PDA

View Full Version : Wicket's first mock

wicket
02-21-2008, 09:31 AM
1. Miami Dolphins Chris Long DE Virginia
Basically any impact player is an improvement in this squad. However I think they go with the guy who can make the biggest impact the quickest just to prevent the disgrace they suffered nearly weakly this season. The best place to do this is to add a nice pro-quality run-stopper who can also produce a bit of pressure at times. Perhaps their offence could also do a bit more if theyíd get the ball a bit more and on better field positions, wouldnít that be nice.

2. St. Louis Rams Jake Long OT Michigan
Someone who could make a couple of holes for Jackson to run trough, sounds sweet doesnít it. I think they would go with either Long that remains at this moment in the draft and if Miami would go with Dorsey or even Ryan, Gholston or McFadden, theyíd have a though time deciding between the two of them, however the decision is made for them and they are to improve their offensive line drastically IMO.

3.* Atlanta Falcons/ Oakland Raiders
4.** Oakland Raiders/ Atlanta Falcons/ Kansas City Chiefs
5.** Kansas City Chiefs/ Atlanta Falcons
Since I donít really know how the whole coin flip business works and I donít think theyíll have simular targets I do them all at once.

Atlanta Falcons Matt Ryan QB Boston CollegeA no-brainer. Even with the appeal of getting a high profile crowd-pleaser as McFadden as so many want to outshine the whole Vick-incident itís just not the way to go. Without a QB Atlanta could turn out and have an even worse season than they did this season. Since they arenít going to swing around and win within the season Ryan will have the ideal preparation time to become the best QB he could be by starting in his rookie-year.

Oakland Raiders Glenn Dorsey DT LSUThe appeal of combining McFadden with Russel must be tempting, however I think you better just give Russel his former team-mate back. With Dorsey on the other side of the ball you might just create enough pressure to give Russel plenty of the ball to develop the Raiders into a seriously contending squad.

Seattle Seahawks <-- KC Chiefs Darren McFadden Arkansas
With Jake Long, their prime target gone there is not much on the board to tempt the Chiefs, however the biggest price in the draft is still up for grabs. I think a bunch of teams are wanting to trade up here, however the decline of Alexander on the one hand and the possibility of Alexander helping to teach McFadden the traits of the job on the other just sounds to tempting to pass.

6. New York Jets Sedrick Ellis DT USC
Perhaps an even brighter prospect than Dorsey and on the position the jets need attention the most. I think there is barely a pick in the whole draft as set as Ellis going to the Jets. Heíd be a huge improvement in a team that needs plenty of it.

7. N E Patriots (f/SF49ers) Vernon Gholston DE/OLB Ohio State
With team-mate Laurinaitis deciding not to declare to a lot of peoples surprise the most natural fit to the Pats is gone. However Gholston would make an excellent OLB in a 3-4 scheme and he would help rejuvenate the Line backing set that was just getting to old.

8. Baltimore Ravens Brian Brohm QB Louisville
McNair is injured more often than entire NFL teams and Kyle Boller doesnít seem to be the answer. And although I really like Troy Smith and I do see him coming a long way the Ravens coaching-staff and the rest of the world donít, so since I donít make the Ravens line-up they need a QB and the best one left is Brohm. He probably isnít really worth a number 8 pick, however if you need a QB you need a QB and all other thoughts are trivial.

9. Cincinnati Bengals Kentwan Balmer DT North Carolina
My big guess in the draft and I know Iím gonna get a ton of comment on it however the bengals nead a DT really really bad, Balmer impressed me massively the last time I saw him play, I think heíll get to the combine with a nice addition of about 20 pounds of muscle and heís got a pro frame that is able to handle the extra bulk he must put on. That and the sheer size of him makes me tempted to let him jump way ahead of everybody else.

10. New Orleans Saints Leodis McKelvin CB Troy
Since both Dorsey and Ellis will be way gone and the MLB position can be provided for later there is only one option here and although I donít really like it as a Saints-fan it just has to be a CB (Iíd really like NO going for Rivers personally but it ainít gonna happen). McKelvin is the best prospect in the draft since Jenkings decided not to declare and there is no reason(I can think of) to think he wouldnít be a proper fit.

11. Buffalo Bills DeSean Jackson WR California
With both a starting rookie QB and RB this year it might be the time to look ahead and cement your chances in a couple of years. There is nog better way to do that in my opinion than to give Trent Edwards a nice deep threat. I might see them go with Derrick Harvey though because they might want a bigger WR due to lack of size in their current set of receivers.

12. Denver Broncos Kenny Phillips S Miami (fl)
I know itís way early to draft a safety however Phillips might just be worth the call. He fills an awful void and with al the quality DTís gone I just might see them go for it, certainly taking into account the depth at OT in this draft.

13. Carolina Panthers Ryan Clady OT Boise State
In my opinion this might be one of the easiest matches in the whole draft. They are never going to resign both Gross and Wharton so they need a new one. Clady is a nice powerhouse of a person who could do wonders for the QB-protection they so desperately gonna need.

