PDA

View Full Version : One-round with explanations

Matthew Jones
02-21-2008, 05:28 AM
1. Miami Dolphins - QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

Bill Parcells remade the Patriots with Drew Bledsoe at #1 overall and I'm not sure I buy them drafting Chris Long if they still have Taylor and Porter on roster.

2. St. Louis Rams - DE Chris Long, Virginia

Adam Carriker is already solid inside at defensive tackle and although it's tempting to add another, Long is the kind of player Haslett would love to have.

3. Oakland Raiders - DT Glenn Dorsey, Louisiana St.

Despite Ellis' strong play at the Senior Bowl and the Southern Cal connection there, I see Dorsey as the more disruptive, better overall prospect.

4. Atlanta Falcons - DT Sedrick Ellis, Southern Cal

Not sure I could see Darren McFadden here, so I'll go with Ellis as a player they can build their entire defense around now that they lack depth there.

5. Kansas City Chiefs - OT Jake Long, Michigan

It's between Long and Clady, but Long is the better overall prospect in my opinion, a franchise right tackle and a very dominating run blocker.

6. New York Jets - RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas

Between McFadden and Gholston here, but I think the Jets go with someone who can compliment Thomas Jones and maybe take over after a few years.

7. New England Patriots - CB Aqib Talib, Kansas

I'm fairly sure Talib runs extremely well at the combine and justifies going before Gholston and Clady with an excellent time in the forty yard-dash.

8. Baltimore Ravens - OLB Vernon Gholston, Ohio St.

It's close here between Gholston and Clady, but even though Suggs is back for this year, there's still a chance he doesn't get signed long-term.

9. Cincinnati Bengals - DE Derrick Harvey, Florida

Tough call between Harvey and Rivers, but I'm going Harvey because he's got some rare pass-rush moves and Justin Smith looks to be leaving this year.

10. New Orleans Saints - LB Keith Rivers, Southern Cal

The Saints have had a deficiency at linebacker for a few years now, and thus far in the scouting process Keith Rivers is well ahead of all the others.

11. Buffalo Bills - CB Mike Jenkins, South Florida

Every year, it seems like Buffalo ends up drafting one player who seems to be a bit of a reach, and Jenkins is one of the most physical guys in the draft.

12. Denver Broncos - OT Ryan Clady, Boise St.

I considered Kenny Phillips and Rashard Mendenhall here, but although Denver doesn't draft OL early very often, Clady is a perfect fit and the need's there.

13. Carolina Panthers - OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt

It seems like Carolina might be bringing back both of their offensive tackles, but until that happens I will continue to give them a tackle in the first.

14. Chicago Bears - QB Chad Henne, Michigan

The Bears desperately need both a quarterback and tackle, but in the second round, they might not be able to find a quarterback available with value.

15. Detroit Lions - OT Jeff Otah, Pittsbugh

Although the Lions desperately need some kind of secondary, they don't have great value here with zone corners and Otah can keep people off the QB.

16. Arizona Cardinals - RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

I was close to giving them someone like Mike Jenkins or Leodis McKelvin, but I just see Stewart as someone who will work out well in Indy and be a steal.

17. Minnesota Vikings - DE Phillip Merling, Clemson

DeSean Jackson is available here, but with the news involving Troy Williamson and Kenechi Udeze along with Childress' history, I think end is more likely.

18. Houston Texans - RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

Again, I considered Jenkins, McKelvin, Phillips for a long time, but Mendenhall is a total beast and it's clear that Ahman Green isn't the future at RB.

19. Philadelphia Eagles - CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy

The Eagles are generally a team that drafts along the lines, but I think McKelvin would be a nice fit here as an eventual replacement for Sheppard.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - WR DeSean Jackson, California

I could see this happening because of Tampa Bay's success with Joey Galloway as a deep threat combined with their lack of success with bigger guys.

21. Washington Redskins - DT Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina

Balmer moves up a few spots because it seems like I've underestimated his value, he brings a strong presence to DT, where there aren't many top guys.

22. Dallas Cowboys - FS Kenny Phillips, Miami (FL)

Phillips falls a bit amidst concerns that he is potentially not even the best safety in the draft, Dallas snatches him up to compliment Roy Williams.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers - OG Branden Albert, Virginia

Albert is a potential left tackle in the league with excellent athleticism, but in this case he will stay inside at guard to replace Alan Faneca.

