PDA

View Full Version : Moose snipped - ABrown extended(2yrs)

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-18-2008, 03:05 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806bde90&template=without-video&confirm=true

Good and Good.

Will Moose come back for cheap?

bearsfan_51
02-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Huh...the extension of Brown is a bit of a suprise. Dan Bazuin is going to end up being a rather sorry draft pick I'm afraid. He's clearly fourth on the depth chart and will have a hard time even getting activated on gameday.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-18-2008, 03:20 PM
It was a really questionable pick at the time and now just looks horrible. I didn't get it and now I really don't.

Bazuin won't sniff the field next year.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Schefter also reports that the Bears are expected to release two other veteran players on Monday.

Darwin Walker & Fred Miller?

pellepelle_10
02-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Schefter also reports that the Bears are expected to release two other veteran players on Monday.

Darwin Walker & Fred Miller?

One can only hope that these 2 r next. Hopefully they can add Archuleta to that list also.

bearsfan_51
02-18-2008, 03:50 PM
It was a really questionable pick at the time and now just looks horrible. I didn't get it and now I really don't.

Bazuin won't sniff the field next year.
Well I think the logic was that they were going to trade Alex Brown, which never materialized. I think Bazuin is a good player and a great fit for our defense. I can understand the pick standing by itself, but in the context of our current roster I think it's going to be a waste.

At least we've got very good depth at an important position.

bearsfan_51
02-18-2008, 03:51 PM
One can only hope that these 2 r next. Hopefully they can add Archuleta to that list also.

Archuleta costs the vet minimum against the cap for next season, so there's no reason to cut him now. I think he'll get invited to training camp.

pellepelle_10
02-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Archuleta costs the vet minimum against the cap for next season, so there's no reason to cut him now. I think he'll get invited to training camp.

Thats fine as long as June 1st he's getting his walking papers.

bearsfan_51
02-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Thats fine as long as June 1st he's getting his walking papers.

That doesn't make any sense either. Why June 1st?

Look, Arch has all of his money already paid to him, almost entirely by the Redskins. He's not going to cost anything next year so the only reason why we would cut him is because he can't play anymore (similar to Moose). Cutting him now, or June, or September isn't going to make any difference.

I think Arch could still be a really good contributor on special teams with his athleticism, which is why I think he'll be given a chance to make the team in training camp.

BeerBaron
02-18-2008, 04:07 PM
yeah if arch is at the minimum, theres no reason to cut him. hes experienced with good leadership even if his on field play has diminished....

ill bet the next two vets are miller and walker as well. put me in for 20 on that, lol.

as for bazuin, maybe it wont be a waste. remember last year, until kiwanuka got hurt, the giants were using 4 ends pretty successfully. either rotating them or putting them all in on passing downs. why can we bring something like that to use?

dabears10
02-18-2008, 04:17 PM
yeah if arch is at the minimum, theres no reason to cut him. hes experienced with good leadership even if his on field play has diminished....

ill bet the next two vets are miller and walker as well. put me in for 20 on that, lol.

as for bazuin, maybe it wont be a waste. remember last year, until kiwanuka got hurt, the giants were using 4 ends pretty successfully. either rotating them or putting them all in on passing downs. why can we bring something like that to use?

Yeah that would be great, if we had as quality of 4 DE's they had. Bazuin is still an unknown. Anderson is pretty proven as only quality on passing situations. Let's hope we can do that and all players get up to their best level.

BeerBaron
02-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah that would be great, if we had as quality of 4 DE's they had. Bazuin is still an unknown. Anderson is pretty proven as only quality on passing situations. Let's hope we can do that and all players get up to their best level.

that would be nice. i think brown might be better all around than anderson and should probably be in there on non-passing downs instead....i know at least at the beggining of the year it wasnt like that

Smokey Joe
02-18-2008, 04:38 PM
cutting Archuletta would save us close to $700,000... So there is no need to cut him right away.

