PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com's Charles Davis NFC North picks

Addict
02-13-2008, 01:36 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d806a7d2e

An interesting video, Davis has:

Packers select Malcolm Kelly, WR, to give Favre, who he thinks wil return, another toy.

Vikes select Dan Connor, ILB, saying he should play inside next to Greenway

Bears select Ryan Clady, OT for obvious reasons

most important for us of course: Lions select Rashard Mendenhall, RB his reasoning is the hiring of Colletto as OC dictates a re-commitment to the run, and that Kevin Jones just hasn't been healthy enough.

I can't fight the logic behind the pick, even though I do believe defense is the more concerning issue. However, I cannot disagree with the pick since I love Mendenhall's style.

What do you guys think?

WMD
02-13-2008, 01:54 AM
Wha.. why would the Packers pick a Receiver in Round 1?? They've got Donald Driver, James Jones, and Greg Jennings. That is more than adequate. I wouldn't even consider that a Day One need.

On to the Lions though.. Eh, RB is a need.. I'd rather address it in Free Agency. If we don't, I still see Defense as our #1 Priority. Consider it in Round 2 if there's someone there, but I'd still rather draft Defense there too. I'd actually be cool with using TJ Duckett as our starter if we were able to draft someone like Chris Johnson in Round 3.

Addict
02-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Wha.. why would the Packers pick a Receiver in Round 1?? They've got Donald Driver, James Jones, and Greg Jennings. That is more than adequate. I wouldn't even consider that a Day One need.

On to the Lions though.. Eh, RB is a need.. I'd rather address it in Free Agency. If we don't, I still see Defense as our #1 Priority. Consider it in Round 2 if there's someone there, but I'd still rather draft Defense there too. I'd actually be cool with using TJ Duckett as our starter if we were able to draft someone like Chris Johnson in Round 3.

Well in order for Davis' prediction to pan out obviously the rest of the picks will have to be defensive. On the other hand I do think it's a viable option.

Mendenhall in the first, we'll get a late first/early second for Roy (if indeed he is traded) making room for an OLB like Henderson or even a pass-rushe like... I don't know anyone, but there's surely someone, like Calais maybe who'll fall a bit. Okay try this one on for size.

Dallas Cowboys trade first round pick (28th overall) to Detroit Lions for WR Roy Williams

1/15 Rashard Mendenhall
1/28 Calais Campbell
2/15 Erin Henderson
3/15 Cason, King, Godfrey whoever falls

Lions trade Shaun Rogers' useless fat ass to some team in need of a fat idiot in the middle for a late third

3/late Some other corner.

Dang. RB, DE, OLB, CB, CB draft right there.

We won't be a viable .500 team next year, but who's expecting that ayways. We'll have an oppertunity to draft either OL or, if possible one of those two fantastic ILB talents (Maualugass and Laurinatitties)

Crazy_Chris
02-13-2008, 02:07 AM
I lost any respect I had for Charles Davis when he said the Vikings should take Dan Connor to play MLB after E.J. Henderson had a great year.

I also don't see the packers taking Malcolm Kelly at all.

Addict
02-13-2008, 02:12 AM
I lost any respect I had for Charles Davis when he said the Vikings should take Dan Connor to play MLB after E.J. Henderson had a great year.

I also don't see the packers taking Malcolm Kelly at all.

his reasoning does make sense. Come draft day Connor at 17 might be considered a HUGE steal. I do think if he is the Lions will have picked him up at 15 before he falls to the Vikes.

Crazy_Chris
02-13-2008, 02:19 AM
Steal or not LB is one of the Vikings strongest units behind only RB. Greenway had a very good year at WOLB, E.J. Henderson had a monster year at MLB, and Ben Leber had a very good year too at SOLB. While I agree he will be gone before we pick I would be absolutly stunned if the vikings drafted him.

Addict
02-13-2008, 02:41 AM
Steal or not LB is one of the Vikings strongest units behind only RB. Greenway had a very good year at WOLB, E.J. Henderson had a monster year at MLB, and Ben Leber had a very good year too at SOLB. While I agree he will be gone before we pick I would be absolutly stunned if the vikings drafted him.

haha well I suppose safety, corner or wide receiver (especially WR) makes more sense.

Prowler
02-13-2008, 06:19 AM
lol, is favre james bond? driver, jennings, jones, lee, koren robinson, i'm surprised he didn't say they might as well draft mendenhall to shore up that run game too.

wingboy2999
02-13-2008, 12:37 PM
his reasoning does make sense. Come draft day Connor at 17 might be considered a HUGE steal. I do think if he is the Lions will have picked him up at 15 before he falls to the Vikes.

I wonder what Tactica thinks....

Addict
02-13-2008, 01:31 PM

probably something in the line of "Go Lions"

wingboy2999
02-13-2008, 06:11 PM
probably something in the line of "Go Lions"

I wonder if that is true.... hmmm.

Xiomera
02-13-2008, 08:48 PM

He would probably, in a round-about way, make a comment about D-Unit being a moron.

[oh wait, he already did that, lol]

WMD
02-13-2008, 10:28 PM

Imagine a LB group of ESims and DConnor.. SICK.

Addict
02-14-2008, 02:30 AM
He would probably, in a round-about way, make a comment about D-Unit being a moron.

[oh wait, he already did that, lol]

he's feelin' the pressure now, looking to repeat that feat.

