View Full Version : Mock Draft Final Write Up - PLEASE READ

wingboy2999
02-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Your NEW Detroit Lions

Via draft pick:

#4 Overall
Glenn Dorsery, Defensive Tackle, LSU
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0906/ncf_w_dorsey_412.jpg

We traded up to get this pick after the offer came to us. We never intended to go this high but when the opportunity presented itself, we had to do it. We traded away Shaun Rogers and were going to try to replace him with a 2nd or 3rd round DT but Dorsey is the prefect replacement. We believe he can play the NT in the Cover 2 and do a great job. The one gripe with Shaun Rogers play was the horrible inconsistency. He’d be dominating one game and horrible the next. We won when he got pressure, lost when he didn’t. Dorsey brings all the same skills and be just as good, if not better, and with a ton more consistency.

#15 Overall
Jonathan Stewart, Running Back, Oregon
http://media.katu.com/images/070901_Jonathan_Stewart.jpg

Another hole that was immediately filled with another player that will probably be better in Jonathan Stewart. We traded Kevin Jones away, not because of a lack of talent, but because we saw him as a damaged player. After missing significant time with lisfranc surgery, he came back and was underutilized in Martz’s offense. At the end of the season he suffered a torn ACL that leaves him possibly unable to be back by training camp. Enter Jonathan Stewart. Stewart is a punishing runner that has great size and very good speed. He can catch from out of the backfield and can almost do anything. With more of an emphasis on running, he will be very valuable.

#51 Overall
Philip Wheeler, Middle Linebacker, Georgia Tech
http://thegooley.com/image/thumb/250-250/1004931.jpg

We managed to get our man even after we risked moving down in a trade. Wheeler is the perfect cover 2 MLB. He has great speed so he can cover the middle of the field. He has the knack for big hits and big plays so he will fit perfectly with Ernie Sims at SLB and Tavares Gooden at SLB. He will instantly become a leader on our transformed defense.

#87 Overall
Chevis Jackson, Cornerback, LSU
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper868/stills/432e32bb8177d-50-1.jpg

Chevis is the prototypical Cover 2 CB. He brings a toughness to this defense that Marinelli will definitely love. One of the weaknesses the Lions D has last season was not being able to tackle anyone. This will not be a problem for Chevis as he is reliable. He doesn’t have great timed speed but will play well in zone coverage.

#91 Overall
Chad Rinehart, Offensive Guard, Northern Iowa
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/niwa/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1364360.jpeg

Ahhhh, the controversial pick. Some may have felt this was a reach, well, screw you, it worked out in the end. This guy is a small school sleeper so he has potential to rise on draft day. He is raw but has the groundwork to be a standout out offensive lineman. He can play both guard and tackle, either side, if needed. With how inconsistent the Lions line is [Woody’s weight, Foster sucking a fat one, etc.], a versatile player is needed and welcome.

#137 Overall
Tavares Gooden, Outside Linebacker, Miami
http://insidetheu.com/images/newspics/20564TavaresGooden.jpg

Well, this was just stupid. The #4 OLB falls all the way to the 5th round. Gooden will step in and immediately start at the SLB, after Paris “Postal Worker” Lenon was pushed from MLB to SLB to the bench. Maybe they’ll rotate. He is fast, athletic and a reliable tackler, a great attribute in this D. He may not make big plays behind the line but that can be left to Wheeler and Sims. A HUGE steal for us.

Via trade:

Bertand Berry, Defensive End
http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2007-w44/img.50429_t.jpg

Acquired from Arizona in the trade down that landed us Wheeler, he almost came, in our eyes, for free. While he has had injury problems, when on the field, he is a starter at DE for us. He can be dominant and that is needed in a Cover 2. He will bring a great pass rush.

Daniel Graham, Tight End
http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2007-w45/img.61160_t.jpg

Graham brings us a player who can catch the ball and will probably come in and start at TE with Dan Campbell coming off injury. He has a championship attitude after winning with the Patriots. He will give us a reliable safety valve for Kitna [and Stanton].

