PDA

View Full Version : Horns 09 Recruits

cdub11
02-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Mack has already picked up committments from Garrett Gilbert, Chris Whaley and Greg Timmons for the 09 class. Good Start!

Newbs24
02-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I really hope Mack does not offer Shepard playing time at QB. He needs to be honest with the kid and tell him that if he comes to UT the chances that he snaps at QB are not going to be good. Russell needs to come to Michigan.

cdub11
02-11-2008, 09:56 AM
i dont think they are offering shepard as a QB, i have heard that they are offering him as an athlete and that is why he hasnt already committed

LonghornsLegend
02-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Gilbert is a pro style qb, so im not exactly the happiest about picking him up...If he isnt a threat to run we might as well take out the zone read option, I liked what I saw from him but in our offense I always prefer guys who have athleticism to make plays, let me see how John Chiles can throw the ball before we ruin his career on the bench, otherwise he needs to be moved to rb or db...

But the class is starting off on the right foot, we would need a few big classes to pass up OU.

cdub11
02-11-2008, 10:30 AM
I have been impressed with Chiles and think he will be the guy after colt, there are a lot of WRs coming in this year and another committ for 09 so if chiles cant get them the ball gilbert is a nice option to have

Newbs24
02-11-2008, 10:32 AM
So far Mack just offered him as an ATH. They want him but at what cost will they go to get him. The kid is unreal on film and is a definite Top 5 player in the 2009 class. I have heard that GG had a tremendous playoff this past year and said he has become a legend because of it. What happend? The kid is good but Shepard is on another level. The dude looks like Mike Vick without killing dogs and all.

P-L
02-11-2008, 10:44 AM
So far Mack just offered him as an ATH. They want him but at what cost will they go to get him. The kid is unreal on film and is a definite Top 5 player in the 2009 class. I have heard that GG had a tremendous playoff this past year and said he has become a legend because of it. What happend? The kid is good but Shepard is on another level. The dude looks like Mike Vick without killing dogs and all.
Shepard loves Texas, and he said he'd be willing to play another position if they asked him to. However, he also really loves Rich Rodriguez and believes he can be the QB at Michigan from day one.

Here is an exciting article:

I would say Texas is still up there, but Michigan is really at the top of my list, especially if they dont get Terrelle Pryor, he told the paper. I feel like I could go there and play right away. Im also looking at Florida and LSU. Both of those schools have pretty good depth-chart situations for me.http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080211/SPORTS06/80210062

504 to ATL
02-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Apparently his Girlfriend goes to LSU so who knows where he will wind up. It seems like a horse race between Mich, and Texas. While LSU is a very distant third.

D-Fence
02-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Mack has generally always said that for the most part, he lets ATH recruits pick the position they want to play to start with, and then they'll move them accordingly if it doesn't or won't pan out. If Shepard commits, it'll probably be him and Gilbert battling for the QB job in the spring after Colt's SR season. Just not sure if I see John Chiles sticking at QB long-term, though I guess he'd have to be in that QB competition when Colt graduated... If Shepard wins the position in the spring, there's his QB job. If he loses, at least he got a chance.

Kid has always said he'd be willing to change positions to play at Texas, so I think right now he's probably still a slight Texas lean. Obviously, it'll hinge pretty heavily on what Terrelle Pryor decides to do.

slightlyaraiderfan
02-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Mack has already picked up committments from Garrett Gilbert, Chris Whaley and Greg Timmons for the 09 class. Good Start!
Thats it? :)

cdub11
02-11-2008, 03:27 PM
haha definately excited about Chris Whaley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpUpwJujEHw

hornjbob
02-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Ive talked to Shep personally and he told me Texas is still his fav school and they offered him but havnt said anything about QB they just offered him didnt say what position and he said he was confused, he said he wont go to a school that wont edleast offer him a chance to play QB, he might come back to texas jr day on the 23rd other than that he wont make a commitment for a good month or two

Rich Jr
02-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Russell will follow the poon. Oh he will follow the poon.

bwillie26
02-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Shepard loves Texas, and he said he'd be willing to play another position if they asked him to. However, he also really loves Rich Rodriguez and believes he can be the QB at Michigan from day one.

Here is an exciting article:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080211/SPORTS06/80210062

PL, save yourself the time and heartache. If Shepard isn't a Horn, I'll eat my shoe. I wear a size 17, so you know I am pretty darn confident in that.

The reality of it is, Shepard wants to be a Horn and the Texas coaches know it as well. That is why you normally only see a few select offers go out to Texas kids each year, especially early.

LonghornsLegend
02-11-2008, 10:34 PM
I would of prefered Shephard anyway, but if that is the case Chiles needs to be featured in the offense somewhat because Id hate to see him as a career backup, he probably could of been the qb at A&M after Mcgee, but its no point in taking two 5* qbs in the same class, somebody will end up transferring(javon snead).

Jericho@SC
02-12-2008, 03:47 AM
If Texas isn't careful, they might end up having more 5 star QBs than USC

reigle9
02-12-2008, 04:50 AM
Texas will have their class filled up before PSU gets around to sending written offers out.

cdub11
02-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Thomas Ashcraft committed to Texas yesterday, Rivals has him in their top 100

Gchu83
02-12-2008, 01:01 PM
If Texas isn't careful, they might end up having more 5 star QBs than USC

I think that's why Shepard isn't a Horn right now. Mack is an honest guy and I don't think he wanted to tell RS that he was going to get an honest shot at QB if he couldn't really give him one.

