PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Chiefs offseason/free agency

Pages : [1] 2

KCStud
11-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Sign FA RT Max Starks from the Steelers and draft the best OG with outstanding footwork in rd 1, Michael Oher.
Oher is a giant and has the best footwork of any OL prospect. He is smart, tough,and a mauler in the running game.
KC needs to improve their OL and these two guys are the answer. Both are young and would be much needed assets for the future.

LT-McIntosh
LG-Waters
C-Niswanger
RG-Oher
RT-Starks

Draft
1.Michael Oher OG/OT Ole Miss
2.Brandon Flowers CB Virginia Tech
or Dwight SmithCB San Diego State
3.Tony Hills OT Texas(depth)

bored of education
11-14-2007, 01:10 PM
If Oher declares it makes sense.

BPhilb
11-14-2007, 01:40 PM
One way or the other we are going to have to get OLine help in both FA and the draft. What's really unfortunate is that I believe we are going to have to trade Brian Waters in the offseason also because he just doesn't fit what we are trying to do scheme wise. It's going to be a major re-tooling project that will probably take years to complete. A few weeks ago I would have suggested that we take a guard or center in the first couple of rounds because I though we might be picking in the 18-24 range, but now looking at the remaining schuedule I imagine we will be picking more in the 8-14 range and should be able to be able to get get good value at the Tackle position at that spot. It's just hard to get a good Tackle in FA as teams won't let them go. I have been very disappointed in McIntosh this year as he has gotten no push to speak of this year and will probably need to be released. It will be interesting as we progress through the rest of the season. I'm hoping that part of the problem was Huard, but I seriously doubt that it is.

villagewarrior
11-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Waters doesn't fit? I disagree. Waters is a big, physical, aggressive, quick, and athletic guard who fits into multiple schemes. Waters is the only productive offensive lineman the Chiefs have. McIntosh is terrible, Weigmann is undersized, Welbourne hasn't played well since he was suspended for roids, right tackle is a revolving door.

I liked what I saw out of Niswanger on Sunday, I think there is a lot of potential there, although I think he'd be better at center. I'm not counting on Svitek anymore, and none of the other young linemen mean anything to me. A massive retooling effort must be conducted this off-season. Going into '08, this is how the line looks right now:

LT- open
LG- Brian Waters
C- Rudy Niswanger
RG- open
RT- open

I'm not a big fan of Starks, but I like the potential of Oher, I think he could eventually be a starting tackle in the league, but until then guard would be a good place for him to get his feet wet.

adschofield
11-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Sign Alan Faneca-OG
Sign B.J. Sams-KR/PR

1.Ryan Clady
2.Tony Hills
3. Best Available Corner

RT-Tony Hills
RG-Alan Faneca
C-Niswanger
LG-Waters
LT-Ryan Clady

bored of education
11-14-2007, 08:55 PM
I think
OL
OL
then Godfrey, Castille, Chevis Jackson, Darnell Terrell, patrick lee in the 3rd

Cromartie, jenkins, jenkins, aqib, thomas, bowman, porter and lowrey will all be goone by the third i think

BPhilb
11-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Waters doesn't fit? I disagree. Waters is a big, physical, aggressive, quick, and athletic guard who fits into multiple schemes. Waters is the only productive offensive lineman the Chiefs have. McIntosh is terrible, Weigmann is undersized, Welbourne hasn't played well since he was suspended for roids, right tackle is a revolving door.

I liked what I saw out of Niswanger on Sunday, I think there is a lot of potential there, although I think he'd be better at center. I'm not counting on Svitek anymore, and none of the other young linemen mean anything to me. A massive retooling effort must be conducted this off-season. Going into '08, this is how the line looks right now:

LT- open
LG- Brian Waters
C- Rudy Niswanger
RG- open
RT- open

I'm not a big fan of Starks, but I like the potential of Oher, I think he could eventually be a starting tackle in the league, but until then guard would be a good place for him to get his feet wet.

I love Brian Waters, but looking at what we are doing we are looking for pure strength guys on both our running and passing plays. That is not where Waters excels. He is at his best when we use his athletisism working outside on sweeps, screens, and draws. Those plays that have virtually been wiped out of our play book. He is still not a bad player by any means, but given his age if we were ever going to get good value for him now would be the time. If we are going to re-tool this thing we probable should blow it up and start over and that's why I belive he needs to go.

T-RICH49
11-15-2007, 06:00 PM
I say sign Faneca OG

Draft

1. Sam Baker LT(I believe we will pick high enough to get him)
2. Terrell Thomas CB
3. Shannon Tevega OG

LT Sam Baker
LG Brian Waters
C Rudy Niswanger
RG Alan Faneca
RT Damion McIntosh

villagewarrior
11-15-2007, 07:15 PM
I love Brian Waters, but looking at what we are doing we are looking for pure strength guys on both our running and passing plays. That is not where Waters excels. He is at his best when we use his athletisism working outside on sweeps, screens, and draws. Those plays that have virtually been wiped out of our play book. He is still not a bad player by any means, but given his age if we were ever going to get good value for him now would be the time. If we are going to re-tool this thing we probable should blow it up and start over and that's why I belive he needs to go.

I disagree with your assessment of Waters, except for the "he is not a bad player by any means" part. But the time to blow this thing up and rebuild passed when the Chiefs signed LJ to that huge deal. Imagine the bounty we could have had for him...but now we are hamstrung by his contract, trying to jettison aging players will add dead weight to the salary cap.

BPhilb
11-15-2007, 10:01 PM
I disagree with your assessment of Waters, except for the "he is not a bad player by any means" part. But the time to blow this thing up and rebuild passed when the Chiefs signed LJ to that huge deal. Imagine the bounty we could have had for him...but now we are hamstrung by his contract, trying to jettison aging players will add dead weight to the salary cap.

Don't disagree, and to clarify when I said blow it up and start over I was actually refering to the O-Line. In Vermil's system we could use smaller, more athletic lineman. Edwards system calls for the bigger and less mobile guys. I believe if we put Waters on the market now we could still get a 2nd round pick for him. If we don't this year we will never get the same type of value and will probably eventually have to let him go for nothing. Again, this isn't because he isn't a good player but it's a matter of timing and where we are in our building process which makes me think this would be the time to make a move.

bored of education
11-16-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm loving Chris Williams. I think he is a beast. Not only huge but athletic.

villagewarrior
11-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Don't disagree, and to clarify when I said blow it up and start over I was actually refering to the O-Line. In Vermil's system we could use smaller, more athletic lineman. Edwards system calls for the bigger and less mobile guys. I believe if we put Waters on the market now we could still get a 2nd round pick for him. If we don't this year we will never get the same type of value and will probably eventually have to let him go for nothing. Again, this isn't because he isn't a good player but it's a matter of timing and where we are in our building process which makes me think this would be the time to make a move.

Oh ok, yeah, I get you.

adschofield
11-18-2007, 01:15 AM
We should draft Tony Temple in the later rounds...he went to Rockhurst, so he's automatically a stud at life

bspen4
11-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Temple is trying to get another year of elgibility because he played 1 game his freshman year and then got hurt. I think we should draft a QB in the 3rd round if Croyle sucks(Josh Johnson maybe) and then get Jordy Nelson to replace Eddie Kennison in the 4th round. And one more idea all though it wont happen...TRADE LJ FOR ALL THAT WE CAN GET

adschofield
11-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Temple is trying to get another year of elgibility because he played 1 game his freshman year and then got hurt. I think we should draft a QB in the 3rd round if Croyle sucks(Josh Johnson maybe) and then get Jordy Nelson to replace Eddie Kennison in the 4th round. And one more idea all though it wont happen...TRADE LJ FOR ALL THAT WE CAN GET

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can only get a medical redshirt the season that you get hurt, not three years after the fact

bspen4
11-18-2007, 01:17 PM
That is what the announcers said in the KSU-MU game yesterday

villagewarrior
11-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can only get a medical redshirt the season that you get hurt, not three years after the fact

You'd be surprised...not saying it will happen but you never know.

And the time to trade LJ has passed, that was last off-season after 1700 yards. This off-season he will have been lucky to get to 1000 and he will have missed several games with a foot injury. Not to mention the massive contract he just signed. No, LJ is here to stay.

bored of education
11-19-2007, 01:21 PM
IM PRETTY SURE 2 LINE MEN during the 1st 3 rounds is needed (CB being the other draft pick)

even if it means
Aqib Talib
Chris Williams
Jordan Grimes

bored of education
11-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Drafting one of these players in each group

A. Tackle: Long, Baker, Clady, Loadholt, Williams, Richardson(i really thing he has LT power)
B. Guard: Crummey, Schuening, Tevaga, Grimes, John Greco, Eric Young
C. Corner: Jenkins, Jenkins, Talib, Thomas, Justin King, Bowman, Cason, Jackson, Godfrey, Lee, Lowery, Castille

Obviously depth at Cb allows KC to draft one in either 2nd or 3rd..maybe even 4th

Hermstheman83
11-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Drafting one of these players in each group

A. Tackle: Long, Baker, Clady, Loadholt, Williams, Richardson(i really thing he has LT power)
B. Guard: Crummey, Schuening, Tevaga, Grimes, John Greco, Eric Young
C. Corner: Jenkins, Jenkins, Talib, Thomas, Justin King, Bowman, Cason, Jackson, Godfrey, Lee, Lowery, Castille

Obviously depth at Cb allows KC to draft one in either 2nd or 3rd..maybe even 4th

I think drafting Long or Baker is out of the question. A previous poster was right, we need a big mauling offensive line. Long, I believe we won't even be able to sniff him in terms of draft position, and baker doesn't fit that big "mauler" persona does he? I've never seen him play, but he seems like a more Vermiel system guy, not a Herm guy...I like Scotts' pick for our first rounder(although I think we still have a shot at the playoffs)

I think Faneca would be awesome. Although, the steelers have this tendency to drop players at the right time(Kendrell Bell).
Trading Waters would be a hard thing to swallow and CP would be hated in KC for it. But I can definately see that(I think Watters has been talking to the media way too much for the guys' comfort, maybe that's just me), but we can get good value for him. Also, waters used to be a Tight End...so that makes me think he's an athletic guard, not a mauler....

I don't want a guy with the last name of "flowers" on our beloved KC's team...

Also, for solid starters from this years draft. I agree with most of your guys' assessment, but I haven't seen too much of Turk McBride. Maybe he's being overshadowed by JA, but I really haven't seen too much of him to believe

villagewarrior
11-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I think drafting Long or Baker is out of the question. A previous poster was right, we need a big mauling offensive line. Long, I believe we won't even be able to sniff him in terms of draft position, and baker doesn't fit that big "mauler" persona does he? I've never seen him play, but he seems like a more Vermiel system guy, not a Herm guy...I like Scotts' pick for our first rounder(although I think we still have a shot at the playoffs)

I think Faneca would be awesome. Although, the steelers have this tendency to drop players at the right time(Kendrell Bell).
Trading Waters would be a hard thing to swallow and CP would be hated in KC for it. But I can definately see that(I think Watters has been talking to the media way too much for the guys' comfort, maybe that's just me), but we can get good value for him. Also, waters used to be a Tight End...so that makes me think he's an athletic guard, not a mauler....