BeerBaron
02-18-2008, 04:58 PM
cutting Archuletta would save us close to $700,000... So there is no need to cut him right away.

i think a guy who is an athletic freak, can play good special teams and can help mentor younger safeties is a bargain for just 700k

bearsfan_51
02-18-2008, 05:01 PM
The only real issues is there is a glut of unproven strong safties on our team. We've already got McGowan and Kevin Payne, and may bring in someone else to compete too. Then again we need someone to compete with/provide depth for Danieal Manning just as much, so maybe not.

DaBears0530
02-18-2008, 05:58 PM
now without moose and possibly berrian. what is the receiving corps going to look like?

DaBears9654
02-18-2008, 06:02 PM
now without moose and possibly berrian. what is the receiving corps going to look like?
I wouldn't be surprised to see Hester as @ least the #3.

bearsfan_51
02-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Oh Hester will most definately be in the top 3. Bradley and Hester were playing in front of Moose at the end of last year anyway.

DaBears0530
02-18-2008, 06:24 PM
i still see them going after a veteran wideout

k0ng
02-18-2008, 06:33 PM
With Moose gone, there is no way that they let Berrian walk.

k0ng
02-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Fred Miller - "he gone"

regoob2
02-18-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm real happy to hear about this. I've been saying forever that Brown should be the starter and I hope he gets the chance next year and Moose isn't doing anything that a guy half his age can't do. We have to bring in another receiver hopefully a Marty Booker, Bryant Johnson or to a lesser extent Wilford.

bearsfan_51
02-18-2008, 07:36 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/02/bears-release-d.html

There's the other shoe. Fred Miller and Darwin Walker both released as well.

BeerBaron
02-18-2008, 07:41 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/02/bears-release-d.html

There's the other shoe. Fred Miller and Darwin Walker both released as well.

thats a relief. means that RT spot will definitely be addressed in some way

bearsfan_51
02-18-2008, 07:44 PM
I think John St. Clair *could* be the short term starter.

These moves make us a fair amount younger though. The oldest player on the team next year will be John Tait at 33. After him is Urlacher, St. Clair, and Kreutz at 31 each. That's pretty good.

Not including our punter and long-snapper in that I should add.

Hurricane Ditka
02-18-2008, 07:44 PM
thats a relief. means that RT spot will definitely be addressed in some way
Hopefully by drafting a left tackle, and putting Tait on the right side.

BeerBaron
02-18-2008, 07:47 PM
I think John St. Clair *could* be the short term starter.

These moves make us a fair amount younger though. The oldest player on the team next year will be John Tait at 33. After him is Urlacher, St. Clair, and Kreutz at 31 each. That's pretty good.

Not including our punter and long-snapper in that I should add.

excellent, excellent. and besides urlacher, most of those guys should only be around a short while longer as well. (maybe not kreutz, idk...)

but thats good, the younger the better. well....not necessarily....but you get the point

BeerBaron
02-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Hopefully by drafting a left tackle, and putting Tait on the right side.

or leaving tait be for a year and letting the rookie get warmed up to the nfl on the right side

bearsfan_51
02-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Whoops, my bad. Urlacher will be 30, but Des Clark (replacement already on the team) and O-Gun (plenty of depth) will be 31. I think we can get at least two more good years out of Tait on the right side, so there aren't any immediate age-related issues on the team. I think Beekman can eventually replace Kreutz.

By the way, if you want to know the ages of each players by next season it's all on the depth chart thread stickied at the top.

regoob2
02-18-2008, 08:02 PM
or leaving tait be for a year and letting the rookie get warmed up to the nfl on the right side
I'm not sure I agree with that. Obviously it depends on who but i'd rather play a Ryan Clady or Chris Williams at LT to start.

regoob2
02-18-2008, 08:05 PM
What do you guys think about Bryant Johnson?? He has great size and can also stretch the field.

bearsfan_51
02-18-2008, 08:08 PM
What do you guys think about Bryant Johnson?? He has great size and can also stretch the field.
What makes you think he can stretch the field? I wouldn't be against Johnson but I'd rather just give Mark Bradley a chance.

regoob2
02-18-2008, 08:09 PM
He's no Berrian but he has more than enough speed. There's a reason Bradley doesn't see the field even with our receiving core.

bearsfan_51
02-18-2008, 08:13 PM
He's no Berrian but he has more than enough speed. There's a reason Bradley doesn't see the field even with our receiving core.

