PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83

princefielder28
05-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Phillip Merling has been signed.

Nick Hill and Cameron Ford waived.

Pack_Attack_4
05-23-2012, 11:52 AM
I like the addition of Merling adds depth to the D line while Hargrove and Neal r suspended.

tjsunstein
05-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Phillip Merling went to Clemson, though...

Pack_Attack_4
05-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Phillip Merling went to Clemson, though...

I dont get it

SuperPacker
05-24-2012, 12:33 PM
All Clemson players suck.

ImBrotherCain
05-24-2012, 05:49 PM
All Clemson players suck.

Brian Dawkins begs to differ.

SuperPacker
05-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Brian Dawkins begs to differ.

All Clemson players not named Brian Dawkins :)

ImBrotherCain
05-24-2012, 06:09 PM
All Clemson players not named Brian Dawkins :)

Trevor Pryce and William "Refrigerator" Perry beg to disagree... Although to be fair I did have to look those up.

Hawk
05-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Touchdown Jesus begs to differ

BloodBrother
05-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Driver agrees to a restructured deal. No clue what the details are but it sounds like he's back for this season

if they really want Gurley on the team, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep 6 WR and only 4 TE this season. Won't lie, I'm stoked that DD's back. One of my all time fav Packers

I think this will be like the Hines Ward situation last season in Pitt. He won't do much this year and after the season he retires as a lifetime Packer

SuperPacker
05-30-2012, 05:53 AM
I like this, but only if we keep Gurley on team!

Pack_Attack_4
05-30-2012, 09:10 AM
Driver agrees to a restructured deal. No clue what the details are but it sounds like he's back for this season

if they really want Gurley on the team, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep 6 WR and only 4 TE this season. Won't lie, I'm stoked that DD's back. One of my all time fav Packers

I think this will be like the Hines Ward situation last season in Pitt. He won't do much this year and after the season he retires as a lifetime Packer

Glad to see DD is commin back for one more year, i hope we keep 6wr too. I dont think we need more than 3 TEs Finley Williams ?

BloodBrother
05-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Finley, Crabtree, Quarless, Taylor. Williams on the bubble since the Pack already have enough pass catching TE's and he can't block

TimmG6376
05-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Finley, Crabtree, Quarless, Taylor. Williams on the bubble since the Pack already have enough pass catching TE's and he can't block

Won't Quarless start on the PUP list?

BloodBrother
05-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Possibly, which opens up that roster spot for Gurley(or whatever other WR between Smithson, Borel, etc, etc)

when the time comes to activate Quarless from the PUP list, they can re-evaluate the TE corps and see how things are

BloodBrother
05-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Driver's deal is $2.5 million for this year and he got 500K up front

SuperPacker
05-31-2012, 03:55 AM
Meh, that's a bit bigger than I expected. Oh well, i'm happy to have him back! He's our most reliable receiver.

princefielder28
06-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Packers claimed DB Micah Pellerin off waivers from the Colts.

princefielder28
06-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Undrafted rookie OLB Dezman Moses has seen some action with the Packers' second-team defense at OTAs.

SuperPacker
06-02-2012, 06:31 AM
Tbf he hasn't got much in his way. Hopefully he can be another Vic So'oto that impresses in the pre season games. It would be nice to have a respectable back up behind Perry and Matthews, that we can sub in when we have too.

J-Mike88
06-03-2012, 11:27 PM
I hope this b*tch isn't any of your mommas, or sisters.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/156912915.html#!page=1&pageSize=10&sort=newestfirst

She's really getting publicly hammered for this act, nationwide even.
As bad as it is that our state can't even field 40-nonfat good looking women for cheerleaders, now this hit to the image of the female Packer fan!

http://www.packerforum.com/attachments/522523_3676460682041_1590699126_2852421_1275828023 _n-jpg.1750/

Pack_Attack_4
06-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Just read this on PFT Mike Neal was suspeded for takeing Addderall.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/05/mike-neal-questions-why-nfl-suspended-him-for-using-adderall/

J-Mike88
06-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Better chance at sticking and making a positive contribution for us this season:

-Mike Neal
-Philip Merling
-Daniel Muir
-CJ Wilson

princefielder28
06-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Better chance at sticking and making a positive contribution for us this season:

-Mike Neal
-Philip Merling
-Daniel Muir
-CJ Wilson

From that list I think CJ Wilson has the greatest chance to help us. With Merling and Neal there's a past of injuries and Neal provides the extra baggage with his suspension. Muir is nothing more than a camp body at this point. I don't see Merling or Muir making the team out of training camp.

J-Mike88
06-07-2012, 10:58 PM
What about Hargrove?

princefielder28
06-08-2012, 06:47 PM
What about Hargrove?

Hargrove will be given a chance as a rotational player when he comes off suspension but I think we'll see Worthy getting a considerable amount of playing time once we hit mid-season, Wilson should/projects to be a part of the rotation, and rookie Mike Daniels could very well impress enough to see playing time as well. It'll be difficult for Hargrove to see the field much unless the others mentioned are showing the coaches nothing or we see the injury bug hit our defensive line.

J-Mike88
06-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Hargrove will be given a chance as a rotational player when he comes off suspension but I think we'll see Worthy getting a considerable amount of playing time once we hit mid-season, Wilson should/projects to be a part of the rotation, and rookie Mike Daniels could very well impress enough to see playing time as well. It'll be difficult for Hargrove to see the field much unless the others mentioned are showing the coaches nothing or we see the injury bug hit our defensive line.
Knowing our injury luck, someone will be hurt, even if it's not a whole injury "bug", so I expect Hargrove to get some looks and create some havoc.
He has a lot of intensity and gets into the backfield a lot more than guys like Wilson and Wynn, Neal, etc.

And he'll be fresh & hungry.

TitleTown088
06-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Mike Neal says he has been cleared by NFL to take Adderall for ADD. still not sure if he can appeal his suspension again

Sounds like his suspension could be lifted. Or at least there is a chance.

BloodBrother
06-12-2012, 07:43 PM
We'll see. Still stupid of him to take something WITHOUT contacting the team about it. That's all it boiled down to. He had a prescription but didn't clear it with the NFL

Hopefully it's lifted because that'd be a nice boost to the DL as far as depth goes.

Jerel Worthy has been very impressive it sounds like during OTA's, etc. Been reading and seeing a lot of positive reports on him and about his quickness off the snap. McCarthy has also been raving about Davon House. He stayed in GB over the offseason and got himself into even better shape.

TitleTown088
06-13-2012, 04:16 PM
http://tinyurl.com/co4ryxa

princefielder28
06-13-2012, 05:28 PM
According to the Houston Chronicle's Lance Zierlein, "rumors started circulating around league circles" that the Packers are willing to trade James Jones

Jones is likely the #4 WR, at best, for the next season so it makes sense

BloodBrother
06-14-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm cool with it, depending on how Gurley/Borel, etc look in training camp. No need to move him right now. They have the luxury of waiting

princefielder28
06-14-2012, 09:20 AM
just a random thought: if it comes down to Borel or Gurley making the roster, i expect Borel to get the nod

TimmG6376
06-14-2012, 10:16 AM
just a random thought: if it comes down to Borel or Gurley making the roster, i expect Borel to get the nod

Really? Interesting. I've been thinking Gurley's size and experience at WR gives him the edge. Outside of Finley we don't have another receiver with that kind of size. And while he isn't going be an inline blocker he could be used similar to a split-out TE.

princefielder28
06-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Really? Interesting. I've been thinking Gurley's size and experience at WR gives him the edge. Outside of Finley we don't have another receiver with that kind of size. And while he isn't going be an inline blocker he could be used similar to a split-out TE.

Borel is still learning the receiver position and in that learning process it helps him that he played quarterback prior to making that transition. He fits the mold more of what we seem to value to our receivers; guys who give you potential after the catch with their speed and elusiveness. I know Aaron has been impressed with his improvement and adaptation to the position and even went as far as to say that he brings a similar skill set to Randall Cobb. Borel offers versatility with his potential on special teams as well and we all know how much the coaching staff values that.

jackalope
06-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Gurley also offers a lot of ability on special teams. Last training camp there was talk of him having a knack for blocking kicks.

BloodBrother
06-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Secret Superstar: DJ Smith (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/12/secret-superstar-d-j-smith-lb-green-bay-packers/)

Nice read on Packers ILB DJ Smith.

The team will likely begin this season with a new starter at outside linebacker and at safety. After yet another season of sub-par play (-3.1) and minimal impact (zero turnover plays) from A.J. Hawk, the Packers may finally be ready for a new face at inside linebacker as well. Hawk’s would-be replacement is our Secret Superstar: D.J. Smith.

As a rookie, Smith was one of the rare bright spots (+5.7) on last years’ dismal defense. His four-game stint late in the season showcased a play-making ability the Packers have been missing from Hawk–who has averaged just 1.8 sacks, 1.3 INT’s, and 0.3 FF per season–over the past six years.

Hawk isn't long for Green Bay. I would hope that DJ Smith is on the field more this season. He definitely showed better tackling ability and instincts than Hawk in his short stint late in the year

PackerLegend
06-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Hawk sucks and I've wanted him off the team for awhile. I really hope DJ Smith takes Ajs job.

TimmG6376
06-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Jones is likely the #4 WR, at best, for the next season so it makes sense

Yeah. This is at least the second time this rumor has been reported ( I think during the draft it was rumored that they were willing to trade him for picks). I know the guy has a reputation for untimely drops but I have to believe he would be an upgrade for some team. If true, it is strange that it is so hard to trade such a seemingly talented player. I don't recall his contract being that bad.

princefielder28
06-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah. This is at least the second time this rumor has been reported ( I think during the draft it was rumored that they were willing to trade him for picks). I know the guy has a reputation for untimely drops but I have to believe he would be an upgrade for some team. If true, it is strange that it is so hard to trade such a seemingly talented player. I don't recall his contract being that bad.

His contract isn't bad but remember when he hit free agency that there wasn't a great deal of interest in him which ultimately led him to come back to Green Bay at a team friendly rate. The rest, or majority, of the league must not hold him in high regard.

BloodBrother
06-14-2012, 10:54 PM
http://oi49.tinypic.com/w0jbq9.jpg

ImBrotherCain
06-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Too bad their numbers aren't 62, 63, 64 as well.

BloodBrother
06-16-2012, 10:49 AM
So, Leroy Butler is reporting on twitter that the Packers and Aaron Rodgers pretty much have an extension done. None of the other beat writers are tweeting back/commenting on Butler's tweets, so for now it's just taking it with a grain of salt

He said the extension is a 5yr/$96 million deal. Didn't specify how much is guaranteed, and went on to say that it saves the Packers money so B.J, Clay and Jennings can get re-signed as well

Again, it's only Butler reporting it, but during the NFL draft(when he was going to make the 2nd round pick for the Packers) he announced the pick on twitter well before he announced it on TV, so I don't think he'd be lying about something as important as this.

Again, here are the tweets:

leroy butler ‏@leap36 (https://twitter.com/#!/leap36)

Aaron Rodgers extention almost done, 5 years 96$ million. He is way under paid,? thoughts?

leroy butler ‏@leap36 (https://twitter.com/#!/leap36)

The deal saves packers money so bj, clay, Jennings can get resigned as well

PackerLegend
06-18-2012, 01:18 PM
If that is true it would be pretty awesome.

tjsunstein
06-21-2012, 04:30 PM
I hope to god that the extension is real.

Commenting on our DL, I have. Feeling Neal's suspension is going to be lifted with the doctors note and if it is, it would be incredibly promising to have him getting reps from day 1 considering the time he's already missed. This could be a big make or break year for him with his history and he needs to be on the field as much as possible. Loving the rave reviews of Worthy, but they arent surprising considering he shouldnt have been here when our first pick was on the clock. Hopefully the chip on his shoulder lasts, love players who have something to prove (ARodg, CM3). I havent read much about Mike Daniels from Iowa from OTAs but he may have been my favorite pick of the drft outside of the top two (obviously). If he performs well enough to rotate then our DL will be a strength come midseason when Hargrove returns barring injury. I really wish one of Wilson, Guy, that bunch would emerge as something more than "good enough" for a roster spot but thats how it goes.

Also, Im on board with DJ Smith over AJ Hawk.

princefielder28
06-25-2012, 04:02 PM
The Green Bay Press-Gazette did their lead sports story yesterday on trying to determine who the best Packer off all-time is; they decided on Don Hutson. I would lean towards Brett Favre, and while Hutson had an incredible career I think it's hard to place a player who very few people today have actually ever seen play. Plus I would not expect a writer for Press-Gazette to write a glowing article about Favre at this point in time.

