PDA

View Full Version : 2008/2009 Season Predictions

Thunder&Lightning
02-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Predictions for the Chargers upcoming season...

KRS1
02-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Talk to me after FA and the draft are over.

I think right now you can say they are the favorite in the AFC West and along with the Patriots and the Colts have as good a chance as anyone to win the AFC but it's way to early to make a solid prediction. Remember the Patriots at this point last year? Good team not amazing though. Then about 2 weeks went by and they had picked up Adalius Thomas, Welker, Moss, Merriweather, Stallworth and Kelley Washington. Changed things a bit didn't it.

Obviously I don't see the Chargers making anything nearly as drastic as that but then again A.J. Smith is about the toughest guy around and he has tons of cap room. If he thinks his window of opportunity is closing especially with LT's career entering it's twilight, I could totally see him making a splash if the right guy hits the market or if a college guy really jumps out at him.

zdh87
02-11-2008, 01:54 PM
How can you say LT's career is entering its twilight? He's 1 year removed from rushing for 31 TDs. He won the rushing title this year if I'm not mistaken?

JK17
02-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Super Bowl Champions. Duh.

KRS1
02-11-2008, 03:22 PM
How can you say LT's career is entering its twilight? He's 1 year removed from rushing for 31 TDs. He won the rushing title this year if I'm not mistaken?

I'm not aiming to slight LT at all. He is going to be 29 this year and how many running backs last very far into their 30's? Not many. I love LT as much as any Charger fan around but it's silly to think he is going to be around forever and it's silly to think that he can keep his current level of play up for more than a couple of more seasons.

defensiveback23
02-11-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm not aiming to slight LT at all. He is going to be 29 this year and how many running backs last very far into their 30's? Not many. I love LT as much as any Charger fan around but it's silly to think he is going to be around forever and it's silly to think that he can keep his current level of play up for more than a couple of more seasons.

The difference between LT and other half backs is the great shape he keeps himself in. He does everything within his power to make sure that he is in top physical form. This has lead to very few and minor injuries in his career and to him not being nearly as beaten up as most 29 year old backs. He also almost never takes big hits because he runs out of bounds or goes down instead of going for a few extra yards. I hear your points but LT should be able to last longer than the average back.

Average OT LB
02-12-2008, 01:15 AM
The difference between LT and other half backs is the great shape he keeps himself in. He does everything within his power to make sure that he is in top physical form. This has lead to very few and minor injuries in his career and to him not being nearly as beaten up as most 29 year old backs. He also almost never takes big hits because he runs out of bounds or goes down instead of going for a few extra yards. I hear your points but LT should be able to last longer than the average back.

Except for him getting his first major injury this past season..

Dont be surprised if LT never regains his form.. Knee injuries are tough stuff.. nearly 30 too.. not good news..

KRS1
02-12-2008, 11:26 AM

The AVG. RB career last about 3 1/2 seasons. LT is what going into his 8th season?

I am not saying he is done you guys, I am saying that we may only have another 2 or 3 seasons (If we are lucky) before he and his body start to show their age.

You can take care of your body all you want and LT does it better than anyone but when 300lbs guys are diving at your legs and falling on top of you at the end of every play you don't score.

The one thing I can say may help prolong LT a little is the fact that Norv Turner seems commited to having the passing game be just as much of a factor as the running game. Marty was content to hand the ball to LT 6,000 times a game but Norv is not.

defensiveback23
02-12-2008, 05:24 PM
There is no use in arguing this since none of us know whats going to happen. I'll give LT the benefit of the doubt due to his work ethic, running style and history that he will continue to be productive until the time he said he wants to retire which is when his contract expires.

zdh87
02-14-2008, 08:39 AM
There is no use in arguing this since none of us know whats going to happen. I'll give LT the benefit of the doubt due to his work ethic, running style and history that he will continue to be productive until the time he said he wants to retire which is when his contract expires.

He has said that he will play for four more years, and that he will not stay in the league to chase the all-time rushing record; however, that does not mean that his production is dwindling or that we have been given any reason to think so.