (Woodley DNR, Hughes # was great)

I'm not saying he will become James Harrison. That's a rare unique Cinderella story, like Warner.
But some guys take a little time to develop. Some take longer.

2002-2003

Harrison went undrafted in the 2002 NFL draft, hearing he was too short (six feet) to play linebacker, and too light (240 pounds) to play on the defensive line. A few teams did send him training camp invites. The Steelers signed Harrison as an undrafted rookie in 2002, making him the first Kent State alumnus to play at linebacker for the team since Hall of Famer Jack Lambert.

Harrison spent two years on and off the practice squad for the Steelers, being released three times, and was also briefly on the active roster towards the end of the 2002 season, playing only special teams. Teammate and fellow linebacker James Farrior later told NFL Network that Harrison was so green early on in his career that he would simply “give up” on plays he was struggling on and would even ask the coaches not to play him when he was struggling.

Farrior said, "He was a knucklehead that didn't know the plays. We'd be in practice, in training camp, and he might not know what he was doing so he'd just stop and throw his hands up and tell (the coaches) to get him out of there. We thought the guy was crazy."

He was signed by Baltimore in late 2003, then sent to the Rhein Fire of NFL Europe, but eventually cut by the Ravens. After being cut for a fourth time, Harrison considered not playing anymore.

PackerLegend
01-04-2012, 05:15 PM

Not like it can really get worse, its like nobody is even there most plays. Hopefully he is ready to prove to everyone who basically kicked him to the curb.

RyanBraun8
01-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Combine numbers are just numbers, mean absolutely nothing. Woodley has always been an animal. Run game, pass game and all. Hughes will make a sack and not be seen again. He is NOT EVEN CLOSE to be as physical as Woodley. Hughes would get destroyed in a one on one with Wood.

Originally in the draft i liked him but the more I watched the more I wanted nothing to do with him. We have guys who disappear already why make a move for another. We need a guy who brings a presence. Not just speed to run a circle around Marshell Newhouse in shorts at practice. If he was willing to get into someone, he wouldn't be looking like Jamal Reynolds right now with the Colts

BloodBrother
01-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Packers lost their Director of Football Ops Reggie McKenzie. Goin to Oakland to be their GM. Eliot Wolf(assistant director of player personnel) might also go to Oakland with him, but that isn't confirmed

McKenzie has been talked about as a potential GM for years so this day would come eventually. Never good to lose guys of this caliber at the top but he definitely derseves his chance to run a team. Wish him the best and glad he didn't end up in Chicago

John Dorsey, Director of college scouting seems like he may be the favorite to fill McKenzie's shoes as the new Director of Football Ops, but who knows.

BloodBrother
01-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Good news. Eliot Wolf isn't going with McKenzie to Oakland. Wolf will likely be promoted to Director of pro personnel

bigboiajhawk
01-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Good news. Eliot Wolf isn't going with McKenzie to Oakland. Wolf will likely be promoted to Director of pro personnel

That is good news, but I think even better news is that John Dorsey turned down a potential GM opportunity to stay. Me thinks between Dorsey and Wolf we will have our heir to the GM throne once TT calls it quits.

On a different note, TT has a lot of work to do this offseason with Wells, Finley, and Flynn.

I am really hoping that TT signs Wells to a 3-5 year deal and franchises Finley. I think the Packers will just let Flynn walk and get a comp pick in next years draft.

J-Mike88
01-06-2012, 08:35 PM
I am really hoping that TT signs Wells to a 3-5 year deal and franchises Finley. I think the Packers will just let Flynn walk and get a comp pick in next years draft.
He might, but I'd really be proud of him if he cashes in on Matt Flynn. A team rarely gets an opportunity like that, if ever. Hard to see it not utilized to the maximum.

BloodBrother
01-07-2012, 03:12 AM
I fully expect them to sign Wells. TT doesn't dabble into FA often, but what he does do is pay HIS guys when they have earned it

PackerLegend
01-07-2012, 09:54 AM
He might, but I'd really be proud of him if he cashes in on Matt Flynn. A team rarely gets an opportunity like that, if ever. Hard to see it not utilized to the maximum.

It would be nice but not at the expense of losing Finely. Because whatever we get for Flynn would basically be a pick to try an find another Finely. Plus maybe a little more but you never know with picks. Which would be stupid on our part. Im sure TT will get this whole situation figured out. Anyways it kind of sucks for Flynn if he gets the tag because then he doesn't exactly get to choose where he goes.

J-Mike88
01-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Don't feel sorry for Flynn as the Tag automatically makes him a very rich man, for life, no matter what happens afterwards.

No draftee (except the *%#@^ Eli Manning) gets to choose where he goes either. Flynn was lucky as hell he got chosen by us and got to improve and blossom within this great system and team, enough to get to this $$$$ point.

had he gone to Cleveland, St Louis, etc. he'd be a nobody right now.

SuperPacker
01-07-2012, 10:18 AM
It would be nice but not at the expense of losing Finely. Because whatever we get for Flynn would basically be a pick to try an find another Finely. Plus maybe a little more but you never know with picks. Which would be stupid on our part. Im sure TT will get this whole situation figured out. Anyways it kind of sucks for Flynn if he gets the tag because then he doesn't exactly get to choose where he goes.

If we got a first round pick for Flynn we could go and get the 3-4 DE and OLB we need to solidify the defense. Forget getting a tight end to replace Finley. We dont need Finley but we do need more pass rush!

PackerLegend
01-07-2012, 01:58 PM
If we got a first round pick for Flynn we could go and get the 3-4 DE and OLB we need to solidify the defense. Forget getting a tight end to replace Finley. We dont need Finley but we do need more pass rush!

While we do need a 3-4 DE and OLB badly and I really want them. Losing Finely would be a big downgrade to our TE's. I know alot of people are down on him but the other 4 guys we have behind him arent close to his level. Just saying.

The pass rush is going to get addressed either way. I just hope we can get Finely signed, and then tag and trade Flynn for more. Thats the best case.

SuperPacker
01-07-2012, 02:14 PM
While we do need a 3-4 DE and OLB badly and I really want them. Losing Finely would be a big downgrade to our TE's. I know alot of people are down on him but the other 4 guys we have behind him arent close to his level. Just saying.

The pass rush is going to get addressed either way. I just hope we can get Finely signed, and then tag and trade Flynn for more. Thats the best case.

Yep that would be great!

SuperPacker
01-07-2012, 05:23 PM
So who does everyone think we will be playing next week?

Falcons, Lions or Giants?

princefielder28
01-07-2012, 05:25 PM
So who does everyone think we will be playing next week?

Falcons, Lions or Giants?

I think it's gonna be the Giants

jackalope
01-07-2012, 05:44 PM
I would agree with the Giants. I also think they're the biggest threat to us.

SuperPacker
01-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Personally i think the Falcons will beat the Giants.

The have a great running game, explosive pas threat with Jones and White. They also proved they can stop use in the game we played against them earlier in the season. I actually think they would prove a bigger threat in the next round.

J-Mike88
01-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I predicted the Saints 45-28 tonight, was wrong as the Lions did better than I expected.. with a lot of help from the Saints Zebras.

Our offense did okay last year without Finley.... I trust Ted there. Finley isn't worth a 1st round pick. He, Graham, Gronkowski... none were even 1st rounders.

I know Quarless won't be back the same but they can get another TE and I expect DJ to step up. Crabtree is just a blocker.

Still, I think Teddy re-signs J-Mike.

BloodBrother
01-08-2012, 09:52 AM
So it's down to ATL or NYG coming to Lambeau

hopefully both teams batter and beat the hell out of eachother today. I think the Giants take it in the end, however.

princefielder28
01-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Joe Philbin's son has gone missing...hopefully this story has a happy ending

jrdrylie
01-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Joe Philbin's son has gone missing...hopefully this story has a happy ending

Just posted this in another thread. It did not have a happy ending. He was found in a river.

BloodBrother
01-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Yep, it's been confirmed. Terrible news

Mike McCarthy's presser today was very awkward because you could tell this situation was at the forefront of his mind and yet he was trying to answer questions about football

the Packers declined media access to the locker room because of this situation.

SuperPacker
01-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Just posted this in another thread. It did not have a happy ending. He was found in a river.

Seriously? Oh f***. Thats some messed up ****!

The players just have to play for his son now.

BloodBrother
01-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Not a good couple of days for the Packers family. T.J. Lang's father passed away and he just buried him over the weekend, and now Joe Philbin lost his 21 year old son

PackerLegend
01-09-2012, 06:43 PM
I can't say for sure but it seems like the packers probably would have one of the best support groups to deal with this. Very sad story... there's nothing close to ones life but lets hope the packers can bring home the SB trophy in honor of this kid and his father Joe.

J-Mike88
01-09-2012, 08:04 PM
I've always thought that McCarthy still basically ran this offense, not Philbin.

Anyone know for sure, how that works behind the scenes as far as those first-15 scripted plays and the playcalls afterwards?

jackalope
01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
I've always thought that McCarthy still basically ran this offense, not Philbin.

Anyone know for sure, how that works behind the scenes as far as those first-15 scripted plays and the playcalls afterwards?

McCarthy does the playcalling. The team hasn't scripted it's first 15 plays in a few years. My understanding is that in game, Philbin mostly serves as the "eyes in the box."

BloodBrother
01-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Philbin took on a bigger role in coaching the OL(that was his job before he got promoted to OC)

he also helped McCarthy with the gameplanning etc so MM didn't have so much on his plate

Burger
01-10-2012, 02:03 AM
Philbin took on a bigger role in coaching the OL(that was his job before he got promoted to OC)

he also helped McCarthy with the gameplanning etc so MM didn't have so much on his plate

Philbin was another pair of eyes for McCarthy, but he is involved in game planning and running of the offense. He controls the change of formations during practice, so it's perfect during the game. If Philbin leaves, I hope Tom Clements gets promoted to offensive coordinator as we will have to groom another QB coach for our next back up.

J-Mike88
01-10-2012, 04:33 PM
This is from one of the beat writers whom I asked about all that Philbin does:

Yeah, McCarthy is the engine behind the offense and calls plays. Philbin does a lot of hands-on work such as running the meetings of the entire offense, which allows McCarthy to tend to other head-coaching duties. He also has a big role in helping McCarthy game plan, and he runs the offensive portions of practice. His area of greatest expertise is the offensive line, so he works there in some drills, though he seemed to spend more time there in camp than in the regular season from what I can tell.

RockJock07
01-10-2012, 05:02 PM
With Hue Jackson being fired by the Raiders, It appears Winston Moss is gone to Oakland and he could be taking other coaches with him.

PackerLegend
01-10-2012, 05:17 PM
With Hue Jackson being fired by the Raiders, It appears Winston Moss is gone to Oakland and he could be taking other coaches with him.

