PDA

View Full Version : NFL to Scrimmage College Teams my happen in 2012

bdlyons26
02-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Sources within the NCAA and NFL have rumored of proposition for scrimages to take place between a handful of college teams and selected nfl teams that would be to start in the 2012 preseason.

Thought this sounded stupid a good way for our good old college kids to get hurt any opinions?

BamaFalcon59
02-18-2008, 10:37 PM
2005 USC would have beaten 2005 San Francisco 49ers.

bdlyons26
02-18-2008, 10:38 PM
sorry about the grammar i have a sticky a key i meant may to my!
It doesn't make much sense but in the back of my head i had always thought hey i wonder if usc could beat the dolphins, etc. its interesting but sounds like a stupid idea.
maybe if it wasn't full impact..... or maybe just upperclassmen could participate.
im sure it will be mainly for money b/c i know a lot of people that would love to see a high powered usc team of the 2000's ram heads with a nfl team.
sounds really strange.... i can't figure why it hasn't been all over espn... but i have seen this on several different forums.

thefridge15
02-18-2008, 10:41 PM
I say it would depend on the way the Pros would view it. If they would respect the college guys and play to make them better than it would maybe work. But if they played them as if the college players were the freshman on the high school football team and tried to kill them, then it wouldnt be worth it at all.

regoob2
02-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Do you have a link? Don't think it would help either really.

bdlyons26
02-18-2008, 10:52 PM
ya comps running slow give me a few minutes and i will give you link to the other forums, threads, and things i have found on it!

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-18-2008, 11:22 PM
College teams would get dominated.

kalbears13
02-18-2008, 11:31 PM
It should be the Practice Squads vs. the college teams if it's going to be fair.

P-L
02-19-2008, 08:53 AM
2005 USC would have beaten 2005 San Francisco 49ers.
2005 USC probably would've lost 42-0 after San Francisco pulled their starters at half-time. People that continue to suggest that any college team could put up a fight against a pro team, much less win, just simply don't understand the huge difference in talent level that there really is.

bills51tuff
02-19-2008, 03:07 PM
The 2001 Hurricanes would've beat a handful of NFL teams that year.

Team was absolutely loaded.

Shane P. Hallam
02-19-2008, 03:58 PM
No, 2001 Hurricanes would have done nothing. Their O-line would have been dominated.

keylime_5
02-19-2008, 04:16 PM
A really horrible NFL team is >>>>>>>>>>than any great college team. NFL is far superior to college ball, not only in terms of player talent, but more importantly in terms of the speed of the game, complexity of the schemes and plays ,and the experience of the players. A really lousy team like the 2005 '9ers would've blown out the 2005 Trojans and it would have been really apparent of how far the gap between the two leagues are.

BigJohn98
02-19-2008, 04:18 PM
I'd like to see the National Champion scrimmage the Super Bowl champion.

VoteLynnSwan
02-19-2008, 04:19 PM
2005 USC probably would've lost 42-0 after San Francisco pulled their starters at half-time. People that continue to suggest that any college team could put up a fight against a pro team, much less win, just simply don't understand the huge difference in talent level that there really is.

with USC though it's different... they basically had a pro player at every single position.

OL:
Sam Baker
Deuce Lutui
Fred Matua
Ryan Kalil
Winston Justice
Clio Rachel
Jeff Byers

DL:
Lawrence Jackson
Sedrick Ellis
Manny Wright
Frostee Rucker
LaJuan Ramsey
Fili Moala

WR/TE:
Dwayne Jarrett
Steve Smith
Dominique Byrd
Fred Davis
Chris McFoy

RB/FB:
David Kirtman
Reggie Bush
Lendale White
Chauncey Washington

QB:
Matt Leinart
John David Booty
Mark Sanchez

DB:
Darnell Bing
Eric Wright

LB:
Keith Rivers
Rey Maualuga
Oscar Lua
Ryan Powdrell
Brian Cushing

those are all guys who made it to the NFL through the draft and through free agency or will be drafted in the coming years. Obviously the weakness here is in the secondary...

VoteLynnSwan
02-19-2008, 04:21 PM
I'd like to see the National Champion scrimmage the Super Bowl champion.

... this would be insane... you couldn't put the BEST nfl team against a college team... that'd be a joke... although the Giants weren't exactly the best NFL team, but imagine how bad Strahan, Tuck, and Osi would dominate that LSU offensiveline... it'd be an embarrassment.

keylime_5
02-19-2008, 04:28 PM
with USC though it's different... they basically had a pro player at every single position.

