PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Combine 1st round Mock with Long Explanations

hugegmenfan
02-21-2008, 04:55 PM
I do not like trying to incorporate trades into a mock draft, because its usually impossible to predict. I put a lot of time into this so please give feedback and i will update it again after the stock at the combine flucuates.

1. Miami Dolphins Select:
Chris Long DE, UVA
Unless Matt Ryan really impresses in private workouts and interviews, I do not see him being the pick. Bill Parcells is now heading a new team and Long is just the type of physical, dynamic young defensive player he would look for. Dorsey is def a possibility but i think parcells will look at his injury record and realize the safest and smartest pick is long. I personally do not like Matt Ryan that much, and i think the dolphins will wait a year before selecting a Qb that is the perfect fit rather than just choosing the best QB in the draft today.

2. St Louis Rams Select:
Jake Long OT, Michigan
This is one of the most difficult picks in the draft because the Rams could go in a couple of directions. Orlando Pace is very old and is constantly getting injured and Bulger felt the pain of a lack of protection this past season. Long can anchor this o line for years and help keep the Rams off the IR list.

3. Atlanta Falcons Select:
Matt Ryan QB, BC
As I said before, I am personally not a big fan of the guy, but that's irrelevant. Darren Mcfadden is a very legit possibility but I feel the Dunn and Norwood tandem might be around for 1 more year. This team cannot go one more year with Redman or Harrington as their starting QB and they need to start the future now.

4. Oakland Raiders Select:
Glenn Dorsey DT, LSU
You may ask why the Raiders are passing on Mcfadden. But Dorsey is a rare talent and with the departure of Sapp, the position is a downright necessity. They just gave Fargas a contract extension plus they have Rhodes who will be around for the entire season this year. I think the Raiders could go for a HB 2nd round in may be Felix Jones, Ray Rice or Chris Johnson

5. Kansas City Chiefs Select:
Sedrick Ellis DT, USC
After watching Ellis in the senior bowl, this guy is going to be the real deal and I do not think for a second there is a large drop off between Dorsey and Ellis. The Chiefs have good ends in Hali and the now franchised Allen but they lack a presence in the middle. Ellis could make the chiefs hard to stop on the front four.

6. New York Jets Select:
Darren McFadden HB, Arkansas
I think Mcfadden is a GREAT player, do not get me wrong, but i think some teams will be scared to make him their featured back. Its very possible Mcfadden could go to the silver and black or the falcons but i think his stock drops a little and the jets are able to get a massive steal in DMAC which should get pressure off of whoever the starting QB is and FINALLY put a playmaker in their offense.

7. New England Patriots Select:
Vernon Gholston DE/OLB, OSU
The Patriots need youth in their Linebacking corp, especially if they sign Zach Thomas. Pretty much every one is over 30 years old. Gholston is a great pass rusher and should help the Patriots a lot.

8. Baltimore Ravens Select:
Ryan Clady OT, Boise State
This was an incredibly difficult pick. I wanted to give them Brohm but i do not think he is worth the 8th overall pick and its very possible if they wanted him badly enough they could trade down like 5-10 spots to get him. Clady will be the heir to Ogden. He is extremely athletic and with last years pick of Ben Grubbs they will have a young, solid oline for years to come.

9. Cincinnati Bengals Select:
Keith Rivers OLB, USC
The Bengals need a lot. If i were them i would trade down a little bit to acquire more picks. Rivers is an amazing talent. I personally love this guy and think he will be a stud. With Justin Smith most likely leaving, DE is another strong possibility.

10. New Orleans Saints Select:
Leodis McKelvin CB, Troy
Troy has produced some good Def players like Ware and Osi and McKelvin at this point is the best CB in the draft. Jason David turned out to be a total bust of a signing and this team could torched on Def a lot. Major upgrade day 1.

11. Buffalo Bills Select:
Derrick Harvey DE, Florida
They wish Keith Rivers could have fallen a little farther, but unfortunately he did not. The Bills could also trade down and acquire more picks because 17 players on IR means they need as much as depth as possible. They need a 2nd Wr across from Evans too. I actually think they make a serious play at Lance Briggs due to their cap situation and with Poz coming back from injury they go DE and may be WR in round 2.