Likely which sucks.... lets hope our guys want to stay with champions not go to one of the worst teams over the last 10 years.

J-Mike88
01-10-2012, 06:26 PM
It's funny that our defense allowed an NFL-record amount of passing yards this year, and also made the Bears 3rd & 4th string RBs look good, made LeGarrette Blount look fast, and yet they want our D-coaches, not Kevin Greene.

As long as we keep Trgovic and Greene with Capers, I'm fine with that.
Not sure about D-Perry, would like to keep him, but won't lose sleep if we lose him.

I just wonder if any good ones will spring from the McCarthy coaching tree as did from the Holmgren tree:

PackerLegend
01-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Nice!

globalrecognition.com

as well as this

Just got my frame yesterday! I ordered from the top link and got the oak frame. It looks awsome. Got my share in it and couldn't be happier.

princefielder28
01-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Donald Driver has said that he plans on playing next year but realizes it will probably not be in a Packers uniform

SuperPacker
01-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Donald Driver has said that he plans on playing next year but realizes it will probably not be in a Packers uniform

Thats a shame, yesterday when we needed someone to step up and just catch the ball Driver was the guy. That diving catch he made was top class. I really dont wanna see him leave!

PackerLegend
01-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Miss America who happens to be Miss Wisconsin wants Aaron Rodgers to call her. Hmm not so bad after all?

http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/137025846.jpg

princefielder28
01-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Aaron needs to get on that in every sense of the term

PackerLegend
01-16-2012, 07:41 PM
So moving forward whose not on this team next year?

- Ryan Grant - (Pretty sure his deal is up and he wont be resigned)
- Donald Driver - (Sad but I think it has finally come, its time for Cobb)
- Chad Clifton - (Old and cant stay healthly)
- Matt Flynn

* Nick Collins - (Lets hope he can continue his career)

Those are more of the easier likely ones I think.. Im sure there will be all kinds of changes at that OLB spot besides Matthews but who....

I also see the rumor about Woodson not being back has started. Its because he is due a 4 million dollar bonus in a few months. Which I expect he will and should get. Hes still a great leader and a playmaker for this team.

cvv84
01-17-2012, 07:24 PM
So moving forward whose not on this team next year?

- Ryan Grant - (Pretty sure his deal is up and he wont be resigned)
- Donald Driver - (Sad but I think it has finally come, its time for Cobb)
- Chad Clifton - (Old and cant stay healthly)
- Matt Flynn

* Nick Collins - (Lets hope he can continue his career)

Those are more of the easier likely ones I think.. Im sure there will be all kinds of changes at that OLB spot besides Matthews but who....

I also see the rumor about Woodson not being back has started. Its because he is due a 4 million dollar bonus in a few months. Which I expect he will and should get. Hes still a great leader and a playmaker for this team.

Hard to see him gone and while he is due a bonus, his cap figure for 2012 is still pretty reasonable at $6.5 million.

Sadly though I believe that Nick Collins will retire so that would be a perfect opportunity to shift Woodson to safety. He's been a liability in coverage the past 2 seasons but he could be a very good safety at this stage in his career.

Unfortunately Tramon Williams took a huge step back this year and Shields failed to build upon his rookie season. CB could be turn into a bigger need as well.

Don't forget that Pat Lee and Jarrett Bush are also free agents. Its hard to see Lee back and Bush could be pricey seeing his value as a special teamer and nickle/dimeback.

J-Mike88
01-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Morgan Burnett & Charles Woodson as the 2 safeties could be great for a few years.
Woodson looks better than Rod Woodson did when he shifted to safety.
I think Charles is just a rare, special athlete, he could have some great years left at that position. He's so smart too.
Just asking him to cover so much as a corner will expose him.
As it would to Ed Reed or Polamalu.

That means we need some cornerbacks.
I wanted Carlos Rogers last year but the Niners got him from the Redskins. This was a talented guy who went before Rodgers in that draft, as did Antrel Rolle and Adam Jones.

Anyway, I haven't begun to look at free agent cornerbacks because we all know we're not players in the FA market.

I hope we keep Jarrett Bush because he seems pretty good as a blitzer in Charles' role.

Also, let's hope Davon House is ready. We need 5 decent corners, with Tramon and Shields hopefully looking a lot better if we get some pass rush help.

A lot of the reason Tramon appeared worse this year was the time the QBs had to throw. That makes a difference. It doesn't explain all his completed passes allowed, but some.

I can't even imagine seeing Driver on another team. I bet he'd like to go to the Texans if anyone other than us.

We play them next year in Houston.

bigboiajhawk
01-18-2012, 07:32 PM
I can't even imagine seeing Driver on another team. I bet he'd like to go to the Texans if anyone other than us.

We play them next year in Houston.

Even though I am a big supporter of James Jones, I would almost rather keep DD rather than Jones. 1) Fan base loves DD (not that this is a reason to keep him, but it is true) 2) He can be content in his role, whereas it seem Jones would mentally check out 3) We could call up Gurley and he could be our big WR 4) DD has more knowledge about the game to help continue to teach our young guys.

In an ideal world, I would love to see the Packers package Jones and Flynn together and get a 1st or early second round pick. But I would rather trade Jones for a DB or DL and call up Gurley.....this appears more reasonable....

BloodBrother
01-18-2012, 11:47 PM
There is no way I'd keep Driver over Jones. Jones is younger and better. DD is easily one of my top 5 fav Packers but you gotta be smart about it. I would like to see him back next year as their #4-5 guy but Gurley apparently has shown a lot in practices and has been getting high praise from the other receives and coaches. I think you have to part ways with him, unfortunately. Nature of the business, etc. You can't hold on to guys for sentimental value. Packers are trying to win the SB...so they need to field the best team possible. If Gurley offers more at this stage than Driver then you have to make the move, especially since we already know the Vikes tried to get Gurley late this past season

I'm glad that he was able to win a ring here, but if he wants to keep playing then it looks like he'll have to move on somewhere else. He'll forever be a Packer and will undoubtedly be in the Packers hall of fame

bigboiajhawk
01-19-2012, 12:48 PM
There is no way I'd keep Driver over Jones. Jones is younger and better. DD is easily one of my top 5 fav Packers but you gotta be smart about it. I would like to see him back next year as their #4-5 guy but Gurley apparently has shown a lot in practices and has been getting high praise from the other receives and coaches. I think you have to part ways with him, unfortunately. Nature of the business, etc. You can't hold on to guys for sentimental value. Packers are trying to win the SB...so they need to field the best team possible. If Gurley offers more at this stage than Driver then you have to make the move, especially since we already know the Vikes tried to get Gurley late this past season

I'm glad that he was able to win a ring here, but if he wants to keep playing then it looks like he'll have to move on somewhere else. He'll forever be a Packer and will undoubtedly be in the Packers hall of fame

I completely agree with your reasoning; however, I feel that it would be best for the team if Driver stayed and Jones left. With Jones, he is the #3, and will continue to be the #3. With him being the number 3 that means Cobb/Driver is the 4th and Cobb/Driver/Gurley is the 5th, leaving neither of them with many opportunities to develop as J-Mike ends up being the 4th or 5th WR in many formations.

I like Jones just as much as anyone else, but we are doing him a disservice and Cobb/Gurley a disservice by him staying. If Driver stays, he can easily work the 3rd and 4th WR spots giving way to Cobb, and then Gurley can start getting reps at the 5th WR spot spelling Finley when ever he needs a breather or whenever the Packers truly go 5 wide with WRs.

Either way I am looking at it, Driver or Jones, IMO, will not be a Packer next year.

SuperPacker
01-19-2012, 12:52 PM
If we could trade Jones for a draft pick and keep Driver we would have Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Gurley, Driver.

I'd be happy with that.

princefielder28
01-19-2012, 01:00 PM
with Quarless' unknown health status for next year, we could place him on I.R. and hold onto 6 WR's with 4 TE's

SuperPacker
01-19-2012, 01:01 PM
with Quarless' unknown health status for next year, we could place him on I.R. and hold onto 6 WR's with 4 TE's

If Finleys back...

BloodBrother
01-19-2012, 01:03 PM
I fully expect Finley to be back. Pack will tag him

then hopefully they re-sign Wells. Continuity is huge on the OL and he was their most consistent starter this past year on the line. He has to be priority #1 I'd think

bigboiajhawk
01-19-2012, 02:26 PM

This is quite possible. You know what is funny, I would almost being willing to put money down that the Packers will draft a TE.

Now this is completely hypothetical, but what if the Packers drafted Orson Charles.....Imagine he and Finley together for the next 5 years or so. We could be like the Patriots except both of our TE's would be ridiculously good athletes.

RockJock07
01-19-2012, 08:28 PM
This is quite possible. You know what is funny, I would almost being willing to put money down that the Packers will draft a TE.

Now this is completely hypothetical, but what if the Packers drafted Orson Charles.....Imagine he and Finley together for the next 5 years or so. We could be like the Patriots except both of our TE's would be ridiculously good athletes.

I think the wild card is DJ Williams. Because of the lockout and Finley DJ didn't see the field hardly at all. I'd bet, along with House, that the Packers basically red shirted their rookies this season to start from the beginning this year.

I think TT should tag Finley to make him prove he should get a deal. I think JSOnline said the deal would be 5.2 mil which isn't bad.

Overall Finley is gravy for me, I want another real option at OLB. for 2 years it's been a bunch of guys that flash a bit then fizzle out, time to move up in the draft or trade for someone. I think the secondary will be better if Capers says away from zone and let his bump-and-run guys play man.

BloodBrother
01-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Joe Philbin goin to Miami as their new head coach

So the Pack have lost Reggie McKenzie and now Joe Philbin so far. Moss and Perry have been linked to Oakland as well

I'd expect the Packers to promote Tom Clements to OC

J-Mike88
01-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Joe Philbin goin to Miami as their new head coach

So the Pack have lost Reggie McKenzie and now Joe Philbin so far. Moss and Perry have been linked to Oakland as well

I'd expect the Packers to promote Tom Clements to OC
I would agree with that for sure, Clements becomes the new OC.

I don't think we'll lose much with the loss of either McKenzie or Regis.

Congrats to Philbin by the way. Good for him. I don't expect much from him, there, that situation, but we'll see.

SuperPacker
01-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Packers sign AFL QB Nick Hill. Dont know who he is, never heard of him, but i like the move anyway because we must of seen something in him to think he might be able to make it.

Got cut by the Bears so we could end up making them look very stupid. Probably not though.

Da-Phins
01-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Ok Packers fans...whats the run down on Philbin? I've been reading alot of positive stuff about him and his character reminds me of a coach like Tony Dungy.

jackalope
01-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Ok Packers fans...whats the run down on Philbin? I've been reading alot of positive stuff about him and his character reminds me of a coach like Tony Dungy.

