PDA

View Full Version : **13 page Mock** 3 Rounds - Trades

Number 10
02-23-2008, 12:23 AM
1 - MIA - Chris Long - DE - Virginia

Went with the conventional selection here mainly because of who is calling the shots. Parcells, with every team he has had a voice, makes a push to strengthen the front seven before all else. He understands that to rebuild a team, the defense needs to be priority A. Miami has some tools set in place on that side of the ball already but the front needs a Chris Long-type to take pressure off Porter and Taylor. He can do it all, at a high level nonetheless. Considered Gholston and the other Long here but there can be value had at those spots later in the draft.

2 - STL - Vernon Gholston - DE - Ohio State

Rams need an edge pass rusher just as much as any team in the league. I like Carriker as an UT but his strengths are negated a bit with no help to his outside. Some may consider this a reach but Gholston is widely regarded the top pass rusher in this draft. These guys are always coveted and with the Giants recent success, that value may even increase a bit more. He is expected to put up a show during workouts and matching that with his production, this seems like the most logical selection. Considered Long here but I think they give Orlando Pace one more year.

3 - ATL - Matt Ryan - QB - Boston College

I felt stronger about this pick a few weeks ago but I still have this as the most likely consideration. I know some Atlanta fans don’t like this but he IS the top signal caller in this draft and could be a piece to build around. Atlanta needs to start over and doing it with a QB is the most sensible place to begin. They have talent around on offense already but it’s nullified without a QB. If he develops into what I think he will, that offense has the potential to be very dangerous in a couple years. Again, thought about Long but I think they will wait a little bit for the line. They’ll try to trade down but I can’t see anyone giving up enough for something to happen.

4 - OAK - Jake Long - OT - Michigan

Looks like Gallery has been shifted to guard for good, a spot I actually thought he did very well in this past season. There is no long term solution to protect Russel’s blind side though and that has to be in the back of Al Davis’ mind with Gallery failing to do so. I remember saying in September of 2006 that Long will be a better pro than Joe Thomas and while Thomas’ level of play exceeded my expectations in year one, I still believe this to be the case. Forget the quickness concerns Long may have, he can hack at LT in the NFL. The Raiders offense was tough to watch in 2007 but with a dominant left side of the line, a franchise QB, and a solid RB unit…the foundation is there.

5 - KC - Glenn Dorsey - DT - LSU

No brainer here in my opinion. KC will be ecstatic to get Dorsey without trading up. With Hali and Allen on the outside, Dorsey could have a field day in the middle. That three headed monster could combine for 30+ sacks in 2008 and on a defense that lacks playmakers in the secondary, the trenches will be vital. He might need to add a few pounds to hold up against the run on an every down basis but that won’t prevent the KC brass from selecting Dorsey.

6 - NYJ - Darren McFadden - Arkansas

I have go on record saying I don’t think McFadden is the prospect some make him out to be but this is a good value pick for the Jets. I think for McFadden to be at his best, he needs to be involved within a 2 back system. That’s where you have Thomas Jones for a couple years and Leon Washington for the long term future. Some will argue the Jets should look elsewhere but their offense is in need of speed and playmakers. Why not get both of those with one pick? While I personally don’t feel McFadden will be an Adrian Peterson, his ceiling is higher than any prospect in this class. If he avoids the injury bug and learns how to carry the ball, the Jets may have a top tier back for a long time. They have passed on superior talent for need far too many times throughout their history, time for those mistakes to go bye-bye.

TRADE
NE trades #7 (1) to NO for #10 (1) and #78 (3)
I am as positive as one can get that New England will trade down from this spot. They don’t like paying rookies big money, period. However, there won’t be many teams looking to trade up from the teens and 20’s, thus they settle for the 10th pick. Denver is a possibility but they don’t have a 3rd already, and they need a run stuffer.

7 - NO (f/NE) - Sedrick Ellis - DT - USC

Every time I watched the Saints this past year, I came away almost embarrassed for their defensive tackles. Hollis Thomas, who should have retired awhile ago, was the best they had to offer. Will Smith and Charles Grant have a lot of talent but without a surge up the middle, who cares? I loved Ellis at USC in 2007, he rarely got the pub he deserved because of how stacked that defense was. Truth be told, Ellis was the player that opened things up for their unreal LB core and without him, many don’t even know who Lawrence Jackson is. His performance at the Senior Bowl pushed him into the top ten and the Saints will love the disruption he brings.

8 - BAL - Brian Brohm - QB - Louisville

Really struggled with this selection, I have to admit it. I loved Brohm last year but the more I watch, the more I dislike his potential. Yeah we all know about his system complaints and the Ravens got into trouble by going after Boller, a system QB. However Brohm has intangibles that I want in a QB, what the Ravens need at QB. He is a hard nosed, come from behind winner that doesn’t need all the talent in the world around him. Ravens will need to be patient with him, which may be tough considering their recent QB failures, but 3-4 years from now I think Brohm will be a very good QB.

9 - CIN - Derrick Harvey - DE - Florida

Yes I know Carson Palmer called for changes and Marvin Lewis wants to add talent on offense, but come on. Cincinnati’s defense is awful and it’s been awful for too long. The Bengals already are loaded on offense, spending this pick on a RB would be stupid. Harvey reminds me too much of Jayson Taylor it’s scary. He’ll consistently get pressure off the edge with his explosion and pass rush moves, but he also finds a way to stuff the run. Not in a Michael Strahan kind of way, but like Taylor, he pursues well and locates the ball. He may need a year of physical development but he brings the kind of versatility the Bengals D needs.

10 - NE (f/NO) - Curtis Lofton - ILB - Oklahoma

Here is what I expect to be my first “bad pick” in the eyes of many. A reach? Probably. But I thought this one out and it makes too much sense for the Pats to do. They need some new blood on the inside more than anything. Lofton is my top rated ILB and while that may be debated, one needs to look no further than what Patrick Willis did for the Niners in year one. Lofton gives a Zach Thomas/London Fletcher mix, meaning he is stout against the run, has tremendous range, and does not miss tackles. Sounds like a Patriot to me. The Pats will have to throw a good amount of money at a #10 pick and this may be the safest financial decision they can make. And trust me, the Pats think economically about the draft more than any team in the league. I look forward to debating this with several of you.

11 - BUF - Keith Rivers - OLB - USC

Gave the defensive line a thought here but Rivers, like Posluszny, gives a tremendous about of reliability and playmaking skills. I personally believe he is a tad overrated but those that have sources within the league say scouts love this kid. It would make sense for Buffalo as they failed to find that third LB for their defense that relies heavily on that middle level. A concern I had with him was hiz size but he bulked up to the 230 range without losing his explosion. He has stud written all over him if he has the right players around.

12 - DEN - DeSean Jackson - WR - California

Note that I have the Broncos trading Walker to a Chicago, Carolina. Houston, or Washington but it won’t appear in this mock because I don’t think they’ll get anything in the top 3 rounds for him. So that leaves the Broncos with no Smith, no Walker. I love Marshall but there needs to be a speed guy next to him for Cutler to work with. Jackson could absolutely thrive within that scheme because Cutler can throw the deep ball, but Jackson also goes over the middle for the tough catch. Throw in the importance of return men in today’s game and Denver gets a kid that will help in too many ways from day one to pass up on. Their main priority is to re-build that defense but I don’t see the value here. I bet they would take Rivers if he’s available but I don’t see them trading up and I couldn’t find a match for a trade down.

13 - CAR - Jeff Otah - OT - Pittsburgh

May take some heat for this one but hear me out. Personally, I feel Otah is a better prospect than Levi Brown was a year ago. You’re talking about a guy with maybe the best feet for a LT in this draft but also carries a good amount of weight with the potential to add 10-15 more pounds. Throw him on either side of the long, move Wharton back to the inside where I think he can be a Pro-Bowler, and you have set yourself up for domination within the trenches. There were a few guys I considered other than Otah such as McKelvin, Jenkins, and Phillips with the thought of improving a weak defense. But Otah will likely be the BPA at this point and the DB class is too deep to reach for one.

TRADE:
CHI trades #14 (1) to SEA for #25 (1), #55 (2), and 2009 3rd rounder
Angelo will have a tough decision on his hands at this point. Does he go for another franchise RB, acknowledging the Benson decision was wrong? Maybe he should have traded up for Brohm? I think he can find some great players for what he needs later in this draft, therefore he’ll find a trading partner to stockpile picks. Seattle will overpay a tad and fork over three picks for a back they want in the worst way.

14 - SEA (f/CHI) - Jonathan Stewart - RB - Oregon

Shaun Alexander showed me last year that he was done. His emergence was simply a result of a dominant O-line and now that Walter Jones is on the decline and Hutchinson is in Minnesota, Alexander looks poor. Stewart is a physical gem that has the production to match it. Like I said before, I think Stewart is the top back in this class. He is not in the Adrian Peterson class but I have him a notch ahead of Marshawn Lynch. The Pacific Northwest will keep Stewart around and I would assume the Seahawks fans would love it.

