PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency?

thebow305
02-20-2008, 11:07 PM
What big name players, if any, do you see our Miami Dolphins signing when the FA Period begins on the 29th?

Flozell Adams? (If he's not tagged)

Ken Hamlin?

Asante Samuel?

Alan Faneca?

Or any others that you guys can think of? I feel like we should at least sign one of these guys, because we have too many needs on this team to address with just the draft. We need to add a couple starters in FA, IMO, then a few more in the draft to be competitive.

So what do you guys think!?

thebow305
02-20-2008, 11:09 PM
If we could just get Adams before the draft I would be extremely happy because that would already fill a major need fo us so we could afford to look elsewhere in the draft.

Joeyjr09
02-21-2008, 06:06 PM
FA is what you used to find guys that can put you over the top. They way NE did with Thomas, Moss and Welker last season.

It is not a method you wanna used to build your team. Joey Porter is a perfect example of what happens when back teams spend alot of money on a FA when they aren't even close to competing.

We just cleared out alot of cap money with various cuts, no need to blow it all on a player or two and put ourselves in cap hell. Remember, it's gonna cost alot to sign the number 1 overall pick.

Sign young mid-level guys to build up your depth and build thru the draft. Then in two years once you've build up the depth and talent and have young guys stepping up, you'll have the extra cap space to go sign a big name FA or two to get you to the next level.

The last thing this team needs is to be blowing a big chunk of our cap on a guy like Adams that will be in serious decline by the time we are ready to compete.

Here are the type of players I think we need to be looking at, along with ages and my choice for the top guy I'd want at end spot:

WR- Terrence Copper (25), DJ Hackett (26), Devery Henderson (25), Keary Colbert (25).

My Choice: Devery Henderson

TE- Ben Troupe (25), Bo Scaife (27)

My Choice: Ben Troupe

OL: Stacey Andrews (26), Nat Dorsey (24), Daniel Loper (26), Evan Mathis (26), Jake Scott (24), Justin Smiley (26), Tyson Clabo

My Choice: Stacey Andrews (OT), Jake Scott (OG)

DL- Jeremey Mincey (24), Antwan Odom (26), Randy Starks (24), Darrion Scott (26), Montavious Stanley (26)

My Choice: Jeremey Mincey (DE/OLB), Randy Starks (DT/DE)

LB- Calvin Pace (27), Victor Hobson (27), Jon Altson (24)

My Choice: Victor Hobson

DBs- Atari Bigby (26), C.C. Brown (24), Dominque Foxworth (24), Reynaldo Hill (26), Nate Salley (24), Karl Paymah (25)

My Choice: Karl Paymah (CB), C.C. Brown (DS)

Those are the type of options I think we need to be looking at. Not dumping millions on millions for a Flozell Adams, Max Starks or Asante Samuel.

Quagmire
02-21-2008, 07:15 PM
What big name players, if any, do you see our Miami Dolphins signing when the FA Period begins on the 29th?

Flozell Adams? (If he's not tagged)

Ken Hamlin?

Asante Samuel?

Alan Faneca?

Or any others that you guys can think of? I feel like we should at least sign one of these guys, because we have too many needs on this team to address with just the draft. We need to add a couple starters in FA, IMO, then a few more in the draft to be competitive.

So what do you guys think!?

Bow,

I happen to agree with you on Adams. I know he is up in age, but they need to stabilize the LT for whoever is playing QB. That is not to say they will not need to draft one in the next couple of yrs to develop as his replacement. I think they may sign 2 or 3 OL (including Adams) so they can give their QB an honest shot to win... Maybe not Faneca. Unfortunately, Andrews was franchised in Cincinnati.

Another guy on the other side of the ball that fits them is Gibril Wilson, the S from the Giants. He is a solid playmaker and I think he could be a stabilizer and still be there when they get good. Also, would not mind a young player or two in the front seven. (I was very disappointed that Williams was franchised in GB) Maybe a Randy Starks or Isaac Sopoaga on the DL..