*Shrug*. Injuries, Berrian's emergence, the fact that Moose was still on the roster. Bradley is 26 years old, two years younger than Johnson.

I mean yes, Fitz and Boldin are ahead of Johnson, but they drafted Fitz after Johnson, and it's not like he's done a whole lot when one of the two was out.

Again, I'm not against it, but I don't think he's anymore of an answer than Bradley.

bearfan
02-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Thank Jesus. Moose is kinda a suprise, I think if he renagotiated he could have been a good veteran mentor for our younger WRs. But I dont hate the move, and now you have to think that we have a deal/franchise working w/ Berrian. Miller was a must, hopefully we go after Starks or someone young in FA or draft it. Walker was a nice relief too

regoob2
02-18-2008, 08:56 PM
I think he would be a much better compliment to Berrian than Bradley would. He has much better size and he has proven that he can contribute. Bradley has shown nothing and therefore should not be relied on to be our #2. What happens if he gets injured again? then were stuck with Hester as a starter. We obviously need to bring in someone and I think he could be a good #2.

BeerBaron
02-18-2008, 09:18 PM
I think he would be a much better compliment to Berrian than Bradley would. He has much better size and he has proven that he can contribute. Bradley has shown nothing and therefore should not be relied on to be our #2. What happens if he gets injured again? then were stuck with Hester as a starter. We obviously need to bring in someone and I think he could be a good #2.

well...right now we've got what, bradley and hester?

with todays move of moose, i would be in favor now of bringing back berrian no matter what it takes. let him be the true #1 now.

then, i was against it initially, but for a relatively short (2-3 year) and fairly cheap deal, marty booker wouldnt hurt as a number 2/3 receiver depending on what happens with hester and bradley.

id also like to see a top 3 round rookie added in but if it doesnt happen and the things i said do, id be ok with it.

bearfan
02-18-2008, 09:18 PM
I wouldnt mind the combo of Bernard - Bradley - Hester. All 3 are fast, and quick and good after the catch, probably not complimentary, but I like all 3 and wouldnt be disapointed if we had a combo similar to that.

bearsfan_51
02-18-2008, 09:24 PM
He's heavier, not much taller. He's also considerably slower.

If we were going to sign a player to hold down the #2 spot and give Bradley/Hester competition I'd rather it be D.J Hackett. He'd be a little cheaper and I think would operate in our offense better.

Doesn't seem like Booker is even an option if you believe the press.

BeerBaron
02-18-2008, 09:27 PM
I wouldnt mind the combo of Bernard - Bradley - Hester. All 3 are fast, and quick and good after the catch, probably not complimentary, but I like all 3 and wouldnt be disapointed if we had a combo similar to that.

doesnt seem that bad assuming best case scenario works out with all three. theres kind of a lack of a possession guy there, but i think that can be balanced with our two capable TEs

bearfan
02-18-2008, 09:30 PM
doesnt seem that bad assuming best case scenario works out with all three. theres kind of a lack of a possession guy there, but i think that can be balanced with our two capable TEs

Yeah, I forgot about the TEs. Olsen is basicly a big 250lb reciever, and Clark was a converted reciever. That makes what we have even easier to digest at this point. It is if we dont resign BB that will kill us.

k0ng
02-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Whats our cap space lookin like? We've got to be 25-30 million under the cap now. We can resign Berrian, Briggs, Rex and sign Booker,and a nice OG in FA.

I'd go OT, RB, QB(maybe), S on the first day. Maybe WR(replaces QB). Then DT, OG on the 2nd day.

regoob2
02-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Hester is a terrible WR and he is only a situational guy at best. Teams are gonna figure him out.

dabears10
02-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Whats our cap space lookin like? We've got to be 25-30 million under the cap now. We can resign Berrian, Briggs, Rex and sign Booker,and a nice OG in FA.