Jason Avant, Wide Reciever
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper851/stills/431e2ee3df765-55-1.jpg

We got Jason Avant cheap and he can come in and compete for the #2 WR position. There have been concerns about Furrey’s performance without Martz and Avant gives us an option if Furrey proves to be a #3 WR. And he’s from U of M….

Overview

We think that this was a great draft for us. We lost 3 starters in Roy, Rogers and KJ. Roy is a big loss but the other two were inconsistent due to injury of just lack of effort. We have brought in 6 new starters to Detroit in Dorsey, Stewart, Wheeler, Gooden, Barry and Graham. Jackson can fight for a starting position as well as he may be suited better for Cover 2 CB then our current players. Rinehart will have a chance to develop.

Overall, our defense is completely changed. Our front seven is completely changed and will be very intense. Our line is going to pressuring the QB, stopping the run and letting our extremely athletic LB corps run amok behind them. This will take pressure off the weakness of the D, the secondary. It showed last season that when we got a pass rush we won. I think we will now get a very nice rush from our front seven. And we will actually tackle someone.

So now we have the fastest LB corps in the NFL. Nicknamed “The Fast Last Name Containing Vowels African American Linebackers”. Acronym is FLNCVAAL, pronounced Falcon Covaal.

PLEASE LEAVE SOME FEEDBACK SINCE I WROTE THAT WHOLE THING

Xiomera
02-12-2008, 07:18 AM
I will give you guys an A for effort. And a B+ for overall drafting and dealing.

Nice work

You guys should post a depth chart.

wingboy2999
02-12-2008, 09:51 AM
I will give you guys an A for effort. And a B+ for overall drafting and dealing.

Nice work

You guys should post a depth chart.

Sounds good to me. I guess we could have gotten an A without Rinehart? Haha. Just look at it as us drafting Gooden in the 3rd and then Rinehart in the 5th. That'll give us an A.

I'll probably do a depth chart later.

Xiomera
02-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Sounds good to me. I guess we could have gotten an A without Rinehart? Haha. Just look at it as us drafting Gooden in the 3rd and then Rinehart in the 5th. That'll give us an A.

I'll probably do a depth chart later.

There was a mass exodus of current roster talent, but we got a lot of younger talent coming in to replace them. You guys chose to go the re-building route, but no one can really blame you. The Lions won't be able to make a serious playoff run until they get a better Quarterback than Jon Kitna. Here's to hoping Stanton can be that guy.

Bootland27
02-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Great Job. Multiple holes were filled on both sides of the ball. The front 7 has been upgraded tremendously. Got a STUD RB who will command a lot of attention and as a result balances the offense, which is exactly what Colleto wants.

The only downfall is that there is still a lack of depth at CB. With Bryant contemplating retirement, along with Wilson and Smith not being effective in the cover 2, getting at least 2 corners (including one surefire starter) was essential.

TacticaLion
02-12-2008, 11:58 AM
The draft was solid. Dorsey is dominant and Wheeler is a great fit at MLB, but Berry is aging and has injury concerns. The DLine is now: White - Dorsey - Redding - Berry... which is... OK. Not great, but OK.

The secondary is still rather weak. Chevis Jackson may not be ready to step into a starting role, and no one is sure how Bullocks will play after the injury. That leaves us with a similar group to last year's unit.

The receiving unit was weakened, but I'm not so sure the group of RBs was improved. KJones, when healthy, is a great RB... and this injury was less severe than the injury last year. He has a drive and a punishing running style, and would be happier here without Martz. I can see him having a great year this year and resigning. Graham should help, and Avant offers us more than just another return option. The starting OLine group wasn't touched.

Overall, I give it a C+. The DLine isn't a dominant unit and the secondary is not much improved... two things that killed us last year. I also don't think Stewart is THAT much better than a healthy KJones. Wing: Add that Avant is a good KR/PR... would help your case... and Sims plays WLB. Other than that, good write-up.

wingboy2999
02-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Ok, I don't agree with the C+ at all. You seem to be treating the players like they play 100% all of the time, which they sure as hell don't. Roy was the only one capable of doing anything consistently. Rogers would not do it because of effort and injury and everything else. KJ would not do it because of injury.