WCH
06-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Interesting. Ron Wolf recently had this to say:

“To me, Brett Favre and I are like connected at the hips. I feel strong loyalty to Brett Favre. When I got here, Don Huston was the greatest player ever to play for the Green Bay Packers. I think everybody will tell you now, the greatest player ever to play for the Packers is Brett Favre. That’s his legacy.”

I think it's pretty amazing that our favorite team has such a great history that we're able to debate who was better: the all-time leading passer, or the guy who invented the pass route.

J-Mike88
06-25-2012, 10:59 PM
The Green Bay Press-Gazette did their lead sports story yesterday on trying to determine who the best Packer off all-time is; they decided on Don Hutson. I would lean towards Brett Favre, and while Hutson had an incredible career I think it's hard to place a player who very few people today have actually ever seen play. Plus I would not expect a writer for Press-Gazette to write a glowing article about Favre at this point in time.
Again, it depends what the criteria is.

If it's mostly based on statistics, and stats vs contemporaries, than it's Don Hutson but Favre had some incredible statistics, especially his 3 straight MVP years. Some people forget that.

The thing that eliminates Favre in my eyes was the fact that in the biggest games, which is post-season, he was nothing more than ordinary.
All his last-second magical touchdown passes in his career, all were in regular seasons.
He failed in the playoffs to produce at a high level, too many times.

He was outplayed by Culpepper, in Green Bay.
Out played by Vick of Atlanta, in Green Bay. Both of those guys were the underdogs.
When Brett was the underdog in St Louis, he was pathetically embarrassing.
Of course he also wilted big time in his last game with us, freezing up against the Giants with the Super Bowl at hand if he just played okay instead of atrocious.

He also didn't deliver on a signature drive moment like Brady did, losing to Denver. "He failed on that last drive, also threw a costly int in that game. Just one, but that one was the difference in a ring, and a loss. Rodgers threw no Ints vs the Steelers and that one is all it takes to make a difference in close Super Bowls like that.

WCH
06-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Again, it depends what the criteria is.

If it's mostly based on statistics, and stats vs contemporaries, than it's Don Hutson but Favre had some incredible statistics, especially his 3 straight MVP years. Some people forget that.

The thing that eliminates Favre in my eyes was the fact that in the biggest games, which is post-season, he was nothing more than ordinary.
All his last-second magical touchdown passes in his career, all were in regular seasons.
He failed in the playoffs to produce at a high level, too many times.

He was outplayed by Culpepper, in Green Bay.
Out played by Vick of Atlanta, in Green Bay. Both of those guys were the underdogs.
When Brett was the underdog in St Louis, he was pathetically embarrassing.
Of course he also wilted big time in his last game with us, freezing up against the Giants with the Super Bowl at hand if he just played okay instead of atrocious.

He also didn't deliver on a signature drive moment like Brady did, losing to Denver. "He failed on that last drive, also threw a costly int in that game. Just one, but that one was the difference in a ring, and a loss. Rodgers threw no Ints vs the Steelers and that one is all it takes to make a difference in close Super Bowls like that.

Favre's playoff record looks a lot better if you throw out the Sherman years. Most Packer fans don't piece this together because Sherman was likeable and the team won enough to avoid scrutiny, but the guy managed to do all of jackshit with Favre and Green in their primes. That's a QB and a RB who may have been the best in this franchises storied history, or who were at least in the top-3 at their respective positions.

Looking at Favre during the non-Sherman years, he went to 5 NFC Championship games. You can't really ask for much more from a QB. It's very probable that Sherman just simply wasn't a very good head coach. Even Childress managed to ride Favre to a NFCCG.

Don Hutson basically invented his position, though. I'm not a huge Peter King fan, but he's said that Hutson is the Babe Ruth of football. I'll never object to him being ranked #1 in Packer history, and I think he's in the discussion for #1 in NFL history. I have heard people claim that Hutson had his best years during WWII (somewhat true) and that "most of the best players" were off fighting in the war, so he was going against watered down competition. That part seems to be primarily myth, stirred up by Jerry Rice fanboys who want to remove Hutson from the GOAT conversation.

Pack_Attack_4
06-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Packers cornerback Tramon Williams played through a painful shoulder problem last season, and it still hasn’t fully healed.

Williams told Paul Imig of FoxSportsWisconsin.com that he was still around “50 percent” strength according to tests performed earlier this month. The problem was initially described as a “bruise,” but that makes it the worst bruise ever, if it still hasn’t healed nine months later.

“It probably was worse during the season. It was bad,” Williams said. “I hadn’t done anything on it for a while, trying to heal it up a little bit. I started my rehab process, did that for a couple weeks, then we did the strength test to see where we were.

“They tested my strong arm, which is my left arm, and then the right arm, and my right arm was significantly weaker than my left arm. And this is my dominant arm, my right arm, so it was weak. Let’s just say that.

“It was terrible. If I hold my arm right here and told you to push it, I couldn’t do it, I couldn’t even hold it up, still.”

He said a test of nerve function showed him at 15 percent in the injured shoulder. The 29-year-old was once a very good bump-and-run corner, but being one-armed clearly impacts that, and he’s probably going to be limited in training camp.

He obviously wasn’t the same player last year as when he went to the Pro Bowl, but he still had four interceptions. As much of a concern as his condition is, fixing the Packers defense doesn’t center on him. Improving their pass rush would make things easier on Williams and everyone else in the secondary.

PackerLegend
06-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Tramon was a beast during the SB year... But last year we all saw he wasnt the same but either was Sam Shields along with basically the entire secondary. Being one armed doesnt help but the pass rush played a big role in making them all look bad.

We need him badly so hopefully things get alot better for him soon.

WCH
06-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Well crap. That explains a lot.

Hopefully Perry and company will be able to bring more of a pass rush.

J-Mike88
06-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Favre's playoff record looks a lot better if you throw out the Sherman years. Most Packer fans don't piece this together because .....
I'm not going to excuse Favre's f***ups in the playoff games because Sherman wasn't a very good coach.

The fact is it was the same coach who had the team as favorites over the Falcons and Vikings, at home, in the playoffs.... teams we should beat.

And the other QBs simply played better than Favre did in those playoff games. He did fine with Sherman in those regular seasons.

BloodBrother
06-28-2012, 10:00 AM
That Tramon story made me sad. You just never know how long it will take for the nerve to regenerate. The fact that it's still only at 50% some 9 months later is not a good sign

probably another reason they moved up to draft a CB. Shields better get his sh*t together this season. His piss poor attempt at tackling was embarrassing. Hopefully the rave reports on Davon House from the coaches isn't just the usual offseason fluff pieces. Tramon may very well never reach his 2010 level again

this also helps explain things some more about last season. A combination of zero pass rush along with a one armed Tramon(couldn't tackle) and Sam Shields(too scared to tackle) does not bode well for your defense

J-Mike88
07-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Nothing going on.... boring time.

Oh well, there's Federer-Djokovic coming up on Friday.
And I think Ferrer-Tsonga!

Pack_Attack_4
07-06-2012, 11:36 AM
A Rod was ranked #1 on NFL networks top 100 show. the list is made by player votiong soo itrs pritty cool that Rodgers has the respect of the whole league.

WCH
07-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Apparently, Favre was invited to Holmgren's PHOF induction, but indications are that he'll decline:

Bob Harlan hatched a solid plan to pull Brett Favre back into the fold of the Green Bay Packers, but the ol' gunslinger remains elusive.

Mike Holmgren is set to be inducted into the Packers Hall of Fame on July 21. Harlan, the retired team president, suggested the Hall extend an invite to the former quarterback. After all, Favre's messy split with the franchise had nothing to do with his former coach.

"We had a meeting about two months ago and talked about who should be invited back -- Jon Gruden, Andy Reid, people like that," Harlan told Green & Gold Today on Tuesday, via ESPNMilwaukee.com. "And we talked about players. And I said to the group, 'What about No. 4? This would be the perfect time for him to come back, come into Green Bay.'

There's more in the source article (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a4dfd8/article/brett-favre-invited-to-holmgrens-packers-induction)

I've said this before: I think it's a personal beef between Favre and Thompson. I don't know why, but there are plenty of rumors out there. Favre is going to come back to Green Bay when Thompson retires, and probably not a day sooner. It's unfortunate, because they've both been incredibly important parts of Packer history.

J-Mike88
07-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Top ten most important Packers for 2012? (http://packersinsider.com/2012/07/4305/)

How different is your list?

princefielder28
07-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Top ten most important Packers for 2012? (http://packersinsider.com/2012/07/4305/)

1. Rodgers
2. Matthews
3. Woodson
4. Jennings
5. Raji
6. Saturday
7. Burnett
8. Bishop
9. Newhouse
10. Williams

J-Mike88
07-11-2012, 03:22 PM

Yeah, Williams and Burnett are very important.

J-Mike88
07-13-2012, 05:22 PM
How much is Rodgers going to get?

Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints have reached an agreement on a five-year, $100 million contract that includes a first-year take in 2012 of $40 million, according to league, players' union and team sources.

For all practical purposes, the guaranteed money is considered by all parties involved to be an NFL-record $60 million, though there are contractual, but unlikely, outs for the Saints before he would receive all of that sum.

SuperPacker
07-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Rodgers is probably going to get more than that. But he deserves it, so it doesn't really matter.

I'll be annoyed if we do it like the Saints did and have pointless negotiations that will lead nowhere and will only have a negative effect. We should just pay him what he wants, within reason and move on.

J-Mike88
07-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Rodgers is probably going to get more than that. But he deserves it, so it doesn't really matter.

I'll be annoyed if we do it like the Saints did and have pointless negotiations that will lead nowhere and will only have a negative effect. We should just pay him what he wants, within reason and move on.

Agreed. Get it done earlier before the b@st@rd National Media turns it into a big story.

We need to lock up Matthews as well, gonna be another monster deal.
I'm very worried there won't be enough money for Jennings.

J-Mike88
07-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Problems with Rodgers? http://packersinsider.com/2012/07/aaron-rodgers-mr-irrelevant-in-fourth-quarter/

princefielder28
07-17-2012, 02:25 PM
the team has 'checked-in' on Cedric Benson recently

PackerLegend
07-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Problems with Rodgers? http://packersinsider.com/2012/07/aaron-rodgers-mr-irrelevant-in-fourth-quarter/

I dont agree. Rodgers is clutch and I dont care what those stats say. Very few of those 4th Q loses are his fault.

J-Mike88
07-17-2012, 11:05 PM
I dont agree. Rodgers is clutch and I dont care what those stats say. Very few of those 4th Q loses are his fault.
Which stats don't you agree with?

http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_5423_The_truth_about_the_front-running_Green_Bay_Packers.html

Sportsfan486
07-20-2012, 10:01 PM
It's a flukey "stat" with minimal bearing.

Winning percentage is a far more accurate way to gauge the exact same thing; how clutch the QB is. But wait, that has nothing to do with being clutch! Except that it does. Producing a TD on the first drive that gives your team momentum = just as much as a game-tying TD in the 4th.

Points per drive or winning percentage evaluation is a much more accurate and logical way to deduce the vague idea that those articles describe. Being "clutch" (as in evening up games or taking the lead in the 4th) is overrated. Winning is what matters. A close 4th quarter win might be more fun to watch but every coach on the planet would rather his QB stack up points for a big lead and cruise on home.

J-Mike88
07-24-2012, 07:07 PM
From Tommy Silverstein:

-With all their draft picks signed and no veteran holdouts pending, the #Packers are $11 million under the salary cap. That should give them room to do the Greg Jennings and Clay Matthews deals this year.

They'll be able to burn some of the charges in 2012, but they'll still have to amortize signing bonuses because those deals will not be for chump change.

There will be significant upfront money paid if they are able to reach agreements with both players.

Matthews is only slated to make a Walmart like $800K this year. He deserves much more.

mqtirishfan
07-24-2012, 09:13 PM

http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_5423_The_truth_about_the_front-running_Green_Bay_Packers.html

What stats are there? I see a misleadingly small sample size that consists solely of winning percentages.

PackerFan20
07-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Peprah released (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/25/packers-release-charlie-peprah/) - because of the surgery or because they like Jennings and McMillan better?

SuperPacker
07-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Probably the latter. It does leave us a bit think at safety, though.

J-Mike88
07-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Peprah was told at the end of last season he needed to get his knee "cleaned out", and he chose not to, to wait.

He wasn't ready as the physical showed, and the Packers moved the train down the line.

They don't think that his shoes will be hard to fill considering he was the anchor of that backside last year which allowed more yards passing than any other team in NFL history. Then he played terrible both tackling and covering in the Giant loss.

PackerLegend
07-25-2012, 10:09 PM
How our safety position was fallen. Once looking fairly bright with Nick C and Morgan B. Now looks pretty weak to terrible. Pep wasn't much but he was the most experienced. With him failing his physical it was guaranteed he was out. Even healthy I think he would have to really have stood out to save himself

SuperPacker
07-25-2012, 10:29 PM
If Woodson moves back there, we should see an improvement. That'll only happen if Casey Hayward is able to take over the nickel corner role, though.