I'd go OT, RB, QB(maybe), S on the first day. Maybe WR(replaces QB). Then DT, OG on the 2nd day.

I don't think we sign Briggs. I would be against signing Rex, just because it sets a precedent that we are moving on. I am all for signing Berrian, and not to thrilled about getting Booker. I think BF51 suggested Hackett and that seems like a guy who can fill in now and later move to the slot.

Safety on the first day doesn't make a lot of sense on just the caliber of safety in this particular draft. I think the Needs are OL guard or Tackle, DT, QB, and WR or RB if the value is right. 2nd Day I'm guessing would be OL and Secondary, just from JA's history of late rounders in the secondary.

regoob2
02-18-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't think we should resign Briggs. Every lb we plug in seems to play very well, we might as well take a chance with Williams.

bearfan
02-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Hester is a terrible WR and he is only a situational guy at best. Teams are gonna figure him out.

He was coming on torwards the end of the year though, you cant really be that hard on him with it being his 1st year at WR. I think he can improve and be a decent slot.

awfullyquiet
02-18-2008, 09:55 PM
He was coming on torwards the end of the year though, you cant really be that hard on him with it being his 1st year at WR. I think he can improve and be a decent slot.

yeah. he'll be okay for at least a little while. i mean, he might not have long term potential at the position due to his size. i'd never see him running a crossing route, but. imagine what he's good for? bubble screens. deep patterns.

my big issue is that 0% of them have great route running skills nor sticky fingers.

i want hass and ball back right now.

dabears10
02-18-2008, 10:08 PM
yeah. he'll be okay for at least a little while. i mean, he might not have long term potential at the position due to his size. i'd never see him running a crossing route, but. imagine what he's good for? bubble screens. deep patterns.

my big issue is that 0% of them have great route running skills nor sticky fingers.

i want hass and ball back right now.

I don't think size it that huge of a factor. Look at Steve Smith (carolina). It is more of his ability to understand coverages I think will hold him back, which is funny cause he was supposed to be in them.

bearfan
02-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I don't think size it that huge of a factor. Look at Steve Smith (carolina). It is more of his ability to understand coverages I think will hold him back, which is funny cause he was supposed to be in them.

I was going to say how much I hate Steve Smith b/c of what he has done. Small quick guys playing WR, there are 2 that are good to top players that come to mind: Smith, S.Moss. All other stud WRs are above 6foot. Moss, TO, Fitz, Boldin ect

awfullyquiet
02-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I was going to say how much I hate Steve Smith b/c of what he has done. Small quick guys playing WR, there are 2 that are good to top players that come to mind: Smith, S.Moss. All other stud WRs are above 6foot. Moss, TO, Fitz, Boldin ect

exactly. they're rare and far between. size is a factor in determining quality. sure, you can have a phenomenal receiver be small. but he's not gonna win tons of jump balls, and he'll have to be quick, crafty, run great routes, and excel in everything else. it's easier to find a tall fast person with great hands or a good route runner than a shorter fast person who has all sorts of skills.

smith and sinorice moss are rare exceptions.

DaBear89
02-18-2008, 10:35 PM
as far as hester, i think best case scenario is he turns into steve smith v2.0. my projection is he turns into one of the best slot guys in the league, pretty much Welker + super speed. At worst he remains a great return threat who can come in for screens, trick plays, and hail marys.

oh, and i started dancing when i heard miller was cut. im so happy right now

dabears10
02-18-2008, 10:37 PM
exactly. they're rare and far between. size is a factor in determining quality. sure, you can have a phenomenal receiver be small. but he's not gonna win tons of jump balls, and he'll have to be quick, crafty, run great routes, and excel in everything else. it's easier to find a tall fast person with great hands or a good route runner than a shorter fast person who has all sorts of skills.

smith and sinorice moss are rare exceptions.

