Subtractions

Dwight Smith

Troy Williamson

Kelly Holcomb

Dontarrious Thomas

Mewelde Moore

Tank Williams

Tony Richardson

I'll put all of the players we get and lose in this thread.

The Dynasty
02-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Good Idea. Cant wait to see it fill up with some good football players.

Vikes99ej
02-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Good Idea. Cant wait to see it fill up with some good football players.

It'd be nice to see Bryant Johnson or Dallas Clark on there :)

russie
02-18-2008, 04:06 PM
any chance of turning this into a sticky?

i'd kinda like to see someone like trent green come in and backup TJ. even his fragile ass is better than the two scrubs we have be hind him now

Crazy_Chris
02-18-2008, 04:46 PM
We have to have a Team Leader to make it sticky(unless we can get a mod to come and do it).

Ken Hamlin would look good up there along with a decent WR like Donte Stallworth, DJ Hackett, or Bryant Johnson.

Here is a list of our F/A's

Mike Doss S UFA
Heath Farwell LB RFA
Robert Ferguson WR UFA
Spencer Johnson DT UFA
Mewelde Moore RB UFA
Tony Richardson FB UFA
Darion Scott DE UFA
Dontarious Thomas LB UFA
Ronyell Whitaker CB UFA
Tank Williams S UFA

Bold indicates the players I would like to re-sign

Crazy_Chris
02-20-2008, 05:30 PM
:) some good news... We have our first person to add to the subtractions list. I saw it on the NFL Network bottom line. Adam Schefter reports S Dwight Smith has been cut by the Vikings.

DHVF
02-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Saw Jevon Kearse got cut today, and though he is definitely prone to injury, he could provide a lot of what we're lacking in our pass rush.

Vikes99ej
02-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Saw Jevon Kearse got cut today, and though he is definitely prone to injury, he could provide a lot of what we're lacking in our pass rush.

I wouldn't want him. Most of the speed he had as a Titan and his first year as an Eagle is gone.

General Zod
02-23-2008, 12:31 PM
I see rumor on Fanball that the Vikes have Jerry Porter on there wish list. I would love to see this happen myself.

The Dynasty
02-23-2008, 12:38 PM
I see rumor on Fanball that the Vikes have Jerry Porter on there wish list. I would love to see this happen myself.

Nice I would love to see him come. It would make us focus better on a S or DE in the first 2 rounds then.

DHVF
02-23-2008, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't want him. Most of the speed he had as a Titan and his first year as an Eagle is gone.Yeah, I guess upon looking at his production, it would be surprising to see him really do much for anyone.

giver17
02-23-2008, 04:00 PM
even though our hopes for Fitz were pointless to begin with, I think we can put the final nail in the coffin now...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806d4a14&template=without-video&confirm=true

bearsfan_51
02-23-2008, 06:53 PM
The thing with Jerry Porter is that he's a player very similar to Sidney Rice. Neither player is going to give you much blazing speed. If you've got Brooks Bollinger as your QB that's one thing, but Williamson's best throws are usually his deep balls, so it would make sense to get someone that can break it (though outside of Berrian I'm not sure such a player is available in FA).

The Dynasty
02-23-2008, 08:06 PM
well I am hoping for

WR1: Jerry Porter
WR2: Sindey Rice
WR3: Bobby Wade
WR4: Aundrae Allison

crazyisme
02-24-2008, 08:48 AM
would someone please explain the fascination over a 30 year old oft-injured inconsistent player with character issues? I wouldnt mind him, but he's #4 on my option list...

1. Berrian
2. Johnson
3. Hackett
4. Porter

IMO, Porter is a last resort

RollingMoss
02-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Bring. Back. Moss.

The Dynasty
02-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Bring. Back. Moss.

It would be nice to bring moss back but I bet he doesnt want to come back to Minnesota. Plus The Patriots already have a verbal agreement with Moss already and they have a contract ready for him to sign on the 29th.

I like Porter because he is a proven Veteran. He can catch the ball and help out a Young QB. I personally don't think Berrian is going anywhere. They be crazy to let him go. Johnson Im alright with but what has he done? He is a 3rd Receiver behind One of the Best Duo's in the league. Which helps him out but I dont know how he will do as a #1. Hackett I like but He was injured last year. I just dont know.

Vikes99ej
02-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Bring. Back. Moss.

No. Way. In. Hell.

RollingMoss
02-24-2008, 01:38 PM
It would be nice to bring moss back but I bet he doesnt want to come back to Minnesota.

He has said he wanted to retire as a Viking - maybe he still does? We could use a deep threat, we can open the bank, and he's smart enough to appreciate what having Peterson on the same side would mean.

Plus The Patriots already have a verbal agreement with Moss already and they have a contract ready for him to sign on the 29th.

Verbal ain't binding. Didn't Hutch have a verbal agreement with Seattle? And I'm not too sure Moss really would want to stay in New England.

All that being said, yeah, it's a dream and why would he leave New England. But still, a man can dream.

I like Bryant Johnson's talent, but it is hard to go from being a third-stringer up to first-string, the talent of corners messes with most of the players who make that leap; you could replace Bryant Johnson with D.J. Hackett and I'd say the same thing. I'm not high on Berrian and I doubt Chicago will let him go also, and Porter Could be good, but he Could be a headcase that brings down Sidney. I really don't know if there's a free agent receiver we should invest in and make another BobbyWade mistake.

This is a deep draft for receivers, they should definately take one of the fifteen or so I wouldn't mind them taking, that's all I know.

the_Kid
02-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I think it would be a great move to bring in a receiver like berrian. With williamson maybe leaving we could use a burner that can actually catch.

The Dynasty
02-24-2008, 04:41 PM
I thought you guys Might wanted to see this... its from vikings.scout.com

SUNDAY NOTES
* There are rumors that the Vikings might make a strong push to sign Bengals safety Madieu Williams when free agency begins Saturday morning.

* Another name that has cropped up and been linked to interest from the Vikings is Dolphins quarterback Cleo Lemon, who Rick Spielman has some personal knowledge of.

* The Vikings haven’t made any progress in trading wide receiver Troy Williamson. When word got out that the Vikings were shopping Williamson, his agent said between eight and 10 teams had expressed an interest. His agent, David Carter, left Indianapolis to attend a wedding Saturday, but is expected back in Indy today and there is the belief that a trade might be worked out before the Combine ends on Tuesday.

* If the Vikings have an interest in Bernard Berrian, they are not alone. Word coming out of Cleveland is that the Browns are prepared to make a big push for Berrian if he makes it to free agency and doesn’t re-sign with the Bears, who recently released veteran Muhsin Muhammad.

* The Vikings will let safety Mike Doss test free agency before making any offer to have him remain with the team.

Crazy_Chris
02-25-2008, 04:17 AM
Sometimes you can’t believe everything you read.

There have been published reports that the Vikings are somewhere between $15-17 million under the 2008 salary cap, but in reality, you can nearly double that amount by the time free agency begins midnight Friday night.

Thanks to creative bookkeeping that includes several contract provisions for bonuses that aren’t going to be met, such as bonuses for players like Pat Williams to have a specific number of special teams tackles (Big Pat doesn’t play on special teams), the Vikings will have approximately $30 million to spend under the $116 million salary cap.

Last year, believing the free agent talent and the big spike in the salary cap would force teams to overspend, the Vikings didn’t make much of a splash – signing WR Bobby Wade, TE Visanthe Shiancoe, LB Vinny Ciurciu and safety Mike Doss. The only player the Vikings made a big play for was wide receiver Kevin Curtis, who ended up signing with the Eagles.

This year may be different. With the belief that the Vikings are only a key player or two away from being a legitimate playoff contender, the belief from Vice President of Player Personnel Rick Spielman is that the Vikings may well go after a blue-chip free agent or two if the money is right and the players are viewed as good fits in the Vikings' system.

With a deeper talent pool in free agency this year, the Vikings may have been wise getting out of the bidding wars last year. With plenty of many to spend and holes

- http://min.scout.com/a.z?s=63&p=2&c=731451

Hmm but which blue chippers? I really don't see that many blue chip f/a's that can help us this year.

S2TheEvo
02-25-2008, 04:38 AM
I'm pretty high on Madieu Williams. When he's healthy he makes a nice amount of plays and is one of the more underrated players in the league, plus he's still young. I'd say there's a pretty good chance that we do sign him, it's a good fit, and the Leslie Frazier connection doesn't hurt.

Berrian would be my preference at receiver. DJ Hackett would probably be second, but he has hard time staying on the field. Porter is a nice fit in the WCO, but is probably on the downside of his career and also has injury problems. Any of them would be an upgrade right now.

Crazy_Chris
02-25-2008, 11:39 PM
We can add Troy Williamson to the Subtractons list :)

Kid_Ego
02-26-2008, 12:48 AM
I know for some odd reason things are starting to fall into place. Not that getting rid of the two biggest eye sores on the team is some revelation. Did anyone else notice in the last two games how freaking horrible Dwight Smith looked.

S2TheEvo
02-26-2008, 03:18 AM
It seemed like he forgot how to tackle. Imagine if we were in a position to make the playoffs and he was missing tackles like that... Oh yeah... For some reason the first thing I think about with Dwight is how he got arrested for having sex in a stairwell.

Can't wait for FA to start. Building through the draft is definitely the better way to go, but we have some needs that should be addressed in FA this year (safety, receiver). No Visanthe-esque signings though.

crazyisme
02-26-2008, 10:17 AM
do draft picks count as additions? add a 6th round pick and subtract williamson, lol

Vikes99ej
02-26-2008, 12:29 PM
do draft picks count as additions? add a 6th round pick and subtract williamson, lol

No, I'm just doing players.

The Dynasty
02-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Is it for sure a 6th round? Or is that still in discussion?

Crazy_Chris
02-26-2008, 08:15 PM
It seemed like he forgot how to tackle. Imagine if we were in a position to make the playoffs and he was missing tackles like that... Oh yeah... For some reason the first thing I think about with Dwight is how he got arrested for having sex in a stairwell.

Can't wait for FA to start. Building through the draft is definitely the better way to go, but we have some needs that should be addressed in FA this year (safety, receiver). No Visanthe-esque signings though.

Eh you can be assured Childress will have atleast 1 F/A signing like that. He has done it every year since he has been here. 2006 Chester Taylor & Ben Leber. 2007 Bobby Wade & Visanthe Shiancoe. In 2008 it's very likely there will be another one but who is the question. Right now I'm guessing he will bring in some under the radar safety and try to make him the starter.

Is it for sure a 6th round? Or is that still in discussion?

I have no clue I have read in places that it is a 6th that can escalate into a 4th or 5th(Which if true means it has to be a 2009 pick). Other places have just said that the Vikings will be getting a second day pick/6th round pick in the 2008 NFL draft. I guess we will just have to wait until friday to find out the truth.

pete_norm
02-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Release awful safety that can't tackle anything outside of a staircase : CHECK!

Trade butter-fingered receiver : CHECK!

Release a bad back-up QB : CHECK...

Vikings released QB Kelly Holcomb.

Holcomb was due a $150,000 bonus the club wasn't going to pay. He played poorly in three 2007 appearances, barely completing half his 83 attempts and averaging only 6.7 YPA before hurting his neck. At 35, he may retire.

The Dynasty
02-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Release awful safety that can't tackle anything outside of a staircase : CHECK!

Trade butter-fingered receiver : CHECK!

Release a bad back-up QB : CHECK...

Vikings released QB Kelly Holcomb.

