PDA

View Full Version : Report: Lions to Deal Shaun Rogers "Within the Next Week'

Bootland27
02-22-2008, 10:05 PM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Lions will trade DT Shaun Rogers within the next week.

Trades can't be executed until the free agency period begins on February 29. Schefter says at least four teams have shown strong interest in Rogers, whose skill set compares favorably to both Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis. Rogers has his ups and downs, but most premier interior linemen do. The Lions should be able to get at least a second-round pick for the 28-year-old. Feb. 22 - 7:24 pm et

Xiomera
02-22-2008, 10:16 PM
At least a 2nd round pick . . . I'd do it.

princefielder28
02-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Who do you think are the potential takers??? Denver, Tampa Bay, Oakland, and possibly the Saints are teams that come to mind

PackerLegend
02-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Who do you think are the potential takers??? Denver, Tampa Bay, Oakland, and possibly the Saints are teams that come to mind

I think I heard the Jets might want him also and that maybe they could work out some deal with Rodgers-Vilma involved. Not 100% sure tho.

Brothgar
02-22-2008, 10:39 PM

Lets not forget teams like Miami, Oakland, Atlanta, and Cinci, and other teams that are in the Glen Dorsey/ Sedrick Ellis Sweepstakes.

freebirdsrams02
02-22-2008, 10:48 PM
I'd like to see him in a Rams uniform!! How old is Rogers?

Xiomera
02-22-2008, 10:52 PM
I'd like to see him in a Rams uniform!! How old is Rogers?

He turns 29 in March.

mqtirishfan
02-22-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm a little sad to see him leave. I'll miss seeing the Packers get 5 yards up the middle on a bunch of plays simply because he doesn't care enough to try.

GB12
02-22-2008, 11:16 PM
I think I heard the Jets might want him also and that maybe they could work out some deal with Rodgers-Vilma involved. Not 100% sure tho.

Lets not forget teams like Miami, Oakland, Atlanta, and Cinci, and other teams that are in the Glen Dorsey/ Sedrick Ellis Sweepstakes.
Cross off NY, Miami, and Cincinnati. He can not play in a 3-4. He has the size and physical tools to do it, but that's not the problem. If he was lazy and unmotivated in Detroit going to a 3-4 is only going to make it worse. When he's getting sacks and making plays that's when he gets motivated and plays hard. When he's stopped or the team's losing he just gives up on plays and half asses it. Against Denver he went off for a monster game and then against Green Bay he was just a body that stood there and let our subpar guards destroy him. If he goes to a 3-4 that's not going to fly. Not that it should have in Detroit, but it's that much more of a problem for a 3-4. Also he wouldn't be getting sacks, making plays, or getting the attention he wants. Playing DL in a 3-4 is as far from a glory position as you can get. The main job is to hold blockers off of the rest of the defense. Rogers wouldn't enjoy that which would make him very ineffective.

Atlanta can be crossed off as well. They are clearing their roster of headcases not adding more. I think New Orleans is the most likely destination. You'll probably trade him for a couple draft picks which Millen will throw down the toilet.

toonsterwu
02-22-2008, 11:59 PM
gb12 - cincy doesn't play a 3-4. unless they have made an announcement of late that i don't know about.

and a 2nd rounder? That would be far, far better than i expected in value.

Geo
02-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Zimmer has stated that even if the Bengals don't convert to a 3-4, they'll have some 3-4 hybrid looks/plays this season.

ESimsfan87
02-23-2008, 01:52 AM
Thank you Adam Schefter for giving us Lions fans the best news we've heard in a long while...

Geo
02-23-2008, 02:00 AM
Let's see what the Lions are able to get, that 2nd round pick mentioned is rather generous imo - especially in a great Draft class as this year's.

WMD
02-23-2008, 03:52 AM
Great news.. a 2nd Rounder for Shaun Rogers would be great. I think he'll go to a 'winning' team.. Maybe they'll feel he just needs to win to be motivated. Saints could be that team..

Sveen
02-23-2008, 08:47 AM
If I were in charge I would give you the Saints 2nd rounder for him, but maybe get a late round pick along with him in return :)

JPLUFF
02-23-2008, 09:08 AM
A 2nd rounder? I feel like Ron Burgandy when Baxter comes back to him.

Bootland27
02-23-2008, 10:41 AM
His off-season diet is in full swing.
http://www.realvideosite.com/uploads/image/1975.jpg

Addict
02-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Excellent, send his fat ass packing, if we get a second for him, good luck to that team keeping him going for a full season.

