PDA

View Full Version : Falcons willing to trade to #1 for Ryan?

BigBlueCrew56
02-22-2008, 08:00 AM
http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/2008/02/mel-kiper-lets-loose-on-dolphins-draft.html

Wow if we could get a 2nd rounder out of the Falcons that would be so great. Then we take the best Long that's left at #3. BRILLIANT!!!!!!

Quagmire
02-22-2008, 01:17 PM
If they are not sold on Ryan and can get a #2 for moving down 2 spots, they better take it. However, I say that from there, they may still be able to make the deal w/ Dallas for the 2 #1's and Fasano and/or Carpenter. Or they can sit there and take Gholston if he is still there.

Joeyjr09
02-22-2008, 02:49 PM
In a heartbeat I make that trade. That would be ideal in my mind. The TVC calls for the number 3 overall and both of Atlanta's 2nd RDs. I don't think we'd get both but I'd do it for their number 3, their early 2nd and their early 3rd. Then I would serious look at this:

1-Vernon Gholston, OLB
2-Branden Albert, OG
2-James Hardy, WR
2-Anthony Collins, OT
3-Atyhba Rubin, NT
3-Justin King, CB
4-Kendal Langford, DE
6-Orlando Scandrick, CB
7-Marcus Dixon, DE

Something like that would be awesome. We get 4 players for the defensive front 7. We get two top notch OLs. A tall rangy WR and 2 CBs to push Lehan and Daniels off to other teams.

BigBlueCrew56
02-22-2008, 03:18 PM
I would so love this trade. If Miami could just hit the hype machine real hard on Matt Ryan and If Blank gets blinded by this and falls in love with Ryan then I cant see why this doesnt happen. But does Arthur Blank hold any ill will towards Parcells for walking out on him???? Hmmmm who knows

ChosenOne
02-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Who knows, I think Atlanta could pick up Ryan with their pick, but if Miami spreads some rumors and stuff...it could happen.

Joeyjr09
02-22-2008, 03:31 PM
I would so love this trade. If Miami could just hit the hype machine real hard on Matt Ryan and If Blank gets blinded by this and falls in love with Ryan then I cant see why this doesnt happen. But does Arthur Blank hold any ill will towards Parcells for walking out on him???? Hmmmm who knows

I could be wrong but Arthur Blank doesn't seem like a guy that would hold back his team for personal reasons. He was really good friends with Vick but changed his tune with all the issues because moving forward was the best thing for his team.

I doubt any personal grudge with Parcells would stop Blank from going and getting Ryan if he felt Ryan was the man to turn them around. Man I really hope this trade is true.

etk
02-22-2008, 03:41 PM
In your dreams Phins fans...TD would never trade up for any QB in the 1st let alone Matt Ryan with $35 mil guaranteed at the #1 overall pick. lol.

BigBlueCrew56
02-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Well if the Falcons trade Hall for an extra 1st then they will be in a very good spot to move up to #1 with all those picks. Even now without there extra 1st they have plenty of picks.

1. Atlanta Falcons(via trade with Phins)- QB Matt Ryan Boston College

2. St. Louis Rams- DE Chris Long Virginia

3. Miami Dolphins(via trade with ATL)- OT Jake Long or OLB Vernon Gholston

I vote for Jake and then try for Quentin Groves with that top pick in the second. Then try to grab Joe Flacco and John Carlson with the rest of the second round.

BigBlueCrew56
02-22-2008, 03:43 PM
In your dreams Phins fans...TD would never trade up for any QB in the 1st let alone Matt Ryan with $35 mil guaranteed at the #1 overall pick. lol.

Problem is that TD is in a very unique situtation in which a franchise has been burnt and the owner needs a new face to his franchise. A big name QB or RB is what puts fans in the stands. Arthur Blank will be making this pick for the franchise not TD.

thebow305
02-23-2008, 02:48 AM
I would absolutely love this trade, it would be a dream come true for me!

Because I no longer want us to be picking number one overall and at this point I would be willing to take a Snickers in exchange to move down a couple spots. :)

Just messin around obviously, but for someone like Parcells, who believes in stockpiling picks and building through the draft, this would be the perfect way to do just that. To be able to add a 2nd rounder or possibly just a third I don't know how they wouldn't jump all over this.