Just one week away. Can't wait...

Quagmire
02-21-2008, 07:20 PM
FA is what you used to find guys that can put you over the top. They way NE did with Thomas, Moss and Welker last season.

It is not a method you wanna used to build your team. Joey Porter is a perfect example of what happens when back teams spend alot of money on a FA when they aren't even close to competing.

We just cleared out alot of cap money with various cuts, no need to blow it all on a player or two and put ourselves in cap hell. Remember, it's gonna cost alot to sign the number 1 overall pick.

Sign young mid-level guys to build up your depth and build thru the draft. Then in two years once you've build up the depth and talent and have young guys stepping up, you'll have the extra cap space to go sign a big name FA or two to get you to the next level.

The last thing this team needs is to be blowing a big chunk of our cap on a guy like Adams that will be in serious decline by the time we are ready to compete.

Those are the type of options I think we need to be looking at. Not dumping millions on millions for a Flozell Adams, Max Starks or Asante Samuel.

Joey,

While I agree with your basic premise that the focus of their free agent shopping should be on young developing players, I disagree about Adams. While he may be on his downside, he was coached by this staff before and knows what they expect. He is also much better then anything they have and would give their QB (whoever it is) a fighting chance back in the pocket. I really think they are going to add multiple veteran OL to do this. You mentioned Andrews. I agree he would have been a great piece for the right side of the OL, but he franchised by the Bengals, so he is out. I say you sign Flozell and then draft your LT of the future in the next 2 yrs so you have his replacement in house.....

Joeyjr09
02-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Joey,

While I agree with your basic premise that the focus of their free agent shopping should be on young developing players, I disagree about Adams. While he may be on his downside, he was coached by this staff before and knows what they expect. He is also much better then anything they have and would give their QB (whoever it is) a fighting chance back in the pocket. I really think they are going to add multiple veteran OL to do this. You mentioned Andrews. I agree he would have been a great piece for the right side of the OL, but he franchised by the Bengals, so he is out. I say you sign Flozell and then draft your LT of the future in the next 2 yrs so you have his replacement in house.....

I think it all depends on what Adams is willing to sign for. With the type of money OL have been making the last few years, I wouldn't even touch him. I mean hell even if he got Derrick Dockery type money I'd have a hard time swallowing that. It's just too much for a guy his age that is gonna be on the major downside by the time we are competetive.

With that said, If he signs a reasonable 3 year deal with managable money then I'm all for it. I just don't like the idea of paying him the insane going rate for OL and having him blow up in our face like Joey Porter did. We have too many holes to allow that to happen and it will set us back.

I'm all for reasonable signings that will build our depth. I would love to come away from this offseason with Jake Scott and Justin Smiley. They will lock down the 2 OG spots leaving Satele at C and Carey at RT and we can use on of our top picks on a LT. (BTW, the more and more I hear about Jake Long, the more I like him. I don't know if he will be our pick as I still think we are leaning Chris Long but I wouldn't be upset with Jake Long)

If I had to think of an ideal situation as of now, here is what I can come up with off the top of my head.

Sign Justin Smiley, Jake Scott, Karl Paymah, Randy Starks and Devery Henderson to reasonable and fair contracts. Shouldn't hit the bank too hard and will be valueable pieces for now and the future. Hopefully we will find a way to get Bobby Carpenter so I'll throw him in as well. Maybe trade Travis Daniels for him as they are looking for CB help?