ChezPower4
02-23-2008, 01:08 PM
At least a 2nd round pick . . . I'd do it.

I'm not a Lion fan but Shaun Rodgers is one of the most dominant Defensive linemen in the NFL and at times is unblockable. He is worth more than just a
2nd round pick. If they were to give you a second round pick you should at least get one or two more picks. Mabye someone might offer a 1st round pick but that would be unlikely.

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm not a Lion fan but Shaun Rodgers is one of the most dominant Defensive linemen in the NFL and at times is unblockable. He is worth more than just a
2nd round pick. If they were to give you a second round pick you should at least get one or two more picks. Mabye someone might offer a 1st round pick but that would be unlikely.He has weight issues, durability issues and minor character concerns. A 2nd is great value.

toonsterwu
02-23-2008, 02:31 PM
there's a blurb over on rivals saying that the lions will pay him a bonus on march 1st and keep him with a weight clause added. not sure how much to put into it.

PACKmanN
02-23-2008, 02:43 PM
I could see this type of trade

Lions send:
Shaun Rogers
2nd round pick 2008 draft
3rd round pick 2008 draft

Jets send
Jonathan Vilma
Dewayne Robertson

ChezPower4
02-23-2008, 02:58 PM
He has weight issues, durability issues and minor character concerns. A 2nd is great value.

Even with those problems I feel like a 2nd round pick is almost giving him away and most teams would love to part with a 2nd round pick for Rodgers. If the Packers did not have such a deep DT rotation I would love the trade for a 2nd round pick. It's a steal

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 03:00 PM

Lions send:
Shaun Rogers

Jets send
Jonathan Vilma
Dewayne Robertson

Vilma is damaged goods... I'd rather trade Rogers for a 2nd round pick than trade him, a 2nd and a 3rd for an injury-prone LBer with a knee condition, an overpaid DT and a 3rd round pick.

Crickett
02-23-2008, 03:01 PM

Lions send:
Shaun Rogers

Jets send
Jonathan Vilma
Dewayne Robertson

I would do that in a heartbeat.

I would cry later once the realization hit me that Jonathan Vilma, my favorite current Jets player is a Lion.

ChezPower4
02-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Vilma is damaged goods... I'd rather trade Rogers for a 2nd round pick than trade him, a 2nd and a 3rd for an injury-prone LBer with a knee condition, an overpaid DT and a 3rd round pick.

Vilma is not good LB for the 3-4 scheme but look at his prodution in the 4-3 with the jets and in miami the numbers are great. Some LBs are not a good fit in the 3-4 but i think he would be a huge upgrade in Detroit.

Gay Ork Wang
02-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Cross off NY, Miami, and Cincinnati. He can not play in a 3-4. He has the size and physical tools to do it, but that's not the problem. If he was lazy and unmotivated in Detroit going to a 3-4 is only going to make it worse. When he's getting sacks and making plays that's when he gets motivated and plays hard. When he's stopped or the team's losing he just gives up on plays and half asses it. Against Denver he went off for a monster game and then against Green Bay he was just a body that stood there and let our subpar guards destroy him. If he goes to a 3-4 that's not going to fly. Not that it should have in Detroit, but it's that much more of a problem for a 3-4. Also he wouldn't be getting sacks, making plays, or getting the attention he wants. Playing DL in a 3-4 is as far from a glory position as you can get. The main job is to hold blockers off of the rest of the defense. Rogers wouldn't enjoy that which would make him very ineffective.

Atlanta can be crossed off as well. They are clearing their roster of headcases not adding more. I think New Orleans is the most likely destination. You'll probably trade him for a couple draft picks which Millen will throw down the toilet.
QFT!

i totally agree on the point shaun rogers needs attention

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Vilma is not good LB for the 3-4 scheme but look at his prodution in the 4-3 with the jets and in miami the numbers are great. Some LBs are not a good fit in the 3-4 but i think he would be a huge upgrade in Detroit.

Yeah... he had great numbers in the past. He still has OCD and it's still a reason for concern. I don't want a LBer with a serious knee condition and only a few years left... I'd rather have a draft pick.

GB12
02-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Yeah... he had great numbers in the past. He still has OCD and it's still a reason for concern. I don't want a LBer with a serious knee condition and only a few years left... I'd rather have a draft pick.
The odds of Vilma returning to form are much better than Millen picking a good player.

