PDA

View Full Version : AK's 2-13-08 Mock Draft

akvikefan89
02-13-2008, 06:50 AM
I am not following trends, I am trying to be orginal, so don't criticize too badly ;)

2-13-08 NFL Mock:

#1- Dolphins: Chris Long, DE, Virginia
(Parcells knows a sure pick when he sees one. Long will start the new age of the Dolphins franchise, and be a great all-around DE for the 'Phins for years to come)

#2- Rams: Jake Long, OT, Michigan
(I see Dorsey as the pick in a lot of mocks here, but I think that the offensive minded Linehan saw what happened when Orlando Pace went down with a serious injury. Pace is no spring chicken and Long is certainly worthy of this pick)

#3- Falcons: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
(A lot of mocks have Matt Ryan here, but I don't feel he's worthy of a top 3 selection. The fan base in Atlanta seems pretty upset, and drafting a highlight player like Darren McFadden would be a popular option amongst the fans. But more importantly, it would give the Falcons one heck of a running back tandem between McFadden and Norwood as a change of pace back)

#4- Raiders: Glenn Dorsey, DT, Michigan
(Warren Sapp leaving leaves a big hole in the Raiders defensive line. Luckily for them, the best player available fills a huge need. An easy pick here)

#5- Chiefs: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
(They were hoping for Jake Long to fall, but Sedrick Ellis is a darned good consolation prize. Jared Allen will finally get some inside help, and everyone on the Chiefs defense will welcome Ellis with open arms)

#6- Jets: Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State
(A great 3-4 prospect, Gholston is a perfect fit for the Jets here. Gholston's impact as a pass-rusher will be a huge boost for the Jets defense)

#7- Patriots (f/49ers): Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
(Asante Samuel leaves for the big bucks, and that makes CB at the top of the Patriots priority list. McKelvin will become a well-known name on the Patriots defense)

#8- Ravens: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
(Ravens fans should be pretty happy that Ryan falls to this pick. Brohm, Woodson, etc... would all be reaches here, but Ryan is the guy that can come in and be the answer at QB that the Ravens have been searching for)

#9- Bengals: Keith Rivers, OLB, USC
(Assuming the Bengals franchise Justin Smith, taking Rivers here will be a fairly easy choice. The Bengals really are in need of LB help, and Rivers is deserving of this slot)

#10- Saints: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
(McKelvin is gone, but the Saints are happy to take Jenkins here. Mike McKenzie is getting up there, and Jason David was supposed to help the Saints CB woes, but instead he earned the nickname "burnt toast")

#11- Bills: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
(The Bills WR's have speed, but it's in the best interest for the whole offense to add a WR with size. Kelly is a pretty well-rounded WR with size, hands, route running, etc... and will be a consistent target)

#12- Broncos: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
(The Broncos inject a young talented lineman in hopes of getting back to the strong running game that helped make them such a successful team in the past)

#13- Panthers: Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
(Both of Carolina's OT's are headed to FA, and this pick is almost a must for the Panthers. Otah isn't quite the prospect that Clady is, but he'll be a welcome addition to a team losing both starting OT's)

#14- Bears: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
(I'm not sure how Bears fans will react to this pick. The Bears have had QB woes for years, and I just don't see them passing up on the possible solution here)

#15- Lions: Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State
(Every year there is a player who soars up draft boards, and this year it's Cromartie. He looks every bit like a premiere CB prospect, and I expect his stock will only go up after the combine. The Lions desperately need a CB and Cromartie is the guy )

#16- Cardinals: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon
(Edge can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and standing in the light is Jonathan Stewart. He probably should have gone earlier, but with such a deep class of RB's he got passed up by some teams that are eying RB's in round 2. A good value pick)

#17- Vikings: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
(DE is a big area of need for the Vikings, and that need got even greater with the news that starting defensive end Kenechi Udeze has Leukemia. I didn't drop Harvey to this pick on purpose, but I won't lie, I really hope he's the guy that Minnesota brings in on round 1, because DE/Pass rush is a glaring need and he'd be good value here)