15 - DET - Chris Williams - OT - Vanderbilt

Williams is an intriguing prospect. He can play both sides although long term I think he’ll be a LT in the NFL. The Lions need help up front before anything else, their line was just embarrassing all season in 2007. They might want to go with Clady here who has the higher upside but Williams offers more from the start and Clady just has too much bust potential. The Lions should go the safe route here, keep Williams at RT for a year, then swap him and Backus. Considered the safer pick in Branden Albert as well here but Williams brings more to the table.

16 - ARI - Mike Jenkins - CB - South Florida

I have not bought into the thought that McKelvin is the inevitable #1 corner in this class. Jenkins has been the most consistent DB in this draft the past two years and I think he earned the right to be the #1 guy. The Cardinals like their corners to be physical and smart, Jenkins’ top to assets from what I can see. With the Rolle move to safety official, there is a vacant spot for Jenkins to nab and considering he is the most NFL ready CB in this draft, it will be all but his. Considered an edge talent like Merling or Ellis, but Jenkins could fortify that secondary in the pass happy NFC West.

TRADE:
MIN trades #17 (1) to ATL for #37 (2) and #48 (2)
I hesitated to do this deal because I think Dimitroff will try to stockpile picks, coming from the New England school of thought. However I think his priorities will lie within getting a QB, LT and then BPA. He’ll have his QB, but their line still needs a top tier pass protector and I think he’ll have Clady rated pretty high.

17 - ATL (f/MIN) - Ryan Clady - OT - Boise State

Like I said above, Falcons will likely have the LT need rated pretty high on their board and many think he has the best LT potential in this class. Some have thought he will need a year to develop but I think at worst they could throw him over to the right side for year one. But he reminds me a bit of Tony Ugoh and might be able to hack it right away on the left side. If the Falcons can nab a franchise QB, franchise LT, and still have a good amount of picks left to work with, Atlanta’s light at the end of the tunnel could be in sight.

18 - HOU - Rashard Mendenhall - RB - Illinois

I love this match and I was hoping I’d somehow get it. Houston won’t trade up for a back but they’ll have to take Mendenhall here, a perfect fit for that zone blocking scheme. He has the explosion off his cuts to remind some of a young Clinton Portis and the power to break tackles, a la Ryan Grant. The Texans have a bunch of mediocre backs that don’t get it done every year, it’s time to add some balance to that offense and bring in a top tier back. He isn’t better than McFadden or Stewart, but he could end up having the best numbers with the scheme and supporting cast in mind. The offensive line is a thought, but with Clady off the board they can’t reach for a guy that plays the position easiest to fill in the zone blocking scheme later in the draft. Plus, I like some of the young talent Houston has in the trenches already.

19 - PHI - Kenny Phillips - S - Miami

Eagles fans will do cartwheels with this selection because they will ponder the thought of trading up for him each and every selection since pick #12. To see him fall into your laps will cause Eagles nation to go nuts. Despite the fact I have much lower opinion of Phillips than most, this could end up being a great selection if he realizes his potential. The Eagles will be without Dawkins within the next couple of years, and what’s behind him is below average. Phillips is said to have an Ed Reed mind inside of a Sean Taylor body and while I don’t think he compares to either of them, he could ease the pain of being without Dawkins.

20 - TB - Phillip Merling - DE - Clemson

Another DE from the same school in consecutive years? Weird, I know. But Kiffin likes to have a solid DE against the run paired with a pass rusher. Adams showed promise as that pass rusher from the right side, but there is a spot on the other side that needs to be filled. Merling has burst onto the scene pretty late due to a surprising declaration, but he is a damn good football player. Aaron Kampan type potential I think, could really elevate that defensive front that I thought was the missing piece to the Bucs being a legit contender in 2007.

21 - WAS - Calais Campbell - DE - Miami

Washington has not valued their draft picks all that much the past few years, but they have done a good job with most of them when they are around. They’ll be tempted to move up for Phillips and maybe even Jackson, but they decide to stay put and go after what they need the most. Campbell is a diverse DE that could thrive off of Carter’s emergence opposite of him. The Skins D-line is evolving into a strength, but it’s not quite there yet. Campbell could be the final piece to that puzzle.

22 - DAL - Leodis McKelvin - CB - Troy
NFLDC nation will think this is the steal of the draft because somehow the notion that he is a sure thing top 10 pick has spread like wildfire. I think he has tools and talent, but he’s a ways away from being that kind of CB in my eyes. He would be thrown into the perfect situation in Dallas, playing behind Henry in the nickel spot for a year and then hopefully taking over to form a nice 1-2 punch at CB with Newman. I think the Cowboys could use some new blood in the return game as well and if there was any question about taking him, that could put Jones over the edge. Gave a lot of thought to hometown WR Limas Sweed but the value later in the draft will get them a better WR than CB.

23- PIT - Branden Albert - G - Virginia

The Steelers offensive line has been sketchy at best the past couple of years and their team has taken a hit because of it. That said, their best lineman (Faneca) is leaving and there absolutely needs to be a replacement ASAP. Albert has been climbing up the boards recently and he may end up going higher than this, but as of right now I see this as being the best fit. Albert is a pulverizing run blocker, something the Steelers brass always covets, but has the pass protection ability of a tackle. Albert will be very high on the Steelers board, no question with this pick.

24 - TEN - Limas Sweed - WR - Texas

I feel good about this pick as WR is something the Titans need as much as any teams needs any position upgrade across the league. I compared Sweed to Roy Williams in 2006 and that may be a bit far fetched right now, but his potential is sky high. Reliable hands, great size, deceptive deep speed, and strong route running will make this decision easy. Him being a former teammate of Vince Young certainly won’t hurt as I’m sure Young will push for this selection and we have all seen how much the Titans value Young’s opinion. If the Titans offense is going to catch up to their defense, this pick is necessary.

25 - CHI (f/SEA) - Gosder Cherilus - OT - Boston College

I think Angelo makes that trade down from 14 with Cherilus in mind. He knows he can get his RT at this spot, which would hopefully be Williams or Cherilus. I said back in December that before their QB mess is solved, the Bears need to upgrade that line big time. I think they’ll go hard after Faneca but I still think this pick will happen either way. Cherilus will aid the run game especially and seemed to really step it up late in the year and at the Senior Bowl in pass protection. I don’t buy the notion that says you can’t spend a 1st on a career RT. He’ll be a staple in the trenches for a long time on a team that needs vast improvement there.

TRADE:
JAC trades #26 (1) to NYG for #31 (1) and #95 (3)
Jacksonville really doesn’t find any value at this selection unless there are some things I’m missing. There may be a few teams looking to trade up here like the Giants, Cowboys, Bills…but I’m not sure they will fork over what the Giants can. Giants need here is pretty obvious and with arguably their top DB still on the board, this goes without hesitation.

26 - NYG (f/JAC) - Reggie Smith - S - Oklahoma

Some are currently debating what position Smith will play at the next level, and rightfully so. He surprised me with how well he played CB this year but at the end of the day, his potential at safety is enormous. The Giants are set at CB with the youngsters stepping up, but there is still a gaping hole at safety. The Giants have gone with projects and washed up veterans, now is the time to pony up and go after a guy like Smith. He is a great centerfielder type that can explode into the box and make a hit. His coverage ability is obviously above average for a safety, and the Giants need for that is too steep to gamble on again.

27 - SD - DaJuan Morgan - S - NC State

The Chargers last pick until the 5th round needs to be a winner. Morgan is quietly sneaking his way to, or close to the top of the safety board. The Chargers really do have a nice squad on paper all around, very well balanced and put together. The secondary is the weak link though, and Morgan brings a lot to the table at safety. He hits like a truck, covers a lot of ground, and can make a play on the ball. Him and Cromartie will form a nice tandem from one sideline to the middle. Actually have thought to a RB here, a Felix Jones, or Ray Rice to replace the overlooked importance of Turner, but there is an actual need at safety with solid value here.

28 - DAL - Mario Manningham - WR - Michigan

I think Dallas would like to have Smith or Morgan, but not to the point of losing picks to move up. Hamlin is going to be there for awhile I think, the need isn’t as glaring as I thought it could be. WR or RB would be the next best option, not sure the Cowboys would pass on a Jones or Rice here but Mannigham is what that offense needs. TO is still on top of his game, but Crayton is a marginal at best possession guy and Glenn might be done. Manningham plays bigger than he is, has deep speed, and is one tough mother. I think he could end up being the top WR in this class if he is put into a system with an accurate QB and a WR to take pressure off of him. Romo, TO, and now Witten could make Manningham look like a flat out stud in year one.