J-Mike88
07-25-2012, 11:13 PM
If Woodson moves back there, we should see an improvement. That'll only happen if Casey Hayward is able to take over the nickel corner role, though.
I disagree... I expect Davon House is more ready and able to assume that position, before Casey.
Hopefully Casey is a fast learner though because we could surely use 4 good CB's if Woodson plays safety.

BloodBrother
07-26-2012, 12:02 PM

The guy who writes this crap is a big Ben nutswinger who is still pissed at Rodgers beating him in the SB. He's had an ax to grind since then and has posted quite a few of these crap "findings"

The 4th quarter comeback is such a sh*t stat. Seriously.

Your team is down by 3 points...you get the ball inside the opponents 5 yard line at the end of the 3rd quarter. 4th quarter starts and you throw a TD to go up immediately. Nobody scores any points after that. That goes as a "clutch 4th quarter comeback"

I hate it. It's overblown and has too many flaws in it. What makes something like scoring a go ahead TD at some point in the 4th quarter(and maintaining it) any more important than say throwing a TD with your team up 1 score to put them up 2 in the 4th(to put the game out of reach)

How about the Panthers game last year. Pack were up 6 late in the 4th, one score game and Rodgers throws a TD to JOrdy to put it out of reach. Isn't that just as important as throwing a TD to take a lead late in the game? Rodgers has done this quite frequently. I'd say that's just as "clutch" as a 4th quarter comeback.

I just find the whole thing stupid

BloodBrother
07-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Also Gurley checked into camp at 6'4 232 lbs of muscle. Excited about this guy this year. He and Finley will be excellent red zone targets

Also the 2-4-5 alignment has had Perry, Raji, Worthy, Matthews up front with the 1st team. That(potentially) is looking like a HUGE improvement over last season

SuperPacker
07-26-2012, 12:09 PM
If Perry and Worthy live up to their potential, that is drool worthy. However, there will be big question marks over Perry's transition to linebacker and if Worthy can sort out his "motor" problems. I really hope they both work out, though.

WCH
07-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Also Gurley checked into camp at 6'4 232 lbs of muscle. Excited about this guy this year. He and Finley will be excellent red zone targets

Also the 2-4-5 alignment has had Perry, Raji, Worthy, Matthews up front with the 1st team. That(potentially) is looking like a HUGE improvement over last season

I'm SO excited about that!

BloodBrother
07-26-2012, 12:15 PM
If Perry and Worthy live up to their potential, that is drool worthy. However, there will be big question marks over Perry's transition to linebacker and if Worthy can sort out his "motor" problems. I really hope they both work out, though.

Early reports on Worthy have been VERY encouraging. The guy just has another gear and is lightning quick off the snap. He won't be playing as many downs as he did in college, so I'm not too worried about his "motor"

WCH
07-26-2012, 12:20 PM
The bigger guys almost always have "motor" problems coming out of college. Sometimes they're legit, other times they aren't. I'm sure that TT and company did their homework, so I'm not worried about Worthy.

I expect that Perry is mostly going to pin his ears back and rush the passer this season.

SuperPacker
07-26-2012, 12:25 PM
And then in run situations we bring in Pickett and for obvious pass situations we bring in Mike Daniels! BJ Raji is going to be a lot better, because of the extra rest he'll be getting.

Pack_Attack_4
07-26-2012, 01:12 PM
The Packers’ Wednesday release of safety Charlie Peprah was a surprise. Peprah started 14 games at strong safety last season, and had five interceptions. He was due just $1 million in base salary.

But the move opened the door for Charles Woodson’s long-speculated position switch. Jason Wilde of ESPN Wisconsin reports that Woodson opened Packers training camp Thursday at strong safety in the base defense. In Green Bay’s oft-used nickel package, Woodson dropped down to cover the slot receiver and M.D. Jennings entered the lineup at safety.

Woodson isn’t moving to safety full time, per se, and will continue to play all over the Packers’ defensive formation. But it sure does sound like he’ll be playing safety more in 2012.

Jennings made the Packers as a longshot undrafted free agent out of Arkansas State last year. Primarily a special teamer as a rookie, Jennings is getting a chance to win a significant role in Green Bay’s sub-package defense.

TimmG6376
07-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Trying to temper my enthusiasm but I love that Perry has dropped 9 lbs to 264. I don't expect he'll have extensive coverage responsibilities this season but dropping weight can't hurt his quickness.

J-Mike88
07-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Someone (McCarren or VanderMouse I think) was very impressed by Mike Daniels already today. It was McCarren actually.

I love that guy as well, and to think we added him and Worthy in the draft, plus (might) get back Mike Neal (for as long as he lasts), and we added former 1st rounder Philip Merling (still youngish), and Anthony Hargrove. The DL is so much better and deeper.
Muir would have helped last year too.....

I'm very excited.
Can't wait til January.

Sportsfan486
07-28-2012, 01:44 PM
So my early impressions are..

Pluses

1. Worthy. The reviews so far are fantastic; he's been showing a lot of energy and excitement to go along with the level of talent we all know about. Ultimately with these big guys I feel like it comes down to how much effort they're willing to put in. Love hearing that he's been giving it his all and shown a lot of passion for being out there. I had this guy as a top-15 draft prospect since I first watched his tape and I was incredibly thrilled when we picked him. He is the guy that could make us forget Cullen Jenkins; he won't give the same 3-4 presence but in our 2-4-5 formation his potential is unreal.

2. Heyward and House. These two have both been getting positive reviews so far and McCarthy has shown a willingness to let the defensive backs fight for their jobs and playing time, so I expect one of these two to grab a lot of playing time; potentially even a starting role when we play Woodson at safety. I like Heyward better as I think he's a more savvy and technical player but House has fantastic physical abilities and seems to be getting more experienced and refined.

3. Perry and Mozes. Another position of need that we addressed and is getting (very early/premature) positive reviews. Mozes is an energy guy with probably more physical tools then Walden or Zombo, so I'd be unsurprised if he snatched up the main backup job at OLB. Perry has received solid reviews but nothing earth shattering so far, still it's better than hearing about struggles.

Minuses

1. Charlie. Peprah being released was a bit of a shocker but realistically isn't that big of a deal. He was atrocious a lot last year and solid sometimes. He wasn't a starting caliber safety but seemed backup worthy; my assumption would be that his injury concerns were enough that we'd rather train up our young guys.

2. Sam who? Shields was a bit of a darling during our Super Bowl run and suddenly seems like a possible roster cut. He hasn't progressed since his first year, which is a bit maddening considering his physical tools. At this point he appears to be snowballing his way down the depth chart and if our two other young corners stay healthy and continue to progress, he's almost certainly a goner.

3. Dropsies. Really guys? We're already back to that? Wide receivers should catch the ball. Start giving them super glue. CATCH THE BALL!

cvv84
07-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Someone (McCarren or VanderMouse I think) was very impressed by Mike Daniels already today. It was McCarren actually.

I love that guy as well, and to think we added him and Worthy in the draft, plus (might) get back Mike Neal (for as long as he lasts), and we added former 1st rounder Philip Merling (still youngish), and Anthony Hargrove. The DL is so much better and deeper.
Muir would have helped last year too.....

I'm very excited.
Can't wait til January.

I really like Daniels. He may not be starter material in the 3-4 but I think he'll be a very good pass rusher in certain packages for us.

Lawrence Guy is back is as well. He's another one I'm high on. D-line depth looks much better this year!

J-Mike88
07-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Lawrence Guy is back is as well. He's another one I'm high on. D-line depth looks much better this year!
Who makes the team on the DL? We look so much deeper.
Of course we have 2 guys who will be on the suspended list at first in the healthy Mike Neal and the high energy Anthony Hargrove.
The other additions were former 1st round pick Philip Merling, and former Packer Daniel Muir.

Sportsfan486
07-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Of course we have 2 guys who will be on the suspended list at first in the healthy Mike Neal and the high energy Anthony Hargrove.
The other additions were former 1st round pick Philip Merling, and former Packer Daniel Muir.

I'm excited about our Dline group. Super excited. I have a huge mancrush on Worthy and really like Daniels as well. Two very nice pass rushers for the nickel.

That's not even mentioning Hargrove who is a proven pass-rusher or the anticipated increase in level of play from Raji with less time on the field.

Mike Daniels, B.J. Raji, Jerel Worthy, Ryan Pickett, C.J Wilson, Lawrence Guy, Anthony Hargrove would be my picks to make the roster. Of those, Guy and maybe Wilson are the only ones who I'd say aren't an absolute lock.

I'm not necessarily nervous about Perry yet but I do wish the initial reviews were a touch more enthusiastic about him.

Ditto for the safety position. I still have high hopes/expectations for Burnett but no one really sounds like they're standing out opposite him so far. Jennings reviews always sound a bit like Peprah to me, ie.. solid but not great or special.

I'm also nervous to death when I see Bush getting any time in a starter package. He's gone from being dreadful all the time to occasionally being solid and just dreadful 50% of the time.. but.. that's not exactly someone you want to see on the field much. I know Shields gambles too much and isn't really technically sound, but he's just so far superior in man coverage to Bush that it's ridiculous.

I like seeing D.J. Smith getting some opportunity, even if it's at the expense of our best ILB. A.J. Hawk better watch out.

BloodBrother
07-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Hayward continues to get rave reviews for how he's looking in camp. Bob McGinn said that right now he absolutely should be starting...and camp JUST started.

So excited about this draft class.

PackerLegend
07-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Erik Walden suspended 1 game for his incident last year.

cvv84
07-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Hayward continues to get rave reviews for how he's looking in camp. Bob McGinn said that right now he absolutely should be starting...and camp JUST started.

So excited about this draft class.

I'm excited about it too. Also worth noting is how last years class is really developing too. D.J. Williams, Randall Cobb, and Davon House have really stood out. Alex Green is making some noise as is D.J. Smith. Lawrence Guy is kind of a wild card too.

cvv84
07-31-2012, 07:33 PM

I'd have to say,

Locks: B.J. Raji, Ryan Pickett, Jerel Worthy

Good Bets: C.J. Wilson, Jarius Wynn

Slight Chance: Lawrence Guy, Phillip Merling

Long Shot: Daniel Muir

Those are without Neal and Hargrove to start the season due to their suspensions. I really like Guy and I was glad we kept him around last year to develop. He seems like a hard worker (he stayed in GB and went to all the team meeting even though he was on IR) and they even put him on the special teams 1st unit today.

J-Mike88
07-31-2012, 08:04 PM
I'd have to say,

Locks: B.J. Raji, Ryan Pickett, Jerel Worthy

Good Bets: C.J. Wilson, Jarius Wynn

Slight Chance: Lawrence Guy, Phillip Merling

Long Shot: Daniel Muir

Those are without Neal and Hargrove to start the season due to their suspensions. I really like Guy and I was glad we kept him around last year to develop. He seems like a hard worker (he stayed in GB and went to all the team meeting even though he was on IR) and they even put him on the special teams 1st unit today.
Where's Mike Daniels? IR?

SuperPacker
07-31-2012, 08:16 PM
I'd hope we went with Raji, Worthy, Pickett, Wilson, Daniels, Guy. Those 6 guys give us enough versatility to set up in a lot of formations up front.

TimmG6376
08-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Pass rush cominates Wednesday practice (http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Pass-rush-dominates-Wednesday-practice/c321fe78-083d-40e7-8364-61a5510fe9d8)

Not unusual for Def to be ahead of the Off at this stage but man this is encouraging.

PackerLegend
08-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Even though its just a scrimmage I cant wait for Friday! Then the HOF game and next Thurs our 1st preseason game.... I'll take anything at this point, tired of waiting!

bigboiajhawk
08-01-2012, 06:49 PM
So I attended the first padded practice and have been following diligently the various websites containing training camp information and I am going to come up with my very early 53 man roster.

QB: A-Rod, Harrell (2)
RB: Starks, Saine, and Green (3)
FB: Kuhn (1)
WR: Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Driver, Gurley (6)
TE: Finley, Crabtree, Williams, Taylor (4)
OT: Bulaga, Newhouse, Sherrod, Datko (4)
OG: Lang, Sitton, Dominguez (3)
C: Saturday, Dietrich-Smith (2)

Offense: 25

DE: Pickett, Wilson, Worthy, Daniels, Guy (5)
NT: Raji, Muir (2)
OLB: Matthews, Perry, Walden, Moses, Jones (5)
ILB: Bishop, Hawk, Smith, Manning (4)
CB: Williams, Woodson, Bush, House, Hayward, Shields (6)
FS: Burnett (1)
SS: Jennings, McMillian (2)

Defense: 25

K: Crosby (1)
P: Masthay (1)
LS: Goode (1)

Special Teams: 3

One potential Surprise Cut:

I feel like we should keep more defensive guys this year. Thus, a guy like Tom Crabtree could be a potential cut guy as Williams and Taylor are really developing, and we will have Quarless on IR. It makes even more sense if we keep an extra LB instead of Crabtree, as we won't be losing the body type on Special Teams. Just a thought that I am having.