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 09:15 PM
The odds of Vilma returning to form are much better than Millen picking a good player.
Har har! Har har har har! Har!

Don't you have something better to do than troll the Lions' Forum?

If you go into another team's forum and talk negatively or attack other posters in the forum, it is grounds for an infraction. It's as simple as that. If you don't have anything nice to say, they stay in your team's forum.Appreciate it.

Scotty D
02-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Weren't we the worst defense in the league last year? And we are trading our second most talented defensive player? This is another step backwards. Yes a second rounder will be nice, but we have no talent on defense at all.

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Weren't we the worst defense in the league last year? And we are trading our second most talented defensive player? This is another step backwards. Yes a second rounder will be nice, but we have no talent on defense at all.

I actually feel the same way now. On one hand, I realize that he's an overweight, selfless punk with bad knees. But, on the other hand, I remember the affect he can have on a game and don't want to lose that. I'd rather draft his replacement and give them a year to sub for each other... force him to work out and don't give him a break.

He can still be dominant... which is better than not having him at all.

detroit4life
02-24-2008, 09:31 PM
i agree i would rather not move the guy but if we could get a proven starter and a pick for him i'd get over it

Addict
02-25-2008, 04:55 AM

It's funny cause it's true.

I'm gonna go cry now

Jagonsucker
02-25-2008, 01:48 PM
value of Shaun Rogers in my opinion..
either a 1st rounder and a decent player(a starter, doesnt have to be an all star but someone who is a decent starter) or a 2nd and a 3rd(either this years or next years)..if we get anything less i'll be very pissed at millen and i will call him a ******* jackass everyday for the next 30 years of my life.

with that being said i do believe we should trade Vilma for Rogers straight up because they are both equal in value. Unless we sign Al Wilson, if we do that then theres no need for Vilma.

Xiomera
02-25-2008, 01:54 PM
If Millen pulls off a Rogers for Vilma trade, I will be thrilled.

But I don't think it'll happen. It makes far too much sense for both teams.

wingboy2999
02-25-2008, 07:25 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/02/rocky_mountain_news_broncos_se.html

Looks like the Broncos are close to acquiring him. Which is bad since they owned us in that Bly deal last year.

Scotty D
02-25-2008, 08:22 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/02/rocky_mountain_news_broncos_se.html

Looks like the Broncos are close to acquiring him. Which is bad since they owned us in that Bly deal last year.

Someone already said this but I'm sure that they didn't forget Roger's game against them. I'm very worried about what we are getting back. I've heard everything from a fourth rounder to a second rounder. There were reports that Millen wanted a player back in the deal. I heard Ian Gold is on the block don't be surprised if he is in the deal. Well actually what LB does he play?

WMD
02-25-2008, 08:31 PM
If we trade with the Broncos, I predict we'll get TE Daniel Graham and a draft pick.

Xiomera
02-25-2008, 08:44 PM
If we trade with the Broncos, I predict we'll get TE Daniel Graham and a draft pick.

Ooo, that would be nice.

Hopefully Graham and a 3rd, but maybe we could get Graham and a 2nd since we would be taking Graham's salary burden from them.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-25-2008, 09:23 PM
I could see Foxworth as the player with Bryant released.

I can't imagine Rogers in that Mile High air. He's gonna be sucking wind but there won't be any.

How many times has a team traded their sack leader from the past year? Because that is what we are doing.

detroit4life
02-25-2008, 09:30 PM
foxworth is a FA

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah I forgot he's a restricted free agent

Bootland27
02-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Ooo, that would be nice.

Hopefully Graham and a 3rd, but maybe we could get Graham and a 2nd since we would be taking Graham's salary burden from them.

Denver doesn't have a 3rd.

If Denver is hesitant to trade their 2nd because of that reason, its also possible that they could be talking about swapping 1st rounders and giving us another late pick in return.

BTW, I've also heard that they're looking to trade Ian Gold. He could be part of the deal since we need a LB, although I'm not sure which LB position he plays

WMD
02-29-2008, 02:25 AM
Jets are out of the running for Shaun Rogers... they traded a 3rd and 5th to the Panthers for Kris Jenkins.

WMD
02-29-2008, 02:51 AM
AND the Broncos are reportedly out of the running for Big Baby.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/28/broncos-lock-engelberger/