29 - SF - Malcolm Kelly - WR - Oklahoma

The Niners will likely want Manningham and might be willing to trade up for him, but you have to consider that this WR class is so even after Jackson. You could make a case for Sweed, Manningham, and Kelly in any order, thus I don’t feel this would be a reach. Alex Smith still has a year or two to prove he wasn’t a mistake, and for him to do that the Niners need to improve the line and the guys he is throwing the ball to. Kelly may not be a sexy pick, but he has the best hands in this class and Smith would love to get a kid like him. He has good size, can get downfield…could end up a poor man’s Larry Fitzgerald and I’m sure Smith would take that in a heartbeat.

TRADE:
GB trades #30 (1) to WAS for #51 (2), 4th rounder, and 2009 2nd rounder
We can’t go through a year without Washington making an aggressive move here. I think there will be a lot of competition for this pick considering who is on the board, and Washington won’t think twice about that future pick. Their need at CB is too glaring to ignore and while they could sit tight and hope to get one at 51, they trade up and take a guy that some are calling the best CB in this year’s draft.

30 - WAS (f/GB) - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - CB - Tennessee State

Yes the Redskins were patient and got what they wanted with Campbell, but their secondary is on the brink of becoming a major weakness. Springs may be cut and even if he isn’t, his game has been on the decline. Carlos Rogers, I really don’t know what’s up with this injury that might keep him out another year, thus there is too much instability back there. Cromarite put on a show at the Senior Bowl and has shut-down CB written all over him. It will take a couple years to get used to this level of play and for him to pack on some weight, but this could be a long term investment that pays enormous dividends. While he has the highest ceiling of any CB in this draft, he might turn out to be a major flop. Washington is a team that has no quarrels with gambling, they can always make up for their mistakes by throwing money at free agents anyway.

31 - JAC (f/NYG) - Antoine Cason - CB - Arizona

Some feel Cason is the top DB in this draft, other feel he will struggle to be picked on the first day. When he was pondering the draft in 2007, I had him ranked above all the corners from that class. I think he’ll find his niche in the NFL, especially in Jacksonville, and become a very productive CB. Maybe not at the level of Ronde Barber, but Cason has a lot of similar tools that I think Jacksonville will covet. The Jags have been struggling to find a CB to play opposite of Mathis for awhile now, and Brian Williams is not the answer. There is a lot of money put into this secondary now with Cason but when the Colts are consistently the team to beat, you can’t be weak back there.
ROUND 2

32 - MIA - Erin Henderson - ILB - Maryland

I personally fee Henderson can play the weak side in a 4-3 better than the inside in a 3-4, but he is worth this spot in my opinion. Brings everything to the table you want a LB to and Parcells will love him. Himn and Crowder in the middle would be a nice 1-2 punch.

33 - STL - Tracy Porter - CB - Indiana

The Rams secondary was not as bad as some will want to say, but it still needs some young blood with talent. I personally love Porter and would not mind seeing the Giants go after him, has a nice speed/size duo and makes plays on the ball. Hill, Porter, Atogewe along with an improved pass rush will make things easier to watch in St. Louis.

34 - OAK - Pat Sims - DT - Auburn

With Warren Sapp done, the Raiders start the run on these high ceiling defensive linemen. Sims could turn out to be an absolute beast with the talent Oakland has on that side of the ball already and while a skill position is a thought here, Sims’ fall needs to end here.

35 - KC - Sam Baker - OT - USC

Their first choice will be Jake Long in round 1 but they won’t trade up for him, so instead they take an often unnoticed LT that has the feet to play right away. Might need a year to pack on some weight and strength but like Joe Staley, he could be a solid lineman by year’s end. Hopefully KC rebuilds that team the right way, in the trenches.

36 - NYJ - Marcus Harrison - DT/DE - Arkansas

I love this kid, a ton. I personally feel he is right below Ellis and Dorsey on the DT board but a bum knee and character concerns may hinder him a bit. But watching him this past season and knowing his knee was not 100%, I just fell in love with him. Fires off the ball well, moves exceptionally well, holds his weight well, plays with intensity….Perfect fit for the Jets’ front seven needs. Will likely be an end in the 3-4.

37 - MIN (f/ATL) - Jason Jones - DE - Eastern Michigan

His college sack numbers won’t wow anybody but don’t make a mistake about it, he lived in the backfield of his opponents. The Vikings defense is a couple pieces away from being a top flight unit that could carry them to the playoffs. Jones could be one of those pieces, a steady pass rusher that is about to explode onto the scene. Whoever gets this kid is going to be very lucky.

TRADE:
BAL trades #38 to CLE for #56 and 2009 2nd rounder
Cleveland gets nervous with all of these defensive linemen coming off the board and overpays a bit to get a guy rated high on their board. I’m sure they’ll try to move up into the 1st for Pat Sims, but in the end they won’t offer what the teams there want, a 2009 1st rounder. Baltimore really doesn’t have a player they want to go after hard here, and taking this deal is a good idea.

38 - CLE (f/BAL) - Kentwan Balmer - DE - North Carolina

Some have projected Balmer as a 1st round pick above the likes of Sims and Harrison but I’m not there yet. However this would be a good trade and pick for Savage as their defensive line is in need of a Balmer type. He can rush the passer from this spot and play 2 gaps.

39 - SF - Carl Nicks - OT - Nebraska

With Staley due to shift over to the left side in 2009, there is a newly created hole on the right side. The Niners get a reliable pass catcher in Malcolm Kelly in round 1, and go for the line here a few picks later. Could also play guard if he can’t hack it at RT.

40 - NO - Dan Connor - LB - Penn State

Like Posluszny in 2007, Connor falls to the early 2nd. This is a tremendous value pick for the Saints and despite them not picking up any young CB talent, adding Ellis and Connor to the front seven gives this defense a bright future. Connor can play in the middle or the weak side, I’d prefer the middle if I’m New Orleans.

41 - BUF - James Hardy - WR - Indiana

Buffalo will love to see Hardy drop down to #41, a player they’d consider to move up for. I like the playmakers that offense already has and the O-line is one of the more underrated in the league, but a lengthy target like Hardy could put that attack over the top.

42 - DEN -- Jerod Mayo - MLB - Tennessee

This was a tough pick, as the D-line value wasn’t there and I had a tough time finding the right LB. Some will argue that Mayo is too small for the middle but he plays big and has supposedly gotten into the 230s which is good enough for me. Worst comes to worst, he plays in the weak side and DJ stays in the middle. This run defense was atrocious last year, largely because their linebackers were weak.

43 - CAR - Chris Ellis - Virginia Tech

Love Ellis, his upside is as high as any prospect Carolina can get their hands at this point. No, despite my distaste for Peppers this is not a cheap shot at him. Carolina needs another edge talent to balance the attention Peppers obtains and in case Peppers days in Carolina are numbered, Ellis will be fine DE for a long team in this league.

44 - CHI - Felix Jones - RB - Arkansas

Chicago has to be happy with this pick. Benson isn’t the answer and while I’m sure they’ll give him a good amount of carries next year, there needs to be another option. I doubt Angelo breaks the bank on Turner, instead he goes after an explosive Jones that gives this offense another homerun threat.

45 - DET - Patrick Lee - CB - Auburn

Lee is going to be rated very high on some boards, possibly top 3. Detroit had to nab Williams in round 1 and they’d be lucky to see Lee here. Lee could fit that scheme perfectly and the need is certainly there.

46 - CIN - Chilo Rachal - G - USC

When Lewis said Palmer needs help around him, I think he was pointing to the line. Andrews and Jones are there long term, but there needs to be another interior upgrade added. Rachal is close to the level of Albert, just a notch below in every grading category. He paved the way for a potent rushing attack at USC and some Trojan fans have said he was their best lineman all year.

47 - MIN - LaVelle Hawkins - WR - California

I have Hawkins rated higher than most and I think this will be the spot he goes to. Minnesota appears to be ready to compete on the defensive side of the ball, however their offense is in need of playmakers for Tarvaris Jackson to work with. Hawkins has been overshadowed by Jackson but he’ll be a perfect fit for that offense.

48 - MIN (f/ATL) - John Carlson - TE - Notre Dame

Another upgrade to the offense that offers long term potential at a spot that is in need of an upgrade. Shiancoe was one of the bigger 2007 offseason mistakes, he won’t be there much longer with that contract. Carlson won’t ever be a Jason Witten, but a reliable blocker that gives you 60 catches a year is solid value here.

49 - PHI - Adarius Bowman - WR - Oklahoma State

Blaming McNabb for his up and down play the past couple of years has been simply unfair. When healthy, and when given a solid unit of pass catchers to work with, he is still a start. He was at his best with TO obviously and while Bowman has a ways to go before being considered a TO, he brings a similar skill set to the table. Very high ceiling pick here, Eagles will be high on him.

50 - ARI - Quentin Groves - DE/OLB - Auburn

I like what Cardinals have got going on defense. Strong secondary, a promising LB core, and a very promising interior defensive line. But there is something missing for me to consider this a strong unit. There needs to be a better pass rush off the edge, Groves gives them that hybrid guy that many were hoping Terrell Suggs would fill.

