PDA

View Full Version : 2nd mock of the year w/explanations

BroadwayJoe10
02-09-2008, 06:50 PM
I would first off like to note that I do not have Brian Brohm in the first round and I have no problem with him going in the top of the second. The likely hood is that he does go in the first, but if anyone here would like him as their pick instead of who they got I'd like to hear a reason and if it's convincing i'll be glad to shake things up. Other than that I feel good about most of the selections but there are some i do not; as always criticism is definately appreciated and if ya don't like the pick just explain who'd ya rather have and why!

1. Miami - Chris Long DE Virginia - There seem to be a lot of rumors about Parcells trading down, however I don't like to predict trades so I'm going to stick with what I feel is the best choice, C.long. I know some people like the physical attributes of gholston and the combine will be telling, but i don't feel that he is as safe a pick as long and that's what you want with the first pick; someone who is going to be consisten, play hard everydown and not sit on the bench soaking up 20+ million of guaranteed money. If i had to hang my hat on a single player that will at worst be a reliable starter for years to come it would be c.long. I'm not saying he won't be a star, but i just don't see a potential "bust" in him, his work ethic and drive is outstanding. I also have heard rumors of Matt Ryan and he gets a decent look here, but until the combine, proday and personal workouts i'm not gonna lean towards him. There is also the idea of Ellis, but i'm not going to go that route as of yet.

2. St. Louis - Glen Dorsey DT LSU - I know Dorsey has fallen out of favor with a lot of people and I was leaning towards Jake Long with this pick, but I just see dorsey being a fantastic addition to this team. I loved carricker as a DE to begin with and the addition of dorsey could allow him to see more snaps there. Also, the inside pass rush of dorsey and carricker together would be incredible. I've seen vernon gholston get some mention here, but until the combine etc. i don't feel he is a top 5 pick considering the players still on the board.

3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan QB Boston College - I always thought Joey Harrington got a bad rap and held out that he could be a decent starter, however he isn't someone that you want leading the rebuilding of your franchise, nor is Leftwich. I remember reading a very convincing argument about not drafting a QB and getting McFadden, because Chris Redman had a good few games and the play of the RBs were atrocious. I personally feel Redman is a very good backup, but after good NFL DCs have an offseason to prepare for him he won't be as effective. I know a lot of falcons fans won't be too pleased with this choice, but until I see some different news from the falcons organization I'm gonna stick with this selection.

4. Oakland - Darren McFadden RB Arkansas - Two extremely gifted athletes two years in a row for Al Davis. I know there is a lot of arguments about not taking a RB in the top 10 and I agree, but I also know that Al loves his athletes and that is exactly what McFadden is. Ellis also gets a strong look in order to replace sapp, i'm about 70-30, mcfadden to ellis right now for the raiders.

5. Kansas City - Jake Long OT Michigan - I truly wanted to give the chiefs ellis, but I am not going to go with what I want to do over what I think will happen. I think the addition of jake long would have a greater impact than that of ellis. I'd like to hear the chiefs fans response on this one.

6. NY Jets - Sedrick Ellis DT USC - This is not the pick that I want for the jets and I'm sure the other fellow jets fans won't like it either, however I decided to go with what I think the FO will do. Mangini talked a lot about the new type of NT he wants who is quick and strong, but isn't your usual space eater. He asked pouha to lose some weight and i feel that's a good indication; the combine will be a better sign of where they'll go. If gholston lights it up he could easily be the choice as well as harvey.

7. New England(f/SF) - Vernon Gholston DE tOSU - The perfect pick for the pats in my opinion. I hate the idea that we could see him twice a year; it may not happen because I can see gholston going earlier, but once again I didn't wanna make the selections based on what I want.

8. Baltimore- Leodis McKelvin CB Troy - Arguably the best corner in the draft and the ravens have an aging cb group. I don’t like the brohm pick, because I believe Troy Smith, even though not considered by many as a starting QB, showed the team something last year. I believe John Harbaugh will be given a couple years and even though a lot of head coaches like to have their QB on the field, I beleive the ravens will continue to add to what they are known for, their defense. It has come to my attention that no matter who they draft the ravens will be good on defense and terrible on offense, it's written in the stars or something. Kinda like with how the jets used to draft, however they have had 2 good ones in a row, so who knows, maybe the ravens will have an offensive outburst.