14. Chicago Bears Jeff Otah OT Pittsburgh
They might be a bit bummed seeing Clady go the round before however they just really need an offensive line again and Otah seems to be a nice guy to start with. The temptation of drafting a QB has been wiped out of their minds since both Brohm and Ryan are gone and none of the rest of the QBís are really worth a round one pick imho.

15. Detroit Lions Mike Jenkins CB South Florida
Although they might want to do something about the QB-protection (Kitna is down on the ground so much he might wanna bring a pillow) however the secondary leaves even more to be desired. Jenkins is a proper physical CB who can make plays and boost the defensive backfield that probably needs more attention in the later rounds.

16. Arizona Cardinals Phillip Merling DE Clemson
For everything they need they probably Need a quality DE the most and they can barely believe their luck when they see Merling dropping down and thay are more then happy to finally get him of the board. Perfect fit for a 3-4 defensive scheme and a nice big physical guy.

17. Minnesota Vikings Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma
As everyone might have noticed the running game is quite ok in Minnesota however he was at his best when he had wide receivers also blocking well for him, able to capitalise for really big gains. With Kelly Minnesota not only has a proper go-to receiver they could really use, they also have the blocking downfield that might make next year a even better season for Peterson.

18. Houston Texans Aqib Talib CB Kansas
They might be frustrated that the broncos already took what is probably their main target, so they move on to an other big backfield prospect and find him in high flying Kansas. Might be a bit of a reach but the fit is perfect.

19. Philadelphia Eagles Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt
Although the only part of the Eagles I really like is their running game I would tend to upgrade the OT position first. Although a wide receiver might be tempting there is not that stud prospect that would validate a pick at this moment and the CB position is all but raided at this moment. Hence they go and spice up their offensive lines and hope itíll give Westbrook the protection he deserves.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Limas Sweed WR Texas
I know I just said the Eagles passed on a WR because of lack of quality on the board. However the Buccs just need a go to guy whilst the Eagles need a deep threat. A nice tall, quite pacey receiver might be just what Garcia needs to take this team to the next level.

21. Washington Redskins Calais Campbell DE Miami(fl)
They go with the freak. It might be a big gamble however if it works out and they manage to upgrade their backfield either in the free agency or in the coming rounds Campbell might bring enough presence to make them serious contenders.

Note: Keith Rivers is still on the board, someone might (have) be(en) tempted to pull the trigger and do a little trade here of there.

22. Dallas Cowboys (f/Cíland Browns) Jonathan Steward RB Oregon
With Jones gone and Barber not ready to carry the full load they need a nice pacey quicksilver upgrade at RB. They might go with either Steward of Mendenhall (who I like better) depending on how they perform in the combine.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers Branden Albert OG Virginia
The whole offensive line is falling apart in Pit and although he can take it itís just mean to leave big Ben totally unprotected. Albertís ability to move to tackle if necessary might make him an even better fit.

24. NY Giants <--Tennessee Titans Keith Rivers OLB USC
The Titans donít really like what they see on the board and figure that Manningham probably still is on the board if they do a little swap with NY and NY is al to eager to boost their Linebacker corps. Rivers on the other hand is bummed that he fell from a potential top 10 to 24th.

25. KC Chiefs <-- Seattle Seahawks Gosder Cherilus OT Boston College
They need a bunch of things but more than anything they need a proper offensive line and with Cherilus they have a nice addition to that gaping hole in their offence. They might also be tempted to draft a proper qb is there were any on the board.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars Quentin Groves DE AuburnHis speed but lack of size might just be the surprise to a very physical jaguars team that they need. They were probably hoping to get Campbell or even Merling perhaps however Groves is a seriously gifted player that can add a new dimension to their pass rushing.

27. San Diego Chargers Reggie Smith CB/S Oklahoma
A serious pro prospect in the whole backfield, the weakest part of a seriously talented Chargers bunch. I really like the fit here.

28. Dallas Cowboys Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB Tennessee State
A bit of a reach here perhaps but they need a cb more then they need a WR and theyíve already got their primary need of a running back so they take a little gamble that you have to take to become a championship team.

29. San Francisco 49ers (f/Indianapolis Colts) Devin Thomas WR Michigan stateTheir receivers are so mediocre that they could almost validate drafting only receivers this draft. Although people arenít convinced I still think Smith is the real deal if a bit injury prone. New management might bring back the confidence he needs to help take this team to the next level. However he needs kind of a steady target. A nice physical receivers always helps certainly for those outlet-passes.

30. Green Bay Packers Patrick Lee CB Auburn
Mainly a depth investment. The packers are just looking a quality team and it will be pretty hard to find a huge need in this team. They might also be tempted by Dan Connor. (no not John Goodman, a bloke who is really named Dan Connor)

31. New England Patriots - Forfeited as penalty for cheating

32. Tennessee Titans <-- New York Giants Mario Manningham/James Hardy/Early Doucet WRísIn my opinion it can be any of these three depending on which way they want to go. Each of these three have their pros (deep threat/ sheer size/ finesse) and cons (lack of physicality/ a bit slow/ injury prone) So I just couldnít choose between the three of them so I didnít.