Everyone that has worked with him says he's an extremely classy, great guy. Rodgers raves about him. In Green Bay, he's always been very behind the scenes. He has never been the playcaller, so I'm not sure whether he'll assume that job in Miami or not. I think it's a good hire for Miami, but because he's never really been a prominent figure in Green Bay it's tough to say much about him. I'll be rooting for Flynn to go to Miami and have the Dolphins become a competitor in the AFC.

J-Mike88
01-21-2012, 03:35 PM
MIAMI - On Friday, the Miami Dolphins ended their search for a Head Coach by naming the former Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator, Joe Philbin, to the position. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what Philbin’s first course of action should be in Miami.

The Dolphins’ most glaring need is at quarterback. Whether they have already planned to draft one in April or stick with the inconsistent Matt Moore or Chad Henne has yet to be determined.

Another idea would be for Philbin to urge the Dolphins’ front office to pursue Packers back-up QB Matt Flynn in free agency or a sign-and-trade.

The biggest risk on Flynn involves committing to a player who has only two career starts in the NFL. While Flynn could turn out to be a steal, the Dolphins definitely don’t want to end up with a Kevin Kolb-esque deal (Arizona Cardinals in 2011).

When it comes down to knowing what kind of player Flynn is, there probably isn’t a better guy than Joe Philbin. Philbin has spent every practice with the signal caller and knows his tendencies better than anyone.

From the Packers perspective, there shouldn’t be any problem dealing him to the Dolphins if they do decide to franchise him. Otherwise, Flynn could also end up with the Dolphins via a bidding war involving what looks to be many teams.

From Flynn’s perspective, Miami would be a great place to land. They have an up-and-coming offensive line with Jake Long and Mike Pouncey, dangerous weapons like RB Reggie Bush and WR Brandon Marshall and one of the better defenses in the league.

Seeing that the Dolphins would have to make a significant trade to move up and get Robert Griffin III, this is probably one of the more likely scenarios to where Flynn could go.

If a deal is done, a debate will start on whether Flynn is a franchise quarterback or not. He doesn’t have the out-of-this-world ability, but the guy does win. And in this kind of league, that’s all you need sometimes.

Hawk
01-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Miami is a perfect situation for Flynn. The offense has weapons already in place. The hard part would be to get everyone else to buy into the system.

SuperPacker
01-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Yep, i wish Flynn the best of luck. With some good weapons i think he could be a very good quarterback there.

He'll know he offense/system, he'll have Brandon Marshall to throw too, a decent running game with the Reggie Bush/Daniel Thomas and a decent offensive line with Jake Long at LT.

he just needs another WR to pair with Marshall and a TE and he would have a great chance to be a top quarterback. They could go into the draft and grab, Dwayne Allenn and Michael Floyd.

J-Mike88
01-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Yep, i wish Flynn the best of luck. With some good weapons i think he could be a very good quarterback there.

he just needs another WR to pair with Marshall and a TE and he would have a great chance to be a top quarterback. They could go into the draft and grab, Dwayne Allenn and Michael Floyd.
James Jones + Matt Flynn + AJ Hawk for Cameron Wake.

Which side would ***** about that?

J-Mike88
01-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Some of you have not seen this yet.
Fzh1eknXpDg&feature=youtu.be

SuperPacker
01-22-2012, 01:17 PM

If we were to franchise Flynn i would rather us trade for draft picks rather than an old OLB and lose two of our players.

Pack_Attack_4
01-23-2012, 01:12 PM

I dont like tht trade James jones is gonna have a bigger role next year with driver prob gone. And Aj has been soild for us

BloodBrother
01-23-2012, 03:31 PM
There is no reason to trade Jones. He has a very friendly contract and is a solid WR. Makes no sense

Niners have 19 UFA....I wonder who they end up keeping and how much cap space they'll have. Would LOVE for the Pack to get Dashon Goldson if the Niners don't bring him back. Obviously this is assuming Nick Collins career is indeed over

I wouldn't mind OLB Ahmad Brooks as well from them. He shouldn't be too expensive

pipedream would be if Mario Williams is available but even if he was it doesn't fit TT's style to try and get a FA like him. Hell, he doesn't really get FA's at all anyway, so I'm just rambling right now

it's fun to pretend

J-Mike88
01-23-2012, 04:45 PM
pipedream would be if Mario Williams is available but even if he was it doesn't fit TT's style to try and get a FA like him. Hell, he doesn't really get FA's at all anyway, so I'm just rambling right now

it's fun to pretend
That would be a fun pipedream.
We could afford it if we didn't have that awful contract for Hawk, a guy who produced as many turnovers for this defense this year as you or Justin Harrell did this whole year.

TitleTown088
01-23-2012, 06:11 PM

Is this the NBA?

BloodBrother
01-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Yeah the Hawk extension is looking pretty bad. Guy literally had no impact this year. Didn't force a single turnover(fumbe or INT) and had like 1 sack

Wouldn't be surprised if DJ Smith started over him next season. In any case, since we know how TT works, there will be only be 2 FA's he signs this offseason

Scott Wells
Jermichael Finley

TitleTown088
01-23-2012, 10:01 PM
. In any case, since we know how TT works, there will be only be 2 FA's he signs this offseason

Scott Wells
Jermichael Finley

Probably, but Nick Collin's future could influence that. If he doesn't come back that frees up a pretty big chunk of change.

jackalope
01-24-2012, 10:58 AM
It appears the coaching staff will remain largely in place. Philbin considers them "Off limits" and Oakland looks like they'll be hiring Dennis Allen.

PackerLegend
01-24-2012, 12:15 PM
DJ Smith had a bigger impact in his few games then Hawk ever had
. He shouldn't have just got full playing time when he came back. Hawk sucks and he better not be handed his job. I could careless if he's back.

BloodBrother
01-24-2012, 03:44 PM
It appears the coaching staff will remain largely in place. Philbin considers them "Off limits" and Oakland looks like they'll be hiring Dennis Allen.

Excellent news. Just need to find out who they promote to OC. Clements has to be the guy, you'd think

SuperPacker
01-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Yeah has to be Clements. We can't lose him to Miami!

I Am Rodgers
01-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Excellent news. Just need to find out who they promote to OC. Clements has to be the guy, you'd think

Clements or Edgar Bennett. I could see either one getting it.

SuperPacker
01-25-2012, 05:07 AM
Clements or Edgar Bennett. I could see either one getting it.

Yeah Bennett looks like he might be being groomed for a bigger role in the coaching staff. I still think Clements should be the guy because of his experience with the most important position in the game and the fact that Joe Philpin would probably want him as OC in Miami.

hoekd0250
01-26-2012, 12:36 AM
I think it may end up being Bennent for the packers OC. Look what he has done as a position coach for each group. I mean he took no namers at the HB position and has groomed Grant and several others into effective runners with limited fumbling problems. He also greatly fixed our fumbling issues with the recievers (James Jones). I think he is a very underrated coach who is coming into his own and would even say given a few years could be a hot hc for some team. Every group he has worked with has had success.

J-Mike88
01-27-2012, 05:55 AM
I think it may end up being Bennent for the packers OC. Look what he has done as a position coach for each group. I mean he took no namers at the HB position and has groomed Grant and several others into effective runners with limited fumbling problems. He also greatly fixed our fumbling issues with the recievers (James Jones). I think he is a very underrated coach who is coming into his own and would even say given a few years could be a hot hc for some team. Every group he has worked with has had success.
Edgar is on the path for OC.
But the fumbling issues are not going to help him.
Everyone fumbled against the Giants to end our season.

BloodBrother
01-27-2012, 08:55 AM
I don't think Bennett is ready for that role just yet. He was the RB coach for years and just this past year he was made the WR coach. I think he'll need a few more years of seasoning. Clements already has experience as an OC. I think he's the logical choice right now...with Bennett continuing to be groomed for that role eventually

TimmG6376
01-27-2012, 10:18 AM
I agree on Clements. He has OC experience. Rodgers has a good relationship with him. Sure he wouldn't have the time to devote strictly to QB coaching anymore, but at this point Rodgers should be beyond needing a dedicated QB coach.

TitleTown088
01-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Edgar is on the path for OC.

That's Clements job.

But the fumbling issues are not going to help him.
Everyone fumbled against the Giants to end our season.

Those fumbling issues were a fluke, not reoccurring.

J-Mike88
01-29-2012, 01:35 PM
That's Clements job.
Agreed.

Those fumbling issues were a fluke, not reoccurring.
True, but they kept *****ing re-occurring in that ****ing game.
So did the dropped passes.

BloodBrother
01-29-2012, 03:17 PM
sh*t happens. Team had 12 turnovers all year on offense and ended up having 4 I think in that game. So lame

SuperPacker
01-29-2012, 03:19 PM
We cant blame Bennet for dropped catches. These are professional receivers who mske their living from catching the ball, they shoulnt have to be taught how to catch a ball properly.

BloodBrother
01-29-2012, 03:49 PM
And really, the entire year the team was very good at holding onto the ball. That 1 game was an anomaly...sucks it happened in the most important game of the year

J-Mike88
01-30-2012, 06:16 AM
We cant blame Bennet for all the dropped catches (and 4 fumbles that game). These are professional receivers who mske their living from catching the ball, they shoulnt have to be taught how to catch a ball properly.
Agreed. Can't blame Edgar.
Can blame a lot of other things....

SuperPacker
01-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Agreed. Can't blame Edgar.
Can blame a lot of other things....

Like what? None of its Bennets fault...

1crazyredskinsfan
01-30-2012, 12:45 PM
packers lost because of the trauma they went through with philbin.they just did'nt put an effort into the game.i wish they would have won,i hate the giants,but the whole team's heart was'nt into it,and it showed!

SuperPacker
01-30-2012, 01:05 PM
packers lost because of the trauma they went through with philbin.they just did'nt put an effort into the game.i wish they would have won,i hate the giants,but the whole team's heart was'nt into it,and it showed!

i dont think we can blame it on that. there were a lot of reasons we lost, the main reason being the giants played well.

1crazyredskinsfan
01-30-2012, 01:33 PM
i dont think we can blame it on that. there were a lot of reasons we lost, the main reason being the giants played well.

i don't think that is all to blame for it,but it sure as hell did'nt help much!
the giants are'nt really that good.my beloved skins beat them like dogs two times this season!green bay was due to have an awful game,that just popped up in their 1st playoff game this season.

J-Mike88
01-31-2012, 05:49 AM
The Giants didn't play especially well.
Rodgers missed a wide-open Jennings for a TD on drive #1. They didn't cover well there.

Jennings dropped a touchdown in his hands later in the game.

Finley and Rodgers missed on a wide-open, easy 3rd & long conversion on a big drive.

The Giants did nothing special on those 3 big plays. It was our "unforced errors" as we call them in tennis.

