PDA

View Full Version : Millen Breaks Silence

Bootland27
02-22-2008, 12:43 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080222/SPORTS01/80222028

Matt Millen says if he were fan, 'I'd blame me, too'
INDIANAPOLIS Lions president Matt Millen sat down Friday with a small group of Detroit reporters for his first extensive interview in months.

He talked about his record, Shaun Rogers, Kalimba Edwards, Mike Martz, the constant shuffling of coaches, the scouting staff and more.

Here are the highlights:

Q: How do you handle criticism?

A: Im pretty good with blame. I have been blamed my whole life. You grow up in a family of 11, you get blamed a whole lot.

Q: There arent 10 other presidents of the Lions, though. Youre the only one.

A: I expect it. Its not any different.

Q: Is it valid?

A: If I was sitting at home and I was a Lion fan, youve got to blame somebody. Id blame me, too. Nobody sees all the inner workings. Thats part of my job is to get blamed. Im OK with that. But its also part of my job to win. We havent done that.

Q: What do you think of your 31-81 record?

A: Its awful. Its beyond awful. I understand that.

Q: But you see brighter days ahead?

A: You have to. Im not made to say, Aw, we suck. Were always going to suck. I dont think like that. I go into every game thinking we can win because you put a plan together and then you try to execute the plan.

All the questions come up. Is it coaching? Is it talent? Whatever. Its never just one thing. Poor coaching can kill good talent. Poor talent can kill good coaching.
Sometimes theyre both there, and it just doesnt work.

I would say we played the Dallas Cowboys as well as anybody could play them. We outplayed them. We lost. Who knows why? Things happen in a game that go beyond that. It just didnt happen. I dont get it. But it happens.

.........Continued at FREEP.com

Unbelivable

JPLUFF
02-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Q: Are you holding out hope you can get something for Kalimba Edwards?

A: Or get something out of him.

lol...oh Millen

Addict
02-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Q: What do you think of your 31-81 record?

A: “It’s awful. It’s beyond awful. I understand that.”

what the hell does he mean? He understands 31-81 is a bad record? Hell a 5-year old understands losing 81 times and winning 31 times is bad.

bearsfan_51
02-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Wow. I had no idea Millen was so blunt. I mean...I respect people that tell the truth but some of that borders on stupidity. It's almost like he's daring the Fords to fire him.

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Wow. I had no idea Millen was so blunt. I mean...I respect people that tell the truth but some of that borders on stupidity. It's almost like he's daring the Fords to fire him.
I think he's just being honest. He knows how secure his job is (and the Fords know about the past failures), so I don't think he's worrying about being fired.

Instead, I think he's trying to come forward and tell the fans that he made many mistakes and is on the "right track". An outstanding off season and a lot of fans might wipe the slate clean.

Addict
02-23-2008, 12:33 PM
I think he's just being honest. He knows how secure his job is (and the Fords know about the past failures), so I don't think he's worrying about being fired.

Instead, I think he's trying to come forward and tell the fans that he made many mistakes and is on the "right track". An outstanding off season and a lot of fans might wipe the slate clean.

Not off-season, just a season that shows some promise.

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Not off-season, just a season that shows some promise.

The season is usually on the Head Coach, but the offseason(s) are put on Millen. If he makes some great moves and has an outstanding draft, it'll be to his credit.

A 6-2 start (2-0 against the Bears) with the team we had... that shows promise to me.

bearsfan_51
02-23-2008, 01:12 PM
The season is usually on the Head Coach, but the offseason(s) are put on Millen. If he makes some great moves and has an outstanding draft, it'll be to his credit.

A 6-2 start (2-0 against the Bears) with the team we had... that shows promise to me.
What does the 1-7 finish show you?

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 01:19 PM
What does the 1-7 finish show you?We played the Packers (twice), Cowboys, World Champion Giants, Chargers and Vikings. 4 of those 5 teams were in the playoffs, and the Vikings were close.

The loss to the Cards was disappointing, but we were a Lenon kick away from beating the Cowboys and a late drive away from beating the Giants.

Hell... at least we didn't lose to the Lions... twice. And, oh yeah, finish last in the NFC North.

bearsfan_51
02-23-2008, 03:18 PM
We played the Packers (twice), Cowboys, World Champion Giants, Chargers and Vikings. 4 of those 5 teams were in the playoffs, and the Vikings were close.

The loss to the Cards was disappointing, but we were a Lenon kick away from beating the Cowboys and a late drive away from beating the Giants.

Hell... at least we didn't lose to the Lions... twice. And, oh yeah, finish last in the NFC North.

So it told you that the Lions can't beat a good team. Got it. Great building blocks for next year.

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 05:44 PM
So it told you that the Lions can't beat a good team. Got it. Great building blocks for next year.What does that say about teams that go 0-2 against the Lions?

Just curious.

Gay Ork Wang
02-23-2008, 06:10 PM
What does that say about teams that go 0-2 against the Lions?

Just curious.
When was the last time the Lions were actually in a SB? jw

btw 1 game the Defense played with a whole backup Secondary, Briggs out and i believe a DLinemen out too...and still kept it close

bearsfan_51
02-23-2008, 06:23 PM
What does that say about teams that go 0-2 against the Lions?

Just curious.