In the draft go:

1- Jake Long, OT
2a- Limas Sweed, WR
2b- Patrick Lee, CB
3-Ahtyba Rubin, NT
4-Kendal Langford, DE
6-Roderick Johnson, ILB
7- Kyle Wright, QB

The draft finishes off your OL, adds a complimentary playmaking WR to next to Ginn. And adds fresh young talent on the defensive front 7 as well as a CB and a QB to work in with Beck as he is the only QB on the roster right now. (I know alot of people are down on Wright but he has some of the best physical tools in the draft so he's worth a gamble that low to see if he turns it around with a solid coach and no OC turnover every year)

The lineup would look something like this:

QB: Beck, Wright
RB: Brown, Chatman, Booker
FB: Mauia
WR: Ginn, Henderson, Sweed, Hagan, Camarillo
TE: Martin, Peelle
LT: Long
LG: Scott, Mormino
C: Satele
RG: Smiley
RT: Carey

DE: Roth, Langford
NT: Rubin, Starks, Soliai
DE: Holliday, Rod Wright
OLB: JT, Abe Wright
ILB: Crowder, Miles
ILB: Carpenter, Johnson
OLB: Porter, Moses
CB: Allen, Lehan
CB: Lee, Paymah, Goodman
FS: Bell, Hill
SS: Allen, Worrell

As you can see, we would still have some immediate concerns at DB, the backup OL and LB. However the starting OL has the makings of a very good unit, the WR core is well rounded and the DL has very solid building blocks in place with Rubin, Roth, Langford, Soliai, Starks and Rod Wright.

Next year's draft they will look towards DBs, LBs and top notch DE so that Roth can get moved into a backup role where he is better off.

This team isn't gonna get build overnight so the best thing is to single out areas you wanna address right now, take care of them and then address the others next season.

Above, I hit on the OL, DL, and WRs with the idea that the following year I'll look at LB, DB and TE.

We need to take baby steps. Crawl before we can walk. Signing Flozell Adams for max money would be trying to run at this point and we'd likely end up tripping all over ourselves.

Quagmire
02-21-2008, 09:06 PM
I think it all depends on what Adams is willing to sign for. With the type of money OL have been making the last few years, I wouldn't even touch him. I mean hell even if he got Derrick Dockery type money I'd have a hard time swallowing that. It's just too much for a guy his age that is gonna be on the major downside by the time we are competetive.

With that said, If he signs a reasonable 3 year deal with managable money then I'm all for it. I just don't like the idea of paying him the insane going rate for OL and having him blow up in our face like Joey Porter did. We have too many holes to allow that to happen and it will set us back.

I'm all for reasonable signings that will build our depth. I would love to come away from this offseason with Jake Scott and Justin Smiley. They will lock down the 2 OG spots leaving Satele at C and Carey at RT and we can use on of our top picks on a LT. (BTW, the more and more I hear about Jake Long, the more I like him. I don't know if he will be our pick as I still think we are leaning Chris Long but I wouldn't be upset with Jake Long)

If I had to think of an ideal situation as of now, here is what I can come up with off the top of my head.

Sign Justin Smiley, Jake Scott, Karl Paymah, Randy Starks and Devery Henderson to reasonable and fair contracts. Shouldn't hit the bank too hard and will be valueable pieces for now and the future. Hopefully we will find a way to get Bobby Carpenter so I'll throw him in as well. Maybe trade Travis Daniels for him as they are looking for CB help?

In the draft go:

1- Jake Long, OT
2a- Limas Sweed, WR
2b- Patrick Lee, CB
3-Ahtyba Rubin, NT
4-Kendal Langford, DE
6-Roderick Johnson, ILB
7- Kyle Wright, QB

The draft finishes off your OL, adds a complimentary playmaking WR to next to Ginn. And adds fresh young talent on the defensive front 7 as well as a CB and a QB to work in with Beck as he is the only QB on the roster right now. (I know alot of people are down on Wright but he has some of the best physical tools in the draft so he's worth a gamble that low to see if he turns it around with a solid coach and no OC turnover every year)

The lineup would look something like this:

QB: Beck, Wright
RB: Brown, Chatman, Booker
FB: Mauia
WR: Ginn, Henderson, Sweed, Hagan, Camarillo
TE: Martin, Peelle
LT: Long
LG: Scott, Mormino
C: Satele
RG: Smiley
RT: Carey