I don't want a guy with the last name of "flowers" on our beloved KC's team...

Also, for solid starters from this years draft. I agree with most of your guys' assessment, but I haven't seen too much of Turk McBride. Maybe he's being overshadowed by JA, but I really haven't seen too much of him to believe

I agree with this assessment for the most part. Although I wouldn't be too worried about Faneca, for one thing he doesn't have the injury history Kendrell had (I believe), and for another offensive linemen traditionally last longer than the other positions. Which is weird now that I think about it because they take more of a beating than any other position, but...eh whatever.

BPhilb
11-20-2007, 12:32 PM
I agree with this assessment for the most part. Although I wouldn't be too worried about Faneca, for one thing he doesn't have the injury history Kendrell had (I believe), and for another offensive linemen traditionally last longer than the other positions. Which is weird now that I think about it because they take more of a beating than any other position, but...eh whatever.

I'm not sure if Fanica exactly fits what we are looking for either, but I wouldn't be upset if we went that route. Herm has already stated that there are going to be massive changes to the roster next year and I'm sure the plan is alreay set. It was interesting though that Bell and Drummond were inactive for this game without injuries. Both will be gone in the offseason. I was also suprised to see Pollard benched before the game. I guess his lack of coverage skills are holding him back some.

chief_fan88
11-21-2007, 02:00 PM

The thing ive always heard is that Waters is by far the strongest player on the team, i think he's the type of o-lineman that could fit any scheme anyway thats what remember hearing.

Chiefs Draft Nut
11-22-2007, 11:25 PM
One Name - PHIL LOADHOLT - 1st Round Pick of KC CHIEFS

Yes, he's a junior, but we (as Chiefs Fans) should all collectively hope he decides to declare even though it's a deep OT class this year. If, he declares we should have the chance to pick him. And he is definately the best fit for the Chiefs. He's frikken HUGE, and yet he can play the LEFT tackle position and well!
Then in the second we take the best corner or guard availiable and vice versa for round three. And both players should be able to contribute in 08.

2008 line (one can only dream)
LT- Phil Loadholt
LG- Brian Waters
C- Rudy Niswanger
RG- Eric Young(rd2)? Roy Schuening(rd3)? Draft Pick (rd2 or 3) or Free Agent
RT- Damion Mcintosh (we'll survive for a year with him only sucking on the right side, then draft his replacement)

& if Loadholt doesn't declare, then Ryan Cady or Sam Baker as LT

bored of education
11-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Loadholt is the dude i want too. He is gonna be awesome

Hermstheman83
11-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Who's that? where's he from? I think that(if he doesn't sign first) we should get Alan Faneca as a guard, Loadholt(because you guys' are generally on about things like this) at Left Tackle, Rudy(who didnt do too bad today), I have no Clue who at Right guard(can D-Mac play guard?)......perhaps Herb Taylor at Right tackle.

I think I get hung up on trends and stuff, so please forgive me...but I think Ty Law has a year left in him, so KC drafts a cover-2 corner so that a good, talented veteran can watch over the guy. This has happened with our D-Line(alfonso boone with Tank, Turk, Tamba, etc), Our Linebackers(Donnie with DJ and NH) and Tight end(Gonzo with Micheal Allen)...So pick up Faneca who can help out our new guys(Hopefully) Loadholt, Taylor and Nuiswanger. Ty Law and Surtain can help the next generation of DB's.

So in conclusion...next years' starting lineup
QB-Brodie Croyle
RB: Larry Johnson
FB: (we'll probably draft one here)
WR: Dwayne Bowe
WR: Sammie Parker/Jeff Webb(that's a scary thought eh?)
TE: Gonzo
LT: Loadholt
LG: Young
C: Rudy
RG: Watters(but if we can get second round pick for him, I think he'll be gone, Then Faneca would carry this position)
LG: Herb Taylor(with Dmcintosh starting at first).

Then our defense
Dend: JA and Tamba
DT: Tank Tyler and Alfonso Boone
Strong SideLB: DJ
MLB: Napoleon Harris
Weakside: Donnie(who we should draft a replacement for IMHO)
CB: Ty Law
CB: Surtain(or Brackenridge, or R2 drafted CB)
SS: Pollard/Wesley
FS: Page

And of course Colquitt and Rayner's replacement
That would be an amazing turn around in one season....yes, I do think we can get Faneca since we have like 16.2 Million in cap space, and there is a definate need for him.

One Name - PHIL LOADHOLT - 1st Round Pick of KC CHIEFS

Yes, he's a junior, but we (as Chiefs Fans) should all collectively hope he decides to declare even though it's a deep OT class this year. If, he declares we should have the chance to pick him. And he is definately the best fit for the Chiefs. He's frikken HUGE, and yet he can play the LEFT tackle position and well!
Then in the second we take the best corner or guard availiable and vice versa for round three. And both players should be able to contribute in 08.

2008 line (one can only dream)
LT- Phil Loadholt
LG- Brian Waters
C- Rudy Niswanger
RG- Eric Young(rd2)? Roy Schuening(rd3)? Draft Pick (rd2 or 3) or Free Agent
RT- Damion Mcintosh (we'll survive for a year with him only sucking on the right side, then draft his replacement)

& if Loadholt doesn't declare, then Ryan Cady or Sam Baker as LT

villagewarrior
11-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Herb Taylor's too small. Kcchiefs.com lists him at 6'3 and 295, he needs to pick up about 10-15 pounds of weight to be adequate at guard. I don't think tackle is a reasonable expectation of him based on the reports I read around draft time.

LT: Loadholt/Clady/Long/draftee
LG: Waters
C: Niswanger
RG: Faneca
RT: MacIntosh

I think Mac has shown well enough at LT that he could slide over to RT and be an above average tackle there, at the very least he would be a massive upgrade over Chris "Let me show you to the QB" Terry. These are the positions I think the Chiefs need to address come draft day (not sure how many picks we have):

3 OL - preferably 1 tackle, 1 guard and 1 center
2 CB
1 OLB
1 WR
1 QB - developmental type, 6th or 7th rounder
1 TE

Wyndham
11-26-2007, 06:20 PM
How can any 'perfect' plan involve signing an over-the-hill free agent guard to a big contract?

This team needs to get younger. I'd much rather see a guard drafted early in the second day start for the Chiefs next season.

adschofield
11-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Wait, why do we need to find a replacement for Colquitt? He's one of the best punters in the league

bored of education
11-26-2007, 09:27 PM
need to draft a Guard, a Tackle and a CB. from there bpa available even it means drafting John David Booty in the 4th round (which i wouldnt mind lol) Cuz i want a Booty KC Jersey lol

villagewarrior
11-27-2007, 11:34 AM
How can any 'perfect' plan involve signing an over-the-hill free agent guard to a big contract?

This team needs to get younger. I'd much rather see a guard drafted early in the second day start for the Chiefs next season.

The Chiefs also need to be able to protect Croyle. I'm not saying the Chiefs should go out and sign just any old guy, but they can't go all young and forget about the vets. Besides, offensive linemen traditionally play longer than the other positions. Faneca will be fine.

BPhilb
11-27-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm suprised by how badly I'm hearing a lot of you guys want Loadholt. If we have seen anything from the last two drafts it's that Edwards and Perterson are going to take players who are ready now and not someone based solely on potentail. I've watched the guy on a couple of occasions and he's done a pretty good job, but he looks awful sloppy like a guy who has been able to get this far based off his physical skills. We will see as we get closer, but I don't think he is going to be part of the puzzle for us unless it's in round 2 and I doubt he comes out if he's being picked that low.

bored of education
11-27-2007, 08:21 PM
True, good call BPhilb. They want guys to contribute right away a la Malcolm Jenkins!!!!!!

Hermstheman83
11-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Herb Taylor's too small. Kcchiefs.com lists him at 6'3 and 295, he needs to pick up about 10-15 pounds of weight to be adequate at guard. I don't think tackle is a reasonable expectation of him based on the reports I read around draft time.

LT: Loadholt/Clady/Long/draftee
C: Niswanger
RG: Faneca
RT: MacIntosh

I think Mac has shown well enough at LT that he could slide over to RT and be an above average tackle there, at the very least he would be a massive upgrade over Chris "Let me show you to the QB" Terry. These are the positions I think the Chiefs need to address come draft day (not sure how many picks we have):

3 OL - preferably 1 tackle, 1 guard and 1 center
2 CB
1 OLB
1 WR
1 QB - developmental type, 6th or 7th rounder
1 TE

Then why did we draft him? From the draft reports I thought he was a quick agile guy, perfect for KC's offense(draft report, not me). Yes, but Dmacintosh is over the hill, but we didn't really hesistate to sign him in a hurry....I am generally in favor of the youth movement.

Here's a thought guys, just throwing this out there....Solari getting fired(which, I thought he did a good job mixing it up against oakland, but it's probably envitable that he will get canned.)and Herm and Brodie being reuinted with Shula....

adschofield
11-27-2007, 10:25 PM
I think Solari is doing a good job...much improved over last year

bored of education
11-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Mike Shula! I like him alot esp as a coordinator. good call plus rep on that one!

Solari has improved though as /\ adschofield said!

T-RICH49
11-27-2007, 10:28 PM
I think Solari is doing a good job...much improved over last year

are you watching the same games I am?

bored of education
11-27-2007, 10:31 PM
He has improved, but hasn't opened it up and allowed the offense to utilize its weapons properly.

bored of education
11-27-2007, 10:33 PM
An offensive philosophy would be nice, I dont think their is one LOL

adschofield
11-27-2007, 10:42 PM
are you watching the same games I am?

Yeah...Did anyone else watch 'Hard Knocks' where Casey Printers said when he was cut..."You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t", while guess what...Solari has made chicken salad out of chicken sh*t

bored of education
11-27-2007, 10:44 PM
LOL i remember that. I was gonna watch the hard knocks series but its not on demand any more SHITTT

BPhilb
11-27-2007, 11:04 PM
I also think Solari will get canned. The guy is handcuffed though as I remember last year when Edwards bragged publicly about getting on Solari for throwing two straight bombs in the first preseason game last year. Edwards philosiphy will not ever allow an O-Coordinator to be succesful.

villagewarrior
11-28-2007, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=Hermstheman83;752018]Then why did we draft him? From the draft reports I thought he was a quick agile guy, perfect for KC's offense(draft report, not me). QUOTE]

He was a late round pick, there weren't a lot of other options to choose from. If this were baseball he'd be considered organizational filler. The only way I see Taylor getting on the field is if he gains some weight. Or if he can snap the ball, in which case he'd be a slightly larger version of Weigmann.

