PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Mock Ideas

neko4
02-16-2008, 08:42 PM
I know a Forum Mock was just done but I have some ideas for the next one... (Tell me if we've done these before)

First of all the next one will have salary cap and free agency.
How much cap room a team has will be based on where the teams finished (esentially the draft order, if Cleveland didnt trade their pick and NE's wasnt forfeited, Indy didnt trade theirs and San Fran didnt trade with NE)
If they are in the bottom 5 they get 40 Mil, Next 5 they will get 35 Mil, then 30, 25, 20, 15 and 10 Mil for the NYG and NE.

There will also be a player value system to decide how much they are worth:
Each player's base value is 400,000
+100,000 for each start
And then for offense, +200,000 for every 10 TD's, +100,000 for every 1,000 yards.
And for defense, +200,000 for every 10 Sacks, +100,000 for every 50 Tackles, +200,000 for every 3 INT's.
If a player was on practice squad or IR for the whole season they are worth 200,000.
Offensive linemen, since they have no stats, will have +500,000 if they made the Pro Bowl.

This will decide how much money a team adds to their cap space if they cut a player. How much was either gained or lost when they trade players and how much money they will spend to resign a player or sign a FA.

Rookie Salaries:
Rookie salaries will be based on where they were picked,
Top 5- 3 Mil
1st Rnd- 2 Mil
2nd Rnd- 1 Mil
3rd Rnd- 500K
4th-7th Rnd- 250K

Compensation Pick System:
All 32 teams will get one comp pick.
They will be "free" and not count against the cap.
Where your comp is will be based on the value of the players you lost in comparison to the ones you gained.
There will be 3- 3rd Rounders
5- 4th Rounders
6- 5th Rounders
8- 6th Rounders
10- 7th Rounders

Any suggestions? Feedback? Concerns? Opinions? Changes? Is this even do-able?

Brothgar
02-16-2008, 08:50 PM
well I have predicted cap numbers for each team -2 divisions. Lemme see if I can dig them up.

neko4
02-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Im sure you could, but the point of having record based caps was to level the playing field. At the end i was going to have voting for which 6 teams should be in the playoffs from each conference and then playoffs and then the super bowl

Brothgar
02-16-2008, 09:04 PM
All Quotes from FOX Sports.com

NFC East

Projected cap space $13 million: Precluding a long-term contract extension, the Cowboys will have to earmark $2.6 million for the high tender offer that will be given to running back Marion Barber. The Cowboys could use a $7.5 million franchise tag on Pro Bowl left tackle Flozell Adams. But tying up that $10.1 million could keep Dallas from spending much in free agency.

NY Football Giants

Projected cap space $21 million: Giants general manager Jerry Reese has signed three players defensive end Justin Tuck, punter Jeff Feagles and kicker Lawrence Tynes to new contracts since the end of the regular season. Reese may turn his attention next to his linebackers, where Super Bowl starters Kavika Mitchell and Reggie Torbor are pending unrestricted free agents.

Washington Redskins

Projected cap space: The Redskins are currently $7 million over but will continue whittling away at the overage through contract restructurings and terminations. The Redskins chopped $7.8 million on Thursday by revamping Cooley's deal and should be clearing more space soon with the imminent release of quarterback Mark Brunell.

Philadelphia

Projected cap space $12 million: Without any marquee players that need re-signing, Philadelphia should have the ability to make some noise in free agency. But some of Philadelphia's big-name talent acquisitions in recent years Owens and defensive ends Jevon Kearse and Darren Howard didn't fulfill expectations. The Eagles already have used a $4.5 million franchise tag on tight end L.J. Smith.

Tampa Bay

Projected cap space: $19 million. The Bucs have a history of adding numerous veterans every off-season, many of them to modest deals. Pending free agents Brian Kelly, Michael Pittman are considered goners, while fullback Mike Alstott has retired. Graham, who was solid as a fill-in when Williams went down, could be landing a new contract. Expect the Bucs to once again kick the tires on retired quarterback Jake Plummer, whose contract rights they hold.

Carolina

Projected cap space: The Panthers are near or slightly above the cap after Thursday's re-signing of tackle Travelle Wharton and safety Chris Harris. With Wharton in the fold, the Panthers can guarantee the return of fellow tackle Jordan Gross by use of a $7.5 million franchise tag. Linebacker Dan Morgan and guard Mike Wahle (who already has signed with Seattle) were cap casualties earlier in the week. Expect more to follow.

New Orleans

Projected cap space: $27 million. The Saints will be busy this off-season with 16 players set to become UFAs. New Orleans must do a better job evaluating talent than last off-season. The Saints surrendered a fourth-round pick to Indianapolis for cornerback Jason David, who was picked on regularly throughout the season after signing a $16 million contract. Defensive acquisitions like linebacker Brian Simmons and safety Kevin Kaesviharn didn't add much, while end Charles Grant had just two sacks after inking a seven-year, $63-million deal. Wide receiver Marques Colston, who is set to make a league-minimum $445,000 base salary, could be in line for a big raise.

The NFC West will be done on Sunday and going by trends the NFC North will be done by Monday.

Brothgar
02-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Im sure you could, but the point of having record based caps was to level the playing field. At the end i was going to have voting for which 6 teams should be in the playoffs from each conference and then playoffs and then the super bowl

True but wouldn't be really awesome to do one as realistically as possible? You know have each GM take over the reigns for everything?

neko4
02-16-2008, 09:17 PM
This is just the idea i had to level the playing field.
Anyone else have feedback?

diabsoule
02-16-2008, 09:33 PM
As far as the forum mocks I've done, the salary cap hasn't really factored into it. Working with the cap will be too difficult since GM's will have to be trusted to find player salaries, etc...

We try to base the draft on actual picks. If there is a list of compensatory picks out there then that'd be great if we could add it to the draft order.

Teams usually have the option of placing the franchise tag on a player. If they do tag a player it usually affects their ability to sign a multitude of FA's.

This will all get worked out with JBond and whoever else runs it with him.

neko4
02-16-2008, 09:37 PM
As far as the forum mocks I've done, the salary cap hasn't really factored into it. Working with the cap will be too difficult since GM's will have to be trusted to find player salaries, etc...

With this system player salaries are easy to find

neko4
02-17-2008, 04:32 PM
anymore feedback? Good? Bad? Anything?

DragonMekha
02-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Honestly I wouldnt use the salary cap idea or tweak it to where it really isnt exactly having to deal with money.I think that would quickly get out of hand if several teams were signing at once and numbers start to get jumbled.I'd more try to look at a realism take involving the salary cap.For instance,its unlikely unless they release or rework some players,that the Redskins could sign a high priced FA with thier cap situation.A team that is over or slightly under the salary cap would be less likely to be able to sign a high priced FA.Also for FA you should look at reality at what certain FA's want when they sign somewhere. Do they just care about the money,do they want to go to a winning team,do they more care about what scheme is best.

But in all honesty I think trying to manage the exact money amounts per FA signing or trades would end up a headache and alot of players/teams may drop out or not even sign up.