51 - GB (f/WAS) - Brandon Flowers - CB - Virginia Tech

Packers trade down from 30 and still get a guy they would have given strong consideration had they stayed put. While the Packers have the top CB duo in the NFL, there isn’t much behind them and they are running out of time to groom someone. Flowers is a physical, well sized corner that can run with the speed guys. Solid value here.

TRADE:
TB trades #52 (2) to NYJ for DT DeWayne Robertson
The Bucs upgraded their defensive front with Merling in round 1 however they still lack a stout, pass rushing attack up the middle. Roberton has gotten a raw deal in New York, just isn’t a fit for the 3-4. Bad timing too because he was coming on in the 4-3 before the switch occurred. Change of scenery and a more aggressive scheme will allow him to realize some of his potential some have forgotten about. Jets trade up for someone that fits their scheme.

52 - NYJ (f/TB) - Ahtyba Rubin - NT - Iowa State

Sure this may be a reach in the eyes of most, but the Jets have made it clear they will trade up for a scheme guy. They have lacked a NT throughout this entire 3-4 switch, but not anymore. Rubin isn’t a stud, but nose tackles are always overlooked in the 3-4 and a new duo of him and Sims will help elevate that defense for years.

53 - PIT - Charles Godfrey - CB - Iowa

Was disappointed with the Steelers secondary this year. I like Ike Taylor, but the depth behind him just isn’t there. Godfrey falls due to a loaded CB class but he really does have first round talent. Very good value pick here.

54 - TEN - Justin King - CB - Penn State

I really don’t know what is going to happen to PacMan but honestly, I see this pick going down either way. He fits the scheme very well and because he came out too early, Titans get a solid value pick here. Won’t do much in year one but a good development guy.

55 - CHI (f/SEA) - Andre Woodson - QB - Kentucky

I think Grossman will be back in 2008, but his long term potential here will be on a short leash. Woodson looked erratic at times at the Senior Bowl but I think he has too much of an upside here to pass on. Solid situation to be thrown into that will allow him a year or two to sit and watch.

56 - BAL (f/CLE) - Devin Thomas - WR - Michigan State

Yes the glaring issue with the offense has been QB, but the WR core has been very poor in Baltimore for awhile. Clayton and Mason are a decent duo, but they’re very limited physically and won’t ever create a potent passing attack by themselves. Bring in a good sized Thomas, who could have been a top 10 pick in 2009 with another big year, and the potential for that offense to take off soon is alive and well.

57 - MIA (f/SD) - Roy Schuening - G - Oregon State

It seems to be the case every year that high quality guards fall in the draft. Schuening is a very solid, NFL ready guard that will provide an instant upgrade. Parcells opts to build the defense with their first two picks but he won’t forget about the offensive line.

58 - JAC - Ali Highsmith - OLB - LSU

I noticed a few issues with the Jags linebackers this year and even though I really like Durant, there may be a need on the weak side soon. Peterson is almost done, same could be said for Smith. Ingram and Highsmith on the outside with Durant in the middle would give that Jags defense a fun unit to work with at the second level.

59 - IND - Phillip Wheeler - MLB - Georgia Tech

Tough call here with some of the defensive tackles that are still around, but Wheeler could be a hidden gem here. Really does a nice job on coverage, but also brings the heat against the run. Might be the best Cover 2 MLB prospect in the draft.

60 - GB - Tavares Gooden - LB - Miami

I think Gooden is going to have a very good NFL career. He won’t ever be the superstar his workout numbers will lead you to believe, but he’ll be a guy that a lot of teams wish they didn’t pass on. Poppinga is solid, and the job will still be his, but Gooden will be waiting in the wings.

61 - DAL - Thomas DeCoud - S - California

Dallas needs a new SS, and they’ve needed one for awhile. Dallas is finally starting to realize that and I think they’ll go after one where the value is right. DeCoud is a favorite of mine, does everything well. May not be the immediate solution but down the road he’ll contribute to a resurgence in the defensive backfield.

62 - NE - Trae Williams - CB - South Florida

The Pats always seem to grab the underrated corners that find a way to contribute right away. Williams was a damn good CB but playing on the same field as Jenkins, he never got the pub he deserved. Plays a zone scheme very well, Pats like that and need a replacement for Samuel and possibly Gaay.

TRADE:
NYG trades #63 (2) to CIN for #77 (3), 6th rounder and 2009 3rd rounder
Giants try to retain the selection they lost in their trade up, even if it’s late in the draft. Instead of going after a 4th rounder, Giants go for the future pick. Bengals have to grab the steal of the draft here.

63 - CIN (f/NYG) - Ray Rice - RB - Rutgers

Have a hard time believing Rice will fall this far but I guess it’s possible. I considered him in the 1st a couple times. The Bengals running game is weak and shows little promise in my eyes and this could be the end of Rudi. Rice is a productive mauler that will surprise some with his speed. May not be an every down back, but between him and the other backs in Cincy, balance on offense could finally be obtained.

64 - MIA - Early Doucet - WR - LSU

No receivers in Miami for Beck to work with right now, solid value here.

TRADE:
STL trades #65 (3) and 2009 comp. pick (rd 4 or 5) to DET for DT Shaun Rogers
This makes a lot of sense for both sides. St. Louis gets the space eater in the middle that they needed all year to form what could be a dangerous front with Carriker and Gholston. Detroit finally rids themselves of an inconsistent, disappointing player that does not exactly fit the scheme. The comp. pick will likely depend on games started, either way it gives Detroit what Rogers is worth right now.

65 - DET (f/STL) - Beau Bell - MLB - UNLV

Tremendous fit here for Detroit, Bell can play the MLB in that scheme at a very high level.

66 - KC - Terrell Thomas - CB - USC

Poor secondary with no promising youth at corner, can’t put it off any longer with Thomas available.

67 - NYJ - Donnie Avery - WR - Houston

McFadden and Avery bring a ton of playmaking ability to an offense that needed it. Speed guy to offset Coles and Cotchery.

68 - ATL - Frank Okam - DT - Texas

Atlanta could use a big body in the middle to form up a very nice DT duo.

69 - NE (f/OAK) - Trevor Laws - DE - Notre Dame

More of a depth pick here, could see early success as a situational pass rusher.

70 - SF - Red Bryant - NT - Texas A&M

Some are labeling him the top 3-4 NT prospect in the draft, Niners have been looking for since making the switch.

71 - BUF - Fred Davis - TE - USC

Bills added a WR to the mix already, but good value is on the board at TE, a position of need for them.

72 - BUF (f/BAL) - Eric Young - G - Tennessee

Versatile lineman that can provide quality depth at 3, maybe 4 spots.

73 - MIN (f/DEN) - Heath Benedict - OT - Newberry

Can compete for the RT spot right away whole providing depth along the line.

74 - CAR - Kevin Smith - RB - Central Florida

Pairs up with Williams to replace Foster and form a very good looking, young dual rushing attack.

75 - CHI - Anthony Collins - OT - Kansas

Future replacement for Tait, the last piece to a rebuilt O-line.

76 - DET - Jamaal Charles - RB - Texas

Tremendous value pick here, him and Jones will give them a two headed monster they have been searching for

77 - NYG (f/CIN) - Earl Bennett - WR - Vanderbilt

The most consistent WR in the country over the past three years in the toughest conference, has to mean something

78 - NE (f/NO) - Ezra Butler - OLB - Nevada

Emerging pass rusher that will give the Pats some help with their air defense

79 - HOU - Steve Justice - C - Wake Forest

Could be a top flight center in this league once he puts some weight on

80 - PHI - DeJuan Tribble - CB - Boston College

Philly kind of CB that can go man on man with those smaller, quicker receivers

81 - ARI - Steve Slaton - RB - West Virginia

Not a threat to take James’ job, but a much needed change of pace big play threat in the backfield

82 - MIN - Joe Flacco - QB - Delaware

Minnesota needs to form a backup plan should the shaky Jackson not work out

83 - TB - Aqib Talib - CB - Kansas

Not high on this kid, will need to be in the right scheme to succeed and I’m not even sure this is it

84 - WAS - Marcus Griffin - S - Texas

Doughty? Come on now. Griffin provides solid instincts and could win the job right away

85 - TEN - Jonathan Goff - MLB - Vanderbilt

Titans need a better player in the middle, Goff reminds some of DeMeco Ryans

86 - SEA - Kellen Davis - TE - Michigan State

Highest upside of any TE in this draft, physical gem, Seattle has had headaches with the TE position for awhile now

87 - CLE - Cliff Avril - OLB - Purdue

McGinnest is almost done, if not done already. Need to bring in a young gun to play opposite of Wimbley

88 - PIT - DJ Hall - WR - Alabama

Love Hall, reminds me of Berrian at Fresno State. Size, speed, hands

89 - JAC - Barry Richardson - OT - Clemson

Jags bring in another big body for the trenches, could play either spot and provides needed depth

90 - CHI (f/SD) - Jonathan Hefney - S - Tennessee

Versatile d-back with great range. Not sold on D. Manning being a starting player anymore.