12. Denver Broncos Select:
Kenny Phillips S, The U
This is the most logical pick for the Broncos to do. Lynch is getting old and I cannot even name the starting safety across from him. I doubt they go DE/OLB tweener because they just drafted Jarvis Moss last year. Phillips can help stop the pass and run.

13. Carolina Panthers Select:
Chris Williams OT, Vanderbilt
This may be a high for the guy but the Panthers need an OT with 2 of their olineman this offseason becoming FA as well as the release of Mike WAhle. OLB is a possibility too with the release of Dan Morgan. But games are won in the trenches so they take a little reach.

14. Chicago Bears Select:
Brian Brohm QB, Louisville
Come on, enough is enough. Grossman and Griese are not the answers. The bears took a major set back this season and have in my opinion MANY holes they need to address, but this team will not go anywhere without a solid foundation at QB.

15. Detroit Lions Select:
Mike Jenkins CB, USF
Jeff Otah is a possibility here as well because Kitna was sacked the most in the entire NFL but with the departure of Bly last season, they never really had anyone to replace him in the secondary. He's a good player and will help a team which was good in run D but very poor in pass D

16. Arizona Cardinals Select:
Rashard Mendenhall HB, IU
I really like this guy. Sometimes more than DMAC, I know. I am crazy. Edge has lost it and it would not surprise me if he was cut for cap space. The Cards franchised Karlos Dansby. They def need help in the secondary but with the top 2 guys are gone and i do not think they reach at 16 for the next best.

17. Minnesota Vikings Select:
Phillip Merling DE, Clemson
This team gets nothing out of their ends but Merling should help solve that problem. Can you imagine how good this team would be if they had a steady pass rusher? it scares me. It would also help take off pressure from their secondary.

18. Houston Texans Select:
Johnathan Stewart Hb, Oregon
Kenny Phillips would have been perfect but he is long gone. Ahman Green was good for a little bit but is old and has durability problems now. Schaub, Stewart and Johnson should provide for a great trio for the future

19. Philadelphia Eagles Select:
Desean Jackson WR, Cal
Jackson is perfect for this team. BEfore Brian Westbrook was the only playmaker on the team but another speedy, dynamic fast player that can stretch the field would help the Eagles tremendously. Brown, Curtis, and Jackson along with LJ smith and westbrook makes for a formidable offense.

20. Tampa Bay Bucs Select:
Kentwan Balmer DT, UNC
Balmer is a very good player and could help plug up the middle for a relatively old defense. Malcom Kelly could go here as well because behind Galloway they have no one that can make plays.

21. Washington Redskins Select:
Calais Campbell DE, Miami
The guy might be too big truthfully, but Andre Carter is not a formidable pass rusher and the Giants made it clear in the super bowl that it is very important. I think they can get a very legit Wr in the 2nd round. Manningham is extremely possible along with Malcolm Kelly.

22. Dallas Cowboys Select:
Mario Manningham WR, Michigan
TO is getting older and Glenn is most likely done. Behind them they have no one that really scares you. Manningham is a great talent and would help this team even more. With Julius Jones leaving, Felix Jones is an option but remember they have another pick. Also help in the secondary is an option too but i just don't think they pass up on a talent like Mario

23. Pittsburgh Steelers Select:
Jeff Otah OT, Pittsburgh
They get the hometown kid and help replace Faneca. Starks and Smith have question marks above them. Best pick possible right here.

24. Tennesee Titans Select:
Malcolm Kelly WR, OU
Depending on Limas Sweed's combine, this team could go for yet another player from Texas. But Kelly RIGHT NOW is the best WR available. Vince had a setback this past season but in my opinion not by his own fault. He has a thin supporting offense and Kelly would help give Vince a go to guy.

25. Seattle Seahawks Select:
Fred Davis TE, USC
It all depends what Trufant does. If he leaves they go CB, if he stays they go either Felix Jones or Fred Davis. I think the seahawks are pass first team and Davis helps their style of offense. They could get a guy like Chris Johnson or may be Ray Rice in round 2.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars Select:
Lawrence Jackson DE, USC
Tough decision here. They addressed their secondary last year in Nelson and i think with McCray leaving they take the best available DE.

27. San Diego Chargers Select:
Gosder Cherilus OT, BC
I may get called out on this one, but Mcneill is a great LT but their RT situation is average at best. Why not make it better? I do not think their secondary is as bad as people say it is. They could go Reggie smith or DRC here as well.