We need consistency. We played very well when we had a pass rush [aka Rogers playing well] and nothing when we didn't [aka Rogers not doing anything and being gassed]. If Rogers could have been 100% all of the time then we'd never entertain the thought of trading Rogers.

Offense: Yeah, our WRs took a step back, obviously. And yes, KJ can be a great back. Can being the operative word. But he is damaged goods to an extent. He has two injuries to his legs which are going to hobble him and get worse. He was still feeling the effects from his foot surgery last season. Jonathan Stewart is going to be a great back. I have him damn near DMC as far as RBs go. Stewart will be there game in and game out. He will be very effective in our new balanced attack [thus lessening the need of two #1 WRs]. The offense will be good. Oh, and we traded for Nat Dorsey, a young LT. Avant and Graham will give us more help out there.

OL: We got a OT/OG in Rinehart and Nat Dorsey for OT. We think that we will be fine with a less complex offense and less time for our QB to be put on his ass. We started putting it together at the end of the season. I think it'll round into shape.

Front Seven: I disagree big time. Again, it comes down to consistency. Dorsey will be as good, if not better, then Rogers. And he'll be there game in and game out. He won't be ridiculously out of shape. Berry obviously has injury concerns but he can be dominant when playing. We will get a consistent pass rush with our D-Line. You even said it, with a good LB corps out D will be much better. Sims - Wheeler - Gooden >>> Sims - Lenon - Whoever. They will be making plays all over the place. When the front seven played well last season we went 6-2. And then they sucked and we sucked. Well, they are much improved.

Secondary: Obviously this isn't much improved but like I said, front seven takes pressure off of them. Chevis is the best fit for the Cover 2 out of the guy we got so that is what we got. Our weakness only showed when our front seven sucked. Remember, we were near the tops in the NFL in takeaways for a long time. It won't be exposed if we get a pass rush, which I think we have.

wingboy2999
02-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Nat Dorsey, Offensive Tackle
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/graphics/images/7928.pgt.jpg

We received Nat Dorsey in a deal for Tatum Bell. Tatum Bell wanted out so we accommodated him. Dorsey plays OT for the Browns and has been pushed aside with the arrival of Joe Thomas. He still has potential and is only 24 years old. He will provide some competition in our OT position.

TacticaLion
02-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Ok, I don't agree with the C+ at all. You seem to be treating the players like they play 100% all of the time, which they sure as hell don't. Roy was the only one capable of doing anything consistently. Rogers would not do it because of effort and injury and everything else. KJ would not do it because of injury.

We need consistency. We played very well when we had a pass rush [aka Rogers playing well] and nothing when we didn't [aka Rogers not doing anything and being gassed]. If Rogers could have been 100% all of the time then we'd never entertain the thought of trading Rogers.

Offense: Yeah, our WRs took a step back, obviously. And yes, KJ can be a great back. Can being the operative word. But he is damaged goods to an extent. He has two injuries to his legs which are going to hobble him and get worse. He was still feeling the effects from his foot surgery last season. Jonathan Stewart is going to be a great back. I have him damn near DMC as far as RBs go. Stewart will be there game in and game out. He will be very effective in our new balanced attack [thus lessening the need of two #1 WRs]. The offense will be good. Oh, and we traded for Nat Dorsey, a young LT. Avant and Graham will give us more help out there.

OL: We got a OT/OG in Rinehart and Nat Dorsey for OT. We think that we will be fine with a less complex offense and less time for our QB to be put on his ass. We started putting it together at the end of the season. I think it'll round into shape.