91 - GB - Jermichael Finley - TE - Texas

Was not used correctly at Texas, has very good hands and Green Bay loves using Tes

92 - DAL - Robert Felton - G - Arkansas

Enormous road grader that Arkansas ran behind when they needed tough yards. Interior depth is needed

93 - IND - Oniel Cousins - G/T - UTEP

Might get a shot to play guard right away, if not will be the versatile backup

94 - NE - Adrian Arrington - WR - Michigan

Some instability at the WR position in New England right now, and a good sized, sure handed, high ceiling prospect is worth a look here.

95 - JAC (f/NYG) - Kendall Langford - DT - Hampton

I think he’ll thrive as a situational penetrator and the Jags need another body behind the big two

princefielder28
02-23-2008, 12:27 AM
I don't understand why you would have the Packers trade down when the CB with maybe the most potential is sitting on the board otherwise nice picks

Cashmoney
02-23-2008, 12:36 AM
I dont hate the 2nd and 3rd rounders, but TE and DL are two of our bigger needs. And no comment to the first round pick.

vidae
02-23-2008, 12:36 AM
I'd prefer Ellis in the first but I like the 2nd pick.

TACKLE
02-23-2008, 12:39 AM
I've contemplated the Lofton pick to the Pats if they trade down. In that senario, I think the Broncos would probably like to trade up and the Pats would rather trade down to #12 instead of #10. Although I agree that Lofton is definitely the top ILB in the draft and will definitely warrant Top 20 consideration, finding players that fit their system is very important to them. NE prefers bigger, more physical ILB's that are versatile. On D, rarely do they go with the someone who doesn't fit the mold of what they want at a position. Lofton, although is a great player, really doesn't fit as an ILB in the Pats scheme. Anyways, good mock and good effort. I'm glad to see some originality.

Number 10
02-23-2008, 12:42 AM
I don't understand why you would have the Packers trade down when the CB with maybe the most potential is sitting on the board otherwise nice picks

Cromartie is not a press corner, that was the main reason I traded down there. Flowers fits that scheme and some are talking about him as the top CB in the draft.

GB12
02-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Cromartie is not a press corner, that was the main reason I traded down there. Flowers fits that scheme and some are talking about him as the top CB in the draft.
So you meant Flowers then instead of Godfrey? Flowers is a great fit for a cover two so if Detroit's going to take a corner it'd probably be him. I don't think Flowers is as great a fit for our defense as everyone seems to think. Switch Flowers and Lee around and it's better for both teams.

Number 10
02-23-2008, 01:06 AM
So you meant Flowers then instead of Godfrey? Flowers is a great fit for a cover two so if Detroit's going to take a corner it'd probably be him. I don't think Flowers is as great a fit for our defense as everyone seems to think. Switch Flowers and Lee around and it's better for both teams.

Ah yes that was supposed to be Flowers. Notice I have Godfrey going right after to PIT.

adschofield
02-23-2008, 01:13 AM
Solid Chiefs draft, but I'd like to see us get Hardy in the 2nd, and then pick up Anthony Collins in the 3rd

thebow305
02-23-2008, 01:52 AM
Way too much offense for us and not enough defense. It will never happen.

The Legend
02-23-2008, 03:02 AM

idk i have Brandon Flowers above DRC so you can bet i love that trade lol

T-RICH49
02-23-2008, 04:38 AM
give KC Carl Nicks.He is a better fit for the power run game that Chan Gailey likes to use then Sam Baker is

Matthew Jones
02-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Since you put in a lot of effort, I'll try to give pretty lengthy comments.

I see where you're going with Curtis Lofton, and he's a possibility if we trade down further than that, but Dan Connor is probably the best inside linebacker in the draft. Lofton has some neck issues if I remember correctly which could push them away from drafting another Andy Katzenmoyer. I'd prefer Mike Jenkins or Brandon Flowers or Aqib Talib (no Leodis McKelvin) or Dan Connor depending on which of them impresses most at the combine over the next few days. Or Ryan Clady as well, that would help out a lot.

I like Trae Williams in the second. I don't think much needs to be said about this pick unless I find a better pick later on in the draft by a significant margin. (later) Wait, Aqib Talib is left? How in the world...?

Trevor Laws isn't my kind of pick. Not really sold that he's a 3-4 defensive end, and we have Mike Wright and Jarvis Green off the bench for situational pass rushers. Considering we haven't addressed safety or right tackle yet, that might be something to look at. I'd actually really like Heath Benedict or Aqib Talib here (especially Talib.)

Ezra Butler is okay but I don't think the Patriots draft two linebackers unless one of them is really late. It's even kind of a reach based on past history to assume that Butler is going to be the pick but he's not a bad fit for the Patriots or a 3-4 so it's alright.

Adrian Arrington is interesting, I'll buy it.

That was actually a really solid mock draft aside from the weird Talib thing. I have him in or near my top-15 right now, and he's a pretty solid fit for the Patriots so I doubt they pass on him three times.

Patriots16-0
02-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Terrible. We will take Lofton, but at #69, not #10.

Sveen
02-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Sedrick Ellis and Dan Connor is nice :)

Bills2083
02-23-2008, 08:31 AM
1.) Keith Rivers--- Great Pick
2.) James Hardy--- Great Pick
3.) Fred Davis--- Great Pick
3.) Eric Young--- Bad Pick. We need help at DT and CB. I'd probably go with Dejuan Tribble, or a DT.

Jay
02-23-2008, 09:53 AM
10 - NE (f/NO) - Curtis Lofton - ILB - Oklahoma
62 - NE - Trae Williams - CB - South Florida
69 - NE (f/OAK) - Trevor Laws - DE - Notre Dame
78 - NE (f/NO) - Ezra Butler - OLB - Nevada
94 - NE - Adrian Arrington - WR - Michigan

Not a huge fan of this. If you can promise me that Curtis Lofton is going to play like Patrick Willis, then fine, I am down with that. But I don't know if I believe that. If they are going to take Lofton, I think they can safely trade down some more from 10 and maybe move up with their second or something like that as part of the trade. I think we both agree 10 is way too high for Lofton. I don't mind the pick, just not there.

I am personally very high on Aqib Talib, and if he's there at 62, I'm all over it. I don't necessarily think Williams is a bad pick, but Talib is my favorite corner in the draft and I can't see him making it to the third, much last past 62.

I'd like to think the Pats would take Fred Davis over Trevor Laws at that point. Belichick loves drafting TE's.

The other two picks I don't mind.

I don't hate that draft, I just don't know that it would really work out that way...

xooberon
02-23-2008, 09:58 AM
absolutely love the panthers draft

Finsfan79
02-23-2008, 10:12 AM
I would like to see an OT unless we sign one in FA, right now we have only Carey for there.

I like the guard you picked us, not a chris long fan at all I think the kid is over-rated hugely. I would rather snag Jake Long.

Xiomera
02-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Aqib Talib falling to the third round? Detroit would surely snatch him up in the 3rd round if he's there. Hell, they would pick him in Rd. 2 if he was there . . .

Number 10
02-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Solid Chiefs draft, but I'd like to see us get Hardy in the 2nd, and then pick up Anthony Collins in the 3rd

You guys do need help at WR, almost gave you Bennett in round 3. But I think if Baker is on the board in the 2nd, the Chiefs won't gamble on someone being there with their 3rd rounder. They need O-line help as much as anyone outside of Detroit, and Baker will be pretty high on their board.

We all know of his superb pass protection skills but many overlook his run blocking. He is not a mauler, not at the level of Nicks, but he does consistently get the job done and reaches that second level with outstanding quickness. If there is one spot you sacrifice power run blocking for pass protetction anyway, it's LT.

Donkey Punch
02-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Well thought out. I can see a lot of effort went into this. I always like to compliment those people who objectively take the time to build a mock. Good job!

etk
02-23-2008, 10:41 AM
I like the Bucs offseason but I have a few things to pick at.

1) Merling is probably my 1b but I prefer Campbell even though you're not high on him. He's a better pass rusher than Merling.

2) Solid trade. I'd like to add Robertson but is he worth a 2nd rounder?

3) Not a fan of Talib at all. I'd still like to go CB...maybe Hefney there as I think he fits well as a Cover 2 corner + special teams value.

Number 10
02-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Way too much offense for us and not enough defense. It will never happen.

??

I gave you 2 players on defense the get the rebuilding of the front seven, the first 2 picks you had nonetheless, and then went to two spots on the offense that are scary bad right now.

Number 10
02-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Since you put in a lot of effort, I'll try to give pretty lengthy comments.