Holcomb was due a $150,000 bonus the club wasn't going to pay. He played poorly in three 2007 appearances, barely completing half his 83 attempts and averaging only 6.7 YPA before hurting his neck. At 35, he may retire.

Im Very Happy with the Vikings so far.

Lets just hope they dont mess it up with FA and Draft.

DHVF
02-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Im Very Happy with the Vikings so far.

Lets just hope they dont mess it up with FA and Draft.
Yeah, all we have so far is some addition by subtraction.

S2TheEvo
02-28-2008, 04:45 AM
Eh you can be assured Childress will have atleast 1 F/A signing like that. He has done it every year since he has been here. 2006 Chester Taylor & Ben Leber. 2007 Bobby Wade & Visanthe Shiancoe. In 2008 it's very likely there will be another one but who is the question. Right now I'm guessing he will bring in some under the radar safety and try to make him the starter.

Yeah, more than likely... Though Leber and Taylor were both productive with there former teams, as was Bobby Wade to some extent. Shiancoe barely touched the ball in New York, and rightfully so with Shockey starting. We picked him up based on a nice combine performance years ago, and of course, B-Chilly's amazing knowledge of all things NFC-East. ;-)

I do think we will get a somewhat established safety though (Madieu or Gibril), or I could be wrong and we could end up with JR REED!!! Usually don't have a good feeling about us attracting free agents, but I have a feeling that we'll lure in a few good ones this year. Hopefully this thread is bumpinnn tomorrow, but again, no Visanthe Shiancoe's.

crazyisme
02-28-2008, 01:27 PM
so far, this offseason is like taking out the trash, and finding an ice cold beer just for you while doing it.....very nice!

crazyisme
02-28-2008, 01:29 PM

I have no clue I have read in places that it is a 6th that can escalate into a 4th or 5th(Which if true means it has to be a 2009 pick). Other places have just said that the Vikings will be getting a second day pick/6th round pick in the 2008 NFL draft. I guess we will just have to wait until friday to find out the truth.

umm Taylor and Leber were GREAT signings and Bobby came cheap and has been okay.... Shiancoe is really the only questionable signing Chilly has done since hes been here, otherwise, hes done a pretty good job, also, last year was probably the worst FA class since FA began...

The Dynasty
02-28-2008, 03:38 PM
If you go to the rumor mill on espn theres a rumor saying Berrian to Minnesota?. That would be nice if we sign him on friday.

litlharsh
02-28-2008, 04:06 PM
If you go to the rumor mill on espn theres a rumor saying Berrian to Minnesota?. That would be nice if we sign him on friday.

/PUKE EVERYWHERE

The Dynasty
02-28-2008, 05:43 PM
/PUKE EVERYWHERE

Berrians not on top on my list but Hey we gotta look at it as We need a WR Badly. Berrian is one of the top WR in the FA and if we could sign him it would make our WR core alot better. Berrian and Rice that would be a nice mixture of Speed and Height. What Happens is what happens i guess.

DHVF
02-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Berrians not on top on my list but Hey we gotta look at it as We need a WR Badly. Berrian is one of the top WR in the FA and if we could sign him it would make our WR core alot better. Berrian and Rice that would be a nice mixture of Speed and Height. What Happens is what happens i guess.
I would love it. The guy may not exactly be sure handed, but he is fairly reliable and can actually adjust to the ball in the air. Would be a definite upgrade to what we currently have.

litlharsh
02-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Apparently the Vikings have offered a 3rd rounder for QB Sage Rosenfels

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=113255

what do you think?

giver17
02-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Apparently the Vikings have offered a 3rd rounder for QB Sage Rosenfels

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=113255

what do you think?

I love it. he would be better than any rookie we brought in in the third round so why not? he could compete right away, and played really well in spot duty this season. I would be 100% for it

DHVF
02-28-2008, 06:27 PM
I love it. he would be better than any rookie we brought in in the third round so why not? he could compete right away, and played really well in spot duty this season. I would be 100% for it
Spending a 3rd rounder on a backup? Ehhh, I dunno about that. I would prefer picking up a FA such as Gray or Green.

Kid_Ego
02-28-2008, 06:34 PM
A third rounder for sage rosenthfels? you got to be freaking kidding me that would be freaking stupid!!!!!!! why not resign Daunte or fo after Byron leftwich these guys have actually won some games. Im not sure who the bigger Idiot is childress and all his NFC east scrubs or Speilman and his ex dolphin freaking scrubs a third rounder? we could possibly get a very nice prospect like henne or woodson both of which would be no worse then rosenfels

litlharsh
02-28-2008, 06:38 PM
you guys if it went down Sage would be given a chance to earn the starting role, no doubt about it

Geo
02-28-2008, 06:42 PM
I hope the talk of the Vikes offering a 3rd round pick for Rosenfels is untrue, but I really dislike it. I think it would be another phenomenally stupid move by the decision-makers, to be frank. Why on Earth would you give up a 3rd round pick for Rosenfels, especially in such a great draft?

I understand this is a make or break year for Childress, but come on. At least get a better quarterback, cripes. You're better off keeping the pick and playing Bollinger.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Rosenfels would likely start. He's much better than Tavaris Jackson at the moment, and probably longterm as well.

The only problem is that it still really doesn't adress the position longterm. But for a team that has a legit chance at winning the division next year (the Bears sure as hell aren't), getting a solid vet QB isn't a bad idea.

Geo
02-28-2008, 06:49 PM
The Jets wouldn't trade Pennington for a 3rd round pick? Heck, I'd bet the Bills would give up Losman for a 5th or maybe even a 6th round pick.

It's not like the Vikings don't have the cap space to give a guy a one-year extension on an existing deal.

A 3rd for Rosenfels. No wonder the fanbase wants Childress and GM Rick Spielman (who made some laughably bad trades in Miami, good to know he hasn't lost the touch) out of town. It's like looking at the NFC version of Cam Cameron and Randy Mueller, a offensive coordinator trying to be a HC and a failed GM who belongs back at ESPN.

litlharsh
02-28-2008, 06:50 PM
The Jets wouldn't trade Pennington for a 3rd round pick? Heck, I'd bet the Bills would give up Losman for a 5th or maybe even a 6th round pick.

It's not like the Vikings don't have the cap space to give a guy a one-year extension on an existing deal.

A 3rd for Rosenfels. No wonder the fanbase wants Childress and GM Rick Spielman (who made some laughably bad trades in Miami, good to know he hasn't lost the touch) out of town.

Well after the fairly spectacular draft we had last year Vikings fans are starting to shed some of the animosity towards the two...

bearsfan_51
02-28-2008, 06:53 PM

A 3rd for Rosenfels. No wonder the fanbase wants Childress and GM Rick Spielman (who made some laughably bad trades in Miami, good to know he hasn't lost the touch) out of town. It's like looking at the NFC version of Cam Cameron and Randy Mueller, a offensive coordinator trying to be a HC and a failed GM who belongs back at ESPN.

I'm not sure Chad Pennington is any better than Sage.

And I really doubt the Bills would trade Losman for that little. If they would then maybe there is some value there, but if they've targeted Rosenfels (and personally I would prefer him over the other two), I don't think there's a problem there.

Rosenfels did exceptionally well last year in Houston, and has always been pretty well thought of in league circles from what I've read. At least more so than fan perception would allow.

Vikes99ej
02-28-2008, 07:05 PM
And our wonderful offseason starts with a bang!!!

Cunningham
02-28-2008, 07:31 PM
sage rosenfels is not going to bring a superbowl to minnesota. we're better off sticking with tarvaris for this season. if he doesn't become more consistant with his accuracy and decision making then we look for a signal caller next offseason. a third round pick for a backup quarterback is incredibly stupid.

Kid_Ego
02-28-2008, 07:51 PM
the qb class is weaker next season this this season which means we are stuck and handcuffed for two more seasons which is exactly why you protect the teams best interest and get a guy THIS year

Cunningham
02-28-2008, 08:54 PM
good news...

Vikes, Titans break off Rosenfels trade talks

"Word out of Houston" is that the Vikings and Titans have broken off talks about a possible trade involving Sage Rosenfels.

The Vikings likely wouldn't budge from their offer of a third-round pick, while the Texans were holding out for a second-rounder. Matt Schaub missed five games with injuries in 2007, so Houston is playing it safe.

bad news...

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune suggests the Vikes may now turn their attention to J.P. Losman. Feb. 28 - 9:49 pm et

DHVF
02-28-2008, 08:58 PM
I wouldn't mind JP Losman as our backup, provided he comes cheap. Honestly though, I think it may be a wiser decision to go with a guy such as Quinn Gray or Cleo Lemon in free agency.

The Dynasty
02-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Yeah I was worried right now as i read that we might give up a 3rd for Sage. But i just say that the talks went cold from pft.com I agree with dhvf that we should bring in Lemon or Gray instead of trading. I dont like giving up 3rd or 4th round picks for Average QB's for backups.

Just saw this on PFT.com

BATTLE BREWING FOR BERRIAN

Adam Caplan of Scout.com reports that Bears receiver Bernard Berrian is expected to be pursued aggressively by the Vikings and the Titans as of midnight tonight.

Per Caplan, the 49ers also could enter the mix.

Berrian is generally regarded as the second best receiving free agent available, behind Randy Moss.

Published reports earlier in the day indicated that the Bears offered Berrian $8 million in guaranteed money, and that he wanted north of $12 million.

Kid_Ego
02-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Im not a huge berrian fan. Yes hes an upgrade but hes almost as inconsitant as the other we got. I know there isnt alot out there but I can I just go on record as to say lets bring Daunte and Randy back and pretend like none of this ever happened.

The Dynasty
02-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Im not a huge berrian fan. Yes hes an upgrade but hes almost as inconsitant as the other we got. I know there isnt alot out there but I can I just go on record as to say lets bring Daunte and Randy back and pretend like none of this ever happened.

Well I guarantee that Culpepper will never come back to Minnesota as long as Childress is our Head Coach. Childress didn't like how culepepper fit in the systemso he traded him. Moss I would love him to come back but He's going to sign with Patriots in like 17 minutes so I dont know about that.

swagger
02-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Berrian will be in town tomorrow. Get it done, Vikes!!!!

DHVF
02-29-2008, 12:01 AM
God, I really don't want Justin Smith though. He just seems like he'd b another deadbeat end that can't get to the qb. I would much rather get Madieu

The Dynasty
02-29-2008, 12:22 AM
From PFT.com

POSTED 12:42 a.m. EST, February 29, 2008

BERRIAN TO VISIT VIKES

Barely a half hour into free agency, and the Vikings have set up a Friday visit with Bears receiver Bernard Berrian.

Berrian wants a contract that pays out $24.5 million over the first three years, and that includes $12 million guaranteed.

He would provide a deep threat for the Vikings' West Coast offense. Having a guy who can stretch the field opens up the various underneath routes in the system.

SMITH TO VISIT VIKES

As owner Zygi Wilf's plane heads to California to fetch receiver Bernard Berrian, the Vikes also have made arrangements for a Friday visit from Bengals defensive end Justin Smith.

Smith played for Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier when Frazier worked in that same role with the Bengals.

The Vikings have a need for help at defensive end because Kenechi Udeze recently was diagnosed with leukemia. Smith was Cincinnati's franchise player in 2007.

Come on Vikes lets get Berrian. Dont Let him Leave the Building pleaseee.

Vikes99ej
02-29-2008, 12:53 AM
I'm so excited Smith is visiting. I didn't think he was going to.