Front Seven: I disagree big time. Again, it comes down to consistency. Dorsey will be as good, if not better, then Rogers. And he'll be there game in and game out. He won't be ridiculously out of shape. Berry obviously has injury concerns but he can be dominant when playing. We will get a consistent pass rush with our D-Line. You even said it, with a good LB corps out D will be much better. Sims - Wheeler - Gooden >>> Sims - Lenon - Whoever. They will be making plays all over the place. When the front seven played well last season we went 6-2. And then they sucked and we sucked. Well, they are much improved.

Secondary: Obviously this isn't much improved but like I said, front seven takes pressure off of them. Chevis is the best fit for the Cover 2 out of the guy we got so that is what we got. Our weakness only showed when our front seven sucked. Remember, we were near the tops in the NFL in takeaways for a long time. It won't be exposed if we get a pass rush, which I think we have.Yeah... and you seem to be treating rookies like they can, undoubtedly, perform in the NFL.

I didn't expect you to agree with (or like) my ranking... but I haven't found a reason to change it.

You're putting a lot of stock into the play of (many) rookies. It takes at least a year for a player to understand the Cover 2, and usually half a year for an offensive player to understand enough of the play book to step in comfortably.

Although Rogers was out of shape and didn't play quite a few snaps, he still recorded 7 sacks, 1 FF and an INT... which is a solid season. I don't think you can say with certainty that Dorsey would outperform him.

I didn't know about Nat Dorsey before my ranking, but I don't think it changes much. Sure, he adds depth... but I don't think a player that started only 9 games of his 4 year NFL career will come in and solidify a struggling OLine.

KJones recovered far ahead of schedule and was explosive last year. We also have Duckett, who is solid, and Calhoun. I'm not ready to trade KJ and revamp the RB group... especially with a 1st round pick.

And... Berry. I would've rather drafted Gholston and trade for an aging NT than draft Dorsey and trade for an aging DE. He isn't the answer.

At one point, you had 4 2nd round picks... which could've left us with Phillip Merling, Patrick Lee, Felix Jones, Philip Wheeler and Trevor Laws (and Chevis Jackson in round 3)... our Cover 2 DT, a pass-rushing DE, a Cover 2 MLB, 2 true Cover 2 CBs and a solid RB.

The draft was OK... but I don't think it was great.

Prowler
02-12-2008, 01:59 PM
i'm with you guys who drafted everybody
i love the new dline-white dorsey redding berry looks good at both pass/run
love the new linebackers, absolutely stole gooden
get an elite rb from this year's class to replace KJ
love graham
oline doesn't concern me as much because kitna won't have to look 20yrds downfield every snap anymore

*also, i normally only expect about 3 guys to pan out in any given draft, so the addition of a proven vet like graham along with berry to plug into the dline helps a ton. so instead of statistically hitting on probably just DT, one of our LBs, RB, and probably CB, we can add TE and RE filled aswell. and i like both LBs so probably a plus at 7 positions and helping special teams out with depth. i don't expect a championship next year, but it should speed up the current 50 year plan.

lionsfan81
02-12-2008, 02:11 PM
so im not sure if I missed something, but did you make this all up yourself? I mean obviously it would be great but let's be honest none of this will even happen hahaha At best we get Chevis Jackson out of all those players there. Sorry im just being realistic

wingboy2999
02-12-2008, 02:19 PM
so im not sure if I missed something, but did you make this all up yourself? I mean obviously it would be great but let's be honest none of this will even happen hahaha At best we get Chevis Jackson out of all those players there. Sorry im just being realistic

It's called a mock draft. Welcome to the forums, ha.

And yeah, I know all this wouldn't happen in real life. I wish though.

wingboy2999
02-12-2008, 02:25 PM
i'm with you guys who drafted everybody

Thank you very much.

Addict
02-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Good draft, would please many. How we got number four puzzles me somewhat.

wingboy2999
02-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Good draft, would please many. How we got number four puzzles me somewhat.

Trading Roy and Rogers got us 3. But then the trade up to #4 fell into our lap and we thought he had to take it since it was great value.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-12-2008, 03:49 PM
I thought it was a good effort. I think the 2008 Lions won't be very good in this scenario because we are relying on so many rookies as Tactica said, but over time we have some very good building blocks signed long term. Just because we got someone in a certain Round doesn't make them a starter obviously. CJ wasn't even a starter. It was a rebuilding type draft.