SuperPacker
08-01-2012, 07:14 PM
That would be alright. I'd go something like this (Pretty sure it won't end up like this):

QB - Rodgers, Harrell, Coleman (3)
RB - Starks, Green, Saine (3)
FB - Kuhn (1)
WR - Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Gurley, Borel (5)
TE - Finley, Williams, Taylor, Crabtree (4)
OT - Bulaga, Newhouse, Sherrod, Datko (4)
OG - Sitton, Lang, Dominguez (3)
C - Saturday, Dietrich-Smith (2)

DL - Raji, Worthy, Pickett, Daniels, Wilson, Guy (6)
OLB - Matthews, Perry, Jones, Moses, So'oto (5)
ILB - Bishop, Smith, Manning, Hawk (4)
CB - Williams, Woodson, House, Hayward, Shields, Bush (6)
FS - Jennings, Levine (2)
SS - Burnett, McMillian (2)

K - Crosby (1)
P - Masthay (1)
LS - Goode (1)

J-Mike88
08-02-2012, 11:43 PM
That would be alright. I'd go something like this (Pretty sure it won't end up like this):

QB - Rodgers, Harrell, Coleman (3)
RB - Starks, Green, Saine (3)
FB - Kuhn (1)
WR - Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Gurley, Borel (5)
TE - Finley, Williams, Taylor, Crabtree (4)
OT - Bulaga, Newhouse, Sherrod, Datko (4)
OG - Sitton, Lang, Dominguez (3)
C - Saturday, Dietrich-Smith (2)

DL - Raji, Worthy, Pickett, Daniels, Wilson, Guy (6)
OLB - Matthews, Perry, Jones, Moses, So'oto (5)
ILB - Bishop, Smith, Manning, Hawk (4)
CB - Williams, Woodson, House, Hayward, Shields, Bush (6)
FS - Jennings, Levine (2)
SS - Burnett, McMillian (2)

K - Crosby (1)
P - Masthay (1)
LS - Goode (1)
No way can you get rid of both Donald Driver and James Jones.

SuperPacker
08-03-2012, 05:27 AM
No way can you get rid of both Donald Driver and James Jones.

Why not? (10)

Sportsfan486
08-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Why not? (10)

Because you'd be taking two proven commodities in one of the NFLs all time best offenses and replacing them with two players that occasionally look decent in practice.... aka a perfect recipe for offensive regression. Driver and Jones are as much a lock to make the team as anyone else.

Jones is easily the best #4/#5 WR in the league and it's not really even close. Driver was an early candidate to not make it but he's been destroying corners in camp from all accounts and, again, if Jones isn't the best #4/#5 WR in the league then Driver is.

I think Gurley will make the roster but it will be as a #6 WR if he does.

There is no legit reason for the Packers to worry that much about keeping developmental WRs. Nelson and Cobb are both quite young and our future at the position. Jennings still has, what, 4 years before we need to really start worrying about a dropoff? It's much more logical to keep the very good Driver and Jones then worry about growing pains in a position we don't need to grow right now.

WCH
08-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Jones is apparently having a great camp, too.

At this point, I don't care about the potential of Gurley, Borel, or Moss. I like all three of those guys, but keep the best players and win another Super Bowl.

PackerLegend
08-03-2012, 12:29 PM
I agree 100% no reason to dump Jones and Driver for two unproven WRs. Jones and Driver are already pretty good themselves and have decent contracts. So the only plus is age. And only Drivers old

bigboiajhawk
08-03-2012, 02:25 PM
http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2012/08/03/whos-really-doing-well-in-the-1-on-1-drill/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Very Interesting Article on the OL vs. DL/OLBS 1-on-1's

PackerLegend
08-03-2012, 04:45 PM
only 2 hours away..... woo

Tim Masthay signed a 4 year contract extension...

princefielder28
08-03-2012, 07:34 PM
WLUK really milks this whole scrimmage telecast...kinda ridiculous

SuperPacker
08-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Meh, Driver has one more year in him. I don't think it's worth missing out on a potentially very good receiver for one year of production from a guy who will be the 5th receiver and will be gone next year. I'm fine with Jones staying, but only if we keep Borel and Gurley as well.

WCH
08-03-2012, 08:09 PM
I think Driver implied that he has a deal with the team, and they'll sit down during the offseason and they'll mutually decide when it's time for him to retire. I don't see him being released. He'll retire as a Packer in February.

If Gurley or Borel earn a spot on the team, then they can carry fewer RBs or TEs, or something. Trading Jones is also an outside possibility, but I suspect that he's more valuable to the Packers than he would be to anybody else.

I feel SP's pain on this issue, because I love Borel's potential and Gurley is apparently an incredible kick-blocker on STs. Fitting either of those guys on the roster could be a challenge, but I'd like to see them both make it. This is another First World Packer Fan Problem.

PackerLegend
08-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Yea it sucks potentially losing out on a good player... but its a good problem to have being so deep. Driver makes the most sense to dump but its Driver and hes still got it so its such a tough basically impossible move to make.

princefielder28
08-03-2012, 08:45 PM
I know it's just a scrimmage but Graham Harrell sucks...one of the top 3 when it comes to worst #2 QBs in the league

PackerLegend
08-03-2012, 08:52 PM
I'll wait and give him a few preseason games...

Did Nick Collins decide to retire? Haven't heard anything for awhile.

PackerLegend
08-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Whelp another year of having no confidence in Crosby. Pretty sure hes missed more then made.

cvv84
08-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Whelp another year of having no confidence in Crosby. Pretty sure hes missed more then made.

Chill out. The stadium structure is completely different now with the construction of new seating. Crosby hadn't missed a FG in camp until tonight either.

I was pretty unimpressed with the scrimmage. Nobody really stood out and the penalties are concerning.

Marshall Newhouse also got injured so hopefully thats nothing serious.

J-Mike88
08-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Driver & Jones are 40% of our dymamic-5 WRs.... they both would never be let go.

Jones is still young too.

I didn't get to see or read anything from tonight's event other than this here so far.... I just hope Newhouse (and everyone else) is not hurt badly.

We need Marshall, since he let Tamba Hali snap Sherrod's leg last December.

How did House & Hayward look?

OK, this is what Larry McCarren said, among other things:
4. The most active defensive player may have been Jamari Lattimore. Made a number of plays from his inside linebacker position, which is new for him. He was an OLB last season.

5. Nick Perry was more of a factor than we've seen at regular practices. Since it was never 1's vs. 1's he didn't have to go against Bryan Bulaga, who's been outstanding.

6. Jerel Worthy made perhaps his most impressive play of camp. He beat Evan Dietrich-Smith's block back and dumped the ball carrier for a loss.

7. In the battle for playing time at the right cornerback position, Sam Shields didn't help himself when Jordy Nelson beat him for a catch and then ran through his tackle attempt on the first series of the scrimmage.

8. This team doesn't have a lot of areas of genuine concern but one possibility is offensive line depth. Andrew Datko, a 7th round pick, has really struggled.

cvv84
08-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Driver & Jones are 40% of our dymamic-5 WRs.... they both would never be let go.

Jones is still young too.

I didn't get to see or read anything from tonight's event other than this here so far.... I just hope Newhouse (and everyone else) is not hurt badly.

We need Marshall, since he let Tamba Hali snap Sherrod's leg last December.

How did House & Hayward look?

OK, this is what Larry McCarren said, among other things:
4. The most active defensive player may have been Jamari Lattimore. Made a number of plays from his inside linebacker position, which is new for him. He was an OLB last season.

5. Nick Perry was more of a factor than we've seen at regular practices. Since it was never 1's vs. 1's he didn't have to go against Bryan Bulaga, who's been outstanding.

6. Jerel Worthy made perhaps his most impressive play of camp. He beat Evan Dietrich-Smith's block back and dumped the ball carrier for a loss.

7. In the battle for playing time at the right cornerback position, Sam Shields didn't help himself when Jordy Nelson beat him for a catch and then ran through his tackle attempt on the first series of the scrimmage.

8. This team doesn't have a lot of areas of genuine concern but one possibility is offensive line depth. Andrew Datko, a 7th round pick, has really struggled.

House was in on a few plays. Didn't notice Hayward but it wasn't a really good scrimmage in terms on identifying standouts.

Lattimore does look bigger and stronger from last year. I love our depth at ILB.

Worthy came pretty much unblocked on that play. He's got energy and plays hard. I hope he can control his emotions and not let that get to him. He's looking like a keeper though.

Perry looked alright. He got a few pressures and showed a good motor. I think the transition is still taking some time for him to get used too. Once it clicks though he has huge potential.

Datko hasn't played much the past year so I'm not expecting much out of him.

Sportsfan486
08-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Some of my random thoughts from family night..

A.J. Hawk looks just as terrible as last year while D.J. Smith looks like a starter with star potential and Lattimore even looks better than Hawk. I can't imagine Hawk will hold onto the starting job for long. I wouldn't be shocked if he finds himself cut at some point. Eventually the fact that all he has going for him is that he's a veteran with terrible/slow insticts and nominal athleticism will catch on to the coaches. Smith, Lattimore, Manning.. there are potential stars in waiting in that group, Hawk has plateau'd and is heading back down the mountain.. let's move on.

Worthy is an energy guy that will make some plays. Sure, he was unblocked on his TFL but he also got an amazing jump and gave no one a chance to get a block on him. He's going to be great in the Nickel. Also, Anthony Hargrove is going to be a fantastic addition later in the season. He simply owned EDS (or was it Datko?) and Saine on one play that would have been a fantastic sack.

Perry showed me some good things. He can get around the edge fast and has some moves. I noticed him dropping into coverage a few times and he looked surprisingly decent at it.

McMillian might just win that starting spot. I liked what I saw from him and his upside is higher than Jennings.

Is our 2nd string OLine THAT bad or is our DLine that much improved?

Our pass rush is going to be improved and our linebacker core could develop into one of the leagues best. I'm more concerned about our secondary at this point.

PackerLegend
08-05-2012, 09:43 AM
I agree with everything that you have said... and if we have to go another year of Hawk starting I will be so depressed. There is no way that should happen. Perry - Smith - Bishop - Matthews right now looks to be a huge improvement from what we have had. I am also very excited about our DLine and what Worthy can bring.

Also it was kind of weird seeing Davon House out there... He has got the number 31 and the hair. Guy looks like a young Al Harris, lets hope he turns out as good or better.

J-Mike88
08-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Meanwhile: Pro Football Weekly‏@ProFootballWkly

RT @VikingsFootball: Update: #Vikings rookie WR Greg Childs suffered a torn patellar tendon on his right and left knees last night. (1/2)

Sportsfan486
08-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Worthy with a beastly practice.

I love Worthy. I have for so long. I love seeing all the positive reports so far; he is apparently a huge energy guy and has been steadily increasing his production in practice. I think it's starting to click for him.

My favorite report is the one where he was clapping and encouraging some guys when they started to brawl. Some chippiness is a great thing for a defense.

I'm still a little concerned about Perry but he's been getting a ton of 1 on 1 time and I like how he attacks the edge. So we'll see about him.

princefielder28
08-09-2012, 01:39 PM
The team has signed OL Reggie Wells. We don't have much depth to speak of so I imagine he's got a shot to make the team.

BloodBrother
08-10-2012, 03:27 AM
As expected, the news on BIshop didn't sound encouraging

McCarthy dropped the dreaded "Knee sprain". Said it didn't look good and in addition to the knee injury he may have suffered some hamstring damage. In talking with the team doctor, he was told that it's "up in the air" whether or not it's season ending. We'll find out tomorrow. Best case scenario is that he'll likely miss some games and worst case is he's done for the season. This is a huge blow to the D. Just means more AJ Hawk on the field, which is not what this team wants.

Davon House also will be tested tomorrow. He felt a sharp pain in his shoulder and may have suffered a separated shoulder. That's another injury that could knock him out weeks.

BamaFalcon59
08-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Think Jarrett Boykin can stick a spot on the practice squad?

ImBrotherCain
08-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Think Jarrett Boykin can stick a spot on the practice squad?

As a Tech fan and a Packer fan I hope so.

BloodBrother
08-10-2012, 04:06 PM
so it wasnt a knee injury for BIshop, but a hamstring injury. Sounds like he tore it and the Packers fear he'll miss a significant portion/perhaps all of the season

wonderful. 1 preseason game in and they already lose one of their best defensive players for the season. More snaps for AJ Hawk now. Woo hoo!