Mack has had his QB controversy and it is still talked about today, I think that is the one thing he is trying to avoid.

mqtirishfan
02-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Texas and USC are going to be in a battle to the finish for the top recruiting class, I'd imagine. I just hope that Cierre Wood decides that Notre Dame is a better fit for him than 'SC. :D

Jericho@SC
02-14-2008, 03:53 AM
Who is the better prospect between Darrell Scott and Chris Whaley?

I've watched some vid of Whaley, and while he does seem to have a pretty good size/speed combo, Scott has that compact build you like in a runningback at essentially the same weight as Whaley.

cdub11
02-14-2008, 08:45 AM
whaley reminds me of Beanie Wells dont know if thats good comparison or not.... I think Scott will be a star

LonghornsLegend
02-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Who is the better prospect between Darrell Scott and Chris Whaley?

I've watched some vid of Whaley, and while he does seem to have a pretty good size/speed combo, Scott has that compact build you like in a runningback at essentially the same weight as Whaley.

Scott has better accelleration and lateral quickness, but Whaley is a beast and breaks tackles very well, also has excellent vision...Scott is the better prospect right now for college, that could change for the pros...Whaley is a beast in his own right just a different version...Darrell Scott makes me think Larry Johnson, Whaley reminds me of Brandon Jacobs...

class is coming together nice

#1 qb, #1 wr, #1 rb, #1 safety, all top rated guys inthe state...Love that MAck is getting them together now, helps influence other recruits when they see who is already going...something to look forward to because im not expecting any championships with mccoy...

mqtirishfan
02-14-2008, 05:15 PM
whaley reminds me of Beanie Wells dont know if thats good comparison or not.... I think Scott will be a star

If you think he's as good as Beanie, you think he's better than Scott. You must.

However, both Scott and Wells are superior prospects to Whaley.

cdub11
02-15-2008, 08:22 AM
If you think he's as good as Beanie, you think he's better than Scott. You must.

However, both Scott and Wells are superior prospects to Whaley.

i didnt say whaley was better than either of them, he just reminds me of wells with his running style and build

Gchu83
03-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Mack is putting together one of this best classes, both Okafor and Walters are HUGE pickups for the Horns. We just need McFarland to join and I think we'd be set.

cdub11
04-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Mack is putting together one of this best classes, both Okafor and Walters are HUGE pickups for the Horns. We just need McFarland to join and I think we'd be set.

McFarland would be a huge pickup, i think we are leading on Calvin Howell and Devon Kennard was in Austin last weekend and came away impressed

504 to ATL
04-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Im surprised that a few big Texas names are jumping ship to sign out of state this early. Usually Mack locks up Texas tight.

Gchu83
04-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Im surprised that a few big Texas names are jumping ship to sign out of state this early. Usually Mack locks up Texas tight.

Shepard is the only big name to jump OOS, other than him, it seems that Mack has locked up Texas pretty well.

http://texas.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1900

BlueGoldGreen
04-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Not really about recruiting but whats up with Sherrod Harris and GJ Kinne? Are they transferring out or what?

504 to ATL
04-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Well Loston, Pratt, Brockers could all go out of state. Now these guys might not be the number one positional guys Texas was going after but they are all solid.

Having Whaley made going after Pratt foolish, but he could play a number of positions and is a very talented player. Also Christine Michael for that matter. Whaley and him are completely different backs, it never hurts to get the power guy and the speedy guy for your backfield.

Loston is clearly one of the best players in the country.

Brockers would have been the number 2 DE Texas could seek out.

TigerBait45
04-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I've been reading that a few Texas insiders don't think UT is the team to beat for McFarland anymore. They say its LSU right now and Oklahoma is really making a push.

Take that for what its worth though..I don't know that I necessarily believe it.

504 to ATL
04-05-2008, 03:10 AM
I dont believe the ^^ above either.

Gchu83
04-05-2008, 12:31 PM
I've been reading that a few Texas insiders don't think UT is the team to beat for McFarland anymore. They say its LSU right now and Oklahoma is really making a push.

Take that for what its worth though..I don't know that I necessarily believe it.

I'm sure McFarland is truly interested in all 3 teams, he said in an interview that his mom is real high on UT because of the academics and it being in-state. Hopefully he'll listen to mamma just like Darrell Scott did.

LonghornsLegend
04-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Not really about recruiting but whats up with Sherrod Harris and GJ Kinne? Are they transferring out or what?

Sherrod Harris looked excellent in the spring game, alot better then John Chiles, he just looks like a more polished qb and made alot of plays out there...He's a better overall qb then Chiles is right now, and some are open about trying to get Chiles to change his position, he's too much of a talent to waste on the bench , and bump Harris to backup qb behind Colt...Chiles is an athletic guy but he hasnt developed as a qb as well as Harris has, he looks good for us and Im pretty sure Harris wont transfer.

cdub11
04-07-2008, 02:52 PM

Kinne is transferring

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/04/05/0405texfoot.html