In a Perfect Case Scenario, this is what I hope we do:

Trade the #1 Pick to Atlanta for the #3 Pick, DeAngelo Hall, and maybe a 3rd rounder. Then, turn around and send the #3 pick to Dallas for the #22 and #28 picks, a 3rd rounder, and Bobby Carpenter.

This way, we end up with 2 first rounders, 2 second rounders, and 3 third rounders. While also filling out our needs at Cornerback and Inside Linebacker. Then Sign Flozell Adams, and bring Keyshawn out of retirement to fill the role of a possession guy and experienced vet to teach some of our younger guys. And re-sign Rex Hadnot & Yeremiah Bell.

Then draft like this:

1a) DeSean Jackson
1b) Kentwan Balmer
2a) Quentin Groves
2b) John Carlson
3a) Joe Flacco
3b) Chilo Rachal
3c) Justin King
4) Marcus Harrison
6) J Leman
7) Amarri Jackson

Something like that could be a big upgrade to our defense and offense and would make a us a good young team with a solid foundation heading into next season and beyond. The starting lineup would roughly look like this:

Offense:

QB: John Beck
RB: Ronnie Brown
FB: Reagan Mauia
WR1: Ted Ginn
WR1: Keyshawn Johnson
WR3: DeSean Jackson (Slot)
TE: John Carlson
LT: Flozell Adams
LG: Chilo Rachal
C: Samson Satele
RG: Rex Hadnot
RT: Vernon Carey

Defense:

LE: Kentwan Balmer
NT: Marcus Harrison or Paul Soliai
RE: Rodrique Wright
OLB: Jason Taylor
ILB: Channing Crowder
ILB: Bobby Carpenter
OLB: Joey Porter
CB: DeAngelo Hall
CB: Will Allen
FS: Jason Allen
SS: Yeremiah Bell

With the top backups being: Matt Roth, J Leman, Quentin Groves, Justin King, Lorenzo Booker, and Ricky Williams.

That's something nice to look at.

And for those questioning the DeSean Jackson pick, I think he may fall in the draft a little due to his weigh-in, maybe even further than that. But if he does, he would be a nice option next to Ginn in the slot and would give us the fastest WR combination in the league. While also allowing Ginn to focus more on being a true Wideout, which is what I've heard they are wanting to do with him.

Let me know what you guys think!

Walter Sobchak
02-23-2008, 07:13 AM
I like it but i hope some way we can get jake long

Joeyjr09
02-23-2008, 09:37 AM

Because I no longer want us to be picking number one overall and at this point I would be willing to take a Snickers in exchange to move down a couple spots. :)

Just messin around obviously, but for someone like Parcells, who believes in stockpiling picks and building through the draft, this would be the perfect way to do just that. To be able to add a 2nd rounder or possibly just a third I don't know how they wouldn't jump all over this.

Trade the #1 Pick to Atlanta for the #3 Pick, DeAngelo Hall, and maybe a 3rd rounder. Then, turn around and send the #3 pick to Dallas for the #22 and #28 picks, a 3rd rounder, and Bobby Carpenter.

This way, we end up with 2 first rounders, 2 second rounders, and 3 third rounders. While also filling out our needs at Cornerback and Inside Linebacker. Then Sign Flozell Adams, and bring Keyshawn out of retirement to fill the role of a possession guy and experienced vet to teach some of our younger guys. And re-sign Rex Hadnot & Yeremiah Bell.

Then draft like this:

1a) DeSean Jackson
1b) Kentwan Balmer
2a) Quentin Groves
2b) John Carlson
3a) Joe Flacco
3b) Chilo Rachal
3c) Justin King
4) Marcus Harrison
6) J Leman
7) Amarri Jackson

Something like that could be a big upgrade to our defense and offense and would make a us a good young team with a solid foundation heading into next season and beyond. The starting lineup would roughly look like this:

Offense:

Defense:

With the top backups being: Matt Roth, J Leman, Quentin Groves, Justin King, Lorenzo Booker, and Ricky Williams.

And for those questioning the DeSean Jackson pick, I think he may fall in the draft a little due to his weigh-in, maybe even further than that. But if he does, he would be a nice option next to Ginn in the slot and would give us the fastest WR combination in the league. While also allowing Ginn to focus more on being a true Wideout, which is what I've heard they are wanting to do with him.

