PDA

View Full Version : AK's 2/22/08 mock

akvikefan89
02-22-2008, 06:10 AM
Last Updated: 2/22/08

#1- Dolphins: Chris Long, DE, Virginia
(Parcells knows a sure pick when he sees one. Long will start the new age of the Dolphins franchise, and be a great all-around DE for the 'Phins for years to come)
__________________________________________________ ___

#2- Rams: Jake Long, OT, Michigan
(I see Dorsey as the pick in a lot of mocks here, but I think that the offensive minded Linehan saw what happened when Orlando Pace went down with a serious injury. Pace is no spring chicken and Long is certainly worthy of this pick)

#3- Falcons: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
(A lot of mocks have Matt Ryan here, but I don't feel he's worthy of a top 3 selection. The fan base in Atlanta seems pretty upset, and drafting a highlight player like Darren McFadden would be a popular option amongst the fans. But more importantly, it would give the Falcons one heck of a running back tandem between McFadden and Norwood as a change of pace back)

#4- Raiders: Glenn Dorsey, DT, Michigan
(Warren Sapp leaving leaves a big hole in the Raiders defensive line. Luckily for them, the best player available fills a huge need. An easy pick here)

#5- Chiefs: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
(They were hoping for Jake Long to fall, but Sedrick Ellis is a darned good consolation prize. Jared Allen will finally get some inside help, and everyone on the Chiefs defense will welcome Ellis with open arms)

#6- Jets: Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State
(A great 3-4 prospect, Gholston is a perfect fit for the Jets here. Gholston's impact as a pass-rusher will be a huge boost for the Jets defense)

#7- Patriots (f/49ers): Keith Rivers, OLB, USC
(The Patriots tried to get Zach Thomas, but that didn't appear to work out. They go with Rivers here to inject a young stud LB into an aging group. Rivers can make an immediate impact on the Patriots defense)

#8- Ravens: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
(Ravens fans should be pretty happy that Ryan falls to this pick. Brohm, Woodson, etc... would all be reaches here, but Ryan is the guy that can come in and be the answer at QB that the Ravens have been searching for)

#9- Bengals: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
(By placing the franchise tag on OL Stacy Andrews, the Bengals have shown Justin Smith the door. They won't pass on a pass-rusher liked Harvey here)

#10- Saints: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
(The Saints are happy to take McKelvin here. Mike McKenzie is getting up there, and Jason David was supposed to help the Saints CB woes, but instead he earned the nickname "burnt toast")

#11- Bills: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
(The Bills take Jenkins and he will immediately provide competition for the #2 CB spot across from Terrance McGee)

#12- Broncos: Kenny Phillips, S, Miami
(John Lynch is at the end of his career, and Nick Ferguson is packing his bags. The Broncos take Phillips here and add a huge spark to their secondary)

#13- Panthers: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
(The Panthers managed to keep Jordan Gross, but it looks like they'll have a huge hole at LT. Clady is an easy pick here)

#14- Bears: Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
(The Bears need to shore up their offensive line. They take Otah here and hope that he develops into a franchise tackle)

#15- Lions: Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State
(Every year there is a player who soars up draft boards, and this year it's Cromartie. He looks every bit like a premiere CB prospect, and I expect his stock will only go up after the combine. The Lions desperately need a CB and Cromartie is the guy)

#16- Cardinals: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinoise
(Perhaps the best pure runner in the draft, Mendenhall is a great replacement for aging Edgerrin James)

#17- Vikings: DeSean Jackson, WR/PR/KR, California
(The Vikings pass on Calais Campbell and go with DeSean Jackson here. Jackson lacks ideal size, but there's no denying his ability to stretch the field, something no Vikings' WR did last year. He can also contribute in the returning game, the Vikings didn't seem to have great starting field position for most of last year)

#18- Texans: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon
(Gary Kubiak knows how much a ground game helped his former team the Denver Broncos. Ahman Green is wearing down, Dominick Davis (who changed his name to something that I don't remember) can't be counted on to return in good form. Stewart is a solid pick here for the Texans)

#19- Eagles: Reggie Smith, S/CB, Oklahoma
(Brian Dawkins is at the end of his career, and the Eagles are just plain terrible at safety when he leaves. Smith is a ball-hawking playmaker at safety and could start at some point this year opposite Dawkins)

#20- Bucs: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
(Kelly apparently won't run at the combine, and it hurts his stock. However Jon Gruden knows the Bucs need WR help and that Kelly is their best bet)

#21- Redskins: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
(Campbell gets the nod over Phillip Merling, and is a smart pick here. The Redskins need a DE and Campbell fits the bill and is pretty decent value)

#22- Cowboys (f/ Browns): Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
(By placing the franchise tag on safety Ken Hamlin, the Cowboys lose starting Pro-Bowl LT Flozell Adams to FA. As of right now this is who is protecting Tony Romo's blind-side:
http://lb.dallascowboys.com/images/McQuistan_Pat_150.jpg

That 3rd round redneck woman-resembling redhead should not be the only thing between massive pass-rushing monsters and the Cowboys franchise QB. The Cowboys will try to develop Williams as fast as possible)

#23- Steelers: Branden Albert, OG, Virginia
(A great replacement for Alen Faneca. Albert is a beast and many people are taking notice of him lately)

#24- Titans: Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan
(There's no doubt that the Titans need WR help. Manningham could end up being the savior for Vince Young and the Titans offense)