24. Tennessee Titans - WR Limas Sweed, Texas

Vince Young gets back one of the reasons he was such an efficient passer in college compared to such an inefficient one in the NFL thus far.

25. Seattle Seahawks - RB Ray Rice, Rutgers

I've hailed Rice as a first-round talent for a long time now, and this is his biggest chance to land there, especially if he runs a 4.4 or so.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars - DE Calais Campbell, Miami (FL)

Campbell has dropped a bit, but could realistically go top-10 with some impressive workouts, so he is actually a very nice value at this point.

27. San Diego Chargers - OT Carl Nicks, Nebraska

Carl Nicks gets the edge over Gosder Cherilus here because he's a more well-rounded, high-ceiling player and because he has left tackle potential.

28. Dallas Cowboys - CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee St.

Wow, talk about someone falling through the cracks. Cromartie is an easy pick here because he's somehow slipped from being a top-15 talent.

29. San Francisco 49ers - WR Mario Manningham, Michigan

Close call here between Brian Brohm and Mario Manningham, but although I'm not high on Mario, I think Mike Martz and Manningham could save Smith.

30. Green Bay Packers - CB Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech

The most physical corner in the draft finds his way into the first round on a team that prides themselves on being very physical and can take a risk.

31. New England Patriots - pick forfeited

This pick would have been ILB Dan Connor, Penn St. I'm still pissed off that the Patriots would do something so stupid with such a heavy cost.

32. New York Giants - WR Devin Thomas, Michigan St.

Tough call between Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas, but I just see Thomas as someone with some pretty rare deep speed and Kelly as overrated.

regoob2
02-21-2008, 07:39 AM
YES I was hoping we'd pick up our 3rd string qb in the first thanks.

EDIT: I just read the explanation. Why are you concerned with not getting good value in round 2 when we just took Chad Henne in round 1. That doesn't make a lot of sense. The Bears said they would be happy with the QBs they have which I don't totally believe but come on now.

21ST
02-21-2008, 07:41 AM
Pretty good redskins pick

Matthew Jones
02-21-2008, 07:51 AM

No problem. Maybe he'll get trashed more or grow a cooler beard than Kyle Orton or make even more stupid decisions than Rex Grossman! *thumbs up*

MURPHMAN
02-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Excellent Panthers pick. Wharton should move to guard and Williams is perfect for the Panther's left side. Clady, Williams or trade down.

Bills2083
02-21-2008, 08:01 AM
The cover-2 doesnt call for drafting a CB in round 1, but I wouldnt be upset.

hugegmenfan
02-21-2008, 08:05 AM
not a chance devin harris is better than malcolm kelly by the way for the giants

LonghornsLegend
02-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Thank God! Great Dallas mock, Im tired of people having us pass up Phillips at 22, he's the best safety in the draft and our weakest position probably, Roy is gone here pretty soon and we need that ballhawk in our secondary...Although I slightly disagree with the reasoning, more likely is hamlin moves to SS and let Phillips complement him, Roy is as good as gone and this makes the transition easier...Were going to need a guy back there eventually might as well take him now, plus thats the benefit of having an extra 1st rd pick, you can pick bpa or a guy you didnt think you would have a chance to land.

Great pick at 28, once again, secondary was our biggest weakness last year, with this first rd were already that much better on defense, we can go rb in the 2nd like chris johnson or jamaal charles, wr is not that important we need to address it in the 1st...

Best Dallas mock ive seen, thanx for not just giving us Felix Jones everytime, this scenario is better.

fenikz
02-21-2008, 08:22 AM
No way do the Cardinals pass up McKlevin for a RB, he is not only the BPA but also fills a need plus this draft is loaded with RB's we can get a quality guy who can take over for Edge in the 2nd or 3rd

Buttered toast sonic
02-21-2008, 08:51 AM
the eagles passing up Kenny Phillips AND Desean Jackson when they're both avaliable? don't see that happening

Crickett
02-21-2008, 08:55 AM
1. Miami Dolphins - QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

Bill Parcells remade the Patriots with Drew Bledsoe at #1 overall and I'm not sure I buy them drafting Chris Long if they still have Taylor and Porter on roster.