I absolutely hate the idea of bringing in DeSean Jackson after drafting Ginn last season. They are like clones of each other. Why on earth would we use 2 1sts on the same player? Malcolm Kelly would be a fine pick but Jackson. No way.

etk
02-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Not to mention Jackson is a reach in the 1st at this point.

Finsfan79
02-23-2008, 10:21 AM
I want to see the Oline and Dline built up personally a trade back to number 3 and getting Jake long would make me happy the more I think of it.

thebow305
02-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Not to mention Jackson is a reach in the 1st at this point.

Well then we get him in the 2nd and it would be a steal. I would rather get him to come in and be a slot/returner, which is what we need if Ginn is going to focus on being a full-time reciever. Then we bring in a big guy like Amarri Jackson in the 7th, who would be a project player that Keyshawn could mentor and he could end up being a surprise player for us when KJ retires. That's my reasoning for it, you guys may not agree but I have a problem with guys like Malcolm Kelly and James Hardy who have trouble seperating from defenders at the line. We don't want a Matt Jones type player, that's for sure.

etk
02-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Malcolm Kelly has no problem separating...at all. Aren't you a Canes fan? You should know this.

bearsfan_51
02-23-2008, 11:12 AM
The Dolphins would have to really sell the point that they would otherwise take Matt Ryan. I'm not sure they have the ability to do that.

It's basically Atlanta betting against itself here, I don't know why they would do that.

Bosanac01
02-23-2008, 11:30 AM

Then draft like this:

1a) DeSean Jackson
1b) Kentwan Balmer
2a) Quentin Groves
2b) John Carlson
3a) Joe Flacco
3b) Chilo Rachal
3c) Justin King
4) Marcus Harrison
6) J Leman
7) Amarri Jackson

Offense:

Defense:

Your're not serious, Atlanta wont trade Hall, their first and a third to move up two spots for a QB like Ryan and give him more money than he deserves. Hall is one of the best CB in the league and only 23, younger than most in this draft. Man get real seriously!!

Joeyjr09
02-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Well then we get him in the 2nd and it would be a steal. I would rather get him to come in and be a slot/returner, which is what we need if Ginn is going to focus on being a full-time reciever. Then we bring in a big guy like Amarri Jackson in the 7th, who would be a project player that Keyshawn could mentor and he could end up being a surprise player for us when KJ retires. That's my reasoning for it, you guys may not agree but I have a problem with guys like Malcolm Kelly and James Hardy who have trouble seperating from defenders at the line. We don't want a Matt Jones type player, that's for sure.

Ginn can be a full time WR and return kicks. No reason to take Jackson to be a slot guy and return kicks. You can find a decent slot guy in the 3rd, not in the 1st, that's murder to our teams. We have too many holes for that kinda crap.

Quagmire
02-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Joey,

Have to agree with you. No way to Desean Jackson in round 1. I like him as a player, but there is no way you take him with Ginn on the team. Same type of player. They need some physicality to go opposite him..

Bow,

There is no chance Atlanta gives up Hall and another pick to move up 2 spots. To be honest, if they gave us the 2 they got from Houston and a #5, I would do it. Still gives you a shot at Gholston and would give 3 #2's before trading JT. The #5 would replace the pick lost for Green. I know that is not trade chart friendly, but I do that in a heartbeat if they are not convinced Ryan is a franchise QB.....

bearsfan_51
02-23-2008, 04:13 PM
You guys are nuts. The Falcons are not going to give up both of their 2nd rounders and a 5th either.

Hell, if I was the Dolphins I would swap the 1st pick with the 3rd pick for free. You're probably going to draft the same player anyway, and you're going to save a hell of a lot of money. Nobody wants that pick. I'd just thank my lucky stars that someone was willing to take it from me.

Quagmire
02-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Bears fan:

I suggested the low #2 and a #5, not both. You are correct that it is difficult to trade this pick, however if ATL falls in love with Ryan, they may want to move to ensure they get him. Plus, they already have 2 #2's and Deangelo Hall will net them another pick. Not that crazy a thought....

Joeyjr09
02-23-2008, 05:46 PM
You guys are nuts. The Falcons are not going to give up both of their 2nd rounders and a 5th either.

Hell, if I was the Dolphins I would swap the 1st pick with the 3rd pick for free. You're probably going to draft the same player anyway, and you're going to save a hell of a lot of money. Nobody wants that pick. I'd just thank my lucky stars that someone was willing to take it from me.