SuperPacker
08-10-2012, 04:07 PM
That is ******* ********! Why couldn't it have been AJ Hawk?!

BloodBrother
08-10-2012, 04:08 PM
For reference, Clifton had only a partial hamstring tear last season and missed 10 weeks. Sounds like Bishop's hamstring injury is worse than that

haven't seen an update on House's shoulder injury, yet.

princefielder28
08-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Cedric Benson is a Packer

SuperPacker
08-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm not shocked. They probably saw how average Starks looked and wanted to add another average back to give him some competition. One of Starks, Saine and Green will have to be dropped, though.

BloodBrother
08-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Seems more like a move to just bring in a sure/solid option at the position. Starks continues to mightily struggle with blitz pickups, Green is returning from a torn ACL so they probably want to take it easy with his workload, and Saine is simply too green/unproven to rely heavily upon this season. With Benson in the fold, they have a sure fallback option as a starter if Starks continues to underwhelm. Simply won't see the field if you can't pick up the blitz and block. Can't have Rodgers taking hard hits because of the RB failing to pick up the blitz and getting a body on his guy

Sportsfan486
08-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Good pickup by the packers.

Everything Starks does, Benson does better. He's not going to add much to the passing game but neither will Starks. He'll lose a couple fumbles, so will Starks. He will do a better job pass protecting and overall is a more consistent and reliable runner than Starks.

I'd expect Starks to get dropped at this point. He's always been lazy and likely won't react well to effectively being replaced or at least pushed very hard. And really, what would be the point of keeping him around? He'll be a nuisance who brings very little to the table. Frankly, dropping him and signing Grant would be a superior option if we want to cut Saine that badly (which I doubt.)

Green will be the 3rd down back and see lots of reps, which is fantastic considering he's (hopefully) our future at the position.

Saine will likely spell both of them.

Good move.

House early news sounds decent. He looks to have huge potential, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

Bishops is probably gone. I disagree that it's a significant downgrade to D.J. Williams, however, as I think he has a lot of potential. What IS a significant downgrade is that this move really promotes Hawk, who was likely going to get a backup role, into the starting lineup again. Now THAT is a huge downgrade.

Pack_Attack_4
08-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Pro football talk reports House will be out 2-3 weeks while he trys to rehab his shoulder after that he wail be re evaluated too see if he needs surgery or if he can continue to play with a sling on his shoulder.

princefielder28
08-12-2012, 02:42 PM
I talked to Bob McGinn today and got a few thoughts from him about the team

-He said the loss of Bishop is such a hard hit because outside of being an impactful player on the field, he had really emerged as a leader and someone who was willing to make his voice heard

-rookie Terrell Manning looks slow out there and has been unimpressive in camp...Capers feels his role inside in the 3-4 is similar to the role he played at WLB for NC State so that's concerning even for a rookie

-Mike Daniels is just returning from injury but he has shown a great burst and quickness for a stout, down lineman...he went as far to say that Daniels could very well end up being better than Worthy (Worthy shows promise but he's not shown to be a discipline player)

ChezPower4
08-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Pro football talk reports House will be out 2-3 weeks while he trys to rehab his shoulder after that he wail be re evaluated too see if he needs surgery or if he can continue to play with a sling on his shoulder.

If House has to miss significant time, it will be another big loss for our defense.

Sportsfan486
08-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Man, already with the injuries.. then again, the last time we thought a season was doomed by injuries we won a Super Bowl.

Bishop hurts and the House injury might hurt just as much. Remember, Tramon struggled while playing with a shoulder injury last year.

It's also important to remember, however, that while Bishop was a very good defensive leader and a hard hitter he wasn't exactly a top-tier MLB. He struggled last year and didn't rate out very well in most advanced metrics. The biggest hit from his injury is Hawk keeping his job. THAT hurts quite a bit.

I'm nervous about our safety situation as well. No one has stood out to me. McMillian is probably the best of the pack right now and he's bound to get burned in coverage while he picks up the NFL game.

I still feel like a healthy Tramon, Woodson, Heywards, Bush is a very good CB group and if House is able to recover quickly from this injury, it's an extremely promising group.

tjsunstein
08-12-2012, 04:13 PM
-Mike Daniels is just returning from injury but he has shown a great burst and quickness for a stout, down lineman...he went as far to say that Daniels could very well end up being better than Worthy (Worthy shows promise but he's not shown to be a discipline player)
I've said that this was my favorite pick in the draft considering value and position. Really excited that he's impressing in camp. We really need depth at DL.

princefielder28
08-12-2012, 04:30 PM
James Starks might be out for a couple weeks with a turf toe injury

Greg Jennings is still feeling effects from his concussion

Benson signing is official

Pack_Attack_4
08-12-2012, 04:35 PM
I really like the Benson pick up. He gives us a ligitimate threat at the rb position. He's rushed over 1000 yards the last 3 years soo let's hope he can keep that up.

tjsunstein
08-12-2012, 09:29 PM
I really like the Benson pick up. He gives us a ligitimate threat at the rb position. He's rushed over 1000 yards the last 3 years soo let's hope he can keep that up.

He wont get enough carries in this offense.

bigboiajhawk
08-12-2012, 11:21 PM
The Benson signing is terrific. From the sounds of it, he took a minimum salary, got no bonus, and isn't guaranteed any money. I hope he is hungry, because he does have skill to make some impact on the Packers roster.

I wanted to also mention one of the things PrinceFielder said about Terrell Manning. He is SOOOOO Slow......watching he and Dezman Moses doing Special Teams drills, it was a battle for who could be slower. Atleast with Moses, he is strong and can move people. Manning has been very unimpressive.

TimmG6376
08-13-2012, 08:57 AM
The Benson signing is terrific. From the sounds of it, he took a minimum salary, got no bonus, and isn't guaranteed any money. I hope he is hungry, because he does have skill to make some impact on the Packers roster.

I wanted to also mention one of the things PrinceFielder said about Terrell Manning. He is SOOOOO Slow......watching he and Dezman Moses doing Special Teams drills, it was a battle for who could be slower. Atleast with Moses, he is strong and can move people. Manning has been very unimpressive.

This is disappointing news on Manning. Granted...I only saw him play once, but what I saw in that game gave me some hope that he could be a contributor.

PackerLegend
08-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Apparently McCarthy said this is the most banged up hes seen this team in TC before. WTF how can this happen every year it seems. We rack up a billion injuries. I hate bringing that up because its like beating a dead horse but we have very fragile players it seems. Collins hit never looked like much and his career is over. Neal hurts himself on a dummy and other guys have just ran and blown knees out.. The water up there must be no good.

Sportsfan486
08-13-2012, 12:31 PM
It's been a somber couple of pages here in the Packers forums so let's have a look at the bright side; aka, ten things I am looking forward to this year (in no particular order.)

1. Aaron Rodgers continuing to forge his legacy. I think Rodgers goes into this year with a better group of offensive players than last, which is definitely saying something. A couple players I really expect to raise their level of play this year and really contribute are Randall Cobb and Alex Green. I genuinely believe Cobb will near the 1,000 yard mark this year and Green will give us the backfield catching threat we lost when Jackson left.

2. Defensive rookies! This is one of the most exciting crops of rookies I've ever seen us have, right up there with the Clay and Raji draft of a few years ago. Heyward, Perry and Worthy are all slotted as starters (more or less) for the moment and Daniels will likely play a role as well, with McMillian also having a shot at a starting job.

3. Clay Matthews. I feel like he's going to have more opportunity to showcase his playmaking this year with a much improved front seven and will make a push for DPotY.

4. Offensive scheme. This kind of goes back to #1 but I think we'll have a very exciting offensive scheme this year. I think we're toying with creative ways to use Cobb and Green out of the backfield and I desperately want us to line up with Cobb, Green and Kuhn behind Rodgers. How confusing would that be to defenses?

5. Success. Last year we went 15-1 with a maligned defense. There's really little chance we have such a poor defense again as we've incredibly filled out the depth and competition at several spots. Safety and MLB are the most glaring holes right now but I expect Woodson to see lots of time at safety and if A.J. Hawk is the worst starter on our team I'm not terribly concerned.

6. The D-Line. I LOVE this group. It's deep and competitive with high energy players. Raji should get plenty of rest and round back into pro bowl form because of it. Our rookies are high energy impact players. Hargrove is really underrated and will be a fantastic guy to bring on fresh halfway through the year when people start hurting. A weakspot last year will turn into a strength.

7. Revenge. Also ties back to #1 but Rodgers doesn't let things go. It's going to be fun watching him shred the NFL this year and I feel like come playoffs there might be a magical run waiting.

8. Being underrated. For whatever reason (ie.. playoff loss) people are going to underrate the Packers this year. I fully expect the Patriots, Eagles, Giants and Saints to get most of the talk this year for varying reasons. Last year we had a ton of hype and it got annoying, should be a quieter media year for us.

9. Battle-tested. It's a rather tough first 6 games for us, I think. 49ers, Saints, Texans, Bears are all very likely playoff teams this year. The Seahawks are likely a fringe team as well. And hey, we've had letdowns against rookie QBs before. We'll have a very good feel for the team after these six games.

10. Where are the QBs?! By my count we only have 4 games against elite QBs. (Saints, Giants, Lions twice.) Six if you count Cutler (which I definitely do not.) That's a fantastic setup for a great record.

BloodBrother
08-13-2012, 05:43 PM
most of the injuries are just the usual bumps and bruises that they get during the season. It's training camp right now though so no need to play through it

the only injuries that are of concern are obviously Bishop, who is probably done for the year so that's that. House will be re-evaluated in 2-3 weeks and hopefully won't need surgery at that point

everything else is sprained ankles, sore muscles, etc. I'm not too concerned about the Jennings and Finley concussions yet. They are still out but there is plenty of time before the season starts

PackerLegend
08-14-2012, 05:27 AM
TJ Lang has been resigned according to profootballtalk. No word on details yet besides its a 4 yr extension.

Pack_Attack_4
08-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Things I'm looking forward see in tns game.

1. The starting offence get sum points on the board. Marshall newhouse is back solo hopefully A rod has better protection they he did In the first game.

2. How the defence looks without Bishop. Especially Smith who's taking Bishops spot, I thought he played pretty good last year when he came in.

3. Who's gonna step up in the secondary with house hurt too.

4. All r running backs r hurt too so I'm excited to see green play.

5. And finally how Harrell plays can we really count on this guy to be our back up.

ChezPower4
08-16-2012, 04:05 PM

Benson is not going to get 1,000 yards in this offense, However, Benson does have some gas left in the tank and should give our run offense some power.

ImBrotherCain
08-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Things I'm looking forward see in tns game.

1. The starting offence get sum points on the board. Marshall newhouse is back solo hopefully A rod has better protection they he did In the first game.

2. How the defence looks without Bishop. Especially Smith who's taking Bishops spot, I thought he played pretty good last year when he came in.

3. Who's gonna step up in the secondary with house hurt too.

4. All r running backs r hurt too so I'm excited to see green play.

5. And finally how Harrell plays can we really count on this guy to be our back up.

I think I might have a brain aneurism after trying to read this post.

SuperPacker
08-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Wait, we lost 35-10 to the Browns?

And i'm reading about more injuries? What's up with Jennings?

TimmG6376
08-17-2012, 05:33 PM

I think they are just being uber-cautious while bringing him back from concussion symptoms.

PackerLegend
08-17-2012, 06:42 PM

Shh don't worry... 1st string did alright... the rest basically sucked though. I didn't see anymore new injuries. Jennings is fine no need to rush him back in preseason.

J-Mike88
08-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Shh don't worry... 1st string did alright... the rest basically sucked though. I didn't see anymore new injuries. Jennings is fine no need to rush him back in preseason.
So we won. That's the most important part by far. Ask Desmond Bishop dammit.
Heck, we lost to the Browns last year too, still went 15-1. Preseason results mean very, very little.

PackerLegend
08-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Jennings, Finely, Kuhn, Shields all back at practice... only 13 players didn't practice. Healthiest Packers have been all TC. Bout time we tried something different

princefielder28
08-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Anthony Hargrove released today...never thought he was gonna be much of a factor for the roster from day one

Sportsfan486
08-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Anthony Hargrove released today...never thought he was gonna be much of a factor for the roster from day one

I really liked him and thought he showed some good passrush in the little time he got during the preseason.. but.. we have a lot of promising Dlineman who aren't going to serve 8 game suspensions.

That said, I still don't completely understand cutting him when he would have been roster exempt for the first 8 games and we could have just cut him then if we didn't need him. Is there a reason for this I'm missing? I guess we don't have to pay his salary now.. but wasn't it vet minimum anyway?

princefielder28
08-25-2012, 01:10 PM
I really liked him and thought he showed some good passrush in the little time he got during the preseason.. but.. we have a lot of promising Dlineman who aren't going to serve 8 game suspensions.