The Patriots didn't draft a QB the year before Bledsoe in the top 40.

6. New York Jets - RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas

Between McFadden and Gholston here, but I think the Jets go with someone who can compliment Thomas Jones and maybe take over after a few years.

How'd that work out for the last team that wanted to compliment Thomas Jones and maybe take over after a few years by taking a RB this early? I could see the Jets taking McFadden, but only if nobody who actually fills a need (like Gholston) is available.

As for the AD comparisons, give the Jets the best LG in the NFL and I'd be thrilled if they drafted McFadden.

19. Philadelphia Eagles - CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy

The Eagles are generally a team that drafts along the lines, but I think McKelvin would be a nice fit here as an eventual replacement for Sheppard.

This assumes that the Eagles are looking to unload Sheppard. Remember, Lito's only 26.

29. San Francisco 49ers - WR Mario Manningham, Michigan

Close call here between Brian Brohm and Mario Manningham, but although I'm not high on Mario, I think Mike Martz and Manningham could save Smith.

Choosing between giving up on the former first overall pick and a second receiver who has difficulty hauling in catches. Tough call. No third options available?

32. New York Giants - WR Devin Thomas, Michigan St.

Tough call between Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas, but I just see Thomas as someone with some pretty rare deep speed and Kelly as overrated.

Tell me again why with
Plaxico Burress
Armani Toomer
Steve Smith
Santana Moss' brother
David Tyree
Jeremy Shockey
Kevin Boss
Ahmad Bradshaw
Brandon Jacobs
Derrick Ward (maybe)
Reuben Droughns

that the Giants need another offensive weapon in the first round?

DiG
02-21-2008, 08:59 AM
im ok with balmer though i think itd be hard to pass on DRC.

Matthew Jones
02-21-2008, 09:39 AM
not a chance devin harris is better than malcolm kelly by the way for the giants

You'd be surprised. OU's coaches projected Kelly as a fourth-rounder, the draft board said second, and most insiders think he needed to run well at the combine to make it to the second round, but he is now "injured", and won't run.

Matthew Jones
02-21-2008, 09:42 AM
No way do the Cardinals pass up McKlevin for a RB, he is not only the BPA but also fills a need plus this draft is loaded with RB's we can get a quality guy who can take over for Edge in the 2nd or 3rd

I'd say CB depth is better than RB depth and there's no way McKelvin is better than Jonathan Stewart.

T-RICH49
02-21-2008, 12:50 PM
LOVE KC's pick

scalma
02-21-2008, 01:21 PM
chargers dont need a tackle...they are pretty much set with mcneill and clary. if they need anything on the OL its guard where mike goff is getting up in years and no one knows if olivea can play there

Vikes99ej
02-21-2008, 01:27 PM
We WILL NOT pass on Kenny Phillips for a DE that doesn't even fit our system.

Crickett
02-21-2008, 01:30 PM
We WILL NOT pass on Kenny Phillips for a DE that doesn't even fit our system.

But Dwight Smith was cut and Mike Doss is a free agent.

:confused:

BeerBaron
02-21-2008, 01:36 PM

EDIT: I just read the explanation. Why are you concerned with not getting good value in round 2 when we just took Chad Henne in round 1. That doesn't make a lot of sense. The Bears said they would be happy with the QBs they have which I don't totally believe but come on now.

i agree wholeheartedly

TERRIBLE bears pick. F triple minus

G-Men88
02-21-2008, 01:58 PM
For the 100th time; If Reggie Smith is available at 32 he will be a Giant. No if ands or buts about it.

Addict
02-21-2008, 02:42 PM
For the 100th time; If Reggie Smith is available at 32 he will be a Giant. No if ands or buts about it.

you can tell them as often as you want, they'll just keep doing the same things, I've told them a million times CB in the first doesn't make sense considering the scheme we play, and still...

thebow305
02-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Bad Phins pick. It will be either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston, get Matt Ryan out of your head already.

Our front office is more focussed on Joe Flacco than Matt Ryan anyway.

defensiveback23
02-21-2008, 08:34 PM
I think the Chargers would go with Cromartie or Smith but I like the Nicks fit.