Dude, Who said anything about both Atlanta's 2nds? I think getting the number 3 overall, a 2nd and a 5th is very reasonable for the number 1 overall pick. Especially if Atlanta feels Ryan is the guy. It'd be worth it for them.

thebow305
02-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Ginn can be a full time WR and return kicks. No reason to take Jackson to be a slot guy and return kicks. You can find a decent slot guy in the 3rd, not in the 1st, that's murder to our teams. We have too many holes for that kinda crap.

Ok, well I can agree with you on that. There's something new huh!? I just have a bias towards speed sometimes that is hard for me to control, I also love finding good values and if he was there in the 2nd, small or not, he's a great value. But you are right, we have much bigger needs now. You do have to admit though, right now, our WR core looks pathetic. Ginn is the only dependable guy there right now. It's got to be upgraded eventually. I guess we could do that later though, I just like DeSean alot.

thebow305
02-23-2008, 11:19 PM

I would almost be willing to do that at this point. Just as long as the Rams don't take Gholston. :)

Joeyjr09
02-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Ok, well I can agree with you on that. There's something new huh!? I just have a bias towards speed sometimes that is hard for me to control, I also love finding good values and if he was there in the 2nd, small or not, he's a great value. But you are right, we have much bigger needs now. You do have to admit though, right now, our WR core looks pathetic. Ginn is the only dependable guy there right now. It's got to be upgraded eventually. I guess we could do that later though, I just like DeSean alot.

I wouldn't call Ginn dependable. Up and coming? Sure. Full of potential? Sure. Threat to break a long one? You bet. But dependable? Not yet. He's a young kid that's still learning the position and will be thrust into a starting role this season. He's gonna have alot of pressure on him. I expect him to be a very solid NFL WR absed on what I saw last season and he's definately gonna make some people miss and make big catches. I love that you saw him willing to work some in the middle of the field last year on crossing routes. With some added bulk and better grasp, I think he'll be very good for us but I'm not ready to say he's a dependable WR just yet. He's gonna have his ups and downs now season as he continues to grow as a player. I think it'll still be another year and a half or 2 years before we see him start to really really fill his great potential.

That said, I think a Limas Sweed, Adarius Bowman, James Hardy or even a later guy like Mario Urrutia would be great pickups to play along side him. All tall, physical that can take some pressure off him. All have big upside and all seem t be guys that are gonna slip a little lower then they probably should be taken which means we can get good value for them. Those are the types of player id want

thebow305
02-24-2008, 01:12 AM
I wouldn't call Ginn dependable. Up and coming? Sure. Full of potential? Sure. Threat to break a long one? You bet. But dependable? Not yet. He's a young kid that's still learning the position and will be thrust into a starting role this season. He's gonna have alot of pressure on him. I expect him to be a very solid NFL WR absed on what I saw last season and he's definately gonna make some people miss and make big catches. I love that you saw him willing to work some in the middle of the field last year on crossing routes. With some added bulk and better grasp, I think he'll be very good for us but I'm not ready to say he's a dependable WR just yet. He's gonna have his ups and downs now season as he continues to grow as a player. I think it'll still be another year and a half or 2 years before we see him start to really really fill his great potential.

That said, I think a Limas Sweed, Adarius Bowman, James Hardy or even a later guy like Mario Urrutia would be great pickups to play along side him. All tall, physical that can take some pressure off him. All have big upside and all seem t be guys that are gonna slip a little lower then they probably should be taken which means we can get good value for them. Those are the types of player id want

Ok... what i should have said, what I meant, was that he is the most dependable WR he have on our roster right now. Which is not saying much when you conclude that our WR's consists of Derek Hagan, Greg Camarillo, and not too much more right now. And all I cna say is that Ginn dropped very few passes last year despite being labeled as extemely raw with questionable hands. His routes may have been questionable at times last year, but his hands were anything but.

And I agree he needs a big possession guy next to him to complement his speed. But we may have to invest too high a pick on Sweed, Hardy, or Bowman. I don't see them drafting any offensive players early enough, unless it's someone like Carlson for TE, or an offensive tackle. A guy like Urrutia is intriguing though. He could possibly be had around the 4th round or a little later on. That I would not mind one bit!