Then there are the missed tackles, the lazy passive defense leading up to the hail mary before halftime, and they RARE bunches of fumbles we put on the ground.

Defenders go after the ball, hit the ball, on every carry in the league. For those balls to all of a sudden pop out all the time on US, not on them, on that particular day is pretty amazing, and against-the-odds.

I believe the death of that drunk kid did have some affect on the psyche of this team, and the layoff for the team, extra layoff for Rodgers & Jennings, cold weather... it all added up to a sickly performance that was unlike the Packers.
The way we played, I believe we would have lost to a lot of teams that day.

TimmG6376
02-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Raiders supposedly interested in Packers DB coach Joe Whitt as DC.

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 12:16 PM
A least we're keeping Winston Moss! If we finish the offseason with only Philbin and Whitt as the departures i will be very pleased. I feared a mass evactuation.

BloodBrother
02-03-2012, 09:01 AM
I'd rather keep Whitt over Moss. Whitt has been huge in helping Tramon and Shields. I hope the Packers decline the Raiders request to speak with Whitt

Also, no surprise, Tom Clements was promoted to OC. Packers need to fill their QB coach role and I think a good candidate could possibly be Rich Gannon. He already visits Packers camp every year to speak to the guys...of course, I have no idea if he even wants to get into coaching

J-Mike88
02-03-2012, 06:47 PM
I'd rather keep Whitt over Moss. Whitt has been huge in helping Tramon and Shields. I hope the Packers decline the Raiders request to speak with Whitt

Also, no surprise, Tom Clements was promoted to OC. Packers need to fill their QB coach role and I think a good candidate could possibly be Rich Gannon. He already visits Packers camp every year to speak to the guys...of course, I have no idea if he even wants to get into coaching
I think Gannon prefers the announcing gig, but we'll see.

J-Mike88
02-03-2012, 07:40 PM
ioOOSncm4fk
Dorsey Levens part of lawsuit against NFL.
These concussions are becoming a bigger and bigger deal.

I had 3 of them in my football & baseball (yes, got one in baseball) playing days.
So if I forget some things sometimes, I really wonder...... it wasn't the drugs for sure haha....

cuzifelt1ikeit
02-06-2012, 01:07 PM

whats the deal with gannon always coming in? is it just because of his time spent with mccarthy in kansas city? kevin greene worked out pretty well i'd say. wouldnt object to having him be qb coach if mccarthy/thompson or whoever makes the call thinks its a good idea.

J-Mike88
02-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Of course, we are RARELY players in this aspect of assembling NFL talent.

TT utilizes undrafted free agents (So'oto, Lattimore, Josh Bell, Zombo, Tim Knicky) and street free agents (Walden), but conventional free agency (Woodson, Pickett) is obviously not the way he builds a roster.

However, he has signed some mid-tier and lower-tier FA's before. Here are some guys I think COULD POSSIBLY help us, who won't be the big headliner, bank-breakers:

20. Brodrick Bunkley, DT/DE 6-2 3/4, 306, 28 yrs old

11.3% of all plays Bunkley was in run defense ended up with him making a defensive stop; the most of all DTs in the league. Outside of an injury-plagued 2010, Bunkley has always brought disruption when teams have run at him and there’s no reason to see that changing.
He was the 14th pick in the first round in 2006, by the Eagles.

29. Tyvon Branch, S, 6-0, 205, age 25

Branch is better than his 2011 would suggest, with the Raiders being forced to use him a slot cornerback, and opting to send him on blitzes far too often. At his best, Branch is the kind of in-the-box safety who you can leave in man coverage–a very useful thing to have.

30. Jarret Johnson, OLB, 6-3, 260, age 30 (uh-oh)

There isn’t a linebacker in the league who sets the edge like Johnson, who is a bigger part than many credit for how good the Ravens’ defense is. More of a two-down linebacker at this stage (he’s never been the most productive pass rusher in sub packages) Johnson has earned a +60.3 run defense grade over the past three years.

45. Manny Lawson, OLB, 6-5, 240, 27 yrs old

Lawson played well in Cincinnati, but he now finds himself in an interesting position. An effective pass rusher, two teams have used Lawson as primarily a base-downs player. Given the lack of interest in him last year, has much happened in 2011 to change that?
He really should have been added by Ted Thompson last off-season as he was a bargain.
He was the 22nd overall pick in that 2006 draft.

Here are some fan comments from last year at this time, about Lawson. Most 49er fans seemed to like him a lot and did not want to lose him.
Manny Lawson is a guy that I would absolutely hate to lose, because he does so much for our defense that doesn't show up on the stat sheet. He'll never be the sack leader of the NFL or anything, but he does everything so well, and there is something to be said about a LB that has NO holes in his game. Great in coverage, excellent against the run, one of the best in setting the edge, and a pretty decent passrusher in his own right. Not only that, but he's an athletic freak and one of the best at blocking FGs. He's a great character guy as well.

He won't get lots of sacks. He doesn't make tons of tackles. But often, he's the guy that makes things happen for others. He covers well. He plays the run well. He sets the edge well. Plus he's a great character.
He's not elite by any mean (except his athleticism... people tend to forget, but he may actually be faster than Pat Willis, therefore faster than most of our DBs). But he's a guy I wouldn't want to have to replace on our team.

Not to mention he's an outstanding person with a great personality. You CANNOT allow someone who is athletically gifted and has a great head on his shoulders leave a team who needs high character guys to help JH build his empire.
Who ever is a 49ers fan and doesn't like Manny Lawson needs to go watch film of him and pay attention to the little things he does that throws off the opposing offense's game plan.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/13/pffs-top-50-free-agents/

princefielder28
02-21-2012, 07:51 AM
It's appearing more likely that Scott Wells will not be back with the team and will hit the free agent market this off-season...the team is reportedly low-balling Wells

I think losing Wells would be a catastrophic loss, certainly the guy on the offensive line that we can least afford to lose...Peter Konz would have to shoot way up the list of guys we'd be targeting in the first round

TimmG6376
02-21-2012, 09:12 AM
It's appearing more likely that Scott Wells will not be back with the team and will hit the free agent market this off-season...the team is reportedly low-balling Wells

I think losing Wells would be a catastrophic loss, certainly the guy on the offensive line that we can least afford to lose...Peter Konz would have to shoot way up the list of guys we'd be targeting in the first round

I saw that too. I'm assuming you saw the same article I did. Did you find it strange that nowhere in that article did he quote Wells or any Packer front office people? Though he makes some good points it seems like a highly speculative article.

Assuming the writer has done his homework, this is a case where Thompson's stubbornness about re-signing players over 30 might get the best of him. If he doesn't sign Wells he'll have to sign someone. I just don't see a FA center as being an upgrade or any cheaper than Wells. If not a FA it is either a rookie or EDS. If EDS is the starting C come opening day, we are in trouble and rookies are a crapshoot no matter how highly rated.

This is not a Jenkins situation where there are guys on the roster that are expected to step up. There is not a guy on the roster that I would be comfortable stepping into Wells' shoes.

princefielder28
02-21-2012, 09:14 AM
I saw that too. I'm assuming you saw the same article I did. Did you find it strange that nowhere in that article did he quote Wells or any Packer front office people? Though he makes some good points it seems like a highly speculative article.

Assuming the writer has done his homework, this is a case where Thompson's stubbornness about re-signing players over 30 might get the best of him. If he doesn't sign Wells he'll have to sign someone. I just don't see a FA center as being an upgrade or any cheaper than Wells. If not a FA it is either a rookie or EDS. If EDS is the starting C come opening day, we are in trouble and rookies are a crapshoot no matter how highly rated.

This is not a Jenkins situation where there are guys on the roster that are expected to step up. There is not a guy on the roster that I would be comfortable stepping into Wells' shoes.

Yup, I saw the same article and even if it is mostly speculative, I think it makes plenty of sense

SuperPacker
02-21-2012, 10:43 AM
We cant lose Scott Wells! Who would be playing Center? Evan Deitrich-Smith?

Then we would have to go out and get one in the draft which means not using them on defense. That would be a waste IMO.

jackalope
02-21-2012, 11:29 AM
I saw the article and agree that it would be a big mistake to let Wells get away. As another article stated, Thompson likes to wait and let the market reveal itself before he gets into serious negotiations. With the number of centers set to hit free agency, Thompson probably feels he can get Wells at a bit of a discount.

This point was also brought up on twitter.
I guess Scott Wells can scrap the plans to add onto his house here in GB to make room for the 3 kids he's adopting from Africa this summer.

J-Mike88
02-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Assuming the writer has done his homework, this is a case where Thompson's stubbornness about re-signing players over 30 might get the best of him. If he doesn't sign Wells he'll have to sign someone. I just don't see a FA center as being an upgrade or....
Wells skill's are easier to find a replacement for than Jenkins' were.
Cullen was special. ProFootballFocus had documented how effective Jenkins was at pressuring QBs from the interior DL comparitively to the league.
Then of course we saw that, nobody on our roster was capable.

I want to keep Wells too, but I don't think he's going to get a gigantic long-term offer drom anyone else either. We'll see.

princefielder28
02-21-2012, 05:07 PM

Wells is arguably the 2nd most important player on our offense so there's no way to easily replace him in comparison to anyone. He is the quarterback of the offensive line and his comfort with Rodgers is something that can not be overlooked.

J-Mike88
02-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Wells is arguably the 2nd most important player on our offense so there's no way to easily replace him in comparison to anyone. He is the quarterback of the offensive line and his comfort with Rodgers is something that can not be overlooked.
I defended Wells for 2-3 years when everyone was trying to dispose of him in favor of the larger Spitz. And he's backed me up.

That being said, he's smart, and solid. But he doesn't possess any skillset that is hard to find, compared to what Cullen offered on the DL.

I'd like to keep Wells, because we can't have leaks in the middle. But not if it ties up our salary cap. But I would not want to let him go and use a #1 pick on a replacement.

TimmG6376
02-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Cullen was special. ProFootballFocus had documented how effective Jenkins was at pressuring QBs from the interior DL comparitively to the league.
Then of course we saw that, nobody on our roster was capable.

I want to keep Wells too, but I don't think he's going to get a gigantic long-term offer drom anyone else either. We'll see.

At least in the Jenkins situation there was the Neal/Wilson/Wynn trio on the roster who were expected to fill that void. In retrospect that was an error but hard to fault Thompson for thinking those guys would step up. Too bad he couldn't foresee Neal's fluke accident with a tackling sled or Wynn and Wilson's collective regression. Not to mention he was actually right about Jenkins' market value.

There is no way he can objectively look at this roster and see a viable replacement plan for Wells. He'll either have to pay a FA that will most likely not be an upgrade over Wells or spend a reasonably high draft choice on the position and hope that guy makes a quick adjustment to the NFL.

Unfortunately, Thompson seems to have an uncanny sense for his guys market value which means Wells will have to play ball or he'll be playing somewhere else.