#18- Texans: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
(A lot of mocks have Kenny Phillips as the pick here, but I think that Gary Kubiak knows how much a ground game helped his former team the Denver Broncos. Dominick Davis (who changed his name to something that I don't remember) can't be counted on to return in good form, and Mendenhall is a solid pick here)

#19- Eagles: DeSean Jackson, WR/KR/PR, California
(The Eagles get McNabb a playmaking WR. His explosiveness will inject a spark into an Eagles offense that looked quieter than usual in 2007)
[hr]

#20- Bucs: Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
(The Bucs have a hole at DT, and Balmer is just the man to fill it. Good value and fills a need)

#21- Redskins: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
(Campbell gets the nod over Phillip Merling, and is a smart pick here. The Redskins need a DE and Campbell fits the bill and is pretty decent value)

#22- Cowboys (f/ Browns): Kenny Phillips, S, Miami
(Phillips had a bit of a down season, but the Cowboys are likely losing Ken Hamlin in FA, and Phillips will be welcome to a secondary that currently features two terrible coverage safeties)

#23- Steelers: Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
(The Steelers O-Line will be losing some players in FA, and they will be looking to add an offensive lineman)

#24- Titans: Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan
(There's no doubt that the Titans need WR help. Manningham be drafted and could end up being the savior for Vince Young and the Titans offense)

#25- Seahawks: Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
(This may not be a popular pick amongst Seahawks fans, but I have them going with value here. Merling will be able to get playing time at DE and DT and eventually earn a starting position)

#26- Jaguars: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
(Wilford is scheduled to be a FA, and Matt Jones is looking like he may be on the way out. I'm not the biggest fan of Sweed due to his lack of speed, but Garrard has had success with slower WR's, and this is a good pick for the Jaguars and for Sweed)

#27- Chargers: Reggie Smith, S/CB, Oklahoma
(McCree hasn't helped the Chargers out any at safety, and Reggie Smith can step in and be the playmaking S the Chargers are looking for)

#28- Cowboys: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
(Cason will be a nice addition to the Cowboys aging CB group. He can learn in the nickle defense and take over a starting job in the near-future)

#29- 49ers (f/Colts): Quentin Groves, OLB/DE, Auburn
(I think Grove's stock will rise after the combine. He'll be a perfect fit as an OLB in the 49ers 3-4)

#30- Packers: Aquib Talib, CB, Kansas
(The Packers CB's are both in their 30's, and Aquib Talib is a good fit to eventually replace Al Harris as the physical corner)

#31- Patriots: New Video Camera
(Sony is a good brand for zooming in close and getting a high-resolution image... like say for Birds, or Airplanes.... or signals...)

#31- Giants: Dan Conner, OLB, Penn State
(Whether Giants fans like this pick or not, it makes a lot of sense... good value and a nice upgrade at linebacker)

oldLibid21
02-13-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the Falcons pick not being Matt Ryan. Good mock draft, I'm hopeful to see what you can do with later rounds.

I don't know if Mario Manningham will get drafted in the first, and if the Titans really needed a WR, I would guess they would go with Sweed because that's a WR that Vince Young has played with in college and has won a championship with.

My favorite draft pick is the Patriots though. I think they had a very good first round especially with their second pick.

Good job.

regoob2
02-13-2008, 07:42 AM
Not a huge fan of Brohm I'd prefer Stewart, Philips, or Chris Williams.

Jakey
02-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Good Steelers pick...i like the mock as a whole...good layout too! A+

Thunder&Lightning
02-13-2008, 08:33 AM
nice chargers pick.