I don't think Hester will join them, I would just say that too rule it out of just height I think is not wise considering his skills, quick burst and breaking of arm tackles, that he could be a good quality receiver. I don't think he will, but not cause he is short.

regoob2
02-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Hester should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Steve Smith. Hester can barely see the field in College at WR. Hester was bad when playing in the slot last year, His big plays came when he was split wide. I definetly think that he should be the favorite to be our #3 if he can prove worth but I don't have a ton of faith that he can EARN the job. Though I do think it will be given to him.

awfullyquiet
02-18-2008, 10:48 PM
This is the bears WR's we're talking about. he'll be given the slot position. bradley will be 2, berrian will be 1.

i mean, regardless, i think we're set on the qb position, someone with moderate competency will be throwing the rock. grossman, maybe, orton, maybe. who knows. but either way, i know they can both make throws to receivers. and we have some threats if we include olsen.

i think we should play a game...

regoob2
02-18-2008, 11:07 PM
I hope we address OL early and often. Gross and Orton can make plays when given time.

BeerBaron
02-18-2008, 11:10 PM
im against resigning grossman. just straight against it. i hope some other team overpays him to go over there and not hold onto the ball and run around like a chicken with its head cut off in the pocket. kyle orton should have just kept starting since day 1 of his rookie year.

im also against resigning briggs. not because hes a bad player, but i think hes going to cost a lot. more than we should invest at least.

as for berrian, i think we kind of have to now...hes the only thing remotely close to a #1 WR we could get our hands on. even if its a franchise tag at this point which i was previously against. but one more year to see what he could do...that would be a huge plus

now as for hester, i dont think we should count on him to develop into a top WR. we should keep using him as a situational guy while he develops further, and anything he becomes better at is just icing on the cake. regardless, hes going to require extra attention from the defense every time he gets out on the field.

MidwayMonster31
02-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Johnson has been an underachiever, even though it was Arizona. Even though he was picked ahead of Boldin, Boldin outplayed him. There was probably a reason they picked Fitzgerald the next year.
If we do sign a veteran, I would like Jerry Porter and hope he just hated being a Raider and hope Berrian comes back. Hester showed some good things, but he should just be situational. Hester is not much of a Steve Smith, if anyone is like Smith, it's Dexter Jackson from Appalachian State. So if he's there late, he would make a decent sleeper.

BeerBaron
02-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Johnson has been an underachiever, even though it was Arizona. Even though he was picked ahead of Boldin, Boldin outplayed him. There was probably a reason they picked Fitzgerald the next year.
If we do sign a veteran, I would like Jerry Porter and hope he just hated being a Raider and hope Berrian comes back. Hester showed some good things, but he should just be situational. Hester is not much of a Steve Smith, if anyone is like Smith, it's Dexter Jackson from Appalachian State. So if he's there late, he would make a decent sleeper.

i think the problem is though we just dont have enough at WR currently to wait for a sleeper type to develop.

if we draft a WR with the hopes of having him make an impact, it would likely have to be in the first three rounds and probably someone already somewhat polished

MidwayMonster31
02-19-2008, 12:11 AM
i think the problem is though we just dont have enough at WR currently to wait for a sleeper type to develop.

if we draft a WR with the hopes of having him make an impact, it would likely have to be in the first three rounds and probably someone already somewhat polishedThose are good points, but more likely than not, you don't see much out of first year wide receivers. There have been some good rookies, but overall, rookie receivers do some things, but not really a lot. I really don't see anyone stepping in right away to make an impact.

bearsfan_51
02-19-2008, 01:48 AM
I'm actually for signing Grossman, and I cannot for the life of me believe that I'm saying that.

The truth is that if we are going to try and win this year, spending a top pick on a quarterback is pointless. I actually agree that Orton should go into camp as option 1A but we MUST get some real competition for him (I love ya Griese but you ain't it). Trading for Anderson would be a mistake, trading for McNabb would be impossible I think. That leaves Grossman as the best option. Give him a 2 year-8 mil contract. I'd be fine with that.

DaBear89
02-19-2008, 02:12 AM
I'm actually for signing Grossman, and I cannot for the life of me believe that I'm saying that.
after seeing this i thought "Death to the imposter!"