J-Mike88
02-22-2012, 08:14 AM
If TT was right about Jenkins market value being lower than we fans and Cullen himself thought, then why didn't he keep him if it was so cheap?

Victor Cruz and James Jones had no market value either.

Market value doesn't determine how much contribution a player will make, or has made. Every single Packers defensive player will tell you to a man how important and how good Cullen was for us. You can't dismiss that.

I expect Wells stays with us, and I sure hope so.

TimmG6376
02-22-2012, 08:54 AM
]If TT was right about Jenkins market value being lower than we fans and Cullen himself thought, then why didn't he keep him if it was so cheap?[/B]

Victor Cruz and James Jones had no market value either.

Market value doesn't determine how much contribution a player will make, or has made. Every single Packers defensive player will tell you to a man how important and how good Cullen was for us. You can't dismiss that.

I expect Wells stays with us, and I sure hope so.

TT can only offer what he thinks is a reasonable amount based on what the market will bare. He can't force Cullen to take it. Cullen chased the payday instead of taking a cap-friendly deal to compete for another SB and ended up in the toilet that is Philadelphia. C'est la vie.

He was right about Jones too. We all thought teams would be clamoring for his services and we were wrong. TT ended up getting him back for a very reasonable number.

And I'm not saying it wouldn't have been nice to keep Cullen. I wanted them to at the time, but overall I agree with Thompson's philosophy. Green Bay is a small market and at some point he is going to have to extend Rodgers and Matthews. You can't afford to overpay guys that are role players (Jones) or who you believe you have the depth to replace (Jenkins). Wells is neither of those, he is a pretty critical piece IMO, so I question Thompson letting it get to this point. I hope something can be worked out but if as the article states Wells still harbors ill feelings bout being "replaced" by Spitz, I am worried.

EvilMonkey
02-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Finley signed to 2 year deal

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/22/packers-finley-work-out-two-year-contract/

TitleTown088
02-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Flynn tag n' trade now?

Guy can dream...

jackalope
02-22-2012, 08:00 PM
I'd have like to lock up Finley to a longer contract, but I'm very pleased this got done.

princefielder28
02-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Flynn tag n' trade now?

Guy can dream...

I still don't see that happening...too much of a financial risk

maybe tag Wells if they're not comfortable with giving him a long term deal

Hawk
02-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Someone will trade for Flynn

TimmG6376
02-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Someone will trade for Flynn

Yeah as long as they don't set the price too high. Maybe a 1st next year or a 2nd along with some other picks. I'd say a 1st next year is best case. I'd be surprised if anyone gave up this years 1st for him. Especially considering the teams that will likely be interested are picking fairly high.

TimmG6376
02-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Saw someone throw this out there somewhere (don't recall where) and found it unlikely but interesting.

What if Miami were to offer a 2nd and Cameron Wake?

If Miami is moving to the 4-3 I'm not sure he really fits in there anymore. He has been a productive OLB, but is 30 years old which might concern the Packers front office. He'd be an immediate upgrade at ROLB and with the additional pick they would still have ammunition to get a guy to groom for the future.

ImBrotherCain
02-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Saw someone throw this out there somewhere (don't recall where) and found it unlikely but interesting.

If Miami is moving to the 4-3 I'm not sure he really fits in there anymore. He has been a productive OLB, but is 30 years old which might concern the Packers front office. He'd be an immediate upgrade at ROLB and with the additional pick they would still have ammunition to get a guy to groom for the future.

I doubt it would be an "And" but I would gladly take Wake straight up.

SuperPacker
02-23-2012, 10:38 AM
7.5 million for Finley? He's definitely not worth that! Why didnt we just tag him because im sure he had already said he would be wiling to accept it.

TimmG6376
02-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Because now they can use the tag on someone else and the first year is only $5.75mil the number under the franchise tag was expected to be $5.5mil. In the second year it escalates to force either renegotiation or free agency. From Finely's side it really takes the franchise tag out of the picture. If the Packers decide after next season they don't think he deserves a long term contract they can release him prior to the roster bonus deadline and he is a UFA.

The deal is officially two years for about $15 million, but according to Silverstein, it is more like a one-year deal worth $5.75 million with an option to add a more lucrative second season. The details: Finley will receive $5.75 million in 2012 and then be due a $4.45 million roster bonus soon after the 2013 free-agent market begins.

The Packers could decline the bonus, making Finley a free agent, or pick it up to keep him on their roster for 2013. In that case, Finley will receive $10.2 million in the first 13 months of the deal.

bigboiajhawk
02-23-2012, 11:48 AM
7.5 million for Finley? He's definitely not worth that! Why didnt we just tag him because im sure he had already said he would be wiling to accept it.

100% disagree with you; he is most definitely worth it. 24/25 years old next season, opens the entire field for Arod, and will only get better. It was a perfect deal for both sides. Finley is happy because he wasn't tagged and the Packers can be happy knowing that a long term deal wont make Finley complacent.

SuperPacker
02-23-2012, 12:46 PM
I just dont like him lol. I know probably every Packer fan disagrees with me but i really wouldnt of cared if we traded him or let him go.

I trust TT to do the right thing though so i'll stick by him whatever he chooses to do.

Pack_Attack_4
02-23-2012, 07:53 PM
I just dont like him lol. I know probably every Packer fan disagrees with me but i really wouldnt of cared if we traded him or let him go.

I trust TT to do the right thing though so i'll stick by him whatever he chooses to do.

Man Finley is a freak, too quick for LBs and too big for DBs, if he could catch better he would get a 1000 yrds reciveing

J-Mike88
02-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Do you know how much Cameron Wake would improve this defense?

I would trade Flynn for Wake in a heartbeat.
OR happily take Miami's 2nd, which is a high one.

You think we could get both?
No way in hell.

I seriously doubt we could come close to even getting Wake straight up. I'd throw in Hawk with Flynn to get Wake. But they'd have to send us a pick though.

TimmG6376
02-24-2012, 08:45 AM
He'd improve it immensely, but even if Miami were willing to part with him there are some obstacles. He is 30 years old and he is scheduled to be a UFA in 2013.

Seems like after some more searching that Miami does intend to extend his contract and move him to DE. I just don't know how effective he'll be as a 4-3 DE at 250lbs. I know he did it in Canada, but the NFL is a whole different ballgame. It is a shame to see guys who are ideal rush linebackers get misused.

J-Mike88
02-24-2012, 09:02 AM
He'd improve it immensely, but even if Miami were willing to part with him there are some obstacles. He is 30 years old and he is scheduled to be a UFA in 2013.

Seems like after some more searching that Miami does intend to extend his contract and move him to DE. I just don't know how effective he'll be as a 4-3 DE at 250lbs. I know he did it in Canada, but the NFL is a whole different ballgame. It is a shame to see guys who are ideal rush linebackers get misused.
That's a great point. It's a totally different position and skillset required. Jared Allen could not make it as a standup OLB and be great. Same with Aaron Kampman, Dwight Freeny, and I suspect Cameron Wake.
The reverse, IMO, is clearly true of OLBs like Matthews, DeMarcus Ware, Von Miller, and I believe Jerry Hughes. Guy has been miscast for 2 years.

When we get him, and he blows up, everyone will wonder how come he sucked for the Colts but is great for us. It's called being out of position in Indy.
Sadly, those bast*rds tanked the season so badly they now have blown up the whole coaching staff and are going to go to a 3-4 it appears, even though they have the perfect 4-3 bookends in Mathis & Freeney.

J-Mike88
02-24-2012, 09:55 AM
I still don't see that happening...too much of a financial risk

Everything is a risk in the NFL, from 1sat round picks like Justin Harrell, AJ Hawk, Charles Rogers, Jamarcus Russell, etc. to free agent additions like Charles Woodson, Ryan Pickett, Joe Johnson, ALbert Haynesworth, etc.

The Packers are in a golden, and very rare to be frank, position here with Matt Flynn. And the cool thing is that the guy who has been coaching him for 4 years behind the scenes just happens to have gone to Miami, where they need a QB. Like the coaches behind the scenes saw with Rodgers for 3 years, they knew what he had.
Same is true of Flynn for Philbin. That's a lot more known than any rookie they can get aside from maybe Andrew Luck.

While most have doubted this could happen, I believe there has been a "hoodwink" deal in place with Miami and Philbin all along.

I'd just rather get Cameron Wake than any draft pick, especially if they are moving to a 43 defense which will not be good for him. Imagine him and Clay for the next 3-4 years as bookend OLBs for us.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120223/PKR01/120223107/NFL-franchise-tag-looks-like-real-possibility-for-Green-Bay-Packers-backup-QB-Matt-Flynn?

Franchise tag looking like real possibility for backup QB Flynn

jackalope
02-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Jason Cole of Yahoo reporting that the Packers are expected to cut Clifton, restructure Driver. Glad to hear they won't be cutting DD, though I'm not sure what the plan with Gurley is now. 6 WRs?

Freeing up this cap space opens up the tag/trade for Flynn.

TimmG6376
02-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Love DD, but I agree. What does this mean for Gurley? They are 3 deep in veterans at WR and Cobb now in the mix means the top 4 are locked in. They fought to keep him on the PS this season, but if he doesn't make the roster he won't stick around again if another team comes calling.

J-Mike88
02-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Love DD, but I agree. What does this mean for Gurley? They are 3 deep in veterans at WR and Cobb now in the mix means the top 4 are locked in. They fought to keep him on the PS this season, but if he doesn't make the roster he won't stick around again if another team comes calling.
It's an amazing, and rare, "problem" to have but keeping Donald would make me smile as much as a regular season win does.

I do want to see Gurley though.
I also love James Jones. Guy is a great guy and strong as bull.
But if we plan to keep playing Donald, and it's time to get Tori in there (he could be a future stud), then someone has to be out.... I wonder what a team with horrible WRs like Jacksonville, Cleveland, Warshington would give for Jones.

TitleTown088
02-27-2012, 11:32 AM
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports the Packers discussed free agent C Chris Myers with his representatives "in one of the technically illegal but nonetheless widespread meetings" at the Combine.

Ploy for Wells or legit interest is the question.

princefielder28
02-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Ploy for Wells or legit interest is the question.

I would say there's legit interest

TitleTown088
02-27-2012, 07:16 PM
I would say there's legit interest

Wonder what he could do for the run game.

SuperPacker
02-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Myers is a good player probably better than Wells so i wouldnt be too annoyed if we lost Wells then got Myers in.

PackerLegend
02-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Double D is going to be on dancing with the stars. He already has it in the bag.... guy has moves.

J-Mike88
02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Double D is going to be on dancing with the stars. He already has it in the bag.... guy has moves.
I will have to watch it for once!