9. Cincinnati - Keith Rivers OLB USC - It's not huge news that the bengals need some help on defense, especially with the plethora of LBs who can't seem to stay on the field all season. Rivers is extremely athletic, who has terrific range and showed up in great shape; the added few pounds helped as well.

10. New Orleans - Mike Jenkins CB USF - The saints could definitely has used Keith Rivers, but I don't think they'll complain with getting a top flight CB. I'm not sure how things will shake up, but unless DRC or someone shoots above him Mike Jenkins seems like a nice selection for the saints.

11. Buffalo - Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma - This was my selection for the bills over a month ago and it remains my pick. There recievers, although quick, are fairly diminuitive and need some real size. Malcolm Kelly not only has size, but route running, hands and pretty good body control.

12. Denver - Ryan Clady OT Boise - I know Scott has Merling flying up the board, but I don't see the broncos going that route, that's just me though. I know there were discussions of Kenny Phillips to take the place of the, on the way out John Lynch, but I don't think he's done enough to justify being selected in the upper half of the draft, so for me it is definately going to be Ryan Clady.

13. Carolina - Jeff Otah OT PittBoth OTs are up for Free agency for the panthers and I have a feeling it will go one of two ways; they re-sign Wharton and have Otah play RT or re-sign Gross move him to LT and have Otah play RT until maybe he's ready to play LT. I know gross wants to stay, but unless he can play LT i see signing wharton and otah being a better decision; panthers fans would be able to tell me if gross could make a good LT or not.

14. Chicago - Chris Williams OT Vandy - I like the upside more with williams than I do of Sam Baker; I think baker is a great fit for a ZBS, which unless something changed this offseason, chicago doesn't run. After a good senior bowl I can be confident in this selection without people upset that i passed on Brohm..Theres a possibility Woodson falls to them in the second, but more than likely if they want him they could trade up for him, who knows.

15. Detroit - Aqib Talib CB Kansas - The lions need some help on defense and a CB is a good start for em; if vilma is healthy maybe they could swing a trade with the jets or hold out until next year when Jasper Brinkley and Mauluaga come out.

16. Arizona -Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon - I love this guy and if he puts up a good 40 time he'll shoot up some boards; runs well between the tackles, great size and good vision. I can see him splittin time and learning the game under edge..pretty good value pick.

17. Minnesota - Derrick Harvey DE Florida - I know he may not fall this far, but some year everyone does and although he is viewed as one of the best pass rushers his run game is a big liability. Great value here and will add the lack of a pass rush minny has needed.

18. Houston - Kenny Phillips S UofM - I'll be interested to see his combine and I think this fills a good hole for the texans; they'll need a ballhawk to take advantage of their great pass rush.

19. Philadelphia - Desean Jackson WR Cal - Jackson will be a huge big play threat for the eagles, someone mcnabb can use to stretch the field. He is absolutely electrifying as a punt returner and could make his initial impact felt there.

20. Tampa Bay - Kentwan Balmer DT UNC - I have not seen many bucs games, but all I know is they need some help on the Dline and balmer could turn out to be BPA for a position of need.

21. Washington - Calais Campbell DE Miami - My pick for the skins a month ago and it remains the pick today. Should play great opposite carter.

22. Dallas(f/Cle) - DRC CB Tennessee St. - I don't like predicting trades, so the 'boys are staying with what they've got. DRC could go higher or lower depending on his combine, but this selection gives them a quality player in a position of need. Should play real well opposite newman.

23. Pittsburgh - Gosder Cherilus OT BC - Like Scott said, the steelers have always been able to hang their hat on their tough oline and that’s the way they go. I think it's too early for albert and I think Baker is too finesse for the steelers, gosder will fit right in.