We aren't very good anymore. You'll notice that one of us here is delusional about the talent level on our team. You keep bringing up the fact that you beat us like that's a huge accomplishment. We almost lost to the Raiders.

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 06:26 PM
When was the last time the Lions were actually in a SB? jw

btw 1 game the Defense played with a whole backup Secondary, Briggs out and i believe a DLinemen out too...and still kept it closeYay! The Lions were 2-0 against a team that... played in the Super Bowl! That's almost as good as winning one, right? We should ask the Pats. Man... I feel good... 2-0 against a Super Bowl loser.

Wow... kept it close? Close is fantastic. Great job on "keeping it close". NFL teams play to "keep it close". Here... let me fix your 2007 record: 7-*9.
*Denotes games that the Bears kept close.

Gay Ork Wang
02-23-2008, 06:28 PM
So its a big accomplishment to u that u beat the bears (and we were so awesome this year right?) twice once hardly with the Secondary out?
yay if it makes u happier, here take this cookie

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 06:37 PM
So its a big accomplishment to u that u beat the bears (and we were so awesome this year right?) twice once hardly with the Secondary out?
yay if it makes u happier, here take this cookieUmm... well... you did ask when the last time we were in a Super Bowl was... obviously crediting the Bears with some sort of noteworthy accomplishment. Sorry... the NFL is played in the current year, not in years prior.

Hey, Renji... I've got a suggestion. Try clicking here (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)... they'll probably agree with you completely.

Splat
02-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Just wow and I thought Carl Peterson was bad.

Gay Ork Wang
02-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Umm... well... you did ask when the last time we were in a Super Bowl was... obviously crediting the Bears with some sort of noteworthy accomplishment. Sorry... the NFL is played in the current year, not in years prior.

Hey, Renji... I've got a suggestion. Try clicking here (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)... they'll probably agree with you completely.
Too bad, i got no link for u, cause no one agrees with u ;)

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Too bad, i got no link for u, cause no one agrees with u ;)Here... let me provide one: link (www.nfl.com).

bearsfan_51
02-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Here... let me provide one: link (www.nfl.com).

Haha...that's pretty funny. See the difference here (Renji aside apparently) is that having a losing record is embarassing to Bears fans. You, on the other hand, seem thrilled by the fact that the Lions won 7 games, and are bringing up the 6-2 as if the subsequent 1-7 tank job never happened. It's not how you start, it's how you finish, and the Lions finished worse than any team not named the Dolphins.

Gay Ork Wang
02-23-2008, 06:49 PM
its is embarassing to me :P i just dont get his "The Lions are good cause they beat the Bears"

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 07:11 PM
its is embarassing to me :P i just dont get his "The Lions are good cause they beat the Bears"Nah... that isn't it at all. It's "The Bears are bad because they lost to the Lions".

Haha...that's pretty funny. See the difference here (Renji aside apparently) is that having a losing record is embarassing to Bears fans. You, on the other hand, seem thrilled by the fact that the Lions won 7 games, and are bringing up the 6-2 as if the subsequent 1-7 tank job never happened. It's not how you start, it's how you finish, and the Lions finished worse than any team not named the Dolphins.I don't like losing, but I like improving. You and I both know that the Lions have been completely horrible over the last many seasons... and that winning 7 games is an improvement. If they continue to improve (and I think they can), a winning record could be in the near future (in the NFC, that could mean a playoff berth), and that's good for any NFL team.

So, yeah... I'm glad that the Lions showed flashes of promise and were close to the playoffs this year. Call me crazy, but I believe in Marinelli and think that he can turn this thing around. Maybe that's just me.

bearsfan_51
02-23-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't like losing, but I like improving. You and I both know that the Lions have been completely horrible over the last many seasons... and that winning 7 games is an improvement. If they continue to improve (and I think they can), a winning record could be in the near future (in the NFC, that could mean a playoff berth), and that's good for any NFL team.

So, yeah... I'm glad that the Lions showed flashes of promise and were close to the playoffs this year. Call me crazy, but I believe in Marinelli and think that he can turn this thing around. Maybe that's just me.
That's a valid point, but that brings back my whole point about tanking at the end of the season. The Lions got some momentum and they completely blew it. That doesn't seem like something to build momentum on.

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 09:13 PM
That's a valid point, but that brings back my whole point about tanking at the end of the season. The Lions got some momentum and they completely blew it. That doesn't seem like something to build momentum on.Yeah... most teams probably wouldn't think so.

But, coming from a 3-13 season, 7-9 is a breath of fresh air. We actually played well at times and some players emerged. Sure, the losing wasn't fun... I would come on here after every loss and demand drastic change. But, looking back on the season, it wasn't horrible. I honestly believe that Martz was part of the problem, and balancing the offense will be great for the team next year. Bullocks will be healthy and we've still got FA and the draft to improve the defense. What's more: it sounds like Marinelli actually knows exactly what needs to be done.

So, yeah... finishing 1-7 wasn't great... but I see enough in the team (and especially in Marinelli) to have hope for next year.

Jagonsucker
02-23-2008, 10:48 PM
will you ******* ******* stop arguing about the bears and lions..this is about matt millen and right now i want to slap his ******* face right off

wingboy2999
02-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Hahahaha. Amen. Yeah, screw Millen. This pissed off my friend... and my friend is a Pats fan.