Kid_Ego
02-29-2008, 01:06 AM
My guess would be it is harder sell to berrian then to Smith gee Justin would you like to be a one dimentional end who gets to stand next to two perinal pro bowlers and get 12 sacks next year? My guess is the answer is yes.

Berrian would you like to be the leading receiver on a team who refuses to pass the ball. In fact during a win last year our qb thru a total of 12 passes.

bearsfan_51
02-29-2008, 01:13 AM
Berrian would you like to be the leading receiver on a team who refuses to pass the ball. In fact during a win last year our qb thru a total of 12 passes.
He's used to it.

The Dynasty
02-29-2008, 01:15 AM
My guess would be it is harder sell to berrian then to Smith gee Justin would you like to be a one dimentional end who gets to stand next to two perinal pro bowlers and get 12 sacks next year? My guess is the answer is yes.

We passed, Just not as often as run but Its not Tarvaris Fault for having Terrible Receivers. So Please stop Blaming Tarvaris for 12 passing touchdowns. If we get Berrian. Then Berrian and Rice should be our WR Duo for years to come and will help out Tarvaris greatly. A lot better than Troy, Ferguson and Wade.

Kid_Ego
02-29-2008, 01:24 AM
For the record he had 9 not twelve.

I agree on the used to it part. The only diffrence was Grossman didnt have to ask daddy Chilly to pass the ball like T-Jack does? Daddy we are down by 4 tds can I pass the ball the second half please daddy please. Ok Little T its ok the game is out of reach you can now go ahead and pass the ball.

49ersfan_87
02-29-2008, 01:27 AM
So is Justin Smith visiting you guys first, or the 49ers?

And how would you guys feel about signing Justin Smith? I for one wouldn't like it at all with the high price he would command.

The Dynasty
02-29-2008, 01:30 AM
So is Justin Smith visiting you guys first, or the 49ers?

And how would you guys feel about signing Justin Smith? I for one wouldn't like it at all with the high price he would command.

According to pft.com He is visiting the Vikings first and Berrian is getting on zygi wilf's plane to come to Minnesota.

Crazy_Chris
02-29-2008, 01:37 AM
Oh thank god we cut off the trade talks for Rosenfels. I like the idea of bringing in J.P. Losman to compete with Tarvaris.

Kid_Ego
02-29-2008, 01:38 AM
49eers signed D thomas from the vikes good pick up 9eers dude has mad speed and was a back up at all the linebacker positions He was a guy I was really hoping would beat leber out.

Kid_Ego
02-29-2008, 01:39 AM
We need the HEFTY LEFTY !!!!!!!! hes cheap and cant be any worse then bollinger plus its just fun to say

Crazy_Chris
02-29-2008, 01:44 AM
No thanks... He would get destroyed whenver he came into the game considering Ryan Cook would be protecting his blind side.

Kid_Ego
02-29-2008, 01:46 AM
good point and we got no idea who is going to be protecting his other side. Whaat yall think about an Issac Bruce signing? He could really help out this young core of receivers.

Kid_Ego
02-29-2008, 01:49 AM
Moss went back to the Patriots :( but thats better then the cowgirls!! and thank god not the Packers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid_Ego
02-29-2008, 02:01 AM
I wonder if we sign smith and berrian if we make a move in the draft? maybe up or down, Personally Id almost rather move down. Because I truly feel like Safety could be covered if we just moved Winfield or one of the other two corners to safety, McCaully or Griffin? This year Second rounders are premium picks, Especially at DE CB TE RB even LB. Now we lost Thomas I wouldnt mind getting EJ's Brother!!!!!!

litlharsh
02-29-2008, 08:12 AM
My dream would be to sign Isaac Bruce and Madeu Williams, grab Harvey in the 1st and a wideout in the 2nd.

The Dynasty
02-29-2008, 09:01 AM
My dream would be to sign Isaac Bruce and Madeu Williams, grab Harvey in the 1st and a wideout in the 2nd.

I wouldnt mind bruce but i saw where is meeting with the niners and his old coach is now the OC there Mike Martz. So I dont think the Niners would pass him up. Could happen but idk.

We really need to sign Berrian. We are desperate at WR and He could help.

The_Dude
02-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Per Profootballtalk.com:

POSTED 11:25 a.m. EST, February 29, 2008

VIKES TO BID HELLO TO MADIEU?

Adam Caplan of Scout.com reports that the Vikings are working on the parameters of a contract with safety Madieu Williams.

He's reportedly going to fly to Minnesota today to meet with the team, and a deal could be done.

The Vikings desperately need help at safety, given the release of Dwight Smith and the free-agent status of Tank Williams and Mike Doss.

Thoughts?

DHVF
02-29-2008, 10:49 AM
I absolutely love the fact that we likely will be signing Madieu. We'll finally have a safety with some range! PRAISE THE HEAVENS!

swagger
02-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Pretty expense contract. 6 years, $34 million.

pete_norm
02-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Confirmed now it seems:

From PFT.

VIKES LAND MADIEU

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Minnesota Vikings have worked out an agreement with free-agent safety Madieu Williams.

The deal for Madieu is six years, $34 million.

He's expected to sign the contract when he arrives in Minnesota later today.

Free agent season start pretty well if you ask me...

RollingMoss
02-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Come on Vikes lets get Berrian. Dont Let him Leave the Building pleaseee.

Am I the only one that realizes Moss is a free agent? I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!

So, one last time....Randy Moss, Free Agent, Us, Lots of Cap Space, Need Deep Threat, Good God, Just Give it A Shot, That's All I Ask, Bernard ******* Berrian?! WHO CARES! He's a more reliable Troy Williamson - is that really the phrase you want to use for a guy asking for that amount of money? Granted, you could sugarcoat it and give him a better description, but you know my description works.

My feelings in Haiku

Bernard Berrian
Is Not As Good As Randy
Don't We All Know This?

One more

We Have the Money
We Could Have AP And Moss
Make It Happen Brad

(Yeah, I'm a dreamer, but isn't that what free agency is about? Oh, and RANDY MOSS IS A FREE AGENT, MAKE A ******* MOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE FOR HIM! THE PATS ****** UP, WE HAVE A CHANCE, EVEN IF WE DONT' GET HIM, WHO CARES, AT LEAST ******* TRY. Ah......venting is good.)

Vikings4ever
02-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Lost D. Thomas.

49ers | Team signs D. Thomas
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 00:11:38 -0800
John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the San Francisco 49ers have signed free agent LB Dontarrious Thomas (Vikings) to a two-year deal.

KFFL.com

Also:

Vikings | Team to visit M. Hicks
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 08:08:41 -0800
Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports free-agent RB Maurice Hicks (49ers) will meet with the Minnesota Vikings this weekend.

Vikings4ever
02-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Confirmed now it seems:

From PFT.

VIKES LAND MADIEU

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Minnesota Vikings have worked out an agreement with free-agent safety Madieu Williams.

The deal for Madieu is six years, $34 million.

He's expected to sign the contract when he arrives in Minnesota later today.

Free agent season start pretty well if you ask me...

ESPN says 33 million. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3270653

RollingMoss
02-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Lost D. Thomas.

49ers | Team signs D. Thomas
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 00:11:38 -0800
John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the San Francisco 49ers have signed free agent LB Dontarrious Thomas (Vikings) to a two-year deal.

That sucks. Thomas was always under and poorly utilized. Shoulda bulked him up, put him at DE, and told him to just go get the QB. I bet he'll be good w/ San Fran.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww, 33million for Madieu? Reallllllllll-he-he-hehe-he-lllllllllllllly?

The_Dude
02-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Am I the only one that realizes Moss is a free agent? I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!

I think that you ARE taking Crazy Pills.

Anyone else remember what a pain in the *** Moss is/was for any team, coach, or QB that doesn't reside in New England?

Yes he is super-talented and available, be he will quickly revert to being a curmudgeon as soon as he landed at the airport.

There is no way that he would play as hard as he did or keep his mouth shut as well as he did for anyone other than the Patriots. They have what he wants... Super Bowl rings and a coach, QB, and team that can help him get one, too.

There is no chance that he returns to MN.

No chance.

General Zod
02-29-2008, 11:58 AM
I dont like losing Thomas.

But Williams is a great sign.

Did we overpay for him? Yeah.

Is it coming out of my pocket? No, So I dont care. lol

Is it an upgrade from Dwight Smith? Big time.

RollingMoss
02-29-2008, 12:19 PM
I think that you ARE taking Crazy Pills.

Haha, well played.

Anyone else remember what a pain in the *** Moss is/was for any team, coach, or QB that doesn't reside in New England?

You say pain in the ass, I say 15Tds/year.

Yes he is super-talented and available, be he will quickly revert to being a curmudgeon as soon as he landed at the airport.

I've heard Moss described as so many things; never curmudgeon...I like that one. But what's the matter with being a curmudgeon? Walter Mattheau was a curmudgeon, I didn't mind that, and he didn't score 15/TDs a year, or make Todd Bouman!!! look like an NFL QB, and Mattheau couldn't open the field for the greatest running talent the game's seen in years! COME ON! JUST AN ATTEMPT, IT'S ALL I ASK, I KNOW THERE'S LESS THAN A -1% CHANCE, BUT WHO CARES?!!? GIVE IT A GO! After the Pats, who do you think has the best shot of getting Moss? I'd swear on a stack of Korans, it's Us. He never wanted to leave, and that was before we had a pretty good D and some kid named Peterson. We could do this.

There is no way that he would play as hard as he did or keep his mouth shut as well as he did for anyone other than the Patriots. They have what he wants... Super Bowl rings and a coach, QB, and team that can help him get one, too.

Says you. I say he'd see the open NFC (I mean, some team that lost to us 41-17 won the conference...and then beat his "super bowl rings and coach, QB" team. He'd see our weak division (the Pack = fluke), our weak conference (Dallas = mirage), and he'd see AP and go "Hey now."

There is no chance that he returns to MN.

No chance.

I'm aware...but as long as he is a Free Agent, I will continue to pray to Shiva that we get him back.

P.S: Zod, it ain't coming out of your pocket, but it's coming out of the salary cap. Now, that being said, Madieu's got the talent to make it a good signing and teams finangle contracts to make it alright, so on second thought, I'm on board. Good signing, overpayed or not.

themaninblack
02-29-2008, 12:23 PM
you guys got a good one in madieu. he hasn't quite lived up to his potential yet but sharper should really help him out alot. i really wish we coulda kept him but we cant really afford it.

The_Dude
02-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Add the oft-injured, MN-born Thomas Tapeh to our roster.... i'd still prefer Richardson, though.

Vikings4ever
02-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Add the oft-injured, MN-born Thomas Tapeh to our roster.... i'd still prefer Richardson, though.

I was hoping we'd go after Lorenzo Neal.

bearsfan_51
02-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Haha...I love how everyone and their mother knew the Eagles would sign Thomas Tapeh.

The_Dude
02-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Haha...I love how everyone and their mother knew the Eagles would sign Thomas Tapeh.

You mean the "Eagles-West"???

I don't understand Childress's fascination with the Eagles' garbage.... ugh!

Vikes99ej
02-29-2008, 12:53 PM

Vikings, you mean?

I like this signing.

RollingMoss
02-29-2008, 12:58 PM
You mean the "Eagles-West"???

I don't understand Childress's fascination with the Eagles' garbage.... ugh!

Whoa whoa whowaaaaaaaaaaaa....you callin' Billy McMullen garb - ah, I couldn't even make it through that with a straight face.

I sort-of, kind-of like the Tapeh signing, gotta be cheap at least - and he does have talent. As for a brain, though...