Hermstheman83
11-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Mike Shula! I like him alot esp as a coordinator. good call plus rep on that one!

Solari has improved though as /\ adschofield said!

Has anyone ever read Tony Dungys' new book? Amazing..and it ties Herm and Shula together....alot It makes sense to me.....the ties are there, and he would fit the offensive "strategy" Herm's trying to implement.
Also with Mr. Taylor, I think he will be considered a back up....

Thanks for the rep point..

Hermstheman83
12-25-2007, 01:05 AM
Well, I think our top two needs are offensive line and Cornerback...

I was thinking about changing my name is "Brodiestheman" but he get injured pretty easily. That will help if we shore up our offensive line. But Scott makes a good point in his draft. Where he doesn't think Long will be there(who is probably the best tackle in the draft, and the only top ten worthy). I'm still thinking Brodie has all the things it takes to make a great NFL QB, we just need to give him time(and another WR), protection and that one thing we had last year...ehh...a running game?

Also, Cornerback is out of the question isin't it? I mean, there's not really any CB worth taking in the first round, much less the Top Ten. So, I could see us doign that in Round 2, or maybe picking up Trufant from the Seahawks(underrated I think..thanks for www.arrowheadpride.com for that thought). Then Go LT, then Guard in the second round(the mammoth out of Tennessee sure sounds good) and then Todd Blythe(WR) a big, tough, durable WR out of ISU(yes, they do have a football team). Plus, I believe he can return punts too.

I also wouldn't be opposed to Sedrick Ellis in the first round, that's a great step in the right directio nfor this franchise(although, I think Edwards would get a lot of crap for that pick)

I'm out..Merry Christmas everyone!

bored of education
12-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Well, I think our top two needs are offensive line and Cornerback...

I was thinking about changing my name is "Brodiestheman" but he get injured pretty easily. That will help if we shore up our offensive line. But Scott makes a good point in his draft. Where he doesn't think Long will be there(who is probably the best tackle in the draft, and the only top ten worthy). I'm still thinking Brodie has all the things it takes to make a great NFL QB, we just need to give him time(and another WR), protection and that one thing we had last year...ehh...a running game?

Also, Cornerback is out of the question isin't it? I mean, there's not really any CB worth taking in the first round, much less the Top Ten. So, I could see us doign that in Round 2, or maybe picking up Trufant from the Seahawks(underrated I think..thanks for www.arrowheadpride.com for that thought). Then Go LT, then Guard in the second round(the mammoth out of Tennessee sure sounds good) and then Todd Blythe(WR) a big, tough, durable WR out of ISU(yes, they do have a football team). Plus, I believe he can return punts too.

I also wouldn't be opposed to Sedrick Ellis in the first round, that's a great step in the right directio nfor this franchise(although, I think Edwards would get a lot of crap for that pick)

I'm out..Merry Christmas everyone!

trufant wil want top 20 CB type money and if we Franchise Allen KC wont afford him. I still think Ellis, Cherilous/Nicks/ Williams then Thomas/Branch/ tribble/Castille/Lowery 1st 3 roudns would be nice. After Long no other tackle is worthy of a top 10 pick.

Who is this Blythe guy? I can name 20 WR's I'd take before him. kelly, Nelson, Bowman, Manningham, Caldwell, Hall, hawkins, Douglas, Bryant, hardy, jackson, franklin, monk, rivers, devone bess, Burton, Royal, Reynaud, hubbard, avery, purify, rudy burgess.

Blythe will be there 5th 6th round

adschofield
12-25-2007, 08:45 PM
I really want Chris Johnson or Eddie Royal...Drummound blows!!!

BPhilb
12-31-2007, 09:46 AM
It was a brutal season even by the low standards we had to begin with, but we are actually in position to start turning things around. We won't know our draft position yet but know we have a top 5 pick which unless Jake Long falls to us gives us a ton of interesing decisions. Here's a few scereio's that we have to consider:

1. Long falls to us an we take him.
2. Clady or another lineman blow up the combine and becomes a top 5 guy.
3. Dorsey, McFadden, or Chris Long fall to us and are the best player available forcing us to grab them.
4. We take Matt Ryan or another QB.
5. We actually get a trade offer and move down to aquire more picks.

I acutally forsee number 3 happening which will make things interesting. We will get an impact player, but not at a top "need" position. Here's my list of priorities heading into the offseason:

1. OT - This is a no-brainer. This has to be filled in the draft in my opinion as teams just don't let top notch tackles get to free agency.
2. CB - It's possible that both Law and Surtain get axed leaving us pretty inexperienced at the position even if it's importance to our scheme is not all that great.
3. WR - Bowe looks like a star, but we need another wideout that defenses will respect. It's just scary on third and long knowing that we only have to options to throw to and gives defenses the confidence to blitz us.
4. OG - We might be able to fill this internally, but we do need someone that can open some holes in the running game opposite of Waters.
5. S - Pollard looked shakey in coverage this season and though he still might be the long term answer we need to have another option to go to (this assumes Wesley is cut).
6. LB - This unit was actually a strength this year for the most part, but given Edwards only has a year left on his contract it would be nice to get someone in behind him now.
7. DT - Boone was great this year and hopefully Tyler becomes a future starter but another body for the rotation would not hurt.

That's at least my thoughts for now. I think the depth chart is set at QB assuming that Thigpen remains in the plan for next season to see how he progresses. I imagine this will be a two year project before we can start talking playoffs again but at least from a draft standpoint this is going to be one of the most exciting offseasons I can remember being a Chiefs fan as we have a chance to grab some impact talent early in the draft for the first time in quite a while. What's you guy's thoughts?

bspen4
12-31-2007, 02:04 PM
Thats a well thought out analysis. Good job

bored of education
01-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Yeha nice write up. I was at the Jets game and I wll be writing up a lil summary and looking forward type thing in the next week. nice though, alot of the same thoughts.

weird thiing is I like John David Booty 4th round a developmental guy to battle with Croyle and might beat him. He makes every throw, can pick apart defenses etc.

OF course line is most important

adschofield
01-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Per KC Star

Offensive Coaching Staff:

Fired: Mike Solari, John Matsko (Offensive Line Coach), Charlie Joiner (WR Coach), James Saxon (RB Coach)

Kept: Dick Curl (QB Coach), Jon Embree (TE Coach)

Candidates for OC Coordinator:
Paul Hackett
Eric Price (UTEP OC, Coached with Herm)
Bill Callahan (Former Nebraska Head Coach)
Mike Shula (Former Alabama Head Coach)
Cam Cameron

bearsfan_51
01-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Mike Shula should get another coordinating opportunity. If the Bears fire Ron Turner he's #1 on my list.

villagewarrior
01-02-2008, 11:00 AM
If Cam Cameron becomes available I think he should be given a shot. Just keep Herm's hands off the offense, let Cam handle that side of the ball and Herm can handle the defense.

Geo
01-02-2008, 11:08 AM
I guess the Chiefs couldn't demote Solari back to offensive line coach, which he's pretty good at/better suited for.

BPhilb
01-02-2008, 11:10 AM
On an ESPN chat just now Chris Mortensen said that Herm is going to bring in Alex Gibbs to coach the O-Line and implement the zone blocking scheme. If that's the case we might be able to get away with stocking our OLine later in the draft as we can concentrate on smaller and quicker lineman who will be less valued. This also means the Herb Taylor pick from last year will finally make some sense now as he appears a great fit for the scheme. As for the OC job, as long as it's not Paul Hackett I'll be cool with whatever we do. It's not going to matter anyway unless we get some talent in here.

bored of education
01-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Interesting about hiring Gibbs as O Line coach. Herb Taylor is definatly a Guard in that scheme. Herb has very good movement the few times I seen him.

adschofield
01-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Some more Rumors:
-Looks like Hackett isn't likely to be considered
-Eric Price is the leading candidate
-Jeremy Bates, a Broncos assistant, is being considered
-Chiefs want a OC before the Senior Bowl
-Drummound will not be retained
-Lance Briggs and Ryan Lilja are players of interest for the Chiefs
-Brian Waters may move to Center
-Jake Long is the consensus for the 1st pick at the moment
-Chiefs also like Kansas tackle Anthony Collins

Per Warpaint, so take it for what it's worth

bored of education
01-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Briggs a Chief ZOMGZ.
Anthony Collins if declares can be had 2nd round.

T-RICH49
01-02-2008, 07:09 PM
huh does that mean Donnie gets cut and Briggs takes his spot or does it mean Nap Harris may be a goner and move Donnie to the middle?Briggs, Edwards and DJ = SCARY

bored of education
01-02-2008, 07:58 PM
That would be scary. Donnie has the knowledge and understanding to move inside. Wow that would be awesome

adschofield
01-02-2008, 08:55 PM
huh does that mean Donnie gets cut and Briggs takes his spot or does it mean Nap Harris may be a goner and move Donnie to the middle?Briggs, Edwards and DJ = SCARY

It sounds that Harris won't be a Chief next year. So I would expect Edwards to be the MLB.

Also, it sounds as though the Chiefs are actively trying to get rid of Surtain and Law. Kennison prob. won't be back, and it sounds like Waters and Niswanger will be the only returning members of the O-Line.

bored of education
01-02-2008, 08:57 PM
GOOD Quarantine time!

adschofield
01-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Brian Billick and Mike Martz are being mentioned as candidates

Hermstheman83
01-02-2008, 11:11 PM
If Cam Cameron becomes available I think he should be given a shot. Just keep Herm's hands off the offense, let Cam handle that side of the ball and Herm can handle the defense.

I think that would be a very "dungy-like" move. I mean, Tony Dungy was so "defensive minded" he needed his offensive coordinator to keep that balance.

I can also see Shula and cam. Shula because there are those connections from TB and Alabama, and cam because we'd crap stomp the chargers every year(inside knowledge anyone?)

Also, with Gibbs and Zone blocking...where does that put the Nuiswanger and Waters? Sounds like we killing that advantage. Those big maulers....along with a Guard that applies to that scheme too. Also, LJ isn't exactly a cutback RB.

villagewarrior
01-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I don't know if going the ZBS route is the best idea really. All the speculation has been the Chiefs need more maulers up front because LJ is more a bruiser, the ZBS seems to move away from his natural ability.

BPhilb
01-03-2008, 12:24 PM
I think it would work for us though. It really would give Johnson and chance to start making hits on the 2nd level against LB's and DB's as opposed to the DL. The scheme we ran just a couple of years ago was very similar in nature to the ZBS and we had no issues running the ball then. It also seems to fit our personell much better as Waters is very athletic and would do very well in this scheme. All said though it usually hurts in the passing game as you have smaller linemen on the field and given the fragile state of our QB that part would worry me some.

bored of education
01-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Yeah I was gonna same something along those lines. LJ can make that one cut and make more LBs and DBs miss than getting mauled by DTs, DEs and LBs.

