PDA

View Full Version : Break-out players

Jakey
02-09-2008, 04:33 PM
I just wondered who you think is gonna be the next Willie Parker/Ike Taylor/James Harrison for the Stillers. i.e a player that started off slow...but then made a major impact. I'll add a poll...just because they are fun :)

I didnt add Santonio Holmes or Lamarr Woodley...just cus i think they are a given to succeed.

mikehop05
02-09-2008, 04:57 PM
it was a toss up for me between russell, ***, and smith but i went russell... i like the way he runs and i think he will get about 100 carries this year and make the most outa all of em

Santonio10
02-09-2008, 05:40 PM
I was tempted by Russell, but i think Smith starts to fulfill his potential this year, so that who i voted for.*** also didnt look to bad this year when he got it. I like him too.

steelersfan27
02-10-2008, 10:20 AM
i voted for smith as well. it was between him and stapleton for me. i think smith can become an impact safety this year.

Hines
02-11-2008, 06:48 AM
I voted for Smith, just because I think he will get his confidence up this year and kick ass and have 5-6 interceptions. I was going to put Woodley, but we all know what he will do. Also, dont forget Timmons, as I think he will come on strong next year and do better then Foote ever did.

mikehop05
02-11-2008, 12:21 PM
I voted for Smith, just because I think he will get his confidence up this year and kick ass and have 5-6 interceptions. I was going to put Woodley, but we all know what he will do. Also, dont forget Timmons, as I think he will come on strong next year and do better then Foote ever did.

u better hope TT doesnt see this...

CDub
02-11-2008, 02:09 PM
I voted for G a y because i think he has the easiest transition to be a starter and therefore be a breakout player.

Smith - if Clark comes back healthy he is the starter and anthony has to prove himself all over again.

Colon/Kemoeatu - i think there's too much uncertanty along the o-line, we're not even sure who will be here and who will be playing where to predict who will be a breakout player, plus with Colon already a starter I'm not sure he can breakout any more.

Russell - if Davenport stays then Russell is back to 3rd string giving him the potential to breakout but i think it will be harder for him to crack the starting lineup. Also, what if Haynes comes back....

Baker - I was really high on him coming out last yr and thought we had gotten a late rd steal but then he was really unimpressive in camp and I'm not sure how high the coaches still are on him.

Stapelton - I have heard that the coaches like him and if he becomes a starter and plays well then he will win the breakout award among these options but i think G a y has a better shot.

other - I'd like to revisit this option after the draft but for now tho - can a 1st rd pick be considered a breakout? If so I'm hoping that Timmons comes on this yr just cause I'd hate to see us have a wasted 1st rd pick.. I think the plan for him was to move Foote in for Farrior once he retires/gets too old, and then put Timmons in for Foote where i think he can really excell.

ryanrayne
02-11-2008, 06:42 PM
My vote is for Gary Russell. I think he may surprise this year and really pick up the slack, when Davenport is released

TheWood56
02-12-2008, 06:20 AM
I voted for Anthony Smith as I think he has great potential and just needs to play a little more disciplined, not necessarily less aggressive. I've always been a huge fan of Smith and his potential, and it seems as though he's always showing slight glimses of it, though IMO, it's only a matter of time until he breaks out and develops into a great ballhawking, trash talking, huge hitting safety. Oh, I can see it now. :cool:

brat316
02-13-2008, 03:22 AM
lineman Stapleton the next harting

Jakey
02-13-2008, 04:43 AM
lineman Stapleton the next harting

I think Bhaarat just pulled a MHop...posting in a drunken stooper!

Mr. Stiller
02-13-2008, 07:18 AM
I think Stapleton will be the starter next year and compared to Mahan, he may look like Jeff Hartings.

DeathbyStat
02-13-2008, 08:01 AM
I think it will be Gary Russel if the line actually decides to block anyone.

And he earns some playing time by outshining Davenport in pre season

bdcbdc7
02-13-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm going with Russell. He has to get the shot but here is what I see.

Russell was out of football for almost a year. A good summer working out will be good for him. When I see him run I see a poor mans Emmitt Smith. He hits the whole real well with solid lean and I like that I see him always going forward.

Take this for what it is worth but I would not be shocked at all if he turns out to be a GREAT back. FWP has more speed and runs with incredible heart but I do not see the vision or patience that I see glimpses of in Russell.

Russell IMO looks to have natural RB skills.

TheWood56
02-13-2008, 10:13 PM
I think Stapleton will be the starter next year and compared to Mahan, he may look like Jeff Hartings.

I sure hope he starts over Mahan, especially if we only have Mahan and Stapleton as center's on the roster next season, because honestly, I just don't really want to see Mahan on the field at all next season, especially in a starting role.

Santonio10
02-14-2008, 12:16 PM
sorry if im a little behind, but whos this stapleton guy. Ive never heard of him until i got on here. how old is he? wheres he from?

mikehop05
02-14-2008, 12:23 PM
sorry if im a little behind, but whos this stapleton guy. Ive never heard of him until i got on here. how old is he? wheres he from?

UDFA from rutgers last draft class, a bit undersized at about 290, but apparently plays pretty tough and the coaches love him

Jakey
02-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Mike...apparently his weight is up to 308lbs

mikehop05
02-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Mike...apparently his weight is up to 308lbs

oh snap really? whered u hear this?

Jakey
02-14-2008, 12:28 PM
^ I cant remember...it was prolly SCI

Santonio10
02-14-2008, 02:02 PM
UDFA from rutgers last draft class, a bit undersized at about 290, but apparently plays pretty tough and the coaches love him

thats awesome, i hope he turns out to be as good as everyone on here thinks he'll be haha

TheWood56
02-14-2008, 10:41 PM
oh snap really? whered u hear this?

Heard the exact same thing Mike, that he's around that 308lbs mark or something. But yeah, apparently he looks pretty big now, which is a good thing, because when he came here from Rutgers, he was a little undersized as I believe you said.