Things I expect to happen in following rounds:
-The patriots taking a gamble on a high risk QB (f.i. Colt Brennan) to fill the gap is Brady gets injured. There current back-up is awful.
-The Cowboys drafting a second(probably fourth of fifth round) really quick RB to insure their one-two-punch for the following season
-Someone jumping up really quickly in the Second round to get Mendenhall or the Raiders getting him whit a huge fat smile on their face.
-Dennis Dixon being drafted as a cover for Vince Young.

Please be constructive in your criticism and donít drop stuff as donít like our pick, please mention your fav. Team or the team or player youíre referring to.

Matthew Jones
02-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Nice Patriots mock. Pretty good overall.

CLong4Heisman
02-21-2008, 10:12 AM
6. New York Jets Sedrick Ellis DT USC
Perhaps an even brighter prospect than Dorsey and on the position the jets need attention the most. I think there is barely a pick in the whole draft as set as Ellis going to the Jets. Heíd be a huge improvement in a team that needs plenty of it.

First, Ellis is not a good fit in the 3-4, Gholston would be so much better.
Second, He wouldn't be an improvement because we have a clone of him size wise in Dewayne Robertson.

fenikz
02-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Merling is not a good fit for our 3-4 scheme, we need a 4-3 pass rushing DE who can stand up and play OLB in the 3-4, besides WR our D-Line is the strongest part of our team, talent wise and depth wise

Grade: D-

Jonathan Stewart or DRC would be much better picks in this siutation

Bills2083
02-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Desean Jackson?
We have enough small/fast WRs.
We need a big, physical, red-zone type guy, because WE DONT HAVE ONE.

WR and LB are our top 2 needs, so I'd rather go with Keith Rivers there.

Addict
02-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Detroit's scheme does not require us to take a corner in the first round, a top linebacker or a running back would make more sense

Turtlepower
02-21-2008, 11:35 AM
I like the trade up for the Giants to take Rivers...

But how in the hell are the Seahawks able to trade that far up the draft?

Crickett
02-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Detroit's scheme does not require us to take a corner in the first round, a top linebacker or a running back would make more sense

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/64/10/23051064.jpg

No defensive scheme in the NFL allows for this.

Addict
02-21-2008, 11:39 AM
http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/64/10/23051064.jpg

No defensive scheme in the NFL allows for this.

hahaha nice picture, but since we run a cover 2-ish defense (or, it should be a cover two, but since we don't have any linebackers besides ernie it looks a little weird) the need for corners in the first is TINY

Cashmoney
02-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Why didnt you pick between one of the receivers for the titans? thats kind of the point of a mock draft.
And bills fans will rip you for giving them Desean jackson. They already have a speed threat in lee evans. They need a big possesion WR.

neko4
02-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Nice packers pick

vidae
02-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Curious as to what the Chiefs got for swapping first round picks?

I would not be upset with Gosder, just curious what we got for swapping (in your mock)

21ST
02-21-2008, 12:43 PM
decent redskins pick, CB is a bigger need though

T-RICH49
02-21-2008, 12:49 PM
I am not really a fan of Cherilus.I'd rather stay put and nab Ellis to be honest

sportsnerd23
02-21-2008, 02:09 PM
I would be unhappy if the eagles drafted Chris Williams, i think he is overrated.

thebow305
02-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Ok Phins pick.... rather have Gholston though.

hugegmenfan
02-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Amazing giants pick man- good job

iloxygenil
02-21-2008, 03:35 PM
The only no brainer of Ryan to ATL is that if you use your brain you wouldn't make that pick. Not with the players left on the board...he's the 4th best available player if you want to be nice...

BaLLiN
02-21-2008, 04:05 PM
good giants pick, but i want to see Kiwi get a better chance for WILL

Crazy_Chris
02-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Calais Campbell would be the pick for the Vikings in this situation.

Turtlepower
02-21-2008, 04:48 PM
good giants pick, but i want to see Kiwi get a better chance for WILL

Mitchell plays WILL.

Beans
02-21-2008, 05:27 PM
The Bucs need a deep threat. If Jackson's not there, go with Campbell.

wicket
02-21-2008, 05:32 PM
To respond to the question asked, I don't know what KC would get besides the round one pick, perhaps next years round one pick and either this or next years third.
To the question about me not picking a receiver for the titans, I've only seen them playing once this season not enough to make more than an educated guess but if you want my plain guess I'd think they'd go with manningham on acount of his bigger upside probably.
On Ryan going to Atlanta, a couple of you might not want is to happen but you just know it's gonna happen, it's no good drafting purely on account of quality and the falcons just realy need a franchise qb and a new team leader and although I do agree that purely on quality ryan is barely a top 10 pick the need just outweights the inferior quality.

proshoota25
02-21-2008, 07:44 PM
dude your mock is really confusing lol.. nice pats pick

defensiveback23
02-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Great selection for the Chargers. Smith's versatility would be a welcome addition to the unit.

BeerBaron
02-21-2008, 10:31 PM
good, standard, non-brian brohm bears pick. i like it. good job

wicket
02-22-2008, 03:16 AM
cheers, I've spend a lot of time I should've spend studying on it

nikkayeah
02-22-2008, 03:55 AM
devin thomas=49ers saviour