PDA

View Full Version : Miami 1st Round Streak

fenikz
02-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Currently the streak is at 13 and more than likely Phillips and Campbell will both be selected in the 1st round of this years draft making it 14 straight years with a 1st rounder, but next year there doesn't seem to be a Hurricane who is of 1st round talent, do you think the streak will end in 09'? If not who do you think will keep it alive?

a few possibilities

Javarris James RB
Sam Shields WR
DajLeon Farr TE
Reggie Youngblood OT
Eric Moncur DE
Antonio Dixon DT
Darryl Sharpton LB (He would be my bet)

Don Vito
02-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Eric Moncur is a beast, first round may be a stretch for him right now but with a good season next year it is possible. What will help him is that I think he could play LB in the 3-4 (great fit for the Pats' scheme), play in a tampa 2, and play in a 4-3. He is a beast of an athlete and a great natural pass rusher.

The Canes are loaded with potential and a guy like Youngblood, Moncur, or Sharpton could see his stock blow up with a big year. I would say Javarris James but he has to share touches with Cooper.

thebow305
02-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Moncur will be an amazing 3-4 OLB prospect next year. Our coaches said before the season, he is a better overall player than Calais and one of the most talented kids to ever come through the U. He is also a workout warrior and probably one of, if not the strongest player on the team. If he can live up to this next season, there is no doubt the streak continues with him.

Colin McCarthy also is a possibility if he leaves after his junior year, same with Shields, who has been timed in the forty at an blazing 4.26. If Shields can have some solid production on the field this year, combined with that speed, it will be interesting.

My money is on Eric Moncur though!

keylime_5
02-14-2008, 05:36 PM
I don't doubt that one of those guys ends up in the first round as usual. Heck, if none is picked by #32 overall that team will probably say, "hey, no Canes yet, let's get one."

Patriots16-0
02-14-2008, 05:49 PM
From the guys you said, I think only Youngblood and James have a chance to be 1st rounders.

JT Jag
02-14-2008, 07:03 PM
I think Sharpton has a shot, considering the pedigree the 'Canes have with putting out 'backers recently.

djp
02-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Sharpton? Youngblood? LOL, these two guys haven't lived up to their potential one bit.

The best bet is Eric Moncur. I think he'll continue the streak, but barely.

fenikz
02-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Sharpton? Youngblood? LOL, these two guys haven't lived up to their potential one bit.

The best bet is Eric Moncur. I think he'll continue the streak, but barely.

i just put some of the bigger name recruits as there stock tends to rise a lot quicker with a good year and Sharpton was looking good over the last 6 games or so

LonghornsLegend
02-14-2008, 10:18 PM
14 years is pretty sick, their not flooding the 1st rd how they were but there still is plenty of guys with potential...Moncur would have to have a strong year and/or have a showing in post season workouts to make the 1st rd I think...Ill obviously have to watch him more to be able to tell, but thats a stretch right now...

Sniper
02-15-2008, 08:28 AM
14 years is pretty sick, their not flooding the 1st rd how they were but there still is plenty of guys with potential...Moncur would have to have a strong year and/or have a showing in post season workouts to make the 1st rd I think...Ill obviously have to watch him more to be able to tell, but thats a stretch right now...

"Da U" will be back soon and flooding the early rounds. JMO.

CARDIAC CAT 7
02-15-2008, 01:02 PM
I like Colin McCarthy at LB, if he left early I could see him being a 1st Rounder. Then Tavares Gooden's backup at WLB Spencer Adkins, you gotta think that one of LB's gets a shot. Any Cane fans out their know what ever happened to Anthony Reddick?

draftguru151
02-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Reddick injured his knee again (playing basketball this time I believe).

I'd go with Moncur as well as our best bet. Sharpton played extremely well when he was healthy last season (MUCH better than McCarthy). I could see James there with a good season and maybe even Coop.

thebow305
02-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Reddick injured his knee again (playing basketball this time I believe).

I'd go with Moncur as well as our best bet. Sharpton played extremely well when he was healthy last season (MUCH better than McCarthy). I could see James there with a good season and maybe even Coop.

You take that comment back right now! Coop better not leave after this year... :(

thebow305
02-16-2008, 07:03 PM
And when did Reddick injure his knee again, or are you talking about last years injury?

Joeyjr09
02-16-2008, 07:35 PM
All Moncur has to do is have a solid SR season and he'll go somewhere in the 1st round. He's gonna blow up during the workouts and combines and show enough for someone to gamble on him in RD 1. He just has so much talent. Might have been the best player on the entire team last season behind Kenny Phillips.

etk
02-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Here`s my take:

JJ: Not enough speed and he`s gonna see a reduction in carries. Probably a 3rd rounder at this point

Graig Cooper: Has the speed and skills to be a first-rounder. If he emerges with the job and gets the bulk of our carries then I think he`ll float in the 1st range.

Shields: I`m guessing he will declare, and with decent production he could slip in the first. You can`t teach speed and he has talent with the ball in his hands

Richard Gordon: The dark horse of the unit. He has all the athleticism in the world but he needs to prove himself in practice and get some solid production.

Jason Fox: If our offensive line has a good season and he weighs in at 300+, he could make the first.

Reggie Youngblood: The chances are pretty low for a RT on a crappy line to make the first. If Fox got injured and he stepped up on the left side, he`d have a shot.

Moncur: Definitely the frontrunner. I think our defense will be dominant this year and he might be the best player on it. He can play in any system and he also has workout warrior potential. 10 sacks and he should be in.