I see where you're going with Curtis Lofton, and he's a possibility if we trade down further than that, but Dan Connor is probably the best inside linebacker in the draft. Lofton has some neck issues if I remember correctly which could push them away from drafting another Andy Katzenmoyer. I'd prefer Mike Jenkins or Brandon Flowers or Aqib Talib (no Leodis McKelvin) or Dan Connor depending on which of them impresses most at the combine over the next few days. Or Ryan Clady as well, that would help out a lot.

I like Trae Williams in the second. I don't think much needs to be said about this pick unless I find a better pick later on in the draft by a significant margin. (later) Wait, Aqib Talib is left? How in the world...?

Trevor Laws isn't my kind of pick. Not really sold that he's a 3-4 defensive end, and we have Mike Wright and Jarvis Green off the bench for situational pass rushers. Considering we haven't addressed safety or right tackle yet, that might be something to look at. I'd actually really like Heath Benedict or Aqib Talib here (especially Talib.)

Ezra Butler is okay but I don't think the Patriots draft two linebackers unless one of them is really late. It's even kind of a reach based on past history to assume that Butler is going to be the pick but he's not a bad fit for the Patriots or a 3-4 so it's alright.

Adrian Arrington is interesting, I'll buy it.

That was actually a really solid mock draft aside from the weird Talib thing. I have him in or near my top-15 right now, and he's a pretty solid fit for the Patriots so I doubt they pass on him three times.

First off, on Talib-

Flat out, Scott has him way overrated and because many of you form your opinion around what he says, the notion that he is somehow going to be a 1st rounder is spreading like wildfire. He simply is not that good of a CB and a former scout that is mentoring me says that he has yet to talk to anyone in the league that thinks he is a top 40 guy. He lacks so many tools that you want a CB to have, his technique is terrible....some are saying teams won't even look at him until the 4th. The Pats, I don't see Belichick ever OK'ing a top 10 pick on a CB unless there is a legit shutdown prospect available. They plug late round rookies into that spot year after year that are small, quick, and athletic. Talib is none of those and honestly, he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed either. I don't see the match there at all, especially in the 1st or 2nd.

BeerBaron
02-23-2008, 10:51 AM
very nice bears draft. i would really accept that trade down. when i first saw cherilus as the pick, i was like, ok we have an answer at RT but what about long term LT?

i was ok with the jones and woodson picks, and then you threw in collins and i liked it even more.

good job! the only think i might change would be taking jamal charles over jones

but you hit most of the needs and you nailed a good trade down, so good

Number 10
02-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Terrible. We will take Lofton, but at #69, not #10.

Not a chance Lofton is there in the 3rd.

DiG
02-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Calais + DRC = AMAZING

griffin in rd3 aint bad but id prefer an OG. reed actually is legit. he played amazing this year for being thrown in a tough situation.

oh and the skins dont have a 4th this year to trade away.

BaLLiN
02-23-2008, 11:16 AM
great giants mock, pickup an extra third next year

T-RICH49
02-23-2008, 11:58 AM
You guys do need help at WR, almost gave you Bennett in round 3. But I think if Baker is on the board in the 2nd, the Chiefs won't gamble on someone being there with their 3rd rounder. They need O-line help as much as anyone outside of Detroit, and Baker will be pretty high on their board.

We all know of his superb pass protection skills but many overlook his run blocking. He is not a mauler, not at the level of Nicks, but he does consistently get the job done and reaches that second level with outstanding quickness. If there is one spot you sacrifice power run blocking for pass protetction anyway, it's LT.

I don't like the Baker pick for one reason as I stated earlier.Chan Gailey is known for a power run game and Baker is more of a ZBS guy.Carl Nicks would be better give he is more of a power type OL anyway

Vikes99ej
02-23-2008, 12:26 PM
We trade out of the first round with Kenny Phillips still on the board? I don't think so. I love the Benedict and Hawkins picks, but Carlson could slip to the third round now. I want more of a speed TE, like Keller, Kellen Davis or Fred Davis.

Turtlepower
02-23-2008, 01:01 PM
I like the Giants mock, but I would prefer Talib in the third if he is available to us. You might not be high on Talib, but you can't argue his value in the third.

Dr. Gonzo
02-23-2008, 01:26 PM
As much as I like getting two second rounders for our pick it just won't happen with Kenny Phillips still on the board. With the release of Dwight Smith S is now an even bigger need and Kenny Phillips is a franchise safey. With Hamlin getting tagged there is no way we aren't picking a Safety in either round 1 or 2. Other then that I liked the picks.

Number 10
02-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Minnesota gave me a few headaches, I just think their offense is so piss poor that they're gonna need to address WR and TE, and they'll want good prospects there, not just marginal 4th-5th rounders.

While i understand the love some of you may have for Phillips, I just don't think he fits your scheme that well. He doesn't have great range and if you put him back there with Sharper, your pass defense issues will still be there. I gave you a very high ceiling pass rusher and maybe instead of Benedict in round 3, you go Hefney. But I don't see a Phillips fit in Minnesota.

NGSeiler
02-23-2008, 05:48 PM
That's a frustrating mock for the Rams. I'm fine with the Gholston pick, assuming he doesn't disappoint this week in workouts. I'm not sure he's a good value at second overall just yet, but an impressive display on Monday would help. As for the second round, the Rams already have plenty of youth at corner - Tye Hill, Ron Bartell, and Jonathan Wade, all first day picks. Spending yet another first day pick on a corner just doesn't add up to me, especially when you have the Rams passing on a potential left tackle in Sam Baker. The trade in the third round is okay, but again, this team has more important areas of concern than DT. Trading a third round pick for an inconsistent tackle in Rogers when the Rams could add some much needed youth to the receiving corps in Donnie Avery is questionable.

In the end, you don't have a single offensive pick for the Rams on the entire first day. Anyone who watched this team last season saw that the offense struggled in large part because of a lack of depth. Baker in the second would give the Rams the third tackle they're looking for on their roster and a future starter with left side experience, and Avery in the third would give the Rams the young receiver that could help immediately as a deep threat while learning from veterans Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce so that he can contribute more in the future.

bearfan
02-23-2008, 06:06 PM
I really like the Bears draft, and the trade is a nice one. I wouldnt go w/ Woodson in the 2nd, I would have us taking Devin Thomas. Relooking at that, give us Thomas in the 2nd w/ that 2nd pick, and then take Flocco in the 3rd, and maybe a G w/ the 2nd 3rd, but S would be nice too.

hugegmenfan
02-23-2008, 06:13 PM
absolutely love the giants trades- we do not lose much value at all...reggie smith is my dream for the giants 1st round
however, i think with aqib talib on the board in the 3rd ROUND it would be a total steal to take him but good mock

skinzzfan25
02-23-2008, 06:18 PM
I love it, but we don't have a 4th this year.

Go_Eagles77
02-23-2008, 06:20 PM
I would be very happy with that eagles draft, good job!

LonghornsLegend
02-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Loved the mock, most the trades made sense for the teams and seemed realistic...

Few things...

With our 1st I love the pick, majority of Cowboys fans loved mccelvin early in the offseason before his stock seemed to rise, but he fits great and would be our return guy...I agree with the thought process of Limas Sweed, Jerry supposedly has shown him alot of interest...

2nd pick, I could live with, dont love it, but he is a playmaker who fits perfect opposite TO...Its really a good pick...

After that, at safety id love Marcus Griffin, I think we need a FS with range, and Hamlin can play SS which is really his natural position...alot of cowboys fans will say safety is a wasted pick this year, I disagree and say we need one, if phillips falls i want him, if not ill take a guy late...

But im curious as to how you think Jermichael Finley was mis-used at Texas? He was used the same way David Thomas was, and pretty much every other tight end at Texas, a staple in the passing game and somebody who stretched the field...I really dont know how he could of been used any better.

Caddy
02-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Intriguing use of a 2nd round pick. Robertson would be a decent fit, but I'm not sure he still commands 2nd round value. Merling in the 1st and Talib in the 2nd are great.

Don Killuminati
02-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Not thrilled with Jake Long in Rd1. He'd really boost our already strong running game, but I just don't trust his pass pro enough to drop that pick on him. I think the NFL edge rushers will really give him fits.

Number 10
02-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Loved the mock, most the trades made sense for the teams and seemed realistic...

Few things...

With our 1st I love the pick, majority of Cowboys fans loved mccelvin early in the offseason before his stock seemed to rise, but he fits great and would be our return guy...I agree with the thought process of Limas Sweed, Jerry supposedly has shown him alot of interest...

2nd pick, I could live with, dont love it, but he is a playmaker who fits perfect opposite TO...Its really a good pick...

After that, at safety id love Marcus Griffin, I think we need a FS with range, and Hamlin can play SS which is really his natural position...alot of cowboys fans will say safety is a wasted pick this year, I disagree and say we need one, if phillips falls i want him, if not ill take a guy late...