#25- Seahawks: Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M
(Bennett is arguably the best TE in the draft, and he's winning over draft experts. Matt Hasselbeck will appreciate a great safety option in Bennett, who will become a very good TE for the Seahawks)

#26- Jaguars: Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
(DE is a big need for the Jaguars, and the under-rated Merling is an all-around DE who can step in soon and make a strong Jaguars defense even stronger)

#27- Chargers: Curtis Lofton, ILB, Oklahoma
(Perhaps a bit of a surprise pick here, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to take Kentwan Balmer. Lofton is an under-rated prospect and would be a beast playing next to Shawn Merriman and behind Jamal Williams)

#28- Cowboys: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
(Cason will be a nice addition to the Cowboys aging CB group. He can learn in the nickle defense and take over a starting job in the near-future)

#29- 49ers (f/Colts): Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
(The 49ers defense needs help up front, and Balmer is the man that can do it)

#30- Packers: Aquib Talib, CB, Kansas
(The Packers CB's are both in their 30's, and Aquib Talib is a good fit to eventually replace Al Harris as the physical corner)

#31- Patriots: A good lawyer
(... Matt Walsh is supposedly talking soon. How long before the Pats find the phone # of O.J. Simpson's attorney?)

#31- Giants: Dan Conner, OLB, Penn State
(The Giants fans razzed me for this pick last time, but I am sticking to it. Conner is a good pick here and fills a need)

BaLLiN
02-22-2008, 06:17 AM
[size=3]#31- Giants: Dan Conner, OLB, Penn State
(The Giants fans razzed me for this pick last time, but I am sticking to it. Conner is a good pick here and fills a need)

Its Connor, not Conner. And he's a MLB or SLB because he has bad coverage, we had a need at WLB, but now that Kiwi is coming back to WLB we dont and have depth with Wilkinson, DB is our biggest need. If things go well, atlanta will trade us D Hall for this pick.

Matthew Jones
02-22-2008, 07:01 AM
There's no way Atlanta will trade DeAngelo Hall for #32 overall. It'd probably have to be another top-10. I do agree that linebacker isn't a big need for the Giants, I'd go with a CB, S, or WR.

BigBlueCrew56
02-22-2008, 07:05 AM
Wonderfull pick of Pat McQuistan but you forgot that the Boys are also high on a guy by the name of Doug Free. So taking a lineman in that spot is some what of a stretch.

BaLLiN
02-22-2008, 07:08 AM
There's no way Atlanta will trade DeAngelo Hall for #32 overall. It'd probably have to be another top-10. I do agree that linebacker isn't a big need for the Giants, I'd go with a CB, S, or WR.

I know, I think he's worth a top 5 pick, but if he wants out (which is possible) and says if he doesn't get his money he'll sit out next year and go to another team in FA, If atlanta doesn't let him have his money, there is a very good chance at him being traded, whether its the giants or not. I didn't say that it was for only #32, I think that if the falcons trade Hall they trying to get shockey and our first, but thats just me.

Bills2083
02-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Good Bills pick

Funny explanation for the Cowboys

21ST
02-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Great redskins pick

Beans
02-22-2008, 08:23 AM
bucs need a speedy deep threat reciever. desean or calais are better picks.

Vikes99ej
02-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Reggie Smith > DeSean Jackson. We can get a solid WR option in the second with Bennett or Doucet.

Matthew Jones
02-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Actually looking like the Giants may have almost finished a trade for Hall for #31. Falcons getting severely ripped off in that one! Maybe replace him with a Brandon Flowers?

Dr. Gonzo
02-22-2008, 12:42 PM
You call yourself a Vikings fan and you give us Jackson. Smith or Campbell wwould be our pick as I can almost guarantee that the Vikings will sign a #1 WR through FA.

akvikefan89
02-22-2008, 03:24 PM
You call yourself a Vikings fan and you give us Jackson. Smith or Campbell wwould be our pick as I can almost guarantee that the Vikings will sign a #1 WR through FA.

LOL, yes I am a huge Vikings fan. Here's my fansite if you'd like a look-see:

http://thevikingnation.proboards83.com/index.cgi

This mock is if the draft happened right now. I really hope the Vikes sign a #1 WR in FA too...

ChosenOne
02-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Pretty good Steelers pick.

02-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Nice Raiders pick. btw Dorsey never attended Michigan. ;)

defensiveback23
02-22-2008, 04:31 PM
The Chargers don't need an ILB. Both Cooper and Wilhelm played very well in their first years of starting and the team is very high on backups Waters and Siler. DB and RT are the team's most pressing needs.

Crazy_Chris
02-22-2008, 04:51 PM
The Vikings would not draft Desean Jackson if the draft happened right now. Brad doesn't value WR position highly in round 1. Especially with all the depth at WR position this year, you can get a good WR in round 2 or round 3. I'll take Donnie Avery in round 3 over Desean Jackson in round 1. We gotta address that pass defense in round 1 wether it be with a Safety or a DE, in this case I'll go with Calais Campbell.

akvikefan89
02-22-2008, 06:16 PM
This mock was prior to the news of DeSean Jackson weighing in like a pop-warner WR at the combine. My next mock he will be lower...

BeerBaron
02-22-2008, 06:28 PM
good acceptable bears pick

vidae
02-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Good KC pick considering Jake Long goes earlier.

thebow305
02-22-2008, 10:38 PM
ok phins pick

The Legend
02-23-2008, 07:58 AM
im cool with that packers & ravens draft pick