Just saw this posted:

NICK COLLINS chances of returning:

It isn't the doctor's decision. Dr. McKenzie can clear him medically, but that's it. And it isn't Collins' decision. It's the team's decision, specifically Ted Thompson's. And the powers that be don't want to have to hold their breath every time Nick Collins is involved in a hard hit or is slow to get up.

So they're going to do everything in their power to convince Nick to retire and spend time with his wife and four kids. And if they can't, then they'll release him. But they aren't going to be party to him reinjuring himself no matter how remote that possibility is. You can provide all the medical rationale you want but it's always going to come down to these three words: Surgically. Repaired. Neck.

Somebody above said that Robert Ferguson came back to the Packers after a bad neck injury. I presume that you're referring to missing the final three games of the 2004 season following a very hard/borderline dirty hit in the Jacksonville game. I was under the impression this was a concussion, not a neck injury. I could be wrong. But the vast majority of neck injuries are career enders as far as the Packers are concerned.

If you're a long term guy like Thompson, it's much better to replace Collins in this draft than to expose yourself to this risk. He's a conservative guy and he's not going to take the chance.

I'd bet a six pack of Pabst on this. Collins is done with Green Bay.

jackalope
02-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Where is that from?

J-Mike88
02-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Where is that from?
Buddy of mine.... can't mention who or the site, against the rules.

Forget that.
Do you disagree with it?
I hope he's wrong as I want Nick back more than any other thing this off-season.

jackalope
02-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Buddy of mine.... can't mention who or the site, against the rules.

Forget that.
Do you disagree with it?
I hope he's wrong as I want Nick back more than any other thing this off-season.

Well, if that's opinion, I disagree. Everything I have heard on the situation is that it's merely a matter of whether he's medically cleared to play. He's waiting on the tests to give him a yes or no and that will be Collins' decision.

TimmG6376
02-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Saw something last night that said Clifton just had back surgery and feels much better now. Apparently after the hamstring healed he had some lingering lower back issue. I wouldn't put it past Thompson to renegotiate Clifton's deal for some insurance even though the rumors are that he'll be cut. I don't think Sherrod will be able to contribute this year.

TitleTown088
02-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Where is that from?
Another forum.

J-Mike88
02-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Another forum.
Right.
Don't want to mention any other forums by name, but the info was solid. Hopefully wrong.
But solid.

I hope Clifton is back cheap, as insurance.

cuzifelt1ikeit
03-01-2012, 01:52 AM
I will have to watch it for once!

Just saw this posted:

NICK COLLINS chances of returning:

It isn't the doctor's decision. Dr. McKenzie can clear him medically, but that's it. And it isn't Collins' decision. It's the team's decision, specifically Ted Thompson's. And the powers that be don't want to have to hold their breath every time Nick Collins is involved in a hard hit or is slow to get up.

So they're going to do everything in their power to convince Nick to retire and spend time with his wife and four kids. And if they can't, then they'll release him. But they aren't going to be party to him reinjuring himself no matter how remote that possibility is. You can provide all the medical rationale you want but it's always going to come down to these three words: Surgically. Repaired. Neck.

Somebody above said that Robert Ferguson came back to the Packers after a bad neck injury. I presume that you're referring to missing the final three games of the 2004 season following a very hard/borderline dirty hit in the Jacksonville game. I was under the impression this was a concussion, not a neck injury. I could be wrong. But the vast majority of neck injuries are career enders as far as the Packers are concerned.

If you're a long term guy like Thompson, it's much better to replace Collins in this draft than to expose yourself to this risk. He's a conservative guy and he's not going to take the chance.

I'd bet a six pack of Pabst on this. Collins is done with Green Bay.

this is the only thing ive read on this as well.. hopefully not true but you cant put him at risk like that. i dont think it can be his decision either.. of course hes going to say he can play. football players are wired to throw some dirt on it and get back out there.

TitleTown088
03-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Right.
Don't want to mention any other forums by name, but the info was solid. Hopefully wrong.
But solid.

What? Info? That was some random dude's opinion on a message board.

SuperPacker
03-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Green Bay Packers Offseason Recap

http://www.totalpackers.com/images/donalddriver.jpg
Packers say goodbye to three veterans.

Super Packers first move as Green Bay Packers general manager was to cut Chad Clifton, Donald Driver and AJ Hawk. The three players saved the Packers close to 15 million in cap space. Clifton who was set to earn close to 5 million this year has struggled with injury problems over the past few years and is nearing the end of his career. The Packers also released veteran linebacker AJ Hawk who failed to live up to his salary of 2011. Hawk was also set to earn around 5 million in 2012 which is part of the reason they decided to cut him, the other believed to be that he got outplayed by the two young inside linebackers Robert Francois and DJ Smith, who is set to become the starter. The final cut of they day, Donald Driver, scheduled to earn close to 4 million in 2012, saw his production drop last year. He struggled to make the impact expected of a man earning his money and the team wishes to look towards the future.

http://www.totalpackers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/jermichael-finley.jpg
Packers franchise and then trade Finley.

With the most discussed move of their offseason, the Packers put the franchise tag on tight end Jermichael Finley and then later traded him to the Buffalo Bills. GM Super Packer had made it very clear of his interests from the get go so it was no suprise to see the talented yet underachieving receiver leave Green Bay. For the rights to Finley, Green Bay received Buffalo's second, fourth and fifth round pick in return for their second round pick and the tight end.

http://gridironfans.com/forums/attachments/latest-nfl-headlines/30294d1323022034-chargers-ot-jared-gaither-expected-start-left-jared-gaither.png
Gaither now a Packer.

With free-agency upon them, Green Bay wasted no time in signing and cutting players. The first two signings the Packers made sent out a clear motive, protecting Aaron Rodgers. The Packers had already declared their interest in resigning Scott Wells and thats exactly what they did when they signed him to a 4 year deal averaging in at around 5 million a year. They also announced they had resigned Jarret Bush to be the dime cornerback in Dom Capers defense.

They then surprisingly went the route they dont often ride on by bringing in three free agents Jared Gaither, Dennis Dixon and Visanthe Shiancoe. Gaither the left tackle made a great impression whilst at the Chargers. He went there mid-season and protected Philip Rivers from the moment he stepped on the field. The tackles deal, reported to be averaging 4 million a year will be set with the task of protecting Rodgers blind side. The Packers also signed former Steelers quarterback Dennis Dixon on a 1 million a year deal and will be asked to be the back up behind Aaron Rodgers. With the final free agent signing of their day, Green Bay signed tight end Visanthe Shiancoe formerly of the Vikings. After trading away Jermichael Finley, the Packers felt as though they needed a tight end with starting experience that could come in a play in front of the young players they currently have at the position. Shiancoe was also signed to a deal averaging 1 million a year.

With the five signings out the way general manager Super Packer turned his attention to cuts, They announced the release of safety Charlie Peprah, outside linebacker Frank Zombo and tight end Tom Crabtree.

http://usc.ocregister.com/files/2012/02/perry.0227.jpg
Packers grab pass rusher, Nick Perry, USC.

With the free agency out of the way for the moment the Packers were allowed to turn all eyes onto the NFL Draft. It was obvious the Packers would go into the draft looking to improve on their defensive unit, who ranked dead last in 2011, and improve it is exactly what they did.

In the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers selected USC defensive end, Nick Perry, after making a trade with the Tennessee Titans which allowed them to grab him with the 20th overall pick. Perry, an exciting young player will be lined up opposite Clay Matthews at outside linebacker in the 3-4 defense and will be responsible for producing sacks and creating them for others.

In the second round, with the pick they received from Buffalo, Green Bay drafted defensive tackle Kendall Reyes, Connecticut. Tackle was also a position of need for them after letting Cullen Jenkins walk in 2011 and seeing Mike Neal again plagued by injuries.

With the later picks in the draft the Packers added secondary help in the form Furman cornerback, Ryan Steed and safety Aaron Henry out of Wisconsin. Sandwiched between these two was Boise State defensive tackle, Billy Winn who will come in to add competition on the defensive line. Outside linebacker, Kyle Wilber was also added to create some healthy pass rushing competition.

Green Bay then turned their attention to offensive depth by bringing in centre David Molk from Michigan, LSU tight end, DeAngelo Peterson, SMU offensive guard, Josh LeRibeus and Tennessee running back, Tauren Poole. They then finished their draft by picking Chris Galippo, the inside linebacker who will join his college team mate Nick Perry.

It was then later noted that the Packers had signed one undrafted free agent by bringing in Danny Coale, wide receiver out of Virginia Tech.

http://images.wikia.com/packers/images/4/40/Graham_Harrell.jpg
Packers trim roster to 53.
With the 2012 NFL season nearly upon us the Packers have been busy trimming their roster down looking to find the best 53 men on their team. This isn't a pleasant time for anyone especially the players who realise their future could be in doubt.

The unlucky seven were as follows; QB Graham Harrell, RB Tauren Poole, TE Ryan Taylor, TE Andrew Quarless, OG Ray Dominguez, DT CJ Wilson and OLB Kyle Wilber.

What do you guys think of my Green Bay Packers forum offseason?

TitleTown088
03-02-2012, 05:43 PM
http://lockerz.com/s/188876630

AJ Hawk cut his hair.

SuperPacker
03-02-2012, 05:45 PM
http://c0014204.r32.cf1.rackcdn.com/x2_b420756

unfortunatley it wont make him any less ****

J-Mike88
03-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Titletown, no.

Good mock SuperPacker!
No need for Dennis Dixon, at all, but love the other 2 additions even though it is DEFENSE that we need help on, not OFFENSE.
Cutting Hawk I believe saves us no money this year. He will still count on our cap, so it's wise to keep him unless someone will trade for him.

Cutting his hair, what a shock!
He still looks like the guy from the original Mask movie.

SuperPacker
03-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Titletown, no.

Good mock SuperPacker!
No need for Dennis Dixon, at all, but love the other 2 additions even though it is DEFENSE that we need help on, not OFFENSE.
Cutting Hawk I believe saves us no money this year. He will still count on our cap, so it's wise to keep him unless someone will trade for him.

Cutting his hair, what a shock!
He still looks like the guy from the original Mask movie.

I saved 5million by cutting him. Yeah i wanted to focus in adding defensive talent in the draft so i wasnt concerned about getting any free agent defensive players. I thought Dixon would be better than Graham Harrell so i just thought it was worth it getting him on a cheap deal.

I was happy i got Nick Perry and Kendall Reyes in the first two rounds.

bigboiajhawk
03-03-2012, 04:45 PM
I saved 5million by cutting him. Yeah i wanted to focus in adding defensive talent in the draft so i wasnt concerned about getting any free agent defensive players. I thought Dixon would be better than Graham Harrell so i just thought it was worth it getting him on a cheap deal.

I was happy i got Nick Perry and Kendall Reyes in the first two rounds.