The truth is that if we are going to try and win this year, spending a top pick on a quarterback is pointless. I actually agree that Orton should go into camp as option 1A but we MUST get some real competition for him (I love ya Griese but you ain't it). Trading for Anderson would be a mistake, trading for McNabb would be impossible I think. That leaves Grossman as the best option. Give him a 2 year-8 mil contract. I'd be fine with that.

then you made such a good point. BOO QB IN ROUND 1 OR 2!!

regoob2
02-19-2008, 07:17 AM
I don't think any WR from this draft would come in and be our #2. I hope we use a lot more 2 TEs like we were doing towards the end of last year. Olsen is gonna be split out in the slot. We obviously have to bring in someone I just hope we keep Berrian.

Bighead734
02-19-2008, 08:06 AM
im also against resigning briggs. not because hes a bad player, but i think hes going to cost a lot. more than we should invest at least.

as for berrian, i think we kind of have to now...hes the only thing remotely close to a #1 WR we could get our hands on. even if its a franchise tag at this point which i was previously against. but one more year to see what he could do...that would be a huge plus

I disagree. I think Lance Briggs would be a much better resigning than Berrien. I don't think Briggs is as good outside of the Tampa 2, but he has been as important to this defense the past couple years as Brian Urlacher. Keeping them together keeps the Bears defense in the top half of the NFL.

I like Berrien, but feel he is not worth the money he is going to get. WRs seem to come and go, while LBs seem to make impacts for longer periods of time.

I would love to keep both, but if I had to choose it would be Briggs.

regoob2
02-19-2008, 08:23 AM
I disagree. I think Lance Briggs would be a much better resigning than Berrien. I don't think Briggs is as good outside of the Tampa 2, but he has been as important to this defense the past couple years as Brian Urlacher. Keeping them together keeps the Bears defense in the top half of the NFL.

I like Berrien, but feel he is not worth the money he is going to get. WRs seem to come and go, while LBs seem to make impacts for longer periods of time.

I would love to keep both, but if I had to choose it would be Briggs.
I disagree, you say that WRs come and go which would means its harder to find a quality WR which is why we need to keep Berrian. I don't think our D was in the top half of the league last year which wasn't Briggs' fault but we have good depth behind him which we don't have a WR. The coaches seem to be high on Jamar Williams and we made Briggs into a pro bowler whats to say we can't do the same with Williams. Berrian is all we have on offense. No one else is stepping up on O while Briggs isn't even our best LB. He wants way to much and the money we can save on him we can give to Berrian and bring up more quality players. I'd love Briggs to stay for the price we originally offered him 2 years ago if not a lil more but he's gonna want 50mil (give or take) and thats just to much for a possible product of the system.

bearsfan_51
02-19-2008, 10:18 AM
For those curious, Brown's extension was 2 years-15.5 million. Not exactly cheap, but consider he's got two years left player for very cheap it probably equals out to something like 4 years-20 million.

The cuts apparently knocked 15 million off of our salary cap and should bring us down to over 30 million dollars in cap space.

With that said apparently we've offered contracts to Berrian, Briggs, Badejo, and Grossman. We're also expected to low tender (972,000) McGowan and Rasheid Davis.

dabears10
02-19-2008, 10:20 AM
For those curious, Brown's extension was 2 years-15.5 million. Not exactly cheap, but consider he's got two years left player for very cheap it probably equals out to something like 4 years-20 million.

The cuts apparently knocked 15 million off of our salary cap and should bring us down to over 30 million dollars in cap space.

With that said apparently we've offered contracts to Berrian, Briggs, Badejo, and Grossman. We're also expected to low tender (972,000) McGowan and Rasheid Davis.

I think Davis would be good for the WR Corps. Hope he accepts.

How serious do we think the contracts sent to Berrian and Briggs are? I think The Berrian one is close to a real number where I think they are somewhat lowballing Briggs.

bearsfan_51
02-19-2008, 10:27 AM
They have to accept or find another team to sign them to a deal that the Bears can match. I highly doubt that either player is going to be able to find a team that will fork over too much cash for their services.