DE: Roth, Langford
NT: Rubin, Starks, Soliai
DE: Holliday, Rod Wright
OLB: JT, Abe Wright
ILB: Crowder, Miles
ILB: Carpenter, Johnson
OLB: Porter, Moses
CB: Allen, Lehan
CB: Lee, Paymah, Goodman
FS: Bell, Hill
SS: Allen, Worrell

As you can see, we would still have some immediate concerns at DB, the backup OL and LB. However the starting OL has the makings of a very good unit, the WR core is well rounded and the DL has very solid building blocks in place with Rubin, Roth, Langford, Soliai, Starks and Rod Wright.

Next year's draft they will look towards DBs, LBs and top notch DE so that Roth can get moved into a backup role where he is better off.

This team isn't gonna get build overnight so the best thing is to single out areas you wanna address right now, take care of them and then address the others next season.

Above, I hit on the OL, DL, and WRs with the idea that the following year I'll look at LB, DB and TE.

We need to take baby steps. Crawl before we can walk. Signing Flozell Adams for max money would be trying to run at this point and we'd likely end up tripping all over ourselves.

Joey,

Chances are that Flozell is going to get a Dockery sized contract. To be honest, I still do it. It is important to stabilize that position at any cost. Still need to draft a future replacement, but that can be next yr.

A couple of the guys you have mentioned may be young, but have been very ineffective. Henderson has been a complete bust in NO and is a guy with no hands.. Smiley (who I thought very highly of coming out of college) has been a disappointment. Jake Scott plays in an offense that is more pass than run and I honestly don't think he fits our new physical philosophy.. For a cheap price, I take a chance on Smiley....

As for some of the defensive players, Starks would be a nice fit because of his size and his youth. Paymah may be young, but he could not get on the field much in Denver and they immediately traded for Bly after Darrent Williams passed away, so I don't see him as anything more than a nickel-type player. Carpenter would cost us a draft choice, but would fit nicely at ILB. Not a fan of giving up picks though.

Finally, why would you still keep JT like you did on your projections? If you are saying not to sign old players, why not trade a guy who can get you a pick to develop? No way do I keep JT if I get any kind of decent offer.

On the draft, don't mean to disagree again, but a definite no to your first 2 picks. Long is a RT. He would really have to step up to play LT in the NFL and I don't see it. Gholston kicked his ass last yr when they played.. Sweed is bit overrated as far as I am concerned. I think if he was there at the end of round 2 or top of round 3, it might be worth a shot. I think Hardy is a much better player at the WR position if you are going for the physical, big WR though I think Devin Thomas and Manningham will be the best WR's in this draft

I think if they stay at #1, the pick will be Ryan, C. Long or Gholston (my preference, but the longshot). C. Long is the safe pick and Ryan is the QB in case they feel Beck is not the guy. Hopefully the combine and workouts clear this up a bit.

Plenty of time to debate this. Lets hope they make some good moves to start the turnaround........

Quagmire
02-21-2008, 09:18 PM
We need to take baby steps. Crawl before we can walk. Signing Flozell Adams for max money would be trying to run at this point and we'd likely end up tripping all over ourselves.[/QUOTE]

Joey,

One more thing, I think there is good depth at OT in this draft and a guy like Duane Brown from VA tech may fit in round 4 as a guy who could develop into a starter in a yr or 2 to replace Flozell, if signed... Maybe even a Heath Benedict, though I think he may be more of a RT....

draftguru151
02-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Flozell Adams is the only "major" signing I'd think I'd like. And hopefully it would only be as a stop gap, allow us to move Carey back to RT, groom a LT behind Adams or take one when he is gone in a few years.

thebow305
02-22-2008, 02:03 AM

Here are the type of players I think we need to be looking at, along with ages and my choice for the top guy I'd want at end spot:

WR- Terrence Copper (25), DJ Hackett (26), Devery Henderson (25), Keary Colbert (25).