No you did not save $5M by cutting him!!!!!!!! He is guaranteed money from the Packers. This means they either trade him (Which I highly doubt) or they release him and eat every penny that is guaranteed to him. Also, Jermichael Finley has been signed.....

I would love to get Nick Perry and Kendall Reyes, that would be quite a haul. However, I wouldn't mind trading up to get Nick Perry (Most likely costing us a 1st and a 2nd) and then drafting a DE in the 3rd (Mike Martin, Derek Wolfe come to mind).

I am really hoping the Packers can sign and trade Flynn, and get a 2nd round/future pick for him.

SuperPacker
03-03-2012, 05:46 PM
No you did not save $5M by cutting him!!!!!!!! He is guaranteed money from the Packers. This means they either trade him (Which I highly doubt) or they release him and eat every penny that is guaranteed to him. Also, Jermichael Finley has been signed.....

I would love to get Nick Perry and Kendall Reyes, that would be quite a haul. However, I wouldn't mind trading up to get Nick Perry (Most likely costing us a 1st and a 2nd) and then drafting a DE in the 3rd (Mike Martin, Derek Wolfe come to mind).

I am really hoping the Packers can sign and trade Flynn, and get a 2nd round/future pick for him.

Umm yeah i did save 5 million by cutting him. It was a forum mock which was started before any free agent moves had been made. BeerBaron ran it and when i cut Hawk i got 5 million in cap space. I think i would know...

I would of traded Matt Flynn but he was just made a free agent from the start.

J-Mike88
03-03-2012, 10:10 PM
In real life, we cut Hawk and it saves nothing for our cap because that $ is guaranteed.
That was a suspect contract given there...

PackerLegend
03-03-2012, 11:03 PM
You trade away Finely and then go sign Visanthe Shianco. It makes no sense and is a terrible move IMO.

Also Hawk still looks terrible. His picture should not be taken ever.

SuperPacker
03-04-2012, 06:25 AM
In real life, we cut Hawk and it saves nothing for our cap because that $ is guaranteed.
That was a suspect contract given there...

This isn't real life though. I cut Hawk and had 5 million more in cap space to spend. Is that hard to understand or something.

You trade away Finely and then go sign Visanthe Shianco. It makes no sense and is a terrible move IMO.

Yeah i guessed no one would like the Finley trade but tbh i dont like him so i got rid of him. I then had the ammunition to trade up for Nick Perry and i got Kendall Reyes with the Bills second round pick, so in my eyes it was worth it.

princefielder28
03-04-2012, 01:01 PM
The Green Bay Press Gazette is reporting that it's looking unlikely that the team will franchise tag Matt Flynn...smart move!

J-Mike88
03-04-2012, 02:08 PM
This isn't real life though. I cut Hawk and had 5 million more in cap space to spend. Is that hard to understand or something.
So we're talking real life here. Packers. Real Packers.
You're talking Fantasy Football or some schit like that?

That IS hard to understand I guess. Nobody gives a rats @ss about board games here, I guess.

J-Mike88
03-04-2012, 02:09 PM
The Green Bay Press Gazette is reporting that it's looking unlikely that the team will franchise tag Matt Flynn...smart move!
Smart?
It's only smart to pass on the rare opportunity to cash in big on an investement that has risen in value IF IF IF we don't have the cap flexibility to pull it off. If that is the case, I am a bit sad.

I can find 5-8 guys I'd cut if it meant getting a high 2nd and high 3rd, or a low 1st rounder.

SuperPacker
03-04-2012, 02:10 PM
So we're talking real life here. Packers. Real Packers.
You're talking Fantasy Football or some schit like that?

That IS hard to understand I guess. Nobody gives a rats @ss about board games here, I guess.

I posted my forum-offseason and said i saved 5 million by cutting Hawk and people were saying

"no you didnt save 5million"

"Yes i did, so **** off!"

Thats all...

SuperPacker
03-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Smart?
It's only smart to pass on the rare opportunity to cash in big on an investement that has risen in value IF IF IF we don't have the cap flexibility to pull it off. If that is the case, I am a bit sad.

I can find 5-8 guys I'd cut if it meant getting a high 2nd and high 3rd, or a low 1st rounder.

^^^^^^

what he said.

TitleTown088
03-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Smart?

You're assuming there is an opportunity set in stone. There may not be. Its a sticky situation.

TitleTown088
03-04-2012, 09:10 PM

While that may be true, don't forget the local media was also saying that the Packers didn't even have the option of Franchising Flynn ( due to financial terms) just a few weeks ago.

yodabear
03-05-2012, 10:29 PM
I went to the Bucks game (it was "free" for my sports marketing class) But Aaron Rodgers was there. He did his belt thingy. I thought I hated the guy cuz ESPN slurped him so much. But I think Aaron Rodgers is cool. And I like the dude and am bummed I dissed the dude so much. I said the same thing about Favre, but I grew to like him too. Damn u Green Bay for always having good and cool QBs.

jackalope
03-05-2012, 10:46 PM
I went to the Bucks game (it was "free" for my sports marketing class) But Aaron Rodgers was there. He did his belt thingy. I thought I hated the guy cuz ESPN slurped him so much. But I think Aaron Rodgers is cool. And I like the dude and am bummed I dissed the dude so much. I said the same thing about Favre, but I grew to like him too. Damn u Green Bay for always having good and cool QBs.

If you listen to Rodgers' weekly radio show, he's got a really good sense of humor and seems like a really down-to-earth guy who doesn't take himself too seriously. Hard not to like the guy.

And sorry you had to watch a Bucks game.

Gravedigger42
03-07-2012, 11:00 AM
IMO this whole Manning thing messed up any idea of a sign and trade for Flynn. Most of the potential Flynn suitors are also in the Manning sweepstakes. If the Pack did tag Flynn and then only had team still interested in trading for Flynn they could offer a 5th rounder and say take it or be stuck paying your back up 14 mil. Too many options out there at QB to take the risk of being stuck with Flynn at that price. If your a team looking for a QB, you've got Manning, RG3 and Tannehill to go after if the price for Flynn was too high. The Packers would basiclly have zero leverage in any trade talks until the first ten picks of the draft play out and Manning is signed

princefielder28
03-07-2012, 12:11 PM
There will be no sign and trade with Flynn

The Flynn decision became easy for the team because there's questionable interest in him throughout the league, the market isn't as large with a Manning and 2 stud college guys out there, the potential 14.4 million dollar price tag on him was scary, and the team will be compensated a 3rd round conditional pick for Flynn so what was really the upside; maybe one round higher with the pick? that potential gain wasn't worth the risk

J-Mike88
03-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Correct on the Manning situation.
Miami has a big play on him, otherwise I believe Philbin would have jumped at Matt Flynn.

But we needed 2 teams bidding against each other, and that's not Ted's forte.

He's never outbattled anyone for a single free agent. Woodson had no other offers and he waited 2 months for another one to come.

Ted is a very good collegiate talent evaluator, and drafter. That's what he's good at.

He's not gonna win a Mario Williams free agent sweepstakes, or apparently shake someone for a high 2nd round pick or late 1st. That's the value that Flynn has, as I think we'll see based on the contract he signs.

Just a pity that the 2 QBs we drafted in 2008 both resulted in nothing for us.

The 2nd rounder sucked, a blown high pick.
The 7th rounder blossomed into a commodity, and we got nothing for him except an early 4th rd comp pick in 2013.

I mean it didn't matter that Brohm sucked or Flynn panned out. Neither netted us anything.

Let's nitpick here: Ted took Brohm and Pat Lee in that 2nd round. He also took Jordy. 2 Fails. 1 Hit.

But other guys he could have taken in place of Brohm and Lee that draft:
Calais Campbell was pick 50.
Ray Rice was pick 55.
Terrell Thomas pick 63.
Kendall Langford pick 66.
Jamaal Charles pick 73.

Anyway, Teddy got us J-Mike in round 3 there. Another hit. Then a miss with Jeremy Thompson in round 4.

Wonder what would have happened if Flynn had been extended after his 3rd season.......

SuperPacker
03-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Miami has a big play on him, otherwise I believe Philbin would have jumped at Matt Flynn.

He's never outbattled anyone for a single free agent. Woodson had no other offers and he waited 2 months for another one to come.

Ted is a very good collegiate talent evaluator, and drafter. That's what he's good at.

He's not gonna win a Mario Williams free agent sweepstakes, or apparently shake someone for a high 2nd round pick or late 1st. That's the value that Flynn has, as I think we'll see based on the contract he signs.

The 7th rounder blossomed into a commodity, and we got nothing for him except an early 4th rd comp pick in 2013.

I mean it didn't matter that Brohm sucked or Flynn panned out. Neither netted us anything.

Let's nitpick here: Ted took Brohm and Pat Lee in that 2nd round. He also took Jordy. 2 Fails. 1 Hit.

Ray Rice was pick 55.
Terrell Thomas pick 63.
Jamaal Charles pick 73.

Anyway, Teddy got us J-Mike in round 3 there. Another hit. Then a miss with Jeremy Thompson in round 4.

Wonder what would have happened if Flynn had been extended after his 3rd season.......

We'll get a 3rd round pick for him so its not too bad.

TitleTown088
03-08-2012, 02:17 PM

Ray Rice was pick 55.
Terrell Thomas pick 63.
Jamaal Charles pick 73.

You're conveniently looking at everything from hindsight.

Also, Flynn with net the something next year you can't conveniently look over that.

mqtirishfan
03-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Seriously, when Flynn gets a big contract elsewhere, TT will have turned a 7th round pick into a 3rd/4th rounder, while getting 4 years of service out of the player. That's about as much of a success as you could possibly hope for.

SuperPacker
03-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Seriously, when Flynn gets a big contract elsewhere, TT will have turned a 7th round pick into a 3rd/4th rounder, while getting 4 years of service out of the player. That's about as much of a success as you could possibly hope for.

yeah basically this lol. hopefully our staff can get a few more Matt Flynn's down the road.

and regarding the risk with the flynn trade. i dont see why theres any risk, if we couldnt get a first for him we'd ask for a 2nd and in the unlikely event of no one offering a 2nd we could just ask for a 3rd. Im 100% certain a team would offer a third so why not do it? no risk involved and we get a higher draft pick this year.

jackalope
03-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Yeah, you can take any draft and say "see, we could have gotten Ray Rice and Jamaal Charles," but nobody was actually even considering Green Bay drafting those guys at the time. It's really pointless to just pull out the best players and point to them. What's at least somewhat valuable is to look at players of the same position, or that were actual possibilities at the time and compare them to guys drafted around them. For example, I would take Jordy Nelson over every other receiver drafted in 2008.

That said, Brohm was an absolutely terrible pick.