Glen Dorsey in all likelihodd wouldn't outperform what Rogers could do for us in 2008. It really takes D-linemen 1 whole year before they are effective. Plus I'm still not sold as Dorsey as a NT. But we'll find that out down the line in Dorseys career.

Losing Roy is a big hit. Some people think McDonald,Furrey and CJ can do it. I'm not one of those people(especially with Kitna), but we got good value for him in this mock draft so I can't complain

In terms of realistic, it would never happen because I don' think you can trade injured players. KJ as part of any deal just couldn't happen until he passes a physical, which he won't be healthy in April. And the trading of unrestricted free agents makes these drafts incredibly unrealistic. But they are still fun to think about. Good job. B+

Brothgar
02-12-2008, 07:15 PM
OK wingboy and WMD put a lot of work into this so I'm going to put a lot of effort into the grading of this draft I'm going to go over each trade and each pick. All of my analysis is based on my opinions of the players and picks by which I mean that some things I may say can't be proven but I'm pretty sure can't be disproved either

Lions Receive:
Pick #34 (Traded in Glen Dorsey Trade)

Rams Receive:
DT Shaun Rogers
Pick #108 (Drew Radovich OG/Southern California) [Could have been Bruce Davis, Owen Schmitt, or DeJuan Tribble]

Trade Grade -A: I have a feeling this is 10X more than the Lions will get for Shaun Rogers, a disgruntled, overweight, and lazy player whom already has a drug policy violation. He can be dominant at times but not worth the grief.

Browns Receive:
WR Roy Williams

Lions Receive:
Pick #36 (Traded in Glen Dorsey Trade)
Pick #57 ( Traded to Chicago)

Trade Grade B: Roy wants out and has 1 year left right now this is about 2X as much as current market value.

Lions Receive:
#4 Overall (Glen Dorsey) [ Could have been: Vernon Goldstein or DMC]

Chiefs Receive:
#34 Overall (Branden Albert OG/Virgnia) [Could have been: Felix Jones, Sam Baker, or Antoine Cason)

#36 Overall (Traded to Washington) [Could have been: Chris Johnson, Sam Baker, or Antoine Cason)

#77 Overall (Andre Woodson QB/Kentucky) [Could have been: Frank Okam]
RB Kevin Jones (Oft injured RB who doesn't want to be here)
DE Kalimba Edwards (A guy who does want to be here but is likely to be cut)

Trade Grade C : I don't think I trade Sam Baker, Antoine Cason and Frank Okam for Dorsey the only move that I really would have went another direction but of course hindsight is always 20/20.

Lions Receive:
#76 Overall (Traded to Denver) [Could have been: really no one]
#91 Overall (Chad Rinehart OL/Northern Iowa)
#137 Overall (Jason Avant)

Bears Receive:
#57 Overall (Chad Henne QB/Michigan) [Could have been Charles Godfrey]

Trade Grade B-/+C: I'm torn on this trade but since 76 is traded for Daniel Graham I'd lean towards B-.

My eyes hurt so I'll finish this including picks later

TacticaLion
02-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Nice breakdown Broth... well done.

wingboy2999
02-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Like you said, hindsight is 20/20 so you can't do the "Oh, you could have got this guy there". Each pick has an effect on other picks. So while you can break it down that way, I don't think you should. You never know that people are going to fall so you can't look back on it that way with you could have gotten this guy here. You look at the spot and spot alone. You have no idea who is going to drop and who will be reached for so that, in my opinion, is not a good way to look at this.

And we weren't going to look at McFadden at #4. We felt that whatever defensive player we got at #4 and RB at #15 was MUCH better then going RB at #4 and chancing a guy at #15. Harvey was gone by #15 and he was the only guy who we thought would be good value [defensively] there.