Antonio Dixon: If he loses a little weight and shows a decent motor, I could see him going to a team in need of a NT. All he has to do is show some desire and talent because NTs don`t grow on trees.

McCarthy: I can`t really see him declaring and he`s not quite a 1st round talent yet.

Spencer Adkins: Good size and speed but he hasn`t impressed so far. If he starts and steps his game up I could see him making the first like Beason did.

Anthony Reddick: Injury concerns are big but he`s a great hitter with the Miami safety label to his advantage. If our secondary is anything above decent he will get a lot of credit.

Arthur Brown: He should just declare already. It`s not gonna be fair to see him in college for 3-4 years.

You take that comment back right now! Coop better not leave after this year... :(

James, Chambers, McNeal....Bryce Brown, Lamar Miller. Coop is my favorite back right now but losing him wouldn`t hurt as bad as others.

BigJohn98
02-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Jesus. It seems like Reggie Youngblood has been at Miami for ten years.

BaLLiN
02-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Do you think that JJ really leaves the U after this year? I know he is going to lose carries with the emergence of Cooper, but i dont think he'll leave.

fenikz
02-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Do you think that JJ really leaves the U after this year? I know he is going to lose carries with the emergence of Cooper, but i dont think he'll leave.

i don't think he will either, i think a lot of key players will stay around to help rebuild this program, i mean of course if he has a monster year or if they tell him that Cooper will be getting most of the carries the next year he could leave

thebow305
02-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Here`s my take:

JJ: Not enough speed and he`s gonna see a reduction in carries. Probably a 3rd rounder at this point

Graig Cooper: Has the speed and skills to be a first-rounder. If he emerges with the job and gets the bulk of our carries then I think he`ll float in the 1st range.

Shields: I`m guessing he will declare, and with decent production he could slip in the first. You can`t teach speed and he has talent with the ball in his hands

Richard Gordon: The dark horse of the unit. He has all the athleticism in the world but he needs to prove himself in practice and get some solid production.

Jason Fox: If our offensive line has a good season and he weighs in at 300+, he could make the first.

Reggie Youngblood: The chances are pretty low for a RT on a crappy line to make the first. If Fox got injured and he stepped up on the left side, he`d have a shot.

Moncur: Definitely the frontrunner. I think our defense will be dominant this year and he might be the best player on it. He can play in any system and he also has workout warrior potential. 10 sacks and he should be in.

Antonio Dixon: If he loses a little weight and shows a decent motor, I could see him going to a team in need of a NT. All he has to do is show some desire and talent because NTs don`t grow on trees.

McCarthy: I can`t really see him declaring and he`s not quite a 1st round talent yet.

Spencer Adkins: Good size and speed but he hasn`t impressed so far. If he starts and steps his game up I could see him making the first like Beason did.

Anthony Reddick: Injury concerns are big but he`s a great hitter with the Miami safety label to his advantage. If our secondary is anything above decent he will get a lot of credit.

Arthur Brown: He should just declare already. It`s not gonna be fair to see him in college for 3-4 years.

James, Chambers, McNeal....Bryce Brown, Lamar Miller. Coop is my favorite back right now but losing him wouldn`t hurt as bad as others.

Reggie Youngblood has a ****'s chance in hell to make the first round, so you can get that idea out of your head right now.

Adkins may be a little too short to be a first rounder, I think he's around 5'10, 5'11" so I doubt he has much of a shot, but the rest of these have a decent shot if all goes right this year.

About Bryce and Lamar: You assume we get both of them, which I still think is a HUGE question mark at this point. Lamar we stand a great chance with, but I'm still very iffy on Bryce.

I'm just saying, I will be very upset if Coop leaves after only 2 years, and whether we get those 2 or not, losing GCoop would hurt big time.

P-L
02-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Jesus. It seems like Reggie Youngblood has been at Miami for ten years.
It probably feels longer than that for Miami fans.

CARDIAC CAT 7
02-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Have another ? for Cane fans, what going on with Josh Tatum. He initially signed with USC in '06, and I heard that he transfered to Miami (FL). Anyone know if this is true?

fenikz
02-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Have another ? for Cane fans, what going on with Josh Tatum. He initially signed with USC in '06, and I heard that he transfered to Miami (FL). Anyone know if this is true?

edit: never mind wrong Tatum

draftguru151
02-18-2008, 04:47 PM
I recall Shannon saying that Tatum will never be a cane when that first came out.

etk
02-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Reggie Youngblood has a ****'s chance in hell to make the first round, so you can get that idea out of your head right now.

Adkins may be a little too short to be a first rounder, I think he's around 5'10, 5'11" so I doubt he has much of a shot, but the rest of these have a decent shot if all goes right this year.

About Bryce and Lamar: You assume we get both of them, which I still think is a HUGE question mark at this point. Lamar we stand a great chance with, but I'm still very iffy on Bryce.

I'm just saying, I will be very upset if Coop leaves after only 2 years, and whether we get those 2 or not, losing GCoop would hurt big time.

Umm...did you read what I said? I said if Fox got injured, Youngblood moved to the left side and he played consistent he'd have a shot. I'd put his chances at making the first at about 2%.

Adkins is probably 5'11, but Beason was only 6' and he made the first. I don't think he'll start but he has the talent to make it with a breakout year.

The RB position will never be a problem for us again. I'd be mad if Cooper left but I'd forget about him pretty quickly. Without him we could still have as many as 5 solid backs next year, plus we're probably going to throw more out of the spread once Marve/Harris develop.