Joeyjr09
02-24-2008, 07:37 AM
Ok... what i should have said, what I meant, was that he is the most dependable WR he have on our roster right now. Which is not saying much when you conclude that our WR's consists of Derek Hagan, Greg Camarillo, and not too much more right now. And all I cna say is that Ginn dropped very few passes last year despite being labeled as extemely raw with questionable hands. His routes may have been questionable at times last year, but his hands were anything but.

And I agree he needs a big possession guy next to him to complement his speed. But we may have to invest too high a pick on Sweed, Hardy, or Bowman. I don't see them drafting any offensive players early enough, unless it's someone like Carlson for TE, or an offensive tackle. A guy like Urrutia is intriguing though. He could possibly be had around the 4th round or a little later on. That I would not mind one bit!

Carlson just ran a 4.9 at the combine. His stock is gonna free fall. With all the needs we have, I wouldn't waste an early 3rd round pick on a TE that is that slow. Parcells uses his TEs too much, he needs a guy that can run a little faster in order to get some room to make catches.

Quagmire
02-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Carlson just ran a 4.9 at the combine. His stock is gonna free fall. With all the needs we have, I wouldn't waste an early 3rd round pick on a TE that is that slow. Parcells uses his TEs too much, he needs a guy that can run a little faster in order to get some room to make catches.

Joey,

While a 4.9 did not help Carlson, he sure looked smooth in the position drills.. They keep comparing him with what Zach Miller did last yr. Miller had a pretty solid rookie yr and was a high #2. While he may not sneak into round 1 like I originally thought, he won't get out of round 2. If he does, they should take him with the 3rd pick, because he would be a steal. I think he can be an effective starter for a long time......

Joeyjr09
02-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Joey,

While a 4.9 did not help Carlson, he sure looked smooth in the position drills.. They keep comparing him with what Zach Miller did last yr. Miller had a pretty solid rookie yr and was a high #2. While he may not sneak into round 1 like I originally thought, he won't get out of round 2. If he does, they should take him with the 3rd pick, because he would be a steal. I think he can be an effective starter for a long time......

I've read the Zach Miller stuff. They aren't comparing him to Zach Miller at all. The only thing they have done is use Zach Miller as an example as a TE who didn't necessarily drop even with a slow 40 time. They didn't say they expect the same to happen with Carlson. They were just showing that there's a slight POSSIBILITY that he mite not slip as much as some think he will.

Besides, none of that matters. I think I have mentioned to you before. Just because one player has done something doesn't mean another will automatically do something. Zach Miller is the exception, not the rule. For every Zach Miller that runs that slow and still gets drafted really high there are a million other guys that run that slow and drop a round or more then where they thought they would go.

It's alot more likely that he'll fall very far in this draft then get taken that as early as Zach Miller was taken. John Carlson looks pegged for late round 2/early round 3 right now.

thebow305
02-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Joey,

I do agree on this completely, only that he is also a better blocker than Miller was and is much quicker on the field. Although his forty time does not indicate his speed as being anything more than below average, the 40 is not always the most clear indication of a players ability. Undoubtedly I would have loved to see Carlson run a 4.5 forty just like Olsen did last year, but I have seen a lot of Carlson this year. Enough to make me have 0 doubt in this guys abilities. And yes he did look fluid in all of his position drills, because let's face it, this guy is a football player, not a track star. And on the field, he's as smooth as they come.

Good, let him fall to the 3rd round, better for us. Then we get the STEAL OF THE DRAFT, no question about that!

Quagmire
02-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Joey,
I was using Zach Miller as an example, not necessarily a comparison. If Carlson runs a better time at his pro day, I think this can be overcome. The guy is a good player who did really well in all of the other drills. I would still be very happy to have him on the team.....

Quagmire
02-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Bow,
I am kind of glad he did not run 4.5 because there would be no way he dropped to rd 2 if that happened. If this drops him to the low 2nd rounder that Miami has, I would be very happy...

Joeyjr09
02-24-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm higher on Martellus Bennett and Fred Davis then I am on Carlson. I just want someone that can open up the middle a little more and a 4.9 is very concerning that's really slow even for a TE. Now if he runs a 4.7 during his Pro Day I'd be ok with that.

thebow305
02-25-2008, 12:06 AM
I just see Carlson as a Parcells type of guy. I think The Tuna will love ths guy.