That said, I still don't completely understand cutting him when he would have been roster exempt for the first 8 games and we could have just cut him then if we didn't need him. Is there a reason for this I'm missing? I guess we don't have to pay his salary now.. but wasn't it vet minimum anyway?

Hargrove wasn't getting any meaningful time during the preseason games and from what I've read about him during camp, he simply didn't give the team reasons to keep him around.

Hargrove also began to become a bit of a problem once his reps started to dwindle.

SuperPacker
08-25-2012, 01:15 PM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53634

Fantasy football, anyone?

princefielder28
08-25-2012, 01:16 PM
along with Hargrove

•WR Andrew Brewer
•OT Herb Taylor
•S Michah Pellerin
•CB Dion Turner

were also cut

BloodBrother
08-27-2012, 09:48 AM
House doesn't need surgery on his shoulder, but the news still doesn't sound good

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/167488405.html

He'll need to wear a harness all season and he basically admits he has to completely change his game. Sounds a lot like Tramon from last season(but minus the nerve damage). We saw how ineffective Tramon was last year when he was coping with the injury

This is quite a blow to the secondary considering House was really lookin good. It's also not a good sign that they STILL don't have the starters in the secondary set after 3 weeks of the preseason.

Hopefully the pass rush is improved this season. They'll need it

princefielder28
08-27-2012, 10:00 AM
I worry about House and how the injury will impact how effective he can be for the defense. I assume he'll compete for dime duties, and I don't see him competing for a starting spot with being restricted physically.

I expect Casey Hayward to be the starting corner opposite of Tramon Williams in week one given how the Niners offense operates and Hayward's ability to support the run compared to Sam Shields.

princefielder28
08-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Jarius Wynn has been cut.

BloodBrother
08-27-2012, 10:38 AM
No surprise there. Not really ideal for the 3-4 anyway and his main strength(pass rush) was non-existent last year. He's a liability vs the run as well. No upside here and not worth rostering with the guys they have added

They'll need to make 9 more cuts....or better yet, a few more cuts while placing others on PUP/IR, etc etc

Sportsfan486
08-27-2012, 04:35 PM
House doesn't need surgery on his shoulder, but the news still doesn't sound good

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/167488405.html

He'll need to wear a harness all season and he basically admits he has to completely change his game. Sounds a lot like Tramon from last season(but minus the nerve damage). We saw how ineffective Tramon was last year when he was coping with the injury

This is quite a blow to the secondary considering House was really lookin good. It's also not a good sign that they STILL don't have the starters in the secondary set after 3 weeks of the preseason.

Hopefully the pass rush is improved this season. They'll need it

Bummer about House, he looked awfully good out there and realistically he's got no shot at significant playing time this year now. Maybe later in the year if he takes it easy but a definite damper.

Heyward is probably going to take that #2 spot. He's less flawed than Bush and more physical/better pure cover guy than Shields. Shields is the most athletic of the bunch but he's just been underwhelming and Bush is simply not starter worthy. Physical and a decent playmaker but possibly the worst pure cover guy on our roster.

I'm a bit disappointed in Worthy so far. Haven't heard much from him, much more glowing reviews about Daniels and Muir. Hopefully he can step it up a bit.

J-Mike88
08-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Coming off a year in which our DBs tackled like girls, knowing that DaHouse is going to be babying a shoulder all year, that's not good news.

We saw how it affected Traymon last year.
And we know Shields is not a strong tackler.

Hopefully Hayward can be a rare rookie that plays early & well back there for us.

PackerLegend
08-30-2012, 12:20 PM
With the new IR just passing today that means we could get Desmond Bishop back! If hes healthy that is.

BloodBrother
08-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Early morning and some cuts are coming in

WR Shaky Smithson
G Ray Dominguez
TE DeMarco Cosby

all waived off IR with injury settlements

The others(continuously being updated)

S Anthony Levine
C Samson Genus
C/G Tommie Draheim
OT Andrew Datko
WR Tori Gurley
WR Diondre Borel
WR Dale Moss
FB Nic Cooper
TE Brandon Bostick
G/T Reggie Wells
G Greg Van Roten
OT Shea Allard
DE Lawrence Guy
WR Curenski Gilleylen
CB/KR Otis Merrill
RB Marc Tyler
DT Daniel Muir
QB B.J. Coleman

LB Vic So'oto was placed on IR, OT Derek Sherrod placed on PUP

DE Mike Neal begins serving his 4 game suspension
LB Erik Walden begins serving his 1 game suspension

PackerLegend
08-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Well so much for any of those WRs making it... there's still that one guy, can't think of his name from V Tech.

BloodBrother
08-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Jarrett Boykin. I could see him making it with how he played. If not, looks like they'll roll with the same 5 WR from last year

Safety Sean Richardson's chances of making the 53 man roster improved with the release of Anthony Levine

BloodBrother
08-31-2012, 01:47 PM
S Sean Richardson has indeed made the Packers 53 man roster

Packers released Daniel Muir. That surprised me a bit

PackerLegend
08-31-2012, 04:38 PM
So we have 5 to go?

BloodBrother
08-31-2012, 07:28 PM
4 or 5. They can keep an extra guy and put them at 54 since Neal is suspended the first 4 games

so if they want to go that route, they only need to cut 4. Wonder what's taking so long for the announcement of the last 4 cuts. They have 30 minutes until the deadline. Perhaps TT is trying to work a trade or something. They let go a TON of OLineman. They could use a vet backup or 2 there

BloodBrother
08-31-2012, 08:19 PM
B.J. Coleman was waived, Vic So'oto was placed on IR and Sherrod was placed on PUP

BloodBrother
08-31-2012, 08:38 PM
The Packers are currently at 55 players, but as has been stated before, they have 2 players who are suspended(Neal the first 4 games, Walden for the 1st game) so they don't count against the 53 man roster. After Week 1, they'll have to make a cut to activate Walden

Here's the roster for Week 1 with Neal/Walden obviously out

QB(2): Aaron Rodgers, Graham Harrell

RB(5): Cedric Benson, Alex Green, Brandon Saine, James Starks, John Kuhn

TE(4): Jermichael Finley, D.J. Williams, Ryan Taylor, Tom Crabtree

WR(6): Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, James Jones, Donald Driver, Jarrett Boykin

OL(7): Bryan Bulaga, Josh Sitton, Jeff Saturday, T.J. Lang, Marshall Newhouse, Evan Dietrich-Smith, Don Barclay

DL(6): Ryan Pickett, B.J. Raji, C.J. Wilson, Jerel Worthy, Mike Daniels, Phillip Merling

LB(9): Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Dezman Moses, Brad Jones, A.J. Hawk, D.J. Smith, Robert Francois, Jamari Lattimore, Terrell Manning

DB(11): Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Davon House, Morgan Burnett, Sean Richardson, Jarrett Bush, Casey Hayward, Brandion Ross, Jerron McMillian, M.D. Jennings

ST(3): Mason Crosby, Tim Masthay, Brett Goode

4 UDFA(players in bold) make the team. When Neal returns, I assume Merling is the one who will be cut. When Walden returns, I don't know who gets cut. They have too many DB's so perhaps they cut somebody from that group when Walden returns in week 2. I'd be willing to guess that it would likely be Brandion Ross

I'm not liking the depth at OL. They need another solid vet there or something. 7 won't do IMO, especially when its EDS and an UDFA in Barclay who comprise the depth there. You have to think that TT is placing some claims in on some OLineman. We'll find out tomorrow if that's the case

Some numbers:

- 15 new faces on this 53 man roster. Some are guys who have been with the team a few years but haven't been on the 53 man roster(i.e. Harrell, Brandion Ross, etc)

LB Dezman Moses
G Don Barclay
S Sean Richardson
WR Jarrett Boykin
RB Cedric Benson
DT Mike Daniels
CB Casey Hayward
QB Graham Harrell
LB Terrell Manning
S Jerron McMillian
DE Phillip Merling
LB Nick Perry
CB Brandion Ross
C Jeff Saturday
DE Jerel Worthy

- 10 rookies on the team. 6 draft picks from this years draft and the 4 UDFA. Those players are highlighted in bold

- 4 players on the 53 man roster are over the age of 30. WR Donald Driver(37 years old), C Jeff Saturday(37 years old), CB Charles Woodson(35 years old), DT Ryan Pickett(32 years old)

SuperPacker
08-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Initial thoughts:

- We're carrying too many running backs. One could possibly be cut next week.
- Dietrich-Smith as our only offensive line cover is VERY worrying.
- They must like Boykin a lot to keep him when they didn't keep Borel or Gurley last year.
- The sooner we can get rid of AJ Hawk the better. BJ Raji is probably a better ILB than him.

Sportsfan486
09-01-2012, 02:09 PM
So when you figure that Sherrod, Neal, Walden and at least one waived OLineman from a different team will end up on our roster we'll have to dump 4 of these guys.

My assumption would be the following; Terrell Manning, Philip Merling, Brandion Ross and either Sean Richardson or Brandon Saine/James Starks. I still wouldn't be surprised if we kept Starks around until after week to see how his injury was going and if the rehab was at all slow, he'd get cut.

Boykin had to make our roster or someone would have picked him up, probably the Dolphins. He's legitimately looked good. He's got very good size, has shown easily top 3 hands out of all the receivers on our team and runs much better routes than either of Borel or Gurley. His upside is probably limited by his lack of speed but he's just better than those two.

Frankly, he'll probably be a better (and less expensive) version of James Jones if we keep him around for a year or two. He's bigger and has better hands. Jones is stealthily a very good route runner but Boykin can get there. Gurley and Borel were both just too flawed in my opinion.

Daniel Muir getting cut was a bit surprising but also not as crazy as people are hyping. He was going to be our #3 DT and well down the list of Nickel d-lineman (behind Raji, Worthy, Daniels, and probably both Wilson and Neal.) There just wasn't a spot for him to get reps and what we've seen from camp is his ceiling. They obviously still have hope that Neal and Wilson can grow and Daniels and Worthy clearly are much higher priorities. I honestly think we cut him instead of Merling to give Muir a chance to grab on with another team. Merling is probably just going to be a body for someone when we drop him.

BamaFalcon59
09-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Boykin is awesome. How does a team like the Jaguars let go of him? Incredible.

I personally thought Danny Coale would be the better between he and Boykin in the league, but Coale got injured and was released from the Cowboys. However, Boykin is in the perfect spot in Green Bay; like someone said, he could turn into a James Jones WR for you guys and nobody would blink an eye.

PackerLegend
09-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Does anyone know who we signed to our practice squad? All I've seen reported so far is Marc Tyler.... which is a player I wish we would dump already. He had the most opportunities in the preseason and still looked the worst out of all our RBs.

SuperPacker
09-03-2012, 09:50 PM
WR Diondre Borel, DE Lawrence Guy, QB BJ Coleman, RB Marc Tyler, OT Andrew Datko, OG Greg Van Roten, OT/OG Chris Scott and TE Brandon Bostick.

princefielder28
09-05-2012, 09:02 AM
There seems to be a growing feeling that this will be Greg Jennings last year with the Packers.

SuperPacker
09-05-2012, 10:25 AM
There seems to be a growing feeling that this will be Greg Jennings last year with the Packers.

Not the best news.

I was surprised with Aaron coming out and saying he might not be here. Sounded like he had conceded to losing Greg, which is weird, because the season hasn't even started yet.

WCH
09-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Jennings is my favorite player. We're the same age and grew up twenty miles apart, so I've been following him since he was in HS at Kalamazoo Central. I'd like nothing more than to see him end his career as a Packer.

It's a numbers game, though. Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji also have contracts that need to get done. Jennings is probably the easiest to replace (there's a very good chance that the replacement is already on the roster).

SuperPacker
09-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Jennings is my favorite player. We're the same age and grew up twenty miles apart, so I've been following him since he was in HS at Kalamazoo Central. I'd like nothing more than to see him end his career as a Packer.

It's a numbers game, though. Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji also have contracts that need to get done. Jennings is probably the easiest to replace (there's a very good chance that the replacement is already on the roster).

If we do let Jennings go, we'll go with Nelson and Cobb who are both on friendly contracts. Jones is a decent #3. Boykin could possibly be the #4 if we don't keep Driver and then we'd have a need at receiver for the #5, but i'm sure we could find someone in the middle rounds of the draft who would be able to contribute. And then of course we have Finley at TE. Our group of receivers would still be very good, but not at the level they are at now.

It's definitely more important to keep Rodgers, Matthews and Raji than it is to keep Jennings.

ImBrotherCain
09-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Boykin is awesome. How does a team like the Jaguars let go of him? Incredible.