T-RICH49
01-03-2008, 01:59 PM
this guy has not been mentioned but I thik should be considered.Steve Sarksian of USC.I really think he will be a good OC in the NFL

Geo
01-03-2008, 03:26 PM
I doubt Sarkisian will have any interest in being the offensive coordinator of the Chiefs, he pulled himself out of the running for the Raiders head coaching job last year thanks to his chance in potentially succeeding Pete Carroll at Southern Cal. If he were to come to the NFL as an offensive coordinator, it would be for a better job/team.

TAMBA is HUNGRY!!!!
01-03-2008, 08:04 PM
We need to get Briggs, move Donnie to middle, dump Harris.

Get a LT, Jake Long or the next best guy,if Long is gone trade down a few spots then get LT, move McIntosh to RT Draft more oline in 3rd round. a RT or RG

Get Pennington for a year or two, while Croyle sits and get Andre Woodson by trading up. Trade next years 1st, i dont care. We need a QB!! He is a winner. Chad can manage, and with Bowe and Gonzo, with a healthy LJ and an upgraded oline, he can do well while, hopefully Woodson, sits.

Sign maybe a bryant johnson or berrian, someone opposite bowe and dump Webb. kennison in slot, keep parker and sippio. Parker isnt the greatest, but is worth keeping around because he does make some good catches.

Draft a CB with our 2nd rd pick, best guy available.

bye bye drummond and get a KR.

sign mario hagan from bills for special teams and backup LB.

Of course a dream, but hey it could happen.

PACKmanN
01-05-2008, 09:37 AM
here somethings, I wouldn't hire Alex Gibbs, the guy lost a lot of respect from the players and would cause some problems with you guys.

http://www.kffl.com/player/14028/NFL

bored of education
01-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Alex Gibbs is a bum.

Splat
01-09-2008, 05:04 PM
So much for that idea.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5440572.html

BPhilb
01-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Wow. I did wonder though how Edwards was going to hire an OLine coach before an O-Coordinator. I guess that's what happens. I actually think this is a good move by the Texans, but I'm not heart broken for the Chiefs.

Splat
01-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Wow. I did wonder though how Edwards was going to hire an OLine coach before an O-Coordinator. I guess that's what happens. I actually think this is a good move by the Texans, but I'm not heart broken for the Chiefs.

It is a great move by the Texans but we should have neven let it happen if we are going to zone blocking Gibbs would have been huge to get.

villagewarrior
01-10-2008, 12:48 AM
The ZBS isn't that difficult to teach to offensive linemen. I ran it for 5 years in college, it's not hard to learn. The difficult part is finding a man who can call effective plays without becoming repetitive and predictable.

::EDIT::And by the way, thank God Gibbs won't be coming here. That is all.

T-RICH49
01-14-2008, 06:28 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/720011.html

Interesting

bored of education
01-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Wow, very interesting.

adschofield
01-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Please, God, no

bored of education
01-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah I like Shula or Price! i might be leaning towards Price

T-RICH49
01-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Please, God, no

at least Herm is leaving no stone unturned in the search for the OC

Damix
01-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Hes really not a bad coach in my opinion.

Splat
01-14-2008, 08:00 PM
I would love to get Fassel as QB coach and Shula as OC I know I know father time is staying as QB coach just saying.

villagewarrior
01-15-2008, 01:18 AM
I'd rather go with Fassel than any of the other confirmed candidates. I know his stint in Baltimore was underwhelming but no one is going to bat 1.00.

adschofield
01-16-2008, 03:38 PM
per KC Star

Thoughts? Does he run the ZBS?

BPhilb
01-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Not bad. At this point it seemed all of the names were pretty similar with the exception of Price. I though Gaily got a raw deal at G Tech but hopefully it will be to our gain. I'm not sure about the ZBS though I'm guessing he hasn't ran it in the past. I'm not certain we are even going in that direction. I had read from ESPN that we were going to hire Alex Gibbs and install it, but now that he is elsewhere I haven't seen anything else reporting the move. Maybe his press conference with tell us more details.

T-RICH49
01-16-2008, 05:09 PM
preferred Shula myself

bored of education
01-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Tha man has a wealth of knowledge highlighted with teams consistantly in the top 10 in most offensive categories. I ll have to do some research as to what personel he had in the prosand waht types of offensives he ran etc. i think its a solid hire nameand repuation wise. Atleast he wont be a plain vanilla offensive mind.

TAMBA is HUNGRY!!!!
01-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Well he was OC under Cowher in like 96-97ish. Got very good production out of Kordell Stewart.

OC in Miami w/Fiedler and Lamar Smith and still made playoffs.

Gotta look him up some more, but this looks like a very good signing. If he can get production out of Kordell and Fiedler, he can't be all that bad.

Hermstheman83
01-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Wow, that's awesome. I honestly thought it was going to be Shula...this guy sounds even better though....

bored of education
01-17-2008, 02:12 PM
it seems he likes to run a dynamic offense. im looking st stats of teams he hc/oc/wr coach before

T-RICH49
01-18-2008, 10:06 PM
It seems like without using the job in jepoardy statement he pretty much put Herm and CP on notice that there better be improvement this year or they may very well be out of jobs as least that's what I read into it.thoughts?

Splat
01-24-2008, 01:53 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-price&prov=ap&type=lgns

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Eric Price, who was on Herm Edwards' staff for two years with the New York Jets (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nyj/;_ylt=Al8ZGXHfB2b.hQbCINnDSaYdsLYF), is rejoining Edwards as wide receivers coach in Kansas City.

Price has spent the past four years as offensive coordinator at Texas-El Paso.

Price's offense at UTEP averaged 422.8 total yards per game and 147.7 yards rushing. The Miners scored 403 points a year ago, the third-highest season total in school history.

He was an offensive assistant with the Jets in 2001-02. He also had two stints on the staff of his father, Mike Price, at Washington State.

Splat
01-24-2008, 01:54 PM
I like the move I didn't really want Price as OC but I do like him being on the staff.

bored of education
01-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Good hire!

villagewarrior
01-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Sounds good, maybe a little more training so he can be the next offensive coordinator.

Splat
02-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Chiefs claim tackle Anthony Alabi off waivers from Dolphins (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-alabi&prov=ap&type=lgns)

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- The Kansas City Chiefs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/kan/;_ylt=AnOzcSOG4c.8PDzzmk3Rr6IdsLYF) claimed tackle Anthony Alabi (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7338/;_ylt=AsNaFc7NAbwI05GO1zUkbaAdsLYF) off waivers from the Miami Dolphins (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/mia/;_ylt=ApbSENj6mccYnBDl65w2_F4dsLYF) on Wednesday.

Alabi played 15 games in three seasons in Miami, including nine games on the offensive line for the Dolphins last season.

Alabi was Miami's fifth-round selection at 162nd overall in the 2005 NFL draft, a pick obtained from Kansas City in a trade involving cornerback Patrick Surtain (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4303/;_ylt=AsKhDuNyyVbO8PmnnskNFI0dsLYF).

Alabi will play under terms of his contract with Miami.

villagewarrior
02-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Good, competition is always a good thing. Maybe he can surprise.

Splat
02-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Check this out looks like we weren't the only team that wanted him.

http://mia.scout.com/2/728939.html

Alabi was claimed off waivers by not one, not two, not three, but four teams this week after being let go by the Dolphins.

The four teams were Cleveland, Denver, Houston and Kansas City, and Alabi was awarded by the Chiefs on the basis of last year's standings.

calichief
02-14-2008, 02:47 PM
I actually feel better about this pick-up knowing other teams wanted him. :)

bored of education
02-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Welbourn was cut
I heard that Law, Surtain, Dunn, Bell all might be cut.

Any chance this opens the door to signing Trufant or Samuel?

Also, does theis open the door for a long term deal with Jared Allen?

vidae
02-18-2008, 01:45 PM
I responded to you in another thread (thread tag!) but I heard or read somewhere that if Allen is franchised he won't resign with the Chiefs the following year? You hear anything about that? I'm trying to remember/find where I saw it so I can post something concrete and not just a rumor.

Also, I would love Samuel or Trufant here. If BOTH corners are released, I don't think we can go on with a rookie (drafted) and Benny Sapp.

What do you think about Faneca becoming a Chief? I haven't heard anything.. I guess it's just wishful thinking on my part.

bored of education
02-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Yeah I have heard about Faneca comming to KC. I think Faneca at RG, Niswanger, Long at LT, McIntosh at RT, Waters at LG would be a solid line. and drafting a few younger guys at guard would be nice.

I think Allen doesnt want to be franchised. He wasnts some gurantees here. Last year I would have thought he wanted out. But the way he acted and turned his life around off the field provies to me he wants to be a Chief for a long time. I would do a 5 years, 45-50 million dollar deal for him with somewhere between 12-20 guranteed.

vidae
02-18-2008, 02:30 PM
I would also sign him to a 5-7 year deal. Losing him would be one of the biggest mistakes in Chiefs history.

I hope Carl does the right thing and gets a deal done asap.

That line set up looks good. Are we not going to resign Wiegmann? Also, if we can't get Faneca, I would be really happy to see Branden Albert fall to us in round 2. That way the line would be the same : Long (LT), Waters (LG), Wiegman/Niswanger (C), Albert (RG) and McIntosh (RT).

Both Long and Albert look like guys we could plug in for 10 years and not have to worry about.

bored of education
02-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Yea true. I also like Eric Young in round 3. Well we have a solid backup plan for Wiegmann. I really think Niswanger could patrol the C position for a good6-8 years.

vidae
02-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Ya, I agree, the only thing I worry about is the transition from one C/QB combo to another. They better get to practicing!

vidae
02-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Well, Jared Allen was franchised today. Wonder if this really means this will be the last season we have him?

BPhilb
02-19-2008, 09:01 AM
I don't think the franchise tag will deter Allen. It's a formality and his comment last offseason was that he wouldn't complain with the franchise number because 9 million or so guarenteed isn't a bad living. I still think that we will get something worked out with him.

Cap wise we are in great shape right now. We will also get a huge boost if we cut Law which I think has to happen. I also see Bell, Wesley, Dunn, and Kennison as being gone.

