PDA

View Full Version : Shaun McDonald on the trading block

Jagonsucker
02-18-2008, 09:59 AM
just saw it on ESPN First Take..and they said the 49ers are intrested. What could we possibly get for him? a 4th rounder at best?

Bootland27
02-18-2008, 10:30 AM
just saw it on ESPN First Take..and they said the 49ers are intrested. What could we possibly get for him? a 4th rounder at best?

I say package him with Kalimba Edwards for a 4th.

wingboy2999
02-18-2008, 11:15 AM
We could probably get a 4th for McDonald by himself.

JPLUFF
02-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Hell let's just throw Kalimba in there anyways.

Addict
02-18-2008, 04:06 PM
We could probably get a 4th for McDonald by himself.

Still, Kalimba carries a hefty cap number.

Also: does this mean the Roy trade talk is done with?

WMD
02-18-2008, 04:28 PM
I'd guess a 5th Rounder or a Backup OL.

Xiomera
02-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Why trade him at all if the best we can get is a 4th?

Millen has never given is any indication that an additional 4th round pick would be beneficial to out team.

49ersfan_87
02-18-2008, 04:32 PM
I'd offer OT Jonas Jennings.....he's actually a pretty good LT, but he has missed a lot of games and has some injury problems. I don't think it's a realistic proposal, but i wouldn't offer much else if i was the 49ers GM.

Addict
02-18-2008, 04:36 PM
I'd offer OT Jonas Jennings.....he's actually a pretty good LT, but he has missed a lot of games and has some injury problems. I don't think it's a realistic proposal, but i wouldn't offer much else if i was the 49ers GM.

That wouldn't even be such a bad deal... I think.

detroit4life
02-18-2008, 05:27 PM

Millen has never given is any indication that an additional 4th round pick would be beneficial to out team.

gives us ability to move up in the second or third. If i were millen id trade all my late draft picks to get as many 2nds and 3rds possible because after the 3rd round players we take are usually cut

Xiomera
02-18-2008, 06:34 PM
gives us ability to move up in the second or third. If i were millen id trade all my late draft picks to get as many 2nds and 3rds possible because after the 3rd round players we take are usually cut

We need CB's right?

Millen should just spend all his picks on Cornerbacks. It takes the difficulty out of the process. We can just pick the three we like best and cut the rest in camp.

HA HA HA

detroit4life
02-18-2008, 07:11 PM
We need CB's right?

Millen should just spend all his picks on Cornerbacks. It takes the difficulty out of the process. We can just pick the three we like best and cut the rest in camp.

HA HA HA

why not maybe that way one of the three we keep will actually contribute to the team

Scotty D
02-18-2008, 07:56 PM

True, but Millen also loves to move up and down in the draft after the first round. This would give us so ammo. Plus its a very early fourth.

detroitsports
02-18-2008, 08:16 PM
of course Martz wants him back so he can make him their #1 reciever and throw hail mary's to him all day

wingboy2999
02-18-2008, 08:18 PM
of course Martz wants him back so he can make him their #1 reciever and throw hail mary's to him all day

Hail mary's? How many did we actually throw to him?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Oh I hope this is true. End this trading Roy talk.

wingboy2999
02-18-2008, 09:40 PM
It's only gonna end if he gets traded.

detroit4life
02-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Hail mary's? How many did we actually throw to him?

just one to my memory but that was the one that got picked off in the end zone.

wingboy2999
02-18-2008, 10:23 PM
just one to my memory but that was the one that got picked off in the end zone.

Yeah a desperation play. Not like it is a staple of our offense.

detroit4life
02-18-2008, 10:25 PM
yeah i think he was exagerating that although i still dont understand why he had him run a fly route. We had like a minute thirty on the clock with WRs like Cj and Roy to have mcdonald run it makes little sense

Scotty D
02-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Wouldn't mind a fourth for him. San Fran would probably value him decently. We would still be pretty solid at WR. Furrey was underutilized last year. McDonald have more value than Furrey? Hopefully Cason freaking follows Martz. If this trade goes down, I'll scream for Dexter Jackson on the second day!

Addict
02-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Oh I hope this is true. End this trading Roy talk.

Roy needs to go, if he's gonna bolt, we have got to get some value for him.

Xiomera
02-19-2008, 01:51 PM

Franchise Roy. We will never get good value.

Addict
02-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Franchise Roy. We will never get good value.

you never know

Xiomera
02-19-2008, 02:03 PM
you never know

If we got a top 20 pick I would do it. Otherwise, its a no.

Unless of course we could do some sort of Roy Williams for Larry Fitzgerald trade. Roy moves much closer to home in Texas. But Fitz would never wanna sign in Detroit longterm . . . 1% chance. haha

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-21-2008, 11:49 AM

The Roy bolting part is as much of a rumor as Roy being traded. We'll see if we offer him a contract this offseason, during next season if we are winning or prior to next offseason. If we offer him 3 contracts, and he says no, then you can conclude he wants to leave or if he comes out and says I want to leave(which hasn't happened). At that point, its franchise time.

I heard a rumor that Calvin likes Atlanta. Maybe we should get some good value for him.

Bootland27
02-21-2008, 12:08 PM

Roy is gonna bolt? News to me.....He said he wants a long term deal, and there is always the franchise tag, we have proven we are not afraid to use it. If Backus and Redding were worth the tag, Roy definitely is.

Addict
02-21-2008, 12:51 PM
The Roy bolting part is as much of a rumor as Roy being traded. We'll see if we offer him a contract this offseason, during next season if we are winning or prior to next offseason. If we offer him 3 contracts, and he says no, then you can conclude he wants to leave or if he comes out and says I want to leave(which hasn't happened). At that point, its franchise time.