Kid_Ego
02-14-2008, 11:03 PM
I wouldnt be shocked if the lions ended up with McFadden. First and used the rest of the draft to draft defense

Kid_Ego
02-14-2008, 11:06 PM
I truly feel any team who has Marrtz as their offensive coordinator is going to have a bad defense the guy either throws the ball so much the games is extended by an hour. and when your offense is inconsitant and goes three and out then your defense is exhausted by half time. Mike Martz may be able to draw up great plays but his play calling stinks. just look when he had the greatest show on turf the defense wasnt that bad the year before but as soon as martz gets in there and throws the ball every down the clock stops and the defense gets hammered with 10-15 minute drives look in either super bowl the one they one and the one they lost it was either a td or a 3 and out.

WMD
02-15-2008, 04:14 AM
I wouldnt be shocked if the lions ended up with McFadden. First and used the rest of the draft to draft defense

At #15 Overall? And if we trade up for McFadden, we won't have many picks left to use on defense.

wingboy2999
02-15-2008, 10:32 AM
he's feelin' the pressure now, looking to repeat that feat.

I'M SURE HE IS!

Footballer
02-15-2008, 12:19 PM
I would like to see a the Lion's sure up the O line. I said last year AND the year before that having all the fire power we have does us nothing with the QB on his back. I like Mendenhall's style as well, but we also are getting torched in the D backfield and our LB's are continually the first line of defense and that hurts us tremendously....one more thing; why are they talking about Pacman Jones and Detroit in the same sentence?? Pardon the pun.

Geo
02-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Personally, I can't stand that idiot at all. He's the NFL Network's equivalent of Todd McShay when it comes to the Draft, and I don't want to listen to any college football games he's in the booth in. He couldn't make a good and intelligent point if his life depended on it, and he's just so annoying.

Those picks are awful and/or unrealisitc except for the Mendenhall/Lions pick. I guess a blind squirrel does find a nut eventually.

Addict
02-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Personally, I can't stand that idiot at all. He's the NFL Network's equivalent of Todd McShay when it comes to the Draft, and I don't want to listen to any college football games he's in the booth in. He couldn't make a good and intelligent point if his life depended on it, and he's just so annoying.

Those picks are awful and/or unrealisitc except for the Mendenhall/Lions pick. I guess a blind squirrel does find a nut eventually.

Well I posted it just because SOMEONE had Mendenhall in Detroit. The other picks were there for if the vid didn't work, and to give a complete image.

Brothgar
02-15-2008, 01:46 PM
I must say that every year it seems that we always end up forgetting aboot the O-line for a "sexier" prospect (RB, Corner, LBer, WR) there is a reason why you will rarely see a top OL-man in FA. IF Otah is there at 15 I can't see how we pass on the guy.

Geo
02-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Gotcha. I've actually been saying for a while that I suspect Millen takes Mendenhall, so I agree with that particular pick.

I know the Lions desperately want to bring in talent at cornerback, but the 16th overall pick is too early for a Cover 2/Tampa 2 corner and there are some good prospects for that scheme later on, from Round 2 on. This is a deep draft, hopefully they don't screw it up by overreacting.

If I were to focus defensively at #16, it would be defensive end. That's a more premium position for the defense. Of course the Lions' decision-makers last year used a 2nd round pick on Alama-Francis and signed Dewayne White in free agency, those are valuable resources (money, high draft pick) that should be producing returns if they are going to be used.

But I agree that left tackle is the biggest need for the Lions. Drafting a legit guy (ex. Chris Williams at #16) and moving Bachus to right tackle where he belongs would do a lot for the offense imo. It would make the most out of Kitna, who might not play two full seasons otherwise if he's getting battered and harassed, and the skill position players the Lions have outside. But whatever their reason(s), I don't see the Lions doing that unfortunately.

Addict
02-15-2008, 02:07 PM
I must say that every year it seems that we always end up forgetting aboot the O-line for a "sexier" prospect (RB, Corner, LBer, WR) there is a reason why you will rarely see a top OL-man in FA. IF Otah is there at 15 I can't see how we pass on the guy.

We can and will pass on Otah.

OC prioritized RB.

now if we get some kind of linebacking talent this year around (think Erin Henderson-like) I would be Michael Oher's top advocate next year. Or any other OT or OG. Thing is the line looked worse than it actually was last year.

Mark my words: Otah will not be our first round selection.

neko4
02-15-2008, 02:12 PM
I wanna sue charles davis. not quite sure what for, but i'll figure something out. Seriously a WR?
Driver
Jennings
Jones
Martin
Robinson
Lee

You could argue that GB has a top 5 WR core
Swear to god, some people like him shouldnt be on tv. I can see Detroit getting a RB, but i also feel they have alot of holes on defense, plus the oline is atroucious (spelling?)

Addict
02-15-2008, 02:19 PM
I wanna sue charles davis. not quite sure what for, but i'll figure something out. Seriously a WR?
Driver
Jennings
Jones
Martin
Robinson
Lee

You could argue that GB has a top 5 WR core
Swear to god, some people like him shouldnt be on tv. I can see Detroit getting a RB, but i also feel they have alot of holes on defense, plus the oline is atroucious (spelling?)

Atrocious.

Yeah Davis is a bit off on that one, but he says GB has little other holes. I feel it's more likely the Packers would reach slightly on a safety, which is a position where they could use some help, or even a corner.