I'm not nearly as high on Fanica as a lot of people. His pass blocking was brutal last year and Pittsburgh let him go for a reason. I don't think his ability will match his price tag. I think we will need to build through the draft to stregthen the line. I don't really want Trufant as his play hasn't been the great with the exception of this year which was a contract year. Samual is a nice player that would work well in our scheme who I wouldn't mind if we got at a somewhat reasonable price. The guy I would really like to see us bring in is FA is Javon Walker. Assuming he gets but by Denver he's a guy who I think we can get at $.50 on the dollar and is still somewhat young. I believe him teamed with Bown and Gonzo gives us some real weapons to work with as we build the line. I can't wait to see what happens in the upcoming weeks. My hope is that we lock up Colquitt and Derrick Johnson also this offseason so we don't go through a situation similar to Allen in the future.

vidae
02-20-2008, 02:49 AM
The more I see on Branden Albert the less I think there is a chance he falls to round 2. He's too good, and Mayock (note: I don't think he's half as good as Mel Kiper on predicting where someone goes or their talent level, just saying this is where Mayock has him) has him in the top 20 of all prospects.

With a good combine workout that might even jump higher.

Ah well, there are other pretty damn solid offensive lineman out there to be had. :)

villagewarrior
02-21-2008, 12:46 AM
Ya, I agree, the only thing I worry about is the transition from one C/QB combo to another. They better get to practicing!

C/QB batteries usually get tons of work done in training camp. They'll be alright.

BPhilb
02-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Good article in the star yesterday about how KC plans to approach free agency. Nothing shocking in here but there are a few names at the bottom who are intruiging.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/502663.html

vidae
02-25-2008, 12:49 PM
“We might have champagne tastes but we have beer money,” Edwards said.

Haha, Herm rocks. Interesting read. Would not mind someone like Bryant Johnson here, and I would not be upset at all at having Jake Scott. He's solid.

BPhilb
02-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Haha, Herm rocks. Interesting read. Would not mind someone like Bryant Johnson here, and I would not be upset at all at having Jake Scott. He's solid.

Yep. The only thing though is that we are "way" under the salary cap. Something like 19 million and that's before we cut Law, Bell and a few others. Obviously some of that will need to go to Allen if he is willing to sign. I like the idea though of building a young core and then spending the money when we need to fill holes to make a run at the Super Bowl. Herm is going about this the right way, but I doubt he will get to stick around to see it out.

vidae
02-25-2008, 05:18 PM
It's sad, because I like Herm, both as a person and as a coach. He has put the pieces together to make our defense one of the best and youngest group in the league. It would be a real shame to let him go, so let's hope that doesn't happen.

And yeah, we have the cap space to go after Asante Samuel (realistically) AND resign Allen if the cuts that are rumored to be made are actually made. Would be nice to see that happen.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I would not be upset at keeping Herm for a few more years and letting Carl Peterson go, but that's another subject all together..

BPhilb
02-27-2008, 12:03 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2008-02-26-3629058642_x.htm

It needed to happen but I really liked the guy. He was a very underrated part of our offensive fireworks for so many years. I hope he catchs on somewhere this year and has a good swan song. Makes it seem like we have someone in FA that we like. Right now our dept chart reads Bowe, Webb, Sippio. Unless we resign Parker that leaves us awfully thin right now.

vidae
02-27-2008, 03:32 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/116/story/508144.html

Four more veterans gone. Six total now.

BPhilb
02-27-2008, 03:33 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/508144.html

and more cuts. Law will save us a ton of money as will Bell. Reed was suprising given we just signed him to a new deal last season and he didn't play horribly. Dunn had a good run with us to but injuries and age merit a change for us there also.

vidae
02-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Sucks losing Law but it was time.

Maybe that means we're in the running for a FA CB.

Hermstheman83
02-27-2008, 10:27 PM
I think, per Herm and Co's policy, we need to sign Colquitt, Allen and DJ. We got the cap space to do it...build through the draft I honestly don't see us getting Long(I have him going to STL) and pick up a big time tackle like Collins in the second round, I wouldn't be upset with Sedrick Ellis in R1, Collins R2....what corners are avaiable? I think Samuel is out of the question because it'll be a huge price tag for him..

Hermstheman83
02-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Another thought: Drayton Florence? that CB from the chargers, he'd help us with the loss of Law(and maybe Surtain). Plus, he could give us some tips on how to beat the baby blue bombers.

vidae
02-27-2008, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't mind Ellis in round one if Jake Long is already off the board. Tbh I'm not sold on Dorsey at all. If it comes down to picking up Dorsey or reaching for Clady, I'd rather reach for Clady.

I think we'll have a fine draft. I don't see Carl/Herm moving up to pick up Jake Long, but if the rumors of Miami wanting to move down are true, maybe something like that will happen.

T-RICH49
02-28-2008, 06:19 PM
I know he's a bit older but what about Lorenzo Neal?He could instantly become LJ's best friend at FB and gives a mix of youth and quality vet expierence

adschofield
02-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Dustin Colquitt resigned to a 5yr deal

vidae
02-29-2008, 01:44 AM
He's 37 years old but he's the best in the business. He could play for another year or two. Would not mind us signing him for a smaller, short term deal at all.

T-RICH49
02-29-2008, 07:09 AM
Dustin Colquitt resigned to a 5yr deal

THANK GOD!!

Demorrio Williams has scheduled a visit with KC

vidae
02-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Heard that Tony Richardson is a free agent as well. What are your thoughts about him coming to KC and finishing his career where it started? (I know he was originally on the Cowboys practice squad but that doesn't count imo.)

T-RICH49
02-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Heard that Tony Richardson is a free agent as well. What are your thoughts about him coming to KC and finishing his career where it started? (I know he was originally on the Cowboys practice squad but that doesn't count imo.)

I was about to mpost the same thing.I would LOVE to see T-Rich come back(for obvious reasons lol)I say a 1 year deal and then let him get a front office job.He should never have left in the 1st place.We righted the wrong with Donnie now do the same with Tony

vidae
02-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Agreed. Was a big mistake to let him go in the first place.

vidae
03-01-2008, 04:12 PM
I guess we're not going to be active in Free Agency at all? All of the big name players are already signing elsewhere.

The two I really wanted here have not signed yet and that's Bryant Johnson and Jake Scott, but come on Peterson! Get something going!

Splat
03-01-2008, 04:46 PM
The lack of moves is a big let down I knew we would not go crazy but I thought we would have atleast made a strong push for a guy like Jake Scott or Jacob Bell (SP?). We have not even set up an interview with an OL as of now from what I understand I don't see how they think we can improve our line with the guys we all ready have and rookies?

vidae
03-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Agreed, and Berrian is on the Vikings now. I mean, I doubt we'd pay a lot for someone, but has anyone heard or read anything about anyone talking or visiting with the Chiefs at all?

Splat
03-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Agreed, and Berrian is on the Vikings now. I mean, I doubt we'd pay a lot for someone, but has anyone heard or read anything about anyone talking or visiting with the Chiefs at all?

The only player that has had a face to face sit down with the Chiefs was LB DeMorrio Williams (Atlanta) not even close to our biggest need.

T-RICH49
03-01-2008, 05:37 PM
I wanted Stallworth to be the complimetary to Bowe but that's not happening now

vidae
03-01-2008, 05:52 PM
I really thought Bryant Johnson would be a perfect fit for us. Not only is he a talented player, but he'd be an instant starter, and he wouldn't cost us as much as a Berrian or Stallworth would.

Last I heard, he's visiting with the Bills today.

T-RICH49
03-01-2008, 05:58 PM
I meant more in terms of speed he is the perfect compliment to Bowe.Bowe is a physical WR where as Stallworth can be more of a vertical threat

BPhilb
03-01-2008, 08:25 PM
It appears that Chiefs are following the plan they have stated from the beginning. They are not looking to get into the early bidding wars and I don't blame them. The only player I was inturigued with was Justin Smiley but I don't think we wanted to get into the Tampa Bay price range. I do think there are some decent young OL available that we can pick up later for cheap and see if they work for us. I would also like to possibly see Johnson come in as I think he could be a cost effective option at WR for the next couple of years until we are set on a number 2 guy. All told it's not going to be an exciting offseason for us other than the draft and I'm ok with that as big dollars spent on contracts right now would be a waste anyway as we won't be competing for a title next year anyway. I would just assume let the teams with cap room blow there wad now and open the market up for us in the coming years.

vidae
03-01-2008, 09:01 PM
If we're not doing much with our newly acquired cap room, how about a long-term deal for Jared Allen?

villagewarrior
03-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Yep, nobody should have been expecting much to happen in free agency. There is going to be a flurry of signings the next week or so, then the Chiefs will start signing young, inexpensive players that nobody has heard of. We're going to have to hope we find a Priest Holmes type quality player in that phase of free agency.

T-RICH49
03-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Chiefs sign Demorrio Williams

vidae
03-01-2008, 10:47 PM
We sign a Linebacker when we need offensive lineman, receivers and cornerbacks. :)

T-RICH49
03-01-2008, 11:28 PM
tumore is Nap Harris will be cut, they will move Donnie to MLB and start Williams at WLB.We would have a scary fast LB core

Splat
03-02-2008, 02:35 PM
While we have bigger needs I do like the move and we didn't over pay.

adschofield
03-02-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm glad we're getting into the FA frenzy...FA is for teams nearly on the cusp of reaching that Super Bowl level...the Chiefs are clearly not on that level...Save the cap room, build through the draft, and rebuild for the next couple of years

vidae
03-02-2008, 11:30 PM
I would agree that what you said is the best course of action for us, but I seriously doubt Herm will be there to see it through.

I want to keep Herm for a few years and get rid of Carl Peterson. That would make me happy.

Splat
03-03-2008, 08:34 AM
I'm glad we're getting into the FA frenzy...FA is for teams nearly on the cusp of reaching that Super Bowl level...the Chiefs are clearly not on that level...Save the cap room, build through the draft, and rebuild for the next couple of years

While I agree some what we have way to many needs not to make a few moves in FA we only had two rookies start last year and only won four games. There is a good chance we start even more then that this year I have a feeling it is going to be another long long year for the Chiefs and there fans.

vidae
03-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Look at the Browns last year. They had talent, but their offensive line was bad. They drafted Joe Thomas (among other things, I think they also picked up a good offensive lineman in FA, correct me if I'm wrong here) and they were in playoff contention. And they have a bad defense where ours is starting to be very good.

With a smart draft (read: offensive line, corner, WR) I think we can be in the playoffs and contending for the West in a year or two.

T-RICH49
03-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Well so much for my hope of T-Rich coming back to KC.Signed with the Jets for a 1-year deal.We could not offer a 1 year deal to T-Rich?Give me a break

vidae
03-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Well so much for my hope of T-Rich coming back to KC.Signed with the Jets for a 1-year deal.We could not offer a 1 year deal to T-Rich?Give me a break

Bleh. We did just claim that Dallas FB off of waivers, but come on. Tony Richardson is a Chief. :(

T-RICH49
03-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Bleh. We did just claim that Dallas FB off of waivers, but come on. Tony Richardson is a Chief. :(

I at least hope he signs a 1 day contract to end his career as a Chiefs

T-RICH49
03-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Chiefs sign WR Devard Darling.Appearantly Eric Price recruited him to play WR at Washington St

vidae
03-11-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure what I make of this signing, but I won't be mad at adding depth at WR in the hopes that someone breaks out.