TRich did so many little things. We're gonna miss him.

Crazy_Chris
02-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Well we couldn't get the deal done with Berian before he left the facility. He is off to have a visit with the Oakland Raiders.

the_legend_killer
02-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Madieu is good, but damn is that a lot of money. Tapeh is a step down from Richardson IMO, even if he is younger.

Crazy_Chris
02-29-2008, 04:03 PM
It could be alot of money I believe only 12 million of it is garunteed.

Vikes99ej
02-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Well we couldn't get the deal done with Berian before he left the facility. He is off to have a visit with the Oakland Raiders.

Where'd you hear that?

Vikings exec Rick Spielman confirms that receiver Bernard Berrian and safety Madieu Williams are in town. Both are undergoing physicals. Williams has a deal that is expected to become official once he passes the physical — he has agreed to a six-year contract — and Berrian negotiations are likely taking place.

From StarTribune.

Crazy_Chris
02-29-2008, 04:15 PM
http://rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=NFL

Vikings4ever
02-29-2008, 04:18 PM

All that their source says is that Berrian is expected to go to Oakland NEXT, not that he's on the way there.

Vikes99ej
02-29-2008, 04:19 PM

I'd trust both Minneapolis newspapers over that rumor mill anyday. Mine was reported at 3:59 PM CT.

swagger
02-29-2008, 04:32 PM
It's hilarious that Rotoworld indeed just completely botched what their article said. Saying he's expected to go to Oakland next is not the same as being en route to Oakland.

"Free agent Bernard Berrian is reportedly en route to Oakland."
vs
"In other news, wide receiver Bernard Berrian is expected to go to the Oakland Raiders next."

No, Rotoworld, Berrian is not reportedly en route to Oakland. He's reportedly expected to at some point be en route to Oakland.

Crazy_Chris
02-29-2008, 04:33 PM
It is just posting the news it got from the Chicago Sun Times.

All that their source says is that Berrian is expected to go to Oakland NEXT, not that he's on the way there.

Exactly thats all I said we coudln't get him signed before he left now he is off to visit the raiders.

Vikings4ever
02-29-2008, 04:38 PM
It is just posting the news it got from the Chicago Sun Times.

Exactly thats all I said we coudln't get him signed before he left now he is off to visit the raiders.

Except according the the Star Tribune, he hasn't left yet. As of 40 minutes ago, Spielman said he was in town, taking a physical.

ETA: From the same link:

It sounds like Williams and Berrian will continue meeting with coaches and other staff members through Saturday, meaning that no formal announcement on either player’s signing is expected before then.

http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1384

swagger
02-29-2008, 04:42 PM
I will trust Rick Spielman over the Sun Times and Rotoworld minconstruing what the Sun Times was trying to say:

"Vikings VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman confirmed that WR Bernard Berrian and S Madieu Williams are in town. Both are undergoing physicals. Williams has a deal that is expected to become official once he passes the physical — he has agreed to a six-year contract — and Berrian negotiations are likely taking place."

Meaning Berrian will be here well into tomorrow, making it impossible he's en route to Oakland. I still have hope we will sign him before he goes anywhere.

swagger
02-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Whoops, I left that clip out:

"It sounds like Williams and Berrian will continue meeting with coaches and other staff members through Saturday, meaning that no formal announcement on either player’s signing is expected before then."

Crazy_Chris
02-29-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm really not worried it isn't the end of the world if we can't sign him before he leaves to meet with Oakland. I mean come on a team in the early stages of rebuilding or a team ready to win just missing a couple of pieces? Not a tough choice IMO.

RollingMoss
02-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Bernard Berrian hasn't signed? That's called a "good thing"...You know what else is a "good thing"? This:

Rotoworld 6:36pm EST
ESPN's John Clayton reports the Patriots are not close to a deal with free agent Randy Moss.

I'm sorry to be such a douche/prick about this, but I'm flabbergasted Nobody Else - including other teams, for that matter - realizes that Randy Moss - you know, that guy who loved the fans here, who said twice THIS YEAR he wanted to retire a Viking - the guy who makes Bernard Berrian look like a pile of dripping sloppy excrement in terms of being a "wide receiver" - and oh, we just so happen to Need a wide receiver - anyway, Nobody Else realizes Randy Moss is Fair Game! He's a FREE AGENT!!! This bull about the Pats and better super bowl chances - what, in an AFC that's more loaded than Lindsay Lohan on a weekend (aliteration made me go with that analogy, I'm sorry)...

Anyway, who's got a better super bowl chance, and I'm dead serious: The Pats, in that conference w/ a defense that isn't as good as ours (once again, dead serious), and not to mention that karma now has it in for the Pats....or Us w/ Moss??? We'd have the best WR and RB, he'd make TJack look a hell of a lot better, help Sidney...And you're pining for Bernard Berrian???????????

This isn't Debatable. I refuse Debate. Debate has been refused.

We have the money, we have the need, we have pieces - and wasting that on Bernard Berrian when we could make a play for Randy is making me Sick.

Bring. Back. Moss...Or at least try, I just wanna hear that we're at least trying, that's all. Alright, douche rant over.

giver17
02-29-2008, 06:20 PM
we need to focus on another guy, Javon Walker... he has been released and he is a great player. He has had problems with staying healthy, I know, but come on he is only 6years in to his career and is proven to be a playmaker. plus letting him open up two times a year against the packers would be sweet too

The Dynasty
02-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Bernard Berrian hasn't signed? That's called a "good thing"...You know what else is a "good thing"? This:

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Patriots are not close to a deal with free agent Randy Moss.

I'm sorry to be such a douche/prick about this, but I'm flabbergasted Nobody Else - including other teams, for that matter - realizes that Randy Moss - you know, that guy who loved the fans here, who said twice THIS YEAR he wanted to retire a Viking - the guy who makes Bernard Berrian look like a pile of dripping sloppy excrement in terms of being a "wide receiver" - and oh, we just so happen to Need a wide receiver - anyway, Nobody Else realizes Randy Moss is Fair Game! He's a FREE AGENT!!! This bull about the Pats and better super bowl chances - what, in an AFC that's more loaded than Lindsay Lohan on a weekend (aliteration made me go with that analogy, I'm sorry)...

Anyway, who's got a better super bowl chance, and I'm dead serious: The Pats, in that conference w/ a defense that isn't as good as ours (once again, dead serious), and not to mention that karma now has it in for the Pats....or Us w/ Moss??? We'd have the best WR and RB, he'd make TJack look a hell of a lot better, help Sidney...And you're pining for Bernard Berrian???????????

We have the money, we have the need, we have pieces - and wasting that on Bernard Berrian when we could make a play for Randy is making me Sick.

Bring. Back. Moss...Or at least try, I just wanna hear that we're at least trying, that's all. Alright, douche rant over.

Dude...Moss isnt coming back. I love Moss he is my favorite player and He wont come back.

Where did you get that stuff Swagger? I reallly want us to sign Berrian. Adam Schefter believes that he will sign with the Vikings. I usually listen to him for my official news so idk I hope so.

Vikes99ej
02-29-2008, 06:45 PM

God, enough with the Moss crap. There isn't a snowflake's chance in hell he's coming back.

giver17
02-29-2008, 06:53 PM

seriously man, you need to take it down a notch with all this moss talk. first off he is going to re-sign with the patriots. secondly, there is no way he is ever going come back here, unless it is to do a day contract to retire as a viking, and even that seems like it is unrealistic.

basically, you should just drop it, and move on with life. that is the only way to keep your sanity

RollingMoss
02-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Meh, passes the time at work.

He's a free agent, we need a receiver, and I hate Bernard Berrian. I'll leave it at that.

One thing: The only unrealistic thing I've read is people thinking Berrian's gonna be a #1 receiver and open up the field.

Vikes99ej
02-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Berrian update, per StarTribune.com

Bernard Berrian is meeting with the Vikings tonight and if everything goes according to Zygi Wilf’s plan Berrian will be wearing a Vikings cap at a news conference tomorrow. That’s if everything goes according to plan. If that does not happen, Berrian likely will head to Oakland to meet with the Raiders. The Vikings certainly don’t want that to happen.

The Dynasty
02-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Berrian update, per StarTribune.com

Come On Vikings I wanna wake up tomorrow and see Berrian in Purple and Gold.

Vikes99ej
02-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Come On Vikings I wanna wake up tomorrow and see Berrian in Purple and Gold.

As do I, brother.

The_Dude
02-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Alright, douche rant over.

We'll see about that....

just kidding.

Even though i love Moss, there is no chance that he ever wears the Purple and Gold again.

Tobzilla
02-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Looks like Justin Smith is on his way to Minneapolis for negotiations. I really would like to get this guy, he'll be amazing with the two Willams' taking up all the blocks.

The_Dude
02-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Looks like Justin Smith is on his way to Minneapolis for negotiations. I really would like to get this guy, he'll be amazing with the two Willams' taking up all the blocks.

Link? Source?

That would be awesome.

The Dynasty
02-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Today was Bad enough for me. I was up in Buffalo all day doing things so i couldnt here any News but Once I headed back i heard the Vikings signed Williams I was excited then I heard Berrian was going to Oakland I was very upset but now seeing that im excited again lol.

Vikes99ej
02-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Link? Source?

That would be awesome.

StarTribune:

Meanwhile as Vikings execs try to impress Berrian, the plan remains for Bengals defensive end Justin Smith to visit on Saturday. Smith is supposed to board a plane sometime this evening and head for Minnesota after visiting with the 49ers today

Vikings4ever
02-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Vikings | Tapeh contract update
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 17:14:25 -0800

Judd Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings FB Thomas Tapeh signed a five-year contract with the team worth $6 million. Just over $1 million of his contract is guaranteed money.

Cunningham
02-29-2008, 07:42 PM
i don't want justin smith at all. he's simply an average player that is going to be WAY overpaid. we'd be much better off drafting harvey in the first round then to break the bank on this guy.

Tobzilla
02-29-2008, 07:55 PM
i don't want justin smith at all. he's simply an average player that is going to be WAY overpaid. we'd be much better off drafting harvey in the first round then to break the bank on this guy.

I think it's a little overzealous to think that a rookie will out perform a proven NFL vet. Sure, his numbers were down last year but keep in mind that in Cincy he has never had quality teammates playing with him on the line. That will be much different in Minny and I'd like to see what he can do against single coverage.

Cunningham
02-29-2008, 08:06 PM
I think it's a little overzealous to think that a rookie will out perform a proven NFL vet. Sure, his numbers were down last year but keep in mind that in Cincy he has never had quality teammates playing with him on the line. That will be much different in Minny and I'd like to see what he can do against single coverage.
how is justin smith proven, what has he ever accomplished in the nfl? the only thing he's proven is that he's not an elite pass rusher which is what we desperately need. with out one our secondary has been left out to dry time and time again and the addition of smith wouldn't change that.

Tobzilla
02-29-2008, 08:14 PM
how is justin smith proven, what has he ever accomplished in the nfl? the only thing he's proven is that he's not an elite pass rusher which is what we desperately need. with out one our secondary has been left out to dry time and time again and the addition of smith wouldn't change that.

He's proven because he's had six years in this league with around 6-8 sacks per year, which is pretty damn consistent...and like I said before, he was the only talented person on the Cincy line (for years), which means he was always seeing double teams. Since Pat and Kevin attract so many blocks, expect Smith to be even more productive.

What makes you think Harvey will immediately become a "dominant" pass rusher? Is he proven? I'd say he's overrated, personally. Gholston and Long are the two DE's in this draft who will have capability of immediate and drastic production(10+ sacks).