28. Dallas Cowboys Select:
Felix Jones HB, Arkansas
You may say 2 offensive players in the 1st round for the #2 offsense in the league? yeah its surprising but i would not put it past Jerry Jones. They could go Talib here too but i think there is tremendous depth at CB in this draft.

29. San Francisco 49ers Select:
Limas Sweed Wr, Texas
His stock could rise big time or fall depending on his combine performance in my opinion. But what a steal he is here. They could go Dan Connor too because of the recently departed Derek Smith. But if Alex Smith is their future he needs legit weapons

30. Green Bay Packers Select:
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB, Tennesee
This team could go Reggie Smith or DRC but they go DRC after his wild senior bowl. He may be a little small, but he impressed me so much with his jump, his instincts and for a guy who is like 175 his open field tackling ability. If he is even close to his cousin, Green Bay gets a GREAT player

31. New England Forfeits pick due to cheating

32. New York Giants Select:
Reggie Smith CB/S, OU
Perfect pick for the giants here in my opinion. As a die hard Giants fan, having this guy fall to us is a blessing. He is so versatile in the secondary and can start at safety or CB for us. He is a big hitter and makes the Giants D even scarier

Just miss the 1st round:
Aqib Talib
Dan Connor
Brandon Flowers

bored of education
02-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Love KC's pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yung Flippa
02-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Good Houston pick. Not really a fan of Baltimore's pick...we're already grooming Jared Gaither to be the heir for JO. I'd rather have McKelvin or Jenkins or even Kieth Rivers.

princefielder28
02-21-2008, 06:17 PM
really like the packers selection

A Perfect Score
02-21-2008, 06:57 PM
meh on the ravens...id rather have mcklevin...but the ravens have a habit of going BPA in draft day and then working around that, so i can see them getting clady there...mcklevin however is perfect for our scheme, can play man 2 man and rarely gets beat. I dont see how we pass on him. Not abd with clady though, better then brohm, who i dont think is even first round worthy.

LonghornsLegend
02-21-2008, 08:15 PM
You cant have a mock and not give dallas a db in the first rd, its our HUGEST need, mario manningham isnt that important, hell neither is rb for that matter...all those can be filled in the 2nd rds, we need a db badly, it should be our first pick, at worst our 28th pick...

thats not a good mock for us.

defensiveback23
02-21-2008, 08:24 PM
I don't think any Chargers fan would call you out on selecting Cherilus. There's no doubt the RT situation could be upgraded, and Cherilus is a great fit, but I think Smith would be a better pick. He would provide depth at every position in the secondary, fill the currently unoccupied nickelback role and be the future replacement to Hart at S.

21ST
02-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Good redskins pick, horrible reason.

BeerBaron
02-21-2008, 10:30 PM
<insert briam brohm to bears rhetoric here>

in case that code doesnt work:

brian brohm isnt that much better than guys like woodson or flacco who will be available at least a round later.

give us otah

thebow305
02-22-2008, 12:27 AM
ok phins pick

BaLLiN
02-22-2008, 05:52 AM
I love the giants pick

T-RICH49
02-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Love KC's pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ditto.With Jake Long gone Ellis is the guy I'd want after him

vidae
02-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Good KC pick with Jake Long already off the board.

BmoreBlackByrdz
02-22-2008, 08:28 PM
THANK YOU for not giving the Ravens Brohm, I would really hate the pick and I dont think hes worth a top10 selection. Clady however is a good pick. could really be a huge improvment from Adam Terry or can challenge Gaither for Ogdens job. I would like to see him play next to Grubbs, they would flat out dominate.

jdb1972
02-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Both the Panther OTs were free agents, but Wharton was just re-signed (granted, he may be moved to guard) and Gross was franchised. With Clady off the board, they won't reach for Williams.

The Panther off-season plan seems to be to re-sign players at positions that would be easy to replace and let go players at positions where it's difficult for them to replace them. Dunno what to tell you.

UPDATE: And now Fox has said Wharton's going to be a guard. Fox spends three years insisting the guy's a LT, Wharton spends 4 years insisting he's a LT, and only now do they finally realize he was much better at guard than LT? Sheesh.