I heard a rumor that Calvin likes Atlanta. Maybe we should get some good value for him.

... now where did I leave that straight jacket pic...

oh that's right!

http://www.msunderestimated.com/StraightJacket.jpg

there ya go.

wingboy2999
02-21-2008, 01:01 PM
I really hope he was joking... or he just need to leave. For good.

Addict
02-21-2008, 01:05 PM
I really hope he was joking... or he just need to leave. For good.

he was kidding, no way he could be serious. Otherwise, I'll just re-post the straight jacket.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Haha of course I was kidding.
I need a pic for anyone who posts something about a Roy trade. Maybe a shot of the ball going off of McDonalds hands in the Giants game. Or that amazing Roy catch from his rookie year.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-21-2008, 01:19 PM
This will do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP7K0iagxdg

Addict
02-21-2008, 02:25 PM
I don't argue Roy's skills, he's a great player. All I'm saying is that great receiver squad isn't doing squat for us, so if we can get some value for Roy that allows us to fortify the defense or the running game/offensive line, I'd be all for it.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-21-2008, 03:03 PM
And all I'm saying is there are other ways to fortify the defense besides making a strength become a possible weakness at WR.

Losing Roy effects, numerous people on the team. Kitna/Stanton in the future, CJ has to step up in only year 2, McDonald has to step up. It effects the running game. Can McDonald or Furrey block, they are very small Wrs.

We gain picking a few spots higher at LB or we gain a RB by trading Roy. The few spots higher at MLB will not make enough of a difference over losing Roy given that this is a decent LB class and all LBs are unproven at this point. Plus there is the Al Wilson factor. And good RBs all depend on your O-line. KJ is a good running back when healthy. Duckett played decent last year and should be resigned. If you want O-line at pick 28/29 that is most likely a reach for a Round 2 OL at that point.

Sign Sean Locklear, Jonathan Scott back and Backus without Mike Martz/injury makes our tackle situation must better. I have confidence KJ and Duckett will be a good combo for us. And I like the second round MLBs.

Bootland27
02-21-2008, 03:34 PM
And all I'm saying is there are other ways to fortify the defense besides making a strength become a possible weakness at WR.

Losing Roy effects, numerous people on the team. Kitna/Stanton in the future, CJ has to step up in only year 2, McDonald has to step up. It effects the running game. Can McDonald or Furrey block, they are very small Wrs.

We gain picking a few spots higher at LB or we gain a RB by trading Roy. The few spots higher at MLB will not make enough of a difference over losing Roy given that this is a decent LB class and all LBs are unproven at this point. Plus there is the Al Wilson factor. And good RBs all depend on your O-line. KJ is a good running back when healthy. Duckett played decent last year and should be resigned. If you want O-line at pick 28/29 that is most likely a reach for a Round 2 OL at that point.

Sign Sean Locklear, Jonathan Scott back and Backus without Mike Martz/injury makes our tackle situation must better. I have confidence KJ and Duckett will be a good combo for us. And I like the second round MLBs.

Amen Brother.

While Locklear is a solid RT, I'm not sure Marinelli would want him because of this:
10/27/2006 Locklear has been suspended for one game for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy. The suspension stems from the Seahawks starting right tackle's Jan. 15 arrest for assaulting his girlfriend. In July, he reached an agreement with prosecutors to avoid trial. The suspension means Locklear forefeits $25,000.

Addict
02-21-2008, 04:30 PM

If trading roy is what it takes to get Mendenhall AND Flowers, I'll take that trade in a heartbeat.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-21-2008, 06:11 PM
If trading roy is what it takes to get Mendenhall AND Flowers, I'll take that trade in a heartbeat.

I think we could get Mendehall and Flowers without trading Roy. Round 1, Round 2, sign Locklear and Al Wilson. We'll see how it pans out but I don't think Roy is going anywhere. Maybe in the post combine mock but thats about it.

Bad Religion is a great band by the way. How many times have you seen them?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Amen Brother.

While Locklear is a solid RT, I'm not sure Marinelli would want him because of this:

I think Locklear is worth it despite that incident. I'm not looking for a boyscout, I'm looking for a mean nasty Right Tackle. He served his supsension and hopefully he never does it again. He hasn't been in trouble since. Cullen got a DUI and Marinelli didn't fire him instantly.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Nevermind on Locklear. Good move by Seattle. Who's left in the tackle market?
Starks is transitioned so Pittsburgh can match. Wharton is signed, Gross is franchised, Flozell is available but 32 years old.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3257645

sup3rdup3r
02-21-2008, 10:49 PM
McDonalds value has to be around a 5th or 6th. Moss and Darrell Jackson both got traded for 4th rounders last year and McDonald is not anywhere near what their value was last year.

Addict
02-22-2008, 05:31 AM
I think we could get Mendehall and Flowers without trading Roy. Round 1, Round 2, sign Locklear and Al Wilson. We'll see how it pans out but I don't think Roy is going anywhere. Maybe in the post combine mock but thats about it.

Bad Religion is a great band by the way. How many times have you seen them?

Maybe, but if flowers does well in the forty he'll be a late-first type prospect, I was just saying i'd be *willing* to sacrifice roy to get those two guys.

I have every bad religion album, but I've seen them live only twice, they don't come to the netherlands that often. However: they're coming in june, and I'll be damned if I don't go.

stephenson86
02-22-2008, 05:35 AM
you guys can pick up a great Lt in the draft, most likely jeff otah or ryan clady