Cunningham
02-29-2008, 08:24 PM
He's proven because he's had six years in this league with around 6-8 sacks per year, which is pretty damn consistent...and like I said before, he was the only talented person on the Cincy line (for years), which means he was always seeing double teams. Since Pat and Kevin attract so many blocks, expect Smith to be even more productive.
i don't buy the 'not being surrounded by talent excuse'. look at what elvis dumervil did last season in denver, racking up 12.5 sacks despite playing on a line that was equally bad if not worse then that of the bengals.

What makes you think Harvey will immediately become a "dominant" pass rusher? Is he proven? I'd say he's overrated, personally. Gholston and Long are the two DE's in this draft who will have capability of immediate and drastic production(10+ sacks).
i never said harvey would come in and dominate right away but overtime he has the potential to be an elite pass rusher. he has much higher upside then smith.

Tobzilla
02-29-2008, 08:46 PM
i don't buy the 'not being surrounded by talent excuse'. look at what elvis dumervil did last season in denver, racking up 12.5 sacks despite playing on a line that was equally bad if not worse then that of the bengals.

i never said harvey would come in and dominate right away but overtime he has the potential to be an elite pass rusher. he has much higher upside then smith.

It just doesn't make sense. Why not sign smith, fill the hole at DE and focus on drafting a WR or RT in the first. IMO, that's our best case scenario.

giver17
02-29-2008, 09:45 PM
well if we lock up berrian we will not be getting a WR in the first, I am sure of that. Honestly, if we got berrian and Smith, then my guess is we would trade down in the draft and target a RT. I wouldn't be against either. I think Smith is a huge upgrade to our DE situation. I do like Robinson though, so hopefully he will see a lot more time this season.

crazyisme
02-29-2008, 09:47 PM
lol at Denver's DLine being worse than Cinci's...dont think ive ever read a dumber statement.

Crazy_Chris
02-29-2008, 10:30 PM
We won't be targeting a WR in the first period. If we sign both Smith & Berrian we will still be looking at DE if someone like Harvey falls to us. If not OT would be the pick and Brian Brohm would probably get some serious consideration. A Darkhorse in that situation im calling right now is Kentwan Balmer DT North Carolina.

Dr. Gonzo
02-29-2008, 10:32 PM
If we sign Justin Smith I would love it if we picked Chris Williams. I also think Derrick Harvey wold be a great pick. I still think Harvey will help solve our pass rush problems.

The Dynasty
02-29-2008, 10:34 PM
I still would like the Vikings draft a guy in round 2 or 3 if we get Berrian. To have him gain experience and to come in also to contribute. I would prefer One of the third round picks. Lavelle Hawkins is a guy i wouldn't mind. Same with Earl Bennett.

Dr. Gonzo
02-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Right now I think we should go DE and OT in the first two rounds. I would then like a WR and BPA in round 3 and a QB like JDB in round 4. I think we should also go after Owen Schmidt or Jacob Hester.

Crazy_Chris
02-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Personally if we sign both Justin Smith and Bernard Berian I would like one of these scenarios

1.Trade up to make sure we get Derrick Harvey

2.If Derrick Harvey doesn't fall to us at #17 take Brian Brohm.

Dr. Gonzo
02-29-2008, 11:10 PM
**** Brohm. I saw we stay at 17 and take either Harvey or the best OT left. I am for drafting a QB, I would just prefer we don't do it until round 3 at the earliest.

Crazy_Chris
02-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Why wait until round 3? Henne/JDB or Brohm is an easy choice. We need a QB period because we have crap for Backups I like Tarvaris but he isn't that proven yet. Brohm would make for great competition/insurance. If we get rid of the particular need at LDE(Justin Smith) and Derrick Harvey is gone at #17 I see no reason not to go ahead and take Brohm.

Dr. Gonzo
02-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Because we still need a pass blocking OT. The choice between the three quaterbacks is an easy on, but Henne and JDB will cost a third rounder while Brohm will have to be picked in the first. We would be much better off going with an OT, Harvey or even Kenny Phillips then Brohm. I think at this point trading down is our best option.

Crazy_Chris
02-29-2008, 11:24 PM
I don't care if Henne or JDB would be cheaper cost wise, they aren't as good of competition or insurance. If Tarvaris doesn't continue progressing and doesn't pan out I would feel MUCH MUCH more comfortable having Brohm waiting in the wings as opposed to Henne or JDB(or another 3rd round QB).

Cunningham
02-29-2008, 11:31 PM
lol at Denver's DLine being worse than Cinci's...dont think ive ever read a dumber statement.
denvers defense gave up an average of 142.6 yards per game ranking them third to last in the league. this can be largely attributed to the pathetic play of the defensive line, particularly the tackles. in comparison, the bengals gave up an average of 118.3 yards per game. dumervil also accounted for over half of the sacks by denvers defensive linemen

my point is that broncos defensive line blew just as hard as the bengals line and i wish i hadn't wasted the few minutes it took to write this post.

Cunningham
02-29-2008, 11:36 PM
I don't care if Henne or JDB would be cheaper cost wise, they aren't as good of competition or insurance. If Tarvaris doesn't continue progressing and doesn't pan out I would feel MUCH MUCH more comfortable having Brohm waiting in the wings as opposed to Henne or JDB(or another 3rd round QB).
i wouldn't spend a first round pick on a quarterback knowing that there's a decent chance he'll only serve as a backup while staying with the team.

and lord help us if we draft john davidy booty.

The Dynasty
02-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Does anyone know yet if Berrian has left yet or Is he still in Minnesota? I still hope he is in Minnesota. I Just dont want Berrian to leave like Curtis did and we miss out on someone who could help us.

Crazy_Chris
02-29-2008, 11:40 PM
But we don't really know that he will just be a Backup. If Tarvaris hopefully pans out we have some decent trade bait in Brohm. If Tarvaris doesn't pan out we have a good QB prospect on the roster that can step in. I really don't want to be going into next years draft with the possibilty of looking at some one like Tim Tebow(if he were to declare), Todd Boeckman ETC. not a lot of good QB prospects next year.

Crazy_Chris
02-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Does anyone know yet if Berrian has left yet or Is he still in Minnesota? I still hope he is in Minnesota. I Just dont want Berrian to leave like Curtis did and we miss out on someone who could help us.

He is out house shopping lol.

The Dynasty
02-29-2008, 11:43 PM
He is out house shopping lol.

Ohhh No wonder why were not hearing anything...Childress and Spielmen must be the interior decorators for his house. lol.

Cunningham
02-29-2008, 11:44 PM
i would sell the house to trade up for stafford next year if tarvaris doesn't show improvement.

Crazy_Chris
02-29-2008, 11:48 PM
Isn't he a junior too? Either way I would take Brohm over Matt Stafford.

Crazy_Chris
03-01-2008, 01:14 AM

I just read this on the Vikings Scout.com boards(not sure how credible it is) but the person claims that on Sirius Satelite radio NFL channel, Adam Schefter said Bernard Berrian is still in Minnesota and expected to sign a 5 year deal tomorrow morning.

Tobzilla
03-01-2008, 01:28 AM
I just read this on the Vikings Scout.com boards(not sure how credible it is) but the person claims that on Sirius Satelite radio NFL channel, Adam Schefter said Bernard Berrian is still in Minnesota and expected to sign a 5 year deal tomorrow morning.

:) This is getting juicy

Crazy_Chris
03-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Don't get too excited, like I said it's just some poster claiming he heard it so I wouldn't put too much into it, but hopefully it is true.

The_Dude
03-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Per ESPN:

The San Franciso 49ers and defensive end Justin Smith agreed to a six-year, $45 million contract that included $20 million in guarantees.

Smith
Smith, who had played all of his seven previous seasons in the NFL in Cincinnati, was given the franchise tag by the Bengals in 2007.

Smith was the fourth overall pick in the 2001 draft out of Missouri. He has 43 ½ career sacks but managed only two last season. Smith has played in 16 games every season except his rookie campaign when he made 15 appearances.

So much for signing Smith.... bummer

russie
03-01-2008, 08:54 AM
time to move on to a. odom from the titans

giver17
03-01-2008, 09:54 AM
yeah, well they overpaid the hell out of smith, so whatever.

The Dynasty
03-01-2008, 10:28 AM
I really wanna know why we havent heard anything today and last night about berrian other than he is still in Minnesota. I know there will be a press conference today for Williams but I just Hoping they introduce Berrian too. Oh Well... Good Things happen with patience i suppose.

DawgBone
03-01-2008, 10:31 AM
:) This is getting juicy

He was in Cleveland this morning and is now reportedly on his way to the Raiders to talk.......

Chris Speilman (from his radio show) out of Columbus reported yesterday that the Vikings could be trading their 1st RD pick to Cleveland for Derek Anderson. This has to have some credibility because Speilmans brother is the GM of the Vikings. What would you think of this move?

IMO Jackson isnt the answer and your team would have won at least 1 more game last year with Anderson, but who knows how many more? Your running game and deffense is to good to wasdte time with a project like Jackson.

The Dynasty
03-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Who dawgbone? And Link?

The Dynasty
03-01-2008, 10:49 AM
from Vikings Access on Startribune.com

Rosenhaus: I have no comment
March 1st, 2008 – 10:34 AM by Judd Zulgad
That’s the response we received moments ago from receiver Bernard Berrian’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, when we reached him. Rosenhaus almost always picks up his phone. Of course, that doesn’t do Access Vikings readers much good when he doesn’t answer any questions, such as, “Is your client going to Oakland today?” We’ve heard that Berrian and some Vikings execs broke bread last night in the Twin Cities after the receiver visited with the team.

Sooo...Doesnt really give us anything for right now but He could be talkin with the Vikings still or he is on a plane to oakland. No one knows where Berrian is and what he is doing except for him and Drew(but he uses his famous lines.) So I dont know.

The Dynasty
03-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Its Back........

from http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/AlsHotNwsRms.html

Trade Rumors...Trade rumors are swirling this morning involving the Vikings and Cardinals...the Cardinals are reportedly dissapointed that they couldn't restructure Larry Fitzgerald's contract and are considering dealing him to the Minnesota Vikings for draft picks...stay tuned!

Again Just Rumor but it could be a reason why we havent heard anything from Minnesota about Berrian. What Picks too...Im think 1st and 3rd and maybe something next year too. Would be worth it IMO but Depends On how much it will cost.

Vikes99ej
03-01-2008, 11:15 AM
I want to hear more about Berrian damnit. I know Bryant Johnson won't make it to us if we can't get Berrian signed. I'm not too high on Stallworth.

The Dynasty
03-01-2008, 11:19 AM
I want to hear more about Berrian damnit. I know Bryant Johnson won't make it to us if we can't get Berrian signed. I'm not too high on Stallworth.

Yeah I guess Bryant is going to Buffalo to talk but idk. Yeah I really wanna know whats going on with Berrian...Is he in Minnesota or Oakland? or Flying to Oakland.

Maybe He is having trouble picking a Jersey Number..80 Is retired....Lol. I wish that was the case.

litlharsh
03-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Another offseason, another batch of Fitz to the Vikings rumors.

The Dynasty
03-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Another offseason, another batch of Fitz to the Vikings rumors.

Wouldnt be an offseason without those rumors lol.

DawgBone
03-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Berrian was in Cleveland this morning along with Lance Briggs and Dante Stallworth. Berrian left town and KFFL.com reported acouple hours ago he was on his way to Oakland to meet with the ownership. This tells me he still hasnt found a deal he has liked after 2-3 plus visits?