But im curious as to how you think Jermichael Finley was mis-used at Texas? He was used the same way David Thomas was, and pretty much every other tight end at Texas, a staple in the passing game and somebody who stretched the field...I really dont know how he could of been used any better.

I think he should have been thrown the ball more, especially when Sweed went down. Really like his game...I feel him and Kellen Davis will be the top two TEs in this class.

Number 10
02-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Not thrilled with Jake Long in Rd1. He'd really boost our already strong running game, but I just don't trust his pass pro enough to drop that pick on him. I think the NFL edge rushers will really give him fits.

I don't think Long will struggle at LT in the pros at all. This is coming from a guy that has watched 20+ Michigan games the past two years...I have seen a ton of Long. He may not have the rookie year Joe Thomas did, but it'll be close.

ThePudge
02-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Bravo! I love this mock draft. FAR more realistic than just about every other draft I've seen posted here. You took risks and used a lot of personal opinions, similar to toonster (whose Mock Drafts are also a pleasure to read.) It seems you understand the concept of the draft. Just because we give someone an Early Second Round grade, doesn't mean he'll go early in the second round, or in the second round at all. Of course I disagree with plenty of things, but I also disagreed with the Eagles trading out of the first last year and selecting Kevin Kolb, with the Bengals reaching for Levi Jones at 10th Overall, and with Bengals passing on Steven Jackson, taking Chris Perry instead. The point being: it happens. It happens every year. You seem to understand that not everyone will be happy with their team's draft and that teams will often reach and do unexpected things. That's what the draft is all about.

Derrick Harvey, Chilo Rachal, and Ray Rice are the players that the Bengals would be looking at in this scenario. Of course, with the Bengals defensive problems, this would be hard to take... but it's realistic and refreshingly original and that's what I like about it.

I don't like to cancel any player or position out and erase all possibility that the Bengals will take him, but personally, though I like him, I don't think the Bengals would go for Rice. After drafting Kenny Irons in the 2nd Round last year, we have the young home run threat we need and Rudi still has the power to grind out tough yards though his age really showed last year. With that being said, if we go running back in the second or third, I'd expect a power back such as Tulane's Matt Forte. I do love Rice and I could see him as a Bengal, but to me, a young battering ram like Forte just makes more sense.

Chilo Rachal, not sure if you realized or if you were just throwing a name in there, would be a very Bengal-like pick. At 6'6 322 Rachal is an enormous OG prospect that would bring added value and depth at both Guard and potentially Tackle. The Bengals love big, versatile O-Linemen, and Rachal is just that. It may not fill a priority need, but he fits the system very well, so good job. Another idea would be Newberry's Heath Benedict.

At the end of the day, I read this mock a couple times, and as I said, I disagree with a lot. However, it's original and overall just a good read. The most glaring difference between you and I evaluate Chad Henne. Henne seems to be flying up boards at a blistering pace. Still, right now, I have Henne higher than most with a Mid-Late 1st Round grade; With that being said, it was surprising for me to not see Henne's name in there. You're of course entitled to your opinion, but personally, I really don't see it...

d34ng3l021
02-24-2008, 02:56 AM
I am pretty sure there is no way we take Ryan with Long and Ellis on the board.

And Long is a terrible pick for the Raiders. Too reminiscent of Gallery, and a terrible fit for the ZBS that they run.

And I dont like Falcons trading up for an OT in a draft with so many great ones. If it were a QB, then I wouldnt mind so much.

Crazy_Chris
02-24-2008, 03:01 AM
The Vikings aren't going to trade down that far with Kenny Phillips, Phillip Merling, Calais Campbell, and Reggie Smith all still on the board.

Number 10
02-24-2008, 09:03 AM
I am pretty sure there is no way we take Ryan with Long and Ellis on the board.

And Long is a terrible pick for the Raiders. Too reminiscent of Gallery, and a terrible fit for the ZBS that they run.

And I dont like Falcons trading up for an OT in a draft with so many great ones. If it were a QB, then I wouldnt mind so much.

I gave serious consideration to Long for the Falcons, right now I'm split on him and Ryan pretty much right down the middle. But from reading some reports about how high Atlanta is on Ryan and the enormous need they have there at QB...and the separation Ryan has created between himself and the other QBs, seemed to be a logical pick. Don't see the Ellis fit...they're in need of a bigger body in the middle next to Babineux (sp), whom I REALLY like as an UT.

Long can move, he really can. There is a minconception here about him and it drives me nuts. I doubt you have any Michigan tapes but try to get your hands on something, whether it's thr internet or whatever...he gets to the second level very well.

Number 10
02-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Bravo! I love this mock draft. FAR more realistic than just about every other draft I've seen posted here. You took risks and used a lot of personal opinions, similar to toonster (whose Mock Drafts are also a pleasure to read.) It seems you understand the concept of the draft. Just because we give someone an Early Second Round grade, doesn't mean he'll go early in the second round, or in the second round at all. Of course I disagree with plenty of things, but I also disagreed with the Eagles trading out of the first last year and selecting Kevin Kolb, with the Bengals reaching for Levi Jones at 10th Overall, and with Bengals passing on Steven Jackson, taking Chris Perry instead. The point being: it happens. It happens every year. You seem to understand that not everyone will be happy with their team's draft and that teams will often reach and do unexpected things. That's what the draft is all about.

Derrick Harvey, Chilo Rachal, and Ray Rice are the players that the Bengals would be looking at in this scenario. Of course, with the Bengals defensive problems, this would be hard to take... but it's realistic and refreshingly original and that's what I like about it.

I don't like to cancel any player or position out and erase all possibility that the Bengals will take him, but personally, though I like him, I don't think the Bengals would go for Rice. After drafting Kenny Irons in the 2nd Round last year, we have the young home run threat we need and Rudi still has the power to grind out tough yards though his age really showed last year. With that being said, if we go running back in the second or third, I'd expect a power back such as Tulane's Matt Forte. I do love Rice and I could see him as a Bengal, but to me, a young battering ram like Forte just makes more sense.

Chilo Rachal, not sure if you realized or if you were just throwing a name in there, would be a very Bengal-like pick. At 6'6 322 Rachal is an enormous OG prospect that would bring added value and depth at both Guard and potentially Tackle. The Bengals love big, versatile O-Linemen, and Rachal is just that. It may not fill a priority need, but he fits the system very well, so good job. Another idea would be Newberry's Heath Benedict.

At the end of the day, I read this mock a couple times, and as I said, I disagree with a lot. However, it's original and overall just a good read. The most glaring difference between you and I evaluate Chad Henne. Henne seems to be flying up boards at a blistering pace. Still, right now, I have Henne higher than most with a Mid-Late 1st Round grade; With that being said, it was surprising for me to not see Henne's name in there. You're of course entitled to your opinion, but personally, I really don't see it...

Thanks for the compliments-

Rice was just too good of a value pick at that spot. I think he has an outside shot at being a 1st rounder, he has been running sub 4.4 40's here in Jersey at Parisis....and teams are looking for backs like him. Short, strong based, explosive, reliable kind of guys. I hate Johnson, I think he is done in Cincy very soon and I don't think Irons or Perry are guys you pass up on a RB like Rice for. Rachal would be an excellent fit for your O-line woes, agreed.

Henne is a tough call for me, as are a lot of QBs in this class. At the end of the day, I don't feel there are many teams that will be willing to move up for him. The teams that need a young QB that did not already take one in this draft have much bigger needs, thus he could slip a bit. I have heard the Rams are giving him a long, hard look so keep your eyes open for that, certainly possible as a 3rd-4th round pick to them.

02-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Raiders had much bigger issues stopping the run last season. I could definitely see an OT in the second though.

Number 10
02-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Raiders had much bigger issues stopping the run last season. I could definitely see an OT in the second though.

As in you want to go with Ellis/Dorsey at #4? Not sure how I feel about that because neither of those two will upgrade your run defense the way you would want a #4 pick to. I like the 2nd round DT prospects that can be had around your pick and you have to like a Long/Sims duo much more than a Dorsey/Baker combo.

ThePudge
02-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the compliments-

Rice was just too good of a value pick at that spot. I think he has an outside shot at being a 1st rounder, he has been running sub 4.4 40's here in Jersey at Parisis....and teams are looking for backs like him. Short, strong based, explosive, reliable kind of guys. I hate Johnson, I think he is done in Cincy very soon and I don't think Irons or Perry are guys you pass up on a RB like Rice for. Rachal would be an excellent fit for your O-line woes, agreed.

Henne is a tough call for me, as are a lot of QBs in this class. At the end of the day, I don't feel there are many teams that will be willing to move up for him. The teams that need a young QB that did not already take one in this draft have much bigger needs, thus he could slip a bit. I have heard the Rams are giving him a long, hard look so keep your eyes open for that, certainly possible as a 3rd-4th round pick to them.