J-Mike88
03-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Yeah, you can take any draft and say "see, we could have gotten Ray Rice and Jamaal Charles," but nobody was actually even considering Green Bay drafting those guys at the time. It's really pointless to just pull out the best players and point to them. What's at least somewhat valuable is to look at players of the same position, or that were actual possibilities at the time and compare them to guys drafted around them. For example, I would take Jordy Nelson over every other receiver drafted in 2008.

That said, Brohm was an absolutely terrible pick.
Right.... and I admit I was excited about Brohm, and not about Flynn.

I feel like Flynn had late 1st round value, that's all.
High 2nd round value at worst.
And we get essentially a high 4th for him.
A year later. That's why I am sad and disappointed. Feel like Teddy should have been able to cash him in.

Pplus by Flynn playing in week 17, raising only HIS value to HIMSELF, it hurt the Arod momentum. Played some part in the meltdown to the Giants.

How much, we'll never know.

TitleTown088
03-10-2012, 03:18 PM
And we get essentially a high 4th for him.

Essentially? We won't know what we "essentially" get until he signs somewhere.

Pplus by Flynn playing in week 17, raising only HIS value to HIMSELF, it hurt the Arod momentum. Played some part in the meltdown to the Giants.

That's just an opinion. And probably one I wouldn't agree with. I think most people would put more blame on the defense that got straight rolled by Eli.

SuperPacker
03-10-2012, 03:22 PM
That's just an opinion. And probably one I wouldn't agree with. I think most people would put more blame on the defense that got straight rolled by Eli.

I'd put more blame on the offense that missed several great chances to get back into the game.

J-Mike88
03-11-2012, 12:52 PM
So you don't think Rodgers missing an extra week had ANY impact on the rusty-looking performance that we hadn't seen ever before, missing wide open guys, mis-reading his receivers routes on key plays? That wasn't the Rodgers we saw the first 15 weeks.

The defense sucked in the first half, but it was only 13-10 until the hail mary miracle.

In the 3rd quarter, they amazingly came up with a bunch of stops, but the offense kept misfiring and fumbling and dropping passes.

Anyway, it's true that Brohm in round 2 was a misfire for us, and Flynn in round 7 turned out great for him, and made Ted look like a smart drafter. But it netted us nothing until a comp pick next year probably prior to round 4.

jackalope
03-11-2012, 04:03 PM
But you can't just look at draft picks as what they end up getting you in return. To have a good #2 quarterback on the roster for four years is certainly worth a seventh round pick. Receiving a third round compensatory pick after those years of service is just gravy.

cvv84
03-12-2012, 03:11 PM
It would've been nice to get more for Flynn but we're still going to end up with additional picks next year. I would be hesitant to trade for him seeing he was a 7th round pick, has limited experience, you'd have to pay him big money upfront, and you just don't know how he'll end up in another system.

Guys like Charlie Whitehurst and Kevin Kolb make the teams that traded for them look stupid. With the rookie salaries the way they are now teams can pick a high upside guy while not financially committing the money.

Fact of the matter is what if Rodgers got injured this year? Flynn was a valuable insurance policy and you can't always get a top dollar return on your investment. Look at the Texans, they draft Mario Williams 1st overall and could lose him in free agency. The most they can net is a 3rd round supplemental pick. We took Flynn in the 7th and the most we can net is a 3rd round supplemental pick. Obviously both cases depend on free agent moves/signings/contracts of the teams.

But you can't just look at draft picks as what they end up getting you in return. To have a good #2 quarterback on the roster for four years is certainly worth a seventh round pick. Receiving a third round compensatory pick after those years of service is just gravy.

You're just spitting on a fire.

PackerLegend
03-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Free agency begins today will the pack sign anybody besides their own. I'm not talking huge names but maybe a mid tier guy who can help... FA is exciting just not for us, but its smart at times to avoid.

TimmG6376
03-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Free agency begins today will the pack sign anybody besides their own. I'm not talking huge names but maybe a mid tier guy who can help... FA is exciting just not for us, but its smart at times to avoid.

Not likely unless Wells signs somewhere else. Can't seem them going into the season with the only options being a rookie or EDS.

I would like to see them pursue a veteran S or DE, but as usual I'm not expecting much activity.

I think with Sherrod's injury it is likely Clifton comes back at a reduced salary for insurance.

SuperPacker
03-13-2012, 12:04 PM
We're definitely not signing anyone lol.

We haven't signed anyone for 3 years.

PackerLegend
03-13-2012, 12:21 PM
We're definitely not signing anyone lol.

We haven't signed anyone for 3 years.

Just because we haven't for 3 years doesn't mean we won't. People said TT wouldn't trade up either and he did. Yes its unlikely but maybe he will surprise us... I'm definitely not counting on it. Anyways its usually a good idea to avoid most FAs but there are guys we could use.

jackalope
03-13-2012, 01:33 PM
The only somewhat "big name" guy I could see Green Bay going after is Chris Myers, but I'm hoping we just bring Wells back instead.

cvv84
03-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Just because we haven't for 3 years doesn't mean we won't. People said TT wouldn't trade up either and he did. Yes its unlikely but maybe he will surprise us... I'm definitely not counting on it. Anyways its usually a good idea to avoid most FAs but there are guys we could use.

Exactly. Plus we have to remember that we're going to need to sign Jennings, Rodgers, and Matthews to new deals very shortly here.

The only somewhat "big name" guy I could see Green Bay going after is Chris Myers, but I'm hoping we just bring Wells back instead.

Personally I'd rather go bigger at the position. We don't really run a true ZBS anymore so signing Meyers over Wells is pretty much a lateral move IMO. Either guy would be alot of money to commit to a center in his 30s.

PackerLegend
03-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Mike Meal suspended 4 games for performance enhancing drugs per PFT. Great way to start the new year.

cvv84
03-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Mike Meal suspended 4 games for performance enhancing drugs per PFT. Great way to start the new year.

Yup, I'm no longer sticking up for him. Dude has potential but come on...

SuperPacker
03-14-2012, 03:08 PM
time we start looking to move on from mike neal and draft someone in the early rounds.

either cant stay healthy, playing bad or being stupid...

tjsunstein
03-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Justin Harrell, Johnny Jolly, now Mike Neal. We let Cullen go why?

TimmG6376
03-14-2012, 04:28 PM
His cap number is low so he'll be around for one more year, but yeah he's going to have to play like gangbusters when he comes back from suspension if he wants to stick around.

SuperPacker
03-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Grabbing a guy like DaJohn Harris, Kendall Reyes or Mike Martin would be a big help. Apart from Pickett we are pretty bare at defensive end.

bigboiajhawk
03-14-2012, 08:43 PM
I thought I read from someone's twitter that Neal was using ADD pills. Either way, he is not accountable, and MM believes in accountability. Give me a DE in either Round 1 or 2 and I will be pretty happy this year. I feel like there are a bunch of guys that could help out the Packers DL this year.

TitleTown088
03-15-2012, 02:47 PM
The Packers have inquired about Miami free agent DE Kendall Langford, according to his agent Adisa Bakari, but no visit is scheduled and Langford visited Cincinnati today and is headed for St. Louis, according to published reports.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/142822005.html

Wells visiting St. Louis as well.

SuperPacker
03-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Sad to see Wells visiting other teams. TT must have something up his sleeve though. I cant see him starting EDS at C next year.

Kendall Langford... Not really a sack artist but a very decent 3-4 DE who could do a starting job if needed. Wonder how much we're looking to pay him.

TimmG6376
03-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Langford sounds like the ideal Thompson FA actually. Still relatively young. Coming off a bit of a down year, but might be a good fit for what they want out of their DEs. As long as he isn't looking for a big payday.

SuperPacker
03-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Langford sounds like the ideal Thompson FA actually. Still relatively young. Coming off a bit of a down year, but might be a good fit for what they want out of their DEs. As long as he isn't looking for a big payday.

I reckon we could get him for something like 4million? Just a total guess though.

Smokey
03-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Langford would certainly serve a need or, as an outside shot, Aaron Smith would as well.

Assuming Wells goes the biggest needs would be DE, OLB and C - adding a T for good measure. I hear that TT is enamoured of Peter Konz so that might fill C for years to come.

It would be great to see one of our needs met through FA but I'm not holding my breath.

TimmG6376
03-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Langford would certainly serve a need or, as an outside shot, Aaron Smith would as well.

Assuming Wells goes the biggest needs would be DE, OLB and C - adding a T for good measure. I hear that TT is enamoured of Peter Konz so that might fill C for years to come.

It would be great to see one of our needs met through FA but I'm not holding my breath.

Aaron Smith is 35 years old. In Thompsons' world he might as well be dead as a FA.

mqtirishfan
03-16-2012, 11:17 AM
I don't usually get into the whole sign a big FA thing, but I think Wimbley would make a lot of sense for us to go after.

bigboiajhawk
03-16-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't usually get into the whole sign a big FA thing, but I think Wimbley would make a lot of sense for us to go after.

That would be interesting to say the least. Maybe in Green Bay he could live up to his potential. I think though, with all the latest press about up coming contracts for Arod, Clay, Jennings, Raji, and possibly Finley again, TT will steer clear of signing any new bigger name Free Agents.

But, I was definitely thinking the same thing about Wimbley. Has he officially been released?

TimmG6376
03-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Yeah, this time of year is always weird. You feel slightly envious of the teams signing all of these high profile players, but then you look at the money that guys like Laurent Robinson, Meachem, and Eric Wright, are getting and you kind of understand where Thompson is coming from.

Looks like Wimbley has just been cut according to the twitterverse. Would be fine bringing him in at a reasonable number for some immediate impact while a young guy develops.

bigboiajhawk
03-16-2012, 06:16 PM
@AdamSchefter Rams agreed to terms with former Packers free agent center Scott Wells.

Welp, I guess Wells just wanted out of GB. Clearly TT does not hold Centers in high regard.

SuperPacker
03-16-2012, 06:24 PM
@AdamSchefter Rams agreed to terms with former Packers free agent center Scott Wells.

Welp, I guess Wells just wanted out of GB. Clearly TT does not hold Centers in high regard.

We 100% need a C now. It would be a waste to get one in the first round but maybe Myers or getting a potential starter in round 2-3?

CheeseKnuckles
03-16-2012, 06:48 PM
I would really like for TT to sign Myers and Langford. I know it most likely won't happen, but a guy can dream... Imagine if we take care of those two postions before the draft. It would put us in a good postion to be able to try and get the OLB we so desperately need.

I've been reading about Kevin Zietler being on TTs radar as a center. He could probably be had in the 3rd round I'm guessing. Also starting to take a liking to Cam Johnson as a possiblilty in the 2nd round us. At 6'3 268, I like that he has played in the 3-4 before. He ran the 40 in 4.8, but his 10 yard split was 1.58. That is damn good for a big man!

SuperPacker
03-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Chris Myers signs with the Texans.

Our only hope now is getting a centre through the draft.