I have no news on what happened with Briggs while in Cleveland, but I know for a fact it has allready been reported that Stallworth has checked into a Cleveland hotel for the night, so that points to a possible contract in the works?

Raiders | Berrian to visit team Saturday
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 07:33:14 -0800

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports free-agent WR Bernard Berrian (Bears) is scheduled to visit the Oakland Raiders Saturday, March 1.

FuzzyGopher
03-01-2008, 11:35 AM
I was a little disappointed to see that Smith had signed with San Francisco this morning. He would of filled Udeze's place nicely as he is strong can stop the run well and is a better pass rusher than him. However he is not an elite defensive end by any means and he got paid a ton of money. I guess that's how it goes with free agency as it's a supply vs demand situation.

I expect that Berrian will be signed by this afternoon and he will have a huge contract as well. I don't think we really have a choice than to overpay for him though as he is the best option available. We don't have time for a rookie to develop and we can't afford to give up high draft picks to trade for someone.

FuzzyGopher
03-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Berrian was in Cleveland this morning along with Lance Briggs and Dante Stallworth. Berrian left town and KFFL.com reported acouple hours ago he was on his way to Oakland to meet with the ownership. This tells me he still hasnt found a deal he has liked after 2-3 plus visits?

I have no news on what happened with Briggs while in Cleveland, but I know for a fact it has allready been reported that Stallworth has checked into a Cleveland hotel for the night, so that points to a possible contract in the works?

Raiders | Berrian to visit team Saturday
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 07:33:14 -0800

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports free-agent WR Bernard Berrian (Bears) is scheduled to visit the Oakland Raiders Saturday, March 1.

Berrian was in Minnesota this morning so I don't know where that came from. And Justin Smith was scheduled to come to Minnesota and we know how that turned out. It's probably just a safety net in case things fall through here.

DawgBone
03-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Sign Berrian and trade for Derek Anderson and you will have a very good offense and an even better deffense. Use the rest of your draft to sure positions up.

Your team is good enough exept for a WR and QB to win now. You cant get far in the playoffs with a project QB and no WR's worth a darn.

DawgBone
03-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Berrian was in Minnesota this morning so I don't know where that came from. And Justin Smith was scheduled to come to Minnesota and we know how that turned out. It's probably just a safety net in case things fall through here.

He was in Minnesota Friday morning. That was yesterday. Today there are allready news articles of him being in Cleveland with his teamate Lance Briggs. Also Donte Stallworth was there and they said all 3 players showed up within 15 minutes of each other. Berrian left Cleveland and according to reports is on a plane for Oakland.

DawgBone
03-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Vikings | Team to meet with Berrian
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:18:35 -0800

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Minnesota Vikings will meet with unrestricted free-agent WR Bernard Berrian (Bears) Friday, Feb. 29.

See they met with him yesterday.

DHVF
03-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Vikings | Team to meet with Berrian
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:18:35 -0800

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Minnesota Vikings will meet with unrestricted free-agent WR Bernard Berrian (Bears) Friday, Feb. 29.

See they met with him yesterday.
And he's still in Winter Park as of the latest reports. Try reading a bit.

RollingMoss
03-01-2008, 11:56 AM
I can't resist, can't resist, it's been another day, so...

Overpay for Bernard Berrian.............or pay what Moss has earned?

Awwwwwwwwww, the dreams of the deranged, eh?

Vikes99ej
03-01-2008, 12:00 PM
I can't resist, can't resist, it's been another day, so...

Overpay for Bernard Berrian.............or pay what Moss has earned?

Awwwwwwwwww, the dreams of the deranged, eh?

You might be one of the most annoying Vikings posters I've ever seen.

RollingMoss
03-01-2008, 12:02 PM

Haha, really? Because I don't think Bernard Berrian is the answer? Really? Because I think Moss would come back if we threw money at him - money we apparently want to throw at a slightly better Troy Williamson? Ok, sorry for Thinking.

P.S: I'm being pretty self-effacing here, and understand that I'm being "deranged" and "dreaming", but uh....see the thing is...I'm right. But being self-depricating apparently makes one "annoying" in your eyes.

The Dynasty
03-01-2008, 12:08 PM

Well...He's not the Worse..We have dealt with alot worse...Brady Quinn Fanatic...lol

Ill admit Hearing over and over again about Moss to minnesota is annoying. Dude Moss is not coming back, I will go crazy if he does but its not happening lol.

The Dynasty
03-01-2008, 12:17 PM
BERRIAN NEWS!! Finally.
From startribune.com vikings access blog.
Was that Berrian?

March 1st, 2008 – 12:12 PM by Judd Zulgad
An odd thing happened as media members waited in the Winter Park practice facility for the Madieu Williams’ news conference to begin. A Vikings official and someone wearing a Vikings cap and with a Vikings jersey in his arm emerged from the team’s weight room.

First thought: Did we just see Bernard Berrian? It certainly wasn’t Williams and it looked like Berrian.

There is no confirmation it was him. However, later in the news conference Vikings coach Brad Childress did say that Berrian remained upstairs at Winter Park and that talks were still ongoing with the receiver. “He’s not here against his will,” Childress joked. “He’s not shackled.”

But he could be a very rich man, very soon. Vikings exec Rick Spielman did and would not say if Berrian was going to try to take a visit to Oakland today. At this point, it would not be surprising to get wind of a Berrian news conference later this afternoon or Sunday morning.

As for defensive end Justin Smith, who signed with San Francisco and did not visit Minnesota, Spielman did not want to comment. ”He’s signed with the 49ers, so leave it at that,” Spielman said.

He's Still There..Hopefully That was him they saw.

FuzzyGopher
03-01-2008, 12:21 PM
BERRIAN NEWS!! Finally.
From startribune.com vikings access blog.

He's Still There..Hopefully That was him they saw.

No No No, he took the concord to Cleveland (Who doesn't even need a receiver) and now he is on his way to Oakland!!1!

litlharsh
03-01-2008, 12:36 PM
I hope the figure emerging from the weight room was Fitzy

FuzzyGopher
03-01-2008, 12:41 PM

They just confirmed it was Berrian.
http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1394

litlharsh
03-01-2008, 12:42 PM
that was a joke but still

Vikes99ej
03-01-2008, 12:42 PM

....probably not...

The Dynasty
03-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Vikings interested in Walker

ESPN.com is reporting the Vikings are one of 10 teams that have expressed an interest in receiver Javon Walker. No visits had been scheduled as of early Saturday. Here’s the story. Walker was released by Denver on Friday.

Walker played in a version of the Vikings’ offense when he was with the Green Bay Packers. Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell was the Packers quarterbacks coach when Walker was in Green Bay. Walker also has some friends in the Vikings locker room, including safety Darren Sharper. The two were teammates in Green Bay.

Walker also was a teammate of Vikings receiver Robert Ferguson. However, Ferguson is a free agent and could be looking elsewhere if the Vikings do land Bernard Berrian.

saw this on the same viking access blog entry.

Also..

First thought: Did we just see Bernard Berrian? It certainly wasn’t Williams and it looked like Berrian. (Update: After examining his picture in the Bears media guide, we are now sure it was the 6-foot-1 Berrian.)

Vikes99ej
03-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Walker doesn't seem like someone that would mesh well with Childress' mentality, but I'd love to have him nonetheless.

Tobzilla
03-01-2008, 12:58 PM
If I could choose between trading a first round pick for Fitz or Derek Anderson, I'd easily choose Fitz. Not because he's from Minnesota, or anything, but because I'm not ready to give up on TJack for a guy who only has one year under his belt. Sure, DA showed a lot last year but the fact remains, it's only one year.

swagger
03-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Was that Berrian? You betcha

An odd thing happened as media members waited in the Winter Park practice facility for the Madieu Williams’ news conference to begin. A Vikings official and someone wearing a Vikings cap and with a Vikings jersey in his arm emerged from the team’s weight room.

First thought: Did we just see Bernard Berrian? It certainly wasn’t Williams and it looked like Berrian. (Update: After examining his picture in the Bears media guide, we are now sure it was the 6-foot-1 Berrian.)

Later in the Williams’ news conference Vikings coach Brad Childress did say that Berrian remained upstairs at Winter Park and that talks were still ongoing with the receiver. “He’s not here against his will,” Childress joked. “He’s not shackled.”

But he could be a very rich man, very soon. Vikings exec Rick Spielman did and would not say if Berrian was going to try to take a visit to Oakland today. At this point, it would not be surprising to get wind of a Berrian news conference later this afternoon or Sunday morning.

litlharsh
03-01-2008, 01:19 PM
With Williams and Berrian pretty much assumed signed with us, who do you think we take in the draft? DE is still a pressing need, we might address that. If Phillips is available when we pick in the 1st, do we take him? What about Kelly? or Harvey over all of them?

russie
03-01-2008, 01:23 PM
i think with a safety and more than likely wr signed, we look at de or ot. if we can get a de signed in between now and the draft, i think we can go best player available, reguardless of position

The Dynasty
03-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Was that Berrian? You betcha

Later in the Williams’ news conference Vikings coach Brad Childress did say that Berrian remained upstairs at Winter Park and that talks were still ongoing with the receiver. “He’s not here against his will,” Childress joked. “He’s not shackled.”

Yeah...I just wish there were conformation that he is signed and wearing a jersey and hat right now lol.

Vikes99ej
03-01-2008, 01:24 PM
With Williams and Berrian pretty much assumed signed with us, who do you think we take in the draft? DE is still a pressing need, we might address that. If Phillips is available when we pick in the 1st, do we take him? What about Kelly? or Harvey over all of them?

I think we take an offensive tackle, for depth just for now, and he could maybe take over for Cook if he struggles at all. The Bryant McKinnie situation is also something we should pay attention to. I like Chris Williams the most.

Dr. Gonzo
03-01-2008, 01:25 PM
As of now I think Harvey is our pick. I would still like to sign Odom but Harvey brings the pass rushing ability we so despretly need. If I was giving the choice though I would trade our first and third for Fitz in a heartbeat.

russie
03-01-2008, 01:26 PM
As of now I think Harvey is our pick. I would still like to sign Odom but Harvey brings the pass rushing ability we so despretly need. If I was giving the choice though I would trade our first and third for Fitz in a heartbeat.

i fully agree. even if we sign berrian, i'd be happy to send our first and one of our thirds for fitz

Vikes99ej
03-01-2008, 01:26 PM

As would I. It might be the homer in me, but there are A LOT of things I would trade for hands like his. Oh dreams....

Dr. Gonzo
03-01-2008, 01:28 PM
1st, 3rd, and 3rd next year for Fitz. Let's get this deal done. We can then use our 2nd and 3rd rounders on DE and OT and then use our 4th rounder on best QB available. After that we can pick up FB with one of the next few picks.

litlharsh
03-01-2008, 01:31 PM
This draft is so damn WR rich that it pains me to have to trade a third and give up a wideout

Berrian
Rice
Allison
Wade
2nd round WR. Hardy or Thomas?

edit: oh yeah i just realized we'd be getting a wideout in fitzy. disregard this post. crazy night yesterday

Dr. Gonzo
03-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Thing about the draft is 99.9 percent of the receivers taking don't turn out as good as Fitz. The chance to get a young superstar WR is easily worth multiple draft picks. If we can trade picks and still adress our need at OT, DE, and backup QB then I do the trade every day of the week.

litlharsh
03-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Everyone collectively pray together now. PLEASE say we chose Fitzy over Berrian oh lord, please.