As for the contracts, I tend to agree. I hope we don't overpay for Badejo. He's over 30 and does nothing but special teams. I'm most curious as to Tommie Harris' offer. It will likely be tops at his position.

k0ng
02-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Final push made to keep Briggs, Berrian, Ayanbadejo

The Bears are not going to give up on their own stars. Not without a final effort.

That became obvious Monday when it was discovered the release of three starters from last season and extension of defensive end Alex Brown was not the only business going on at Halas Hall. Along with dispatching right tackle Fred Miller, wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad and defensive tackle Darwin Walker, the Bears have made contract offers to linebacker Lance Briggs, wide receiver Bernard Berrian, defensive tackle Tommie Harris and special teamer Brendon Ayanbadejo.

Harris is signed through 2008. The others are set to become unrestricted free agents and general manager Jerry Angelo wants to start his free-agent shopping with his own. All four offers are under consideration, and all four players are represented by Miami-based power broker Drew Rosenhaus. If the Bears meet with success they could build some real momentum at the scouting combine in Indianapolis later this week, a place the organization looked so foolish last year.

The club was stumbling through efforts to reach agreement with coach Lovie Smith on a new contract during the combine last February when agent Frank Bauer ripped the team. There were other moves being made on the coaching staff, and the shaky beginning to an offseason coming off Super Bowl XLI proved to be an omen for a rocky season to come.

If Angelo manages to re-sign all four players—and a meeting is in the works at the combine with agent Eugene Parker about a new contract for quarterback Rex Grossman—many of the club’s offseason questions could be answered before free agency opens at 11 p.m. Feb. 28. It would also bring in to focus the draft, where the Bears are expected to choose an offensive tackle in the first two rounds.

Miller might have another season of decent football left in him after undergoing surgery on his right ankle. His agent Harold Lewis indicated he expects his client to receive serious looks in a thin market. The Bears had to get a young tackle, really something they probably should have done before this year, and Miller’s play had slipped at 34.

Muhammad also can remain productive but it’s questionable whether anyone will view him as a starter. He’s closing in on 10,000 yards for his career and can help a team needing a possession receiver. His departure probably has as much to do with the need for Devin Hester and Mark Bradley to blossom as anything. Muhammad was going to pocket $2.1 million this season, not an overwhelming figure.

``The Bears did this at a time which allows Moose to catch on with another team,’’ agent Joel Segal said. ``We appreciate that. Any time a guy who has had a prolific career like Moose gets released, it’s a surprise. But he’s still playing at a high level and he looks forward to his next opportunity.’’

By the end of the season, the Bears preferred Anthony Adams to Walker at defensive tackle. Adams suffered an arm injury, but should be healed during the offseason program and the real hope is Dusty Dvoracek will remain healthy. Look for the team to address defensive tackle, however, through free agency or the draft.

Posted by Brad Biggs on February 19, 2008 02:29 AM

BeerBaron
02-19-2008, 11:42 AM
to bf51, your grossman reasoning makes sense i would say but i would really like to think that not bringing him back is the first step towards the future. i dont think hes at all even close to being what we could consider "our guy" and lead us at QB into the future.

and not that orton really seems to be either, but at teh very least hes bigger and holds onto the football a little better. plus...66% career winning percentage

bearsfan_51
02-19-2008, 12:12 PM
to bf51, your grossman reasoning makes sense i would say but i would really like to think that not bringing him back is the first step towards the future. i dont think hes at all even close to being what we could consider "our guy" and lead us at QB into the future.

and not that orton really seems to be either, but at teh very least hes bigger and holds onto the football a little better. plus...66% career winning percentage

My concern is that until Orton proves he can be a reliable starter (which I think we can all agree he has yet to do), we need 2 quarterbacks. It's really a choice of Grossman over Griese, not Grossman over Orton. I'm a huge fan of Griese as a person. Having read all of his charatable works and the stuff he's done for his kida you can't help but be very impressed. That said, he was ridiculously careless with the football last year, is on the bill for about 5 mil next year, and will be 33. If we can sign Grossman for the same money that we'd save by cutting Griese, even for a bit more, I'd say it's a no-brainer.