To be honest, I want to see what Sippio can do.

T-RICH49
03-11-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm not sure what I make of this signing, but I won't be mad at adding depth at WR in the hopes that someone breaks out.

To be honest, I want to see what Sippio can do.

I think this could be a signing that may not look sexy but could be one that we look at later and think what a really good move

Yung Flippa
03-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Well, congrats on signing DeVard Darling, he'll be a solid option next to Dwayne Bowe for years to come.

vidae
03-11-2008, 11:42 PM
You're one of the more active Ravens posters, so I was going to ask you what you thought of him?

His stats aren't overly impressive, but he's relatively young and we need all the help at WR we can get.

BPhilb
03-12-2008, 08:52 AM
I like the signing. It's low risk with some upside. I read a lot about Darling in the book Next Man Up and know that the old Ravens staff really liked the guy. Hopefully he can contribute for us.

Yung Flippa
03-12-2008, 08:12 PM
You're one of the more active Ravens posters, so I was going to ask you what you thought of him?

His stats aren't overly impressive, but he's relatively young and we need all the help at WR we can get.

His stats aren't impressive because he was injured for most of his first 3 seasons. But this season, he got a chance to play with Demetrius Williams being injured and showed he can be a solid option. He's got a good blend of size, speed and strength.

vidae
03-12-2008, 09:23 PM
His stats aren't impressive because he was injured for most of his first 3 seasons. But this season, he got a chance to play with Demetrius Williams being injured and showed he can be a solid option. He's got a good blend of size, speed and strength.

Thanks for the scouting report! :)

bored of education
03-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Keyaron Fox was cut then signed by Pittsburgh?

villagewarrior
03-13-2008, 10:38 AM
I was hoping the Chiefs would draft Darling a few years back, so I like this signing. If I'm not mistaken, he's a skinnier Bowe with more speed. Can't hurt at all to bring in this kind of competition.

And that's too bad about Fox, I liked the guy and thought he could play, but once the Chiefs went out and signed Donnie and Napolean and now Demorrio I think the writing went on the wall that the coaches don't think Fox will start. I think he will have a big year in the 3-4 defense.

BPhilb
03-13-2008, 10:47 AM
I too think Fox will do well with the Steelers. That said I'm ok letting him go here as it was pretty clear he didn't have a future with us. We also lost Grigsby to Miami who I'm sure will move back to LB for them. It also looks like Kris Wilson will end of in Green Bay which with Franks being released should be a good for him. All told though this is part of the problem with our roster right now as these guys either didn't pan out or were not a fit for our system. It appears at least in the last couple of drafts that we actually have some keepers and hopefully will add more in another month.

T-RICH49
03-13-2008, 11:05 AM
I was hoping the Chiefs would draft Darling a few years back, so I like this signing. If I'm not mistaken, he's a skinnier Bowe with more speed. Can't hurt at all to bring in this kind of competition.

And that's too bad about Fox, I liked the guy and thought he could play, but once the Chiefs went out and signed Donnie and Napolean and now Demorrio I think the writing went on the wall that the coaches don't think Fox will start. I think he will have a big year in the 3-4 defense.

the thing about Fox though is he always seemed to be hurt

T-RICH49
03-16-2008, 06:22 PM
someone on warpaint is reporting(via the star boards take it for what it's worth) KC and C Justin Hartwig have agreed in principle on a contract.can't find any info yet but I guess we'll know in a day or two

vidae
03-16-2008, 06:41 PM
I heard they were talking but I can't find anything either.

T-RICH49
03-16-2008, 06:47 PM
It makes sense he won't have to compete to be the C.plus he's a KU guy

vidae
03-16-2008, 07:47 PM
What happens with Wiegmann if Hartwig is the starting center? Move him to guard? Brian Waters is still solid but we could use a new starting RG. I assumed that's what Hartwig would be, seeing as how he played Guard/Tackle in college.

villagewarrior
03-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Weigmann is gone. Age and size have become major issues with him as late. Hartwig is a good sign for the Chiefs if this is true. I believe he is only 29 so I think we could get a good 5-7 years out of him.

LT: Clady
C: Hartwig
RG: Niswanger
RT: McIntosh

Hopefully have someone like Nicks as the top reserve and add an additional prospect later in the draft, I think this line gets turned around pretty quickly. I know it's risky starting a rook at LT, but I think sticking him next to Waters will be good for him in the long run.

vidae
03-16-2008, 09:49 PM
I hope we can replace that Clady with Long, but I guess we'll see how the draft goes. :)

vidae
03-17-2008, 02:49 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/534364.html

Apparently we're not interested in resigning Wiegmann, so you were right Village.

I would love signing Hartwig and giving Niswanger a starting role. Our line would look a lot like you posted, with Niswanger moving to RG to fill that void and drafting a tackle (hopefully Jake Long) to take over LT duties.

T-RICH49
03-17-2008, 02:56 PM
did'nt Niswanger blow his knee out last year?

vidae
03-17-2008, 06:35 PM
I don't remember that but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

villagewarrior
03-18-2008, 11:26 AM
did'nt Niswanger blow his knee out last year?

I wouldn't exactly call it a blow out. He did hurt his knee and I think he required surgery on (although I can't recall now) it, but as far as I can remember it was just something that required a bit of time to heal. I think he'll be fine.

T-RICH49
03-18-2008, 06:53 PM
and Hartwig signs with Pittsburgh.I am wondering if this team is gunning for the 1st overall pick next year

vidae
03-18-2008, 08:06 PM
It sucks being a Chiefs fan right about now.

BPhilb
03-18-2008, 09:17 PM
I wasn't opposed to Hartwig, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. There are plenty of good centers to get this year on day 2 of the draft that can provide nice depth and we have enough picks to do so. Cody Wallace and Jamey Richard both appear to be intriguing prospects who could be staters soon in the league and will have little to no cap impact. This will all get better in a couple of years, but it's going to hurt watching this at times over the next couple of seasons.

Hermstheman83
03-19-2008, 10:16 PM
With an emerging Defense and an offense with a lot of weapons(just no protection), we'll be contenders in two years, next year might be rough to watch though. Fix the Line. Fix this franchise.

adschofield
03-19-2008, 11:33 PM
and Hartwig signs with Pittsburgh.I am wondering if this team is gunning for the 1st overall pick next year

Tim Tebow!!!!

bspen4
03-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Tim Tebow!!!!

You are supposed to draft good players number 1. Not a guy thats the result of his system(Alex Smith). If we get the 1st pick we should take Michael Oher

vidae
03-20-2008, 12:49 AM
If we get the 1st pick we should take Michael Oher

Yes. Very yes. Dude is a beast.

And I really don't like Tebow. I never have and I never will. Besides, I could have sworn that I read somewhere that he's staying all four years? Maybe I'm wrong.

bspen4
03-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Yes. Very yes. Dude is a beast.

And I really don't like Tebow. I never have and I never will. Besides, I could have sworn that I read somewhere that he's staying all four years? Maybe I'm wrong.

He is very religious and committed to graduating before leaving. Of course he entered school early so he may graduate next year. I also wouldnt mind Sam Bradford if he improves or Michael Crabtree who is in beast-mode all the time

vidae
03-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Yeah, Michael Crabtree was insane this year. Let's see if that production continues.

On an unrelated note, I was watching NFL network and noticed an interesting stat. In the last ten years, 8 QBs and 2 DEs have been drafted first overall:

1998: Peyton Manning (QB), 1999: Tim Couch (QB), 2000: Courtney Brown (DE), 2001: Michael Vick (QB), 2002: David Carr (QB, sort of), 2003: Carson Palmer (QB), 2004: Eli Manning (QB), 2005: Alex Smith (QB), 2006: Mario Williams (DE), 2007: Jamarcus Russell (QB).

Do you think the trend continues this year?

ps This might not belong in this thread, but it was an interesting stat and it could turn out to impact the player we get in a big way.

Billingsley26
03-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Its going to be close. And its a legit possibility. The only reason I see it happening is because Miami already has a decent pass rush in guys like Jason Taylor and Joey Porter, so its not THAT big of a need. QB on the other hand has absolutely nothing going for it.

But like I have stated before, if they didnt grab Ryan in the first, they aren't losing much if they took Brohm in the 2nd or grabbed him in the late first.

diabsoule
04-14-2008, 08:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3346946

This further thins you guys receiving corps.

bored of education
04-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Webb, Bowe, Sippio, Drummond! obivously drafting a WR is going ot happen 3rd 4th and again later since KC has 2 5ths, 2 6ths and 2 7ths

BPhilb
04-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Webb, Bowe, Sippio, Drummond! obivously drafting a WR is going ot happen 3rd 4th and again later since KC has 2 5ths, 2 6ths and 2 7ths

Drummond is not coming back. We also have Darling and Sams who we signed in FA. We will likely be drafting a reciever for sure. Losing Parker was not a suprise.

adschofield
04-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Wow, how will we ever recover from this?

So does this basically guarantee Denver the championship or what?

But seriously, this sucks for Denver

bspen4
04-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Jordy Nelson in the 3rd round or Lavelle Hawkins in the 4th looks good

bored of education
04-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Eddie Royal in the 4th would be great!

vidae
04-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Parker was okay but not a big loss by any stretch of the imagination. :p

BPhilb
04-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Eddie Royal in the 4th would be great!

Yes. Royal would be great and would help immediatley in the return game.

bspen4
04-14-2008, 11:09 PM
We have BJ Sams as a returner now

adschofield
04-14-2008, 11:23 PM
I love B.J. Sams

I vaguely remember a IRC conversation that I had with BoE about Sams...I was trying to convince him to jump on the Sams bandwagon :D

I remember Sams brought one back against the Chiefs a couple years ago

Hawkins in the 4th sounds good to me

BPhilb
04-14-2008, 11:48 PM
We have BJ Sams as a returner now

True, but he is coming off of an injury and Royal also projects as a decent WR as well as return man. He would be good value in my opinion in the 4th.

Hermstheman83
04-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Wow, I think this could be considered a victory against the Broncos...a speedy WR who can't catch.

T-RICH49
04-17-2008, 01:05 PM
SO help me iof you trade Jared Allen you might as well pack your bags now you greasy hair loser.WTF are you think shopping your best defensive player who is in the prime of his career.

Dr. Gonzo
04-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Dear Carl Peterson,

If you trade Allen to the Vikings you are my new favorite GM and while Chiefs fans will hate you Vikings fans will worship you. Please make my dream come true.

steelernation77
04-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Now let me preface this by saying that I'm not an expert on the Chiefs, but I kind of like this.

The Chiefs have spent a lot high draft picks on DEs recently. McBride, I know has been playing some DT, but could take over for Allen.