24. Tennessee - Limas Sweed WR Texas - Vince young needs someone to play catch with and he did a pretty good job without a true #1. Sweed's injury really hurt his year, but you gotta like a player who tries to play in the senior bowl and show what he's got even if he's not 100%.

25. Seattle - Martellus Bennett TE Texas A&M - This is going to be my surprise pick. After fred davis weighed in at 6'2 or whatever it was, I got "turned off" on him so to speak. I think Martellus Bennett would be a great addition to this team and I don’t see drafting another RB with Alexander still on the books for a bit. He hasn't played as well as he has since his contract and even when the running game was in the proverbial Shi*ter, holmgren decided to go back to the WCO instead of give morris, who i like a lot by the way, the ball more often. That too me doesn't seem like any indication that they'll draft another RB.

26. Jacksonville - Philip Merling DE Clemson - If he is rising as fast as he seems to be this will be good value at a position of need. The jags need a passrusher and they get a good one.

27. San Diego - Reggie Smith CB/S Oklahoma - I could see getting some 34 DE depth, but the value is good here to improve the safety position. They have a couple good young corners and Smith has the size and ability to play safety.

28. Dallas- Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois - The 'boys get a good selection with their first pick and I think they go offense here. It seems pretty apparent Jones is leaving and personally I would rather have a combination of barber and Mendenhall over McFadden. I don't know if they would have to give up barber to get mcfadden or whatever the trade was, but Barber + Mendenhall is a darn good combo.

29. San Francisco(f/IND) - Quentin Groves OLB Auburn - His toe injury definitely had a huge impact on his season and if he comes close to his 4.4 forty I've heard rumors of than he'll be a great fit for the 9ers as their rush OLB.

30. Green Bay - Patrick Lee CB Auburn - The pack need some cb help outside of harris and so I went that route. I personally feel that it could go this way or another DT/DE, someone to sub with Kampman. It seems as though kampman played entirely too many snaps and was physically warn down towards the end of the year and someone who could rotate with him and not see any drop off in a pass rush would be ideal. I'll leave the pack fans up to decide who theyd rather have.

31. NY Giants - Dan Connor OLB PSU - This seems to be the popular pick for the giants, but I'm not so sure it's the popular pick amongst giants fans. I like the pick and seems like a great coaches guy who has all the tools. He could very well end up going higher, but for now he is my choice.

BaLLiN
02-09-2008, 07:36 PM
31. NY Giants - Dan Connor OLB PSU - This seems to be the popular pick for the giants, but I'm not so sure it's the popular pick amongst giants fans. I like the pick and seems like a great coaches guy who has all the tools. He could very well end up going higher, but for now he is my choice.

Good explanation, including the part where giants fans dont like the pick.

regoob2
02-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Good Bears pick BPA at our biggest need.

d34ng3l021
02-09-2008, 08:12 PM
I dont like Matt Ryan with Darren McFadden, Sedrick Ellis, and Jake Long on the board.

BroadwayJoe10
02-09-2008, 08:18 PM
I dont like Matt Ryan with Darren McFadden, Sedrick Ellis, and Jake Long on the board.

I definately understand that and I could definately see McFadden as the pick, but it just seems all signs point to Matt Ryan, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see someone different. I know it's gotta get annoying seeing the same player over and over again that you don't want; I had the same problem last year when the jets kept getting Leon hall or Greg olson when i desperately wanted revis. We ended up getting him so maybe you guys will get who you want as well.

energizerbunny
02-09-2008, 08:39 PM
where do you think Balmer would fit in the Bucs system? do you see him more of a strongside end or a 3 technique?

I'm not sure the Broncos would go Oline so high since it didn't turn out well last time they did (George Foster) and they have had alot of success with these smaller, overlooked , feisty type guys.