T-RICH49
02-13-2008, 08:35 AM
LOVE KC's pick

BeerBaron
02-13-2008, 08:49 AM
i wont go completely "eww no, not brohm, need a tackle, etc etc" on you. but um, we do kind of need a tackle or maybe even RB a little more there...

i just dont see a huge difference between brohm's potential and the potential of a joe flacco or andre woodson, both of who can be had at least a round or two after brohm would go

sportsnerd23
02-13-2008, 09:22 AM
I think DRC is too high- solid mock though

Matthew Jones
02-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Rivers is better for New England. He fits into their defense better than McKelvin. The Patriots don't really have any high round picks at cornerback and it's worked okay thus far so I'd like a linebacker unless they trade down and get value with Talib or something.

princefielder28
02-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Talib is a nice selection

thebow305
02-13-2008, 11:39 AM
I think DRC is too high- solid mock though

You may just be in the minority then..

Anyway, solid phins pick. And nice job on the mock as a whole.

fenikz
02-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Phillips > Stewart, from both a stand point of need and talent, plus this class is very deep at RB as you said and the NFL has proven that mid round RB's can be just as productive as top 15 picks

G-Men88
02-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Ugh. DB is a MUCH bigger need. Tracy Porter would be the pick here

Addict
02-13-2008, 01:41 PM
DRC?! Please tell me you're kidding? He's talented, but not 15th overall talented. Maybe in the second round, not at 15th overall. Not with Harvey, countless linebackers and Rashard Mendenhall still available.

I don't argue the lions' cornerbacking needs, we need them more than anyone, but a cover 2 system doesn't need 1st round corners, and frankly we have other needs that do need adressing in the first (linebacker, defensvie end, running back to a certain point)

Bills2083
02-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Good pick for Buffalo.
Nice setup BTW

defensiveback23
02-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Perfect selection for the Bolts.

nobodyinparticular
02-13-2008, 03:48 PM
If the Raiders happen to win the coin toss with the Falcons and pick 3rd, do you think they take McFadden or stick with Dorsey?

akvikefan89
02-13-2008, 04:46 PM
If the Raiders happen to win the coin toss with the Falcons and pick 3rd, do you think they take McFadden or stick with Dorsey?

I would think that Al Davis would take McFadden.

akvikefan89
02-13-2008, 05:32 PM
DRC?! Please tell me you're kidding? He's talented, but not 15th overall talented. Maybe in the second round, not at 15th overall. Not with Harvey, countless linebackers and Rashard Mendenhall still available.

I don't argue the lions' cornerbacking needs, we need them more than anyone, but a cover 2 system doesn't need 1st round corners, and frankly we have other needs that do need adressing in the first (linebacker, defensvie end, running back to a certain point)

By the time the combine , etc.. is over, that's where I believe he'll go...

ramsfan2005813
02-13-2008, 06:16 PM
i have no problem with the DRC pick, i think he is the no. 2 CB in the draft. I do have a problem with the seahawks pick, merling is probably BPA, but they have too many needs on the o-line and secondary to go with BPA in the 1st round

Crazy_Chris
02-13-2008, 06:29 PM
I like Derrick Harvey but we need a LDE now with Kenechi's condition, Calais Campbell should be the pick.

akvikefan89
02-13-2008, 07:21 PM
I like Derrick Harvey but we need a LDE now with Kenechi's condition, Calais Campbell should be the pick.

I think they just need the best pass-rushing DE available. Which is Harvey.

Crazy_Chris
02-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Yea but we already have some RDE's Harvey would just be adding to log jam while ignoring LDE which now has nothing.

BaLLiN
02-13-2008, 07:51 PM
(Whether Giants fans like this pick or not, it makes a lot of sense... good value and a nice upgrade at linebacker)
I really want to know how this "makes a lot of sense" or "is a perfect fit" because i really don't see it. I didn't see it last year with Poz (whom i actually liked) and i don't see it with Connor.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not i think our staff loves our WLB Gerris Wilkinson, and they clearly ltrust and like him enough to play him against the patriots. I wouldn't put us against drafting a guy in later rounds than the first to compete against wilkinson, but Connor isn't as fast as Wilkinson and i doubt he has the same coverage abilities. I see him as more of a ILB or a SSLB