Brothgar
02-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Like you said, hindsight is 20/20 so you can't do the "Oh, you could have got this guy there". Each pick has an effect on other picks. So while you can break it down that way, I don't think you should. You never know that people are going to fall so you can't look back on it that way with you could have gotten this guy here. You look at the spot and spot alone. You have no idea who is going to drop and who will be reached for so that, in my opinion, is not a good way to look at this.

And we weren't going to look at McFadden at #4. We felt that whatever defensive player we got at #4 and RB at #15 was MUCH better then going RB at #4 and chancing a guy at #15. Harvey was gone by #15 and he was the only guy who we thought would be good value [defensively] there.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that I'd rather have said player when I say "Could have been" I am simply giving an example of who was around at that pick to give a sense of what could have been. I'm all with you that I'd much rather have Dorsey than both Goldston (sp?) and DMC for reasons I'll talk about later (most likely tomorrow)

wingboy2999
02-12-2008, 10:25 PM
It's actually Goldstein.

Brothgar
02-12-2008, 10:33 PM
It's actually Goldstein.

HE'S JEWISH!!!! Mosletov (sp?)!

wingboy2999
02-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Actually it's more an inside joke between WMD and I.

WMD
02-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Vernon Goldstein is my accountant.

wingboy2999
02-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Vernon Goldstein

Strengths: Balances a mean check book. Knows the in's and out's of tax law. Wearing sweet glasses. Has a pocket protector.

Weaknesses: Schvitzing a lot. Gobbly gook. Deli sandwiches.

Addict
02-13-2008, 04:46 AM
HE'S JEWISH!!!! Mosletov (sp?)!

Mazzeltov I think.

Whitebull
02-13-2008, 10:00 AM
That was an excellent draft.

Dorsey and Stewart are significant upgrades in my opinion. Wheeler is a great fit and good value. Jackson, Rinehart and Gooden are great depth pics, the right positions to draft later on then.

What did Berry and Graham cost?

With this draft we'd need to sign a good CB AND a pass-rusher in free agency, AND re-sign Woody/find a new RT. Not enough was done to address those positions. But I'd be very happy to broom Shaun, KJ and Roy out of town and replace them with Dorsey, Stewart, and quality picks and free agents. We have to continue to change the culture here.

wingboy2999
02-13-2008, 12:35 PM
What did Berry and Graham cost?

We got Berry by trading down from #45 to #51. I was going to take Wheeler at 45 but got him at 51 anyway. So Berry came, basically, for free.

ironman4579
02-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Here's my take. I like the players we got, I'm just not necessarily sure I like the way we got them. Basically we traded away a DT and RB to take a DT and RB in the first round. Now I agree that Dorsey and Stewart are upgrades over Rogers and KJ, just because KJ has had trouble staying healthy, and Rogers is lazy and out of shape. That said, we don't really know what we'd be getting with those two guys either. I find teams usually trade away starters because they have young studs already on their rosters, and then trade up to fill other areas of need, not create that need by trading players away, just to take the players in the newfound area of need.

That said, I like the picks. I'm not as high on Dorsey as some, but if nothing else he has good gap control skills and should be able to at least stay in the game. As long as Stewart stayed healthy, he'd probably be an upgrade over KJ, although I'm a big KJ supporter.

Wheeler was a great pick. No complaint here. He and Sims would be a fantastic LB pair, with great speed and big play ability.

I'm skipping some picks here, but whatever.

The Gooden pick is great value because of where you got him. I actually think he's pretty overrated right now because he played for Miami, and I certainly wouldn't call him the #4 LB in the draft. I might not even call him the #4 OLB in the draft. However, getting him in the 5th was something of a steal, because I think he could have gone as high as the 3rd, and he brings more speed and athleticism to what would be one of the better and more exciting young LB groups in the league.

wingboy2999
02-14-2008, 06:46 PM
#170 Overall
Tyvon Branch, Cornerback, Connecticut
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/AllStories/MFootball/2007/09/29/branch.jpg

Branch fits two needs for the Detroit Lions. He has the size and strength necessary to be a Cover 2 CB at 6'0" 193. He is not shy to contact logging 89 tackles playing in the secondary. He also makes plays with his feet and fills the need of a KR. He had 2 97 yard kick returns for UConn and was named all Big East KR. He led the Big East with a 28.0 yard return average. He will help out the return unit of Detroit as it has been lacking.