BroadwayJoe10
02-09-2008, 09:02 PM
I honestly think he could play both, although i've see some of the bucs fans compare him to Greg peterson. I think balmer has a bigger upside than peterson and would be very fitting to replace a fellow UNC guy. Regardless, I think he could make his money as a strongside defensive end. He has been stout against the run and shows flashes of good pass rush ability, however that could be do to his mediocre competition. I was considering going the Trevow Laws route after i saw him in the senior bowl, becuase I have a feeling he will make a hell of a 3 technique, but i dont like the value there for him. I also havn't ruled out Dre Moore being an excellent fit on the bucs if he has a good combine, he has all the tools to succeed. So to answer your question, I see him as your new LE who has the ability to slide inside. I wouldn't go DT in the first for the bucs becuase i feel moore and laws could be had in the second.

As of the broncos, I understand Foster didn't work out for them, but I don't like the idea of passing up one of the best players at a position of need just because a guy didn't pan out. The thing that is great about clady is even though he has tremendous size, he has the ahleticism and feet to succeed in denver. Will they go this route?? who knows, but I think it's a distinct possibility if he's available.

GDWTheSickness
02-09-2008, 09:03 PM
lovin DRC and Mendenhall!!!!! +rep

energizerbunny
02-09-2008, 09:13 PM
I honestly think he could play both, although i've see some of the bucs fans compare him to Greg peterson. I think balmer has a bigger upside than peterson and would be very fitting to replace a fellow UNC guy. Regardless, I think he could make his money as a strongside defensive end. He has been stout against the run and shows flashes of good pass rush ability, however that could be do to his mediocre competition. I was considering going the Trevow Laws route after i saw him in the senior bowl, becuase I have a feeling he will make a hell of a 3 technique, but i dont like the value there for him. I also havn't ruled out Dre Moore being an excellent fit on the bucs if he has a good combine, he has all the tools to succeed. So to answer your question, I see him as your new LE who has the ability to slide inside. I wouldn't go DT in the first for the bucs becuase i feel moore and laws could be had in the second.

As of the broncos, I understand Foster didn't work out for them, but I don't like the idea of passing up one of the best players at a position of need just because a guy didn't pan out. The thing that is great about clady is even though he has tremendous size, he has the ahleticism and feet to succeed in denver. Will they go this route?? who knows, but I think it's a distinct possibility if he's available.

I'm not so sure Trevor Laws will be viewed so much of a reach in a month... the guy get swallowed up by the Notre Dame defense this past season, and while he still was able to make a boatload of plays it really did no showcase his skills at all.

He is a natural under tackle, stout, strong at the point of attack and very,very quick off the ball. Its rare to see Dts as fast as him off the ball atleast not get a sniff of the first round. He reminds me of, and I think he may actually be a better prospect then Mike Patterson was when he came out of Southern Cal.

The Clady selection makes sense mainly from the aspect that he has played and succeeded in the ZBS, although I think they've proven in denver they don't need highly drafted Offensive lineman. However if they was one Lineman I could see them drafting in the first 2 rounds it would be Clady.

BroadwayJoe10
02-09-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm not so sure Trevor Laws will be viewed so much of a reach in a month... the guy get swallowed up by the Notre Dame defense this past season, and while he still was able to make a boatload of plays it really did no showcase his skills at all.

He is a natural under tackle, stout, strong at the point of attack and very,very quick off the ball. Its rare to see Dts as fast as him off the ball atleast not get a sniff of the first round. He reminds me of, and I think he may actually be a better prospect then Mike Patterson was when he came out of Southern Cal.

The Clady selection makes sense mainly from the aspect that he has played and succeeded in the ZBS, although I think they've proven in denver they don't need highly drafted Offensive lineman. However if they was one Lineman I could see them drafting in the first 2 rounds it would be Clady.

Good analysis of laws and you know your team more than I do so he'll definately get a better look the next mock I make.

T-RICH49
02-09-2008, 09:57 PM
no complaints about Jake lOng.him or Ellis would make me happy

defensiveback23
02-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Great pick for the Chargers. Smith can step right in at nb and eventually take over s.

Sniper
02-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Next person who puts Jackson to the Eagles will get multiple neg rep from me.

Bills2083
02-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Good Bills pick.

iloxygenil
02-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Ryan is not what the Falcons need, we need defensive and offensive linemen...so...Ellis or Long would be the selection.