Dr. Gonzo
03-01-2008, 01:37 PM
If we have the choice we go Fitz over Berrian. I just pray that this is actually an option.

giver17
03-01-2008, 02:19 PM
i have been wishfully dreaming of Fitz to come here since half way through last season... oh man, if we landed him I would be the first one in line for a jersey haha. honestly, I would soil myself. There is no doubt he is worth a 1st and 3rd. no doubt. even if berrian was signed, I would still push for Fitz. then we can focus on DE and OT with our second and other 3rd.

on another note, something I am worried about is Moss heading to green bay... I would not be a fan of that. Having to watch one of the great vikings playing for those cheeseheads would be devastating for me.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?id=09000d5d806f8d4f&template=without-video&confirm=true

The Dynasty
03-01-2008, 02:24 PM
pft.com

POSTED 3:22 p.m. EST, March 1, 2008

VIKINGS GETTING CLOSE WITH BERRIAN by Michael David Smith

Free agent wide receiver Bernard Berrian is in Minnesota today negotiating with the Vikings, and a contract agreement could be finished before the day is out.

Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that reporters gathered at the Vikings' press conference to introduce free agent signing Madieu Williams saw Berrian in the team's facility, and coach Brad Childress acknowledged that the team is talking to Berrian.

Vikings executive Rick Spielman wouldn't say whether Berrian is planning to make a visit to Oakland, but Zulgad writes, "it would not be surprising to get wind of a Berrian news conference later this afternoon or Sunday morning."

The Vikings are also reportedly interested in free agent wide receiver Javon Walker.

come on chilly and spiel get the deal done.

Dr. Gonzo
03-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Berrian and Walker? That would be awesome. At the same time that would also make Bobby Wade useless.

bearsfan_51
03-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Berrian and Walker? That would be awesome. At the same time that would also make Bobby Wade useless.
Hahaha....Bobby Wade doesn't need anyone's help to be useless.

Dr. Gonzo
03-01-2008, 02:33 PM
I wholeheartidly agree. Is there away we can trade that piece of ****.

andyjo672
03-01-2008, 04:08 PM
No Justin Smith, just signed with the 9ers...according to espn.com

Tobzilla
03-01-2008, 04:11 PM
little late there buddy

The_Dude
03-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Berrian.... 6 years

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7...to-6-year-deal

Minnesota has acted swiftly to add a No. 1 receiver for young QB Tarvaris Jackson.
The Vikings have come to terms on a six-year deal with Bernard Berrian, sources have told FOXSports.com. The worth of the deal is not yet known.
Berrian was considered the No. 2 receiver on the open market behind Randy Moss. The Chicago Bears wanted to retain Berrian, who was the team's deep threat. But in the end, the deal Minnesota offered was too good to pass up.

Vikings4ever
03-01-2008, 04:47 PM
He's going to get paid big, and I doubt he'll be worth it. I'd rather they'd gone after Bryant Johnson or Isaac Bruce, but the Vikes NEEDED a WR. I'm glad they aggressively went after one of the best ones out there.

Crazy_Chris
03-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Chris Speilman (from his radio show) out of Columbus reported yesterday that the Vikings could be trading their 1st RD pick to Cleveland for Derek Anderson. This has to have some credibility because Speilmans brother is the GM of the Vikings. What would you think of this move?

IMO Jackson isnt the answer and your team would have won at least 1 more game last year with Anderson, but who knows how many more? Your running game and deffense is to good to wasdte time with a project like Jackson.

You must be the same Rumor Monger that posted this BS on the scout.com boards. This has absolutly 0 truth to it, it's just wishful thinking by a browns fan. . . And Just so you know our team would have lost about 3 more game last year with Derek Anderson as our QB.

Sign Berrian and trade for Derek Anderson and you will have a very good offense and an even better deffense. Use the rest of your draft to sure positions up.

Your team is good enough exept for a WR and QB to win now. You cant get far in the playoffs with a project QB and no WR's worth a darn.

Stop trying to peddle your crap to us we don't want that vastly over rated trash Derek Anderson.You just keep trying to sell the idea to us because your team has no draft picks in the first three rounds anymore, and you are desperatly trying to convice yourself that the Browns will get them back from the Vikings. Snap out of the delusions it's not gonna happen.

Tobzilla
03-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Great Success!

Crazy_Chris
03-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Berrian.... 6 years

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7...to-6-year-deal

Minnesota has acted swiftly to add a No. 1 receiver for young QB Tarvaris Jackson.
The Vikings have come to terms on a six-year deal with Bernard Berrian, sources have told FOXSports.com. The worth of the deal is not yet known.
Berrian was considered the No. 2 receiver on the open market behind Randy Moss. The Chicago Bears wanted to retain Berrian, who was the team's deep threat. But in the end, the deal Minnesota offered was too good to pass up.

The Link says page not found :|. I hope this is true

Dr. Gonzo
03-01-2008, 05:01 PM
At least we got our receiver and people can stop giving us Desean Jackson in their mocks. The way the offseason is going I have a feeling we are targetting a DE in the first. I pray it is Harvey.

Crazy_Chris
03-01-2008, 05:06 PM
If we sign Antwan Odom then it probably won't be harvey but rather Phillip Merling or Calais Campbell.

chug o nomics
03-01-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm hesitant about Odom. Having seen much of him, but noticed he had 2 sacks, 2 sacks, .5 and 8 sacks last year. Afraid we're going to trust a one year wonder type of guy.

Crazy_Chris
03-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Yea I am weary of him too. At this point he is just a one year wonder with some good upside. So signing him would be a gamble, to be honest I would rather stick with Brian Robison and Ray Edwards at RDE, or draft Derrick Harvey and plug him in there.

chug o nomics
03-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Same... however, if we can get Odom without breaking the bank, he'd be a fine signing.

We need a DE, CB,RT, DT, QB and LB now. Just small name guys. Hopefully we can get CB Chris Carr from the Raiders. He's not that great of a CB, but he'll provide depth and will help out as a special teamer.

Tobzilla
03-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Berrian got six years 42 million. Via Rotoworld.

Crazy_Chris
03-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Does it say how much of that is garunteed?

Vikings4ever
03-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Berrian working link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7860874/Sources:-Vikes-ink-Berrian-to-6-year-deal

bearsfan_51
03-01-2008, 05:37 PM
16 mil guaranteed.

7 mil per year is a ton of cash, but I was always a big Berrian fan. At least I'll get to watch him every week living in Minneapolis. I'll try not to root for him to break his legs.

The Dynasty
03-01-2008, 05:37 PM
someone in the nfl section said he got 18 million guranteed. I just wonder what jersey number he will be lol.

Crazy_Chris
03-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Yea that contract was big but better to have that money invested in someone like berrian rather than some one like Williamson.

I have no clue sure as hell won't be #80 lol

The Dynasty
03-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Yea that contract was big but better to have that money invested in someone like berrian rather than some one like Williamson.

I have no clue sure as hell won't be #80 lol

I just plan on buying his jersey when it comes availble. Hmm...Maybe 82 Lmao Naa I dont want him in that Number.

The_Dude
03-01-2008, 06:24 PM
The Link says page not found :|. I hope this is true

My apologies... I'm using my g-friend's Mac & I'm all screwed up.

$42 million is a lot, but beggers can't be choosers, right? It was necessary to pay him a bunch and necessary to bring him here.

I guess that I'd pass on Odom... but we do need some relatively inexpensive DE help.

chug o nomics
03-01-2008, 06:29 PM
How much money do we have left?

Vikings4ever
03-01-2008, 06:32 PM
How much money do we have left?

Well, we had 35 million going in. It all depends on how the contracts are structured.

The Dynasty
03-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Ill say we have around...22-24 Million Left. Still Alot. Thats if we pay Berrian 7 million and williams around 5.7Million.

Vikings4ever
03-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Bills | S. Johnson agrees to terms
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 17:20:30 -0800

Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports the Buffalo Bills have agreed to terms on a multi-year deal with free-agent DT Spencer Johnson (Vikings).

The Dynasty
03-01-2008, 09:10 PM
From Viking Access on Star Tribune.com

“The nastiest player ever”
March 1st, 2008 – 8:27 PM by Kevin Seifert
That was new Vikings WR Bernard Berrian’s answer this evening when asked to describe his game. The assembled media laughed and then awaited his follow up. After a brief silence, Berrian said: “I was serious.”

So went Berrian’s first news conference in Minnesota. The Vikings’ $42 million man was funny, confident and relieved to have completed his two-day recruiting trip. During a 15-minute question-and-answer period, Berrian said he was assured there would be “stability” at the quarterback position and said the Vikings were his top choice because he can see the “upside” of the team.

Here are some excerpts:

On what appealed to him about the Vikings: “They’ve got a great running back, which we all know. I think the key part that we’re missing is the receiver to take the pressure off that running game. If you get both of those parts added in there, it’s hard to tell which one you are going to choose. Pick your poison. It’s a great offense, what they’ve been telling me, what they’re going to try to do with me, my role, and I really saw my role expanding here as opposed to being in Chicago.”

On whether he is ready to be a true No. 1 WR: “I’ve definitely been prepared for it. I wanted that last year, to be the No. 1 guy. The numbers actually came out that way, but I wasn’t actually the first read in our offense … A lot of times, I did receive a lot of the attention as the season progressed. I saw the safety over the top a lot as our running game started to struggle. So that’s what we’re hoping to bring here. Either back those safeties up, out of the box, or you stack them up and we go over the top.”

On his blocking: “I’m not the greatest blocker. I’m not going to lie. But that’s what practice is for. We’re going to work on it and I’m going to work on it to get better. I’m definitely willing to throw my body in there and block. I’m not the type of receiver that’s going to go out there with a lackluster effort. I’m definitely going to give it my full effort.”

On Vikings QB Tarvaris Jackson: ”He definitely has a strong arm. He can get the ball down the field, so there’s no need to worry about that. From what they’re telling me, he’s a very smart quarterback. He’s got the capability to learn further. I see only upside to him. I only see him getting better as we go. He’s a young player. He’s only going to get better with experience. I think that’s where we’re all going to get better. I’m going to make him better. He’s going to make me better.”

On whether he sought assurances about the Vikings’ QB situation: ”Definitely it’s always an important part. You can’t do anything if you don’t have the ball, someone to get you the ball. You can’t do anything if you aren’t getting open in the first place. They assured me there was definitely going to be stability here. I didn’t have to worry about that or anything of that nature. It’s just coming in here and getting a chance to workout so we can get that competitive nature together going together and get on a roll and get a rhythm established and start to work.”

andyjo672
03-01-2008, 10:34 PM
I like his answers. He seems articulate, well thought out, team kind of guy. I like his honesty, his willingness to admit faults and to work on things like blocking. I like how he also said he was going to make Jackson better AND that Jackson would make him better (the 2nd part there really speaks volume to his character). Lets see how this works out, but he nailed that press conference.

The Dynasty
03-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Sorting it all out
March 2nd, 2008 – 12:18 AM by Judd Zulgad

Vikings exec Rick Spielman said the team does not plan to bring in any free agents for visits Sunday after signing three players in the first two days. Spielman and Co., clearly need some time to breathe. So do those of you who have been hitting F5 on this blog for the past 48-plus hours.

Since free agency began at 11 p.m. Thursday, the Vikings have acquired the services of safety Madieu Williams, fullback Thomas Tapeh and wide receiver Bernard Berrian. Minnesota entered free-agency with $37 million in cap room. They have committed $30.2 million in guaranteed money to the three players they’ve signed, including an eye-popping $16 million to Berrian.