I personally thought Danny Coale would be the better between he and Boykin in the league, but Coale got injured and was released from the Cowboys. However, Boykin is in the perfect spot in Green Bay; like someone said, he could turn into a James Jones WR for you guys and nobody would blink an eye.

I still think Coale has a spot in the league. He is a Welker type receiver with deceptive speed. Not to mention that he will do anything asked of him which is a big plus.

But as I said before as a VTech/ Packer fan I am glad to see Boykin stuck and I think he can only continue to grow.

PackerLegend
09-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Teddy likes to keep his guys and if there's a way Jennings will still be here. Only reason he won't be back is if we have no money left to give him. Im not worried about Rodgers comments. What else is he really suppose to say come contract time for any player its never guaranteed they'll be back. It just really sucks if he isn't because he is way way up there as far as being one of my favourite Packers, plus he is such a high character guy.

BloodBrother
09-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Jennings would have to take a slight discount IMO. If he really wants to be here, he'll have to sign for a bit less. We'll see

I hope they bring him back, but they have a lot of guys who need to get paid as well

Sportsfan486
09-07-2012, 03:19 PM
I think he'll still be here. Worst case, we franchise him next year as a stopcap and then Woodson will likely be retiring and that will create enough space to front-load a deal.

Losing Jennings while he's still in his prime would be a horrendous mistake. I think the reason it hasn't been done yet is we really need to plan well and figure out how to get all these big contracts done. We have a nice amount of capspace and all three of of Rodgers, Clay and Jennings want to stay here so we should be able to make those three big contracts fit together like a puzzle piece. Frontload one or two and defer the other over yearly, or whatever works.

There is no one on our roster (or anyone else's roster) that can replace Jennings. His route running, hands and most importantly chemistry with Rodgers are all top tier. We all saw what happened in that Chiefs game when he wasn't there and the Giants game when he and Rodgers weren't on the same page. He is the focal point of our offense and everything else flows around him.

I'd put significant money down to say he'll be back.

princefielder28
09-07-2012, 05:16 PM
I think he'll still be here. Worst case, we franchise him next year as a stopcap and then Woodson will likely be retiring and that will create enough space to front-load a deal.

Losing Jennings while he's still in his prime would be a horrendous mistake. I think the reason it hasn't been done yet is we really need to plan well and figure out how to get all these big contracts done. We have a nice amount of capspace and all three of of Rodgers, Clay and Jennings want to stay here so we should be able to make those three big contracts fit together like a puzzle piece. Frontload one or two and defer the other over yearly, or whatever works.

There is no one on our roster (or anyone else's roster) that can replace Jennings. His route running, hands and most importantly chemistry with Rodgers are all top tier. We all saw what happened in that Chiefs game when he wasn't there and the Giants game when he and Rodgers weren't on the same page. He is the focal point of our offense and everything else flows around him.

I'd put significant money down to say he'll be back.

We're somewhat of cap-strapped team so I'm not sure how realistic the franchise tag would be given the large dollar amount, and a long term contract would be a greater possibility, I feel, because the team could get creative with how the money is distributed. If I had to bet on how this plays out I would say that Jennings hits free agency because Thompson usually takes care of a player prior to them flirting with free agency, and we've seen Jenkins and Wells leave in the same manner the last two seasons.

SuperPacker
09-07-2012, 07:10 PM
It really sucks to lose Jennings, he's the definition of what a Packer should be; such a great guy. Would love to keep him around so much, but as PF said, I don't think it's possible. :/

Sportsfan486
09-07-2012, 09:14 PM
We're somewhat of cap-strapped team so I'm not sure how realistic the franchise tag would be given the large dollar amount, and a long term contract would be a greater possibility, I feel, because the team could get creative with how the money is distributed. If I had to bet on how this plays out I would say that Jennings hits free agency because Thompson usually takes care of a player prior to them flirting with free agency, and we've seen Jenkins and Wells leave in the same manner the last two seasons.

I think there's some things to consider, though. There are a number of big contracts that could conceivably come off at the end of this season. Now, I'm not sure what the penalties are for each of them but realistically we'll have Driver retiring, possibly Woodson and Saturday as well and Hawk could get released. Considering we're under right now by a few million and Jennings cap number with a new contract will probably only rise $2 million or so with a creative contract.. I think it's entirely possible.

And let's face it, if it comes down to keeping a 36+ year old Woodson or a 38+ year old Saturday versus Jennings.. the wise decision is to go with Jennings. Are we going to get all four guys (Rodgers, Raji, Matthews, Jennings) signed this year? Doubtful at best. But I'd be shocked if we don't at least get Jennings and two others done.

Also, Jennings is a lot different of a situation than Wells or Jenkins. Wells wanted to be overpaid and frankly wasn't that great. Jenkins was great but played a position we didn't put a premium on (and you have to think we learned a lesson from that.) Jennings is without a doubt one of our top 3 players. Wells was way down that list and Jenkins wasn't even top 3 on our defense.

Also, we've already shown a propensity towards keeping the skill players around Rodgers during his prime. How surprised were we all when we resigned Finley and Jones? Sure, they ended up being relatively inexpensive but the odds on those guys coming back didn't look great. Frankly, had we kept Jenkins we wouldn't even being having the conversation of resigning Jennings as it'd be almost impossible with his figure also looming over us. I'm of the belief TT chose keeping that skill core around Rodgers (and was rewarded with a 15-2 season) over keeping a player at a position he could replace with numbers instead of a star.

Mufasa
09-07-2012, 09:25 PM
I think there's some things to consider, though. There are a number of big contracts that could conceivably come off at the end of this season. Now, I'm not sure what the penalties are for each of them but realistically we'll have Driver retiring, possibly Woodson and Saturday as well and Hawk could get released. Considering we're under right now by a few million and Jennings cap number with a new contract will probably only rise $2 million or so with a creative contract.. I think it's entirely possible.

And let's face it, if it comes down to keeping a 36+ year old Woodson or a 38+ year old Saturday versus Jennings.. the wise decision is to go with Jennings. Are we going to get all four guys (Rodgers, Raji, Matthews, Jennings) signed this year? Doubtful at best. But I'd be shocked if we don't at least get Jennings and two others done.

Well no **** Rodgers will get a new contract. You absolutely have to keep Matthews or your defense would be twice as pathetic as it was last year. And Raji is way more important than Jennings, especially considering who the next man up behind each of them is. You can maybe franchise Jennings for one year, but after that he's gone.

Sportsfan486
09-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Well no **** Rodgers will get a new contract. You absolutely have to keep Matthews or your defense would be twice as pathetic as it was last year. And Raji is way more important than Jennings, especially considering who the next man up behind each of them is. You can maybe franchise Jennings for one year, but after that he's gone.

How is Raji "way more important" than Jennings? First of all, his contract isn't up until after 2013. Meaning if we don't sign him this year we still have a year to do it.

Secondly, he wasn't that good last year. I fully believe it was for lack of rest and overuse and his ceiling is still fantastic, but the fact is he wasn't worth a wealthy contract last season. Without Jennings, we would have lost at least two more games. He was literally the focal point of our offense. If you go back to 2010 and watch all the games, there comes a point where Finley goes down and we revamp our offense to flow off of Jennings. From there on out we won a Superbowl and had a 15-2 season.

princefielder28
09-08-2012, 08:07 AM
How is Raji "way more important" than Jennings? First of all, his contract isn't up until after 2013. Meaning if we don't sign him this year we still have a year to do it.

Secondly, he wasn't that good last year. I fully believe it was for lack of rest and overuse and his ceiling is still fantastic, but the fact is he wasn't worth a wealthy contract last season. Without Jennings, we would have lost at least two more games. He was literally the focal point of our offense. If you go back to 2010 and watch all the games, there comes a point where Finley goes down and we revamp our offense to flow off of Jennings. From there on out we won a Superbowl and had a 15-2 season.

Raji is undoubtedly more valuable than Jennings and that doesn't take anything away from Greg. You bring up how Raji was overused last year and why was that? It's because we simply didn't have much talent upfront and we couldn't afford to have him off the field even if his effectiveness took a bit of a dip. Coming into this year we have an older Ryan Pickett and two youngsters so there's plenty of uncertainty on our defensive line, but one thing remains constant, Raji is our best player there with little proven depth behind him.

PackerLegend
09-08-2012, 10:15 AM
I saw on PFT a few days ago the Packers are almost 12 million under the cap. They actually currently have I think it was the 8th most cap space. The Jags led the way with 27 million. The Eagles know how to work the system and I'm sure the Packers can as well. Jennings is more important then Raji. How many games did our defense win for us? We need Jennings because its all about matchups. Part of what makes are O so great is are guys especially are 2-5 WRs are so much better then the opponents 2-5 DBs.

EDIT: HERES THE LINK TO CAP CURRENT NUMBERS
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/04/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-september-3/

The Lions are tied for the least amount, we have twice as much as the Bears and 3 Million more then the Vikings.

PackerLegend
09-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Packers released Vic So'oto with an injury settlement. Not huge news but slightly disappointing. Had hopes for him.

princefielder28
09-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Terrell Manning suffered a concussion on Sunday and will be out for tomorrow's game.

SuperPacker
09-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Does anyone actually think that we will/should trade Jennings? I don't know if I can see that happening.

princefielder28
09-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Does anyone actually think that we will/should trade Jennings? I don't know if I can see that happening.

We're not going to deal him.

SuperPacker
10-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Woo! :banana:

http://i.imgur.com/5skEY.jpg

princefielder28
10-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Neal activated, Merling cut

PackerLegend
10-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Neal activated, Merling cut

Come on Neal show us u were worth 2nd round

PackerLegend
10-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Rodgers has missed the deep throw all year... this really sucks.

PackerLegend
10-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Brian Bullock is a horrid announcer wheres my mute button. Neal sighting already should have had a sack.

princefielder28
10-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Benson is already out for the Texans game

J-Mike88
10-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Benson is already out for the Texans game
Great perfect. We were finally starting to establish a respectable running game with the usually-durable Benson. And he's a Texas guy who would love to play down there... like Finley.

princefielder28
10-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Great perfect. We were finally starting to establish a respectable running game with the usually-durable Benson. And he's a Texas guy who would love to play down there... like Finley.

The loss of him makes our offensive strictly one-dimensional and against a defense like Houston's, where they have an unstoppable force upfront in JJ Watt, we are in big trouble come Sunday night.

PackerLegend
10-08-2012, 09:20 PM
If you waatched MNF halftime Adam S and Mort say Benson is out 8 weeks and his season may be over.

BloodBrother
10-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Packers trying to mimic the 2010 season! If they win Sunday, they'll be 3-3 just like they were in 2010, and now it sounds like their starting RB will miss the rest of the year....just like in 2010!

SB here we come

BaLLiN
10-08-2012, 11:45 PM
So with Benson out, do you guys turn to Green, Starks, or use Cobb more as a hybrid WR/RB?

BloodBrother
10-09-2012, 12:32 AM
They should be using Cobb more PERIOD

and I assume it will just be RBBC crap with Green/Starks/Saine. Green should likely get the most reps since Starks is just returning from his turf toe injury

jayceheathman
10-09-2012, 12:40 AM
I am looking forward to Sunday. We couldn't finish off drives against the Jets and had to settle for field goals. Your offense won't let us get away with that like the Jets did. It is rumored that Brian Cushing has a torn ACL.
:( Clay Matthews is right with his post about how the NFL only cares about player protection on the offensive side of the ball. They don't protect against blocks like Cushing took to the knee.

BloodBrother
10-09-2012, 12:48 AM
Wow torn ACL? That blows

now that I've cooled down from the Packers crappy ass loss, I don't think Texans blow them out, but I still think the Texans will win a close game. Raji might not play sunday, which would make their already weak Run D that much weaker. Can't have that vs Foster/Tate

jayceheathman
10-09-2012, 01:11 AM
Wow torn ACL? That blows

now that I've cooled down from the Packers crappy ass loss, I don't think Texans blow them out, but I still think the Texans will win a close game. Raji might not play sunday, which would make their already weak Run D that much weaker. Can't have that vs Foster/Tate

John McClain wrote, "Brian Cushing appears to be done for season with a torn ACL. Tim Dobbins replaced him. What a loss for the Texans' defense."

From the replays tonight, it didn't look like Andre Johnson was open at all. Sadly, it seems he has lost a big step. Either that or the Texans have a really balanced offense.

RockJock07
10-09-2012, 01:14 AM
They should be using Cobb more PERIOD

and I assume it will just be RBBC crap with Green/Starks/Saine. Green should likely get the most reps since Starks is just returning from his turf toe injury

The talk coming out of training camp was the Randle Cobb was going to be used more out of the backfield which said to me that he would get a 4-5 carries a game out of the backfield. So far that has been pretty limited.