At #5 the Chiefs could take Matt Ryan (I'm just not sold on Croyle) and if they get the Vikings pick, take Chris Williams or Branden Albert at #17. This is also a deep CB draft, so an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd would be nice.

Or the Chiefs could avoid reaching on an OT with the first pick and take Dorsey, and use the second pick to take Williams or Albert, thus addressing a couple needs with potential studs.

Allen is a good player, but the Chiefs are rebuilding and it sounded like he didn't want to be part of it.

Dr. Gonzo
04-17-2008, 01:20 PM
I highly doubt Williams and Albert are there at 17. I think at best Otah drops that far.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Now let me preface this by saying that I'm not an expert on the Chiefs, but I kind of like this.

The Chiefs have spent a lot high draft picks on DEs recently. McBride, I know has been playing some DT, but could take over for Allen.

At #5 the Chiefs could take Matt Ryan (I'm just not sold on Croyle) and if they get the Vikings pick, take Chris Williams or Branden Albert at #17. This is also a deep CB draft, so an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd would be nice.

Or the Chiefs could avoid reaching on an OT with the first pick and take Dorsey, and use the second pick to take Williams or Albert, thus addressing a couple needs with potential studs.

Allen is a good player, but the Chiefs are rebuilding and it sounded like he didn't want to be part of it.

My thoughts exactly. We get our QBOTF in Ryan and get an excellent LT prospect in the same draft. What a way to start the rebuilding process.

This team is going to be awful next year no matter what, so why not sell high on Allen now and get some extra picks to start the rebuilding process the right way.

villagewarrior
04-17-2008, 02:01 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the Chiefs are going to trade Jared Allen, they must, must, MUST get fantastic compensation. Jared Allen is the type of player that you can build a team around and use to get the city behind you, you saw it happen. If they settle for a single pick, whether it is a 1st round pick or not, I'll be pissed.

That said, hopefully the Chiefs can get a 1st and 2nd this year and maybe a 3rd or 4th next year, that's what I would absolutely demand. Take Gholston at 5 and one of the tackles with the second 1st rounder.

T-RICH49
04-17-2008, 02:11 PM
why not take a Clady or Albert at 5 then maybe a Derrick Harvey at 17?

vidae
04-17-2008, 02:39 PM
To make it worthwhile, we need a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd/player next year. Bottom line.

No matter what, it'll be a mistake. Oh well. I hate King Carl.

villagewarrior
04-17-2008, 02:43 PM
why not take a Clady or Albert at 5 then maybe a Derrick Harvey at 17?

I'd be cool with that, although I might prefer Merling at 17. The comparison to Trevor Pryce really catches my eye. I was a huge Pryce fan when he was in Denver killing us (not that I was cheering for him, just that I respected him as a player).

Just, please don't take Ryan at 5. Please please please don't take Ryan.

vidae
04-17-2008, 02:57 PM
If we get a bunch of draft picks for JA, you can be sure that Ryan is the front runner.

Draft Ryan, draft a WR, draft offensive line. If we have five picks in the first three rounds, I would put money on the fact that Ryan is the pick. Plenty of picks to address the offensive line and get the QB "of the future" and also possibly add a good WR threat?

With the 5th overall selection in the 2008 NFL draft, the Kansas Chiefs select.. Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College.

If we trade JA, get ready for it. :(

adschofield
04-17-2008, 03:35 PM
People are overreacting big time...Is Jared Allen great? Yes. But what if he leaves next year, and we sitting there without any compensation...If we can't sign (which it doesn't look like we're going to be able to), trade him

bored of education
04-17-2008, 03:42 PM
True. We will either sign him long term right now or trade.

vidae
04-17-2008, 03:44 PM
If we can't sign him long term, which doesn't look likely, I guess we might as well trade him now and get as much as we can for him.

Carl really screwed the pooch on this one. It didn't have to work out this way.

adschofield
04-17-2008, 03:52 PM
If we can't sign him long term, which doesn't look likely, I guess we might as well trade him now and get as much as we can for him.

Carl really screwed the pooch on this one. It didn't have to work out this way.

Stop placing all the blame on Carl...He's not a horrible GM, and his biggest shortcoming is that he places too much control in the HC's hands (See Vermeil Era)...Does he deserve some blame? Yes. But some blame has to be placed on JA for his unwillingness to sign a long-term deal. Honestly, we should have seen this coming since last off-season

vidae
04-17-2008, 03:59 PM
What long term deal was he offered that was turned down?

Was it worth it for the level of talent Jared is?

And he's not that bad of a GM? His drafts haven't been stellar. His first round picks have been okay, if you completely forget about losing picks and trading up to get Ryan Sims, but the rest of the drafts have been bad, and that's being GENEROUS.

2002:

1st round, pick 6: Ryan Sims - joke.
2nd round, pick 43: Eddie Freeman - joke.
4th round, pick 107: Omar Easy - come on.

2003:

1st round, pick 27: Larry Johnson - solid pick.
2nd round, pick 27: Kawika Mitchell - no longer with the team.
3rd round, pick 92: Julian Battle - joke.
4th round, pick 113: Brett Williams - played what, a season?

2004: Wow, I don't even need to go into this one. The only player worth anything was Jared Allen. No one from this draft is on the team anymore.

How can you say he's not horrible with a track record like this? These are players (1st , 2nd and 3rd rounders) that you're supposed to build your team with and he has a hell of a lot more misses than hits, that's for sure.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Stop placing all the blame on Carl...He's not a horrible GM, and his biggest shortcoming is that he places too much control in the HC's hands (See Vermeil Era)...Does he deserve some blame? Yes. But some blame has to be placed on JA for his unwillingness to sign a long-term deal. Honestly, we should have seen this coming since last off-season

And even more blame should be put on JA for being an immature drunk. Why would anyone in their right mind hand over a Freeney-type contract to Allen when he has never shown he can stay out of trouble? He got in trouble in high school, college, and now is one strike away from a one year suspension.

If the guy isn't mature enough to stay out of trouble to get his big payday, what makes anyone think he will do it once he gets paid?

vidae
04-17-2008, 04:15 PM
I guess you have to trust he cleaned his life up and got his act together. It appears you don't. I do.

That's where our opinions differ.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 04:18 PM
I guess you have to trust he cleaned his life up and got his act together. It appears you don't. I do.

That's where our opinions differ.

Where's the evidence of it? You just trust his word? Do you think opening a bar is the best decision for someone obviously struggling with alcohol problems?

vidae
04-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Do you automatically assume that because he opens a bar he's going to be drinking there? That's a pretty ridiculous assumption in and of itself.

adschofield
04-17-2008, 04:21 PM
What long term deal was he offered that was turned down?

Was it worth it for the level of talent Jared is?

And he's not that bad of a GM? His drafts haven't been stellar. His first round picks have been okay, if you completely forget about losing picks and trading up to get Ryan Sims, but the rest of the drafts have been bad, and that's being GENEROUS.

2002:

1st round, pick 6: Ryan Sims - joke.
2nd round, pick 43: Eddie Freeman - joke.
4th round, pick 107: Omar Easy - come on.

2003:

1st round, pick 27: Larry Johnson - solid pick.
2nd round, pick 27: Kawika Mitchell - no longer with the team.
3rd round, pick 92: Julian Battle - joke.
4th round, pick 113: Brett Williams - played what, a season?

2004: Wow, I don't even need to go into this one. The only player worth anything was Jared Allen. No one from this draft is on the team anymore.

How can you say he's not horrible with a track record like this? These are players (1st , 2nd and 3rd rounders) that you're supposed to build your team with and he has a hell of a lot more misses than hits, that's for sure.

Asides from Larry Johnson, those are Dick Vermeil draft picks...Like I said, his biggest fault is giving HC's too much control

vidae
04-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Asides from Larry Johnson, those are Dick Vermeil draft picks...Like I said, his biggest fault is giving HC's too much control

Then he is at fault. :p

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Do you automatically assume that because he opens a bar he's going to be drinking there? That's a pretty ridiculous assumption in and of itself.

It's a "ridiculous assumption" to think a guy that has had numerous problems with alcohol could, just maybe, drink at his brand spanking new sports bar.

Yeah you're right, what a crazy thought on my part. Just nuts!

vidae
04-17-2008, 04:33 PM
It's a "ridiculous assumption" to think a guy that has had numerous problems with alcohol could, just maybe, drink at his brand spanking new sports bar.

Yeah you're right, what a crazy thought on my part. Just nuts!

No, not could. Would. There is a big difference.

And I'm picking up on the sarcasm.

BPhilb
04-17-2008, 05:11 PM
I think we will now go with a Chris Long, Otah type draft. This does seem like a decent enough idea given the circumstance, but if we trade Allen for what essiently will be Chris Long have we really gotten better? All we would have done is moved from 5 to 17 or so to get our first round player.

You guys might be right in the fact that this signals that we will take Ryan which isn't the worst thing in the world. The potential of this move does worry me though in the fact that I'm not sure if the front office really seems to have a planned direction on where we are headed.

Crickett
04-17-2008, 05:13 PM
SO help me iof you trade Jared Allen you might as well pack your bags now you greasy hair loser.WTF are you think shopping your best defensive player who is in the prime of his career.

Because think of the DE they could get with that mid first round draft pick. And what has Jared Allen ever done? ;)

I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

T-RICH49
04-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Stop placing all the blame on Carl...He's not a horrible GM,

uhhh what are you smoking.Carl Peterson is the most inept GM in all of pro sports.He's nothing more then a car salesmen....a greasy haired rat face salesman

vidae
04-17-2008, 05:21 PM
uhhh what are you smoking.Carl Peterson is the most inept GM in all of pro sports.He's nothing more then a car salesmen....a greasy haired rat face salesman

Tell us how you really feel! :p

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 05:22 PM

He gets no credit for building the Chiefs into the winningest franchise of the 90's?

vidae
04-17-2008, 05:24 PM
I forgot the goal of a franchise is to only be good every ten years or so.

Oh wait..

If anything, a GM is supposed to keep the team competitive. We haven't been competitive. And how many championships have we won under him?

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 05:26 PM
I forgot the goal of a franchise is to only be good every ten years or so.

Oh wait..

And how many championships have we won under him?

So no championships = worst GM in sports?

vidae
04-17-2008, 05:36 PM
I never said he was the worst GM in sports. I certainly don't consider him a very good GM, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he's the worst period.

eazyb81
04-17-2008, 05:41 PM
I never said he was the worst GM in sports. I certainly don't consider him a very good GM, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he's the worst period.

I know you didn't. T-Rich did, and I was responding to his original comment that Peterson is the most inept GM in sports.

adschofield
04-17-2008, 08:14 PM

TRich, I love ya man, but stop acting like you know what goes down in the Front Office...It's pretty well-documented that those draft busts earlier this century were Vermeil's picks...Also, with CP, we never have to worry about the cap.