#201 Overall
Darius Reynaud, Wide Receiver, West Virginia
http://www.msnsportsnet.com/content/DariusReynaud112506.jpg

Another player with return skills is brought in to shore up the special team play of the Lions. Reynaud is a big play threat and can make people miss in space. He is expected to run in the 4.42-4.45 range at the combine. He has become more physical as of late. He started 3 years at the slot position and contribute in the same manner for the Lions.

#207 Overall
Chauncey Washington, Running Back, USC
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site181/2006/1105/20061105_090313_stanford_washington_GALLERY.jpg

After the Lions traded away Kevin Jones and Tatum Bell, with the future of Brian Calhoun up in the air, a 3rd RB was needed. Washington will fill that role. He has great size and uses it well in breaking tackles and running inside. He has shown improved ability in bouncing it outside. He is a versatile player, lining up at FB and in the slot during the senior bowl. He can possibly be a receiving FB if the need arises. He has better football ahead of him.

wingboy2999
02-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Toon's review of our draft

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showpost.php?p=896446&postcount=3

Brothgar
02-15-2008, 01:03 AM
OK wingboy and WMD put a lot of work into this so I'm going to put a lot of effort into the grading of this draft I'm going to go over each trade and each pick. All of my analysis is based on my opinions of the players and picks by which I mean that some things I may say can't be proven but I'm pretty sure can't be disproved either

Lions Receive:
Pick #34 (Traded in Glen Dorsey Trade)

Rams Receive:
DT Shaun Rogers
Pick #108 (Drew Radovich OG/Southern California) [Could have been Bruce Davis, Owen Schmitt, or DeJuan Tribble]

Trade Grade -A: I have a feeling this is 10X more than the Lions will get for Shaun Rogers, a disgruntled, overweight, and lazy player whom already has a drug policy violation. He can be dominant at times but not worth the grief.

Browns Receive:
WR Roy Williams

Lions Receive:
Pick #36 (Traded in Glen Dorsey Trade)
Pick #57 ( Traded to Chicago)

Trade Grade B: Roy wants out and has 1 year left right now this is about 2X as much as current market value.

Lions Receive:
#4 Overall (Glen Dorsey) [ Could have been: Vernon Goldstein or DMC]

Chiefs Receive:
#34 Overall (Branden Albert OG/Virgnia) [Could have been: Felix Jones, Sam Baker, or Antoine Cason)

#36 Overall (Traded to Washington) [Could have been: Chris Johnson, Sam Baker, or Antoine Cason)

#77 Overall (Andre Woodson QB/Kentucky) [Could have been: Frank Okam]
RB Kevin Jones (Oft injured RB who doesn't want to be here)
DE Kalimba Edwards (A guy who does want to be here but is likely to be cut)

Trade Grade C : I don't think I trade Sam Baker, Antoine Cason and Frank Okam for Dorsey the only move that I really would have went another direction but of course hindsight is always 20/20.

Lions Receive:
#76 Overall (Traded to Denver) [Could have been: really no one]
#91 Overall (Chad Rinehart OL/Northern Iowa)
#137 Overall (Jason Avant)

Bears Receive:
#57 Overall (Chad Henne QB/Michigan) [Could have been Charles Godfrey]

Trade Grade B-/+C: I'm torn on this trade but since 76 is traded for Daniel Graham I'd lean towards B-.

My eyes hurt so I'll finish this including picks later

Lions Receive:
# 51 Overall (Phillip Wheeler LB/Georgia Tech)
DE Bertrand Berry

Cardinals Receive:
#46 Overall (John Carlson TE/Notre Dame)

Grade A: The Lions drop 5 spots to get the guy you wanted and pick up a DE who can serve as a stop-gap to let IAF develop one more year while getting playing time. Great move here.