OL:
Sam Baker
Deuce Lutui
Fred Matua
Ryan Kalil
Winston Justice
Clio Rachel
Jeff Byers

DL:
Lawrence Jackson
Sedrick Ellis
Manny Wright
Frostee Rucker
LaJuan Ramsey
Fili Moala

WR/TE:
Dwayne Jarrett
Steve Smith
Dominique Byrd
Fred Davis
Chris McFoy

RB/FB:
David Kirtman
Reggie Bush
Lendale White
Chauncey Washington

QB:
Matt Leinart
John David Booty
Mark Sanchez

DB:
Darnell Bing
Eric Wright

LB:
Keith Rivers
Rey Maualuga
Oscar Lua
Ryan Powdrell
Brian Cushing

those are all guys who made it to the NFL through the draft and through free agency or will be drafted in the coming years. Obviously the weakness here is in the secondary...

There's a difference between having a bunch of future pros, or even pro studs, and having a team full of veteran NFL players who are used to playing at a speed much faster than any college team. 2005 USC had a handful or two # of guys who could start for 2005 San Fran. San Fran had 22/22 starters who good enough to start for any college team conceivably, and they are playing for NFL coaches in NFL schemes, running plays at NFL speed, and playing with other guys who have been in the NFL for years.

Tampa 2 4 life
02-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Bulls Vs. Bucs - Obvious.

TimD
02-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Almost every guy in the NFL was one of the better players on his college team.

VoteLynnSwan
02-19-2008, 04:35 PM
There's a difference between having a bunch of future pros, or even pro studs, and having a team full of veteran NFL players who are used to playing at a speed much faster than any college team. 2005 USC had a handful or two # of guys who could start for 2005 San Fran. San Fran had 22/22 starters who good enough to start for any college team conceivably, and they are playing for NFL coaches in NFL schemes, running plays at NFL speed, and playing with other guys who have been in the NFL for years.

the college team would undoubtedly be beaten, but not because of a lack of talent was my point, i didn't make that clear.

VoteLynnSwan
02-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Almost every guy in the NFL was one of the better players on his college team.

not Willie Parker

BaLLiN
02-19-2008, 04:51 PM
not a good idea considering how much more physical NFL teams are.

kalbears13
02-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Maybe it would be cool to get like the 2005 USC Trojans and like the 2001 Miami Hurricanes and have them play NOW against each other.

keylime_5
02-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah, but that wouldn't really be the true 2001 Hurricanes after the Taylor tragedy. :( He was a freshman that year, right?

kalbears13
02-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah, but that wouldn't really be the true 2001 Hurricanes after the Taylor tragedy. :( He was a freshman that year, right?

That was just an example but you could do like All-Michigan vs. All-Ohio State. I think that would be pretty good. Just like the best players that went to those schools play each other.

andyjo672
02-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Everyone that says look at that team, it was loaded, and then point out that they had something like 25 guys drafted from that team. The NFL is full of 52 guys that got drafted (or were UDFA that made the team, thus making them better, conceivably, than many players that were drafted and cut). Those college teams with the 25 guys have many of them as back ups, third stringers, etc. The NFL team has 22, full-time starters. It wouldn't be close, and that isn't even talking about the premium coaching, the better conditioning, the more complex schemes, the player intelligence that develops after coming to the pros and the physical development.

It wouldn't be fair, and to be honest, I wouldn't want my college team playing an NFL team for fear of injuries. Would you really want your favorite college team's quarterback dropping back with the NYG's front four coming after him?

keylime_5
02-19-2008, 08:06 PM
That was just an example but you could do like All-Michigan vs. All-Ohio State. I think that would be pretty good. Just like the best players that went to those schools play each other.

Now that would be the gimmick of gimmicks. Come to think of it, an all Miami team or an all FSU team would be very sick to put together for an exhibition apart from Um and tOSU as well.

kalbears13
02-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Now that would be the gimmick of gimmicks. Come to think of it, an all Miami team or an all FSU team would be very sick to put together for an exhibition apart from Um and tOSU as well.

I actually think a lot of people would watch that because you would get the college football fans and pro football fans. They would have their pro helmets and the college jersey and pants. Most of the time they could all run their college playbook so that part wouldn't be that hard. The worst part would be injuries. I think it should take the place of the probowl.

Billingsley26
02-20-2008, 12:33 AM
not Willie Parker

Thats why my boy TimDris said "almost". You must have been in such a hurry to rag on him that you didnt read. Jeez, it help sometimes you know.

LonghornsLegend
02-20-2008, 01:42 AM
Oh please, I doubt this even happens....NFL players have a different type of strength, and speed...What happens when/if they hurt a college guy seriously who had plans for the nfl? I doubt guys can play at half speed out there in full pads with contact, and no matter if a guy has pro potential or not, that makes no difference to guys in the league already...

Reggie Bush and Lendale would of been shut down, as Bush is still learning to run against nfl players, Jarrett would of been doing what he's doing today, and Leinart wouldnt be able to move once some pressure got on him...Nobody would match up really well.