BroadwayJoe10
02-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Next person who puts Jackson to the Eagles will get multiple neg rep from me.

I get that you don't like jackson, but I happen to have a high opinion of Jackson, becuase i've watched him a lot the last couple years. If manningham didn't completely dissapear the entire first half of the season I would have had no problem putting him here, he is exactly the type of stretch the field reciever you guys need, but I am having trouble putting him this high right now.

It's apparant you don't like jackson, but for the post combine mock who would you rather have?? I would like to know everyones opinion, in where they think their FO will go.

Sniper
02-09-2008, 10:58 PM
I get that you don't like jackson, but I happen to have a high opinion of Jackson, becuase i've watched him a lot the last couple years. If manningham didn't completely dissapear the entire first half of the season I would have had no problem putting him here, he is exactly the type of stretch the field reciever you guys need, but I am having trouble putting him this high right now.

It's apparant you don't like jackson, but for the post combine mock who would you rather have?? I would like to know everyones opinion, in where they think their FO will go.

First off, I like your explanation. We do need a field stretcher, but I have SERIOUS doubts it will be Jackson. The Eagles are notorious for being unpredictable, but if there is one thing they love, it's linemen. Jevon Kearse and Darren Howard, I expect, will be gone with their huge contracts and piss poor production. Calais Campbell, come on down! Or, if Phillips lasted till 18 ad they didn't trade up a spot for him, I'd murder someone. The Eagles need DE, DB, OL, and WR. Campbell would be awesome, and guys like DRC, Reggie Smith etc... would be too hard to pass on IMO. So any of those or a top OL would be good. The Eagles really don't go after first round wideouts. Not saying I like it, I'm saying it's what it is.

BroadwayJoe10
02-09-2008, 11:02 PM
First off, I like your explanation. We do need a field stretcher, but I have SERIOUS doubts it will be Jackson. The Eagles are notorious for being unpredictable, but if there is one thing they love, it's linemen. Jevon Kearse and Darren Howard, I expect, will be gone with their huge contracts and piss poor production. Calais Campbell, come on down! Or, if Phillips lasted till 18 ad they didn't trade up a spot for him, I'd murder someone. The Eagles need DE, DB, OL, and WR. Campbell would be awesome, and guys like DRC, Reggie Smith etc... would be too hard to pass on IMO. So any of those or a top OL would be good. The Eagles really don't go after first round wideouts. Not saying I like it, I'm saying it's what it is.

I'll be sure to keep it in mind. It will also be alot easier to see how things shake out after the combine/free agency, becuase if the eagles bring in a guy like Bryant Johnson, who i really like, they could go in a completely different direction with this pick. I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of Calais Campbell falling either, I've seen him as a fringe 1st rounder in a lot of recent mocks. I'm not sure if that's just a new trend or if his stock is actually that low. (It would be very interesting to be able to see different teams big boards after the draft is over)

thebow305
02-10-2008, 12:39 AM
ok phins pick

fenikz
02-10-2008, 12:53 AM
For the Cardinals I would take Harvey, Phillips & DRC over Stewart, this class is deep at RB and if you look at the NFL you will realize that about 75% of the starting RB's are not top 15(16) picks, I would rather pick up a guy like Charles or Johnson in the 2nd or Forte, Rice or Choice in the 3rd.

Still a good pick though

Matthew Jones
02-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Good Pats pick.

Menardo75
02-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Awesome 9ers pick pass rush city with Manny

Thunder&Lightning
02-12-2008, 05:49 PM
nice SD pick

summond822
02-12-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm probably one of the few Seahawks fans that would be happy to pass on Mendenhall and take Bennett. I just can't help but think that Bennett is going to rocket up boards at the combine, and I doubt that he is going to make it back to the Seahawks in the second.

Same opinion on Davis...when he came in at under 6'2 I realized that he's probably not the best choice for a red zone TE. Wouldn't mind him if he fell to us in second/third and we got Stewart.

Love your explanation as well, I echo it. I just can't see the Seahawks taking any RB in the first other than Stewart.