BeerBaron
02-19-2008, 12:21 PM
My concern is that until Orton proves he can be a reliable starter (which I think we can all agree he has yet to do), we need 2 quarterbacks. It's really a choice of Grossman over Griese, not Grossman over Orton. I'm a huge fan of Griese as a person. Having read all of his charatable works and the stuff he's done for his kida you can't help but be very impressed. That said, he was ridiculously careless with the football last year, is on the bill for about 5 mil next year, and will be 33. If we can sign Grossman for the same money that we'd save by cutting Griese, even for a bit more, I'd say it's a no-brainer.

ok, versus greise ill buy it. part way through your argument when i read that he was careless with the football i was thinking "more careless than rex usually is?"

but the money thing....alright. for that reason ill agree to him over griese.

but! i will say that i think consistancy at the QB spot will be key.

if there must be a competition, then sure. but whoever wins the job and goes into the season needs to be given an extended opportunity to keep the job. we can't be swapping out every few games again

and i think that if its between orton and grossman, orton should probably have a decent headstart seeing as how he just seems to keep ahold of the football better. there were games last year that i think we might have won even if our offense just went 3 and a punt as opposed to wild grossman interceptions and fumbles. just to give our defense a little longer of a break and the opponent worse field position would have been fantastic. the chargers game last year for one, the pats game 2 years ago was another. even the superbowl might have been different if we had a guy who would just hang onto the football

toonsterwu
02-19-2008, 03:45 PM
I think we are stuck in a tough place in the draft. Assuming Clady and Long are off, the preference is probably Chris Williams, but there is no certainty that he will be available, with Denver and Carolina both teams that could look that way. If not, do we pursue a Jeff Otah there? If so, that may lock in John Tait at LT for perhaps 2 years, which would have me worried. I'm a huge fan of Otah, but I think he'll need some time to be able to consider trying him at LT.

If we wait until the 2nd round, it might be guys like Anthony Collins or Heath Benedict that we end up looking at. Maybe Carl Nicks if he falls, although IMO, that seems unlikely as of now. I like Collins/Benedict enough, but I don't love either guy.

The other dynamic to look at is the likely need to add a QB in the first 2 rounds.

The ideal situation is probably to deal down, but then again, I could see every team in this draft consider dealing down (and only a handful of teams to move up). If we could go into the late first, we could either take a QB there, and ponder packaging some picks to move up for a few slots for a tackle in the 2nd. Or we could take a Nicks/Baker/Cherilus in the late first and wait on a QB in the 2nd. The last thought would be to trade up in the first, but I don't see it.

Resigning Briggs would be interesting to say the least. Curious what the numbers offered are. If we did keep him, that'd be awfully sweet in that LB/CB/DE are effectively off the board in terms of anything remotely early, giving us leeway to be aggressive (perhaps enough leeway to let us be aggressive in moving up in the first?). That said, my preference would still be to keep Berrian over Briggs. If we could keep both, then we have a lot more flexibility in the offseason.

As for Ayanbadejo, sure, if he's amenable to a deal, wouldn't mind to have him back. That said, I'm not going to be too hurt if he leaves.

Gay Ork Wang
02-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Whats with Brandan Albert? Maybe trading with the Steelers who might want to get Otah and pick Albert?

toonsterwu
02-20-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm trying to answer that same question myself. Honestly, I never expected so much excitement over Albert, and I'm a huge UVA fan.

All that said, I don't expect the Steelers to bolt up. They should find a good offensive lineman there. I mean, Cherilus can step in at RT. Nicks could be a thought, and so could Albert if he's there. Ideally, they'd draft someone with LT potential, but the early look at 2009 OT's shows a decent class as well. They are competing now, so I think they might want to fill some holes this year.

Gay Ork Wang
02-20-2008, 12:13 PM
well Steelers were just an example, there should be someone to trade up a lil