BPhilb
04-17-2008, 10:35 PM

Even though he recently lost his title (and his job) Isisah Thomas has made sure that the worst GM in sports title is very safe. We would have to trade Allen for a 7th round pick and a few high salary vertrens before the conversation could even get started. I am though a bit confused about the direction we are headed though as I though we were building a strong D around Jared Allen. I don't see how we are exactly moving forward here unless we know that signing Allen is not a possiblity. I guess we will find out next Saturday. I don't think I've ever been as nervous about a draft as I have now.

vikesrock28
04-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Follow through on it, Carl.

MAKE THE DEAL! = )

vidae
04-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Two things you said BPhilb:

I am though a bit confused about the direction we are headed though as I though we were building a strong D around Jared Allen.

I agree. Like I said, the Chiefs are a team without an identity. We were starting to build one with our defense, which was becoming quite good. I don't understand the logistics of it all, and no one here does, but it doesn't seem like keeping Allen is possible. It sucks for us Chief fans, but hopefully through this draft (with added picks) we're able to get something started.

I don't think I've ever been as nervous about a draft as I have now.

I agree 100%. That is going to be a very interesting weekend for Chiefs fans. :)

vidae
04-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Follow through on it, Carl.

MAKE THE DEAL! = )

First and second this year, conditional second, third, fourth next year! Let's get it done Vikings fans! ;)

Hermstheman83
04-18-2008, 10:21 AM
This is what I don't understand. We have like 28 million dollars to play around with. We are very cap friendly, ,which has always been Carl's strong point. JA is a guy, who cleaned up a lot last year(he hasn't had a drink of alcohol for like a year or something) you can build KC's defense around. I think he made our pass defense a lot better with his rush(Law and Surtain arent' that good at all). We have a PROVEN playmaker at DE that is essentially the guy I think of when we say "KC's DEFENSE"

My problem with getting draft compensation is that we'll have a guy who can potentially become a dominate DE Like jared allen, but there's a chance we might get a Ryan Sims(except probably faster). Although that is a steep price, is it worht it for a guy who is actually somewhat comparable to DT(RIP)? I mean, he averages like ten sacks a year.....if we do trade him it better be a pretty damn steep asking price ala Herschel Walker.

I also am leery about this, the two guys always get like this with a contract deal. So I'm hoping there is a small chance this is just a bargain banter. I think the vikings' jersey's are kind of fruity myself...I hope JA isn't one.

Since the Chiefs are rebuilding, why would you trade one of your best, young players?

And then on top of this, people are suggesting Matt Ryan is our draft pick...man, I want to vomit.

Just to add to the discussion, CP has been a real good GM over the years, I think when you compare his 18(maybe 19) years with win's-loses he's up there with the steelers franchise. So I think he's been a good GM but this will completely destroy my trust in the guy.

villagewarrior
04-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I hope the Chiefs and Allen can make something stick together here in KC, I'd hate to lose the guy, although I would hate even more to lose the guy without any compensation at all.

That said, Carl Peterson is a great businessman and he does what he does to get butts in seats, but he is not a great GM, or even a very good one. Very good and great GMs get their clubs to the Super Bowl, average GMs get their teams to sell out year after year.

vidae
04-18-2008, 11:34 AM
I've been reading everything I can on the JA deal and watching TV (espn/nfln had stories on it) and I just don't see how we can keep him.

Let's pretend for a second that we decline to trade him. What is to stop the Vikings or the Jags from just signing him anyway? Yeah, they'd have to give up two firsts, but with what we're asking for now, is it REALLY that bad? You know you're getting a guy with a nonstop motor and who works hard and I'd rather give up a first this year and a first next year instead of a first/third this year and a pick next year. Also, the Jags and Vikings are solid to GOOD football teams, so their picks will most likely be in the latter area of round one.

It sucks, but it might be time to come to our senses. It doesn't look good for JA in a Chiefs uniform.

Hermstheman83
04-18-2008, 02:12 PM
I've been reading everything I can on the JA deal and watching TV (espn/nfln had stories on it) and I just don't see how we can keep him.

Let's pretend for a second that we decline to trade him. What is to stop the Vikings or the Jags from just signing him anyway? Yeah, they'd have to give up two firsts, but with what we're asking for now, is it REALLY that bad? You know you're getting a guy with a nonstop motor and who works hard and I'd rather give up a first this year and a first next year instead of a first/third this year and a pick next year. Also, the Jags and Vikings are solid to GOOD football teams, so their picks will most likely be in the latter area of round one.

It sucks, but it might be time to come to our senses. It doesn't look good for JA in a Chiefs uniform.

No way a team gives up two firsts for JA. He's good, but I don't know a lot of people worth that much to teams(although Herschel walker was that good to the vikes apparently :D ) I just don't understand, we are in the middle of a "youth" movement and with JA already being a cornerstone to our defense and a young guy at that. Why would we want to get rid of him? Granted he wants D.Freeney money, but the guy makes our defense so much better, plus from a financial perspective let's say this plays out:
KC trades JA for 1st round and 3rd round(vikes prop).
1a. Vernon Gholston/Chris Long
1b. Jeff Otah/Chris Williams
2. Brandon Flowers/Other CB/PR
3a. Cherilus
3b.whoever

For simplicity let's assume that Mr. Gholston wants the same amount of money JA is asking for(realistic right?), to me, that's already less than JA is asking for, why? Because 1. JA has cleaned up and 2. Vernon/Long are unproven commodities. They have the potential to be amazing, but it's not guarunteed, JA has proven he's a 10 sack a year guy.
Bottom Line....Pay the man

vidae
04-18-2008, 02:23 PM
I don't see how we can lock up that much money in one guy when we need two starting cornerbacks, three new offensive lineman, a WR threat and potentially a quarterback.

And now that the rumor is the Vikings offered him 8 years for 71 mil with 32 guaranteed, would we match that? I seriously doubt it.

adschofield
04-18-2008, 02:24 PM
I don't see how we can lock up that much money in one guy when we need two starting cornerbacks, three new offensive lineman, a WR threat and potentially a quarterback.

And now that the rumor is the Vikings offered him 8 years for 71 mil with 32 guaranteed, would we match that? I seriously doubt it.

You just hit the nail on the head...We can't lock up a guy for that much when we need 4 new starters on the OL, 1 WR, 1 QB, 2 CBs, and maybe 1 DT

Hermstheman83
04-19-2008, 04:15 PM

Yea, good point guys. but I thought alone the 5th overall pick guy would demand that. My point was that JA was proven, and the fifth overall could be a Ryan Sims.....Rep points around!

DJohnson56
04-20-2008, 02:08 PM
You know the only thing about this whole deal that I find confusing is in the end we will probably pay as much for the #5 pick as we would for JA......unproven rookie or pro bowl stud.

T-RICH49
04-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Anyone else hear Jack Harry say last night the players are angry for how he deal with JA and how most people out at Arrowhead want CP out.Couple that with Clark Huint taking over the JA situation and I think Carl's reign of terror could be coming to a close

vidae
04-22-2008, 04:02 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/04/21/kansas_city_agrees_to_terms_with_unrestricted_free _agent_c_wade_smith/

Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Monday that the club has agreed to terms of a two-year contract with unrestricted free agent C Wade Smith. As per Chiefs policy, no other terms of the agreement was made available.

Thoughts?

bored of education
04-22-2008, 10:51 PM
received a 1st and 2 3rds

man i was almost done with my analysis...well ill post my realistic mock with explanations friday

T-RICH49
04-22-2008, 10:56 PM
best deal we could have really expected.

calichief
04-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Wow! I had a feeling we would do it and I was kinda hoping we would do it but now that it's been done I don't know how to feel?

I feel bummed because for all the negative stuff on Allen he was a beast and our best defensive player... I feel good that we got all those picks now and a chance to get the other Long or Gholston.

All that's left is to hit on those picks and make'em count!

T-RICH49
04-22-2008, 11:29 PM
now that I look at the contract Minnesota gave him the deal looks even better

vidae
04-22-2008, 11:57 PM
I have no doubt in my mind that Matt Ryan is going to be the pick.

With THIRTEEN total picks, six in the first three rounds, we can really build around him and make sure he has the players (most notably the offensive line) to succeed.

This is going to be an INSANELY exciting draft day! It can't come too soon!

villagewarrior
04-23-2008, 08:54 AM
In my opinion, drafting Matt Ryan makes this a waste. He is not a franchise quarterback. He's going to be a starter, sure, but he's not the guy that you pass up other guys for. I'm of the strongest belief that all of the interest in Matt Ryan is a smokescreen. Hey Baltimore, if you want Ryan you'll have to trade up for him!

eazyb81
04-23-2008, 09:02 AM
In my opinion, drafting Matt Ryan makes this a waste. He is not a franchise quarterback. He's going to be a starter, sure, but he's not the guy that you pass up other guys for. I'm of the strongest belief that all of the interest in Matt Ryan is a smokescreen. Hey Baltimore, if you want Ryan you'll have to trade up for him!

I disagree. I think if we're going for a true rebuild, we have to start with an elite QB, and Ryan fits the bill. QBs are the most important position in this league, and Ryan compares favorably to guys like Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, and Carson Palmer. You might not think he's a franchise QB, but most of the experts do.

If we can land Ryan and the go BPA the rest of the draft I will be one happy man.

BPhilb
04-23-2008, 09:04 AM

I don't disagree and hope your right. I'm probably higher on Ryan that you are but given the pressure and money for a top 5 pick I think it's best to fill other needs for right now. It also appears that we will be picking pretty high next year and might be able to go to the QB well where hopefully another prospect will emerge with a higher grade.

I'm on the Chris Long bandwagon now as it appears that he will be available for us and he's a high motor guy who could be the future leader of our defense. Trading back is going to give us more picks also but at some point you have to wonder how much room we are going to have for all of these picks. It's almost like we will be fielding a college all star team now.

Hermstheman83
04-23-2008, 09:05 AM
I disagree. I think if we're going for a true rebuild, we have to start with an elite QB, and Ryan fits the bill. QBs are the most important position in this league, and Ryan compares favorably to guys like Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, and Carson Palmer. You might not think he's a franchise QB, but most of the experts do.

If we can land Ryan and the go BPA the rest of the draft I will be one happy man.

Why would they do that when they love Brodie? Brodie also has all the tools, except an offensive line. The big thing about ryan are his "intangibles" and you don't pay 25 million dollars for intangibles with a weaker arm. It has to be a smokescreen.

BPhilb
04-23-2008, 09:08 AM

It does seem though that a lot of experts seem to be coming down from this opinion though. There are many mocks where he is falling to 8 or below and I think teams at the top just are not certain of the risk. The best comparison that I heard for Ryan's upside is Matt Hasselback, but I'm hearing more and more that the other three QB's behind Ryan are closing the gap which given the cost involved scares me a bit.