So what’s next? Well, the Vikings brass will regroup Sunday and discuss what needs to be done as Round 2 of free agency begins. Most of the big-time names are gone but there are still plenty of guys out there. The Vikings continue to be in real need of help at defensive end.

In looking through various posts on this blog and elsewhere, along with talking to folks, here is some late-night housekeeping before we move on.

– There was a report today on ESPN’s website that the Vikings were one of 10 teams that had inquired about recently released receiver Javon Walker. My guess is that phone call was made just in case the Vikings failed to land Berrian. We asked Spielman about the interest in Walker after the Berrian presser. “We’ll look at all options,” Spielman said. “We’ll explore everything. Once we do our due diligence, if there’s someone out there, a player out there that can fill a need for us, we’ll definitely try to address it.” This is NFL speak for: I’m not going to answer that question.

– Even if the Vikings don’t pursue Walker that doesn’t mean they are done looking for help at receiver. Word is the team has interest in one of New England’s free-agent receivers. No, it’s not Randy Moss. It’s Jabar Gaffney, who had 36 receptions for 449 yards and five touchdowns this season. Don’t know yet whether a visit is being set up for Gaffney. (By the way, the Moss situation is turning into one of the most interesting stories in free agency. So much for that: He’s going right back to New England stuff.)

– Having failed to land defensive end Justin Smith, who signed a $45 million, six-year deal with San Francisco that includes $20 million in guarantees, the Vikings appear to be turning their attention to Tennessee free-agent Antwan Odom. The Vikings would like to get Odom to Winter Park but he’s scheduled to be in Cincinnati today and Arizona on Tuesday. What do you think the odds are that he even gets to Minnesota? Probably slim. As for Smith, it’s hard to believe the Vikings would have given him that much guaranteed money. My guess is Smith’s camp called the Vikings from San Francisco, told them the 49ers offer and the Vikings said, “No thanks.”

– Scout.com, which does a nice job of tracking free agency, reports the Vikings are one of four teams interested in Miami linebacker Derrick Pope. The article points out that Spielman was the Dolphins general manager when Pope was drafted in 2004. The Buccaneers, Chiefs and Falcons also are thought to like Pope. Pope could replace Dontarrious Thomas, who has signed with San Francisco.

– This isn’t new information but the only visit we definitely know the Vikings have lined up right now is for San Francisco’s running back/return man Maurice Hicks to come in on Monday.

– In addition to defensive end, one position the Vikings are trying to address is quarterback. The team made a call to a few free agents and even was engaged in trade discussions with Houston about Sage Rosenfels. But so far nothing has happened. So what’s the problem? Well when it comes to free agents, any young quarterback who is going to come here wants a legitimate opportunity to compete for the starting job. It seems that many of these QBs feel the Vikings are going to go with Tarvaris Jackson and that it would be extremely difficult to win the job. Therefore, they would rather take their chances elsewhere. That is why the Vikings might need to make a trade to bring in another QB — or sign a veteran guy who might not mind wearing a baseball cap on Sundays.

Dont Expect anything tomorrow for the Vikings.

Crazy_Chris
03-02-2008, 12:57 AM
I actually like Jabar Gaffney I think he would make a good #4/#5 WR.

Vikes99ej
03-02-2008, 01:10 AM
We should target Bobby McCray next. I don't see Odom being available to us.

Crazy_Chris
03-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Jevon Kearse would be a nice addition to be as a pass rush specialist. Although im not so sure he would accept that role.

DHVF
03-02-2008, 02:41 AM
I actually really don't mind the dollar amount for Berrian at all. I mean, I personally would much rather pay him 7 mil. a year, than Stallworth 5 million a year as I believe both his impact and potential are and will be much greater.

bdlyons26
03-02-2008, 03:46 AM
Well the receiving core is getting a lot better if they pick up one more wr in the draft or via free agency and the Vikes have a pretty good recieving core!

RollingMoss
03-02-2008, 11:38 AM
this is gonna be my last post about this because one of you reported me for trolling for some reason, thanks for that. Anyway:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3273447 - John Clayton reporting Moss talked with Daunte on saturday about teaming up somewhere; specifically, Minnesota

Let's see....42 million for Bernard Berrian?....Trade a 1st and 3rd for Larry Fitzgerald?....These options and dreams seem to be fine with Vikings fans...

Signing an unrestricted free agent to the same amount of money as Berrian, but that free agent's name being Randy Moss - and now it's reported HE'S THOUGHT ABOUT COMING BACK - and that's a bad idea and "annoying" and "unrealistic" to hear - hey, lets report the guy for trolling and get him in trouble with the principal, am I right people?

Bernard Berrian for 42million and suddenly becoming a top10 receiver - while being a top4 paid reciever? Oh, that makes Peeeeeeeeeerfect Sense, Very Realistic....Bernard Berrian has never and will never be a #1 receiver. This REEEEEEEEEEEKS of Alvin Harper part deux - except Berrian isn't even as good as Harper - and getting paid a whoooooole lot more.

Randy Moss was a free agent at the same time, could've been had for practically the same money, and Wanted To Come Back - but we wanted Bernard Berrian. Just...just think of that sentence. (The Culpepper part of the article, Meeeehhhhhhhh....if he wants to be a cheap backup, I guess, maybe, if I'm drunk during the negotiations, I'd say "I'll think about it"...I loved ya Daunte, but that knee is D-U-N).

litlharsh
03-02-2008, 12:17 PM
if we gave bernard 7 mil think about how much moss would want. of course we would've preferred moss over berrian but with how our signings played out, i think there's a slim, slim chance he comes here.

Dr. Gonzo
03-02-2008, 12:22 PM
If you read the article it doesn't specifically mention that they want to go to Minnesota. When are you going to get it through your head that we are all big Randy Moss fans here and we would love to see him come back. The thing is it just won't happen. It is clear that you know nothing about the Vikings. Alvin Harper part two, c'mon. Sure we overpaid for Berrian but you need to understand every team overpays in FA every year. Berrian was the best option after Moss and there is zero chance Moss comes back.

The fact that you say Randy Moss would sign for the same amount as Berrian is insane. Moss is going to be the highest paid WR in the game. I am eager to see if you have anything to say but "Minnesota is so stupid, bring back Randy." I really hope for all of us you do.

chug o nomics
03-02-2008, 12:26 PM
I hope we sign Maurice Hicks. I'm from the Bay Area, so I've gotten to see him a lot. He's a pretty good return man. He hasn't been utilize to his full potential, but he has some skill in terms of short yardage and screen passes.

bearsfan_51
03-02-2008, 12:28 PM
I actually really don't mind the dollar amount for Berrian at all. I mean, I personally would much rather pay him 7 mil. a year, than Stallworth 5 million a year as I believe both his impact and potential are and will be much greater.
Stallworth's deal is structured funny. It's actually closer to about 4 million per year, as he won't see the backloaded end of it. Berrian's deal is much more up front.

giver17
03-02-2008, 01:41 PM
what you would all think about trading our first to cleveland for Quinn? just a thought, but could be an intriguing one

russie
03-02-2008, 02:00 PM
what you would all think about trading our first to cleveland for Quinn? just a thought, but could be an intriguing one

absolutely horrible. why would we want an even rawer qb?

giver17
03-02-2008, 02:11 PM
absolutely horrible. why would we want an even rawer qb?

at least he would have a year on the bench under his belt to learn from. And I do think he is going to be a better QB than Tjack (sorry if i offended any Tjack fanatics). so I dont think it would be a horrible way to go. I am not pushing for it though, just mentioning it rather. either way I am cool. I would love to lock up a nice DE like harvey too.

Dr. Gonzo
03-02-2008, 02:25 PM
I think our first rounder is better spent on Derrick Harvey or Chris Williams. In the long run Quinn may be better the T-Jack but right now it is clear we want to win so it is better is we stick with Jackson and get ourselves a DE or OT.

andyjo672
03-02-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm not 100% sold on Harvey. He never really DOMINATED in college did he? I'm sure he's a good player, I just see him has a poor mans Erasmus James, who did dominate his senior year of college. I feel like stud pass rushers are so hard to find in the middle of the 1st round every year, I'd hate to settle on one this year.

Dr. Gonzo
03-02-2008, 02:32 PM
I happen to think that we are really lucky this year. Because there are so many first rounder talent DE's we stand a good chance of having Harvey fall to us. With the Williams playing the middle and Harvey's knack for pass rush I think he flourishes in Minny. With his skillset and our strengths I think he is a perfect fit.

Vikes99ej
03-02-2008, 03:16 PM
We got arguably the best WR and best S in this year's free agent class. It might not be saying much, but we should still be damn proud of ourselves.

chug o nomics
03-02-2008, 06:06 PM
We got arguably the best WR and best S in this year's free agent class. It might not be saying much, but we should still be damn proud of ourselves.

Moss is the best, but we probably didn't have a shot at him. I agree though, we did really well. We even got a nice piece in Thomas Tapeh. I want us to pick up Quinn Gray, Maurice Hicks, Chris Carr, Antwan Odom and any backup LB that will fit the scheme.

The Dynasty
03-02-2008, 06:08 PM

Yeah Im very Happy with the Vikings right now. I would like use see sign Hicks to replace MeMo. The thing that sucks is McCray got signed by the saints and Odom is going to two teams in the next 3 day. So I really am thinking that we arent gonna look at a DE till the draft. I think we got DE first round. Then in the Second maybe get another WR.

One thing I really hope for is we either sign or draft a DT. We have the best Duo but Who do we have behind them? Which is the problem I feel. Pat is a little old and it would be nice to have someone come in and help them out when they do get tired.

Crazy_Chris
03-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Yeah Im very Happy with the Vikings right now. I would like use see sign Hicks to replace MeMo. The thing that sucks is McCray got signed by the saints and Odom is going to two teams in the next 3 day. So I really am thinking that we arent gonna look at a DE till the draft. I think we got DE first round. Then in the Second maybe get another WR.

One thing I really hope for is we either sign or draft a DT. We have the best Duo but Who do we have behind them? Which is the problem I feel. Pat is a little old and it would be nice to have someone come in and help them out when they do get tired.

Fred Evans played pretty well last year and from what I have read it would seem that the coaches like him. However Kentwan Balmer is a pick that I could see happening if all the good DE's are gone.

Vikes99ej
03-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I'm disappointed we let Spencer Johnson get away, he had a solid year for us this season. I don't have much faith in Fred Evans. I don't know if there's much DT value in the middle of the first, unless Dorsey goes on a monumental slide. I like the idea of Trevor Laws or Dre Moore in the third round with one of our picks.

crazyisme
03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I'm disappointed we let Spencer Johnson get away, he had a solid year for us this season. I don't have much faith in Fred Evans. I don't know if there's much DT value in the middle of the first, unless Dorsey goes on a monumental slide. I like the idea of Trevor Laws or Dre Moore in the third round with one of our picks.

First of all, I've gotta disagree. I like Evans a lot more than Johnson. He's bigger, stronger, IMO a little quicker, and a little younger. Id much rather have Evans, besides didnt johnson get like 4 million a year? meh, thats pretty expensive for a questionable back up, IMO.

Secondly, no chance Laws falls to the 3rd, theres a good chance he doesnt fall to 47. But depending on whos around at 47, I definitely think the Vikes should target Laws. I think he has the potential to play SOME DE in certain situations, but i like Kev, Pat, Fed, and Trevor as our 4 DT's on this team.