Lions Receive:
WR Jason Avant

Eagles Receive:
#137 Overall (Peyton Hills HB/Arkansas) [Could have been Owen Schmitt]

Grade B: Pretty good trade even in hindsight. Avant is better than any WR that could be taken in the 5th round.

Broncos Receive:
#76 Overall (Heath Benedict)

Lions Receive:
#87 Overall (Chevis Jackson)
TE Daniel Graham

Grade A-: With this trade we once again take the player we want while obtaining another TE to complement Dan Campbell.

Lions Receive:
OT Nat Dorsey
7th Round Pick

Browns Receive:
RB Tatum Bell

Grade B: Got rid of a player who is done in a lions uni for a backup tackle who may be a starting RT or at least fighting Stewart for it.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Pick Grades

Here I critique the picks at the pick who I would like to have had but the trades take no presence here.

Round 1 Pick 4: Glenn Dorsey DT/Louisiana State | Pick Grade A:

At this pick in the draft there is no one I'd rather have than Dorsey AND he is a good influence that the lions locker room needs desperately.

Round 1 Pick 15: Jonathan Stewart RB/Oregon | Pick Grade A:

At 15 there is no one on the board that I'd rather have than Jonathan Stewart. Otah is gone and you can't reach for a player in the Defense here so I see no reason that Stewart would not be the pick at 15.

Round 2 Pick Phillip Wheeler LB/Georgia Tech | Grade A:

At this pick I'd much rather have the best ILB (except Connor if he is one) than the 6th best CB who would be my second pick kudos on this pick guys.

Round 3 Pick Chevis Jackson CB/Louisiana State | Grade A:

A great CB who is great in our scheme whats not to love it is also an area of desperate need.

Round 3 Pick Chad Rinehart OL/Northern Iowa | Grade B:
OK pick but I overall say meh to this pick he is a backup in whatever position in the O-Line he happens to land at.

Round 5 Pick Tavares Gooden LB/Da U | Grade makes me happy in my pants:

A OLB of his caliber in the 5th round shouldn't be allowed by law. Quite possibly the biggest steal in the draft should have been a 3rd rounder in the 5th WOOT to you.

The last 3 picks are really of no consequence there is no knowing who is going to be good in the 6th and 7th round it is a craps shoot.

Overall

Detroit Lions

Additions via trade:

Bertrand Berry DE/Cardinals
Daniel Graham TE/Broncos
Jason Avant WR/Eagles
Nat Dorsey OT/Browns

Subtractions via trade:

Roy Williams WR/Browns
Shaun Rogers DT/Rams
Kalimba Edwards DE/Chiefs
Kevin Jones RB/Chiefs
Tatum Bell RB/Browns

Additions via Draft:

#4 Overall - Glenn Dorsery DT/LSU
#15 Overall - Jonathan Stewart RB/Oregon
#51 Overall - Philip Wheeler MLB/Georgia Tech
#87 Overall - Chevis Jackson CB/LSU
#91 Overall - Jason Rinehart OG/Northern Iowa
#137 Overall - Tavares Gooden OLB/Miami
#170 Overall - Tyvon Branch CB/Connecticut
#201 Overall - Darius Reynaud WR/West Virginia
#207 Overall - Chauncey Washington RB/USC

What got better: DT, RB, CB, TE, ILB, OLB

What got worse: WR

Holes left unfilled: O-Line

Final Thoughts: They went the rebuild rout here and I can't blame them and most of us believe that is the direction that the Lions should go in. Overall I believe that the drafting of Wingboy and WMD was a rousing success not perfect but if this draft were to happen in real life I would be more than happy with it and excited about the next 5 years of Lions football.

Final Grade: B+

J-Hype
02-15-2008, 01:27 AM
i like it would of rather kept roy though

Addict
02-15-2008, 02:22 PM
i like it would of rather kept roy though

why? He's gonna bolt in one season, so get what you can for him.