My Choice: Devery Henderson

TE- Ben Troupe (25), Bo Scaife (27)

My Choice: Ben Troupe

OL: Stacey Andrews (26), Nat Dorsey (24), Daniel Loper (26), Evan Mathis (26), Jake Scott (24), Justin Smiley (26), Tyson Clabo

My Choice: Stacey Andrews (OT), Jake Scott (OG)

DL- Jeremey Mincey (24), Antwan Odom (26), Randy Starks (24), Darrion Scott (26), Montavious Stanley (26)

My Choice: Jeremey Mincey (DE/OLB), Randy Starks (DT/DE)

LB- Calvin Pace (27), Victor Hobson (27), Jon Altson (24)

My Choice: Victor Hobson

DBs- Atari Bigby (26), C.C. Brown (24), Dominque Foxworth (24), Reynaldo Hill (26), Nate Salley (24), Karl Paymah (25)

My Choice: Karl Paymah (CB), C.C. Brown (DS)

Ok... I'm not saying go out and sign every big name player and blow all our money that way. Just sign one or 2 key players that could start. we have so many holes on our team that won't be all filled by the draft and you have to realize that. we need to accomodate some of those spots through free agency so we are free to use the picks somewhere else. My one choice is Flozell Adams just because it would solve our offensive tackle woes for now and would free us to go defense for a majority of the draft which is what our priority really needs to be in the first place. but your approach is all wrong, spend a whole lot of money on a bunch of mediocre journeymen. guys that will go from team to team and never be "good enough," just as stop gap players, we don't need those players, they are a waste, we've seen it from our organization the last couple of years. We always settle for the guys that are a notch below because we can get them for a discounted or cheaper price. AND IT NEVER WORKS OUT!!!

Damn i'm glad you're not running the team!

Just sign Flozell Adams, and maybe Justin Smiley at Guard, or someone like Copper as a slot reciever, or even bring back Surtain if he is released and have him teach the younger guys and start for a year or two, because he is still a solid corner. just 2 or 3 guys at the most, then draft like this:

1) Vernon Gholston, OLB, Ohio State
2a) John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame
2b) Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware
3) Justin King, CB, Penn State
4) Marcus Harrison, NT, Arkansas
6) J Leman, ILB, Illinois
7) Amarri Jackson, WR, South Florida

That would be a BIG step in the right direction and towards making us a contender in the future.

bearsfan_51
02-22-2008, 02:06 AM
The Dolphins should use their cap room and buy the Marlins. I think it's bigger than their whole payroll.

bearsfan_51
02-22-2008, 02:07 AM
On a serious note, I'm not sure why you guys want to sign Scott or Smiley. Just resign Hadnot. I honestly think he's better than the other two anyway.

Joeyjr09
02-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Damn i'm glad you're not running the team!

This is exactly why me and you can't agree or have any normal conversations. It's too much to ask for you to simply post a reply and have a solid discussion. Any post you make that you don't agree with has to have some sly remark to put the other guy down for no reason. It's extremely frustrating. Grow up man.

thebow305
02-23-2008, 01:59 AM
This is exactly why me and you can't agree or have any normal conversations. It's too much to ask for you to simply post a reply and have a solid discussion. Any post you make that you don't agree with has to have some sly remark to put the other guy down for no reason. It's extremely frustrating. Grow up man.

What you proposed was just a downright dumb idea, and you sell us short all the time, that's why I put you down. You want what's ok for this team. I want what's best. If you were running the team we would NEVER go over .500 because you would never take a big leap, you would be conservative 100% of the time and just hope everything plays itself out. You gotta go out there and take a chance sometimes man and be optimistic for once. I just absolutely can't stand your pessimistic approach to everything, it's one thing to be realistic and it's quite another to never expect us to do anything right. Grow up??? Are you serious??? That's a joke. Cry me a friggin river... we're talkin football here bro, go to Dr. Phil if you need someone's shoulder to cry on.