With Finley blowing ass I'd like to see more Cobb and DJ Williams.

SuperMcGee
10-09-2012, 02:17 AM
Just remember that James Starks is made of magic. He won a championship at Buffalo of all places, started for you guys en route to a Super Bowl, and has lost fewer games in his career than you have this season. Yes, his career has been limited to 21 games, but still. Magic.

D-Unit
10-09-2012, 02:44 AM
Can't wait for more of Alex Green! CAN'T WAIT!!!!

J-Mike88
10-09-2012, 08:25 AM
I didn't see what Clay said but I always have bitched about any players diving at any other players knees. That's wreckless dangerous and dirty.

The announcers should have been outraged over the hit/block.
Even Cushing's teammates... they should have gone after Slausen the Jets hillbilly offensive lineman who threw himself into the back-side of Cushing's leg.

SuperPacker
10-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Randall Cobb is our best running back and arguably our best receiver. If we could use him how the Vikings use Percy Harvin, our offense would be so much better. More Cobb please!

BloodBrother
10-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Can't wait for more of Alex Green! CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Same. I just can't stand how the Pack run the ball. Defenses aren't bothering to play the run vs GB but GB plays right into their hands by having these stupid delayed run plays. Need to get Rodgers under center and they need to run more to the right side(the strength of their OL)

I despise their stupid stretch runs. I also hope to see more screens with Green, as he's an excellent receiver. Use him to his strengths ffs

If I had to guess, I'd say they probably want Green to get 15 carries, Starks about 5-6. With that said, they'll probably only run the ball about 15 times TOTAL....and Rodgers will lead them in rushing

that's usually how it turns out

Pack_Attack_4
10-11-2012, 12:09 PM
I was at the Indy game my third packers game(Buffalo n Detroit) im now 0-3 going to see the pack. I thought this one had blow out written all over it going up 21-3 then injurys to BJ Benson n Finley really took a toll on us. With out BJ the colts really started moving the ball on us, and on off with out 3 skilled players Jennings Finly Benson we couldent get ne thing going. But the really cool thing about my trip to indy was the packers stayed at my hotel n i met like half the team. DJ smith Sitton Bulaga Driver Jordy Walden Sheilds Burnett MD Jennings DJ Willams Moses Hayward Danaiels it was really cool.

princefielder28
10-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Greg Van Roten has been signed off the practice squad

RockJock07
10-14-2012, 11:30 PM
It will be interesting to see how serious injuries are coming out of the Houston game.

The LBs will be interesting however if shields has to miss time there is actually depth at CB. How is Devon House progressing?

D-Unit
10-15-2012, 03:03 AM
What were your thoughts of Alex Green? :)

princefielder28
10-15-2012, 07:18 AM

He looked good for his first start. I'd like to see a little more physicality and toughness in his runs since he's not a small back and he needs to cut down on trying to bounce it outside for the "big" run and just be happy with cutting up field to guarantee the extra two or three yards.

TimmG6376
10-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Agree with pf28. Looked strong on inside runs when given space but missed out on chances for at least a couple first downs because he tried to put a move on the defender instead of just lowering the shoulder. In the second half he couldn't find much room, but I think that was due to the Texans really committing to stop the run and the offensive line not creating holes.

SuperPacker
10-15-2012, 11:46 AM

He's quite a sexy man. Played good as well.

D-Unit
10-15-2012, 03:24 PM
He looked good for his first start. I'd like to see a little more physicality and toughness in his runs since he's not a small back and he needs to cut down on trying to bounce it outside for the "big" run and just be happy with cutting up field to guarantee the extra two or three yards.
His frame is big but he doesn't have the power in his leg drive to be that kind of runner. Unless he commits to being that kind of thick legged back, you're going to continue to see him try to use his vision and speed.

His pass blocking is pretty dang good though, eh?

princefielder28
10-15-2012, 03:39 PM
His pass blocking is pretty dang good though, eh?

Outside of one play I didn't notice bad things about his ability to pick up the blitz in pass protection so that's obviously a good thing

BloodBrother
10-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Packers placed RB Brandon Saine on IR(torn ACL) and have claimed RB Johnny White off waivers from Buffalo

BloodBrother
10-15-2012, 05:08 PM
DJ Smith is lost for the season with a torn ACL, as expected. He and Saine done for the year

they'll know more about Perry and Shields and their availability this Wednesday

MM said Perry looked good today and that things are better than they thought it would be. Said the replay didn't look good with how he fell but were fortunate

Also just said Alex Green is their lead back and isn't concerned about "rep counts" with him any longer. Said Green is past having any rep counts

Quarless/Zombo are returning this week from PUP and MM thinks both are ready to return. Sherrod is still behind the other 2

J-Mike88
10-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Johnny White

Height:
5-10
Weight:
College:
North Carolina
Experience:

In 2 seasons, bits & pieces behind Fred Jackson & CJ Spiller, J-White has had 20 carries for 72 yards.
He's also had 6 solo tackles on special teams, which will be his role at first.

Was selected by the Buffalo Bills in the 5th round, 133rd overall in last year's (2011) NFL Draft.

Anutha Brutha with dreads so he'll blend right in with dozens of othaz on this team. http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nfl/players/full/14115.png&w=350&h=254

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/204/637/white-running_crop_340x234.jpg?1304293096

Here's what one analyst had to say last April after the Bills drafted Johnny:
2011 NFL Draft Grades are in for the Buffalo Bills that managed to find value deep in the trenches of the NFL draft.

The Bills already have a good duo of running backs in Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller. Adding another one such as Johnny White is fantastic considering where they took him.

The Bills went into the fifth round looking for the best possible athlete. Johnny White lacks size and speed, but he has a lot more to like.

White is a tremendous worker. He gives you all he has on every down, not that the Bills will feature him. He has great instincts and will find holes.

He also adds a weapon in the passing game. You can't discount what he gives you with great hands and the ability to gain yards after reception. The Bills add another role player to an improving offense.

http://www.buffalobills.com/assets/images/imported/BUF/photos/article-assets/Story-Photos/2011-may/white-college-story.jpg http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Johnny+White+Kansas+City+Chiefs+v+Buffalo+4OQUJKFU tVyl.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Johnny+White+Buffalo+Bills+v+Detroit+Lions+bB-ITdymis1l.jpg Johnny White #20 of the Buffalo Bills flips the ball to a official after scoring a third quarter touchdown next to Colin Brown #74 during a pre season game at Ford Field on August 30, 2012 in Detroit, Michigan.

PackerLegend
10-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Seriously this team is really starting to roll with the dread theme. Before we know it Rodgers might have them as well. Lol

J-Mike88
10-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Seriously this team is really starting to roll with the dread theme. Before we know it Rodgers might have them as well. Lol
Yeah, rumor has it that's why they felt Grant was expendable and preferred to roll with Alex Green & bring in the dreaded Benson. Now White.
Who's next? Ricky Williams?

By the way, I think almost all hits into the fronts of the knees (and backs, sides many times) are cheap shots. See the one on Cushing, the one on Adrian Peterson last year, the ones Delmas puts on etc.

But I don't find anything cheap, dirty with the hit Duane Brown put on DJ Smith, seen here, which ended his season. It was bad luck that the right foot got stuck in the crappy fake grass. And DJ was caught off-guard... have to always be ready for a hit until the play is well over, and that includes just off the sidelines as well.
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/upload/Texans-SmithhitA.jpg

ImBrotherCain
10-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Ricky wasn't terrible last year... So it might be worth it.

TimmG6376
10-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Yeah, rumor has it that's why they felt Grant was expendable and preferred to roll with Alex Green & bring in the dreaded Benson. Now White.
Who's next? Ricky Williams?

By the way, I think almost all hits into the fronts of the knees (and backs, sides many times) are cheap shots. See the one on Cushing, the one on Adrian Peterson last year, the ones Delmas puts on etc.

But I don't find anything cheap, dirty with the hit Duane Brown put on DJ Smith, seen here, which ended his season. It was bad luck that the right foot got stuck in the crappy fake grass. And DJ was caught off-guard... have to always be ready for a hit until the play is well over, and that includes just off the sidelines as well.

Collinsworth was referring to a new rule which apparently makes that hit questionable. I'm not familiar with the rule, but yeah it was more just bad luck that his foot stuck in the turf.

I thought the earlier block on Pickett in which he was engaged with his blocker when another lineman cut at his legs should have been called. I thought that was the definition of the chop block. Collinsworth said it was legal. Fortunately he was not injured.

PackerLegend
10-16-2012, 05:07 PM
It seems fairly dirty to me. It was behind a play that was basically over and Smith wasn't involved at all. I don't like it, if the RB wasn't already tackled its a little different.

roughrider30
10-16-2012, 05:18 PM
This whole injury situation has to drive up what Hawk really means to this team, right? I have been as disappointed as everyone else with his play at times, but the guy just stays on the field. Period.

I was definitely one of the ones who was very open to Hawk being on the cut list this year, but now he's a guy I am very glad to have on the roster.

Hopefully he can keep up at least some of that level he was playing at against Hou.

BloodBrother
10-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Hawk has actually been pretty decent this season. He's looked better vs the run and is making more plays at the LOS than usual. He obviously is a huge liability in coverage and always will be

He's a solid player who has done a good job of staying on the field and healthy. That means something. Still though, for this 3-4 D to take it to the next level, they'll need to find that stud ILB who does it all.

roughrider30
10-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Hawk has actually been pretty decent this season. He's looked better vs the run and is making more plays at the LOS than usual. He obviously is a huge liability in coverage and always will be

He's a solid player who has done a good job of staying on the field and healthy. That means something. Still though, for this 3-4 D to take it to the next level, they'll need to find that stud ILB who does it all.

I agree with all of this. He seems to be an un-athletic player that has better than average awareness. He's done a real good job of sniffing out plays, but if he just had some more talent he would be able to make some more big plays.

Hawk
10-17-2012, 08:51 PM
I was looking though some old football cards and found a few De'Mond Parker cards. What if this guy hadn't gotten tore his ACL? Check out the highlights. Imagine him and Ahman Green a few years back.

TAY44IWg

J-Mike88
10-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Hawk has been very unheralded.
So has James Jones.
These were 2 guys I saw many so-called fans saying we needed to get rid of.

In news:
The Packers have signed 2 players – including a Green Bay native – to their practice squad.

GM Teddy Thompson said the team signed wide receiver Jeremy Ross and defensive end Drew Vanderlin to the practice squad.

Vanderlin is a 6-foot-3, 288-pound rookie out of Michigan Tech. Vanderlin, a graduate of Green Bay Southwest High School, is ranked 2nd on Michigan Tech’s career sacks list with 20. He earned all-conference honors twice and was named the team’s defensive lineman of the year as a junior and a senior. Vanderlin participated in the Packers’ rookie orientation camp on a tryout basis in May. He will wear number 97. That was John Jolly's old number.

• Ross is a 6-foot-tall, 215-pound 1st-year player from the University of California. He has spent time with the New England and Indianapolis organizations, spending the final 13 games of the 2011 season on the Colts’ practice squad. Ross finished his college career ranked second in school history in punt returns, with a 15.2-yard average. He will wear number 10 for Green Bay.

J-Mike88
10-18-2012, 03:55 PM
#UpsetAlert (http://packersinsider.com/?p=4678) ?

princefielder28
10-19-2012, 08:08 AM
#UpsetAlert (http://packersinsider.com/?p=4678) ?

I think any time we go on the road we need to be on alert. Granted we did go into Houston and grab a huge victory last week, but prior to that we dropped games at Indianapolis and Seattle and even last year we lost at Kansas City in our last road game.

PackerLegend
10-19-2012, 12:21 PM
I think any time we go on the road we need to be on alert. Granted we did go into Houston and grab a huge victory last week, but prior to that we dropped games at Indianapolis and Seattle and even last year we lost at Kansas City in our last road game.

Well we didn't really lose against the Seahawks. But still it was very close and the Seahawks almost won. We can't look past the Rams in any way. They are a decent team who could beat any team if its a goof day.

TitleTown088
10-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Man, Hayward is really looking like one hell of a draft pick.

princefielder28
10-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Woodson broke his collarbone, out six weeks

ImBrotherCain
10-22-2012, 02:39 PM

Greaaattttt.

BloodBrother
10-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Well, he is old

Good news is the next 3 weeks shape up well with them facing the Jags and CArds and then the Bye week. I think Woodson's presence on the field will be missed moreso than his play at this stage in his career.

If they get Shields back this week or next, I think they can manage just fine

BloodBrother
10-22-2012, 03:10 PM
my main concern is I hope Dom doesn't go with more zone coverage because of this

PackerLegend
10-23-2012, 12:29 PM

This is a big blow but at this point in his career it probably is a bigger blow to the communication and his leadership of this D.