I understand the value deal and I've heard the reports on Rice running the 4.38. I think he'll run roughly a 4.42-4.44 today, which would push him up draft boards still. However, there is a difference between taking the best player available and trading up for the best player available. The harsh reality is the Bengals really don't trade up for anybody. Since Marvin Lewis has harrived, they trade down occasionally, but never have traded up. The Bengals value their picks and will "likely" be trying to use the first few rounds of this draft to beef up their personnel for their defensive scheme, whether it ends up being 3-4 or 4-3. Saying that, I mean that I can't see them trading up for Rice. Sure, I could see them taking Rice, as well as Rachal; but I'm not sure the Bengals would trade up for a running back to throw into a crowded backfield.

Of course it's a respectable opinion, I just feel differently. I think Chad Henne is one of two or three guys who could come in and start immediately, though I'm not sold on any becoming the next Brady or Manning. Henne at 6'2 7/8 230 has an NFL body, was a four year starter at Michigan (one of the most prolific starters in Michigan history may I add), has a hell of an arm, he's tough, durable, and is fairly accurate most of the time. I like Henne as a prospect more than I like guys like Joe Flacco, Andre Woodson, Josh Johnson, etc. In fact, insted of putting him in that 2nd Tier, I have moved Henne up to the 1st Tier with Matt Ryan and Brian Brohm. I've been hearing the Bears, who hold the 14th Pick, are very interested. That would make for one of the early surprises on draft day. Seems we just have differen't opinions, and that's fine.

YoJoeBucsFan
02-24-2008, 12:19 PM
No way should the Bucs trade a 2nd round pick for a guy who is a bust.

Number 10
02-24-2008, 12:38 PM
No way should the Bucs trade a 2nd round pick for a guy who is a bust.

Define bust...

I consider William Joseph to be a bust, a guy that can't start in this league despite being a 1st round pick. I'm not sure how much you actually know about Robertson, but he was really coming on before the switch the the 3-4. You let him play in a one gap scheme in a 4-3 and you have yourself the inside presence you have been missing out on for awhile.

etk
02-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Define bust...

I consider William Joseph to be a bust, a guy that can't start in this league despite being a 1st round pick. I'm not sure how much you actually know about Robertson, but he was really coming on before the switch the the 3-4. You let him play in a one gap scheme in a 4-3 and you have yourself the inside presence you have been missing out on for awhile.

But he's still not worth a 2nd round pick...

Number 10
02-24-2008, 01:45 PM
But he's still not worth a 2nd round pick...

In this draft, he sure is. After those top 4-5 DTs are off the board there is very little to get excited about. You're gonna have to trust me on this one, Robertson would be a very nice addition for the Bucs.

Chucky
02-24-2008, 03:49 PM
With Charles Godfrey on the board the Bucs would be very stupid to trade the pick for a player whose value is likely a 4th and has a massive deal.Especially considering the bucs already adressed part of their D-line in round one. Charles Godfrey will be an amazing cover-2 corner and would be great for the defence

Number 10
02-25-2008, 10:03 AM
With Charles Godfrey on the board the Bucs would be very stupid to trade the pick for a player whose value is likely a 4th and has a massive deal.Especially considering the bucs already adressed part of their D-line in round one. Charles Godfrey will be an amazing cover-2 corner and would be great for the defence

I gave you a CB in round 3 that has good value in that spot. I think that for your defense to get to the level of where it once was, the middle of that line needs to be solidified. I think the course of action would be to pay Robertson decent money in 2008, and restructure/extend before the 2009 season based off that performance.

gdamac
02-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Good Raider picks, I would love that draft.

21ST
02-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Ok first pick for the redskins, the trade was horrible we dont need a corner on day 1 and we really dont need a rookie saftey on the roster at all. Reed Doughty is solid and will hopefully get better.

Thunder&Lightning
02-26-2008, 06:48 AM
if smith or cherilus is not available i would rather see them get Balmer or Connor.

A Perfect Score
02-26-2008, 08:09 AM
NO! NO NO NO anyone but brian brohm please, anybody i dont care who, do not give us a QB at #8 overall they all scream bust, ESPECIALLY BROHM! Id much rather have josh johnson in the 2nd then brohm in the first. Give us clady...mcklevin...jenkins...hell, give us derrick harvey or keith rivers...jusst not brian brohm.

Dark Apprentice
02-26-2008, 02:32 PM
On the Bengals:

I like Derrick Harvey at #9 (though I'd rather that Dorsey fell to us by some miracle. . . in the fantasy-world inside my head, at least. :))

I'm not convinced of Rachal in round 2.
I mean, I'm sure he'd be a good value there, but honestly, I don't know how the Bengals would use him at this exact moment.

Levi and Anderson on the outside (assuming Anderson goes down or retires, Andrews on the outside to replace.) Ghiaciuc is fairly entrenched at center, not that they'd want Chilo there anyway. And at guard we have
A) Bobbie Williams and
B) Andrew Whitworth (6'7" 335)

So, I don't know that it'll happen, even though it would be a great value.
Maybe if they plan on Bobbie getting replaced in the next couple of years, but I think Whitworth was a great pick in last year's second (certainly was when O-Linemen started dropping like flies last season) and I think he deserves one of the spots at G.

I could see Chilo getting the other, but he'd probably have to wait, and I'm not sure if the Bengals are willing to invest that early in the draft in their O-Line again right now.

I would rather have Quentin Groves in that spot, instead (according to who's left in your mock). . . Four of our LBs this year are free agents, and I don't think Miller, Marshall, nor Dhani Jones would be automatic starters even if they did re-sign (obviously not Marshall, at least.)

So then we could have Brooks in the middle, Groves on one side, and Jeanty at the other spot.

Ray Rice would be a superb value pick in the third, but, again, I don't know if it could happen -even if by some miracle he falls that far- unless the coaching staff is sold that Rudi won't be the answer, and the Irons can't take the load if he comes back from injury (wouldn't surprise me on either count after last year's disaster.)

Assuming Rice wasn't there, I would rather have (in that trade with the NYG slot) Frank Okam to shore up the line when Thornton isn't starting anymore.

DA

Number 10
02-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Ok first pick for the redskins, the trade was horrible we dont need a corner on day 1 and we really dont need a rookie saftey on the roster at all. Reed Doughty is solid and will hopefully get better.

You're wrong about CB, very much so. Springs is almost done in Washington and Rogers has been disappointing when he gets on the field, which has been a rarity. Some are saying he may not even be ready for the opener in 2008? Ouch.

And Doughty is a decent backup, but he won't ever be a reason a team doesn't draft someone.

Number 10
02-26-2008, 03:36 PM
On the Bengals:

I like Derrick Harvey at #9 (though I'd rather that Dorsey fell to us by some miracle. . . in the fantasy-world inside my head, at least. :))

I'm not convinced of Rachal in round 2.
I mean, I'm sure he'd be a good value there, but honestly, I don't know how the Bengals would use him at this exact moment.

Levi and Anderson on the outside (assuming Anderson goes down or retires, Andrews on the outside to replace.) Ghiaciuc is fairly entrenched at center, not that they'd want Chilo there anyway. And at guard we have
A) Bobbie Williams and
B) Andrew Whitworth (6'7" 335)

So, I don't know that it'll happen, even though it would be a great value.
Maybe if they plan on Bobbie getting replaced in the next couple of years, but I think Whitworth was a great pick in last year's second (certainly was when O-Linemen started dropping like flies last season) and I think he deserves one of the spots at G.

I could see Chilo getting the other, but he'd probably have to wait, and I'm not sure if the Bengals are willing to invest that early in the draft in their O-Line again right now.

I would rather have Quentin Groves in that spot, instead (according to who's left in your mock). . . Four of our LBs this year are free agents, and I don't think Miller, Marshall, nor Dhani Jones would be automatic starters even if they did re-sign (obviously not Marshall, at least.)

So then we could have Brooks in the middle, Groves on one side, and Jeanty at the other spot.

Ray Rice would be a superb value pick in the third, but, again, I don't know if it could happen -even if by some miracle he falls that far- unless the coaching staff is sold that Rudi won't be the answer, and the Irons can't take the load if he comes back from injury (wouldn't surprise me on either count after last year's disaster.)

Assuming Rice wasn't there, I would rather have (in that trade with the NYG slot) Frank Okam to shore up the line when Thornton isn't starting anymore.

DA

It's surprising to me how some Bengals fans are content with their O-line. I said back in August that this unit would hold this offense back and while the defense is really what held the team back from succeeding, the O-line was still very poor. The loss of Steinbech was huge in my eyes and Rachal would an immiediate upgrade over your LG situation. I see Andrews as the future RT which may be sooner than you want to think and that newly created hole at the other guard spot could be given to a Whitworth type.

I can't see anyone have confidence in Rudi anymore, and I have never liked Irons. Rice will be the depenable back you guys have needed since Palmer took over.